Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
Post Fans over Forty ~ Part III
on: May 14, 2005 03:23
Whoa! Our wonderful thread just reached 600 posts!!! That's a lot to wade through to find the last one, so I've creating the FoF Part III. You can read our prior posts in Fans over Forty ~ Part II and the FoF Original. In the meantime, I'll ask one of the mods to lock that thread.

Here is RangerNorlin's original post of 6-26-2003, and the premise for this thread, although we have deviated from it many times, but always seem to come back to our Love of All Things Tolkien.
Tired of fans who think The Professor stole ideas from Harry Potter? Let's talk about a lifetime love of the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, aka The Professor - how has it shaped and changed your life over the years?

Here's to the Fans over Forty and another thread of more than 600 posts!!! :cheers:

~ ~ ~

I'd like to welcome all of the new FoF'rs and say hi to all of the not so new FoF'rs. I might not have much to say, but I'm keeping up with all of the posts! It is always so nice to know we're not alone. *warm hugs*
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part III
on: May 14, 2005 03:38
Yippee!! I get to post almost first on Fans Over Forty Part III. It certainly didn't take long for us to get through Parts One and Two!

Aaahhhhh, kids are dismissed, report cards finished, school picnic/awards night done, summer vacation has begun. Well, not totally. Since I'm in such a small school (one other full time teacher and myself), I have a lot of end-of-the-year paperwork to do. Maybe a couple of weeks, but then I'm done. I don't mind the last couple of weeks as it's fun spending the school's money for the next year as we do our ordering. Now...filling out the paperwork for the State.... :twitch:

I hope all of you have lovely plans for the weekend. It's supposed to be nice here in Nebraska. A little on the cool and windy (no surprise about the wind) side here, but on the whole pretty nice. My "baby" turns 21 today; evidently the same birthday as Cate Blanchett. But as he lives about 1500 miles away, I'll have to wish him happy birthday from a distance. Besides, who wants to spend their 21st birthday with the old parents????
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: May 14, 2005 06:27
Wow... Prolific, aren't we? This weekend is chore time (as always). Now that I don't work permanent 12 hour nights any more, but the regular 7:30-4 M-F, weekends are busy just trying to get stuff done around the house. In addition, I'm sewing a peasant costume for a friend's 12 y/o daughter for a school project about the Medieval period. Having so much fun, we just might have to take our D&D to a new level and LARP! Hehehehe...
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2005 06:27
Greetings - One and All.

I haven't popped into the sight very often in the last several months. My life has been 'overloaded' with Tolkien. I've been taking a literature class called "A Survey of Tolkien." We have read and studied all of his published works. Four major papers: Chapter Study, Source Study (something we know Tolkien read), A Critique of A Critique - (something someone wrote about Tolkiens Work), and last a Character Study. It has been a lot for me to keep up with, but I have gained so much from the class.

I have also learned that today's youth are very bright and intellegent. I have more hope for the future than I ever had before. I am 55 later this year and this class was full of first and second year college kids (18-22.) One older guy (late 60's) who dropped the class when we started the Silmarillion. Another fellow about mid-30's and me. It was exciting to sit in a room full of people talking about the Professor. So much insight! One fellow, 18, shared a lot with me. He writes poetry so well that when he recited some of his work I was completely mesmerized. He hasn't published anything yet, but if he continues, we will see his name in print someday.

When I said we read all of Tolkiens work, I left out the part that some of us were fortunate enough to read some of the unpublished stuff. We took a trip to Milwaukee, WS to Marquette University where we were allowed into the archives that house a major portion of Tolkiens manuscripts. They don't let you see or touch the originals, but it has all been photo copied and they bring you archival boxes with folders of the works. I spent a lot of time looking at some of the first 2 books. I also looked at microfilm of his art work. The most impressive thing that I looked over were his notes on the character interaction once the fellowship was broken. His way of keeping what each little group was doing on the same day. It was spectacular.

If any of you ever have an opportunity to attend a class on Tolkien or to visit the University, don't pass it up.

May the grace of the Valar shine upon you all your days.

[Edited on 14/5/2005 by Lothien_Vilya]
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: May 14, 2005 06:31
Oh how awesome, Lothine_Vilya! Not only do I mod here, but I belong to sooo many Yahoo groups that revolve around Tolkien's works and the love people have for his work. In addition, I've joined one that involves an awesome amateur movie loosely (and I do mean loosely) based on the Sil. Ancanar has been going on for a number of years now and it looks like it might become more than just a flash in the pan. The film makers have written original characters, but the tone of the whole thing gives credit to the Sil and Tolkien's world.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2005 12:27
I saw the filmmakers of Ancanar at The Gathering of the Fellowship in December 2003. They seemed to be resentful if not contemptuous of Peter Jackson and the large budget he had to make the three Lord of the Rings films. They had teamed with Joe Piela of The Lonely Mountain Forge whose disregard for Peter Jackson's films was even more apparent. While I admire their artistic talent and the efforts they're making to produce a film, I have to admit their attitudes rubbed me the wrong way. I find the plot and a number of elements very derivative of The Silmarillion.
hobbitnamedeliza
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2005 06:56
Just wanted to say hello...this is the first time I've been here at the Pony...and WHAT A WONDERFUL SURPIRSE this thread is! I'm all for youth, but sometimes it's nice to be at home with folks you own age, too, huh?

delerithoflorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2005 11:07
Welcome to FoF hobbitnamedeliza :wave: .

I`me sure you will find many friends and have plenty of enjoyable discussions here. Everybody is so friendly and it is nice to be with folks of your own age. You will definetely feel right at home here.

I have heard of Ancanar and saw an early trailer - it seemed to be quite interesting but did`nt investigate any further at the time. I`ll have to have another look at their site to see what my thoughts are on it.

Well finally we have had some glorious weather and very shortly I am going to go outside and sit and read for a little before I start work this afternoon. What a thought going into work on a glorious day like today. Temperture must be around 20` and that is warm for Scotland.

Hope everyone has had a nice weekend and you are all well.
Even the smallest person can change the course of history.
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2005 05:33
I had never heard of the Ancanar thing before. I guess it may be the mood I am currently in but sometimes I think it's unfortunate that anyone ever made any films at all. It seems sad to me that this wonderful volume of literature which has been enjoyed by so many for so long has been turned into a big business that causes as much strife and outright animosity as pleasure and enjoyment. I've been a Tolkien fan for many, many years. Most of those years I've found that to be a good common ground for establishing contact and even friendship with people I'd probably never have had any interaction with otherwise. I don't think the Professor intended to create a battleground when he wrote his books. It grieves me to see them turned into that. It always seemed to me that one of the overriding themes of his wooks is that disparate peoples with different ideals can work together for the common good of all. It's a theme I hope to see continue.

Edited to add this:

I personally enjoy PJ's movies although I admit it took some adjusting to accept some of the alterations he did to the characters and the story. It is an interpretation and was well done with amazing attention to details.

[Edited on 15/5/2005 by Celebrian]
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: May 15, 2005 06:54
Celebrian... Yes, one has to accept these films were PJ's way of giving tribute to the Professor. Yeah, I didn't agree with some of it, but it's an intimidating task to take such rich books and put them to film while keeping the overall tone of them.

Old_Tom_Bombadil said:I saw the filmmakers of Ancanar at The Gathering of the Fellowship in December 2003. They seemed to be resentful if not contemptuous of Peter Jackson and the large budget he had to make the three Lord of the Rings films. They had teamed with Joe Piela of The Lonely Mountain Forge whose disregard for Peter Jackson's films was even more apparent. While I admire their artistic talent and the efforts they're making to produce a film, I have to admit their attitudes rubbed me the wrong way. I find the plot and a number of elements very derivative of The Silmarillion.

Yes, Tom, I've heard the part about it being derivative of the Sil before. However, I'm sorry that they're so... negative about PJ. Why do people in the arts seem so determined to snub their noses and be negative about others who have accomplished things? In fighting and all the ugliness I have seen not just in film making but in almost every other art just makes me want to :cry:. *sigh* PJ did a really good job of putting into a visual medium what was a complex, detail-oriented work of writing over nearly an entire adult lifetime. I have no beef with Ancanar being loosely based on the Sil. What I object to is their attitude. Argh...
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2005 02:56
Hi. Just like to say welcome to the newbies. :wave:

Someone talked about things they were doing for the weekend. Well I arrived on a 22.5 hour bus ride to Chicago from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I arrived at Lothien_Vilya place for a two week holiday. Things got a little rocky but turned out.

We went to the Field Museum in Chicago and saw Sue, the T-rex that was put on display 5 years ago. This weekend we went to help her celebrate her 5th birthday. We went on our own before the tour got there. Also saw the Egyptian Exhibit. It was great. These are some of the things I wanted to see on my holiday.

Now I will sit back and relax for 11 days. Don't know what she has planned but I hope it's nothing strenuous. But I hope she will show me a few sites.

Anyways I will toddle off to bed because you don't get much sleep on a bus.

I will say goodnight and everyone have a good week.

[Edited on 18/6/2005 by balrog]
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2005 03:24
Yes, Tom, I've heard the part about it being derivative of the Sil before. However, I'm sorry that they're so... negative about PJ. Why do people in the arts seem so determined to snub their noses and be negative about others who have accomplished things? In fighting and all the ugliness I have seen not just in film making but in almost every other art just makes me want to . *sigh* PJ did a really good job of putting into a visual medium what was a complex, detail-oriented work of writing over nearly an entire adult lifetime. I have no beef with Ancanar being loosely based on the Sil. What I object to is their attitude. Argh...

It's sad. I had never heard of this movie before, and so I went to check it out. It seemed so petty, their sniping at P.J. Of course, it's always easy to criticize. Maybe a bit of Tolkien-envy perhaps??? :evil: With their attitude, I don't think I'll be rushing out to see that "adaptation" because heaven knows, it won't be up to the work of Tolkien!

I'm just glad I have the books to curl up with and immerse myself in Tolkien's wonderful world. I have not come across anyone who writes with the skill that he has. His words just evoke such vivid images. Of course, I'm kind of preaching to the choir here, aren't I? LOL
hobbitnamedeliza
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2005 05:35
Balrog, did you see the big Maneless Lions? They are at the Field Museum and are the ones the movie, "The Ghost and The Darkness" are about. I've always thought that if I ever got to Chicago, I'd go see them!
VendeaErunyauve
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2005 06:25
Hello new thread! :wave:

Welcome hobbitnamedeliza! :wave: :wave:
hobbitnamedeliza
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2005 02:43
Thanks, VendeaErunyauve and everyone else who's extended a welcome! Wow...this is so "homey"
faramirgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2005 05:39
Well today was the first day of my two weeks class. My money has not come in, but I had found the book that I needed for the class at the library. Yea me, now I don't have to buy the book, I will check it out at the libaray and when the class ends on the 27th I will just return it to the library. We listened to tapes/cd's and watched two video's on the history of rock and roll. We have to do a presentations on two songs and fine a theme to the songs. I had pick these two songs, "I hope you dance by LeeAnn Womack and I'll be by Reba." And my theme is "Don't give up on hope" Since I do not have a foppy disk on my computer Ed is going to let me use the computer in the class room so that it will go to power point and be ready when I have to give my presentation. I just love this teacher he is just so cool and it is very hard not to get a A in his classes, you really have to work hard on getting a bad grade in his class. HIs classes are always so hard to get into, for they fill up fast. And after class I work at the library for 4 1/2 hours.

I am so tried, I had stayed up late this weekend and did not get enough sleep, and I paid for it at 7 o'clock this morning. Well I should sleep good tonight. It was kinda of chilly this morning and then warmed up some and now it looks like it is going to rain any minute now. It is such a gloomy Monday.

:yawn:
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: May 17, 2005 07:30
Hey, a shiny new thread!

Welcome, Eliza! :hug: As a few others here have already said, it's great to have a chance to talk about your Middle-earth enthusiasm with people of your own age.

Balrog, please keep us updated about your trip! I'm sure you're having a great time!
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2005 11:31
*looks round new thread* :wave: Hi de ho neighbours. :love:

I always mean to post in here, but seem to get sidetracked. *sigh*.

Great to hear you arrived at Lostien's, Balrog. You must be having a wonderful time. :love:

Hi Scots :wave:

Glad you found the Elders of the Realm, hobbitnamedeliza. :love:

Speaking of weather. It's pretty darned cold in the UK. *hello Mother Nature!! It's May!!* Brrrrr.

Hope everyone is keeping well and I really must try to get in here more often. Hugs. :love:
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2005 03:27
Hi everyone!

In just two short weeks, I can take all the time to read and post as much as I want. To quote Alice Cooper "School's Out for Summer!" Hurray! :disco:

My plans are to dig in my garden dirt, write, and relax!

My students are working on a War of the World unit to end the year. I've been showing them clips from Sci-fi movies about first contacts...their HW assignment was to watch Independence Day, we watched a Twilight Zone episode "To Serve Man" in class and the Vulcans' arrival clip from First Contact. The students actually had some deep thoughts: many felt that we as humans would probably shoot first before seeing if our visitors were friendly. Of course, most decided if a spacecraft landed on the football field, they would run in the opposite direction, screaming like little girls. Actually if the galactic visitors knew my students, THEY'd be the ones running and screaming!

DH can't wait to see Star Wars this weekend. He's reading the movie times for Saturday to me now. Of course, he wants to see it in the DLP theatre.

Hello to everyone! Hope the sun is smiling on you or the rain falls gently.

Oh, have we mentioned Viggo in a kilt lately?
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2005 07:19
Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!

Welcome to FoF, Eliza! :wave:

DH can't wait to see Star Wars this weekend. He's reading the movie times for Saturday to me now. Of course, he wants to see it in the DLP theatre.

Tomorrow morning going to see Star Wars I am. Early it will be when with my wife I go.

(Actually, she's the Star Wars fan. I'm taking her for her birthday, which was last week. :blush: )

scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2005 11:43
To quote Old Tom:

Just from Revenge of the Sith have I come. Hummm, yes, very good. Must go again, must I. Ahh, yes, I must.

[Edited on 25/7/2005 by scots56]
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: May 20, 2005 11:58
Hehhee... Most likely will to the early go! Yoda rocks! LOL... Long term SW fanatic am I. :love: Am sooo looking forward to this.
delerithoflorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2005 02:39
Hope all you Star Wars fans enjoy the movie it looks really good. My brother is away today to see it so I will get all the details when he comes back. He is just as much a Star Wars Fan as he is a Tolkien one.

I wont be posting for about 9 days as I go away on holiday to Majorca tomorrow. But as soon as I am back I will catch up with you all.

See you all soon.

Delerith
Even the smallest person can change the course of history.
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: May 21, 2005 02:52
Everyone I know who has seen Ep. III so far has said that it was well worth seeing so, I have somewhat higher expectations than for the previous parts. I'll have to wait until next weekend before seeing it though; I promised to take my older daughter to see it with me, and she has the last exams this spring at the school next week. But, after they've over...

Enjoy your trip, Delerith!
Valderra
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2005 03:52
I am a huge fan of the first Star Wars Trilogy (Han Solo, Princess Leia and such), and wasn't really bothered about this new trilogy. I did, however, see the first film but wasn't very impressed.
Don't get me wrong, the movie was well done, but it didn't have the kind of impact on me that the 1970s/80s trilogy had.
I guess it's because I love the first trilogy so much, that I made up my mind right from the start that I wouldn't like the second one.
But I have heard that Episode III, which is out now, is suppose to be brilliant.
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2005 07:43
I haven't seen the new SW movie yet. I am another who much prefers the original 3 movies to the 2 prequels I've seen so far. I know this one has to be staggeringly sad and am not sure whether I want to see it or not.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2005 01:11
I just learned that The Gathering of the Fellowship 2006 will be held in Toronto, Ontario, Canada from July 1 - July 4.

Goldberry and I attended the premier "Gathering" in December of 2003 and had a very nice time, but I see that several of the tenatively scheduled guests are the same. Also, I had hoped that they would hold in in the West (there were talks of Denver, Colorado, USA) so I wouldn't have to travel so far and have to deal with the bother of going through customs, etc.

While I'm not interested in attending another Peter Jackson film marathon--we did that in 2003--I am intested in seeing the stage production of LOTR. The Gathering Banquet and especially Mithrandir's Celebration Picnic are very appealing as well.

What do you all think of this?

P.S. Goldberry and I enjoyed SW:ROT very much, and thought it much better than the last two films. If you have any interest at all in Star Wars, I recommend seeing it.
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: May 22, 2005 03:04
I agree Old_Tom. It's a sad story, but then I think that was pretty much a given. Yeah, GL mickeyed with some of the stuff said in RoTJ, but overall RoTS is an awesome film, not just in sfx, but in the tone of it, the way the people interact and how stuff comes together.
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2005 04:06
Saw ROTS Saturday morning and thought it was a very good movie, several "fun" little things that tied it to Episode IV. I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet.

I recently got notification fro Indianapolis Science Museum that tickets for the LOTR exhibit go on sale in July. For those interested, this is the last stop for the exhibit.

SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: May 22, 2005 04:14
I'm sorry to hear that the Gathering is going to be in Toronto again. I was hoping it would be nearer to California this time around. I hope they include this site in the next Gathering -- they ignored us last time, despite our site being as large if not larger than many of the ones they included. I've sent a few emails already, but no reply.

Oh wait...I'm not over forty. *runs away*
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: May 23, 2005 03:05
Don't run away, Rivka! Like we'd complain about you piping in! Yeah, one of my SW friends is going in July to Indy to see the collection. Hopefully, she'll be able to get plenty of pics, then I can bug her to share and I'll share here.

As for the Gathering, Toronto is just *too* far away. *sigh* I can't go to Dragon Con this year (again) because I went to Indy for Celebration 3. Decisions, decisions. Ah well...
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: May 23, 2005 07:57
Why do you Americans complain about the Gathering being in Canada - us Europeans have to cross the Atlantic to get there, not to mention the Australians and New Zealanders... Far or not, I bet you'll get there much cheaper than us too.

But, I'll be there this time, if I'm alive and kicking next year.
VendeaErunyauve
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2005 09:11
From now on the new rule should be: ALL GATHERINGS that are REMOTELY LOTR RELATED -- MUST be in TENNESSEE!
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: May 23, 2005 10:21
Why do you Americans complain about the Gathering being in Canada - us Europeans have to cross the Atlantic to get there, not to mention the Australians and New Zealanders... Far or not, I bet you'll get there much cheaper than us too.

It's because we Americans think we're the center of the universe Just kidding, just kidding! Well, only partially kidding.

I may be very tempted to go to the Gathering; I just wish it was any place other than Toronto. I've been there several times, and it's not exactly a world of wonder for me. I'd much rather visit a place I've never been. Still, it should be fun.
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2005 05:17
Viggo in a kilt? WHERE????? Did I misss it again??!!

I went to the Georgia Renaissance Festival this past weekend and saw a brown leather kilt that would look soooo very nice on Viggo, Sindarinelvish. I guess I should've bought it for him so I could see him in it. :drool:
I did see Treebeard (or maybe his cousin) at the Festival.

I like the idea of the Gathering being in Tennessee, VendeaEruyauve! Closer is better. I will try to save my money and time to be able to go to Toronto. I have grandchildren in the Netherlands that need to be visited. That visiting is a bit expensive and very necessary. I must see them in the summer, because that's when school is out...for me...YEA!!!

Only 2 1/2 days of school left!!! Hopefully I can get all the paperwork done and maintain order while dismantling and packing up the contents of my classroom. (Keep me in your prayers)

Hope you all have pleasant evenings and productive days head!!

MT
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email