Register

<< First1314151617Last >>
Author Topic:
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part V
on: March 06, 2006 10:10
Happy Belated Birthday, Swabby! :cheers: I wished that I could have congratulated you on the actual date, but real life got in my way.

And, HT's poem was absolutely great!

Now, I must fly again - hope you'll have a nice beginning of the week, everybody! :hug:

[Edited on 6/3/2006 by Morwinyoniel]
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2006 12:52
Sounds like you're a very busy gal, Morwin. Glad that you take the time to drop in. It's always good to hear from you.

You can keep your snow balrog. It feels like spring around here and I love it. I'm sure that it will turn cooler one more time before spring is officially here...usually on my spring break when I want to go to the beach.

I've thought of doing the walk to rivendell, awelyn, but I'm going to put off anything until after my surgery on March 17th. Want to join the wellness center so that I can use the machines and have a personal trainer help me decide how to "relocate or evacuate" the jiggily spots.

Sounds like you know what I'm talking about swabby . My eyebrows don't need taming, but there are other parts that need to be put in their place. Your post made me lol thinking of one 29 year old eyebrow and another that's 58. Aging is not for the faint of heart or for sissies. Here's hoping that we all age gracefully !
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2006 02:01
What a lot of snow, Balrog. We used to get more when we lived in the snow belt east of Cleveland, OH. Can't say I miss it. Turned the weather channel on and saw today's forcast for somewhere that was 88 and thought, wow, would that be nice.

MT, you are fortunate to live where it is warmer. Hope the weather is great for your spring break. The beach sure can work wonders for the spirit. Find it very uplifting to spend some time in the sun.

Swabby, you are in good company with the aging body parts. It is good to laugh about it, as there is not much we can do to change it. Short of expensive and painful plastic surgery, anyhow. Don't think I'd do that if it were affordable. Well, okay, maybe just get the fluid causing the undereye bags removed. Always figured our eyesight gets worse as we age for a reason...can't see our own or mate's physical flaws as well, lol.

Awelyn, the walk to Rivendell sounds like fun. A good motivator for sure. Sounds like you have a nice place to walk there. Lots of places we stay I'm uncomfortable walking alone. Not that they are bad areas, would just feel safer walking with someone. Bet if we could all walk together, we would be talking so much the miles would go by with ease. Now, if we could just beam ourselves to MT's beach...:love:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2006 03:14
Mae Govannen! have missed you all. Busy weekend and then hubby got sick. He danced the Green Apple Two Step all night and when he wasn't doing that he was tossing his cookies. Poor sweetie. Not sure whether it's flu or food poisoning. We were out at a restaurant yesterday celebrating my dad's 80th birthday, so perhaps hubby ate something that didn't agree with him. So I a missing sacred dance class tonight to tend to my one and only. Ah, such is life. I'll dance a bit before going to bed.

HT great poem. Thanks for sharing. Hallmark cards, eat your hearts out!

scots isn' t that the way - Life hands you a bag of lemons and a recipe for lemonade in one fell swoop. I am sure that you'll make the best of your situation. Scots are a notoriously tough lot. it would take an awful lot to get the better of them!

awelyn love the walk to Rivendell! Where do sign up?! I am trying to get on the treadmill more often. Can't wait unitl the walkaways clear up a bit so that hubby and can resume jogging. Can't believe that I am writing this, but I actually MISS IT!!!!

I really wanted to reach into the TV and straighten out that strange asymetrical dress that had her jubblies all schmooshed to one side
swabby!!! :nono: OK,OK, I laughed at your comment, which was much like hubby's. There he was, shaking with chills, nauseated and miserable and when she came out (or bounced out) he actually perked up and said that he suddenly felt better! But then, if His Vggoness came out wearing that little, I am sure that more than one of us at FoF would make a miraculous recovery

balrog was it you who politely diverted the snow away from us? or maybe the Big Lake (Gitchee Goomi) did that. Sorry that you had so much! Hope it melts soon! Just no flooding right?
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: March 06, 2006 03:27
Swabby,
You made me laugh and man did I need to laugh. Warranty indeedlol

OTB,I love your new OTB banner. It is very nice.

Mith, I like warmer weather too but I would need to live where the seasons change. If you were here I would walk with you as often as you like. You are right if we were together we would talk so much the miles would fly by in no time.

MTMS, I think I am not even out of the Shire but one step at a time. I think someone should have told us about this aging thing. You know what to expect and how to prevent or learn to live with them.

Balrog I love snow but I will let you keep your snow. I am waiting for Spring.

Hi Morwin,Bye Morwin.

I talked to Nenya Gold and she is a realm leader now and is very busy with her life right now. She said we were probably doing just fine and we are we miss her though.

Have a good night /morning.
Awelyn
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2006 04:07
*Whoooossshhh. Honk! Honk!* That's the sound of things whizzing over my head. What is the walk to Rivendell? I've heard of the Eowyn Challenge but not the walk to Rivendell. Ironically enough, in our FoF RP, we are doing just that. We're beginning our walk to Rivendell. I seem to remember something about art imitating life?
Lots of places we stay I'm uncomfortable walking alone. Not that they are bad areas, would just feel safer walking with someone. Bet if we could all walk together, we would be talking so much the miles would go by with ease. Now, if we could just beam ourselves to MT's beach...

I feel that way about walking here. Now, I live in a nice part of town, but I just don't think it's worth the risk walking alone at night. Baddies just don't stay in the less favorable parts of town. Because I really like to walk, it's frustrating for me. I don't have a treadmill and would dearly love to have one. It's not in the budget at the moment though. So I walk when I can. During the summer I usually log about 5 miles a day. 2.5 in the morning, 2.5 in the evening. I really love it. The spousal unit comes with me sometimes but can't really keep up with his bad feet. I wish I had my FoF friends to come and walk with me. We'd keep all the baddies at bay with the swords that we carry. Hmmmmm Maybe I ought to do that anyway. LOL

Gotsta bounce. Homework calleth. Take care all.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2006 07:09
Ah, swabby. I see that migrating eyebrows is just one of the many things to look forward to as I grow older. As it is, it won't be more than a year or two before I have to start coloring my beard if I want to be true to Bombadil and his brown beard. (It's well on its way to becoming entirely white and I'm only 44.)

OTB,I love your new OTB banner. It is very nice.
Thank you, awelyn. The original watercolor is by Anke Eißmann, a young German artist. (You can see the complete work towards the bottom of the linked page.)

My health has been stinkeroo the past few weeks. Two weeks ago I had a cold, last week my neck was whacked out of shape, and now my cold is back. I've already used 3 of the 6 sick days I'm alotted for the year, and one of my colleagues at work is out so I'm really needed at work to do some of the things he usually does. I hope my health improves over the remaining 9 months of 2006. (My neck is not quite as bad as last week, but I'm still icing it in the evenings. Oi! )

Take care everyone! :wave:

Old Tom Bomba *cough* is a *cough cough* fellow

Ah forget it, I'm going to bed!
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2006 02:31
I watched "North Country" with Charlize Therone on dvd last night. Sean Bean also had A small part in it. It dealt with sexual harassment in the workplace, and reminded me of other movies like "Silkwood" where one brave female stood up against A corporation and it's male-dominated "good ol' boys" network. It's an excellent movie and I recommend it. In my mind, it further exposed the workings of what I think of as "conservatism", which doesn't "conserve" anything except for the grip the powerful has on the weak. The older I get, the more I come to recognize the many injustices filling the world, and how they most often come from this same insecure, angry, greedy, cruel and uncaring type of people.

I guess we all age A little differently. I do have fits over my unrully eyebrow, possibly for the same reason Salma's dress bothered me----I like symetry and balance. On the other side of the coin, I do still have A full head of hair, all my teeth but one and am fully-functional in most ways.

Old Tom, I'm sorry to hear about your aches and pains. As for beards, mine is almost snow white now. I've seen those commercials where "greybeard" fails to get the girl, but I'm thinking that the gals here at FoF might like me better the way I am.

Sorry to hear about your situation, Scots, but like others have said, it could be A blessing in disguise.

You hubby has good taste in women-flesh, Neenime. I'll bet he and I would hit it off. Salma on A Ritz, mmmmm good cracker! Swabby

[Edited on 7/3/2006 by swabby]
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2006 02:40
OTB: I'm so sorry you're under the weather. Hot tea with lemon, a warm blanket and pillows, a quiet room, and a book by Tolkien (take your pick) will help speed you on your way to heath. I've missed something like 15 days this year! That's more than I've missed even in the year that I had my major surgery and missed the first two weeks of school! It's close to the total number of days missed in the 14 years I've been at my little school! The car accident caused some of the missed days of work while workshops dealing with school issues caused the majority of them. I hate being gone; it's such a hassle to get things caught up.

As for the neck...oh man do I know that feeling! Have you ever tried Aleve? That helped me the most of the meds that I took. I took it every eight hours. I was fortunate enough to be able to stay on over-the-counter meds although there were many times that I was thinking that I needed something just a mite stronger.

Speaking of school...time to go. Somewhere I hear the school bell ringing...Oh, right, that might be the ringing in my ears. Probably so as we don't *have* a school bell. ROFL
awelyn418
Send Message
on: March 07, 2006 03:51
Neenime Morwin can give you more details about the Rivendell walk. She is the one that got me interested. You can count any exercise too not just walking.

OTB, I am sorry you don't feel well and I can sympathize. I am on the mend but I still would love to stay home and rest. I know what you mean about work too. That is the only reason I am up and about. When I get home I am just exhausted. I can't wait to fall in bed. I really enjoyed the site. The German artist is excellent.

Have a good day at school.Scots. Good advice for OTB'S cold.

MTMS, I hope your surgery goes okay. You said it was minor didn't you?

Swabby, have a great day.

I have to get ready for work.
Awelyn

Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2006 05:36
Old Tom, I'm sorry to hear about your aches and pains. As for beards, mine is almost snow white now. I've seen those commercials where "greybeard" fails to get the girl, but I'm thinking that the gals here at FoF might like me better the way I am.
I'm not worried about "getting the girl"; I already have one.

The reason I've grown my hair and beard out is so that on those occasions that I'm portraying Bombadil I can be more convincing. A little white is okay, after all he's Old Tom Bombadil, but a beard that is completely white isn't going to cut it.

He had a bright blue coat and a long brown beard; his eyes were blue and bright...

Thank you all for your sympathy regarding my physical ailments. I hardly slept at all last night, and as I'm sitting here typing this I should be preparing for work. I'm going to call my manager in a bit to see if I can come in for 4 hours to perform the requisite tasks then take a 1/2 day vacation. He's very flexible, which is one of the things I greatly appreciate about him, so I'm thinking it will be okay.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2006 06:06
Thanks, awelyn I've PMed her for more info.

Old_Tom Yay for flexible supervisors! They make working for a living bearable and even enjoyable. Glad that you have a good one.

Middle Earth "Renfest" Cool idea, only on my break I want to go to the swords and weaponry tent please, please, pretty-please!!!! I likessss bright sssshiny thingsssss!
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2006 06:24
I had not meant that you would consider dying your beard so you could get A girl, Old Tom. The truth of the matter is that I dislike vanity and so wouldn't consider coloring my hair or beard, or any of those other things in an effort to make myself look younger or whatever. I chose to say what I said because I thought it sounded funny.
I am not trying to get A girl either, but I do enjoy joking with and interacting with the ladies here, and I think they understand that. Like you, I put on A performance of sorts, and that's what makes it fun for me and hopefully for them as well. I'm sorry that I have failed to recognize how serious you are about playing the part of Old Tom.

What A tragedy about Dana Reeves, the widow of Christopher. She has passed at the much too young age of 44 of cancer. She was such A pillar of strength and stood with her husband during all those trying years. I guess she must have just wanted to go and be with him. She was A real class act. Swabby

[Edited on 7/3/2006 by swabby]
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2006 07:59
Hi everyone

Thanks to all those who said nice things about my poem I appreciate it greatly.

Hi OT nice to hear from you sorry you have been under the weather.

Scots - sorry you cant walk out at night. I am in the fortunate position of living just minutes away from my workplace and I walk to work each morning. I cant drive which must seem odd to some of you across the water but living in Edinburgh with a good bus service I can certainly manage without a car.

Swabby re aging I thought your comments were very funny.

Take care everyone

Love and hugs

HT:heart:
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2006 01:37
OT, sorry to hear you are under the weather again. Hope you soon feel better.

MT: Hope you surgery goes well.

Here is a link to the Rivendell walk in the Many Meeting Forum, here on CoE. The thread is Fellowship of Wanderers-to Rivendell and beyond

I have accumulated 265.50 miles so far and am keeping a poorly Frodo and the Fellowship company. Very exciting, sharing a camp site with a certain Ranger. *cough* :naughty:

HT: I don't drive either and use the bus or shanks's pony to get around. We do have a car, but Ian just uses it to get to work and maybe taking me shopping at the weekend.

Swabby, maturity has a way of moving hair from one place to another, doesn't it. And unruly eyebrows are a pain in the rear. Lol!!

It's raining again in dear old Manchester, but at least it isn't as cold as it was.

Keep well, all my dear Tolkien Devotees. :hug:

Rose xx
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2006 01:42
HT, never realized you didn't drive. We seem to take that for granted in the USA. You probably save lots of hours on the road. Just goes to show we are so alike yet individual and I love that. And enjoy learning about you and everyone here.

Tomorrow I'm off for a sister visit. Keep in mind, this is the sister that for years tried to persuade me to read LOTR. She has Tolkien stuff from years ago. So will be lots to talk about and fun to be with a Tolkien lover.

Nice drawings on that site, OTB. Thanks for sharing.

Hope everyone is having a great week. Good to see you are behaving, Swabby, j/k! :hug: :love::heart:
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2006 02:51
I had not meant that you would consider dying your beard so you could get A girl, Old Tom. The truth of the matter is that I dislike vanity and so wouldn't consider coloring my hair or beard, or any of those other things in an effort to make myself look younger or whatever. I chose to say what I said because I thought it sounded funny...
I feel the same way. I find the current obsession with getting breast implants, and liposuction, and botax, and all that other junk is ridiculous, but what can you do?

I know, too, that you were joking. I was just reflecting on how nice it is that I don't have to jump through a bunch of hoops to try to impress my wife. I know that she loves me, and finds me attractive despite my long hair and beard. She even compliments me on how nice I keep it looking.

Yes, I am pretty serious about looking the part of Tom Bombadil. Believe me, the only reason I'd dye my beard is for a role. Fortunately most people who have seen me in costume or have seen pictures of me in costume say, "You look just like him!". When I mentioned to Alan Lee that my wife and I dressed as Tom and Goldberry he looked at us and said, "I can see that."

So no hard feelings or anything like that, okay?

My boss gave me the half-day. He was even willing to let me stay home for the whole day, but I bit the bullet and went to so that I could accomplish the most important things that needed to be done.

My cold has definitely become bronchitis. I've been there and done that, and apparently am doing it again. Blech! :twitch:
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2006 04:45
Hi Everyone,

Life has been busy and I have missed you all.

Al and Tom, hope your illnesses leave you soon. There has been a nasty stomach virus making the rounds at school.

Scots, I know you will miss your small school, but sometimes even we teachers have to consider money and benefits. I too hate to be out even though many workshops are very valable...it seems like it takes more time to prepare for a sub than just stay and teach yourself.

Swabby, I also was saddened by Dana Reeve's death. It seems like such a lot of heartache for one family and especially their son.

Do not shave off that eyebrow and paint one on!!! You would look like some sort of mutant Joan Rivers.

Mith, spring is here!!! The weather forcast is for temps in the upper 60's and MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE thunderstorms!!! (I beg pardon and wish a safe spring for any of you living in tornado alley) This time of year always reminds me of the April 9 tornado that hit parts of Cincy a few years back at about 6:30 in the morning...it just happened to be my spring break or the tornado and I would have crossed paths on I 275. And the Xenia storm way back when I was in high school...powerful and unforgiving storms.
So Swabby, when the wind rises and the sky gets green, run for the basement or storm cellar or at least hide under the chicken coop!!!!

May I bike to Rivendell? I got my recumbant bike and have been trying to do at least ten minutes a day. I think I've made it from Bag End to maybe the Green Dragon.....time to stop for a pint!

Hope everyone is healthier and in spring time spirits!

Sindy
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2006 11:55
As I have read the current posts I feel that I have fallen behind some and that is okay, but makes it hard to comment intelligable about what you have all been doing. (Poor typing skills aren't much help either.)

I'm just glad to be still here among such fine people, and wanted to let you know that life is very busy in Idaho about now too. We have 4 calves being born each day and so we have to keep an eye on them as well as other farm duties. The weather has been somewhat warm with fits of somewhat cold so we do worry about the conditions the little ones are born in.
Following that are Kelly's farm work (besides the cows) and my day job as a school teacher.

We are doing well and seeing the calves land on the ground and then watch as they beat the odds and get up and walk and drink from their mommies and begin to thrive and play and cavort in the corral. Well, It renews the Spirit of Life. You can see how another year has come full circle and how things are just as they should be. Gotta Love it.

Not much else to tell. Happy Birthday to Swabby. My Birthday is later this month as well on March 26.
Later All,
Hugs to All

Gabby/Debbie/Brandywine
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2006 02:16
I appreciate your concerns about the possibility of Swabby getting sucked up by A twister, Sindy. If I don't live in tornado alley, I'm very close to it, and I have no basement, storm shelter or even A sturdy chicken coop for protection. I do, however, live in A very solid brick house that has been tornado-proofed. You see, this neighborhood was hit by A twister ten years ago and several hundred houses, including this one, had their roofs torn up and windows knocked out, etc. So, to my way of thinking, it is very unlikely that this house will ever get whacked by A tornado again. The next time twisters come through here, I'm just going to sit on the front porch sipping A mint julip and watch other people's houses sail by, knowing that I'm completely safe!
Yikes! Joan Rivers? No way do I want to look like her, she's scary and irritating. I'm going to try super-glue. I'll just glue each individual hair in place. Anything but Joan Rivers!

It's very rare to find anyone in America that doesn't drive. My ex-wife's parents didn't. Living in A very small town with no bus service, they depended on friends, relatives and taxis to haul them around. Me, I couldn't wait to get A car. I was A motor-head and liked anything with an engine and wheels, but I also knew that you had to have A car in order to get dates. I think I got my first car within A few days of getting my driver's license.

Say hello for me to your LotR loving sister, Mith.

It's nice to hear from you, Brandywine, and I am also awed by the miracle of life. It sounds like your plate has been quite full lately.

Happy Wednesday, and may Spring pay you all A visit very soon. Swabby

[Edited on 8/3/2006 by swabby]
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2006 03:01
Hi Sindy It does indeed seem like Spring is here this week. Yesterday was a bit cool here but filled with sunshine. And it is supposed to warm up quite a bit the next few days. Great to hear from you.

OTB, hope you are soon feeling better. We don't want Goldberry having to fetch her own water lilies.

Brandywine, sounds like you do have a busy life but a rich and full one. How cool you get to witness the calf births every year.

Swabby, will say hello for you. This is one of 3 sisters - I am the oldest and 3 younger. She was always the "bookworm" of the family and is full of information like the scientific names for the many growing things in her gardens and the only vegetarian in the family. Enjoy time with her very much and love the peacefulness at her home in the country.

Well best get ready. Heading off in the elf-mobile soon! :wave:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2006 03:03
HT: I don't drive either and use the bus or shanks's pony to get around.

Okay, showing ignorance here again. What is a shank's pony? I've got to increase my lexicon!

I drive every day to work. I wish I was within walking distance of school because I truly love to walk. But as I live about 25 miles from work it might take me a bit too long to get there. The teacher would be tardy every day. I carpool with my partner-in-crime most days. We have a midpoint that we both go to and trade off weeks driving. When gas went sky-high, we decided it was a responsible thing to do. After we started we realized how much fun it was to drive together every morning and evening. We also found that we got more work done at school because we didn't spend our time talking before and after school. We reserve that for the drive. It's bee a good thing. Well, apart from the cell-phone talking/arguing with her mommy teeny-bopper who blew the stop sign and t-boned my car. :angry: Won't go there. Makes me nuts even still.

The spousal unit called from work this morning and said that there was quite a bit of lightning from the south and southwest. Hopefully it means thunderstorms. I LOVE thunderstorms! Now, when they get violent and turn into twisters...weeeellll, maybe that's not so cool. I've watched my share of the twisters here on the PoG which also happens to be smack dab in the middle of tornado alley. One came up so suddenly not even an eighth of a mile from where our house was that we were very lucky not to be blown away. The rain was driven through the walls! It was incredible. My sister's house was blown apart during the Grand Island, NE tornadoes of 1980. We were there to take the little girls back to Colorado Springs where I lived at the time. WE were assuring them that there weren't tornadoes in Colorado. The tornadoes followed us all the way home, and there were tornado warnings and sirens going on and off all night long. Those poor little girls! They grew up to be fine women though.

Then the Hallam, NE tornadoes of 2004. We were landing at the PoG airport just returning from our trip to England and Scotland when that particular storm hit. Now, that was almost too close for comfort. But they are awe-inspiring sights, tornadoes are.

OMG!! I am late to work! *rushes off like a frazzled chicken*
awelyn418
Send Message
on: March 08, 2006 03:33
My mother-in-law does not drive a car. Thank God, she has tried to get her license but fails the driving part every time. She is 82 now and has decided she does not need one. It would be better if more people did not have to drive for our environment.

Hi,Sindy and Brandywine. :wave: I remember being nine and watching a calf being born. My mother had made me leave but I was sneaky. I crept to another part of the pasture and witnessed the miracle of birth. I was so filled with awe at what I was seeing and trying to hurry away before I got caught by my mom. I was torn but happy with what I had just seen.

OTB and Swabby, I agree with you about the plastic surgery craze. I just can't believe the pain people will go through to look younger for a few years. I am going to age gracefully and I find it is the beauty on the inside that shines forth and that is the beauty I want to have not the artificial kind.

I hate tornadoes and I have a basement . I would love a storm shelter too. I have been in 2 tornadoes. I love Spring and sometimes tornadoes go hand in hand with springtime. I do live in tornado alley.
Hi Mith drive careful. Elf-mobile huh. I want a ride.

If I have left anyone out I am sorry just chalk it up to my menopause memory.

It has started to rain gently but it is a gloomy spring like day. It has started to thunder and my smallest dog hates that sound.
I have to get ready for work. Have a great day. I am feeling so much better.
awelyn418
Send Message
on: March 08, 2006 03:39
Hi Scots, I hope you were not to late. Yes HT, I would like to know what type of transportation is a shank's pony?
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: March 08, 2006 04:03
awelyn, I believe shank's pony means you walk. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone from the UK.

Rainy and cloudy today here in Southern California. But we need it.
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2006 09:29
That's right, Belle. Not a pony at all really but your own two feet or legs. The lower part of the leg between the knee and ankle is called the shank.

Rain here too, Belle.

Good to see you Brandywine.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2006 03:57
Dadgum it, OTB! You just can't seem to shake those feel bad blues! Bet you're sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. Know that I'm sending healing thoughts and prayers your way.

Brandywine, we share the same birthday!!! I will be %# on the 26th of March. That will be the last day of my spring break. Last year I gave myself (to celebrate a BIG birthday milestone) a Middle earth birthday party. I had a monumental time. Since I may be recovering from minor surgery, I'll take it easy this year, but will make up for it next year. Do you have any special plans to celebrate?

If you think aging is tough, swabby, try it as a woman. My body is doing things on its own without consulting me or giving me warning. I was feelling headachy, foggy-brained and tired. Perhaps I should skip Stephen Ministry class and go to bed early. I'll call the other Stephen Ministers and tell them that I may not be there. "Oh, it's my turn to teach the lesson? I hope the extra strength ibuprophen kicks in quick enough. Boy, I'll be so glad when I'm on the other side of surgery.

awelyn418
Send Message
on: March 09, 2006 03:34
Oh, it means walking good to know Thanks Belle. I knew what shank was but I also thought that cloot was clot and not clothes so I was not taking any chances. Ht, do you walk alot? Rose ,you don't drive either? I like the name Ian I almost named my son Brian that name.

We have had lightening and thunder all night long. It has rained so much that spots in my backyard look like a pond and it is still raining. So, I did not get to much sleep last night. Sinus is still driving me crazy.

MTMS ,you did say it was a minor surgery. You will be in my prayers. I know what you mean about a woman aging. Woman should be given a handbook on aging so we would know what to expect.

I hope Swabby made it through the storms last night. It was suppose to be really bad there last night.

Well, I am off to work. Have a good day.
Awelyn

Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2006 03:38
Greetings everyone. Wow, am I glad it's almost weekend. this has been an uncommonly hectic week and my body and spirit are very tired. Arrived home after a late work night yesterday and felt just spent and fixin' to be right cranky. A hot bath and some reading set me right 'though, before I snapped anyone's head off.

I'm reading THE COSMIC TRILOGY by C. S.Lewis. It's very intellectual good-versus-evil, Christian allegory. A bit hard on my poor old brain late at night. Interesting nonetheless, but without the emotional satisfaction of LOTR or Sil. Ah well, I was curious. I may or not finish it.

*chuckles and shakes her head* - I just set up the coffee-maker for a co-worker but it started making very odd noises. Well that's becauase I forgot to put water in.:rolleyes: Duuuuuuh! Apparently I'm not as well rested as I thought I was.

Birthing of calves- what a special miracle to witness. We city dwellers have largely lost touch with the wonder and the sacrifice and effort involved in growing our food. My hat is off to farmers everywhere. We value them too little and their livelihood is going kaput. What they must feel like as they battle high costs, low prices and the weather............ :banghead:

Say, how are the smoking-quitters doing ? I haven't seen much news about this on the thread. Is everyone doing OK? And if you're not, just remember, that "relapses" are a totally normal part of quitting. I heard that at a presentation yesterday by a psychiatrist, talking about substance use and abuse. Don't let slips discourage you. Keep trying. Your FoF friends are behind you! et:

Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: March 09, 2006 04:08
*flies by again*

I just want to wish everybody a nice weekend; I'll be away until Monday, and sure will have a lot to catch when I get back. Then, I probably won't have to run around like a headless chicken. :dizzy:
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2006 08:25
Hi

Awelyn

I wouldn't say I walk very much 10 minutes in to work up 2 flights of stairs and then at night back up my steep hill and my apartment flight of stairs. Otherwise it is walking between bus-stops and whatever my destination. On Saturdays I like to walk around the shops in Princes Street. My other way of trying to keep fit is a Wednesday Aerobics class which is held at my work. One hour of that and I am knackered for the rest of the week!

I saw a bit of a TV program this morning where a couple in the US had mummified bodies in their antique and curiosity shop - They were from the 19th century - I was a bit shocked that they could have such things on display I would have thought the bodies should have had a burial - however museums often have mummified bodies on display and although they tend to be much older I wonder if there is a difference? Any thoughts on this?

Take care everyone

HT:heart:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2006 12:18
I've seen dried-out or "mummified" American Indians on display in New Mexico, so I guess you can keep dead bodies under certain conditions, HT. Some would say that certain employees of our government have died but remain propped up by hat racks, photo-copiers and such. There was much speculation on that point when I was in the Navy. There was actually A memo circulated that warned of carreer sailors who had expired on the job but were still collecting their paychecks. According to said memo, there were A lot of Chief Petty Officers, especially, (Belle may know something about this) who had in fact passed on, expired, given up the ghost, etc, but had somehow escaped the undertaker. We were instructed to perform certain tests on any Chiefs we observed who failed to move for more than three days. I'll never forget one Chief who leaned against the bulkhead next to the coffee urns for an exceedingly long time. I was quite sure he had died, but when I passed A steaming hot cup of coffee under his nose (as per instructions) he reached out and snatched it from me, then proceeded to cuss me out for taking so long. If he had not responded to the coffee, I was to have tried A number of other drinks and foodstuff, including A plate of sos, A very cold bottle of beer, A skewer of Philipine-style monkey meat, and finally, A paycheck. If he didn't go for the paycheck, that was it. He was officially retired and sent home, where I can only assume he then became A Civil Service employee or politician. Swabby
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2006 12:43
I agree with you awelyn about having an owner's manual for women. I have no females in my family to talk to about the changes that come along with aging. Thank goodness I love my gynocologist! I'm having an endometral ablation done. It's supposed to zap the endometral lining of the uterus. Hopefully most of my problems will be gone and I will be happier. I appreciate your prayers.

C.S. Lewis makes you "work" when you read his "offerings" but I enjoy his way of relating spiritual topics. Let me know what you think of what you're reading neenime as I haven't read it yet.

How strange of have mummies on display in a shop. Kinda creepy if you ask me. Do you remember where in the US this was HT? Don't worry, I'm NOT planning on a visit to view the deceased.

Hope swabby had battened down the hatches. It's "powerful windy: here, as my grandfather (Big Buddy) would say. Felt like I may have to lash myself to the mast so I won't blow overboard....like Captain Dan in Forest Gump.

Today was our final day with the review team from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. We have written and submitted a self-study describing how we meet their standards. Their visit was to see that we are doing what we say we are and to make any recommendations and commendations. The team leader shared the recommendations,most of which were for additional staff and remaining in our present location. The commendations were many but the one that I remember most mentioned an enviroment of joy in learning. I am blessed to be where I am doing what I am. Thanks be to God!!:love:

Tomorrow the superintendent is to come for a "walk-through of our school. This has been a draining week, but after he leaves, I bet there will be teachers dancing in the halls. In another week...spring break!! Boy, do we deserve it!! (Good reason to buy a copy of A HIstory of Violence)

MT

Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2006 01:53
...If he had not responded to the coffee, I was to have tried A number of other drinks and foodstuff, including A plate of sos, A very cold bottle of beer, A skewer of Philipine-style monkey meat, and finally, A paycheck...
Very interesting, swabby. In my training as an Aeromedical Technician in the USAF I was taught methods of determining the level of consciousness of an individual but none of them included using coffee, beer, or monkey meat.

I guess that's just a small example of one of the many differences between swabbies and flyboys.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2006 02:11
Very interesting, swabby. In my training as an Aeromedical Technician in the USAF I was taught methods of determining the level of consciousness of an individual but none of them included using coffee, beer, or monkey meat.

Very cute, Tom! My hubby was trained as a nurse and I don't think they used that method either.

I do, however, identify with swabby's comments. I was in the civil service of our province's Ministry of Health for 21 years and met a lot of staff who were "practicing for retirement".

Speaking of mummified, there is apparently an exhibit at either a museum or the science centre in Toronto, of some very controversial artwork. Some German fellow injects plastic into the bodies of deceased people (presumably with permsission of the family) and creates art. He then removed or elevated various cross-sections and you can really see the human body. Grisly yet somehow fascinating. Apparently they are posed in quite artistic positions. I heard from one person that it's really quite beautiful. Certainly not everyone's cup of tea. :twitch:
<< First1314151617Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email