<< First1415161718
Author Topic:
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part III
on: October 08, 2005 07:17
Hello, Miththoliel ! :wave:

Ahoy, Swabby and all the fair folk of the good ship FOF!

Tonight Old Tom and the River-daughter will be feasting in Imladris and singing songs in the Halls of Fire. What a merry time we'll have!

(And Gandalf said I wouldn't come if they invited me! )

I have to amend what I posted the other day about dressing as "twinsies". My pretty lady and I purchased identical t-shirts at ORC last January in Pasadena. It's black and features pictures of Gimli and the four Hobbit lads. We shall wear them today for our journey to Imladris by way of the Little Hill.

(We're attending my brother and sister-in-law's house warming in El Cerrito, Spanish for "Little Hill", prior to going to the Rivendell Feast.)

At the feast I shall wear the costume I wore last Saturday at the Hobbit Picnic in San Francisco. Goldberry has decided to wear her green gown and grey cloak. I'll post links to images from the event when and if I am able.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2005 11:29
It sounds like ol' Tom is going someplace cool without us. Hey Tom! We wanna go too!

Well I found the poet and made him write A few more verses, but somebody must have put something unpalatable in his Post Toasties this morning because he's in some kind of terrible funk. Read this at your own risk.

I lived upon this Earth for years and ever held my place
I witnessed lovers in that field locked in sweet embrace
How gently did they speak while breezes combed their hair
The sun was in the sky and shone upon them there
Though happiness I loved to see, the days of death did come
and lay upon my frozen feet while clouds blocked out the sun
I leaned upon A friendly stone who held me as I cried
Brother, oh my brother dear, will I too someday die?
swabby

awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: October 08, 2005 02:32
Swabby, that is beautiful. I wish I could get in a funk if it would help write poems like that one. I still don't know who it is but I have an idea but will wait for more clues
Yes Tom that sounds like such fun :sob: and we can't go with you.
Well, enjoy yourself you and your lady.
SE I am going to try your chicken chili recipe it makes my mouth water :drool: MTMS could you send me the weight watcher's version?
Have a good night everyone.
Awelyn 418
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2005 04:21
:disco: The Reniassance Faire was lovely! The spousal unit and I had a lovely time. There were so many people dressed up in character. We even saw one elf. I had actually expected to see more of Tolkien's characters, but alas, it was not to be. I got some pictures and hope to have my laptop back soon so I can download them. I would love to be able to spend my weekends like that although I think I would definately lean more to the Tolkien aspect of things. I wish RL didn't interfere so much with what is truly important in the world. :banghead:

The dear spousal unit bought be a beautiful silver and amber ring. He said it reminded him of something that the elves might had made. It does, so it resides upon my hand now and forever. Bless that man! I should marry him and make an honest man of him. Oh, yeah, right! I did do that...almost 26 years ago now. Time flies when you're having fun.

Well, it was a very long day and the Land of Nod calls. Sleep well all, and have a wonderful tomorrow.

Old Tom, I agree. It's not fair that you get to go to all these cool places without us. Boy, it stinks living here on the PoG.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2005 03:31
A little more of my poem.

No not I shall ever die, but turn to shifting sand
your fate I fear is not so clear for one to understand
A man may come and hew you down and burn you in his fire
or make you into milking stools, such things he may desire
or turn you into paper and bind you up with thread
if one of these, you become, then you shall not be dead

I saw the rabbit's misty ghost rise up through my hands
then I knew our toil and strife ne'er ended in this land
I saw up there the curtain lift and the rabbit entered in
another journey he would take, and so began again
I saw upon my frozen feet the lifeless body still
not so grievous was I now, I knew the master's will

I'm sure anyone who has been reading this knows that it is A tree, but you may still be in for A surprize.

My buddy is supposed to be coming today to finish watching the movies. We will resume watching at the destruction of Isengard and then go right on through to the end of ROTK. This might be my 50th viewing, but I don't care. I love it! swabby

Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2005 03:48
I kind of guessed it was a tree, swabby, but your poetry is so lovely I wanted to read more. A *surprise* yet!! Carry on Cap'n.

Scots56: Sounds as though you had a grand time. And I agree about RL.

Old Tom: You are a lucky son-of-a-gun, with all your outings.

October continues to become colder
As days go by and the year grows older.

Hallowe'en, then on to November,
Rooms aglow with firelight ember.

Old Father Time waits in the wings.
Soon we'll hear Christmas Carollers sing.

Have a good Sunday everyone. :love:
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2005 07:47
Congratulations, ROSE, you just posted the 600th post.
:disco: :cheers: :disco: :love:
WE DID IT, WE DID IT. THIS IS THE THIRD SET OF 600 WE HAVE DONE. :disco: :disco:

We should give ourselves a pat on the back.

(pat, pat)

We I should go and make my biscuits and impossible pumpkin pies. It's Thanksgiving here in Canada tomorrow. So we'll talk later.

[Edited on 9/10/2005 by balrog]
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2005 09:02
Old Tom, you are most fortunate to be able to mix and mingle with fellow middle-earthers. We wants to go too, yes we does, precious.
I've got Ren Faire Fever, scotts. I may have to travel to the northern part of the state to find "healing." I, like you, wish there were more LOTR in the faires, but I will enjoy the swords, chain mail, leather , swordplay and jousting.:love:
I thought you were referring to a tree, swabby, or maybe one like them...need more to go on. The poems are lovely and quite elvish in feel. Enjoy your 50th or so viewing. I'm trying to "save myself" for seeing ROTK on the IMAX at the exhibit in Indianapolis next month. WOW!!!
Love your poem as well, Rose. You have a way with words.
Happy Thanksgiving, balrog!!
I am thankful for all my friends here at FoF and the good times we share. You all are a blessing to me!

MT
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: October 09, 2005 09:13
So, now that we're over 600 posts again, is it time for FoF 4? :cheers:

I spent a lovely and exciting day at a horse show with my older daughter today. (Neither of us was competing, just watching.) Riding is probably one of the very few sports in which many of the top contestants are actually middle aged!

Swabby, loved the poem about the tree. :heart:

Scots, seems that you ended up with just the right man 26 years ago! :love:
Lhûnelleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2005 09:28
I can't remember the last time I posted here. It must be a year anyway .... I've had fun tonight reading through everyones posts .... I forget there are people out there, my age, who share my passion ... so it's a pleasure to be back.

I've been incredibly busy working and, lately starting a web design course. I now have my own website, with little bits of "Middle Earth" related material here and there. I've just finished a few genealogical tables.... but the sites very amateurish, hence the reason for going back to college and embarking on the design course.

I'm hopelessly out of my depth, in a sea of teenagers, who look at me as if I've grown an extra head. .... what's a woman in her forties doing on a computer course???

However, I am undeterred and will plough on .... I've just finished two short biographies of Oscar Wilde and Emerson for my site .... and enjoyed every minute of it ....both quite remarkable men, very different, but inspirational ....

the Autumn season is already upon us again and I'm grateful for that .... my heart is always the happier when we head towards winter .... my favourite season.

When I get spare moments, I'm making my way through the Silmarillion again .... I always seem to be reading this book in the Autumn .... I've no idea why .... it always just feels very appropriate .... it's becoming a seasonal tradition ....

I'm delighted to note how many of you have been posting about your affection for Aragorn .... who has had my heart for many a year now .... it's nice to be able to make that statement without some family members eyes rolling and the words .... "oh for goodness sake" being uttered.

I truly believe that having an active imagination keeps you young so I won't apologise for it .... it should be celebrated .... how dismal life would be without imagination?

So fellow enthusiasts, I'll bid you farewell .... and I must find the time to post a little more often .... it's been too long.

Be at peace .... Lhûnelleth
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2005 09:53
Mae govannen, Tom B and to all! This is definitely the best group of Tolkien lovers :love:

It is wondeful and so interesting to hear of your & Golberry's adventures, Tom...sounds so fun and exciting! And an added plus that you can enjoy those adventures together.

MT, sounds like lots of fun going to the exhibit in Indianapolis. I looked at the map to see how far away it was from here and unfortunately it was over 6 hours I'm so very impressed and a bit envious, lol, of your sword collection. Seriously, though, it is inspiring me to get on the ball and start one!

Welcome, Lhunelleth! I know what you mean about others rolling their eyes when talking about Tolkien related stuff (Aragorn :heart: ). But you can definitely feel free to share and rant about it here. And not feel you're in the midst of a sea of teens!

Swabby, I absolutely love your poetry and especially the last one. I also write on ocassion...tend to write more intense stuff when I am in a "funk" so to speak. But I've found the poetry is a good release. I'll share this one I wrote a couple weeks ago and had posted in my realm - it kind of reminds me of Sam & Frodo in Mordor, although that was not the original intent.

Death Awaits

Far above a shining star
glimmers in the night

Hopes and dreams from afar
fade slowly out of sight.

Elusive now the hope
once held so dear.

Lonely days envelop
a solitary tear.

Faded time to pass
until dreams shall soar.

Upon the sea of silver glass
along the distant shore.

Na-den pedim ad,
Susie
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: October 09, 2005 10:56
.Hello,
Lhunelleth nice to meet you. I felt such joy finding people my own age to share my love of all things Tolkien when I stumbled on COE this August. Hi Morwinyoniel I love horse shows. I use to ride for fun years ago. Rose I loved your poem. It was as soothing as a cup of hot cider.MTMS I to am thankful for all my friend here at FOF.Balrog aren't we just great but we are one of the best places to go on COE..
Miththoliel your poem reminds me of Frodo and Sam at Mordor but also Boromir's death or the death of Aragorn and Arwen left behind.
Have a great day.
Awelyn 418
MelianAnoriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2005 11:44
Mae Govannen to all,
I've been a bit busy and have found that FoF has added many pages since I ventured in last.
Ol' Tom , you and Goldberry looked wonderful as usual.
I've just returned from a Ren Faire. The elves didin't show up 'til we were leaving.Apparently there are not many Tolkien Folks up Massachusetts way, Sooo, I've been working at getting a Middle Earth group together....just not in Boston. Western Mass is my idea of a better place. It's going to be a lot of work. I hope to be working with the Connecticut Renn Faire folks to have an appointed place..a pavillion of sorts for Tolkien fans . We shall see.
It has been great reading the tales and the recipes.... we have alot to share.
Got to run..... blessings !
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: October 09, 2005 02:32
Since we've reached the magic number of 600 posts, I've started a new FoF thread for ease of wading... You can find the FOF IV here. :love:

I suspect a mod (Belle? :heart: ) will close this one soon. See you over there --------------------->
<< First1415161718
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email