Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
~Mirilien~Undómiel~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Living in Silence
on: October 25, 2005 07:20
The hard wind which was blowing through the city, had got free play with the maiden's hair. Dark strings had broken free from her bun and now waved beside her head. She did not put them back, nor did she pay any attention to it at all; she was too busy arguing with the soldiers standing in front of her. Suddenly someone tugged on her sleeve, and Verian turned around to see who was standing behind her. ''Verian, you cannot stay! What good will your presence here do? You will die with them if you linger, as sure as spring will follow winter. How will that help them, or your family? Think of Doria, think of your mother! You cannot in good conscience rob Doria of her older sister, nor your mother of her eldest child. I thought you less selfish than that!" Verian looked at Nindeth and frowned her eyebrows; Nindeth's comment on her lack of love, for though not said with so many words, that was what she accused her of, had touched her more than the young maiden may have known. "You do not have the knowledge to judge me nor my family." She said sharply. ‘’Braxen and I are heading for Edoras, on the King’s command, to seek help there, and we need you with us. Staying here will serve no one, but leaving with us will serve our city and all her citizens who are now robbed of their freedom. Will you join us?’’ Nindeth asked. Verian looked at her and then glanced at the long line of refugees, all leaving their home, their country, their husbands, brothers and sons behind. Verian sighed heavily and looked over her shoulders to the soldiers behind her and she realized that no matter how hard she'd try, they wouldn't let her pass. She took Nindeth's hands in hers and smiled slightly, knowing that the maiden didn't mean to offend her, nor her family. "I will join you, Nindeth." She gave a quick nod as encouragement and then looked at the man standing behind her. "Now tell me, who will be leading us?"
Dire
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 09:14
((I wasn't actually going to let the orcs even get to the second level, not until our characters had reached Edoras and gathered aid. Khurfak is just being an orc is all..))
((I thought they would travel with the refugees until they reached the mountains since they might travel that way anyways))

Braxen gave the woman a courtsy, not once forgetting his place and her own.
"The king as not given a name on who would lead us?" he spoke gently but the soldier was a bit apprehensive. That only meant that the king wished him to lead the party, he had never done such a thing before.

Glancing back at the frustrated soldiers that the healer had just been confronting Braxen's eyes turned to the ground sadly, "They'll defend them with everything they have healer." he told her trying to reassure but knowing that in these times it was a waste of energy, "When we return with an army come to aid our city, you will see them all again."

Braxen knew it was a false hope but he never failed to dream, especially when a glimmer of hope did remain.

Below Khurfak ordered his soldiers to set up their camps while he himself stood on a lookout, dark eyes glaring at the rest of the armies that dotted the horizon.
They would come to claim what was his and he knew it. Right now the orc lieutenant felt it was safe enough to allow his soldiers some chance to claim the spoils before the others came. The walls of the city were strong, and he knew that his soldiers alone could not continue the battles to the higher levels. Not just yet..
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 10:17
((Okay, just checking ))

Nindeth let out a breath she didn't even knew she had held, when Verian took her hands in her own, and announced she would join them on their road. It was important to her that Verian at least would leave the city, yet that she would stay with them was an even greater news. Verian had always been kind to her, and had never, like others had, pushed her in any way she did not wish. She looked up to the Healer, for her abilities, but most of all for her kindness.

She smiled relieved as the woman gave her an encouraging nod, before speaking to Braxen. "Now tell me, who will be leading us?" She manuevered herself from between Braxen and Verian, so that they did not have to talk over her head anymore. "The king as not given a name on who would lead us?" he said carefully, as though he was not sure how to put it. She shook her head and told Verian:''That's not true; the King did name a leader, namingly Braxen.'' When she saw the look on Verian's face, it suddenly dawned on her: they had not met yet. ''I am sorry; Verian, this is Braxen. He is a soldier, a very stubborn and a wounded one,'' she said, gesturing to the tourniquet he wore. ''Braxen, meet Verian, one of the Healers here.''

Suddenly, she seemed to be more aware of the sounds in city; the harsh cries, both of Orc and Gondorian, the clash of metal and the stamping of numerous feet. Staring out ofver the city, she said, ''So, it's just us, then? Crossing the plains will do no good; the mountains then?''

[Edited on 26/10/2005 by ~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~]
Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 06:39
For jakelyn things were happening too fast. He could only stare dumb-founded. Finally, he rushed past the screaming people and grabbed Braxen's strong arm with one of his thin hands. "I'm going too." he said. "If there's any chance of finding my brother, I want to try." he hesitated. "For Mary." his eyes were set and determined.

Grandel finally awoke. The sky was dark with heavy rain clouds and the ground beneath him was thick with grass. He squinted up at the mountains looming far before him. Suddenly he remembered why he was there...the orcs...what if they found him? He was up in a second. His head spun with the speed. He looked around wildly before grabbing his fallen pack and half running headed toward the mountains...the only place the orcs wouldn't dare to go.

Mary finally got up. She was tired up waiting. her curls bounced as she was jostled through the crowd. She found herself in front of the houses again. She thought of the comfy beds there and headed in. She was amazed by all the people. A stench of blood made her wrinkle her nose.

((I hope I haven't been gone too long!))
Dire
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2005 07:10
It would have been a journey that the soldier would not have even allowed the women to travel if things were to happen differently. And now as he looked at the boy he saw a spark of boldness, Jakelyn was as he was years ago.

"It will be dangerous." Bracken explained in a way hoping that the boy may change his mind but the look that Jakelyn gave to Bracken swayed the soldier's thoughts and he put his hand on the boy's shoulder.
"Jakelyn." he said with a sigh, "Go to the royal stables, there another soldier will have some horses prepared for our journey. Gather enough mounts for each of us." he glanced up at the healer and leaned closer to the boy, "And gather a few more light weapons, the healers may need something in their defense should anything happen."

He spoke in a low tone but just loud enough for them to overhear. Bracken would not lie about the dangers of this mission, and if something should happen to their arms, the women would have to have a way to protect themselves.

Patting the boy on the shoulder Bracken smiled, "When you have gathered what was asked meet us back here." he mentioned but before the boy turned to leave the soldier's strong grasp stopped him, "Grandel would be proud of your bravery Jakelyn."

Bracken was not so sure of this but for right now the boy was able to bear a weapon and would be helpful to have in the party.
"It's the only way I can see Nindeth." he spoke as he went to the healers, "We will stay with the evacuees' until we reach the mountains, as they camp we will continue on. Be prepared for a few days travel I would like to keep the horses paced so we do not break them."

Bracken took hold of the charm about his neck, "I cannot bear the thought of leaving my family for too long."

The shouting continued, dark chants that mocked the soldiers of man and their race. It seemed won already to the orcs below.
And in Bracken there was doubt they would gather aid before the evil brood gathered for one final annihalation.
~Mirilien~Undómiel~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 26, 2005 08:08
"They'll defend them with everything they have healer. When we return with an army come to aid our city, you will see them all again." Braxen said to her. Verian looked at him but did not answer, for her anxious heart couldn't to agree on him. ''I am sorry; Verian, this is Braxen. He is a soldier, a very stubborn and a wounded one,'' Nindeth said. "Braxen, meet Verian, one of the Healers here.'' The maiden looked at his arm and shook her head, but before she could say anything, the three were interrupted by Jakelyn. "Go to the royal stables, there another soldier will have some horses prepared for our journey." The man said to him and the Healer sighed. How could I forget about Caeron? He will be dinner soon if he doesn't get away on time. She closed her eyes and bit on her lip, but she put herself together again and frowned her eyebrows while she glared at Braxen's arm. "We know how to handle a sword, but you should not use one unless necessarily. You're lucky to have us to take care of that wound, for you probably won't give it the rest it desperately needs." She then suddenly remembered about Mary, and immediately turned to Jakelyn. "I have not seen Mary with the evacuees. Where is she, Jakelyn?"
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: October 26, 2005 09:51
(( Mary is now in the Houses, right? Do you want her to stay there, or should someone get her and drag her along with the refugees?))

Her mind both close and far away, she watched as Braxen accepted Jakelyn as a member for their journey. It was understandable that he would want to come too, his brother lost and captured, most likely dead. That was if he was luckily...At the same time, she could not help but wonder where the little girl, Mary, was. Was she still in the Houses? Was she with the evacuees? She did not pay these thoughts much attention; he was her brother, he would take care of her.

She glanced at Verian as the two men continued speaking. She did hope the woman was not angered at her words. Though she had not shown anything of such a thing, that did not mean she could not feel it. But there seemed to be no accusation or anger in the Healer's grey eyes, and so she decided to leave it to that, for now. "And gather a few more light weapons, the healers may need something in their defense should anything happen,'' she heard Braxen tell the younger man, clearly knowing that they would hear too. ''We know how to handle a sword, but you should not use one unless necessarily,'' Verian said, evidently having heard him as well. Nindeth merely nodded at this, thinking of the dagger imbedded in a leather sheath in her right boot; she never went unprotected, though she had never truly learned how to wield a sword. True, she had practiced once or twice with Nadúon, but that did not make her a good swordsman.

When Braxen was done with Jakelyn and had sent him on his way to get the horses, he replied to her, "It's the only way I can see Nindeth. We will stay with the evacuees' until we reach the mountains, as they camp we will continue on. Be prepared for a few days travel I would like to keep the horses paced so we do not break them." He started toying with the stone again. Seeing it, Nindeth touched the coin on a leather cord on her wrist. It had been left with her many years ago, and she had grown accustomed to the feel of the cold metal against her skin. "I cannot bear the thought of leaving my family for too long,'' he added, a distant look in his eyes. Not answering him, she stepped past Verian and Jakelyn and slowly walked to the steps to the lookout point. If they were still talking, she could easily take a last look.

Before she went up the stairs, she said to Jakelyn, ''You cannot lead four horses at once; I will go with you in a moment.'' She then hurried up the steps and stepped out on the platform. Up there, they wind blew even harder, her braid thrashing against her, the wind tugging at her clothes. She laid her slim hand on the railing and looked out over the city, her face growing pale ever so slightly. She had seen it before, she had spent her entire morning running behind the final lines, but it looked so different now...so very different...
Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2005 01:05
Jakelyn nodded and turned to leave just as Braxen told him, "Grandel would be proud of your bravery."
Jakelyn swallowed and nodded his thanks. "Mary is with the healers. I told her to stay there."
Then he rushed toward the stables.
Sarobandago
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2005 03:57
Arranna was rushing around her mind in a whirl. Suddenly she spotted Nindeth, "What has happened?" she asked. She had never been in such chaos before.

(I only had time to scan the posts, but I kinda get whats happening. And Arranna is a 15 year old elf.)
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: October 27, 2005 07:17
Behind her, Nindeth heard a soft spoken voice, saying, "What has happened?" Confused that even now someone might not now of the situation in the city, she whirled around to face the person. It was Arranna, an Elven Healer of the Houses. Nindeth made a wide gesture to the panorama of the city with her arm. ''That is what has happened. The Orcs have struck us in a too great number for our army to repel. They have broken through the front gate, and have taken the first level.'' From the corner of her eye, she saw something move away from the Houses. As she turned her head to it, she recognized it as Jakelyn, who ran of to fetch the horses. Very well, you do it on your own, then. She was not going to run after him; if he did not wish her help, she would give it.

She looked at Arranna again and noticed the anxiety in the girl's manner. Sh raised her hand to keep her loose locks from flying around, and said this: ''I don't know where you have been, but you should not be here. We have evacuated the Houses, the refugees are already on their way into the mountains. We are about to move after them, as soon as our horses come; you can then come with us to join the line.'' She glanced once more over her shoulder to the city, and then turned her back to it, taking the steps down to the street; she motioned for Arranna to follow her. She did not gladly leave Minas Tirith, but she would not let the young girl know. Together they walked to where Braxen and Verian stood. ''Look who found me,'' she said Verian.
Dire
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2005 06:48
"We know how to handle a sword, but you should not use one unless necessarily. You're lucky to have us to take care of that wound, for you probably won't give it the rest it desperately needs."

As stubborn as he was Braxen had to admit that the healer Verain was right. It may be wise for him to gather another soldier to aid them on their trip, after all he may not be of the best of condition to defend them.
"I will not bear a weapon unless it is truly necessary." he told Verian.
Below the orcs began to quiet and one could hear them and their mocking laughter as they mercilessly disposed of the dead Gondorians and began to loot all that they themselves could carry. Braxen wanted the ability to destroy them all and their race for good.

Hearing Nindeth he broke out of his thoughts as she ran up with a young girl in tow. Bracken himself did not recognize the girl but apparently the healers knew her.

From the city a long line of evacuees' travled down the man made path as they began their journey to the safety of the mountains. What they would find when they got their none knew, but it was far safer then dealing with the orc hoarde that had now taken the first level of their lovely city.
Celest kept the little black mare steady as her two children slept peacefully in her arms, at the mare's feet Thorn trotted briskly aside. His tongue lolling to the side of his maw and his ears alert just in case. Every once in a while the caring mother would look back, seeing other refugee's but not the one person she wished to see more then anything.
It tore her to think he was still in that city.
~Mirilien~Undómiel~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 28, 2005 09:28
"I will not bear a weapon unless it is truly necessary." The soldier told her. Verian smiled contently. "I'm glad to hear that. Hopefully your arm will be healed when we arrive at Edoras, so you can fight with the Rohirrim when time calls you." Below them orcs were spreading through the first level as gnats in a marsh. She looked down at the city that had been her home for twenty-three years now and she swallowed by the idea of letting this city of Kings fall into the hands of orcs. The maiden looked aside and read from Braxen's face that he was thinking the same thing. She touched his shoulder and said: "They will pay for this, Braxen, they will."

At that moment Nindeth appeared again, but she wasn't alone. Verian smiled when she recognized the Elf she had spoken to her earlier that day. She had no time to speak, though, because at that moment a little girl came running at them. The maiden immediately recognized Jakelyn's sister and she exclaimed relieved: "Mary! There you are, I have been looking for you." She knelt down in front of the girl and pushed a blond curl out of the little one's face. She smiled encouraging to her. "You have to leave the city, Mary. Your brother Jakelyn has to go away for a little while, and it is not safe for you to stay here. My mother and little sister have just left, but you can stay with them, until your brothers return." The healer rose and toke Mary by the hand. "I will be right back." She told the other ones, and then hurried away to the group of refugees, the last just leaving the city.

"Mother!" Verian yelled, when she noticed her mother's cloak among the crowd. The woman turned around and waited for her oldest daughter to catch up with them. "What took you so long, my child?" "I will not come with you, mother. There is no time for explanations, but I promise to tell you everything once I've returned." The woman looked at the maiden. She wasn't happy with the situation, but she trusted on her daughter's judgment. "This little girl here is Mary. Her brother will join me, but there is no one left to take care of her. I told her she could stay with you and Doria."

"We cannot linger, hurry!" A desperate voice yelled. Verian and her mother looked up and noticed they were getting far behind the refugees. "The come with me, Mary. You don't have to be afraid, everything will be all right." The woman took Mary by her hand and with a last glance at Verian, she turned around and hurried after the other refugees. Verian sighed when she saw them leaving, but then rushed back to Nindeth, Braxen and Arrana.

(( OOC: I hope this is okay, Legadriel. If you want me to change anything, just let me know ))
Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2005 01:06
Mary giggled and followed Verian out of the houses once again. Her little finger was jammed in her mouth and her curls bounced as she walked fast trying to keep up with Verian.
She smiled at the woman and the other gilr, Doria. She mustered a wave of her hand.
"Where is Grandel and Jakelyn?" she asked in a tiny voice.

Jakelyn rushed to grab a few horses. He picked out the strongest looking ones. A black stud, a redish brown stallion, a strong daple grey, and a grey mare.
He fumbled with the tack and finally gave up and grabed there harneses and dragged them behind.
"Here." he said. When he made it back to Braxen and the others. "Is this good?"
he pulled the red stallion his way and mounted it with ease. It was slightly smaller than the others and stouter. He walked with a powerful stride, and his head was held high as if he were trying to look intimidateing. His tail was braided up tight and it's mane cut near to the nape of his neck.
"We should get moving." Jakelyn said as he turned the horse in a tight circle to get his attention.

((It's fine))
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: October 28, 2005 09:40
Nindeth watched with slight relief as Verian and Mary hurried to the rear of the line. She had assumed the brother knew where the girl had been, and even though she had not heard his answer to the healer's question, it did not quite matter now; the girl was out of the city in safe hands.
She just tapped Braxen on the shoulder, wanting to ask him how long he thought Jakelyn would take, when the subject of her question came rushing round the corner, four horses in tow. Each of them looked strong and hardy, quite suitable for their road; he had made good choices. The only obstacle now, was that they were now a group of five, instead of four. They could not let one walk; one horse would have to carry two.

Of the three remaining horses, she immediately choose the grey stallion, which somehow felt completely natural. No time for acquaintances, her fingers nimbly wound themselves around the knob at the front of the saddle and her left leg braced itself in the stirrup. In one smooth motion, she swung her right leg over the saddle and settled in. The daple grey was only slightly larger than the red one Jakelyn had mounted, which was the smallest. It was a pity they did not know the horses names, yet maybe some of the soldiers or the refugees would recognize them. She tested the stallion a bit, maneuvering it back and forward; it was ever so slightly more tempered than what she was used to, but she did not mind.
She glanced down at Arranna, who still stood on the ground as Verian and Braxen mounted the remaining two horses. ''Arranna, you must ride along with one of us. I cannot do it, I have never ridden with another in front of or behind me. But someone else can take, I am sure.''
~Mirilien~Undómiel~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 29, 2005 05:05
(( I only have time for a short post ))

When she had found her way back to the group, Jakelyn entered the scene. With him he had four horses, all capable of making the long and difficult journey they were about to make. Verian looked at the four and noticed Jakelyn mounting the red stallion, followed by Nindeth who chose the daple grey one. The maiden smiled and walked to the grey mare. She was the most slender one and her noble head was small. The mare snorted nervously and laid her ears in her neck. Verian petted her neck and then mounted calmly. She rode to Jakelyn and softly spoke to him: "I have brought Mary to my mother and my little sister; they will take care of her."

''Arranna, you must ride along with one of us. I cannot do it, I have never ridden with another in front of or behind me. But someone else can take, I am sure.'' Nindeth said. Verian rode her horse back to the elf, she was still a girl and obviously confused by the chaos. "Braxen's arm makes it impossible for him to take you, you can ride with me." She looked at the girl. "Come sit in front of me, for you are smaller than I am."

[Edited on 5/11/2005 by ~Mirilien~Undómiel~]
Dire
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2005 01:52
Sitting straight in the saddle despite the discomfort it gave him Braxen turned the reins, tapping lightly with the leather straps and whispering something high enough for only the silver bay beneath him to hear. Risen snorted and turned to face the other horses, as his master motioned him forward he himself sniffed at them, showing his position with the slightest of gestures with his body movement. It was in his nature to become lead stallion in any position, and it was this hotblooded rationality that at first made Braxen think twice about using him for battle.
But with a feisty nature also came knowledge and a sense of knowing just when it was right or wrong to act out.

Him and Braxen made the perfect of companions.

"We ride with the refugees' until the mountains." Braxen told his companions with a air of strength, for as much as Risen kept his rank among the stable's mounts', Braxen himself made a strong leader.
It was a position he chose to pass by, after all he hadn't the heart to order soldiers' to what could possibly be their deaths.

Shifting in the saddle he sighed plainly, "We will continue on after they make camp. Healer you will gather what supplies you can and me and Jakelyn will try to put together enough rations for the trip through the mountains. Once on the other side we can hunt and water will once again become plentiful through the rivers."

Beneath him Risen snorted and Braxen turned the stallion back once again, "It's time to go.." he said with a light voice, one that held apprehension in it's tone.
After all the journey alone was perilous....
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: October 30, 2005 12:48
When all had mounted their steeds and sat firmly in the saddle, Braxen spoke out. "We ride with the refugees' until the mountains. We will continue on after they make camp. Healer you will gather what supplies you can and me and Jakelyn will try to put together enough rations for the trip through the mountains. Once on the other side we can hunt and water will once again become plentiful through the rivers." He turned his stallion around, facing the looming mountain, ''It's time to go...'' Apprehension gripped her heart at his tone; there was not telling what they would face on their road. She silently pushed it away and urged her grey on to follow after Braxen and the bay.

In a silent queue they rode away from the Houses and the city, heading for the path in the mountains, where the refugees had fled. Sixteen hooves clip-clopped on the cobbles of the street, so loud in her ears that she no longer heard the cries below. Ahead, Braxen rode with stature, handling himself well despite his arm. Not able to resist the urge, she turned her head and looked back, the Houses moving farther and farther away. Between herself and the city, there were Verian and Arranna on the grey mare, the young Elf rising over the Healer's head, and Jakelyn on his red stallion closing the line. Covering her eyes from the sun, she saw behind him the soldiers that had denied Verian access to the Houses earlier, now leaving their old post and forming a line themselves, following them at a good distance. Apparently, all that should be out, were out, and their work was done.

Every now and then, she would glance back again, until they rounded a corner into the mountain, and the city was lost from sight. It took them longer than she had expected to catch up with the rear of the line; they had been moving faster than she had thought. Then again, they themselves could not move to fast themselves on these mountain paths. Yet eventually, when they had ridden a good deal on the winding road, leaving the White City behind, they sighted the refugees closing the line and soon had joined in behind them.
Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2005 05:17
Jakelyn nodded. "Thank you. She can't be alone too long..." he smiled in spite of himself. "She's adventurous, if you know what I mean."

They were off. He swallowed and the horse under him seemed to tense. It's ears were at full attention to Jakelyn, though.
Jakelyn followed up next to Braxen. "Do you think we'll find Grandel?" he asked, a little afraid of the answer.

The mountains were cold. Grandel shivvered under his clothes. The orcs had taken his wool cloak and left him with barely a rag. He had no more food in his pack. The orcs had eaten it. No water in the canteen either. And his legs were so cold and tired that he wouldn't be able to run far even if he wanted to.
He pressed himself against a rock and huddled his arms into his knees. He burried his face between his legs and attempted to rest.
Dire
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2005 11:02
As he sat atop Iberias Braxen hesitated to answer the boy's question.
After all the chances were not good.

"I don't know Jakelyn." he said sadly as the horses continued to travel at a slow pace behind the line of refugees, "Your brother was strong, but the orcs are ruthless."

Pulling back the reins causing Iberias to slow until he was walking aside Jakelyn's mount the soldier nodded, "But we will do what it takes, all that we can do to find him. It is all we can do."

Iberias snorted as he kept his balance on the uneven grounds his master had insisted they take. The large crested stallion was not used to such conditions but he would learn quickly. His hooves clacked across the grounds along with all the others, before him a long line of horses and people tread carefully down the path. How long they would be moving ahead the stallion did not know, but as his tongue rolled about the bit in his mouth his eyes became sleepy and his head lowered. The soldier kept his arm to his side, more then just an adept rider Braxen could balance himself upon the stallion's back with ease. Trust was something that both equine and man shared with one another and so the reins sat upon the saddle and not in Braxen's grasp.

Most of the cause was the soldier's weariness. He was still fighting the pain in his arm and the loss of sleep from over the week. Still he sat in the saddle gazing over the many who had left the city, soon enough they would leave them all behind and head to Edoras.
How would he say goodbye to those he loved?
Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2005 03:26
Jakelyn's mind wondered...What did he mean, was strong? He thought. Was? Why was? He is strong. he corrected the soldier in his mind.
He clucked so the stallion would move ahead a little and to the side. He pulled the horse a little ways from the group just to be alone for a moment. The horses steady lols put him in a drozy mood.

[Edited on 11/1/2005 by Legadriel]
~Mirilien~Undómiel~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 05, 2005 12:04
(( OOC: I'm very sorry I didn't post earlier ))

After the young elf had climbed in front of her, the group rode away. Verian gently spured her mare and noticed she was holding the reins pretty tight, too tight, frankly. She tried to relax her fingers, but they kept seeking grip; she was not as calm as she pretended to be. "I ride." She softly said to the elf. It was the only thing she said for a long time.

Soon, though not as soon as she'd thought, they reached the long line of refugees. The maiden rode closely behind Nindeth, and after her did Jakelyn close the line. He suddenly passed them and went to Braxen, which made Verian's sight on the large group of women, children, injured and elderly even less than it had been before. Her eyes desperately sought her mother and Doria, but she did not find them. She sighed, realizing there was a chance she might never meet them again.

The group kept silent, though the thousands of footsteps and the clappering of sixteen hoofs caused enough noise to keep the endless screams of those in battle away. I wonder what happened with Tiradan. I haven't seen him anymore since I've left his room to treat Mary. Hopefully he could get away. She slightly shook her head. He was severly injured, Verian, you know very well there's only a slight chance he made it.

She pulled herself back from her thoughts, just in time to notice Jakelyn riding away from the group. She hesitated for a moment, but then came to the conclusion that she could better leave him alone for a little while. He was close enough to her now for her see the droswy look on his face and she frowned her eyebrows. "Come on." She whispered to her horse, and after a slight spur the mare sped up her pace and Verian led her to the young man. "Jakelyn?" She spoke. "Keep yourself together, for you must stay awake." She looked at the girl in front of her. "You can ride with me, if your too sleepy to ride on your own."
Sigilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2005 04:05
[I you guys like me to, I will play along.]

A childs cry suddenly rang echoing over the heads of everyone.
"MOMMY!!! DADDY!!! I LOVE YOU!!!"
The small child called back towards the city, where her parents were left behind. Those two were probably dead.
The child began to cry.

[My actual character, Larewen Elentirmo, will join in later, is this post okay?]
Dire
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2005 11:23
"Meradan!" Braxen called out, passing a glance at the boy Jakelyn who was now speaking with the healer. Iberias snorted as he trotted beside the path and the grouping of soldiers who rode and walked in the middle of the line. Slowing Braxen pulled his stallion next to the bay Meradan rode, the look on his face was determined.

"Braxen, it is good to see you are not of those left behind." the older man said, running a hand over his grizzled beard. Meradan was one of the soldiers who fought under the king's service even when Braxen himself was a mere underling. There may have been silver tinting the once brown color of his hair, but Meradan still had strength making a very honorable soldier. One that Braxen looked up to.

"Meradan, tell me.. Have you seen Celest?"

"Your wife?" the older soldier whispered and replied with a nod, "Yes, she is safe Braxen. Her and the young ones."

A wide gauntlet protected hand rested upon Braxen's shoulder, "Braxen they will be okay, the danger is behind us now."

"Until we find aid from Edoras." Braxen quipped and Meradan nodded.
"Yes until then. We are close to the flat level before the mountains rise, you will see your family soon Braxen."

Meradan nodded and Braxen returned the bow before he pulled Iberias to a slow walk, allowing the others to catch up to him.
As he sat there strong but weary his eyes watched all those who escaped their homes. Mother's carrying young, babes wrapped in blankets, while holding the tiny hands of their other children to keep them close. Father's wrapping a protective arm around their wives and children.
When his gaze fell onto an older man and his wife he sighed, the man was the strength for his ailing wife. Keeping her to stand even when he himself could barely walk with a damaged leg.

Sounds of hoofsteps, animals breathing, and people speaking in low tones was all he could hear. There was a strange euphoria in the air as a light wind blew about his handsome face.
Iberias must have felt it for the stallion snorted at the wind and shifted his weight onto his left side.

It was then he heard a small cry.
A child calling for the love of her parents, her longing eyes staring back from whence they came, the city that was no longer their's.

He slumped slightly in the saddle, although it was not so obvious by the layers of armor upon his body. Braxen watched the child to make sure she was taken care of by another healer.

Waiting the soldier thought about what was to come.

################

"You let him get away!" Khurfak hissed taking his blade and slicing right to left before turning back to the other orc behind him, "Dinrag, you take a small party, you bring the man soldier back to me!"

"But mautor the fool is probably maggot food by now."

What was this? Someone being foolish enough to question his authority?
Khurfak did not take to that, growling he wrapped his large claw about the offending orc's neck, "One more bit of rabble from your tongue Dinrag. And I'll rip your insides out."

Dinrag said nothing more and took a group out of the city gates.

The orcs now camped within the lower levels of the city. Waiting for their next chance to attack.
Sigilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2005 03:17
The child continued to cry, and it seemed that noone would take care of her. The kid walked slower and slower with every step. The crying and the walking and the scaredness had exausted the child.
It still sobbed, but she didnt cry as loud as before.

Larewen rode her horse from the back of the long line of people towards the little girl.
She passed a worried looking man, who looked like he was about to go to the girl. She smiled at him grimly, and she rode on.
She asked someone to lift the kid up for her and she placed the little girl in front of her.
The girl immedeatelly grabbed her arm and didnt let go.
Larewen rode back towards the man, the girl safely placed in front of her, covered by one arm of Larewen.
She rode next to Braxen.
"The child is exausted. She probably is the only one left alive of her family. My god, how terrible must that be." She looked over her shoulder at the city and the smoke coming from it.
"My name is Larewen." She smiled a bit and put her hand out as a greeting, awaiting his movement.
Dire
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 07, 2005 04:19
"The child is exausted. She probably is the only one left alive of her family. My god, how terrible must that be." She looked over her shoulder at the city and the smoke coming from it.
"My name is Larewen."

His grip was gentle as he took the woman's hand, although she could feel the strength behind it.
"I am Braxen Mardrith, soldier of Gondor under the service of the king." he said with a respectable bow of his head, "Many have lost their own here m'lady."
His eyes fell to the child and he felt his heart drop, "For her there is still hope."

Steadying the silver bay stallion he strode upon the soldier looked back up at Larewen. The sorrow he felt was evident, coupled with the shame of losing his fight for the city.
Sigilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2005 07:07
Larewen could feel the sadness that the man felt.
"Luckily there is hope for all of us here. Not only for her, but also for us. I do not know what you had to leave behind here, but there is hope for you to. We all lost our homes, and most their relatives, but there can be a new life rebuilt..."
She fell silent for a short while.
"I have seen you fight today. You did well, Soldier of Gondor. It is a shame that there were not more of you."
Dire
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2005 09:36
Her words were kind, giving the soldier back some of the pride that was slowly seeping away from him.
There was so much loss, so much sorrow that it carried in the wind.
It might have been his weariness but the soldier thought he could hear the screams of those taken by the orc hoarde. This ate him up inside.

"My thanks for the kind words m'lady." Braxen spoke gently, "I too wished we could have done more."

Quieting his tone Braxen leaned back against the high cantle of his saddle. The armor weighed heavily upon his shoulders, moreso against his painful shoulder where the orc had wounded him during the battle earlier.
It's blood still was still staining the silver of his chestplate, black in contrast to the lighter color.

"I am leading a party to Edoras to call for aid." As a soldier Braxen knew well that his life was forfeit should it be needed, hope was something he saw for his family and those around him. Not something he sought for himself.
"We will return to the city, the orcs will be overtaken. That is our hope."
His dark eyes turned forward, "To rebuild and continue on."

Iberias snorted and flicked his tail against his coat, lazily he was moving forward.
The stocky silver bay stallion's journey would be a long one.
Sigilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2005 10:04
Larewen nodded.
Hope was needed, if there was no hope, then their goal wouldnt be reached. She continued riding next to him, with the child sleeping safely in one arm.
"If you wish to be alone, then say so. It is just, I havnt spoken to anyone yet, and my friends are not with the refugees. I have noone to talk to."
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: November 09, 2005 05:56
For some hours they rode at the rear of the solemn line of evacuees, following the winding path into the mountain. The road was a hard one, of rocks and boulders. It did not make their already difficult passing any easier; nor for those on horseback, nor for those on foot. Thus far, no one had been injured worse than a lightly sprained ankle here and there. As she rode at the utter back, except for the guards that had left the city last, she thought of their oncoming journey, their ride to Edoras. She looked forward to where Braxen rode, now accompanied by a woman clad in green. On her right arm she held a burden, but from her angle, Nindeth could not see what it was. Soon though, a strand of blond peeked from it nd she realized it was a child. The same child, in fact, that had been crying and calling for its parents a few moments ago. She had figured to leave it to someone else; children did not generally like her, Doria being an exception.

She was glad he had asked her to join him to seek help; she would not know what to do with herself if she were to stay behind. Perhaps this way, she could be of some use.
Not far from them, Verian and Jakelyn rode, talking to each other. It was good, she thought, that Verian was coming with them; her skills would be essential if anything might happen. She hoped though that this would not be the case. The boy Jakelyn she was still doubtful of. She knew he wanted to go badly, to follow in his brother's footsteps, to make him proud. She merely hoped that would not interfere with their appointed task.
Every now and then, she would catch a glimps of dark curls from before Verian, the locks of the Elf in front of her. Arranna puzzled her most of all; she seemed so very young, too young. Then again, you could never know with the fair folk. With her head in these thoughts and more, she rode on alone.

Finally, when the sun stood low in the sky, right before them, hiding behind jagged tips now and then, they arrived at the hidden guard post. Shouts of joy arose, for they walked a long time and rested very little. At the back of the line, Nindeth raised herself in her stirrups and shaded her eyes with her hand, for the late light of sun made it difficult to see far. Over the heads of those before her, she could see a fairly wide opening ahead of the road. It was not quite a valley, but more of a plateau, protected by walls of stone from each side. Sunlight rarely reached this place, save on moments when it shone from special angles, from behind lower points in the mountain chain. It was by no means a large plateau, but they would manage to give all the refugees a place. For the time being, there stood only a watchtower, facing South. On any ordinary day, two soldiers would stand there, keeping watch on any possible threat from the South. In days of peace though, this had un-officially been reduced to just one soldier. On the whole, there were three, who worked in shifts; they were relieved every three weeks. At the base of the scaffolding, there stood a simple cabin, with room enough to occupy only one man. This was to ensure that there would always be two on the lookout, while only one at a time could get some rest.

Today, the two soldiers who were off duty, were playing a game of dice in front of the cabin as the evacuees arrived. They immediately jumped up and walked up to meet the head of the line. It was not that they had not heard the feet or the voices or th hooves, certainly not. but they had been there for near to three weeks now and had to seen anything out of the ordinary. They wished to go home to their wives and children and had simply discarded it as the little rocks and smaller boulders that went tumbling once in a while, echoing a thousand times.
The people spread out, gathering in familiar group and looking for family they hoped would be here. Alas, they not always were. As the soldiers up front relayed the news of recent events to the two watchers, the healers busied themselves with setting up a camp, getting help from a few men and women. Instead of withdrawing in a corner with the elder healers, Nevian, the Head of the Houses, stood among the others, directing and helping them.
Nindeth sat back in her saddle and urged her steed on as most of the people had now left the line to the make-shift camp in progress. She rode past others, to the poles at the east side of the clearing, where three horses stood tied. In times of need, the soldiers would use them to reach the city, if possible. Already several people stood there, releasing their horses from their saddles. She gracefully slid from her grey's back and tied him to the nearest pole, before unsaddling him like the others. When she was satisfied, she stroked its neck, and whispered, ''Thank you.'' She then moved to the other horses and helped their owners, or borrowers, to do the same to them. She knew Braxen would not leave immediately, and if he had news on his plan, he would have to come to her; she was not about to sit around and wait.

[Edited on 9/11/2005 by ~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~]
Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2005 12:47
((WE just moved and our internet is not yet up, it will be a few more days...someone please keep Jakelyn, mary and Grandel in for me!))

Jakelyn nodded and then said, "I'll be alright. There's no way I could fall asleep on a horse." he smiled reasureingly at her.

Mary occupied herself in fumbleing with the skirts of her blue dress. Her blonde curls bounced with the horses strides. She looked at Doria.
"Hullo." she said. "what's your name?"

Grandel shivvered. The wind grew and tiny droplets of rain hit him like ice. He could hear something, but he wasn't entirly sure what it was. He hoped it wasn't the orcs comeing after him.

((When is he going to meet up with them?))
Sarobandago
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2005 04:38
(YAY! I have time to post!)

Aranna had been riding in front of Verian for a long time her companion saying nothing. Finally fhe heard Verian say, "You can ride with me if you are too sleepy to ride on your own."

"I'm fine, There is so much going on that I couldn't fall asleep." She replied. But all the excitement had worn her out and contrary to her words within a few moments she was dozing in her seat :sleepy: .

(Was that ok? If not just let me know and I'll change it.)
Dire
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2005 04:41
"Your company is well appreciated m'lady." Braxen replied gently. As they continued on he spoke of the ride he would be taking to Edoras, asking Larewen if she would wish to join in the journey.
After all it was a terrible thing to be alone, he knew this.

With her to converse with the trip came and went for the strong soldier, he smiled when the familiar sights of the watchtower came into view.
It was a sight he never thought would seem to look so good.

They had made it.

"I must take my leave Larewen. If you do choose to join the party to Edoras, we leave before first light tomorrow."
Bowing his head Braxen took the reins up in his hands, "I hope to see you there."

With those words spoken the soldier uttered a word and Iberias took to a brisk trot, moving through the crowd as his master sought to find his own family.
There were so many strangers, people he had never seen before building small makeshift shelters and gathering their belongings.
When Braxen would pass the people would bow their heads in respect for the soldier, something not asked for, but well earned. He slowed Iberias when he heard an all to familiar barking, with a smile the reins were pulled back as the soldier dismounted Iberias.

"Daddy!" came a small child's voice and before Braxen could react little arms were wrapped about his leg. He didn't hesitate to bring his son up into his arms.
"He's stubborn, I give him that." Celest said aloud as she came up to her husband, a sleeping baby in her arms, "I know where he get's it from."

"Aye." Braxen replied wrapping a sore arm about his wife's shoulders happy to be with his family, and to see them safe.
"but you married this stubborn fool."

Her smile widened, "That I did. And I don't regret any of it my love."
Braxen would tell them later, of the trip, for now he wanted to spend this night with the ones he loved.
He wanted to remember this should he meet his end.

#####################

Later that night all were set, most slept as they were weary from the long trip. One could hear a few whispers, the sounds of a horses's nicker, and the late night callings of the wolves hiding away in the mountains.
Braxen had just met with the king, he was given his instructions and a parchment.

Now he sat before a dwindling fire Thorn at his side as he ran his fingers through the dog's grizzled fur.
With the heavy armor from his shoudlers Braxen felt more relaxed, it was only enhanced by the soft breathing of the little girl that slep peacefully upon his chest.

From afar Celest watched her husband with a smile, he was so strong and yet when he held little Astra and Maxemar in his arms he was tender. Loving.
It was in his arms where she too felt safe.
Finishing what she was doing Celest walked over to him, taking a place at his side and placing a hand gently beside the baby's cheek.

"Celest, I have to leave." he said simply wanting to get the words out but not truly finding the strength, "I've been placed in charge of a party heading to Edoras, we go to find aid."

Her eyes were full of sorrow but she did not cry, "I know." she whispered back to him, "I know."
Braxen pulled her closer to him, his family was together and he would be leaving them behind.

The flames before them began ebbing away....
Sigilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 10, 2005 09:03
Larewen did not decide yet.
"Ill think about it." she replied.
"You'll see it tomorrow."

Larewen rode her horse onto the plateau. She was searching for someone that could take care of the little kid the was holding.
She dismounted her horse, what woke the little one.
"Mommy?" the girl asked. Larewen looked at her sadly.
"I am not your mommy dear." She replied.

Suddenly a cry was heard. "KATHRINA!!!"
A teenage girl ran towards them.
"Dahlia!" the little girl exclaimed and larewen let go of her quickly.
"I lost you in the crowd! I couldnt find you antmore!" Dahlia said.
She looked at Larewen. "You took care of her! I was told by her parents that I had to watch over her, they went to fight the orcs off. I am their neighbours daughter. Thank you so much!"

Larewen smiled. "I was happy to do so. I couldnt leave her crying."
The girl smiled. "Thank you again!"
The girl decided to hug her.
"Come Kathrina! Lets go to my father!"
Karthina waved at Larewen. "Bye!!" they both called and then they were lost in the crowd of people searching their beloveds.
~Mirilien~Undómiel~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 10, 2005 09:14
(( Darn, I really have issues with my references ))

"I'll be alright. There's no way I could fall asleep on a horse." Jakelyn answered her. "Alright then." At that moment the elf in front of her began to speak. "I'm fine, There is so much going on that I couldn't fall asleep." "I'm sorry?" Verian replied confused, not remembering having asked her something. But then she smiled. "O I'm sorry," She laughed. "I meant that Jakelyn could come ride with me, if he was too sleepy." She noticed that Aranna, though she had told her otherwise, was getting dozy and so Verian brought her arms closer to the Elf's body; it would be safe for her to fall asleep now.

A few hours later they finally arrived at the guard post. "Aranna," Verian softly spoke to the maiden in front of her. "we have arrived at our destination." Verian dismounted and once the Elf had done the same, she led the mare to a place where she could drink some water and eat a little bit of food. She quickly unsaddled her and once she had made sure the mare was standing comfortly, she turned to the girl. "Do you have any relations to go to, Aranna?"

~~~

Doria looked at the young girl who had been left behind with them. "Hullo," the little girl said. "What is your name?" "I"m Doria." She answered, glad to have somebody to speak to. She did not quite understand why they had to leave so suddenly, nor did she know why her mother was too busy to play games with her.

(( I don't have much time now, I'm sorry ))
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: November 10, 2005 12:56
After she had helped fastening and unsaddling all the horses, the sun had sunk even lower, darkness creeping over the plateau. A few small fires had been laid and many gathered around them, talking and telling stories. She did not wish to join any of them, quite frankly, not in the mood for tales, neither sad nor merry. And so she walked about the camp a bit, treading softly as no to disturb those that were getting ready to take their rest in makeshift shelters. Small children that had ran about first, excited at the adventure they thought they had coming, now sat with their parents, sleepy-eyed and nodding off in their arms.

At the north side of the plateau, she heard a soft sound, one that she instantly recognized. She followed it to its source, which she encountered in a shaded corner, hidden from curious eyes. ‘’There you are; I was beginning to wonder,’’ Nadúon spoke softly. In his hand, he held the small flute he had been playing earlier, one he had fashioned himself. It was about a hands length and slim, quite small for a man to play. But his fingers were long and slim, and he alone as its maker knew how to play it well. In the shadows of his cover sun nor moon shone, for the first had just set in seas far away, while the latter was just starting its ride to follow the other, but Nindeth knew just how it would gleam sliver in the face of the moon, for it was not made of wood, but of bone.

Nindeth lowered herself to the stone floor besides him, resting her back against the wall. She looked out to the camp, every now and then making out familiar shapes; Verian, Dorian, Arachas. After a while, she looked but saw nothing and she redirected her gaze to the dark skies. For a long time they sat there, watching the moon ride across the firmament, outshining every star close-by. When it was nearing to its highest point, she bowed her head. ‘’I leave for Edoras with Braxen, you saw him, to seek aid with the King for our city.’’ Nadúon did not skip a beat, ‘’I know.’’ Nindeth turned to look at him, though not as surprised as she might have been, had she not grown up with him; he merely smiled. ‘’He is a good man; a warrior. He will lead you well.’’ He shook his head, chuckling slightly, ‘’This will not suit well with them, you know this.’’ Nindeth looked out into the encampment, her eyes finding the two men. Ballindon sat at a near fire, laughing and telling tales to entertain certain maidens and impress certain young men; Arachas on the other hand, sat withdrawn with some friends, glancing at the fire ever so often, taking matters more serious. ‘’You will tell them, won’t you?’’ she said in a small voice. She was in no mood to talk to them now, it would be far to tiring. Even so, she intended to return, so she refused to say good-byes of that sort.
Nadúon gazed at the maiden unseen, her face now pale in the silver gleam of the white half moon. ‘’I will, but they won’t like it.’’ Nindeth settled with that response and pulled the thin blanket that she had been able to get closer around herself. She still did not know when they would be leaving, and a small voice inside her thought maybe Braxen had forgotten.
And so they sat together as Nindeth’s head and eyes grew heavy and sleep swept her away. Nadúon carefully laid her down, but did not sleep himself. He gazed at the stars of Arda, spread over Varda’s midnight rode, with his pale grey eyes; eyes that held more than here and now.

[Edited on 11/11/2005 by ~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email