Register

<< First34567Last >>
Author Topic:
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part III
on: August 10, 2005 07:15
And...if all else fails...well, this may be FIRST on my list...Viggo in that kilt does it for me every time!!

Actually Viggo in pretty much anything (or nothing!) works for me! If you want to try dressing Viggo check out
http://www.paperdollheaven.com/ you may have to download a viewer but it's a lot of fun.

MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2005 03:33
Thanks so much for the encouragement sindarinelvish. After the first 2 days, things have gotten a bit better. I think that kindergarten is always very stressful at the start of the year, because the teachers have so much to do to prepare for them and as well as so much to train them to do to begin a successful school experience. I've been teaching 19 years and love the part about being with the kids- that is, teaching. I don't really like all that other stuff.
I'm sure that some of my co-workers will be wondering why I am smiling all day. I don't think that they will "get it"if I tell them about Viggo in a kilt. I certainly puts a smile on my face!:love:
Thanks for the link, HenriTavaril! It's fun to dress Viggo. I think I've found a new place to spend what little free time I have.
Many thanks, folks. Tomorrow will be a better day, thanks to you. I hope that your day is wonderful!!

MT
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2005 05:52
Quote Thanks for the link, HenriTavaril! It's fun to dress Viggo. I think I've found a new place to spend what little free time I have.

They also have an Orlando Bloom Doll and a Jonny Depp one as well as loads of actresses singers etc. Pitty they didn't give Viggo a Kilt though.....
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2005 04:02
Viggo in anything, or nothing at all would be alright with me.:love: He's my main heart throb.:heart: The kilt would be a great addition to his wardrobe collection.

I must admit that I found myself smiling alot today, thinking of Viggo in a kilt. Too bad no one asked me the reason for my happy face!!!
I'm off to paperdollheaven to dress...and undress Viggo. Wish I had a kilt to put on him!!!

MT
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2005 06:00
Viggo's closet is now a mess...the clothes are all in a heap and I've decided he looks best in just the "Aragorn" hair...is there a way to get rid of those skivvies?

Someone should include a pair of black leather pants and a vest... or maybe some chain mail.....whew!

SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2005 06:52
Viggo's closet is now a mess...the clothes are all in a heap and I've decided he looks best in just the "Aragorn" hair...is there a way to get rid of those skivvies?

Someone should include a pair of black leather pants and a vest... or maybe some chain mail.....whew!

I don't think it is that kind of site (Pity) Thinking about Viggo always puts a smile on my face; actually thinking about any of the cute guys in LOTR puts a smile on my face. Maybe we should start a campaign to get Viggo in a kilt..anyone got his address?

Regards

HT
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2005 05:48
hmmmm....
Viggo in black leather pants, vest and chain mail.:love:

Viggo in a kilt.:love:

Couldn't go wrong with either choice.

Put me on the campaign trail to have Viggo in a kilt. I'll certainly vote for that!!

MT

awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: August 14, 2005 04:53
Hi every one.
I just find this site last week and I just love it. It is so nice to have mature people to talk to about Tolkien. My children and husband do not understand my obsession with the books and the LOTR movies. I think I may have found people who understand in this room.
So, I just wanted to say Hello mellons.
Awelyn418:heart:
awelyn418
Send Message
on: August 14, 2005 05:07
Celebrian,
I to feel that about Tolkien and his book.
I had saw all three movies before I read any of Tolkien's books. I enjoyed the books so much more than the movies I might add. I tell any one that is indignant over the differences that the movies are based on the books and any movie that is based on the books just takes artistic license. So, I was not bothered by the movies at all.
Awelyn418
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2005 02:02
My children and husband do not understand my obsession with the books and the LOTR movies. I think I may have found people who understand in this room.

:wave: Aiya, awylyn418!
Welcome to the Fans Over Forty thread! It is so nice to have grown-ups to talk to about LotR. I've been reading and studying Tolkien since the mid-70s and thought I was reasonably literate on the subject. Wrong! It's so great here because there are so many people so much more knowledgable than I am that I can learn from.

I so understand the obsession part. My son is a real fan of LotR, but not nearly so much as I am. As for the spousal unit...he rolls his eyes a bit, then smiles knowing it means so much to me. :love: He can't say a whole lot though....he's just as bad about Star Wars. You should see the room devoted to it!!!
awelyn418
Send Message
on: August 15, 2005 03:05
Hello Scots56,
My husband is obsessed with hunting. So, he really doesn't understand my obsession. I mention at work today about Tolkien and how I just love his work. I got polite smiles and how nice.
I wanted to shout how nice,the man is a genius. The school year has just started I will win them over yet
How is your son? Did he have a good birthday?
I have 2 bassets and 1 is whining wanting attention. I think basets would be good hobbit dogs because they are so low to the ground. I'd better go she is driving me crazy.
Bye,Awelyn418
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2005 08:23
MelianAnoriel wrote:
Ol' Tom, I've been peakin at the LOTR Costume Gather website and the San Francisco Bay area costume guild is doing a Rivendell recreation & dinner in October. My guess is that you and River Woman will be taking part?
We will be attending a picnic in San Francisco on Oct 1st, but I don't know about a Rivendell recreation. I just did a websearch and found The Greater San Francisco Bay Area Costumer's Guild. On their calendar I see that they're having a Lord of the Rings Feast on Oct 8th. I definitely have to look into that!

Goldberry is the River-daughter, btw. The River-woman is my mother-in-law.

..There his beard dangled long down into the water:
up came Goldberry, the River-woman's daughter;
pulled Tom's hanging hair. In he went a-wallowing
under the water-lilies, bubbling and a-swallowing...

[Edited on 8/16/2005 by Old_Tom_Bombadil]
RiverWoman
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2005 05:01
That's right, Old Tom! Don't go getting me confused with my young daughter!
chreotha
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2005 06:25
WOW! real grown ups! I was starting to wonder where they all were. Good to see there's more than just teenaged movie fans here. Hello everyone!
awelyn418
Send Message
on: August 19, 2005 11:44
NenyaGold wanted me to post this so here goes,
This summer I was at my son's house for vacation and his 5 year old and 2 year were watching FOTR and I said I want to read the triolgy but I never have but I am when I get home. My son said no mom read this first. He let me read his copy of the Hobbit. I was hooked. I started reading FOTR and bought the triolgy when I got home.I am obsessed and I bought the movies but I am devoted to the books.I am so sad when I finish the books that I wait a week or two and start reading them again. The books are good friends. I love the pure love throughout the books. The love of life and the wisdom.I get so caught up that when Sam was fighting Shelob I was off the couch shouting go Sam go. My dogs started barking,my cat ran out of the room,and my family
came running and I had to explain why all the shouting.
Needless to say they looked at me like I was crazy. Now do you believe that? You all understand I am sure.:heart:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2005 11:56
Welcome, chreotha! Hmmmm, grown-ups. Well, in years maybe...

awelyn418,
I so relate to that! When Frodo leaves for the West, tears just roll. The spousal unit looks at me and says, "You've read that book at *least* 30 times, why do you still get emotional?" Some poor souls just never understand. I'm glad I found people who do. It is a blessing.
awelyn418
Send Message
on: August 19, 2005 12:11
Hi Chreotha,
Yes isn't it great. Welcome! There are great people here.
Awelyn 418 :wave:
awelyn418
Send Message
on: August 19, 2005 12:16
Hi there Scots56. I knew you would understand. By the way How does your kitchen look?
The books are great and I cry everytime at the end of movie. The acting is so great and I get so emotional. :cry:
Awelyn418
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2005 05:28
WOW! real grown ups! I was starting to wonder where they all were.
Where? Where?

but seriously...

Welcome to FoF, chreotha! :wave:

Hello, awelyn418! :wave:

Forgive my pedantry for a moment, but please know that The Lord of the Rings isn't a trilogy. It's a single novel in three volumes.
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2005 11:29
:wave: Hi creotha and welcome to the eternally young club.

I love the books and the films, but find it difficult to read or watch them as I need boxes of tissues. I only have to read a part of a chapter or a scene from the films and I blubber. Lol!! Like you, I read the Hobbit first. Now that book I can handle. My favourite character is Sam. *sigh* My hero!! Why Sean didn't get an oscar, I don't know. :dizzy:

Re: Trilogy - No problem Old Tom. You are right. *Ahem* clears throat As defined by 'Answers.com'

'Lord of the Rings'
'Although initially published in three volumes, The Lord of the Rings is actually a single work. Tolkien himself divided the novel into six books plus five appendices in keeping with the literary device wherein Tolkien pretends to have "discovered" Middle-earth and to be describing it as befits a scholar of linguistics and ancient history. Ironically, in the 1960s when it burst into worldwide popularity, fans dubbed it "the trilogy" (or even the trilogy). It is also available in both one-volume and seven-volume editions.'

Ooh, I love pendantry.

The weather here is very pleasant at the moment in the UK.

Lucky you Tom, having so much going on in the US. My friend and I are going to 'The Fellowship' event in Wembley next weekend. Sadly only for one day. There are some very interesting guests lined up and Royd Tolkien is going to be there. Not as a guest, just to mingle with everyone and be part of it all.

Keep well everyone :hug:
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: August 20, 2005 11:15
awelyn418 wrote:

NenyaGold wanted me to post this so here goes,

Yay! I see you *did* post that here! I knew you'd find some empathy! Welcome to the FoF!

chreotha ~ Grown up??? Nah, we're just a bit older than a lot of people on the site. I'm NEVER growing up! Welcome to the FoF!

HeriTavaril ~ Thank you for the dressing Viggo link! I had a good laugh. (By the way, ladies, Johnny Depp is wearing the skivies... *sigh*)

Old Tom ~ I knew that there were six books but we always called it The Trilogy. And when you said "The Trilogy" everyone knew exactly what books you were talking about! Funny though, never making that connection that it *wasn't* a trilogy.

Rose ~ I LOVE pedantry too! Thank you for the info about why Tolkien structured the Lord of the Rings (I was going to say "The Trilogy"... ) as he did. I never knew that...

The weather here in the Bay Area is absolutely stunning! (sorry to brag, but it's the truth! LOL) I went riding today with my sis-in-law through what we figure is the part of the Greenwood (Mirkwood) that lies to the north of the Old Forest Road. Paths lines with huge Redwood Trees, filtered morning sunlight, and no one else around. It was pure magic.

Sammi the Awesome Ride

Where we rode...

Those were from two years ago, but they'll do.

scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2005 12:30
Goldie! Welcome back. It's been a long time since I've seen you about. :hug: I hope all is well with you.

It's H-O-T here in the midwest. Muggy too. But what can you expect??? It's August.

Tomorrow is my last day of "vacation." Notice the quotes. I don't think I had much of a vacation this summer. I didn't even have the time to watch the three LotR movies like I had planned. :cry::cry::cry: Or get to dive into learning Queyna. The kitchen overtook my life as did the garden, helping out my mom, taking graduate classes, doing assessment work for school, and on and on and on. Oh, well. Maybe someday my life will slow down. Yeah, like that's going to happen.

I hope all of you have a wonderful weekend.
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2005 04:30
Mae Govannen, Croetha.

Hhhmmmm, grown up? Nope, just older and perhaps wiser.

Scots56, I'm back on Tuesday...where did the summer go? :cry:

I too did not get as far as I wanted in my Elvish (Sindarin, of course for me. ) I didn't get the "single volume" trilogy read again as I wanted and I'm still hanging with Feanor in The Sil. (Some day I'll finish that!) My garden would make Sam weep.

By the way, FOTR is on TNT tonight...I watched as far as the Council and had to come upstairs. (I really only watched to see Aragorn at the PP. :love: )

Today I got a Yankee Candle autumn catalog and realized my favorite time of year is almost here! Nearly time for seeing your breath in the morning air and frost on the pumpkin! (Or as I tell my cat when he is too anxious to go out on those mornings: frost on the kitty tail!)

Anyone in the Midwest going to Indianapolis to see the LOTR exhibit? I think OSU has a bye week in early October so I can pull the DH away from "the game" and we will go then.

SE
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2005 05:21
Hi gals.

Welcome Newbies. Us getting Old? I'm not old, I still watch cartoons.

As for The Lord of the Rings: I considered them a 'Trilogy' until I seen the movies. Now I think of them as one novel.

The weather up here is very nice in Canada. Mid 60's during the day but chilly at night. Have to but blanket up to the chin.

I wish I was going to Indianapolis. I would love to see the exhibit.

Nice to see you Goldie. Been sooo looong since we heard from you. :hug:

I just finished putting a home made box around my EE of The Lord of the Rings. Turned out great. I also put boxes around each of the books I received from ebay. They are the second edition of 1978. They are a great set. These will never get read. I put the boxes around the books because of dust.

Well got to go. I just got home from work and I'm going to watch "Sargeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" staring The BeeGees and Peter Frampton. Just picked it up at the store.

So talk to you all later.

bye :wave:
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: August 20, 2005 05:33
Aiya scots and balrog! :heart: Yeah, well, I have no excuses ~ except "where did the summer go?" and I'm not even a teacher!

sindarinelvish ~ I caught FotR on TNT here last night - I think that Aragorn's introduction into the movie has to be one of THE BEST character intro's ever! I watched until Elrond declared them "The Fellowship of the Ring" and what I noticed is that I miss the extended versions - although some of the scenes in the original are a bit different than in the EE.

I am waiting for the exhibit to come to California. How can it not??? *When* it does, I'll be first in line several times. I so wish we could take photographs though. Even the traveling Smithsonion lets you take photos...

Enjoy the chocolate!

MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2005 03:29
Greetings Chreqtha and Awelyn418!
So glad that you have joined this fellowship of older fans of Tolkiens and his works. We do have a different "take" on things than the younger folk, which probably comes from our experiences rather than our maturity.
My husband respects my obsession but doesn't share it. He fishes instead. That arrangement has work well for the both of us.
I've made it through the first 8 days of school in kindergarten and I have been soo very tired at the end of each day. The ac goes out in the afternoon, which further saps my waning strength. The heat index is 115, so the fans just blow the hot air around.:evil:
Hope that your begining of school goes well scots56 and sindarinelvish . I also watched FOTR, to watch Aragorn. Yes, I'm an Aragorn fancier.:heart: The man makes my heart skip a beat and chills run up and down my spine. Now does that sound like something that would happen to a "mature woman of many years"?
I have tickets to the LOTR exhibit in Indianapolis on Nov. 12. I'll be driving from LA (lower Alabama) and meeting some friends from another site (we're the Middle Aged Crazies) to go together. Can't wait!! We also have tickets to see ROTK which will be shown in the IMAX theatre. Be still, my heart and bring the large box of tissues. Indianapolis may never be the same.

MT
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2005 06:16
School begins tomorrow, and with it comes bittersweet feelings. It's looking like this is truly going to be the last year for our "Little House on the Prairie--with computers". The State is going to have its way and consolidate everything it can...quality be damned. Oh, well, change happens to the best of us. But fortunately for me, we have a/c that works wonderfully well. I was out yesterday putting the finishing touches on my lesson plans, and was very comfortable although it was hot and muggy outside. Now, only if I didn't have to do recess duty!

I caught FotR Friday night too! I have to agree that Aragorn is mighty fine. When I saw the film for the first time, I was amazed at how much he looked like what had been my mental image. Viggo portrayed the "ranger-ness" of Aragorn as well as his kingliness to a "t". While I didn't agree with some of what PJ did, on the whole I feel it's an excellent compliment to the books.

My sister is trying to get tickets to Howard Shores' LotR concert in Denver, Colorado next May. I haven't heard whether or not she got them. Must go call to see if she did. I'm hoping that it comes to pass. The cool LotR things are too far away for me to see, and nothing of note seems to come to Nebraska. :cry:

Blessings of the Valar to you all.
awelyn418
Send Message
on: August 21, 2005 06:52
Scots 56 I am so sorry I was rooting for your school. It is so sad that a piece of your history will be gone. I agree about the quality. The program with my school is called Parents As Teachers and I am one of the parent educators. When I first started with the program it was about quality and now they just worry about the numbers. I have a quota that I am suppose to meet. It drives me crazy :rolling:
Old Tom Bombadil yes you are right. I stand corrected Yes NenyaGold I did post my story. Hi and how are you? This is such a great place to talk It is very hot here in Mo. Yesterday the heat index was 110. I do alot of traveling and I am in and out of the heat so I am looking forward to Autumn time which is my favorite time of the year. I am also looking forward to gas prices going down or petrol to my UK friends. Sometimes I think the Amish have the right idea.
Have a great day.
Awelyn418:heart:
chreotha
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2005 08:14
thanx for the welcome everyone.
I just LOVE to read. I need to spend more time on 'The Sillmarillion' Ive only read it once and I really need to study it to really comprehend it all. Just as soon as I finish 'sharpe's eagle' (sigh) that Richard Sharpe is THE man,
which reminds me... whats up with all these ladies and thier :love: for Viggo? Sure he's a cutie but what about BOROMIR? How can you not fall for a guy with such a fatal flaw? My hubby's so understanding, he had dyslexia as a child and now hates to read, but has really enjoyed borrowing books on tape and cd from the library, and of course if a book has been made into a killer movie then he's all into hearing the subtle differences between movie and book when we watch them.
what is this LOTR concert and where did you all hear about it? any ideas if it would be coming east?
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2005 09:20
Greetings to all you well-seasoned LotR fans. I apologize for my lack of computor savvy and inability to move about in this online world with ease. That alone should be proof of my vintage. How wonderful I've thought it would be if we could just "trade in" some of our now useless knowledge, like how to repair 8-track tapes or adjust the points on A '68 Norton, for something with current applicability. "Yes, I'll give you my knowledge on how to make artery-clogging foods, such as bacon grease gravy and cheese-biscuits, plus five bucks, if you'll endow me with the ability to download music from the internet".
Seriously, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not at all like I imagined I would be at this age. Like Balrog, I still watch cartoons. I'll take honest silliness over dishonest seriousness any day. My mind doesn't seem to realize that it is encased in A 57 year-old body. I'm sure some of my peers can't understand my fascination with A fantasy story like "The Lord of the Rings", and I can't understand why anyone wouldn't be smitten by it. Maybe some of us have held on to some part of our youth that others lost or discarded. When I was seven, I thought Bugs Bunny looked so cozy and comfy in his burrow, and I wanted to get in there with him. Now, 50 years later, I want to go live in the Shire, in A different underground dwelling. What's with that?
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2005 03:44
Welcome swabby! I relate to all that you shared. If those folks my age "don't get" the reason I love Tolkien's works, it's their loss. I feel that I am a much better person for having them a part of my life. Yes, LOTR, the Silmarillion and some of the other works have become a part of the person I am today.
Good luck with the first day of school, scots56. I have a Get the Facts night this week. I wish that I could spend my time being with the children and not having to do all this other stuff that takes my energy and time away. I know that is radical thinking, but I am a radical about kids.
Hoping that each one of you has a good Monday.

MT
awelyn418
Send Message
on: August 21, 2005 04:09
Greetings Swabby,
I am a novice when it comes to Tolkien. I do remember when my children were small on a educational channel they watched an animated version of the Hobbit so I was a fan even then. Well
welcome and I to feel that I thought I would feel diffeent at 53 too.Strange . well goodnight.
Awelyn418
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2005 04:15
Oh Nenya, sorry! The exhibit's last stop is Indy before it goes back to NZ for good.

I envy those of you with a/c classrooms. We have none so I am busily scanning the Weather Channel to check the daily temps. for Wed., Thurs., and Fri. and praying to the weather gods to keep the thermometer under 85.

One more day of freedom!
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2005 04:26
Greetings, Swabby! The more you work at the computer, the more literate you become. Take it from me, I'm a prime example. Of course, there are times that I just know enough to be dangerous.

:disco: :rolling: :cheers: Woo!! Hoo!! I just found out that my dear sister got us tickets for Howard Shore's LotR concert in Denver! I am soooo excited. Now I can hardly wait for May....and not only because school gets out. rofl
LadyCeleborn
Palantir Mod, Guardian of Ulmo's Realm & Resident Eomer Fancier
Send Message
on: August 22, 2005 02:34
:wave: Hello fellow not-ever growing up adults! It's been a very long, long time since I ventured into here. It is such a pleasure to read all of your posts. It's like coming home. You just feel very comfortable in here because everyone understands your feelings for LOTR...:love:

I too am going to Indy for the LOTR exhibit. I saw it in Boston last year and this was a chance to see it just one more time before it left for NZ. Another CoE member is flying up to my state of Tennessee and then we will drive up to Indy the weekend of Nov 18th to see it and the movies in the IMAX theaters. Goldey, you could always come to Tennessee and go with Naurlas and I or just meet us there....
Woo!! Hoo!! I just found out that my dear sister got us tickets for Howard Shore's LotR concert in Denver
I want to go too. How exciting! My husbands family lives in Denver and we're going to be there in May for his son's graduation. *scrambles for phone book* Where's the number?...LOL

It is very HOT in Tennessee. The temps have been running 98 to 100 every day. Add the blessed humidity to it and its just awful. You walk outside to your car and you swear your just melting. I'm so looking forward to fall when it's just cool enough to open the windows and let fresh air into the house.

Have a good Monday everyone!
<< First34567Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email