<< First1314151617Last >>
Author Topic:
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part III
on: September 27, 2005 08:22
Hi again everyone!

Re collections I have a set of the figures all around my PC. Legolas is on the top of the monitor and Gandalf is my printer wizard!

Rosearialelven the FE sock club? I am intrigued what is that?
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: September 27, 2005 09:38
Neenime - Wow... What a wonderful poem! You should submit it to our fan creations so more than just us ol' crusties can enjoy it.

swabby - Same goes for you, though I would suggest the Humor section. Everyone should have the opportunity to chortle along, not just us ol' crusties. LOL

Yep, we are a pretty talented bunch it seems. And obsessed. Besides my 20" Aragorn and Legolas (who both 'talk'), I also have nearly all the HoME, two sets of LoTR, The Art of... all three movies, Weapons and Warfare, The Atlas of Middle Earth, The Encyclopedia of Middle Earth (Robert Foster), Sindarin dictionary (both the hard copy and the one found online), Creatures of Tolkien's Middle Earth... Hadhafang, 12" resin Elrond in Prologue armor, 8" Elrond in the same and Legolas.

Gads, this is from memory as I'm at work at the moment. Of course, this doesn't mention the two 2005 wall calendars, student planner, datebook, and three 2006 wall calendars, and assorted posters. *sigh* I do not want to think how much money I've spent. Have all three EEs and theatrical editions, soundtracks... The list goes on and ever on. Heh
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: September 27, 2005 11:19
Neenime, I agree with everyone you poem is fantastic and you and swabby should submit your poems.
Old Tom I have to have a pillow that is not very fluffy or I get a neck pain. Did you try heat and then ice? I hope it is better now.
Hi Brandywine and Lady A and BelleBayard
Rose I would like to see your drawings. HT I am wondering about the sock club too did I miss something?
Well, I have to go now be back later.
Awelyn 418:heart:
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 27, 2005 11:33
Awelyn, you just click on the link I put in my post, where it says 'here' underlined. That will take you to my drawings and paintings in the Gallery and thanks for your interest. :hug:

Lol!! The Sock Club is something we have on the Realm of Nienna. We have a thread called Forth Eorlingas and Annúniel posted that she was eating a sock, so we all started. Chocolate socks seem to be the favourite.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 27, 2005 01:03
Ah, Rose, while I have gotten a few FE's, I have never gotten into eating socks...chocolate or otherwise! lol

I am most impressed with all of your poems! Alas, writing poetry isn't one of my strong suits. I'd like to believe that I have some little talent for writing, but poetry isn't one of them. Maybe in another life. In the meantime, I'll just sit back and enjoy all of yours if you don't mind.

The same goes for drawing. The spousal unit is an artist, but the most I can do are stick people. Even then, they look more like sticks than people. Oh, well. One thing I *know* I can do...teach. Yay!

Namárië

[Edited on 28/9/2005 by scots56]
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 27, 2005 02:33
Hey dol! merry dol! :wave:

Old Tom had a nice late morning/early afternoon nap and feels much better. I still have a bit of lingering pain in my neck which gives me a bit of a headache, but I shall survive. I had some peppermint tea earlier and am having some chamomile now. Nothing like a bit of herb therapy!

Speaking of tea, I'm trying a new recipe this evening that I found at the Celestial Seasonings website: Peppermint Cucumber Salad. (It's chilling in the fridge now.) I'm serving this with corn-on-the-cob and pork shoulder picnic country style boneless strips (is that a mouthful or what?) that I've been slow-cooking all day in the crockpot in a mesquite grilling sauce. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. :drool:

Don't know if I mentioned it, but Old Tom is at home on vacation this week. I've been very stressed out lately and just needed a break. I hope to get some things accomplished this week while also relaxing a bit. Purchasing a new pillow is on the agenda for tomorrow.
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 27, 2005 08:00
Hi everyone:

Just thought I would drop by and see what's up. Seems like everyone has been busy.

Old Tom: I have a very soft pillow. Just enough softness so that I don't get a stiff neck and stiff enough that my Acid Reflux doesn't bother me.

Rose: Loved the picture of the troll. The image is great. You definitely have talent.

neenime: That poem is great. I agree with awelyn418 that you and swabby should submit your poetry. It is great. Both of them.

I would like to thank the person who told us about Hennen Annûn. The stories over there are great. It has given me ideas of writing again. They are fantastic. :rolling: It has made the juices start to flow again.

Well, I'm going to bed and listen to Phantom of the Opera cd. It's amazing how music puts me to sleep and calms the nerves. Maybe Old Tom you need some soothing music. Sometimes LOTR music can sooth the soul. Let yourself drown in the moment. It works for me. Just some advise.

namarie
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 01:48
For ol' Tom

there's A g'rilla on my pillow
knock 'em off
knock 'em off!

there's another on my blankey
they done gave my neck A yankey
knock 'em off!

I have A lot more verses to that one, but I just wanted ol' Tom to hear the part that's applicable to him.

I had an interest in astrology many years ago. I never thought much of those horoscopes in the paper or in astrology as A tool for predicting the future, but there did seem to be something true about the personal traits attributable to each sign. It does seem that many "Leos" are brave, and that "Pices" are creative. Has anyone else made similar observations?

It is known that many of the world's most creative geniuses were either borderline insane or were tortured souls who felt great pain. I know that when I went through A divorce in the late seventies, I used my art and writing as outlets for my pain. I'm not saying that any of it was any good, but that it flowed out of me like never before.

I remembered one little very dark poem that I wrote back then.

Whacked up, chopped up meat
on sale for your consumption
don't delay, get some today
lest it plot your distruction

I look at Van Gogh, Beethoven, Mozart, and the list goes on--pain and creativity seem to be intrinsically linked. Anybody know why? swabby
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 02:43
Perhaps because it sets a person apart (and predisposes them to depression, sadly). Those who have some physical or emotional ailment often are more introspective and to find some sort of outlet, create. Heh... I can relate to the first little ditty, swabby. *snerk* I can even sing it! LOL... I'm totally serious...

Swabby and Neenime, please think about submitting your work to the site so we can all enjoy!
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 04:19
Thanks so much for your kind words about my poem. I was surprised that I had it in me. Prose is really more my strong suit. Yes, I have previosuly submitted it to the creatinos section and was very pleased with how well it was received.

The art work and poetry and story-telling of this group is always enjoyable.

I have discovered in the last few years that people in general are much more creative than they give themselves credit for. We're always stopping ourselves and judging and getting in our own way. When I've run workshops or attended classes (dance, art, etc) in which we have tried creative activities, we are always surprised by how wonderful they are. What you need to time, encouragement and a safe environment (like this thread) ,free of criticism and elitism.

It does my heart good to see all of us fine, upstanding citizens of a certain age, collecting stuff and indulging in LOTR-mania. I used to be quite shy about my obsession, thinking it a throwback to my silly girlhood. Now I see that my fears were for naught.

“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 08:33
knock 'em off
knock 'em off!

there's another on my blankey
they done gave my neck A yankey
knock 'em off!
I love it! It makes me think of my older brother. Growing up gorilla seemed to be one of his favorite words. I think he found images of large and hairy things amusing. He used to invent lots of things, too, like the legendary buck-toothed hullis. Naturally,the hullis is invisible until just before it eats you. The last thing it's victim sees is a pair of giant buck teeth. (Yeah, weird, but that's my family. )

Perhaps because it sets a person apart (and predisposes them to depression, sadly). Those who have some physical or emotional ailment often are more introspective and to find some sort of outlet, create.
I was going to answer the same. Isn't there a saying about "suffering artists"?

We're always stopping ourselves and judging and getting in our own way.
Truer words have never been spoken. (Or posted on a messageboard. )

If we continue with posts like these we'll need to change our name from "Fans over Forty" to "The Council of the Wise", or something like that. Of course as someone visited the thread and saw all of our silly ramblings and talks about LOTR cast members in kilts we'd have our title stricken.

It's nearly 11:30 AM on Day 3 of my vacation and haven't got much done, yet. I did set a shovel and trowel on the porch along with my work gloves and the worn out sneakers I use for working outside. Once I finish the leftover cucumber salad I'm eating I'm going to plant some chocolate mint in the short barrel planter that sits just outside our front door. (I had wanted to grow spearmint but I understand it's out of season.) My first go at gardening. Wish me luck!

Review on the Peppermint Cucumber Salad:
Much more tart than I expected, but then it does have a fair quantity of yogurt and vinegar in it. The mint taste is very subtle. For my own personal taste I think I'd like the salad to be sweeter and more minty. I also could have used another cucumber, as there seemed to be an imbalance with the dressing. I guess when the recipe calls for large cucumbers it means LARGE cucumbers.
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 08:38
Great poems, Swabby and Neenime - both in their own category!

I also took a look at Rose's troll; that was very well done! One of these days, I'll have to browse through Swabby's gallery as well. (If only there were 25 hours in a day...)

Old Tom, perhaps you could try one of those anatomically shaped pillows? I have one that you can adjust to fit just your neck and head, and it's been quite good. I think similar ones are available in your part of the world too.
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 10:32
I loved your little ditty, swabby. You really are very talented.

Thanks people, for taking time out to look at my doodlings.

Autumn is really kicking in here. Windy, wet, cold with soggy leaves on the ground. Brrrr.

The local markets already have christmassy stuff, imitation trees, lights, baubles and a bigger influx of Hallowe'en items too. Seems to be catching on in the UK.

I'll have to have bags of sweets ready, although some of the efforts of costume that come to my door, leave something to be desired. Lol!! I don't think that black plastic bin bags, with a bit of string tied round the wearer's waist constitutes a lot of effort. :twitch:
awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 10:59
Hello everyone,
I have been reading all the thoughts on the different subjects and I thought wow this is like being in a family. When you are in a family you have different outlooks and talents . You respect each other and don't judge. You just accept them for who they are and for their likes and dislikes. I know all families are not like that but they should.
We are concerned for each other we build each other up and we encourage each other. I say :cheers: to FOF. I think we are wise and laid back enough to have a good sense of humor. I smile so much when I come to FOF. Thank you for the poems and drawings and lighthearted conversations. Those who are like me and can't draw or write poetry but you are witty and you give me recipes I think we are just great

Awelyn 418
awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 11:01
I didn't mean to repeat myself
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 03:10
This group is like family to me as well,awelyn. I love the unique perspectives that each person brings to issues and topics. I laugh alot here and sometimes that laugh just makes my day!!! Thanks to you all for being yourselves!
I would love to print you poem To The Dunedain, Neenime and hang it under my framed picture sketched by swabby. It would look so wonderful.
Wish I had your Aragorn banner, Old Tom. How do you have it hanging? I have a friend who has one wall in her bedroom painted a deep blue with a silver tree of Gondor painted in the center.

Old Man Pillow.....LOL!!

We shall be called the sisterhood of the sword slinging teachers, brandywine . Do you own a blade? Worry not, as some of us have one you may use.

Speaking about horoscopes swabby, I am an aries...the warrior. Do I need to say more???

It was sindarinelvish who shared the henneth-annun site, balrog. I give her my thanks as well for sharing such a treasure. I found the extra chapters of her Aragorn stories there. A wonderful read, especially for one who has "taken up with a ranger" in the heart department.

MT
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 05:07
You made me blush MinasTirith. :blush: For those of you that are taken by my scribblings or like in Old Tom's case, need something to put you to sleep, I did post Part Three of Aragorn's story at Henneth Annun last night. It's called Reaches of the North.

Neenime, I love "To the Dunedain." It really gets to the constant striving through overwhelming odds feeling.

OLd Tom, I have several generations of pillows stuffed in closets about the manse because they just "didn't work out." I want a set of those hotel pillows!

As far as sunsigns, I am a Leo, another of those aggressive signs, to be sure. Certainly an appropriate device for my Sisterhood of the sword slinging teachers shield!

Lords and ladies, I need a weekend BADLY! And once again, WHO assigned all these essays?!!???:cry:
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 05:38
"The dangerous biscuits"

Son of Fred, your dog is dead
killed by A flying biscuit
It flew right off aunt Ednas' plate
and crushed his little brisket

Wife of Fred, so full of dread
Why'd you make that lethal bread?
Next time make them softly baked
So when we bite our teeth don't break

I loved biscuits and gravy so much when I was little that I would hollow out A biscuit with my thumb, then fill it with gravy. I guess you could call it A "gravy sandwich". I believe it was Paul Hogan who used the expression "smooth as A gravy sandwich". Little did he know!

Long ago,the shoe stores used to give away little baby chicks with A new pair of shoes. They only did it around Easter time and the chicks were dyed different colors. I had A blue one that somehow survived my love and attention untill it had gotten quite large. My sisters had comic books that I was never, ever allowed to touch. Perhaps my wits were still askew from the pee-bucket incident, but I never suspected A thing when my mother placed me on the back porch with A huge pile of the aforementioned taboo comic books and told me that I could look at them all I wanted, as long as I stayed right there and didn't move. We had my favorite Sunday dinner A little while later---FRIED CHICKEN, mashed potatos, gravy, biscuits and the rest. Mom said that I ate more chicken than anyone. I got suspicious A few days later when I realized my chicken was missing and there were A few telltale blue-tipped feathers lying around. Even then, I could not make the obvious conclusion that my mother had cooked my chicken and fed it to me. It was years later before she fessed up.
Wasn't that mean of my mother? I hope my pillow isn't mean to me tonight, too. swabby
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 06:14
Hi Gang.

I also believe we are one big happy family. Sometimes some of you give good advice on things that sometimes we can't think properly.

I have a question for all the people who grew up in the late 60's early 70's music industry:

Who sang the song "War"? I have been trying to find out on the net and coming up blank. It would be great help. Someone here heard it on the radio and couldn't remember who sang it. I found other people who sang it after the original singers but not the original singer.

I have heard this song on two shows: "Tour of Duty" and "Good Morning, Vietnam".
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 07:26
Who sang the song "War"? I have been trying to find out on the net and coming up blank. It would be great help. Someone here heard it on the radio and couldn't remember who sang it. I found other people who sang it after the original singers but not the original singer.
Do you mean THIS? The artist is Edwin Starr.

In pillow news...

Actually, I already know what pillow I want: one exactly like my wife's. When I bought the one I'm using now I thought I was getting one like hers--it's made of the same material--only mine is much denser. I'll get the right one this time.

I did join a gym this afternoon and signed up for 12 sessions with a personal trainer. Within a couple of months I'll be whipped into shape...or at least on my way to it. I start tomorrow at 8 AM. :yawn:
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 07:47
Old Tom: I would like to thank you *bows*. That the song I was looking for. My hats off to you. Thank you again.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2005 02:26
FoF a family? I dunno. I don't think we're dysfunctional enough to be called that (kidding). I agree we're a delightful bunch. In older days, we would have been a fellowship that travelled from afar and spent time, in a great hall (Rivendell? Edoras?) mead-cups in hand. Mind you, I would have smuggled in some "water of life" a.k.a. whiskey (can't get the Gaelic spelling). Hound dogs at our sides, a bard singing in the background, a large blazing fire. Ahhhhhhhhhhh - makes me relax just picturing i

swabby Is there no end to your witty talent? Are you sure you've never been a writer for Monty Python? BTW - Holy Grail was my favourite film until the LOTR trilogy came out.

Old_Tom I missed the earlier discussion about your neck problems. I have a neck and shoulder thing that I reglarly re-injure. Chiropractic treatment has made my life so much better. It brings me relief ( as do ice and stretching right after the strain and learning the limits of my body). I hope your problem is something that might lend itself to that form of intervention.

Cheers- have to go off and pretend to work now.

“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 29, 2005 02:39
I am an Aries too. Swabby, was that the only food you had when your mom cooked your chicken? I had a pet pig it was the runt of the litter. My dad was working for a farmer who gave the pig to my dad. We taught it tricks but eventually he ended up on our breakfast table. I learned after that never to have a farm animal for a pet.
The only time that I lost a significant amount of weight is when I had a trainer Old_ Tom_Bombadil.
Well, I owe I owe so off to work I go and everyone have a good ,safe day.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2005 04:03
I can relate to neenime's vision of our Middle Earth family gathered in that great hall, having lively conversations and clanking our mugs (filled with whatever) in toast after toast and laughing till our sides hurt and jaws ache. If someone will tell me where it's being held, I'll be there.
Perhaps I could have written for Monty Python---I'm certainly silly enough. I loved that show! I loved all the movies they made also, especially "Holy Grail" and "The Meaning of Life". I'm sure that they are one of the little voices I hear when I write silly things, along with Edgar Allen Poe and Junior Samples. Boy is that an ODD bunch!

I was born on March 4, 1948, which makes me A Pices.

awelyn, I, too, had A pig that ended up on the breakfast table. Must we always EAT the things we love?

My other favorite food was pinto beans. I remember that my grandmother came down to visit from St. Louis one time, and she tried to use my love of pinto beans to get on my good side. She wasn't A nice loving old lady like grandma's are supposed to be, but rather cold, so I thought. She noticed how I would eat all of my beans, then drink the juice, so she told me that if I would come home with her, she would give me bean juice in A baby bottle. How ingenious of that old woman to offer me such A culinary delight! I agreed, but alas, it was only A cruel joke. No bean juice in A bottle for me. I would remain at home and have to continue drinking it from my plate. In an effort to diminish my pain, I started drinking heavily---iced tea through A green onion blade, that is. Yes, they will make quite A decent drinking straw when your mother won't give you A real one. A bit of the onion flavor comes through, so use LOTS of sugar!

Next time I'll tell you all where NOT to put A fire cracker. swabby
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2005 04:20
Hey, I'm a Pisces, too.

Mmm - beans. Like 'em with rice. Or hummus: chick peas pureed with lots of garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, parsley (and hot sauce for that burn!)

.Monty Python My family and I watched The Holy Grail so many times, we could lip-sync the words to most of the dialogue (just lke Rocky Horror Picture Show). MY favourite is the peasant's discourse on politics : ".........receivng a knife from some tart in a farcical aquatic ceremony is hardly the basis for a system of government..."

BTW - this is a good day to be at work. We run a medical.mental health clinic and show movies in teh waiting room so customers can relax. Today's feature : ROTK!!!! Will be making lots of excuses to go into the waiting area..............

[Edited on 29/9/2005 by Neenime]
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2005 08:12
Old Tom: I would like to thank you *bows*. That the song I was looking for. My hats off to you. Thank you again.
Happy to help, Balrog.

Chiropractic treatment has made my life so much better. It brings me relief ( as do ice and stretching right after the strain and learning the limits of my body). I hope your problem is something that might lend itself to that form of intervention.
Yes it does, Neenime, I've been seeing a chiropractor regularly for over 16 years. I just need to be better at doing the prescribed exercises he gives me. Spending less time on the computer would help, too.

Speaking of exercises, I had my first personal training session this morning. He took it pretty easy on me--I haven't stepped foot in a gym in about 7 1/2 years--but the workouts will gradually become more difficult. I also did 20 minutes on the treadmill at the rate of 3.3 mph so that was a nice brisk walk.

I'm a big fan of The Holy Grain, too. I had the movie on VHS, but two weeks ago I bought a special edition DVD. It was so great to watch it again. I laughed at parts I hadn't remembered laughing at before, you know, just silly little stuff away from the main action of the film.

The FOF Family? I thought we were an anarcho-syndicalist commune.
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2005 08:16
Aquarius here. Eccentric of the Zodiac. :twitch:

I never had animals that could be eaten, just cats and dogs. Well I suppose it depends where you live, on that score. However, I do remember my friend having two pet rabbits. Mmmm, they were delicious. Is that awful of me. :evil: But times were hard just after the War. There was still rationing. I remember sweets were rationed up to 1953, I think, thereabouts anyway.

Lucky customers, Neenime ~ and you!! RotK to watch.

Swabby was a sailor,
He sailed the mighty seas.
Swabby got his nickname,
Cleaning decks on hands and knees.

Neenime: I used to be a Rocky Horror Picture Show fanatic and still love it now. Tim Curry was wonderful as Frankenfurter. I have been to theatre productions and late night film shows, *and* dressed up. Lol!! I usually went as Magenta.

I'll be glad when it is weekend. I work for orcs. Nuff said!! Lol!!

Hugs to everyone.
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2005 09:06
Hi everyone, perhaps this thread should be called "family over 40" I like the idea of having all these different people as my brothers and sisters! Anyone else ever sing the Adams family theme tune and substitute their own surname? I do this and I found out that my sister in law sings this to her kids but she didn't know I did it. Old Tom glad your neck is a bit better as for exercise I recently joined our work's lunchtime aerobics class its killing me! Rosearialelven thanks for the explanation about the sock club - I suppose if people will eat haggis then why not socks. Do Orcs eat socks? or should that be sorcks? Do you feel another poem coming on Swabby? Love to all

HT:heart:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2005 09:41
My oldest son used to say "boon" and "sorck" when he was little. Then there's that plastic spoon-thing that has shark's teeth in front that they give you at fast food joints. You know, it's kind of A cross between A spoon and A fork, thus------ "spork".

Sock-eating orcs! Holy cow! My ME family is A never-ending fountain of great ideas! Swabby is most thankful.

Roses' little deck-swabbing dittie is oh-so-true, ya know. You could say that I was A "consummate" deck-swabber. Got pretty good at it, I did.

Hey, they got my new Frodo posted. swabby
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2005 03:02
Swabby,

I went off to look at your drawings...WOW! You have amazingl talent, sir. And I just thought you were a master poet! You have captured the ethereal light in elves' eyes perfectly, especially Legolas and Elrond, and I think your Denethor is my favorite...the perfect portrait of a leader driven to crazed meanness by events beyond his control!!!

It was cold today! Actually just cool but the students had to put on more clothes so they spent less time tugging, pulling, and pinning their way into dress code compliance. I feel badly for any of you who are mothers or fathers. The wars you must have with the teens about what is appropriate wear for school. We are always telling them to COVER UP the merchandise! The poor male teachers are so careful about not looking but some of our young ladies are "bustin' out all over" And those hip hugger (barely) jeans with the exposed thong look...one sneeze and it's all over!

Thank goodness the baggy pants fad for the boys is about over. Running becomes an issue and I really don't understand why anyone would want their teachers to know what color their boxers are! TMI as my students would say.

Orbelain Vaer! (Good Friday, i.e. TGIF)
Mae athollen Narbeleth! (Welcome back October!)

SE
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2005 05:19
Hi everyone. Just thought I would drop in and see what's happening.

Rose: You are not the only one that works for orcs. Lucky for me, they went home early and i was in charge. Nice to be in charge. Got lots of work done. They never seem to get the work done.

Aries here. Born March 23, 1962. 6 days after St. Patrick's day. Gotta love that green.

Day off tomorrow but got lots of work to do. Not housework thank God. Stories to write before Sunday and my personal story. Plus I just picked up the first season to LOST on DVD and will spend the time tomorrow watching it. I want to see the extra stuff they stuck in it. It's going to be good.

I am also going to start making pumpkin pies tomorrow too. Have to cook the pumpkin first. Our Thanksgiving Day is October 10. Turkey Day for us. But I think my roomie and I will be having chicken. Turkey is too bog to cook and we'll be eating turkey til we grow feathers.

Well should go and complete my story for Sunday and then to bed.

See "The Family" later.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2005 06:53
It was cold today! Actually just cool but the students had to put on more clothes so they spent less time tugging, pulling, and pinning their way into dress code compliance.
*Sigh* I thought we were going into Fall mode but it only turned out to be a hiccup. We actually had a thunder storm the other day but only a couple of drops of rain. You'd missed it if you blinked.

It's been in the '90s the past couple of days. It's great for those who like warm weather, I guess, but we bearded, long-haired folk of the Anglo-Saxon persuasion prefer it a bit cooler. We'll probably have very warm weather right until All Hallows Eve when it will rain like the Dickens.

You ladies have been clamoring to see a certain star of some certain Oscar-winning films based on the works of a certain English professor wearing a certain garment native of the British Isles so I'm her to help you all out...

Whoops! Wrong star. Better luck next time.

[Edited on 9/30/2005 by Old_Tom_Bombadil]

BelleBayard
Send Message
on: September 30, 2005 02:12
Well, considering Billy's Scottish, it's more likely to see him in a kilt than Viggo, who's American. Heh...

Well, weather here is typical California autumn. Chilly in the morning and very warm in the afternoon. We too have had a couple of incidences of "thunder showers" where we had a little thunder and lightning and just enough rain to raise the humidity and make the heat muggy. Urgh...

As for clothing at school, it's the same here, sindarinelvish, in our area. The high school my son attends will make the kids change into these "loaner" clothes if they wear sometihng not dress code (read very bland T-shirt and sweat pants) and sagging till the undwear shows is not allowed either. Argh...

Okay, I know our clothing probably drove our parents to distraction, but really... Sagging comes from the prisons where the inmates do it as protest and when they get out they do it to show they've been incarcerated. Some sort of weird reverse badge of honor, I guess. And the kids that do it either 1) don't have any idea where it comes from or, 2) do it because they think that the idea of having been in jail is "cool." :nono: Fortunately, neither one of my kids has been into the fad thing, for which I am eternally grateful.

HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2005 06:33
Hi everyone,

Swabby you have inspired me to write my own silly poem about some of the stuff discussed here. I will never be able to draw like you do but I hope I can be just as silly (in the nicest possible sense).

How sad to be a veggie Orc
who, with neither spoon nor fork,
whilst eating taters, senses danger
In the form of one hot sexy Ranger
Lower limbs are clad in kilt
A pretty sight (he is well built!)

And in his wake that fearsome creature
The 40-ish sword wielding teacher
School marm or even school mistress
Who likes the Ranger’s style of dress

The little Orc lets out a sigh
As Ranger screams “Prepare to Die!”
He’s stopped from putting in the boot
By Teach’ who says Awww, but he’s cute!

“Let him go free, no, on reflection,
I’ll take him home for my collection!
I’ll teach him proper table manners.”
“Just kill me now!” the poor Orc stammers

She grabs the Orc then says “Hey King!
Before I go there’s just one thing.
Prey tell me I just have to know,
What is it that is worn below?”

“Nothing” says he with royal hauteur
It’s all in perfect working order!

Hope you all like it and don't think I am too weird.

Regards

HT
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2005 08:39
Heritavaril, you've whupped ol' swabby like A red-headed stepchild. No longer am I the poet laureate of this forum, for that title now belongs to you. I tip my sailor hat to you for that marvilous piece of literary magic. I shall have to give it my all if I'm to come even close to your most high degree of excellence. (and my spelling sucks, too) swabby
<< First1314151617Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email