Register

<< First1011121314Last >>
Author Topic:
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part III
on: September 15, 2005 01:12
Methinks you wouldn't hear any protests.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2005 04:23
Love your poem, swabby. You really didn't have to prove yourself to me. I know that you quality is the upmost.
I fancy your drawings, especially the one of Aragorn. He looks so life-like I can almost hear him saying, "Have swabby draw me in a kilt." (All kidding aside, your work is very good!)

I think that this group of sword-loving gals needs to find an instructor and have group lessons. Do you think anyone would take us on? I'm sure that we could cause wreck and ruin to those who would stand against us in battle (and hopefully not those who stand beside us at practice.) Come now..what say you?

MT
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2005 05:15
I'm not sure what to think about you ladies and your swords. Just knowing that you had them seemed A bit scary, but now you're wanting to learn how to slice and dice with them too. I have two words for your husbands ---- MITHRIL SKIVIES!

Question: What did the snail say when it rode on the turtle's back?
Answer: Wheeeeee!

Question: Why did the chicken cross the road?
Answer: To show the armadillo that it COULD be done.

Did any of you read roses poem? It was awsome!

swabby sleeps peacefully knowing his wife has no knife.

awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: September 16, 2005 11:03
MTMS,
You crack me up. Oh sorry slang to a teacher I know it is a no no :nono: So, you are very humorous and I do love to laugh. I to would love to take sword lessons but I agree we need a--lot of room.
Swabby ,the armadillo joke was really funny as was the mithril skivies.
Well, have a good day.
Awelyn 418
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 16, 2005 06:58
Hi gang. :wave:

I haven't been here in sooo looonnnnggg that it looks like I have missed a few things.

I have read all your posts and they are great.

Rose: I too also listen to blink 128 and Green Day. I also listen to Good Charlotte. I think the twins are cute. I also listen to the music of the 50', 60's, 70's and 80's. I was 7 years old in 1969. I have a brother that is 10 years older than me and got me into the Beatles. I have everyone of their albums on cassette. Haven't gotten them to CD yet. Just bought Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band with Pter Frampton and the Bee Gees. It was great to see it.

swabby: I would like to welcome you. I have read your poetry and it's great and enjoyed your music questions. I definitly will check out your art.

I don't have any swords from LOTR but I do have the One Ring. I also collect books on Tolkien. My roommate went to a book sale in the town of 10,000 I live in (Dauphin, Manitoba, Canada) and found a Tolkien book on poems called the Tolkien Reader. It is great. I have created a book of drawings for myself and have included some of the poems in it.

I think that the best part in the book of LOTR is when Gandalf fights the balrog in the Mines of Moria. It was the first thing of the movies that made me cry. I knew that Gandalf lived but what the balrog did to him made Gandalf a better person for the rest of the book.

I finally made it through the Sil. I never thought I would. I have been creating my RP character and I read The Sil like a history book. It made reading it better.

Well, I think I better go before I get to winded. Early day for work. See you all later. :wave:

Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2005 12:37
Hi :wave: balrog. :love:

Swabby: So glad you liked my poem.

Weather is getting colder here in the UK and darker nights. *shivers*. Still the beauty of Autumn to look forward to.

Well gotta run, weekly shop to do.

Hugs all. Laters. :love:
awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 17, 2005 02:41
If you have not read Roseariaelven's poem I would encourage you to read it. It is wonderful. Hi, Balrog you need a medal for condensing so much of our conversations in the little space of your reply.
What good luck to find that book. I have the LOTR books and that's it but Chrisrmas is coming and I have given my family and friends a wish list.
You made it through the Sil! I heard it was a very difficult read. I still want the book though now that my interest is pricked.
Well, I have a ton of housework to do and shopping and I need to go and finish the yard work also. Have a good day.
Awelyn 418
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2005 03:39
LOL, swabby...MITHRIL SKIVIES!!! Wonder if the costume department made any? Was there a "drop seat"?

You are most fortunate, balrog, to have the one ring. I'm sure that it is precious to you. I don't have any LOTR jewerly..yet. My eldest son gave me a beautiful, handcrafted, elvish inspired ring that I have named Calennaur (green fire). The stone is like green marble. I haven't learned all of it's powers yet, but I'm sure that it has something to do with my sweet but firey spirit.:evil:

I've got some excellent additions to put on your christmas list awelyn. The Letters of JRR Tolkien let you know more about the professor and his thoughts while he was writing LOTR. Quite interesting. The Tolkien Reader is great, filled with those wonderful poems that you just get a taste of in LOTR. There is a child-friendly book, Roverandom, that has some adult humor sprinkled in. I'm partial to The Father Christmas Letters that Tolkien wrote to his children. One treasure that I stumbled across was a published poem entitled Bilbo's Last Song. There are some lines that I would like to have on my gravestone.

I gotta go, as my out of town guest should be awakening any moment. It's my responsibility to entertain her and get her mind off troubles at home. Perhaps we could play around with my swords or watch men in chain mail fight it out!!!

MT

swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2005 04:21
Whew! It sounds like awelyn418 is being over worked. I'd help her if I could.

Greetings balrog! I hope you can come around more often.

I, too, have tried and failed to read the sil. Maybe that little trick of thinking of it as A history would work for me. As it is, I think some little guy in my brain says "This is Tolkien and it's supposed to be entertaining! Where's Frodo?".

I had to take my 14 year old son to A JR High FOOTBALL game last night because he's in the band. ARRRRRRRG. I hate football! There was no place to park, and for blocks all around there was nothing to be seen but drooling, mindless, spiral-eyed football zombies marching towards some pied piper's clarion call. They looked like regular people, but they must have had some kind of implanted mind control device that stole away their normal, logical thoughts and compelled them to leave their airconditioned lairs, go out into the hot, dangerous, mosquito-infested night and gather like worker ants on A dead crickett. I refused to let myself get caught in that rushing onslaught of human debris, so I just stopped in the street, kissed my son, and told him to be brave and get out of the car. It was A nightmare, but we somehow managed to escape from it with our minds unspoiled and still under our control. I came back later and sent Mrs. swabby in after him. She was much better equipped than I to attempt such A rescue, because she used to be one of them. Lucky for her, I subjected her to intense and painful anti-zombie de-programing therapy,and pulled her back from that dark place. She was tough and she brought him out of that stadium-- shaken but safe. We were lucky.
swabby
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: September 17, 2005 08:15
ROFLMAO! I love it, swabby! You described them perfectly. None of my family has succumbed to that dreadful plague at any time in our lives. Hehehehe... We'd rather read a book or play on the computer.
awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 17, 2005 11:25
Swabby, I feel overworked. I to used to be one of the football zombie's. My daughter had a crush on one of the football team's players. If you ever watched Designing Women you heard Charlene talk about Poplar Bluff's football team The Mules. My daughter wanted to go to every game and being the dutiful mother I would always go with her. She graduated school 5 years ago and I have not be to a football game since. Those people can get crazy. :rolling:
MTMS thank you for the suggestions I will keep them in mind for my list. Well, I was taking a break got to get back to work.
Awelyn 418
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 18, 2005 02:34
Ah yes, pumpkins, hay bales, witches on brooms flying across the orange harvest moon; these images came to mind when Rose spoke of cooler nights and the impending arrival of Autumn. How I love that season!
When I was young, the lure of Summer may have been greatest, but now I'm A bit like Gollum as I retreat from the yellow face and its' hot rays. (I've not forgotten the taste of bread, however.)
Friends came by yesterday and we sat out on the patio for the first time in months. I cooked hamburgers and hotdogs on the grill. ("Sliders and rollers", we used to call them in the nav) It was quite pleasant.
I look forward to wearing my new LotR jacket and being outside, watching the leaves fall and not sweating. I missed Autumn when I lived in California and South Texas. (No offense, Belle, there is much that I love about your state) For me, the imagery of Autumn is even more vivid than that of Spring. It's A wonderful season. swabby
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: September 18, 2005 07:08
Heh... No offense taken, swabby. Especially in So. Cal., it tends to feel like one long season. However, even so, it has begun to get cooler here, especially in the evenings. We seem to really on have about two months of Autumn and two of Winter, then the rest of the year is two of spring and six of summer! LOL
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 18, 2005 10:08
Just back from Columbus and one of those---ahhhemm---football games...

Swabby, I loved your poem and Rosie yours also! What talent dwells here among those of mature age and wisdom!

Unfortunately the story was not about Viggo in a kilt; rather it was Aragorn without a kilt that got me into trouble, I guess.

It's midterm week and I have two stacks of 130 paragraphs each to grade. Why does some crazy person keep assigning this work????

Can you keep a secret? I bought Christmas cards today. What happened to Halloween and Thanksgiving? Fall's gone and I've missed it! :cry:

SE
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 18, 2005 11:12
Being from the UK, I am afraid the finer points of American Football are lost on me a little. However, talking of that game, has anyone seen the film 'Rudy'. It stars the beeaauuttiffulll Sean Astin. I have watched it half a dozen times and it's a wonderful film. I have a little itch, where Sean Astin is concerned. :blush:

SE: Talk of Christmas Cards. Yes, the shops are beginning to stock up with Christmassy stuff. :twitch: Over here, we don't celebrate Halloween in the same way as the US, but the interest is growing. We have Bonfire Night (November 5), which can be a nuisance with fireworks. It is a night for pets to be kept indoors. Mind you, people start celebrating .....Booomm, Bang, Whizzz, Wheeee....*covers ears* around about now!!

Keep well everyone :love:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 18, 2005 01:19
I know there are lots of sports fanatics in the world, including some of my friends, and I also know that I am the odd one, not them. I don't know why, but sports have never interested me. I was pretty athletic when I was young and could do gobs of pushups, chinups, situps,(I set A school record for them) and weight lifting. I could do those things with the jocks, and then go hang out with the nerdy smart guys and talk about science or literature.
There was one thing that happened in 1963 that increased my already adverse opinion of football mania. I saw A guy having A regular conipshun fit over the fact that JFK's funeral had pre-empted his football games. He sat two feet from the TV and wrung his hands, bounced up and down in his chair, moaning and lamenting loudly. I was appalled at his calousness.
I know that sports are not without some merit, and I fully accept those who love their games, so I hope no one gets mad at me for not being like them. I love boiled okra, and I'll bet some of you wouldn't eat that stuff if I paid you. swabby
awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 18, 2005 02:47
Swabby,
Boiled okra, no I would not touch it with a ten foot pole but fried okra I just love it. I think with sports there has to be a happy medium. I do agree that was very calloused.
I was one of those kids in school that was the last picked to be on someone's team. I hated sports but could do a back bend or a cartwheel or somersaults. I excelled at tumbling. I went to a very small school and we just had really smart kids and average and the very low when it came to grades. No nerds but I read every book I could get my hands on in the Library. The librarian thought I was strange because I read Silas Mariner because I wanted to not because it was required I was in 7th grade.
Awelyn 418
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 18, 2005 03:39
*Hobbit teacher slides in, hair askew, from short weekend in Denver*

Yummmmm Boiled okra with stewed tomatoes and onions! A childhood staple. Loved them then, love them now. But the spousal unit who does the cooking wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot sword!

Football :twitch: I live in the land of the Cornhuskers. In the capital of said country no less. My father was one of the team doctors for years at UNL, so I was raised on football. I can't stand the game! It's like a religion here. It's so bad that one of our senators got elected pretty much because he used to be the head football coach. Now, I grant you, he's smart and all that, but he basically got elected because he used to be the coach. Running against him would be like running against God. So much of the emphasis at UNL goes to the athletic program anymore. It's sad. UNL used to be a fine *educational* institution. So sad. *off soapbox now*
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 18, 2005 04:31

Unfortunately the story was not about Viggo in a kilt; rather it was Aragorn without a kilt that got me into trouble, I guess.
SE

That kind of story sounds like something I'd be very partial to:heart::love::evil: I need to go check this out!!!

I had a wonderful, exhausting weekend spent cheering my cousin up on her birthday. She's going through a very stressful breakup with her fiance and came to spend the weekend with me. Partied at my house with margureitas, old friends and family. My cheeks hurt from laughing so much. Spent the day at the beach where we roasted in the 93 degree heat and I got too much sun. Gonna be a long, hot Monday.

Football....I'm not a fanatic, but am related to some. My father played in the rose bowl and sugar bowl in the mid-forties for THE Univeristy of Alabama. He was a nose guard and had that nose broken more than 30 times, since the helmets back then didn't have face guards. He's had knee replacement surgery due to football injuries. Though he met my mom at Alabama, she wasn't a cheerleader. Where I come from, you have to claim allegiance to either Auburn university of Alabama. Since I've been able to speak I've said Roll Tide, Roll!!

MT
awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 19, 2005 02:39
Hi ya Scots56,
Now I have never tried boiled okra with stewed tomatoes and onions
that might be ok.
Well we are back to another work week. Yippee that is all the enthusiasm I can manage.
Scots56 I know what you mean. When I went to college the jocks and cheerleaders were allowed to goof off and had special privileges
it was so unfair but you learn to live with it don't you?
MTMS, sounds like you had a good weekend
I have a early day so have a good day mellons.
Awelyn 418
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2005 06:06
Ahhhhhh - I see we have fellow sword collectors here - sindarinelvish and scots56

sindarinelvish - I don't know if I am within 300 miles of you, but I am also a 48 yr old woman who collects swords. My latest acquisition -Narsil (gotta love that e-bay) is my pride and joy. Odd - I am the only woman in my household yet I am the sword collector. My menfolk are into other warrior-like stuff, but I have had a thing for swords since I was little. They are magical, symbolic, graceful and deadly in their beauty.

One of my dreams is to learn the sword form of T'ai Chi.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2005 08:30
A couple of comments on okra. If you had okra, tomatoes and onions all together, you almost had gumbo. Just add roux, chicken broth, bell pepper, garlic and some kind of smoked or barbequed meat like sausage or pulled pork and some chicken or shrimp. There you'd have it---gumbo. It's my understanding that the word "gumbo" means "okra" in some African language. It is believed that gumbo may have been A "localized" version of the delicious Spanish "paella", which uses similar ingredients.

I remember discussing the misunderstood little okra plant with A non-southern friend many years ago. She said she was driving through the South and stopped at A little "mom and pop" type restaraunt, and at some point during the course of placing her order, the waitress asked her if she wanted some boiled okra. My friend, not being familiar with the local accent, thought she said "bald okra", and was amazed that some one would go to so much trouble to shave the little guys prior to cooking.

Some of you may be thinking "What's with this swabby? Is he A chef too?" I think I may have told some of you that my parents divorced when I was seven and I was placed in my dad's custody. I was the original "home alone" kid, because dad was always at work or at the beer joint. By the age of about nine, I had gotten pretty tired of baloney sandwiches, so I started trying to cook. I learned how to cook because I had to. It's A skill that has come in handy. Anybody want my ultra-easy recipe for A unique crunchy breakfast flapjack? You'd like it! swabby
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: September 19, 2005 09:11
Ooh.. That sounds yummy, swabby! Yes, please!
awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 19, 2005 02:18
Swabby, is a flapjack like a pancake? If it is I would like the recipe.
Our weather is crazy here. Saturday was quite nippy in the morning.
Somewhat warmer in the afternoon . It was in the 90's today and so humid. What happened to Autumn:cry:
Swabby That is so funny about the okra and that little fuzz on there sure does itch when you pick it.
My son loves to cook and he use to make some of the wildest things that would be delicious.
Awelyn 418
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2005 02:52
Ahhhhhh - I see we have fellow sword collectors here - , but I have had a thing for swords since I was little. They are magical, symbolic, graceful and deadly in their beauty.

I love your words about swords, Neenime. Those are my feelings as well. I love their gracefullness and dangerousness. :heart::heart::heart:

I'm not partial to okra except when it's fried or in gumbo. I was going to make some seafood gumbo from a secret family recipe, but I'm afraid of all that toxic gumbo they're pumping out of New Orleans may affect the local shrimp and crabs. :cry:
I actually prefer not to cook. Guess I am lazy in the kitchen. Let's have your recipe swabby. I may surprise my family and cook something.
Found a new restaurant to frequent when I was at the beach yesterday. Cousin (it was her 49th birthday) and I ate a West Indies salad and fried crab claws. The waiter was very cute and gave us a free beer. I'm going back there next time and trying the steamed royal reds and bread pudding with whiskey sauce.

MT
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2005 03:47
I'll just put my crispy flapjack recipe here so anyone who's interested will have it. It is much like A big, thick pancake, but mine's not soft, it's crispy. It can be used in place of biscuits, toast, or whatever.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In A small or medium bowl, mix about one cup self-rising flour with one tablespoon liquid shortening and enough buttermilk to make A very thick but stirable batter. Just stir it all up good with A spoon, then pour into A warm teflon skillet in which was already melted about one tablespoon of margarine or butter. Spred the mixture about untill it covers most of the bottom, (I make mine pretty and round) then cover and cook over medium heat untill it is cooked somewhat around the edges. You will need A large spatula to turn it over, being careful not to mess it up. Cover and cook another 2 or 3 minutes, then toss the flapjack straight from the skillet onto the bare oven rack and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, or untill golden brown and crispy. Remove, let cool A couple of minutes, then slice or just break into servings. The crispy crust is the thing you must achieve and is what makes this different from A traditional flapjack. It doesn't sound like much, but is really good if you get it right. Have it with eggs, with gravy over it, or with honey or jelly. If you have A serious old-timey streak in you like I do, you might try my favorite---- molasses and butter. I do 95% of the cooking at my house, and my crispy flapjack is always A hit. swabby
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2005 03:55
58 freshman paragraphs down, 73 more to go...it's a wonder I'm able to write in anything resembling English.....

Okra is great stuff. You can toss into soup to thicken it up. Grits is another Southern delicacy that I quite enjoyed in pre-Atkins days....with butter and syrup, which I know cause Southern folks to shiver. I also like fried mush which my grandma used to make all the time but high fallootin' folks now call polenta.

I've got to batten down the hatches, Swabby! There's a line of storms headed this way that looks really mean!

MT, my story is banished from COE but you can find it at Henneth-Annun.net under Sindarinelvish, of course. It's called "When in Dreams We Dwell" and is a little adult at the beginning, but only because it needs to be. Bellebayard also plans to include it in her site. Thanks, Belle, for the great comment!

Neenime, I love the T'ai Chi type of sword exercise also and it's on my list for "One Day!"

SE

SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2005 03:57
I think that I can do that recipe, swabby. It doesn't sound low calorie, though. I may have to spray my fake butter on it and top it with fruit spread. I like the crispy texture of it and will let you know how it turns out for me when I attempt your recipe this weekend.
Just finished reading your fanfiction Sindarinelvish. WOW!! I love what I have read, mostly about Aragorn (my favorite subject) in his youth. You're captured the essence of his spirit as a boy growing into manhood, at least how I imagined he could be. Can't wait till I can read more!!
Enjoyed your poetry as well, Rosearialelven. I admire your ability to put thoughts into words that paint detailed pictures in my mind. I wish that I were talented as many of you are.

MT
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2005 05:17
Hi, gang. :wave:

Rose: I know all about Guy Fawkes Day. I took it in grade 9 history class. I guess that's as close to Halloween as you Englanders get. Some people here in Manitoba go all out. It's almost like having Roseanne Barr in your living room.

Weather here is chilly at night. Gets to 33F with highs in the day at 69F. We got our first touch of frost on Saturday.

Talking of seafood MTMS. I love it but on the weekend I found out I have an allergy to seafood sauce. I bought a seafood dip we make in the deli I work in and ate half of it with crackers on Saturday. I woke up yesterday with hands that itched so bad that I could have peeled the skin off my hands and it would still hurt. They still itch today. Right now they are not bad. Still red.

swabby: I thank you for the recipe. I have always wanted a recipe on flapjacks. I lived with a lady that came from Ohio and she always made flapjacks. They were great. I'll try your recipe and let you know.

I have a great recipe for biscuits. You can keep the dry ingredients on the shelf mixed up in a container for up to six weeks. All you have to do is add the wet ingredients. I'll post it for anyone who wants it. I also have a recipe for pumpkin pie that has no crust. It uses some of the dry ingredients that is used for the biscuits. I'll post that one too, especially that Halloween is coming up.

My mother grew okra. We used it to spice up stews and soups. It was great.

Well, should go and put my fingers to rest. Have to work with them tomorrow.
namarie

swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 01:40
Do any of you find many of our user names difficult? Some of them like "balrog" and "scots56" are fairly easy for me to remember, but others---whew! I hope it's ok for me to shorten or condense some of them into A name that my high-milage and abused lump of grey matter can deal with.

Sindy, I hope those thunder-boomers didn't damage your property. Is it ok for me to call you that?

And balrog, I wish some of your nice cool Canadian air could find it's way down to Arkansas, because we need it. (Not too much, though) It was back up into the nineties yesterday.
Please give us your recipes, if you don't mind.

I didn't know that so many people outside of the south were familiar with the fuzzy little okra. I love it any way you make it. How about artichokes? The first time I ever tried one of those I said "There's nothing here to eat!" but after I had it A couple of more times I said "Yeah, give me some more of that artichoke". I don't know if I was born with an open mind about food or if "going to bed hungry" as A child had something to do with it. In my earliest childhood years, dinner time was A peaceful time. There was no bickering and fighting when we sat down to eat, so that may have partly shaped my attitudes about food and eating.

I, too, try to watch the calories, but more than that, I try to eat "heart healthy". I had an unsuccessful heart bypass surgery back in '91 that left me with half A heart. The whole front wall of my heart is scar tissue. That kinda took the wind out of swabby's sails.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 01:41
Balrog: et: Owie on the seafood allergy! I hope your hands feel better soon.

I, for one, am sitting here with an index finger on ice. I burned it on the iron as I was de-wrinkling my shirt for today, brilliant person that I am. It's a tiny thing, but boy it hurts! I'm such a baby. Of course, I have to go to a workshop today where I am going to be keyboarding all day. That should be fun. lol

Ah, autumn! I wish it was here! It's supposed to be close to 90 here today. I'm ready for the change. Fall is my absolute favorite time of year.

Have a wondeful day at work, all!

Namárië
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 02:17
Balrog - Yikes! Sounds like you're going to have to watch seafood. Allergies like that only get worse. So sorry to hear about it.

scots56 - Ouch! I hate burns on my hands because they make it so hard to do anything. After the ice, you need to keep it covered because exposing it to air increases the pain.

swabby - Nah, I don't think we'll mind the shortening. Hard to say why you're so open-minded about food. I think I am because I got hauled to so many ethnic restaurants when I was a kid. I'll definitely try your recipe this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

sindarinelvish - My pleasure in posting your work. I have an adult site so it's more than appropriate there. I'm afraid we have to stay PG-13 here because of the number of younger folks. Don't want some parents going wonky if we have something that they might think more than that. *sigh* Ah well, we try to be as open as possible, but you know how it goes. *roll eyes* LOL
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 02:45
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! One more thing before I have to go to my workshop (feel sorry for me please, it's assessment rewriting time again.:cry: ).

Hanging on my all important bulliten board by my office desk is a ticket. And not just *any* ticket mind you, a very special ticket it be. "A ticket to what?" you ask.

WELL... it just so happens that my wonderful sister got a bunch of us in our family (I'm the youngest of 7) tickets for Howard Shore's LotR concert in Denver, Colorado on May 21st. I am soooooooo stoked, you cannot even imagine! Well, I suppose that you can. lol This will be the closest I'll ever get to any event that is LotR related. Living on the Plains of Gorgoroth as I do, nothing of note ever comes here. Well, of note as far as LotR is concerned.

Well, I really *must* get myself to work. *gag*

[Edited on 20/9/2005 by scots56]
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 06:42
Rose: I know all about Guy Fawkes Day. I took it in grade 9 history class. I guess that's as close to Halloween as you Englanders get. Some people here in Manitoba go all out. It's almost like having Roseanne Barr in your living room.

Us 'Scotlanders' do celbrate Halloween. Traditionally we would have lanterns made of hollowed out turnips (that's swedes if you are English) Dooking (that's bobbing) for apples and trying to eat treacle scones suspended from the ceiling on a string without using your hands. We also occasionally get guisers, i.e kids who dress up and come round the doors singing for money. Of course these days it's only usually kids you already know as people don't want their children going knowcking on stranger's doors. My sister in law treats halloween as if she were Roseanne Barr and decorates her living room accordingly. The US trick or treat idea has caught on here as well, partly because we all get US shows and partly I suspect because the traditions are similar.

HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 06:44
Of course personally I am hoping for Aragorn or Viggo in disguise to turn up wearing a kilt...now that would be a treat!
<< First1011121314Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email