Register

<< First23456Last >>
Author Topic:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part V
on: January 20, 2006 07:52
I'm officially opting out of the "exchange phone numbers" thing. I'm sorry that I failed to recognise the fact that my gender was going to be A problem. Swabby
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: January 20, 2006 10:10
Say what? I didn't think gender had a thing to do with it. I'm rarely home during the day and with us spread out all over the planet, connecting via phone could be problematic. I remember a good friend trying to call to wish my hubby happy birthday from England. What we heard was a tiny voice waaaay off singing something faintly. Very frustrating. Via satellite we mostly got echos. Not good.

I don't any one of us ladies wish to exclude you in any way. It's our very diversity that makes this place the awesome meeting ground.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2006 03:38
I second that thought, swabby. I also am difficult to catch on the phone. I'll be glad to share my number or IM addy with anyone.
Rainy, stormy day outside. Perhaps it would be a good one to watch a little ROTK EE? Need a dose of vitamin V for heart health.:heart::heart::heart:

MT
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: January 21, 2006 04:26
Swabby, gender has nothing to do with the exchange. I would call anyone in the US because I have a phone plan that allows me to do that and it is not to expensive. I have no idea what the cost would be for me to call overseas but I know more than in the US. I still will send cards to my FOF friends overseas. So I think it is something else but not gender.

Cold and cloudy here today.

I wanted to share a humorous story with you. My daughter took my grandchildren to a restaurant to eat and my youngest grandson who is almost 3 took his straw and put it in the air and brought it down on the table and said you you can not pass. That's my boy

Have a good day.
Awelyn
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2006 05:57
I'm officially opting out of the "exchange phone numbers" thing. I'm sorry that I failed to recognise the fact that my gender was going to be A problem. Swabby

??!! I will also repeat that gender has nothing to do with anything in my little world, believe you me! My husband knows who I talk to and it doesn't bother him one little bit. He knows where I roost! :naughty: I for one have never gotten the impression that anyone's gender was a hamper to anything here. In fact, I've always loved the fact that we have representation from both sides. I would hate to lose that. If anyone would like to contact me...just give me a PM and I'd be happy to give you my contact information.

Lovely day, even if a bit nippy, here on the PoG. Too bad I have to stay inside and balance the checkbook! :cry: I HATE that job.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2006 06:20
I'd better explain myself or I'll be writing PM's from now on. It is not proper for me to ask any of you ladies for your phone number. It just isn't. Women calling other women is one thing, but A man calling A married woman is something else, especially from many husband's point of view. I don't want to cause problems for any of you, so there it is. There's A little bit more to it than that, but that's most of it. It's better if I back away in the interest of peace. Swabby
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2006 05:02
And a proper gentleman you are, swabby. You quality is showing and it is of the highest quality.

MT
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2006 05:35
Swabby-Thank you so much for your gentlemanly conduct and your desire to remain appropriate. Perhaps an exchange of IM listings might not be inappropiate? Just a thought. There are far too few true gentlemen in the world today. So many of us women have gotten so darned independent that we don't give them a chance to show good manners. I know I am guilty of that. However, when one does manage to "beat me to it" I always give the reward of a genuine (and it is genuine) smile and a thank you. It's refreshing when it occurs.

Thank you for the teacher admiration comments. That is always nice to hear as well. I think that most teachers will agree that it is much easier to teach the children of others than their own. It's a matter of proximity and the fact that students understand the codes of behavior for school. My class is certainly quite savvy in that area. They may only be 8 and 9 but they know when the cross the discipline line without being told.

On another note: I also work with cub scouts. I have three of my cubs in my class. We held our Pinewood Derby today and what fun we had. The oldest boy and they youngest boy tied for first place. It was interesting. We had great cars. One was a hummer. There were 8 boys in all. Creative youngsters!!!

Next year I think I'll make one though and call it the Gandalf-mobile.

Awelyn- please move your grandson to my area of Idaho when he is ready for third grade. I'd give my right arm for a Lord of the Rings fan in my class. I only have one this year. Most of them preferred Narnia and Chicken Little. (I didn't even see the latter.)

Well I'm going to toddle off to a few other errands and searches on the WWW. Good night to all.
Brandywine
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2006 03:14
Hi everyone. Belated Birthday greetings to Magoleth. Hope you had a fine day. I usually mange to take the day off and spend it doing what i want - readings, long walk ,watching LOTR, working on a novel I started to write years ago, hot tub, full body massage - or some combo thereof.

I've had a busy week, so not much time to chat with all of you, sad to say. Preparing, among other things, to run a dream interpretation workshop next weekend. Had to review my notes and handouts and assemble my resource books. i love working with dreams, so it will be fun.

Have been following the discussion about phone calls, IM and chat and so on. Can't say that I would be able to participate much. Work all day and am often out in the evenings. Don't know my way around IM at all and don't spend a lot of time at the computer. For the moment I actually prefer to take my time with responses. I hope that those of you who want to do this will have a blast.

Swabby I hate to think of you being left out because of our antiquated habits of jealousy and territoriality. How about arranging a specific time via PM so your FoF contact is expecting the call? That would let her prepare any family members who need help with this concept. You're a vital part of the liveliness and quality of this group and I would NOT want to see you excluded for ANY reason!

“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2006 06:39
I would be glad (and eager) to talk with any of you on the phone, but it would have to be your idea and at A mutually agreed upon time. I don't know anything about "instant messaging" and such. I would be glad to communicate with any of you by Email, also, if you wish.
Please don't make too much of me being any kind of "gentleman" because I'm probably A poor example. I tend to heap attention and kindness on people as long as they're nice to me, but watch out if they hurt my feelings or insult me. I can turn cold as A fish with the flip of A switch, which is not how we should be. It's easy to be nice to someone who's nice to you, but very difficult to "love your enemy", or it certainly is for me. A true gentleman would be better than that, I think.
I still find it puzzling that so many women are members here. I noticed no obvious imbalance at all between the sexes when I was watching the LotR movies in the theaters, so why should there be such A difference now? Is there some reason why more women than men would embrace this Tolkien world and want to hold onto it and re-live it long after the world-wide surge in popularity has diminished? I guess I must be like Mrs Hogwallop......looking for answers. Swabby

Wants to wake up, period
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: January 22, 2006 07:44
I've been so caught up with real life and the admin duties that I've completely missed any talk about exchanging IM id:s and phone numbers. I'm afraid that I would be fairly hard to reach by phone at times - I simply don't want to be available 24/7 except in special cases - but, regarding IM, I even might happen occasionally to be online at the same time with some others here.

Yippee, probably today is the last really cold day for now, and tomorrow we should be back at more human temperatures.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2006 06:04
Neenime, I probably over-reacted A bit, as I sometimes do. I don't exactly think I'm being left out because of my gender, but the rules do have to be A little bit different for me. Please, everyone enjoy yourselves and don't let me inhibit you in any way, really. Swabby

Wants to wake up each day.
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2006 09:18
A quick hello to all my friends. I had the wonderful pleasure of talking with Awelyn the other day. She is every bit as sweet on the phone as she is in here.

Lots of phone calls to make and still unpacking here. I'm supposed to stay off my feet as my one foot has a swollen lump on the side of it, but it is difficult for me to sit still, especially when there are things to do. I am going to go and make a Dr. appointment since Elrond is nowhere near here, lol.

Hubby will be home soon so gotta make this quick. Hope you all have a wonderful day! I'll be back soon and catch up on everything. Love and hugs! :heart::love: :hug:
awelyn418
Send Message
on: January 23, 2006 01:01
Aw,Mith you make me blush :blush: . What did you do to your foot? I had a great time talking to you too. Be careful ok.
I also had a phone conversation with a male member of FOF who gave me his number before he opted out. It was a lovely though short conversation with him. I am so glad I get to know some of you better by phone and others by letter and the Internet.

Brandywine, I don't think my daughter will move but she considered it a compliment that you wanted him.

What a beautiful day in southeast Mo. Sun is shining and it is 5o degrees. Tomorrow it is supposed to be even warmer.I can't believe it.

I have three pages and I will be finished with the Sil. :disco: I liked the last part better than the beginning. It was so good to step back in Middle-Earth again. I still say Peter Jackson should do parts of the Sil for a prequel to the Rings movies and then direct the Hobbit.

I just got home from work but will have to go back out and do one more home visit with a client.

I hope I get to drop by later.
Awelyn :heart:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2006 04:47
:disco: I'm a happy camper! Physical therapy is going so well that my therapist told me that she thinks that this should be the last week for me! Yay! I go to the pain clinic on Friday for another check up, but I'm thinking that I probably won't have to have another cortizone shot in my neck as things are feeling pretty good. I do get some twinges in the C-7 when I bend my head w-a-a-a-y down and at an angle, but gosh, just how many times will I be doing that? So I'm keeping all my fingers and toes crossed that maybe this week I'll be cut loose to be among the "healthy" of the world. Physically that is, I make no guarantees about mentally.

Congratualtions, Awelyn, on making it through The Sil. I made it through but only by listening to it while I painted in a closet. I'm bound and determined to finish it someday without benefit of audio books. It is one of my goals to have The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion all on CD. I sure like listening to books on my commute to and from work.

Well, must do some searches for school. We're writing myths in my 7th and 8th grade English class. Amazingly, they seem pretty stoked about it. Maybe my enthusiasm for writing brought about by the FoF writers' group has come out. Hope so.

Blessings of the Valar to you all!
Scots

[Edited on 24/1/2006 by scots56]
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2006 05:31
Sorry to hear about your foot, Mith. Hope it feels better soon. Do whatever you need to make it feel better. I'd send over my ranger if I could. You know the hands of the king are the hands of a healer.:heart: They surely would make me feel better.

What a good patient you are scots. No more pain in the neck for you! Well, maybe none from your accident. Bet the kids may bring an ache or two if you let them.

Talking with a male FoF'er, awelyn? Tell us all about it. Did he talk in rhymes, was he laughable, did he make you smile? We wants to know, yes we does!

Must head over to chat with one of the Middle aged crazies. I feel an intervention is needed. One of our gals has met a man for the first time this past weekend and is now "in love" and ready to move him in her house. You'd think a mature woman would have more common sense. Wish me luck. Hope I don't lose a friend.

MT
Magoleth
Faerie Godmother of Nienna & Weeper of Nienna
Send Message
on: January 23, 2006 08:04
I'm back.....!

Hello all and thank you so much for all your lovely greetings. I had a wonderful 60th Birthday party on Saturday with many wonderful surprises and people turning up that I had hoped for but not expected. Rose was there and had a lot of fun and stayed the night with me. We have a wonderful friendship and all because of Tolkien. We meet often and go places together and have fun.

BerethEdhellen - Howard Shore conducting the ord of the Rings symphony is indeed a heart wrenching experience and after I saw him at the Royal Albert Hall in London (my treat to myself after major surgery) I queued outside the stage door and got his autograph on the programme. What a lovely, unassuming man he is. As far as I know The Lord of hte Rings Symphony has not been recorded - yet! I don't know what they are waiting for but I wish they would hurry up.

More music to buy - wonderful but I wish there were more movies. Lost scenes, outtakes anything really.

WHY MORE WOMEN THAN MEN? I think it is because most men fans are timid at being "outted" as Lord of the Rings Fans. Maybe it is not a macho thing to do. I don't know and yet I know a few who quietly admit they are fans.

I have Hotmail and talk to USA quite often although it is bedtime for us in England. If RPing can be done by Hotmail then why not a get together. I will share my hotmail address with anyone interested although telephoning is so damned expensive in this country.

Love to all and Swabby that includes you too!
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2006 12:33
Scots: Soooo glad to hear you are practically, fully recovered. Well done you. I know you had needles and physio, but it's also in the mind, don't you think. And it's such a lovely feeling when the pain stops.

Mith: What did you do to your foot? Hope it was or is nothing too serious. How lovely that you spoke to Awelyn.

I have spoken to several people that I now know through CoE and it is a great experience to hear their voices.

I have the pleasure of having met two people from CoE. One from across the pond and one here. The latter, on a regular basis .. my friend Magoleth. :love:

Magoleth's 60th was a great party. I par-tayed like it was 1999!! Lol!! I *love* dancing, modern or old time. A good time was had by all.

Awelyn: I take it the man in question that you spoke briefly too, was as lovely as he seems. Lucky you to speak to each other.

As Magoleth has said, telephoning is an expensive item. E-mailing is good and IMing which is like being on the phone, but with no sound.

Oooh, thinking about Scots mentioning audio books. I have the BBC dramatisation of Lord of the Rings from the 1960's on my MP3 Sony Walkman. Michael Hordern is Gandalf and Ian Holm is *Frodo*. He sounds soooo young. Lol!! It's wonderful. I'd love to ask him how he felt to be chosen to play Bilbo in the movies, after playing Frodo all those years ago.

Anyway, enough chitchat for now .... *eek!! Orcs coming and we don'ts wantsss them to finds usssss sneaking, does we preciousssssss....oh no, we doessssn't*

HUGE HUGS for everyone.

Aaaaarggghhh, it hurtssssss us, yes it hurtssss us....get away stupid fat orcsessssss. *giggles* :wave:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2006 02:37
It is true that I received A phone call from A most delightful and engaging lady yesterday. She had A more upbeat and joyous tone than I had imagined, but she said I sounded exactly as she thought I would. At any rate, I expect we both have A more complete picture of one another now.

Mith, those foot problems can be very painful, I know. I hope it's nothing serious and that it will go away soon.

It was nice to hear from you again, Brandywine, and I enjoyed your somewhat long post.

MT must be very careful about tinkering with her friend's romance. (Even if her friend isn't thinking straight) When Swabby has tried that he ended up being the "bad guy". Just remember MT, if you draw that sword, you'll have to use it, so try not to whack off anything very significant.

Scots, your clean bill of health makes us all happy.

Magoleth, happy belated birthday to you. Thankyou for your love and I send mine to you as well.

Rose, you're beautiful as always. Well, it's time for Daddy bear to go wake up baby bear and get him off to school. Later, my fine featherless friends. Swabby
awelyn418
Send Message
on: January 24, 2006 04:12
Scots I am so glad you are feeling better and no more shots in the neck how wonderful.

Mag welcome back we missed you. So, you and Rose partied the night away. It sounds like you both had a great time. Howard Shore's autograph you lucky woman.

Rose you always give me a smile with the Gollum impression .It was very lovely talking to Swabby. We talked about FOF and how much you all mean to us. We talked about how in our towns in our old movie Theater there was a room designated for mother's to bring their babies called the crying room. It had huge glass windows for the mom's to see the movie but the great part was it was sound proof you could not hear the baby cry. It was so nice. Now you find moms and their crying babies two rows up from you when you go to see a movie. It is very inconsiderate so I vote to bring back the crying room.

Mith he made me smile and laugh. I also remember talking with a friend with male problems. I agreed with her on every thing unkind and ugly thing she said about her man and we they made up she would not speak to me. So, now if a friend wants to talk I just listened and give general advice. I wish you luck.

Well, daddy bear I hope your cub was not to grouchy.

I have to run to get to work on time. I'll drop by later. Have a good day/night.
Awelyn:heart:
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: January 24, 2006 07:15
Just a flyby post to say hello...

Great to hear that your neck is so much better, Scots! :disco:

Welcome back, Magoleth - sounds that you had a great birthday!

Mith, take it easy if you've hurt your foot.

I probably won't be much around for the rest of the week due to real life matters; Thursday and Friday my evenings are taken, and I'll be away from home on Saturday and Sunday. See you next Monday, if I don't have time to drop in tomorrow! :wave:
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2006 12:35
Hi everyone. :wave: I would like to apologize for not being here. I have been so busy with work and charity that I come home and collapse. I have had little time to check out my emails.

I am glad that everyone is okay health-wise. I to tried to quit smoking but it didn't work. I don't smoke a whole lot. May 6 -8 cigs a day.

awelyn: Just to let you know that they are making a movie about Robert Kennedy called "Bobby". It has Elijah Wood in it. He is playing William. Not sure who that is is. Seen this info on IMDB. It's being directed by Emilio Estevez, the actor.

MLK made a great impression on my life after I seen the movie "Roots". I have never been prejudice in my life. It was the way I was brought up. I was 6 years old when Robert was shot.

Loved all the poems that were written. Some made me laugh.

Meeting other FoF: Would love to. I think a Ren-Faire would be great. Or a place where we could play LoTR games all week long.

swabby: I agree with MT that you have the Highest Quality.

Magoleth: Happy Birthday. :cheers: Sorry it's a bit late.

Talking about my favorite character in the book: I think I would have to say Frodo. Tolkien writes him as being like a child who has never known the world except through the eyes of Bilbo. Then when he is on his own adventure, he becomes a hero. He grows up alot with Sam's help. As Galadriel says in the movie: "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." Through all his struggles and mishaps, he wanted to keep Smeagol close. He told Sam to go away but I think in the long run he was also telling Sam to stay close. Frodo would not have ended his relationship with Sam so soon. Frodo did not trust Smeagol so easily. I could go on but I won't.

I seem to recall someone talking about Meatloaf the singer one time. I just heard on MuchMusic here in Canada that he will be playing Jack Black's father in an upcoming movie called: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365830/. Look here.

I'm debating on getting the cd's on book. I have heard some books on tape and they were not following the book. Do they follow the books exactly? These would be great when and if I took another long bus trip. Maybe to PoG? Who knows!

By the way: I would like to thank Bellebayard for taking the bull by the horns and getting another thread going. I was wondering how long we were going to go on that other one.

Well I should go. I will keep a better eye on the Internet.

namarie

[Edited on 24/1/2006 by balrog]
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2006 01:10
Well it is done. I've shared my concerns with my friend about her "new love", hopefully in a considerate and caring way. I will be there for her if it goes well (I pray) or ill. That's what friends are for. Don't think I've severed any ties of friendship, swabby, but we'll see.

Know what you mean about friends not wanting to keep the connection after you've "been through the valley of despair". Early in my marriage many friends dislliked my husband (he really was a jerk at times) and told me repeatedly to leave. I wasn't ready and so I didn't. And so they couldn't remain my friend..all except my cousin. She's been there beside me through all sorts of problems, even though I didn't do what she thought I should. I'll say that my marriage is the best it's ever been and now my cousin and hubby are very close friends. God works in mysterious ways.

How wonderful to have a birthday party and have Rose there, Magoleth. Bet you gals had a blast! Who feels like coming to LA (Lower Alabama, now) in late March? Ara-baby will be wearing his party hat.

One of the custodians came to my room today after school to tell me that one of the county workmen (the YOUNG one) noticed me while he was eating lunch in the cafeteria and I brought my children through the line. The guy said that I was "hot"! The custodian told him that I was 60...the big liar. The young man said that I was a very pretty woman.
Now how did I miss out on all of this going on? :dizzy:
I feel flattered, even if I do attract the custodial, construction-worker type. Where are the rangers?????
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2006 02:36
I'm debating on getting the cd's on book. I have heard some books on tape and they were not following the book. Do they follow the books exactly? These would be great when and if I took another long bus trip. Maybe to PoG? Who knows!

Balrog, it really depends upon whether or not you get the abridged or unabridged version of the book. Abridged versions will not have all the book, the unabridged will. I ALWAYS go for the unabridged. I was going to buy The Hobbit at Christmas, but all that Barnes and Nobel had a the time was the abridged version, so I "let them pass, let them pass." Or is that "pass them by, pass them by?"

MT, lucky you! I don' think any young man would consider me "hot" in any way shape or form, and I'm nowhere near 60...yet. Oh well. At least the spousal unit does which is all the counts in my book.

Oops, the clock is ticking away here. Must get on the stick and get to school. :cry:

[Edited on 25/1/2006 by scots56]
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2006 05:20
In regards to A woman's desire-ability and the power over men that I believe many of you have, I would like to bring this subject forth for discussion.
It has long been my belief that many women possess extraordinary powers or abilities that men simply don't have. We've all heard of "women's intuition" and have seen it work, so I think we can just accept that as fact. Most of you gals have it and we men know it.
Then there is this "look" that virtually all women and some men can do when their spouse has said or done something extremely displeasing. I do not consider this to be A "special" ability, since most of us can do it and it is easily explainable.
There is another "look" that some women can do that I would definitely like to know more about, however. I can only recall having seen this amazing phenomena twice in the last ten years, but I wish I could experience it every day. The first time it happened to me, it was in A grocery store, but the most recent example happened at A medical clinic. A nurse who I'd never met, and for what reason I know not, gave me this man-melting, stupefying, completely dis-arming, walk in front of A bus, your wish is my command "look". She turned her head slightly to one side, did something with her eyes and grinned ever so slightly out of one corner of her mouth, and BOOM! I did't know my own name or why I was there, and I didn't care. I just knew that I'd been hit with 50,000 volts of something that I really, really liked. It had to be some kind of very powerful magic to do what it did to this old guy who is way past his teens. I was back in that same clinic A few weeks later and I saw that same nurse walk by, but she didn't look at me, and I saw her as she really is, without the mind-altering influence of the "look". She was very plain-looking. No longer did I see Venus and Sophia Loren and Jennifer Connelly all rolled into one. She was just an ordinary looking nurse.
I know some of you ladies have this power. I suspect that whatever it is, MT has A black belt in it. Please tell me, is it something you're born with or is it learned? Can all of you do it? Is there A limit to how many times A day you can turn us poor hapless slobs into jelly? C'mon, I wanna know! Swabby
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: January 25, 2006 05:39
LOL... Sometimes I believe *we* don't know it. Who knows what was going through her mind when she gave you that look? She might have just been trying to be friendly. *shrug* I do it to my hubby and am not even aware of it. And I've been told by other men I have "it" though what "it" is escapes me. Hehehehe... Maybe it's just being comfortable with being a woman and to tell the truth, I've seen it on men as well. Do we release pheromones when this happens? Dunno, but good possibility. There are so many layers to our relationships that have barely been scratched that until we do more research on it we will never truly know.

MTMS: Nothing wrong with the way he reacted. I'd be flattered. I think sometimes those folks are more open to the nuances of femininity than the more cerebral types (or at least more willing to admit it). Still, as swabby noted, sometimes it's just the right place at the right time.
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2006 06:32
"The Look" - believe I've heard a song with lyrics "She's got the look" but can't remember it all. Swabby, I don't think it is totally a gender thing as I have experienced it in the past. So perhaps there are guys that have mastered it as well. The look Aragorn has when he sees his true love again- won't say her name as there are many among us who feel it is meant for us. As for us ladies, there are many "looks". Like the ones we give our children when they are on the verge of misbehaving. (Or husbands...same thing, lol.) Any other ideas on looks?

MT, you should feel flattered. I think those things happen more than we sometimes realize but we gals just don't always notice.

As for advice, I know what you mean Awelyn. Although I've always been too stubborn and pretty much end up doing my own thing. But most importantly, I would not repeat anything negative said about someone to that person. As MT said, there have also been times in my relationship when friends have said leave him, but I did not repeat it and did what I felt was best in my heart. A true friend understands and accepts you for what you are and loves you regardless of which choice you make.

Balrog, have you played LOTR Third Age? I really enjoyed that one.

Today is much colder and we have a little snow. I'm ready for Spring/Summer but there is still a good bit of winter left. I think of Faramir's words in ROTK movie where he says "I do not believe this darkness will endure". That is how I view the gray winter days.
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2006 07:31
Hi everyone

MT I haven't yet made good use of my round tooit but it is good to have it anyway.

Swabby Hi, I don't know if women are even aware they are doing that look but I am sure your friendly face captured her attention.

Happy Burns night everyone (the poet not something you get for going too near a fire). If you can find it and it has a glossary attached I recommend you read A Mans a Man for a' That, one of his best poems in my opinion see if it reminds you of some of Martin Luther King's 'I have a dream' speech. I am not going to be eating haggis however as I don't like it very much. However I do like neeps and tatties. (Swedes and taters) which are the traditional vegetables eaten with it.

Anyway love to everyone and in a traditional Scottish blessing

Lang mae yer lum reek.

Love

HT:heart:
awelyn418
Send Message
on: January 25, 2006 08:22
Hey if anyone knows how to give the look let me know. I would really like to wow my husband. I think you should feel flattered MTMS. You go girl.

Swabby I need to think on that question.

Hi HT :wave: Happy Burn night to you. Lang mae yer lum reek.I would not be eating haggis either. What is Swedes?

Mith, how is your foot? Cold and snow well Spring is not far away.

Hey, Belle and I agree with you that I have seen a look from a guy that had the same effect that the nurse had on Swabby.

Home for lunch and I have to fly.
Bye for now.
Awelyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2006 09:25
HT: I haven't heard that saying in a long time. Here's tae us, wha's like us. I love haggis and tatties, but not over keen on neeps, unless they are grated in a nice chicken broth.

Awelyn: Swedes are a root vegetable something akin to turnips.

Swabby: Women may have the 'look', but men are very capable at giving a girl the 'eye'. Lol!!

Weatherwise, it's pretty cold here in the UK. It was -6 the other night, not cold by a lot of the world's standards, but cold enough.

TTFN

Rose xx

HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2006 10:13
Hi again

Rose great that you understand me! If anyone is interested in an explanation of the poem A Mans a Man for a' That go here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/history/burnsnight/poetry/guide_mans_a_man.shtml

Love HT:heart:
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2006 11:38
HT: My dad was born in Beith, near Largs and my granny lived in Old Cumnock. I spent every school summer holiday up in Scotland and when I was older too, until she passed away.

I always came back to Manchester with a strong Scottish burr. :love:

:heart:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2006 04:16
Were you the guy in the grocery store, swabby? I think "the look" is something that Belle alluded to as confidence wrapped up in fun-spiritedness. I also believe that the "beholder" has to be open to "the look"
I was shopping in a local grocery store last year, humming a song as I looked through the frozen vegetables. I saw someone out of the corner of my eye and thought it was one of the employees. I gave him a big smile and said hi. It was then that I realized that he wasn't one of the regulars. No one was hurt, so I checked out and went to my car. As I was walking out, he did as well. He started up a conversation with me. He gave me his business card in case I needed any electrical work done. I have that card in my wallet. When I'm not feeling good about the way I look I take out that card and remind myself that somone thought I was okay not too very long ago.

I believe that you are right, Mith. Alot of folks probably admire us, but we just don't notice. That's a good motivation to slow down and not be so preoccupied.

Love that Irish blessing HT. Here's a shortened redneck blessing : Yee haw!!!

Men do have a special kind of look, Rose. The V-man used it several times in the movie, once when looking at Andruil. :love: Guess you are one who has seen "the eye".

Why don't we go to the mall awelyn and practice giving "the look" to unsuspecting men as they walk by? Wouldn't that be fun? If their wives got mad or they became interested (yeah, right) we could say we were conducting sociological experiments. We may even learn something!
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2006 06:11
Hello, everyone! :wave:
Oooh, thinking about Scots mentioning audio books. I have the BBC dramatisation of Lord of the Rings from the 1960's on my MP3 Sony Walkman. Michael Hordern is Gandalf and Ian Holm is *Frodo*. He sounds soooo young. Lol!! It's wonderful. I'd love to ask him how he felt to be chosen to play Bilbo in the movies, after playing Frodo all those years ago.

I'll second Rose in regards to the BBC dramatization. It is fantastic! (Well, with the exception of some lame sound effects.) I received it on CD for Christmas a year ago, and have listened to it a half dozen times since. Although it leaves out Tom Bombadil and Ghan-buri-Ghan, it is otherwise very faithful to the book. (Are you certain it's from the '60s, Rose? My sources say it was first broadcast in 1981.)

I was recently checking out photos on the Hobbit Picnic site and found a very nice one of Old Tom and his pretty lady:

(Yes, it's the real me this time. )
awelyn418
Send Message
on: January 25, 2006 06:37
MTMS, I don't know if I still have the Look but I will gladly watch you and take pictures.

OTB, you look like you and your lady could dance any minute.

Rose and Ht it has always ben a dream of mine to visit Scotland and England and Ireland. It sounds lovely.

Well, I am off to bed I am having computer trouble.
Awelyn
<< First23456Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email