Register

<< First1112131415Last >>
Author Topic:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part V
on: February 25, 2006 08:28
swabby,my dear, down in LA our Mardi Gras celebrations are family oriented..."no boobs allowed!!" There were vendors trying to sell these form fitting foam torsos that featured said "appendages" but the police ran them off. It's even more family oriented on my side of the bay. There are almost as many children present as adults, especially where I go (near the park, across the street from my school). One of our custodians showed me part of his "haul" from the parade...4 thong panties. Hope none of the kids asked what they were or he'd have to put one on his head and call it a "hat".
Being the pillsbury doughboy has it's benefits. I've always wanted to hug that cute little guy!! :hug:

Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2006 10:20
Old Tom seems a bit quiet at the moment but I am sure he will pop up again soon.
*POP*

It's nice to know I'm missed. I apologize for my absence. I guess I haven't had much to say, and have been busy doing other things. I've also been a bit under the weather.

I think I mentioned that I had a cold the week before last. I took a couple of days off work and didn't go to the gym all week. I went to the gym Monday and Tuesday this week, but haven't been back because on Tuesday I developed a terrible headache due to a (literal) pain in my neck.

I went to bed early on Tuesday, right after dinner in fact, but when I awoke on Wednesday I still had the headache. I went to work, though, and used a heating pad on my neck. I put ice on my neck in the evening at home. I didn't get much sleep Wednesay night due to the pain. I worked a half-day on Thursday, and went to see my chiropractor Thursday afternoon. I iced my neck more on Thursday at home. I stayed home Friday (yesterday), using ice off and on throughout the day.

My neck, jaw, and right shoulder all hurt, so I've been treating them with ice. I'll be using the ice all weekend and hope things are back to normal on Monday. I really hate missing my workouts.

Other than that things have been great.

I'm glad you don't have to have surgery, Scots. Back and/or neck surgery is a pretty dicey thing. I'd avoid it if at all possible. Besides the ice I'll occasionally use generic Tylenol (acetaminophen) to manage the pain but it doesn't help much. I used to use aspirin or Motrin but I've stopped taking them since developing problems with my stomach.

If we ever do all get together, it sounds like we'll have to have the Mother of All LOTR Trivia contests.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: February 25, 2006 11:05
OTB, I think I would go the doctor if after treated it today it still hurts. I guess my concern is my mom complained of your symptoms and had a stroke. Vascular problems can cause that pain but so can a pain in the neck. I know I am a worry wart but age has nothing to do with stroke. So, be cautious okay. I wish I could workout but since I had a sever hernia surgery I am not allowed. I use to work out at least three times a week. I had 18 incisional hernia's so I can't lift anything over 25 pounds. It is very frustrating.

Congrats Mith. I forgot to tell you last time.

Swabby ,it might be a little chilly lying in that mud puddle. My mom told me when I was two she caught me eating dirt with a spoon. I don't remember the taste of dirt.

MTMS, I knew some parades were family orientated because my sister lived in Slidell La. and would take her children to them. I wish I had some of your beads my granddaughters love them.
You have a good time .

Hi Morwin :wave:

I have to go I will be back later.
Awelyn:heart:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2006 12:35
It's nice to hear from you Old Tom, but I share Awelyn's concerns about your symptoms. Pain in the neck, shoulder and jaw would certainly set off alarms if I had them. (Symptoms, not alarms) The other possibility is that Old man Willow has sneaked (yes, sneaked) one of his roots into your bedroom and is giving you A tweak in your sleep. "Beware the root that sneaked into your place of sleep and with not A squeek gave your neck A tweak for revenge so sweetly reaped." Swabby knows about these things.

Thanks for setting me straight about the LA Mardis Gras, my dear MT. I shall make A note of the fact that the LA Mardis Gras is both boobless and thongless.
That is too sweet of you to imply that you would like to give the doughboy A hug. (Doughboy loves hugs)

You're right Awelyn, it was very cold in that mud puddle. I've got to look my best for when I get that hug, though, and I think the cold and the mud is helping. Even though I've noticed quite A bit of shrinkage here and there, I'm not worried because I'm sure that A hug from MT will get this lump of dough from the South rising again. (Hahaha! South, rise again----get it?) I love those baking jokes! Swabby
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2006 02:18
Thank you everyone for your concerns, but it's not a vascular problem. I've had pain in my neck for years as a result of the work I do, namely sitting at a computer all day. It's mostly on the right side of my neck, and involves the muscles that go to the shoulder. The pain radiating to my jaw was a first, but I think it was just the nerves being overtaxed. When I saw the chiropractor on Thursday he made some adjustments to my jaw as well as my neck. I'm sure the pain in my jaw is a result of that.

I had a nap earlier this afternoon, and am feeling much better. I still have some pain on the right side of my jaw, neck, and shoulder but the muscle spasms and what have you have calmed down a bit. I'm hoping I'll be doing better on Monday morning so I can return to the gym.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2006 06:30
My pain in the neck..aside from politicians..is caused by a bulging disk. After my accident, I went to a chiropractor which didn't do me any good. He was sharp sighted enough to send me to an orthopedist when the adjustments didn't help...bless him! I'm always going to have to live with the pain, but it's a whole lot better than it was and is very managable most days. Generic Aleve is a wonderful thing.

Now that I'm feeling better, the kitchen cabinet repainting continues! The uppers are finally done. Hey, I've only been working on them since July! What's the hurry?? The spousal unit asked me ever so gently to hopefully get the bottom cabinets done a little more quickly than the uppers. If he wants them done more quickly, he can darn well help! Sometimes there are days................. :angry: :angry: But I did get one bank of them cleaned, sanded, and one coat of primer on today. *the cat decided to walk across the wet primer on the bottom shelf. Now I have kitty prints around the cabinet, her paws are tinged with white primer as well as a strip down her side. Stupid cat!* Tomorrow will be the second coat of primer, then let it dry for a few days. Then the first coat of paint. Yay. It's a small bank, so that helps. But it's one less that I have to do! Then hopefully this summer we can tear out the hideous counter tops and put new ones in. Then it's just the floor that needs doing. The spousal unit has painted the walls...almost all the way. We take a long time to get things done. Oh, well, gives us something to do.

Have a lovely weekend all.
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2006 07:17
Hi everyone.

Just thought I would pop in for a few. Nice to hear some people are going to become grandparents. I am not one YET.

Things are going fine. I'm going to take a few days off at the end of March so that I can do some spring cleaning. The roomie has done that in the 5 years she's been here. I think I need to get rid of the dust that has accumulated in the corners. When I sit at the computer, all I can smell is dust. Then I sneeze like crazy. Thank God it's not often. Only when the heater cuts in.

Loved the jokes and poems. They were hilarious.

Happy Belated Birthday, neenime. Hope you have a great trip.

Our cold spell is gone. But the wind is still up.

I used to play in the mud when I was a kid. Maybe that's why people say that my facial skin looks good. I don't us any makeup or creams. Just old plain water.

I would love to play LOTR Trivial Pursuit. I love board games also. I'm keeping an eye out for the game. Might pick it up on my shopping spree that I have planned at the end of March. While shopping, I'm going to shop for a calligraphy set. I've got to get back to it. I have a blank book that needs some attention. I think I might use some of Tolkien's languages in it. Practice on doing that writing. I might do a scape book on LOTR things.

Well I have to go. Got to catch up on some sleep.

namarié
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2006 02:20
It's now 6:20 Sunday evening, and I'm going to post something for the simple reason that no one else has all day.
I took my son into Fort Smith this afternoon and let him pick out some new music cd's. He got Pink Floyd "The Wall" and an Iron Maiden cd. I got the Beatles "Let it Be". There were two things in life, that I can think of, that I should have owned but never did, now there is only one. Somehow, I've managed to own Studebakers, Toyotas, MG's, Fords, Chevrolets, Triumphs, Plymouths, A Hillman "Minx", Honda, Audi and A Cadillac, but I've never owned A VW beetle. I don't know if I ever will, either. Wow, A new Beatle Album! Swabbs
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2006 05:03
It's almost 9 pm and I've been Mardi Grasing for almost 12 hours straight!! Fun fun fun!!! :disco: :cheers: :rolling:

I called you from the Joe Cain parade, awelyn, but you weren't home. I left a message.

I've got about 85 lbs. of beads. Now why will I go to a parade tomorrow night and two on Tuesday??? I've got Mardi Gras fever!!:evil: We had a great place to park, eat, sit, chat- a parking area that is fenced off with a porta-potty of our own to use. Wish you all could have been along. It was most fun.

I'm exhausted!! My arms hurt from waving them in the air, throat is scratchy from screaming "Hey baby!!" to the maskers on the floats, legs and back are "sensitive from all the leaning over to gather goodies I didn't catch in mid-air. My feet did a little bit of walking and some running here and there to catch the parade a second time.

There was a knights of the Kegs float that brought you to mind swabby and the Maguire's Irish Pub maraching band in kilts that made me wish all of you gals were at my side when I clapped and shouted "Hurray!!"

Someone needs to point me to my bed. I'm slap-happy.

Night, my FoF friends!!
awelyn418
Send Message
on: February 26, 2006 05:50
Yes I got your message MTMS, you Mardi Gras nut. I wish I would have got to talk to you. Such energy in a message on the phone. Ok I could have heard the Mardi Gras scream 2 states over

I talked with Belle today . It was a great conversation. She is so much fun to talk to and has a great sense of humor. She has a great voice.
Thanks Belle , I can't wait till we talk again.

Swabby, I just could not let you and MTMS be the only FOF friends to post. I will post again tomorrow.

Hi Balrog, I missed you.

Scots your cabinets will look beautiful when they are finished. Have a good weekend . What's left of it anyway.
I am off to bed I have to take my dogs to the groomers before work and I am tired. :yawn:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2006 02:45
Happy Monday!
MT, it sounds like you had a riot at Mardi Gras! I'm glad you were there to represent us.

As for me, I don't know that I would feel comfortable with all those people. Yes, believe it or not, I tend to be a bit on the shy and retiring side. More than a bit actually. I almost never make the first move on anything. I am better than I used to be though. I'm not antisocial by any stretch of the imagination, and once I get comfortable in a situation...watch out!! But something like Mardi Gras is so outside anything that I've experienced, I think I would be overwhelmed. Someday maybe.

Off to work. No school today though. The small schools are meeting to work on assessment materials. It will probably be more of a #%^@( session though with all that's going on with the small schools. That and we never get to see other adults in a school situation that it's so nice just to sit and talk with other teachers. A little sanity time is good. I cling to sanity most days, and to be grounded once and awhile is nice.

Take care all and have a good week.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2006 03:30
:wave: Hey everyone! Nice to be back. Thanks so much for all your birthday greetings. Had a lovely weekend with hubby. Rested, sat in the jacuzzi, shopped a little, read lots, had tasty meals and some lovely photo opportunities. We saw FIVE bald eagles on the way back. Have never seen so many in all my life. Most were camera shy but hubby got one sitting in a tree, guarding his deer carcass roadkill). (click on the photo to enlarge it)

The only down side was bad weather for the first day. Swirling snow most of the drive down left me tired and with eye strain. Slippery conditions in Duluth meant people getting stuck on hills (of which there are many in that City) and a close call for us when we slid down the last part of a hill. This was despite good snow tires, ABS brakes, going slowly AND braking early. Yikes! Fortunately, everyone at the intersection was trying to drive uphill too, and they weren't making much progress, so our light changed to green and off we rolled, VERRRRRY slowly til we got to our motel. Whew!

OK - just a quick note before dashing off to work. Has anyone else noticed a proliferation of "big ring on a chain" jewellry? I have seen it on TV (balrog - Sandy Renaldo of CTV was wearing one recently), and on people in 2 or 3 cities that I've been to. IS this a subtle LOTR influence in fashion? Let's send out the FoF investigators to gather some data................

TTFN
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2006 06:12
Sorry to hear you are still hurting, OTB. Maybe Goldberry could put some water lilies on your neck. Seriously, hope the ice helps and you are pain-free and able to resume your normal routine.

Scots, was wondering if your doctor tried steroids? Hubby went to a doctor when we got home to Ohio in December and the dr gave him a small amount of steroids. Hubby said it seemed like they helped right away when nothing else had worked. He only had to take them a short time but the healing effects have lasted and his neck has been pretty much back to normal.

Glad to have you safely back, Neenime! Love the photos, they are awesome - your hubby sure has talent. I've taken lots of pics but seldom do they look anything like that! Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like you've had quite the time at Mari Gras, MT! So much energy there and in you - can feel it through the FOF thread! Very interesting to hear about it all. Watch out for the Arkansas mud pies. :cheers:

Swabby, what fun kitchen humour you have! Hope you are enjoying your new Beatle's album. :disco:

It was a very cold weekend here. The weather people are calling for snow today but haven't seen any yet. I really dread taking the new car out in the snow. So hoping it misses this area.

Hope you all have a wonderful week and are warm and healthy! :love::heart: :hug:
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: February 27, 2006 08:04
Today, I returned to work, and felt at once that I'd need another week of vacation. My brain simply didn't work at all. It didn't help that tomorrow, we're going to have a personnel training that takes the whole day so, I had to do some of tomorrow's work today.

Sorry to hear about your neck, OTB. Sore neck isn't unfamiliar to me either, just because of the nature of my work as well; and, my husband has also had very painful neck aches at times, to which he has been prescribed stronger medication and physiotherapy. If the pain doesn't subside soon, I also second the opinion of seeing a doctor about it.

MTMS, sounds that you had a good time at the Mardi Gras, although it was a "tamed" version!

Neenime, nice to hear that you had a great weekend! The photo of the eagle was very good!

Hugs to all the FoF:s - it's only 8 pm, but I feel ready for bed... :sleepy:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2006 11:59
Scots, was wondering if your doctor tried steroids?

I've had two steroid shots in the neck. Zowie! Those needles are L-O-N-G! The doc said that I've responded so well to the first two shots that he thinks that life will be good. I go to see him again in two months, and then we'll reevaluate at that time. He says that it should progress and heal on it's own in time. He doesn't think that surgery will have to happen which makes me more than happy. But of course, if things go downhill, then I will have to go back to square one.

Weather here on the PoG is absolutely lovely today. It's in the high sixties with very little wind. It's almost like spring. Too bad I've had to work on assessments today. Oh, right, that's what I'm supposed to be doing now. I guess I should go back and act like I'm actually doing something.

Cheers!
awelyn418
Send Message
on: February 27, 2006 05:11
I loved the picture of the eagle. It was beautiful as well as the scenery. I've said it once and I will say it again Neenime you husband has talent. I am glad you had a good time and you did not have an accident with your car.

Scots we are having spring like weather here. I have crocus coming up and hyacinths too. The daffodils have been coming up for a week.

I hope you have a good sleep Morwin.

Hi Mith I hope you don't get snow.
Have a goodnight.:heart:
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2006 06:54
Hi everyone. :wave:

Glad everyone is doing fine. Nice to hear that you had a great time on your birthday neenime. Thanks for the heads up on the ring. I know that when I wear mine, I feel like I have a little bit more power (energy) in my soul. Maybe that's what is getting me through the days. I don't know. I also have it out when I'm watching LOTR dvd's. It seems like it has a power of it's own. Hope it won't turn me into anything... unnatural. :naughty:

Neenime: I also like the pic of the eagles. Reminds of Gwaihir. The eagle that saved Gandalf on the top of Orthanc. He looks like he's ready to save someone else. He is gorgeous.

MT: Sounds like your having fun at Mardi Gras. Have a drink for me. :cheers:

scots56: Nice to here you don't have to have surgery. I don't wish it on anyone. We still have a few feet of snow on the ground. Wish I was there soaking up the sun with you and having iced tea.

Morwin: I also have had times when I took vacations and couldn't get back to work. It was hard. Almost like retraining yourself all over again.

Well, I must go and do some work with my writing. Trying out new fonts for my books. I'm taking up calligraphy again to learn how to write in Tolkien's landguages. I'm getting a calligraphy set in the mail that I purchased on ebay. I am going to have fun with it when it arrives.

Catch you all on the flip side.

Guess I should say HI :wave: to the men on our forum. Without them we would not have the poetry or the funnies from a man's point of view. So I bow to them.

namarié
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2006 07:23
Glad that you got my message awelyn. You heard the yell??? I thought that maybe the sound of the Harleys might have drowned my cousin out. I wanted to jump on the back of one and ride off into the sunset..but then I would've missed the parade and that would never do!

Hope your neck/back feel better soon Old Tom. Good thing that you are checking out all possibilities.

Those kitty print cabinets sound interesting scots. My cat likes to rub against me while I paint, making me a little messier than I usually am. Per,haps you've stumbled upon a new design technique/trend???
Believe it or not, I used to be shy. I've become more comfortable with myself and learned to love myself, faults and all. The more "risks" I take, the more I find enjoyment and satisfaction in success or attempts in that direction. I've read that in looking back on their lives, older folks say that if they could live their lives over again they would take more risks. If you come to Mardi Gras next year, I'll help you get comfy in "taking risks" around the barracades.

Great pic, neenime. Sounds like you had a relaxing time with hubby.

I know you wouldn't be shy in the crowd, miith. :disco: If I had your number, I would.ve called you too. Let me know if you want a Mardi Gras call, as tomorrow is the last day and last parade for a while.

Hope you get your brain back in gear, Morwin Sometimes takes a while for it to realize what's required of it now that things are no longer in "vacaton mode."

Talked with a wonderful gentleman today. Felt like we've known him for a very long time. You know, he just may be my cousin after all. Maybe he'll keep silent about the family secrets, and then again maybe he'll put them to rhyme.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2006 05:12
Although I tried to do A post yesterday, I was prevented from doing so by the internet orcs, server saurons or other unknown diabolical factions. Although I have sailed the seven seas and faced all manner of obstacle and foe, I am but A babe in the woods when tread upon by the invisible dark lord "Electron" and his horrible hoard of viruses, programs and cookie monsters. If I could only see them, I could fight them.

I had naively thought that after A very long day of Mardis Gras madness, during which she set off small tremors with her jumping up and down, and having collected her own weight in beads, that our unsinkable MT might have been just A wee bit tired yesterday morning, but of course I was wrong. My telephone rang and there on the other end was the clear, strong voice of the real, live "Energizer Bunny". It is my understanding that this lovely shieldmaiden was to have done it all over again last night, so I don't yet know if tiredness ever found her, or if, in her zest for life, she was merely rejuvinated by it all. I was A very happy and contented fellow as I talked with this terrific lady who seemed like an old friend. We may or may not be related, but there is no doubt that we are kin. I believe there are intrinsic qualities and traits peculiar to Tolkein-lovers that makes us into A kind of family.

I am quite sure that I'm undeserving of such blessed attention as I have received lately, but only A fool would have regrets or say "I want no more of it". I truly believe that the folks here at FoF are some of the most special people I've ever had the pleasure to meet, and I'm not afraid to say that I'm developing A very deep love for you all.
If any of you want to make your day A better one, I suggest you call up one of the other FoF members. Happy Tuesday, Swabby
awelyn418
Send Message
on: February 28, 2006 03:14
FOF friends, I am sick,sick, sick.:cry: Ive 101 fever and I am coughing and have chills. My teeth even hurt. I have a sore throat and my ears hurt. I am falling apart. I will go to the doctor tomorrow. I am drinking extra liquids and taking Tylenol or motrin whatever I can get to quickest. I am crabby because I am not getting sympathy. I think I will eat chicken soup and crawl to bed. You women know how when anyone in your family is sick and you take care of them but if it is you it's another story. Sorry, I will quit complaining and go to bed. :dizzy:
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: February 28, 2006 04:52
Oh, awelyn! I'm so sorry to hear you're so ill. Hope you don't have the honest to God flu, but it sure sounds like it. Chicken soup would be the best. Lots of fluid and what you're taking. It was such a pleasure to talk to you last weekend. Those symptoms don't sound good so crawling into bed is probably the best thing. Can someone take you to the doctor tomorrow? If it's really flu, you may need to be in the hospital and your family might get it too. :cry: Here's praying you'll get well soon.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2006 05:21
awelyn, I want to rush to your side, with a big bowl of chicken soup, some beverage of choice in a Mardi Gras cup, a fistful of tylenol and all the LOTR dvds and soundtracks. I'll send prayers for healing and comfort. Take care, dear. I am so sorry that you must fend for yourself.

Well..it's all over for another year...Mardi Gras, that is.(I surely wanted to crawl aboard that pirate ship float today and "hang out with the captain and crew). I've done it all and enjoyed every moment. And guess what? If it continued, this ole gal could continue right along. Cousin (my partner in crime) is leaving in the morning and I'm going back to school. Hope I can function in the everyday world!
Cousin and I broke the 50 lb. barrier for weight of beads caught since Friday night. Let me know if you'd like some. There's plenty to share.

Swabby's comments about the connection and kinship with the folk here at FoF are mine also. You all have become dear friends and I value what each of you bring to me. I am blessed by knowing you all. Thanks for sharing yourselves with me.:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

MT
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2006 02:13
awelyn, I'm so sorry you're feeling icky. Why is it that moms aren't allowed to be under the weather?? Take good care of yourself. *sending long distance hugs to you*

MT: I thought of you last night in all your Mardi Gras finery. I went to a concert that is part of a series that my mom and I attend each year. Last night was a Mardi Gras blast. Lots of 50+ with masks and beads. We were all given beads when we first entered and enjoyed lots of New Orleans jazz. I couldn't help smiling thinking about you whooping and hollering with the best of them in the Big Easy. Alas for life on the PoG.

A question sent to you all. I've been seeing screen shots of Aragorn in the Houses of Healing with Faramir. Is there something that I missed on the EE of RotK? I just loved the Houses of Healing extended scene that was put in to RotK. My Hobbit healer RP character would have loved to work in that House. But anyway, did I miss something there? If so, would someone direct me to where that part is, or is it just a screen shot and nothing more?

callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2006 02:16
G'morning everyone!
I must say as the new one here, I really envy the closeness you all seem to have. To be all spread out geographically and yet be so close. Of course, we all do share one great love, dont we?
Awelyn, I really hope you feel better soon. The flu can really take it all out of you for weeks! I agree with the others. To bed for you, and with chicken soup, a nice hot cup of tea, and your LOTR dvd's and cd's. Bundle up and get plenty of rest.
MTMS, mardi gras sounds so much fun. Sounds like you had a great time.
Speaking of events, I posted on the meeting section about the Tolkien society party in May. It will be in the Cotswalds for any of you in this area. For sale will be some of Ted Nasmiths original prints as well as other things, and there will be a tour of Tolkien places and a party!
Namaria!
awelyn418
Send Message
on: March 01, 2006 03:40
Hi Calle, It is good to read your post. I wish I could go to the Tolkien party. Well, you have fun and tell us about the happening.

Thank s for the good wishes and good advice. I feel better but I am still not going to work I am going to head for the doctor. I am still coughing and I am weak and feel lousy.Thank you for the cards and making me feel loved

MTMS I did not know that St.Louis Mo. celebrated Mardi Gras until this week . I think they just have 2 days of celebration. It is something to consider for next year if I can't be with you

Our weather is crazy. It is suppose to be 73 today but a possibility of snow Sunday. I am ready for spring.

I have to go and call work and take a sick day.

Have a good day.
:heart: Awelyn
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2006 03:55
awelyn! SO sorry that you're not feeling well. My remedy is 50mg of Zinc every 4 hours. That boosts the immune system and lets you fight off the nasties. I managed to avoid getting the cold that dogged me 2 weeks ago, using Zinc. The symptoms were barely noticeable as long as I kept to the routine of every 4-5 hours.

Oh, and awelyn., there's a truck load of sympathy backing up to your door from the FoF gang. Ummm, where would you like them to deliver it?

Had a boost to my system by watching some of the ROTK appendices yesterday. It was about the filming of the movie and a lot about the final scenes and tearful goodbyes. It reminds me what a unique experience this has been. I think that a lot of us feel as if we know the actors and crew like a little commmunity. Indeed, many communities, such as ours, have been formed as a result of this monumental endeavour. Wow - it juts warms my heart.:love:

Oh and congrats to the grandma's -in-waiting. What a wonderful time in your lives! None of my boys are propelling me in that direction (that I know of), but my dear friends says it's awesome to be a grandmother. Enjoy!

OK, off to work. Still quite cold here. Using wood in our boiler a lot (so as to avoid oil bills of $600 per month!!!!!). Yikes! Love the smell of wood smoke and stoking the fire isn't hard to do. Sure get our exercise running up and down the basement steps.

Namarie :wave:
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: March 01, 2006 06:30
Hope you'll get well soon, Awelyn. et: :hug: Take your time and rest properly; that is the best medicine for the flu or a bad cold, after all.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2006 06:31
Neenime is right about the sympathy, Awelyn. As kind, caring and loving as you are, you certainly deserve A good measure of it returned to you. I do hope, though, that you don't end up with no one to bring you tylenol, juice and soup, etc. I would do that for you if I could.

There is no doubt, Calle, that A common love of Tolkien is the one thing that has brought us together here, but some of us have gone beyond that and have found other things to like about one another, I think.
I came from A family that only ever expressed their anger and never their love. I never once heard either one of my parents tell someone "I love you", which I now find both sad and incredible. I have had much mending to do to myself, and I'm sure that is why I now take such pleasure in being "friends" with those of you who will let me. Perhaps it is one of those things that comes with being A Tolkien-lover, but there are A lot of very personable, caring and love-filled people here at FoF who don't mind sharing it. It's A great place for me "let out" that which I was wrongly taught to "hold in".

Neenime, I love to watch those extra dvd's or "appendices". I think I've watched all six of them, and I try to tell those who watch the movies that they should watch those also, so they can gain A greater appreciation for what the movie-makers did.

Scots, about all I can recall right now is A very few scenes of Aragorn squeezing water from A cloth and putting it on someone's head. I thought PJ should have devoted more scenes to that chapter. As it is, it's not clear at all to someone who hasn't read the books that the king has healing powers.
Happy Wednesday, my good friends. Swabby
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2006 07:20
EE scenes in Houses of Healing YEs, Swabby, you're right. There is a bit like that. I haven't seen that EE since before Christmas, so it's fuzzy in my mind. That's a good reason to watch it again, and listen to hubby groan about what a fanatic I am. That's OK, we can tease each other about our respective "vices".

Healing about love. It hurts me to think about what people sometimes do to each other. ANd it's all so needless. Hurting each other never makes things better. It also amazes me how many kind and wonderful people have had a hard and painful start in life. What made them decide NOT to spread that pain to others, while other people keep on perpetuating the hurt? There's what a separates the "sheep" from the "goats" in my mind.

I wonder how it happened that we ended up with such a great collection of folks here. I have posted on other LOTR BBs and found many lovely folks, but also a few blowhards , show-offs and even a few out-and-out jerks. Narry a one to be found here. Maybe it's just one of those happy accidents that occur in life. Some people call it Grace.:heart: I'll bet the the Professor would have!
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2006 09:23
Hi everyone

Get well soon Awelyn I bet if you had a Ranger beside your bedside you would feel better quick style! Every FOF home should have one.

Swabby and others you are right about our friends here, you are all a great bunch of people and it is so therapeutic to be able to come here and know that you will always get support and love.

Today on what is probably supposed to be the first day of spring we had snow! Some days in February on the other hand were quite mild. The weather here is weird! Here is a nice Scottish expression for you all.

Ne'er cast a cloot till May be oot!

A translation will follow in a later post enjoy working it out if you can.

Love to you all

HT:heart:
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: March 01, 2006 02:00
How about "Never throw dirt clod until May is over!" Meaning, I suppose that it's more likely to be mud than dirt. LOL... Hehehehe...

Folks, believe me, we've had our share of Trolls (who acted very much like Orcs and Trolls of the Tolkien ilk). :angry: However, Rivka and all the other admins and mods strive to keep them either under control or direct them to go somewhere else.

I love this site and hope we can keep going and going and going... Rather like the Eveready Bunny. :love:

Here in sunny Southern California, it rained steadily all day yesterday. However, we're back to sunshine again today and it's supposed to stay that way for the next couple of days. However, of course, it's supposed to rain again on the weekend. Tsk... Ah well...

Hugs to all my FoF friends. :hug:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2006 04:22
Yes, I've returned to school with a smile on my face. I rather enjoyed the day, as with a short week, I had more freedom to plan my activities. We did alot of hands-on lessons and art projects (March is youth art month) and the kids did very well.
scots, awelyn and any others who are interested in seeing Mardi Gras with a "pro" (me!), let me know. It would be fantastic to have any/all of you FoF's to Mardi Party with. :disco: I believe the date for next year is Feb. 20, a Tuesday,though I begin parading the Friday before.

I agree with you neenime about grace. I thank God for you wonderful folk every day.

Now where is my household Ranger, HT??? I thought of you yesterday at the parade in Orange Beach. There was a pirate ship float, loaded with handsome, scruffy pirate caprains that looked like Johnny Dep.:love: I would've climbed aboard, except the float was moving too fast. Bet HT could give me a boost and then I could lower the rope ladder and we could join the crew. :cheers: There was a "handler" walking alongside the pirate ship that reminded me of swabby. I asked if he was swabby and he said "I am if you want me to be."

Hope you feel better, awelyn. Love to all my other FoF friends...which is all of you!:heart::heart::heart:

MT
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2006 02:39
:wave: Yooooo!! Hooooo!, Rose. Where are you??

:wave:Yooooo!! Hooooo!, Old Tom. Where are you??

:wave:Yooooo!! Hooooo!, Brandywine. Where are you??

:wave:Yooooo!! Hooooo!, Anyone Else that I may have missed. Where are you??

A serious illness has swept through our school as of late affecting just about everyone. The oddest thing is that the adult staff seems most grievously afflicted this go-round. I believe that it's call "spring fever." I know that yesterday I suffered greatly from it. It was over 70 degrees Fahrenheit (21 degrees Celsius) here yesterday. There was a stiff wind all day, but that didn't matter at all. Well, maybe it mattered to the networking guy that was crawling around on our roof stringing things hither and yon, but temperature wise, it was still gorgeous. I was so distracted all day. Poor kids, I don't think that they had a quality education yesterday. Of course, they were just as distracted as I. Maybe that evens out in the long run. Now today it's supposed to be 25 degrees cooler with even more wind. *sigh* I really shouldn't complain...we haven't had anywhere near winter weather here on the PoG for most of the winter. It makes me wonder if we won't get hammered here this month.

I asked if he was swabby and he said "I am if you want me to be."

ROFL That's priceless! Isn't that what every scruffily handsome personage of the male persuasion (and there are so many of them) should say to a sword-wielding dedicated FoF woman? Hey, works for me! :naughty:

Well, must go prepare myself for the day with the orklings. I must say though, we are working on research report writing in reading and English classes, and every one of them are *so* excited. I must have done something right in the prep work this time around. Stranger things have happened. lol

Take good care all. Awelyn, hope the buggies have been fought off sufficiently enough that you are feeling better.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2006 03:22
I second Scots call for our missing members to come back! And how about Awelyn? Is she still sick? Rose has my permission to stick my head on A wart hog if she'll just come back and write some of her very entertaining posts.

I don't think that guy at MT's Mardis Gras was A real "Swabby". A real one like me would have snatched up the lovely shieldmaiden and taken her back to his "love-locker". I know how it is when you've been out to sea too long, and there's only two things on your mind when you get off that ship----cold beer and hot women! That guy was an impostor!

We set A new record high temperature yesterday with 86 degrees. People need to get serious about global warming before it's too late.

I am so happy that Belle and Neenime said we have A good group here, free of trolls, buttinskies and weeny-mugs. Mrs Swabby has long accused me of being all of those and more, so I'm quite relieved. Happy Thursday all you well-seasoned folks.

[Edited on 2/3/2006 by swabby]
awelyn418
Send Message
on: March 02, 2006 03:37
First MTMS yes I want some beads. My granddaughters would adore them and maybe four cups for the boys. We need to work out details like shipping price and you should have my address.

Scots, I feel like crap if I can't use that word here I apologize before hand. I could not get into my doctor yesterday so they are working me in today. It seems like our town has a little epidemic well not that bad. My fever has stayed down for 12 hours but the coughing is driving me crazy. I cough and cough every 5 minutes or so and my throat and abdomen are killing me they are so sore and I am so weak.
I am also with you Scots, where are OTB and Rose and Brandywine. Remember OTB was having trouble with his neck and pain up to his jaw. I miss them and BTW hello Ht

I would rather have a healing Elf instead of a ranger right now Ht.
Belle I agree with you I think it is never throw a dirt clod until march is out

I also agree with you about our bond with friends here. Swabby ..When my family was not coming through for me I thought of my friends from FOF and how they would care for me if they lived close By the way my husband went to work but my daughter did take care of me bringing me soup and clear liquids. You are the best FOF.

I am going to go drink coffee and eat oatmeal. I have a friend that is a nurse and if things get to serious she would be by my side in a split second.

Hugs back to you Belle :hug:
Do any of you remember a movie that had a line Come back little Sheba? That is how I feel about our members not being here and Nenya Gold too.
Have a good day.
:heart:
<< First1112131415Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email