Register

<< First1213141516Last >>
Author Topic:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part V
on: March 02, 2006 03:40
Happy Thursday all you well-seasoned folks.

Well, I am seasoned with Rosemary and Garlic. What about the rest of you?

MT that guy sounds like a real card! But he wouldn't have been a good substitute for the real swabby, who is clearly one of a kind.

Spring Fever? I only wish. We still have lots of snow and it's been cold but starting to warm up., Not a crocus in sight, although my neighbour claims to have seen a robin 2-3 weeks ago. Must have been a very misdirected robin 'cuz it's w-a-a-aa-y too early to be hanging around these parts. We won't see the snow all gone until April at the eariest and have been known to have one more good snowstorm in mid-April. Ahh, but we can dream, can't we.

Have a great day everyone. I wish you a warm fire, a mug of cider and the smell of fesh-baked bread.......... (Hmm, sounds like a Hobbit-type blessing).
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2006 09:31
Hi everyone

MT I like the sound of your pirates! Yo ho ho and all that. As to having a certain scruffy type man in your house - Home on the Ranger?

The Scottish expression refers to the fact that you should not get out of your winter clothes until June "Ne-er cast a cloot" never cast a cloth (clothes) till the month of May is out. Since I have frequently seem it snow in April and even in May it is not such a silly idea.

Hope everyone who is not well gets better soon and has whatever elf, man hobbit or dwarf to keep them company. For Swabby and Old Tom of course river daughters and shield maidens would be required.

Take car

Love and Hugs

HT:heart:
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: March 02, 2006 11:37
Heh... A bit off there I was, at least about the subject. Yep, bit it is more than a bit chilly until May (and from such a warm place as I'm from it's probably chilly all year long to me). Makes sense to me, too, HT. Bundle up to keep the cold away.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: March 02, 2006 12:42
Hello everybody,
I went to the doctor and I have flu and a sinus infection. I also have another hernia and will have to have surgery eventually. I also have to start having physical therapy for a rotor cuff problem.. Ahhh, I am falling apart I am feeling better but the doctor won't let me go to work until Monday.

I have Spring fever. I can't wait to plant things. Interesting saying I knew I would get it wrong.
Hugs and kisses to all
Awelyn:heart:
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: March 02, 2006 01:05
I had a feeling with those symptoms you had the flu! Eeekk! You're lucky not to be hospitalized. Yeah... Other than the physical issues, I don't mind growing older, but all those aches and pains and stuff...>.< Not my idea of fun. Just baby yourself for a few more day, hon. Lots of :hug: and chicken soup sent your way.
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2006 01:21
Awelyn, sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. Imagine the healing hands of a King (our favorite ranger one) caring for you and healing you. Don't we all wish we had someone to care for us as we care for and tend to others when they are not feeling well. Meanwhile, will keep you in prayer and sending healing thoughts and blessings your way.

MT, would have love a Mardi Gras call, sorry to have not read your post in time. Sounds like you had a fantastic time and so much fun. Indeed, I would not be shy about participating and like the idea of it being family oriented rather than the riske version I've heard about. Kind of being right on the edge of acceptable behavior as not to be stuffy but still fun. Together we would certain test that theory to the max!

Has been a busy couple days. Tuesday drove to see a long-time friend who is only about an hour from where we are staying. Trying to explain to her about why I love LOTR and how remarkable and inspiring the movies are. (Yes, she has never seen the movies or read the books.) Had a wondeful visit that went way too fast.

Yesterday was one that I'm happy to have over. Drove back home to Ohio to get plates for the new car. Was a bit of a hassle which I won't bore you with the details but got the plates. Had placed an ad for my other vehicle and was getting calls off and on all day. Got lost coming back to PA, was tired and somehow missed my exit on the Turnpike. Meanwhile there was someone scheduled to look at the vehicle I was selling and this was going to make me late. Luckily when I called them the guy knew the area well and gave me directions to get back from where I had ended up. He was waiting here when I arrived and ended up paying cash for the vehicle. So it ended well but was rather exhausted and slept for 12 hours straight last night!

Pirates, how cool. Something alluring about the "bad guy" image, isn't there? Not saying you are one at all, Swabby, but the name Swabbby does bring pirate to mind. You are indeed, as Neenime said, one of a kind. :heart: Hope you made Electron and all his evil followers walk the plank.

The weather has been crazy here also. Was supposed to warm up but ended up freezing rain this morning then drizzle and supposed to snow tonight. Spring is near but doesn't feel like it today.

Hello :wave: to everyone, enjoy reading all your posts, even when no time to respond to them all. We do have a unique and wonderful group of Tolkien fans here and I feel so close to you all. Indeed, we are a family of sorts. Take care, all my friends and stay warm and healthy and happy! :hug: :love:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2006 03:37
I have the cure for you awelyn-Mardi Gras beads and cups! I'll send some your way as soon as I find my boxes at school in which to send them.

I'm not wishing any sickness to come to you neenime, but I hope that Spring Fever soon comes your way.

I have Spring break in about 14 days. Actually, I'm out of school 2 days sooner as I have some minor surgery scheduled immediately before spring break for maximum recovery time. Dr. told me that I could be up and around after 3 days. Hmm..may find myself meandering along the sandy shores of my favorite beach. When is your break, scots??

APB out for our missing friends : Rose, OTB and Brandywine. Hope that you folk are having so much fun you don't have time to stop in. When things calm down, come back...we miss you!!

A great big thanks to you Belle and all the mods for keeping the trolls and buttinskies away. You are part of what makes this place so fantastic!!

"Home on the Ranger", HT?? Sounds like my kind of place.:evil:

Glad that your "old" car sold so quickly and easily Mith . You must be some kind of salesperson. I agree that if the two of us got together there's no telling what kind of mischief may occur.:evil: :disco: :cheers: :rolling:

As I have learned, there is no other swabby out in the world but our own. He is one of a kind. Others may want to be like him, but he is the upmost in swabdom. (MT bows )

[Edited on 3/3/2006 by BelleBayard]
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2006 05:28
Hi everyone.

Nice to see all the FoF people here. I agree that some are MIA but they will return soon.

I agree with the people that say this is a nice site to visit. We definitely have gotten to know one another quite well. I also agree that we can say anything here and help each other if we have problems. I for one have had some nice comments on problems I have had in the past.

The weather here has been crappy. It snowed all day yesterday and this morning. We got at least 8 inches of snow. It has made the roads just horrible. Some people couldn't come to work because of road conditions.

As for the scene in ROTK: It is Aragorn that is wetting the cloth to put on Eowyn's forehead with Eomer looking on. Then it goes to the scene where she wakes up and looks out her window and spots Faramir in his courtyard. I agree that the Houses of Healing should have been longer.

Well, I off to read a good book, Trojan Odyssey by Clive Cussler. Part of the Dirk Pitt series.

namarié
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2006 02:28
When is your break, Scots?

Alas for me, my spring break only lasts all of two days. We don't have school on Good Friday or the Monday after Easter. That would be it in a nutshell. But on the bright side, the latest that we'll be getting out is May 12th. As we haven't used any snow days this year...now why do I keep whining about how cold it is? It isn't really...we'll take days off at the end of the school year, so it may be even earlier than that. Keep your fingers crossed.

I was at a workshop last night and worked on my web page. Now before you get all impressed with my formidable computer skills, the server is manned by our ESU, and it's basically a point and click kind of thing. Even I can handle that. But even so, I was quite impressed with my outcome. If you're interested, you can visit it here . It's a work in progress please remember, but it's shaping up. Of course, it they close us down, what *would* be the point??? :cry: The Supreme Court of the PoG -- we hear through the rumor mill -- is supposed to rule on it today. We'll see.

Well, must go and earn my keep. Have a good day all.

Namárië
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2006 02:44
I hope you are well on the road to recovery, Awelyn, and that you'll be back to full health very soon. I'm sorry you have had these medical problems.

Now who was it that came up with "Home on the Ranger"? Was that the very clever HT? The dadgum thingy won't let me go back far enough. Anyway, I like that.

"Home, home on the Ranger,
where the hair is as scratchy as A manger."

Thank you sweet girls for saying this "Swabby" is real and all that. I will say that I am "real" allright. Whatever it is that I happen to be, I am real. I joke around A lot, but I would never be dishonest about anything serious or pretend to be something that I'm not. I really was A sailor who sometimes acted like A pirate, in that I was often rowdy, drunk, A little wild in general and spent A lot of time searching for booty. (double meaning) Those were the old days, however, and I've now hung up me eye-patch and had the parrot stuffed.

Ata-girl Mith! I would never in A million years allow Mrs Swabby to handle the selling of A car. You are an exceptional lady, but I think we already knew that.

Those of you who are tired of your cold weather are welcome to come down here to Arkansas and enjoy this early, warm Spring we're having. The flowers and buds are popping out everywhere! Before long I'll be out there trying to revive my old lawnmowers, blowing as hard as I can down thier carburators while compressing their throttles. Then again, maybe I'll try to get someone else to mow this year. At 58 (tomorrow) and A bad ticker, I probably need to hang my weed whacker up there with the eye patch. At least I've still got my boyish-------? well, I must have something that isn't ready for the scrap heap. Happy Friday, my tasty friends!

[Edited on 3/3/2006 by swabby]
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: March 03, 2006 03:22
scots, that's a wonderful web page. I wish the high school my son goes to had pages like that for all the teachers. It makes them more real to the parents, who if they both work, often don't get to meet those who spend more time with their kids then they do. You don't get a spring break?! Egads! PoG is right! et:

swabby, as usual, you crack me up with that version of "Home on the Range." I know a fair number of ol' pirates (myself included, even given the gender) and most of them are decent folk with great senses of humor. Sure, you run across the curmudgeon or two, but for the most part, they're good people. I'm glad you like LoTR and are "different" than the bulk of the male species in some things. That's what spices life up!
awelyn418
Send Message
on: March 03, 2006 03:42
Scots I loved the web page and your picture. What a smile.

MTMS, the beads might help. Thank you all for your love and kindness.

My operation will be a big deal. It will be my 6th. My doctor yesterday could not believe they did not use mess.the last time. For the rest of my life I can not work out with weights. I love working out with weights. I have to get alot of weight of before the surgery. Walking and riding a bike will have to do. Flu wise I am doing better that medicine is great.

It is going to be a beautiful day here today. Sun is shining and we have a blue sky with white clouds. My bassets and the new dog just love it.
I need to go eat something and take my medicine. Have a great Friday. :angry: My family has left me with trash to take out on Trash day.
:heart:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2006 05:57
Awelyn sorry that you have to have surgery again. Sure hope they get it right this time. What a pain about the weights. I hope that the weather stays nice so that you can enjoy the outdoor activities often.

scots Nice web page. Cute colours and a very sweet, warm photo of you. I'll bet you'll be a Whiz with the webpage editor. They're making them more and more easy. I know that I enjoyed having a web page a few years ago. Had a major LOTR page, of course - links, quotes, brilliant analysis of the film (ahem, :blush: well, I liked it) Wouldn't it be cool if you could load some of those neat animated thingies that Rose uses?

Just a thought - those of you in teaching and related areas - do you ever get the feeling that we are expected to be entertainers these days? That people aren't interested in knowledge or info for its own sake? We have to be cute and funny and "sell" it to them or they won't bother.

I am NOT in favour of stodgy, sterile learning and I really believe in experiential learning, but sometimes I feel like an advertizing hack. OK -rant is over, I feel better now.

Back to the Mines of Moria.

Hi-ho, hi-ho it's off with Dwarves I go...........
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2006 09:32
Hi

Awelyn

Sorry to hear you are so much in the wars If it were in my power I would send a nice elf or two your way to kiss your fevered brow and help you feel better. I am sure you can get and keep fit without using weights.

Swabby like your take on my 'Home on the Ranger'

Could it get any stranger?

No Danger!

We had snow again today isn't spring wonderful?

Love and Hugs

Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: March 03, 2006 10:11
Awelyn, your illness sounds very much like the one I had last autumn, except that I didn't have any fever. I was totally exhausted, and coughed my lungs off. Hope you'll get well soon - especially if you must go through another surgery. Hope that it will go smoothly. et:

We're still having full winter here, except that the days are clearly getting longer. And, snow is better than slosh, anyway.

Have a nice Friday, everybody, with dreams of Rangers / Elves / Hobbits / Shieldmaidens, or whatever you find attractive... :love:
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2006 11:37
*sneaks in*

Hi everyone. Sorry for my absence, just a little devoid of conversation.

Awelyn, I hope your surgery goes well and that you are also feeling better with your poorliness.

Is everybody else ok. It's freezing cold here in Manchester and we have had a smattering of snow. Not enough to build a snow hobbit, let alone snow man.

Work has been manic and I have just been feeling tired. :yawn:

Rangers and Pirates. :love: Interesting subject, enough to lift one of my eyelids. Lol!!

Swabby, my friend. A wart hog!!! Never!! How's this......

*protects head .... * *giggles*

Huggles to you all.

Rose xxxx *sneaks out again*
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2006 11:58
I love it!!!! Let's hear it for Rose! Feast yer eyes on A REAL Swabby(with parrot) in all his glory!
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2006 01:07
Happy Friday to all!

OMG, Rose, that pic of Swabby Parrot is so funny. And yet within our boundaries here on FOF. You do have a creative talent there.

Awelyn, sorry to hear you need surgery. Hope it all goes well and also that you are feeling better. Can tell you still do stuff even when under the weather, like taking trash out. When you get stuck with things like that, remember we all love you here.

Scots, that was a nice web page. It is a lot of work doing those but a good idea for your students and parents to be able to know a bit about you.

Tomorrow we're taking hubby's mom for breakfast then going to my parents. They are only about an hour from where we are staying. So will be a busy day for sure but enjoy spending time with them.

Have a great weekend everyone. :cheers: :hug: :love:

scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2006 04:51
The Supreme Court ruled early this morning here on the PoG. Our small schools will officially be dissolved June 15th. Now it's on to what it all means for those of us involved. You can see one of the local news station's newscast about it [url=http://www.kolnkgin.com/home/headlines/2404791.html
]here[/url] if you're interested. I'm not really sure how I feel about the whole thing to tell you the truth. On the one hand, I'm really disgusted that the State is coming in and dictating what goes on at the local level. That *really* irks me. But on the other hand, I'm in for a monster raise in pay and after all my years of teaching, I finally get health insurance. That and I would only have to teach one grade instead of five. The closer I get to retirement the more important that becomes. I am conflicted to say the least. :twitch: :banghead:

:yawn: It's time for me to turn into a pumpkin and head to bed. I love Saturday mornings. I can sleep in! Yay!
awelyn418
Send Message
on: March 04, 2006 02:56
Scots, I am so sorry but it sounds like you have weighed the positive and negative and you have many positive things to look forward to because of this situation. The quality of teaching remains in your hands and it does not matter if it is a two room school or a class room . You will still produce quality.

Rose that picture of Swabby is a hoot. I love it. I am glad you are back I have missed you.

Mith , you go girl! Sold your car and bless your heart what a drive.
Have a good breakfast with your mother-in-law.

Hi, Morwin. It is so hard for me to imagine snow or winter weather for that matter it is so springlike here.
I am feeling better as far as the flu goes but my sinus is driving me crazy. My nostrils were both clogged up last night and I slept with my mouth open. Oh well that will pass too.

Everyone have a great day.
Awelyn:heart:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2006 03:34
What a predicament scots! I'd hate to loose the small school "feel", but higher pay and insurance are very good things. I know that you will make the most out of this situation and see new and exciting things ahead for you.
Love the web page! I have one, but it's dated. I don't have the time to update as I should. I vow to work on it this summer and have things on it that are "timeless."

You sound as if you're feelling a bit better, awelyn. When is your surgery scheduled? I have some outpatient surgery scheduled on St. Patrick's Day (want to wear my leprechaun hat). What a way to celebrate!

Yes, I am an entertainer/teacher neenime. I don't "get into it" as much as others do. When we study a topic that has alot of interest for me, I do "crank it up a bit." Yesterday I heard my kids at play talking of castles built in the 1100's and about good knights and bad knights and whacking each other with make-believe swords.

Rose, I see that you captured swabby before he hung up his eye patch. Great pic!! You've got the touch, girl!!

How wonderful to spend time with family, Mith. I believe that family relationships need "tending" to be the best they can be. You seem to be a great "tender".

Wish I could send some of my weather your way, Morwin or have you come here. Temps are in the lower 70's with bright blue skies. Going to a renaissance festival today and I'm so grateful for the lovely weather. I'll be thinking of you all as I watch the jousters and the SCA (Society for Creative Anacronysm) whack each other with swords. Going to be a great day!!

Hope your day is great swabby!!! If I were a decent cook, I'd bake you a cake. But I will shout a loud Huzzah in your honor at the ren fest today.

MT

callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2006 06:54
Hiya guys!
Awelyn, glad you're feeling better. sorry to hear you'll be having surgery. Its always scary. Just remember you'll have lots of people thinking about you and wishing you a speedy recovery.
Rose, I think you sent your Manchester snow down to Cheshire. We were covered in it this morning. Its still not melted as its so cold again. I loved the pirate pic of Swabby too. so funny.
Swabby...Happy birthday!! Hope you have a wonderful day. May the blessing of the Valar be with you.
Scots, thats a nice job you did on the web page. Great photo too. Teachers never get enough recognition. My cuz is a teacher at a six form here and her students love it when she quotes Tolkien. Do you find yourself doing that?
Do any of you find yourself doing that? Just little phrases pop out of my mouth from time to time from LOTR. My kids are getting used to it. They just ignore it now.
Well, have a great weekend all of you.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2006 08:08
My cuz is a teacher at a six form here and her students love it when she quotes Tolkien. Do you find yourself doing that?

What is a "six"? Your system of education in England is different than here. And Tolkien reigns within my classroom as well. I have a Tolkien calendar, a Frodo screensaver on my school laptop, a Frodo Lives! screen saver on my personal laptop, and I do quote Tolkien a lot. My girls go *eeuuwww He's so OLD!* when I mention how fine our ranger is. They just don't realize how much better they get when they get some age to them. :naughty: Kind of like a fine aged wine, right, Swabby? I don't have nearly the Tolkien stuff up that I would like to have as I don't have much wall space. Chalkboards, bookshelves, and windows take up most of my space. If I get pulled into the bigger school next year, maybe I'll have more space to do that. That and I'd like to get some more of my Harry Potter items up as well. Hope springs eternal.
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2006 09:35
Hi everyone

Happy Birthday Swabby! this little poem is for you and all of us girls

I wrote it quite quickly so I hope it reads OK.

Swabby and The Shield Maidens

Some female fans all over 40
Went on a little virtual tour
They’d ventured out of their front doors
And found themselves in a strange country

An Inn they found a little place
And sat and chatted about Rangers
When one observed a pleasant face
Belonging to a bearded stranger

“Who is that man” they asked their host
“That man with drawing as a hobby?”
“His real name I don’t rightly know
But around here he’s known as Swabby”

They asked the man to join their cause
And overwhelmed by the suggestion
He answered not a single word
So one of them addressed his bird
“Swabby’s parrot! The same question”

“Taters!” The parrot squawked aloud
Their host said “Just a guess
We’re not entirely sure of course
But we think that means yes”

So they all set out again
Adventuring once more
It’s quite a business” Bilbo said
To step out your front door!”

Love and Hugs

awelyn418
Send Message
on: March 04, 2006 10:18
Happy Birthday Swabby!

Ht What a great poem. It was wonderful.

Calle I am feeling so much better. My operation I am going to put off till this summer or at least until May. I have to go see a specialist so I will know more after that appointment.

We are getting rain and gloomy weather today.

I am going to try and clean house while I watch Fiddler on the Roof.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2006 11:42
Thanks, double and triple thanks to you all for thinking of me today. I can't over-emphasize how much your birthday wishes mean to me. If not for you, my FoF friends, A phone call from my two oldest sons and A package of pictures of my grandaughter that I received from my ex-wife, I'm afraid this would have been like any other Saturday. You're A very special group of people, and I really mean that. Love and bear hugs for all, :heart:Swabby

Update----A few hours later, (after I expressed some discontent) some one made me A cake and my son handed me what looked like A very hastily-made birthday card with A picture of Gandalf on it. I guess A little guilt can be A good thing.

[Edited on 5/3/2006 by swabby]
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: March 04, 2006 07:34
Oh my! So sorry to have missed this! Happy Birthday, swabby, even if it is almost belated. Heh... Hope you had a good day.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2006 02:56
Did you hear me shout "Huzzah" in your honor, swabby? My throat is a little scratchy from cheering on the jousters. Guess it helped, because Sir Shane made Sir Michael taste dirt TWICE. Poor Sir Michael bit his tongue and had the heel knocked off his shoe! Now that's what I love about full contact jousting!! All in your honor swabby !:heart:

I imagined the FoF folk mingled amongst the ren fest crowd. There was swabby in the beautiful art tent, selling his drawings. Neenime and Belle were in the healing tent, tending to awelyn and others. Mith, HT, and Rose were in the Arabia tent area doing a little "veil dance". Working in the Swords and More booth were Sindy, scots and balrog. Roaming around the grounds, Old Tom was reciting verses that we know and love. Morwin and brandywine were selling roses for the knights to offer their fair ladies. Now who was that leading the camel at the camel rides?

MT

[Edited on 3/5/2006 by BelleBayard]
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2006 05:17

Belated wishes swabby, I must have missed where you said when your birthday was. :blush:

HT: I absolutely loved your poem. :love:

Glad you are feeling better awelyn.

MT: The images of us at the jousting were wonderful. Lol!! And I can't imagine who would be leading the camel.

Have a good Sunday everyone. :love:

Rose xxx

swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2006 05:58
As MT revealed in her vision of us Fof members running some future ren faire, there would be plenty of talent and knowledge to go around. I think we could move to an island in some uncharted sea and do very well for ourselves, provided the necessary natural resources were available.

I loved your poem, HT, and it is an extreme honour for you to give me such A central role in it. Any time you wish to send me on A literary adventure, I am quite ready. I will eagerly play whatever role you wish, whether that be sailor, pirate, ship's cook or gynecologist.

Neenime made A little joke about my "well-seasoned" remark the other day, saying that she had garlic and rosemary, which are two of my favorite spices. Of course I meant that y'all were like "fine wine". I could use "fine aged cheese" for my analogy, but it somehow doesn't seem as complimentary. "My dearest Neenime, you are like A fine aged cheddar, and Scots, you are A delicious provolone". I, of course, would be something smelly and shocking to the taste buds like Limburger. I sometimes use the automobile to describe myself, saying that I'm really A corvette, but with five of my spark plug wires pulled off.

Sorry, MT, I didn't hear your "huzzah", but I did feel A ripple in the force when Sir Michael bit his tongue. It's my bad hearing, ya know. Too many jet engines in the Navy and listening to Zep with the volume set on eleven.

Happy Sunday, all you fellow Tolkein-nuts! Swabby
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2006 06:20
Arrrrrr! Shiver me timbers, me hearties, and felicitations on yer birthday, Cap'n Jock McSwabby!

(Love the image, Rosie, and the huggin' bears are very cute. )

I'm sorry to hear of your physical ailments, awelyn, but I'm glad your bout with the flu is improving.

I'm sorry about your school closing, Scots, but it sounds like that may be a blessing in disguise. Best of luck with that!

Well, I donned the bright blue coat, yellow boots, and all of my other merry garb to "audition" for the upcoming Middle Earth Festival in Vacaville, CA on April 21-23.

I'm not sure what all I'll be doing, other than roaming around to add "ambiance" to the street faire. I did meet a gentleman signing up to be a story teller. He's going to have a booth in the faire, and said he'd be happy to allow me to use a portion of his space to recite "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil". It should be a lot of fun!
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2006 07:21
Swabby, Happy Belated Birthday to you! Hope your day was special. Yet another shield maiden here nods her head and bows. :cheers: :love:

HT, your poem was fantastic. And what a marvelous birthday gift. Talent that was fun to read.

Scots, hope all works out for you in the school. Life has a way of changing and things never stay the same forever. May this be a pleasant and fruitful new journey for you.

Awelyn, glad you are feeling better. I sent the pm before I read the posts. Is your surgery scheduled?

How wonderful to spend time with family, Mith. I believe that family relationships need "tending" to be the best they can be. You seem to be a great "tender".

MT, wish I could be that more often. But sometimes I think living away from family has given me a greater appreciation for them. But if I could wave a magic wand would have grandkids both close. But we did have a great day with parents, some quality time.
awelyn418
Send Message
on: March 05, 2006 01:04
Rose don't be embarrassed Swabby did not post when his birthday was a little southern bird let it slip Rose I loved the hugging bears.

OTB, oh I would love to go to that and hear you and just enjoy the festival.. I am glad to see your post. I have not had fever for 2 days so I think I am on the mend.

Swabby I read garlic is very healthy for you too. I like rosemary also. I want to start experimenting more with spices. I have to lose weight and before the surgery. I have enrolled in something called walk to Rivendell. You are given a destination in ME to walk to and add the miles you actually walk to add up to the miles in your ME destination. I start tomorrow at the Shire.( my walk park)
Kiss and a hug for you all.
Awelyn
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2006 05:35
Hi all.

swabby: happy belated birthday. I just finished reading the posts and noticed it. Hope you day was grand.

scots56: Kind of hard to believe that your school is closing but on the other hand you will get a better paying job. Hope things go well. I also loved the site.

HT: Loved the poem. Makes you think of younger days.

Rose: Love the pic of swabby and the parrot. It was great.

If anyone wants snow they can have some of ours. We just got dumped on. We got 8 inches last Wed. and Thurs. and then Sun. and Mon. we got another 5 inches. That makes it a total of 13 inches within a week. (Calgon, take me away)

I hope everyone is feeling fine. awelyn: Hope your surgery goes well. I have you in my prayers, along with anyone else that needs a prayer.

OTB: Nice to see you again. Hope the festival goes well for you. I will be thinking of you doing your "The Adventures of Old Tom Bombadil."

Well I should go and do some work for work. Redoing a schedule for evening workers.

namarié
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2006 07:05
Watching the Oscars last night, it was good to see many of those same folks who made the LotR movies winning again for "King Kong". Lauren Bacall looked wobbly as she walked out and then had quite A bit of trouble reading her lines from the tele-prompter. I'm afraid old age has taken her. I loved the joke about Bjork. For those who might not have seen it, Jon Stewart said he was very sorry, but Bjork wasn't going to make it because just after putting on her evening dress, Cheney shot her. (That wierd swan dress she wore once, remember?) Swabby's heart went "pitter-patter rrrrrrr schpa-clunk ssssss" when Salma Hayek came out. I really wanted to reach into the TV and straighten out that strange asymetrical dress that had her jubblies all schmooshed to one side.

Well, I wish I could just hop into my little Honda and take A drive to Vacaville, but I'm afraid of what I'd find here when I got back. The two other members of my house might sleep the entire time, missing school and work, or else starve, or perhaps both.

Thanks again to those of you who made my birthday special. Now if something could be done about this 58 year-old body I woke up in this morning. It seems like it was only A few days ago that my eyes were blue and my cheeks were red, now my cheeks are blue and my eyes are red. I've got hair in places where I used to not have places. Some of the hair from my left eyebrow has migrated over to my ear, leaving me with A furry ear and one abbreviated eyebrow, and the hair that's left in that eyebrow has now curled the wrong way. I've tried that hair-pookey stuff and mustache wax and nothing works. It just sticks straight up. I'm thinking about shaving it off and drawing on A new one. It's frustrating because my right eyebrow still looks like it's 29, and that makes me think "Allright, what have you been into, righty, and why didn't you share it with lefty over there, huh?" You'd think there would be A warranty on those things! Swabby
<< First1213141516Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email