Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Post Fans over Forty ~ Part V
on: January 10, 2006 06:15
Whoa! I thought this might have been split again, but it's been going for over 800 posts this time. Heh...

That said, part 4 shall be locked and this shall become our FoF thread. Where are those of us who used to post? Join us and speak of how Tolkien and his worlds have affected you and yours.

Hugs to all the FoF.

NenyaGold wrote on 10/9/2005: Yet again our wonderful thread just reached 600 posts!!! Since it's so much to wade through to find the last one, so I've creating the FoF Part IV. You can read our prior posts in Fans over Forty ~ Part III, Fans over Forty ~ Part II and the FoF Original. In the meantime, I'll ask one of the mods to lock that thread.

Here is RangerNorlin's original post of 6-26-2003, and the premise for this thread, although we have deviated from it many times, but always seem to come back to our Love of All Things Tolkien.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tired of fans who think The Professor stole ideas from Harry Potter? Let's talk about a lifetime love of the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, aka The Professor - how has it shaped and changed your life over the years?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's to the Fans over Forty and another thread of more than 600 posts!!!

~ ~ ~

I'd like to welcome all of the new FoF'rs and say hi to all of the not so new FoF'rs. I might not have much to say, but I'm keeping up with all of the posts! It is always so nice to know we're not alone. *warm hugs*

[Edited on 1/10/2006 by BelleBayard]
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part V
on: January 10, 2006 07:02
Let's hear it for Belle, that lover of Elves!
on all of our posts her eyes do dwell
may never her orbs go crossed or swell
nor scold ol' Swabby when his lyrics smell!:love:

[Edited on 10/1/2006 by swabby]
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: January 10, 2006 07:15
Hehehehe... So funny, swabby! Nah, I would never scold you.

From the resident PEF!
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2006 08:03
:wave: Fourth to post on our fifth thread. . I was wondering if a new thread would be started. I kept looking at the numbers of posts increasing and wondering....should I?....should I?

Nice one, Belle.

Swabby, dear: Your lyrics never *smell*. Lol!! They might wrinkle the nose a little, but *only* in laughter, my friend. :love: :hug:

Here's to our wonderful fellowship moving ever on. :love:

Hugs and keep well.

Rose xxx
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: January 10, 2006 09:01
Hey, a shiny new thread! :cheers: Did we already post so much in the previous one?

And, what would be a better way to open this one but swabby's poetry!

Fortunately, today was an approximately normal day both at work and at home. And now, sauna is waiting...

Hugs to all the FoF:s! :hug:
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: January 10, 2006 12:13
Well Swabby, I am attracted to Elves also. Legolas or Elrond or Haldir any Elf with pointed ears will do but I think I prefer a blonde one. I also was attracted to Mr. Spock it must be the ears. I also like long hair on a guy or some guys anyway. I would not like long hair on my husband.

Morwin,I am glad you had a better day. You said sauna is the wet steam or dry hsteam heat? Sometimes sauna are refered to here if it is the one with water you sit in.

Yeah a new thread :cheers: I to send a toast to all my FOF friends. Nenya look at us where ever you are and smile. A poem to celebrate.

There was a poet named Swabby
Drawing was also his hobby
His sailor stories could curl your hair
But in FOF he was loved for being witty and fair
My hats off to him and Old Tom too
Posting with the other women here I could never be blue
So I am so proud of our new thread and my friends here
I lift up a cup to all and give a cheer.

Awelyn 418
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2006 12:23
No matter how my day has been, you folks always bring a smile to my face.

Nice rhymes swabby and awelyn. Wish I was as witty. Sometimes I think that working with young children has made me loose IQ points.

Here's to the new thread and many more posts to share among this fine fellowship of FoF.
:cheers: :disco:

MT
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2006 01:27
What A great bunch of gals! Seriously, you're much too nice. And Awelyn, you clever lady! Who knew you were A poet too?

Here's A hot tip about A new artist who sings some very ME sounding music. This very young little Kiwi songbird is A little bit like Enya, but different. You can hear A fantastic album called "Odyssey" by her at A site called "Music Galore" for free. They've got her listed under "H" for Hayley.(Her name is Hayley Westenra) Her version of "May it be" gave me the sniffles, as did "Ave Maria". Try it, you'll like it. Swabby

[Edited on 10/1/2006 by swabby]
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2006 03:11
Thanks for all the support and like MT said, putting a smile on my face. Ummm, raspberry Rangers, tasty for sure! Anyhow, I have "slipped" a couple times but taking your advice, Awelyn, and not giving up quitting. They say it takes a while to learn to smoke and now I am in the process of unlearning. And certain that it will be a success as I am very committed and serious about quitting. And hubby is now going in the bathroom to smoke, that has helped tremendously.

MT, I never realized teachers were evaluated on scores. Sounds like something HR (human resources) thought up. (I used to work in HR.) I never cared for all the meetings, job objectives and so on. Maybe it is job security for someone but I have not seen where it ever improved job performance. Just took up valuable work time. Just my two cents.

My husband has always been a heavy snorer. Have spent many nights on the sofa and had to sleep in a separate room when I was working. Now with him traveling lots, it is not always easy, especially if we're in a motel room. Those nights I stay up late and sleep in if possible! I am thankful those times to not have to get up and go to work, although I do quite a bit of "office work" for hubby at times.

Swabby, I do like Eomer, Legolas, Haldir and Boromir to name a few others. Aragorn (Viggo) is special not only for that character but his values, etc. in real life, more that than lust for his good looks. Oh, no wonder a gal can get lost in the LOTR movies...just put me in there with all those guys and I'd be in heaven, but alas, then comes reality as I kiss my hubby and remember I'm no longer a carefree young lass. Nor do I want to return to those days!

Tomorrow I am finally taking down the Christmas tree. Put away all the other decorations today. Will be time to pack our suitcases soon for hubby's job in Pennsylvania. That really isn't too far and much of our family is there as well. Lots of visiting in the near future!

:cheers: to the new thread and to all my FOF friends! :heart: :love: :hug: You have all made my new year a blessed one already!

scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2006 04:29
Like Rose, I was wondering if I should start another FoF thread but am not nearly brave enough to do that. I'm glad Belle took up the challenge.

Went in for my shot in the neck today. That was interesting. They used a really L-O-N-G needle according to the X-ray that I saw. It wasn't bad though. I had myself pretty freaked beforehand, but it was nothing that I couldn't handle with ease. So we'll see how I feel in a couple of days. I agreed to the procedure when the doc said that this was the optimum time to get treating it and thus trying to avoid surgery which he said would be an almost certainty if I didn't go on with it. Bring on the needle! says I. It looks like a one-toothed vampire took to my neck though. :evil:

Other men in LotR. :naughty: Hmmmm ARE there other men besides hunky Viggo? Well, let's start off with Frodo. Boy-howdy I could just drown in that boy's eyes. But as he's only 3 years older than my son, it creeps me out most of the time to think of him in that connotation. :love: Haldir...that's always a good choice as well as Legolas. I've never fancied Merry or Pippin although Dom and Billy did a brilliant job protraying them. They had them spot in IMHO. Eómer is just lovely too. :heart: I truly enjoyed Karl's portrayal as well as the character in the book. Now the guy who played Wormtongue is just downright creepy in my opinion. *shudder* He is also one that had his character spot on. PJ did an awesome job connecting the actors with their characters.

Well, I've waffled on long enough for one night. Gotsta try out a DVD in the new computer and see how good the quality is on the new monitor. I lead a boring life I think as it takes so little to amuse me.

Tah!

[Edited on 11/1/2006 by scots56]
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2006 06:23
Hey dol! merry dol everybody! :wave:

Thank you all for the kind anniversary wishes. Old Tom and his pretty lady had a very nice weekend, and our hockey team won to boot!

From the previous thread:
We know that "His Royal Hunk of Hairy Manliness" Viggo is A favorite amongst many of you...
Viggo? For a second I thought you were talking about Old Tom, swabby.

Congratulations to FOF! Five threads and still going strong! :cheers:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2006 02:43
Viggo? For a second I thought you were talking about Old Tom, swabby.

It goes without saying that hairy hunk of manliness applies to Viggo, Old Tom, and Swabby. I guess we were just not clear enough.

Old Tom: A belated happy anniversary. Your hockey team must have won just for the occassion, or do they do that on a regular basis. Hocky isn't huge here on the PoG.

Happy Hump Day, all!
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2006 04:40
Someone once told me that "No matter what someone tells you about the kind of music they like, just go to their home and see what music they've bought, then you'll know what it is that they really like." And so it is with LotR hunky men, so I believe. None of you have fantasized about "Haldir in A kilt" or A "chocolate-covered Eomer". I do believe that many of the younger women are enthralled with Boromir, Legolas, etc, but most of the well-seasoned females really go for his highness.
Of course these male characters have no animal or sexual appeal to me, but I do admire them and relate to them in certain ways. For me, Boromir and Samwise are very appealing. Boromir, because he is flawed and conflicted in his allegiances but eventually redeems himself through selfless bravery and sacrifice. A little bit like Samson when he collapsed the pillars and bought back his salvation.
Samwise because he never thought of himself. His devotion to Frodo was without limit. Making another Bible comparison, he, like Jesus, was ready to pay the ultimate price in order to allow good to triumph over evil. All the other heroes were no less brave, but their paths were A little less crooked. I would like to think that I could be like Boromir or Samwise if I found myself in their shoes. Swabby
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: January 11, 2006 09:20
Awelyn, our sauna is of the dry steam variety - one where you throw water on heated stones. We often call the wet steam sauna "Turkish bath".

It's been rainy and windy here today - what a winter weather...
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2006 10:21
Hi Everyone

Great that we have yet another part to FOF I wonder which is the largest forum thread, anyone know?

Swabby - I have a thing about most of the male characters in LOTR I love them all for different reasons. Boromir because he is flawed, Faramir for his sensitivity etc. I can't really say I find Gimli a turn on but he would be great company in a pub! I like Hayley Westerna I have heard her doing Pokare Anna which I believe is a traditional Maori song?

Hope everyone gets over any aches pains and new year colds - there are a lot of them going about my area at present but so far I have avoided them (touch wood).

Old Tom belated happy anniversary greetings.

Anyone here have an absolute favorite all time song? Mine is "heard it through the grapevine" by Marvin Gaye I just love the beat.

Take care everyone especially all you teachers you have a very demanding job.

Love

HT:heart:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2006 11:42
Poor Gimli. Nobody lusts for his little hairy bod. It must be the beard.

I had not heard of Hayley Westenra untill yesterday, but I've already ordered two of her CD's. My taste in music runs the gammit from AC/DC, Zep, to folk, bluegrass, Andrea Boccelli, classical and who-knows-what-else.

One of my long-time favorite songs is "A Whiter Shade of Pale" by Procal Harum, but now I have to give equal billing to "May it be" by either Enya or Hayley Westenra. "All along the Watchtower", "Crossroads", and "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" are some others that I never get tired of. Swabby
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2006 03:48
Hhhmmm...favorite song..."Midnight Train to Georgia."

I think what attracts us "seasoned" women to Aragorn is of course looks and sensitivity and his own seasonedness, but also power...King of the World, yep, sounds pretty good to me. A man that can turn down the ring of power, summon demons to do his bidding and speak words of love in Elvish! I call that well-rounded.

Here in Forodwaith, it is suppose to be 60 tomorrow. Hope you gets some balmy breezes and sun on the PoG, Scots!

SE
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2006 04:49
Weather on the PoG was absolutely beautiful today. I sat out on the picnic table and just soaked up the rays while watching the kids play tag. Then I had them run three laps around the school yard while the staff walked it. Just loverly. Tomorrw is supposed to be a bit cooler, but the mid 40s in January is nothing to be sneezed at!

Favorite song? Hmmmmm I dearly love the soundtracks of LotR. Enya is wonderful as well as the young man that solos in FotR. I REALLY like Annie Lennox's Into the West. That surprised me as I really am not a fan of hers normally. My taste runs to Celtic music and some pop. Pretty calm person am I.

[Edited on 12/1/2006 by scots56]
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 01:59
Rugged Rangers .... hmm, I suppose every woman's heart beats a little faster at a bit of *rough*. If I may be so bold.

And Viggo as Aragorn, doesn't come much *rougher*. :drool: Although, I have a easily noticed slant towards Leggy and Haldir, and of course the lovely Frodo. *sigh*.

Gimli is cute in his way. et: And I love moustaches and beards.

OTB: I feel sure if I passed you in the street, I would have to double take to make sure you weren't a hairy Ranger, my dear. *chuckle*

Scots and SE: Your weather sounds quite balmy. It's sunny here at the moment, but cold. Still, for this time of year, who is complaining.

Favourite songs: *holds head* Gosh!! I don't think I could honestly pick *one*.

I have songs I love, but that make me cry, I have songs that remind me of a particular time, place, person and there are songs that make me smile.

*thinks extra hard*..... ok.... I can't pick one, but I would say this song is *one* of my very favourite, favourites. 'Fairytale of New York' ~ The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl.

I absolutely love Shane McGowan and the music of The Pogues. Traditional Irish music just makes my toes curl. Lol!! As does the pipes and drums of Bonny Scotland!!

Well, I have drivelled on, haven't I!! Lol !! Maybe swabby sent some of those magic beans across the pond, or at the very least pointed that Black Cat bone at me. :wave: Hi swabby. :hug:

Gotta buzz. Dinner break is on the horizon. Need to finish a bit of typing and go for a wander around town.

Hope everyone is managing to keep to whatever resolutions they made. I myself, didn't bother, cos I hardly keep them. :twitch:

If any of you have got this far down this post ... [size=10]BOOO!![/size] :evil: Lol!!

Hugs to all my fellow devotees and keep well. :love:

Blessings ....

Rosie xxxx
awelyn418
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 03:20
One of my favorite my favorite songs is the Beatles song In My Life I think that is the title. There are places I remember all my life are some of the words. My Girl is another one and I am like Rose I just can't chose one and there are other genre that I would have to chose from too. Boo right back at you Rose.

I still like Elves better To each his own. Viggo is great but give me am elf.
The weather has been grand here too. We had beautiful sunshine yesterday. My dogs are loving it.

Well, I have to run I have a early morning meeting today.
Love to you all.

Awelyn 418
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 04:43
I was glad to see Rose leave us A big flamboyant post as she normally does and not one of those little ones that makes me think she isn't feeling well. I can't say if my otherworldly efforts to bring her around were effective or not. Being A novice at such things, I probably shouldn't have eaten the magic beans, but I didn't know what else to do with them. I did point A blackcat bone in her general direction and was just about to deploy my mojo hand when she left that normal looking post. I was listening to "Hoochie Koochie Man" by the Allman brothers and heard mention of something called A "Johnnie Cockaroo" which I intend to investigate and possibly have at my disposal the next time our intrepid lady goes on A walkabout. So c'mon Rose, let's see some dragon fire, dancing cats and altered photos.

The weather is completely off. It's not supposed to be in the low 70's this time of year at this latitude. This might be A good time to buy ocean front property in Nevada.

I know that Beatle song, Awelyn, and it is one of my favorites also. Of course I could never name one song as my favorite----there are too many that I like. I'll bet I know MT's favorite song, though. I just wrote it and it's called "Viggo loves that curly-headed sword-wielding teacher from Alabama, and nobody else". On the flipside you'll find "This Ranger's heart belongs to MT".

Now I want you all to imagine Gimli in A kilt. :naughty: Shocking, isn't it?
Later, Swabby

[Edited on 12/1/2006 by swabby]
awelyn418
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 07:45
Gimli in a kilt, it would have to be a short one laddie. Swabby, he has such short legs. I could see me sitting by a campfire and swapping stories and singing songs with Gimli and laughing but nothing romantic. I would have him with me in battle anytime though.

Mith, the same thing happened to me my frig gave up the ghost. Everything spoiled in the old one and today I am the owner of a shiny new one.

I have determined to lose weight. I am going on a low fat and more exercise diet. Any suggestions would be helpful FOF sisters and brothers. I am very serious this time. Just as Mith is addicted to nicotine I am addicted to food. So I need help to kick the wrong eating habits and get healthy. My grandkids and kids still need me.

Have a good day Ya'll. When asked in southeast mo. How are you doing or feeling you smile and drawl this out, fair to middling. So, I guess there must be a scale somewhere that reads, Great,Good, Fair and I guess if you are in between Good and Fair that is the middle hence middling little redneck humor.

Have a great day.
Awelyn
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 08:21
I think one could not ask for a better friend than Gimli. His good, courageous heart was what drew Legolas to him. Given what happened in Mirkwood in The Hobbit, you understand the suspicious and anger Gimli initially had toward Elves in general. However, he got over it and after meeting Galadriel, seemed to understand Elves were really just people with some amazing talents and troubles just as any other might have.

Awelyn, I am dedicated to that as well. I'm trying to use a non-sugar sweetner (Splenda for me) in my coffee and iced tea, cut out candy, eat plenty of green leafies and if I go out to eat, I choose the healthies thing available. Usually a salad or something grilled or baked rather than fried. I also take a combination of fish oil, flax seed oil, and borrage in a capsule I get from Wal-Mart. Those omega fatty acids help to raise your good cholesterol (HDL) and lower the bad cholesterol (LDL).

Currently do my best to exercise about an hour every other day until I stop feeling like I'm going to keel over. Heh... I was doing really well last year, then got sick and then got lazy. Oy... Drink plenty of water. That helps, too. I'm not fond of tap water, so I get Fruit2O from Sam's Club, though I think it's available in other places. It's basically fruit flavored water with a touch of Splenda in it to sweeten it a bit. No calories, low sodium, and drinkable even at room temperature.

As for me, I'm fair to middlin', sugah. Some days I'm mighty fine, but today my joints are giving me fits so I'll say I'm on the middlin' side. LOL... I love listening to accents and tend to pick up language tics when I'm around them for awhile.

Hmm... Someone asked about the largest threads on this forum - we're second at 2,693 all total and growing while the Christian thread is the largest at well over 4,000. I don't know about the other forums here.

[Edited on 1/12/2006 by BelleBayard]
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 12:52
Wow! This thread is long! I knew we were a chatty bunch. Guess "mature" folk have alot to talk about.

Here's a big pat on the back for "keepin' on keeping on", Mith. I'm sure it would be easy to give up the effort when you slip a bit. How wonderful that you just begin again. May it become easier each day to not smoke.
I also love the V-man for many reasons, not just his lovely exterior. His artistic side, political views, down-to-earth attitude and generous spirit endear him to me.:heart:

Although Ara-baby is the #1 LOTR man on my list, I love them all for different reasons too, HT. Last year I went through a course designed to discover your own gifts and talents (as described biblically). In one exercise we were to list 5 folks (living, dead or make-believe) that we admire and why we admire them, The list is then shortened to 3. Of course I mentioned Aragorn. We discovered that in some small way, we exhibit a degree of those very things that we admire in those we listed. I felt a deep bond with Ara-baby that grows every day.:heart:

You are a great lyricist, swabby. I love those songs! Who's singing them? (I didn't know I was such "an easy read")

I guess "seasonedness" attracts "seasonedness" , SE. I surely like what HE's (and you all know who I mean!) flavored with.:love: Wouldn't want to "baby sit" with some of those younger guys, even though they're gentle on the eye. Been there, done that...and once is enough!

Come to think of it, I guess you could say that Gimli is seasoned as well. I would greatly enjoy his company. A kilt somehow seems to work for Gimli, at least in my opinion. I love the braided hair and "ornaments" in his beard.

Good luck on the weight loss awelyn/b] and [b][Belle/b]! Sounds like you're on the right road, [b]Belle. I'm going to try to loose a little, since I've + over the holidays. I find that it's easier to loose than maintain. If you'd like, I can share some low calorie recipies. Here's to seeing a llittle less of us in the future.

MT
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 05:38
MT wants to know who will be singing her new most favorite songs. Well, who else! Gimli in A kilt standing on A box, of course! (He's quite the crooner, ya know)
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 07:08
Poor Gimli. Nobody lusts for his little hairy bod. It must be the beard.
You might be surprised, swabby. Thee are definitely some dwarf fanciers out there.

OTB: I feel sure if I passed you in the street, I would have to double take to make sure you weren't a hairy Ranger, my dear. *chuckle*
I'm afraid I'm a might bit too short to be one of those Dúnedain Rangers, Rose, but thanks for the thought.

If any of you have got this far down this post ... [size=10]BOOO!![/size] :evil: Lol!!

Oh wait, I'm not afraid of anything!

(I do believe in spooks. I do, I do, I do! )

I have determined to lose weight. I am going on a low fat and more exercise diet. Any suggestions would be helpful FOF sisters and brothers. I am very serious this time.
Awelyn, the best way to get fit is, as you suggest, eat healthy food and exercise regularly. The best way way to live a healthly lifestyle is to create habits that you can sustain. That means not overdoing it when you begin, then petering out because you get burned out. Start slowly, then increase the intensity of your workout as your physical fitness improves. Also, choose a regular time to exercise. Mornings work best for Old Tom, but to each his or her own.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 03:31
Of course Old Tom is right, there are some dwarf-fanciers out there. My first wife was only 4'10" tall (definately A dwarf of the female kind) and me, being 5'8" at the time, (I'm now 5'7", cursed gravity!) must have looked positively statuesque standing beside her. Too bad I couldn't break her from eating crackers in bed (as in OTHER people's beds) but that's A story best left untold. :nono: Later, Swabby
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 04:11
Aha - so there you all are!!! I was wondering what had happened and unsure whether and how to start a new thread. Glad to see you all again. So muh to responsd to that I'll have to do it over a few posts, or else the post will become the equivalent of War and Peace

OTB and swabby take heart, women may lust for the ideal heroes, but we love you real-world heroes,too. The ones who make us smile, who make our world happy and complete , who father our children, who are there and still love us even when we are less than princess-like. 'Cuz you can bet that someone like Arwen wouldn't snore, fart or pick her teeth - at least not as she is portrayed on the stories, right?

[b/] Sauna [/b] yup got me one of those. Our home was built by a Finn couple so the sauna was a piece of essential equipment. That's a good idea- I'll fire it up tonight so hubby and I can sweat all the stress out

Exercise and weight loss good ideas from others so far. Here's how I did it. Ahve lost 25 lbs so far and know I can do more. Feel great!

1. Decided it was a long-term, lifestyle adjustment and didn't pressure myself to hurry up and lose fast.

2. Recognized that I eat for emotional reasons - to reward myself for stressful days and make myself feel better. Decided to handle my stress differently and developed non-food rewards: incense, music, tracing a finger labyrinth to calm myself, T'ai Chi, yoga, time with LOTR.

3. Reduced proportion of starches in my diet. Increased water, vegs/fruit and protein. Then eat slowly and mindfully, to enjoy it. Left favourite part of meal for last, after eating "required" vegs.

4. Did NOT deprive myself of baking or chocolate or other treats. Just ate less and savoured every bite

5. Moderate, enjoyable execerise, regardless of whether or not I "felt like it". And then it became enjoyable and I usually DO "feel like it".

OK, enough for now. I am actually expected to work at work, so I'd best get to it.

"Innkeeper - a round for my friends." :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

[Edited on 13/1/2006 by Neenime]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 04:21
I always went for males smaller than myself. Not a dominance thing, believe me, I just never fancied tall men. My fella now though is 6'2" and I am 5'10, maybe a bit more on a good day with the wind behind me. Lol!!

I am involved with roleplaying, here on CoE, and I always seem to write as Dwarves. They most definitely suit most of my personality. Nitpicky, stubborn, loyal, tidy, strong and ready to kick *ss. Those that I write with, seem to think I have the Dwarven character off to a tee. Lol!! Maybe in a past life, who knows!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I wish everyone success in their endeavours. I did quit smoking once, many years ago, when I was expecting my daughter. The very mention of 'cigarette' had me heading for the loo. I smoke now, but only socially. Absolutely none through the day, a couple at night or when my significant other and I toddle off to the Dog Track on a Saturday night.

My daughter won't allow smoking in her house.

I am fairly fortunate, weightwise, I burn everything off that I eat, so I keep a steady weight, around the 11 st mark, which I feel comfortable with. I used to go to keep fit classes and dance class. I did tap dancing..... but kept falling off the taps. Lol!!!!

But seriously, you who want to lose weight. Just go carefully. It is a mixture of good diet, gentle and consistent exercise and good sense. Swimming is good too.

Well, here I am wasting my bosses money. :evil: Better go.

Blessings

Rosie xxxxx
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 07:54
Rose you are such a hoot! I can understand why Dwarves appeal to you. You have that same earthy sense of humour and delightful cantankerousness!

Me? I'm a regular United Nations of Middle Earth : built like a Dwarf and have their appetite for shiny, pretty stonecraft and metalcraft. Love the good country life, as do Hobbits. Have a love of learning and lore, like the Elves. Enjoy architecture and a sense of history like the race of Men, though I'm not particualrly adventurous or conqeust-hungry (so I am amore like the Rohirrim than the Gondorians). And, well, I live in the cold Northern Realm of Arnor (or what passes for it in the Mundane Realm).

As for attractive Middle Earth men, well, there were so many to chose from. Boromir, the Warrior, with his troubled and heroic soul . Elrond -wise, decisive, yet kind. I dunno, something about that Elf got my ticker running. Eomer - Mama Mia! Legolas -strong, intuitive, a skilled warrior, also. And Faramir - gentle, brave and sad. The latter is most like my own mate - hois gentle looks are deceiving.

On a funny note - I first spelled the name Legoals. I guess he was of the Hockey Elves who lived near the Ice Bay of Forochel. LOL
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 08:16
Hi everyone! :wave: Had a busy couple days. Started looking at cars, mine is getting rather old, although it still runs good. Hubby can't drive it since it's a stick shift so we want to get something we can both drive, easy on gas and that we can tow when jobs assignments are a longer distance from home. Think I will actually miss my Tracker when that time comes.

Prefer a guy taller, but at least as tall as myself, five and a half feet. Hubby is six foot two, I like it because it makes me feel small. Used to be self conscious in younger years because my hands and feet are large. Silly that seems now! I've never been a money person, don't feel it buys happiness. But it nice not spending any on cigs now.

Had a fun night last night. Drove to friends in Cleveland and played Mario Party, a (rather childish) video game. We used to have a game night once a week when we lived closer. Anyhow, lots of fun and get lots of tips on other video games plus we often lend each other games.

Trying to lose some here also and Hubby wants to also. Trying to help him eat healthier which will help both of us. Replace unhealthy snacks with things like baby carrots, almonds, fruit, etc. that is healthier. And working on developing healthy eating patterns. Also getting him off recliner chair when he's not working. I find it easier to keep up with exercising when he is working also. Not quite as easy to lose these days but would rather strive for healthy and losing gradually.

Neenime, loved what you said about not seeing the realistic side of Arwen, lol! You are so right, our guys see us at our worst and still love us, as we do them.

Swabby, you have piqued my curiosity about the crackers in bed. :feedback: Seriously, just enjoy your stories anytime you want to share.

Wish you all a healthy, slimmer and wonderful weekend!! :hug: :heart:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 09:24
I now realize that women, with their strong attractions to the male characters of LotR, (especially those of A physical nature) are able to receive or glean A further benefit from the story that perhaps I can't. When I think of this wonderful tale, I never find myself longing to embrace one of the characters or being attracted to them in A romantic way. You girls evidently do. Do you understand what I'm saying? I am cognizant of the romantic elements in the story, but that is all very much in the background and of minor significance to me. Yes, it is A love story, but not that kind of love story. The love that I see is mostly that which exists between the male characters and manifests itself in their undying devotion to one another and to their cause. Like when Samwise nearly drowns in order to go with Frodo, or when Gandalf battles the Balrog or when Theodon charges the eliphaunts head on. They were all stepping into the jaws of death for the sake of those they loved. That is the love that I saw and found so appealing, probably because of some of my own life experiences. It is simply A case of one's love for something or someone being bigger than one's fear of dying. They were determined to do the right thing, no matter what the consequences, and I wish there were more people in this world who were like that.:heart: Swabby

[Edited on 13/1/2006 by swabby]
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 09:59
Hi Guys

Swabby

We girls may fantasise about Rangers etc but we would be more than happy to find a few more like you. Sensitive men with a good sense of humour whatever their stature. You are correct when you say there is a lot of love in LOTR that is one of the reasons the books touch so many people. I know when I read the books over the years I always loved Aragorn but didn't think too much about the other characters. However when PJ brought out the films with all these gorgeous men.......Without the films I don't think I would have found this site and all the lovely people here at FOF. It is so nice to be able to find so many friends on the same wavelength - I used to think my obsession was rather rare and a little odd - Was I ever wrong!
Thank you all for allowing me to indulge in my dreams.

Love

HT:heart:

awelyn418
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 12:36
Ok I want to set the records straight. I don't fantasize about any male character in the book or movie. The love in the book and the movies in Greek is called agape love. It is the highest and purest love known to man. I am not a prude by any means and I can appreciate a good-looking hunk as well as any woman. I see far behind the physical appearance and I look into the heart and soul of the character. Could anyone been any braver than Sam fighting Shelob? Any braver than Treebeard fighting Saruman? You expected that from Aragorn and Legolas and Gimli but not from some of the other characters. It was love for Frodo and love for his Ent brothers that caused bravery to spring forth. So, not all of us girls, (thank you for calling me a girl I felt young again for a moment) think the way you described, matter-of-fact I feel as you do Swabby it is that love and devotion that makes this such a great story. Yes, I wish there were more people like that too.

Thanks OTB and Neenime and Rose for the health and diet tips

Have a good night.
Awelyn 418 :heart:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 01:09
Touche' Awelyn! You've expressed with great clarity what I believe to be the most common view among the girls.(ladies) When you joke about sexy Rangers and such, it is no different than when we fellows go on about some "babe" we've seen. We both know that it's just fun-talk.:love:

Thanks for the nice comments, HT,MT,Neenime, Mith, Rose, Mory, Awelyn, Balrog, Scots, Brandywine, have I missed anyone? Anyway, you're all the best.:heart: Swabby
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email