Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
VendeaErunyauve
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part III
on: May 23, 2005 05:31
I like the idea of the Gathering being in Tennessee, VendeaEruyauve!

We aim to please!
RiverWoman
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2005 04:54
Hello new thread!

I haven't seen the new movie yet either - I can't really deal with crowds anymore. I may go see Kingdom of Heaven or Hitchhikler's guide this weekend, and then Star Wars in another week.

Tomorrow is my oldest son't last full day of school before finals, the younger 2 have another 2 weeks to go. I love summer break! I hate making them do homework and go to bed early and all that nonsense. Yeay summer break!
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2005 02:57
Only 1 1/2 days of school left!!! Happy,happy! Joy,joy!!

The air-conditioning at school went out for most of the day. The temp in my classroom was 92 (F). By afternoon it was supposedly fixed, but we never felt cool. Ceiling fans just blew the hot air around. Maybe God is trying to tell us that school should be over by May 20 in the deep (and hot) southern US.
If I were a brave woman, I'd wear my bathing suit to school tomorrow just in case.

MT
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2005 10:25
In the previous millennium we went to school from September to early June. Now they start in August which seems to me the very worst part of Southern summer. It isn't always this hot in May but it IS in August!
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2005 10:41
I would like to say hi :wave: to all the newbies again.

It's also great to see a tirid thread started. YAHOOOO :disco: :rolling: :love: :cheers:

hobitnamedeliza: I did not see the lions because I went to see Sue, the T-rex that was celebrating her 5th birthday. She is a sight to see.

As for Rivka: That's alright. I forgive you not being over 40. It is great to aways hear from the head oligarch. I for one like it when you peek in and see what's up. I also agree with you rivka about this site being listed at Gatherings. It's nice to know that these parties are looking into sites of Tolkien.

Just to let you all know that there is a show on Bravo called Lord of the Brush. It's about John Howe and his artwork that he did through the years. It's on June 19 on Bravo at 8 pm eastern/5 pm pacific. I found this out on theonering.net.

I hope that everyone has a good weekend and everyone is healthy.

nàmarie

[Edited on 25/5/2005 by balrog]
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2005 03:39
Thanks, balrog, for the info on the Lord of the Brush take on John Howe. I've put it on my calendar and am looking forward to seeing it. I'll be back from my visit to the Netherlands to see my son, daughter-in-law and precious grandsons. Life is good!!

MT
hobbitnamedeliza
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2005 05:02
Hi, all. Well, winding down schooling here for the summer...My son and I (I home school) My daughter has some summer working she's going to do because she does her courses by correspondence.

I'm looking forward to summer. My sister and I are going on a car trip from here (Florida USA) to New York. There's a speaker there she wants to hear, and I thought it'd be a nice opportunity to spend some time together.

Has anyone ever been to the EWTN place in Alabama? That's one place we want to stop. I wouldn't mind some advice on how hard it is to get to and how much time we should allow to see stuff there.

Hope everyone's day was a great one!
MelianAnoriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2005 09:49
I am having issues trying to post. My compy doesn't seem to want me to.
I am recuperating from the torn bicep tendon, physical therapy is working wonders. I was able to watch some movies as I lay about... the Dune series... I had to watch them a couple of times to really "get it". Didn't read the books.
I am back to work... both jobs... I kind of liked hanging about a bit.
Hello to all the newbies ! :wave: Have a great time !
Have to run... this is the third post in the last few minutes...if this doesn't take.. then I give up.
Have a great Memorial Day folks..... it is a great time to spend with family.
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2005 03:49
Look MT, don't rub it in that you have only 1/2 day left because I still have 4 class days and three exam days...will this year ever end! :cry: Isn't it amazing that the most patient, Elf-like teachers turn into red-eyed, snarling Orcs this time of year? :evil:

The Witch-king of Agmar has nothing on me when one of my goofy ninth grade boys completely forgets his year-long training and decides he needs to jump up and look out the window because he hears a truck backing up.

I just want to hang out at home, write, drink coffee, and be lazy. I DON'T want to grade another essay. I'm not sure I taught anything this year. :banghead:

Anyone ever kill anything with Round-up before? I have a patio garden I want to do landscaping on but I need to get rid of the waist-high weeds first. Can I just spritz them and they will be brown and collapsed tomorrow? (Yeah, what fantasy world do I live in?) What I need is a powerful elf-lord, or maybe a wizard with a spell, or...oh, that's it! A Ranger in a KILT!!!!

Have a great Memorial Day weeked!

SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2005 04:06
Has anyone ever been to the EWTN place in Alabama? That's one place we want to stop. I wouldn't mind some advice on how hard it is to get to and how much time we should allow to see stuff there.

Hope everyone's day was a great one!

I'm embarrassed to say I don't know what EWTN means. I might be able to get some info on it if you'll 'splain it to me.
VendeaErunyauve
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2005 06:07
Hey Lucy...er...Cele... you got some splainin' to do!
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2005 01:35
Anyone ever kill anything with Round-up before? I have a patio garden I want to do landscaping on but I need to get rid of the waist-high weeds first. Can I just spritz them and they will be brown and collapsed tomorrow? (Yeah, what fantasy world do I live in?) What I need is a powerful elf-lord, or maybe a wizard with a spell, or...oh, that's it! A Ranger in a KILT!!!!

I've used Round-Up (farm girl in another life here) and it's quite effective. What you need to be aware of is that it will kill everything it will touch. So, a word to the wise, only spray it on a calm day. If it's windy, it'll kill anything it touches, even the neighbors lawn. If all else fails, try the Ranger in a kilt. If THAT works, give me a call and I'll come over to see it posthaste.

Hey Lucy...er...Cele... you got some splainin' to do!

'Splain to me too.

Look MT, don't rub it in that you have only 1/2 day left because I still have 4 class days and three exam days...will this year ever end! Isn't it amazing that the most patient, Elf-like teachers turn into red-eyed, snarling Orcs this time of year?

Then I won't say anything about the fact that school has been over for me since the 13th. But I do heartily agree about turning into red-eyed, snarling Orcs this time of year. I was ranting to the spousal unit the last week of school; he looked at me calmly and said, "You know, you get like this EVERY year at this time don't you?" Stopped me in my tracks that did. :blush: But I'm all better now. Too bad I have weeks worth of classes and workshops on my "time off".
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2005 03:48
Just popping in very quickly while I am work. *shakes head ~ naughty!!*

Seen the new SW film I have. Impressed most was I, yes. *leans on stick* Most disappointed people will be, who do not go to see it. *Clears throat, errrm, what...who...where*

Sorry, seemed to be taken over by another presence then. Lol

But really, everyone, you should go and see the film. It's wonderful. Just perhaps one little tiny, winy, critique.....Ewan McGregor was just the slightest bit wooden in his acting. I think he tried too hard to be Alec Guinness and it didn't come off.

As far as conventions are concerned I give up. :twitch:

My friend and I went to one in Manchester last year and whilst the guests were wonderful, they weren't the main stars. So we thought we would try for the Fellowship of the Ring at Wembley, London. *They* had main stars last year...... Oh, really!! The One Ring jas decide to hold theirs on the same weekend. Sheesh!! Lol.

Not in anyway complaining, mind you. Stuff happens. And I know that Tolkien is the main reason for anything LotR, but if you are going to a Convention that is dedicated also to the stars of the film, etc, it is nice to see a good selection. *Is that me moaning some ~ sorry if it is. Lol* So it's back to good old Craig and Mark, and orcs and elves.

Mind you, I would mind Craig sitting on my mantlepiece. :love:

Anyway, must toddle. Hugs to everyone and be back soon. :wave:
VendeaErunyauve
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 06:00
Hey! Are there any other "Andy Griffith Show" fans here in the over 40 crowd? If so, feel free to pop into my new club here at http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Clubs&file=index&action=ViewClub&clid=39 :love:
faramirgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 07:54
I hope that everyone has a wonderful and beautiful holiday. And that eveyone remembers our troops, and those who has dead for our freedom.

Some Gave All
(Billy Ray Cyrus/Cindy Cyrus)

I knew a man called him Sandy Kane
Few folks even knew his name
But a hero was he
Left a boy, came back a man
Still many just don't understand
About the reasons we are free

I can't forget the look in his eyes
Or the tears he cries
As he said these words to me

All gave some and some gave all
And some stood through for the red, white and blue
And some had to fall
And if you ever think of me
Think of all your liberties and recall
Some gave all

Now Sandy Kane is no longer here
But his words are oh so clear
As they echo through out our land
For all his friends who gave us all
Who stood the ground and took the fall
To help their fellow man

Love your country and live with pride
And don't forget those who died America can't you see

All gave some and some gave all
And some stood through for the red, white and blue
And some had to fall
Think of all your liberties and recall
Some gave all

Think of all your liberties and recall, yes recall
Some gave all

Some gave all
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: May 29, 2005 12:14
I saw Ep. III yesterday, and my review could be put just in a few words: It was very much like I expected. It kept me focused from the beginning to the end; there were no great moments, but no "what the...?" moments either. Definitely the best of the prequels, but missed the magic of the OT.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2005 10:33
Although I am a native Alabamaian, I don't know where EWTN is located. For those who don't know, EWTN is a religious broadcast network. I watch some of it's shows occasionally. I believe it is in the northern part of the state, where I am located about as far south as one can go....on the coast. Where in FL do you live, hobbitnamedeliza? My son lives in Pensacola which is very close to me. I love that town, even though it's still got alot of "fixin' up" to do after hurricane Ivan.

Hope you're out of the school craziness mode, Sindarinelvish!! It's a time of year when both students and teachers go a little insane. Tuesday will be my first official day off and begining of summer vacation and I plan to...go shopping! I'll soon be going to visit my son and his family in Europe and I have to get things that I need for the trip.
I don't know how the weeds would take it, but Viggo in a kilt would have me melted in a puddle. :drool: Send him my way if it works. The heck with the weeds, I haven't melted in a while.

Tribute given for those who have given their lives for our country. Thanks to the service men and women on this Memorial day!!!

MT
VendeaErunyauve
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2005 06:26
:heart: Happy Memorial Day :heart: everyone. Take a moment to remember those brave soldiers lost in combat as well as their families.

To tie it in to LOTR, also think abot those brave soldiers in LOTR who were lost to war..
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2005 11:57
Seven days and counting....I'm rid of my senior homeroom at least! My freshmen are panicking like a flock of sheep with a wolf amongst them. "Whaddaya mean, I might not get credit for English...and algebra...and American Studies!!! Is there any extra credit????":cry:

Regarding my weeds: I did get an elf-lord at least with a shining sword! It was my DH with a weed whip. :love: He is going to vanquish the evil, orkish weeds for me and I will dance in my new garden like Luthien Tinuviel...or at least like the hippos from FANTASIA.

Off to pay the June bills...hope your week started well!
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2005 01:52
He is going to vanquish the evil, orkish weeds for me and I will dance in my new garden like Luthien Tinuviel...or at least like the hippos from FANTASIA.
Ah ha! I thought I heard strains of Ponchielli's "Dance of the Flowers" coming from this thread!

I was vanquishing some blades of grass this morning myself, as well as evicting a few spiders from the webby homes they'd made under the eaves of my house. (Unlike Bag End, Old Tom's cottage does have eaves. )

'...It's been some time since I last heard the sound of your shears. How long have you been eavesdropping?'

Eavesdropping, sir? I don't follow you, begging your pardon. Their ain't no eaves at Bag End, and that's a fact.'

In a couple of hours Old Tom and Goldberry will be dining on oven-roasted pork ribs (with that spice rub I gave the recipe for earlier), corn on the cob, and baked beans. Yum!

It was pleasantly cool in these parts the past couple days, but it's warmed up today and is supposed to be 90ºF the rest of the week. (That’s 32.2 ºC for you folks outside the U.S.) I may have to stock up on some ale…strictly for maintaining a healthy body temperature, mind you.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: May 30, 2005 04:05
Ponchielli's? Um... I thought that was Tchiakovsky. Heh... Well, we were extremely lazy all weekend. Sat at the computers and played games (Morrowind for me and hubby, Warcraft III online and Neverwinter Nights for the son). Was nice to just not really do anything. And it's been cool here, too, Tom. Rather unusual for this time of year in San Diego.
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: May 30, 2005 04:19
If we're talking Swan Lake's Dance of the Flowers, then yeah, it's Tchaikovsky. He's my favorite composer, and his Piano Concerto No. 1 in B Flat Major rocks the casbah. I love the waltz from Sleeping Beauty, too.

Didn't Ponchielli do Dance of the Hours, though? In La Gioconda? It's been a while since I've seen the first Fantasia, but I'm pretty sure that's what they play during the dancing Hippo scene...

We went to the beach today, and then had hotdogs and stuff back home. It was a nice day, but I'm pretty tired.

I've decided that I may not be over 40 in age, but sometimes it's nice to talk to some people that are mature, intelligent, and able to write without using internet lingo, so I'm going to pop in here occasionally
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: May 30, 2005 04:44
Yes, Ponchielli's Dance of the Hours was indeed the hippos in Fantasia. Heh... But yeah, Dance of the Flowers was actually in Nutcracker and was a part of Fantasia as well. Very abstract with milkweed thistle as the dancer. Just as an old ballet dancer and Disney fan. LOL
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: May 30, 2005 04:50
You're right, it is Nutcracker, not Swan Lake. Have you ever seen either on stage? I'd very much like to, but my husband really isn't into ballet. I'm lucky if I can drag him to an opera now and then.
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2005 04:58
Oops! I meant "Dance of the Hours".

Sorry for the confusion. :blush:
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: May 30, 2005 05:37
No problem, Tom.

Riv, I've not only seen them, I've danced them! I lovew the music. But yeah, I have the same problem. The spousal unit does NOT like any sort of opera or ballet really.
hobbitnamedeliza
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2005 07:24
Sorry I'm so late getting back here to check...

As someone already said EWTN is the Eternal World Network. My sister's a big fan and wants to take the tour. I'll get it figured out eventually....I just asked on a whim, really.

I'm in Gainesville, FL. Have been for about 3 years now. I miss NY like crazy, but, "Hey, whatcha gonna do?" I'll just have to endure here for a while yet.

Rivka, you should definitely see the nutcracker...and bring a kid; it's purely magical for them. I took our daughter when she was six; and went again in a party of friends with my friends four-year-old...they were captivated!
morwenna
News Admin and Taste Tester for LHH
Send Message
on: May 31, 2005 02:48
I’m a big fan of the ballet and have seen both Nutcracker (several times) and Swan Lake - Rivka if you get a chance do go along to see them even if you have to go by yourself! If you are anything like me take plenty of hankies to Swan Lake.

Other ballets I have seen and really enjoyed are:

Romeo and Juliet (music by Prokofiev) - Dance Of The Knights, what a great piece of music, sends shudders down my spine. La Bayadere (music by Minkus).

One of the delights of seeing ballet for me is seeing how the different dancers/companies put their own interpretation on the piece.
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: May 31, 2005 08:33
There are surprisingly many ballet enthusiasts here. I used to dance as a hobby in my twenties - ballet, jazz, modern, and afro - and, as I got cheap student tickets to the National Opera, I saw quite many ballets on stage. The best known, like Swan Lake, the Nutcracker, and such, were always sold out though, but I caught about everything else that was performed.
Istarnie
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2005 08:45
Haven't been here for ages.. :blush: ..just catching up again. The ballet! I love the Nutcracker and Swan Lake...but I am not a general ballet enthusiast. I love the music, however. Husband has no time for ballet whatsoever!!!!! :dizzy:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2005 11:42
My hubby doesn't "do" ballet either. When I go, I do so with my girlfriends.

I'm glad that your knight vanquished the orcish weeds that were attacking your yard, Sandarianelvish. You may have had to light some beacons to summon the kilted rangers to handle the matter.

Can't believe that I've been out of school for 4 days and haven't made to the beach yet!!! It's been raining ,hard and frequently. Perhaps I can get myself down there soon. My soul needs to be renourished by the sand, salty water and sea spray.

Gainesville not to your liking,hobbitnamedeliza? I enjoy living "almost" in the panhandle. It suits me just right. Like a hobbit in the Shire, I am. I hope that before long you will be able to be in a place that suits you best

Tomorrow is hubby and my 29th anniversary. No big celebration here and now. We're post-poning our merry making until our weekend in Paris 9 days later. Paris, champagne, summer...ooh laa laaa!!!

MT
hobbitnamedeliza
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2005 06:37
MinasTirithMS, I've been trying to love Florida...well, I'm getting there, I guess! lol Home is where the heart is, though, and so much of my family is still in the Northeast--and that's where I was raised...so, it's been an adjustment. I haven't been to the panhandle yet, though. I want to see the panhandle, the Everglades, and Key West. I've got to get the DH fired up to make the trip sometime soon or not only will I be able to say "I lived in NY all my life and never even saw the Statue of Liberty," I'll be able to make similar claims about Florida!

Oh, Happy Anniversary, too! And the Bonnyest Bon Voyage! Europe is ANOTHER trip I'm trying to get my DH interested in!

[Edited on 1/6/2005 by hobbitnamedeliza]
delerithoflorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2005 05:10
Happy Anniversary MinasTirithMS, hope you both have a lovely day and when the time comes enjoy your trip to Paris. :cheers:

I have never been to Paris but some of my friends have went to celebrate their wedding anniversaries and say it really is the city of romance.

Delerith
Even the smallest person can change the course of history.
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: June 01, 2005 05:25
I hope you enjoy your anniversary in Paris, MTMS! My oldest brother is celebrating his 59th birthday there beginning today. Yeah, the head of the Baby Boomers all turn 59 this year, including my husband in 5 days, and I STILL don't know what to get him...

I was in Paris in 1975 and found it much to my dislike after seeing southern Germany and Switzerland. I realized then that my heart lies in the great outdoors and not in Cities.

But my brother and his wife have been to Paris several times in the last few years and obviously love it. Such diversity even in a small family.

On another note, the discussion about Opera and Ballet made me wonder if any of you see live theatre. Like most of you, my husband doesn't do those kind of things so I go with my Mom and this year we went to three different theatres in our area (Santa Clara Valley in California) and saw 20 shows! Yes, we're addicted!

To me, even bad live theatre is better than most TV, because you are involved and can feel the emotions of not only the actors but the rest of the audience. But in the 20 years of 200 shows, we've walked out on only three. I wonder how many TV shows I've walked out on...
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2005 03:59
:wave: Hi all. :love:

Yes, NenyaGold, I'm one of the Baby Boomers. Lol. January was my turning the corner and heading for the big 60.

Paris is not a City I have visited, being very much a home bird, nor is it one I would have at the top of any Must See Cities. I have been to Austria and found Strasberg beautiful.

Live theatre is the only way to fly, NenyaGold. I remember taking my friend to see a live show. She had never been to the theatre before and was wowed!! Lol!! One of my favourites is 'Joseph and The Technicolour Dreamcoat' and of course we have pantomime over here in the UK, which is great fun at Christmas.

In Manchester we have the Library Theatre which is kind of a participation theatre and The Royal Exchange is 'in the round', which is a very exciting concept. Oh, I could go on. Lol.

Hope everyone is feeling fine. I am just coming through a nasty summer cold and am a bit chesty. The weather is wet *again*, but humid. Bout usual really, for the UK. Lol!!

The long range weather forecasters did say we were in for a long hot summer.....in the Sahara maybe. *grins*. *clicks fingers* Dagnabbit they got it wrong again. Lol!!

Well, ta ta for now. Keep well. Hugs

Rose :love:
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email