Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Dire
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Living in Silence
on: October 11, 2005 06:53
Braxen smiled and politely bowed his head quickly in respect, "You have reason to do such m'lady." he replied as he followed the woman down the hall, "I did not wish to interupt your rest."

She led him to a room as the beds were filled, Braxen winced as he took a seat moving his hand away so that he could look at the bruise, which had grown and shed it's purple/black color almost down his chest. Luckily the bleeding from the slight puncture had stopped for the moment.
There were other wounds, smaller bruises about his chest and back from weapons that did not make it past his armor plating. But those were normal and expected from a soldier after battle.

~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 08:56
"You have reason to do such m'lady. I did not wish to interrupt your rest." She nodded as a reply and gestured for him to follow her. She went to right hallway, peering into every room, hoping to find a free one, or at least a free bed. But luck was not on her side at the moment, for all the beds were taken up. She chewed her bottom lip; she needed to find a place for him soon, he needed medical attention right away. She stopped short when she saw her only option, a smaller storeroom, where water was boiling and cloths were stacked, just as in the larger one. This one was far smaller, though contained enough room to move, and held three simple wooden chairs. Gesturing to the closest chair, she softly spoke, ''I am sorry, but this here is the only place that I can offer you. I would give you a place in one of the rooms, but seeing as how you still need some healing first, that might not be such a wise move.''

She stepped back so he could enter the room and then followed him. He sat down on the chair and looked at his wound, dark purple spreading over his chest. Nindeth gulped slightly, this was far beyond her simple skills. Even so, she was determined to do her best. So she drenched a cloth and placed it over the point where the skin was broken, and told him to hold it there. ''I am but a messenger; I am not a recognized Healer. I must leave you for a moment, but I will return with someone that can help you.'' She quickly turned and ran out the room, heading for the other storeroom, hoping to catch some resting Healers there. The thought crossed her mind that she had not even asked for his name. Shaking it off, she skidded to a halt and entered the room. Six pairs of eyes turned on her, looking questioning. ''I need a Healer! There is a man, he is badly wounded, I placed him in the other storeroom due lack of room.'' Idreth immediately jumped up and rushed out the door, Nindeth leading her to the room. On the way, she filled the Healer in the best she could on the man's status. ''What is his name?'' she woman asked her hurriedly, as the approached the room. ''I do not know,'' she answered, receiving a reproaching look from her elder.

Inside, Idreth immediately set to work, cleaning the wound the best she could. While she worked on his wounds, she asked him for his name. To Nindeth she called, ''Find me that salve with aconite and nettle. You know the one I mean?'' Nodding, Nindeth maneuvered around the man and Idreth and searched the planks with jars and phials, running her finger over the nametags until she found the right one. She handed it to Idreth, along with some yard of bandaging cloth she knew the woman would be needing. Nodding a 'thank you' the woman accepted it and set to work on the large wound.
Dire
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 12:08
He would flinch every so often as the healer's tender touch would press against a sore spot upon his skin, but the soldier regained his composure and kept a straight face, after all he was supposed to be strong. Even under adverse situations.

"I am Braxen." he said wincing slightly before he continued looking on with a bit of concern as the woman worked, "Will it heal soon?" he asked her, "The enemy is still at our gates and I have to fight."
The soldier would fight no matter what her answer was, he had to defend his home and it's people. He had to defend his family.

Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 01:20
Jakelyn blew some of his fiery hair out of his face when he heard someone come in. He peered at the man stadning there now with the healer who had helped Mary. They left to another part of the houses and Jakelyn followed. He knew that man was a soldier...or at least like one. He wanted to find out how the war was going and if his brother was okay.
"Ummm..." he stepped in the the room where they were, hideing again in his red hair. "I was wondering, sir, If you knew anything about someone..." he felt his throat burn with anntisipation, "his name is Grandel Hinglo...do you happen to know anything about him?"

((Grandel is Jakelyn and Mary's oldest brother and he went off to the war earlier...come up with any answer you want...I like surprises!))
Dire
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 01:56
((I can change this is you want Legadriel))

"I was wondering, sir, If you knew anything about someone..." he felt his throat burn with anntisipation, "his name is Grandel Hinglo...do you happen to know anything about him?"

Braxen turned to the boy with an odd look, "Grandel; he's not with the wounded?"
A sigh escaped the soldier's lips all were brought in amongst the wounded and the dead, all except the ones taken prisoner by the orcs. Braxen hadn't the heart to tell the boy that his brother's situation was not a good one.

"If he is not here, then the orcs have him." was the only reply that the soldier could come up with, as his heart hurt him as well. Grandel was a soldier at arms, and a true friend. Braxen was certain he had seen the soldier being taken back to the city, he saw the horses taking Grandel away.
Something must have happened to them along the way..

"I am truly sorry..." Braxen apologized the sorrow overtaking his features.

Khurfak kicked one of the humans back and with a quick movement ended his life. Standing as if nothing terrible was done the orc looked at the remaining four Gondorian soldiers, "You will give all the information I seek, stinking wretches." Khurfak threatened licking the blood from his blade as he stood before another knelt soldier, "Tell me what numbers does your force carry!"
The other orcs were careful to keep their distance, when Khurfak was in one of his moods, even their lives were in danger.
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 08:32
When the wound was cleaned, Idreth applied the salve Nindeth had given her and laid a tourniquet with the bandaging cloth. ''Braxen, I have heard that name before, though I cannot remember where.'' She finished the dressing and stepped back. "Will it heal soon? The enemy is still at our gates and I have to fight," he said, a determined look on his face. Idreth shook her head shortly. ''Oh no, you will not fight any time soon, preferable not in this battle!'' She shook her head once more. ''But I doubt you will listen to me or any other Healer; you soldiers are far too stubborn to know what's good for you.'' She wiped her hands on her apron and handed Nindeth the salve back, who placed it one the right place op the plank. ''Let me put it this way: If you fight now, you will be rendered from your arm in a day. If you would take rest now, at least letting the wound heal a bit before you goto battle, you might be able to keep your arm. Still, I'm imploring you, do not fight this war. It will do severe harm to your arm.'' With that the woman whispered a few words to Nindeth and left the small storeroom.

Nindeth looked at Jackelyn. ''If you are here, that means you have not taken your rest, meaning the bed is now vacant. I need it for this patient now.'' She motioned for Brazen to follow her, and so did Jackelyn. Down the hall they entered little Mary's room, where she told Braxen to take the second bed. ''I understand you wish to fight now, more than anything. But we cannot all do what we want, considering circumstances,'' she said, thinking of the freedom outside.
Dire
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2005 07:36
"Some must sacrifice themselves for what matters most." Braxen said to Nindeth gently his eyes following the boy with a heartache difficult to describe, "If I must use but one arm it will be done this fight, I do not wish to see this go on any longer."

He spoke about the suffering he witnessed not from just the battlefield but those left behind. Sadly he knew it possible that he may have to leave his own family behind, but he rathered they live in the world safe without him then suffer a fate much worse at the hands of the orcs.
They would understand when the years passed and others came to bring them warmth... Wouldn't they?

Braxen looked at Nindeth gently, "You seem saddened m'lady, have you someone missing also?"

The soldier breathed deep, wincing when he moved his arm forward just a little too much. Indeed this wound would impede on his ability to wield a shield, but atleast it was not his sword hand.
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: October 12, 2005 07:56
"If I must use but one arm it will be done this fight, I do not wish to see this go on any longer," he said as he took place on the appointed bed. Nindeth busied herself with gathering some old cloths that lay used by the bedside; in times like these they hardly had time to keep the House neet as it would be in peace. ''I do not know how well a fighter you are, but I doubt you will be of much use, with just one arm,'' she said briskly, even though he was many years her senior. She listened patiently while she worked, as he spoke of the suffering he had witnessed, both on the fiels as in the families staying behind with grief and unanswered questions. ''Yet some of the worst crimes are committed in times of peace and quite, outside battle's reach,'' she muttered, more to herself than any.

She stacked the cloths neatly to easier carry them to the washing room, where she could at once pick up some new clean ones. Mary would need some soon, and Braxen would as well, when his dressing would be changed in an hour or two. She looked to the man on the bed, only to see his gently gaze on her."You seem saddened m'lady, have you someone missing also?" She shook her head determinedly and wiped her hands on her dress, she had not put on a working apron when she had come to assist Verian. ''No, I have no one. And please, my name is Nindeth, sir.'' After a moment, she added, ''Sir, if you do not mind my asking, would you please tell me how the battle is wearing now? The last time I saw it, it was still raging like a forest fire in high summer.''
Dire
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2005 09:24
Braxen felt saddened by her loneliness it was trying these times, even more so when one was alone.

"They've backed down." Braxen whispered dryly as memories of the reddened plains caused a whirlwind in his mind, "But I dare say it will not last, orcs are a relentless breed."
She must have known some of their losses, being with the healers Nindeth could have seen the dead laying cold and still for their loved ones to claim. Of that he did not speak of.

His eyes followed her as she worked the soldier did catch her comment, knowing that her words rang of truth. Most of the damage was done when no war was in sight, it was only the outcome that raged for battle.

Sighing he rested his arm behind his head, "I know the orcs intend to regroup and attack when we are at our weakest." his voice quieted, "Our defenses have lost many, and that is why I must fight. A wounded sword is better then none at all."

Braxen pulled a small charm that rested about his neck upon a rope, it was a rock, nothing of importance to the onlooker. In his mind this was the only thing that kept his family close to his heart during the dangers he faced.
Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2005 03:21
((It's perfect!))

Jakelyn was speeckless. He starred dumbfoundedly for a moment, unable to let out tears. He looked away quickly and blinked. His mind was bursting.
They went back to Mary's room. she was till fast alseep and unaware of the trouble of the real world. Jakelyn touchered her hadn and almost wished she wouldn't wake up so that she wouldn't have to know about grandel.
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: October 13, 2005 04:13
"They've backed down. But I dare say it will not last, orcs are a relentless breed," he answered softly, placing his good arm behind his head. "I know the orcs intend to regroup and attack when we are at our weakest,'' he sighed. Nindeth went about and kept folding the cloths, listening patiently to the soldier. "Our defenses have lost many, and that is why I must fight. A wounded sword is better then none at all," he finished, playing with a small stone on a rope around his neck, eyeing it as if it was the single most important thing in the room. ''Truly? And what would your family say to that? Surely we cannot have lost so many forces that now all lays in your hands. Are there no reinforcements? Why have the not lit the beacon on Amon Dîn? Will Rohan not come to our aid?'' she countered, wondering to herself why she argued with him. She shook her head, hearing Idreth's reprimanding voice in her head already. ''I am sorry; I am tiring you while you should be resting. I will leave you be, though I will not be far. Holler if you need anything.''

With that she moved to the other bed, little Mary's, where Jackelyn had once more resumed his place beside her bed. She looked on them both, they both seemed far too young to be mixed up it this. She softly crouched down and nimbly picked up the cloth in bowl. Eyeing it, she judged it was no good to use now, she would have to get some new ones, for both Mary and Braxen. She rose to her feet and took the bowl, throwing the used cloths she'd stacked by Braxen's bed in on her way out. ''I will return soon,'' she said, both to Jackelyn and Braxen. She stepped out into the hall and made her way to the storeroom, stopping by the washroom first to deliver the use cloths where they would be cleaned out. In the storeroom, now more Healers had gathered, drinking some of their own herbal tea to strengthen themselves. While she filled the bowl and took a stack of cloths, and also some bandaging, from a board, she knew that soon they would take up their patients again, and give her other chores and tasks to do, thus leaving the patients in more capable and experienced hands.

Armed with water, cloths and bandage, she walked back to the room where she had now spent most of her time, with exception of the city streets. Inside, she laid some grey cloths by Braxen's bed, before making her way to Mary's. There she sank to her knees and checked the girl's tourniquet and bandaging. The tourniquet was just for the wrist, and needed no replacement; the bandaging on her wound was a different story. Mentally taking a deep breath, she slowly unwound the bled through bandage Verian had lain not an hour ago. She saw Jackelyn looking fro the corner of her eye. ''In the first hour, her bleeding has not stopped, that is not uncommon. It will probably take two or three more re-dressings before the current one is no longer bled through and through. But this is normal, do not worry yourself more,'' she said, hoping it would calm him, though knowing that it probably did not. She placed the old dressing on the small table besides the bed and started laying a new one.

[Edited on 14/10/2005 by ~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~]
Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2005 01:25
Jakelyn nodded. "i know." he was mostly helping himself feel better. He kept looking over at Braxen, wanting to say something, but couldn't. He wanted to help Grandel...but how?

Grandel pressed his body against a tree, trying not to fall over. The orcs pushed them ever further.

((I'll do more later))
Dire
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2005 08:07
"Get up worthless dalgum."

Harshly the orc lifted the soldier to his feet pressing his back hard against the tree and sneering, red eyes staring without mercy into those of the weakened man, "Khurfak orders you life, I would see you bleed."

The orc's words were intelligible although only a few of the band knew good man tongue. Glaring and watching the man stand his ground bodly against his might the orc became raged, he expected submission from the frail fool, actually he demanded it.
Without hesitation there was a rusted dagger in the orc soldier's hand, raised and pointed at Grandel's head. "Man blood tastes good." the orc mocked and the blade made it's decent.

But instead of finding it's aim the orc was hit hard in the face by a large fist, causing his knife to lodge itself into the trunk of the tree nicking the soldier's ear slightly. Khurfak did not take kindly to being ignored. The other orc raised his arm as a sword was brought forth, but his fate was already decided. And Khurfak stood above the fallen orc, turning the blade clockwise before he pulled it free.
"Harm this man!" he growled in black speak to his soldiers, "And you see your end."

Around them the orcs mumbled but backed away allowing Khurfak to confront the man, "You will give me what I ask." he hissed motioning for the soldiers standing beside the horse to allow the beast his freedom.
Startled by the smack to his chestnut haunches the horse whinnyed violently before dashing from the camp, small bags were attached to his saddle. And from those bags a red liquid oozed.

The big Lieutenant moved away from his man charge, "Your kind mourn their dead, They will bury what we give them."

His morbid words spoken Khurfak snarled at Grandel before walking away.
################

''Truly? And what would your family say to that? Surely we cannot have lost so many forces that now all lays in your hands. Are the no reinforcements? Why have the not lit the beacon on Amon Dîn? Will Rohan not come to our aid?'' she countered, wondering to herself why she argued with him.

Braxen gave the girl a worried look.. Indeed they have been summoned, but there was no reply of their intent.
He did not know what allies they held any longer, and if there were any, would they come before the final storm?
"If it were in my hands alone." he whispered in shame, "Then I fear for all those I hold to my heart."
The soldier sighed and lay his head back deep in thought. Soon he would need to return to his family, he would have to tell them goodbye.

Outside upon the planes a chestnut horse barded in Gondorian garb made a steady pace to his home, behind him upon his path was a trail of blood.
Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2005 08:32
Grandel flinched when the orc was knocked away and it's blade barely hit him. He let out a slow breath of relief.
The lieutenant spoke to him harshly. "Your kind mourn their dead, they will bury what we give them."
Grandel swallowed back a cry of hatred, and merely whatched as they smacked his horse away.
He gritted his teeth as they pressed forward. His wrists burned from the rope harshly tied about them, cutting deeply into him flesh.

Jakelyn sat down and rubbed his hands together just to fidget. He couldn't stay in one place too long. After a moment he finally got up and went over to Braxen for the second time.
Hideing behind his red hair he said in a quiet voice, "How long do you think Grandel's been missing?"
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: October 15, 2005 01:41
Nindeth finished dressing Mary's wound without interruption. The little girl had muttered a few words, but no more than an any person in an ordinary dream would speak. Yet even so, she seemed more awake than she had been before; the effects of the tea were wearing off. Nindeth frowned. Surely the hour had not passed so soon? Maybe Verian had not made the tea strong enough? Nindeth quickly shook that thought away, it was impossible. Than the hour had already passed, she reasoned, she simply had been too busy to notice.
She decided not to tell Jackelyn yet, he was finally focused on something else, and she wouldn't wake up for another half hour. She glanced over to the other bed, where Braxen and Jackelyn were in deep conversation, no doubt about the war and Grandel. She finished cleaning up Mary and, not wanting to disturb the two men, she stepped out of the room and sat down besides the doorway, her straight back to the wall.

Soon, she heard footsteps coming from down the hall. She looked to the side to see Verian walking towards her, tucking a stray strand of dark brown hair behind her ear. Nindeth smiled softly and raised her hand in greeting of the Healer. Verian mirrored her movements and stopped before her. ''I thought you were to rest at home?'' Nindeth asked, looking up at the woman. ''I have rested enough; the Healers are needed again.'' She hurriedly cast a glance down the hall, to where she had been going. ''I should go, I am patrolling on the other hall; I only came here to see how things were.'' Nindeth answered, ''Go then, we're managing it. Mary will wake up within the hour.'' Verian nodded. ''I will try to come then.'' With that she went to the other hall, checking all the room and patients.
Nindeth sat on her spot, wondering what chores the Healers would come up with for her.

((I hope it's okay, MU! I thought I'd bring Verian back in the Houses at least, just in case we let it be taken over. We'd need her close then. If there's anything you don't like, just name it and I'll change it. ))
Dire
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2005 08:25
Braxen's fingers stopped rolling the charm about his palm when Jakelyn spoke to him.

"How long do you think Grandel's been missing?"

Such a hard thing to speak of, especially when it was a loved one who asked what could not be answered rightly.
"He was at my side, for how long I cannot say. But the orcs were underestimated we could not hold them off by our own." the soldier held back from telling the boy just how Grandel had been injured to save him atleast some of the pain he now endured.

"Two of our patrol pulled him back when.... when he got wounded. I did not see him after that, how long he has been in the grasp of the enemy I do not know."

Braxen put a strong hand gently on Jakelyn's shoulder, "Your brother fought bravely, keep faith in that."

When the soldier sat up slightly he winced from the pain, pulling his legs to the side he shakily stood trying to gather his balance.
Giving the boy a saddened glance Braxen headed for the door, "When the healer returns, send her my thanks. Tell her I've made my decision, I cannot stay behind this fight. Not with the thought that Grandel is suffering under orc punishment."
His eyes turned down while he took hold of the wall to go out of the room.

The chestnut stallion's hooves shook up the dust as the large animal went full speed in a fury toward the large gates. Only when he was close did his speed slow, stamping his hooves to the ground so that he could stop his motion before he went right into the closed gate. Uttering a shrill high pitched whinny the frightened animal began to make circles before the gate, his nostrils flared and ears back when he felt the warm wet stickyness upon his haunches.

"You see that?" a gate guard spoke as he looked down upon the shaking animal, "it's one of our own."

"What has it upon it's back?" asked the other looking down at the bundle situated upon the animal's saddle.

The first shrugged and motioned for the one controlling the gate to open it. Slowly the gate began to creep open and the horse stomped his hooves in response, more then willing to get back to his warm stall where he would find fresh oats and a tender touch. As the guards took the chestnut's reins the horse walked behind them. None saw the frail figure slip from the confines of the sack he was hiding in. With skin as black as soot the figure slipped into a crevice within the great wall surrounding the city. He was an elf slave once, but was twisted and disfigured by the orcs and their masters until he became a mindless creature bid to serve the ones who mastered him. And here in this city he had one task, to open the city gates when the time came.

All attention from citizens was now upon the horse whose rider did not sit high upon it's back. The people whispered amongst themselves as the captain of the guard himself came down to inspect the animal, he recognized the horse and knew of it's master.

Rubbing the animal's bloodied side he lifted open one of the sadly made leather sacks, then gasped before backing up. The sack fell apart and something fell from it down onto the ground, to their shock it was a head. The other sacks contained the heads of the other soldiers that went missing from the last fight, all were there but two.

"The orcs mock us." the captain of the guard said with heavy disdain, "They will bring fight again, we must prepare."
As the Captain left the horse was taken to the stables to be cleaned, he would ride out again this next battle. But for now family for the soldier who owned him must be notified of their loved one's capture. As the captain did not see Grandel's head among those returned.

"They took the bait Khurfak."
"Then prepare our forces." the orc muttered as he gave his advisor a side long glance, "Prepare them for war."
The smaller orc nodded and slinked away in a hunched position, after all his body had been damaged so badly that he was disfigured even for an orc. Khurfak on the other hand looked out across the planes, to his left was the torn city, and to his right. His prize, Minas Tirith.

((It's began, give the orcs a bit to get there, and my sneaky slave pet time to rid the sentrys of their posts.))

[Edited on 15/10/2005 by Dire]
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: October 15, 2005 08:41
Nindeth was shaken from her thoughts when she heard a muttering voice, closer than Braxen and Jackelyn's had been not long before, but not directly aimed at her either. "When the healer returns, send her my thanks. Tell her I've made my decision, I cannot stay behind this fight. Not with the thought that Grandel is suffering under orc punishment." Her head snapped up to the doorway and her eyes grew wide and storm-like with what she saw there. She immediately jumped to her feet and crossed the few yards between herself and the entrance to the room. Her face was set in a resolved look as she placed both her hands on Braxen's chest and pushed him back into the room roughly, not pushing too hard to knock him off balance. ''I am sorry, but you are not going anywhere, sir. You came here in your own free will to heal, to receive medical attention. Now that you're here, we will see to the healing, but that means you will have to listen to me.'' She pushed him a bit more, backing him up in the room. When she was satisfied with the distance between Braxen and the doorway, she stepped back and placed her hands on her sides. ''Just what do you think you can do for Grandel? Push your way through the enemy lines? With one good arm?''

[Edited on 15/10/2005 by ~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~]
Sarobandago
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2005 10:38
Arranna had tended many patients and now she wasn't sure where she was needed most. So she decided to ask someone. ''Just what do you think you can do for Grandel? Push your way through the enemy lines? With one good arm?'' "Excuse me, is something wrong here?" she asked as she stood in the doorway.
Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2005 01:10
Jakelyn stared, and then his mind was set firm, "I'm going, too." he said rather crossly and followed Braxen. "I won't let them get by brother's head without fighting for it." he glanced back over at Mary who was sleeping feverishly. He sighed and closed his eyes momenttarily and then followed Braxen.
Dire
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2005 06:32
''Just what do you think you can do for Grandel? Push your way through the enemy lines? With one good arm?''

Braxen looked away from her, "Sometimes it takes the will of one to move things along." he said to Nindeth gently as he moved her aside, "I appreciate what you and the healer have done, but I really must do what I can."

It was in his heart to defend all that he was asked and more, there was so much here in this city at stake. And the soldiers have been rendered to the point of almost being unable to do their task.
No aid would come for them now, and Braxen knew in his heart that it was not looking good for them all.

As he walked to the door he bowed his head in respect to the girl,"Nothing is wrong healer." he explained to Arranna leaving her and entering the hallway.

It was then that he heard Jaeklyn's words and turned around. With his hand he stopped the boy and shook his head, "And where do you think you're going?" he asked as he looked the boy over.
Jaeklyn was determined, Braxen would give him that. Suddenly there were soldiers rushing to their posts. Braxen forgot about Jaeklyn for the moment, grabbing one of his fellow brother's shoulders and spinning the man around.

"What has happened?" he asked the soldier, the look returned was of fear.
"The orcs have begun their march towards the city."

"They what?"
The soldier shook his head shamefully, "We're evacuating the city, taking the elderly, women and children from the danger through safe passage in the mountains."

Braxen didn't take the time to listen, he ran to the wall, climbed up the stairs and looked down. What he saw made his blood run cold.
The orc army had grown and were now moving toward the city gates. With a look of uncertainty in his eyes Braxen ran back down to Jaeklyn, "Go get the healers, tell them we need to evacuate the city." the look he gave the young man was a look of reassurance, "Make sure your sister is well to travel and hurry, if you can wield a weapon. Be ready to use it."

Braxen whistled and Iberias trotted to him, he looked back at the boy and nodded before rushing the stallion to his home.

##########

The enemy was growing as new reinforcements were arriving to join in the brutal conflict. Khurfak glared toward the great walls of the city as he heard his soldiers come stomping up behind him. The soldier had told him nothing, in return Khurfak sent four of his soldiers to execute the measly man as he was now done with him and had no more uses for the fool. Now his time had come and the strong orc was gazing at his treasure, his prize, his city. In no time he wished to hold the lower portions and were killing those they found inside, Khurfak did enjoy the screams.
At his side two orcs fought over a dead soldier's armor while the others continued their march towards the city of man.

"Khurfak, do we break the gate?"

"Not yet." the orc replied to his general "The city is ours, there is no need to hurry. The fools have nowhere else to go now." Khurfak's eyes burned with devilish intent, "Make them live their fear before their end."
He was certain all was under is control.

######

With a sharp kick the orc shoved Grandel into the dirt, raising his blade he intended to plunge the weapon into the man's skull when a strong grasp stopped him.
"Khurfak did not order you to kill the man!" another orc hissed violently in his tongue, grabbing the blade back and shoving the other back.

Durmog sneered, "The soldier was mine to kill, you have no rank Snrat!"

"Nor do you!" Snrat hissed back.

Behind them the other two orcs, not really paying any mind to the useless banter ignored their leader and turned to walk away. They weren't going to get any fun out of this anyways.

Snrat and Durmog began to tussle before the fight began to turn bloody, they forgot about the man they were sent to kill.

((sorry for all the edits, my computer messed up on me.))
[Edited on 18/10/2005 by Dire]

[Edited on 18/10/2005 by Dire]
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: October 17, 2005 10:37
((Welcome, Sarobandago! Could you tell me about how old Arranna is? Then I know what to describe her as: ))

Inside, Nindeth turned cold as she was pushed aside. "Sometimes it takes the will of one to move things along." But in what direction? she wondered silently. She turned coldly away from Braxen and crossed her arms over her chest. ''Very well, do as you must,'' she muttered darkly. Her gaze wandered over Mary's bed; the little girl was all alone now. She could not believe that Jackelyn truly considered going to war with Braxen; how could he leave her here, even if she would not wake soon? She would raise objections, question motivations, but she stubbornly held her peace. Her words were a waste of her breath. She remembered the Healer in the hallway and called her in, not wishing to step out herself. She inclined her head to the young woman and asked, ''I trust you are well, Arranna. All the Healers are back in the Houses then? I saw a fair number of them in the storeroom earlier; do you know who is in charge right now?''

But before the maiden could answer, they heard Braxen's voice, hasting and urging. "Go get the healers, tell them we need to evacuate the city. Make sure your sister is well to travel and hurry, if you can wield a weapon. Be ready to use it." Nindeth quickly strode to Mary's bed and checked the girl's progress; she would still be awake for some time, but she could be carried. She got on her feet and moved to Arranna, ''We should help the Healers gathering all able patients. If you take the left wing, I'll take the right; alert every Healer you see, but do not alarm the patients.'' She turned to the doorway. ''Jackelyn, when you've told the heads in the storeroom, you can take Mary, the only way she can come is if she is carried.''

In the hall they split up, Jackelyn and Arranna to the left, Nindeth to the right. She checked the room for Healers, noting the patients with severe injuries at the same time. In the entire corridor, she encountered five Healers and three helpers, like herself. Each of them started laying the final hand on dressings and prepared their patients for the evacuation, staying as calm as possible. Unfortunately, not all patients were there for headaches or even simple sword wounds; some included heavily wounded soldiers, who would need help getting away.

When she'd reached the end of the hall, or rather, the beginning, she saw a line of soldiers making their way into the Houses, dividing themselves in three groups. The Head must have acted immediately when Jackelyn had alerted her, she thought to herself. One marched into the left hallway, where Arranna was helping with the preparations; one moved into the right corridor and the last stayed behind in the small courtyard in front of the building. The troupes had been sent from the field; more than 12 they could not spare from the fresh soldiers. The first two groups were now joining forces with the Healers, debating whether they could take all the more severe cases with them, or that might have to stay behind.

But before she give voice to the questions in her head, Navien advanced on her and two other helpers behind her. Each of them quickly bowed her head. ''M'lady, all the Healers and other helpers are preparing the patients. Are there not other tasks to do?'' So spoke the red haired girl, Myrath, on her right. She herself knew what needed to be done, but she doubted it would be praised if she did so herself. Instead, she listened as Navien gave the answer she knew she'd give. ''It is good that you have not yet joined the others, for indeed we need more done than simply preparing them. I need the three of you to gather as much bandage, gaze and pain relieving ointments and potions as you can. Make several knapsacks, one for each helper.'' They nodded in unison, ''Yes, m'lady,'' and made their way to the great storeroom. There they moved quickly and efficiently, one gathering sheets and folding them to act as knapsacks, another filling them with gaze and bandage and the last searching the planks for the right potions and salves.

((Oops! Sorry guys, it got a bit bigger than I thought it would! ))

[Edited on 18/10/2005 by ~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~]
Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 01:28
Jakelyn was about to protest, but he didn't have to. He followed Braxen, tring not to run ahead of him on his long legs.
He nodded at his orders and rushed back to the houses. He was able to get mary, she was wide awake. She smiled when he entered the room and asked, "Is Grandel comeing?" Jakelyn was silent. "No. Not yet, but soon. Soon." he said reasureingly. Mary grinned.
"Come on." he said and took her up in his arms. She was very thin and light to carry, he could run with her on his hip.
He left the houses and went back to where Braxen had left and sat her down on a stone bench. "Stay here." he said. "If I'm not back by sunset, find someone to take you in. Understood?"
Mary nodded.

Grandel cowered and threw his hands over his head, awaiting the blow...it never came.
The orcs began to brawl. His eyes darted from one place to another. All the orcs were fighting. He got up. Lokked around and then made for it.
He went as fast as he could, letting his legs stride out so that he went farther faster. As he ran, he worked on the ropes on his wrists. he bit at them and finally ripped one. His wrists were red and cut underneath. he was able to run faster after his hands were free.
He ran and ran until he could run no more and then he collapsed on the ground. breathing hard and sweating.
Darkness swept in and he fainted.

((ooooooo, I can't wait till they find him!!!))
Dire
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 01:50
Celest was outside retrieving her family's drying clothes when the sharp hoof steps of her husband's war horse caused her to jump.

"Braxen! You scared me?"

He leapt from Iberias's back and ran to her, "There's no time Celest, get Maxemar and Astra. We have to leave!"

"But.. What happened."

Braxen hurried her into the house and began to throw small items into sacks that he knew they would need, "The orcs are going to attack Celest." he said not realizing that Maxemar had woken from his sleep and was watching from the other room, "We cannot stand our grand any longer."

"So we leave?" she gasped out still in a bit of shock and somewhat saddened by the fact of leaving her home behind. The look he gave her was answer enough. Celest wasted no time as she ran to gather Astra's blankets and a some supplies for what journey they would be taking.

Braxen lifted the heavy sacks with a painful grunt, forgetting the pain in the name of haste he ran outside to the small makeshift stalls he had built for Iberias and the family mare Coila.
The small black mare snorted as her slumber was interrupted and he placed her bridle and the homemade saddle upon her wide back. Braxen pat the mare as he set the sacks upon her back, "Come Coila." he said to her with a gentle tone as he led the mare to the front door. Celest was already waiting, in her arms was Astra bundled warm and safe in some soft leathers and alpaca furs. Maxemar rubbed his eyes sleepily, "We going on a trip daddy?"

Braxen smiled lifting Celest onto the mare's back and turning to his sleepy little boy, "Yes Maxemar, we're going on a trip."
The father held his son close for a moment before setting the little boy upon the saddle before Celest. With a whistle Thorn ran from the house, his family was together. Braxen mounted Iberias, "Celest keep Coila close to Iberias, we don't want to lose one another." he said to her as he moved the larger stallion next to the mare, "We are taking the path through the mountains."

Her eyes faded momentarily, "The mountains?"

"It's the only way Celest." Braxen said as he leaned close to her and pressed his lips to hers.
"Oooooh!" Maxemar laughed and Braxen ruffled the little boy's hair with a smile.
"Let's go." he said tapping his boots against Iberias's side and leading his family throught the bustling streets back to the houses of healing.
Braxen would not leave Jakelyn nor his sister alone in this...

################

Their steps were sure as the brutes walked the barren grounds before Minas Tirith. Khurfak was in the front line, his sights had been focused on the city. And it was almost his.
History would be made this day..
The space between both the enemy and the city walls was beginning to close.

((Sorry for the length.. I got inspiration and stuff))
Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 03:36
Jakelyn went to the armory. He lifted a few swords and swung them. He found a long double-edged to fit his arm and took it.
He raced toward the houses again and then weeled left when he saw Braxen.
~Mirilien~Undómiel~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 22, 2005 01:22
Carefully did Verian check every single room to see where her help was needed. Sometimes she would step inside to change a bandage or pour a bit of an easing tea, but most of the times she was content with what she saw. Most patiens had been brought in by now, and because of the large amount of healers gathered together now the wounded were with so many, everything was taken care off. She raised her hand when she saw her mother cleaning a filthy wound, while the little Doria was sitting beside her; her eyes fixed on the gentle movements of her mother's hands. Her mother lifted up her eyes and nodded as reply and her baby sister smiled happily. Verian sighed and wished she had still the naivity only a young child can have, as well as the faith that those you love, will always be there to catch you when you fall.

She stepped outside the room again and softly closed the door, when suddenly she was darted forward by a helper; a young, dark-haired girl, obviously extremely upset by something. She stammered something, but it was impossible to understand. The maiden grabbed the girl by her shoulders and pushed her resolute in a chair, which was standing nearby. She knelt down in front of her and lay down her hands on the girls knees, trying to comfort her a bit. "Tell me slowly what happened," Verian said, kindly but peremptory. The young maiden lifted up her eyes and looked into the healer's. She swallowed and whispered: "The city has to be evacuated; we are outnumbered by the orcs. All patients must get prepared to flee." "Then stand up," Verian said. "put yourself together and make yourself useful. This is not the time to moan." She helped the girl get up and walked back into the room, where she whispered softly to her mother. They exchanged a few words, gave each other a quick hug and after she had stroke Doria quickly over her head, Verian left the room again.

As quick as she could she walked back to the room where the little Mary had been, but when she went inside, no one was there. She frowned her eyebrows and crossed her arms in front of her chest; the girl wasn't in the shape to be moved, so where had she gone? But there was no time to waste, and no matter how much she regretted it, she had not the time to go look for her. She rushed out of the room and prepared some less injured to flee, though in her mind she could only think of those too wounded to go.
Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2005 11:00
"Braxen!" Jakelyn waved to getr the man's attention. :The orcs have moved in! They're in the city!"

Mary fidgeted. She wondered why everyone was running. She flipped back a blonde curl and looked around for jakelyn.
Dire
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2005 12:31
Braxen stopped Risen whispering gentle words to calm the fidgety mare that his wife strode upon. With so much happening the black mare was becoming spooked and it was just, after all the smell of the orcs was frightening alone.

The orcs have moved in! They're in the city!" when he heard the boy say this the soldier rode the stallion up to Jakelyn, "Where is your sister?" Braxen asked as he looked around at the crowd that was rushing to the exit out of the city. Many had already passed the bounds of Minas Tirith following guardsmen as they made the dangerous journey to safety.

"She will be lost in this crowd if she hasn't been taken with the wounded Jakelyn. Celest." he yelled over to his wife whose eyes began to take on a fearful look, "Follow those who leave the city and do not look back!"

"Husband!" Celest argued as she moved Coila closer to Risen, "I won't leave you here!"

Braxen shook his head, "Celest, I will be right behind you, always."

She bit back the tears knowing that once Braxen had his mind set, it was impossible to change. Pressing her hand to her lips she motioned to him before the black mare turned and followed the rest of the evacuee's down the stony path.

Not thinking of his own safety Braxen dismounted running to the wall and climbing the stairs leading to the lookout point. When he looked down he felt his body go numb.

Below there were screams and the brutish chants of the orcs as they broke through the main gates.

Khurfak was among the first charge that had entered the city gates. Cleaving his way through the guardsmen meant to slow the brood down the orc lieutanent momentarily glanced up, smiling viciously as he heard the screams of those who did not find safety.
Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2005 01:18
Jakelyn had to keep himself from falling over while people rushed past. "She's waiting for my over near the houses." he said. "I told her to find safety if I don't get back soon."
He folowed Braxen up the steps. "What do we do?" he asked quietly.
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: October 23, 2005 08:42
Nindeth strapped one of the sacks on her back, slinging one of the bands over her left shoulder and pulling the other one to the front from below her right shoulder, tying a knot at the front. Glancing to Myrath and Carallas, she saw that the two other girls were preparing themselves as well. With a nod to the red haired maiden, she grasped four other sacks and flew out into the hall. The three of them had made 15 sacks in all, each of them carrying four in addition to her own, and were now moving through the evacuating people as quickly as possible to hand their load to their colleagues, who were assisting the Healers in the moving of the patients.

Nindeth moved swiftly between the bustle of people, reaching two of her target rather soon, one of them steadying a woman with a badly sprained ankle, who would be laying down if circumstances had allowed it. To one she quickly handed it, the other she helped by strapping it up for her, for she could not let go of the man she was holding, or he would fall. ''Faelassë, where are the others? Are there any of them nearby?'' she asked hurriedly, trying to work as efficiently as possible; she did not want to pass any of them unnoticed. ''I believe Nadúon and Arachas are somewhere here as well; I saw them struggling with some of the heftier patients a while back.'' Armed with that knowledge, she worked her way through the hall, recognizing the two young men by the stark contrast of their hair; one light and radiant as the sun, the other dark and ominous as ebony.

They were, as Faelassë had said, standing with three wounded soldiers, quite a bit older and heavier than they themselves were. They could not carry all three of them, but no one was free to help them, nor could they get a message to any of the other helpers, for two of three needed help staying on their feet. They looked about helplessly, cracking their brains for a solutions, when Nindeth appeared at their sides. ''Nindeth,'' Arachas started as he accepted the sacks she handed to them both, ''I need you to get to Ballindon. We sadly need his help.'' Nindeth glanced to the patients before looking at him, her gaze somewhat guarded. ''I will, but I do not know if I will be able to find him.'' Whatever Arachas wished to answer to that, died on his lips when suddenly Ballindon appeared next to Nadúon, with a woman on his back and a child walking along, holding her mother's skirts. ''Quite soon, I reckon, Nindeth,'' he said with a swift smile. He gently lowered the woman to the ground and moved her to Nindeth, who quickly supported her. The child, a son, quickly followed his mother, gazing at the men with wide eyes. ''So, too much patients, huh?'' Ballindon asked Arachas, though it sounded more like he was stating a fact. Arachas was ready with an angered retort, when Nadúon stopped him. ''Yes, we need your help. They cannot walk; we should each take on the back, and quickly.'' Both men gave each other one last look and then moved to the patients, lifting them to their strong backs, after they had moved their sacks to their front. Nindeth helped them as she could, but because she was holding the woman she could not help them to her best.

As soon as Arachas was loaded, he moved down the hallway, which was now not so busy as it was before; a large part of the patients that were being evacuated, were now gathering near the exit. ''They are probably being lead out to the mountains as we speak,'' Nadúon said, as thought he had read her thoughts. Nindeth was no longer surprised over this, for it often happened; he had a sharp mind. Behind him, Ballindon urged, ''Come now, we should get moving; Nindeth, you too. The Orcs are in the city already and they are nearing every moment.'' Nindeth nodded and slung the woman's arm over her right shoulder, and, taking the child's hand into her left hand, she walked down the corridor to the exit as swiftly as she could, Nadúon and Ballindon following behind her. She kept her keen blue eyes focused on the end of the hallway, trying to tune out the patients in rooms they passed that had to be left behind. All of them, she knew, had been given a dagger or sword for a last attempt to protect themselves, though some would use the for other purposes. In a slow but hurried way, they moved to the doors, where they found themselves among the last leaving the Houses. Behind them, but a few others followed, and the remaining soldiers stood ready to guard the rear of the line of refugees.

Nindeth turned her head and looked back to the place that had always been her home for all her life. But she saw more than the Houses, she saw also the two figures coming down the lookout point; one a good deal taller than the other. She stopped, thanking it only to Nadúon and Ballindon's own slow progress that there was no collision, and released the child's hand and she raised it above her head; she shouted, ''Braxen! Jackelyn!''

[Edited on 24/10/2005 by ~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~]
Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 23, 2005 04:26
Jakelyn spun around and spotted Nindeth. "Braxen!" he nudged him and pointed.
~Mirilien~Undómiel~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 24, 2005 08:52
(( OOC: Sorry, I only have time for a very short post ))

Quickly did Verian help the last patient up and walked him outside. She whispered a few words to the healer waiting to take him over and then went back to the entrance, where a dozen soldiers were on duty. But instead of walking straight back into the Houses, she was gently stopped by a middle-aged soldier. His filthy hair began to grey already and his clothes were splattered with mud and blood. "My Lady, why do you return? All who have a chance to survive have been brought out of the Houses." "I did not mean to go back for those who can survive." "Then there is nothing for you there, I'm afraid I cannot let you pass." The soldier bow his head a little, but it was obvious he didn't take no for an answer. "There are still people in there!" Verian yelled. "You must let me through; they need my help." "My Lady, only dead will wait for you there." "Then so be it." She did not get emotional easily, but now flames glittered in her grey eyes. Behind her the evacuees were already moving out of the city, while the maiden was still trying to find her way to those too injured to leave.
Dire
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2005 09:45
((Welcome Back Celebwen!))

The chants of death came so deep and powerful as Braxen turned his eyes sadly away from the rushing hoarde of orcs that ransacked the city he had called his home. A nudge brought him back to his senses and Braxen's eyes looked from Jakelyn to where the boy pointed.

Looking over the escaping crowds the soldier caught a glimpse of Nindeth and he signalled back to her to stay put.
"Soldier!" Came a yell from above the crowds cathing Braxen's attention away from Nindeth for the moment. He turned as another came up to him bearing the symbol of the king himself, a messenger under the king's service.
"My lord." the messenger spoke in a hasty tone as he set the tattered parchment into Braxen's waiting hands, "The king has bid use of your sword."

Looking quickly at Jakelyn Braxen opened the letter and within a few moments of scanning the parcnment his eyes closed and he placed his hand on the messenger's shoulder.
"The king has my sword. Tell him I will gather a group and that I only ask for provisions and horses to carry those who will aid in this task."

With a nod the messenger turned soon disappearing into the chaos of the city.
"I leave for Edoras." Braxen told Jakelyn gently, "But I will see to it personally that you and your sister are among those feeing this city."
With purpose the soldier did not let Jakelyn respond at that moment. Pushing his way through the crowd the soldier found Nindeth and he came to her with a question that could not be denied.
"Healer?" he asked her as he watched the wounded being escorted down the street,"I have something I need to ask of you."

Suddenly the ground rocked as a boulder slammed into the bottom gates of the city.
Braxen was used to battle and so he gained his ground helping the other two to steady themselves.

Khurfak looked at the sweet pastries that his soldiers gouged down, to him the smell was acrid, nauseating. Shoving a fist into one soldiers head the lieutenant stepped out of the small bakery when the ground shook from the tremors of his catapults. The city may have been his, and he would redecorate as he saw fit.

"Mautor!" an orc soldier called as he lumbered up to his lieutenant. With one eye as his other was torn the orc looked at Khurfak and placed a fist to his chest, "Khurfak durbat-izishu goi!"

Indeed he did now rule the city, not looking at the soldier the lieutenant, "bring the prisoners." he growled.
They would be the first spilled blood within this city by his hands, his way of marking the city his in case the other lieutenants chose to challenge his authority.

~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: October 24, 2005 10:10
((Thanks, Dire! :hug: ))

Nindeth snorted as Braxen signaled for her to stay in her place, but stayed nonetheless. To her left, Ballindon nudged her, trying to urge her on, whereas Nadúon simply regarded her with a knowing look. ‘’We have to move’’, Ballindon urged, ‘’we cannot linger.’’ She shook off his nudging and sighed. ‘’You two move on, then. I will wait for Braxen.’’ Nadúon looked to the approaching man, and Ballindon grumbled as they waited with her.
Her attention now aimed at man coming towards her, she caught words shouted in the wind. "There are still people in there!" She shifted her gaze from the street, where now the last refugees hurried to the mountain, to the entrance of the Houses, which they had just left. There stood Verian, tall in anger, while the soldiers, who were ready to bring up the rear of the line of evacuees, now formed a solid line to deny her access to place the place she wished to enter.

She frowned and moved towards it, when she remembered the woman on her right. Before she could find any solution for her load, Braxen had reached them. ‘’Healer? I have something I need to ask of you,’’ he said. Both men behind her shook their head, as Nindeth answered: ‘’Fine, then be swift. And I am no healer, but a messenger, a helper.’’ To the other two men, she said, ‘’Go now, I will follow you soon.’’ Ballindon was about to object, but Nadúon nodded, knowing she would come, and nudged and pushed his friend forward. She then turned back to Braxen. ‘’What is your question?’’

Dire
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2005 10:27
Braxen glanced at the two leaving before responding, "Nindeth, the king as asked something of me and I cannot do this alone." he said simply, "I am to travel to Edoras and find aid to fight against the hoarde. I will need a healer, and of them all I know you most."

She may not have been a healer but Braxen knew she was strong willed, and would be able to help when needed.
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: October 24, 2005 11:02
Nindeth felt numb inside as she blinked a few times, not fully registering the meaning of his words. She looked back quickly, watching the retreating backs of ones close to friends. She remembered Nadúon’s look, and wondered whether there was more to it than it seemed. She shook her head to clear her mind and answered him thus: ‘’I will join you on your journey, but we will need a true Healer.’’

She glanced past Braxen to the Houses, where Verian still stood, defying the soldiers, and trying to get past them. ‘’Maybe…..’’ she muttered, lost in planning and plotting thoughts. She quickly grasped the arm of a passing man, who was accompanying a healer carrying a woman, his wife. ‘’Sir, could you please take this woman? Her ankle in badly sprained, but you needn’t carry her. She simply needs a bit of support. Her son will follow her, even if you would not hold his hand.’’ The dark-haired man look between her and the woman, and then nodded. ‘’Of course, miss.’’ She transferred the woman’s arm to the man’s shoulder; the boy immediately grasped the hem of his tunic. Casting the man a thankful look, she turned to the Houses and signaled for Braxen to follow her.

Her hurried stride quickly became a sprint; she lifted the hem of her skirt as to let her legs move more freely. When she reached the Healer, she tugged on the woman's sleeve, getting her attention. She looked at her and said: ''Verian, you cannot stay! What good will your presence here do? You will die with them if you linger, as sure as spring will follow winter. How will that help them, or your family? Think of Doria, think of your mother! You cannot in good conscience rob Doria of her older sister, nor your mother of her eldest child. I thought you less selfish than that!'' Her tone was angered, yet she hoped Verian would reconsider her decision. She glanced quickly at Braxen, and then continued: ‘’Braxen and I are heading for Edoras, on the King’s command, to seek help there, and we need you with us. Staying here will serve no one, but leaving with us will serve our city and all her citizens who are now robbed of their freedom. Will you join us?’’

((Hmmm....maybe the Orcs shouldn't overtake all the levels; after all, if they do, they will kill the citizens (I think), and that would not really be a good motive to save the city. What do you think?))

((Another thought: are they leaving now? I thought they left after they went with the refugees for a while? :dizzy:

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email