Register

<< First5657585960
Author Topic:
QueenPotato36_0
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Hagrid's Hut - For all Harry Potter discussion- Movies & Books
on: October 08, 2007 05:18
Yes,that's true,nobody deserves to die,but life isn't fair,even for fiction characters.You're right.

Have you heard it?
A few days ago J.K. revealed in a press conference or something like that that she has some more revealings,
s
p
o
i
l
e
r

that Dumbledore was homosexual,and his one and ture love was Grindewald,the dark wizard.
Really I don't care if Dumbledore is homosexual or not,I still have the same respect I have for him when I first read HP 1 (years ago).
Then J.K. said that in the early script for the HBP film they were going to have Dumby saying something about a girl he loved long ago,but I thinkl(THINK)she ordered to scrap it.
Now they were going too far(the movie makers).
They have deleted some things(house elves at 4) and added a few things(wizard rock at the ball),but come on,

where in all the saga Dumbledore mencions that he loved a girl,or at least hinted?Well,also we never thought of him being homosexual(it nevers hints in the books).
But still,
themovie-makers shoudnt take so much freedom at adapting the novels.The are telling,after all,J.K.'s stories,not theirs

[Edited on 22/10/2007 by QueenPotato36_0]
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2007 07:45
That Dumbledore business amused me a lot. I suppose JK was thinking, "what can I do to shock them that I haven't done yet?"

She started out with crude references to bodily functions, then threw in a bit of torture, then a murder or two, then went on to mass murder and finally the Dumbledore bit. You'll notice that every item on the aforementioned list is worse than the previous one. Which leads us to the question... does JK consider Dumbledore's private life to be more shocking than mass murder?

[Edited on 26/10/2007 by pv]
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
longbe4thesun
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2007 07:56
The thing is, if Jo isn't happy with the movies, than she probably won't let it slip onto the silver screen. If she's pleased, than it's full steam ahead to the silver screen. I don't think she'd ever allow anything she wasn't happy with to be released to the public.
vyktori
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 14, 2007 04:23
I was quite disappointed with the seventh book - I was so excited, stayed up until all hours of the morning (by that time at least) and went for days on a few hours sleep and for what? To see half of the characters die, to listen to Harry, Ron and Hermione about one thing or another, and to watch, after all that, my absolute favourite character die. Then to be reminded about said death in this huge but beautiful chapter and then a name on a child and...

Prisoner of Azkaban is my favourite book out of all of them, but my least favourite of the movies, so far. I think because I had such high expectations that when they weren't met...

Whatever. I can't expect the world, right?

(Snape is my favourite character, by the way. I sobbed for, literally, the last fifty to seventy pages of the book. In fact, I could've finished the book a few hours before I did if I hadn't spent so much time crying. I went through an entire box of tissues! -- anyway, moving on from my pathetic-ness...)

[Edited on 15/11/2007 by LadyCeleborn]
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2007 08:45
I'm excited for the release of the th movie to DVD in December. Just a few weeks away now. I didn't get to go for my usual marathon viewings at the theater when it was out. So I have been waiting for the DVD to have a chance to see it again and again and again.

Just a note on the "Dumbledore is gay" business: Exactly, what purpose did it serve to tell the world that. Heavens I wish we could keep other people's (real or fictional) sex life out of the general media. There are thousands of kids now asking Mom and Dad, "What's a homosexual?" Why? That's all I want to know. What was the purpose of that comment?

Shakes head in disgust at the aforementioned revelation.
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: November 19, 2007 10:45
Just a note on the "Dumbledore is gay" business: Exactly, what purpose did it serve to tell the world that. Heavens I wish we could keep other people's (real or fictional) sex life out of the general media. There are thousands of kids now asking Mom and Dad, "What's a homosexual?" Why? That's all I want to know. What was the purpose of that comment?

Shakes head in disgust at the aforementioned revelation.

I know exactly what you mean brandywine. I was rather displeased by the way she choose to announce it and don't see the point. Also, in particular this comment taken for the transcripts of the reading at Carnegie Hall as posted on Leaky Cauldron:
"You needed something to keep you going for the next 10 years! ...Oh, my god, the fan fiction now, eh?" We all know what the fan fiction comment means. A children's author needs to take some sort of responsibility to her younger fans. It is up to parents to decide how, when and where to have discussion of this sort with their children. By the simple fact that it wasn't necessary to the story and by the first part of the comment quoted above it does seem that the point was to keep herself in the spotlight a bit longer and stir up some controversy which I find a bit disgusting. But that is just my opinion.

Edited for clarity of meaning

[Edited on 11/20/2007 by Dolwen]
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2007 12:35
I'm failing to see what's so "disgusting" about the situation..
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2007 11:17
I'm failing to see what's so "disgusting" about the situation..

I think what's disgusting about the situation, from a parental point of view, is that the announcement showed a certain irresponsibility.

As Dolwen said, parents prefer to use their own judgement to decide when to talk to their kids about things like this. Even the most broad minded parents reserve the right to choose what to tell their kids, and when. And therefore it's irresponsible of an author who's writing for children to deprive parents of this right. Rowling's juvenile desire to shock the public & stay in the limelight is amusing to me as an adult fan, but as a parent, I have to say that I'm not amused.

I believe that in the same discussion Rowling also said that an important message of her books is to urge her young fans to "question authority." This is another thing that a parent would find disturbing.

Until now, in children's literature, portraits of "bad" authority have always been balanced by portraits of "good" authority. For every Sauron, there's always been a Gandalf. But in Rowling's work, the depiction of authority is heavily skewed towards the bad. She gives her young readers a pessimistic view of authority, which she claims is "realistic." (Claiming to be 'realistic' is something that many pessimistic authors tend to do - the poet T.S. Eliot was often accused by critics of 'pessimism posing as realism.')

If you're writing for adults, it's okay to present whatever view of life you have to your readers, as they're mature enough to judge whether they agree with you or not. But if you're an adult writing for children, you need to remember that you're actually shaping their thinking, and that your influence is much greater.

In an effort to be popular with children, Rowling has taken the simple, but effective route of saying that adults should be treated with suspicion. (Her young readers get a huge laugh out of the parade of dysfunctional adults that she sets before them.) And in a public interview, she has gone as far as to say that the most important message of her books is that all figures of authority should be treated with suspicion. As a parent, I don't appreciate that.

[Edited on 28/11/2007 by pv]
frodofan14
CoE Volunteer & Realm Head of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: January 25, 2008 06:07
umm.... well we havent really had much discussion this year.... sooo.... um... anyway.

ive been re-reading all the HPs and im on OotP and im noticing stuff that i didnt before. like i think it was in the 4th one but im not sure he said he was more nervous then when he was showing his uncle his report card that said he dyed his teachers hair blue. i really dont remeber that from before.
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2008 10:46
I had an interesting thing happen the other day. One of my third grade students has just finished the last HP book and she came up to my desk crying. She said she just loved the books so much that now she didn't want to read anything. She just couldn't imagine reading any other book than Harry Potter.

Those books have had a lasting and in my opinion good influence on children. I have several students who are reading them this year and it's really turned some kids on to reading that otherwise were reluctant readers.
legolijah_lover
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2008 11:56
HELLOOOOOOOOO LORD OF THE RINGS FREAKS! in a friendly way. I am sort of kind of a LOTR freak, but mostly Harry Potter. For any serious HP fans you have probably heard of the Magical Tours Internship contest. If you haven't, keep reading. ANyway, the winner gets to be Mugglenet.com's intern this summer while going on an intense tour of HP sites. I am not old enough to qualify, but my awesome cousin Joel IS, and in fact one of the 24 semi-finalists!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yayyyyyy!!!!!! SO excited for him. Anyway, he and I would really appreciate if you would watch his video (at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJRdxpN1p7o

OOORRRR [just in] go to www.mugglenet.com and take the poll on the right hand side. Just check the circle next to "Joel". Thanks so much!

and yeah. Voting will start tonight, so keep the link bookmarked and check again tomorrow. Thank you sooo much!! You have no idea what it will mean to him if he wins.

[Edited on 18/2/2008 by legolijah_lover]
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2008 10:46
I came across an interesting article on Snape (written before Deathly Hallows) in the Harry Potter Lexicon website.

Here's a link to it - it's called Dumbledore vivens Snapeque bonamicus

And here are some excerpts from it :

There is another genre that Rowling has been playing with, and that is the buddy movie. In the “buddy” plot, two people initially dislike each other, but they have the same objective, are forced by circumstances to work together, and eventually come to respect each other, or like each other, or fall in love. Harry and Snape are never going to fall in love, and they are never going to like each other in the ordinary sense. But they are due for a big dose of mutual respect.

(...)

In the relation of Harry Potter and Severus Snape, the one misunderstanding, the other refusing to explain, their eventual alliance triggered by a crisis, J.K. Rowling is working yet another of the many recent variations on Pride and Prejudice, with the failings of Darcy and Elizabeth assigned respectively to Snape and Harry.

(...)

Snape is not an unsuitable candidate for the tearjerking “go on, do it for me” scene.

(...)

The way is open for Harry and Snape to form the strongest of bonds, without the author having to show them associating afterwards, and the way is open for the sacrifice of love once made by Lily Evans Potter to be matched by another, made by somebody who admired her.

(...)

...there is also, within the context of a children’s book, a moral lesson to be taught. The book’s juvenile readers must learn, along with Harry, that “good” is not a synonym for “nice.”
Galethiel
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: April 12, 2008 08:45
Its funny how the author of that article (^) seemed to *know* what would happen in DH.

Did anyone else suspect about the whole Snape & Lily thing? I didn't, when I read it I was like: ?...
But I like it! :love::cry:
frodofan14
CoE Volunteer & Realm Head of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: April 12, 2008 01:36
I kind of suspected it, but not really. I mean, that was one of the only logical reasons Snape would hate James, other than James being in Gryffindor and being better at Quidditch. But i guess teenagers do hate people for no reason.
Galethiel
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: April 13, 2008 02:48
I honestly thought Snape was evil . Of course, I'm ashamed of that now :sob:
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: April 14, 2008 02:05
Oh I know Galethiel and knowing so much about Snape from his memories as a child helped me understand his character more clearly. You know actually Harry and Snape had things in common. Snape was
made fun of by James Potter and the gang and felt so alone as Harry did at times.
NessaEmerald
Realm Leader of Nessa
Send Message
on: May 01, 2008 08:18
Oh goodness, I love Snape, my family doesn't understand it, but they haven't read the Deathly Hallows... I just made a website for my book report on the Deathly Hallows. It was fun!
HaldirofLorien13
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2008 12:40
Does anyone know if the Deathly Hallows movie is being split into two parts?
longbe4thesun
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2008 08:32
Yes. Leaky found this article in the LA Times that confirmed back in March that there will be 2 Deathly Hallows movies.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: July 15, 2008 12:50
Aaargh! I want a HBP trailer and I want it now! :banghead:
LadyCeleborn
Palantir Mod, Guardian of Ulmo's Realm & Resident Eomer Fancier
Send Message
on: July 30, 2008 03:27
Here's the 1st trailer that has hit the internet for the Half-Blood Prince

114 Days left!
Dolwen
Send Message
on: July 31, 2008 03:36
Thanks for posting that LadyC. The trailer is awesome, can't wait til the movie comes out.
harrypottergirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 08, 2008 07:19
i like the actor who plays mr malfoy, ( jason iasac) he awsome!!!!!:blush:
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 09, 2008 06:47
WOW That trailer looks great LadyC! I can't wait for the HBP movie. :drool:
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. - Psalm 23
longbe4thesun
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2008 03:29
Hey! How many people here have heard that WB pushed back the release date?

Here's the link for anyone who's interested: http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/harry-potter-6-moves-to-summer-2009/
LadyCeleborn
Palantir Mod, Guardian of Ulmo's Realm & Resident Eomer Fancier
Send Message
on: August 15, 2008 06:40
I was extremely upset that they pushed it off to July 17th, 2009! Are they crazy...sheesh. That is such a disappointment...:cry:

Here is another article about it.

[Edited on 15/8/2008 by LadyCeleborn]
longbe4thesun
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2008 08:09
Well, there's been a lot of kerfluffle going on between studio extras/voice actors and the studios that has halted production all together of a lot of movies. I think it's mostly been resolved by now, however, that means that a lot of movies slated to go out the summer of 2009 may be coming out later - like the fall or winter.
Holding HBP may just give something for movie goers to see other than maybe an indie movie or two. It's a window of opportunity to maximize profits. That and they want to be the Batman of next year.
*Shrug* I'm not really upset about it.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: August 15, 2008 01:39
I'm bummed but at least the new James Bond movie's coming out in November. So I have at least one good movie to look forward to this fall.
They'd better give us more teaser trailers :evil:
Dolwen
Send Message
on: August 16, 2008 03:48
I am pretty upset by the news also. If WB had some sort of problem that was unavoidable that would be one thing but to push it back because they hope they can make more money in the summer is ridiculous. Mugglenet.com article.
At least the fans haven't delayed in making a petition, petiton spot Harry Potter6 for anyone who is interested.
longbe4thesun
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2008 05:31
I think it's too late for that sort of action. Twilight has moved its release date to November 21.
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2008 08:17
July 17th, 2009! WHAT!!
WB are nastier than a bunch of Gollums!!! :angry:
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. - Psalm 23
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: August 31, 2008 03:11
Iwas very upset and yes I must confess I was angry because I think it all boils down to greed. A howler on WB.
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: February 06, 2009 03:09
Oy this thread has gotten quiet! What happened??!!!?

Has anyone read the little "The Tales of Beetle the Bard" book? Is that what it's called? Just curious how it is. I saw it at the bookstore and am wondering if I should get it...
Care76
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2009 03:03
^^ The Tales of Beedle the Bard is pretty cute. It's not great like a book in the series, but the stories are very funny and interesting. The Dumbledore commentary is very witty and makes the book. It's worth getting just to go with the rest of your collection, IMO.

About Snape (SPOILERS for DH), I had guessed he was in love with Lily after I read OotP. I didn't guess that they were actually good friends though. That surprised me. I was also in the 'Snape is good' camp before DH came out. I can't wait to see the part in the movie when Snape asks Harry to look at him before he dies. :cry:

[Edited on 16/2/2009 by Care76]
HaldirofLorien13
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2009 11:33
The date for the release of HBP is now JULY 15!!!!!
LESS waiting!!!!
I can't wait!
The trailers look amazing. Although it wasn't my favorite book ( I still liked it) it may very well be the best movie, if it is anything like the trailer. Which I would hope.
<< First5657585960
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email