Register

<< First1112131415Last >>
Author Topic:
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part III
on: September 20, 2005 07:00
Swabby, your recipes sound delicious, I'll have to try them sometime. And, I don't mind shortening my username - everybody calls me Morwin anyway.

Sindarinelvish, I'll definitely have to read your fanfic... :evil:

I'm just recovering from a really nasty flu that kept me in bed for four days and earned me three days off work. I'm still awfully tired, but now I can actually feel that I'm getting better. Hope the others here are well and healthy.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 07:23
I would like to know more about this "Guy Fawkes Day". That is something I've never heard of. As for the American version of Halloween, didn't it really evolve from an old English custom? I still remember the old Peter, Paul and Mary folk song "A soalin'", which I've always thought was about going door to door asking for treats, but at Christmas time. Am I full of it? (well yes, b-b-but that's not the point)

Speaking of adult subjects, I must say that my little "Stanky B'Zard" poem was written during my last days in the Navy and originally had some "salty" language in it. I later cleaned it up for my young son. Here is A slightly "blue" and very silly poem from my silly poem department:

London bridges falling down
fell upon my poor old hound
his testicles we never found
probably smooshed into the ground
now he's only half A hound
no use for him to go to town
his bark it is A high-pitched sound
and cats just chase him 'round and 'round.

Pretty silly, huh? Think I'll get in trouble? swabby
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 08:10
ROTFLMAO! That's just soooo funny!
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 11:26
Scots56, I love when you refer to home as the Plains of Gorgoroth...makes me chuckle each time.

Swabby, was that poem a "DOGgerel"? (I couldn't resist!)

Thanks all for your kind words about my scribblings. I am doing a series of stories about Aragorn's youth and will post them at the COE fanfiction site as they become "done." (They are all no worse that PG; it was just my little "what-if" that got me into trouble.)

Our district scheduled a teacher inservice day for 10/31:evil:. The kids all think Halloween has become a national holiday. I am going to subtly go in costume to the inserve as (of course) a SINDARIN ELF...I have a velvety looking midnight blue tunic and a Elvish brooch and earrings...and I just got my ears...I wonder if there is a way to carry in my bow or maybe just one arrow or I could wear the vambraces....hhmmmmm.

Yes, Swabby, before you ask, in addition to a sword I own a bow. Beware women bearing weapons. And Sindy is fine.

SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 12:19
Hope no-one falls asleep. Lol!!

Swabby: According to the National Paranormal Research site, Halloween started out as a pagan festival of the deceased but has seemed to survive the test of time to present day. Halloween has become culture in the western world to dress up in fantastical or scary outfits and to go knocking on doors quoting `Trick or Treat'.

All Hallows Eve (or Halloween as it is better known) falls on the 31st October and is followed by All Hallows Day, also known as, All Hallomas, All Saints, All Saints Day or All Souls Day.

A very long time ago, the Celts named the Halloween festival Samhain (sow`an) and saw it as an event to celebrate the coming of winter and the Celtic New Year. Samhain means `end of summer.

This changed more so depending on the country. Ireland named it `Samhein` or `La samon`: Feast of the Sun. Scotland was happy with Hallowe`en. again, what took place on the festival night differed from land to land.

Ancient Ireland, Druids made sacrifices on Halloween to the gods by putting the hapless victim in a wicker cage and torching it so the thing burns wildly!!!

The dimension gate between the mortal plain and the otherworld is believed to be at its most frail at this particular time of year making contact between the two plains a lot easier.

The eve of the holiday is where the dead gets the chance to roam freely in the land of the living.

The Custom of trick-or-treating could have a number of origins.
One in particular was the begging for soul cakes, or offerings of food for the deceased which gradually changed to begging for ones self in exchange for prevention of bad luck or prosperity.

And Guy Fawkes Night or Bonfire Night has been going for almost 400 years when bonfires have burned
on November 5th to mark the failed Gunpowder Plot.

The tradition of Guy Fawkes-related bonfires actually began the very same year as the failed coup. The Catholic Plot was foiled in the night between the 4th and 5th of November 1605. Already on the 5th, agitated Londoners who knew little more than that their King had been saved, joyfully lit bonfires in thanksgiving. As years progressed, however, the ritual became more elaborate.

Soon, people began placing effigies onto bonfires, and fireworks were added to the celebrations. Effigies of Guy Fawkes, and sometimes those of the Pope, graced the pyres. Still today, some communities throw dummies of both Guy Fawkes and the Pope on the bonfire (and even those of a contemporary politician or two), although the gesture is seen by most as a quirky tradition, rather than an expression of hostility towards the Pope.

On the night itself, an effigy of Guy Fawkes is placed on top of the bonfire, which is then set alight; and fireworks displays fill the sky.

Bonfire Night is not only celebrated in Britain. The tradition crossed the oceans and established itself in the British colonies during the centuries. It was actively celebrated in New England as "Pope Day" as late as the 18th century. Today, November 5th bonfires still light up in far out places like New Zealand and Newfoundland in Canada.

Everyone still awake? :twitch: I love the internet. You can find out so much. :love:

Rose
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 01:54
Thanks for all the info Rose. Some of it I knew but had no clue about some of the other.

You're right, HeriT, it would be quite a treat to see Aragorn/Viggo at my door, especially in a kilt. I would fit myself inside his goody bag and tell him that it's time to head for home.

I feel like I should be wearing a surgical mask or carrying a rabbit's foot. There's been a bit of sickness/injury/allergy.

Be careful with that food allergy balrog. Your reaction may be worse next time. What a sad thing to be allergic to seafood! Almost as bad as not being able to have chocolate.

Hope you made it through your keyboarding session with much pain scotts56. I would probably be bumping my injured finger into any and everything.
Flu already, Morwin? Yikes! I guess I should get my shot. The children always cough all over me and I hold their hands alot.

Your poem made me LOL swabby. Guess the dog's owner saved $ on having it spayed/neutered. That's the positive take.

Love the idea of you dressing up,SE. I'd love to have a beautiful elvish gown. Where did you get the ears? I'll be going to a ren fest next month and hope to find some appropriate clothing and may luck up and find some ears as well. My soul feels evlish even though I am short and have brown, curly hair. I'm sure that there are elves with curly hair who are short, don't you?

MT

[Edited on 9/21/2005 by BelleBayard]
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 03:27
Scots56,
A burn no matter what size is just awful,but if you could sit with ice on it at least it would feel better. But you could not do that and keyboard. Remember when they would tell you to butter on a burn.
Man, that would really burn.
I hate to even think of flu so early Morwin but will get a shot also
:cry: I am a big baby about needles.
Balrog I am glad you are feeling better I do the same thing when stung by a bee.
With my job we have a Halloween party for the children. I am dressing as a female hobbit. I wish I had the figure for being an elf but alas it would take a spell to have me look like an ELF.
Swabby , is there nothing you can't do? Let's see you are a poet,artist,chef,rock music trivia expert,all of this and a sense of humor to boot.I bow to you sir :disco:
I helped clean the pool tonight. I got the job of being in the water. It was 72 degrees the thermometer said but it felt colder.
Awelyn 418
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 08:34
And now for something completely different...

Old Tom Bombadil delivers a shoulder check to swabby and deftly separates him from the puck.

He feeds a backhand pass to scots56 who fires it back to Tom for the give-and-go

Tom performs an eye-popping spin-a-rama while sliding the puck between the skates of BelleBayard

He dekes left, feigns a pass to Rosearialelven, drops his right shoulder before bearing down on MinasTirithMS in goal who's drops into the butterfly position

He shoots..

HE SCORES!!!!

:disco:
Oh, sorry, I guess I got a little carried away there. :blush:

Hockey season is nearly upon us, and after having no NHL all of last year it'll be nice to see the San Jose Sharks back on the ice.

Reveal your teal!
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 02:26
Hehehehe... You'd win for sure if you played against me! I've never played hockey of any sort. Like some of us, I have never gotten into sports, either playing or watching. The most I watch is steeplechasing because of the horses. Dunno why, just never have. My dad never did. Maybe I got it from him (neither did mom), but my mom's dad was a rabid Raiders' fan (when they were in Oakland) and my grandmother a football widow every fall. My mother used to just shake her head and roll her eyes and say "Oh it's time for the 'run and fall down' season again." LOL...
awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 02:33
Hi Old Tom,
Have not heard from you in awhile.
It seems like alot of hockey players have to have their teeth fixed.
It can really get violent out there. I don't ice skate so it seems impossible to me to play hockey and stay up on the ice. I did take my kids ice skating once and I fell and cut my arm on ice. I was not a graceful skater.I know many people in St. Louis Missouri who are avid Hockey fans with the St. Louis Blues hockey team.
Good to hear from you. Could you ask your wife if she was making a hobbit costume how she would make hairy feet?
Awelyn 418
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 04:46
First of all, I'd like to say that Rose's history lesson was great. I found it informative as well as entertaining.

How good it is to hear from ol' Tom! I was wondering what had happened to you. I must admit, though, that I have no idea what you were talking about. Were you talking about that game the Miyans or Incas or whoever played, where they tried to put A rubber sap ball through A hoop that was too high to reach and then the losers got their heads whacked off? (Maybe they just got their pyramid-building privilages revoked---I don't know) When you said "And now, for something completely different", I thought you were going to say "A man with three buttocks". Anyway, it's good to hear from you.

Here's some more of my high-classed poetry;

Mary ate A can of spam, made of ham
and little lambs.
Mary ate A can of spam
which made her skin turn green

Every where that Mary went
Mary went, Mary went,
Every where that Mary went,
The kids would cry and scream.

Spam will make your skin turn green,
Disco queen, jelly bean
Spam will make your skin turn green
You'll fit right in on Halloween.

BelleBayard
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 05:12
Hehehehe... How well I remember having Spam for meals, compliments of the maternal unit who worked in the 60's. I couldn't do what my mother did so I can't complain.
awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 07:04
Spam! I hate the stuff. My husband loves it would rather have a spam burger instead of a hamburger. My mother and father loved it to and would fry it and eat it for breakfast with eggs Give me bacon and eggs any day. I have cut my consumption of eggs down to a minimum because of my high lipid count. I am doing better in that area but those foods that I can't have taste so good :disco:
Awelyn 418:heart:
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 08:07
Old Tom: I've never played ice hockey, but was on the hockey team at my high school. Loathed the game. Mind you I was always getting sent off, for one offense or the other. *blush*. My favourite game at school was Rounders, the original of Baseball, maybe.

Oooh, Spam!! Our local chippy has just started selling Spam Fritters. I always forget just how lovely Spam tastes until I bit into it, then .... mmmmm!

Who has ever had pigs trotters, Lancashire Hotpot or black puddings? (Northern English delicacies). Yummy. And I remember in the winter time, my mum always packed me off to school with a thick piece of toast and dripping, with plenty of salt.

Oh, I just remembered too. The specialities for Bonfire Night are roasted chestnuts, treacle toffee, parkin (a sticky treacley cake) and p-o-t-a-t-o-e-s done in their jackets placed at the edge of the bonfire.

♪♪ Memories are made of this....♪♪
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 09:06
Pigs trotters? Lancashire hotpot? Are we still talking about hockey? Ha! Just kidding! I have heard of black puddings and I've even heard of one you didn't mention, Rose --- pork pie. I once had the pleasure of working with an English fellow who had somehow joined the American Navy. (probably by some horrible mistake, I imagine) He'd share his "care packages" from home with his greatful shipmates. (including this swabby, along with the other swabbies) Before that 7 month deployment was over, he had us all playing darts and drinking tea. I even started picking up some of his slang. Instead of drinking untill I was pie-eyed, snot-slinging drunk,3 sheets to the wind or sh*t-faced, I drank untill I was "pissed". Will that word get me in trouble? I meant it in the English context, meaning "drunk", is that OK?
We became friends when I told him that I rode A Norton motorcycle. You'll never guess what we called him. His name was Pollard but he liked to be called "Limey".
awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 11:49
Rose,
The only food that I know that they have in England is fish and chips.
Oh isn't there a blood pudding. What were the foods you were talking about?
Sounds interesting, pig trotters is that like pigs feet?
I had a friend that taught school for a season in England. She had a male student come to her desk and ask for a rubber. She was shocked had no idea what to do so she said yes if it is on my desk . He bent over her desk and borrowed a pink eraser. She was so relieved.She laughed later but was so stressed she thought they were playing a trick on the new teacher.
Awelyn 418
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 12:19
Awelyn: Black pudding is the proper name for blood pudding. You can either boil it or fry it, served with tomato ketchup. Pigs trotters are indeed pigs feet, boiled until the flesh turns to jelly, then plenty of vinegar. Sound lovely don't they. Lol!! Nothing better for keeping cold north winds out of your bones. Toast and dripping, is toasted bread smeared with the drippings, left to set, from the Sunday joint. Beef is best.

The difference between the English language and the US can be amusing ... sometimes. I still can't get used to the word US use of the word 'f*nny'. Over here it has a totally different connotation. *cough* *cough* Lol!! But we won't go there.

P*ssed does mean you are drunk, it also means that you are really, really fed up, too.

Swabby: Wow!!! A Norton. Just the bestest bike ever. My dad had a Norton Dominator Twin Carb. She was his baby!! I even got to ride it myself. I was a bit of a rocker in my youth. Motorbikes were heaven. Triumph Bonnevilles, BSA Goldstars, Harley Davidsons. I used to wear studded leather jacket and boots, ice blue jeans and hang out at Bikers Clubs. *drifts off into the haze of past joys*

swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 12:35
Rose, I guess you could say that Norton motorcycles, and British motorcycles in general have been one of the great loves of my life. I had A 1970 Fastback Commando that I kept for 20 years. I have restored/repaired/overhauled Nortons, Triumphs, BSA's and Royal Enfields for many years. I no longer have any bikes (gave them up and went back to art) but I still have boxes of mostly Norton parts in the garage. Those bikes will always be near and dear to my heart. swabby
awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 01:18
Those of you that are Dom Monaghan fans don't forget tonight is the first episode of Lost. In the USA any way. I love the show.
Awelyn 418
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 02:47
I don't know much about hockey, living in the tropics as I do.

I've ridden on a Harley Davidson several times and an Indian motorcycle.

Had a neighbor looong ago who was from London origionallly who made scones that I remember enjoying very much.

I guess I need to get out more often and experience the rest of the world.

Are you seeing any evacuees from Texas who are fleeing Rita, swabby? Something is not right with the world. I'm gonna be sure to go to church on Sunday.

MT
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 01:41
I have A very important question for you all.

If A man speaks in A forrest and there are no women there to hear him------- is he still wrong?
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 02:24
scots56 Howard Shore concert?! Awesome. Wish I could be there. Enjoy !

sindrinelvish and rosearialelven looking forward to reading your creations. I think I'll make that homework for the weekend (or hope for a slow day at the office on Friday).

Wow - what diverse interests we have: childhood stories, cooking lessons, creative writing, humanitarian concerns and tales of our misspent youth and vssions of Viggo dancing in our heads. Ain't it great to be middle-aged? We can do it all!

Thanks for the cultural anthropology lesson, rosearialelven. enjoyed the refresher. I would add that, because the veil between the two worlds is thought to be so thin, the Celts used that opportunity for divination. Personally, I favour Rune stones. Love the feel of them in my hands. Tarot cards are OK, too. Have a new appreciation for them since reading a book about the correspondence between Tarot images (in the Major Arcana)and Jung's archetypes. But, I have a healthy appreciation for the ritual of Hallowe'en chocolates, too!!!

[Edited on 22/9/2005 by Neenime]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 02:29
I don't know Swabby did the man ask for directions to the forest?
Awelyn 418
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 03:35
Rofl!! Swabby & Awelyn.

Neenime: You are most welcome.

MTMS: I don't think there is anything wrong with the world ... maybe some of the people in it!! But not the world. All these natural disasters and such are probably just a cycle in dear old Mother Earth's existence. Kind of like PMS. :twitch: And unfortunately, there is diddly squat we mere mortals can do, except pray for those affected.

And Awelyn. We are only on the first series of Lost and I find it fascinating. *hold hands up* No spoilers purleaaase. Lol!!

Scots: Sorry, I missed seeing about your finger. Eouchiouchieouch, ding dangly dang!! That's must have hurt. I usually burn my hand at least once a week, getting stuff out of the oven. But how wonderful about the Howard Shore Concert.

Hugs everyone.
awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 06:28
Rose I was on the edge of my seat the entire time Lost was on last night. It was very good for the first episode. I do like Dom Monaghan's character too
My husband will never ask for directions. I say we are lost and stop and ask for directions. He says we are not lost I will find the way out and 2 hours later I am asking for directions at a gas station. Now I know there has got to be men that have a good sense of direction but not the men I know anyway
Yes, I know Scots 56 is so lucky but she deserves it. She is like me that I never get to go to LOTR things because of my location. So, she deserves it :hug:
Well, I am home for lunch so I'd better eat and get back to work. Have a good day everyone.
Awelyn 418
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 07:50
Well everyone, its nice here today. the temp is 68F, the sky is clear and the birds are singing.

As I promised here are the recipes for biscuits and crustless pumpkin pie:

TEA BISCUIT MIX

15 cups flour
2 1/2 cups of dry milk powder
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup baking powder
3 tbsp salt
2 tbsp cream of tarter
2 lbs of Crisco
Cut in shortening
Mix together until the size of peas.

TEA BISCUIT
3 cups of mix and 2/3 cups of water
fold and knead 10 times. Bake at 450 degrees F for 6 - 7 min.

CHEESE BISCUIT
Mix 3 cups of mix, 1/2 to 1 block of cheese
together before adding 2/3 cup of water

IMPOSSIBLE PUMPKIN PIE

3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 eggs
2 cups of pumpkin
2 tbsp margarine or butter
1 - 13oz can evaporated milk
1/2 cup biscuit mix
2 tsp vanilla

Combine all ingredients and beat for 3 minutes at medium speed. Pour into a well greased 9-inch pie plate and let stand for 3 minutes. Bake at 350F oven until knife comes out clean in center, approximately 50 to 55 minutes. Pie makes it own crust.

This recipe for pumpkin pie is so easy that it will be great for easy baking at Thanksgiving. I use it all the time. Makes for visiting more pleasurable. It also freezes well.

If A man speaks in A Forrest and there are no women there to hear him------- is he still wrong?

swabby: I would like to answer. If there are no women for him to hear then there are other things that would hear him. If he is in the forest, then there are animals and trees (ents) that would hear. Nothing is silent in this world. There is something that is always listening. I'm not a philosopher but I do listen to what is said (most of the time).

It's also a shame that the Gulf has to be hit with another hurricane. My prayers are with all the victims and their families.

Well, I better get some work done. My day off and housework does not do itself.

sindarinelvish: Just read your story and it was fantastic. Brought a tear to my eye at one point. This was great. It will help me with my writing about the elves.

namarie

[Edited on 22/9/2005 by balrog]
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 08:51
The subjects that we have covered recently have indeed been varied, huh neenime? Who knows, we may just be getting wound up.

balrog, old friend, thanks A lot for those recipes! If I ever get me old job back as head butter-cutter and hash-slinger aboard the USS Emptygut, I'll be needin' to cook buscuits for nine hundred! (Just kidding---- I know it's for long-time use)

As for that little joke about men always being wrong, (as determined by the female species) I hope no one was confused by it.

My son Michael and my grandaughter live in Houston and were planning to head north today. I hope they got A very early start. swabby

awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 11:39
Balrog,
I am going to try your recipes especially the pumpkin pie one.
Swabby, I hope everything is ok with your son and granddaughter.
Awelyn 418
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 12:56
I forgot to say in the recipe for the Tea Biscuit that you put the mix into a sealed container (I use an ice cream pail) and can be stored on the shelf for up to 6 weeks.

MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 02:35
You are so right Rose, there is nothing wrong with the world,if people would just let her be. Some of the non-enviromental folks around here are now begining to reconsider this global warming idea the possibility that it may be contributing to the number and power of these latest hurricanes. Then again, it just may be one of those rough periods of weather that this old globe cycles through. I will be praying for those affected by both storms.
swabby I'm praying for your son and granddaughter. I've heard that it's taken an unbelievable amount of time to get out of the infamous hurrican triangle. When I left my small town, I headed out at 3 am to avoid traffic. Did pretty well leaving but returning was a nightmare.
Your recipes sound delicious, balrog. Make me almost want to cook again. I'm so very busy, though. I'm gonna call Saturday my day off and do NOTHING..no housework or churchwork..just being lazy. I may talk myself into watching ROTK and imagining Aragorn in a kilt...but I'm also partial to leather and chain mail.:evil:

MT
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 03:09
How does that saying go? Who needs a knight in shining armor when you can have a Ranger in tight leather pants...:love:

I got a late e-mail from my friend in Houston last night. She has spent the last several weeks coordinating efforts to house and relocate the New Orleans evacuees. She and her DH who works for Shell were loading up the cars with the kids and dogs and heading out to Oklahoma. Fortunately she is a weather nut and had made reservations earlier in the week anticipating Rita so they had a destination. I hope they beat the traffic.

Iavas Veren! everyone. (Joyous Autumn) The equinox has arrived and it's just a matter of time before the leaves are brilliant and the air is crisp, frost is on the pumpkin and the wind is whistling around the eaves.

I love pumpkin pie and the recipe sounds wonderful. Since I'm a middle eater (forget the crust) this sounds perfect.

I have just tossed one of the many hats I wear at school back into the ring for someone else to pick up and I am so happy! (I was the person in charge of investigating and filing grievances for the teachers' association.) WooHoo! :disco:

I hope for those of you along the southern coast a safe haven from the storm.

As Red Skelton (or Skeleton as I called him when I watched the show with my aunt) Good night and God bless.

SE
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 04:40
Iavas Veren!

Ignorance showing here. What language is this? Joyous Autumn. That's just how I feel. Autumn is my absolute favoritest time of year. I don't know why...maybe it has something to do with the fact that I was born in autumn. But I just love the crisp nights, cooler days, and all the colors that abound.

Namárië Á lorë máravë!
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 06:01
Ahoy swabby and all my fellow shipmates of the Good Ship FoF! :wave:

Before I go any further let me give a merry birthday greeting to Bilbo and Frodo Baggins. For all you do, this pint's for you!
:cheers:

Thank you all for your warm greeting following my previous post. Yes, Old Tom's PC suffered a fatal attack of something another and, alas, is no more. But he will live forever in my heart and rest nearly as long on the floor of my den! (Just kidding! I do need to remove some drives to have them transplanted into my PC.)

I know that some of you collect swords, do any of you collect any other LOTR goodies? I post every now in the Collectibles forum, just about the only other place I post on this message board besides this thread. This afternoon I received my Gandalf the Grey statue from Sideshow Collectibles. This is one of the earlier items they created. A short while ago a small number of them became available. I had seen this particular piece at ORC where Sideshow had a huge display and rather liked it. I'm very happy with my purchase.

Thank you all for indulging my passion for hockey. I had just purchased tickets for two Sharks games, one in December and other in January, so my adreneline was pumping a little bit. I played ice hockey the last couple of years I lived in the Bay Area. That was nearly 20 years ago. Maybe one of these days I'll get in shape and start playing again.

Rose, if we ever do form an FoF Hockey Team we'll be sure to make you our enforcer. Grrrr! :angry:

(The "enforcer" is the hockey team's tough guy. It's his job to intimidate players on the other team who have the audacity to mess with the team's star players. These enforcers are the ones with the large penalty minute totals. For example, Dave "Cement Head" Semenko was Wayne Gretzky's protector back during his hey day with the Edmonton Oilers.)

Swabby, you're still cracking me up! (But please, no more rhymes about smashed testicles. Ouch! )
awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 23, 2005 02:54
HI,
Scots56, Old Tom,and Sindarinelvish,
I hate computer trouble. My son is a computer tech. He will help me long distance and he has fixed so many things for me. He gets irritated if I get a virus because I went net surfing. I am very trusting and will open almost anything e-mailed to me. I should say I used to but I am doing better listening to my son's advice. It is not as much fun though.
Well, I am going to see my grandchildren who think I am super woman My grandson and granddaughter (Twins) are having a birthday party. I will be back Sunday. So,have a great weekend. Belated birthday wishes to Frodo and Bilbo.
Awelyn 418 :wave:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 23, 2005 03:32
I wish I was good at learning different languages, but alas, I am not. I used to know A few words and phrases in various languages that were useful to A sailor out on liberty, but I shall not utter them here.

Would any of you like to play A little "movie trivia" game? If so, try and guess who spoke these words and in what movie. (This is to the best of my memory and may not be exact)
"They never did turn me into A toad." and from the same movie, "Do--not--seek--the treasure".

I lived on the Texas gulf coast during hurricanes Allen and Gilbert, and both of them ended up either fizzling out or making landfall in relatively unpopulated areas, so let's hope that happens this time, too. Besides the immense damage and human suffering that could potentialy happen with Rita, the resulting higher gas prices will send many, many Americans to the poorhouse. swabby
<< First1112131415Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email