Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Orphan
on: January 10, 2005 10:16
Slowly and carefully the group retreated. As they left the path Celebûrion turned west sharply. On they marched through the dense forest until Celebûrion found what he had been looking for. They had neared the camp of the wildmen from another side, where the forest suddenly appeared to stop. But the open space beyond did not give them away to the wildmen- it was a small plateau overlooking the encampment. Obviously the wildmen had felt this mountainside would provide some more security as it was sheer impossible to attack the camp from this western side. For the purposes of this small group however the psition was perfect as they could keep watch on the camp quite easily now.
Considering the situation Celebûrion made another sugestion. "Maybe some of us should stay here and keep watch, while the others return to let the eagles know the position of the camp. Only then should we try to attack, if that is still what we consider to do." After a short pause he flushed a little and added: "I'd volunteer to stay behind, as the thought of flying on an eagle's back is not at all to my liking."
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2005 08:38
Den grinned and shrugged, "I'd say the same, it must be a family thing. Neither my brother or I can stand heights!" He checked the position of his weapons as he considered, "Anorion, Galliel, you go back. The rest of us will stay here and look the place over."
When the other two had disappeared into the forest he turned to Elwyn and Celeburion, "Take care not to get outlined against the sky." Was all he said as he crouched down and began to move towards the edge of the plateu, getting lower and lower as he wnet until he was crawling on his stomach using his elbows and knees to propell himself forward.
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2005 12:32
Celebûrion watched the others as their forms disappeared into the shadows of the forest. He felt extremely nervous as though something bad might happen any moment. But then again he had basically felt nervous continusly since they had left Rivendell. He sighed and turned to Den and Elwyn, who were streched out on the earth near the edge of the plateau.
Following his intuition he sat down where he stood facing the forest.
Soon he heard the first faint sound of cracking wood. As it was soon followed by a second sound, a little closer this time, Celebûrion joined the others, crawling as they had done. "Someone aproaches from the forrest. They're no Elves. To loud for that."
Not waiting for their reactions he returned to the spot where he had held watch, getting his weapons out of his pack once more. The others took their places to his sides, weapons ready, when a large number of wild men stepped out from among the trees, also bearing weapons at the ready.
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2005 08:07
"Good Day Gentlemen!" Den smiled cheerily, "Can I interest you in some of the interesting methods of death on offer today? We have lots."
The Wildmen just stood nonplussed as they tried to work out just what was going on, they had expected screaming, fighting and dying. Not a Sales Pitch.
One of the more intelliegent and higher ranking however decided that he was indded interested in dealing death and called the charge.
Den's blade cleaved a wide arc in the air before him, unseaming two adversaries as it went. Yet still more came. Many inventive methods of death were being discovered but out gallent heroes were tiring rapidly, having had little rest since their quest began, and they were slowly being forced back towards the edge of the plateu where they would be easy prey for a bowman below...
LadyYavanna
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2005 06:45
Arrows began whizzing through the air. Celeburion could be seen closing his eyes for a second then realized that the arrows were not aimed at him, but at the Wild Men. Anorion and Gailiel had returned, but with Aireleniel in their midst. Den and the others were glad to see their friends and slowly the number of Wildmen dwindled until all had fallen. Aireleniel immediately saw the worried looks on the faces of Celeburion, Den, and Elwyn. All were eager for an explanation.

"Very well seeing as you can wait no longer I shall be brief in the telling of my tale. After I was taken away to the home of the eagles, I realized that there was no safer place in Middle Earth then in the tops of the mountains. I couldn't leave you to fight my war on your own. My war? I had never really thought of it that way. Well anyway, the child was placed safely in the eagles' care and I was flown back here. As I was soaring over the land I saw you and the group of Wildmen approaching you. I also saw Anorion and Gailiel leaving the group. The eagle decided to land in a clearing right in front of Anorion's and Gailiel's path. They told the Eagle the message that you had sent them to deliver and we headed back here in the nick of time I see. But now I think our small battle here might have aroused the ears of our foes. We might be safer in the trees."

"No" Gailiel protested."Perhaps not. They probably have archers in many trees to shoot any who approach their camp.

"You can see many things from atop an eagle. There are only seven archers and they are located only on the trees which encircle their camp. Those trees make the ring around their haven, but outside that circle there are no others."
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2005 06:02
Celebûrion had just gotten out his blades when the onstorm of battle began. He blocked blades skillfuly as the wild men attacked but while Den and Elwyn reduced the numbers of the foes rapidly his blade did not pierce even one body.
In the course oif the battle the three of them had to retread ever further towards the edge of the plateau, and Celebûrion knew that he would have to overcome his hesitance if they wanted to survive. He was just about to deal a fatal blow when the first arrows flew. He closed his eyes for a split second, and when he opened them again he saw Aireleniel and the others return. The battle was soon ended and Celebûrion was trying to concentrate on the present as Aireleniel explained what had happened. But his thoughts drifted away again and again.
He had nearly killed. Again.
ElwynSilverleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2005 04:35
Elwyn looked to Den and the others, as the remainder of the wildmen fled. The archers that hid in the trees had been killed off quickly, and the others had been no match for the small companys skill in battle. Celeburion looked a bit peeked, nearly swaying, eyes closing and opening up suddenly.

"How do you fair?" Elwyn asked, looking at him with concern.
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2005 09:01
Den let Elwyn tend to Celeburion who seemed to be having a funny five minutes and turned to Aireleniel.
"I think we'd be safer with your feathered friends and Faeril." He gently took one of her hands in his, "Faeril is of my country and I wish to see him safely home. There are others who worry for your safety and his. You do not have to fight this war alone."
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2005 12:23
As Elwyn turned to Celebûrion, he was thankful for the arm she offered to steady him. He looked up into her eyes and said: "I do not want to kill. I nearly did, but I do not know what this would do to me. I'm afraight what I might turn into, once this old deamon is released." He breathed deeply to steady himself, and then with an ironic smile added: "I just don't know what good I'm supposed to be for you." Shrugging his shoulders he placed his blades back in his pack.
As Den was right the group soon set off to rejoin the Eagles, this time with Aireleniel in the lead. Celebûrion fell back a little to walk in the rear, dreading what he was sure he had to face next: riding an Eagle.
ElwynSilverleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2005 03:37
Elwyn grinned, a crooked slightly charming grin..."well friend, I suppose I can kill for the both of us." She winked and steadied him until he was comfortable standing on his own. They journeyed back to where Gwaihir and the other eagles had landed, Elwyn walking along noticed Celebûrion slowly falling to the back of the line. She stopped, waiting till he caught up with her.
She began to walk along beside him...tossing him a glance she spoke, "you do not fear riding on the eagles do you??"
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2005 08:33
Den grinned slightly as he heard the conversation going on behind him. He had a mortal dread of heights as well, even climbing cliffs, as Rangers were sometimes called upon to do, often had him shaking with terror. However, he had learned to supress this fear, even if he did often need to hit something at the end of a climb.
Riding Eagle back was something he was not relishing the idea of either.
"Tell you what Celeburion." He shot back over his shoulder, "I'll ride with you and we can soil our underwear together." His grin showed that no offense was meant, he was truly trying to make a man of what he now felt was his command feel comfortable with what they were about to do.
LadyYavanna
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2005 03:53
(OOC: Well our characters are moving away from the Wild Men, so I am going to move the danger from Gondor a little closer. There won't be direct fighting, but I'm going to make somethings happen. For those of you who do not remember, Helchon is Faeril's cousin, he wants to kill him too.)

"I think we'd be safer with your feathered friends and Faeril." He gently took one of her hands in his, "Faeril is of my country and I wish to see him safely home. There are others who worry for your safety and his. You do not have to fight this war alone."

"I thank you for your kind words, Lord Denethor. I will never forget what you have all done to help Faeril return to safety."

As they walked toward the clearing where the Eagles were waiting, Den said a very humorous comment and Aireleniel couldn't help but laugh.

In Gondor the enemy began to move. Helchon was growing inpatient. The child had not appeared to spoil his plans. The old man was his only remaining obstacle.

"Any news from the wild savages?" Helchon asked coldly from one of his bodyguards.

"None my lord. The child has been found, but he's still alive."

"Well let the Wild Men have their fun chasing after my dear cousin Arod and his family. I must secure my future here. Halbarad must die. He is the only one stopping me from claiming the title as head of his house. Once that brat is out of my way, I shall rule over this family and its riches." The doors of Helchon's chamber opened and in entered a cloaked figure and handed him a small phial. Helchon threw a small coin purse on the floor. The stranger greedily picked it up and left.

"Here in this phial lies your end, Halbarad."

Aireleniel had fallen behind and joined Den, Celeburion, and Elwyn in their mirth. Gailiel had waled in front of the group when suddenly she felt a sharp pain in her chest. She stopped and clutched at her heart.

"Gailiel are you alright?"

"I do not know Aireleniel. I have never felt anything like this before. Something is wrong. Evil is at work in Gondor. We must hurry. Perhaps the Eagles can take us straight to Minas Tirith."

"I doubt it. They rarely take anyone past the River Anduin. How far are we from Gondor?"
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2005 12:47
"you do not fear riding on the eagles do you??" Elwyn asked Celebûrion after she had joined hin in the rear of the line. Feeling a bit foolish he was just wanting to respond as Den threw in another comment. For a moment Celebûrion was not sure if he should feel offended. This was certainly not a comment he had expected from the ranger. Seeing Den grin broadly over his shoulder however, Celebûrion could not help but burst out laughing, which was soon joined in by others of the company.
Suddenly Gailiel garasped her chest. She had been walking further in front. With a few swift movements he stood beside her, to steady her as he listened to the short exchange. Pulling out some Athelas he let her take a wiff of it's scent. It was surely not much but enough to hearten her resolve once more.
"It will take us two weeks at least if we were to walk the whole way. But maybe the Eagles could carry us to the area south of the dead marshes. From there it would only take us a few more days to reach Minas Tirith, even if we continue on foot." After that Celebûrion fell silent, as they had reachrd the meeting place with the Eagles. One of then sat there looking at them, his sharp beak turned towards them.
ElwynSilverleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2005 05:00
Elwyn stepped forward, toward the eagles. She was smiling and apparently had no fear of them. She approached the greatest of them and softly let her hand caress its massive head. It cocked its head from the left to the right, looking at the company yet it remained silent. Elwyn turned, "this is Gwaihir, Lord of eagles.." she noticed the look on some of the others faces and grinned, "do not fear them."

She looked to Den and to Celeburion, then to Gailiel.."is there something you wish to ask of them??"

The eagles stood, facing the company in stillness...Gwaihir being the most attentive, waited for someone to speak.
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2005 08:11
Denother forced his quaking knees to obey him, hoped fervently that his fear did not show past a paler face than usual and knelt before Gwaihir, his fist held over his chest.
"I do not wish to impose Lord Gwaihir yet my friends and I have need of your help. I ask that you carry us and the child Faeril to or near to The Dead Marshes. We need to gain Minas Tirith with all available speed." He left his head bowed but smiled slightly, proud that he had kept the quake out of his voice.
ElwynSilverleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2005 02:14
Gwaihir looked at Den, inquisitively then let out a shrill cry outstretching his wings wide. "Thats a yes.." Elwyn said smiling at Den.."you can get up now..." she laughed and looked to the others, eyes full of an odd happiness. She climbed onto Gwaihir's broad back, and looked as the other eagles slowly lowered their heads in an attempt to make boarding them easier. "There's enough room for another with me..." Elwyn said, as she stroked Lord of the Eagles soft plumage.
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2005 04:54
Celebûrion had watched Den approach with growing respect, knowing that he would have a hard time exposing his bare naeck to any animal with such an enormous beak.
Swallowing hard he managed to set one foot before the other with surprising ease. When he had reached Gwaihir he bowed his head slightly. Not as low as Den had done, but it was not bad for a start. Then he followed Elwyn's offer and climbed with her help onto the great Eagle's back. The feathers were softer then Celebûrion had imagined, but it still took him a while to get adjusted to the feeling of the animal beneath him. All too soon the rest of the group had mounted as well and the Eagles made to start off into the air.
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2005 08:55
Den gripped hard with his knees just infront of his massive mount's wing joints and, when the group began to pound their way into the air, he fought back the unplesant sensation that his stomach had been left on the ground. Burying his face in the soft plumage of the Eagle's neck he found himself as content as he could ever be this height, to stay where he was and feel the wind ruffle his hair.
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2005 01:12
It was a long flight, during which Celebûrion found no rest. With the time his fear grew less, but he did not dare closing his eyes. So he kept staring at Elwys back and her hair that fluttered in the wind. It was a way of traveling that made Celebûrion feel as if he was plucked out of time. He was not sure to tell how many hours or days had passed when the Eagles finally started their slow spiralling down. When finally they reached the ground Celebûrion was first to climb off hie Eagle. He felt very week in the knees and for a moment the ground seemed to spin before he could get adjusted to having solid earth beneath his feet once more. With a relieved sigh Celebûrion turned to watch the others dismount.
LadyYavanna
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2005 04:01
( I'm assuming that we are at the Eagles' nest is the top most part of the mountains. That is where Aireleniel left Faeril.)

As the riders dismounted, an eagle approached from one of the nests and spoke to Gwaihir. Gwaihir, being learned in the tongues of men, spoke to the travelers.

" The child has fallen ill." A small thud was heard as Aireleniel's knees gave way and she fell. "The cold heights appeared to have been to much for the young one and he now has a very high fever. We are not as skilled as the Elves in healing, so we offer you two options. We can carry you back to Rivendell or to Lothlorien, unless there is some healer present now for the child may not live through such a long journey to either of the Elven realms. Lothlorien is closer, but it is up to you now. Take council among yourselves. We await your decision."

Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2005 12:15
Celebûrion listened to Gwaihir with concern. Silently he moved over to Aireleniel and softly placed a hand upon her shoulder.
"I could try to help Faeril, though my healing powers are not comparable to those of Lord Elrond or the Lady of the Golden Wood." Celebûrion tried to hide his fear of taking on so much of the responsibility. Trying to let his voice sound as calm as he could he added: "Let me look at him, and see what I can do."
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2005 09:21
The slight green tinge left from his flight into the mountains disappeared in a second as Den heard the words 'Child' and 'Ill' in the same sentence.
As Celeburion offered his services to help Faeril the young Ranger came up behind him and tapped him on the shoulder.
"Please, let me aid you. I know something of the healing arts."
At a short nod from Celeburion they were led to where Faeril had been left. Den gasped when he saw the child for, wrapped though he was in swaddling clothes, his face was a deathly white, he moved fitfully and whimpered as he lay in a fevered sleep. Leaning over to touch his foreheade Den almost yelped in surprise, he was burning!
"I,m sure you can do more for him than I." Den stepped back to let Celeburion through and gently encircled Aireleniel's waist,trying to give what comfort he could.
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2005 02:51
Celebûrion examined the babe with a stony expression. His condition was far from well, indeed. Opening his bag he got out his medical supplies. Turning to no one specifically he said: "I need water heated. Then put in a good hand full of this." Without turning he held a small pouch of herbs out until it was taken from him. Taking off his travelling cloak he carefully as not to wake the child, slid it underneath the boy's head and back. When the water was brought to him he took a clean cloth from his supplies to soak it in the bowl. The water had turned a greenish color and heavy grassy scent rose from it. Softly he touched the wet cloth to the child's forehead, the writs, calfs, hollows of the the knees and his neck. Then he fell silent and placed his hand firmly but without much pressure on the babe's forehead. Thus he stayed for a moment trying to feel for the cause of the child's illness. Closing his eyes he fell into a slow, deep voiced chant that hardly resembled his own voice. He stayed like this for close to two hours, and then exhaustedly returned to the present as out of deep trance. Walking over to where Aireleniel and Den were now sitting he tried to calm their worries. "I did what I could. The fever sunk and I think I could reach the core of the illness. In my opinion it would be best and safe enough to fly to Lothlorien now and seek the help of the Lady."
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2005 07:18
((Ehh...long time no see. We'll just pretend I was er..tagging along the whole and you just didn't notice me. Yeah..or something like that. But I'll just post real quick to add myself back in.))

Lethran decided to place his own opinion in at that moment. He jumped gladly at the chance to revisit the land which he had called home hundreds of years ago. " I agree with Celeburion. We should head to Lothlorien. No doubt rest can be found there, and counsel from Lady Galadriel would be a most needed asset right about now. But I'm a minor force in this company, so I'll just leave it at that. I'll suppose I'll follow to whatever.." he paused for a moment, thinking up a word that could hopefully persuade them into thinking of his loyalty. "End." He said the word with an almost absolute certainty. Although his inner self strongly dissaproved with such a vow, he figured it best to at least make such an impression. A moment of silence proceded Lethran's input, which drove him to sitting down on a patch of half-dead grass, closing his eyes and trying to imagine himself off somewhere else, out of harm's way and doing things of his own liking. Easier said than done.
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2005 09:23
Den breathed a sigh of relief as Celeburion sat beack and reported that Faeril was better than he had started out. At the suggestion that the group should go to Lothlorien he slowly looked at Aireleniel, then at Faeril, then at the rest of the group, paticularly Galiel. (SP?)
"Very well. We go to Lothlorien, if the Eagles will take us that is. The Wildmen will be far behind us whatever happens and I think that court intrigue in Gondor can be left to it's own devices while the key to it all recuperates."
Not relishing the idea of another Eagle-back flight he stood and looked to Elwyn, "Well? You're the one who knows what goes on in those feathered heads of theirs."
ElwynSilverleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2005 12:35
Elwyn grinned, "the eagles will take us to the border of the golden wood." She looked back to Gwaihir and he agreed, softly nodding his head.
"Come then, we need not waste any more time..."
She seated herself once more on Gwaihir's back and waited for the others...
"He will be fine, Galadriel will see to it..."
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2005 01:20
Celebûrion was still greatly exhausted when the decision to follow his suggestion was reached. His stomach seemed to fall a few inches as he realised that this would mean another ride on an eagle's back. With a tired sigh he grasped his pack and stood up. He looked around at the other's who got up as well and made ready for another part of their journey.
Lowering his eyes he made his way over to one of the eagles, and with Elwyn's help climbed up onto it's back. Staring at the maiden's back once more he thought: "Well, this is as ready as I'm going to get." And as soon as this thought had passed they were lifted up into the air.
ElwynSilverleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2005 05:27
Elwyn turned, looking over her shoulder and smiling momentarily at Celebûrion. Thats when she happened to notice that he was quite peeked.
She looked down seeing that his grip was so tight on the eagles plummage that his knuckles were turning white.
"Are you alright?" she asked, carefully turning herself as much as she could on Gwaihir's back placing a hand ontop of his clenched fists.
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2005 10:30
The eagles picked the company up one by one. Luckily, Lethran was on an Eagle of his own. As they lifted into the air, he felt the wind beating against his face. It was extremely refreshing, just like the last time he was on the back of one of the Great Eagles. As he lowed his head down to avoid the air current, the Eagle twisted it's head slightly, as if to get a good look at him. Lethran quickly pictured the darkened lands of Angmar, and a quick scene of battle before Eagles swooped down to even the odds. He quickly regained himself with the help of the chill wind. Tilting his head to the side, he looked down, lands passing swiftly beneath them.
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2005 05:41
Celebûrion managed a thin smile in response to Elwyn's question. "I'm well enough." he said. "Just scared of hights. And a little exhausted." He sighed and continued concentrating on not looking down and thus stared into Elwyn's eyes. Beautiful eyes, he thought.
ElwynSilverleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2005 06:01
Elwyn grinned as their eyes met, "if it will ease your journey you may move closer..." she patted the empty spot between her and Celebûrion, winking playfully. "No offense to be taken if you chose to move.." she said looking out over the lands.
LadyYavanna
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2005 02:57
Walking over to where Aireleniel and Den were now sitting he tried to calm their worries. "I did what I could. The fever sunk and I think I could reach the core of the illness. In my opinion it would be best and safe enough to fly to Lothlorien now and seek the help of the Lady."

Aireleniel rose slowly and shakily. The news of the child's illness had weakened her and she had decided to stay out of Celeburion's way.

"I shall be eternally grateful for what you have dine here today. May you days be forever blessed." She bowed low to the Healer's surprise.
She went over to Faeril. He was still quite warm, but not as hot as before. "Do not worry little one. Soon you will be well." She turned to the company. "We must leave now. Faeril had recovered much of his strength, but the trip may prove to be too much if we linger in the mountains any longer."

Aireleniel carefully mounted an eagle with the baby in her hands. "Lead the way Elwyn, and may the Valar give us great speed"
Alsin_of_the_Forest
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2005 08:40
Ooc - I'm Back!!! Wow, that was the best school show i've ever been in. Strange, but so much fun!!
LadyYavanna, I hope you don't mind me doing this.

Ic - As it was Den and Aireleniel ended up on the same Eagle, Faeril snuggled deep in her arms and her in Den's strong embrace as he gripped the feathers of their mount.
In an attempt to avoid the horribly solid looking ground beneath them Den buried his head in Aireleniel's fragrent hair and took deep breaths to calm himself. In that secure position he was surprised to find himself actually enjoying the sensation of the wind ruffling his hair and whipping past his ears.
"Now that's new." He muttered.
Soon, to anyone who was looking, the broad swath of the Golden Wood, cut through with the shining ribbons of many rivers and streams, appeared as a patch on the glittering quilt below them and Den groaned as the Eagles began to dive...
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2005 05:38
Celebûrion had hesitated to follow Elwyn's invitation for a moment, but after his eyes had left her's for a while and he had glimpsed the ground- the far away ground- he slid closer to the maiden, not without some redness rising to his cheeks. Only when the Eagles had landed securely did Celebûrion loosen his grip on her and- still slightly red slid off their feathered helper.
They had landed on a small grassy plain right before the forrest. A very beautiful forrest. It was old but did not seem dark and menacing but peaceful. This was indeed a place one should have seen at least once in life, Celebûrion thought and felt for the first time something like happiness to be on this quest.
LadyYavanna
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2005 03:07
She mounted the Eagle slowly so as not to disturb Faeril's condition any further. Denethor seated himself behind Aireleniel and as he gripped the feathers of the Eagle his arms came around her as a shield against harm. Aireleniel felt safe for the first time in a long time.

The Great Eagle began to flab its great wings and slowly the left the great heights of the nests and flew high into the sky. They rode along at a steady pace, but Aireleniel took no notice. Den had his head in her hair. The smell of her hair obviously relaxed him. Aireleniel usually noted that Den was always uncomfortable around the Eagles, but this time it was different.

The Golden Wood came into view below and the Eagles began their descent. Den tensed once more as he gripped the Eagle's feathers tightly. With one hand Aireleniel carried the child snugly and with the other she touched Den's hand softly. He gripped it tightly.

"You should not grip the Eagles too tightly. They seldom carry anyone, you wouldn't want to upset them especially at this height. You should enjoy this moment whilst you still can. I doubt you shall ever see Middle-Earth from so high up." She turned her head slightly to face him and saw that his eyes were closed. She couldn't help, but smile.

"Open your eyes Denethor of Gondor."
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email