Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part V
on: January 13, 2006 01:56
I must agree with awelyn that agape plays a huge part in Tolkien's world. The caring that the diverse folk of the Fellowship showed went beyond just having a job to do. In the movies, I really choked up when Sam answered Frodo's question about why they had to go on. Because you have to believe there's still good in the world and be willling to make sacrifices to keep it alive.

swabby, it is indeed fun to joke about hankering after the hunks in the movie or sighing over the characters in the book. It's more like hero worship than anything else and it is fun! We're glad to have guys like you to discuss such things and this group of people on this site that have the love Tolkien and his tales enrich our lives immensely.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 05:12
All the characters in LOTR are very special to me, for the reasons mentioned previously. For some reason I identified and "became taken with" Aragorn when I first read the book more that 30 years ago. That love has grown over the years with subsequent readings and upon seeing Viggo on the big screen as MY ARAGORN.............:heart::love: I was )and still am) bound to him. I don't know if you can relate to what I am describing as nothing like this has happened to me before.

Going to do some work on my scrapbooks. especially the LOYR one. I'm adding some poems and ditties , pics and drawings of some of the fine folk at FoF. Will be putting more pics in of my grandchildren at Christmas. Can't believe how the 2 year-old looks like a little boy and not a toddler. They change and grow so quickly! Can't wait to hug them and feel those sweet little arms around me!!!

Going to meet with some LOTR fans for a Mini Moot in Michigan this summer. These are the Middle Aged Crazy gals that I met in Indianapolis to see the Exhibition. We're going to dance in the moonlight to harp and pennywhistle music. :disco: My standee, Ara-baby, is supposed to be traveling with me. "The gals" want him to come also. :heart: He hasn't been traveling since our last hurricane evacuation last fall. Perhaps I should let him venture out into the world.

Wishing each of you a wonderful evening and fantastic begining to the weekend.

MT
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 05:59
Mith, I wish you luck in finding a new car.

We had a student that was in the local paper tonight. He went to a dance wearing a kilt to celebrate his Scottish ancestry.The dance was just a dance . The Principal made him go home and change into pants. He and his parents sued the school system and he and his lawyer went to court in a kilt. They won the law suit and a delegate from Scotland started a petition on line and there were so many signatures that not only did the principal apologized but he changed the dress code to include the kilt if that was part of your heritage. So there was a picture in our paper of him smiling and holding up his kilt. I thought good for him .

Swabby it is fun here in FOF.. We are a great bunch and you all make my day . Have a great weekend.

Awelyn 418:heart:
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 02:02
Awelyn: I hope the Principal was holding the kilt in his hands and not wearing it, when he lifted it up. :evil: Lol!!

Regarding fanticising, I doubt there is not a person with blood in their veins or who takes a breath, who hasn't had an inkling for some 'eye candy', male or female, on the silver screen/TV. It's only natural. And PJ was hardly going to cast some ugly b*gg*r for the characters in LotR, apart from those who needed to be. But as regards the books, I agree, Swabby, it is the love of fellowship and the heroics of the characters that sweep you away.

As in all conflicts, it is the comradeship and commitment of and to the fellow being, family and friends, that makes you take a breath and love them. I can only stand and think of the sacrifices people have made over the centuries for each other.

Carried away, as I am by the books, I give little thought to whether any one character is handsome or beautiful. It is the story, the thrill, the hour.

Well that's my pennyworth.

Blessings for the weekend. :hug:

Rosie xxxxx
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 02:41
I agree that, ultimately , it is the humanity (well, let's call it agape) of the characters that touches each one of us. For instance - Faramir, who tried so to do the right thing and hoped to be loved for who he really was. Is that not a universal human expierince? And yes, the selfless dedication of friends and comrades, that finds reserves of courage and ingenuity that were hidden. Those are powerful and uplifting experiences.

At the same time, I am among those who bonds wth a character and enjoys a fantasy or two. :blush: I agree with Rose, it's normal. A visit to that land is fine, it's when we start to live there semi-permanently that it becomes a problem. At the same time...different strokes for different folks. ... or "To each her own," the old woman said as she kissed her cow.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
awelyn418
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 04:03
Well, Rose I hope he was too The young man was wearing the traditional white shirt and tie with the kilt. Since I saw Braveheart I have thought men look attractive in a kilt.

I do think it is normal to fantasize but I just haven't with the book or the movies.

Has anyone heard from Balrog or Nenya Gold, Brandywine or some of the others we use to post with on FOF?

I have to go and clean but will drop by later.
Awelyn418

MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 04:24
Great kilt story awelyn. I am so glad that the young man won his case. Something inside me wanted the judge to order the principal to wear a kilt to school.

And who from the books and movies are you bound to, swabby?

I miss Nenya, balrog, Brandywine, Magoleth ,too. Hope they find their way back to us. Should we send a ranger out to hunt for them? (If so, I'm going to "hide" for a while)

MT
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 05:23
Awelyn taught me A new word. I'd never heard the word "agape" before and had to go look it up. I'm not sure how I would use it in A sentence, but at least I now know another word for "love". Thankyou, dear lady.

Asking me to name which LotR character I am "bound to" is A lot like trying to name my favorite song, MT. I identify with all of the characters, but if I had to name one, I'd name the author, MR Tolkien, as the one I'm bound to the most. When I read the books or watch the movies, I'm always thinking about the writer (PJ also when watching the movies) and trying to understand where he was coming from and what might have motivated him to write the way he did. With each chapter and situation I'm theorizing whether there is A deeper meaning or if it is just what it appears to be. I try to enjoy the story on all of the levels that it affords, too. I can look at it like A child might, and just let myself be entertained. That is probably one of the reasons I can watch those movies over and over. There are so many different elements to dwell upon. There is the music, the cinematography and the script writing which comprises the movie-making art, then there is that unparalleled piece of literature for which the word "story" is so very inadequate. I don't know why, but I find myself analysing much that I come in contact with, whether it be A book, A movie, art or music.
Well, I certainly do ramble on, don't I? Have A good weekend, all. Now try to imagine Denathor reading bedtime stories to children. Swabby

I was just wondering, MT, do you have A big envelope that Ara-baby can fit comfortably in when you go on the road, or do you just strap him to the roof of your car? Also, do you allow your friends to, you know, fondle his studliness?

[Edited on 14/1/2006 by swabby]
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 05:45
As for me, my love of LotR began with, continues to be with, and shall end with the story of friendship and sacrifice. I think it's a story that easily crosses generational, gender, and cultural boundaries due to the basic human themes contained therein.

I didn't think much about the story about Aragorn and Arwen until the movies came out to tell the truth. Yes, I knew the story and read the little snippets that Tolkien gave to us, but that's as far as it went. Maybe it was the visual aspect that brought it home to me. It was kind of an "Ah, Ha!" moment for me. Another layer within the story which in retrospect makes perfect sense. There had to be that element in Aragorn's character to help to give him a push in addition to the self-sacrificing wonderful human that he is.

As for those of you quitting smoking...good for you! I smoked just a bitsy when I was in high school. I then saw myself reflected in a shop window and thought, "Wow! You look horrible, not cool, with that ciggy in your hand." So that was the end of that. I was so fortunate that the addiction hadn't hit me seriously yet. *wipes hand over brow in relief* Although I must admit that even after all these years, very occasionally just a whiff of smoke raises just for a flash of a nano-second, a wish to light up. And I haven't smoked a cigarette in over 30 years! Now that's addiction, and I wasn't even what I would consider addicted to them! I have to admit that I am one of those "grouchy" people that don't allow people to smoke in my house or car and try to keep away from those places where there is smoking going on. Here on the PoG, they have instituted a smoking ban in all public buildings within city limits. There was an uproar about how it would really hurt business, but ironically, business has improved. *Fascinating*

Now though, cigarette smoke really bothers me quite a bit since I'm never around it. One of our parents was at school the other night and lit up. Not because he was smoking, we were looking to find the best place for the new smoke detectors. Oh, man, instant headache that took me several hours to shake! So keep up the good work to those of you who are trying to kick the habit! I know that it's tough! After watching my father-in-law die of emphysema this summer, I do wish all of you the best of luck in quitting. I would hate to hear of any of you suffering any fate like that.

Did anyone here in the U.S. catch the 20/20 show last night on Stupid in America: What's Wrong with our Public Schools? I'm still ruminating over that one. :dizzy:
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 08:50
It's a very windy day here and the sound of it and the waves crashing to shore is quite loud. I think winter is coming back in full force. Makes me want to curl up in a blanket with the computer or a good book, lol.

It is so amazing to me that I could become so obsessed and totally immersed in Tolkien. Like you said, Swabby, I also find myself analyzing various aspects and details. And I could watch the movies endlessly. I am not one to read a book or watch a movie twice, let alone countless times. Tolkien's grip on me is strong! It has created quite a bond with us as well. I read your comments and keep thinking, 'yes, I feel the same way'.

I indulge in a bit of fantasy and must confess there have been times I wish it were possible to get lost within that realm. But alas, reality and sanity are strong within me.

I have not bought cigarettes this year and doing really well on the quitting. Trying to change my mindset to that of a non-smoker. Thanks again for all the words of encouragement and support - it really helps. :heart:

Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 12:14
Just dropping in to say hello, and wish everybody a nice weekend - I'm trying to catch up tomorrow, but today, real life and admin duties have taken quite a chunk of my time.

That was a nice kilt story, awelyn!

You're doing great with quitting, Mith - I think that the only thing that can make you lapse now is some really big disaster.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 05:23
Sorry to say that I missed the 20/20 program that you spoke of scots. The title alone sounded interesting. I'm always interestd in the public's perception of how things are in school.

Great big pat on the back for you, Mith! :hug:

You inspired me to do some much needed house work today, awelyn. I don't enjoying doing it on my day off, but I like the results.

In answer to your question, swabby, I do have Ara-baby's large plastic bag that he came in. I have used that to protect him during Ivan. Once I placed him half-unfolded in the front seat as we were riding down the interstate returning home from a hurricane evacuation. You should've seen some of the looks I got. Of course I was listening to the soundtracks to shorten the feel of my long ride home and was "conducting" with arms flailing all around. Don't know if the stares were due to Ara-baby or my energetic movements to the music. You know, there can be an "up" side to hurricane season.

MT
awelyn418
Send Message
on: January 15, 2006 04:02
Scots I did see that program. Did you agree with the reporting and I wonder if your school board members saw it. It made a great case for your type of school. I would like to do some research on this and see how much of the things they talked about was based on facts or just sensationalism reporting. I have always liked charter schools . I would like to teach in one of them. I will still need to do some research before I make up my mind .

It is going to be a beautiful day here almost in the 60's unbelievable for January.

All the talk about LOTR characters has had me wanting to watch the movies and I think I will on MLK day tomorrow.

MTMS I am glad I can inspire someone even if it is just cleaning.
Happy Sunday FOF.

Awelyn 418 :wave:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2006 04:50
Okay, I just had a long tirade written on the school issue and decided that my blood pressure didn't need that stress this early on a Sunday morning and deleted what I had written. Suffice it to say that the 20/20 program had some *very* valid points and some that were *way* out in left field. Having just taught a lesson on bias and propoganda, I found it *fascinating* to see all of the tricks employed. I found it to be slanted toward the voucher system which makes me VERY nervous...education for the rich you know... but I was interested in the charter school system. We don't have them here in the PoG, but I do know they have them in Colorado where my sisters live. From what I've heard, it's not been a great success there in some parts of the state, but some are excellent. Unfortunately the lower income to average family isn't able to afford to send their kids there even with tax credits; they rely on scholarships which are few and far between. My niece is at that point of looking to send her kids to school and is frantic because the DPS schools are so bad that she doesn't want to send her kids there. So again, research is definately needed.

We are at a crossroads in education as we are in health care, big changes coming along. I just hope they are changes for the better.

The spousal unit and I are going to get outta Dodge today. The weather is supposed to be in the mid-60s today. Unbelievable. Then tomorrow it's supposed to be 20 degrees colder. Crazy weather. No wonder people are getting sick.

Have a nice rest of the weekend and a restful day off tomorrow if you have it off. I do! Yay! :disco:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2006 05:07
Like Mith, I too, wish I could somehow enter into the world of Middle Earth and live there A while. How I'd love to live in one of those cozy little Hobbit holes! I'd bake A lot of fresh bread, then invite some neighbors over for hot buttered bread just out of the oven(also some good cheese and honey) with coffee and tea. We might discuss our gardens and who grew the biggest cabbages or the sweetest strawberries. That evening I'd be sure to drop by the Green Dragon for some ale, and since I know they serve it by the half-pint, I'd have two of them. Perhaps some travelors would come by and exite us with news of strange goings-on beyond our borders.
Speaking only for myself, I am only able to go there in my imagination, being much too securley tethered to terra cotta.(hehe) HT knows what I mean. If someone could just figure out how to cut that tether.
Judging from MT's latest tales of her and Ara-baby's freeway escapades, I'd say she's already managed to free herself. Now if she'd just come and free the rest of us, we could get onboard that Hobbiton bus and commence our journey. How about it, MT? Got your wire-cutters with you, or do you use one of your big ol' swords?

May you all have A nice relaxing Sunday! Swabby
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: January 15, 2006 09:36
swabby, I was idly talking about our ME commune to my boss while waiting for a meeting. She said it sounded reasonable and something that would work. Oh, how I would love to do it! I'd take you up on that meal. Yum...

scots, I have to agree with you. The state of schools and health care is just dreadful. Even in a fairly new high school as my sons, they don't always have textbooks and supplies that they need, meaning that they either have to do with outdated books or none. The teachers do what they can, but this is ridiculous! We pay taxes out to gazoo. I swear it goes to line politicians pockets! Grrr... Yes, I know what you mean about blood pressure.

I don't know where the others are and that's why I began this new thread. Usually NenyaGold hops on it when it gets only a tiny bit over 600 posts. Gets unwieldy when it gets too big.

Well, housework calls too. Ugh... Have a pleasant Sunday, my friend.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2006 04:48
MT I love the image of you and Ara-baby truckin' on down the road......

Mid-60's temperatures , eh? We had a nasty case of Caradhras weather today - 10cm of blowing, swirling snow. Hubby and I had to rescue our boys, stuck in our dirveway in the smaller, lighter car. I got to drive, they got to use the muscle power to rock the car out of its deep snow-rut. Good - all their working and out and sweating and pumping iron has to be good for something besides impressing the ladies. We'll be glad when the driveway gets ploughed tomorrow. Our driveway is 150 ft long and the snow-thrower gave up the ghost a few years ago, so our hero is Bill with his big truck and its snowplough blade on the front.

And we are on Day # ___? of Kick the Bad Habits? Keep up the good work!

I didn't see the 20/20 education special but I know that these big network shows like to sensationalize things. I doubt that it helps the public to be informed. I would much sooner trust the opinion of those of you direcgtly involved in the teaching profession.

OK - off to read. ALways griping about not having enough time to read so had best get to it while my eyes and brain are still functioning.

Nighty-night :yawn: :wave:
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
awelyn418
Send Message
on: January 15, 2006 04:49
Swabby you make me homesick for Middle-Earth and the hobbits and the Elves. Your bread fresh out of the oven made my mouth water. I would like a cup of tea please. We might have a bit of dancing at the Green Dragon as well. It sounds very pleasant. Let me tell you what I fantasize about alot, a FOF meeting in New Zealand for a LOTR get together. Oh, what fun. To see all of you and get to know you better. I guess it is a dream. I was reading the Sil the other day and I think parts of it could be made into a wonderful movie. Like a prequel to the LOTR movies. It worked for Star Wars.

Scots I am glad you did not pop a blood vessel. What solution do we have to this problem we have with our education system? My daughter decided she was going to homeschool her children and she is doing a great job. I was concerned at first until I witnessed for myself the results. My 6 year old granddaughter was in the kitchen helping me cook and took the box off my counter and said Grammy you need half a cup of milk in this and two eggs I took the box and read the directions and I said that is right who told you. She said me, I read it. I was not concerned after that cooking lesson.

Belle our tax money is going somewhere that's for sure.

Well I fixed a low-fat dessert tonight. It was a slice of angel food cake topped with cherry pie filling. It was yummy. My diet is going great I just need to exercise more.

I need to go I am signing a song with my daughter next Sunday and I have not signed in years so I am having to refresh my memory and re-teach myself. But I love it. I am just a mediocre singer but I can sign with the best of them.

Have a great night and Monday.
Awelyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 12:40
Swabby: *wire cutters at the ready* I'm on my way. Get the kettle on. I think we would build a fine commune. :love:

Awelyn: I would love to see you sign the song. My niece (whom I sadly don't see anymore ~ family fall out *sigh*) is totally deaf and I was always amazed at the speed with which her and her hearing-impaired friends could chat away. Although I believe US signing and British signing is slightly different. A bit like us hearing people, same language, different words.

As for being homesick for Middle-earth, dear, you just have to open the books and there you are. :love: Works for me everytime. :love:

A movie of the Sil, well that would be some movie, especially if PJ got his hands on it.... I mean look at King Kong ... the man managed to stretch it to 3 hours!!! So imagine the Sil. :twitch: He he he he.

I can't remember which of our fellowship here said it (Old Timber's Disease :dizzy: ). It was about fanticising, but knowing where to draw the line. I so agree. There are those who don't and that is .......:twitch:, well it is. Lolololol!!

MT: The image of yoy and Aragorn driving along was wonderful. Lol!!

Hope everyone had a good weekend. I enjoyed mine. I played on my PC games, which I haven't done for an age ~ Diablo II and Disciples II. Kicked some virtual *ss. Lol!! :evil:

I had a favourite meal of mine. Fish pie, made with cod, salmon and prawns, topped with mashed potato and browned in the oven. Comfort food, I call it. Ymmmmmm!!!!

I was just sitting wondering the other day, does anyone have a favourite character in the books and why, or do you champion any character who is usually despised.

My most favourite character is SAM!!! But I guess that goes without saying. I can't say too much about him, or I get weepy. :love:

However, I do have a character whom I would champion, and that's Denethor. I just think he is misunderstood, given his circumstances.

He has a lovely wife and a fine son, then his wife dies giving birth. It happens time and time again, when the father then blames that child. His anguish turns to bitterness and Faramir suffers for it. Then to top it all, Boromir dies. By now Denethor is using the Palantir and is under the influence of Saruman.... a point missed by PJ in the movie

Saruman has driven Denethor to the depths of despair, and when he assumes Faramir is also going to die, he loses it completely. Imagine what he must have been going through. Sheesh!!! Poor man. *hugs Denethor*.

Well, better go earn a crust and do some work.

TTFN

Rosie xxx

Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 03:29
Good points about Denethor, Rosie. It's one of the things that I appreciate about the books - there is more time to get into character development. Really, most of JRRT's "evil" characters are misguided or somehow changed by circumstance. There's a lesson there for all of us.

Hmmm -a commune, eh? That could be fun. I know we would have no shortage of entertaining stories from all of us. We also seem to cover a variety of skills, so it could work. Sign me up!

Awelyn -cool about the signing. Something I've never had occasion to learn. It was big a few years ago but I see less about it these days. Maybe it's just a matter of media emphasis. Hope it goes well! (Oh and congrats about the dieting! Keep trying with the exercise, it WILL happen).

Tired today - slept poorly after a family feast (self-inflicted heartburn). I think I'll close my office door at lunch and try to catch a few winks. :sleepy:

Have a good day everyone. Save me a spot at the Green Dragon tonight.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 04:36
For the sake of my European and Canadian friends who might not know about it, today is A national holiday here in the US. It is the birthday of the great civil rights leader, Martin Luther King, Jr. He was shot and killed as he stood on his hotel balcony in April of 1968 by A fellow named James Earl Ray. I happened to be A few miles away at the time, going to school at the Naval Air Technical Training Center, located just outside of Memphis, Tennessee. They immediately closed the gates of the base and barred anyone from entering or leaving, for fear of riots. I was 20 at the time and was so ignorant of the world that I didn't know what I was witness to. His and Robert Kennedy's assasination plus the goings on in Vietnam made for some especially tumultuous times.
Even the weather was particularly destructive that Spring. Tornados caused our evacuation from the barracks one very stormy April night as we waded through waist-deep water to the new chowhall/storm shelter. Our way was lit with constant flashes from the lightening strikes. Hundreds of us hunkered in the dark of the unfinished chowhall and made it through the night just fine, but about 30 people died right outside the base when A twister hit their trailor park. Around that same time (April 196 A tornado hit the little town of Greenwood, Arkansas and also killed about thirty people there. That one was too close for comfort because it is in my neck of the woods, and A place I knew well. They had had A nice little park in the center of town that was fenced in and had friendly deer in it that you could pet. It disappeared. There were many valuable horses and cattle in nearby fields that were never found. The town was rebuilt, but today you can still see signs of the destruction from nearly 38 years ago.
Oh, I just remembered another awful thing that happened in April of 1968.....I got married. (The first time)
And there you have today's history lesson along with personal memories and comments by yours truly.

It was silly of me to wonder what instrument MT might use to cut things with.....of course she uses her sword! So Rose has the wire cutters and MT has her long shiney sword. Between the two of them, they should be able to free us all in A couple of days, don't you think? I used to drive busses some in the Navy, so I'll volunteer for that job. I will need A map, however. You all do trust an aging ex-sailor with no cork or tether to reality with your lives, don't you? Later my fine friends, Swabby
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 05:08
I would love to sit in the kitchen of your Hobbit hole, swabby and enjoy some fresh baked bread with jam. I've "modified" Perry The Winkle (forgive me please, professor) just a bit to fit the image you inspired.
"There were piklets, there was buttered toast,
and jam, and cream and cake.
and the FoF's strove to eat the most,
though their buttons all should break.
The kettle sang, the fire was hot,
the pot was large and brown,
and the FoF's tried to drink the lot,
in tea though they should drown.

When full and tight were coat and skin,
they rested without speach,
till Swabby said: "I'll now begin
the baker's art to teach.
the making of beautiful cransome bread,
of bannocks light and brown;
and then you can sleep on a heather-bed
with pillows of owlet's down."

I love the idea of at least some of us getting together, awelyn. Anyone else interested in making it happen?

I love the way you describe the weather, Neenime. Those kind of thoughts run through my head as well, but no one else understands what I mean so I keep it to myself. Although we have no "Caradhras" days, there are plenty that remind me of The Fog on The Barrow Downs.

I'm sure that you know who my fave characater is Rose. One of the many things I love about Aragorn is his reluctance to accept leadership. (I identify deeply with that). He takes on the respponsibility and gives his upmost when the time comes.
I have a soft spot in my heart for Eowyn also. She has gone through so much loss in her life: parents dead, brother off fighting, uncle distant, then deceased. She finds someone to "hold on to" and he rejects her. In my mind I give her marriage to Faramir unexpected happiness and joy, though I imagine she will bear the pain and memory of her injury from dealing with the Witch King..like post traumatic stress disorder.
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 05:44
MT: I loved your wrinkle to 'Perry The Winkle', although I don't seem to know the ditty. Is it peculiar to the US? But the words are so fitting. *grins*

We lovesssss witty dittiesssss.

You mean your favourite character is A r a g o r n!! Never!!!!!! *You* do surprise me....NOT!!! Lol!!!! I also understand about not accepting leadership, I much prefer to be a cog than the wheel.

Hmmm, Éowyn. *waggles hand* My jury is out on her, I'm afraid. Well, at least the movie character. I quite liked the book Éowyn. Not quite so simpering or as 'wet'. Bookish Éowyn was more for herself, a bit ... well a lot, really... manipulative. She wasn't daft. Lol!! I feel she had the thought that if she made up to Aragorn, she might get her own way, and get to fight. And good on her!!

Swabby: I knew about MLK and his commemorative day. He was a good man with a good dream. I also remember Bobby Kennedy and his assassination. I was on honeymoon in Scotland, staying at my granny's. My then hubby and I came back from a walk to see tv pictures from the US. I was shocked. To be honest, I think it was the first event of it's kind that *I* had ever seen, apart from JFK.

Now, I don't know if I am on my own here, but I *do not* remember *where* I was when Jack Kennedy was shot and killed. But of course was horrified at the film footage. Whilst the Kennedy family's personal lives might not have been squeaky clean, I did like Jack and his policies and I always had and have a leaning towards leaders who stand up to others, and consequences be damned. *ducks ... just in case*

My comments are, of course, my absolute personal opinion and I hope you don't object to my airing them.

Huggles to everyone ..... *hurries back to cutting the wire* .....*snaps fingers ... begins to hum ♪♪ 'The Great Escape' ♪♪ ... runs to find her motorsickle .... brrrrrrmmmmm, brrrrmmmmmmm ..... Wheeeeee!!!!!!! over the top of the wire....*

Silly Rose... I know. *giggles* :rolleyes:

scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 06:07
Like Rose, Sam is my all-time favorite character. He is faithful to Frodo through thick and thicker with no thought for himself. You can't ask for more than that in a friend. I am one that strives to be like Sam. He's one awesome hobbit!

The final temperature yesterday was 69! Yah Hoo! Now..today is another matter. 41 at the mo and dropping with the "brisk" ever present PoG wind.

ME FoF commune?? Count me in! I'm being hobbitish today on my day off. After checking e-mails (decidedly un-hobbitish I must admit) I'm off to bake lemon poppyseed scones and banana nut muffins. I am not much of a cook...a baker mostly. But I could do with teaching the younger generations their letters. THAT is something that I do have some expertise in.

Meeting up with all of you sounds like a lovely idea! I do have definite plans to meet Brandywine and Shireling in May after school gets out. Then there's another member that's a maybe...still waiting to hear confirmation on that. *shivers with excitement and anticipation* Good times.
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 10:11
Hey, maybe we can set up a hobbitish commune when we all retire...

I'm too young to remember anything about Martin Luther King's assassination, although it must have been news here as well. But, his story has made it in our history books, and he definitely deserves to be remembered and celebrated.

It's hard to decide who of the LOTR characters would be my favourite. I tend to root for minor (though important) characters - Treebeard, Théoden, Gimli, Ioreth... But, I'd also vouch for Denethor ([nitpick] just to be accurate, his wife didn't die of childbirth, but wasted away when Faramir was 5 [/nitpick]), and if there's one thing in the movies I'd like to change, it would be the portrayal of Denethor as barking mad from the beginning.

:hug: to everybody, and hope you'll have a nice beginning of the week!
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 11:00
Thank you for sharing your personal history relating to MLK Jr., swabby. I was only 6 years old when he was assassinated, and have no memory of it. Dr. King must have been a very couragious man. His message of peace is one that we should all continually remind ourselves regardless of our ethnicity.

...When we let freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"
Here's a link to the complete text of his famous "I Have a Dream" speech delivered at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C. in August of 1963. There's a link to the audio on the same page.)

Oh, I just remembered another awful thing that happened in April of 1968.....I got married. (The first time)
I recall asking my grandfather what year he and my grandmother were married. He said "1929". I said, "Wasn't that the year the stock market crashed?". With a mischevious grin on his face he replied, "That's not the only thing that crashed!". He and my grandmother had been married nearly 70 years when he passed away. My grandmother, who'll be 95 years old this June, is still with us.

On a more mundane note:

This morning, aflter my monthly "tune-up" at the chiropractor's office, I did something I haven't done in a number of years: I went ice skating.

I used to be a very strong ice skater. Nineteem years ago when I still lived in the SF Bay Area I used to be on the ice 2-3 nights a week. I even played a couple of seasons in an adult ice hockey league. It was a lot of fun!

Fueled by my efforts to get back into shape, lately I've been entertaining thoughts of getting back into playing. There's a very nice ice rink less than 20 miles from my house, and they have adult ice hockey for various levels of play.

I knew I'd be a bit rusty having skated only a couple of times over the past 17 years or so, but this morning showed that I'm nearly back to square one. While I had some trouble with my skates--I'm pretty certain that the person who last sharpened them did a very poor job--the good news is that at least my lower back didn't tighten up. (That used to be something I had some problems with back when I skated regularly, despite all the stretching I did.)

The only problem I foresee with playing hockey is that a hockey stick won't fit in my car. Back in the day I used to have a Honda Civic hatchback. I could drop the back seat down and fit the sticks in the back. They definitely won't fit in my Honday Civic del Sol (it's a two-seater), unless I want to put them on the passenger's side and have them stick out through the back window.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 11:18
I am honoured and speechless that MT would write/modify that poem to fit my image of A hobbit kitchen. I really do think we here love one another.:heart:

Rose, I hope you make that jump and continue on, not crash like Steve did.

There seems to be some increasingly serious talk of A face to face meeting between us. I'm game! Let's do it!
Later, Swabby
awelyn418
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 12:37
OTB, every time I hear or read that part of that speech I get chills.
I think he was a great man and he gave his lifer for his beliefs. I have tried ice skating once and fell and cut my knee on the ice but it was so much fun.

Rose I was 10 and in the fifth grade and the news came over our intercom system. I remember coming home and watching TV and seeing my mother cry. I remember crying when Little John kissed the casket.

On a happier note I wish we could get together.

Neenime we are signing a song called No Greater Love it is about Nate Saint a martyred missionary in the 50's The movie Spears End that comes out Jan. 20th is about it and there is a tribesman chanting on the song it is very moving. I hope you feel more rested after your rest.
Scots good for you . The lemon poppyseed scones sound delicious.

Have a good night.

Awelyn
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 12:43
I was 12 when MLK was shot as well at Bobby Kennedy. I was just old enough to be aware of the impact of those events although young enough to go on about my merry innocent way. I still shake my head at the waste of it all...anger, hate. It is just so pointless.

As for a meet up place, we could meet here on the PoG. Heck, then maybe I couldn't refer to it as the PoG anymore. Something LotR related would actually be happening here. LOL
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 12:58
Morwin: Nitpick away, my friend. :love: One of my more prominent idiosyncracies. Lol!! Of course, Denethor's wife faded away and didn't die in childbirth. *slaps wrists* :rolleyes: Thankyou for reminding me.

Old Tom: I have ice-skated only a couple of times, and enjoyed it, but roller skating was my forté. I was pretty darned good, if I can blow my own trumpet. I got medals. Until I ran into a door knob at home and lost my sense of balance for several years. :dizzy: I was only 9 or 10 years old at the time. I could have studied astronomy after all the stars I saw. Lol!!

swabby: Not to make light of Dr King's speech, but 'we have a dream'. Oh, wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all meet up one day. :love:

I'll try not to crash, although I am a little accident prone. :rolleyes:

MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 03:43
Actually, Perry The Winkle is one of JRR's poems that can be found in The Tolkien Reader. It's one of my favorites. Tells of a bit of Trollish prejudice and how Perry The Winkle sees and enjoys the benefits of friendship with the "unlovely"...or that's my take on it anyway.

I imagine you skating smoothly along,Old Tom, as Jethro Tull's song Skating Away is playing. Know that song swabby?

I've heard the story behind Spears End, awelyn. It's very powerful. Am thinking of seeing it.

If the PoG are centrally located and accessable to most of us, I say let's start planning, scots. I could even bring Ara-baby!!:heart: The summer is the best time for us teachers, but if it's close enough, maybe a weekend would work. What say you???

MT
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 06:41
If the PoG are centrally located and accessable to most of us, I say let's start planning, scots.
Nebraska is centrally located in the U.S, but what about our friends in the U.K? I'd very much like a meeting of the FoF to include them. Of course swabby and I would have to wear kilts for the occasion.

I think it would be great if we could all attend a LOTR Convention together. I was hoping there would be another TolCon in Seattle this May, Goldberry and I went in 2004 but missed last year's, but thus far I haven't been able to find any news of it on the web, and my email to the organizer has thus far gone unanswered.

However, this summer during the July 4th weekend there's The Gathering of the Fellowship in Toronto, Canada. It's quite a bit more expensive, though, than when they previously held it in December 2002. Artist John Howe will be there, which is a big incentive for me to go, and they're going to have a picnic with Gandalf's fireworks! Another incentive is that the stage production of The Lord of the Rings will be playing in Toronto at that time.

Old Tom: I have ice-skated only a couple of times, and enjoyed it, but roller skating was my forté. I was pretty darned good, if I can blow my own trumpet. I got medals.
Medals, eh? Well I'm impressed! Before I took up ice skating I used to rollerskate a bit. Once I started ice skating, though, I gave it up because I liked it much better. You have more control on ice and can go much faster. ZOOM!
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2006 12:57
ROFL!! Well, I am doing well....first I say that Faramir's mum died in childbirth, when she didn't die until 5 years later.....and....*then*.....I don't know one of JRR's poems. :nono: Doh!!! I am put to shame....go on, shoot me now. :twitch:

I think I had better go back to my cave...... *sigh*

OT: The idea of you and swabby in kilts makes my poor heart flutter. *grins*

*mumbles from the rear of her cave....'Hope everyone has a lovely day.'*

Rosie and her constant companion, Dracella. xxxxx

BelleBayard
Send Message
on: January 17, 2006 03:36
Hmm... Interesting that Faramir's mother faded. Was she Elven or had Elven blood? Wasn't her name Finduilas or something like that? And why did she fade with two sons to live for? Was it Denethor's use of the Palantir that pulled him away from her?

Rose et: , I had no idea either that was a JRRT poem except that the poster said so! I haven't got ALL the writings he ever did, but am doing my best to collect most of them. Heh... :hug:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2006 04:54
If anyone here should feel inadequate for lack of Tolkien knowledge, it should be me. I have not read nearly as much of his works as most of you have. Rose has impressed me many times with her vast knowledge on numerous subjects, so Rosie, don't fret over A few small details. It is probably A case of your cup of knowledge being so full that it just overflowed A little, that's all.

On the subject of our possible gathering......It is all good and fine if we can select A location where there are ME type festivities going on, but that is not at all essential from my point of view. I would be quite content to just look into the eyes and hear the voices of friends who I've previously known only by their written words. Middle Earth is alive and well inside each of us, and our mere coming together in one place would create A more genuine ME atmosphere than any commercial venture could.
I can imagine A large rustic hall with plenty of seating and tables, perhaps in A rural area, as being ideal. We would want to watch the movies, so there would need to be some kind of theater or at the very least, A large-screen TV. Dining facilities and comfortable rooms nearby would be A must. For those who wouldn't be able to make it, I would like to make home movies that could be sent to them. Perhaps we could have A conference call with the missing members.
It would be A difficult thing to arrange, I'm sure, but we might be able to pull it off if we're serious about it. Ideas?
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email