Register

<< First34567Last >>
Author Topic:
Autumn_Winds
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Ever After (Keeper!)
on: May 26, 2006 06:05
“Well – actually, I was going to check on Kalina before heading out, seeing as how her grooming session and all was... interrupted, this morning. But seeing as how you’re here –”

It was then that the first scream sounded. Again. With a visible wince, Alcina continued, “- I suppose the horses must be fine, and very well taken care of.” Noticing the curiosity of the horses, she gave a little nervous laugh. Biting her lip and turning away slightly, she let silence fall uncomfortably. Or, well, as much silence as was possible, given the screaming.

They both seemed nervous in each other’s company. Alcina wondered briefly if she even sounded normal – it had been so long since she had last had a polite, pointless conversation. She had probably lost the art of making small talk, if she had ever been any good at it. She had been detached and impersonal for so long that a light chat amongst the horses seemed rather unnatural. But she *was* talking to another human being, without any open hostility; she was actually involved (somewhat) in a *conversation*, and was not simply passing on information.

The screams were not subsiding. Alcina twisted her fingers in her skirt in agitation. Furiously, she acknowledged that she was losing it; she was no longer impassive; it was that dratted boy who had been captured, and surely tortured.

“I – I –” Alcina looked back up at Dirk. “I’m sorry; I have to go now. Perhaps we can talk another time.”

Abruptly, she turned to leave the camp, whispering as she did so, “I cannot take it; I cannot hear the screams anymore.” She cursed herself for being so weak. She could understand the necessity of torture, really, she could – but she simply could not bring herself to appreciate it as it was being carried out. And she could not stop the pain she felt for the boy, the poor, young boy. Even though she ought not to be soft-hearted, she could not stop it; she could not control how she felt. But she was certain she would get it under control eventually. It would be necessary to do so. Just not yet.
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 26, 2006 09:51
((Tiny post coming up...))

Amata reached the courtyard in time to see the small party mounted up and ready to depart. She had missed the meeting... but would they really have wanted her, anyway? Her time away meant that she was less familiar with the lie of the land than others were.
But to wait here in Imladris, knowing that the others were going on what seemed like a suicide mission... that would be very difficult.

She glanced around and caught sight of Lalaith. Her face brightened a little, even though her friend was looking very taciturn. Amata made her way over towards the elleth, saying nothing until the rescue party had left. Then, a little nervously, she tapped Lalaith lightly on the shoulder.
"Um... hello, Lalaith," she said, almost stupildy. What was there to say?

((I think all creativity has abandoned me... if it ever was there. I may have to make a new character sometime))
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 26, 2006 10:33
Lalaith remained silent still (not wanting to interrupt, which was in her nature), clinging tightly to Glyndr’s hand when he intertwined his fingers with hers. She listened to everyone speaking, watched the large black stallion ‘picking’ those who would journey to the newly-discovered enemy camp… but mostly she concentrated on having her husband beside her. All too well she knew the loneliness that would fill her when he left- no matter if he promised to return or not. That would be a promise he couldn’t really make- if the enemy camp was so large, how could they hope to sneak in for their friends without being caught? The elf captain was immortal, but not invincible.

When he left her side to speak to the young soldier she watched her love closely. His movements were swift and graceful as always, but she could easily detect the unusual, albeit slight, stiffness in his gait. His hurts were not fully healed (especially since he’d been getting in fights) and she wondered worriedly if he would be able to stand in battle. And what of the others? It infuriated Lalaith that all she could do was worry for them, and hope for a safe return. If only she’d dedicated more of her time to training as a warrior instead of idling away with song and music- then she might be able to actually *do* something helpful.

The Captain turned and walked back to Lalaith.
“My love, it will not be forever” he took her face in his hands and kissed her softly, “ I shall have returned before you even know it, and with our friends, Lalaith I will not leave Narmion and the child as a sacrifice, and at the mercy of those depraved devils”.

“I would never ask you to do that,” she replied quietly, meeting his gaze steadily, “Please take care, my love.”

He kissed her once more- a kiss which she longed would never end- then sighed sadly as he went to mount his horse. With a detached expression she watched what went on with the others, thinking morosely that any one of them might not return. So many had already been lost- and though her heart ached with concern for Narmion and Rolan, the elleth hated seeing more of their precious numbers riding into danger— -especially the love of her life! If he were to fall, she knew she would surely be overtaken by grief.

She noticed Eadoin sharing a farewell kiss with Ari, and smiled dismally to herself. So, perhaps they’d finally admitted their (obvious) feelings to eachother… that was good. Love was a precious thing, especially during dark days such as these…

Spotting Istale, Lalaith moved to stand near her. There was silence between them as they watched the small rescue party preparing to set out. It was somehow comforting and companionable, and she hoped that after the others had gone that the dark-headed elleth would stay with her for a while… because she didn’t think she could handle being alone just now.

After the party had gone and Glyndr was gone from sight, she sighed again, and turned to a tap on her shoulder. There stood Amata. Lalaith smiled slighty- she’d missed the half-elf in her absence. If it hadn’t been for the woman, after all, she’d have never met Glyndr- and probably would have wandered aimlessly around a tiny Rohannian village, lost and alone. Her first true friend outside Imladris… she could tell that she was worried as well, by her expression. No surprise- they’d all grown very close, and then the half-elf had gone. It had almost seemed that she and Narmion had been growing ever closer… and the elleth recalled well how upset he’d been when Amata had gone.

Um... hello, Lalaith," she said, almost stupidly

“Hello,” Lalaith replied, unable to sound cheerful, “It’s good to see you again, my friend.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bellas had been watching the black horse with amusement, finding its behavior interesting, if nothing else. The creature was certainly intelligent- but when it shuffled over and started trying to herd he and Hannalisa into the group it was forming, the elf just stepped back out of the way and looked at it as if it had lost its mind. Diablo bared his teeth and made a most threatening hiss-noise, which was more than slightly unnerving- obviously it wouldn’t take ‘no’ for an answer. Ari came to the rescue, though at first the stallion still seemed intent on forcing the smith and the dwarf to obey him. Afterwards, Bellas shook his head at Hanni, hitching one shoulder in a shrug. He was just turning to head back to the smithy- where he was *supposed* to be working- when Arianna’s voice brought him to a halt.

When the circle went all silent, Arianna stepped into them and said quietly, "We have a member of the group who really does wish to be on his way, Captain." Being around Glyndr always left her slightly flustered. He was a very imposing Elf, to say the least. "Diablo has made it quite clear he wishes to be off at once, and from what I know of him, I would assume it is because there is - or will be - great harm coming to Narmion and Rolan.

"Furthermore," she continued, a little more confident now, "he has also indicated his selection of members to go. You may wish to modify the list somewhat, Captain. He chose Eadoin, Bellas, Hannalisa and Arato to go." She indicated the mounts even now making their way from the stables to the courtyard. "I believe he is trying to make certain they come. Please bring everyone home safely."

No ,” Glyndr replied to Ari as his icebright eyes scanned those chosen, “I do not need to modify the choice, Save, that I ask if any of those chosen does not wish to go, then he says so now”.

Hanni looked between the captain and the dark monstrosity which had apparently chosen her to go along. She raised her chin and set her bristly sideburns to twitching in the bravest and most intimidating manner she could muster before stating clearly, “I doubt you’ll find a coward here, Master Elf. Aye, I’ll come with ye. But I’ll not take orders from a horse so you’ll have to speak up if you have a plan.”

The smith was feeling quite flummoxed about the entire situation- he wasn’t even dressed for travel!- but, obviously he’d been chosen to go in the rescue mission, to which Glyndr had agreed. And Bellas was no coward- though he thought wistfully of the work waiting to be done in his comfortable smithy, he was as determined as the dwarf not to back down.

A stable-lad brought out his horse after all the rest, a large, brown stallion named Thes. The elf took the reins and greeted his animal friend. Sighing, he ran smudged fingers through light brown locks and wondered again what he’d been picked for. He also wondered if he could risk being scolded for taking the time to go pull on a shirt. The only one near was in the smithy, hanging by the door….

Well, he had the apron anyway, and a-dagger at his belt- so, he turned and was preparing to mount when he glanced about and caught sight of Hanni. She was glaring at the horses as if she had a personal quarrel with every one. A vague smile touched his lips and he led his horse to her.

“You can ride with me… here, let me help you up.”

“Now see here, Lad,” she replied haughtily, “ I don't need any help, thank you very much!"

She then glared at the gelding and circled him a few times, trying without success to get her leg high enough to reach the stirrups. Bellas just watched, forcing himself not to chuckle at her- she couldn’t help her height, after all. The dwarf ended up back before him before long, glaring as if she’d lop his head off- and, grumblingly she reached out to he helped up.

“Not one word!” she commanded, seeing his obvious struggle to keep from grinning, “Not one!”

He wasn’t completely successful in suppressing his amusement- despite the fact that they were about to ride into danger, the elf couldn’t help smiling over her obvious aggravation at the situation. With a crooked smile he nodded, though, and rested a hand over his heart.
“I swear it,” he said, and then hefted her up onto the horses back. At first Thes seemed incredibly irritated to have the strange new something back there, and he snorted in disgust when Bellas mounted as well.

“Oh, come!” The elf said, “You’ve carried heavier loads than this! Hold onto me, Hanni.”

He could already tell that his shorter riding companion was uneasy on horseback, but the fact was confirmed when he urged Thes over to where the rest of the riders were already mounted. Hanni’s arms had already been loosely about him (though she’d put them there grumbling, obviously not liking the idea of having to hold on to anyone)- but when they started moving and the dwarf slipped a little, those sturdy arms tightened about his waist so quickly that he was almost thrown off-balance, and an ‘oomph!’ passed his lips as the breath was squeezed right out of him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delvan was woken from his drunken sleep- again- by screaming. This time he grumbled about Di-Shan having terrible timing and just got up. After pulling on a shirt he left the tent and looked around, hoping to spy Ondet. The elf’s pale hair was unmistakable- he entered the grand pavilion that was his tent and didn’t reappear. The Captain groaned- it was no good intruding on Ondet if he hadn’t called. He contented himself to look about for Morgai, then, hoping to push his buttons and get him angry. That man wasn’t around either… and he wanted nothing to do with Di’Shan.

He decided to harass Dirk.

The man was where he always was- with the horses. As Delvan approached he saw Alcina leaving and smirked.

“What does she see in you?” he said mockingly as he sidled up to stand a companionable distance from Dirk- just another man he disliked, “And what do you do, but chase her off? Learn how to handle women as well as you handle horses.”

He snorted; it was so obvious that the Rohirric man was unsettled by the cries coming from the tent. He was weak, and- in the captain’s opinion- useless. But Ondet thrilled in causing him pain… and so did Delvan. He lightly rested his hand on the hilt of his sword, fingering it lovingly.

“Did you tend to the wretched beast that belonged to the elf? That one’s mine now, you know…”
An evil grin touched his lips.
“It’s not as if he’ll need it any longer, now is it? But what of the pretty black thing you brought back… I don’t see *him* anywhere…”

(for the record, I’ve taken some allergy medicine and it has me extremely spaced out… so, I’m hoping this makes sense, and please forgive me if not… and also, no Narmion yet...)

[Edited on 26/5/2006 by dreamdancer]
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2006 11:13
Dirk watched Alcina leave, wondering why she stayed with this troupe of mis-matched evil killers. Briefly he wondered if Ondet had blackmailed her as well, but then dismissed the notion. She may be a little more human than the rest of the Elf's followers, but she couldn't possibly have any sort of conscience to speak of. Otherwise, what would keep her here? No, he dismissed the notion. She was here because she liked killing and that was the end of it.

He turned to shoo the horses back to their play. He enjoyed watching them frolic. They were so free, and they had no commitments to keep them from bing themselves. They could romp at any hour of the day when it was like this... Dirk found himself grinning, the first real smile he'd worn in a long time, as he watched them. It would be marvelous to be a horse, he mused. They weren't possessed of evil traits like some of the reasoning beings he'd come into contact with. A horse always had reasons for what it did, unlike the insane Ondet and some others Dirk could remember from his younger days.

A cold, taunting voice cut into his thoughts. Without even turning around Dirk knew who it was. Delvan - he could place the voice easily enough. What he didn't expect was the wave of cold that flowed down his spine at the mention of the captured Elf's horse and that great black stallion that he'd picked up himself. Every muscle in body seemed to tighten and he turned slowly, a mask of unexplicable rage twisting his face. One step, two steps, and he was right in front of Delvan, restraining himself - barely - from dealing a powerful punch to the other man's smirking face.

"Be glad I handle horses as well as I do," Dirk said quietly. His voice was filled with venom and contempt for Delvan. Although, he wasn't quite sure the other man would pick up on the tone that spoke volumes. He wasn't sure he considered the other man to be of a high enough life form to understand. "If I couldn't, then right now all these," he swept a hand out behind him to indicate the horses that were standing stock-still watching, "would be on you right now. They know more than you give them credit for. They know who will do right by them."

A bitter look replaced the rage, though anger still burned deep in Dirk's heart. "As to the black, I'm sure he's still outside Ondet's tent, starving while he waits for Di'shan to break him in." To himself Dirk added, And he will be broke. Any horse Di'shan takes his hand to will have no spirit, no fire of its own left. If the black doesn't break, he will be dead. If I were him, I think I'd prefer the latter.

OOc// Sorry about the short post. I've got to run. May not be back to post for a couple days. Possible camp trip if weather holds. You can move Dia, Ari and Rolan if necessary.
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2006 07:08
She sank against a convenient pillar, wrapping her arms around herself and watching with increasing detachment as the rescue party made their final preparations to be off. Now that the adrenaline rush was slowly wearing off as she realised she would not be involved in another crazy heart-in-mouth, life-and-death situation, Istal ë found a cold grey dread, and weariness, steal through her once more. It was not so much actual physical exhaustation as mental fatigue; she was not quite sure if it was a feeling at all, but sure enough something was there, something along the lines of a lump in the throat, the beginnings of a headache, or simply a great weight on the spirit - there and yet not there at the same time, felt yet not felt. It was not quite something she could put words to.

Hanni seemed to have found a friend in the smith Bellas, Istalë noted, as the muscular blonde offered the stout being a ride on his horse. That was good. Hanni would have a kindred spirit when it came to love of metalwork and the heat of the forge, though personally the elleth tried to stay away from the searing furnace. How people could put up with such sooty, sweltering conditions day in and day out was truly beyond her.

In the distance, Lalaith shared a final kiss with Glyndr, and Istalë smiled a little inwardly. So the icy captain did indeed have somthing of a human side. She had known the pretty songstress since their respective childhoods, and in an oxymoronic, paradoxical way the dark, cool demon that was Glyndr seemed a perfect match for the sweet and gentle beauty. And on the other side of the compound another romance was unfurling - Arianna and the Rohirrim Eadoin were locked in an embrace of their own, and Istalë felt a bittersweet wave wash over her.

It was not long before a forlorn Lalaith glided over to the porch as the group clattered out of the courtyard. Even with her back towards the other Istalë could still sense the worry, the fear, the love, emanating from the elleth as she watched the receding figures with a wistful, longing look. She was vaguely aware of Amata rejoining them, speaking to Lalaith, and Istalë turned to the pair with a visible shrug. She could think of no words of comfort, no useless reassurances to offer the other, because if she said "Oh I'm sure he will be back" there was more than half a chance exactly the opposite would happen and then... Lower lip slightly protruding in a petulant pout against the world at large, Istalë sighed and patted Lalaith's shoulder.

"I worry, too."

[OOC: Phished and headachey and my nose is stuffed stupid at 1am. Hurray. Apologies if I'm being incoherent and if this post turns out utter crap.]
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2006 03:27
((No worries, Siri, I'm losing coherency because I played duck-duck-goose for two hours. Note: Merely a Morgai post, just to get him back to earth with Neth.))

Morgai's eyes noted that Neth lingered behind the tree for a moment after she had dropped from the tree. He also thought he heard something being stabbed into the tree, but he wasn't quite sure if he was hearing things. He kept his mournful look pasted upon his face as she came around the tree and kept her hands behind her back.

Another knife? he thought. Or is it just a ploy? Either way, this is becoming fun...

"Aye," Morgai husked as Neth approached him, "my employer is cruel. I want to get out of his service, but he employs a man skilled at torture, and I do not wish my brother and sisters to fall into his hands."

Neth began to rub the fabric of his tunic against him, and suddenly his hands were itching to grab her shoulders - whether to push her away to kill her or to pull her closer he was unsure. She was checking him for weapons, that he was almost sure of. However, he practically purred as she stroked his cheek, leaning into her hand.

"He does trust me," Morgai said, "because he knows I will come back to him. And I would try to get word to my family, but I don't know how to without being too conspicuous. I cannot visit Imladris because they would think me an enemy, and rightfully so. I work for the man who has been slowly destroying their home, even if not by choice."

Morgai noticed the delay in the smile getting to her eyes, and knew she, too, wasn't telling him the truth. Inwardly, he smirked at her, waiting to see if she would slip up. He was pretty sure that she thought that she had almost puzzled him out, but he would continue to play his game with her. It amused him like nothing else had since his killing Lord Elrond nigh four months before.

"No, dear Neth, you do not make me nervous. My employer might find you a threat, however, even if you aren't a skilled fighter. He doesn't like outsiders entering his camp unless he himself has recruited them for various purposes.

"And as to why I was wandering so far from camp," Morgai continued, advancing towards her, "I was merely enjoying the solitude that the trees offered. I do it as often as I am able, which isn't very, as my employer keeps tabs on my comings and goings from camp." Placing his hands on either side of the elleth's torso, he trapped her between his arms. Leaning forward, he brought his mouth close to his ear and let his breathing stir her hair. "That much, my dear, is the truth."

He almost ignored the scream that had come from Di'shan's tent, but remembered at the last minute that he was trying to keep a facade of a pitiful man and winced, suddenly pulling away.

"I swear he does that to remind me of what could happen!" Morgai growled, glaring towards the camp. "I hate him!" He sank to his knees and stared up at Neth. "You understand what it's like to hate someone, don't you?" he asked her in a whisper.
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2006 08:19
“Not take orders from a horse?” Glyndr arched an eyebrow as he remembered Hanni’s words. “ Diablo is no ordinary horse, no one has a choice but to take orders”.

The Captain tried hard to suppress a smile as he rode beside Bellas and Hanni.
The entertainment of watching the short-legged dwarf balancing precariously behind the smith on the horse was more than just an amusing spectacle.

The smile faded as he turned one last time trying to catch a last glimpse of his Lalaith.
The Captain was glad that he could see Amata and Istalle with her.
Each time of his leaving her now became more difficult than the last.

Glyndr turned his attention back to the task, and to following the black shape and Eadoin, that led them onwards to the camp.
The Captain looked for any signs of Neth as they rode. Nothing.
His curiosity grew stronger. Where was she?

The camp that held Narmion and Rolan captive.
The Captain feared what they might find when they finally found them, he had seen too much of the horrors and agony that orcs and haradhrim could inflict.

As a violet streaked dusk grew a deeper indigo towards night they came closer to the enemy camp, but still some way off.
Rising smoke , sounds of revelry and the glow of fires told them that some sort of celebration was taking place.

“We halt here”, Glyndr hissed, his anger growing as he thought of the foul, depraved creatures that held Narmion and Rolan.
If it were not for his military training and calculating sense, his reckless fury would have driven him to have just slid ghost like amongst them ,and killed as many of the devils that he could before they killed him. Such was his hatred of orcs .

“Dismount”, The elf Captain ordered quietly, “We leave the horses here. From now on we go on foot. We move silently, and keep to the shadows to as close as we can safely get to the edge of the camp”.

Glyndr slid fom Sylstar’s back and led the stallion into the thick undergrowth of tall ferns and bushes. He whispered a few words in Elvish to the horse and tapped its shoulder.
The tall grey warhorse after some snorting , bite threatening and wicked resistance, finally ,went down on his knees and haunches , laying low , to keep hidden in the undergrowth.

“Eadoin, Diablo lead us to the place at the edge of the camp, where you consider is the easiest access and route to where Narmion and Rolan are held. I need to see the outlay of the camp, We need to plan our moves very carefully”.

OOC hope this is OK…I didn’t want to get them too much further until Sal gets back.

Iell and Nimmy, If you don’t want to move Neth and Morgai from where they are in the forest yet…We can make it that Glyndy and the group arrive in a different place to them.

Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2006 12:40
"I swear he does that to remind me of what could happen!" Morgai growled, glaring towards the camp. "I hate him!" He sank to his knees and stared up at Neth. "You understand what it's like to hate someone, don't you?" he asked her in a whisper.

"Yes, I understand hate. I understand hate probably better than most."

She looked down at the Man on his knees in front of her, and the voices of righteousness, the ones that could ultimately save her, began whispering in her head, Kill him. He has had a hand in the deaths at Imladris. He admitted it. Redeem yourself for your sins.

Her hands moved slowly to the front of her belt.

She paused for a moment, and swallowed hard. Then her hands moved from her belt to the buckle holding it strapped to her hips, and she unfastened it, letting her weapons fall to the ground with a clatter.

"I should hate you," she whispered, "But I cannot seem to bring myself to do that." Her hands moved to his shoulders, and then one brushed the side of his face tenderly, a feathersoft touch with a trembling hand.

Young lioness, give in to what you desire. Give in to the possibilities forged by the destruction of Imladris. Give yourself to him. Forget your pledge to Captain Glyndr. He is not worthy of your prowess, your dedication to winning at all costs. Offer your abilities, your service, to Morgai...The other voice was coming back, hissing louder in her ear than the pathetic small one that encouraged her to destroy the human in the name of the fallen of Imladris.

She dropped to her knees onto the soft earth in front of him, and murmured, "I am from Imladris, and I should despise you for what you have done to my people, but in all honestly, I cannot fault you for any of it. Even if everything you have told me is a lie...even if I were to find out you yourself had killed Lord Elrond..." Tears welled in her eyes and spilled down her cheeks, as she raised her head to look into his brown eyes. "Imladris is no longer my home. I have nothing and no one there, and I no longer care if she crumbles to dust." She leaned toward him and whispered, "I know you are well-armed, Morgai. You could kill me right now if you wished, take me prisoner and torture me until my screams drown out those we have already heard..." she leaned closer and gently brushed her lips against his, hesitating for a moment before wrapping her arms around his neck and kissing him more fully, "...or you can give me a chance to prove my worth to you and the one you work for."

She then pulled away from him and went around the tree to the dagger she had sunk into the trunk, pulling it free and removing the dagger from her boot as well. She walked back over to him and offered them to him, hilt first. "The smaller one was given to me by Lord Elrond himself. I offer them to you to begin proving to you that you can trust me." She neglected to tell him what the last thing the smaller dagger had been used for had been.

Neth looked at the sky and then said softly, "I must seek shelter and food for the night now, as it is already dusk and I do not wish to be wandering about foraging after dark. I will return here, if you will meet me shortly after full dark, and tell me if you believe in me, or to be slaughtered by your hand." She stepped back and turned, picking up her discarded belt and strapping it back onto her slim hips before she disappeared into the trees and the lengthening shadows.

[Edited on 28/5/2006 by Iell-daughter-of-elves]
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2006 09:09
((Morgai is going back to camp for a little while, but will be back to see Neth at dark... so the rescue attempt should take place at a different spot than the Neth/Morgai interaction. What was the dagger last used for? *is curious*))

"I..." Neth's words had caught him so totally off balance that Morgai almost fell backwards to the groung, only to catch himself at the last moment. The elleth he thought would toy with him for a very long time was acting meek.

"I don't..." Morgai paused. He had been about to say 'I don't understand' but wondered if that was a wise thing to say.

"I don't understand you, Neth," he said cautiously. "You seemed strong just a moment before... what just happened?" She was gone before she had even answered, leaving Morgai practically reeling on his knees.

She... she had... she had just... Morgai suddenly found himself struggling to form complete sentences, so he shook his head and got to his feet. Turnin in the direction she had just taken, he slowly backed towards camp, glancing all around him as he did so.

"The master's looking for you," one of the men around one of the campfires said to Morgai as he finally stepped from the trees. "Looks about to have a panic attack at you being gone so long." The man made a mistake then. He chuckled about his news. The next moment, he found himself on his back with one of Morgai's daggers at his throat. The dark-haired man watched him with cold eyes.

"You want to laugh at Lord Ondet?" he asked in a deadly whisper. "I could make it so much easier for you and give you another mouth... that way you'll be twice as loud."

"I... I'm sorry! Never again!" the man vowed. Morgai rose and went to find their leader. The men stared after him with a bit of fear. Normally, the man was somewhat playful if one of the men made a mistake in how he addressed Ondet in his hearing, warning them pleasantly of what the next one would cost him. The looked at each other and silently vowed not to cross him today.

"Morgai!" a commanding voice barked at the man as he walked through the camp. Morgai turned and dropped to one knee before Ondet. "Where have you been?"

"Forgive me, my lord," he said quietly. "I went out for a ride, and when coming back, discovered I was followed. I had to stop my follower from returning to Imladris and warning them of the size of our camp. It was a female elf, and I talked with her for a while."

"And?" Ondet asked.

"I thougth at first she would try to kill me, but..." here Morgai trailed off uncertainly. Ondet prodded the human in the shoulder with one booted foot to get him talking again. "She seems inclined to pledge her services to our cause, if we were to take her and offer her protection and shelter..."

"I see." Ondet frowned at Morgai. "Where is she now?"

"Foraging. I don't think she will go back to Imladris, since it is very far by foot and she is meeting me tonight at full dark."

"Bring her to see me tonight, and we will decide what's to be done."

"Sir."

----------

As the Captain ordered them to dismount, Eadoin quickly slipped from his bay and hurried to help his brother down. Arato was swearing under his breath about his leg. Leaving Arato leaning against a tree, Eadoin moved the horses after the Captain, also getting them to lay down very carefully. Carloth snorted at Eadoin and then settled down to wait.

“Eadoin, Diablo lead us to the place at the edge of the camp, where you consider is the easiest access and route to where Narmion and Rolan are held. I need to see the outlay of the camp, We need to plan our moves very carefully.”

"Yes, Captain," Eadoin said, placing a hand on Diablo's neck and quietly guiding the horse to the spot where he had been watching before. "See the big tent in the middle of the camp?" he asked. "That belongs to their leader. The one that I heard screams coming from is that one, I think." The young man pointed to a fairly large tent set a bit away from the leader's, but well in the middle of the camp.

((EDIT: I just realized that my little OOC at the beginning made absolutely no sense, so it's fixed now...))

[Edited on 30/5/06 by Nimeneth]
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2006 11:06
OOc// I hath returned!

Diablo carried no one on the way through the forest, towards the camp of orcs and humans, led by an insane Elf bent on the destruction of Imladris, the last Elven sanctuary. He fell in behind Sylstar and Glyndr, following them. His blood ran hot and fast. This was the time he had been waiting for since the first scream he'd heard from his boy-colt's throat. Since that first night tethered almost too tightly to breathe. This was the time for the pain to be repaid in full. Diablo was ready.

The sky was turning to the gray-purple-blue dusk when Glyndr called a halt. Diablo stopped just a beat behind Sylstar. He pricked his ears and widened his nostrils, feeling for that place he knew his boy to be.

Eadoin came up to him then, when he thought he almost had it. The young man laid a hand on the horse's neck and brought both Glyndr and Diablo towards the camp, leaving everyone else behind for a bit. The small clearing provided an excellent view of the camp. Eadoin pointed out the center tent and marked it as belonging to the leader of the rabble. Then he pointed to the slightly smaller one, close to that.

"The one that I heard screams coming from is that one, I think." The young man pointed to a fairly large tent set a bit away from the leader's, but well in the middle of the camp.

Diablo nodded a confirmation. That was the tent. He knew it was, after all, from the fear-scent/feel coming from it. Even if all the tents had been shuffled around, the feel of the tent would remain the same. Diablo would always be able to find it. And he would always know its resident as well. Always.

He wanted to start towards the camp right now, but the hand still on his neck kept him from going forward. Diablo let out a gusty sigh and turned to come back with Eadoin and Glyndr, looking back over his shoulder once, feeling the pull of need from young Rolan. Again he almost broke away and ran, and again he only stopped because in some way he understood that what he regarded as helping wouldn't be at all. So he came back and waited. Dark was coming soon. Then they could go.

OOc// sorry it's short.
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2006 04:00
Neth had slipped off into the trees without even glancing back at the man on his knees behind her. She knew that the man could well bury a dagger, either one of her own or one of his, into her back and end her life in an instant, but somehow, she knew he wouldn't.

As she moved through the trees, looking for something to eat, she kept the trail between her and the place she had met Morgai simple. It was more or less a straight line, meandering around an occasional tree but still following the same direct course.

She smiled to herself when she thought about how he had stiffened a bit in his body but not his lips when she had kissed him. His mouth had been warm and inviting, and she knew that part of the reason for his discomfiture when she had left was due to that kiss. He had not been expecting it, nor had he been expecting to like the touch of her lips. She did not delude herself with thoughts of love at first sight, but she hoped she would have the chance for another intimate encounter between herself and Morgai.

Neth quickly spied a fat rabbit in the trees, caught it and cooked it. It had been so long since she had had a decent meal that she devoured most of it without even thinking about it. Her stomach full, she then proceeded to look about for a place to sleep that night. Again, luck was with her. She found a tree that had had two smaller trees near it topple over onto it, forming a space underneath where she could just fit. She smiled and sat down, taking her other dagger out and fingering the blade. The dagger had seen all manner of battles, and she sat and thought about the countless number of enemies whose blood she had spilled with it. She smiled grimly and tossed the dagger end over end into a tree. She retrieved it, and spent the time before nightfall continuously throwing and then retrieving it.

She wanted Morgai, that much she was sure of. She was also sure she would have him.

[Edited on 30/5/2006 by Iell-daughter-of-elves]
otterling
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2006 05:28
The soft clopping of hooves on cobblestones rolled up to Hanni from her left. She peered cautiously out of the corner of her eye and found Bellas standing there, idly holding the reins of his own mount. Her hopes that the smith would show common sense and just walk had been dashed. With a heavy grumbling sigh, Hanni turned to him.

Well, he had the apron anyway, and a-dagger at his belt- so, he turned and was preparing to mount when he glanced about and caught sight of Hanni. She was glaring at the horses as if she had a personal quarrel with every one. A vague smile touched his lips and he led his horse to her.

“You can ride with me… here, let me help you up.”

“Now see here, Lad. I don’t need any help, thank you very much,” Hanni’s whiskers were twitching in earnest now as her dignity refused to be suffered the blow of accepting help onto the horse. She glared up at the beast, daring it to make this more difficult for her and then she moved up to the stirrup. Hanni reached out timidly and fingered the leather a bit, as if testing it, before she rolled her gaze the rest of the way up to the almost unreachable saddle. The stirrup itself hung at the same height as her bulbous nose and with a gruff snort, Hanni grabbed the offending item and tried to steady herself against the horse. Choice words were said in Dwarvish when she tried to lift her leg high enough to get in the stirrup, for it was at that moment, when all her weight was leaned against the horse that the animal opted to side step ever so slightly, sending Hanni hopping about in her attempt not to fall over. Having failed to get any part of her body into the saddle, and not just once wishing she had a grapnel and some rope, Hanni made her way around to the other side of the beast. Was it too much to hope that the horse would have built in stairs somewhere? Finding the other side of the animal no more receptive to her efforts than the first, she made her way back around once more.

By this point the mount was eyeing her unhappily and Bellas was obviously trying to conceal his mirth. Hanni bit down on the urge to punch his kneecaps for it. With the heavy sigh of wounded dignity, Hanni shuffled over to him and put her arms up like a child asking to be held by its parents. “Not one word, not one!” Bellas was all but chewing off his bottom lip to keep from spilling his laughter and he offered her a hand over his heart, matched with a crooked smile, and his heartfelt declaration that no commentary would be forthcoming. With a strength that did credit to his race, Bellas managed to heft all two hundred and five pounds (that five is very important after all) into the saddle of his horse, who snorted uncomfortably at the sudden weight of an unknown rider. Bellas himself mounted with a singular grace possessed only of elves, leaving Hanni rolling her eyes and glaring daggers at the spot right between his shoulder blades, the only view she was now afforded.

Having never ridden a horse before, Hanni wasn’t quite sure what to expect and as Bellas turned the animal to join the others, she looped her arms very loosely around his middle and looked around at the saddle. There were a great many changes she would make to such a thing, sides and a bucket type seat which would keep her rump in the saddle, but her thoughts were cut short as the horse made a few loping strides towards its companions. Hanni, suddenly realizing that the ground was a long ways off, found her self clinging to the elf, all racial differences forgotten in the face of a danger far greater than orcs. It was in that moment Hanni was sure that horses must be the ancestral enemies of dwarves the world over. Bellas made a small squeak of protest as the hunk of metal behind him clung to his ribcage like a vice, but his gasp for air went unheard by the unhappy dwarf. The rest of the ride saw Hanni sitting silent in the saddle, too afraid to speak for fear that any action outside of that which she was doing might instantly dislodge her from the horse’s back.

“Not take orders from a horse?” Glyndr arched an eyebrow as he remembered Hanni’s words. “ Diablo is no ordinary horse, no one has a choice but to take orders”.

The Captain tried hard to suppress a smile as he rode beside Bellas and Hanni.
The entertainment of watching the short-legged dwarf balancing precariously behind the smith on the horse was more than just an amusing spectacle.

Glyndr’s words were met with a glare of irritation from Hanni but still she bit her tongue. That was an argument best left for later, when Hanni’s feet were back upon terra firma. After several nail biting hours of clinging to Bellas and cursing the day horses were spat upon the earth, Hanni watched as miraculously Glyndr glowed with an inner light and became an angelic being, all with a few simple words.

“We halt here”, Glyndr hissed, his anger growing as he thought of the foul, depraved creatures that held Narmion and Rolan.

“Dismount”, The elf Captain ordered quietly, “We leave the horses here. From now on we go on foot. We move silently, and keep to the shadows to as close as we can safely get to the edge of the camp”.

Surely she had never heard words that were so wonderful before. The dismount of Bellas and Hanni was a fairly complicated affair as the little dwarf didn’t want to let go of Bellas until she was back on the ground but Bellas couldn’t well dismount with over two hundred pounds of dwarf and metal attached to his waist. Finally, after a few moments of coaxing on the behalf of the elf, Hanni let go and settled for clinging to the horse’s rump as Bellas slid to the ground. Her pride forgotten for the immediate moment, Hanni reached out as soon as the smith turned around and all but fell out of the saddle into his arms. After a few staggering moments, Hanni was back on the ground and she fell to her knees in the attempt to place as much of her self in contact with it as was possible. “Blasted beasts,” she grumbled. With a few protesting grunts, Hanni managed to get back to her feet though walking still eluded her as the hours of riding took their toll on her already sore bottom.

"Yes, Captain," Eadoin said, placing a hand on Diablo's neck and quietly guiding the horse to the spot where he had been watching before. "See the big tent in the middle of the camp?" he asked. "That belongs to their leader. The one that I heard screams coming from is that one, I think." The young man pointed to a fairly large tent set a bit away from the leader's, but well in the middle of the camp.

Whispered words were shared among the group and the decision was made to wait until dark. The camp was a swarming mass of gnarled black bodies all moving around a center tent like a giant anthill, the sounds of a celebration were in full swing and from somewhere to the right of the center, in a large clearing, a bonfire had been built; it stood near a long tent which writhed with the many orcs who had converged on the building for the festivities. Hanni slid her hammer off her back and nervously rubbed her calloused fingers across its handle. This would not be easy. The camp was overflowing with enemy forces, orcs and dirty human men, who would delight at the notion of finding their small group huddled in the trees. The element of surprise belonged to the defenders of Rivendell though, as no one would suspect an attack on a camp this size. Glancing back over at the tall, lithe forms of the elves, Hanni couldn’t help but wonder how, by all the dark tunnels of her home, they were going to get all the way to the center of camp without being slaughtered.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Di’shan pushed his way into Ondet’s tent and immediately lowered his eyes in respect. The elf was seated with his back to the opening, an unspoken sign of his confidence, and Di’shan found he was more un-nerved by this simple action than all the glares, stares and threats he had ever encountered before. Without a word, Ondet was telling Di’shan that he knew, without question, that no one could touch him. The orcs were all too terrified of him to try any foolish acts, which left just the humans in the camp and none of them would have been able to take on the elf lord in combat. A single curved blade was leaned against it’s rack to one side of the tent and Di’shan wondered absently how many lives had been snuffed out of existence by the edge of that steel. Ondet was eternal, the untouched. He was ageless and in him there was a horrible sense of knowing that left Di’shan feeling like a child trying to comprehend a god.

Ondet’s smooth voice rolled out from no where in particular and Di’shan felt his muscles twitch involuntarily. “The horse is gone. Your prize is stolen away, Di’shan, and Dirk has overstepped his bounds for the last time. I offer you a new prize,” Ondet did not even bother to look at Di’shan as he spoke, his form as still and flawless as an alabaster statue, “if you have what I requested.” Di’shan found himself suddenly glad that the prisoner had eventually given him something useful to work with, angering Ondet would not be wise. “The elves are all but spent already,” he began softly, his voice growing in confidence as he continued, “With Lord Elrond dead, and his sons on the verge of useless, they have chosen a woman as their leader. Her name is Arianna and she is new to leadership such as this. There is a captain of the guard, a fiery tempered fellow who is the spine of their forces now. They should break easily enough.” Di’shan’s words were cut short as he suddenly found Ondet on his feet and the gleaming blade of the elf pressed to his throat. The motion had been so swift that Di’shan had not even registered it.

“Do not underestimate the elves,” Ondet hissed softly, “They are possessed of a strength you cannot understand.” The sword was drawn back from his neck and placed ever so carefully back on it’s stand. “Still,” Ondet continued, “you have done well. Go to Rohan, gain the youngest son of Dirk and bring the child here. He will watch to make sure the message is understood.” Di’shan bowed low and hid his satisfied smile, for though his heart was still pounding from the blade to his neck, so too was it pounding from the gift he had been given. True, Di’shan had lost the horse but it’s spirit seemed broken already anyway and the prospect of watching Dirk scream while his youngest son was murdered before his eyes left Di’shan almost giddy with excitement.

“It will be as you say, My Lord.” With that, Di’shan swept back out of the tent and out into the camp. He moved back into his tent without a word to the prisoners and there he packed enough of his things to last for his journey. With his armor on and two bags tossed over one shoulder, Di’shan winked at Narmion and chuckled before he disappeared once more out of view. Within moments, Di’shan had made his way to the horses and there he calmly leaned against the railing. The Harad man knew without question that Dirk would be here and he spied the young man some few feet away watching the horses. “Dirk, do saddle my horse up, I have an errand to run,” Di’shan smiled gleefully and let his bags drop to the ground at his feet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ondet slid like the proverbial serpent from his tent and watched with a note of satisfaction when all those in the area came to attention. With a single minded purpose Ondet chose one of the nearby men and spoke to him in fluid calm tones, “Find me Morgai. Tell him that the time for final action is near. Tonight we celebrate, for tomorrow we begin the preparations for our final assault.”

((OOC: Ok, I tried to tie up some loose ends here and get my charries back on track. Sorry I have been so long since my last post. I’ve been dealing with home life and strep throat. :/ Arg. Hope you enjoy!))
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 31, 2006 07:01
(( I hope this post is coherent.. I just scribbled it out without really thinking. I love Hanni on horseback, btw ))

Amata gave a wan smile to her two friends before glancing over her shoulder back towards the buildings. She wanted to explore and see just what had changed, but she also knew that she was afraid. Everything was so staggeringly different now. Eventually she tapped Istalë on the shoulder. “I’m going to find my brother. I know he’ll be alive, he couldn’t pick up a sword in a million years.” Thus she departed, her plait swinging behind her as she walked.
Heading directly for the library, her thoughts followed the brave squad recently set out. She closed her eyes in silent prayer for their success, and wished them speed. Before it was too late for Narmion and Rolan.
She stood in the doorway, framed by the light, her eyes instantly falling upon the dark-haired he-elf sitting at a table, buried in a pile of scrolls. Shaking her head as if in disbelief, she walked slowly up to the table. The scholar glanced up as she blocked the light, and shock flashed across his face. “Amata!” He smiled a little confusedly, not knowing if it was the right thing to do, remembering how they had previously been at variance. She didn’t smile back.
“Faeringil. And what cause are you helping with?” She sat on the table and picked up a scroll, glancing over it disdainfully. “I knew you’d be here. Hiding, while everyone else gives their lives to defend their home.” She turned her eyes on him, their chestnut depths flashing in anger. He raised a hand, trying to stop her wrath, but she slammed her own hand down on the wood in front of him. “My friends are out there, risking their lives! And you just sit here - you’re such a coward!”
“Amata-”
“NO! Let me finish. Did you know that Rolan and Narmion were captured?”
“I thought they were killed in battle...”
“No, they were captured. And they’re being tortured.”
Faeringil turned pale, but fought for his cause. “But Amata, how does that have anything to do with me? You can’t blame me for that. And anyway, is it so bad? Rolan’s just a street-kid after all-”
“Do NOT insult my friends!" she exclaimed in fury. "Faeringil, I hate you.”
He stared at her for a moment. “I’m sorry, Amata. Can’t we just make up?”
“No, we can’t. We’ve never been friends and we never will be. I’m ashamed to admit that I’m related to you.” She rose from her perch on the table and thrust the scroll back into his face. “Maybe over the next thousand years you’ll finally read about something useful. For example, what a sword is for.”

A scholar from a nearby table raised their head with a somewhat pained expression. “If you wouldn’t mind being a little quieter?” he asked timidly of the angry mortal, who glared witheringly at him before striding out of the room, shutting the door with a bang.

When she gained the corridor once more Amata leant against the wall breathlessly and sank down to the ground, burying her face in her hands. She always felt rotten after an argument... but that never seemed to deter her enough to stop arguing. Cupping her chin in her hands she contemplated the opposite wall. Did she really hate her brother? After a moment of thought, Amata decided that she did. He was so useless, and she could not forgive his lack of feeling. “I wonder if he ever comes out of that library,” she mused out loud. If only Fae was more like Glyndr. That would certainly make the rows more interesting... Amata smiled to herself. She recalled that she had loathed Glyndr on first meeting him, but at least he was an asset to those who knew him.

She clambered wearily to her feet, and was lured outside once more by the fresh air. Her brief conversation had not taken long, and Istalë was still standing in the porch with Lalaith. The half-elf directed her moderate steps towards them, and sat down on the ground in front of the porch, saying nothing.

Back inside the library, Faeringil stared in stupefaction at the closed door through which his sister had vanished in a kind of violent whirlwind. He sighed. Amata was so difficult to understand, sometimes - and she never understood him either. Could she not see how important the books were to him? No warrior could ever understand a scholar, it seemed.

[Edited on 31/5/2006 by anduril269]
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2006 07:15
The last of the horses hidden , including the palomino, which was as stubborn as Sylstar, Glyndr followed Eadoin and Diablo close to the edge of the camp.

“So, this is what we have to contend with?” Glyndr stated coolly, as he scanned the camp carefully in his efficient military manner,.
He took in the positions of every tent, every rock, tree, and bush in the vicinity of the tent that held Narmion and Rolan.
The Captain noted every possible escape route should the rescue attempt go horribly wrong.

“It will be more difficult than I thought”, he mused, his iceblue eyes glittering in the reflected firelight of many campfires.
Glyndr smiled a wry smile; “It is by good chance that we have come upon them on party night”.
The smile became cold, the smile of a viper, “ Those of the vermin that are not drunk will most likely be fighting each other, we stand a fair chance of succeeding in the rescue, but I trust nothing to luck”.

The elf Captain glanced at Diablo, he was glad that Eadoin’s presence and calming hand held the horse back.

Glyndr understood exactly how the black was feeling.
He stared in silence at the tent that he knew held his companion, and friend Narmion, and the child –brat Rolan.
His blood seemed to run like ice, a creeping cold ran through him. A dark foreboding hovered around that tent like foul, dank mists that swirled around deep dangerous marshes.

Glyndr turned away, he shivered as he followed Eadoin and Diablo back to where the others waited.
“ For once in my life, I cannot wait for darkness” Glyndr said quietly.

The Captain stood facing the small group. Each member so different from the other, yet, all with the same mind to rescue Narmion and Rolan from the clutches of these vile monstrosities.
A small group against the many hordes, It did not matter, the elves , men, a dwarf and a horse had the tenacity and determination of a whole regiment.

“ We do not have much time before dark”, Glyndr said calmly, “ I will give you each your instructions now”.
The Captain pushed a stray lock of hair behind a bejewelled pointed ear, then fixed his sharp gaze on Hanni.
“Dwarf, you will act as our diversion”, he smiled his half smile , but his voice was deadly serious as he said, “ You of all of us ,are most likely to be taken as an orc, with your stature and armour”. Glyndr paused as he awaited her reaction, “No offence intended, but needs must. You will lure those closest to the tent towards a fire some distance away”. The smile returned briefly, “I am sure that you can think of some interesting diversion”.

The Elf Captain glanced towards Bellas, then back to Hanni, “ Dwarf, keep the damned demons occupied, and distracted until you see the smith’s signal. That signal means that we have the prisoners, and are on our way out of there. At the signal, cut their horses free from the lines, as many of the animals as you can. That will be the diversion that gives us the chance to escape unnoticed”. He allowed himself a ghost of a grin, “I know how much you like horses”.

The Captain turned to Bellas, “Smith , you stand watch at the edge of the camp, If any of the enemy get too close while we are in there create a diversion, I don’t care how , just keep them away from the tent”.
Glyndr studied the smith closely, his cold eyes, now shone with an eagerness and an anticipation for the task ahead. “When you get Eadoin’s signal that we have them and are returning, signal to the dwarf to release the horses, by rock or arrow hitting the tall pine there”.

The Captain indicated to a dead pine, close to the camp, and visible from every direction, the noise of a rock or arrow hitting the dead wood would echo for miles.

“That signal given, get our horses ready, we will have to be swift”.

“Eadoin, You, Arato and I will go in as stealthily as we can once the dwarf has lured any enemy from the near vicinity of the camp. You will stand watch at the tent to alert us if everything goes horribly wrong. Once we have them, signal to Bellas , and with the blessing of the Valar and a diversion dwarf, we should get out unseen, and back to the safety of Imladris ,and healers for Narmion and Rolan”.

The Captain turned to Arato, “ Second, you will come with me”. The Captain paused again, dark storms clouded ice blue eyes. “I do not want to hazard a guess as to what we will find” .he storms became furious tempests, “ Of what devilry and torture they have suffered. We must not let that affect the smooth running of this rescue. Be prepared”.

“Diablo”, Glyndr looked at the horse, understanding in his gaze, “ We shall need you with us , Arato and I”.
The Captain looked at Hanni thoughtfully; sizing her up and down, “Wait here”he said as he slid ghost like into the tall ferns.

A short while later he returned with a pile of orc armour, its wandering, careless, original owner no longer needed it after its meeting with the Captain.
“Wear that, I think it is your size”.

The eerie voice of a lone owl heralded the deep indigo of darkness.
“We go in now”, Glyndr purred, He was ready, every muscle and nerve in his body tense.
“Everyone to your posts you know what to do .Do whatever you have to , but , take no unnecessary risks, If all goes wrong, No heroes, get out as best you can ”.

The Captain moved closer to the edge of the camp, waiting for that diversion that he knew the dwarf could give them.

OOC…Know it’s a long posty..Hope OK..please let me know if anyone wants me to change/edit anything . Narmy and Rolan..help is but a few feet away!

Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2006 11:33
“Dirk, do saddle my horse up, I have an errand to run,” Di’shan smiled gleefully and let his bags drop to the ground at his feet.

Dirk shot Di'shan a glare full of venom, but moved over to a placid chestnut gelding and began to saddle him up, speaking in hushed tones all the while. What it sounded like to any casual listener was as if the man was crooning praises into the gelding's ear. What it was in actuality, was Dirk presenting the horse with a brief description of its soon-to-be rider and offering advice as to the best way to get rid of him if necessary. Somehow, Dirk found himself musing, it always seemed that he offered that sort of advice to the horses when one of their number was about to go under the hand of someone like Di'shan or Morgai.

After tightening the girth of the saddle on the chestnut, Dirk checked gave everything a once-over yet again, to make sure he hadn't missed anything, but also to make Di'shan wait a little longer. Cooling his heels wouldn't hurt the information gatherer any. Whatever errand Di'shan was going on, Dirk hoped he wasn't able to fulfill it. Maybe it would upset Ondet enough to have the Elf destroy the human. Dirk couldn't know what the real intent of this mission was. He couldn't possibly know that while he planned minor sabatoge on Di'shan's trip, the other was reading himself to go to Rohan to abduct Dirk's youngest son - Trevan. If he had, perhaps he wouldn't have let Di'shan go.

Dirk nodded to himself his approval of the readiness of the gelding's tack. With one hand he guided the beast over to Di'shan and gave the man a cool look. "Go easy on his mouth," Dirk warned. "If he comes back with sores at the corners, I'll be very upset." Not that you'll get away with it, he added silently. After all, Robin knows the best ways to dump a man. If he comes home without you, I'll be standing here laughing as I curry him clean. I hope he does, too. I hope you fail in your errand for Ondet.

Dirk backed away to let Di'shan mount and gave Robin a conspiritorial wink. You're in charge here, he thought at the horse. Robin bobbed his head like he understood exactly what Dirk meant.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 31, 2006 01:23
Bellas hadn’t *really* minded Hanni latching on to him with an iron grip to begin with, knowing that she had probably never ridden a horse before (and sure that it seemed a long way to fall to her). Having her powerful arms wrapped firmly about him for the entire ride, however, was something of a bother- for one, it made breathing a bit difficult, and the elf found it impossible to get comfortable in the saddle. He didn’t complain, though (not that he’d have been able to) and decided that it was for the mission. He had offered her the ride, hadn’t he? To his own annoyance, his mind wandered to Neth for a great portion of the traveling. He still felt guilty for making her run off like she had, though he still wasn’t sure exactly what he’d done- but he couldn’t wipe the image of her tear-filled eyes from his memory. She’d left Imladris…. So, where had she gone? He prayed she hadn’t ended up being caught or killed, and he hoped that she’d be at home when he got back (if he got back). He’d always worried for her.

When they finally came to a halt and Glyndr ordered everyone to dismount, Bellas was faced with another problem. His passenger, at first, simply refused to release her hold on him. She’d been hard enough to lift into the horse, though, and the smith was certain it would end with a great deal of pain for both of them if he attempted to dismount with the dwarf attached to his waist. More than likely they’d both topple off the horse in a heap and probably get trampled to death- which wouldn’t help them, or the rest of those who’d come on the rescue. Finally, after several moments of explaining that concept, he’d convinced Hanni to let go and steady herself on the horse so he could dismount- and as soon as he’d turned around she came falling into his arms, nearly sending him over sideways.

But, Bellas didn’t fall or drop his shorter passenger, and despite that he was certain the ride back would be no better, he couldn’t help the shadow of a smile at the grumbling way in which she handled the aftermath of long riding. For himself, Bellas stretched and was silent as Glyndr, Eadoin and Diablo went to look at the camp (after convincing his already-annoyed stallion to lie down with a heartfelt promise of sugar and oats upon their return to Imladris). He felt edgy and uncertain, and didn’t offer any ideas when it was decided that they would wait until dark before making any move. The smith inwardly wondered why he’d been brought at all- he could use a sword well enough, of course, but all he had was the dagger. There were others more skilled in this sort of thing than he… but, the black horse had been insistent, and if Glyndr trusted its ‘choice’…

The time neared, and Glyndr shared his plan. Bellas nodded in acceptance of what he would be doing- it was wise for him to use his elven sight to keep watch. When Hanni accepted her task as well, even that she would have to be dressed as an orc, his respect for her increased tenfold. He also couldn’t help but admire the two from Rohan who would actually go with the Captain into the camp. The smith thought cringingly of the captives, wondering what condition they would be in. An extra horse had been brought for Narmion, and he hoped that the elf would be able to ride by himself. He was more worried for the boy- Narmion was a warrior, after all, was stronger and had more years on him. Rolan was just a child!

The eerie voice of a lone owl heralded the deep indigo of darkness.
“We go in now”, Glyndr purred, He was ready, every muscle and nerve in his body tense.
“Everyone to your posts you know what to do .Do whatever you have to , but , take no unnecessary risks, If all goes wrong, No heroes, get out as best you can ”.

With a curt nod Bellas accompanied the captain to the edge of the camp, inwardly cringing when he beheld its size. The noise of a clearly orcish celebration was loud and obnoxious- it was pure luck that that distraction was already in place. Moving to a place where he could see better, the elven smith situated himself against a tree and stood still and silent, waiting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lower lip slightly protruding in a petulant pout against the world at large, Istalë sighed and patted Lalaith's shoulder.

"I worry, too."

Lalaith offered a dismal smile to show she appreciated the gesture, but it didn’t do much to comfort her. She watched as Amata went to find her brother, inwardly hoping that the half-elf and her sibling would be able to talk and get along… but she knew it was probably not likely. Such a thing was difficult for her to understand. She missed her own brother sorely- if only she could have him back, she was certain she’d never argue with him ever again.

For a few minutes she stood in silence, searching for something to say. She couldn’t think of anything, though- but the silence between herself and Istale was companionable, so she didn’t worry too much about it. Before long Amata returned, clearly annoyed, and sat on the ground beyond the porch without saying a word. Lalaith shared a look with Istale and then went down to sit beside her half-elven friend, not caring about getting her dress dirty or not.

“Are you alright?” she asked, knowing the answer, “Did you find Faeringil?”

------------------------------------------------------------------

One step, two steps, and he was right in front of Delvan, restraining himself - barely - from dealing a powerful punch to the other man's smirking face.

"Be glad I handle horses as well as I do," Dirk said quietly. His voice was filled with venom and contempt for Delvan. Although, he wasn't quite sure the other man would pick up on the tone that spoke volumes. He wasn't sure he considered the other man to be of a high enough life form to understand. "If I couldn't, then right now all these," he swept a hand out behind him to indicate the horses that were standing stock-still watching, "would be on you right now. They know more than you give them credit for. They know who will do right by them."

A bitter look replaced the rage, though anger still burned deep in Dirk's heart. "As to the black, I'm sure he's still outside Ondet's tent, starving while he waits for Di'shan to break him in."

Delvan wasn’t intimidated. Mostly he was annoyed that Dirk didn’t seem intimidated either. Usually he could make any one of the men in the camp cower and look uncomfortable. Clearly, the horses were a tender subject with this one. And clearly, Dirk either didn’t know, or wouldn’t admit that he too had noticed the black stallion missing.

“Very well,” the Captain snorted, “As long as the beasts know to do what they’re told, I have no qualms with them.”

He turned his back on Dirk and went back to his tent, spotting Di’Shan leaving Ondet’s and looking *very* pleased. He could only guess what had happened, but he smirked to himself, thinking he knew well enough.

When Ondet soon announced a celebration, and that their preparations for the assault on Imladris would begin the next day, Delvan was extremely pleased. He’d been waiting eagerly for this chance- to prove himself to Ondet, and maybe (if the chance presented itself during battle) to get rid of Morgai. Plus, he was just ready to do battle.

When the celebration started, he hung around and joined in for a while… but he grew tired of watching the orcs, and hearing their uncouth jabbering. He took a flask and wandered to his own tent, sitting in the shadows and musing on the next day, and plans that were already unfolding.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

His pain was worse than it had yet been, but the fear and anguish on his mind and soul were much harder to bear. Narmion now lay on the tent floor, gazing silently and morosely at Rolan’s prostrate form just a few feet away. The time passing had become an endless watery blur, so the elf couldn’t guess how many hours- or days- had gone by since he and the child had been captured. All he could really tell was that the tormentor had made sure every one was horrendous- even now that Di’Shan had gone (his promise to resume the torture later not comforting in the least) the torment continued. It wasn’t only the various new hurts he’d received- several cuts on his arms that still stung, countless bruises… his hair had been cruelly and painfully chopped to a much shorter length as well, but that certainly didn’t matter. Worse was the still-vivid memory of what had been done to Rolan. No matter what the boy had thought about it (before he’d passed out) Narmion still felt that he was to blame. He couldn’t rid himself of the guilt over the fact that he’d broken and told Di’Shan everything he’d sworn not to tell. In his own pathetic weakness he’d betrayed his friends.

The most anguish came not from his own pain or guilt, though- it came from the blood-stained dagger that rested within his reach. The tight bindings that had been holding his wrists were gone; his hands were free, albeit the throbbing right arm wasn’t of much use. The dagger had been left by Di’Shan, the first thing close to an act of mercy that the evil mad had done. Narmion could use it to put Rolan out of his misery, or himself, or both- and the elf had actually considered it. His shaking fingers had brushed the hilt, but he’d known he couldn’t bring himself to do it, and for that he was ashamed; he didn’t even have the inner strength to save the child from any further despair! Not even when he knew they had no chance of coming out alive…! There was no way he’d use the dagger on himself and leave the boy to suffer, so now he’d resigned himself to silence, and waiting, just hoping that the end was close- and end he couldn’t bring himself.

When Di’Shan came in he tensed, afraid, and was not comforted to hear the man was leaving. That would only mean that someone else would take over, probably- maybe even orcs, as Di’Shan had threatened. Still looking sorrowfully on Rolan, Narmion finally just willed himself over to unconsciousness- and, so tired was he in every way, that his body did as he wished, and succumbed to darkness.

(I’m sure this makes no sense… writing and being rushed by everyone in the house >< please let me know if I need to edit anything!)

[Edited on 31/5/2006 by dreamdancer]
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2006 10:12
Neth had been watching the sky as it grew later, and she finally got up with a sigh, pulled out the dagger from the tree, and headed slowly back through the trees to where she had been before with Morgai.

As she got closer, she could hear what sounded like a party going on. It seemed the orcs were celebrating something. Neth just shook her head and continued walking, finally reaching the tree she had perched in while speaking to the man who had hidden himself in the bush.

She pulled herself up into the tree, and settled herself on the branch she had sat on before, this time, her back to the tree and her long legs stretched out along the length of the branch.

Here she intended to wait for Morgai. She hoped he wouldn't be long.

(Sorry its short, but had to rush out to the doctor's office)
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2006 12:03
“Everyone to your posts you know what to do. Do whatever you have to, but take no unnecessary risks, If all goes wrong, No heroes, get out as best you can ”.

Eadoin gulped when he heard those words. Looking at the camp and then at his companions, he grimaced. So few against so many! He could only hope that nothing went wrong and that they could get Rolan and Narmion out of that tent alive.

"Don't worry so much," Arato said softly, clapping a hand on his brother's shoulder. His smile looked somewhat forced, but at least he was trying to look on the bright side. "We'll get out of there."

Turning, the two brothers followed the Captain to the edge of the camp. Eadoin once again found himself swallowing as he listened to the sounds of the party going on in the camp. He didn't even want to imagine what the celebration could be for.

----------

"Sir," one of the men in the camp said as he found Morgai brooding in front of his tent. Morgai glanced up at him, catching one of his knives as it came down before tossing it back into the air. For some reason, Morgai was restless. It made the other man nervous.

"Yes?" Morgai asked quietly.

"Lord Ondet wishes you to know that the final assault on Rivendell is nearing. He says that tomorrow preparations will begin. I think he also wishes to see you... but I could be wrong."

"I see." Morgai returned his gaze to his flipping knife. The man fidgeted in front of Morgai, leaving the Gondorian wondering why. Then he realized that the man was waiting for an answer from him, as he had undoubtedly been taught by his fellows. The dark-haired man looked up. "You may go."

With a bow, the other mercenary scurried off towards the party. Morgai continued to brood for another few minutes before he rose to his feet and decided to go see what Ondet wanted with him.

----------

Aiden was restlessly currying one of the horses in the stable. The stable boys gave him somewhat of a wide berth. He had something of a temper when he was nervous, and none of them wished to be at the wrong end of it.

After a time, Aiden gave up, threw the brush to where it belonged, and stalked from the stables. Outside in the courtyard, he stared down the path that the rescue party had taken and then up at the afternoon sun. Growling under his breath, he walked over to the porch and leaned against one of the pillars. He wanted his brothers home so he could stop worrying about them! It drove him crazy when they went off to do something without him.
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2006 03:44
He clawed his way into wakefulness, opening his eyes to find...blackness. For a moment, he wasn't sure he had opened his eyes at all. Perhaps it was a trick of the light - was it nighttime out? Or maybe there was a blindfold on him... But no, it came back with astonshing clarity. He was blind. For a terrible moment he panicked, twisting around in utter horror as he attempted to will his eyes to see for him. But nothing came, of course. And moving hurt too much. He stopped, vaguely registering that his head had cracked rather painfully against something.

"Narmion?" Rolan managed to croak. His throat burned with the effort of forcing air through it and the vibrating of his vocal chords hurt just as much. He waited for any reply, any sound that would tell him that his companion was alive. On an impulse, Rolan held his breath, and listened for the ragged breathing that had become so normal to the two of them. He caught a thin, rattling sound coming from his left. Rolan lifted his sightless eyes and focused them forward, straining to hear more. He let his breath go and heaved his chest with great gasps for air. Somehow his chest seemed to be so much tighter and breathing hurt. He wondered vaguely if he'd cracked a rib or two...

Ari let herself float around Imladris. She didn't really know where she wanted to go - she just wanted to be somewhere where nothing would remind her of the battles raging around Imladris itself. She sought the library eventually, but only after trying all the other places she could think of. She hadn't expected the great hall filled with books to be perfectly empty, but as she wandered among the shelves, she was very surprised to hear raised voices echoing through the hall. Curious, she followed the voices and, peeking out from around a bookshelf, saw two half-Elves that she knew vaguely. One was the scholar, Faeringril and the other the warrior-lass Amata. The latter was engaged in shouting at the former. Ari could only pick out bits and pieces of the words, but the ones she did hear left her wondering if she'd ever be rid of the ghosts of war.

Ari cautiously approached the scholar. She wanted desperately to talk about something that had nothing to do with warriors and warfare. She couldn't quite admit it to herself, but she was trying to hide from the realities she was facing in life. She hoped that this scholar might not be reading what the others were. Battle tactics, heroes in battles of legend - Glorifindel was a major subject, and his battle with the balrog - and such-like.

"Excuse me," Ari began timidly. She glanced down at the scrolls assembled before Faeringil and noted with a sigh of relief that none of them involved any reference to warfare whatsoever. In fact... She lifted up the scroll nearest to her and read the title: Of the History of Cornerstones.

"You're not busy, are you?" she asked slightly apprehensively. Another glance at the scrolls assembled around the scholar showed to be on topics as varied as any she'd ever seen. She peeked at the top of the scroll Faeringil was reading. It's title intrugied her. "You're reading about reincarnation of Elves?"
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2006 08:20
OOC I’ll get Glyndy ,Arato and Eadoin to the tent in this post. I don’t want to go too far ahead yet till otter has had the chance to post for Hanni .

The Elf Captain watched closely as the dwarf went forward as their first wave diversion, and glanced back to check that Bellas was in position. He checked that he had all three of his daggers, His sword to cumbersome to carry on this task; he had left on Sylstar’s saddle.
The rescue attempt had begun.

Glyndr waited until he was sure that most of the enemy was away from the vicinity of the tent, and where they were hidden, then signalled to Arato and Eadoin to follow.
He left Diablo to follow as he wished; Glyndr knew that the horse would not betray their presence.

The Captain crept forward, a silent ice phantom in shadow, acutely aware of exactly where Eadoin and Arato were behind him. His perfectly honed elven senses alert for any sound or sight of the enemy.

Three times he signalled them to halt , and lay flat, blending with the shadows as the guttural grunts and shrieks of wandering orcs, and dark shapes loomed too close.

They were almost within range of the tent when three dark ,deformed shapes came at them snorting and grunting in a drunken frenzy.
“ Take them!” Glyndr hissed to Arato and Eadoin,as he leapt cat-like on one of the shapes . “And quietly!”

An elven silver blade flashed once as Glyndr knocked the orc sprawling rolling over with it in the dust. The blade found its mark.

With a stifled gurgle, the orc struggled once, then lay still.
“ Over there”, The Captain whispered, his voice a low growl, “ Get the bodies under the bushes, NOW!”

Glyndr replaced the dagger in the side of his boot after wiping it clean of the stinking black orc blood.
He signalled for them to go forward.

As they reached the tent Glyndr froze. He glanced briefly at Arato and Eadoin, his blood ran again as ice.
Unseen evil lurked here; demons seemed to shriek around the very tent.
The Captain shuddered, then recovered quickly.

“There will be guards”, he whispered, “Both inside and out no doubt, I see three at the entrance, Eadoin take your position here as lookout, wait for our signal, then signal the smith”. The Captain paused , he looked at Eadoin with a cold , deep stare, “ Keep a careful watch. Kill if you have to, and at the first sign of any danger, damn well let us know , then run ”.

“Arato, come with me”, Glyndr drew two of his hidden daggers, the look of a hunting cat in his almost glowing eyes, “ You take the left, I’ll go from the right, We lure the guards outside away from the tent.” The Captain smiled a cold smile, “We cannot let those guards inside hear us slaughtering their comrades. Once they are dead, we go back and take those inside by silent surprise”.

Glyndr glanced back once at Eadoin, “ Take courage” he said before turning to Arato.

“We go in now” he growled as he moved forward in one swift move.

. OOC Not sure where Hanni would be , inside or out? So left it there till otter gets a chance to write for Hanni. I’ll edit/ change anything if necessary NP.

Can’t wait to read everyone’s posts, and continue the rescue!
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2006 05:43
((*pokes the thread*))

Eadoin could feel his heart thumping wildly in his chest as Glyndr ordered them into the camp. With every step he took, he was afraid he was making too much noise, and would alert the camp of their presence before they even reached the tent. But as they found themselves sneaking further and further into the camp, he began to relax a little bit. That is, until three orcs came along.

“ Take them!” Glyndr hissed to Arato and Eadoin,as he leapt cat-like on one of the shapes . “And quietly!”

As Glyndr took one quickly and quietly, while Arato went after the second. Arato, due to an unlucky pick, had taken the biggest one, and when he went to kill it, it struggled against him. Small sounds of a scuffle reached the third orc's ears before Eadoin pounced on it from behind, driving one of his brother's daggers into the base of its skull. They dutifully dragged the orcs into the bushes while Arato looked disgustedly at his kill.

"Blasted thing," Arato growled, "it just had to fight back, didn't it?" The continued to creep forward until they reached the tent, where Glyndr froze.

"Captain?" Arato asked quietly, shifting slightly to get weight off his still healing leg. He shivered at the feeling he got from the tent, suddenly afraid of what they might see within. Eadoin squirmed uncomfortably, feeling a chill run up his spine.

“There will be guards”, he whispered, “Both inside and out no doubt, I see three at the entrance, Eadoin take your position here as lookout, wait for our signal, then signal the smith”. The Captain paused , he looked at Eadoin with a cold , deep stare, “ Keep a careful watch. Kill if you have to, and at the first sign of any danger, damn well let us know , then run ”.

"Yes, sir," Eadoin said. He waited until his brother and the Captain had snuck away before taking a risk to straighten up a little bit so he could get a better look around at the camp.
otterling
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2006 06:28
((OOC: I am Sooooooooo sorry this took so long. Hope you all enjoy.))

The Captain pushed a stray lock of hair behind a bejeweled pointed ear, then fixed his sharp gaze on Hanni.
“Dwarf, you will act as our diversion”, he smiled his half smile , but his voice was deadly serious as he said, “ You of all of us ,are most likely to be taken as an orc, with your stature and armour”.

In all the history of all the dwarves, never had there been such a bristling of whiskers or a face as red as the one Hanni bore as the words left Glyndr’s mouth. “Wha…I….you….,” she finished with a guttural growl and slapped her hammer into her open palm as punctuation and promise of things to come. Never had Hanni been so insulted in her life. An orc? This willowy twig of an immortal dared to say she favored an ORC? Every muscle in her body was set a quiver with irritation and her whiskers were twitching so rapidly now that she could have set fire to brush had she been close enough. In her apoplectic fit Hanni’s mouth opened and closed giving her the impression of a great fuzzy goldfish that had been tossed out onto land. Oh, this elf was just asking for bloodied kneecaps.

Glyndr paused as he awaited her reaction, “No offence intended, but needs must. You will lure those closest to the tent towards a fire some distance away”. The smile returned briefly, “I am sure that you can think of some interesting diversion”. The Elf Captain glanced towards Bellas, then back to Hanni, “ Dwarf, keep the damned demons occupied, and distracted until you see the smith’s signal. That signal means that we have the prisoners, and are on our way out of there. At the signal, cut their horses free from the lines, as many of the animals as you can. That will be the diversion that gives us the chance to escape unnoticed”. He allowed himself a ghost of a grin, “I know how much you like horses”.

“Why you…,” Hanni snorted, grumbled, growled and cursed the day she met this ice captain, which, in dwarvish, was a truly unpleasant sound. “Indeed,” she began when she had finally found words to force between the opening and closing of her mouth, “and I suppose you want me to walk in there and start up a conversation until then?! Despite the fact that you are obviously blind and cannot tell the difference between and orc and a dwarf, an offence that will likely get your legs cut out from under ye’, those ugly brutes in there aren’t going to be fooled.” Hanni puffed out her chest and offered Glyndr a challenging smile, “No offence intended of course, I’m just pointing out, an orc might be smarter than you.” Hanni nodded once, just for show really, and then put her hand on her hip and dropped the head of her hammer to the ground. The captain seemed to ignore her outburst for the most part and he turned to address the rest of the group, assigning tasks to each that would aid in their escape. Finally, the captain turned back to the huffing little dwarf and smiled, the light of mischief in his eyes.

The Captain looked at Hanni thoughtfully; sizing her up and down, “Wait here” he said as he slid ghost like into the tall ferns. A short while later he returned with a pile of orc armour, its wandering, careless, original owner no longer needed it after its meeting with the Captain. “Wear that, I think it is your size”.

Hanni stared incredulously at the filthy armor thrust out before her. Aside from just being dinged and dingy, it held to it a reek all it’s own that only an orc could produce. Hanni wrinkled up her nose and squinted against the almost tangible onslaught of that smell. Surely the captain was joking, a joke she felt had gone too far, but as the armor continued to hover just before her face, the realization hit that this was no joke. The ice captain was being serious. “I can’t wear that,” Hanni gruffed in complaint, “I’ll never get the smell out of my own clothes!” The captain stood unwavering, a ghost of a smile playing across his face. He was enjoying this. The mere idea of wearing the orc armor offended Hanni enough to set her whiskers twitching once again and she shook her head no, “it’s inferior armor. I’ll get myself killed wearing that!” Still the ice captain did not budge, the armor extended to its reluctant recipient. “I’ll still have red hair! And who ever saw a female orc? They don’t actually exist I tell you.” Each successive excuse was met with the unblinking stare of the captain who simply wasn’t taking no for an answer. “Never,” she finally declared in a tone that brooked no argument, “you’ll never get me into that filthy mess.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thirty minutes later, Hanni pushed through the last of the brush before stepping into the clearing leading to the camp. It had taken some twenty minutes to convince her to get into the armor and another ten just to pry her war hammer out of her hands. The hammer would stand out far too much in the midst of orcs and it was only when Bellas had taken the hammer, and sworn upon seven generations of his kin that he would make sure it came to no harm, that Hanni finally relinquished it. Now she found herself moving with a discomfort borne not only for the grimy metal she had been foisted into but also by the nagging fear in her heart that she would soon be discovered. For the fourth time in so many minutes, she pulled and tugged on the uncomfortable breast plate she was squeezed into; the armor had not been made with her ample dwarven bosom in mind and even now she drew a deep breath and felt her eyes roll skyward at the pressure put on her sensitive chest. May all the Dwarf Lord’s forbid that she get into a fight here as she was sure one hit would split this armor off of her in a moment. Hanni mentally cursed the captain to die many painful deaths, preferably being eaten alive by rats, as she shuffled uncomfortably towards the thick swarm of orcs just ahead. The visor on her orc helmet had to be pulled down to cover her face but Hanni could hardly breathe through the stench which rolled off the inside.

The fear of discovery grew in her heart and finally blotted out the smell of her armor, leaving her eyes darting about the inside of the helm as she strained to see through the meager cracks through which it afforded a view of the camp. The only part of the dwarf not now covered in armor was her bottom, which, having proven a little to ample even by orc standards, would not fit into any piece of metal the captain and his band of elves had tried to force over it. Hanni finally arrived at the first small campfire where the orcs were huddled around in a drunken stupor. She squeezed her eyes shut and kept walking, waiting at any moment for the swarm to descend upon her. After a few moments though, Hanni paused and carefully opened one eye. She had moved right past the first circle without as much as a word, leaving behind her four orcs who were never the wiser to the traitor. A sigh of relief escaped her lips and Hanni immediately regretted the action as it seemed to stir up what ever was in the helm with her causing the stench. Hanni coughed a few times and tried to entertain herself with new pains she could inflict upon the ice captain as she made her way deeper into the camp. She had just decided on rubbing fresh peppers into the crotch of all his armor when her thoughts were interrupted by a rough hand on her shoulder.

Hanni froze. Her heart leapt up into her throat and she instinctively reached for a hammer that was no longer there. The hand whipped her around and she found herself face to face with a large ugly brute, his beady black eyes roving the visor which protected her identity. The beast wore a slightly fancier armor than her own which still wasn’t saying much considering that it was an orc, but it gave the impression he was a leader of some sort or another. The monster grunted and growled in her direction, mere inches from her face, and shook her shoulder roughly. It was obviously trying to talk to her in its own tongue but Hanni had never bothered to learn orc, having nothing really to say to the beasts that a hammer couldn’t translate, and so she stood helplessly in its grasp as the thing breathed a foul odor right into the cracks of her helmet. It was in that moment that Hanni decided the ice captain had chosen a particularly clean orc when he’d grabbed her armor, for it paled in comparison by far to the vile smell which accosted her now. Hanni was sure her eyelashes had just curled up and her nose hairs simply had to be singed by such an onslaught. She could not imagine what one would have to eat to reproduce such a smell and she decided she’d rather not find out. The lead orc seemed to be asking her a question judging by the tone of its last grunt and Hanni, not knowing what else to do, shrugged helplessly.

That seemed a good enough answer for the leader who released her and stormed off in the direction she had been heading. He paused a few feet ahead and motioned for her to follow. Having little alternative, Hanni complied and scuffled off after him. The orc cut a rather clear path through the party goers, tossing a few clean out of his way when he felt they were moving too slow until, at last, he stopped before a large tent near the center of camp. Two guards stood outside the opening, still and straight, the only sign thus far that these beasts were capable of military action, and Hanni allowed her eyes to roam over the tent itself while the orc leader yelled at one of the guards. The tent reeked of evil and its fabric sides seemed to writhe in the flickering light of torches and campfires, sending chills down Hanni’s spine. Without being given a chance to argue, Hanni was thrust towards the tent flap and pushed inside. She stumbled upon her entry and then spun back to look at the leader who grunted a few choice words at her and then disappeared in all haste from the tent, not that Hanni could really blame him. She stood glaring at the door, trying to decide if she could risk just walking back out the way she came in, when a soft whimpering sound caught her attention from somewhere deeper in the tent. Slowly, cautiously, Hanni turned in a circle where she was, here eyes scanning the tent walls for the source of that noise. It was only when it sounded again that she looked down to discover a sad sight at her feet.

There lay an elf man, tattered, torn, bruised and bloodied, his fingers outstretched towards a blade lying just out of reach. The elf’s hair had been cut short and his arms were laced with thin, angry red lines. He was shivering ever so slightly and his eyes were squeezed shut. The elf’s legs were still tied together and blood was splattered across the floor in a myriad of crisscrossing lines. To his right, laying still and silent, was a sight that had Hanni trying not to vomit in her helmet. A human boy lay bound and curled up on the floor, his hair, chest, and neck a mess of dried and crusted blood, but it was the two crimson tears that had stained the youthful face which left Hanni shaking slightly.

In all the heavens and all the abyss, what evil would do this to a child?
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 04, 2006 07:26
((sorry so short for Amata - I wanted to write more, but ran out of time))

“Are you alright?” she asked, knowing the answer, “Did you find Faeringil?”

Amata stared straight ahead, seeming not to notice Lalaith. However after a moment she sighed. “Yes, I found him.” Silence for a moment longer, then, “I don’t understand why I argue with him all the time. I went into the room promising myself that I wouldn’t, and then,” she gestured hopelessly. “What goes wrong? It’s always my fault. I’m always the one who starts it.”
She sighed, and drew a pattern in the dusty ground with one of her fingers. “I just wish he’d help out a bit more.”

"You're not busy, are you?"

Faeringil glanced up in surprise as Arianna spoke to him. He spent a moment remembering where he was – still cooling off his thoughts from the recent conflict with his sister.
“Um, what? No, I’m not busy…” he sighed. “Should I be? You’re not going to execute me for not doing anything, are you?” he mumbled, half to himself, before rubbing his forehead and apologising to Ari. “I’m sorry.” He paused, looking down at the scrolls, as if he couldn’t remember what they were for. Maybe I’m finally losing it, he thought.

"You're reading about reincarnation of Elves?"

She sounded a little surprised, and Fae glanced towards her again. “Yes… yes, I am.” His eyes suddenly lit up and his enthusiasm returned. “It’s actually very interesting. I’m not sure if I believe in it myself, but these writers do put up a very good argument – for, and against, of course…” his eyes wandered over the parchment. “See here, ‘the idea of reincarnation was first introduced towards the end of the first age by mortal humans, not elves. However, the idea has travelled between the races until several learned scholars of the elves were taken in by the argument. These revolutionists were met with great opposition who accused them of heresy against the Valar…'” he trailed off, his gaze drifting down the page once more. “It’s not the most well written piece, but it has some interesting points.” He suddenly glanced up at her, apprehensive. “I’m… I’m not boring you, am I?”
He sighed. “Amata told me that I should be learning to fight,” he explained, supposing that she had overheard the loud conversation. He glanced aside to his fellow scholars. “Even my comrades of the library are researching what she calls ‘useful’ things, but I… I don’t understand warfare.”

[Edited on 4/6/2006 by anduril269]
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2006 10:30
Ari sat down beside Faeringil. "No, you're not boring me. I've been looking to get away from the whole war thing for a while, now. I can't stand it day in and day out for much longer. I think I'll go over the edge if I don't find something to do." She looked down at her hands. "I really don't understand warfare myself, either. It seems such a waste at the best of times..." she trailed off and sat in silence for a few moments, reading over the other Elf's shoulder. A passage in the scroll caught her attention and she pointed it out, making a questioning noise as she did so.

Though scholars differ on the truth behind these, some examples of reincarnation of Elves themselves have been reported. One such example was in the case of Glorfindel of Gondolin - slayer of the balrog that came to destroy the fair city of Gondolin. Alledgedly reincarnated during the Second Age, Glorfindel of Gondolin became Glorfindel of Rivendell and served Lord Elrond of Rivendel as a military advisor.
A second example of Elven reincarnation....

She frowned. "Glorifindel was reincarnated?" she asked, leaning forward to examine the scroll more carefully. Further down, after several more examples of Elves that were assumed to have been reborn Ari spotted another paragraph. This one dealt with the substance of rebirth, according to its title. "Faeringil," she said slowly, "do you think it's possible to recall several hundred Elven soldiers from the Halls of Waiting?" She knew the answer intellectually, of course. It wasn't possible to recall all that many, true, but maybe one could be brought back...

She turned to Faeringil and said eagerly, "Do you want to try something?" Ari didn't wait for his reply. She scooped both the scroll and the Elf up and swept them out of the library, down the hall and into the gardens. Once there she flung herself down, taking the scroll with her and scanned it again to relocate the passage. "Look here," she said excitedly. "It says that we can attempt to recall the spirit of a deceased Elf into Arda once again." She skimmed the topic, frowning a little. "It doens't mention anything we'll specifically need, besides the name of the Elf we want back," she mused aloud. "Any ideas?" Ari asked Faeringil whose looked rather confused by the sudden change of scene.

Ari had an idea of her own, of course, but she wasn't really sure that she could use it... She'd heard tales from Eadoin and the others about a certain pair of Elves that had died in the last war with the orcs. She remembered the names clearly and a vague picture each elicited came to mind. She wasn't quite sure if she needed more than that or not. The scroll wasn't definite at all. Ari looked expectantly at Faeringil, who seemed quite at a loss for any idea.

Sounds seemed so much sharper now. Rolan flinched when he heard the harsh sound of grating metal around the tent. He figured that Di'shan had left orc guards. Over and over he opened his eyes, blinked them and fought to keep from crying out his anguish at eyes that could not see. Inside, he felt rather like he'd deserved this all along, that this was his punishment for not being faster on his feet when fighting in the first battle at Imladris. It was fitting, wasn't it? yes, Rolan decided, answering his own question and driving that upset voice out of his head. It was more than fitting. It was the best thing - okay, maybe not the best thing, but definetly the most awakening experience - that had ever happened to him. He rolled over and tried to sleep. He couldn't. He was hot and cold and sweaty and shaking all at once.

Creaking metal sounded again, much closer this time and the boy forced himself to stillness. He heard the gutteral language of the orcs spoken much too loudly for his comfort and fought to keep his hands from jumping up to cover his ears. When on earth had these monsters gotten so loud? Rolan's teeth ground together as he struggled to keep from making any noise to draw the notice of one of the orcs he supposed were now in the tent. He could feel his pulse quickening under the stress of the moments passing and wondered why no answering sound came. Instead of relaxing him, the realization made him tremble all the more. Who was here? he wanted to scream. What was going on? It was bad enough when he'd been helpless and at Di'shan's mercy with sight. Worse now was it without that sight.

Rolan supressed one violent shudder after another. Inevitablely, one got though his attempts to stop. He shook like a lone leaf on a tree in a raging gale and could not stop. He curled tighter against the freezing-heat feel of the air.

Only one thought made its way into his mind.

When had the cool night air become like fire and ice at the same time?

Diablo picked his way through the camp with great care, making sure to avoid all places that could become trouble. How ever much he wanted to bash in the skulls of these stupid orc things, he was here with a purpose and that did not include getting caught. He was here for Rolan and Narmion. Over and over the stallion reminded himself of that and kept his gait slow and measured, waiting for the right moment before darting by groups of orcs that were singing songs in their disgusting language. He hoped they all fell into the river during winter. With their armor on.

The roundabout way to the tent Diablo knew Rolan was at took longer than the stallion had anticipated. He reached the tent as several large orcs began to shove a smaller orc around. Wondering if the smaller orc was Hanni in disguise, Diablo pricked his ears and watched. A particularly nasty shove from one of the bigger orcs sent the smaller one sprawling and the helmet rolle off. Diablo was ready to rush in if necessary to save the fuzzy bush. His assistance wasn't required, however, because the smaller orc was just that. A small orc. A dead small orc after the larger ones waltzed away together, laughing.

The stallion rubbed his hooves on the grass to get the disgusting residue from the orc's head off his feet. That accomplished, Diablo circled back around the tent, waiting for Glyndr to arrive. He was waiting to bear the prisoners to safety. Glyndr and whatever others the Elf had chosen to bring could fight their way out easily enough. It was the prisoners that would need the special care only Diablo of all the mounts could give.
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2006 10:54
In an instant the Elf Captain seemed to disappear into the darkness, like mist melting into morning light.
He moved fast. Low and silent , his well trained senses told him exactly where Arato was as the man moved off in the opposite direction.

Glyndr stopped at a line of dark thorn bushes, just out of the firelight.
He waited until he saw Arato in position opposite him, then threw a rock hard at one of the two remaining orc guards outside the tent. The rock ricocheted off the creature’s helmet with a resounding clang; the helmet’s occupant reeled and almost fell into the tent before it regained whatever sense of balance it ever had in the first place.

Both guards stared towards the direction the rock had come from , grunting and squawking peering into the darkness as they moved forward cautiously.
Glyndr nodded to Arato, then stepped briefly into the edge of the light, his presence shown, just to give the guards that little bit of extra bait.

“Stupid, gullible insects”, Glyndr spat as the orcs blundered forward to certain death. “How do they ever expect to win a war with an army full of these useless things?”

Orc daggers collected, and orc bodies disposed of in the bushes, Glyndr turned to Arato.
“That seemed too easy”, he said with a frown, “ Let us hope that the luck of the Valar stays with us, we have a long way to go yet before we are safe”.

As they returned stealthily towards the tent, Glyndr slowed .
The Captain stopped a short distance from the entrance; he stared at the structure as if it were the very essence of evil itself. The demons still wailed their laments around them; the air seemed alive, tainted with evil’s fire.

“ We take whatever guards are in there”, the Captain finally found his voice, “ That done, you take the boy, and I’ll get Narmion out”.
Glyndr turned to look at Arato, his usually pale blue eyes now seemed to have darkened to a shade of indigo, “ Arato, do not let the sight of the atrocities we shall no doubt see in there, distract you, or cloud your judgement. Ignore it as much as you can. We must think clearly, we have no time to waste”.
From somewhere Glyndr knew that Diablo was not so very far away.
He needed the stallion’s help , and was relieved that the horse was close.

“We go in now”.
Glyndr slid swiftly into the tent and leapt at the nearest guard, knocking it off balance . He rolled with it , twisting his supple body to allow him to manoeuvre a slender elven blade between the guard’s helmet and armour at the base of its skull.

The Elf stopped within a fraction of driving the dagger home.
The armour seemed very familiar; he untangled himself, and leapt back off the guard as if he had been stung.
It was no orc he had nearly dispatched.
“Dwarf! What are you doing here?” he hissed, “You almost got yourself killed”.

Without waiting for an answer Glyndr turned back quickly to the task of the rescue.
The Elf Captain froze, every emotion flashed in his frost cold eyes, every curse he knew was not strong enough to damn those who had done this to two defenceless souls.

The battle hardened Captain had seen every atrocity, every torture that evil could inflict on those in battle, and on those innocents in raided villages, but even he stood now, visibly shocked.

“Arato, the child”, Glyndr regained his composure, The Captain took off his tunic, then crouched beside Rolan, “ Take the child Arato” he said his voice cracked.

Glyndr wrapped the tunic gently around the frail form, before going to Narmion.
“Valar!” he hissed under his breath. The battered, bloodied form that lay beside him no longer resembled the Elf he once knew.
“Narmion my friend,” Glyndr hoped the ellon could hear him, “ I am so sorry Narmion, I do not want to hurt you, but we must get you and Rolan out of here fast”.

With Narmion freed from the bonds that kept him the plaything of evil, Glyndr lifted him carefully.
“ Dwarf” he looked up briefly at Hanni , “Tell Eadoin outside, to signal the smith to get our horses ready, “We have no diversion now that you are here, No matter , we will take our chances, Diablo is out there , he will take the prisoners to safety once we are outside, I know it”.

Glyndr paused.
“ We go now, move swiftly, and keep silence” Glyndr smiled a ghost of a smile, “We are almost there …”.

OOC ..hope ok ...Let's try to get home safely . (doubt it!)

Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2006 02:15
((*Screeches and flails around like a windmill* THE POOR ROLAN!))

As the elf Captain disappeared quickly - too quickly for Arato's taste, reminding him, yet again, of how inferior he was to Glyndr - into the night, Arato slunk along his edge of the tent, watching his feet in the half light provided by the fires. Clearing the tent, he found a convieniently placed pile of firewood and slipped behind it, looking over the top for Glyndr. The captain appeared a moment later and distracted the orcs before killing them. That few seconds had allowed Arato to slither to a position closer to the tent. Glyndr approached a moment later.

"Perhaps because they're expendable - Valar knows they spawn like crazy," Arato muttered in reply to the Captain's question. Glyndr was staring at the tent like it was a fate worse than death (which, considering what Eadoin had told them, it probably was) and Arato was beginning to grow uncomfortable, fearing that they'd be discovered. Then, the elf swept into the tent, leaving Arato little choice but to follow. Glyndr was speaking to one of the guards as he entered.

"The dwarf?!" Arato asked in shock. He took a deep breath to laugh, but almost choked on the scent in the air. He looked around at the tent, noticing the bloody piles on the ground. He visibly paled and had to close his eyes, turning away and covering his mouth with his hand lest he lose his last meal. This was one of the worst sights he had ever seen, and as a healer, that was saying something.

“Arato, the child”, Glyndr regained his composure, The Captain took off his tunic, then crouched beside Rolan, “ Take the child Arato” he said his voice cracked.

Arato turned back around when he heard Glyndr telling him to take Rolan. He crouched down next to the boy as the elf moved to comfort Narmion, who looked no better than Rolan. Arato pushed that from his mind and laid a hand on Rolan's forehead, frowning as he felt the fever raging in the boy's system.

"Valar," Arato hissed in sympathy, scrabbling for his water skin and uncorking the top. He gently eased Rolan up into his arms and placed the skin at the boy's lips. "Rolan, can you hear me? It's Arato." He waited for the boy to acknowledge him, praying that the wouldn't be to late to save him from this fever.

----------

It was around sunset, and the bells were ringing for the evening meal, but Aiden wasn't moving. He wasn't hungry, and he was determined to wait until his brothers arrived home safely. However, that idea was dashed as he saw Arianna tearing into the gardens, leading what looked like a scholar in her wake.

"What the...?" Aiden asked himself. Curiousity piqued, he left his position at the pillar he had been leaning against for the better part of an hour with a mournful glance at the gateway and followed. He came up on them just as Arianna was beginning to speak.

"Look here," she said excitedly. "It says that we can attempt to recall the spirit of a deceased Elf into Arda once again." She skimmed the topic, frowning a little. "It doens't mention anything we'll specifically need, besides the name of the Elf we want back," she mused aloud. "Any ideas?"

"Excuse me for interrupting, but I couldn't help but overhear..." Aiden said, stepping from behind the bush. "Just what are you talking about? Recalling elves to Arda?"
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2006 03:26
"Rolan."

He heard his name.

"It's Arato."

No! No - it wasn't. It was a dream - it had to be. No, no, no!

"No!" Rolan choked, pushing back weakly against whatever was trying to pick him up. He wondered when Di'shan had gotten back. Wondered when the evil man had learned the names of his friends and to imitate their voices... Rolan tried to twist away from the strong grasp but he couldn't. He wasn't strong enough to escape the hands picking him up. "No," he rasped out again, but it lacked the conviction of the last time. No - he was giving up. 'No' didn't mean anything definite anymore. It was just his way of giving up, at least for a little while. Maybe he wouldn't wake up from the dream and he'd see Arato and Narmion and Glyndr and Eadoin and Aiden and Diablo again. Maybe...

Pawing at the ground while waiting for the humans and Elves to emerge from the tent was not enough for Diablo. He couldn't stand here while his boy-colt was hurting! The stallion came around to the front of the tent and entered, shoving the flap aside viciously with his head. He froze when he caught sight of Narmion and Rolan. All at once Diablo was very glad he was outfitted in the special black tack that would enable the two of them to be belted into place. He'd protested earlier against it, but now it seemed a very good idea indeed. Not only would the straps hold the two of them in, Diablo would be able to fight with them on his back. It was a prospect the black horse didn't mind so much. He was ready for anything.

Diablo nudged Arato and turned broadside, indicating that the man should buckle Rolan into the harness so they could take off. He snorted at Glyndr. They needed to get Narmion out of here as well.

Rolan was buckled in and Diablo was ready to go. He walked out of the tent and came face to face with a trio of orcs. Without any real regard for the need for secrecy, Diablo kicked out at the orcs. One hoof caught an orc right in the chest and it fell to the ground, the breath blasted from its body. The other two orcs were a little quicker and managed to dodge the raging stallion's hooves. But Diablo was not about to let them get away. He kept himself from screaming a challenge - barely. But he wanted them dead.

Two strides and a couple of pounding kicks later, the orcs were just a puddle of muddy blood and dented armor. Diablo turned and rejoined the group about to leave. He was just about to go when someone noticed something was wrong and called out an alarm. It was time to make a real run for it.

Ari looked up at Aiden's voice and smiled brightly. "Do you always hide behind bushes and eavesdrop on conversations?" she inquired teasingly. "No - don't answer that." She laughed a little. "I might not like the answer." Ari returned her attention to Faeringil and the scroll, though she continued to speak with Aiden.

"Faeringil was reading a scroll in the library about reincarnation of Elves," she told him. "I wanted to get away from all the war stuff for awhile so I went there," she added, in response to an unspoken question. Or maybe she just felt the need to justify her visit. It was hard to tell sometimes... "I -" she faltered a bit and glanced up at Aiden. "I was thinking that maybe we could try to call back a soldier from the Halls of Waiting." Ari blushed a bit and looked down at her feet. "I remember you all talking about that Elf who fell out on the plains during the last battle with the orcs. Eadoin told me his name, and said that he'd had a brother as well. I thought..." she trailed off, leaving the rest open to interpretation as the young man would.

Dirk was in his tent sleeping when the first alarms were raised. He rolled over and told the walls of his tent to go take a long hike. Whoever was calling out now for people to arm themselves was going to be in serious trouble the next morning. The Rohirrim yawned hugely and rolled over. Back to sleep, that was all he cared about.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 05, 2006 04:53
Narmion had woken once from the sweet oblivion of unconsciousness to see Rolan peering about but unseeing with ruined eyes. He’d wanted to say something- to apologize, or let the child know that he was still here with him- but he couldn’t summon up any words. So he’d gone back to sleep- if it could be called sleep- and didn’t wake again until much later. His elven senses were dulled, but he heard the sounds of celebration without, and the grunts of orcish guards even closer. He thought again of the terrible things he’d done in his pitiful weakness, and looked at his young companion again. Rolan was lying curled up, still bound, lost in a sleep of his own.

Di’Shan hadn’t returned- and no one had bothered them in their miserable prison. But how long would the despondent peace go on? Surely they wouldn’t be left to starve to death… not with so many orcs around. The tormentor’s threats to turn both prisoners over to the vile creatures rang clear in Narmion’s memory despite his pain and exhaustion, and deep down he could guess that was the end they could expect. The idea made him shudder, and weakly he reached again for the dagger, determined in his fear to save them at *least* from that fate. The elf found, however, that his strength was just too far gone, and he couldn’t command his right arm to do anything at all… Then when an orc burst into the tent he squeezed his eyes shut, waiting fearfully to be seized.
Nothing happened.
He dared to look, and saw the bulky armored figure just standing there… what was it waiting for? Desperately he wished he had the strength to take the dagger and kill the evil thing, but he didn’t.
Suddenly, the tent became much more crowded. Narmion was only half-aware of it all, and he thought that Glyndr and Arato could not possibly be there, and that his mind was finally succumbing to madness. He was certain it was a dream when Glyndr didn’t even kill the orc… but then his friend was kneeling beside him, speaking. The words sounded as though they came from far away but the voice was most defiantly Glyndr’s… except it was veined with an emotion the elf had never heard there before.

“Narmion my friend,” Glyndr hoped the ellon could hear him, “ I am so sorry Narmion, I do not want to hurt you, but we must get you and Rolan out of here fast”.

Narmion tried to answer, but he didn’t do more than groan. The bonds holding his ankles were cut and then he was lifted, and the strain of merely being moved was enough to almost make him pass out again. Frantically he clung to consciousness through the intense pain racking his body, inwardly torn between being relieved and simply being horrified. He’d wanted to die, and in his own mind he deserved it… if his friends were killed on his account then he was certain his soul would be condemned….

He was to be secured to Diablo’s harness, but Narmion knew without a doubt he wouldn’t be able to sit up by himself, even if he was strapped in- the idea of having to try was frightening. Plus, even in his muddled mind he figured that the black horse would be able to move about more easily if he had only Rolan to care for. The boy was the first concern, after all. In a near-whisper the elf more or less begged Glyndr to carry him on Sylstar. The logic that the Captain’s horse was back in the woods didn’t seem to matter... he still felt as if it were all a dream.

Bellas had been watching carefully hidden, just able to see the tent and what went on there. Now he stood nursing a small, stinging blade wound on his arm- he’d had to take down an orc scout, and now he was eager for the others to get out of the camp so they could leave. The celebration was still in full swing, but more orcs and men seemed to be leaving the large fires… and one in particular had the smith worried. He was strutting about like he was important, carrying a flask in one hand and shoving orcs around with the other. This man, obviously ranked high, was slowly moving toward the place where attention did *not* need to be…

Suddenly Bellas saw the black horse burst out of the tent, though the man he was watching didn’t notice right away. Other figures emerged, one having to be Hanni in orc garb, not causing the distraction as she was ordered to do-- Glyndr’s strategy wasn’t going as planned, and from his position the blacksmith could see that it was about to fall completely apart!

Delvan was in an ill mood, annoyed that he couldn’t sleep and in the mood to stir up trouble. He didn’t know where Morgai was, and Dirk was sleeping, so the man was headed to the tent of Di’Shan. He didn’t know exactly what he planned on doing once he got there- causing suffering wasn’t his area of expertise, and Ondet hadn’t wanted the prisoners killed yet. Or, at least not the elf. He’d said nothing at all about the child…

The Captain was meandering through the large camp at his own comfortable pace when he suddenly took notice of a small commotion near the tent. For a moment he just glared, thinking that the stupid orcs must be throwing tantrums over who had to go in the tent- but quickly realized what was happening.

“HOLD!” he bellowed, his lips curling into a snarl as he caught sight of two men, one unmistakable elf and that blasted horse, making off with the prisoners! Without wasting a second Delvan rushed after them on foot- to no avail, since they’d had a head start- then shouted an assortment of curses and orders at the filth he commanded as he flew to mount his horse. In mere moments several men were mounted and following, crashing through the trees. The warrior had his sword drawn as he searched angrily for those who would *dare* to cross the borders of Ondet’s camp, lust for blood feeding his ire when he didn’t see them right away…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amata stared straight ahead, seeming not to notice Lalaith. However after a moment she sighed. “Yes, I found him.” Silence for a moment longer, then, “I don’t understand why I argue with him all the time. I went into the room promising myself that I wouldn’t, and then,” she gestured hopelessly. “What goes wrong? It’s always my fault. I’m always the one who starts it.”
She sighed, and drew a pattern in the dusty ground with one of her fingers. “I just wish he’d help out a bit more.”

Lalaith didn’t know what to say. Her mind was mostly on her husband and friends…

“Well, we’re not helping anything by sitting here,” she said with a wan smile, patting the half-elf’s knee, “Come, we must have things ready for when they bring Narmion and Rolan back.”

Getting to her feet she beckoned to Istale, and then welcomed both their aid in preparing beds for the captives, and having supplies ready in case anyone else was hurt. Mostly she just wanted to keep herself busy, and her mind occupied. Night was coming on after many slow, agonizing hours, and the elleth was more worried than ever, but still busying herself with keeping water warmed and ready.

(eh, let me know if I need to edit anything with the rescue… I always seem to have someone demanding their turn at the computer when I try to write for this thread ><. )
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2006 05:21
[OOC: Being totally unfocused and not doing my homework like I’m supposed to be. Eheh.]

When Amata had left in search of her brother there followed a period of long but companionable silence as Lalaith and Istalë sat back to back on the porch, the blonde’s vision still trained on the now empty path the rescue party had taken, the other gazing blankly into the distant gardens where, despite everything, some flowers were in bloom. Perhaps not as bright, not as vibrant as they would have been, but the plants were flowering none the less, and they were surviving.

The sun was out; in the valley below the Bruinen made the only background noise to be heard now that almost all the wildlife was gone from the woods surrounding Imladris, and Istalë could see in her mind’s eye the way the waters would be sparkling in the light, the way the trees, the vast expanse of pines and silver birch, would be rustling in the warm summer breeze, shafts of liquid gold piercing through the thick leaves to stripe the soft loam of the forest floor. It was the way things had always been. The elleth wondered how it was that things could change so drastically in so short a time, and yet some things remained the way they were through everything.

The halfelven returned in a fit and a fury; Istalë did not need to ask to know what had transpired between Amata and Faeringil. She had spoken to Faeringil more than enough times to know that it was inevitable the two siblings should generate so much friction – one was a fiery hothead; Amata had a firm grip on reality and was not afraid to get down and dirty when needed; while her brother was the archetypical dreamer, one of those people who believed in the principles of “out of sight, out of mind”. He seemed to believe that books could solve everything, and although Istalë believed that good reasoning and knowledge was a powerful tool or weapon, there were simply times when a “jump in and get dirty” approach was the best way to go.

She shrugged.

“I know, Faeringil tends to get more than a little passive. But sometimes I just think he does not even know how to start. I would say it is not that he does not want to help; rather he is not the most grounded of people, so even if he does want to help he has no idea how. At least, that is how I feel about him. But perhaps you know your brother better. I am no judge of anyone.”

Behind her, she felt Lalaith rise.

“Well, we’re not helping anything by sitting here,” she said with a wan smile, patting the half-elf’s knee, “Come, we must have things ready for when they bring Narmion and Rolan back.”

With a curt nod, she joined her two friends in the healing wing of the house, and as night fell Istalë cast a last glance over the room, taking stock of all the preparations, before settling on the windowsill with a clear view of the courtyard, looking at and yet not reading the book of herbs on her lap, casting glances at the darkening road every few seconds.

Bring them home. She cried out silently into the night. For all our sakes, Valar, let them all get back safe.
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2006 07:05
Nethraueth was nearly dozing in the tree when there was a suddenly outcry from the camp. She leaped to her feet on the branch, and saw crowds of orcs heading in one direction, and she heard Men shouting as they and the orcs began crashing into the trees not far from where she was waiting.

Making a split second choice, Neth went higher into the tree, pulling her hair back into one braid, and hunching down on a higher branch as best she could. She pushed as much of her hair as she could into the neck of her vest and down her back, so it would be less visible in the light. She held the hilts of her sword and her dagger in her hands, ready to draw and defend at any moment.

She hoped that she would see Morgai and not someone else approaching her. She didn't know the strength and prowess of these men. She had no fear of orcs, but the Race of Men was a different story.
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2006 05:48
Gently, Arato eased Rolan up onto Diablo's back as the horse entered the tent. He pushed the urge to berate the horse on this course of action into the back of his mind, at least until later. He watied until Glyndr had gotten Narmion ready to leave before holding the tent flap open for the horse to slip through.

"HOLD!

Arato swore under his breath as they were discovered, turning to Diablo and slapping the horse sharply on the rump.

"Go!" he snapped at the horse. Eadoin stepped carefully around the tent and eyed them nervously. "Eadoin, make sure that Diablo gets Rolan safely out of camp. If anyone tries to stop them, do what you must to get him through."

"Right," Eadoin replied, running after the horse and drawing two of the knives on his belt as he went. Arato watched as his brother disappeared before turning back to the Captain.

"Now what?"

---

Morgai shoved through the celebrating orcs as he fought to get to Ondet's tent. Even his high position didn't make the going any faster - drunk orcs were decidedly unruly orcs. He had almost reached the large tent when someone raised the alarm.

"What's going on?!" Morgai growled, grabbing one the younger men by the collar and heaving him closer.

"The prisoners are escaping, sir!" the man stuttered. Morgai snarled and threw the man aside, shoving with renewed energy towards Ondet's tent. The pale-haired elf was standing outside.

"What is going on, Morgai?" Ondet asked softly.

"The prisoners are aparently escaping, sir," Morgai replied with a hasty bow. "If you'll excuse me, I'll see if we can stop them."

"What about that she-elf you told me of earlier?" Ondet asked as Morgai began to hurry off into the chaos of the camp. Morgai froze and turned around.

"You think she...?" Morgai's blood had run cold. What if she had really been toying with him all along? The thought made him furious. Ondet shrugged. "Excuse me." He gave a stiff bow and shoved his way through the chase towards the other end of camp.

Reaching a less congested area of camp, Morgai spotted a group of men milling around and looking as if they had no idea what to do. "You!" he barked at them. They jumped to attention. "With me. When we reach the forest, fan out and search for any sign of elves or horses. I want them found!" He continued on his way, the men falling in behind him.

Reaching the forest, they did as they were told, and Morgai stalked through the underbrush until he found the clearing he was to meet Neth in.

"Neth!" he cried, scanning the treetops angrily for any sign of her.

----------

"I only saw you bursting from the house and wondered what had gotten into you," Aiden replied. "No, I don't always listen behind bushes, I stopped that habit a while ago." He listened as Arianna explained her purpose.

"You thought that you could call them back, didn't you?" Aiden asked. "I wish you good luck. We do need any help we could get, and maybe they could help us." Aiden shrugged and turned around. "I'll leave you two to your questions." He walked back to the courtyard.

((Guh... will edit if I need to.))
EDIT: Oops. Pulled a stupid.

[Edited on 6/6/06 by Nimeneth]
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2006 07:47
Twisting sharply, Glyndr turned to face the sound behind him, very aware that he still held Narmion and could not easily use his blades.
The elf Captain sighed in relief, never had he been so pleased to see the black horse.

“Narmion”, Glyndr placed his hand on his friend’s arm, as he secured the ellon to Diablo’s harness, their dark heads almost touching as the Captain listened close, to catch the weak voice that pleaded with him.

“ Narmion, you must go with Diablo for now, he can bear you and Rolan away from here quicker and more safely than I can”.
Glyndr looked at Narmion, an unreadable look in his still seemingly indigo hued eyes.
“My friend, once we are away from here, I will carry you with me on Sylstar , you shall ride with me back to Imladris”. He paused, and took a deep breath. “Go with Diablo now, we shall follow”.

The Captain watched as the stallion left the tent, and aided by a slap on the rump flew to deliver Rolan and Narmion to safety.

“HOLD!”
Glyndr turned as sharply, and cursed as viciously as Arato as he realised that things had just gone terribly wrong.

“Now what?”

Glyndr turned to Arato , Eadoin and Hanni,”Now”, he growled, a cold command in his voice, “ We leave this god forsaken den of evil as fast as we can. Run like you have never run before”.

The Captain made sure that the others were following, then moved swiftly towards where they had left Bellas on watch. He hoped the smith had seen what had happened, and had not yet readied the horses, they were being followed too closely, their only chance now was to take cover, and hope that they would not be discovered.
The horses too must stay hidden.

“Follow me”, the Captain hissed as he leapt a fallen log and moved easily into the undergrowth, “We cannot hope to reach the horses without being caught” he called back quietly, “ Again secrecy must be our weapon”.
Glyndr was acutely aware that the tracking enemy were very close now the thought concerned him greatly.

Always looking back to see that the others were close behind him, Glyndr led them deeper into the forest, where the undergrowth afforded them more cover.
“Keep hidden, and silence, until Valar willing the danger is past, Wait for my signal before we move”, he commanded.

The Captain looked at the others with an intense blue stare, “If any of you should be discovered, I will promise you I shall be there, and do all that I can to help”.
The look became deeper., “I do not expect any of you to do the same, the choice is yours alone. Survival is what counts. Now hide”.

OOC…as usual , I will edit /delete if necessary !

otterling
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2006 08:09
((OOC: Sorry if this isn't up to my usual par, but I had alot of fun writing it. ))

As Hanni had stood staring at the scene of carnage before her, the tent suddenly erupted into chaos. A dark blur moved in from seemingly no where, it’s full weight slamming into her side and tossing the dwarf over onto her back. Between the weight of the armor and the poor fit of it, Hanni was at a great disadvantage as she struggled briefly with her attacker and thoughts of dying in the tent, the blood stained mats beneath her head, flashed through her mind with a frightening intensity. The struggle ended abruptly however as the figure astride her stopped its movements, the dagger still poised above her head, and Hanni managed, albeit with difficulty, to peer through the visor at him. There sat Glyndr, the cursed ice captain, who was looking at her with the same incredulous expression on his face as Hanni had, though hers was hidden behind twisted and rusty iron.

Hanni growled and pushed at his chest, “Aye, and had you bothered to get armor that I could actually wear, it would have been you that was almost killed, lad!” The words were hollow and they both knew it, but it made Hanni feel better to say it as she hated the fact she had been so caught off-guard. All thoughts of her own pride were lost quickly enough however, as she watched the pain flicker across the normally stoic captain’s features. The vision before him would have made anyone blanch, but Hanni could not imagine what it would be like had she actually known these people. Hanni made to sit up and realized much to her dismay, that the tight fit of the armor had greatly reduced her mobility and thus she found her self in a situation normally reserved for turtles and tavern wenches with low morals. She was stuck on her back and she couldn’t seem to get up. Hanni struggled to the left, then to the right, rocking back and forth in the hope of gaining enough momentum to roll over and each twisting of her body was punctuated with a grunt and a few choice curses.

“ Dwarf” he looked up briefly at Hanni , “Tell Eadoin outside, to signal the smith to get our horses ready, “We have no diversion now that you are here, No matter , we will take our chances, Diablo is out there , he will take the prisoners to safety once we are outside, I know it”.

Hanni bit her tongue to hold back any snide remarks that were struggling to burst forth, the only thing which held them at bay being the crumpled moaning form in the captain’s arms. She had been given little choice concerning their distraction and her placement in the tent. If the captain wanted a distraction, a distraction he would get. After a bit more struggling Hanni reached out one gloved hand and managed to latch onto the edge of the bed. She pulled herself back into a sitting position just in time to see the large black demon horse burst into the tent, a motion which startled the poor dwarf enough to send her toppling back over with an ignoble cry. Hanni twisted and wrenched a bit more and, after much grumbling and the removal of half the bedclothes, she managed to pull herself back up and then, at last, she made it to her feet. The horse was getting the form of the young boy strapped to his saddle and Hanni rushed to the front flap of the tent. She poked her head out carefully and glanced about; the guards who had been previously standing at attention were now conspicuously absent and Hanni could only guess that the bodies would turn up eventually, more than likely with a few elven blade marks on their throats.

Hanni squinted through the small gaps in her helm and eventually spotted Bellas secreted away in the shade of a tree on the edge of camp. She waved frantically in his direction and picked up a few stones, tossing them away from the tent in a mimicry of what she wanted him to do. Her motions drew the attention of three other orcs who began to close in on the tent, their heads cocked at various angles as they tried to understand the strange behavior of their fellow soldier. Their confusion turned to terror as the large black form of Diablo erupted from the tent behind Hanni. His sharp hooves flashed out into the night air and in an instant, one of the unfortunate beasts was dead on the ground. The other two tried to flee but were cut down by Diablo before they made it very far. The horse looked rather pleased with itself as it came bounding back over to the tent just in time to meet Glyndr and Arato. Glyndr was still holding the limp form of the wounded elf and Hanni shuddered once more at the sight. From somewhere behind them, a cry rang out in the camp, a warning to everyone that the rescue party had been sighted.

“HOLD!” he bellowed, his lips curling into a snarl as he caught sight of two men, one unmistakable elf and that blasted horse, making off with the prisoners!

Hanni shook her head in bemusement, “Does he really think that’ll work?” She turned back to the captain and nodded towards the woods where Diablo and Eadoin were even now disappearing. “Flee master elf, I’ll get ye your distraction yet!” With that, Hanni disappeared into the swarm of orcs heading in her direction, glad suddenly of the armor she was wearing. She waded through the masses of drunken bodies, most of whom couldn’t find their own rumps much less their swords in their current state, and only a few curious stares were cast her way as she went in the opposite direction of the commotion around Di’shan’s tent. Hanni wasn’t quite sure yet where she was going, but she eventually found herself face to chest with the last of the horses left in the camp. She hadn’t been able to stop some of them men from mounting up and riding after the rescue team, but she could certainly stop the rest. The horses snorted nervously before her and shied away as the dwarf approached, “whoa now…easy beastie…” A large grey mare stared at her with obvious mistrust and its ears flattened down against its head at her approach. Hanni tugged at the gate which penned in the animals and after a few moments, during which she glanced around nervously several times to be sure her actions weren’t attracting attention, the opening gave way and swung wide.

The horses snorted and reared away from the sudden invasion of their paddock by this strange portly orc and Hanni grimaced under her helmet. The beasts were making far too much noise. It was then that the thought occurred to her…let them make noise. Let them make all the noise in the world. For once, Hanni’s extreme dislike of the creatures was going to come in handy. “That’s it ya ugly brutes! Scream yer heads off!” Hanni clanked, clattered, and waved her arms as much as she could until the shrill screams of the frightened horses echoed throughout the camp. The first of the animals bolted past her in a bid for freedom, followed closely by the rest of the small herd. They slammed past the open gate and tore off through the camp in fear of the loud, angry ball of metal on their heels. The horses leapt over fires, trampled several orcs, and just generally wreaked havoc on the camp in their struggle to get as far away as possible. Hanni chuckled lightly to herself until she realized she was now standing alone and obvious in the middle of the empty paddock. She huffed and waddled as fast as her little legs would carry her towards the safety of the darkness on the edge of camp, though now she was all the way on the opposite side from the elven city and the rest of the rescue party. Hanni sighed. Well, she had to make it to the other side somehow, might as well make the trip useful.

As Hanni made her way around to the other side of the camp, she took a branch out of the nearest fire and walked right up to the closest tent she could find. Without any hesitation, Hanni lit the tent ablaze and then dropped the torch and rushed off to another camp fire. The orcs around her raced about in a frantic chaos as they tried to put out the flames, only to discover that the next tent in line had mysteriously lit itself in much the same manner. Never once did they suspect that the round little orc in their midst was counteracting all their hard work. This continued on as Hanni made her way across the camp. At one point an orc came running up to her screaming in its own language as it tried to get her help with handling the blaze, but Hanni, not speaking orc, merely screamed and grunted right back at it. The confused creature paused for a moment, then, assuming its companion was highly drunk, it simply turned and rushed off again. Hanni was almost enjoying herself at this moment and she took delight in waddling up behind a few orcs and then smacking one in the rump with her spiked gauntlet. The creature yelped and turned on the hapless orc beside it in a fury. The two began a raucous fight and Hanni, chuckling behind her helm all the while, trotted off to cause more mischief.
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2006 10:50
Neth could see much better from her higher vantage point, and she could see several figures, including a horse, rushing out of an area not far from where she was. They were followed by a mass of shapes from throughout the camp, and as her eyes searched in the darkness, she spotted a familiar face in some torchlight, moving in the opposite direction from where everyone else was moving.

Morgai.

A mass of bodies fell in step behind him and then fanned out as they reached the trees. She lost sight of Morgai for several minutes, and then he appeared in the clearing beneath her.

"Neth!" he cried, scanning the treetops angrily for any sign of her.

She moved silently, so as not to attract any attention from the armed men in the surrounding forest, and came down lightly on the branch she had sat on earlier while talking to him. She could see his face more clearly now, and he did not look happy.

Neth dropped down out of the tree and came around it, saying softly, "I'm here, Morgai. What is going on? I heard the commotion and climbed higher in the tree to see what was happening, but I couldn't see much."

Her hands were held out to her sides, away from her two remaining weapons. Judging from the look on Morgai's face, being anything less than submissive right now would probably get her killed. She stepped toward him and said, "I have no other weapons, if that is what you are thinking." She turned slowly in a circle and showed him her back and then dropped to her knees in front of him. "Morgai, what has happened? Why do you look angry with me?"
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2006 10:42
Dirk heard the frightened calls of the horses and it roused him like no call from a soldier ever could. He leapt up and was out of the tent before he'd even properly opened his eyes. The horses were screaming in panic and rushing all around while flames danced in the air. Dirk swore vividly. This was not good. He flung himself into the chaos, stumbling over fallen orc bodies and charred bits of tents. The horses - they were still shrieking in fear, and more of them were pounding through the camp. Somewhere in the back of his head Dirk protested. No one ever let the horses out of the string!

It was like something out of nightmares when a tent near him went up in flames. The tongues of fire licked hungrily at the tent and dozens of orcs spilled out of it all at once. They'd probably been hiding there. A colt caught too near the blaze fell over himself trying to back pedal away from the sudden inferno. Dirk shoved a couple of orcs out of his way in an effort to get to the frightened youngster. His efforts were in vain. The colt went down under the press of bodies coming from all over. Dirk heard yells and it took him a moment to realize it was him yelling, defying the reality that one of his beloved horses had just died.

The other horses were still running around. Dirk angrily bushed tears out of his eys and tried to scream above the din of rusty armor and fearful hoots of the orcs. He wasn't sure he'd been heard until a pair of mares crashed through to him, the whites of their eyes showing and fire reflected in their dark pupils. The Rohirrim placed a hand on each of their necks and whispered to them, begging for calm. They listened - barely. He knew he wouldn't be able to hold such calmness over them for long so he sent them off into the woods, telling them to wait for him. He would come. They complied willingly and Dirk repeated the event over and over with the escaped horses that he could find. The ones that were alive. He discovered more horses trampled or burned and the fires that burned in his eyes were not entirely reflections of the tents still burning around him.

He wanted to hurt something for all the horses that had been hurt in this madness. As an orc scrambled by, Dirk hit it with a vicious backhand. It dropped right away. It made him feel better. But just a little.

After the third try, Ari admitted defeat. "I guess whoever wrote this either forgot something or they're right in saying that reincarnation is just man's myth." She sighed. "I do wish it might have worked, though..."

It was midday. Rynan had fallen asleep at his post, looking out over the fields. He awoke to the feel of the earth vibrating slightly and looked up to see a horse and rider fast approaching. Rynan put a hand up to his eyes to block the sun and squinted at the distant figure. He didn't recognize him. For a moment, his heart lept with joy at the thought that this may be the father he'd always dreamed would return. Then his cynicism returned. Probably just another trader coming. Either way, he'd have to let his mother know. So Rynan ran to the house with his news of a rider - a black-haired rider with caramel skin.
<< First34567Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email