Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
Post Ever After (Keeper!)
on: April 14, 2006 08:03
OOc// Hey, all. Check out the OOc if this leaves you slightly confused. Welcome all newcomers and huggles to all the old players!

The sandy-haired teen leaned against the wall in the Elven refuge of Imladris. Clean streaks ran down his dirty face. He was glaring at the ground, arms crossed and eyes slightly unfocused. Rolan was reliving the past silently, as he often did nowadays, when everyone else was busy. Even Diablo was busy, working with the Elven horses, showing them how to do the most damage possible with their sharp hooves.

Rolan wanted to be helping, but he knew it wouldn't do any good for him to be around. He couldn't do anything to help anyway, not really. After all, hadn't his so-called 'help' during the battle left Imladris without her guardian? Hadn't his 'help' left Elladan exposed to an attack that had blinded him? Curse it all, he knew he was no help, but that didn't stop him from wanting to offer. That was why he was here, letting tears burn paths through the grime on his face.

Bells chimed. Dimly he realized it must be midday. The others would be gathering for luncheon, no doubt, and talking about what meager defenses had been pulled together today. He didn't want to be with them when it happened. He didn't want to see their faces, know that they were pitying him. He didn't want their damn pity. He just wanted to be alone right now.

The bells rang again. Rolan didn't move from his position against the wall, except to slide down and put his head on his knees.

Arianna - Ari to her friends - swept into the Hall after everyone else. She caught sight of Rodwin, the Elven cook who was walking among the seated peoples and serving them with the help of a pair of Elflings. A frown creased her face for a moment. The Head of the Kitchen should have more than a set of Elflings assisting her, was her first thought. Then, she brushed it away with a sad sigh. With so few people here, Imladris needed every sword hand that could be spared. They had to train, and be ready for when the next attack would come. The enemy was regrouping. They must as well.

I only wish my Lord Elrond was here, Ari thought as she surveyed the room. His death meant more to those here than even they know. For many of us, he was Imladris, and all it stood for. The Twins can hardly take over now. Not with Elladan in such a state. Elrohir can't either. His mind is still not whole.

The room grew quiet slowly. Suddenly nervous, Ari fiddled with a link of chain mail that was on her cuff. She, like many sitting here, was dressed as if on the battlefield already. Few were willing to take the chance to be caught unawares by the enemy. Some took it as far as to sleep in the metal that formed their armour. While she didn't take it quite that far, Ari had to admit that the weight of the mail was a comfort to her.

All eyes trained their gazes upon the young Elf woman. She looked around the half circle of the room, trying to meet everyone's eyes. "It's been almost four months since the attack on Imladris," she said softly into the silence. "We are still hurting. We have lost many." The silence was pounding in Ari's ears as she paused. She closed her eyes against the stares of everyone in the room.

Why?

"Imladris lost her heart when she lost Lord Elrond." Tears were coursing down her cheeks, but she couldn't raise a hand to brush them away. "We are still hurting from our loss." Slowly, she opened her eyes again to meet the eyes of the young man sitting in the front and slightly off-center. Eadoin. Next to him, Arato and Aiden. Behind them - Captain Glyndr and Laliath. She burned their faces into her mind as she looked back at them.

Arianna bowed her head and the soft echo of her words flew through the Hall. "We are hurting... hurting... hurting..." said a thousand soft voices, the only ones left to guard the haven.

Ari fled.

The great black stallion paused, looking over the fence. Someone was walking towards him. His ears pricked up and he whickered to the visitor. The midday sun picked out a long, white scar running the length of the left side of his body, from whithers to hindquarters. It bunched and stretched as the stallion moved, backing up enough to get a running start to jump the fence. Easily, he loped towarard the visitor, one sandy haired lad of fiteen summers.

"Easy lad," Rolan growled at the stallion. "I'd like t' keep meself in one piece, if s'all the same t' ye."

The black horse snorted, as if to say Nonsense.

It startled a laugh out of the ex-street thief. "Not sure what I'd do without ye, ye great ugly brute," he said quietly, wrapping his arms around the animal's neck.

OOc// Well, that's a pretty long post, but it gets everyone of my characters in. Lovies and hugs. *~Salk~*

[Edited on 2/8/2008 by Salkiethia]
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Ever After (Keeper!)
on: April 14, 2006 10:47
OK so this is not a post. But I wanted to let all the Red Dawnies know that Glyndy and I are here....and will be for as long as we are needed.
Post away..and we will follow...

Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 14, 2006 12:33
((For now, I'm not going to be playing much of Eadoin. I will use him regularly later on, but for the start of this thread... not yet.))

"That went well," Aiden said softly as Arianna fled the hall. He turned and looked at the others. "Can we just call it a day? Nobody's really up to thinking about *that* right now."

"I have to agree with Aiden," Arato said. "We all need rest. We've been running ourselves ragged recently." He rose, placing a four-fingered right hand on the back of his chair. During the battle, he had been unlucky enough to have his hand get in the way of an Orc's scimitar and had been lucky enough to lose only his pinky. Although it made handling a sword a bit more difficult, he had gotten off easily, he supposed, compared to what had happened to the Twins.

"Er..." Aiden began, glancing around the hall as he rose. "Has anyone seend Rolan? I haven't seen the lad all day, and I'm a bit worried." He scratched the three parallel scars on his face, a nervous habit that had developed since the wounds had scarred.

"Let him be, Aiden," Eadoin said softly. Of the three brothers, he was the only one that had escaped unscathed, a fact which still surprised him. His bow, however, had become his constant companion since those battles. It was never too far from his hand, strung or unstrung. He slung the bow over his shoulder as he rose and left the room.

"Well, I'll see you at the evening meal," Aiden called as he sallied forth from the dining room.

----------

"There you are," Aiden said as he came across Rolan and Diablo. "Missed you at the noonday meal. I wondered where you had gone off to, if you'd gotten yourself in any trouble." He shrugged and leaned against the fencing that ran along the path.
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2006 06:10
Diablo stretched out his neck and whickered a greeting to Aiden. Rolan, still hanging onto his neck, refused to look at the other boy, choosing instead to bury his face in the stallion's mane. He didn't want to see any of them. Not now.

Slowly, the black horse moved forward, careful not to step on the feet of the boy who was holding onto him. Rolan had to move forward with the animal or be dragged. Reluctantly, he lifted his head to look at Aiden. A scowl found its way onto his face and he released his hold on Diablo's neck.

"What do ye want?" he demanded, his voice breaking. "What's it matter if I weren't there? S'not like ye all need me t' be there, anyhow. I jest get in the way, s'all. Ye've 'eard 'em talkin' 'bout it, 'aven't ye? They's been sayin' I jest let 'em by - let 'em get 'im." He was babbling now, and he knew it. Rolan shut his mouth with a snap, and took a step closer to the scarred stallion.

"Jest go away," he said quietly, looking at the ground. "They's all blamin' me anyway, so's they must be right."

It's my fault that the Elf lords of this place can't run it. All a'cause I wasn't quick enough on my toes t' stop an orc.

Ari let her feet carry her away from the Great Hall as fast as they would without breaking into a run. It was all too much right now. Every day, she saw them all looking at her, and she felt them hoping that some way she'd pull off a miracle. But she was no miracle worker. They needed Elrond for that... And he was gone.

The unfairness of it all made her want to scream. Whoever had sent these foul beasts to attack Imladris had known that if he founder was killed, the sanctuary was as good as fallen as well. Imladris had enemies, and they were coming to get her, destroying her piece by piece.
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2006 09:47
((I love you guys to no end. *huggles the whole gang* You just made my day so much better. I hate working long hours at the market.))

"Good afternoon, Diablo," Aiden said,stepping a few paces forward to rub the black horse's nose. He whisked an apple from his pocket and presented it to the horse absently, turning his attention to Rolan. The lad he had once known was gone, replaced by what he saw now.

"I just wanted to see how you were doing, is all." Aiden scratched the scars on his face again. "Besides, it's not healthy to skip meals. So at least show up to eat something at the evening meal. You don't have to stay long, just long enough to eat."

He moved forward again and placed his hands on Rolan's shoulders. He shook the lad firmly. "Stop saying that it's your fault. I don't care what they say, it's not your fault that Lord Elrond is dead! Nobody should have expected you to be able to protect him and yourself in that battle. There was too much going on. We were all feeling a little overwhelmed."

Aiden let go of Rolan's shoulders and walked a ways away. Sighing, he stared up at the sky before turning and looking at Rolan again. "It's not your fault that this happened. Its whoever is commanding the orcs."

----------

Calmly and efficiently, Eadoin searched for Arianna. He knew she was upset, and he wanted to help her. Imladris had been attacked before they had had the chance to form a relationship that was more than a friendship. now their friendship was crumbling under all the stress Ari was under. If he couldn't have anything more, he wanted a strong friendship at the least.

Surprisingly, Arianna wasn't in any of the places Eadoin normally would have found her. He continued walking through the gardens in search of the elf maid. Finally, he spotted her moving away from him very quickly.

"Ari, wait!" Eadoin called after her, hurrying to catch up.

((Just for reference, how long has it been since 'Red Dawn'? I'm not really sure how old Aiden and Eadoin are now...))

Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2006 01:06
Ari turned when she heard the sound of Eadoin's voice. She wasn't sure if she wanted to see the human right now. But then he was right by her and she felt a little better about everything. Just a little, but it helped all the same. Sadly, Ari walked through the gardens with Eadoin at her side.

Neither spoke for a long while, and then Ari abruptly said in a choked voice, "Why are they looking to me for the miracle Imladris needs? I know I've got the ability to run Imladris smoothly during peacetime, but not war! I can't do this, Eadoin - surely they can all see it."

I'm not the Elf they think I am, she wanted to cry out. I'm no brilliant leader. I'm just me - just me. And I can't help any more than anyone else.

Ari paused by a bush that had dark leaves and let her hands trail along the gentle vines that twirled together. The vines were dark, like the leaves, though usually this type of plant had light green shoots.

The Elf maiden sighed to herself. Blood still stained their lives. The plants in the garden showed it; some refused to grow in places, others had absorbed the dark liquid and turned that color themselves. The Elves and humans showed it, too. With a shudder she thought of Elladan's blindness, Elrohir's madness, the scars bore by many of the populace of Imladris.

The naievity of the youngsters who had been called upon to fight was gone. Witness Rolan - torn apart by the trauma of battle. There were Elflings too, too young to be considered adult Elves no matter how old they seemed to humans. These were scared and robbed of their childhoods as well.

The sadness in her heart let Ari do something she never would have done on her own. She threw her arms around Eadoin's shoulders and began to cry silently, holding on to someone else for comfort.

Rolan gave Aiden a sour look. "It is my fault, an' ye know it well's I do," he said softly. "Whoever commands the orcs don't command when I drop m' sword in the dirt an' retch a'cause I jest killed sommat. 'E doesn't command when I'm watchin' my charge an' when I'm not. An'," he faltered, wiping the back of his hand against his face before continuing on. "An' Aiden, it ain't jest Lord Elf dyin' that I caused. Everyone's 'eard the Elf Lord's twin brother. My fault, too. An' ye can't reason that one away, neither."

Diablo finished snacking on the apple that Aiden had presented him with and now watched his young colt-boy whinnying to the other colt-man about something. The stallion knew something was troubling his colt-boy and protectively nuzzled the boy. This one was in his charge no less than the colts and fillies of the Point-Ears.

OOc// Do you know how *hard* it is to play from the point of view of a horse???
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2006 02:33
After many hours Glyndr led his section of elven warriors back through the shattered remnants of what had once been one of the gates into Imladris.

They had left before dawn to patrol the boundaries. The enemy were re grouping and there had been rumours of another attack.

The Captain ran his hand through his long dark hair, and eased his aching shoulders. He was tired. Very tired, there seemed no time to rest, not now.

The fears Glyndr had had so long ago of another war had become a terrible reality . Imladris’ Lord lost, everything seemed chaos.

“We ride north in two hours”, the elf Captain said wearily as he slid from his warhorse’s back.
“Get what food and rest you can, I fear it will be the last we will get today”.

Glyndr dismissed his tired soldiers, and then led Sylstar to the stables. The elf still tended the horse himself; the animal was as evil tempered as his master.
Glyndr did not trust the horse with anyone else.

The silver grey stallion limped slightly, a muscle in his shoulder damaged in a clash with orcs during THAT battle.

As if in sympathy with the horse Glyndr had also gained an injury, his collar bone and right arm had been badly broken. Glyndr now fought using his left hand, he had not regained full strength in his right arm .

The Captain remembered too vividly the fierceness of the battle, the memories returning as he brushed Sylstar’s grey coat.

The warhorse’s once flawless skin now bore many scars. As did Glyndr, and many others.
Very few had returned unscathed.

Glyndr stroked the stallion’s strong , arched neck , the horse now pulling happily on his hay.
“Two hours my lad, make the most of it”.

The Captain slapped the horse’s rump as he left the stables to join the others for the meal.

A while later Glyndr left ,he did not want to stay long inside. He felt trapped.

The elf walked slowly across the once beautiful courtyard to the fountain in the gardens. He often went there when he needed to get away from everything. To think.

He sat at the edge of the fountain and stared deep into the sparkling water. Lost in thoughts of the past.
“Where was Narmion the young warrior who had been his companion for so long?” Glyndr had not seen the brash young elf to speak to iin a long while.

Then there was Rolan. Glyndr knew that Elrohir blamed the lad for the disasters that had struck Imladris’Lords.
He had heard it spoken of amongst his soldiers, Glyndr wondered how the once annoying brat was feeling.
And Eadoin?, Amata? The others who came here , how were they truly feeling?

Glyndr smiled as he thought of his beautiful wife Lalaith. They had not been blessed with much time together. Glyndr’s duty had taken him away for days at a time, he needed to be with her, to see her again more than just for scant hours.

“When?” he said to the water, “ Once I thought I had found all I ever wanted in my life, my Lalaith. I had finally found peace with her at my side, now peace is again shattered, there is evil and war again”.

Glyndr put his head in his hands and stared deeper into the crystal depths.
“Will there ever be peace and order in Imladris again?”.

[Edited on 17/4/2006 by elflyn]

Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2006 03:46
((I think playing from the POV of a horse is cute, Sal, and I'm glad you're adding a bit of flavor into this RP by doing so. *snicker* colt-man Aiden.))

"We look to you, Ari, because you're the only one who *can* lead, even if it is in peacetime," Eadoin said softly, cradling the elf maid's head under his chin. "Everyone else is used to following, and Elladan and Elrohir can't lead as they are. Arato would have taken control, except he's human and wouldn't know *how* to run Imladris if forced to. You're the only one, Ari, and we need you."

Silently, he led the crying elf to a bench and sat down with her next to him, holding her against him. "I know it's hard for you, Ari, but you've got to hold on. We're trying to help you the best you can, but for now, you've got to just hold on." Impulsively, Eadoin lowered his head and kissed Arianna on the lips.

"Just hold on, Ari."

----------

"I don't think you were ready for that battle," Aiden said, brushing at his chin-length hair. "And as for Lord Elrond's sons, well, their conditions were caused by a chain of events. I personally don't see you as the beginning of that chain, but rather somewhere in the middle, where the events had escalated to the point where nothing could stop them from progressing as they had." Aiden shrugged. Then he smiled.

"You're quite stubborn when you want to be, Rolan," he said after a few moments. He placed his hands on Rolan's shoulders again and leaned forward to try to meet Rolan's eyes. "It may seem bad now, but it's going to get better someday. I don't know when, but it'll be better eventually. Try not to blame yourself too much." Aiden's hands tightened. "Anyways, do you want to be able to handle yourself without retching come the next battle? I'm sure I could work something out with Arato so he and I can help you out, if you'd like."

----------

Arato sat in his room, looking blankly at the piece of paper he had laid before him on the desk. He was trying to write to his father, but the words weren't coming. Keene was probably worried sick about them, but that didn't help him write. Finally, he set his pen to the paper and began to write.

Keene -
I have no way of knowing if you ever get this message, but I'll have to ask you not to send one back to me, because I'm afraid I'll never get it. Aiden and Eadoin and I are all fine for the most part, except I'm missing a finger and Aiden's sporting a few scars.

You see, father, we got bogged down in Rivendell when the orcs attacked us. It's been 4 months since then, and we know they're coming again. I've contemplated sending the boys to safety so many times, but I can't bring myself to do it. That would be deserting the people here, the people who need our help. Right now, we need all the warriors we can get. They told me they're not going, and I won't force them to do so.

I'm sorry Keene.

Love,
Arato

Sighing, Arato folded the letter and rose. He hoped that somehow he'd be able to borrow a bird to send the letter home.
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2006 11:10
"There innent gonna be a next battle fer me," Rolan said, not looking at Aiden. He was studying the ground, because suddenly a rock had become the most fascinating thing in the world. "Lord Elf told me I weren't t' be anywheres near the battlin' when it starts up 'gain. 'E don't wanna get me in the way, 'gain, 'e says."

Rolan finally looked up into Aiden's face and grimaced slightly; he still hadn't gotten used to the scars on the other's face yet. It was one more reason he avoided coming to meals when he could. The scars everywhere were more reminders of his failures. More looks of disdain and hate directed solely at him.

"I'm not gonna ask fer any 'elp, Aiden," he said slowly and carefully. "I ain't gonna be in the way again an' I sure as the nine 'ells ain't gonna give that damn pointy-ear the satisfaction of knowin' 'e's driven me's mad as 'e is. I ain't gonna ask for 'elp. Jest let me be." He paused and then added as an afterthought, "Please."

Ari wasn't as surprised by Eadoin's kiss as she felt she should be. After a successful attack by orcs on Imladris, she thought dully, there isn't much in the world that can surprise me anymore.

She gave him a small smile, the first one since the battle that was unshadowed by grief. "I'll try to, Eadoin. I can't promise anything, but I'll try." She let her head rest on his shoulder again and laughed. It was a laugh with tears in it, but it helped. The first laugh in four months...

"We were here after that banquet where Rolan broke the table by dancing on it," she whispered. Regular speech seemed like too much of an effort right now. "Afterwards, when the mess was cleaned up, Diablo came in to crash the wedding party. Rodwin told me he seemed upset that there were no horses on the cake."

Somewhere overhead a hawk screamed. Ari let her eyes fall closed. She was tired right now. And content, as well, for the time being.

"If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times, it wasn't his fault, Elrohir." Elladan was lying on his bed, his sightless eyes facing the ceiling as he listened to his twin's pacing. "You're determined to blame him, and he isn't to blame," the Elf lord continued doggedly, ignoring his brother's growls.

Elrohir cast him a scathing look, one that immediately softened as he came forward to sit by Elladan. "You shouldn't be like this," he argued. "That scrap of a boy shouldn't have decided he could take over and--"

"And what, 'Roh?" Elladan interrupted, using his childhood nickname for his twin. "And save so many? He saved at least half a dozen Elflings when he went after them."

"He shouldn't have left you!" Elrohir protested loudly. Seeing Elladan wince back slightly from his volume, the Elf lord lowered his voice.

"He did what he thought was right." Elladan was calm, calmer than he should be, to his twin's thinking. "Stop making his life a misery, 'Roh. He doesn't deserve it."

Diablo nudged Rolan's side in farewell. The bells were ringing again. It was time for him to go work with the older colts and fillies. The yearlings were resting from their morning work - the other older horses would watch them.

He looked over each horse with the eye of a commander. These Elvish horses were intelligent and quick, if not strong. They learned fast, as they needed to, if they were to protect their masters. The Elves who rode them trusted in them completely. They would be worthy of that trust.

Diablo reared, pawing at the air with his forelegs. His scream echoed all around Imladris as the others, Elves, men and horses alike, began to once again excute the training rituals that would hopefully make them ready for the orcs when they came again.

OOc//Thanks, Nimmy. Yes, colt-man Aiden. And colt-boy Rolan.
Linwe_Saralonde
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2006 01:58
Elenwen calmly stared at the valley of Imladris. How long has it been since the last time she was here?

" Longer than I can remember, that's for sure...", the elleth mumbled under her breath.

Elenwen descended into the valley, with the growing feeling that something had changed since she last was tere (when ever that was).
For sure, the place had tasted blood, the elleth decided as she looked upon her surroundings. Instinctively, Elenwen tightneded her grip on her swrod under her cloak. If something happened while she was here, she wouldn't be defenseless. Never again, she thought, a glimpse of her dark past making it's way back into her mind.

The elleth dismounted, wondering if someone could inform her of what has been happening. She had spent the last past years in Rohan and had not had any tidings of her kin for a few decades at least.

Elenwen entered the Last Homely House, a thought suddenly popping out of her head:
Where was Lord Elrond?
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2006 03:01
She was not, perhaps, having the best of days, but it still counted as one of the better days among all the chaos and disaster that had transpired. To all appearances Imladris was experiencing a tentative, timidly quiet period which could in a bad light pass for some sort of peace, but to Istalë it merely felt like the calm before the storm, that moment of still heavy greyness before the weather unleased its full fury. The elleth wondered if she would ever feel complete without a long knife by her side and bow and arrows slung over her back ever again; it showed the extent to which her life had been so drastically altered. She had spent almost an entire millenia as a scholar, for Eru's sake, almost born and bred to the book and pen, and here she was unable to venture anywhere without battle-ready weapons within her reach. Already the callouses on her soft palms and fingers felt like fixtures; she had almost forgotten the feel of being able to run her hands over a smooth page of parchment without the sensation of roughened, thickened skin snagging on the edge of the page, or the lessening of sensation caused by the protective layer of dead skin that had built up through prolonged usage of the bow.

And now she was being sent to the stables, of all places, to help out with the horses of a weary patrol fresh from the wilds. There seemed to be no such thing as a fixed occupation any more, unless it had to do with defense or fighting, or the most basic of neccessities. Istalë had not been at her precious books, nor her instruments, for too long a time already, instead turning her hands to everything from kitchen duty to helping the healers to rebuilding as much as was possible of Imladris' diminishing defences... and now this. She was not overly fond of horses, but Istalë reasoned it was better than being assigned to any sort of building tasks. The elleth had never enjoyed menial labour of the sort.

Passing through the courtyard on her way down to the stables and smithy, she found the Captain Glyndr seated at the fountain, glaring at his own reflection, apparently lost in thought, and gave the elf with the infamous temper a wide berth.

The stables were quiet, the few stablehands subdued except for two young humans - the boy, Rolan, was it not? And the older one... yes, Aiden, having something of a conversation.

"There innent gonna be a next battle fer me," Rolan said, not looking at Aiden. He was studying the ground, because suddenly a rock had become the most fascinating thing in the world. "Lord Elf told me I weren't t' be anywheres near the battlin' when it starts up 'gain. 'E don't wanna get me in the way, 'gain, 'e says."

Rolan finally looked up into Aiden's face and grimaced slightly; he still hadn't gotten used to the scars on the other's face yet. It was one more reason he avoided coming to meals when he could. The scars everywhere were more reminders of his failures. More looks of disdain and hate directed solely at him.

"I'm not gonna ask fer any 'elp, Aiden," he said slowly and carefully. "I ain't gonna be in the way again an' I sure as the nine 'ells ain't gonna give that damn pointy-ear the satisfaction of knowin' 'e's driven me's mad as 'e is. I ain't gonna ask for 'elp. Jest let me be." He paused and then added as an afterthought, "Please."

Shaking her head sadly, Istalë started on the first horse. The twin sons of Elrond had been her friends, though she had always been closer to their sister Arwen. Did *she* know of her father's death, now? Or Elladan's blindness? Or Elrohir's condition? What saddened her further was the feeling of utter inadequacy and inability to do something... anything. Elrohir had shut her out - indeed, he had done so to just about everyone. She herself seemed rather useless in such situations. She had been a scholar, a book-keeper, and now that there was not time for such pursuits she had become something of a "floater" - shunted around from task to task, whenever extra hands were required. Unable to specialise, unlike, say, the healers or the warriors. She had neither the patience or empathy to heal, nor the courage to fight, nor the skills for either, and several more things besides.

"Stop it," Istalë muttered to herself through clenched teeth. "Self pity ill-becomes you. You can at least do whatever you must to the best of your ability and hope for the best."

Beneath her brush, the horse whickered and shifted its weight noisily in a rustle of straw, turning its great head to nudge her hand as if to say "Get on with it already!" Istalë glared slightly at the animal, but complied.
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2006 05:18
The tall elf Captain stood slowly.
It was no use dwelling on the past. What might have been. What was not now.

He knew he must live for now, for the future of the Imladris that was left.
For those that still loved, and would give their lives to regain what the haven once was.

Glyndr was a Captain in the elven army, a warrior sworn to protect his lands and his race.
Memories had never won a war.

Glyndr had but less than an hour before he had to again lead a patrol northwards. He knew what he would find there, at the northern reaches.
The enemy, gathering. The thought worried him.

Imladris was not ready for another attack…not yet.

His highly honed elven senses told him that an elleth had passed him. He sensed her presence, and her ..well ..what did he sense from her ?….A fear of him? ….or maybe it was a hatred borne of his infamous temper and ice coldness? A reputation well founded.

Glyndr could not tell .
Everyone seemed to be keeping his or her distance from him. He was used to that.

The Captain made his way towards the paddocks; He was an expert with horses.
He had to be with a mount like Sylstar.

He sat on the fence and watched intently as Diablo worked with this years foals, the young elven bred horses already at this age training for war.

“Diablo,” Glyndr called to the stallion, “Need any help?, I can give you an hour or so”.
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2006 10:06
One might have found it unusual to talk to horses; not these Elves, though. They spoke to the horses as if it was natural. The horses bloomed under the attention and strove to reach greater heights because of it. It was what separated the immortal animals from their shorter-lived counterparts.

When Glyndr called to the black stallion, he looked over and gave a short whistle, indicating he would just be a moment. Then, the massive animal moved through the ranks of colts and fillies, nudging them a little bit with his nose and snorting corrections. Satisfied for the moment, he left his charges to idle about for a bit whilst he 'conversed' in a manner with the Elf captain.

“Need any help?, I can give you an hour or so”.

Thoughtfully, Diablo rubbed his nose on a foreleg before nodding energetically. His mouth opened to reveal a set of ivory teeth that closed around the Elf's forearm and pulled him forward towards the horses.

He 'introduced' Glyndr to a pair of the younger colts who were a bit further behind than most of the others. One was a shy faded chestnut and the other an inquisitive bay. They both came forward and touched their noses to their front hooves, the equine equivalent of a bow. Diablo snorted in approval and blew a thanks into the palm of Glyndr's hand before going back to put the rest of the group through their paces.

Rolan watched Diablo walk off to go train the other horses. He turned and followed, away from Aiden and his false hope. Maybe the stallion would need a hand with some of the more rambunctious youngsters.

There was someone else there, Rolan saw, when he found Diablo and the other horses. Long, raven locks betrayed the Captain's identity to the ex-thief. It was Glyndr. He hoped the Elf wouldn't see him. It would spare his brain trying to come up with excuses for not being more... more serious about this whole war thing.
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2006 11:45
((Tsk tsk, Glyndr, shouldn't you be resting? *wags a finger at him*))

"Walking away isn't going to change the facts, Rolan!" Aiden yelled after the lad. "People are still going to see your failures if you walk away! You can change that by facing this and getting better." The boy kept walking. "I'm only trying to help you."

As Rolan kept talking, Aiden turned and began to walk back to the Last Homely House. "Fine then," he called over his shoulder, "wallow in self-pity. Hate yourself for what happened. But you're only defeating yourself this way. You can't change what happened."

--------

"Oh, so it was Rolan who broke the table?" Eadoin asked with a grin. "Arato told me that it was Aiden who broke the table by dancing on it. He hasn't had any elvish wine since that banquet."

Eadoin looked up as the hawk screamed above them. The bird wasn't visible, but the cry echoed in the still air for several moments afterwards. Unconsciously, Eadoin pulled Arianna closer to him, as if to keep her safe from the world.

"It's all going to end eventually, Ari. How it's going to end is the question. But until then, just try to hold on. I'm here for you."

----------

Arato entered the room where the messenger birds were housed and went directly to one of the elves tending them and presented the letter to him.

"I was wondering if I could borrow one of your birds to send a message to a man in Edoras," Arato said. "Are there any you'd be willing to send on such a journey?"

"I'll see what I can do," the elf replied, taking the message. Arato nodded his thanks and left to find his brothers. Exiting the buildings, he came across Aiden stomping across the courtyard. He stepped into his brother's path and held out his hands to stop the younger man.

"What's wrong?" Arato asked. Aiden looked up and growled something unintelligible. "I didn't quite catch that. Could you repeat it?"

"Rolan's blaming himself for everything that went wrong in the battle, from Lord Elrond's death to my scars - that part not verbally, of course, but he still winces whenever he sees them - and is refusing to train so he can get better and not make the same mistakes, and on top of it all, he's completely swimming in self-hate and it's really starting to bother me!" Aiden said quickly. Arato had to pause for a second to work it all out.

"And what do you want me to do about it?" he asked.

"I don't know, talk to him or something! Maybe he'll listen to you. He's over by Diablo's training grounds." Aiden walked off, still grumbling under his breath. Arato shook his head and went in the direction indicated by Aiden.

((For the sake of this plotline, there are birds intelligent enough to find a person with a message, okay?))
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2006 11:39
OOC..I tried to make him rest Nimmy ,but as usual he wouldn't listen! Said something about not needing any at the moment ???

Glyndr tensed instinctively as Diablo took his arm in strong ivory teeth.
The Elf remembered only too well what damage those teeth could inflict, and how the stallion could throw a man like a rag doll if he chose.

Diablo and he had formed a mutual tolerance of each other in the past, but since the battle the stallion seemed changed a little in his temprament.

The Elf Captain nodded in answer to Diablo's request, then turned to the two colts.

He assessed each of them will a well practiced, expert eye.
Both would make formidable warhorses, of that he was certain.
They just needed more time than the others to get there.

"You my lad", Glyndr stroked the soft ears of the chestnut, "You must learn to find your courage".

The Elf turned to the bay, who was standing ears pricked, eyeing him with the same intenseness as Glyndr was watching him with,"And you lad must learn to curb yours".

Glyndr shook his hair back over his shoulders then led the two colts to a quiet part of the paddock, away from the others.

"You can help each other learn as much as I can help you, Work together, it is often the best way" Glyndr said as he began to work with the two young horses.

After a while Glyndr was aware of someone close, he turned , his keen sight just made out the figure of Rolan.
"Ah, the boy", Glyndr thought , "I wonder where he has been hiding of late?".

The Elf Captain walked towards Rolan, the two colts following at his side.

"Boy", Glyndr fixed Rolan with cold, ice blue eyes, " Don't try to hide from me, come here and talk. I have not seen you in days to speak with, any more than I have the others who came here ".

The Elf's ice blue eyes glanced past Rolan, he arched an eyebrow as he saw Arato approaching.

"Typical of you humans," he growled, " You avoid me for days , now two of you appear at once. I wonder what he wants?".

[Edited on 19/4/2006 by elflyn]
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 19, 2006 05:56
Narmion sat alone in the garden of Imladris, morosely glaring at a small flower that was trying its best to bloom. His thoughts weren’t on the bud, however… they were lingering in the events of the past months. It was difficult to comprehend, all that had happened… Rivendell had been their last hope for peace, and it had offered such peace for a long while. It hadn’t lasted, though… he could still remember the fight, how desperate those bloody hours had been. He’d gotten separated from his friends and had ended up battling alone against a swarm of orcs. He’d held his own, of course, but an orc-blade going through his shoulder had brought him down. The old injury there had been healed, but the pain at its re-opening had been unlike anything he’d ever felt… and it had left him helpless.

Who had saved him he still wasn’t sure… he thought it might have been Glyndr, but if he had the other elf hadn’t mentioned it during the few brief moments they’d seen eachother since. If he was able to go out on patrol, then Narmion would see his friend often… but though the wound was fast healing his arm was mostly useless, and so he could do nothing but mope around the city. He couldn’t even do much to help with the rebuilding, which was hard to take.
There were others worse-off, he knew… the loss of Elrond had been a hard sorrow to bear, and what his sons had endured alongside that….? Arato had suffered the loss of a finger, and there were others in Imarldis who had lost an arm, or a hand… but the dark-haired ellon couldn’t get over just feeling depressed.

He wondered if, perhaps, Glyndr was in from patrol… and though he didn’t really know where to look, Narmion dragged himself from the bench and went in search. Mostly he just wandered aimlessly around for a while, avoiding talking to anyone he passed… but he soon spotted Glyndr, standing with Rolan and Arato and a few horses. Diablo was present, which made the elf smile.

He approached them wordlessly, not really knowing what to say. Sighing as he came to a stop, though, he attempted a wan smile. He could sense that the conversation wasn’t exactly ‘pleasant’, but now that he was here he might as well try to join in on it. He’d been keeping to himself too much anyway….

“Hello, Glyndr,” he said, then turning to the mortals, “And you two… “

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Lalaith had been busy after the battle with tending to the wounded, though inwardly she was ever fretting over her husband. For herself, she hadn’t fought… like a coward she’d hidden herself away and just prayed like mad that her dearest love would be alright- but she hadn’t fought. Of that she was still ashamed… but the sight of orcs swarming through the valley had frightened her to no end. And it had eased Glyndr’s mind, anyway, to know that she wasn’t out trying to battle those nasty creatures…

And though there was no *real* need for her to stay in the healing halls of Imladris, since most of the wounded were able to go about their business, she remained there. She hadn’t rested well in weeks, and her sadness over the losses they’d suffered were still deep. This was her home… it was supposed to be the one safe haven she had in Arda, and even it had failed. And she missed Glyndr. She was proud of him for continuing to lead the able soldiers, but she wanted him with her! There was never any knowing if he’d return at all, and she hated lying alone in their bed at night and fearing that he was somewhere hurt, or dieing…

To busy herself she kept at her work cleaning the healing halls, staying mostly there and in the chambers that were hers and her love’s. She couldn’t bear the thought of walking around Imladris and seeing it after what had happened…
The only song that had passed her lips for what seemed endless days had been a song of lament and sadness, and it still burned in her heart. Sighing to herself she now sat in her chamber, looking at a book about herbs and medicines but not really reading the words……

(well, its not much, but its something! I hope this is ok… and sorry again for my long absence!)

Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 19, 2006 10:52
"Boy", Glyndr fixed Rolan with cold, ice blue eyes, " Don't try to hide from me, come here and talk. I have not seen you in days to speak with, any more than I have the others who came here ".

Rolan sighed, but did as he was bid, coming closer to the Elf Captain slowly, with his eyes fixed on a point just above Glyndr's left shoulder. He couldn't - wouldn't - look him in the eyes. Not now.

"What's there t' be talkin' 'bout?" he asked dully. "Nuthin' goin' on thatcha don'ts know 'bout already. An' truth tell, ye prob'ly know more'n any o' us 'bout what's a'goin' on outside this place."

"Typical of you humans," Glyndr growled, " You avoid me for days , now two of you appear at once. I wonder what he wants?".

Rolan turned to see what the Elf was talking about. Arato was coming. He looked back to Glyndr and mildly replied, "I wouldn't call it so grand a thing as 'avoidin''. After alls, it's ye who hasn't been near the place for longer'n it takes t' wolf down a meal an' be out back on the trail."

He frowned. "Though I'm agreein' wit ye 'bout wanting t' know what 'e wants."

Narmion offered a greeting to which Rolan merely ducked his head. He thought briefly about saying something, but decided against it. He heard the whistle that Diablo used to dismiss his 'class' of horses and allowed himself a smile as the black horse cantered over and said hello in his own fashion.

Which was nudging Narmion hard enough in the stomach to nearly topple him. As the horse danced out of reach, Rolan swore he could see a trace of mischief shining in those diabolic eyes. Diablo was safer to be around, maybe, but it didn't stop him from being insane.

"Oh, so it was Rolan who broke the table?" Eadoin asked with a grin. "Arato told me that it was Aiden who broke the table by dancing on it. He hasn't had any elvish wine since that banquet."

Ari smiled tentatively. "I'm sure it's a wise thing for him to avoid. Elves have a hard time getting drunk, though I've heard that once or twice the Twins managed it. Apparently they caused quite the stir, so whenever they show up at a banquet, Rodwin makes sure not to serve the most potent Elven wine. Of course," she continued light-heartedly, "even the least potent of our wines are enough to make you" she reached up and tweaked his nose, "drunk by the time you've finished the first goblet. Let alone the six or eight Rolan and Aiden each had."

Unconsciously, Eadoin pulled Arianna closer to him, as if to keep her safe from the world.

"It's all going to end eventually, Ari. How it's going to end is the question. But until then, just try to hold on. I'm here for you."

"I know you are," she replied.

OOc// Ookies, Nimmy. We has intelligent birdies! *grabs birds and starts talking to them* Tweet-tweet-twitter-twit-tweeeeeet!!!!
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 19, 2006 12:48
((OMG, Sal, you crack me up. Whoo!))

"Aye, you have a point about one glass making me tipsy," Eadoin replied, wrinkling his nose slightly. He winked at her. "Remind me to stick to ale or water from now on, alright?"

Suddenly, there was a rustling in the bushes. Eadoin released Arianna and stepped in front of her protectively, notching an arrow to his bow and pointing it at the rustling foliage. Aiden stepped out and stopped dead at the sight of an arrow pointed at his face.

"I'm not interrupting anything now, am I?" he asked, placing his hand on the arrow and lowering the bow to point between his feet. "Sorry if I was. I'll just be going."

"Aiden, wait," Eadoin said, hurrying after his brother, stowing his bow and arrow away. Aiden turned in time to catch Eadoin as his younger brother threw himself at him. Eadoin's arms wrapped around the back of Aiden's neck. "Sorry," he whispered, hugging his brother.

"We're all on edge," Aiden replied, patting his brother on the head. He looked at Arianna and grinned. "Sorry for stealing your lover, Ari. Here, I'll return him." He straightened Eadoin up and patted him on the shoulder. "I'll talk to you later, alright?"

"Yes," Eadoin replied, straightening his clothing out and assuming a serious face again. He waved as his brother disappeared and turned back to Arianna. "Where were we now?" he asked with a smile, wrapping Ari in his arms again.

----------

Meanwhile, Aiden found a secluded bench to sit down on. Resting his hands on his thighs, he let his head hang and sighed. It was nice that Eadoin and Arianna were trying to set their relationship to rights, but did it have to be *now* of all times? Really, there was a battle looming over the valley of Imladris.

"What if she died, Eadoin?" Aiden asked aloud. "Do you think you could take it?" Aiden dearly hoped so. It was hard enough for him to see his brother so stern. He didn't think he could take Eadoin slipping into depression, or worse, losing his mind in grief like Lord Elrohir had.

"Please, Eru, don't let it come to that. It's hard enough to keep smiling as it is," he whispered, leaning forward and resting his head between his elbows.

----------

As Arato approached Diablo's 'classroom' for young horses, he noticed Glyndr, Rolan, and the black horse watching him approach. He came to the fense and leaned against it, watching the horses.

"Mae govannen, Captain Glyndr," Arato greeted the dark-haired elf. "How go the patrols?"
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 20, 2006 08:03
The Elf Captain looked closely at Rolan as he spoke, he could tell easily that the lad was very uneasy.

Glyndr sensed that it was something more than his fiery, unpredictable temper that worried the boy.
“Yes”, Glyndr said slowly, his voice low, as if he was distracted, “Yes, you are right, I am rarely in one place for long. Duty takes me away".

A darkness seemed to cloud his blue eyes, “I am never where I should be”, he whispered, almost to himself, “ Where Lalaith is…with my wife”.

Glyndr felt a deep guilt as he remembered the look of sadness in Lalaith’s eyes as he had left her after the last, rare , snatched moment they had together.
Glyndr had snapped at her for some trivial reason, and then had left for the patrol.

He felt guilty that he had not even said he was sorry before he left. The captain loved her deeply, War seemed always to get in the way.

“Boy”, Glyndr turned back to Rolan, “I have to leave in a few minutes, perhaps Diablo may trust you to continue with these two colts while I am on patrol”.
Glyndr frowned, “If you feel capable of it” he added.

Turning to Arato he nodded a curt nod in reply to the man’s greeting.
“The news is not good at the borders”, he replied to Arato’s question, “ The enemy is gathering to the south and east, We ride north in five minutes”.

Glyndr paused and pushed a stray lock of raven hair behind a bejewelled pointed ear, “ I know what we will find there, and I fear it”.

The Elf stopped suddenly. “Narmion”, he said with his familiar half smile, “ It is good to see you again . It has been too long”.
The smile faded as he noticed the Elf’s expression.

Glyndr understood part of how Narmion felt.
He too had suffered an injury that had weakened his right arm, but where his own had healed , and he had regained some strength, Narmion’s arm seemed to have not.

“I have to get to the stables”, Glyndr said as he leapt over the fence, “ Boy…make sure you do a good job with those colts” he warned Rolan.

“Maybe you would like to join my section? ” the Captain’s cold eyes met Arato’s , “We need all the riders we can get”.

He left Arato to decide, and turned to Narmion, “ Narmion, will you walk with me to the stables?” he asked , “ We have not spoken in weeks, you must tell me how you are”.

Glyndr walked towards the stables, he hoped Narmion would follow.
He stopped just inside the stable doorway and looked back towards the courtyard.
His eyes fixed on Elenwen.

“Who is that female?” he demanded of anyone who would answer, “ I have not seen her in Imladris since I have been here”.

[Edited on 20/4/2006 by elflyn]
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 20, 2006 09:19
((HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY! *bounce* I got my learner's permit today!))

Arato thought about Glyndr's offer as he leaned against the fence. With a shrug, Arato brushed some of his dark hair from his eyes. Riding with Glyndr's patrol would make him feel as if he were doing something productive towards the defense of the valley. And Glyndr *did* need a few more riders. He made up his mind to go.

"You're still hiding from us, aren't you?" Arato said, turning to Rolan. "It makes us all worry about you, Aiden especially. I don't think he's completely used to the way you are now. None of us are really used to the changes."

Arato clapped a hand on the lad's shoulder. "It doesn't matter what you do, as long as you're doing what you think is right. I should go if I wish to join Glyndr on the patrol. " He turned and began to walk off, hoping to run into one of his brothers before he left.
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2006 06:04
Istalë did not seem to realise she had been going over the same spot on ther horse's back for the past few minutes as she watched and listened to everything going on around her.

She was not sure if she liked the feeling or not - the elleth had a way with becoming something of a background fixture when there were more people in one room. She just seemed to melt away into insignificant-ness, allowing the activities and conversations of the room's other occupants simply wash over her. On the plus side, it was a good way to keep updated on just about all sorts of random things that were going on without having to express her own opinions.

The others were talking about training horses and patrols. Istalë did the mental equivalent of a shrug. The particular horse Glyndr was talking to was one that she had always endeavoured to keep her distance from. The stallion was large and black, and from Istalë's "un-physical bookish scholar" viewpoint, a health hazard. And scary, though she would not admit it.

As the small cluster of men and elves dispersed, she turned her attention back to the horse she was cleaning up. With a final swipe down his rump, Istalë rinsed off the grooming brushes and other such implements and moved on to the next animal. Behind her, the boy Rolan was left alone with the large black and the colts. From what she had gathered, he was training warhorses. It might be interesting to watch, she mused, though she knew little about these matters.

Before she began work on the second horse she stretched a little, shaking out the beginnings of a crick in her neck that had probably come about from quite some time spent staring at the same patch on the horse's back while simultaneously attempting to keep literally an eye on everything else going on. Through the open archway of the stable door the courtyard was just visible, and there was someone new there. Someone she had never seen around Imladris before. Glyndr's receding figure halted by the stranger. Istalë's hand paused over the horse's broad back as she stared openly, curiosity piqued.
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2006 08:38
"You're still hiding from us, aren't you?" Arato said, turning to Rolan. "It makes us all worry about you, Aiden especially. I don't think he's completely used to the way you are now. None of us are really used to the changes."

Rolan shrugged and started to move away towards the two foals who Glyndr had been working with earlier. He mumbled something about being needed more out here than in there.

Arato clapped a hand on the lad's shoulder. "It doesn't matter what you do, as long as you're doing what you think is right. I should go if I wish to join Glyndr on the patrol. " He turned and began to walk off, hoping to run into one of his brothers before he left.

Rolan watched Glyndr, Narmion and Arato leave together. A slight frown creased his forehead. He leaned over to Diablo and whispered into the horse's ear. The stallion looked thoughtfully at the retreating three and bobbed his head energetically. Rolan gave a grim smile and clambered up onto Diablo's back.

He rode around bareback for a little bit as Diablo praised each colt or filly and then sent them back to their watchers. After all the younglings had dispersed, Diablo went to gather a company comprised of some of the better-trained Elven mounts. They seemed eager.

They were eager. The light gleaming in the eyes of those riderless horses was the light of insanity. These were crazy horses, unpredictable and full of vengeful anger towards the things that had killed their riders. These were no ordinary horses, and they held a grudge.

Rolan was mounted on Diablo, the only one of the nine horses to be wearing tack. It was the only way to keep the boy on the stallion during whatever fighting might come up. The high cantle and pummle had rings for straps that belted him firmly on. He would not come off.

The saddle was black, and the bit-less bridle Diablo had also agreed to (in order to keep Rolan from yanking on his mane) was black as well. Rolan himself was clothed in black, and his hair was pulled back out of his face by a tie.

They were there, all of them, standing together in formation when the true patrol rode up, led by Glyndr. Rolan smiled coldly, his expression enough to freeze water. Something was changing. This time, he wa ready for the fight he knew would be coming. He'd read enough into what the Elf Captain hadn't said to know that Glyndr expected trouble on patrol.

"We're ready to go, Captain," was all he said. It was all that was needed.

"We're all on edge," Aiden replied, patting his brother on the head. He looked at Arianna and grinned. "Sorry for stealing your lover, Ari. Here, I'll return him." He straightened Eadoin up and patted him on the shoulder. "I'll talk to you later, alright?"

"Yes," Eadoin replied, straightening his clothing out and assuming a serious face again. He waved as his brother disappeared and turned back to Arianna. "Where were we now?" he asked with a smile, wrapping Ari in his arms again.

She smiled at him. "I do have things to do besides sit here with you, Eadoin, but most of them could use a second pair of hands to help. Care to join me?" She extracted herself from his arms and held out a hand. "I might even be able to find you a job in the kitchen so you can ransack it for sweets to your heart's content," she teased.
Linwe_Saralonde
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2006 03:00
Elenwen stood in the stables, calmly attending to her mount, when she heard footsteps coming her way, followed by voices. But no any kind of voices, she soon realized, for these ones had noticed her presence and would soon start to ask questions...

The elleth shuddered. She had never really been known around here, but a part of her did not expect to be treated as a total stranger either.
Elenwen was from Rivendell after all; she had only done a lot of wondering over the years. What was wrong with that? But the elleth had to admit that she never really fit in anywhere, whether it was here in Imladris, or in other places.

I should have left for the Havens... the elleth thought bitterly. She had always felt the hypnosive call of the Elven ships beckoning her to them, but something always had kept her in Middle-earth.

" And I'll be damned if I know what!", Elenwen said to herself, even more annoyed than she was and ready to face the voice questioning himself on her presence here.

“Who is that female?” he demanded of anyone who would answer, “ I have not seen her in Imladris since I have been here”.

Elenwen turned to the ellon, an unreadable expression in her sky blue eyes.
" That female," she told the ellon, is coming back to her home, where she had been away from many years. Now may I ask who you are?"

The elleth hated her words at the moment she uttered them. Why did she always have to sound so bitter, a little voice deep down kept on asking? But Elenwen silenced this other part of her, anxiously (though she would not admit it) waiting for an answer.

[Edited on 23/4/2006 by Linwe_Saralonde]
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2006 04:10
Giving the horse a rubdown in record time, Istalë packed up and moved back to the main buildings for a wash, wrinkling her nose ever so slightly as she realised she smelled of sweaty horse and oil and leather. Not the most pleasant combination. But she was in for even more unpleasantry.

In the courtyard Glyndr had fixed ice-blue eyes, sharp with suspicion, on the newcomer. The newcomer was staring back, seemingly impassible. And oh dear, had she just... talked back to the captain too? Istalë shuddered and thought about the wisdom of getting out of the immediate vicinity. She did not like to see people get into arguments, and when one of those people was the infamous elf captain... But she had to give the newcomer, whoever she was, points for gall. If Glyndr ever gave *her* a stare like that Istalë would more likely have shrivelled up and died. Thankfully her dealings over the years had limited her contact with him...

... not for much longer. As she reached the safety of the porch she was cornered by the ellon who had once been the chief librarian of Imladris in happier times - though he still liked to press his superiority over her, Istalë thought a little bitterly.

It took a while for his message to sink in. With the shortage of able-bodied elves they were now turning to... less obvious choices, to allow the weary warriors time to rest and heal. Which meant that *she*, Istalë, had been - to use his words - *volunteered* to join Glyndr's patrol, at least for now. So she had better get changed and packed and be down here again on the double and mind you pick a good horse from the stables because it was not going to be easy going... If looks were daggers, the glare Istalë directed at him would have shredded him like meat in a blender.

And so it was half an hour later Istalë was standing, still slightly bewildered and in a small amount of shock at the way things had happened so quickly, geared up in travelling clothes and leading a light bay gelding. The scholar gulped and waited for the captain to notice her.
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2006 04:32
After a short but fruitless search for either of his siblings, Arato entered his room, picked up his pack and the few weapons he didn't carry everywhere with him, and returned to the courtyard. He hurried to Glyndr.

"If you don't have a problem with it, I'll be joining your patrol this time. You *are* a bit short on riders, and perhaps another set of hands and eyes will help you out, human though I may be," he said, nodding to the Captain before entering the dark stables for Bane.

"Hey there, boy," Arato said softly, entering the horse's stall and rubbing the dark bay stallion on his white nose stripe. Bane butted Arato's hand gently. "We're heading out in a short while," he said, saddling Bane. A few moments later, he led his mount out into the courtyard and stood awaiting Glyndr's orders to ride.

He was quite shocked to see Rolan and Diablo come into the courtyard. He was even more surprised when Rolan announced that he was ready to go. Arato looked at the horse and his rider with concern. Perhaps Rolan had gone mad? He stepped up to Diablo's side.

"Rolan, are you feeling alright?" he asked softly of the boy. "This is unusual, even for you."

----------

She smiled at him. "I do have things to do besides sit here with you, Eadoin, but most of them could use a second pair of hands to help. Care to join me?" She extracted herself from his arms and held out a hand. "I might even be able to find you a job in the kitchen so you can ransack it for sweets to your heart's content," she teased.

"Oh, you could?" Eadoin asked sweetly. "That would be nice." He grinned, showing he was kidding. "I'd be happy to help you." Eadoin took Arianna's hand. "Just tell me what you need me to do for you, oh beautiful one. I am yours to command." Eadoin led Arianna lead him through the gardens towards whatever needed to be done.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 23, 2006 07:17
Narmion sighed when Rolan ‘avoidied’ his greeting, but he decided to ignore it greeted Arato politely.. Everyone had been affected by what had happened, and though he wished he had some comforting or word to give the boy he could think of nothing. He couldn’t really encourage himself, after all.

The Elf stopped suddenly. “Narmion”, he said with his familiar half smile, “ It is good to see you again . It has been too long”.
The smile faded as he noticed the Elf’s expression.

The elf didn’t say anything, but he found himself looking away. That Glyndr had regained the use of his arm he couldn’t help envying. He knew why his own wasn’t healing quickly, of course; those months ago when he’d taken the first hurt in his shoulder the blade had been poisoned, and had it not been for their meeting with Arato on the battle-field he might have died then. The wound had healed that time, however… but the second injury there had been grievous. Glyndr knew that, Narmion guessed. The warrior wouldn’t feel pity to him, but there was something akin to it in his gaze, and it only made the injured ellon feel worse.

I have to get to the stables”, Glyndr said as he leapt over the fence, “ Boy…make sure you do a good job with those colts” he warned Rolan.

“Maybe you would like to join my section? ” the Captain’s cold eyes met Arato’s , “We need all the riders we can get”.

He left Arato to decide, and turned to Narmion, “ Narmion, will you walk with me to the stables?” he asked , “ We have not spoken in weeks, you must tell me how you are”.

“I will,” Narmion answered, but instead of hopping over the fence he had to go around. Inwardly he was writhing over the fact that he was unable to join the patrol. His thoughts wandered to joining anyway. He had one good arm, didn’t he? It would be better than moping around and not doing anything to help at all! So caught up in his musings was he that he didn’t do as his friend had asked and tell him how he’d been- which was obvious anyway.

He stopped just inside the stable doorway and looked back towards the courtyard.
His eyes fixed on Elenwen.

“I’ve never seen her,” Narmion commented, but his words seemed to be unheard as the elleth made her own opinion known…

Elenwen turned to the ellon, an unreadable expression in her sky blue eyes.
" That female," she told the ellon, “is coming back to her home, where she had been away from many years. Now may I ask who you are?"

“Pardon his bluntness,” Narmion said with a half-grin, “It gets him in trouble often. As for me, I’m Narmion,.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lalaith had finally decided to leave her room and go find something to eat, and as she was walking through Imladris (and trying not to think about depressing matters) that she heard two passing elves comment in their conversation that Captain Glyndr’s patrol was preparing to set out shortly… and she stopped in her tracks and blinked in surprise. He’d arrived back to Imladris and hadn’t even come to see her?! Had he planned on leaving without coming to say good-bye? She couldn’t forget the last time she’d seen him- he’d lost his temper with her, something that had become all too common- and over something trivial, at that. It still hurt when she thought about it…. But there was no way she’d let him get away again before seeing her!

Completely forgetting about eating she turned and made her hasty way for the stables, hoping to find him there. She didn’t know whether to be angry or hurt, and she wondered if he was angry with her- but none of it mattered as she quickened her pace even more.

Coming to the stables she saw some of her husband’s friends- including the youngest of the mortals on Diablo, looking as if he were ready to ride out to war- but she ignored them all, searching for her husband. She spotted him standing with Narmion, speaking to another elleth and felt a stab of jealousy, and almost decided to leave before he’d seen her… but, taking a deep breath she stalked over to him. Wordlessly she approached and then stood to a halt beside him, looking at him expectantly as she ignored the elleth and Narmion.

(hope this is ok!)
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2006 08:24
“Whoever she is, she has a nerve, speaking to me in that way”, Glyndr growled a whisper to Narmion.

Glyndr turned sharply as Elenwen spoke. He found himself looking into blue eyes only a shade or two darker than his own.

“Coming home eh?”, the Captain fixed her with an unblinking stare, his voice cold and clear, “Then I fear that you will find ‘home’ much changed since last you were last here”.

The Elf Captain paused for a moment as he studied her closely, “I am Captain Glyndr”, he replied to her question. “And if you are as good with a bow or a sword as you are with your tongue , then join me on patrol”.

Glyndr was about to go to get Sylstar when Lalaith appeared at his side.

“Lalaith”, Glyndr cursed himself inwardly. Again his thoughts had been on the army and war, and not on whom they should have been. His Lalaith.

“Come Lalaith”, the Captain led her a little way away from the others, just far enough so they would not be overheard.

“Lalaith, my love”, Glyndr smiled his inimitable half smile, “Forgive me,”.
He stroked her face with a gold ringed finger, “I should not have snapped at you, it was very wrong of me”,.

Glyndr sighed deeply , and ran his hand through his hair ,”Valar! Lalaith , this war is ruling our marriage”.

He looked deep into her eyes, “ I have to leave you once again, I would give anything to have it so much different, that for once I did not have to go,but it cannot be. Not yet”.
Glyndr stroked her face again, wrapping a strand of her hair around his fingers, “Lalaith, I love you, forgive me for ever hurting you, I never meant it to be that way”.

Glyndr turned back to get Sylstar, his cold heart colder for his leaving the one who was his life.

As he led the silver grey stallion out into the courtyard he noticed an elleth leading a light bay horse.
“You”, he snapped, “I suppose you are here to join the patrol, “Mount up and get in line”.

The Captain leapt onto his warhorse’s back and glanced back at her, “Do as you are ordered, and we will get on fine” he said as he tossed his dark hair back out of his eyes. “I hope you know how to fight” he added calmly.

“Arato”, Glyndr eyed the man with a cool look, “Ah, so you have taken up my request, I have no problem at all with you joining the patrol . Now mount up and join the section”.
Glyndr led the patrol towards the gate. He halted suddenly.
The Captain could not believe what he saw. Diablo, Rolan and a regiment of elven horses.

Glyndr sensed and saw that there was something very different about Rolan, he shivered. Very different.

“We are ready” Rolan had said. Glyndr nodded in acknowledgement.
“Then we ride north” he said as he turned Sylstar towards the northern horizon.

The Captain slowed andlooked back as he rode through the gate. “Lalaith” he whispered, “Take care of yourself, you are my life”.

Linwe_Saralonde
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2006 02:11
Elenwen raised her brow, unaffected by the captain's cold tone.
" I've noticed that, thank you.", she replied coldly. " So what's been going on?"
She looked at the company.

" Well whatever it is, it seems to have affected your numbers. Imladris looks completely empty comapred to when I last was here... But yes, captain, as you so very well just stated, I do have some other skills than the use of my toungue...".

The elleth started at Glyndr, with a "what are you taking me for" kind of glare and produced a long and shining sword from her cape.
" I am trained in sword play.", she told the captian " and as I see this place needs help, I will join you."

Elenwen turned her attention to Narmion.

“Pardon his bluntness,” Narmion said with a half-grin, “It gets him in trouble often. As for me, I’m Narmion,.”

She looked at him with an imperceptible twitch of her lip.
" I don't wonder why it does...", Elenwen told him, ignoring the captain for the moment. My name is Elenwen."

And with these words she saddled her horse and made ready to follow the company... wherever that was.

[Edited on 24/4/2006 by Linwe_Saralonde]
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2006 11:26
"Oh, you could?" Eadoin asked sweetly. "That would be nice." He grinned, showing he was kidding. "I'd be happy to help you." Eadoin took Arianna's hand. "Just tell me what you need me to do for you, oh beautiful one. I am yours to command." Eadoin led Arianna lead him through the gardens towards whatever needed to be done.

Ari smirked slightly. "There is plenty of armour that is in dire ned of mending, with all the hands that would have done the work out now, practicing." Her tone grew darker as she finished speaking and she looked grim. "But," she continued, in an effort to lighten the mood once again, "you can go wrestle with the leather and metal while the rest of us do the serious work - relaxing!"

With a tender embrace and sweet smile, Ari shooed Eadoin off to the armoury where he would find several of the weaponsmasters, hard at work fixing everything that had been torn, ripped, or rusted since the battle. So much stuff! It was good they knew what they were doing, Ari thought to herself as she walked briskly towards the Last Homely House. For once today, she was going to actually do something productive: help Rodwin get dinner ready.

Arato was quite shocked to see Rolan and Diablo come into the courtyard. He was even more surprised when Rolan announced that he was ready to go. Arato looked at the horse and his rider with concern. Perhaps Rolan had gone mad? He stepped up to Diablo's side.

"Rolan, are you feeling alright?" he asked softly of the boy. "This is unusual, even for you."

Rolan looked down at Arato's face with a kind of cold detatchment that generally was reminiscent of a dying person. He nodded curtly towards the man, but did not speak at all.

Diablo more than made up for his rider's silence. He snorted and squealed, neighed and whinnied enough for a dozen horses, as he greeted Arato enthuastically.

Rolan fixed his eyes on the Elf maiden who had arrived and was even now conversing with Glyndr. Or, perhaps 'conversing' was too tame a word. She and the Elf Captain were on the verge of a shouting match, the ex-thief judged. Perhaps the only factor that had prevented it from happening already was the presence of so many others around.

Then she mounted, after a brief exchange with Narmion, and Rolan turned his eyes to the Elf Captain once more. He felt tense, and knew without knowing how he knew that something was going to happen. And Diablo knew too. So did the other Elven horses. They stood, deathly quiet, waiting for Glyndr's signal, at which they reared as one and screamed their challenges into the suddenly too-quiet place.

He didn't realize he'd screamed along with them until Diablo had come crashing down on his four feet and Rolan had felt his throat burning. "Let's go," he whispered to the black stallion.
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2006 02:19
Eadoin sighed and did as he was told as he was shooed off towards the armoury. He shook his head and smiled a little bit as he went. So Ari was letting him do something *important* to their cause. Good. He thought for a moment before deciding that the quickest route to the armoury was through the main courtyard.

Suddenly, he heard a scream of horses coming from the courtyard. Eadoin broke into a run out of worry, wondering what in the world was happening. When he burst through the bushes, he was confronted with a patrol getting ready to head out. And was that... Arato with them?

"Arato!" Eadoin called.

----------

"Alright then..." Arato murmured, backing slowly away from Rolan. The boy was beginning to scare him. He led Bane over to an open area of cobblestones and mounted up, reining the bay in hard as the Elvish horses screamed. Bane was agitated by that sound, and was beginning to shift nervously beneath him.

"Easy, Bane, easy," he whispered, leaning forward and rubbing the stallion's neck. The scream stopped and the patrol waited on their captain.

"Arato!" Eadoin called, hurrying towards him. He looked worried. Arato frowned at his brother.

"What are you doing?" he asked softly.

"I... what are you doing?" Eadoin asked in reply, crossing his arms. He scowled at his brother.

"I'm joining Glyndr's patrol. He is short on riders. Tell Aiden where I've gone the next time I see him."

"But...!"

"I'll be careful. Besides, you should worry more about Rolan," Arato whispered, leaning towards his younger brother. "I'm not sure what's up with him, but I'm worried."

"He's on this patrol?" Eadoin was surprised.

"Aye, but he's not himself."

"Be careful, alright? And watch out for everyone." Eadoin turned to leave. "I should be heading towards the armoury. I'll see you when you come back."

"If I come back," Arato replied. Eadoin turned around and scowled at him.

"When you come back."
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2006 05:17
The Elf Captain’s expression had not changed when Elenwen drew her sword, except perhaps the coldness she had seen in ice blue eyes had become ice frost.

“ You will find out what devilment has taken Imladris before long” he had answered, “ Join me, Use that Elven sword for what it was forged for. To destroy what evil waits out there”.

Glyndr led the patrol towards the northern road, they would then take the less travelled paths to the borders.

He still seethed inside. No one dared to hold his deadly glare for more than a few seconds.
Elenwen , an elleth, had dared. Glyndr would watch her carefully.

The Captain glanced back over his shoulder at the patrol as they came close to the borders.
There were so few of them.

Tired, warriors, with new recruits who had never seen battle, and a regiment of elven horses.
Glyndr had faith in all of them. But would faith be enough?

He had seen enemy camps not far from the southern, eastern and western boundaries, he knew the north would bring more than just a few camps.

“ Be on your guard” he called back, “ If we meet with the enemy, wait for my command, do NOT attack unless I give the signal”.

Glyndr’s well trained, military eye once again surveyed his rag-tag section, “ From here on we do not turn back until we have covered the northern territories, I cannot promise that there will be no dangers”.

The raven haired Elf ran a many ringed hand through his hair, he paused before saying, “ I give any one of you who does not want to continue, the chance to turn back now. There will be no shame in doing so, anyone who cannot give their full dedication to the task will be nothing more than a hindrance…Anyone who wishes to leave .Go now”.
Linwe_Saralonde
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2006 05:49
" It would be cowardness to turn back now, knowing there will be danger." Elenwen said, bringing her mount close to Glyndr's. "I'm staying. Whatever devilry is at hand, we shall track it down or die trying."

A grim expression on her delicate traits, Elenwen thought of the years when, alone in the wilderness, she used to hunt Orcs. They had come fairly close to the borders of Rivendell, but never had she imagined that any evil would dare to cross into Imladris.

Seems I've been away too long..., the elleth told herself at she stared at the small company. They would need to sitck together if they all wanted to come out of this alive.

She gripped her sword again, well hidden under her elven cloak. Deathstorm, she had once named it, for it had always served her well and dealt the final blow to her enemies with a shard fury.

The elleth raised her head to glare at each one in the company, feeling calm and resolute. Whatever was lying ahead, the elleth was ready.
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2006 06:04
The raven haired Elf ran a many ringed hand through his hair, he paused before saying, “ I give any one of you who does not want to continue, the chance to turn back now. There will be no shame in doing so, anyone who cannot give their full dedication to the task will be nothing more than a hindrance…Anyone who wishes to leave .Go now”.

"Leave?" Arato questioned, nudging Bane forward with his heels. "I came out here to fight Orcs, not to turn tail and run away like a coward." He stopped his horse next to Glyndr's Sylstar and glanced behind him at the other soldiers. His gaze lingered for a moment over Rolan before he turned his attention back to the road before him.

"What will we meet ahead?" he murmured to himself under his breath. "How many Orcs have gathered? How many can we take out?" He sighed and brushed his hair from his eyes. "Who won't come back?"

----------

Entering the armory, Eadoin was taken aback by the amount of... *stuff* lying about in need of repair. He stepped fully through the door and looked around for one of the weaponsmasters to speak to. Finally, he spotted one, hard at work repairing a mail shirt, and started towards the elf.

"Arianna said you needed some help, and I believe it. What can I do to help?" Eadoin asked. The elf looked up at him, set aside his tools, and rose.

"Do you have any experience with armor repair?" the elf asked him. Eadoin shook his head.

"Not with metal, but I do know how to repair leather weapons and I can work with shields if need be," he replied. The elf nodded and led him to another corner of the extensive armory that was filled with several piles of leather that needed to be repaired. There, Eadoin was handed off to another elf, who sat him down and instructed him to his tasks.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 25, 2006 09:26
“Come Lalaith”, the Captain led her a little way away from the others, just far enough so they would not be overheard.

“Lalaith, my love”, Glyndr smiled his inimitable half smile, “Forgive me,”.
He stroked her face with a gold ringed finger, “I should not have snapped at you, it was very wrong of me”,.

“Of course I forgive you,” Lalaith said softly, taking his hand and squeezing it briefly as she held it against her cheek. She didn’t want him to go… she wanted him to stay by her side. For a moment she mused on going with him… but she knew he’d never let her. She’d hardly fared in a small battle against orcs… she’d only be a hindrance to the patrol.

Glyndr sighed deeply , and ran his hand through his hair ,”Valar! Lalaith , this war is ruling our marriage”.

He looked deep into her eyes, “ I have to leave you once again, I would give anything to have it so much different, that for once I did not have to go,but it cannot be. Not yet”.
Glyndr stroked her face again, wrapping a strand of her hair around his fingers, “Lalaith, I love you, forgive me for ever hurting you, I never meant it to be that way”.

“Please be careful,” she said, wanting badly to kiss him but finding it somehow difficult to do make herself do anything more than look into his deep eyes, “Just come back to me… I love you as well, more than you could ever imagine…”

He turned away then, back to his horse, and walked away with the stallion in tow. Lalaith sighed morosely and watched him go, her eyes never leaving his form as he mounted and swept the rest of the riders into formation. There were so few of them! If they were to run into battle, how would they ever win? There were other elleths in the ranks, and Lalaith couldn’t help but envy them. And Rolan was going as well? He was naught but a child… turning away, the elleth wandered in the other direction. She hated that things had happened as they had-- she couldn’t understand why such misfortune had befallen them. As she made her slow way through Imladris she cursed fate for bringing them all into such dark times.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Narmion had more-or-less let himself sink into the background after the elleth had turned away, and he watched with a grim expression while everyone else made ready to head out. It just wasn’t fair, he mused—for him to be left useless, and their force to be robbed of troops until even she-elves and children were volunteering to ride into danger. It made him feel ashamed, most of all, and angry… so, as the company was preparing to leave he made up his mind right away. Slipping out of the stables he hurried as quickly as he could to his chambers, where he found the same suit of armor he’d been depending on for years. A bit awkwardly he pulled it on, griping and grumbling under his breath when his bad arm ‘twinged’ in pain from handling the extra weight. But, picking up his sword with his good arm he gave it a few swings and then sheathed it before walking back down to the stables. The rest of the patrol company was already gone from there, but he was sure he could catch up. After a few minutes he found a horse that was willing to carry him- since Diablo had already run off with Rolan on his back- and once mounted Narmion urged the mare on at a quick pace to catch up with Glyndr’s party. As he passed through the gates of Imladris the guards there tried to question him but he ignored them, pushing on in silence and pressing the bad arm against his side to lessen his discomfort.

He could descry the others in the distance and he followed, not wanting to push his steed too hard… and it was as the company had drawn to a halt that he finally began to near them. He slowed the mare as he drew up to the sadly small group, and went around to come to a halt beside Glyndr and Arato. Narmion could guess that one or both of them might tell him he should go back, but he was determined not to listen. This was better than moping around and doing no one any good, wasn’t it?
“Don’t try to tell me that you do not need the extra help,” he said levelly, “I can still use my sword.”

(if there are any problems I shall edit… posting while on campus O_O I'm not sure what to do with Lalaith... anyone feel free to approach her)

[Edited on 25/4/2006 by dreamdancer]
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2006 09:24
As Rolan rode up on that huge black stallion Istalë was at once slightly unsettled and saddened, both by the boy’s calm resolution and the lack of any emotion whatsoever on his face, his countenance as one already doomed who is resigned to his fate, and at how nobody endeavoured to stop him. It was yet another jarring reminder of how times had changed. Imladris was teetering on the brink of destruction, and who were her defenders?

The horses were restless; she slowly tightened the reins of her gelding as he shifted beneath her, dancing on his neat, hard hooves, snorting and stamping. And then Diablo screamed, letting out an unearthly sound that caused the hairs on the back of Istalë’s neck to rise and prickle. The stallion rose on his hindquarters, eyes and nostrils glinting red in the sunlight, iron-hard hooves pawing the air. The cry was taken up by the other elven steeds, the defiance and lamentation amplified and echoed until it reverberated off the steep walls of the vale. Her own mount half-reared, tossing his head, and Istalë allowed him to, momentarily taking her mind off her own jitters, losing herself in the swirling vortex of wild anger and heartbreak and hopelessness.

It was a motely group that turned out of the courtyard and up a less-used northern path. Battle-worn warriors, children, green and unwilling volunteers… It was decidedly not the best of combinations. Glyndr was casting glances at the new elleth, who glared back and at the rest of the group as well. Istalë was not sure what she thought of this Elenwen – was it bravado in talking back to the ill-tempered captain, or just plain argumentativeness? After all, if she was truly the seasoned fighter she claimed to be, would she not have known that cohesion was vital to the survival of any group, let alone one as mixed-up as this one was? And really, Glyndr was only doing his job. Snappish as he was, he could not be blamed for being suspicious, especially in these times.

They halted, and Glyndr addressed them. Istalë could see the slightest hints of derision, or displeasure, or plain lack of confidence in those icy blue eyes. She could not fault him, but she would not allow him to think less of her, at any rate, for all her dearth of skills and inexperience. She could not turn back.

Istalë set her jaw and watched the road ahead, a hand leaving the reins at rest on the comforting weight of the long knife at her side.

[OOC: Edited for a stupid typo. Must really sleep more... Or learn to cope on less sleep! ><]

[Edited on 26/4/2006 by Sirithros_Lirenel]
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email