Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First34567Last >>
Author Topic:
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part V
on: January 26, 2006 02:15
(Are you certain it's from the '60s, Rose? My sources say it was first broadcast in 1981.)

OT: Ooops, you are right :blush: it was 1981. I think I was just keen for it to have been earlier.... older things at much better!! I have only just begun to listen to it, so I am just leaving the Prancing Pony.

I have to agree some with the sound effects. The heavy breathing ringwraiths. But I quite like the sound of the horses, even if it is a man with coconuts shells in a gravel box.

I am quite taken with Strider/Aragorn performance in the Play, he sounds so much more warm and reliable and safe *and* he laughs and chuckles. Sorry Viggo!! *holds hands over head for safety* Lol!!!

Lovely pic, btw, OT. Are you *sure* it's really you? Looks suspiciously ranger like to me. Lol!! But in all honesty, I think you make a superb Tom Bombadil. And your lovely wife makes a beautiful Goldberry.

MT: If you were wondering about the scottish blessing, it translates from 'Lang may your lum reek' to 'Long may your chimney smoke' or 'Long may you live'. It's a Scottish Toast.

Awelyn: Scotland is wonderful. The mountains, glens, lochs, the people!!! .... and the food!!!!! Yum. I'm sure Ireland is as lovely, but for me, Scotland just has the edge, not that I am biased or anything.

Speaking of Ireland, I am actually off to Dublin next Thursday, with my daughter, just for the day. My first *ever* flight in an aeroplane!!! Well you have to try everything at least once in your life.

Give me an early morning on a scottish hillside, with the sun filtering through a soft scotch mist, and a lark's song warbling its greeting to the sky and the new day. *sigh*

Hope everyone is well and happy. :hug: :love:

TTFN

Rosie xx

[Edited on 26/1/2006 by Rosearialelven]
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2006 02:30
Old Tom: You and your pretty lady look wonderful to be sure! How much fun to have activities like this close by to be able to attend. *sigh* So much for life on the PoG!

I "graduated" from physical therapy last night! I even got a t-shirt for my hard work! :disco: Now I just have one more hurdle...the visit to the pain clinic tomorrow. Hopefully no shots in the neck. I'm thinking no because I'm feeling very well. I do know that the shot was a temporary fix, and that it will probably come back in time...but at least for now I'm doing a jig. I can dance to my cell-phone ring again during class. It's always good for a laugh from the kids...especially my 7th grade girls. For some reason they find that highly amusing. "You just crack me up, Mrs. U!" they say. Can't imagine why. I always visualize myself as light on my feet as the fair Goldberry...aside from the fact that I'm *not* slender as a willow wand, blond, very fair, nor light on my feet if I'm very truthful with myself.

:naughty: And as for *the look*, I don't know if it's a conscious thing or not. I've been on the receiving end of the look, and I think on the sending end although that was an unconscious thing on my part. I just know I saw the reaction and wondered "Hmmmmmm???" I do think that pheromones play a large part in that. We like to believe ourselves far and above the animal world...but we aren't I don't believe.

The weather here on the PoG is supposed to be bright, sunny, and warm today. Well, warm is a relative term in January. The sun shining no matter what the temperature always makes me happy. I'm hoping that Mother Nature is being as kind to you as well. Have a good one.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2006 03:58
Mith go easy on that foot of yours while it heals up, OK? Keep the wild dancing and leaping from tall buildings to a minimum.

scots So glad that you've graduated. I know what a pain a recurring or long injury can be. My problem is that mine gets set of by something, but I don't get the pain until 2 days later. So my brain can't associate Activity A with Pain B and so there is no corresponding Memo from head Office "Note to self- don't do that again! "

MT You just can't help yourself. You're fine-looking and probably have the mature presence of a woman who knows her own mind. That's alluring to a truly mature man.

The look . Ah yes... *pulls out her textbook on psycho-biology.* Yep, says here that the emotional centres (which communicate via hormones) can create an "emotional hijacking" of the higher order thinking - those parts of our brain that do Judgment, Common Sense, Ethics and Problem Solving. No wonder we might walk in front of a bus, swabby or do other similarly foolish things. If you want to read a good book about this, check out Daniel Goleman's EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE.

MT I hope that your friendship will stand up to this test. I had one that didn't. My friend became quite irrational about a mutual friend on whom she had a crush. Got right wierd - possessive, demanding, manipulative. Can't blame it all on hormones but they sure emphasized some qualities in her that I had seen earlier. When she wouldn't even accept my non-partisan support (apparently I was supposed to be on her side) I realized that she was not truly the kind of friend that I wanted in my life. Fortunately, I think most people don't go off the deep end like this, so I send good wishes for you and your friend, that you get through this relatively unscathed.

OK, work calls.

Looking forward to tonight - hubby and I are going to the symphony - Beethoven, Mozart and Brahms. It would only be better if it were Bach and Howard Shore!

Have a great day everyone. :hug:
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2006 05:10
That's A great picture of you and Goldberry, Old Tom. Looks like you had A bit of that Northern California fog also, or was that just "marine layer"?

It looks like the phenomena I'm calling "the look" is familiar to everyone. It makes sense to me now that many (maybe most) women aren't aware of themselves doing it, which would explain how you could have such awesome power over men and not realize it. Aside from the look, women can also use plain old sweet talk and passive persuasion to make A man do almost anything. I am not one to be bossed around or bullied into doing something by A woman, but I am very susceptible to manipulation by A woman who employs the aforementioned tactics, and I'll bet most men are like that too. The old saying that "Honey attracts more flies than vinegar" is definately true in this case. I have heard women say that they couldn't get their husbands to do this or that, and I always wondered why. I would think "Doesn't she know how to use her powers?"
I think that any of you here could turn men to jelly if you tried. The thing that knocks me over is femininity! Just put on A little makeup, do your hair and dress FEMININE. Perhaps "the look" will magically appear on your face when you gaze upon images of Mr "V", or you might have to practice in the mirror, I don't know, but try to discover it within you. I don't know if it would work on your husbands, but I'll bet you could have fun at the mall. (I wouldn't do this unless you're ready to fend off A bunch of guys who are trying to jump your bones.) Never underestimate your powers! Swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2006 06:14
What!!! No response that I thought someone on the radio/wireless/transister (call it what you will) was more inspiring and attractive than the divine Mr V!!! *dang, I had the ring on*

Is nobody in this high flying world even the tiniest bit surprised that I have never flown before. :twitch:

*beginning to fade.....hear the sniffing of ringwraiths...sniff ... sniff.... Arrrgggghhh, Samwise where are you...*

*pulls ring off ... puts the precioussss in our pocketsesssss.*

Don't worry, Devs, I have not lost the plot, just like to be noticed. *giggles*

*flutters disreputable eyelashes femininely*

Swabby: Not tooting my own flute *cough* *ahem*, but I find I can manipulate the male population well enough, if I want to, with feminine wiles and it that don't work, I'll hit 'em with a frying pan. :evil: Only joking!! Lol!!

*sashays off wearing a summery cotten dress, tanned legs, high heels and a waft of something expensive* :naughty:

Scots: Wonderful to hear you are on the mend and hearing the all clear. My ex's answer, if I ever said 'oooh, it hurts when I do that' ... was 'well don't do it!' Lol!!

MT: I try to steer clear of advising people, unless they particularly, specifically, tie me up and demand it. And even then, I usually say, 'but it's up to you.' Like Neenime, I hope your friendship is strong.

Neenime: Oh, wow, Mozart....da man!! I just adore Mozart. Enjoy, my dear, enjoy. What a wonderful evening for you, although I agree, Howard Shore would be a bonus.

Well enough said, gotta buzz. Hugs to all you dear people and blessings.

Rosie xxxxx
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2006 07:27
Ummm, tied up, Rose? I've been trying to get hubby to let me do that to him for years but think he's afraid of what I might really do. :evil: You and the others make my days reading these posts. Seems no matter what my day is like you all put a smile on my face.

Swabby, I think you are right about the honey thing. I have some unusual flavors to be used on those who are wise to the ordinary ones.

Scots, sounds like you are healing. Hope you stay pain free and won't need another shot in the neck.

Awelyn, thanks for asking about the foot. It is still sore but am taking some anti-inflammatory medicine and seeing a doctor soon. Difficult to stay off of it as I'm not one to just sit all day. Neenime, you came close to my secret - only it is leaping from tall trees (looking for that ranger).

HT, that was an interesting link on Scotland, thanks!

OTB, cool pic of you and pretty Goldberry!

MT, I got that tip from my closest friend. When we're out he looks to see which one of us the other guys look at. I've learned quite a bit from him. What is it about the produce section, does it give off vibes or what? Perhaps we should scope it out for rangers. :love:

swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2006 08:09
I can only theorize about the produce section. Hmmm, let's see, well, everything looks like SEX! Cucumbers, melons, nuts. I believe MT said she was in the frozen veggies when she jellified A fellow. Do I even need to tell you about the frozen foods section? One word.......nipples. I looooove to grocery shop!

Different flavors of honey? OOOH, I bet they're tasty! Do you have any free samples for poor ol' Swabby?

[Edited on 26/1/2006 by swabby]
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: January 26, 2006 08:42
Rose you did not give me time. I was very surprised that this is your first flight. Mine was four years ago. I was scared stiff. I have a fear of heights. My doctor gave me medicine last year that took away the fear and I am ok with flying now. It did make me loopy either but a little drowsy at the last. It was five hour flight with a lay over. I love the waving dragon:heart:

Neenime have a good time. Those are three of my favorite composers.
Scots good for you. You go girl.

Mith I am glad you are feeling better with your foot. A tree huh, I think there might be a tomboy lurking around inside you

Swabby, man where have I been I had powers and did not even know it. I wish it worked on 23 year old daughters. She thinks I am old and stuffy and she should not have to clean until she is ready. Two women in one household can create tension :twitch:

I am off to work because lunch break is over:cry:

Bye -Bye ya'll
Awelyn:heart:
awelyn418
Send Message
on: January 26, 2006 08:45
Rose, I meant it did not make me loopy.
Awelyn
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2006 09:23
Hi everyone

Rose I love Dublin! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I hope your flight is good how have you managed not to do it before? Be sure to have some Guinness it is better in Ireland than in anywhere else in the world. Also Irish coffee is superb. The Irish are wonderful people very friendly and there are some fabby shops.

HI Old Tom love the picture you get around a lot don't you?

Swabby I don't know what I'd do if you weren't here on a regular basis I feel like you are all old friends now and I worry if I don't hear from you.

Just got back from visiting my Mum I see her about once a week and ring her every day. I know I am very lucky to have her she is and always was a marvelous mother.

Take care everyone

Love

HT:heart:

Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2006 01:50
swabby!!! *shakes her finger* Naughty, naughty about the frozen food aisle. Really, you are incorrigible! As bad as my hubby.

The look certainly has power, but I've always had a problem with women who use it to manipulate men, get out of traffic tickets and so on. Maybe cuz I was never a "girly girl". More of an Athena-type: Father's Daughter, studious, serious, earn what I get.....I don't like manipulation of any kind by anyone, not with looks, words, emotions, threats or hysterics. Ordinary, tweaking of each other's biological buttons is OK -it's even fun. Maybe I'm strange (Oh, wait, take that back - I AM STRANGE, just meant that maybe my viewpoint on that issue is unusual).

So - hubby and I are looking for someplace to go for our 25th anniversary. Wondered about the UK - we're both history, culture and architecture buffs. My sister visited Ireland and thought it was lovely. Rose and HT what did you like about Dublin? I think I'm leaning towards Wales and Scotland - the less urbanized parts, more landscape and old ruins sort of thing. Any suggestions? I see that HT has a link to Scotland. Will surely check that out.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2006 02:16
It's okay if you prefer the warm qualities of a "play" Aragorn to the V-man. I know that Mr. M acted in the way that PJ directed him, as he is a man of reliability, humor and fun. Each to their own.
I'll translate the redneck blessing: YeeHaw means pass me my beer and stand back.

Glad that you are a graduate of the Feel Better Course. Hope that you remain pain free.

Enjoy the symphony, Neenime.

Love the pic of you and Goldberry, OT. You two look like you stepped out of the Old Forest.

Wishing for healing to come your way, Mith. I heard some students say "Mrs. D has crunches." as they walked down the hallway this morning. I was trying to imagine what crunches were. Later I saw her making her way across the campus on CRUTCHES. Be careful. Don't want you on crunches.
Especially if we want to go hang out in the produce section looking for rangers.

Thanks for the inside scoop on the frozen food section, swabby. I'll bring a sweater. Who knew?

MT
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2006 03:21
The symphony was wonderful last night! We have a very small orchestra of 35-30 players, but for a city of 120,000 I think that 's not bad. The featured soloist was a man at least 70 yrs old, who can stil play like greased lightning and liquid gold. I swear his fingers are magical. And there is nothing like the full, luscious sound of real instruments, especially when you can see the beauty of the wood, the gleam of the metal and see the people playing them. I love the experience.

FoF is such an educational thread. You can learn all sorts of useful facts and trivia, like proper shopping attire, recipes from the Old South, introductory Sindarin and Gaelic, video-game tips, what's new in music and film............ Goodness, we may have already started Middle Earth Academy !

Sil on CD -I listened to my boither's boxed set. Not sure which version, but it had MArtin Shaw of the BBC reading . Oh mym what a lovely voice that man has! It was delightful to hear him tell the tales. I used to listen while on the treadmill and it made the kilometers fly by! I might borrow it again.
awelyn418
Send Message
on: January 27, 2006 03:44
Neenime,
Your night out sounded wonderful. I have listened to concerts on tape but it does not compare to being there and drinking it all in so to speak. I am glad you had a good time.
We are an educational thread aren't we

I am leaving today to go to my daughter's to be surrounded by loving little arms giving me a hugs. No, I am not going to the shire. It is my grandson's birthday party. He will be three. I will be back Sunday. I will miss FOF even for that short period of time. I will be taking my new dog and introducing the grandkids to her.
Have a great weekend and I will check back Sunday.
Awelyn:heart:
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: January 27, 2006 03:58
Heh... That's so true, Neenime! I'm glad you had such an awesome night out.

awelyn, have a safe journey and enjoy your grandkids.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2006 05:23
Have A wonderful weekend, Awelyn. I hope you get all the little hugs you want and then some.

Wearing A sweater when shopping for frozen foods might prevent one type of male-stimulating wardrobe malfunction, but it would create another. If you really just don't want any male eyes scanning your body or even coming near you, you might try going shopping in your housecoat and slippers with curlers in your hair, then act angry and mumble to yourself. That method works extremely well on me, and I won't come anywhere near A woman like that. (Mrs. Swabby can vouch for that) I think I've said before that sloppiness in A woman is A big turn-off for me. I like to see ladies who obviously care about their appearance and have put A little effort into looking nice. (Without over-doing it)

There is A huge difference between live and recorded music. Way, way back in highschool, I was in the choir, and once each year we would go to "choir festival". Individually, we would sing three songs for the competition, but we would do several together with all the other choirs in what was called A "massed choir". To hear A live choir comprised of about one thousand voices is to experience A diminsion in sound that is difficult to describe, and one which could not possibly be done justice in A recording. It was an experience that I'll never forget.
I saw "Santana" in concert about 1989 or so, and Carlos had his old "Woodstock" band back together. I could actually feel their huge percussion section vibrating and jolting my chair. Again, there were facets of their sound that I never knew was there, and could not have possibly experienced through A recording. Live music is the best, no doubt.

The crimson Rose of Manchester
has passed beyond our sight
She slipped her earthly bonds
and flew off in the night.

And all her kitties are crying "Rose...come baaaaack!"

Have A great weekend, all you gorgeous grannies! Swabby
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2006 05:41
LOL I am well acquainted with the produce section...and not because of the aforemetioned reasons. The spousal unit has been a produce manager most of our married life. Too funny.

Rosie, have a wonderful flight to Dublin! I'm sure that you will do well. And be sure to have a happy birthday on Saturday. Oooh, did I spill the beans?

Well, off to the pain clinic for what is hopefully my release. Keep your fingers crossed.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2006 08:31
Have a great time with your grandkids, awelyn. Give them an extra hug for me. You are so lucky to have them nearby. My heart aches to see mine. Can't wait till this summer.

Can't do the sloppy dress mode. It's just not in me. My mom raised a southern lady who doesn't go out without "being together" as best as she can.
Know what you mean about live music, swabby. I sooo want to be 150 miles away right now preparing to listen to Skylight Honey play. My husband doesn't want to travel the distance just to hear them again. "Why don't you just listen to their cd?" he asks. It's not the same and I don't think I can make him understand. There's a special vibe or chemistry in the air that makes live so much better. And this town, our state capital, needs to learn how to rock and I was going to help educate it's population. If I didn't have out of town company, I'd be going alone, if need be.

Did I hear that someone has a birthday coming up, Rose? If so, I hope that it is a splendid one, as such is the kind that you deserve. Remember, what happens at the desert table stays at the desert table.

Left school early today to have my yearly mamogram. I told the kids that I was going to the doctor but I was okay. For a check up? they asked. Yes. Will you have x-rays made? Probably. Bring it to school so we can see, someone chimed in. Had to laugh. Show and tell would never be the same.

MT
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2006 08:49
Oh dear. Lol!! I am not actually going to Dublin until next Thursday, 2 Feb, so I have a little while for any nerves to build up. *gulp*. But I am sure I will be ok and I'll let you all know how it went. Sorry, if I confused everyone. :dizzy:

Yes, it is my birthday tomorrow. My bosses treated me to an early birthday lunch today, which was nice and they and the other two fellows in the office bought me a beautiful bouquet of flowers, which was also very nice of them.

I love live theatre of any description. Music, Plays, Comedy or Ballet. So much more exciting. Glad you enjoyed the concert Neenime.

Scots: My fingers are crossed, pet. :hug:

Awelyn: Have a lovely time at your grandson's birthday.

Blessings everyone and have a good weekend.

Rose xxx
awelyn418
Send Message
on: January 27, 2006 10:06
Well I took a quick peek before I left so, Happy Birthday Rose. :cheers: :hug: to you.

Fingers crossed Scots.
Swabby, you are so sweet.
Have a great weekend FOF friends.
Awelyn
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2006 10:35
Loosely based on "Happiness is A warm gun"

Swabby wrote lyrics that jumped the gun
Swabby wrote lyrics that jumped the gun
Rosie's first flight has not yet begun
Rosie's first flight has not yet begun
Tomorrow her birthday will go and come
and she will be older as well as her bum
May she remain so fair and young
and never step in buffalo dung
next week she'll fly up to the sun
and remember this song which is so dumb

Happy birthday Rosie! (I'd make you A cake if I was there)
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2006 10:43
I have returned to the fold. Have missed being part of this group. Wow! Has it grown and changed and moved so far forward.

Happy Birthday Rose! Hope it is a great one. Have missed visiting with you.

Happy Weekend.

PS - nice little ditty you wrote there, Swabby!
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2006 11:04
Hi again

Happy Birthday Rose!

Hi Lothien I don't think I was here last time you were on?

Swabby I loved your little poem at present my poetry muse seems to have deserted me! After all my talk about Robert Burns and I cant't seem to come up with anything. As long as I dont get as bad as William McGonagal - if you haven't heard of him be grateful - he was a contemporary of Burns and wrote the most awful poetry - for those of you familiar with the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy he is worse than a Vogon!

Take care and love to all

HT:heart:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2006 11:44
Hitchhiker's Guide...yep, I've read that and saw the movie. Both made me laugh. The spousal unit just looked confused as we left the theater.

Well, I jumped the gun with my bragging that all things were done. I am now here with another sore neck due to another shot. The doc is very pleased with how my progress has been but said that I really do need one more to keep things going well. That plus two more weeks of p/t. On the bright side though, he said my prognosis is very good that I will have little trouble with it as time goes on since I have responded to treatment so well. So that's a good thing.

The weather is so beautiful today that people are walking about in shorts and t-shirts. It was such a lovely day to have the day off. And a Friday to boot!

Have a wonderful weekend all.
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2006 04:31
Hi everyone!

I hope the aches and pains and gloomy weather of winter are beginning to fade away everywhere! (Just a positive thought---I know it will up and dump snow on us any day now.)

Sorry I haven't posted but I have sneaked in to read the posts. I have been working on posting a new story to Henneth-Annun and sometimes it gets insane trying to copy from WORD to HTML and get spacing correct!!! I hate technology! Give me a quill and a bottle of ink or better yet a sword and I'll live my own stories. (That's right, I have one downstairs......clumps off to swing Narsil around the family room)

THE LOOK...I had no idea I could do this until I met my DH. He pointed this ability out and accused me of giving the look to another male. (He's got an eye thing anyway...claims mine are midnight violet...I think he'd had a drink or three that night...I think they're just blue) But I guess I have this straightforward, penetrating stare---I thought it was my "teacher look." I guess on grown men it does more than scare them to death. :naughty:

Better than Viggo....nope. Ain't a Ranger in the world better than Viggo...the man needs to do more movies...how about a remake of The Three Musketeers...I always had a thing for Aramis...I think it was the church thing or maybe it was just a young Richard Chamberlin. BUT he doesn't hold a candle to Viggo!

Happy Birthday, Rose. Enjoy your flight.

Mith, how goes the cigs?

Swabby, I think that was Animal House where they were strolling through the produce section, fondling the veggies...

SE
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2006 08:19
Happy Birthday Rose! May the sun shine on your day and blessings upon you!

Awelyn give your grandson lots of hugs. It's wonderful you can be there to help celebrate his birthday. Three is a cute age - love to hear them talk and see the wonder and delight as they discover new things. We will miss you here.

MT, I'm with you on the dress thing although these days it's pretty much all casual dress for me. Think it makes a gal feel better about herself. It is a very rare day that I don't put on a bit of makeup and clean up so to speak, even if it's just jeans. Did your mom teach you about the underwear thing...the saying that you should always wear good underwear out just in case you would be in an accident? LOL!

Live music is so much better. It has been a while since I've had the pleasure of enjoying it, but I agree, there is a chemistry there that one can't get from a CD. The Cleveland Orchestra is performing the Lord of the Rings Symphony next month. I may have a chance to go if all works out. Keeping my fingers crossed tightly for that one!

SE, good to hear from you. Doing really well with quitting, mostly don't give in to thoughts about wanting one.

Had no idea about the frozen food section. Grocery shopping will never be the same. Amazing the things we teach each other on this site! Next we will be taking our swords and slicing the produce. Still have not located a ranger there.

Have a great weekend everyone. We're going car shopping tomorrow so will be a busy day. :hug: :heart::love:

Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2006 08:23
Happy birthday, Rose! :cheers:

Welcome back, Lothien_Vilya! :wave:

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments on the pic of my wife and me. You'll note that I'm not packing a sword. (That's a sure sign that I'm not a Ranger. )
That's A great picture of you and Goldberry, Old Tom. Looks like you had A bit of that Northern California fog also, or was that just "marine layer"?
Some parts of San Francisco seem to be foggy year round. I think Stern Grove is one of them. (That pic is from Oct 1, 2005. It was foggy at the picnic in September 2004, too.)
HI Old Tom love the picture you get around a lot don't you?
Just a bit, but not nearly as much as I'd like to. (We didn't make ORC this past weekend in Pasadena. I understand that attendance was only 1/3 to 1/2 of what it was last year. Next year it will be in March in Burbank at a smaller venue.)

As for those newbie flyers, take it from Ol' Tom that flying is a breeze! (No pun intended. ) I had over 1,000 hours in the C-141 back in my days in the USAF Reserves, and they were over 20 years old when I in the service.. (I was an Aeromedical Technician.)

Looking forward to tonight - hubby and I are going to the symphony - Beethoven, Mozart and Brahms. It would only be better if it were Bach and Howard Shore!
How fun, Neenime. I don't go to live performances nearly as often as I used. For the first few years of our marriage my wife and I would get a subscription series to the San Francisco Opera, but those long drives late at night got to be a drag. Invariably I'd have to pull over and nap for a bit so that I wouldn't fall asleep at the wheel.

Today (Friday) is the 250th Anniversary of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's birth. I listened to our local classical music station all day. Part of the programming was live music and commentary from Salzburg, Austria where they are having a two-week celebration (Mozart 2006 Salzburg). At 8 PM local (11 AM here in California) they rang bells throughout the city.

I had the good fortune to visit Salzburg in 1991, which happened to be the 200th Anniversary of Mozart's death. (He was about a month shy of his 36th birthday when he passed away.) I visited the house where he was born, which is now a museum. I also visited a house on the other side of the river where he lived for awhile called "The Dancemaster's House". We also visited the fortress there. It was neat that during the broadcast I could picture some of the places they mentioned.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2006 04:20
I'm sure that poetry muse hasn't gone far, HT.
perhaps you should look for him (I'm assuming it's A "him") around the frozen foods section of your nearest grocery store.

Scots, I'm sorry you weren't completely done with the necessary torturing. I'm hoping that it will all be A distant memory for you very soon.

Sindy, I'm with you on the technology thing. I think it is great for those who understand it and know how to use it, but I have A very uneasy relationship with it. If I can push A few buttons and make it work, fine, but if it doesn't, I want to smash it! I tend to do A lot of things the old fashioned way or the hard way because success or failure lies totally in my hands, and it is I who am responsible for the outcome, not some mindless machine. I also like to understand how things work, and I can't do that with A lot of things nowadays.
As for "the look", you must be very careful how you use it, Sindy. You can't just jolt some strange fellow with 50,000 volts of passion-ray and then walk away to leave him flapping in the breeze. With great power comes great responsibility.
Say, do you have any of those different flavors of honey like Mith?

There's A big difference in my mind between dressing casually and being A slob. I know someone who just won't get dressed if she doesn't have to. If she's off for the day, she'll likely walk around in nothing but A T-shirt the whole day. If the doorbell rings, she can't get it because "she's not dressed". She doesn't even pick up after herself and you know where she's been because it always looks like the city dump. I'd better quit talking about this person before you all figure out who "she" is. I'm pretty sure that none of you ladies are like that.

The Bay area is A foggy place, isn't it, Old Tom? I'll tell you where it's even foggier, though.....the San Joaquin valley. I was stationed at the Lemoore Naval Air Station near Fresno from 1973 to 1977, and I saw it get so foggy there that you couldn't see one foot in front of your car. I'll never forget the night I had to drive about 120 miles in that kind of fog. I had to stick my head out the window and follow the stripe in the middle of the road because that was the only thing I could see.

I've been thinking about that x-ray, MT, and I think you might consider showing it to Ara-Baby. A two-diminsional representation of an intimate part of you is sure to rock his two-diminsional world, don't you think? You should take care not to give him the look at the same time, though. Things could get out of hand.

It's nice to meet you, LV! I hope you spend some time with us.

Have A nice weekend, all my well-seasoned friends. Swabby
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2006 05:50
You happen to share a birthday with Elijah Wood, Rose! But I imagine that you knew that already.

Sorry that the treatments have to go on a little longer, scots but I am glad that the prognosis is good. Hopefully you will be pain free afterwards.

Welcome back Lothien. :wave: I don't think that I've had the pleasure of meeting you. Hope to get to know you better. We certainly "let our hair down" here. :disco:

I imagine your creative energies are "simmering in the pot" , HT and are awaiting the right moment for the "tasting".

Looking forward to reading your story, SE. Is it another concerning our beloved ranger/king? I love the ones you have penned and anxiously look forward to more.

I also have the "undies" advice, Mith. Good thing grandmother and mom (who passed away 33 years ago) didn't know about thongs!
My friend has a cure for whenever you are having a bad/sad time in your day/life. Brush your teeth, put on lipstick and go out into the world with a smile on your face. I've tried it at times and it works for me. (May have a different effect on you, OT and Swabby.

You give me ideas, swabby! Poor Ara-baby doesn't realize what's in store for him!

Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2006 08:02
The Bay area is A foggy place, isn't it, Old Tom? I'll tell you where it's even foggier, though.....the San Joaquin valley. I was stationed at the Lemoore Naval Air Station near Fresno from 1973 to 1977, and I saw it get so foggy there that you couldn't see one foot in front of your car. I'll never forget the night I had to drive about 120 miles in that kind of fog. I had to stick my head out the window and follow the stripe in the middle of the road because that was the only thing I could see.
You're right about that, swabby. My wife commutes to Stockton for work. She's given an allotment of fog days for when the fog is too thick to drive. She hasn't had to use one in awhile, though.

I mentioned that I used to play hockey when I lived in the SF Bay Area. Our games were usually played late in the evening, starting as late as 9 or 10 PM. Some of the drives home were a bit precarious, driving slowly while following the fog line (the white stripe on the pavement) as swabby mentioned. If one is lucky enough to find another car on the road you can follow them, too.

Brush your teeth, put on lipstick and go out into the world with a smile on your face. I've tried it at times and it works for me.
You're right, MT. A smile goes a long way.
morwenna
News Admin and Taste Tester for LHH
Send Message
on: January 28, 2006 01:41
Greetings to everyone, I've not posted for a while, been very busy with RL. Just popped in to wish Rose a very happy birthday :cheers:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2006 02:41
Morwenna where've you been? welcome back

Lothien_Vilya Hi there! I don't believe I've had the pleasure of your acquaintance. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Rose - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope you have a wonderful, fulfilling, fun day that celebrates your very existence. I'm pretty sure that all of us at FoF love to have you among us and are glad that you were born!

fear of flying ? I had a very mild version of it that for a while, especially after we hit a big air pocket on our honeymoon flight to Florida! After that Florida flight, I needed a brandy before getting on the return flight. I got over it in time by using relaxation procedures and calming self-talk ("the vast majority of flights are perfectly safe..... I am in good hands......... ". A little blessing ritual (visualization only) of the plane, the crew, helps me as well. My friend had to take a small dose of tranquilizer for a while but she also adjusted. Just think of all of us holding the plane up with the power of our friendship, breathe slowly and deeply (to counteract your body's CrisisTeam, that's sending adrenaline through your system) and you'll do OK.

Awelyn hope you've had a grand weekend with grand-kids by the time you read this.

Scots sorry about the further go-round of treatment. I hope that you will heal up soon and graduate.

swabby that's some driving technique! I'll bet your neck was like Scots' after that trip!
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2006 04:45
Anyone else catch Crimson Tide on TV today? I saw the movie back when it first came out but I didn't remember Viggo had such a large part...good movie...good looking weapons officer. :love:

Swabby, not honey but flavored chocolate sauce.....:evil:

MT, of course it is another tale of our favorite ranger/king.
It's called The Commander of Gondor.

I am anxiously awaiting for the arrival of my recumbent bike. Can hardly wait to break a sweat (not) on it. It should be here before Valentine's Day.

Has anyone seen the commercials for the new fantasy/sci-fi show on the SCiFi channel. It looks very Middle-Earthy. I don't know the name of it.

Weapons at School: Second semester has started and I must convince my orklings that they want to be tenth graders next year...this is where being allowed to have my sword at school would help out tremendously. Actually, in presenting parts of the Trojan War, one of the groups left a bow and unpointed arrow behind ("I'll get it right after school! I promise!") It was just a child's bow but I of course couldn't resist playing around with it. One of the boys said "You really know what you're doing with that." I had to tell him about my own bow at home then. So add archer to my fame as Roller Derby Queen (a rumor we started several years ago and occasionally the kids will ask about it still.)

Have a wonderful weekend!

SE

SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2006 05:48
Happy Birthday Rose!!! You deserve a great day. (Course by the time you read this where you are your day will be over.)
Have a Guiness while you are in Dublin dear girl!

Welcome back Lothien_Vilya-good to see you again!

I really have nothing to say, which is quite amazing as I normally never shut up. So I'll just say hello :wave: and goodbye :wave: . Have a good day!
Brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2006 02:41
Thankyou all for your lovely Birthday wishes. :hug: I had a great day. My daughter and son came round. I wondered why my daughter kept insisting that I go to the shops, but when I returned, there was a bottle of Bucks Fizz, Champagne, the inevitable helium balloon, an birthday banner, a 'Death by Chocolate' cake, flowers and choccies. :love:

I received some wonderful gifts. Garnet earrings, artist's canvasses, two small models, one of Haldir and one of an Elf from the Battle of Helm's Deep, and a wondrous book 'The Dragon Chronicles'. :love:

I am very lucky. :love:

Hi Lothien, lovely to see you here. And Brandywine :love: I'll raise a glass of Guinness to you all, when I am in Dublin, next Thursday.

Enjoy the restof the weekend, everyone, I intend to.

:hug:

Rose xx
<< First34567Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email