Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part III
on: June 02, 2005 05:30
Live theatre is really worth it. When I go to the movies, I usually want just to get entertained; on stage, even more serious themes don't feel a bit boring.

Before we had children, and still sometimes when the kids were small and the grandparents could take them for a weekend, my hubby and I used to arrange trips to some other town to see an interesting play, and to have some "us" time after the show. Then, there was a break for a few years; now, the kids fortunately have grown so much that we can take them with us, or already leave the eldest alone at home. Though, lately the trips we've made have mostly been for live concerts.

Happy Anniversary, MinasTirithMS, and enjoy your trip!
morwenna
News Admin and Taste Tester for LHH
Send Message
on: June 02, 2005 07:06
Happy Anniversary MinasTirithMS, enjoy Paris, if you like art there's a wonderful Impressionist gallery there.

Hope you feel better soon Rose, I know what you mean about the weather here, first two day of June = rain, long hot summer = one good day when it's really hot but unfortunately you're at work, or stuck on a train

In my younger days, when I had more time, I loved amateur drama. Performing panto is the best, especially when the kids really believe in it. I used to go see loads of live theatre (both amateur and professional) and to see TV shows being recorded. For some reason I've not seen much live theatre recently but have to admit I prefer it to the the movies.

MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2005 04:37
Thanks so much for the anniversary wishes!! Hubby and I had a great time, just going to the beach. It's one of my favorite places in the world!! Things are still in disorder, due to hurricane Ivan, but one can still get to the beach and enjoy the lovely white sand (which is being re-duned), the roaring surf (think I saw horses heads in the foam) the salty air and the cry of the gulls (as the tourists feed them old bread and potato chips).
I also enjoy live theatre, especially local group productions. Live is good. My son's band will be playing live in a city nearby. I'm very excited to hear him live, as it's been about a year since he's done so, due to loss of a drummer and other conflicts.
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2005 09:22
Hi,
Haven't been online in over a week. Haven't checked Forum in about two weeks. Feeling severely deprived of online time and thinking very slowly.

All I really wanted was to say "HI".

Brandywine
delerithoflorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2005 05:47
Was sorting through some clutter today and came across a little book with BE HAPPY quotes. I don`t have the names of the authors of the quotes but I thought I would share some of them with you.

Happiness does not come from what you have but what you are.

For every minute you`re angry, you lose sixty seconds of happiness.

Happiness is in the heart not the circumstances.

Happiness is like the common cold it`s catching!

The place to be happy is here, the time to be happy is now, the way to be happy is to make others so.

To love others makes us happy; to love ourselves makes us lonely.

If ignorance was bliss, we`d all be a lot happier.

Happiness is something that comes into our lives through doors we don`t remember leaving open.

These certainly brought a smile to my face.

Loads of happiness to you all

Delerith
Even the smallest person can change the course of history.
MelianAnoriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2005 10:37
Hi all !
Just wanted to say hello to every one of the FOF. Also, there is a LOTR event going on in Houston ? Anyone going ? I so wish that someone would have an event in Western Massachusetts ! All I can hope for is the Renassance Fair in Woodstock,CT. It seems so far away and is always blazing hot! My nephew just went to one in Atlanta . He said he had a wonderful time... went as a Monty Python character.
There is a big storm brewing. Tornado watch in effect. Enjoy the day and those to follow ! Be Happy and celebrate life. You will have no regrets in what you do for others. :wave:
pyewacket
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2005 01:22
Hi there folks~~funny I did a similar type thing over at the Official LOTR fan club--it's sometimes intimidating to be "rubbing" elbows with LOTR fans, who not only seem to know the books inside out, but to be in their "tweens"---I guess I certainly classify as over 40--I'll be reaching the half century mark this Novemeber *gulp*
delerithoflorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2005 01:40
Greetings pyewacket :wave:

You`ll have a great time on CoE and I`me sure you will enjoy the discussions on FoF.

You won`t feel intimidated on CoE everyone is so nice and helpful here.

Delerith
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2005 05:04
Aiya ar máravë, Pyewacket! :blush: (Please excuse my Elvish grammar. I have no clue whether or not that's correct grammatically, but since I'm intending to start studying Queyna this summer, I figured "What the heck?")

Us, intimidating? Nah, we're just a bunch of Tolkien lovers. I personally find it wonderful to learn more about the Professor and his works, and this site, is a good fit for that. There are so many knowledgeable folk here; it's great.

MelianAnoriel, the spousal unit and I are planning to head to Kansas City this fall to the Renaissance Festival there. There is a very small one close to me, and we went last year. While it was fun, it was nothing like K.C.'s. So off we go this September. We also went to one in Council Bluffs, IA a few years back which was a lot of fun too. I feel the time is well spent going, and I always have a great time.

Summer hit hard here in southeast Nebraska today. It was over 90 and my poor hydrangeas drooped and were so sad. The weatherman says it's more of the same for tomorrow. I think I can handle that more than the feet of snow that we sometimes get in the winter. The humidity though...

Here's to all of you FoF! I hope you're all having a wonderful summer so far!

Namárië

Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2005 03:39
pyewacket, I know what you mean about the youngsters. There's a nice mix here of folks of all ages who enjoy at least one thing in common. For myself, I'll be looking at double nickels in a few months but I have never lost interest in Tolkien even though I first got into it in the 70's! It's wonderful to have a place to share his work with so many interesting people.
MelianAnoriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2005 09:46
:cheers: Here ! Here ! Tolkien, yes !
scots56, do you dress for the ren fair ? If so, what is your persona?
LadyAdaneth
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 08, 2005 10:28
Hello everyone! I've not forgotten you all, I've been all over the place in the last few weeks. Turn around and there's a new FoF thread! Greetings to all newbies, may you enjoy yourselves as much as the rest of us. And *curtsies* nice to see Rivka drop in as well.

I've enjoyed catching up. Live ballet/theatre/opera/music - yep, love it all. Not enough opportunities to see stuff where I live, so most of my recent experiences have been when I'm away in Sweden with work. Some consolation for missing the family I suppose.

Last week we were on holiday in Germany. I feel as if I have truly walked through Lothlorien now, having been in the woods near Burg Eltz which is close to the Mosel valley. Burg Eltz itself could have modelled for a Gondorian fortress, being an intact castle, started in the 14th C, on a big rock right in the middle of the woods. Absolutely stunning! Any of you folks wanting to experience Middle Earth, take the plane to Cologne, hop in a car and drive up the Anduin. Sorry I mean Rhine... I had been to Germany before but a long time ago, and I'd forgotten how lovely some of it is. Quaint towns, beautiful forests, romantic castles, and oh yes, the wines down the Rhine and Mosel, what more could you ask?

To crown all, I met an old CoE friend, Nimloth, whom some of you may know. Sadly we had a very short visit as her child wasn't well, but I can say she was definitely as nice and interesting in person as her internet presence had suggested. CoE strikes again in bringing people together across the world

Oh yes - NenyaGold - note the name of this town - Eltville on the Rhine. Most stunning rose garden I have ever seen, in a part-ruined old mediaeval fort. You'd have loved it! Sadly had second best camera so no good pics worse luck but the heavenly scent will live in my memory for a long, long time.

Bye for now, happy hols to those lucky teachers on their extended break, enjoy!
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: June 08, 2005 05:08
Lady A ~ Oh, your descriptions of your vacation remind me of 1975 when I took a cruise down the Rhine. Three of the most wonderful days ever! A (toll) castle every few feet it seemed. How I wish I had a good camera back then. My snapshots really can't begin to do it justice!

If you manage to get to Cologne, a stop at the Cathedral is a must. It had been a very cloudy day but we went in anyway and as we walked into the middle (with our heads covered as was required in those days...) the sun came out and all of the wondrous stained glass windows lit up as though someone had turned on spotlights behind each one. I still get chills from the memory.

The Rose garden and Lothlórien sound spectacular! I so want to return to Germany since it is a lot of my heritage.

BUT, the best part of your post is that you met Nimloth!!! I am sooooo very jealous!!! If none of you know, Nimloth is one of THE BEST Tolkien related writers I have every had the pleasure to read. She has several stories here on CoE in the Fanfiction section. A MUST read is her story about Legolas and Gimli after Aragorn has passed on and when they sail to Aman. If you are a sap like me, grab a box of tissue first! The stories are like Tolkien had written them, they are so good!

Thank you for the report, Lady A! It sounds like you had a grand time!
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2005 07:41
Hey dol! merry dol!

It's nice to hear from some of our friends who've been away for awhile. :wave:

Old Tom and Goldberry will be venturing off the Ardenwood Celtic Festival in Fremont, CA (near Oakland) this coming weekend. We've never been to a Celtic Festival but anticipate there being song and dance and good food.

We also have our eyes on attending our favorite Heart of the Forest Renaissance Faire in Novato, CA (in Marin County north of San Francisco). We missed it last year but definitely want to make it this year.

Strange weather in Northern California this year. Just as it looked like we were finally going to kick into our long, hot summer it suddenly turned cooler. Today we even had rain. Not that I mind. I personally prefer cooler weather.

I hope you are all well, and that all you teachers enjoy your long break from the kiddie-winkies.
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: June 08, 2005 08:32
Tom, my Mom and I attend the Heart of the Forest Renaissance Faire too! It is so much like the original way back in '68... We'll be going opening weekend as usual. Saturday, July 9th. Maybe we'll see you there?

And yes, the weather has been strange today. I left the south bay in sunshine at 10:00 am and reached San Francisco at 11:00 in rain! It rained all the way home and is raining now... What happened to our warm, sunny June??? But like you, I'm really not complaining. It's just very unusual.

[Edited on 9/24/2005 by NenyaGold]
Nimloth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2005 06:49
*Blushing left, right and centre* thanks for the praise, Nenya :blush: !

Just thought I'd drop in again after what seems (and probably is) months. Hmm... now that I've met two of my four bestest CoE friends "live", you're next on my list, I guess! I agree with you, cities are not my thing but nature is, so how about a trip round Yosemite together? *sigh* keep dreaming... but who knows, it may still happen.

LadyA, thanks for the Venice info. 'fraid music will not feature in my feature - rather a touch of Shaolin... huh?! Well, I hope you know what I mean, even if nobody else here will .

Glad to see this thread is still going strong. Keep on another year and a bit, and I will actually officially qualify !
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2005 04:07
Tom, my Mom and I attend the Heart of the Forest Renaissance Faire too! It is so much like the original way back in '68... We'll be going opening weekend as usual. Saturday, July 9th. Maybe we'll see you there?
I don't know that we'll be there for opening weekend, Nenya. The Dunsmuir House Scottish Games in Oakland are that weekend.

We very much enjoyed the Ardenwood Celtic Festival today.
faramirgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2005 09:07
Hi there folks~~funny I did a similar type thing over at the Official LOTR fan club--it's sometimes intimidating to be "rubbing" elbows with LOTR fans, who not only seem to know the books inside out, but to be in their "tweens"---I guess I certainly classify as over 40--I'll be reaching the half century mark this Novemeber *gulp*
Hello there sweetie it is so good to see you here. I really hope that you like here, it is always nice to see a friendly face that you know. Welcome my friend to the board.
faramirgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2005 09:24
Since the topic is in my class is hate, this song comes to mind, It was written by Bob Dylan.

How many roads must a man walk down,
before you call him a man?
How many seas must a white dove fly,
before she sleeps in the sand?
And how many times must a cannon ball fly,
before they're forever banned?

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind,
the answer is blowing in the wind.

How many years can a mountain exist,
before it is washed to the sea?
How many years can some people exist,
before they're allowed to be free?
And how many times can a man turn his head,
and pretend that he just doesn't see?

How many times must a man look up,
before he sees the sky?
And how many ears must one man have,
before he can hear people cry ?
And how many deaths will it take till we know,
that too many people have died?

And for this class we were told to watch the "Laramie Project" and here is some of my views on the show.

Hello I hope to fine everyone in a good way. I have not been doing much lately. Going to work and doing my homework. We had to watch the "Laramie Project" it turned out to be the story of the "Matthew Shepard" killing. That is the young men that was killed for being gay. It was a very sad and I just had tears rolling down my eyes in so many parts of the story. No one deserves to beat like that, I do not care what they are or what they are not. Now if I could have jumped into the TV I would have in some of the interviews, I would have just hit some of those people over the head. A preacher, now he is a men of God right. He had this to say, "As Matthew was tied to that fence, and before he lost conscience I pray that he had time to reflect on his lifestyle." I just wonder if he would have told that to a convicted killer when he is being put to death for his crimes? And then at Matthew's funeral a men by the name of Phip's come with others and had banner's with the devil and fire. And he was calling Matthew's murder not a murder because he was gay and going to hell. And that Russell Henderson and Eric Mckinney (they are the ones that killed Matthew) was doing the world a favor by ridding it of the gays. I know that everyone has the freedom of speech, but it did not have to be done at the funeral. The killers both got two live sentences, but Russell was up for death roll. His lawyers went to the Shepard family and begged for his life. At the sentences phase Mr. Shepard give this statement, "I believe in the death penalty, and I would like nothing better then to see you put to death, but I will grant you life. So Mr. Henderson when you are in your cell and celebrated your birthday, Fourth of July, Christmas remember the one who is not. And you can think of Matthew everyday that you live." That is not all that he said but I thought that he had a lot of guts to grant someone life when he wanted nothing but to see the killers dead. I guess that I am just a big baby I cried through most of the show.

No one deserves that kind of betting for anything. If the hate crime laws was blessed back then, then they may have gotten worse the two lifes sentences.

Mods if this is not a good post or you do not think that it should here just delect it. I do not want to ofend anyone.

[Edited on 13/6/2005 by faramirgirl]
LadyAdaneth
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 15, 2005 10:45
Ouch, faramirgirl, you get some serious topics in your class.... Tough going.

Well I've been reading proposals to visit various Ren faires with some envy. However, I have a sporting chance of dropping in on the Tolkien Society "Tolkien 2005" event in Birmingham UK in August, and there is an English Heritage Festival of History not so far away on the same weekend so I may yet get a bit of a treat there. Went to the Festival of History last year with the children and it was excellent. Visitors don't dress up, however, which would make it even more fun! Never mind.

I was glad to see Nimloth drop in. Hey, we'll let you play in our Forum any time Glad you liked the music information on Venice, I had fun digging it out. For me, I can almost hear a "sound-track" to any period in history, and conversely if I hear music I like to picture where/when it has come from. That's why I enjoy the "Early Music" field so much. Interestingly, even before the PJ films came along, I used to hear a sort of sound-track to the books when I read them. I think there is so much music mentioned in the books, it seemed natural. Nothing I could write down, you understand, it's a bit difficult to describe. When I was small, I used to have vivid dreams of the "Hobbit" dwarves playing their instruments in Bilbo's front room...
I know, a bit weird. Yep, I fit right in here!
newsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2005 08:04
Yeech, fans over forty? What am I doing here?! I'm not even half that age!
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: June 16, 2005 04:27
Not certain why posted in this thread then. :dizzy: We aren't exclusive if folks younger want to post, but if it doesn't interest you, there are plenty of other threads that might.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2005 01:17

Doesn't know what she's missing, now does she?? lol I for one wouldn't go back. Too much fun at this age and it just keeps getting better!!

:disco: Yay Me! My sister is getting tickets for Howard Shore and the LotR symphony when it comes to Denver next May. I will be in attendance with all those in my family that are serious LotR fanatics. It is catching, you know. I come from a very large family and almost all of us have it to some degree or another. Of course, as I am youngest, it just got more and more serious. Hence, I'm the most fanatic of us all..and proud of it! (although my sisters come in a close 2nd, 3rd, and 4th).
hobbitnamedeliza
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2005 04:17
Newsgirl is new...maybe she "stumbled in"!

She made me laugh, though!
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2005 04:54
Hi everyone!!!! :wave: Thought I would poke my head in and see what's going on.

I agree with you scots 56. I won't go back either. I also agree with having to much fun at my age. I have no one to look after but myself. My dad just recently moved back to B.C. to live out his golden years (he just turned 84). I'm going to miss him but there is a phone I can use. I also had a laugh at newsgirl when she said Yeech, fans over forty? Wait til she turns forty then she won't be saying it. :rolling:

I would like to announce that I have read 1/2 way through The Sil, and proud of it. I found it the hardest book to read but once you start realizing that it is a reference book then its easy. I am now breezing through it and would like to thank Lothien_vilya getting me to read it. I am now using it in reference to creating my character for a RP that I'm involved with.

As for weather, we just missed a big system that could have drop 3 inches of rain in our area. I guess Calgary Alberta got the worst of it. It was reported on a weather channel that they were to get 4 inches of rain. Talk about putting a boat in your basement if it floods. I have family in that area and I hope they have their duckie boots on.

Well I should go and do some computer work and stop jabbering.

Everyone have a good weekend.

[Edited on 18/6/2005 by balrog]
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2005 07:47
You will be. :naughty:
delerithoflorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2005 06:20
Just want to wish everyone a happy midsummer solstice. The longest day of the year is here and it is a lovely one too. The sun is shining and there is a nice breeze with it. Temperature is around 20`C.

Hope everyone is well

Delerith
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2005 10:34
Wow! a third thread, and already 4 pages into it! Hail fortiers!
I been away assessing the damages to another community that was on EZ board and suffered a major crash.

So how is everyone here?
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2005 11:33
I been away assessing the damages to another community that was on EZ board and suffered a major crash.

Pardon my ignorance...what is this? Doesn't sound good whatever it is.

It's HOT, HOT, HOT here in Nebraska! My thermometer that's in the shade says it's over 90 degrees. Ick! Bless the hard-working air conditioning.

I've been tearing apart my hideous kitchen and prepping it to paint. I've been whining about it for two years, so it's about time I did something about it. Hopefully it will turn out well. That takes up my time, plus I'm anxiously awaiting my son's arrival for his vacation with 'ol Mom and Dad. He actually WANTED to come home and spend time with us. Life never ceases to amaze!

I'm also looking forward to the new Harry Potter book coming out in July. Too much fun. I'm also a huge HP fan as well. Although no one can take the place of The Professor in my heart. :love::love::love:

Hope this finds all of the FoF-ers in good summer spirits!
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2005 01:39
Hi everyone.

quote:I been away assessing the damages to another community that was on EZ board and suffered a major crash.

I also want to hear what this is about too, scots 56.

I also did some tearing apart scots56. I ripped apart bedroom yesterday. I took down all my LOTR posters and put them back up in a different order because I had to put 2 new ones up. Didn't realize I had sooo many. I had to sacrifice my HP vinyl poster and put it into my roommates room. She liked it. But my bedroom looks better. I also got a 32" x 36" b&w of Middle Earth up on my wall. I would like to thank a good friend for it. I know have a LOTR shrine in my bedroom. It's amazing how many dust bunnies you get under your bed.

The weather here today is muggy. The humidity is so high that you don't want to do anything. At 4p.m. central time it was 86F with a humidex of 93F. (30C with 34C humidex - to all you people who are in Celsius.) But first thing this morning we had a very good thunderstorm with sheet lightning and did it pour. We are now suffering with the moisture from the storm.

Well, hope everyone has a great day and talk to all of you later.
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: June 24, 2005 12:38
We're celebrating Midsummer this weekend, and I've got a day off today... Fortunately, the weather is rather nice; at least at the moment the sun is still shining, although the forecast promised changeable weather, and the temperature is in the mid-twenties Celsius. It's great that the whole week has been nice also in the respect that, my younger daughter is at a camp until tomorrow.

Just a week until my vacation begins - but, that week will be full of work... :dizzy:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2005 09:27
Hello all! I am glad to have my over 40 self here. I must echo that I wouldn't go back to my 20's. What was I thinking??? I'm having much more fun now and plan to continue along those lines.
I've recently returned from visiting my son and his family in the Netherlands. While there, we spent several days in Paris, a live-long dream of mine. I had a ball!! I have come to learn that my spirit is European, in the way that I don't get "serious" about my day until 9 am, evening meals should be the best of the day, wine is a good thing (in moderation) and nights are for enjoying fine entertainment. Where I come from, the streets are rolled up at 8:30, and by then, my husband has been iasleep for 2 hours (he wakes up at 3 am each workday)

I thoroughly enjoyed time spent with my grandchildren. Let me tell you, seeing the Louvre accompanied by a 4 year old is quite an experience. The younger one (18 months) was very entertaining as well. While the adults were oohing and aahing over the arc do truimph, fountains, buildings and Eiffel tower, little Sam was chasing pigeons and finding the perfect pebble. Wonder what he would've done if he had caught one of those pigeons?
I am hoping that time will soon slow down and I can enjoy some lazy days. Summer is flying by. I am impressed with those of you who are fixing up your place. Can't motivate myself to do those kinds of things at this point.

Hope each of you has a wonderful weekend ahead.
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2005 12:14
I have to be honest, there is an odd time, I wish I could go back, but mostly, I am glad I am not young now. Far too many pressures. Although if you are from that age and are used to it, I don't suppose it bothers you the same as it does when you get older.

Unfortunately, things don't stand still. Ahem, unlike this thread. Being a TRUCKer, I will just scoot it back up to the top of the page. Wheeeeeee!!!

Hope everyone is in the pink and enjoying whatever sunshine is sent their way.

Take care :hug:
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: June 28, 2005 03:06
Other than the aches and pains, I wouldn't want to go back either. Heh... Most of those are from foolish things I did in my youth, but hey, at least I have lived fully. Sure, there are things I wish I had done that I didn't as well, but living with regret isn't healthy... for omissions and commissions. I think it's awesome that people from all age groups and all over the world have been affected by Tolkien and his works. That speaks to his ability to weave a world that calls to humans, regardless of their background.
delerithoflorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2005 01:35
Tolkien was a master weaver of storytelling. He definitely created a world that all humankind could relate to. He encouraged us to look at the world around us and see the beauty that we so often miss. Through his stories he encouraged us to look at life and see the value of it.

In his writings Tolkien can make you see that even though a lot of bad things do happen there is always hope.

I am so glad that I have dicovered the wonderful world of Middleearth because I have learned so much of value from it.

12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email