Register

<< First1415161718
Author Topic:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part III
on: October 04, 2005 02:44
(I have to warn ya though, certain ones fancy themselves as sword swinging shieldmaidens, and they've got REAL swords) Don't say anything bad about Rangers. And don't say anything bad about Viggo, oh, and don't say anything bad about kilts. Well, perhaps it's better if you don't speak at all. HA! swabby

You know some of us maybe a bit too well, swabby. We may have to make you walk the plank or eat the weevily bread. (Weevils wobble but they don't fall down!)

Welcome Miththoliel! Make yourself at home. It's kinda like a big, diverse, at times dysfunctional but fun family around here. Stick around and find out for yourself. You'll be entertained at the very least.

MT, the Warrior, Aradorer and kilt fancier
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: October 04, 2005 02:52
Hi Miththoliel,
I to have just been coming here since August. It is a wonderful thread. The folks here really do love Tolkien. We talk about everything. We talk about music, poems, drawings , recipes,LOTR trivia. We talk about our love of Autumn time and why we love Tolkien so much. So, we have different themes but we have fun. So welcome and join us.
Awelyn 418 :heart:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2005 03:43
Wecome, Miththoliel.

I've been here on CoE for about 2 years. It was so nice to find people of an age that shared the same passion for Tolkien that I had. I didn't think there were any of us out there but I was sooo wrong. Thank goodness.

Again, welcome.
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2005 04:20
Mae Govannen, Miththoliel! We can be quite silly, but I think we have all hinted that we lead such "serious" real lives that we must be silly somewhere!

Speaking of which......

"The lesser of two weavils......"

I love that line and the movie. Actually, I'm a fan of the Aubry and Mauterine books....have read four (not in order) and I will end up picking up another for winter reading. I was a big fan of the Horatio Hornblower books in high school (always wanted to be the captain of a ship of the line, a nice, tidy frigate). Did a bit of studying so I could tell a topgallant from a mainsail.

I also loved Captain Blood. Book not the movie; Erroll Flynn isn't my idea of a true swash-buckler----there's a movie that is crying remake! Did I hear the wind whisper Viggo?

How ever did I get off on this tangent?

I heard on the news tonight that THEY are predicting natural gas prices to jump 60% for winter heating. That certainly will be hard for most middle class families to incorporate into their budgets. Sounds like Santa's sleigh will mainly be filled with sweaters, longjohns, booties, and blankets! It would be just like Mother Nature to dump lots of snow on the Midwest and Northeast and then have one of those subzero marathons!

Shiverin' in me timbers already! (the predication for tomorrow is 87!).

SE, Sisterhood of the Sword Slinging Teachers
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2005 05:59
Hi Y'all. Just thought I would pop in for a sec and see what's up. I guess I haven't been around for a few days and missed a bunch of stuff.

I definitely will try out the new recipes. I'm a big fan of soup. I love to make it and eat it too. I also love soup in the wintertime. Makes you all cozy and warm inside like a new fuzzy blanket by the fire.

Happy birthday, Belle. :cheers: I'm sorry its late.

Congrats Tom, on winning the trivia.

Miththoliel, I have been on CoE 2 years come this Christmas. I am having a ball on this site. It is wonderful. There are lots of things to enjoy and see. You will be fine. We're a great group of people.

sindarinelvish: I heard somewhere they are making a second movie of Master and Commander.

And speaking of Errol Flynn, my favorite Robin Hood character, is it me or does Orlando Bloom make you think of him? I heard on another site they mentioned that he is another Errol Flynn.

You know some of us maybe a bit too well, swabby. We may have to make you walk the plank or eat the weevily bread. (Weevils wobble but they don't fall down!)

We'll make swabby walk the blank, MT, but we'll make sure he has a soft landing like they did in Down Periscope.

Well I have work to do so I will see you all in the funny papers.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2005 07:00
Hey dol! merry dol! derry dol my darlings! :wave:

Thank you for your congratulations on my success with Hobbit trivia. Like I said, I was the most surprised person in the place when they announced my name as the winner.

Speaking of the picnic, I have a photo to share with you all! :disco:

Old Tom recounts his "Adventures"

That's my sweet Goldberry dressed in green on the left side of the photo. She made the coat, shirt and pants. The sleeves turned out to be a bit too long, but she's going to fix them this week before our Dinner in Rivendell on Saturday. She made her outfit, too.

I really like my new costume. I think it's a big improvement in many ways (comfort, fit, appearance) over the store bought costume pieces I've worn in the past.

I hope you're all having a great week! :wave:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2005 01:39
I just came back from that long walk on A short plank, and now I'm sittin' down to A cup o' joe an' some weevil waffers. MMMM good! (and wiggly) It was such an exhillerating experience that it made me want to tell ye A little story.

Once upon A time, there were two orcs who'd had nothing to eat but moldy bread for three stinkin' days, so They decided to go hunting. They were stalking the giant bucktoothed hullis (which makes some great haggis) when they decided to split up and try to surround their prey. Bugguts thought he saw A hullis hump sticking up over A dumbo bush, so he loosed an arrow that flew straight into that hump. That's when Skewerdrat jumped up, shrieked, and fell to the ground. Bugguts had pierced Skewerdrat right through the gut. Bugguts immediately set about doing what little he knew to help poor Skewerdrat, then flagged down A passing warg-rider who took them to Mordor Medical Center. Bugguts was waiting anxiously outside the emergency room when the doctor finally came out. "How's he doin", Doc, i-i-is he gonna make it?" "His condition is very serious", reported Doctor Givacrap. "His chances of survival would have been much better if you hadn't skinned and gutted him." Have A nice day everyone! swabby
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2005 01:42
Sisterhood of the Sword Slinging Teachers

LOVE that! It brings to mind such visual images. *daydreaming of swords and be-kilted Viggos* Lord, I wonder if anyone who knows Viggo actually reads this thread. He might be afeared for his modesty. *giggle*

Old Tom: I love your pictures. The gathering looked like so much fun. There seemed to be a lot of the longer toothed LotR fans in attendance.

News from the Plains of Gorgoroth: Alas, nothing quite so fun as Old Tom's gathering. The weather has been the most interesting here. It was 92 here yesterday with howling winds. There was a grass fire just north of town really whipped with the wind. Just to let you know..yesterday at 10 p.m. it was over 80 here in southeast Nebraska while it was *snowing* in the panhandle. *Sheesh* Today the forecast is for the upper 50s to low 60s, a 30 degree turnaround. There's been a bit of thunder and showers already this morning. It feels a whole lot better to be outside now.

The spousal unit and I are heading to Kansas City this weekend for the Renaissance Faire. It's the Celtic weekend. Being of almost all Scottish descent (Hence the name. I am SO original), when I saw that I just had to go. The spousal unit is a dear and is more than willing to come along. I hope we can find a hotel room or we may be forced to camp under the roots of some large tree. Did I hear the sound of large black horses in the distance? No Hobbit ponies were these. *shudder*

Another query. I was talking to my partner in crime at school, and we were laughing at my "Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Star Trek" poster that's been hanging in my room for ever so long. Do any of you remember "All I Ever Needed to Know, I Learned in Kindergarten" from Life's Little Instruction Book? It's based on that. I told her that I have been looking for one that was LotR related. She looked at me and said, "You know all these people who are as obsessed with Lord of the Rings as you are, why not ask them and make your own?" Lovely idea. Any ideas as to what could go on it?

My first thought was: 1. Size truly doesn't matter. :evil:

Any other takers?

[Edited on 5/10/2005 by scots56]
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: October 05, 2005 02:14
swabby: That's hysterical! I could just see a couple of Orcs doing something like that. *snerk*

scots56: Hmm... I like yours! LOL.. The potential is positively... incredible. But what to put on it? Hmmm...

balrog: Thanks for the BD wishes. Late's okay.

Ol' Tom: Wow... You're right! That's even better than the first one. Did Goldberry get a new one, too? Hers was quite lovely, but it's always nice and fun to get new outfits.

mitholiel: Welcome! We talk about all sorts of things in here. Some are LoTR related and some are not. Feel free to chime and share some about yourself. This is the third thread for Fans over Forty, though we really don't discriminate against others poking their heads in here. Heh...

[Edited on 10/5/2005 by BelleBayard]
awelyn418
Send Message
on: October 05, 2005 02:57
Swabby your story made me smile.
Scots56 yes , I remember that All I Ever Needed To Know I Learned in Kindergarten. I like your idea.I will have to do some thinking to add to your list. Your weather is really strange. Is it like that in Nebraska at this time of year?
Our temperatures have been back in the 80's this week and were in the 90's last week. It is suppose to cool down today.

Old_Tom_Bombadil,your wife is very talented with a needle.The costumes are just beautiful and they look very comfortable. I have bought costumes that were very uncomfortable and had a awful time at the party or just handing out candy to trick or treaters. Yes, I dress up Halloween even if I am just handing out candy.

Balrog I to am a fan of soup especially in the winter. I love homemade soup. My mom in the winter use to put a pot of soup on the stove and slow cook it all day. The smell would waft through the house making my mouth water I would be so hungry by supper time.
Hi Ya Belle Bayard.
Awelyn 418:heart:
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: October 05, 2005 04:49
Welcome, Miththoliel! This thread has absolutely no particular theme, it's just a meeting place for us mature fans of Tolkien.

Swabby, that was some great black humour...
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2005 04:59
Miththoliel Welcome aboard! we are a motely crew but lovable.

Good story swabby . enjoyed reading it. Such colourful names!

Renaissance Fairs are great. That's where I've bought some of my favourite swords, One of teh armourers was kind enough to give me a little instruction in the use thereof, though he stayed back a fair distance whilst I practiced. Can't imagine why.

Old_Tom It's great that you and Goldberry dress up together. My darling hubby would freak if I suggested such a thing to him. He loves Tolkien and all (tho not as committed as we all are), but he's not into matching bowling jackets and all that. Ah well, he's a sweetheart in so many other ways that I forgive him.. More of a Faramir than an Aragorn, I guess.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
awelyn418
Send Message
on: October 05, 2005 11:18
Scots56 I was talking about how strange your weather is and today we hit 92 degrees and tomorrow the high is suppose to be 64 with the lows in 40's. Now that is strange.
Well, I have to go today is my daughter's birthday and I have to find candles.
Awelyn 418
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2005 02:51
Enjoy your daughter's birthday celebration, awelyn. May the time you spend together create beautiful memories.

Your chicken dish sounds quite yummy and easy, swabby. Maybe this is something I can handle.

I used to feel bad about the kind of grandmother that I am, or rather the kind I am NOT. I am not a sewing grandmother, making clothes or quilts. I am not a cooking/baking grandmother, for reasons that I don't want to go into now.
I have decided to accept myself as I am...a playing/reading grandmother. When we are together (which isn't often enough), we read stories and play. I have a blast and the boys (my grandsons) seem to enjoy themselves also.
I am also a "rocker" grandmother, but I'll have to wait a bit before I introduce them to the likes of Tool, Led Zeppelin (classic rock) or Disturbed.

MT
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2005 06:16
Old Tom: I love your pictures. The gathering looked like so much fun. There seemed to be a lot of the longer toothed LotR fans in attendance.
Yes, Scots, the picnic was great fun. Long of tooth? Nay, matured to a fine age I say. We did have a few younger folk, but mostly adults.

Ol' Tom: Wow... You're right! That's even better than the first one. Did Goldberry get a new one, too? Hers was quite lovely, but it's always nice and fun to get new outfits.
Thank you, Belle. Yes, Goldberry's first go at her costume was a green gown. (That's what she's wearing under the cloak.) Her new outfit is more of a peasant-type outfit with blouse, skirt, and vest.

Old_Tom_Bombadil,your wife is very talented with a needle.The costumes are just beautiful and they look very comfortable. I have bought costumes that were very uncomfortable and had a awful time at the party or just handing out candy to trick or treaters. Yes, I dress up Halloween even if I am just handing out candy.

Thank you, Awelyn, I'll pass along your kind words. I occasionally dress up to pass out treats, too. (I also hang a sign on our door I made that says "Tom Bombadil & Goldberry framed by hand-drawn ivy. Oh, I also go for the barrow-wight theme with our decorations.)

Old_Tom It's great that you and Goldberry dress up together. My darling hubby would freak if I suggested such a thing to him. He loves Tolkien and all (tho not as committed as we all are), but he's not into matching bowling jackets and all that.
Bowling jackets, eh? I think my wife likes to occasionally dress as "twinsies" (as we call it) but usually only when we go to the ballgames and not so much as we used to. In fact, I think it's been about 5 years or so since we've done something like that.

I came up with the Tom & Goldberry concept a little over two years ago and, happily, she liked the idea. Now we have his & hers personalized license plates. Now that's commitment! :love:
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2005 07:01
Hi there. It's me again.

swabby: Love your story. It's amazing how people can come up with jokes like that. *I bow to you*. I can't do that very good. When I hear a joke, I forget it. Must have something to do with the memory.

Old Tom: Your picture of both you and Goldberry are great. It took my breath away when I seen the colors of both costumes. The blue jacket is awesome. The green color (?) is very enlightening. Where you are looks like in belongs in Lothlorien.

Speaking of which: The weather here (Canada) sucks. It has been in the 40's (low) and we now have the furnace on. The leaves are the color of Lothlorien when the Elves left to go to the Grey Havens. At work we have 6 popular trees that are totally yellow except for one that is still green.

MT: I'm not a grandmother yet but when I am I don't know what type I want to be. I can sew, bake, read, crochet, needlepoint, and I could probably teach them how to use a computer. Whatever I choose, I hope I make the right choice. What you do now as a grandmother is fine. So you don't do the things that other grandmother's teach their grandchildren. Even reading and playing to them is great. As long as you have fun, that's the most important part. I wish I had a grandmother or grandfather that read to me. All of my grandparents died before I was 4. So the type you are is great. Don't let it get you down. And nobody should tell you how to raise your grandchildren. Sounds like your having fun with them anyways. My hats off to all grandmothers and grandfathers. I can't wait for the day my children tell me they are making me a grandmother. (Yippee)
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2005 02:18
balrog , funny you should mention Lothlorien. I was thinking how much it all looked like Rivendell. I live near some old, worn down mountains, but there are still a lot of hilly crags, cliffs and big rock cuts on the highways and beautiful waterfalls. Northern Ontario, to be precise. So, I fancy that this might be what Arnor looked like, or perhaps even the outskirts of Rivendell.

It's cold here, too. Only 7 degrees Celsius (ummm - for you non-metric folks that's maybe in the 30's, or 40 at best.) I'm just glad we're not Winnipeg which had several inches of snow yesterday!!! I can hear the wargs howlin' in the distance.

grandmothers I think grandmothers are people who have the time and energy to love their grandkids effusively and unconditionally. That's really all they need. What form the loving takes, whether it's sewing, cookies, Go-karts, LOTR or rollerblading is a matter of personal taste!
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
awelyn418
Send Message
on: October 06, 2005 02:39
Hi ,Balrog,Neenime, MT,Swabby, Old_Tom_Bombadil and any one that is here today.
Speaking as a grandmother of 6 I can tell you the most important part of being a grandmother. You love and treat them with respect.
The first time I held my first grandchild was magical but you know so were the times I held all of them.
I don't sew but I bake, I read to them, I am a story teller so I tell them stories. We play and have fun. They are so happy to see me and I am one of their favorite people as they are mine.. I know as they get older they won't want to be around me like they are now. They will want to be with friends as teenagers do but that's ok. That's what love is all about accepting that person where they are on the journey of life. Wow! that is to deep to early
Well, I'd better be off I have to get ready for work. Have a great day. It is cool here today Scots56 :disco:
Awelyn 418
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2005 03:54
Thank you all so much for the warm welcome :love:
Would have answered sooner but caught the nasty bug hubby brought home Anyhow, it is so great to be able to share and be part of a Tolkien lovers group that are not only out of high school, but similar ages I really do appreciate all your welcomes!

I did not read the books until after seeing the movies as I had stopped reading after needing those nasty glasses to read. But the movies inspired me to read and since then I have read LOTR and The Hobbit 7 times, Silmarillion and UT twice, and am on Volume IV of HOME. So am definitely Tolkien obsessed!

No worry about saying anything bad about rangers, as I am totally obsessed with Aragorn/Viggo!!:heart: He is the perfect man. Hubby & I went to see ROTK with neighbors (a pastor and his wife)...her and I both said how Aragorn was the perfect man...the guys just kind of looked at us...wondering I guess, lol! And wonder why I never got the Aragorn stand-up that was on my Christmas wish-list?

Have 2 grandsons also, 7 & 9. We travel quite a bit for hubby's work,so don't always get to see them often, plus they live in different states. But do enjoy playing video games with them. And actually kept up with the 9 year old swimming this summer for 4 hours straight since I was the only adult that swam. What a marvelous way to keep young!

MT, I think we have lots in common as we're both Viggo obsessed. I love reading and playing (games) and also have a love of Tool (#1) among others like Disturbed, Metallica & many more. Tool was the absolute best in concert...saw Perfect Circle also a few years ago.

I do enjoy creative cooking and baking. Have a love for the outdoors as well and I have played golf for many years, although don't get to go often. Try to swing several times after my exercise. Got to work all those muscles now or we lose them. :rolleyes:

We're currently in Missouri for a few months...has been super hot here...leaves are all still green! Would be great except they closed the pool after Labor Day :cry: So I'm rather missing home which is in NW Ohio along Lake Erie...where it is beautiful weather. Think most of all I miss seeing the gorgeous sunsets on the water. Always think of home when I watch the end of ROTK at the Grey Havens...the sun shining on the water brings back pleasant memories!

Wish you all a wondeful day. I'm off to catch up on this thread...so many posts!
Na den pedim ad,
Susie
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2005 04:06
Autumn may have finally arrived, but I'd better not get too confident of it yet. For the last two or three years the weather has just shifted from summer straight into winter, and skipped Fall altogether. Baaaaah!

"Who am I?"

Once was I so very small and stood beneath my kin,
Winter came with ice and snow and made my blood run thin.
Seasons changed and brought the Spring, with flowers, birds and bees.
How glorious did I appear, adorned with all of these!
Autumn cast its' magic spell and leaves flew on the wind.
No tales of strife were written yet, of dwarves and elves and men.

I'm writing this In the context of "LOTR", and I have more verses, allthough I haven't finished it yet. I will continue posting verses daily untill someone figures out who it is, that is if my FoF friends want to play another one of my games. swabby
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2005 04:21
Ah, so swabby has a serious poetic side , too. I love the feeling of that verse - looking forward to more!

OK, gals. Just how Viggo/Aragorn- obsessed are we? Or is that treading on private territory?

I have Aragorn pictures displayed on a couple of calendars (home and work), a mousepad, in my journal, on my desktop, even a couple on the bedroom door. It's OK, we played fair and hubby has both Arwen and Galadriel. We printed them from a set of disks I got as a gift- you could make your own bookmarks, calendars, invitations, etc. Also made 2 -shirts using transfer paper (so I can wear him next to my heart).

Seriously, he is sort of the archetype of the Good King/ Hero/ Warrior/Lover. John Rys-Davies (sp?) in one of his interviews on the movie web-site commented that he is the sort of noble person that we aspire and hope to be. The fact that he's drop-dead gorgeous whether dripping wet or all cleaned up is just a bonus.

Apologies to the guys - we don't love or admire you less. We just like to dream and gaze (much as men do in shorts and halter weather). Maybe we recognize your "Inner Aragorn"?
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2005 05:43
I see no problem with men or women who go ga-ga over someone who they'll likely never meet. My 14 year-old son thinks it's terrible when I talk about some girl or woman being "hot" or nice looking. He'll say "Ah dad, is that all you think about?", to which I have several answers. I have told him that if I ever fail to notice pretty girls, he should check my pulse immediately, because I've probably expired. It is also the right of every man and woman to "read the menu" even though you're on A diet. Furthermore, I have one more excuse to direct my laser vision at all females within range, and that is my analytical artists' eye. I scrutinize sunsets, cloud formations, flowers, trees and virtualy everything I see from this standpoint, including people. I am thinking "How would I paint this, what colors would I use, How could I use this in A composition?"
I am faithful to those I love and I don't "act" on those impulses that I may have. My imagination, however, is my own little playground where I don't set too many rules for myself. swabby
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2005 06:17
Well stated, Swabby! Just as Aragorn noticed Eowyn, he remained true to Arwen. That is one of the many traits myself and I'm sure many other women love about him. Those who claim they don't look, especially men (who are usually very visual) may not be telling it like it really is. Or they are blind, lol!What freedom have we, if our minds were to be enslaved?

This applies also toward the obsession with Tolkien. I do love getting "lost" in Middle-Earth fantasy, it takes the mind away from everyday cares and troubles. But yet all the while I realize there is a difference and (sigh) it is just fantasy. Yes, I love to dream. :heart: Keeps me thinking, "there is always hope".
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2005 10:08
Hi everyone

A sightly belated welcome Miththoliel. Swabby loved your autumn poem. Hi Old Tom it's nice you pop up so regularly I think I am beginning to know all the regulars here now. Viggo obsessions and obsessives are fabby! I am not a Grandmother nor am I ever likely to be now but I am an auntie to an Orlando Bloom loving niece (all of 10 years old!). I am not good at sewing but I do like making cards and writing fan fiction. Hope everyone is well.

Regards

HT:heart:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2005 12:36
I agree about the fantasy thing. If we have our feet (and other body parts) planted in reality but our heads can access fantasy, then that's a prett balanced life, IMHO.

Hubby and I have a rule " Look, but don't touch." worked well for almost 25 years.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2005 02:40
Swabby, I totally agree. If one stops admiring the view, check them to make sure they aren't dead. lol

The weather finally turned cool here. Cool enough that the spousal unit and I went out to find a new coat for me last night. My old one that I used for playground duty has seen better days. So now I have a pretty new coat that's already been broken in. Yay fall!

*Hobbit sliding into the weekend* Have a good one, All.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2005 03:12
That is one of the many traits myself and I'm sure many other women love about him.

This applies also toward the obsession with Tolkien. I do love getting "lost" in Middle-Earth fantasy, it takes the mind away from everyday cares and troubles. But yet all the while I realize there is a difference and (sigh) it is just fantasy. Yes, I love to dream. :heart: Keeps me thinking, "there is always hope".

Amen to that! I agree whole heartedly.

I acknowledge your "excuse" to take in the artistic aspects of the female frame, swabby. I knew a preacher who once said that as he was walking down the beach looking at the sunbathers, he was admiring God's handiwork. Made me smile!

Welcome to the sisterhood, Miththoliel! You and I are alike in many ways...love the shore/beach, great music, grandkids, Aragorn/Viggo obsessed....do you like swords, leather and chain mail????

Thank you all for your comments on grandmotherhood. Don't know why it is hard for me to accept myself for being who I am. And I guess I'm not through becoming the me who I am meant to be.

MT
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2005 04:45
Great poem, Swabby! I loved your rhyme scheme (teacher in me, what can I say?)

Tom, you and Goldberry are perfect! I love your blue coat. That Goldberry is one lucky lady!

How Aragorn obsessed? (I like Viggo for all his Rennaisance qualities and he makes the package pretty---kinda like Christmas wrap). I, like MinasTirith, fell in love with Aragorn when I read the books in 9th grade...and I've since preferred dark haired and light eyed men...DH is dark haired with green eyes. :love: I have always believed in that hero-sacrificing-everything-for-the-common- good concept, like King Arthur, Robin Hood, Zorro, Aragorn. My favorite Aragorn line is "I'd have gone with you into the very fires of Mordor." I think that summarizes the epitome of a great hero. That probably makes me a romantic, a concept that is looked down on in today's world. As many of you know, I'm writing the back stories of Aragorn. How exactly is such a hero created? What life experiences brings one to such a point? So I guess I am a little Aragorn obsessed.

Men, this won't interest you...ladies I went to get a haircut and color today and I (excuse the pun) got a wild hair and told my fabulous stylist to create autumn hair for me! I now have glorious copper locks with streaks of gold...DH is out of town so this could prove interesting come Saturday.

A big hug, Miththoliel, a Buckeye sister! I reside in the opposite corner of the state now but I was born and raised in the northeastern quadrant in the Steubenville "metro" area. Go, Iron City! (That's a local beer for all of you non-Ohio Valleyiens.)

No children so no grandchildren but I have several charming "nieces and nephews." One is my obsessive LOTR companion. She has a perfect Frodo costume and can recite movie dialogue with me. The others won't allow us on the same side when we convince them to play LOTR trivial pursuit. We have managed to talk the rest of the adults into considering a trip to New Zealand the year she graduates from high school (2 years away!) I would tell you what I have for her for Christmas but she may be lurking hereabouts...I will say it is shiny and sharp . An apprentice for the sisterhood!

There is nothing wrong with looking, Swabby. Women look too. Why else would they watch football?

My contribution to "ALL I LEARNED" is

"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf

It's almost Friday! And the weatherman promises COLD and rain tomorrow!

SE
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2005 05:18
I swear, you ladies are A riot. You may be grandmothers or of grandmother-age, but you're clearly not ready for the rocking chair. You bunch of live wires are gonna have to taper off on your Tolkien consumption, sheath your swords and for goodness sakes, no more wild hair-dos!
awelyn418
Send Message
on: October 07, 2005 03:38
Swabby you crack me up. By the way I loved the Autumn poem. I liked the way it made me feel. I look forward to more of the poem.
It is chilly here in southeast Mo. today. I just love it. I really like this weather. Anyone have a great chili recipe or a homemade soup. I have a friend that makes this lentil soup with potatoes ,carrots, lentils and bacon. It is wonderful and if you are a vegetarian leave out the bacon. I can get the recipe if anyone is interested.
Yeah! it's Friday :disco:
Awelyn 418
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2005 05:34
:wave: Hi

I've been AWOL. Sorry about that. Lol!! Dragged kicking and screaming back into the fold.

Had a bonus day off today. The two bosses were out, no work to do, two fellas left in the office, so I went home. Fatal... I walked past *shops* Came home with new boots (knee length, buckles, straps, 3" heels, dark brown antique leather....to die for!! ), a sweater, a sleeveless fur-trimmed hooded short jacket, long black 'hippy' skirt and (confession :twitch: ) a white and silver angel made from swansdown for the top of my *cough* *whispers* Christmas Tree. Weeeelll!! They all waved at me and called 'come and buy meeee!!'.

I enjoy cooking, but since the kids left home and there is just me and my man, I don't cook so much. I love, what I call 'comfort food'. This recipe is probably one of my favourites. Recipe for Fish Pie. I also love mince, potatoes and cabbage.

Here is a little ditty, my Dad used to recite when I was a little girl:

The Spring is here, the grass is riz
I wonder where the birdies is?
Some say the bird is on the wing.
But that's absurd
The wing is on the bird.

Silly Dad. Lol!!

Hugs and hope everyone has a good weekend. :love:

Rose x
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2005 07:04
Good day, all! It went from 90 on Wed. here to 50's yesterday and cooler today...where is the Autumn? Good thing the memory is still in tact, at least most of the time, lol!

Yes, MT, I do love swords especially. Also leather & chainmail but mostly adore those on rangers :love: I've been busy building my Tokien library collection so don't have any swords yet. Hubby likes the swords also, so maybe that would be a good Christmas gift, if he dares buy me something sharp and pointy. Also, there are so many to choose from! What one(s) do you have? And I would love one of those realistic light sabres from Star Wars.

Hugs back to SE, wonderful to see another Buckeye here! I grew up in western PA and also lived east of Cleveland for a while, so am somewhat familiar with your area as well. Good ole Iron City, wow that brings back memories. Are you a Steeler's fan? I don't get into football, but hubby & most of my family are die-hard fans.

You say calm down, Swabby? We'll calm down once we get Rangers lol, j/k

Well time to put aside the Ranger for a brief while and get back to ME duties. Enjoy so much reading all of your posts!Hope you all have a wonderful day! :heart:
Susie
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2005 08:44
The poet in me seems to have gone missing today, so I'll add to the poem as soon as I can find that AWOL scaliwag and make him write some more verses fit to print.

Speaking of AWOL, I'm so glad our wandering Rose finally paid us A little visit. I'd sure like to see her in that new garb, especially those boots. I'm not sure about fish pie, but I do love mince, Rose.

I make chili but I'd have to spend some time figuring out the measuments before I could give y'all A recipe. Here's one tip that generally applies to soup-making, but also chili. USE LOTS OF ONION, and sautee it untill it starts to look transparent. I forget which cooking show it was that taught me that, but DO IT. They say it releases the volatile oils in the onion, but whatever it does, it works. It's also A good idea to use chicken or beef stock in soups that don't have any or much meat in them. FLAVOR---that's what it's all about.

Northwest Arkansas is chicken country. We have chicken houses everywhere. TYSON chicken, mostly. So here's A chicken joke. (It's PG-13)
Why don't chickens wear underwear? Because their pecker is on their face!
Did I go over the line? Will someone wearing lots of leather and an Eowyn complex come and skewer me with their pointy sword? HEHE, perhaps A verbal reprimand would do. Just don't make me eat any more of those weevil waffers and I'll be good, I promise!
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2005 03:58
Swabby, that is the exact kind of junior high humor I live for. I'm passing that on to my teacher friends!

It's soup weather! I'm adding my white chicken chili recipe to the FOF Ranger Recipes Cookbook. I stole it from a friend. This is a dump recipe which means open cans and dump it in!

Please remember I'm a teacher and carry a sword so this is not Martha Stewart perfect (somehow I think ol' Martha may have a sword in a closet somewhere, appropriately oiled and with a elk horn pommel to match her caviar spoons.)

Marie's White Bean Chicken Chili (can be made in any quantity)

2 cans white meat chicken with juice
1 large jar green chili sauce (The one I usually buy is about a pint and is Tia Maria maybe but any with tomatillos would work.)
1 large onion
1 can cream of chicken soup
1-2 cans white beans
1-2 small cans of chopped green chilies
jalapenos, grated cheddar, sour cream

Saute onion as Swabby suggests until transparent in olive oil.

In a large pot, dump chicken with juices, onion, green chili sauce, cream of chicken soup, and chilies. You may also add white pepper and a dash of hot sauce at this point if it's to your taste.

Cook for awhile until hot and flavors are blended (30-45 minutes?) Drain and rinse white beans and add. Cook gently until the beans are hot.

Serve in bowls. Garnish with jalapenos, cheddar and a dollop of sour cream.

This is a great teacher recipe. I have even gotten a nap in while heating and before adding the beans!

Tomorrow is the perfect day here for chili: high of 59!
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2005 02:08
I love that white chicken chili recipe, SE. It's delicious, easy and is low fat. I have the weight watchers version, which has only a few adjustments.
Wish you could send us a pic of your autumn colored locks! Sounds magnificent! I may have to try that. Let me know what hubby says!!
LOVE your autumn poem, swabby. I want to hear more before I hazzard a guess. You are some talented fellow, a master of word and pencil.
Your dad's poem is great, Rose. He sounds like he's alot of fun to be around..quite a character. Your new boots sound like mine! They were calling to me as well. I tried to talk myself into the less expensive ones, but hubby said that I needed to go for the classy look, as that was more my style. Who could argue with a man of such intelligence? Now all I have to do is wait for cool weather, which may take a while down here in the deep south.
Aragorn obsessed? ABSOLUTELY!!! I have a standee (named Ara-baby), several posters (a favorite... the one with him holding Andruil under his chin!!), calendars (he's on my birth month in several), action figures, art from various artists, buttons, bracelet, bookmarks, postcards, and ANDRUIL. I have other LOTR items, but this is my Aragorn collection.:love:
I have the Witch King's sword, Sting and Andruil in their bright, metallic majesty. I also have a few less "lofty" swords, just for fun, Miththoliel. There is the plastic Sting that makes a clanging sound and lights up around the edges with blue when you swing it around. There is an orcish type sword that just looks "bad". My favorite is the electronic Andruil. It's quite large and makes several different clashing/clanging noises when you press the button on the hilt. I had most fun with these swords at my last birthday party. It had a middle-earth theme. I challenged all to a bit of sword play and took them all down. Niece and I did a bit of chasing each other around the house, but I "vanquished her" with the Flame of the West. Oh, that was fun!!!
Can't wait to see what's in the gift shop at the LOTR exhibit in Indianapolis. Opening day was this past Thursday. I'll be going in about a month!!! Do you think there will be any rangers patrolling the area???

MT

<< First1415161718
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email