Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
Post Time Warp in Wales-moderately scripted (KEEP)
on: January 26, 2005 07:39
This is a moderately scripted thread that requires you PM me if you are interested in joining. See the final paragraph of this OOC to find out if you are interested and can meet the needs of the story. This thread will appear in TR but only due to its non-Tolkien side story. However, the Tolkien material will be strictly TT in its content.

This is a story about a young graduate student from Oxford, who has been hiking through Wales on his holidays. He finds himself warped into a strange "dream" that quickly becomes his reality. At some point, he will find himself suddenly back in the world of today, only to find himself anxious to return to the "other" world, knowing how important his life there has become to the people of that world. This plotline will include not only his Tolkien world experiences but also his real world ones as well. He will involve a real world friend with him along the way. I will certainly play the main character....Ian Michaels/Ciryacáno....and quite possibly his real world friend as well, unless I can persuade Jaid_Skywalker to join in, as I totally trust her ability to play the friend. (Are you listening, Jaid...remember Ms. Penny?)

Ian is a student at Oxford/ Magdalen College where he is almost finished with his MPhil in Economics. His best friend, Andrew Fleming is studying at Christ Church College for his MPhil in Medieval Languages and Literature (which I'm sure is going to be a help for Ian somewhere along the way, right? )

The "dream" world will take place just before the War of the Ring in the Third Age. Ciryacáno, a Telerin elf from Grey Havens, has been asked by his father to attend a council at Rivendell/Imladris. Lord Elrond has called for representatives of the various races of Middle Earth to discuss the finding of the One Ring and the growing shadow in the East. Hmmm, it might have been possible for Ciryacáno to have been one of the original Fellowship if....but I get ahead of myself.

This thread will need people from Middle Earth (elves, men, dwarves...even an orc or two ) and some folks from today's world (Ian's mother, his tutor at college perhaps, random people he might run into). I wouldn't even mind a girl friend in the real world who could also be an elf maiden that he's attracted to in his "dream" world. :heart: That might be sort of fun too.

I will need some inventive, imaginative, creative thinking writers...with the emphasis being on WRITERS, meaning those that can spell and understand good grammar and punctuation. I am serious (a curse word to some of our more wild players, I know but...) about creating a fascinating story so please.....no cloaked, mysterious rangers/elves popping out of the bushes and hanging from tree branches and/or having hawks or wolves as pets or abilities that Tolkien never imagined in his wildest dreams. What I want are writers who can also read and react to what they've read, not writers with agendas of their own. Oh, one last thought. If at all possible, please use a character that is not also in 25 other threads. If you have one like that, than try and develop a new one for here. I get confused when I see a character in 25 places at the same time. Reminds me Sybil with her multiple personalities...all named Sybil. If any of this sounds interesting to anyone, let me know....I have my first post ready to go.

[Edited on 2/10/2010 by BerethEdhellen]
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Etaina
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Time Warp in Wales-moderately scripted (KEEP)
on: January 27, 2005 07:24
Wow, this sounds like a very good Rp to be involved with - the character I'd use is called Ceinwyn and she's in the database - quite a unique elf for her sheer boldness! If this isn't the type of character your looking for Ian to clash with in Rivendell that's fine, but I just thought I'd offer my services

[Edited on 27/1/2005 by Etaina]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: January 27, 2005 05:16
If at all possible, please use a character that is not also in 25 other threads. If you have one like that, than try and develop a new one for here. I get confused when I see a character in 25 places at the same time. Reminds me Sybil with her multiple personalities...all named Sybil.

I'm delighted that you're interested but have I not seen Ceinwyn Emrys in other threads? I'll grant she sounds interesting but I am hoping for some new characters. Given that, I would be happy to have you join. We will definitely need many characters from both worlds to make this work. I'm hoping I can develop more interest in this as I think it has the potential to be a lot of fun.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2005 12:45
I'd like to join! The bit that really caught my intrest was the wales bit, im from swansea valley! id lk to play an elf called Ceindra. shes only been int two threads before, and both didn't go very far, so i havent used her nearly at all. Is you think shes a little to different for your thread, i can always change her to fit in, but shes the one i would like to use. and exactly how much of it is going to be in wales.

[Edited on 28/1/2005 by Aneras]
Etaina
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2005 02:40
she's in two at the moment; is that too much? If so then I'll sculpt another character
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: January 28, 2005 03:19
I'm sorry buy I cannot answer your questions right now...I must leave shortly to go to my mother's funeral. She passed away this past week. I will be back online Monday so if you don't mind waiting, we'll pick it up then. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2005 08:09
Hey, Bereth, I finally made it. My computer crashed last night andI've been trying to get everything back together. Unfortunately, I lost six months worht of work on several novels, short stories, songs and scripts I'd been working on. :killcomp:

I'd love to play Ian's friend! Any ideas for him/her? I really don't mind playing a guy, lol. Actually, I usually do. *ahem* So, let me know if there's anything in particular you want.

Sorry about your mum. That must be so hard. *Hugs*
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: January 31, 2005 08:03
I am back home now and will pick this up this evening. Thank you so much, all of you, for your interest.

Aneras...much will probably be back and forth in parts of Wales, I'll be more specific tonight.

Jaid...I'm sure you must be devastated about the crash...to lose soooo much is a royal pain in the arse. But I'm delighted you're considering taking on Andrew. He can be an American transfer student if you like and if it would make it easier to play him. I'll talk more about him tonight.

I'll try and flesh out what I'm looking for in the way of chars at that time for any others who are interested as well.

Thanks for waiting for me to get back online. It's been a rather sad and chaotic week for me but I'm okay...and can use a bit of fantasy to keep me grounded. Until tonight then....
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2005 07:18
It was nice to chat with you Bereth! ^__^

Having Andy be an American exchange student is a great idea; very helpful since my knowledge of Wales isn't as good as it could be.

Okay, well, I'll flesh him out and e-mail you his profile(s).
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: January 31, 2005 08:33
Same here, Jaid. I'm really looking forward to Andrew's intro. Make him anything you feel comfortable with.

To everyone else: Imagine, if you will, a straightlaced, conservative, serious, studious young person, who suddenly finds himself in a world he doesn't understand. It's a world where he is someone who is a totally different entity from himself, among races of people who are nothing but myths and legends to him (including himself as he appears in this strange world). He passes back and forth between his known world and this strange, yet fascinating place. People he meets in what he calls the "dream world" might actually appear in his real world...and vice versa. What this means is that if you decide on a char to play, it should probably be someone entirely new, someone who you can then have play in both worlds. Think "split personalities". *smile*

I've said before, I'd rather not have chars who have weird "familiars" (odd pets like snakes, hawks, wolves, leopards, cats, etc.). I'd like people who can develop chars who have some reality to their personality...in both worlds. I don't want loners who live and wander around in the wilderness. Most elves, dwarves and men in Tolkien's world lived and worked together. Even Legolas lived with his father and his fellow elves in Mirkwood Forest before he arrived at Rivendell. I want these characters to live and breathe in this story...in both worlds.

I realize that this requires a great deal of imagination, the ability to dream BIG...and out of the box. Apart from the usual residents of Middle Earth, we will need their match in the Real World. They will have the same basic personality in both worlds. Hopefully, their personalities will grow with their experience. Here's some examples of the type of characters I'd like to see.

Andrew, Ian's friend .... This character is in the trustworthy hands of Jaid. We've IM'd and agreed, generally, what he will be like.

Ian's girlfriend, who will also be an Elven maiden who Ian is courting (though the term "girl friend" would not be used, obviously)

Andrew's tutor, who will help Ian figure out where he has been in his "dream world", could be perhaps a lore master elf in Middle Earth.

Ian's mother, who could reside in Swansea area (if Aneras wants to take on that role along with any others). She could be a Sindarin elf married to a Telerin (Ciryacáno's character and his father are Telerin) if whoever introduces her doesn't want to attempt the Telerin background.

A medical doctor, who could be a healer in Middle Earth.

A special ops police investigator, who could be a Ranger in Middle Earth.

(Don't worry, I'll figure out how to introduce and incorporate these characters through Ian).

Are you getting the idea?

Now, let's see how many talented writers we have. Who wants to dive into this? I'm ready to post an introductory post if we have enough people to get started. By the way, I would not worry about having your characters placed in the Data Base as both (split?) personalities. If you like the Middle Earth half of your character once you've developed it, by all means, do so if you wish to use it again. But for this thread, it would be best if you IM'd or PM'd or described it here in OOC. PM me for my IM addresses if you want to use that route to contact me. Let's get going on this....it's going to be fun.....trust me!
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2005 08:00
Sure, I'd love to take on the mother's role, but I don't live in the actual city of Swansea, but in the valleys, so i was wondering of they would be living in the city or in the valleys. I could play either, I've seen enough of both, but I was just thinking in case I got it wrong. And Ceindra what part could Ceindra play in the " real world"?
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 01, 2005 08:17
Aneras...Swansea. Swansea valleys. It matters not. Wherever you wish. Could you play Ian's mother in both worlds? Could she be a kind, loving mother who cares for her son (possibly her only son)? That's the question. And Ceindra sounds perfect for Ian's lady love. As a Telerin, his ME life is old...from the 1st age. She sounds like a perfect match for his g/f. Could she be someone who cares for animals in the modern world as well...like a volunteer at the ASPCA and a student going for her veteranarin's degree? Sounds like a possibility to me.

Most importantly, you're getting the idea. That's great. I'm really looking forward to beginning this.
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: February 01, 2005 11:31
Hiya Bereth! Would you be interested in having me join your thread? I would love to play the part of the 'girl friend' in the Real World and the Fiesty Elf Maiden in his 'Dream World'. hm, let me know of any particulars I should know?
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 01, 2005 08:12
Maeghin! How are you? How is little person coming along? Almost here now? I'd love to have you join in but I'm sort of taken with Aneras' character Ceindra as Ian's female interest, if Aneras is still willing to use her. Wouldn't mind having any other char you'd like to play, though. I know whatever or whoever you create will be great.

Aneras...are you still interested? I like Ceindra and believe she is usable in both worlds, perhaps in the way I suggested in my previous post here. She seems the type that Ian would be interested in.

I'm going to post the beginning of this tale in TR now. I think that may get things going. Wish us all luck. If all goes well, I think this could go on for quite a while, unlike some that seem to come to dead ends. I'd really hate that to happen. Anyway, here goes nothing nowhere.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 02, 2005 05:04
We have warped into action. The game is on.
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2005 04:35
Hi!
I'd really like to join in. I have a character in the DB that I had actually nearly forgotten again (I created him for a RP that died after about 5 posts). I edited him a bit and think he would fit in nicely. His name is Gelmir. He actually appears in the Sil. I took what was there and fleshed it out (I'm sure Tolkien would hate it though I did my best ). In the names index of the Sil it would be the second entry for that name (just in case anybody is interested).
In real life Gelmir could be an Oxford professor, maybe one of Andy's teachers. Let me know what you think...
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 03, 2005 06:53
Whoopee, len! I do like your Gelmir. He would be perfect for the professor/elven loremaster. And since Ian is now back in today's world and hopefully going to ask Andy for help in understanding what happened to him and where he's been, I know Andy's first thought will be to ask his mentor at Oxford. Then, when they return to ME status, Gelmir will be there as well...and someone who has had relations with the Telerin at that. Too cool.

Maeghin, Reisil and Aneras are all standing by waiting, I suspect, to see how and where they can jump in.

And Jaid, who is taking a math test at the moment, if my clock does not deceive me, will be back to respond to poor Ian, who has been bopped in the head and is recovering in RW time, probably at a hospital in Caernarfon, which is the closest city to the Anglesey peninsula.

I've thought that this would be harder to get moving than it is...it was soooooo clear in my mind but the concept is much more difficult to write out in this mode. Still, I'm pleased so far with what has already been posted and the additional interest that will produce a continuum. Nice going, RP writers. I knew we had some inventive ones out there.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 03, 2005 10:21
To Aneras:

Ouch! When I didn't hear from you, I accepted an offer from maeghin to play Ian's g/f. Too bad, really, as I liked Ceindra's personality and thought the two would be a good match. Perhaps you could still play her as Andy's g/f, though she's somewhat serious and he's a bit of a goof. LOL But they do say opposites attract, right? I'd still like you to join, however, with any char you'd like. There's plenty of possibilities available as we will leaving the Grey Havens and heading along the East/West Rd. through the Shire and Bree to Imladris. There is a plethora of elves, humans, hobbits, dwarves in ME.

To everyone:

We now have the following chars...
Ian/Ciryacáno ................ berethedhellen
Andy/Valandil (Ian's friend in both worlds).....jaid skywalker
Elizabeth (Liz)/ ?? (Ian's g/f) .............maeghin
?? / Gelmir (Oxford don/Elvish loremaster......~a_lasgalen~
?? / ?? (musician/ bard ................ reisil

I'm really beginning to enjoy this. I'm still confused as I'm sure all of you are as well but .... Thanks to all of you for being brave enough to jump into this quagmire.

[Edited on 3/2/2005 by berethedhellen]
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: February 03, 2005 10:27
Okay, intro posted. Hopefully I didn't mess anything up yet

~A_Lasgalen~ I took the liberty of having Liz be in your class. I didn't know what the professor's name would be, so I just put your name in, I will edit it later. Oh and Liz is a good student, always has her homeowrk on time, never misses class....

Jaid, I'm assuming that Liz and Andy are friends since Andy and Ian and friends and Liz and Andy are dating. Also, I left the phone call up in the air, it can be Andy if you want, and Liz can give him a ride to the hospital if he needs it, completely up to you.

Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2005 12:13
That's ok, I think that Ian was too serious for her anyway, Ceindra's more of a fun-loving kind of girl, her world doesn't really revolve around books. Lol. anyway, i dont mind who she is, as long as i still get to be in it. and in the " real world" I'll call her...Madlen ( that's my name) she could be Ian's childhood friend, seeing as they come from the same place. and I'm fine with her being Andy's g/f if you want.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2005 06:35
Yes! Andy would like a girlfriend! lol. Well, maybe they don't have to be g/f b/f yet; it's such fun to let romances develope, dontcha think? ^__^
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 03, 2005 08:20
Okay, readers/writers...

We need a doctor now in RW who will become an Elvish healer in the ME part of the script.

Aneras & maeghin....you are needed at the hospital. Ian's getting a little odd and Andy needs help and advice. *snicker* Oh, yes, and Aneras, give Madlen an elvish name...esp. if she's going to be Andy/Val's lady friend.

len....get ready. As soon as Ian is walkable again, he's going to get some advice from Andy, Liz and Madlen to go to Oxford and talk to the Don in charge of Classical Literature.

Reisil...stand by but get your Musician (RW)/ Bard (ME) ready to go.

I'm loving this, guys. It's actually beginning to work. Yippee!
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2005 07:34
Ok, Im trying to think of a name for her. I love this one character I've got, who I've also based on myself, but I've used her quite a few times. Her name's Narya, but if you want me to make up a new one, I guess that's okay.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 04, 2005 09:09
Aneras,,
Go with Ceindra. I like her and so does Andy. *smile*
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: February 04, 2005 10:27
Post number two up. I wasn't sure where we are going from here, so I didn't advance the story much. Also, I hope you guys don't mind, but Liz likes to give hugs, yeah she is really kind and affectionate... Oh and her Elvish name will be Celuien (maiden of the Spring) if you need her Elvish any time soon .

Anyhow, this is going nicely :love:
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 04, 2005 10:55
Got it, maeghin. And it's just as well we don't move tooooo quickly til everyone is onboard. Ian, Andy, Madlin (friend to all of you and possibly Andy's soon to be love life) and you are all there at the hospital. I'm still waiting for a doctor to cure my poor head. *chuckle* Perhaps Í'll slip back into ME while I'm unconscious for a brief time. But as soon as I am able to get up and move it's off to Oxford and the Don. Andy is already getting a "where have I heard that name before?" feeling.

Surprisingly enough, I do believe it may work. Seems to be running well right now. I'm pleased.
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2005 11:07
Alright, but Maeghin, watch out. Madlen's not a very huggy person. Don't be too affectionate or she'll get annoyed. So when are we going back to the dream world then?
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 04, 2005 12:07
Okay, guys, I'm thinking of slipping back into ME while Ian is unconscious. That would make Ceindra, Celuien, Val part of his world there, at least temporarily. I'll have to speak for Silendiel as we have no one signed in as the doctor/healer yet.

So be prepared for the jump.

And I hope ~a_lasgalen~ and reisil are getting their chars ready to go.
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2005 07:28
Ok, I haven't been online a few days and I'm just catching up. My char'S name in the RW will be Thomas O'Connor. I'll go check the actual RP thread and see how things go, though it sounds as if we make good progress here...
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 06, 2005 06:22
maeghin .. did you have the little one early or something? You are MIA..hope you're doing okay?

Just keeping organized:
Ian/Ciryacáno....berethedhellen
Andy/Valandil....jaid_skywalker
Elizabeth/Celuien....maeghin
Madlen/Ceindra....aneras
Thomas O'Connor, Oxford Don/Gelmir....~a_lasgalen~

Have I got everyone correctly listed? Only one missing is Reisil, who I have not heard from in some time. Otherwise, everyone is moving along nicely. I'd like to see a little more ME time by Celuien and Ceindra *hint hint nudge nudge* but otherwise it's doing alright, if a bit slowly. I'd like to get us out of the hospital and on our way to Oxford to consult with O'Connor, Andy's mentor/tutor. And, of course, back in ME.

Keep me posted if any of you are having any RL/RPG problems or questions. Cheerio!
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: February 07, 2005 04:14
Nope, no baby yet, just took the weekend to unwind . Though it should be soon, I should have enough time to warn you when the time does actually come though .
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 07, 2005 07:58
Ahh yes, maeghin, I can see the scenario now. You go into labor, call to hubby to get your overnight bag and start the car and then tell him, "Oh wait! I have to tell my buddies on CoE that I'm off to the hospital so they're not to wait for my next post but should carry on without me until I get back" .... and then in the middle of contractions, log on to CoE and send us this message. Yeah! Sure! *laughing hilariously* Anyway, it's good to know you're still hanging in there.

Now, some updates:
1. Reisil is ready to bounce in but we have to help her out. She is a musician in RW and a bard in ME. She is a friend to the merry foursome. Any suggestions as to how she can jump in? I had thought she might have been a musician at the Inn in Grey Havens and left with Val, thus being there when he found Ian. But that's a while back now (at least for posting purposes). Give her hand and share some ideas on how she could pop in now, okay?
2. Can we come to some agreement as to the order in which we post RW/ME entries. I sort of think that if Ian begins in ME and ends in RW, everyone else's posts should do the same. Am I wrong on this? I asked Jaid to reverse the order of her post by edit, which she nicely did, but now I'm wondering the same thing about Maeghin's. Hers is in reverse order, too. *scratches her head* What do you all think?

Otherwise, I'm content with the writing skills I'm seeing. It looks pretty good to me. How about you guys? Are you all happy or do you have any other suggestions. Personally, I'm looking forward to heading off to Oxford to talk to Thomas O'Connor, the Don. I'll just keep covering the healer aspect using Silendriel as we have no doctor/healer signed on. It works for me right now. Mostly, I want to get Ian out of bed....for those of you who know something about me, you know why I hate hospitals (just like Madlen). *smile*
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2005 08:05
Yeah, hospitals really give me the creeps. I'm not feeling particularly creative right now, so im not gonna post, but if you guys have any ideas of wat madlen or Ceindra can get up 2, then please, i'll welcome them!!
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 09, 2005 08:07
Hello ello ello lo lo lo oooooooooo! Where is everyone? Thanks, Aneras for keeping us at the top of the page but you and I cannot do it by ourselves. Where is everyone else?

Please guys, if you're no longer interested, let me know. I do so hate to drag threads along when no one cares.

And it started it off so well, too. *weeps*
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2005 08:36
yeah. im going away to rome tomorrow to see the wales v italy rugby game so i wont be back online until monday. I'll see you all then. Bye!! Go Wales!!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email