<< First1415161718
Author Topic:
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part V
on: March 13, 2006 03:52
Dear MTMS,
I did not blow away but the weather has turned cold.

BTW, the Fire Marshall and the arson squad has officially called my sister's fire accidental. It was a bad electric outlet in the office next to the closet where the liquor was stored. She did have insurance. So,I guess everything will be okay now.

Rose, thank you for the new words. You to HT and Neenime. I have missed you HT.

Swabby You take care of yourself to because you sure don't need the flu. Some precautions and clean.clean. I stayed in my room away from my family. I had them spray antiseptic and I cleaned doorknobs and threw tissues away. I was the only one who got sick in my family. Of course you need to take care of your poor son.

I had my shoulder x-rayed today. It is really hurting. I am having spasms in the muscles in the right shoulder blade area and my right chest. I have called and the therapists said don't do certain exercises and tomorrow I will have a session. I am taking motrin and putting heat on which helps.

Have a good night.
:heart:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2006 04:09
Thanks for your concerns about me getting my son's flu, Awelyn, MT and others. My doctor already thought of that and has me taking "Tamaflu", since I'm one of those high-risk individuals because of my heart.
Our thoughts and prayers must be with MT as her minor surgery approaches.
I have A horror story about muscle spasms in the back which I won't bore you all with, except to say that I have A good idea what your pain is like, Awelyn. I hope you find some relief very soon.

I believe Rose is right about the sentence that reads the same from either direction. I told you she was all-knowing. I looked up "anagram" in the dictionary, Neenime, and my foggy early morning brain couldn't quite comprehend the definition. This might be an example of an "anagram", but I'm not sure: "Latter rat rotten hut worst ohm herd wave toe grant mow's hut wind thin bit bat woofer junked oust ann sand boot, time gong toe heat two!" Translation--"Little red riding hood was on her way to grandma's house when the big bad wolf jumped out and said boo, I'm going to eat you!" Please correct me if I'm wrong, Neenime.

A very disturbing thing happened here last week and it is currently A major news item. The police were on the lookout for A bad guy from another state when they came upon someone who matched the description walking down the freeway. Several cops surrounded him and started shouting orders at him, telling him to lay down on the ground, etc. The young man became very aggitated and wouldn't follow their instructions, so they shot and killed him. He was not their bad guy, wasn't armed, and turned out to be A mentally-challenged young man who had wandered away from his home. He was evidently confused and frightened by the police with their guns and all their yelling. A tradgedy for sure, and one that should not have happened. I wander what ever happened to non-lethal means of apprehension. Swabby

I decided to come back and try to counteract my bummer ending with A little joke. Referring back to the "Little Red Riding Hood" story, You know what little miss Hood said after the BB Wolf said "Boo, I'm going to eat you?" In Swabby's version of that fairy tale, she says "Eat, eat, eat! Isn't anybody interested in sex anymore?"

[Edited on 14/3/2006 by swabby]

[Edited on 14/3/2006 by swabby]
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2006 05:20
Speaking of malaprops, I remember one I committed when I was a teenager. I was at my friend's house and said, "That's the best thing since baked bread". His father corrected me saying, "Isn't that supposed to be sliced bread." Ever quick on my feet I replid, "You have to bake it before you can slice it."

I am taking motrin and putting heat on which helps.
I'm sorry your shoulder is ailing you, awelyn. Are you certain you're supposed to be putting heat on it? I know it feels better, at least temporarily, but I thought you were supposed to be ice on something like that.

I know I applied heat to my stiff and spasming neck, and while it felt good at the time it only made it worse. I'm still regularly icing my neck, and don't see that changing any time soon.
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2006 08:31
OTB: One treatment for muscle problems or spasms is 'hot and cold' treatment. My back locked totally, caused eventually from a very, very old riding injury. I had treatment from a chryropractor who told me the 'hot and cold' remedy. Simply, a bag of frozen peas and a hot water bottle. Five minutes of each for about half an hour. My significant other delighted in this torture, let me tell you. Lol!!!!

swabby: Please follow the doctor's orders, we don't want you poorly. :hug: And you are right about the anagram.

In respect of the tragic tale of the young man, I suppose we are lucky in the UK that our police are still not armed, except in extenuating circumstances, but for how long I wonder.

Your joke creased me up, my friend. Lol!!

Well, I am off to see my daughter. Take care everyone. :wave:

Rose xxx
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2006 09:35
Hi everyone

Awelyn thanks for missing me. MT glad you liked the God joke.

Swabby do take care we don't want you getting ill.

The reason a misheard lyric is called a Mondegreen is that there is a folksong called the Bonnie Earl of Murray and there is a line about him being killed and they "laid him on the green" but it was misheard as the "Bonnie Earl of Murray and the Lady Mondegreen".

On my short walk to work this morning I was thinking about my twin passions Chocolate and Rangers and I came up with a little list - Anyone got any to add?

Rangers V Chocolate

Unless you are very lucky a Ranger won’t melt if you touch him with warm hands.
It’s easier to hide chocolate in a drawer when your Mum is coming round.
Chocolate is easier (but not as much fun) to unwrap.
You won’t get as many odd looks unwrapping chocolate in public as you would unwrapping a Ranger.
Chocolate won’t complain if you stuff it in your bag to take to work.
You won’t find a Ranger sitting temptingly on your supermarket shelf (NB if you do please let me know at once!)
You probably would share chocolate with your friends.
Biting chocolate is less likely to result in injury.

Hope you like these

Love and Hugs :heart:

HT

swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2006 10:25
A little boy from Arkansas had moved to Texas and was walking A pretty girl named Consuela home from school. They took A short-cut across A field and came to A wooden fence.The little boy held her books while she climbed over the top railing and plopped down on the other side. "I thank you, senor" said the polite little girl, smiling through the fence. "I think I seen yours, too!" exclaimed the blushing boy from Arkansas.

What can I say about chocolate? A box of it presented to the right lady might get A fellow treated like A Ranger.

I know A good "quick on his feet" joke that I'll tell sometime, OT.

"Oh I wish I was A little chocolate Ranger, that is what I'd truly like to be-e-e...." :heart:Swabby
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2006 04:03
Oh, Swabby, everyone's already in love with you!

Awelyn, we have these disposable heating thingies here called Therma care. They have some of those chemicals in them that heat up when they are unwrapped. They stay warm for a long time and are Very convenient for those pesky sore muscles. Actually they are quite good on really cold nights when the DH or resident ranger is traveling to keep the feet warm. I buy a big box of them at Costco for just such purposes and the DH thinks I am totally extravagant and a little looney---nothing new about that!

MTMS and Swabby, thought of you when the tornados were blowing through.

I really need some spring break badly! Unfortunately, we are going to visit friends in FL and the DH and Mr. Friend will spend the entire week talking computer guts while Mrs. Friend will be at work---I think I'm taking the Trilogy with me and re-reading it! My idea of a FL vacation includes at the commercial says the sunshine and palm trees......and the white beach sand and the ocean---Atlantic or Gulf, I don't care

Happy almost Wednesday!

Sindy
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
awelyn418
Send Message
on: March 14, 2006 04:10
Hi,Iam putting heat on because my therapist puts heat on and it is a rotator cuff problem not muscle.After 2 sessions I am so much better.My monitor is not working and I am using my daughter's laptop.It is hurting my shoulder but I will be back tomorrow.Have a good night.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2006 06:03
I watched "A History of Violence" on DVD last night. I thought Viggo's acting was fine, but there were some problem areas, in my opinion. The Howard Shore background music sounded way too much like it did in the LotR, and the story itself wasn't realistic. I couldn't buy the way his wife and son rejected him and thought their behavior was totally inappropriate. After so many years of him being an honest, caring and peaceful man, I can't believe they would have turned on him so visciously, especially after he had saved several lives, including theirs. I really liked Viggo in "Hidalgo" and would like to see him get more roles of that caliber.

I know my jaw dropped when I overheard one of the girls at the movie rental place telling A customer over the phone, in regards to "A History of Violence", "He's that guy that was in Hidalgo" I guess she must be one of those very strange people who didn't watch the greatest movie of all time. There'll be no chocolate Rangers in her future.

How very sweet of you to say I'm loved, Sindy. I know you are loved by this group too.

If all goes well, my ex is supposed to drive up from Texas today, and she's bringing my grandaughter. The plan is that I'm going to get to keep her for A couple of days, and that's fantastic. The down-side is that I'll have to try to keep up with A five-year-old and feed and entertain her in addition to my other chores for A while. Of course I'm eager and more than willing to do it, but I know I'm likely to get pretty tired. Maybe Rose or Neenime could send some kind of "energy beams" my way.:love: Swabby
RiverWoman
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2006 09:38
Hello fello FOFs! I haven't been posting lately and just managed to read through the last few pages. Hope everyone is fine and healthy now.

We had 80 degrees over the weekend - got to open up the house for the first time in months, cleared out a lot of winter trash/leaves/sticks that had piled up in the yard. Now its cold and windy again, and may snow Friday!
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: March 15, 2006 09:55
Hello everybody! I've been back for a few days already, but haven't had much time to post.

Unfortunately, I'm not quite well either, but the headcold that I have is a little nuisance compared to the aches and pains of many of my fellow FoF:s. Hope you all will get better soon - I'll try and send good vibes your way.

Ugh, I hope that I'll be able to get back with more to say on the weekend. :dizzy:
awelyn418
Send Message
on: March 15, 2006 11:25
Hey everybody,
My monitor is dead I had to get another one. So, I am back. My shoulder feels great. I have 2 sessions a week and I have just had 2 sessions. It is wonderful. Thanks for all your concern and good wishes. I have to go to work I will be back later.
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2006 01:18
So glad your shoulder is better, awelyn. :love:

Morwin: Hope you feel better soon.

I am having one of my vertigo attacks at the moment. Kind of like a merry go round ride, without having to pay. Lol!! I start off in one direction and end up somewhere else. *grins*. Honest, it *is* vertigo. *giggles* I'll keep taking the tablets.

Here are your blue lights, swabby. :hug:

Have a lovely time with your granddaughter.

*wobbles off*

Take care and blessings.

Rose xxx
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2006 03:30
I am so glad that your shoulder feels better awelyn. I pray that you continue to improve.

for you HT- Rangers vs Chocolate

a ranger won't melt in your hand
a ranger is more helpful than chocolate when they're orcs about
a ranger "lasts" longer than chocolate; he's loyal forever
a ranger won't make you gain weight
a ranger can help you when you dont know how to get to your destination
a ranger (depending upon ranger of choice) tastes as good as chocolate

Thanks for thinking of me Sindy. I'm safe and sound. Here's hoping that your spring break has a little something more than what you imagine. Next time, come visit me and we'll do the beach thing, along with alot of LOTR stuff.

Have a wonderful time with your granddaughter, swabby. Give her a hug for me. My arms ache to hold my dear Joseph, Sammy and little Eleanor. God will give you the energy and whatever else you need to make the time with her be what it should be. Just having you there would be more than enough!

I love 80 degree temperature, riverwoman. We had some last week,but it's cooler now. Now snow down here. Lots of flowers in bloom and pollen in the air. Achoo!!

Hoping that you feel better, Morwin. Head colds can make you feel miserable. Be sure to get plenty of rest.

Now try to get your head on straight Rose. We wouldn't want you bouncing off the wall, or door or ceiling. Take care.

Tomorrow I'm off from school for my pre-op appointment. Think it'll be a good time to get my copy of A History of Violence.:love: Lotta good Viggo scenes there, friends. Think I'll spend some recoup time watching the V-man.:heart: And why not? You know the hands of the king are the hands of a healer. (Lay 'em on me, Ara-baby. I want to be healed!)

MT
awelyn418
Send Message
on: March 15, 2006 04:44
Hello I am back. I read the posts and laugh or smile and think what special people you are and how similar and yet different we are just like a family. When I could not get on my computer today I was frantic because I could not go to COE and be with my FOF buddies. My husband came through for me bless his heart.

Hello Riverwoman glad you are back. I would hate snow now I am all ready for Spring.

Morwin you take care of yourself. Here is a good vibe for you.
I hope you had a relaxing break.

MTMS, thank you. You take care of yourself. How long will you be off from school? I loved the Ranger versus the chocolate. I still would have chocolate with an Elf. Hello Elrond where are you?

Swabby have a great visit with your granddaughter. Does she take a nap during the day. Most of the time even a quiet time is in order Where you could rest by reading or playing games. My grandkids are coming this weekend too.

Sindy, have a relaxing time on your Spring break.

Rose ,how awful for you. You take care of yourself and I hope your pills start working quickly.

Good night everyone.

:heart:
faramirgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2006 07:25
This happen March 10th, 2006

Well at 6am there was banging on my door, so I get out of bed to answer the door. I open the door and even before I can get my eye adjusted they yell State Police and put a gun in my face. I am told to put my hands up so I did and then I was asked if anyone else is in the house and I said my daughter-in-law. Then I am asked where Scott is and I told them that he is out of the country for school. Well they come on in and start to search the house and gets to Nita's door and she has it locked and then he asked me why the door is lock, I said that she always locks her door. By then two more cops come in with guns drawn, the only cop that didn't have a gun out is the women. Well they get Nita out of the room and search it, the women asked when Scott will be back and I told her when the semester is over. She asked in May and Nita tells her June. Then she asked where he was and Nita tells her that he is in Australia. And I tell them unless they want to swim across the ocean that they are not going to get him until he gets back. Then I ask why they want him and they lady said that they will take it up with Scott. When the three men comes back they tell me that they have bought dope form this house. And I said while it was sold then without me knowing it because I don't want any drugs in this house and my kids knows this. And then the cop that put a gun to my face said that they bought dope from this house recently which to me recently is before a month. Then they ask me how long has he been gone and I tell them for a over a month. So unless they had bought dope from here in January, it did not happen recently as they said. (and January is not recently in my book) The cop that held the gun in my face told me not to have an attitude and I told him that if he was going to wake me up at 6am and put a gun in face to expect an attitude from me. I hate guns and I saw no reason to put a gun in face, they could see that I did not have a gun in my hands. Or did I see why it took four cops to come after one kid for selling dope. Then he tells me that when Scott gets back that I have to call them or the city poilce or I would be in trouble. Here is what I am going to do, when Scott calls Nita I am going to tell him that the State Police was here and what they are here for and that I don't want to be involve in this so it would be best that when he comes back to go somewhere where I do not know where he is. So that way I will be telling the truth when I say that I don't know where he is. My kids know how I feel about drugs and I have told them that if they get in trouble for drugs and goes to jail, do not call me. I will do nothing to help them get out or help them in any other way.

Update

I have talk with a few lawyers and they all say that I have a case but since I might not get enough money from the State Police they will not take the case. They had only a arrest warrant for Scott which I did not see, they did not have a search warrant, how I found out was that I called the State Police and asked. The women that I had talked to said that the search was okay because I did not ask them to leave. Well I even knew that was wrong and had two lawyers even tell me that was illegal. I know that there are exception to the warrantless search and none of them applied in this case. So they took me not saying anything and took it as a silent consent to search, they had a gun in my face. Dr. Lucko told me that I should call Frankfort and talk with the headquarters of the State Police and put in my complaint about how things were handled here, because putting my complaint here, they are more then likely to throw it away as soon as I walk out the door.

Some one that I did not know came over and told us that our cat just got hit, will I knew that it was Kane as frisky was laying on my table. I asked her if Kane was still alive and she said no. So we went out and Nita just broke down in the street in front of our house, I got as far as to see Kane's back and all the blood on his back and I could not look any more. The girl that came and told us said that she would take care of Kane and bury him for us as I half walked and half carried Nita back into the house. After an hour of crying (she really loved Kane) she went to bed, I am sure she is still crying and my heart is breaking for her. I loved Kane too, and Scott is going to be so upset and sad when he finds out that Kane is dead. The car hit Kane hard, so it was going to fast and this area has lots of kids and one day some dumb person is going to kill a kid a then all heck is going to break loose. The cops are at the end of the road and they even drive to fast down this street. This all Nita needed after Friday and now her kitty is killed what the heck is going to happen to us next.

[Edited on 16/3/2006 by faramirgirl]
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2006 03:49
HI everyone. My goodness, this working for a living is really interfering with my social life. I was away at a workshop on Tuesday and yesterday was just non-stop action. I am tired and glad that the weekend is almost here.

faramirgirl whjat an aweful experience, You're gutsy for telling them off. That was clearly an abuse of force.

So sorry to hear about the mentally challenged young man. It's a risk that many people with mental disabilities face. They are easily stressed and confused. In a crisis situation, with people yelling and being all about controlling the situation, that can be a bad combination. It's ahrd to get through to some police that one doesn''t ahve to be gorilla-like in order to be effective. We had an incident here recently where police came down too heavly on a troubled young man. Fortunately it was "only" an emotional battering ythat he received , but still entirely unnecessary for the situation. *sigh*.

Glad to hear that our local force is trying to hire more police candidates who have some higher education - that at least gives some people some critical thinking skills, exposure to other cultures and situations and the sense that there are multiple explanations to a situation. It might give them a few more communication skills besides yelling orders and waving firearms.

I think the British model makes a lot of sense. And still far fewer deaths proportionally (police OR civilians) than in other jurisdictions. "As ye sow, so shall ye reap.........."

BTW, are any of you fans of the series THE COMMANDER? Amanada Burton, of SILENT WITNESS plays the lead role of a police comander in a tough and very male-dominated police force. I think she's great and the series is also very well done - intelligent drama, tense, well acted and without the need for constant sexuality and violence that North AMerican TV shows dish out. It's not a good show wihtout the requisite number of skin-shots, sexual references and unless you blow up or shoot a given number of things.......... :rolleyes: Honestly. How juvenile. (oops.sounds like soapbox moment)

OK, back to work before I get into trouble (with you or with work!).

TTFN :cheers:
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2006 04:48
Thanks for those blue lights, Rose. You're A real sweetheart.

Awelyn, thanks for your well-wishes and I hope your shoulder allows you to do all the hugging you want this weekend.

I'll bet MT wouldn't even know she'd had surgery if the V-man was there to hold her hand and stare into her eyes. I would stand in for him if I didn't look so much like Gimli's father, Gloin.
Maybe if I'm just there in spirit and unseen it would be better.

Maybe there are times when the police around here arrests someone without re-inacting the shootout at the OK coral, but I never here of those.

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, faramirgirl.

Well, I have A pretty little 5-year-old girl who needs watching after, so I must go. Have A great day all my fine friends. Swabby
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2006 05:46

I'll bet MT wouldn't even know she'd had surgery if the V-man was there to hold her hand and stare into her eyes. I would stand in for him if I didn't look so much like Gimli's father, Gloin.
Maybe if I'm just there in spirit and unseen it would be better.

Yes, I want no anesthesia. Please send Mr. Mortensen instead. That's all I need.:love:

Swabby, your spirit and thoughts will help me greatly. I already feel your presence.

I am so sorry to hear of your trials and tribulations frarmirgirl. I would be greatly annoyed that someone bought drugs from my house. I hope that it wasn't your son, but somehow the police got that idea. Be strong and firm with the police and your son. You don't want to have another morning like the one you've had. Prayers for you and your situation.

I'm sure this story isn't funny if you're the hitchhiker, but it made me laugh when I read it in our local paper. "A Tennesse man faces kidnapping charges after police said Wednesday that he took a hitchhiker to a Robertsdale convenience store and forced him to eat pizza and drink wine at knifepoint." I know the store, and I wonder if the Tennessean is trying to see if the pizza makes the hitchhiker sick also. Perhaps he had some on his way to Gulf Shores and became deadly sick and wanted to see if it was the pizza that did it.

MT
RiverWoman
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2006 09:59
Faramirgirl what an awful experience. Your son should get a lawyer and get it all straightened out - I know a lot of time herre in the US they show up at the wrong house or show up to arrest someone on false information - someone gets caught with drugs and they accuse someone else who is innocent just to get the police to give them a break.

Pizza you have to be forced to eat sounds scary! I'm usually all too willing.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2006 02:03
HI RiverWoman glad to have you join us.

Pizza at knifepoit? SOunds like a comedy sketch to me. What a weird experience!

To all of you who are down for maintenance and repairs do take care of yourselves. Imagine lots of love and giggles and good energy from all your FoF pals. Oh yes, and chocolate, too!

Had a stressful day and I'm glad that it's over. People appropriating my tables, chairs and dividers for a display (got it back with firm diplomacy) , snarky Security chief "dissing" my counsellors and going all "bad cop" on a person with mental illness (my mnagaer wil work on him), a client admitted to the psych ward (that's good - the poor thing needs respite and a thorough assessment). Yoy! Got to dance it out of my system again just a soon as supper settles.

May the wind be always at your back and the sun shine brightly upon you. May you be half an hour in heaven before the devil knows you're dead. My Irish blessing for all you wannabe Irish, in honour of St. Patrick's Day (I'd post a shamrock but I'm too lazy to find one on the Net. I'll bet Rose will have one, or perhaps a green dragon).
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
awelyn418
Send Message
on: March 16, 2006 03:19
Hi Riverwoman I am with you no one has every had to make me eat pizza.
I agree it was an awful experience for you Faramirgirl.

Swabby have a good time with that pretty granddaughter.

MTMS, you are in my prayers and my thoughts are with you. Here are some hugs , :hug: :hug:

I went to therapy today and it was really painful at times even though the therapist had me laughing. I really like him.

Neenime I agree with you about television. I was watching animal planet at 7:00 pm and they cursed and had a sexual innuendo I was so angry.disgusted. It made me angry.
Why do they feel they have to do that.
faramirgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2006 06:27
(((((everyone))))) thanks.

This is my last semester in school and I am hoping to find a good job, I am also wanting to move out of Kentucky and just start new somewhere else and I am not taking any kids with me.

I really have missed you all and sorry that I have not been here much, I have just been so busy doing homework and writing all of thiese paper. I really hate writing papers, I had to take a speech class and I mess up so bad when i have to get in front of the cl;ass and give my speech.

Everyone have a beautiful day today.
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2006 02:26
:wave: Helloooo all. :love:

Morwin: I seem to have caught your cold Atchooo!!!!. So now, not only am I staggering around with my vertigo, everytime I sneeze, I end up in a different direction again. Lol!!! It's like bumper cars. *giggles*.

Faramirgirl: You do seem to have your troubles. Hope everything settles down for you.

Hi Riverwoman :wave:

MTMS: Blue lights for you too, with a few purple ones thrown in. :love:

Blue lights for you too awelyn. :love:

Awww what the heck.....blue lights to you all, and some yellow sunshine ones. :love:

Neenime: I am not one to disappointed, I hope. Lol!!

Image Image Image

[size=4] Happy St Pat's Day[/size]

Love the Rangers -v- Chocolate....Chocolate -v- Rangers

Does anyone wonder why PJ showed Sauron as a great big eye? In the book, I took Sauron to be secreted away in Barad-dur and that the red gleam from his eye could be seen through the top most windows. Now, I may have missed something somewhere, as I am wont to do, lol, but I don't seem to recall a description of a big red flaming eye caught in a tuning fork.

I am not decrying PJ's portrayal. But personally, I find the gleam from an eye at the top of the tower, much more menacing. Just my personal opinion. Any thoughts? I just felt the need to ask. Lol!!!

Well that was a bit of waffle, wasn't it!!! I just feel the urge now and again to ask a question. ......*shut up Rose....no, we won'tsssss, we wantssss to talk....Rose, shush....no..not listening, not listening...*

Bye everyone..... bump, achooo, sniffle, bump, cough!! :dizzy:

Rosie. xxxxxxx
awelyn418
Send Message
on: March 17, 2006 03:45
Rose , I am so sorry about your cold. I hope you feel better. I sorry but I laughed about your sneezing landing up in a different place. It just hit me as funny. Blue lights right back at you Rose. Rose I have often pondered that about PJ's idea of the eye. I would like to hear other FOF's opinion

Morwin I hope you are feeling better too.

I am Irish so Happy St.Patrick's day to you, Neenime and I love that Irish blessing but here is another one -May the road rise up to meet you,May the sun shine warm on your face,the rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again...May God hold you in the palm of His hand. I have this blessing framed and on my wall.

That sounds like a good idea FG moving from Kentucky and starting over. Have a good day,

:cry: Wish we could be together on this day of the wearing of the green.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: March 17, 2006 03:47
Aww... Sorry to hear you're under the weather, Rose!

Ol' Tom, thanks so much for the absolutely beautiful St. Paddy's Day card. You... er... Tom looks great in green. LOL

faramirgirl: Good grief! I think you do indeed have grounds for action against them. I think you've been given some excellent advice in going to the State Police. I can't help wondering if one of your son's "friends" got in trouble and tried to defuse some of the attention from him or herself onto someone not there. Sounds suspicious. And so very sorry to hear about your kitty. I always cringe when I let my one "indoor-outdoor" cat out because folks drive too fast down my street as well. Big hugs to you and Nita. I hear you about school. I am sooo tired

Neenime: Heavens! Sounds like you've been having quite a time. Is it the full moon's influence, do you think? I swear we've had some very odd things going on.

River Woman: Glad to see you again!

swabby: Sorry not to answer some of you posts. Been busier than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rockers.

Hugs to all my FoF! :hug:
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2006 05:21
Top o' the morning to ye! :wave:

Well Old Tom and his pretty lady ate pizza last night but there was no coercion involved. Tonight we’ll be eating cornbeef and cabbage, and there’ll be no coercion involved in that, either!

I love Irish blessings, too. This line of Goldberry’s reminds me of one:
‘Speed now, fair guests!’ she said. ‘And hold to your purpose! North with the wind in your left eye and a blessing on your footsteps! Make haste while the Sun shines!’ And to Frodo she said: ‘Farewell, Elf-friend, it was a merry meeting!’
One of these days I’m going to have that framed and mounted on the entranceway of my home.

Does anyone wonder why PJ showed Sauron as a great big eye? In the book, I took Sauron to be secreted away in Barad-dur and that the red gleam from his eye could be seen through the top most windows. Now, I may have missed something somewhere, as I am wont to do, lol, but I don't seem to recall a description of a big red flaming eye caught in a tuning fork.
Peter Jackson and company explain this in the commentary that accompanies the extended version of The Return of the King. I don’t recall the precise reason, but I do recall that depicting Sauron was something they struggled with.

Sauron’s eye is often referred to LOTR, but you’re right, I don’t think he was a giant eye himself. The flaming Lidless Eye was a projection of his watchfulness. Sauron was probably a gnarly wretched figure. After his body was destroyed in the fall of Númenor he was never again able to take fair form. From Gollum’s description, we can gather that he was black and missing a finger. I imagine him being black as one who had been burned up.

PJ also shows Isildur cutting off several of Sauron’s fingers as Sauron reached for him. From Tolkien’s description it appears that Sauron fell along with Elendil and Gil-galad as he fought with them, then perished when Isildur picked up his father's broken sword and cut off Sauron's ring finger.

I don’t think the depictions PJ gives are “mistakes” on his part. I think these are the ways he chose to do things that he thought would be most dramatically satisfying. That’s true of probably most or all of his departures from Tolkien’s text.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2006 05:46
I'm having A hectic day today! I was finally able to finish cooking my breakfast and sit down to eat it after A period of chaos and flat tires. I was busier than A one-legged man in A butt-kicking contest for A while there. Now I'm hoping A certain little girl won't wake up untill I've written this. She's A darling, but ol' Swabby has trouble keeping up with her. I made the mistake of showing her my LotR collectibles and she just had to get Aragorn out of his box and play with him. Ditto for all my little swords, the "One Ring", the jewelry, etc. She made me turn all my little figures around last night because "they were staring at her" and she couldn't sleep. Her trip to "Toys R US" proved very fruitfull, (For her) and she now has enough Barbie dolls to populate area code 90210.
Whew, I'm tired.

I love your big ol" well-decorated post, Rose. It almost makes me frisky. Sorry about the virtigo and sneezing. As for the "eye" thing, I guess PJ went with what he thought would work best, visually. I hadn't really thought about it much.

St Patrick's day. My 14yo, (Tommy) said he got pinched last year for having on no green, so he's decked out in A bright green T-shirt today. Oh yeah, he is getting over the flu and went to school today.

Let's be thinking about MT and her surgery, and wish her the best. I remember when it was Sindy in that boat, and she came out fine. May MT have visions of dancing Viggos wearing nothing but kilts and smiles. Oh, wait, I think they'll want her blood pressure and heart-rate to stay somewhat reasonable. Let them have hats. (On their heads)

Sorry you've been so busy, Belle, I'm sure we would have enjoyed your comments on some of that Navy stuff.

Have A great weekend, and I hope no one gets pinched, unless, of course, it's A prelude to making whoopy.:evil: Swabby

Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2006 05:47
Top o'the morning to yourself, Ol' Tom me lad

Yes, Tom, I seem to remember something in the commentaries about Sauron and the depiction as a big red eye. Thanks for reminding me.

Sauron was probably a gnarly wretched figure. After his body was destroyed in the fall of Númenor he was never again able to take fair form. From Gollum’s description, we can gather that he was black and missing a finger. I imagine him being black as one who had been burned up.

That's about spot on for me, Tom. I could see him bent and bitterly wretched, peering out from his stronghold. A grimace across his disfigured features, a light catching his eye. I could imagine someone looking up at Barad-dur seeing flashes of clear red light. *shudders*

As far as PJ's departures from the book, in some respects, I suspect subtlety is not always the best for some audiences. A hit over the head is what is needed. Maybe he summised that people would need to *see* the red, the eye and the flaming lidlessness.

Btw Thomas, to give you your Sunday name, thank you so much for the lovely card.

Re my cold, thanks everyone for your warm thoughts. I'm ok, just a bit dehydrated and sinusey and sore from sneezing. Lol!!

Won't keep me down though. I am off out tonight with my significant other, the handsome Ian, to go and see the greyhounds race, and tomorrow night too.

It's St Pat's night, so plenty of the ol' Guinness and, as my daughter lovingly calls it, some 'diddly, diddly, diddly music'. If you drink enough Guinness, they give you a silly hat, made to look like a pint of Guinness. No!!! I won't be wearing it and I will probably leave the large consuming of pints to my beloved. Lol!!!

Hey swabby. I must have been writing my post, when you posted. So glad your son is getting better and your grand daughter sounds a sweetie. I'll bet you *are* tired. :hug:

Of course, warm thoughts to MT. :hug: :hug: :hug:

*looks at the post below* Hi Neenime. :wave:

Dang!! I knew there was something else. Lol!! Corned beef and cabbage. Oh, my Ol' Tom. I would dealry love a place at your table. Yum, yum, yum.

Cheerybye for now.

Rosie xxxx

[Edited on 17/3/2006 by Rosearialelven]
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2006 05:52
St. Paddy's Day Greetings to all. I may not be Irish but I've had a thing for Celtic culture all my life. It just draws me - the music, the knotwork, the legends and all. Not that the Irish have the market cornered on Celtic culture, but it still lives strong there.

Faramirgirl I feel for you. A lot of the students that we are seeing in our health centre are stressed to the max right about now. I had six urgent new clients when I was on call last week. One of mine has been admitted because she can't cope any more ( although there is clearly a psychiatric condition on board also, not just stress) and another one had a run-in with Security because of how he manages stress. 'Tis the season.

I send you Love and Light. Keep looking at that finish line! Will you be graduating this year or are you just glad that the academic year is over?

Thanks for the words of supportBelle and others . I'm doing fine. Much better than the past few years. By this time I am usually worn out, but have been practising stress management techniques that I tell others to use. And, wonder of wonders, they actually work! It's not just a malarkey that I hand out to clients! So, yesterday I went to the basement and danced it all out again. A walk in the sunshine with dog also helped. And hubby pretending to be scared of me because I was grumpy just made me laugh and not take myself too seriously.

Great graphics, as usual! Rose . I always enjoy your posts, both for content and appearance.

Old Tom you can't have corned beef and cabbage without a pint of ale, Man! What were ye thinkin'?
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: March 17, 2006 09:36
Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone! :cheers: Myself, I don't really celebrate it in any way, but as a friend of Irish music (and Guinness ) I always do remember it.

Old Tom, thanks for the e-card!

Faramirgirl, what a horrible experience with the police. And, losing your kitty right after that... I wish you new strength for the rest of the semester, and hope that after you've graduated, you'll find a good job in some other part of the country.

Rose, get well soon. et: Have fun at the greyhound races! Myself, I'm already feeling better, I could say that today was almost normal.

Swabby, nice to hear that your son is recovering - the flu can really make one feel exhausted. And, your granddaughter sounds like a real sweetie! :heart:

TGIF - have a nice weekend, everybody! :hug:
awelyn418
Send Message
on: March 17, 2006 03:51
Well, I had a lime margarita at my favorite Mexican Restaurant. I would
have preferred corned beef and cabbage. My mom always fixed it for me but she is gone so my husband and my sister and brother-in-law went there.

OTB, thank you for the card . I also appreciate the input on the Sauron eye discussion.

Morwin I am so glad you are feeling better.

Have a good time Rose and I hope your favorite wins.

Swabby rest up and have a great time with that pretty girl.

I have to go get ready my grandkids will be here any minute and I made them St. Patrick's day cards.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2006 06:50
It's A rather dreary, rainy day here in NW Arkansas. We need the rain to fill our lakes back up.

My little grandaughter is back with my ex now. I enjoyed having her, but I really needed more "get up and go" than was available to me.

I do love corned beef and cabbage, but we didn't have any. We did like you, Awelyn, we went to A Mexican restaraunt. Friday nights are allways A bad night to go out to eat because the restaraunts are all so crowded. If that darned Swabby would spend more time in the kitchen and less time resting, we wouldn't have to go out!

One of my great-grandmothers was A "Donnel", so I've probably got A wee bit of Irish in me along with everything else, not that it matters. I think anybody should be able to celebrate any holliday they wish.

Thanks to everyone for your positive thoughts. My son is back to his old self, except for being A little weak and easily tired.

I expect A few of us will soon be dining on chocolate bunnies as Easter approaches. I've already sneaked A caramel-filled chocolate egg. It wasn't nearly as beautiful as your eggs, Neenime, but it was yummy.

We could go on for days about PJ's movies, saying "He should have done this" or, "That could've been done better", but it is still my most favorite movie of all time. After seeing "Return of the King", I proclaimed that no one should bother making another movie, because nothing would ever measure up to what PJ did. Oh sure, the talent and the resources are there to make many more splendid movies, but there's one problem that just can't be overcome---- there aren't any more stories to make into film that can equal Tolkein's masterpiece. Perhaps someone will write A story that will equal, or even out do JRR one day, but I doubt that I shall be alive to see it. Love and hugs to all, Swabby
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2006 07:21
She made me turn all my little figures around last night because "they were staring at her" and she couldn't sleep.
*ROFL*

Women, even little ones, are funny, aren't they?

As far as PJ's departures from the book, in some respects, I suspect subtlety is not always the best for some audiences. A hit over the head is what is needed
I'm afraid you're right about that, Rosie. Of course most theatre goers haven't read the books a dozen or more times like all of us have.

Old Tom you can't have corned beef and cabbage without a pint of ale, Man! What were ye thinkin'
Old Tom occasionally enjoys a glass of beer on a warm day or a glass of wine with an especially fine meal, Neenime, but otherwise I don't drink very often. It's been cold and rainy here so I haven't worked up much of a thirst for beer. I guess I'd make a poor Irishman.

I just had coffee with my dinner, like I do on most evenings. Goldberry put a touch of Bailey's Irish Cream in hers, though.

Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2006 01:04
I just had coffee with my dinner, like I do on most evenings. Goldberry put a touch of Bailey's Irish Cream in hers, though.

Isn't that funny. I had coffee (decaf) after supper yesterday and put Irish Creme-flavoured creamer in it. A completely unconscious tip of the hat to St. Paddy's Day. Wish I had had some REAL Bailey's though.... Hmmm - should have pulled out my DVD of Riverdance in honour of the day! Mannnnn - what a bad memory I have!

Swabby glad that you had a nice time with your little sweetie. I can imagine that you just light up around her! Her thing with the figures is so cute. I love looking through children's eyes onto the world. It reminds me that what we think of reality is really just perception.

I'm pleased. Just had my first article published on an Internet site about spirituality and transformation. I put a lot of work into it and I hope that readers will find it thought-provoking.

Good thoughts and healing energy to MT and to any of you still ailing.. :angel:

It's a cold, brisk day but the sun is gaining in strength all the time. Spring hits here at 1:26 EDT (or is it EST?) on Monday. Have any of you tried the trick of balancing a raw egg on it's fat end at that time? Apparently the gravitational forces are such that you can do this trick during a 4-hour window either side of the moment that the sun crosses the equator. I didn't believe it until my brother showed me and my kids years ago. How to amaze your friends..........
<< First1415161718
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email