Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
Post RE: Time Warp in Wales-moderately scripted (KEEP)
on: May 17, 2005 07:20
Hi troops..
I walk, I talk, I live, I breathe. Have had some RW problems so have been tied up there....sorry I've been gone so long.

We have some problems here, too. ~len will probably not be back for a while (I too am hoping she is recovering well) and maeghin may never be back (a new house, a new baby, recovering from surgery all take their toll of free time ). So it's down to four; Aneras, Elebridith, Jaid and me. Sadly, Gelmir (~len's char) was central to the continued storyline so we have to decide how we are to continue.

1. We can waste as much time as possible rambling towards Imladris (an orc battle, broken leg of a horse, evading a Nazgul or two,etc.) to give ~len time to recover and get back to the thread. All of this means we have to work around Gelmir's char (perhaps doing the unforgivable and adding some short dialogue for him in order to keep him part of the thread). -or-
2. We can get to Imladris quickly where Jaid will pick up Aunt Penny's char as a loremaster of languages in Lord Elrond's library, where she can look up the info we will need to continue, sans Gelmir's char.

I'd prefer the former as I'd truly like to give ~len further time to rejoin us, but I'll leave it up to you, the remaining three, to decide by unanimous decision which route we take.

Let me know ASAP. I've missed all you guys, and would like to get this thread back on the first page again.

Bereth
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2005 05:45
anything is fine by me as long as we have quite a few posts. i dont like it when threads slow down. id prefer the first, but go with whatever the others choose. btw, wheres jaid? i havent seen her for ages!
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2005 01:27
Hi everybody!
I'm back already! Still recovering but feeling fine otherwise. I'm still a bit weak but that gives me more time to spend here (although I still need breaks for my concentration and to aviod those headaches)! So the plot won't have to be changed all that much...
I'm really glad to be back with all of you.

[Edited on 19/5/2005 by ~A_Lasgalen~]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: May 19, 2005 07:15
And we are ever so glad to have you back with us, happy all went well for you. Take your time and if all you feel up to posting is a one word sentence, we'll still be happy. *grins*

WELCOME HOME, SWEETIE.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2005 08:05
uh, i think ive missed out on something. what's happend to you ~len? lol
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2005 12:14
LASGALEN!!! Freu mich sehr, daß du wieder da bist und alles gut abgelaufen ist. Schon dich, aber ein bisschen hier zu schreiben is bestimmt auch eine gute Ablenkung. Schön das du wieder da bist.

Bereth', good to see your back, so ...of we go, eh?
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: May 19, 2005 04:28
Hey,,,no fair. I can only read every other word..my German is not good enough. *laughing out loud*
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2005 11:35
pardon me Bereth' , its nothing diffrent from what the others were saying, I sometimes fall into german when I know someone is german, or if I read a german word then carry on writing in an english board, I suddenly change to german...my brain switches over when it feels like it, not telling me
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2005 12:13
Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm glad to be back, too. And I'm slowly catching up with the threads and the posts and all. It's still exhausting but fun to do...
I've had to go to the hospital, Aneras. So I'm finally back home. It wasn't all that long, but to me it seemed like ages...
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: May 23, 2005 06:49
~len...take your time and do your reading in small doses. As I recall, it takes time for the brain to assimilate new information. Too much effort will just give you a headache. Post short posts for the time being, when you feel like it, just to keep the thread going and the chars together. Jaid is happy to create a counterpart for Aunt Penny....an ancient language loremistress, who will be in Elrond's library to assist Gelmir. I think if we can now just move on to Imladris and then turn you two loose in Elrond's library on the search for the missing Istar *scratches head* (we'll have to give him a name...does anyone have the names of the other two wizards that came with Gandalf, Saruman and Radagast? I don't remember if JRRT ever gave them names.)

Anyway, it is always good to see your name posting. I think about you daily and just know you're doing fine. Welcome back.
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 12:39
oh, we are hasten to Imladris? why the rush?

but I'll do of course.

I can't remember any other Istars but Saruman and Radagast, you might have to just make up a name for him. Unless you just want to use the wizard I made up, Gildin.. could be the same anyway, couldn't it?
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2005 03:34
Tolkien has actually mentioned the other wizzards only a few times. I found something about them on theonering.net and I'll quote it here:

"As to the Istari, only three seem to play any role in events related to The Lord of the Rings, Saruman the White, Gandalf the Grey, and Radagast the Brown. Saruman's outburst at Orthanc, when he spoke of ‘the rods of the Five Wizards,’ seems to have been letting out some private information. Nowhere in The Lord of the Rings do we learn anything more about the two other wizards, though Tolkien seems to have considered the question on a few occasions, and come up with a few different theories. Some of Tolkien’s notes on the Istari appear in Unfinished Tales (1980). In one of these passages, apparently written around 1954, Tolkien named the other two as Ithryn Luin, ‘the Blue Wizards,’ who passed into the East and never returned. Some other notes indicate that they were named Alatar and Pallando. To complicate matters, some more notes are published in The Peoples of Middle-earth (1996), in a small section "The Five Wizards" in the section titled "Last Writings." There Tolkien wrote:

"No names are recorded for the two wizards. They were never seen or known in the lands west of Mordor." In a still further note, Tolkien wrote: "The ‘other two’ came much earlier, at the same time probably as Glorfindel, when matters became very dangerous in the Second Age. Glorfindel was sent to aid Elrond and was (though not yet said) pre-eminent in the war in Eriador. But the other two Istari were sent for a different purpose. Morinehtar and Romestamo. Darkness-slayer and East-helper. Their task was to circumvent Sauron: to bring help to the few tribes of Men that had rebelled from Melkor-worship, to stir up rebellion…".... "

and on the same site I could find this:

"The only sure line of reference, which I’m sure you’ve seen, is found in Unfinished Tales. There is a little bit in Christopher Tolkien’s notes about each Maia spirit who was chosen and "associated" with one of the Valar, later to be sent as an Istar. In this case, Oromë sent Alatar and Pallando "though no hint is given of the reason for this relationship. It might be (though this is the merest guess) that Orome of the Valar had the greatest knowledge of the further parts of Middle-earth, and that the Blue Wizards were destined to journey in those regions and to remain there." So you see, even Christopher is left to speculate....."

But as we're playing Tolkien related we could change some of these (few) facts, if we need to.

BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: May 29, 2005 07:03
El, as I said in Blue Jewel OOC, it's not that I enjoy hurrying things along. It's just when a thread has come to a screeching halt (for whatever reason), it sometimes helps to just RP a change of scenary. It enlivens everyone to move on. I have no problem with a little action on the way to Imladris, I just want the thread to thrive and move, in whatever direction. We have 5 players at the moment, and all of us are slow at posting due to real world problems. So a nice leisurely moving along will take us into next year before we ever reach Imladris. *laughing*

~len, that was a great contribution you listed here. I think we can choose one of the names from your quote:

"But the other two Istari were sent for a different purpose. Morinehtar and Romestamo. Darkness-slayer and East-helper. Their task was to circumvent Sauron: to bring help to the few tribes of Men that had rebelled from Melkor-worship, to stir up rebellion…".... "

This particular quote seems to fit in with the thought I have....that one went over to the dark side, either due to being captured and tortured or, like Saruman, just because he was seduced. This is the type of Istari we would be looking for. We have 4 names (according to your findings) we can choose from. I think I'd like one of the ones most often mentioned...Alatar and Pallando. They come from an older era and their language (probably Early Quenya) would be perhaps long forgotten in the 3rd age, thus the need for our Aunt Penny cross-over. How about the rest of you? What do you think?

Afterthought! Check out this site (the encyclopedia of Arda):
http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.htm?http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/faq/comparison.html

I particularly like this quote:
Tolkien tells us 'What success they [Alatar and Pallando] had I do not know; but I fear they failed, as Saruman did, though doubtless in different ways; and I suspect they were the founders or beginners of secret cults and 'magic' traditions that outlasted the fall of Sauron.' (The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, No. 211).

That adds to our quest...that maybe one of them did go over to the dark side, whether voluntarily or not is the question we must answer. Check out the site and let me know if you can't open it for some reason. I can give you the URL for the home page and you can just scroll down on the left, click on letter I and click on Istari...

[Edited on 29/5/2005 by berethedhellen]
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2005 11:46
I found another quote that might be of interest the encyclopedia of arda site:

"The Valar originally intended to send just three Maiar as emissaries to Middle-earth. Aiwendil (Radagast) was added to this number by Yavanna, and Pallando was taken by Alatar 'as a friend'..."

That would mean that either the Valar have "made a bad choice" when they picked the Istari (that would be so if we chose to use Alatar) or that Alatar did not choose his friends well. It might be fun to imagine that we are actually searching both of them as we don't know much about their history. Then we might possibly find Alatar (or if he "died" trace of him) and learn if both had turned evil or only one of them and there was something alike to Gandalf / Saruman in the east too, with Alatar regretting to have taken Pallando along.

Just a thought that came up when I read this....
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2005 10:39
Bereth', I have a diffrent view on this hastening or getting bored or static business, but I do respect your opinion of course.

Why don't we just use the BLUE wizards name, Ithryn Luin, sounds cool to me
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2005 08:31
Well, the name Ithryn Luin was given to both Alatar and Pallando as they were chosen by Oromë. I think we had narrowed it down on these two anyway, had we not?
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: June 03, 2005 06:57
Okay, I like Alatar and Pallando as the two we are searching for. Finding them will determine which, if either/or both of them, had become dark Istari. Yes, do recall how Gandalf thought that Saruman was "the leader of my order" and would have all the answers, little knowing that Saruman had crossed to the dark side.

Now, it's just a matter of journeying on to Imladris and then hitting the libraries of Elrond. Let's hope Jaid is available for this twist.

Sadly, we are horseless at the moment. *chuckles*
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: June 05, 2005 06:36
We have our horses ... and a new char, sort of. Thad will be a NPC and anyone can make conversation with him (in other words, speak for him)...as long as they remember he is a 10 year old boy and a little shy and scared. He will grow in self-assurance with the guidance of the elegant elves and the tough ranger and he's very good with horses...finds that he is almost as good as an elf in horsewhispering.

So onward to Imladris we go..............
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2005 07:38
Bereth,
please can you pm me, if you have a particular idea in mind you want my charries to follow? Like sending Erkenwine to get horses. I couldn't make out from your initial post, what it was you wanted from Erkenwine, to me it seemed as if you hinted, that the horses should be lost. So I tried to follow your idea to deal with it and took up Anaeras idea as well. But as it seemed, the way I was going was not what you had in mind at all, obviously you didn't mean for the horses to be lost but rather that they should be found still in Bree.

I think its easer to follow your intent, if you pm it to me beforehand. Cause I think its a little Daddy-Son kinda style if
Cir tells Erkenwine to go do this, then tell him, he should have done something else, and he should not have handled it this or that way.... because then one wonders why Cir isn't just dealing with the matter himself.

You see where I'm getting at? I mean a Ranger normally doesn't need to be told what to do, right? But if you express or hint your ideas as part of the game it seems as if our charries are all children that need to be corrected and told what to do, and then their true personalities are lost. So a pm with info beforehand would be a splendid idea. We could avoid confusions and its much easier than to keep on telling a charrie what to do during the game until the player understands what it is you wanted from them *broad grin*
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: June 05, 2005 08:48
Where is this thread going? It's been asked so I shall answer:

We are heading for Imladris, where a council is being held by Elrond (you all know what council that is). Cir and his group will arrive a day too late to be involved...the fellowship has already been chosen.

However, Gelmir has a quest of his own. Two of the Istari have gone missing. He explores Elrond's library for information, getting assistance from Aunt Penny's counterpart. The rest of the group will have little to do other than aid Gelmir during this time. But..when Gelmir finds a clue....

The group will all take off on a journey to find what has become of the two Istari - have they gone to the dark side? Have they been tortured and killed? Is one of the Istar still good and trying to bring the other back to the side of light? What? We won't know until we find them.

Another question that has arisen (I believe Aneras asked) is will we be crossing back over to the modern day versions of our chars for any reason in the near future? I leave this question to all of you. Will it disrupt our quest in ME? Would it be fun to cross back into the present again and will it serve any purpose? Should we wait to cross back until the end of the quest? This one is up for grabs. I'd like to see what all of you think so spit it out here in OOC.
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2005 05:56
well I think that we should swap back for a while. As the title of the thread is 'Time Warp in Wales' , I was under the impression that there was gonna be a lot of warping in it. besides, I enjoy the warping part, everyone's thrown into confusion, and I enjoy playing the two different charas.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: June 06, 2005 12:36
Madi, you didn't finish....I'm going to post part of your email here and let the others look it over. I think it has possibilities. BUT....I think it would probably be Gelmir who would have to cause the warp by seeing something and having that Warpy feeling come over him. *giggle* But, that depends heavily on ~len's desire to get that confused. She's probably confused enough as it is. Anyway, here's your thought:

"I kind of had an idea about why they would be swapping back to the RW. What if part of the clue about the Istari was hidden there, and we got swapped back to find it? It could be pretty easy to find, like someone finds something in a letter from Tolkien that hasn't been read by much people. And
then when we find that we can swap back. Just a suggestion..."

Okay, gang....what do you all think? About the swapping in general? About the swapping for a missing clue?

Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2005 08:42
Oooh, I kinda like it. Despite the confusion, lol. It is very interesting, but I was wondering - what is the time difference between portals?

I mean, we had our characters warp into ME, but what about the real world? Is it like the TAles of Narnia where ten years in Narnia is only a single moment in our world? Just curious.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: June 08, 2005 02:23
Well, bear in mind, Jaid....we've only been wandering around in ME for a few days. I can't see it being much different in time frame from the RW. And ~len doesn't have to be the one to get warpy. Cir could be aiding in the research and get that feeling himself. After all, he was the one who began the entire warp in the first place. The most difficult thing, I think, is determining where they would wake up in the RW. They would have to share the same mileage they had already traveled in ME. It would put them in England somewhere...I'll have to research the approx. distances and see where we would end up.
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2005 11:48
I'd also enjoy to return to RW for a while. But I think as we had said earlier that Cir was the key to the whole transition thing we should stick to it. But maybe Gelmir sais something like: "I can't find the missing clue here..." or something like that and so gives Cir the reason for unconsciously swapping back?
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2005 06:00
yes, I do agree as well, that Gelmir should get...'shocked' when he studies a book in Imladris and finds a clue, and this little 'shock' or surprise or whatever could propel us all back into the RW. Cool....
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2005 11:49
I've been out of town on short notice. Sorry for not having posted. I'll catch up as soon as I can (and maybe after a good night's sleep to get rid of this headache... )
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: June 17, 2005 05:33
First, good to see you, ~len. Have thought about you every day, wondering how you are. Don't worry about the headaches...they get less and less as weeks go by. I only get one now and then, sometimes go for months without one (except when I'm under a lot of stress...LOL)

Everyone, I agree. As soon as we get to Imladris and into Elrond's library, we will be kicked back into RW for a short time, at least until we find the missing clue for .. whatever.

Good to see everyone still involved though.
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2005 08:33
Hope you don't mind me noting on this, but...how come everyone is now refering to hooves of horses and scorch marks on Amun sul? are you suggesting that Aragorn and the hobbits have already met the Nazguls there? As far as I remember, we left Bree before Aragorn and even if they went the same way, they wouldn't arrive there before us, they went on foot and we went by horse....

Alright, I guess you think I'm nitpicking.. sorry about it, but I just thought it would also be better if we would arrive in Imladris before the council started, before all the well-known charries arrive so that then we can warp back into modern times before this well-known story continutes, without us of course.... wouldn't that be better? Its just a thought...just a thought, thought aloud. so please don't get upset about it. Thanks
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: June 21, 2005 01:19
Ask the fair Aneras, who has thrown another monkey wrench into the plotline around which we are all struggling to make it work. I agree with you, El, re: Aragorn's group. They may have left very early the morning before we left (due to the delay with the horses) but they would still be slogging through the wilderness and the swamp...on foot. Perhaps we can just work into the script that many use this place (as you have already hinted) and it could be anyone that had been there.

And as we are ahead of them, we will surely arrive before they do....thus we will have warped back to RW while the council is going on and will not return until it is over and decided upon...right, everyone?
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2005 06:09
Oh, sorry, I've done it again. I really should start explaining these things! It wasn't supposed to be Aragorn adn the hobbits, coz even if they had gotten there, the wraiths didnt have horses there, and they werent on top of the hill anyway, but in a holey thing on the side.It wasn't really suposed to be a plot line or anything, it was just a little detail. Like Elebridith said, it could easily just be a ranger or something, but what it was initally supposed to be was the marks from Gandalf's fight there, coz if you remember, he leaves scorch marks on the floor. But it doesn't matter.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: June 22, 2005 07:22
It's okay, Madi. I posted in the thread and worked it out.

Now everyone,,,,on to Imladris! lol
Elebridith
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 08, 2005 10:48
Sorry to have mentioned it, I guess my mind works too logical sometimes and then I stumble about things that don't seem to fit in my understanding. Sorry, doesn't really matter, does it?
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: July 14, 2005 04:40
Jaid, Aneras, Elebridith, ~A_Lasgalen~..............

Is this a dead topic? Darn, and just when it was getting good.

Let me hear from you all as to whether we should just shut this down.

Ariel
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: July 18, 2005 07:30
Okay, I'm giving this one more shot. Cir needs to be saved...and fast. If El doesn't come back, I'll invent and play a new ranger who just happens to appear at the right moment. I really don't want this to die.

SO COME AND SAVE ME!!!!!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email