Register

<< First1415161718
Author Topic:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part V
on: March 18, 2006 03:11
I've heard that little egg trick but have never tried it. Is that a.m. or p.m. this year?

I didn't raise my glass to St. Paddy this year...not that I ever do. I'm not a big drinker. I"m like OTB. A glass of wine with dinner once and awhile does the trick although I am sipping the last of the wine in the house tonight. The mood just struck me as did the giggles tonight. Don't know why. They just did.

I did wear the requiste green yesterday though. Being in a classroom with a bunch of kids, if you don't wear green you get harassed all day. That was the first thing they said to me yesterday morning, "Do you have green on?" As I was coming down the stairs to my room, I heard the conversation in the room, "Yes, she has green on. The "C" in her shirt is green." Fridays are casual day, and I had my sweatshirt that says "TEACHER" on it. Too funny. But then, I *am* easily amused.

Spring comes in on Monday, and here on the PoG so does the snow. They are predicting up to 12" of the wet stuff. *sigh* Maybe we'll get a snow day.

balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2006 06:24
Hi everyone.

Glad I was able to read all the posts that I missed. It took me two hours this morning to read them. Then I went to work and I thought I would put a post in now.

My computer went on the fritz. :killcomp: :angry: :cry: :banghead: The icons here are just what I felt like. Then I thought, hey, there has to be a way for me to fix it. Then while playing with it last night, I realized all I had to do was reinstall internet explorer. Now the internet comes on faster than even before. Yeah me!!!! :disco: :rolling:

Glad everyone is feeling fine. Swabby: hope you don't get too lonely without your granddaughter. Sometimes their energy is way higher and with age we can't do the things we would like to do. I know that's true about me.

faramirgirl: That's awful. Hope you gave them (the police) a WHAT FOR!!!!!!!!

I did wear green on St. Patrick's Day. I also gave my boss a green shamrock made out of a pipe cleaner. Both of us ended up having good days for a change. Imagine what a shamrock could do.

I'm going on holidays soon, March 29 to April 5. I am not getting out of my pj's for anyone. If I don't have anywhere to go, I will be in them all day. I plan on doing nothing. I need to recharge my batteries. Makes it good for the soul. It's hard to believe that I have all kinds of energy when I go back. Does the body good.

Maybe someone here could answer a question for me?
When did the First Age End? Was it 583? Were Elrond and Elros twins?
The reason for this is that I'm putting together a calendar for myself on the Elves of Middle Earth.

Well, I will let you all ponder these questions while I go do some work on the calendar.

namarié
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: March 18, 2006 06:40
Neenime yes, I have balanced the egg on it's fat end. It is really cool.

Hi Balrog. You do that and take time for yourself.

Scots they are saying we will get snow too. I hate that because my peach trees are blooming.

Have a good night. The grandkids are in bed and I need a bed too.
I know how you felt Swabby.
Awelyn
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2006 09:52
Maybe someone here could answer a question for me?
When did the First Age End? Was it 583? Were Elrond and Elros twins?
The reason for this is that I'm putting together a calendar for myself on the Elves of Middle Earth.

I'm not certain that some of these things are fixed. As you are probably aware, J.R.R. Tolkien passed before The Silmarillion was published. His son Christopher published an edition he edited in 1977, four years after his father's death. The published edition consists of what Christopher considered the most authentic and most consistent with LOTR. (This is something that that the senior Tolkien had been working on before he passed away.)

Christopher Tolkien later published the twelve volume series known as "The History of Middle-earth" which contained draft versions of the stories that his father had written plus Christopher's own commentary. J.R.R. Tolkien left multiple versions of his stories, and, despite his due diligence, Christopher was not always able to decipher which was the latest and/or most authoritative version.

That being said, let me tell you what has been published:

According to The History of Middle-earth, Volume XI, The War of the Jewels, the First Age ended in either 590 (according to one version) or 600 (according to another).

600 The Elves and the Fathers of Men depart from Middle-earth and pass over Sea.
Here ends the First Age of the Children of Ilúvatar

Christopher Tolkien then mentions another version of The Tale of Years

600 This final entry was changed to 590, and the following was added to it: 'Morgoth is thrust from Arda into the Outer Dark.'
'Here ends the First Age of the Children of Ilúvatar' was changed to 'Here end the Elder days with the passing of Melkor, according to the reckoning of most lore-masters; here ends also the First Age...'

Yes, Elrond and Elros are twins according to The History of Middle-earth, Volume V, The Lost Road and Other Writings--
The Peringiul, the Half-elven, were born of Elwing wife of Eärendil, while Eärendil was at sea, the twin brethren Elrond and Elros.

--and The History of Middle-earth, Volume XI, The War of the Jewels.
Added entry:] 528 [>532] Elros and Elrond twin sons of Earendil born.

[Edited on 3/19/2006 by Old_Tom_Bombadil]
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2006 02:10
Hiya all! I'm just really running in to say I have been doing a quick read of the threads and I am thinking about you all. I have been so busy lately and am exhausted! Hope that all of you under the weather are feeling better. Must go again...hate these busy times. Hopefully things will slow down some next week.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2006 05:31
Balrog, I also use that expression, "re-charging my battery", also. My grandaughter took issue with my saying that, however, and told me in A very firm way that I didn't have any batteries. I told her that I did too have batteries and even showed her where to push A particular lumpy vertabrae on my back that pops my battery compartment open. She didn't buy A word of it. She must have thought "Silly grandpa", because she just ignored me after that and went back to playing with her Barbie doll that changes from A butterfly to A mermaid. Silly grandaughter doesn't know about the batteries.
Now I've got to try and find Aragorn's box and all the little twisty-ties that held him in. He did look pretty funny as "cross-dressing Aragorn" with those Barbie clothes on. I've got to turn those figurines back around, too. When I look up at my shelves, I'm like the last monkey climbing the tree..... I look up and all I see is butts! (Gollum's butt is especially unsavory) Still, I'm going to miss the little munchkin.

I hope it's not going to be too long before we hear from MT and Mith. The Ranger-lust talk takes A definate nose-dive when they're not around. HT, if you're out there, you need to try and take up the slack. Swabby
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2006 07:34

I hope it's not going to be too long before we hear from MT and Mith. The Ranger-lust talk takes A definate nose-dive when they're not around. HT, if you're out there, you need to try and take up the slack. Swabby

I have returned at the turn of the tide. For now rangers will be spoken of with lust of heart of appreciation of fine flesh, as should be done forever and ever..amen!
What's this about cross-dressing Aragorn? Has Sauron created a mutated version of our darling Dunedain? HT, Mith, Sindy and all other Aradorers must ride to Bardd-Dur (swords in hand) to redress (pun intended) this autrocity. I will sit beside the REAL Aragorn and comfort him as I recoup and recharge my batteries, as others here must do at times.

Like that idea of dancing Viggos in kilts, [swabby/b]. I didn't dream much or can't remember. I'm feeling quite good, just a little drained. Trying hard not to do too much too soon. Will be watching FOTR this pm. Saw A History of Violence yesterday.:heart: Maybe these visions are what's helping me feel better.

Thanks for the cards, [b]OTB
and Neenime . You brightened my day! I didn't send any out, as I was pre-occupied with myself. Forgive me. I did think of you all and appreciate all the good thoughts that were sent my way. The blue and purple lights were especially nice, Rose.

I'm glad that there are those of you who can enjoy pizza without coercion.

I'm feeling a bit tired so I'd best rest for a short bit. I missed you all greatly and am so glad to be back. :disco: :wave:

MT
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2006 08:19
What's this about cross-dressing Aragorn? Has Sauron created a mutated version of our darling Dunedain?
Madam MT, I'm afraid you're in for a bit of a disappointment. Mr. Mortensen has been engaged in not-entirely masculine activities, including cross-dressing, long before any 5-year old clad his miniature likeness in Barbie's hand-me-downs.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B: Viggo and Dominic Monaghan tongue kissing

Exhibit C: Viggo and Karl Urban holding hands while lying in bed togther

Viggo may be beautiful, but he's also very strange. :twitch:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2006 09:07
Viggo may be beautiful, but he's also very strange.

OMG! Yes. I have to totally agree with that statement. I don't believe that Aragorn would ever be caught like that. Thank goodness that I can separate the "real" King Elessar with the actor. Viggo is an excellent actor, but those sidetrips creep me out a bit out to tell you the truth. I for one like to keep the vision of Aragorn in all his ranger and kilted glory thank you very much.

[Edited on 19/3/2006 by scots56]
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2006 09:22
Hi Everyone (too many to name which is a good thing - lots of friends!)

Thanks for the mention Swabby! I have been dipping in and reading just not posting.

Re Viggo there is of course the Kiss he gave Billy Boyd when they were filming Rosie and Sam's wedding. I love that picture!

Faramirs girl - that was a dreadful thing that happened to you I am glad the police here are not routinely armed. 2 incidents over here prove that police with guns can be a very bad thing. In Scotland a man was shot by armed police who thought he was carrying a firearm - it turned out to be a bit of wood for some DIY. In the other in London police shot a man they thought was connected with the London bombings but he was a Brazilian who panicked and ran when the police accosted him. The good thing is I suppose that such incidents are rare so they do make the news.

Balrog enjoy your break it is great to do nothing from time to time.

Hope everyone is keeping well.

Love and Hugs

HT:heart:
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2006 09:43
I for one like to keep the vision of Aragorn in all his ranger and kilted glory thank you very much.
I feel a little guilty for "outing" Viggo like that, so to make amends I will give you Viggo the Ranger. Enjoy!

Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2006 10:29
Old Tom what a lovely peace offering. You're forgiven!:love:

MTMS Aradorers ? LOL! Count me in, Woman! Mind you I just wached King Arthur again last night. Clive Owen with that incredible swarthy complexion and those luminous blue eyes. ( Couldn't figure out how to load the image so go here for a lovely shot of his face in a banner ..............) If Arababy is busy with you, Clive can keep me company in the meantime!

And not to worry about being too busy to post much. You just look after yourself.

awelyn glad that shoulder is behaving itself. ow if we could just get the same for Scots, Swabby, Tom and the rest of us "fogeys" with aging parts.................

Yay for balrog A woman has to be as handy with her computer as she is with her vehicle these days! Nice work.

[Edited on 19/3/2006 by Neenime]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2006 03:12
Hi everyone!

MT glad the surgery went well.
Tom, I agree with the other. Aragorn is Aragorn and Viggo is well---an actor.
Swabby, I'm glad you had a wonderful but tiring granddaughter visit.
Tom and Neenine, thanks so much for the St. Pat's cards!
Scots, the forecasters are predicting a storm for us also and I am doing my snow dance. A snow day would be wonderful!!!!

In a dashing hurrt! It took so long to read the posts I have to rinse out the L'oreal!!!

Sindy
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2006 03:45
Scots, the forecasters are predicting a storm for us also and I am doing my snow dance. A snow day would be wonderful!!!!

:disco: :disco: :rolling: Does that help?? They're predicting up to 14 inches of the white stuff here on the PoG tomorrow. I've gotten a call from the big district that we follow as far as snow days go, and they're closing already in anticipation. So no school for me! The spousal unit just said that now I can paint on cabinets some more. Lovely. :twitch:
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: March 19, 2006 05:49
MTMS, I am so glad you came through the surgery with no mishaps. Yes, rest is one of the most important things you should get.

Scots no school on the First day of Spring. Enjoy your time off.

Hey Sindy :wave: You have a good day off tomorrow too if you get a snow day.

My grandchildren left today and man 4 can really tire you out. The five year old said I will miss you Grammy. I had a little bit of the wet stuff in my eyes. I promised maybe I would see them Easter.

Thank you Neenime after the visit my shoulder is a little stiff and sore. I will put heat on it and do my stretches.

OTB, actually I never pictured Aragorn looking like Viggo not that he is not handsome I just pictured someone different in my mind. So, it was no big deal to me. I have always since a child loved that about reading. I can read something and picture it one way . You can read the same thing and picture it another way but it is okay because of the freedom of expression we all share.
Hugs and love right back to you HT.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2006 12:49
I have seen those "exhibits" before OTB. They exhibit the "exotic" quirkiness of the V-man, which I find amusing. I can and do, like wise-minded scots and sindy, differieniate between Viggo and Aragorn. Aragorn owns my heart..Viggo comes as close to any mortal to sharing that honor. What say you on that HT ?
That idea terrifies my cousin. She thinks I need an intervention since I love a "character from a book" and not a living/breathing person. Aragorn does live and breathe in my book!
Nice peace offering, by the way.:heart:

You are officially added to the list of Aradorers, neenime. You are a woman with discriminating taste in the "man" department. MT pins official badge upon the newest Aradorer. (Clive Owen is good on the eyes as well)

So glad that you enjoyed time with your grandchildren awelyn. They demand alot of energy just to keep up with them. Things surely quiet down when they're gone and I miiss their laughter and sweet voices. Hopefully you'll be rested up with your shoulder feeling great when you see them next. That is my hope.

Are you out there brandywine? Hope that your spring break is turning our just as you've planned it. Wishing you the best on Sunday!(You young thing!!) :cheers:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2006 03:31
Yay for MTMS glad that the surgery went well. Now lots of healing energy going your way OOOOOOHHHHMMMM + visualize the hands of the King + apply a little Kingsfoil just for good measure to restore all the tissue and restore the flow of health.

Sunny Monday morning. First Day of Spring. Should be a holiday, if you ask me. I'll bet it would have been in the Shire! Where's Gandalf and his fireworks? How about some mulled cider and a few tall tales? Sure would rather be doing that than working!

Oh well, perhaps I'll get out for a walk at noon. Hubby and I went yesterday and got a new appreciation for the phrase "Well, blow me down!". Mannnnnnnnnnn - that wind was gusting in all its final winter fury! I hope that was the last of it.

TTFN - off to work. Boss brought in bannock to start our day! Nice Boss!
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
<< First1415161718
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email