Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
~Mirilien~Undómiel~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Living in Silence
on: August 01, 2005 10:44
"Verian! Verian!" A black-haired woman entered their little house and shouted Verian's name. The maiden looked up from the game she and Doria had been playing and smiled a bit worried to the woman. "What's wrong?" She asked. "Your mother asks you to join her. They need every helping hand and you've helped before." Verian frowned her eye browns. "I will watch Doria." Her neighbour added quickly. The young woman nodded approving and rose from the wooden chair. "I have to go nurse the wounded, dear." She stroke quickly the hair of her little sister. "Don't worry, you know where to find us."

After Verian had left her home she rushed to the Houses of Healing. The shouting she had heard from the moment the war had began had calm down a little, but she didn't know the orcs had pulled back for a moment.

She arrived at the Houses of Healing and went inside. Her mother was nursing an old man who had been hit with a little piece of rock when he had left his house to find his wife, and she didn't look up from her work. Verian stood patiently beside her and handed her some herbs over. Eventually she was ready and she looked at her daughter. "I'm glad to see you, my child. New patients are arriving every minute. Like that lad over there." She pointed at a young man, lying beneath white sheets and with blood flowing from his head. "The poor guy has been hit with something, I would be more than grateful if you could have a look at him."

Verian went over to the boy and frowned her eyebrows when she recognized him. "Tiradan?" She said, but there was no reaction. She looked better and noticed that he wasn't asleep but unconscious. Softly did she lift up his head and looked at the wound. She cleaned and bandaged it, hoping he would wake up soon.
Nevaeh__Elenath
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2005 11:22
Tiradan felt someone touching his head, it also noticed that it burned. He moaned softly, what was going on? Then the memories started to trickle in.
The war . . . Verian . . . his childhood. Then his eyes snapped open. Everything was a bit blury, he blinked and saw a girl swim in to view.
"V-V-Verian?" he coughed. His head gave a horrible throb and he inhaled sharply. "Where am I? What happened to the war?" he muttered.

((Thanks Mirilien!!!!))
~Mirilien~Undómiel~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 04, 2005 09:55
Just when she wanted to walk away, the boy woke up. He coughed her name and she smiled at him. "Yes, it's me. You have a pretty nasty wound on the back of your head Tiradan. But it will heal well with the right treatment." He gazed at her and asked about the war. "I don't know, I'm sorry. I've been called to help here but I don't know anything about what's happening outside these walls."
Nevaeh__Elenath
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2005 11:11
Tiradan nodded in response. His head hurt from it. He looked at Verian, and saw a friend. He hadn't had a friend for ages, he smiled slightly, more of a smile than before. Then his head gave another painful throb, he felt his hand grasp her arm. Then he saw a face in his mind's eye. One of the T.A. he was grinning maliciously and his sword hit Tiradan's head during the confusion. Then the pain stopped and he was back.
"Verian, when you can. Go to the T.A. members and ask for a man by the name of Torathor, I want to see him." he released her arm, and relaxed. Then drifted into sleep.
~Mirilien~Undómiel~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 16, 2005 04:53
Verian answered his smile by smiling back at him and was a bit surprised, though she didn't show it, when the boy suddenly grabbed her arm. "Verian, when you can. Go to the T.A. members and ask for a man by the name of Torathor, I want to see him." Verian nodded. "I will." When she noticed that Tiradan had fallen asleep, she rose and walked to her mother. The nurse gave softly some directions and the maiden went to another soldier.

After an hour she was done with her work in the Houses of Healing and she went outside to look for the man Tiradan had asked for. The first thing she noticed was that no one was fighting and she frowned her eyebrows. Weren't they supposed to be at war? At that moment she saw an old friend of hers and walked towards him, hoping he'd be willing to clear things up.

The maiden went down the stairs and reached the fourth level. Even from there she could see the members of the Tolkien Alliance and quickly did she walk to the them. "Excuse me, my Lord." She said, when she addressed a young man. "I've been sent by one of the members of the Tolkien Alliance; a young soldier named Tiradan. He asked for a man named Torathor, have you any idea where I can find him?" The man smiled and yelled: "Torathor! Torathor, come here." Not much later a man walked towards them. "My Lady." He said, while he bowed slightly. Verian nodded shortly; something in his appearance made her feel uncomfortable. She hadn't thought Tiradan would be friends with a guy like him, but maybe she had judged one of them wrong.

"Your friend Tiradan has asked for you." She said. "He lies in the Houses of Healing and wishes to see you." The maiden turned around and walked away, not waiting to see if Torathor would follow her.

A couple of minutes later they arrived at the Houses of Healing and went inside. Verian brought the man to Tiradan's bed, where Tiradan was still asleep. "You can wait here." She said. "But don't wake him up; he needs all the sleep he can get." She walked away but stayed close, not very sure if she could trust the stranger.
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: August 22, 2005 04:11
Nindeth ran down the streets of the city to Verian's house. She had been running messages and errands between the soldiers in battle and the Houses of Healing. When she had last turned back to the commotion, she had found it all died down. Apparently the Orcs had reatreated from their attack on the walls. Now the wounded soldiers needed help and treatment, so she had at once turned towards the Houses, they would need all the healers there. Nearly there, a thought a struck her. Verian had not been at the Houses when Nindeth was last there, maybe she was still at her home.

Nindeth changed her direction, now running to her friend's house, her braid bouncing on her back, cheeks flushed. As she reached the door, she threw it open.....only to find Idreth, Verian's neighbor, and Doria on the floor, playing a game. ''Where is Verian?’’ she asked the woman, though she knew the answer. ‘’The battle has ended for now, we should join the others in the Houses.'' ''She has already left for the Houses,'' Idreth replied from the floor, ''her mother called for her quite a while ago.'' The woman stood up, wiping her hands on her apron. ''Actually, it's good you came by. I've been wanting to go to the Houses myself, but someone needed to stay with Doria. Would you please look after her, while I go to the wounded?'' They both knew Nindeth couldn't refuse. It wouldn't be polite to begin with, and Idreth was a better healer than Nindeth, so the outcome was clear. ''I will stay,'' she said.

When the woman had rushed out of the house, Nindeth closed the door behind her. She opened the clasp of her cloak and laid it on chair close to the door. ''Hello, Doria,'' she said as she sank down on the floor besides the little girl, ''what do you want to do?''
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: August 22, 2005 10:30
''I want to go too!'' she answered gleefully. ''I want to go to the Houses, just like mummy and Verian!'' Nindeth smiled good-naturedly at the child. She knew Doria pretty well, and had expected this answer from the little girl sitting in front of her.

''I know you do, Doria, and I would love to take you there,'' she started. I want to go as well... ''But we can't go there now, the healer are busy treating the wounded, we would just be a nuisance to them. Why don't we go up to the White Tree?'', she reasoned, knowing Doria loved to be up on the highest level of the city.

Doria crossed her arms and turned her smile to a pout ,'' I don't want to go to the Tree! I want to go to the Houses!'' she wailed. Nindeth watched the girl before her intently, tapping her chin thoughtfully. ''Why don't we do it this way? We'll go up to the Tree and then on our way back we'll stop by the houses.'' Doria looked more content, but still kept her pout stubbornly. She still was not complete satisfied. Finally Nindeth gave in. ''Oh, very well then! We'll go to the Houses! Then after that we might still visit the tree.'' To herself she thought,Maybe I can still help at the Houses.l

She left her cloak where it lay on the chair and took Doria's hand. ''Come on then, off to the Houses!'' Together they walked through the steep, white streets, hand in hand. After quite a walk, the door to the Houses of Healing finally came in sight. Doria immediately let go of Nindeth's hand and ran off to the door. Walking on a steady pace behind, Nindeth shook her head at the girl's enthusiasm. She was always running off somewhere.

Inside she looked around for Doria and found her with her mother. ''I'm sorry,'' Nindeth offered,'' I didn't mean to let her out of my sight.'' ''All is well, Nindeth, it was good that you stopped by.'' She fondly stroked Doria's head. ''I was longing to see her again, but I just can't get away here. I'll keep her here for now, later she can stay with Lindien,'' she said, nodding her head to an elderly, silver-haired woman sitting in a chair. ''With the stiffness of age, she can't keep on working long. She can use the company.'' Nindeth nodded, she knew the woman all too well. That mean I'm off ,she thought.

''Please, where can I find Verian? I was told she was here,'' she asked. ''She is in the third door on the left, down there,'' answered the lady, pointing with her hand. ''Thank you,'' she said, already on her way down the hall. She found Verian sitting on a stool outside the room her mother had said she would be.

''There you are, my friend,'' she greeted her. ''How are the wounded? Are there any in mortal peril? How bad was the battle?'' she shot of her questions, having kept them in for quite some time now.

[Edited on 11/10/2005 by ~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~]
~Mirilien~Undómiel~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 23, 2005 10:10
Verian had just sat down, when a familiar face showed up. In front of her stood Nindeth; one of those people she'd rather saw coming than leaving. "Hello Nindeth," She said with a smile. ''How are the wounded? Are there any in mortal peril? How bad was the battle?" "I've done everything I can for now, though I'll check on them later again." Verian sighed. "There's one man, lying in a corner of the room, who has been suffering a lot, and there's nothing I can do to ease his pain. His wife and children are with him now, but I'm afraid he'll die before the sun will set. But all in all we can't complain; this battle hasn't asked as many lifes as some others." She looked at the maiden and frowned her eyebrows. "Shouldn't you be with Doria? Idreth has just entered the Houses and I thought you were supposed to watch my little sister."

(( OOC: I'm sorry it's so short, but I'll really need to pack up now ))
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: August 23, 2005 10:37
"There's one man, lying in a corner of the room, who has been suffering a lot, and there's nothing I can do to ease his pain. His wife and children are with him now, but I'm afraid he'll die before the sun will set. But all in all we can't complain; this battle hasn't asked as many lifes as some others." Nindeth understood what Verian meant. In the brief spell that she herself had been acting as a healer, she had had one of those cases herself. It was never easy to know that there was nothing left in your power to help the patient, sometimes not even to soothe the pain or speeding up the passing into the Next World. ''I am sorry,'' she offered, knowing that her friend had already accepted the fact, her second sentence affirming that. It was the sign of a good healer.

"Shouldn't you be with Doria? Idreth has just entered the Houses and I thought you were supposed to watch my little sister,'' Verian questioned, though not sounding accusing. ''Doria insisted on coming to the Houses too. I tried to persuade her to walk up to the highest level and visit the White Tree.'' She shook her head, '' But you know how she is. She will get her way, somehow. If you and your mother are here, then she will, too.''

She looked around for another stool, but found none. Any other day, one would find at least one three-legged stool of dark wood in front of each door. But now all of the stools had been taken inside the chambers, for the healers and the relations. All except the one that Verian was sitting on. Nindeth didn't mind, she simply sat down of the floor next to the stool, leaning her back and head against the wall. In a soft voice, she related the tale of her comings and goings back and forth between the Houses and the soldiers. It was an easy and peaceful way to spend the time, and offered the mind something else to process than the endless thoughts of battle and pain and death.

[Edited on 23/9/2005 by ~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~]
Sarobandago
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2005 10:06
(Hi! :wave: )

Aranna was walking along the corridors of Gondor looking for ways she could help. Someone suggested she should go to houses of healing. So she asked for directions and was on her way.

She walked into a room and saw a lady (Verian). "Hello I am a healer, may I be of any help?"

(Look at her profile in the DB please! It explaines a lot)
~Mirilien~Undómiel~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 23, 2005 12:51
(( OOC: Oh my, I'm so sorry I didn't post earlier! Welcome, Sarobandago ))

The maiden sat down next to her while she explained what she was doing up here. Verian smiled. "Yes, that sounds like the Doria I know. I would have felt better, though, if I knew she was at home. The Houses of Healing are no place for a young girl, certainly not in times like these." She sighed and let her tired head rest to the cold wall behind her. She closed her eyes and rest for a moment, listening to the steady voice of Nindeth.

After a few minutes she opened her eyes again and rose from the wooden chair. "I should go inside again, my dear friend. Perhaps you can give me a hand?" She looked at the maiden sitting on the ground, whose bright eyes sparkled owing to a little sunbeam slipping through the window and shining on her face. Verian smiled slightly at her but didn't wait for the maiden to answer. Instead she walked into the crowded room, where the smell of blood and infections mixed with the smell of herbs filled the air. She glanced at Tiradan and then looked at the dying old man. He had trouble breathing and she knew he was passing away. The maiden sighed and walked to him. She rubbed a relieving salve on his chest to make the breathing easier, but she stepped away quietly again once she was done, to give his family time to say goodbye.

When she turned away from the man again, an elf walked into the room and addressed to her. "Hello I am a healer, may I be of any help?" Verian turned around to the maiden and nodded as a greeting. "Hello," she answered. "We can use any help we can get. Since you're a healer, I assume you know how to treat a broken leg?" She walked to the bed of a young soldier while she spoke. His face was twitched from the pain and his right leg lay in an unusual angle. "Could you set his leg and give him something for the pain?"

At that moment a loud scream was audible from the other side of the room and an old lady burst into tears. Verian looked at the corner and lowered her eyes; the old man had passed away. "Excuse me." She said to the elf, and went to the old man's bed. "I'm very sorry with your lost." She said to the relatives standing around the corpse. The maiden gently closed the man's eyes and put a sheet over his head.
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: September 23, 2005 04:46
((Yay! Maybe we can actually revive this thing! Welcome Sarobandago! ))

"I should go inside again, my dear friend. Perhaps you can give me a hand?" Verian asked as she raised herself from the dark-wooden stool. Gazing up, Nindeth looked at her, weighing her options. She knew Verian to be an exceptional Healer, far from her own knowledge. She shifted her gaze to the door the maiden turned to enter. When Verian had told her earlier of the dying man, she had gestured to that same room with a grave gleam in her eyes. As Verian stepped into the room, no longer awaiting her answer, she shook her head and lowered her eyes. There was no hope for him. It was cases like this that she could not endure. It was this, and other things, that made her unfit to become a Healer.

Knowing, and hoping, that Verian would understand her motives, she raised herself from her place on the floor and walked further down the hallway. She tipped her head, glancing into every open room she passed. Grieving relations by covered soldiers, never to return home; silent mothers and wives by injured men, holding hands, some still hopeful, others robbed from hope long ago. Near the end of the hall she saw a woman lying in one of the beds, accompanied by two men. It was a small, squared room, with only two beds in its space. The other one, opposing the woman's bed, was occupied by a man, most likely a soldier. Beside his bed sat a woman, who might well be his wife, dabbing his forehead with a wet cloth.

Yet it was no the man, who was suffering from a none too severe injury and a high fever, that had caught her attention. It was the woman. Nindeth stepped inside and made her way to the bed. Both men turned on her, questions in their eyes. In a soft voice, she said, ''I do not wish to impose, but maybe I can assist you.'' She stepped past one of the men, a tall and darkhaired one, and grabbed a bowl and cloth. After drenching the cloth in water and twisting it out, she wiped the woman forehead. A tourniquet was made over the woman's right arm, like one would do to treat a sword wound. The other man saw her gaze. ''She got in the way,'' he said, his voice strained. ''We live in the lower level; some Orcs had pushed their way through the defenses. She got in the way....'' Nindeth nodded; of course, it had happened before. ''Do not lose hope. The tourniquet is not bled through; the wound probably isn't too severe. She will live.'' She continued to clean the woman's face and re-did the tourniquet. These were the cases she could manage.

[Edited on 24/9/2005 by ~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~]
Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 24, 2005 12:10
((Hullo! I'd like to join! If this doesn't fit with the story please delete of have me edit!))

Jakelyn grimiced at the sight of blood. He pushed some of his red bangs down over his eyes to block some of the horrid scene from his view. His little sister lay weakly on the bed. Her golden locks of hair stained with dryed blood. She turned every now and then to look at Jakelyn and gice him one of her adorable smiles. her bright blue eyes were dull from weariness. The same blue eyes as Jakelyn's.
Mary had not been attended yet. He hoped she would be soon. He knew that any moment she could die from loss of blood. He clenched his teeth together trying not to think about that.
Jakelyn was about 19 and had the brightest red hair ever. His eyes were that of his mother same as Mary. He was well built, but slightly scremish when it came to blood. He loved his sister and was very protective of her, now he could do nothing to help...only the healers could...and he hoped they could.
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: September 25, 2005 02:50
((Welcome Legadriel! ))

Just after a few moments, the woman woke from her slightly feverish sleep. Her wound wasn't deep, and her minor fever nearly gone, swept away in her sleep. Nindeth took up the bowl and cloth, those wouldn't be needed anymore at this bed. Leaving the woman and her two relatives to speak freely, she got up from the floor and made to the other bed, setting it down next to the woman by the bed. ''Keep him cool,'' she said, though she was sure she'd heard that many times today. Nindeth didn't know how long the fever had been lasting, but she was rather sure the woman wouldn't appreciate a bothersome helper. So instead she gave the woman a nod and walked out the door. She made her way back down the hallway, now filled with afternoon sunlight coming through windows everywhere. Little specks of dust were floating through the air, suddenly made visible by the beams of light.

Checking each room again, she intended to head to Verian again, to see how she was doing. But before she was even halfway through the hallway, she caught the sight of redhair, before anything else. She stoppped in her tracks and peered into the room. There was a young man, sitting by a bed on which a girl was laid. Nindeth almost turned to the corridor again, thinking it was just another grieving familymember, when she saw the girl was moving; she was still alive. Looking closer now, she saw that a piece of cloth that was placed over the girl's abdomen was bled through and through; she must have lost a lot of blood.

Not even waiting to signal to the young man, she turned on her heels and ran down the corridor, heading for the room Verian had entered when she'd last seen her. She turned sharply to make it in the room, rushing in, startling the grieving party by the first bed, where Verian stood as well. With her hands, Nindeth motioned for her to get outside, not wanting to disrupt the peace here any more than she'd already done. The moment they stepped outside, she said, ''Verian, you must come quickly. There's a girl, sixth door on the right; she's bleeding heavily, I don't believe anyone has been to treat her yet.''

((Legadriel, about what age are Jackelyn and Mary? I described him as 'a boy', 'bout 16-17, but I'll change that to 'a man', if he's older. ))

[Edited on 25/9/2005 by ~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~]
Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 25, 2005 07:51
((he's 19 and mary is 6))

Jakelyn turned his head just in time to see a woman rush away. He wondered if she was a healer. He dismissed it quickly and changed Mary's cloth again.
She smiled at him and touched his hand with her cold little fingers.
~Mirilien~Undómiel~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 25, 2005 08:20
(( OOC: Yay Welcome Legadriel :love: ))

Just when Verian was about to turn around and look how the elf she had left with the soldier with the broken leg was doing, a maiden came rushing into the room and gestured her to come outside with her. Verian nodded to her and followed her outside the room. "What's the matter, Nindeth?" She asked, concerned by the worried look on her friend's face. "Is there something wrong with Doria?" Nindeth shook her head. "Verian, you must come quickly. There's a girl, sixth door on the right; she's bleeding heavily, I don't believe anyone has been to treat her yet.''

The two women rushed to the relevant room and the red haired man in the corner immediately caught Verian's attention. She looked questioning at Nindeth who gave her a quick nod and then walked to the bed. There, the young girl Nindeth had been speaking about lay on the bed; her little head was surrounded by blood and she was barely strong enough to move. The sight broke the maiden's heart, for the sight of the little girl and the obviously affected man - her brother? Perhaps her cousin? - reminded her of Doria and herself. But she put herself together almost immediately again and knelt down beside her.

Verian touched her icy hands and looked up at the man. "What happened? Where is she wounded?" She asked him hastened; there was no time for polite introductions or extended examinations. "Nindeth?" While still holding the little one's hand, she turned to the woman standing behind her. "Could you bring me some hot water and two of those clean cloths?"
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: September 25, 2005 10:49
(( I edited that last post of mine. It now says 'young man' instead of 'boy' A bit more appropriate for a 19-year old ))

Together with Verian she rushed back down the hallway to the room she'd just left. As they entered the room she caught the healer's questioning look, asking her whether this was the correct room. Nodding shortly, she watched Verian sit down besides the bed, holding the little girl's hand. Nindeth gazed down at the girl and was filled with a horrible feeling of injustice. A girl of that age should not be involved in these matters. She should be playing outside in the sunshine, not lay still in the Houses, bleeding like a wounded soldier.

She took a few steps towards the bed and took her place behind Verian, knowing she'd have to be ready to get whatever the healer needed to ease this girl's pain. After firing questions of the needed facts at the young man, perhaps a brother, sitting at the other side of the bed, the healer turned to her and asked for hot water and two cloths. Nindeth nodded and said, ''Yes, Verian.'' With that she turned again and ran out the room and down the hall to the central stock room.

It was situated near the entrance, it was the place where all the towels, sheets, blankets, bowl and pillows were kept. It was also the place to get water. Running down the hall, slipping around some people in the way, she quickly reached the stock room. She quickly grabbed a large bowl and filled it for three-quarters from a pot above a fire; running with more would make her spill too much, she had learned. Grabbing a few clean cloths and the bowl, she headed out the door again, running as fast as she could without spilling.

As she entered the room again, she made her way to Verian's side, crouching down to place the bowl and cloths beside the woman. When she had done so, she stood again and returned to her place behind Verian.
Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 25, 2005 01:37
Jakelyn didn't really want to say what happened, but he did reluctantly. "My father hit her." he said quietly, lowering his head.
"I'm okay." she whispered with a smile. "He does it all the time. It doesn't hurt."
Jakelyn shushed her. "Her name's Mary." he said.
Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2005 05:42
He wondered what they were thinking.
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: October 01, 2005 06:10
Nindeth paled as she heard the cause for the little girl's injury. They rarely had cases like that in the Houses, but when they did, everyone was shaken. If it were her decision to take, she would have men like that banned from the kingdom forever with no chance of returning; not through valor nor through honor. Her lips formed a thin line and her hands were clenched in fists, but she kept her peace and waited for Verian to give her orders.
Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2005 01:27
Mary smiled at Jakelyn and curled her little fingers around his forefinger.
He smiled weakly back.
~Mirilien~Undómiel~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 02, 2005 05:43
(( OOC: Legadriel, I wasn't sure what kind of injuries she had, so if you want them to be different, just tell me and I'll edit my post ))

Verian swallowed by Jakelyn's answer. She looked into his eyes and then at the little girl's; she was behaving so bravely while she lay there in that way too large bed, almost disappearing under the white sheets. "My name is Verian, I will try to heal your wounds, so you'll be running around again before you'll know it, alright?" Verian smiled encouraging at Mary. "Just try to relax, that way it will hurt less." She turned to Nindeth and grateful accepted one of the towels, which she sopped in the water and then cleaned her little forehead. A deep cut right above her left eyebrow became visible now most of the blood was gone. Verian cleaned it carefully and took a long piece of bandage, with one hand she held Mary's head in the air, and with the other one she swathed it tightly, so that the cut would stop bleeding. The maiden rose and turned to Nindeth. "Could you keep on eye on her? I will draw a tea to ease the pain. Her right wrist is bruised; examine it to see how serious it is, please." She bent forward to the little girl and said: "I will leave now to make you something that will ease your pain a little, but I'll be right back. Nindeth here will help you in the meantime."

Verian walked away to the fire, where she boiled some water and in the meantime sorted the right herbs. When the water was boiling, she draw the tea from the herbs of her choice and then poured it into a cup. With the cup in her hand she went back to the room and put the cup on a board next to the bed to let it cool down. Verian smiled to Mary and Jakelyn and then looked expectantly at Nindeth.
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: October 02, 2005 07:23
"Could you keep on eye on her? I will draw a tea to ease the pain. Her right wrist is bruised; examine it to see how serious it is, please." Nindeth nodded and took Verian's now vacant place besides the bed. Kneeling down, she softly raised the small hand. The girl instinctly attempted to jerk it away from the unknown touch, but Nindeth held her hand firmly. ''Do not fear, Mary. My name is Nindeth, I will test your wrist a bit, to see how serious the possible injury is. Just tel me if it hurts too much, and I will immediately stop.'' Having said that, she pulled Mary's hand a bit closer and started her examination. Turning and twisting it in various directions, though all natural, she kept a close watch on the girl's face to see if she went too far. There was no fracture, nor was it sprained, but it was bruised badly. Though she didn't know the whole story, Nindeth assumed that the girl fell down at some point and had attempted to break her own fall with her hands, but had landed wrongly on them, and thus bruising them, particularly her right.
She got up and went to the other side of the bed, kneeling beside Jackelyn. She picked up Mary's other hand and conducted the same tests, arriving to the same diagnosis, though, as expected, the bruise was less severe on this side.

When Verian entered the room again with the promised tea, she raised herself and walked to the healer's side. Se bowed her head slightly and then said, ''Her right wrist is bruised badly, though luckily not fractured nor sprained. Her left is bruised as well, though less severely; this may be from a fall. Her right wrist will bother her for a while, less so if she would wear tourniquet to restrict her movements with it, but it will leave no permanent damage.'' At least not physically......
Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2005 03:24
Jakelyn looked up at Nindeth after her last words. His brow furrowed slightly. He looked quickly back at Mary and tried to put his mind on other things. He wondered off-handedly if is mother was okay, or if he had hurt her too.
Mary wriggled under the sheets and closed her eyes sleepily. She tried desprately to keep them open, but reluctantly fell asleep.
~Mirilien~Undómiel~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 06, 2005 07:53
(( OOC: The two of you, please check out the OOC thread ))

''Her right wrist is bruised badly, though luckily not fractured nor sprained. Her left is bruised as well, though less severely; this may be from a fall. Her right wrist will bother her for a while, less so if she would wear tourniquet to restrict her movements with it, but it will leave no permanent damage.'' Verian nodded when Nindeth had finished her story. "Thank you." She said softly, and looked at the little girl. Her eyes were weary and the maiden noted that she was struggling to stay awake, but her injuries in combination with the tea plus all the impressions she had been obliged to deal with today, were just too much.

Verian turned to the young man when Mary had fallen asleep. "She will be alright. When she's awake again, she'll get a tourniquet which will accelerate the healing process. For now let her sleep, she needs all the rest she can get." Verian looked calmly in his eyes and said: "It would be good for her to see a familiar face when she wakes up."
Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2005 01:07
Jakely nodded and thanked her gratefully. While mary was alseep he went exploring...a weakness that wasn't always good for him.
He went to different rooms, and peered inside. A few held patiants, but others were empty.
After awhile he headed back to Mary's room.
Dire
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2005 08:44
((OOC: Okay here I am. Sorry it's so long.. The orcs are not my characters, just thought I'd add them in a bit. ))

IC:

His tiny hands followed the lines that ran down the figure's snout, little Maxemar did enjoy playing with the toys that his father would craft for him. But of them all this one, the small effigy of big old Iberias the horse his father rode, it was his favorite. Making snorting noises as the large bay would the boy trotted the play horse across the floor.
"Maxemar come help with supper!"

"Aww mom! A man's place isn't in the kitchen, it's on the battlefield!"

Celest stepped into the room, her wavy blond hair now dishevled from cooking and her eyes sparkling even if there was concern behind them. Her gaze came to her son and she had to shake her head, "A man's place?" she said with a little laugh at her son's wish to grow so quickly, "Maxemar you have some time before you are a man."

Drying her hands she placed a loving hand to the baby that slept in a makeshift crib near the doorway, a smile of cleverness came to her face.
"But what would one think of a man who did not help his mother?"

Maxemar groaned and stood up, "But!"

The look his mother returned to him let him know that he had no choice in the matter at all. Placing the little Iberias to his belt he sighed and went to the kitchen, helping his mother clean the vegetables for cooking.
Celest looked at her son lovingly, the orcs were determined to break through the defenses of this place and she was worried. Any noise caused her to panic, it could be the ugly beasts coming to kill her and her children, and even though her husband taught her enough to defend herself Celest did not trust her ability to protect her nor her children.
"Mommy." Maximar spoke innocently, "When is daddy coming home?"
She took a heavy breath, "When he can Maximar, when he can." Celest hadn't the heart to tell the boy the real danger that could take his father from him.

Outside a worn stallion lumbered down the rocky street, his large hooves clacking against the cold stone. Every once in a while he would snort and shake his head, pushing a long silver tipped forelock from his eyes. A hand gentle and calming rubbed the side of his wet neck as they came down a curve and stopped before a small dwelling. Not quite the halls of a king but, it was home. And what it held inside meant more to the worn warrior then anything in the world.

Dismounting Braxen took the reins and brushed his hand across the stallion's dappled bay coat, coming around to it's muzzle and patting it's head. "Shh, we can rest now Iberias." Braxen whispered cleaning the horse's stripe clean before he led the animal to a post and tied him.
He had to see his famliy before he took the horse's barding from it's broad back.

Braxen opened the door, took a step in, and before he knew it he had a large raging ball of grizzled fur sitting at his shoulders. "Oh Thorn." he said as the wolfhound's tongue licked at his cheeks, "I'm happy to see you too."
It was as if the dog knew the danger his master was put in.
Barking lightly Thorn jumped to the ground and Braxen looked up after wiping the slobber from his face, jubilation overtook the soldier when he saw his family there smiling back at him. Little Maxemar was first to run into his father's arms and the strong warrior lifted the boy up, listening to the child's ramblings about how he protected his mother and little sister from the dangerous mouse that inhabited the kitchen. Maxemar continued to talk as his father walked to Celest who stood near the bassinet, "I told you I'd come back." he said with a smile. Celest couldn't contain herself, tears falling happily she wrapped her arms around Braxen, her head resting against his chest.
"I knew you would." she said to him. Celest saw the dark blood that covered his arm, and tangled his long dark hair but she didn't care. He was home.
Braxen ran a finger through her hair, "How could I leave you all behind." he said taking his hand and placing it gently on the little baby's cheek. Little Astra slept peacefully not even knowing the dangers that crept outside, and Braxen wanted to keep it that way.

"Worthless Dungbait!" the orc growled as he shoved his fist into the other orc's face, "Humans, they're nothing more then stinking humans!"

"But Khurfak, they have a great army!"

Red eyes turned and glared at the orc who spoke out of turn, without warning he reached and wrapped his large hand bout the insolent fool's throat, tightening his vice grip as he pulled his face close, "As do we." he growled throwing the soldier back and glaring at the large hoarde before him, "We have a task, it will be done!"
Khurfak gave a deep gutteral groan as his eyes gazed up at the immense structure a few miles away, "Gondor will be ours."

The other orcs began to mutter amongst one another, they lost many during the last fight. But they would regroup, and they would attack again.
Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2005 02:54
((Welcome! I love your characters!))
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: October 10, 2005 07:31
When the young man had left the room to roam the halls of the Houses, Nindeth stepped closer to the Healer, who was looking down on the little girl in the bed. She layed her hand on the woman's arm and softly said, ''Perhaps you should take some rest, too. You have been working hard all morning. I will watch her for now, you have yourself and other patients to think of.'' She walked to the other side of the bed and took up the bowl of water and a cloth. Drenching and twisting it, she cleaned the girl up a bit, whiping away some stains and sweat. ''There are other competent Healers here.''
Dire
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2005 08:23
Throughout the joy of seeing his family one thing was forgotten, there was a fault in his armored shoulder. A deep gash breaking through the metal upper spauldron, piercing through the chainmailled links beneath. Luckily it had not been a lower blow for it would have found it's way through his vulnerable skin where the armor did not cover.

Celest's nimble fingers unbuckled and unlaced armored plates that to her wore far too much, gasping the young wife pulled Braxen's spauldron off.
But to her fear he smiled with reassurance, "It is only a cut Celest, nothing to bother yourself with."

"Nothing to bother myself with." she said back with a sharp tone helping him to remove the heavy maille shirt before going to get a cloth to clean the broken skin on her husband's shoulder, "Braxen a healer must see this."

"A healer? I'm fine, it will heal on it's own."

Celest returned Braxen's stubborn look with a forceful one, "This is no mere sliver husband, it will become hot and then fester... We cannot have you ill during such troubled times!"
Braxen groaned glancing at Maxemar who slept on a well made pile of blankets on the floor. It was the truth, he could not chance becoming ill when he was needed the most.
Planting a kiss to Celest's lips the soldier stood, "Then I will go to the Houses, to please you."

She smirked, "You men can be a stubborn lot." Celest implied wanting to go with him but she had children to tend to, and a good mother would never leave her babies alone. So handing him his cloak she waited by the door as Braxen took Iberias's reins and with a smile mounted the built horse making his way to the Houses of Healing.

As the bay horse walked down the streets Braxen looked out at the plains before his home, small lights dotted the landscape upon the horizon. The orcs had not retreated for long, he only hoped the soldiers and Alliance could end the battle when the enemy came calling once again.

At that very moment Khurfak watched the great city with crimson eyes, he was sent to take down the city and it's king. That he would do.

Behind him his grizzled soldiers muttered and fought amongst themselves, some over measly bits of meat, others over quick tongues and insults.
In an orc's world there was chaos, survival of the fittest where even a word could get a sword through your back.

"Khurfak, another lot of soldiers have left to aid us." came the sly and venemous tongue of his advisor, "They will arrive by the next shroud of the sky."
To the orc leader it was not enough, he wanted to attack this night, he didn't wish to wait another day to shed human blood. Raging Khurfak took his advisor up by the neck, and shoved him away, kicking another orc soldier in the groin before he would call his hoarde. They would have to double back before the light came, but Khurfak would not relent his attack.
"Give the fragile beasts their rest." he growled to his advisor, "By next shadow we will have our fill of their fallen blood and more."
The orc lieutentant had a raging look in his eyes, after all he was mad.
Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2005 01:32
Jakelyn found his way into the room again and sat down with a sigh, hideing his face in his hair. He pressed his hands together and tried to relax, but something burned on him...something unseen...something waiting.
~Mirilien~Undómiel~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 04:11
''Perhaps you should take some rest, too. You have been working hard all morning. I will watch her for now, you have yourself and other patients to think of.'' Verian sighed hardly noticeble and took the hand of the little girl. She looked at Nindeth who had walked to the other side of the bed. ''There are other competent Healers here.'' She knew Nindeth was right; she had been working all morning and it had claimed a lot of her energy. She wasn't used to this amount of patients and it had exhausted her. "I will," She smiled at the girl lying on the bed, still sleeping peacefully. "I will go see my other patients first, and then I'll lie down for a moment." Verian walked out of the room, she gave a quick nod to Jakelyn who entered when she left and went into the other rooms, making sure everyone was taken care off. When she had assured herself they would be fine without her, she went to seek her mother. She found her in the storeroom, where Doria sat right beside her. "Come, Doria." The girl softly demanded. "We will go home now." The little girl rose from the wooden floor and grabbed her sister's hand. Together they walked out of the Houses, through the city to the fifth level and eventually they reached their house. Verian smiled slightly and opened the door; the little girl ran into it and immediately went to the wooden doll her father had made for her, while Verian went straight to her bed. She lay down and fell asleep immediately.
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 04:38
Nindeth watched as the elder Healer left the room to seek her peace and quiet. Just as Verian left the room, Jackelyn walked back in. His head was down, his face hidden by dark locks. He sat down on the other side of the bed, where Verian had stood not too long ago, and sighed. He seemed troubled somehow, more than merely over his sibling's health.
Nindeth placed the cloth and bowl back on the floor besides the bed, they would need some clean water soon. She glanced at the young man, who might use some sleep as well.

''It will still be some time before she wakes,'' she said in a soft voice. ''Perhaps you should attempt to rest for a while; it will be good for her, too, to see you a bit more rested when she comes to.'' She got up and took the bowl with her, intending to fill it in the storeroom. ''If you wish, you can take up the other bed beside her. I will return soon.'' With these words she walked out of the room and down the hall, until she came to the storeroom. There she filled the bowl with warm water, to clean Mary and the wound when it needed a new dressing. She took it back to the room and placed it just under Mary's bed. Not wanting to disturb them more, she reminded herself to check up on them in an hour or so and softly walked down th hall to the entrance of the Houses. Normally a few Healers would be gathered there to take up the arriving patients; now only Lindien, one of the elder Healers, sat there, advising, though not healing herself. Nindeth inclined her head to the grey woman and sat down on the floor on the other side of the entrance. With the battle over, most injured had already been brought in, so the chances she was need were slim now. And so she closed her eyes and waited.
Dire
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 05:57
Iberias snorted when Braxen pulled back on his reins, there was a mist in the air when the horse let out a breath. And the stillness was almost unnerving for the soldier. Patting the horse's shoulder Braxen dismounted pressing against the pain from his own. It was bruised, luckily the orc lost his head before he was able to put his own strength into the axe's momentum, if he hadn't Braxen may have been rendered the use of his arm. Or worse.

Limping slightly from strain Braxen wearily entered the main hall where he saw two women sitting as if sleeping. The place was quiet from the bustle it no doubt held earlier, there was reason for Braxen not wishing to come to this place. It pained him to see all the ones who suffered from this wretched battle, even if they had no part.

For a moment he just stood there quietly, wondering if he should wake the healer from her slumber, or allow her the rest she so deserved.
Decided the soldier turned his hand to his shoulder ready to leave the healers to their rest, but a sound behind him caused Braxen to turn back around....
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 06:41
She had been sitting on her spot for a few moments, when the soft breathing of Lindin brought her to a state of half sleep, allowing her take rest. If it had not been for this, she would have heard the hooves clip-clopping on the street stones, coming to halt a few yards away. She would have heard the man coming in the entrance, but now, she was oblivious to all this. It wasn't until the man turned, when one of his feet made a loud noise on the floor, that her eyes flew open.

She looked up immediately, seeing the man with his back to her, about to walk out the door. He was limping slightly and he held his arm with one hand, as if injured. She felt a blush creep up her face; if the other Healers heard she'd almost let an wounded man walk out on her duty, she'd really get it. She quickly rose to her feet and said, ''Wait, sir! I am sorry I did not greet you before; I must have dozed off.'' She stepped closer and inclined her head, bowing to him. ''Your wound seems severe, I am sure I could find someone here to threat it for you. Would you please follow me?'' She gestured to the hall on her right, where she hoped to find an empty room, or at least a bed.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email