Register

<< First56789
Author Topic:
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Ever After (Keeper!)
on: June 22, 2006 05:02
Glyndr was lost in a world of contentment.
He felt happiness he had only ever felt once before when Lalaith had become his wife, now he was to become a father of two new lives. That happiness grew.

The Captain’s frozen heart had thawed a little more.

His temper had grown to its usual fiery fury when his quiet time with Lalaith was shattered with the yelling of some idiot with a death wish.

Glyndr cursed something unintelligible as untwined himself from Lalaith, and kissed her forehead softly. He moved swiftly to the door, murder in
his eyes.

“WHAT!” Glyndr pulled open the door sharply and fixed the poor messenger to the spot with an ice dagger glare .

“C…Captain…the dwarf..um…” the messenger stared with wide scared rabbit eyes.

“ What of the dwarf?” Glyndr leant on the door frame, his annoyance at being disturbed barely hidden. “This had better be good news” his eyes narrowed threateningly.

“The dwarf is back” the messenger gabbled quickly then ran even quicker , leaving a bemused Glyndr staring after him.

The Captain went back to Lalaith, he smiled as he pulled her to him in a warm embrace, “My love, it appears the dwarf has returned, I must go to see him..her…it? later”, he said with relief in his voice, “But I must still send Telryn to find Neth”, the Captain frowned as he remembered seeing her taken into that den of evil.

“I would lead a group out myself, but there is so much I have to do here in Imladris, defences, plans, training what few warriors I have left in the ranks” the Captain said, a deep regret tingeing his voice.
He would have wanted nothing more than to go back to find Neth, and destroy a few more of those vile monsters that inhabited that hellhole of a camp.

Glyndr kissed Lalaith again, then pulled on a clean tunic before going to the door, “My love,” he said quietly, a sadness in his voice, “I have something I must do, I would give anything not to have to do this” he paused, and took a deep breath, he stared at his hand still on the door handle .

“I will not be long”.

Glyndr opened the door, and left for the healing houses. To find Narmion.

The Captain spoke briefly to the healer then made his way quietly to where the healer had told him he would find Narmion.

Glyndr moved to sit beside his friend’s bed, The Captain felt sick. He hated this. He hated himself for doing it.

“Narmion”, he said , his voice a cool calm that belied how he felt inside, he wondered if indeed Narmion was awake..He continued anyway.

“Narmion, you and I have been through much together, we have fought side by side against enemy ranks that way outnumbered us..We have seen much evil , much pain you and I my friend”.
The Captain paused, and was silent for a moment, “Narmion, It was you who I trusted with my fears on the eve of my wedding, you who I would trust with my life. Narmion, all this may seem like I am trying to gloss over what I am about to say..well maybe I am..Narmion, I must know everything that happened while you and Rolan were kept prisoner..Narmion…what do the enemy know of Imladris? What do they know of our defences?”

The Captain swallowed hard, and stared at a spider scuttling across the floor.
He waited for his friend to answer.

[Edited on 22/6/2006 by elflyn]
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 23, 2006 03:54
“My love”, Glyndr said softly , his voice trembling as much as he was .
He held her close, her head resting on his chest, “You have given me the most precious gift I should ever hope for, you have given me the gift of two new lives”.

“Thank you” he whispered as he buried his face in her soft hair, he kissed her neck softly , crystal tears of happiness soaking her hair and running like icicle raindrops down her neck..

Nothing would harm them, Lalaith and the new lives she carried. Glyndr would protect them with his life.

In a while he knew he must go to Narmion. Then to brief the rescue group, after that he must find Arianna and Arato…the Captain needed to discuss the defences for Imaldris …For now ..the outside world could wait.

---@---@---@---@---@---@--@---@---@---@---@

Glyndr’s reaction to her news had thrilled Lalaith. She had known he wanted children, of course, but they’d never really discussed it. She’d been worried that perhaps he would be overwhelmed with the possibility of two new lives, especially with all of the troubles already bearing down on him. He already had so many things to worry about; she’d been anxious about telling him. But when he kissed her all of her anxiety dissolved.

Later she nestled contentedly in his strong arms, half-lost in pleasant dreams of the future she so hoped would come to pass. She knew without a doubt that her Glyndr would be an excellent father… she could just visualize him cooing and doting over the coming elfings, the icy front that everyone else saw completely thawed. The idea made her smile and she sighed, not allowing herself to dwell on anything unpleasant.

Her reverie was rudely interrupted, however, by shouting from outside. As Glyndr mumbled some curse-word or other, kissed her forehead and then went to answer the door she thought of asking him not to go hitting anyone, but didn’t have time to say anything at all.

“WHAT!” Glyndr pulled open the door sharply and fixed the poor messenger to the spot with an ice dagger glare .

“C…Captain…the dwarf..um…” the messenger stared with wide scared rabbit eyes.

“ What of the dwarf?” Glyndr leant on the door frame, his annoyance at being disturbed barely hidden. “This had better be good news” his eyes narrowed threateningly.

“The dwarf is back” the messenger gabbled quickly then ran even quicker , leaving a bemused Glyndr staring after him.

The Captain went back to Lalaith, he smiled as he pulled her to him in a warm embrace, “My love, it appears the dwarf has returned, I must go to see him..her…it? later”, he said with relief in his voice, “But I must still send Telryn to find Neth”, the Captain frowned as he remembered seeing her taken into that den of evil.

“I would lead a group out myself, but there is so much I have to do here in Imladris, defences, plans, training what few warriors I have left in the ranks” the Captain said, a deep regret tingeing his voice.

“It suits me just fine that you’ll remain here,” she said softly, relieved that he wouldn’t be going in search of Neth. She wanted the elleth found, of course… but she didn’t want her husband to leave home again so soon, not for anything. He gave her another kiss which she returned deeply, and then she watched him dress without speaking.

“My love,” he said quietly, a sadness in his voice, “I have something I must do, I would give anything not to have to do this” he paused, and took a deep breath, he stared at his hand still on the door handle .

“I will not be long”.

Glyndr opened the door, and left for the healing houses.

Lalaith sighed again and looked blankly at the door, her thoughts elsewhere. Her most beloved husband hadn’t told her where he was going, but she could guess well enough. He had to speak to Narmion, despite that he and Rolan had only just gotten back hours before. She couldn’t imagine what her two friends had gone through, but she was certain it wasn’t something either of them would be willing to discuss, especially so soon. And she’d seen it in Glyndr’s eyes how much his heart ached that he had to do his duty and bring it up.

After a few more minutes she washed and dressed, wondering if she should wait there for Glyndr to return. In the end she decided that she would… she was anxious to hear what he would have to tell.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Narmion had been dozing fitfully for some time, thanks to whatever medicine the healer had ordered him to take. It was just as well that he slept; aside from being in constant pain, no one had been willing to tell him enough about what state Rolan was in or why none of his friends were coming in to speak to him. Not that he felt like speaking- he still felt ashamed and depressed. And he absolutely hated the pity in the eyes of the healers that tended him. He didn’t like the idea of seeing it in the faces of those he’d fought beside.

Sleep wasn’t all that welcome either, though, for it wasn’t the sweet darkness born from exhaustion that claimed him now; Narmion dreamed of the enemy camp and the horrors of the tormentor’s tent. Eventually he did wake, though, feeling worse than he had before sleeping; and he lay with his eyes closed, his thoughts muddled and tired and the ever-present pain pounding away at his senses. He was aware, though, when someone entered the room. He didn’t look to see who it was, but he knew instantly. It was his Captain and dearest friend, his brother. Glyndr called his name and Narmion shuddered inside. He didn’t want his friend to see him like this.

“Narmion, you and I have been through much together, we have fought side by side against enemy ranks that way outnumbered us..We have seen much evil , much pain you and I my friend”.
The Captain paused, and was silent for a moment, “Narmion, It was you who I trusted with my fears on the eve of my wedding, you who I would trust with my life. Narmion, all this may seem like I am trying to gloss over what I am about to say..well maybe I am..Narmion, I must know everything that happened while you and Rolan were kept prisoner..Narmion…what do the enemy know of Imladris? What do they know of our defences?”

Narmion’s heart had fallen further and further as his friend spoke. Glyndr was beating around the bush, something he *never* did- that elf was the bluntest, most forward person in Imladris. The younger of the two opened his bleary eyes at the final question, looking up at the ceiling listlessly. So, Glyndr knew- how he knew was a mystery, but he’d obviously figured out that someone had broken and given away Imladris’s secrets. But desiring to know everything that had happened, everything that Narmion was trying so hard to forget? He felt his voice stick in his throat as he tried to speak. Swallowing, he turned his head on the pillow to look at his friend, who was looking at the floor. Even Glyndr couldn’t look at him? Was he so ruined by Di’Shan’s tortures or was his friend simply unnerved?

“I am sorry,” Narmion said, his voice weak and raspy and thick with the threat of unbidden tears, “I’ve betrayed you, Glyndr, and everyone else in Imladris. I’m to blame for Rolan’s blindness and sickness, and I will be to blame when the enemy comes to the valley and our home is left in ruins. Me and my pathetic weakness- you should have left me where I was.”

He blinked his tears away furiously, snarling in disgust at himself and closing his eyes again. He didn’t want to go back and retrace the tale, recall his suffering, or even speak at all. He knew that if he wanted to he could simply be silent, refuse to say another word… but of course, Narmion couldn’t do that to his dearest friend. Glyndr’s words were true… they’d been through much together, situations both inane and dangerous. The Captain had risked his life on a perilous rescue… the least that Narmion could do was to tell him what he desired to know.

“My right arm is useless, you know,” he stated dully, and dropped his eyes to look at the wounded limb. Because of the cruel cuts running all the way up there were bandages wrapped from wrist to shoulder, and then the ruined shoulder had been tended as well. He attempted to wiggle his fingers, but only succeeded in making them move a little- the cost was a sharp pain all through the arm that made him cringe. Most of his person was hidden by bandaging, in fact- even the torn flesh on his throat from the leather strip was obscured.

“I shouldn’t have gone on the patrol in the first place… but if I hadn’t, then Rolan would have borne his torment alone.”

He lapsed into a long silence, then glanced at Glyndr, finally meeting his gaze. The emotion in his friend’s eyes was unreadable- but at least it wasn’t pity.

“I do not know how much I remember. You want to know everything, from start to finish?”

Glyndr did, of course. After a drink of water the liberated elf began, starting in his raw voice with when he’d abandoned the battle against orcs to try and save Rolan, and had only ended up being taken prisoner himself. As he spoke his thoughts felt disconnected and far away- almost as if it were someone else speaking besides himself. He went on, though… as well as he could remember he described the camp, chilling when he mentioned the hateful elf who had seemed to be in charge. In a softer, halting voice he told of what had happened within the awful tent, his face noticeably paler and his wet eyes unable to meet his friend’s as he did so. The tears he couldn’t help when he recounted the evils done to Rolan, and the part he’d played in it all. The Questioning that Di’Shan had given him was the most blurred memory, and he admitted shamefully that he couldn’t remember everything that he’d cried out during those agonizing hours. What he did recall was telling the condition of Elrond’s sons, that Arianna was in charge, and some other bits of information concerning the defenses that should never have left Imladris at all.

“I’m truly sorry, Gylndr” Narmion said quietly once he’d ended with himself being unable to use Di’Shan’s “merciful” dagger, and he didn’t say anything else. He didn’t ask forgiveness or enquire as to what was happening everywhere else. No complaint came from his lips. He’d done as he’d been asked- he’d told his friend what had happened in full. Now all he wanted to do was be left alone in silence, out of sight, to try again escaping his pain and guilt.

-------------------------------------------------

Bellas nodded at Istale as she rushed off, inwardly relieved to hear that Glyndr was back. When news came that Hanni was not the elf became more worried.

Although he was instructed to rest after his wound had been tended he went to his smithy- the one place where he could find comfort. His arm was stinging too badly for him to do any work, but he checked over the things he’d been working on and made note of what still needed doing. In exasperation he realized that Glyndr *still* hadn’t sent him the tally. When he asked about where the Captain was, though, he was told that Glyndr was with his wife. Bellas decided the tally could certainly wait- no one in his right mind would go bothering Glyndr while he was spending time with Lalaith, not unless it was urgent.

He also heard that volunteers were being asked for to join in another rescue mission- for Neth. Without hesitation the smith found Telyrn and insisted that he was going. He just couldn’t stand the thought of his dear friend undergoing the same evils that had befallen Narmion and Rolan.

He was sitting in the smithy later in the day and writing in his small note-book (which served as a record-book of sorts) when he heard a familiar voice that was tired and yet full of anger ringing in the courtyard.

“BELLAS!! Get me my hammer!!”

The elf jumped to his feet, his first thought that Hanni was back, and alive- then he winced, realizing he’d forgotten all about her precious weapon in the flurry of activity once their rescue had been discovered. Biting his lip (certain that she’d be ready and willing to attack his knees with whatever weapon was available) he went outside. There was a moment of fear when he saw Aiden and a healer standing by the dwarf, who lay unmoving on the ground.

"Sleeping," he declared. "Not sure how badly the dwarf was injured. I figured it was best for one of you to see to the dwarf, as there could be a chance the dwarf's injured more than it appears." He rose and allowed the healer to take his place before heading back to see Diablo again.

Bellas walked up and kneeled beside the healer, sharing a glance with him.
“Need help getting her to a bed?” he offered, inwardly amused by the elf’s befuddled expression. The healer nodded wordlessly, and calling on his strength (which was waning) he and the healer, plus another elf who had been passing by, managed to carry the still-unconcious Hannalisa to the halls of healing, and to a bed.

They were all three winded, of course, and as the healer began checking Hanni over (with the help of another elf) Bellas excused himself. He did ask, however, that he be called as soon as she should wake, because he definitely had some heavy explaining to do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delvan woke in a terrible mood. He hadn’t rested and he ached everywhere… grumbling and mumbling he got up and got dressed without bothering to bathe. Still cursing the loss of his flask (the most expensive thing he owned!) he trudged out of his tent to get some breakfast. His eyes narrowed when he saw Morgai eating with the golden-haired elleth. So what, was she one of ‘theirs’ now? Growling inwardly he said nothing, but sat and ate in silence.

Once they got their breakfast sorted out, Neth went to retrieve something to drink for herself and Morgai, and as she turned to return to his side, she found the way blocked by a man who obviously was still drunk from the night before. He made a grab for her, and she punched him in the face, and the resulting sound caused several others to turn and look at them.

When the man spun around from the force of the punch, Neth kicked him in the kidneys and sent him to his knees, and then brought her dagger to rest against his throat. "Maybe you'll think twice before trying to paw me again," she hissed. Then she smiled and said, "Too late." She drew the blade across and let the man drop dead at her feet.

She walked back over to where Morgai was and said softly, "Here you go," handing him his goblet. She sat down and resumed eating as if nothing had just happened.

Delvan was more annoyed than ever. It didn’t matter that he killed his own men himself when he felt like it- this was a woman who had shown up amid chaos that left their camp half-ruined. She had no business even eating with them! He watched the way that Morgai and the elleth acted toward eachother. It was subtle, but he could see ‘something’ between them- and it made him sneer. Morgai was weaker than he’d thought!

When the two of them had gotten up and were heading for Morgai’s tent, Delvan followed, determined to find out why she was here. And of course, the chance to jab at his “comrade” was always welcome.
“Morgai!” he called, keeping one hand (as always) on the hilt of his sword as he approached, “Good morning… I trust you slept well?”
He blatantly ignored Neth for now, glaring at the dark-haired man before him.
“And where were you last night, while I was trying to stop the fools who entered our camp? Out making friends, I see?”
He glanced at her then, the expression on his face one of disdain. For a moment he studied her, letting his eyes rake over her from head to toe before looking back to Morgai.
“You truly are a fool, aren’t you?”

(ooc: Well, I started it at work and finished this morning while half-asleep… forgive me if its overly-dramatic or confusing o_o I’ll edit if I need to! )
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2006 05:44
((Oooh, Bellas is in trouble when Hanni wakes up!))

Morgai happened to look up just as one of the men, apparently still drunk, grabbed for Neth. His hand went instinctively to the dagger at the back of his belt, but he soon discovered it was an unneeded gesture. He watched in admiration as she took him down with very little thought. He took the goblet she handed to him as she sat down.

"Impressive," Morgai whispered to her, returning his attention to his foot. He would have added 'my dear' or something of the sort, but Delvan was watching them. The Gondorian inwardly sighed. Delvan would probably try something later.

His hunch was correct. As Morgai and Neth were heading back towards Morgai's tent, Delvan followed them. Morgai stopped and turned around when the other man called his name.

"I did not, but thank you for asking," Morgai replied to Delvan's question of how he slept. "And I'll have you know that I was moving on orders from Lord Ondet last night. I was going to go after them, but he reminded me of her, whom I had told him of earlier." He turned around again, taking Neth by the arm to steer her away from Delvan.

“You truly are a fool, aren’t you?”

That stopped Morgai dead in his tracks. He stiffened in indignation and slowly turned to face Delvan, eyes hard.

"A fool?" Morgai asked softly. "You think I am a fool? Might I have the reason why you think so?"
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2006 07:14
Neth spotted the man staring at her with utter disdain, but she chose not to say anything. She had expected not to be liked or trusted by the men. She didn't much care either way. The only one that she really cared about the opinion of was Morgai, but having Ondet trust her enough to not demand she be kept in chains was reassuring.

They headed back to Morgai's tent when the other man called to him. He ignored her at first, but then his eyes travelled over her in a not so subtle display, and she could feel her anger rising. Morgai had remained calm, until the man had called him a fool.

Now they stood, glaring at each other, Morgai holding tightly to Neth's arm.

She stood there, trembling slightly. She wantd to bury her dagger in the throat of the man who had called Morgai a fool, wanted to slash him in half with her sword and leave him gasping in pain on the ground, to slowly bleed out and die.

*Kill him...kill him...kill him...killhimkillhimkillhimkillhim* the voices in her head began their chant and she began inching her hand slowly toward her dagger.
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2006 05:24
“Betrayed”.

The word cut a deep wound in Glyndr’s soul. Narmion had spoken that word he dreaded.
The Captain looked up sharply from the spider to Narmion. How could he blame his friend?
Glyndr felt acutely the turmoil and pain Narmion felt, both in mind and body.

The Elf Captain listened in silence, his fears growing stronger, and his heart sadder as Narmion told him everything.
Everything he did, and did not want to hear.

Anger grew to vengeful hatred as Narmion spoke of the torture he and Rolan had to endure.
He clenched a many ringed fist, imagining that it choked the life from those that inflicted such torture on his friends, those creatures did not deserve life!

“A vengeful elf?”, Glyndr was interested. Very interested.
So, an Elf sought to destroy his own kind? Well, Glyndr would be ready…ready to meet this so called Elf….face to face ..the ice Captain welcomed it.

“Narmion”, Glyndr took a deep breath, so many thoughts raced through his Captain’s mind, “Narmion, do not blame yourself, What else could you have done?. Even the strongest of us cannot withstand the cruel captivity of our souls”.

Glyndr paused, he saw too much in Narmion..too much pain, anguish and regret.
Would they all feel the same anguish? When the attack came?

“We know where we stand now, What we must prepare ourselves to face”.
Glyndr took Narmion’s face in both his hands, ice blue eyes looked deep into his.
“Narmion, my friend, none of us could have borne what you endured”.

He paused again , as if thinking, “ Betrayal is such a hard, ugly, final word”.

Glyndr seemed to snap back from his thoughts, he smiled at his friend, “ I would rather have you here, alive, than cold and dead in that unspeakable den of evil”.

The Captain stood, and nodded a bow with a smile to his dear friend, “Rest now, my friend, and do not fear my anger at what you see to be a betrayal. I shall need you with me in battle before long”.

Glyndr left the room, deep in thought…the future was in their hands now, those that remained in Imladris.
The Captain knew he had to work fast now. The enemy knew too much.
He must find Arianna and Arato , plans must be put in place.

Telryn grinned as he placed the final full stop on the list of volunteers.
Bellas had completed his group perfectly. All Telryn needed now was his Captain –god’s approval.
Glyndr had checked with the healers on Rolan’s condition, and was pleased to find that the he/she dwarf was now settled in the house of healing.
Glyndr would return to speak with Hanni soon, for now he needed to go to the watchroom. The patrol would be leaving soon.

“Telryn”, the Captain appeared in the doorway, a raven apparition in an unreadable mood. “Telryn, do you have the list?”

“Yes Captain” the young soldier handed his god the parchment in a shaking hand, “Please Valar let it be alright” he prayed silently.

Glyndr studied the list carefully, “Bellas” he said coldly, “ The smith should not undertake another patrol so soon”.

“B…but” Telryn swallowed hard and took courage, “ If he does not join the group..I have no one else..and..and” he dared, “He does have knowledge of the camp” he added expecting his head to be bitten from his body.

Glyndr was silent for a moment, “ Yes, that makes sense” he said as he threw the parchment back onto the table. “Rally the group in five minutes”.

Telryn sighed, he relaxed visbly as he went to rally the volunteers.

The Captain surveyed those few before him, he briefed them thoroughly on what to expect, what to do and what was needed to be achieved. Neth’s rescue.

“I want no heroics, get in there, get her , get out. No risks. Telryn is your leader, my trust is in him..obey his every command as you would mine” Glyndr nodded a bow. “May the Valar be with you”.

Glyndr went back to his chambers, to his Lalaith.
He entered the room quietly, and sat at the table, his head in his hands.
“Lalaith”, he said so softly, “ I want you to promise me something.

He looked up at her through a curtain of raven hair, “ Promise me, that if ever Imladris is threatened, and I am not with you, take the Palomino….flee this place to the cave above the waterfall, I shall find you there”

Glyndr ran his hands through his hair, his eyes fixed on his beloved wife, “Do not stay here, however loyal to Imladris you are, Go, keep yourself, and those so precious, innocent new lives safe for me, and for the future of our race”.

Telryn sat at the head of the group , resplendent in the uniform of a section leader.

He felt such pride, yet such apprehension, His Captain –god had given him his trust.
Telryn would not fail his Captain, or Imladris, or his race.

“We ride out” he commanded in a voice much more confidant than he felt.
Perhaps one day he would lead a group dressed in the uniform of a Captain.
Telryn had his dreams, and dreams could come true.
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 24, 2006 07:03
((sorry... not much going on here))

Amata walked slowly down the corridor to the healing wards. Stopping outside the door, she stood there for about twenty minutes before she dared to stop one of the passing elves and asked if she could enter. "I'll be quiet," she promised. She was finally admitted, and she sidled silently into the room in which Narmion lay. Her eyes rested on him, but she said nothing. She found a chair, and sat down. Narmion seemed to be asleep, and Amata found her own eyes feeling heavy, but she kept vigil, watching his chest rise and fall slowly as he breathed. Watching in silence, occasionally chewing the end of her plait absent-mindedly. She didn't know why she was here or what she hoped to gain from it, but she just didn't want Narmion to be left alone like this.

Faeringil stood in the courtyard and watched the second resuce party depart. When he had stared at the same spot on the horizon for about ten minutes straight, he realised what he was doing, and pulled himself together. His feet automatically turned to walk back to the library, but he stopped himself.

((um... I ran out of time.. hopefully I'll get to write a bit more for Fae next time >_< ))

[Edited on 24/6/2006 by anduril269]
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 27, 2006 07:03
Narmion”, Glyndr took a deep breath, so many thoughts raced through his Captain’s mind, “Narmion, do not blame yourself, What else could you have done?. Even the strongest of us cannot withstand the cruel captivity of our souls”.

Glyndr paused, he saw too much in Narmion..too much pain, anguish and regret.
Would they all feel the same anguish? When the attack came?

“We know where we stand now, What we must prepare ourselves to face”.
Glyndr took Narmion’s face in both his hands, ice blue eyes looked deep into his.
“Narmion, my friend, none of us could have borne what you endured”.

He paused again , as if thinking, “ Betrayal is such a hard, ugly, final word”.

Glyndr seemed to snap back from his thoughts, he smiled at his friend, “ I would rather have you here, alive, than cold and dead in that unspeakable den of evil”.

The Captain stood, and nodded a bow with a smile to his dear friend, “Rest now, my friend, and do not fear my anger at what you see to be a betrayal. I shall need you with me in battle before long”.

Narmion watched Glyndr leave the room with an expressionless face. The Captain wasn’t angry. No, he hadn’t been angry at all- he’d only assured the tormented elf that none of it was his fault… he’d only tried to offer comfort. “Don’t blame yourself,” he’d said, but how could Narmion do anything else? He’d wanted to be yelled at, cursed at, at least glared at- something for what he’d done. Although he appreciated (deeply) Glyndr’s words it was difficult to believe them. Especially his parting ones- the wounded elf didn’t know how soon he would be able to use a sword, or if he’d have the stomach to do so.

A few minutes later a healer came in with a draught of medicine meant to ease his pain- which he needed- and after he’d swallowed it he quickly fell into a light but welcome sleep.

When he woke again, not too much later, his pain was lessened. More importantly, he was aware of someone in the room again. Looking, he blinked in surprise and wondered if he were really awake at all, for it was Amata sitting beside his sickbed! He could remember well when she’d left Imladris… he’d not wanted to see her go, and he’d watched hopefully for her return that had never come. He’d feared her dead or hurt, or perhaps just no longer wanting to dwell in the elven home… but here she was, her deep eyes full of several emotions that he couldn’t read.

For a moment he just looked at her, watching her as she chewed on her braid and looked at him in silence. When she didn’t vanish in wisps of smoke he decided he wasn’t dreaming, and the first real smile that had touched his lips in what felt ages appeared on his face. He hadn’t admitted it- even to himself- but he’d missed her terribly.

“Amata,” he said quietly, wishing his blasted arms didn’t hurt so badly, so he could reach out to her, “It cheers my heart to see you again. When did you return to the valley?”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lalaith had found something to do- which was working on the beginnings of a baby blanket- when her Gylndr returned. He came in without speaking and sat down at the table, resting his head in his hands as if weary. Concerned, the elleth laid aside her work and stood, walking over to stand next to him.

“Glyndr…?” she asked softly and anxiously.

“Lalaith”, he said so softly, “ I want you to promise me something.

He looked up at her through a curtain of raven hair, “ Promise me, that if ever Imladris is threatened, and I am not with you, take the Palomino….flee this place to the cave above the waterfall, I shall find you there”

Glyndr ran his hands through his hair, his eyes fixed on his beloved wife, “Do not stay here, however loyal to Imladris you are, Go, keep yourself, and those so precious, innocent new lives safe for me, and for the future of our race”.

Lalaith swallowed, realizing that the possibility of what he said happening was high. The idea of leaving Imladris in peril – of leaving her husband in peril- was not appealing… but he was right. She had two other lives to think about now… her first job was to protect them.

“I will do this thing you ask,” she said, slipping behind him and leaning over to rest her chin on his shoulder. Her arms went around him as she hugged him from behind, her golden hair spilling over her shoulders. She kissed his cheek and sighed, resting her head against his.
“Your children will be born, my dearest love, and they will know of their father whether he is there to see them or not. They will grow and have long, full lives no matter where I must go to raise them… and I will tell them how their father, no matter what he appeared to everyone else, was always an angel to me.”

Using her fingers she turned his face toward hers and smiled into the eyes she so adored, caressing his cheek.
“You are the light of my life, Glyndr,” she said, “Remember that when things become dark.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That stopped Morgai dead in his tracks. He stiffened in indignation and slowly turned to face Delvan, eyes hard.

"A fool?" Morgai asked softly. "You think I am a fool? Might I have the reason why you think so?"

Delvan snickered and shook his head.
“Many more than one reason, my ‘friend’, and keeping this pretty thing with you not the least. Maybe she had something to do with our prisoners being stolen, no matter what lies she’s used to convince you otherwise. I’d expect you to believe them…”

He stepped back a pace to admire her again, truly thinking it a pity that he hadn’t found her first- she was a lovely thing, obviously elven now that he saw her up close. His eyes caught sight of her hands going to her belt and he snarled, stepping back another pace and whipping out his sword- not caring that it drew ‘looks’ from those standing around. He was prepared to cut the elleth’s head from her shoulders if she tried anything… but he was suddenly aware of Ondet standing not far off, watching without expression. Grumbling, he sheathed his blade and pointed a finger at Morgai.

“Keep your kitten on a leash, Morgai, or you won’t keep her long!”

Turning his back he stalked off, going to find his own ‘second’ in command of sorts to begin discussing battle-plans. His mind was elsewhere, though- he already disliked the elleth, and even more that she’d taken up with Morgai- but she was attractive. He wondered if there were any way for him to convince her to take up with him instead… though he was certain he didn’t trust her one little bit.
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2006 03:06
Glyndr held tightly to his Lalaith’s hand as she gave him her promise, her gold-bright hair cascading over his shoulder blended with his dark raven.
Light and darkness as one.

The Captain knew that she would do anything to protect their two new lives, as a mother would, even with her life.
As he would protect his family with his own.

Glyndr felt a cold sickness deep inside, a spark of a fear growing, as he thought of the very real darkness that could shape their future. Changing it forever.
A future without his Lalaith and the precious elflings he so much wanted.

What if he were killed? What would Lalaith do? Would she fade? No, he thought , she would be strong for their children, She had to be.
What if she were lost? And he could not find her?

So many thoughts crowded his mind; he closed his eyes and let her closeness be all that he needed and banished such dark thoughts from his mind.

“You are the light of my life”.
Glyndr smiled at her words, a soft smile, yet one that had meaning, “ Lalaith, I shall carry a spark of your own warm light in my heart. It will stay with me forever, and never fade no matter how dark our world becomes”.

The Captain looked towards the beginnings of the blanket she was working on, the smile grew, “ We have so much to live for now my love”.

Glyndr stood slowly and turned to face her, “ Come Lalaith walk with me ,” he stroked a lock of hair back from her face and kissed her, “I must go to find how the dwarf creature is, and then to find Arato and Arianna, we must begin to make plans”.

The elf Captain paused, with a slight frown, “ I wonder how Section Leader Telryn is coping?” The frown became deeper.
“If he does not return with Neth then I will personally nail him to the watchroom door by his left ear”.

Telryn rode at the head of the group nervous, yet proud.
“Ouch!” he rubbed at his left ear, suddenly it felt as if someone had driven a nail through it, the elf looked puzzled for a moment, then shook his head, “Imagination” he tried to convince himself.

“We take the western road at the next fork” he called back, “After that we take the less travelled paths, We move swiftly, yet in silence”.

Telryn looked back along the riders, trying to find Bellas, “Bellas, once we reach the woodland, I need you to be our guide…Remember the Captain’s orders, we search for Neth, No heroics, just get her and get out”.

Telryn turned back to the road ahead; He rubbed again at his ear, “Imagination?”

Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2006 04:53
((Hey, where's Sakhar? He disappeared!))

“Many more than one reason, my ‘friend’, and keeping this pretty thing with you not the least. Maybe she had something to do with our prisoners being stolen, no matter what lies she’s used to convince you otherwise. I’d expect you to believe them…”

KillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillKILL! the animalistic part of Morgai's brain chanted. His fingers twitched and almost of its own accord, his hand moved slowly towards his cloak. With a great show of willpower, he changed the direction of his hand, wrapping one arm around Neth's waist and holding her wrist away from her dagger with his other. Any other time, he would have let her do as she wished, but Ondet was watching, and it wouldn't do her any good.

"She was as surprised as any of us, my 'friend'," Morgai sneered back, gently pulling Neth away from Delvan, step by baby step. "And she wouldn't have said anything we could use against her if she were actually involved." He kept moving slowly away from Delvan as he spoke.

"And to that I say it would be best for you to keep your temper on a leash, because if it continues to run wild as it does, you'll find yourself missing your head." Delvan walked away. Morgai nodded a slight bow to Ondet before practically dragging Neth the rest of the way to his tent to get out of view as quickly as he could.

"That idiot!" he snarled once inside, crossing to the far end of his tent and giving his chest a mighty kick. "That imbicile! Doesn't he realize that he's jeopardized his position by arguing like a child?! I like him better drunk," Morgai concluded, sinking wearily down to the chest and rubbing his temples. A headache was forming behind his eyes. "Why do I have to share power with the likes of him...? Couldn't Ondet have picked a better second?"

----------

" 's hard, isn't it?" Arato asked without looking up from Rolan. After the Healers had done the best they could for the boy, they had left him in charge. And after seeing Rolan's eyelids flicker, he wasn't about to miss any other significant hints. "Seeing him like this. Who could have done this?"

"Someone without mercy," Eadoin muttered in reply, remembering what he had seen at the camp nearly two days ago. "The dark-skinned man I saw coming from the tent where we found him." He sank slowly into a chair and leaned back, closing his eyes against the tears that threatened to fall. Aiden had said that Rolan was in bad condition, but he hadn't been expecting this bad.

"The Healers say he will recover from his wounds - however, how his life turns out now is anyones guess," Arato said. Beneath his hand, Rolan's fever was still raging. He reached for a cold cloth and laid it across the boy's head. Abruptly, Eadoin stood from his chair and kissed Arianna on the top of the head

"Going to find Aiden," he said as an explanation before hurrying from the room. "He was probably up all night while we were gone. Wonder if he's eaten..." he muttered as he went down the halls.

Somehow, Eadoin managed to find his way to the kitchens, where he asked for breakfast for he and his brother before quickly getting out of the cook's way as she bustled around trying to run the kitchin practically by herself. He slunk to the stables and entered. Walking up and down between the stalls, he couldn't find Aiden.

"Er... where's Aiden?" he asked sofltly. The stable lad looked at him in confusion.

"Who?" he asked.

"Aiden. Tall, blonde, human, three scars on his face? Aiden?" Eadoin replied.

"Oh, you mean Rauko."

"Um... yes."

"He wandered down to one of the empty stalls we use for storing hay a while ago. Check there," the stable boy said before returning to work.

"Thanks, I guess..." Eadoin wandered down the isle where the stable boy had indicated. He checked all of the stalls, found no sign of his brother, and turned to leave the last one, when suddenly, he spotted a boot behind one of the bales. He stepped around and found Aiden asleep in the hay. Sighing, he nudged his brother with his foot.

----------

It seemed that he had only been asleep for a few minutes before something was prodding him in the back. He tried to ignore it, but whatever it was was persistant. Moaning, Aiden opened his eyes and saw Eadoin standing above him. He sat up.

"You do realize you're interrupting my nap," Aiden muttered irately. Eadoin sat down and handed him a bowl of food. "Er... thanks." They ate in silence.

"Look, I'm sorry about the way I've been acting like I'm older," Eadoin said after a long silence. "It's unintentional, and I'm going to try to stop it."

"Mmmm..." Aiden replied, chewing thoughtfully. "Apology accepted, as long as you try your hardest." Eadoin nodded and the fell into silence again.

"Did you know that they call you Rauko?" Eadoin asked. He waved vaguely down the stable, trying to indicate the stable boys. Aiden, luckily, knew what he meant.

"You mean the stable boys?"

"Yeah. What's it mean?"

"I don't know."

EDIT: Double post again - will delete one.

[Edited on 28/6/06 by Nimeneth]
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2006 09:08
With a great show of willpower, he changed the direction of his hand, wrapping one arm around Neth's waist and holding her wrist away from her dagger with his other.

Neth trembled under Morgai's grip, her anger very apparent. She didn't like being held at bay from her weapon, but Ondet was watching, and she had a feeling if she tried killing this particular Man, Ondet would be none too happy.

"She was as surprised as any of us, my 'friend'," Morgai sneered back, gently pulling Neth away from Delvan, step by baby step. "And she wouldn't have said anything we could use against her if she were actually involved." He kept moving slowly away from Delvan as he spoke.

She was hoping Morgai would not say anything further, and she sighed with relief when he didn't.

"And to that I say it would be best for you to keep your temper on a leash, because if it continues to run wild as it does, you'll find yourself missing your head." Delvan walked away. Morgai nodded a slight bow to Ondet before practically dragging Neth the rest of the way to his tent to get out of view as quickly as he could.

She stood stock still as he raved and kicked, and when he sank down on the chest, she went over and gently guided him to his bed. She stripped off his tunic and began gently massaging his shoulders and the back of his neck, rubbing gently at the base of his skull before moving her hands to his temples and rubbing there, then moving back again. She thought only about relieving his pain and stress, not about the soft flesh under her fingers that she knew would give way to a huge spurt of warm blood and instant death.

"Morgai," she whispered, leaning over to one side and kissing the side of his neck, several times, working her way up to the very edge of his ear, and whispering, "Morgai, look at me."

She helped him turn his head and her mouth covered his, and Neth slid around him so that she was in his lap, his arms around her, hers around him. "Morgai, I want to give myself to you..."

Just then there was a clearing of a throat outside the tent, and an instant later, Ondet entered. He stared expressionlessly at the two of them as they untangled themselves from each other and then said, "I understand you killed a man in my camp this morning, elleth."

Neth dropped to her knees in front of Ondet and said quietly, "It was self-defense, my Lord. He was going to violate me. As an elf, you know what that would do to me."

"Look at me, elleth."

She looked up at Ondet, and suddenly, the cold, flat steel was there against her neck, and she could feel the edge, diamond sharp, as it itched to break the tender skin at her throat. The blade wanted to be slick with her blood, she could feel it.

"But you did not draw down on Delvan. Morgai stopped your dagger hand from moving, but not your sword hand. Why didn't you?"

"Because he did not seem like any real threat to me, my Lord. It felt as if he were merely trying to get under Lord Morgai's skin more than mine."

"Oh, make no mistake, little elleth, Delvan wants to get more than under Morgai's skin. He wants Morgai dead."

Neth bristled with anger and Ondet smiled, a cold but genuine smile. "I suspect you know what Delvan would also ask for should he manage to kill Morgai."

"I would kill him before he even had a chance to come near me."

"Revenge for Morgai, or self-defense for yourself?"

Her jaw set firmly, and her eyes turned into two glittering pieces of ice. "Revenge for Morgai."

Ondet removed the blade from her throat. He could tell she was not lying to him.

"Thank you, my pretty pet. That response told me all I needed to know and erased all my doubts about you." He looked at Morgai and said, "Gather a group of men, ones you can trust to follow an unusual set of orders. You will be undertaking a little mission with pretty little Neth here this evening."

Ondet's eyes swivelled to Neth and he said, "You will be received in my tent in two hours, do you understand?"

Neth nodded, unsure of what would be happening in two hours.

Ondet smirked. "Be prepared for pain, little elleth. Lots of it." He went out of the tent and Neth turned to look at Morgai, her eyes wide.
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2006 01:43
[OOC: GAH. Sort of muddled up at the moment; forgive me if this gets totally screwed. Ehehh. Sakhar returns! And I realise how ironically fitting this is because the teacher called Mr Sakhar – who is the evil! Sakhar’s namesake (in name only; in all other respects he is the total opposite) - has indeed returned to our school for good.]

As Istalë finally decided she had had just about enough and made to leave the healing wing for the sanctum of her own room and perhaps her own bed, the courtyard below was – for the third time that very eventful morning – once again in a total uproar.

It began with the loud “clank clank clank” of rusty metal plates grating on equally well-maintained chain mail, and as the sounds approached the elleth became aware of the crunching thud of heavy mettalic boots on the cobblestoned path into Imladris, the uneven footsteps telling of one exhausted, stumbling being.

And then a very loud, very peeved, and delightfully familiar voice rang out, accompanied by the sudden frantic rustling of leaves and branches as all the wildlife that remained in the fading haven took fright and scarpered. There was no mistaking it. It could only be the dwarf.

Istalë ran to the edge of the walkway directly overlooking the entryway, hardly daring to believe herself, still half-convinced that she was either hallucinating, hearing things, or just asleep, to find Hanni’s stout little form face-down on the cobbles in the courtyard. The dwarf looked absolutely battered; she could see blood – both black and red – decorating the crude armour, and it somewhat puzzled Istalë as to why the dwarf should come to be in orc-garb. She made to go downstairs, but Aiden appeared from within the stables first, and between them the Rohirrim man and a couple of awed, stunned, and perhaps quite confused stablehands had managed to lift Hanni’s dead weight and were on their way upstairs to the healing wing.

Relief washed over the elleth in what seemed like a cool wave of exhaustation, and Istalë became suddenly acutely aware of the fact that she had indeed been up all night, as Bellas had so rightly pointed out. Aiden and his hapless volunteers appeared; healers directed them to a nearby room. Once she had satisfied herself that Hanni would indeed be alright, and was merely suffering the aftereffects of a night’s hard trek combined with a few nasty but undangerous gashes, Istalë settled herself into one of the more comfortable chairs in a dim corner of the room. The elleth’s eyes soon glazed over as dark dreams finally overcame her.

~*~

There were some days Sakhar seriously doubted the intelligence of the motely crew he had wound up with. Well, half of the rabble, ay any rate. Half were orcs – and Sakhar had very low opinions of those creatures indeed – and the other half… perhaps some of them had taken one too many wounds to the head. Especially that Delvan and Morgai. How on earth they had gotten to the posts of Ondet’s seconds-in-command he would never know. In the space of one night, it seemed the duo had managed to lose two very valuable prisoners, the even more valuable (in Sakhar’s eyes) stallion, turn the camp upside down by allowing the prisoners’ friends to pull off a rescue, lose more than a few orcs – who, for all their inbuilt abject stupidity, were still very good “dirty-work-doers” – and clear almost the entire camp’s alcohol supply.

He could have done with the alcohol.

Morgai had something of a captive, although he was not treating the elleth like one. Sakhar had recognised the blonde beauty as one of the defenders the instant he laid his eyes upon her. Or at least, he had seen her among the elves in Rivendell. Right now she was snuggling up to Morgai as the man launched into yet another heated conversation with Delvan. Sakhar felt his lip curling in disgust, but he decided that their business was below him. He almost wished Di’shan was here, but Ondet had sent the other Haradrim to Rohan on one business or another.

Slipping off behind a row of collapsed tents, Sakhar sought out his employer.

[OOC: I’m going to break off here before it gets crappier. SO uninspired right now. >< It suffices to say Sakhar is going to offer to track the captives and do a bit more nosey-ing-around in Rivendell.]
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 02, 2006 04:17
((And finally... I post))

“Amata,” he said quietly, wishing his blasted arms didn’t hurt so badly, so he could reach out to her, “It cheers my heart to see you again. When did you return to the valley?”

The half-elf gave a small start when Narmion spoke. Although she had been looking at him, she hadn’t realised that he had woken. She found herself smiling – to her surprise, without any difficulty – and edged nearer to the wounded elf. “I returned just yesterday afternoon,” she explained. “After hearing the rumours which have spread about Rivendell, I… I couldn’t desert my friends.” Her eyes looked once more at his bandaged hurts and she said sorrowfully, “I am greatly joyful to have you return, even in this state, Narmion.” She sighed. “Don’t tell me about it. Just go back to sleep… you need rest, and I’ll sit with you.” She looked down warmly at him, wishing for him to heal, wishing for both Narmion and Rolan to heal, more than anything else.

Amata now realised that she had been wrong to go away. She had sacrificed her friendship with her companions, and it had not been worth it. To return to Rivendell, almost like a stranger, was not an enjoyable experience. Especially when she saw what her friends had been through.
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2006 04:57
Nethraueth was nervous. Very much so. So she did what was automatic to her when she became nervous, and she began to work her blades.

She forgot about Morgai, about the tent, about Ondet and the camp. She forgot everything except the beauty and fury of the dance between herself and her blades.

As the blades sliced through the air, she found herself picturing again what had happened the last time she had prepared for something with this dance.

Glyndr.

The ice Captain.

The one who thought her a mere wisp of a girl.

She had shown him.

Now she would show everyone that you did not mess with the young lioness. She would bring down Imladris for the sins of her people.

The blades whirled faster and faster until finally she stopped, exhausted, and collapsed onto both her and Morgai's beds. She lay there, panting for air and trying to center herself.
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 09, 2006 06:10
When Ondet entered his tent, Morgai had scrabbled for his tunic, but when he heard what the elf had mentioned to Neth, his mind went completely blank. When he came back after his momentary loss of self, Neth was practicing with her blades. He barely even registered the fact as his mind went to work forming his fragmented emotions into thoughts. Pain? Neth? Neth in pain not good - why? Tied to mission? Don’t understand…

The tent was silent, silence broken only by the soft song of metal slicing through the air. Morgai finally managed to get his thoughts into some semblance of order just as Neth collapsed across both their bedding and practically in his lap. He gently moved her off of him and onto his furs. He leaned down and kissed the tip of her pointed ear.

“It’s going to be alright, sweetling,” he said as he began to rub her shoulders. “Ondet is probably just trying to scare you.” And he’s doing a very good job of it, too, he added to himself. He sat there for a while like that, just massaging her shoulders, until he finally stood up.

“Stay here,” Morgai said as he pulled his tunic over his head. “I’m going to recruit some men. I will be back shortly, don’t fret.” Kneeling, he kissed her cheek before exiting his tent and stalking across the camp in search of men to recruit. ‘Gather a group of men, ones you can trust to follow an unusual set of orders’, Ondet had said. Morgai snorted. Trust wasn’t even a factor here – he trusted nobody, except perhaps Neth, and doubted that any of the men he chose would be able to follow simple orders, let alone “unusual” ones.

------

Rolan still showed few signs of being awake, Arato noted as he lifted the cloth from the boy’s forehead to check his temperature. It had gone down a bit, but it was still higher than normal. The dark-haired man replaced the cloth on Rolan’s forehead again and gently brushed some wayward hair from the boy’s ruined face.

“Rolan,” he said quietly, trying to get the boy to come back to the waking world, at least for a little bit. “Wake up – please.”
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 10, 2006 04:03
Glyndr smiled at her words, a soft smile, yet one that had meaning, “ Lalaith, I shall carry a spark of your own warm light in my heart. It will stay with me forever, and never fade no matter how dark our world becomes”.

The Captain looked towards the beginnings of the blanket she was working on, the smile grew, “ We have so much to live for now my love”.

Lalaith’s lips were turned up in a soft grin as he spoke. How she loved to see her Glyndr smiling, especially when the recent troubles had made him so unhappy.

Glyndr stood slowly and turned to face her, “ Come Lalaith walk with me ,” he stroked a lock of hair back from her face and kissed her, “I must go to find how the dwarf creature is, and then to find Arato and Arianna, we must begin to make plans”.

The elf Captain paused, with a slight frown, “ I wonder how Section Leader Telryn is coping?” The frown became deeper.
“If he does not return with Neth then I will personally nail him to the watchroom door by his left ear”.

There was that frown again- and his words sounded sincere, but the elleth couldn’t help being amused. Lalaith gave a small, light laugh and tugged at *his* ear, leaning forward to kiss his cheek.
“I am sure there will be no need for that,” she said, smiling into his eyes, “He is trustworthy. I have no doubt he will come through one way or another- he’s so very eager to do right by you my love. Have you not seen that in him?”

Before long they were walking arm-in-arm, headed for the healing halls to check on the dwarf. Lalaith couldn’t confess to remembering much about her… she’d really only seen her briefly, and at the time her attention had been focused on her husband.

When they came to the chamber where the dwarf had been cared for they found her tucked neatly into bed, sleeping and snoring. The healer gave Glyndr an account of her hurts, saying that mostly she was just utterly exhausted. He couldn’t guess when she would finally wake.

They were told that Arato and Arianna were both in the room with Rolan. When they came there Lalaith stood outside while her love entered, though she doubted a crowded room would matter to the fevered child. She had seen him at his worse and had helped clean his wounds, and she had hope that he would (eventually) come out of his fever.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The half-elf gave a small start when Narmion spoke. Although she had been looking at him, she hadn’t realised that he had woken. She found herself smiling – to her surprise, without any difficulty – and edged nearer to the wounded elf. “I returned just yesterday afternoon,” she explained. “After hearing the rumors which have spread about Rivendell, I… I couldn’t desert my friends.”

Narmion was still smiling, albeit tiredly. It really was good to see her… and having her smile back at him, and that she’d come back at all was enough to lift his spirits. When he noticed her eyeing his wrapped injuries he writhed inwardly. Did she share the pity of the healer? Or was that simply compassion in her eyes?

she said sorrowfully, “I am greatly joyful to have you return, even in this state, Narmion.” She sighed. “Don’t tell me about it. Just go back to sleep… you need rest, and I’ll sit with you.” She looked down warmly at him, wishing for him to heal, wishing for both Narmion and Rolan to heal, more than anything else.

“Oh, I’ve slept for a long while,” he said, warmed and eased by the warmth in her face as she looked down on him, “I’d rather stay awake and talk to you.”

He had no intentions of sharing the horrors of the enemy camp with her. He’d told the story once and that was it, no one else would ever hear it. For a little while they spoke of the times of peace when Amata had been in Imladris, after they’d met and before all of the trouble had started anew. Fond memories made him smile further, and when- at her urging, and the order of a healer who came in to give him more medicine- he did close his eyes to seek sleep again, Narmion’s soul felt fuller and more alive than it had in a long, long time. Having the half-elf in the room as he drifted off comforted him. His last fleeting thought was a hope that she’d still be there when he woke.

---------------------------------------------

“We take the western road at the next fork” he called back, “After that we take the less travelled paths, We move swiftly, yet in silence”.

Telryn looked back along the riders, trying to find Bellas, “Bellas, once we reach the woodland, I need you to be our guide…Remember the Captain’s orders, we search for Neth, No heroics, just get her and get out”.

Bellas nodded agreement to both comments. He was trying to ignore the sting in his arm and cursing himself for not seeking out another draught of medicine for pain. Perhaps it wasn’t the best for him to be out again so soon- but he thought of Neth in that wretched camp and the idea made his heart quail. Whatever it took, he thought darkly to himself, whatever it took he would do to see her safely back in Imladris. And he wouldn’t treat her like he had before- her brothers had been killed in battle so of course her emotions were running high. It was no wonder she gave off an intense aura, and he’d been an idiot to avoid her because of it.

He saw Teyrn rubbing his ear and cocked an eyebrow but said nothing, watching the lands about them. Their pace wasn’t as fast as he would have liked—the guard would be doubled, and scouts would be out and about possibly for miles around the campsite after the first rescue. As much as the slowness irritated him, they had to be extra careful—for Neth’s sake, if nothing else.

----------------------------------------------------

"And to that I say it would be best for you to keep your temper on a leash, because if it continues to run wild as it does, you'll find yourself missing your head."

Delvan just snickered as he turned and walked off. Back to battle plans and strategic movements- but his thoughts were on the pretty golden-haired elleth.

(ooc: well, its something after a long, long, long wait, isn’t it? :S I hope this is ok! Lemme know if anything needs changing, and I’m sorry I took so doggone long! and welcome back, Otter!!!! :heart
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2006 06:12
He could hear them, gods he could hear them, but he couldn't seem to work up the energy to respond! He didn't feel quite so warm, and there was a patch of icy coolness on his forehead that was welcome, but he still couldn't coordinate a response. I'm awake, don worry, he wanted to say. 'S kay, Arato, don worry. I'm 'ere an' I'm fine. He wished he could talk like he'd heard the Elves could - mind to mind. What had they called it? Telpthy? Telepathy? Something.

It hurt to think about the Elves. Something in him burned when the word entered his mind. But the memories that had been so clearly etched into his mind just days ago were quickly fading, replaced with something that seemed more fantasy than not. He was forgetting - losing what had happened to him. Rolan was terrified by the thought that he would lose a part of himself. Even this - these terrible hurts cast upon him by someone else were part of him. They were him, at least in part. And somehow, in some strange way, he was losing that. His mind was blocking out the worst bits, the stuff that his nightmares were made of. Should he be grateful? Maybe in an odd way, he didn't want to lose that terrible struggle that he'd survived. Why not? But it didn't matter why or why not. Either way, it was gone, and even with all the concentration he expended trying to find it, he could not. There was a wall there now, one without cracks or handholds.

"No!" It came out of a throat already ripped to shreads from pained screams. Now the pain came from defiance and fear. Even at his torture's hands, Rolan hadn't felt this kind of fear. He'd felt terror and resigned himself to a horrible death - been ready for it, mostly. Rolan's hands rose in front of him, grasping at a memory that slipped right out of his hands. "No, come back - " he was pleading with the black, the dark that was somehow just there. How'd it become night so early? Where was he? Well, best just to ask then.

"Where am I?" Why did his throat hurt so much? Was he sick? He felt a little sick... "Can I have something to drink?"
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2006 08:16
Arato had very nearly fallen off the side of the bed in surprise when Rolan had suddenly spoken and moved. He caught himself on the headboard and straightened himself out. Once he had registered that Rolan was very much awake, his first impulse was to crush the boy he had come to view as a little brother against him in a fierce hug. He thought better of it when he realized that the action would probably bring the boy pain. Arato settled for grasping the hand Rolan raised instead.

"You're home, Rolan," Arato said, reaching for the pitcher of water that was sitting next to the bed. "Or rather, in Imladris. You're safe." He poured a glass of water for Rolan and gently helped the boy into a sitting position. "Here," he said, placing the glass at the boy's lips.

(('Tis short - but I'm not really quite sure what to do with everybuggy else.))
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2006 08:42
“It’s going to be alright, sweetling,” he said as he began to rub her shoulders. “Ondet is probably just trying to scare you.” And he’s doing a very good job of it, too, he added to himself. He sat there for a while like that, just massaging her shoulders, until he finally stood up. “Stay here,” Morgai said as he pulled his tunic over his head. “I’m going to recruit some men. I will be back shortly, don’t fret.” Kneeling, he kissed her cheek before exiting his tent and stalking across the camp in search of men to recruit.

Neth relished Morgai's kisses and the tender massage. She wished he did not have to leave her, but she knew he had to do his duty or risk being killed himself by Ondet.

She got up and went outside the tent, where she found a basin of water. She picked up a small bucket and scooped some water into it, carrying it back into the tent and proceeded to begin giving herself a sponge bath.

Neth began by dunking her long locks into the bucket, after removing her braids, and she thoroughly washed her hair clean. Then she began scrubbing her body, trying to keep her mind off the words of Ondet.

She wondered exactly how much pain he actually intended her to have.

Ondet was sitting in the center of his tent, his back to the opening. his eyes were closed, and there was a small smile on his face.

Soon, he would know how tough and battle ready the little elleth really was. How much pain she could handle. Perhaps he would let Delvan have a chance to inflict pain on her...no...he had a better idea...

A truly evil smile crosses slowly over Ondet's face.
otterling
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2006 11:58
((OOC: OMG!! It's an Otter post! LOL! I know, you haven't seen one in quite some time. Well, I have ALOT of catching up to do. This is sort of Part 1 of the Di'shan story. This is the edited version of what happens at Dirk's place. I hope you all like it so far. Nothing was really edited out of this section as it just got started, but, well, I got three pages and said "Better post what I've got before I keep going..." ))

Rain.

Di’shan was beginning to hate rain. It had poured all of the last evening and even now, in the light of morning, a thin drizzle continued to patter upon his head. There had been little shelter to be had in this wilderness, leaving his every possession thoroughly saturated with moisture and he highly doubted there was much in this world that could be less comfortable than a wet saddle and a mare with a rough gait. No, he thought with a rueful little smile, there are MUCH less comfortable things. Di’shan would know…he was the thus-far undisputed king of discomfort as he no doubt knew the young lad behind him could attest to. The boy clung to the saddle in stoic silence as he had for most of the trip so far. His struggling had been short lived in the face of Di’shan’s “punishments” but there was an unwavering strength in the lad that even the Harad man had to admit to. The boy had only cried a total of three times that Di’shan had born witness to and, all things considered, that was a remarkable amount of resolve.

The boy’s name was Trevan, youngest son of Dirk and Melanie of Rohan, and now, the only remaining member of Dirk’s family. It had seemed all too simple to Di’shan, which of course, should have been his first warning. His fingers slid protectively up to the dark, jagged line which ran down the left side of his chest, fingering the crusted blood that still clung to the wound even after three days had passed. Memories of the last week played back through his mind, recounting all that had led him to this point. Eight days ago, Ondet had sent him forth from the camp, and the entertainment of his most recent toys, to ride for the home of one of their own number, Dirk, a man of Rohan, who Ondet was greatly displeased with. Di’shan had been sent as a message…and a punishment. He’d ridden as fast as the chestnut gelding would take him, moving into boats whenever the opportunity presented itself that he might make the trip faster, refusing sleep in favor of more travel wherever and whenever he could. Time was of the essence. Finally he arrived in the lands of Rohan. Sweeping, open fields greeted him, their tall grasses swirling lazily in un-seen winds as a warm afternoon sun cast long shafts of light down through the clouds.

Dirk’s home had been less than a day’s ride from that point. Di’shan had come to the edge of a large open wheat field where a modest heard of beautiful horses were grazing peacefully. A few foals playfully nipped and chased each other, their shrill cries rising up into the summer air and his own mount called out to them, for a moment forgetting it’s cruel rider and the days of unrest behind it. Nestled atop a small climb right in the middle of that field was a cottage with age washed stone walls and a thatched roof; a banner caught high in the breeze whipped about from a flag pole set into the frame of the entryway and a low wall of pale stones encased the whole structure to include the quaint garden out front. The call of Di’shan’s horse was echoed by the small herd and he had barely moved the horse forward by more than a few steps when the thin form of a young boy had come rushing out the front door. Trevan had stood there, staring incredulously at newcomer and for a moment the two had locked gazes. Di’shan, worried the boy might spook and alert anyone else around to his presence, raised his hand in a gesture meant as peaceful greeting but to a boy who had been waiting for so long for the return of his father, the gesture seemed one of greater familiarity than it was intended. The boy’s heart had leapt. Surely, that was a horse of Rohan, and no one else had ridden out to their lands in quite some time…..it had to be.

“Father!” Trevan shouted, rushing out of the house and tearing across the field, his long white shirt rippling in the wind as he ran. Black ruffled hair clearly marked him as the son of Dirk and large brown eyes spoke of his mother’s charm. Di’shan, however, noticed neither and was simply sitting stunned atop his mount, contemplating what had just happened The boy had just called him “father”. No. Surely not. There were no gods of orcs or men who were that cruel…or that generous to men like Di’shan. Yet even as the boy approached, the joy in his young eyes did not fade. Certainly he would realize soon enough that Di’shan was not of his own blood. Trevan skidded to a halt at the gelding’s side, placing a hand on it’s long sleek neck as he panted to catch his breath. Large eager eyes peered up at the man staring down at him from atop the saddle.

Trevan had been so very young when Dirk left and all the boy had were distant memories and vague impressions of his father. He remembered tan skin and dark hair, a good man, but little else. Sadly, Di’shan fit the bill as well as any other with his caramel skin, dark eyes, and black locks; sitting astride a horse saddled and trained by Dirk himself, the Harad man was just familiar enough in all the right ways to leave Trevan with little doubt. Di’shan stared down at the boy, disbelieving for a few moments the lad was still convinced of his earlier assessment, then a thought occurred to him that left Di’shan biting back a chuckle. How long had Dirk been riding with Ondet? Years, surely, and yet this lad could not be more than a decade old. The boy didn’t even know his own father by sight, he’d been too young when Dirk left. The Cheshire cat grin spread across Di’shan’s face, though the mirth in his eyes was for entirely different reasons than any poor Trevan could suspect.

“Trevan?” Di’shan asked with an air of mock disbelief, “My goodness, you’ve certainly grown. I almost didn’t recognize you.” On the outside, Di’shan was the picture of fatherly affection, played with the same perfection with which he’d gained so many of his former victims, but inside, the vile cunning of a predator was taking stock of this newest twist of fate. The very thing that he had come seeking had just rushed up to him and declared him “father”. Di’shan had to hold back the cackling laugh building in his throat as he thought of all the ways this could play out for him (and of the look on Dirk’s face when he learned of it) and instead he reached down his hand and offered it to the boy. “Do you like my new mount? Beautiful isn’t he?” Trevan’s smile grew even larger than before as his false-father confirmed all the boy’s hopes. Barely able to take his eyes off Di’shan, Trevan glanced the horse over and smoothed out the silken coat under one small hand. “He’s beautiful, father!” The gelding nickered softly, sensing in Trevan the same gentleness he’d felt from Dirk. The boy-colt even smelled like Dirk. A shifting in the saddle brought the horse back to the problem at hand. The man on his back was NOT a good person and this young one was somehow related to Dirk; the horse flattened his ears and stamped the ground unhappily, he HAD to warn the child, had to warn the other horses not to trust this one. The thing on it’s back smelled of purest evil, the gelding had sensed it even before the Harad man was in the saddle, but Dirk had bade him carry the foul thing and so he had.

Dirk had also given him all the signs he needed to know that if the man on his back stepped too far out of bounds, Dirk would not be remiss if this one never returned.

The horse shifted further and raised his head high, trying to render the reins useless in Di’shan’s hands. Trevan stepped back gingerly, watching the horse in curiosity. The animal was acting like it was angry/afraid? He couldn’t tell what had caused this sudden change in behavior and he was fairly certain it wasn’t him. None of the horses had ever acted like this around him. Trevan looked up questioningly at the mounted rider. Di’shan tightened his grip on the reins and forced the gelding’s head back down before casting his eyes back over to the boy. “It’s alright son, I bought this one off a horrible man who mistreated him. He’s just a bit flighty still, is all. We’ll work with him together, what do you say?” Di'shan managed, despite the struggling horse beneath him, to maintain an air of friendliness and his smile never wavered. Di’shan’s legendary charm kicked in and Trevan, so very desperate in his heart to believe that his father had come home to him, dismissed his unease as nothing more than being a bit spooked by the horse’s behavior. His smile returned ten-fold at the thought of working with his pa out in the fields and he rushed over to take the hand Di’shan had extended to him.

Swiftly, Di’shan pulled the boy onto the saddle, placing him in front and wrapping one arm protectively around the lad’s waist. Throw me now, you mangey beast, Di’shan thought bitterly. He knew the horse wouldn’t risk hurting the boy in it’s attempt’s to remove himself, thus he had gotten the boy into the saddle as fast as he could. Sure enough, as soon as the lad was seated, the gelding calmed and stood perfectly still. Dirk would be highly upset if he accidentally hurt the boy-colt. Di’shan’s smile broadened and he pulled the reins sharply to the right, sending the horse towards the cottage. “Now then, son,” Di’shan grinned down at the boy, “Is your mother home?”

[Edited on 12/7/2006 by otterling]
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2006 09:22
“Perhaps”, Glyndr gave Lalaith a sideways glance as he arched an eyebrow.
“Telryn is too eager to please sometimes” he growled, “I have great difficulty in controlling that over enthusiasm”.
The Captain paused as if regretting his decision to send the young soldier as leader of the rescue group, “ I just hope he does not do anything stupid”.

A while later Glyndr and Lalaith stood with the healer at Hanni’s bedside.
Glyndr stood, his head on one side staring at the snoring dwarf, an expression of complete bemusement on his face.

“I shall never understand these strange, hairy creatures” he muttered, “How something so small can make so much noise is beyond me”.
The Captain shook his head in disbelief, then satisfied that the dwarf was in no danger, he went towards the room Rolan had been taken to.

Glyndr paused at the door and glanced back over his shoulder at Lalaith.
His wife appeared not to want to enter. He nodded, he could understand why.

Moving silently inside the room, the elf Captain stood just inside the door.
He said nothing, as he witnessed the scene before him, the sights, and memories, of finding Rolan and Narmion at the camp were still sharp in his mind.
Memories he would never forget.

“Arato, Arianna”, he said quietly, “I am sorry to intrude, I have not the right to be here at this time, and I am sorry to speak of military matters in this place, but Arianna I must know what plans you have for Imladris, Arato and I must also discuss our defences”.

Glyndr’s ice cold eyes never left Rolan, as he backed away towards the door, the unreadable look haunting their depths, “I shall be found either at my office, or at the training grounds over the next few days should either of you need to find me”.

The Captain left, and walked back to Lalaith, “ Lalaith my love”, he stroked her face with a fingertip, “ I must go to the stables, both Sylstar and I are in need of battle practice, come with me if you want”.

Glyndr smiled his half smile, “ Or perhaps you are needed elsewhere? Whatever you choose, I shall make certain that I will be back at our chambers this evening”.

Telryn halted the group close to the edge of the woodlands; he pushed his dark hair back, and looked intently ahead.
The soldier knew that there was a growing risk of increased enemy patrols, or lookouts as they drew nearer. So far they had been lucky.

“Dismount” he ordered, “We halt here, this is as far as we can safely go on horseback without the risk of being noticed” .

Telryn slid from his horse’s back and took his bow from the saddle.
“I will station two of you here with the horses, the others will come with me”. Telryn tried desperately hard to sound as confident and as commanding as his Captain –god.

“Bellas”, the young soldier turned to the smith, “From now on you will guide us to the camp, we will stop when we get close enough to assess the situation, and I will give further orders then”.

Telryn took a deep breath and pulled himself up to his full height .
He looked at the group as they dismounted and stood waiting for his command, it seemed still so unreal.
He had a command.
His Captain had given him his rarely given trust.

“You, and you” he pointed to two of the group, “You will stay here with the horses”.
Telryn turned to Bellas, “ Do you have anything to brief us on before we leave?”

Glyndr walked slowly towards the stables, his thoughts on Neth, and the young Section Leader that he had sent out on the potentially dangerous task to rescue her.
“Telryn” he growled to himself, “Just don’t do any thing stupid, because if they don’t kill you ..I will”.
The elf Captain slid slender fingers over the cold sword blade sheathed at his side.

Sylstar knew Glyndr was there before he even entered the stables, the stallion turned circles in his stall, snorting and pawing at the floor, bashing at the wood of the door,and kicking at the wall. Impatient. The arrival of Glyndr meant out!

“Sylstar, enough!” Glyndr went to the stall, “Patience animal!”
The silver grey stallion put his head over the door and laid back his ears, wrinkling his nose as if ready to bite.

“I said enough. You devil creature”, the Captain slapped the animal’s neck, “Get back”.
Glyndr pushed hard against Sylstar’s shoulder as he entered the stall, ignoring the snap close to his own shoulder.

As ever, they tested each other in a battle of wills, each respecting the other, they were as one, a formidable fighting team, loyal to each other to the death.

“Valar animal, get round!” Glyndr shoved hard at the stallion’s rump, turning him to face the door, “ You and I have work to do”.
The elf Captain stroked Sylstar’s powerful neck he could feel the power running deep, Sylstar as eager as he was to be out.

“Yes my lad” Glyndr whispered as he ran his hand over the horse’s withers and down his back, “ We are too much alike you and I”.

Not bothering with saddle or bridle, Glyndr walked to one of the training fields Sylstar followed, sniffing the air and shaking his head, all traces of the limp gone.

Glyndr leapt onto the horse’s back, not as agilely as usual, he had not recoverd completely from the last fight .

The Captain leant close to Sylstar’s ear; he whispered words in elvish, then drew his sword. The cold gleam of metal reflected in ice blue eyes.

The stallion leapt forward in well-practiced battle moves, as fluid as any dance.
Elf and horse moved, and thought as one , inseparable, the formidable fighting team.

Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2006 10:56
Neth was just finishing with her bath and redressing herself when two orcs entered the tent, grabbing her arms before she was completely covered. "The lord Ondet wants you."

That was as far as that one got. She punched him in the side of the head, a dagger hidden in her hand. She spun and kicked out at the other orc, who went flying backwards and crashed through the tent opening. A moment later Neth stepped out, yanking her tunic down the rest of the way and then grabbing the orc that was lying on his back in front of the tent by the ear and twisting it. "Let me make something perfectly clear to you. I answer to only Lord Ondet, or, by his choice, to Morgai. You, and all the other scum in this camp, do not have permission to enter that tent at any time. I know this because I witnessed the deaths of a pair of your kind who accidently stumbled in there. If you ever, and I do mean EVER, even think about putting your filthy hands on me again, I will cut off your hands and suspend you upside down from a tree while using you for knife throwing practice. Do I make myself absolutely clear?"
The orc babbled something incoherent, and neth stood up and stepped over him, kicking him in the side of the head on her way past. A path cleared for her all the way to Ondet's tent, and she stopped outside, and took a breath before calling out, "My Lord, I was informed you wished to see me now instead of later."

Ondet's voice came from the tent, low but clear. "You may enter, elleth."

Nethraueth slipped into the tent, and it took a moment for her eyes to adjust to the dimness. It seemed darker in here than in Morgai's tent, somehow, and she didn't understand the reason.

"Please, come sit down, young lioness. We shall talk a while before the preparations begin for your journey tonight." Ondet motioned to a spot near him, and so she sat down, looking at him quizzically.

"My journey? Where am I going?"

Ondet smiled and said, "You are going home, to Imladris."

Neth sat there, stunned. "You are sending me back there? I mean, I know I promised to aid you, but I don't understand why you would send me away..."

"Oh, you are not being sent away. Most definitely not. You will be returning to me again, and you will serve me for the rest of your life, elleth, just as Morgai has sworn to do. I gave you to Morgai for a reason, to keep him happy. If something should happen to Morgai, that does not gain you your freedom. If something happens to Morgai, dear elleth, then you become solely my possession."

Although part of her wished to sing with relief that she would not have to worry about Delvan if something happened to Morgai, the prospect of belonging to Ondet terrified her. She said a prayer that she would not lose him. She slowly nodded to Ondet and said, "And I will serve you well all the remaining days of my life, my lord."

Ondet smiled a disarming smile and said, "You look lovely now that you are cleaned up. However, I am afraid that you will be disappointed that it will not last." He chuckled at her confused look and said, "I cannot send you back in such a pristine state. Otherwise, they would not believe that you were truly a captive. However, we will get to that later." Ondet called to one of the men outside the tent, and in a low voice, so that Neth would not hear, proceeded to begin detailing what he wanted done and how, and ended the conversation with, "Make sure I am informed the moment that Di'shan returns to camp."

He turned back to smile at Neth and said, "Tell me...how are things with you and Morgai? Enjoying each other's company, are you?"

She nodded slowly, unsure of why he would ask such a thing.

Ondet smiled, and said, "You may go and rest now. We only have a short time before it is time to leave." Neth smiled, got up and headed for the tent flap. Ondet's voice stopped her cold.

"I'm sorry, you must have misunderstood me. You will rest over there." Ondet pointed at the pile of furs that served as his bed. "Until this mission has been completed and is a success, I will not allow you and Morgai to be alone together. You must prove to me that you desire to please me." He pointed at the bed again and said, "Now go."

[Edited on 16/7/2006 by Iell-daughter-of-elves]
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 16, 2006 02:43
((AAARG! *Kicks her computer* That makes twice today that it's stopped me from posting! Darned piece of electric junk! Now I have to rewrite all that I wrote before! *muttergrumblesnarl*))

Although Morgai didn't know what was happening, the moment Neth set foot in Ondet's tent, a chill rushed down Morgai's spine. He glanced over his shoulder warily at the men he had recruited, thus far a whopping two, and they looked warily back. He couldn't explain it, but something in the camp felt very... wrong. Nothing, however, looked out of the ordinary, so Morgai brushed it off as paranoia brought about by Delvan - perfectly normal. He continued walking through the camp, looking for more men to join him on the mission.

"You there," Morgai said, spotting a red-head by a fire with two other men. The man looked back over his shoulder and hurriedly rose to attention upon seeing the second. "And you two," the second added, spotting two men sitting at the fire, bearing a striking resemblance to each other - brothers, he supposed. "Lord Ondet has giving me orders for a mission tonight. You three are to accompany me. Gather your weapons and follow me."

"But sir," the younger of the two brothers, looking to be about 16 or 17, protested. "I've got wa - " He shut his mouth quickly as Morgai grabbed him in the crook of one arm and placed a dagger firmly at his throat.

"What were you saying?" Morgai hissed into his ear. The youth gulped around the glittering steel at his throat.

"I've got nothing better to do, actually," he said with a squeak. Sheathing the blade and shoving the youth away, Morgai turned to look around. The youth stumbled and nearly fell. His brother helped him to his feet.

"That's what I thought you said." His eyes came to rest on another man in the vicinity. "You, take his watch," he barked, and watched with satisfaction as the man nearly jumped from his skin and tripped over his feet bowing and trying to walk away at the same time.

When the two hours he had been allotted to find men for his mission, Morgai had gathered six men other than himself. Considering they were undertaking this at night, he figured it was probably best to have a small number for stealth. Also, since Neth was involved, he figured it had something to do with Imladris.

"My lord, I've come with the men you've asked me to gather," Morgai called into the tent, rapping on the taunt canvas of the closed opening of the pavilion. The men behind him shifted nervously.

----------

Aiden and Eadoin looked down the hallway of the stables as they heard a horse kicking at the walls of its stall. Seeing Glyndr forcing Sylstar back into the stall with his shoulder, they exchanged glances and continued to watch as the captain finally won in his traditional battle of wills over the horse. The grey followed him out towards the training grounds, followed in turn by the brothers from Rohan.

“What are you doing, Rauko?!” one of the stable hands asked in a hiss, grabbing Aiden’s forearm with his hand. Aiden shook his hand off.

“First off, what does “Rauko” mean? And second, we’re not going to get in the Captain’s way – we’re only going to watch,” Aiden replied.

“‘Rauko’ means ‘demon’, first of all, and second, if he finds you’ve followed him, he’ll be angry with you! He’s in a bad mood.” The stable hand glanced after the captain. “And his grey has got a temper to match, the beast.” Sighing, the stable hand stepped back into the stall of the strawberry roan he had been grooming, leaving Aiden glowering at him. Eadoin dragged him along.

“Demon, huh?” the older boy asked indignantly, still trying to glower over his shoulder. “Why ‘demon’? If anything, Sylstar and Diablo are the demons here, not me!”

“Maybe news of your temper has gotten around?” Eadoin suggested as they followed the dark captain and his grey to the training grounds. “Either that or it’s the scars.” He traced three fingers over his right cheek to emphasize his point. Aiden playfully shoved Eadoin, sending the younger man stumbling to regain his balance. When they entered the training grounds, they stopped in awe at seeing the fluidity of horse and rider as they went through battle moves.

[Edited on 12/8/06 by Nimeneth]
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 16, 2006 04:55
"Arato, Arianna”, he said quietly, “I am sorry to intrude, I have not the right to be here at this time, and I am sorry to speak of military matters in this place, but Arianna I must know what plans you have for Imladris, Arato and I must also discuss our defences”.

Glyndr’s ice cold eyes never left Rolan, as he backed away towards the door, the unreadable look haunting their depths, “I shall be found either at my office, or at the training grounds over the next few days should either of you need to find me”.

Ari nodded. She didn't lift her eyes from Rolan until after Glyndr had lef the room. Then she stood slowly and quitely. "I have to go," she said to no one in particular and walked out of the room. Ari had no idea where she wanted to go. She had no real plans for the defences of Imladris. They had always seemed to take care of themselves... She could think of the river and a few other strategic places to repel invaders, but even that knowledge was limited. Glyndr knew more about military matters than she did. He should be the one in charge of running Imladris, not her!

With sudden inspiration, Ari went to look for the Twins. Elladan and Elrohir, though both unable to take the reins of Imladris for her, had still been raised to be the leaders of this place. They would know more about it than she. The only problem would be finding them. Ari tried all the places that she normally looked for the Twins. Neither of them were there. With a final look down the last corridor of the Last Homely House, Ari gave up her search and went out to the practice courts intending to get a little practice in herself. Pehaps whilie there inspiration would strike her. Hopefully not in the form of a blow to the head. That wouldn't be helpful.

The courts were empty where Arianna got there. Or - mostly empty. Down at the far end, in the paddock, not really the courts at all, she could see Glyndr's warhorse spinning and excuting war manuvers with deadly precision. It was fascinating to watch the horse's dance of power, but Ari forced herself to look away. She went into the armoury and sifted through several big piles of weaponry. Finally she settled upon using a medium length sword, fullered nearly the enitre length of the blade. It was well balanced and fit her hand as if the handle had been made for her. Padding for underneath the practice mail was easy enough to find. Ari slipped into it with relatively little problem and then went back out onto the courts.

There were more people here now. On a court here, she could see two Elves fighting. One of them was having a little problem with using his shield effectively and the other was taking full advantage of that. Ari did a couple warm-up exercises on her own, but kept pausing to watch the two fighters. They moved in a rather familiar way. When they finally stopped, pulling their helmets off, she could tell why they seemed so familiar. They were the Twins. She wondered at once how Elladan had managed to fight blind. After sheathing her sword, she sprinted over to the two of them, wanting to catch them now and question them about Imladris and her defences.

The two of them looked up at the same time, one dark pair of eyes meeting hers and one milky pair looking straight through her. It was rather unnerving to look Elladan in the eye nowadays. He seemed much more otherworldly as well. Elrohir was the more down-to-earth twin, it seemed at times. That in itself was slightly scary.

"Salut, mellon nin," Elrohir greeted Ari. "It's a fine day out today."

Ari nodded a bit, wanting to ask now, but not really knowing how to.

"Does something trouble you?" the much more perceptive Elladan inquired. "You seem tense, Ari."

"How did you -"

"Know?" Elladan laughed. "You walk like someone who has had the weight of a country thrust upon her shoulders unwanted, but willing to do all she can to care for it."

"Stop trying to make yourself seem so important, 'Dan," Elrhoir objected. To Ari he said, "I told him."

Elladan grinned at her. "He did. Although, it does sound much more impressive the way I put it."

"It would have sounded more convincing if you said you knew her voice," Elrohir argued.

"But I don't know the voices of everyone in Imladris," Elladan pointed out with unfailing logic.

Ari would have loved to just listen to them bicker, but she couldn't. She needed answers. "Could I ask you two a few questions?" she asked.

"Yes, of course," Elladan said gently. He could almost sense the nervousness coming off of Ari. It was nearly palpable, it was so strong.

"What does Imladris have in the way of defences?" Ari asked quickly.

"So Glyndr's finally asked you to come up with defense plans," Elladan commented darkly.

His twin swore colorfully.

"Exactly how I was feeling. Ari - the defences of Imladris are many and complicated. It's difficult to explain some of them as they have to do with the land around Imladris herself. Do you mind if we talk to Glyndr?"

Arianna could have hugged them in relief. "Mind?" she exclaimed. "Havens no! I'm not sure I want to face Glyndr for a time now. At least, not without being very sure of whatever subject I need to speak with him on."

"All right then - we'll take the defences to Glyndr and tell him you sent us."

"We'll make sure you're 'very busy'," Elrohir added.

"And we can become your secretaries of defense," Elladan suggested.

"In whatever ways you can help, it's appreciated," Ari told them sincerely. "I wasn't selected for anything other than people-skills. I wish that was all it took to run Imladris. This whole business with defences and fighting has me all in a knot. Thank you so much, both of you."

"You're home, Rolan," Arato said, reaching for the pitcher of water that was sitting next to the bed. "Or rather, in Imladris. You're safe." He poured a glass of water for Rolan and gently helped the boy into a sitting position. "Here," he said, placing the glass at the boy's lips.

Rolan drank down the water greedily, choking a little as he inhaled some of it. "Th-thanks." He stumbled over the word a little, but not too badly. His throat didn't burn quite so much either. He was feeling much better. Rolan moved a little bit and listened. He could hear a lot. But - everything was dark.

"Is it nighttime out?" he wanted to know. Something told him that no, it wasn't night, but he wanted to be sure. If it was night, he would be able to see stars, at least. Some light would be present. "Why can't I see anything?"
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2006 12:43
"Is it nighttime out?" he wanted to know. Something told him that no, it wasn't night, but he wanted to be sure. If it was night, he would be able to see stars, at least. Some light would be present. "Why can't I see anything?"

Arato opened his mouth to answer, but found that he couldn't bring himself to tell Rolan what had happened. He gave a deep sigh and got up from the bed. He paced back and forth across the room, gnawing on the pad of his thumb.

How do I tell him this? Arato asked himself, stopping at one of the windows and staring out into the gardens. He sighed again before turning back to Rolan.

"Rolan... I..." he sighed again. "I hate to tell you this, but you're blind. I guess they decided that you hadn't suffered enough and took out your eyes." Arato crossed back to the bed and sat down. "They went too far."

----------

Eadoin was in awe. However, it wasn't for Glyndr any longer. Some minutes ago, a pair of elves in armor had entered the training grounds and were sparring some distance away. A while later, Arianna had entered the training grounds and soon afterwards, the pair of elves had taken off their helmets. Eadoin had to stare in shock.

The elves were lords Elladan and Elrohir. Was it even possible to fight without your eyesight, he wondered. It appeared so for the elves, but for humans? Eadoin frowned, thinking of Rolan. Quietly he slipped away from his brother and towards the three elves, appearing at Arianna's shoulder.

"Er... sorry to interrupt," he said by way of greeting, nodding respectfully to the twins. "I noticed you were wearing mail. Why?"

----------

There was the soft sound of canvas dragging on canvas from within the tent before Ondet stepped out. Morgai felt his men bowing behind him as he gave a deep, respectful nod. Ondet returned into his tent without a word, beckoning Morgai to follow him.

He and his men moved to stand in the center of the tent. Morgai stopped abruptly upon seeing Neth sitting on Ondet's bed and stared in shock.

"What's going on?" He looked to Ondet in suspicious curiosity.

"It's much easier to have her here rather than sending someone to fetch her," Ondet replied. "I asked her to come here earlier."

"What is our mission?" Morgai asked, nodding to show that he understood what Ondet had done.

"You're riding out tonight under the pretext of scouting. You're to bring Neth with you, because those in the Rivendell have most likely realized she's here, as our prisoner," Ondet said.

"Prisoner? She don't look like one," one of the men piped up from behind Morgai.

"Correct. This is partially why you are here." Ondet's cold green eyes met Morgai’s. “Morgai, I want you to make her look like she’s a prisoner. Beat her.”

“What?” Morgai asked in angry shock.

“I want you to beat her.” Ondet dragged Neth up from his bed and shoved to the ground before Morgai.

“No…” Morgai shook his head. Ondet’s eyes became like pieces of ice.

“Now!”

“No!”
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2006 02:15
Ondet’s green eyes gleamed as a sadistic grin spread across his face. When he spoke again, there was a chill in the air that matched the one in his voice.

“If you will not beat her, then someone else will.” The tent flap opened and two large hulking orcs entered and grabbed Morgai, forcing him to his knees and yanking his head back so that he had no choice but to watch.

Neth was staring at Ondet, utterly horrified. He wants Morgai to beat me, so I look like a prisoner? She was confused and dropped her gaze to the floor. But he would have to know Morgai would refuse…she looked up in a panic. Ondet stood there with that sickening smile on his face, watching as the realization set in that Ondet had set her and Morgai up. He wanted to watch Nethraueth suffer, to make Morgai watch, to ensure that both of them understood that he owned them both, body and soul, and there was no escaping him.

Ondet reached out and grabbed her by the chin in a vicelike grip, and he pulled her to her feet. Her chin trembled, and Ondet's eyes sparkled. “Now you see how things are. Regardless of your feelings for each other, I own you, and you do what I say or you suffer the consequences. “

The first blow was struck to the side of her jaw, hard enough to spin her around. Ondet grabbed her around the waist and flung her to the group of men that had come in with Morgai and said, “Do it, or die, all of you!”

Neth tried to keep her eyes on Morgai, but her head began to swim and soon her whole body had gone numb. She slumped to the floor, and Ondet chuckled softly. Just then, there was a disturbance at the tent flap and a voice called out, “My Lord, Di’shan has returned, with a boy.”

Ondet called back, “Tell him to bring the boy and come here immediately. I have a gift for him.”

The messenger ran to Di’shan and delivered the message, and Ondet knew he would not be waiting long. Even Di’shan would not show such disrespect as to keep him waiting.

The elf looked at Morgai and said, "The next time I give you an order, and you fail to do as I ask…she will die.” He smiled and said, “As it is, Di’shan will have a little fun with her, but unless you do something stupid, I will not allow him to take her life. Do you understand me, Morgai?”

[Edited on 20/7/2006 by Iell-daughter-of-elves]
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 20, 2006 12:54
Amata sat quietly on the chair beside his bedside as Narmion drifted back into sleep. It had been good to speak of the old times, when none of the fear and war had laid Imladris desolate. She smiled fondly down at him, before turning her gaze away and leaning back in her chair, stretching her arms. After yawning, it was short work before her head was drooping to one side, and sleep also claimed her soul.

Faeringirl swung the heavy metal blade from his right hand, clinking slightly as the chain mail shifted with his pace. His dark brown hair was bound back, and for once, a scroll was not to be seen about his person. Don’t even know what a sword is for, indeed. He would show his sister what he was made of. Upon reaching the training ground he spied Arianna, and also the twins sparring not far off. He almost dropped his weapon as he watched them move. And then Glyndr was here too… showing off magnificent stunts upon his war-horse. Faeringil sighed. Perhaps he had chosen the wrong moment to come and do some practice… Shrugging to himself he chinked over to Arianna, now in the company of the twins and Eadoin the human boy. He greeted them with a pleasant smile. “Good-day to you my lords, Arianna, Eadoin.” He then stood a little self-consciously, hand on his sword hilt.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 20, 2006 06:53
When Glyndr emerged from Rolan’s sickroom Lalaith could see the haunted look in his so-beautiful eyes and sense the several emotions filling his heart. She wanted to take him in her arms and hold him tightly, assure him of *her* hope for the tortured boy… but she didn’t… instead she just smiled comfortingly and didn’t say anything.

Lalaith my love”, he stroked her face with a fingertip, “ I must go to the stables, both Sylstar and I are in need of battle practice, come with me if you want”.

Glyndr smiled his half smile, “ Or perhaps you are needed elsewhere? Whatever you choose, I shall make certain that I will be back at our chambers this evening”.

“I won’t get in your way, my dear Glyndr,” she answered, holding his hand against her cheek and smiling into his eyes, “There are other tasks that need my attention… but I’ll be waiting for you when you come. Don’t push yourself or that stubborn horse of yours too hard!”

They went their separate ways, then, Lalaith once again offering her help to the healers. She worked there for a small bit of time and then returned to their chambers to work on the baby blanket. It was very lonely, though, and she kept thinking of how Glyndr had looked the *last* time he’d gone practicing. A wan smile touched her lips… he really was as bad as a tom-cat! She quickly decided that she’d best go make sure he didn’t get into a fight with anyone… so, setting the blanket aside she stood and left the room, one hand over her stomach. As she walked she wondered- would their two elfings have such a temper as their father? It wasn’t hard to imagine the two little ones constantly fighting over this toy or that toy, and the thought of Glyndr trying to intervene just made her smile. There was a new hope in her heart for the future… one way or another, she believed, their children would be born and grow beautifully.

When she came to the courtyard she found a fair crowd. There were Glyndr and Sylstar, of course, but there also were Elrond’s sons, Arianna and Eadoin… and Faeringirl, decked out in armor and looking quite ready to join in the battle practice. Lalaith was surprised to see Arianna there, as well as the scholar- and of course the twins. She supposed that she should be practicing with her own sword as well… and for a few minute she stood off from the group, one eye on her husband. He and his horse were moving as one, fighting off an invisible foe with movements as quick as lightning. Her dear captain seemed oblivious to anything else… but he was often that way when involved in training.

She approached the group, offering a smile in greeting.
“Good day to you all,” she said, and suddenly remembered that no one else yet knew the ‘news’- that she was pregnant, and with twins. A blush touched her cheeks unbidden and a secret smile crossed her lips. She’d have liked to shout it to the world… but there would come the time for such an announcement later. She didn’t doubt that the other elves could sense *something* different, anyway… and Arianna might very well guess. But, without mentioning it she went on, “It is a day for battle practice, I see…”

-------------------------------------------------------
Narmion wasn’t sure how long he’d slept, but when he opened his eyes the first thing he saw was Amata, curled up in a chair next to his bed, dozing. He smiled fondly, touched deeply that she’d remained with him. His thoughts went to Rolan… he hadn’t seen the boy since their arrival to Rivendell, and he hadn’t heard anything in quite some time. Sighing, he wished he were able to get up and walk over to check on him… but, even if he could get up without aid (not likely at that point) he’d need aid walking, because of the blasted mistreated leg. The thought of having to use a cane made him frown. Narmion had always been rather prideful... but, what did he have to complain about? At least he could see… poor Rolan’s eyes were ruined.

The elf’s eyes wandered over Amata’s face as she slept, and he admired her beauty. He’d always thought her beautiful, really… from their first meeting, when she (and Lalaith) had both been completely drenched. He himself had been hurt at the time- the first shoulder wound, the one received in the battle that had cost Celethain his life. Now here she was again, by his side. No one else but Glyndr had come- and he supposed he couldn’t blame them. He looked a mess, he was certain, and Rolan needed attention more… but, to have his loneliness stemmed was comforting.

Well Narmion thought, looking down at his bandaged self, I won’t regain any strength just lying here.

Since there were no healers to fuss at him, and Amata hadn’t stirred, he decided to get himself sitting up. With a pain-filled grunt he called his good arm into action, using it to push himself up. The other one he didn’t move- the shoulder still throbbed and he was afraid to use it. He then used his legs to scoot himself back- and finally, after several painful moments, he was sitting with his back resting against the headboard. Despite that it hurt, Narmion was incredibly satisfied to have moved himself- even a little. Relaxing, he looked at Amata again… and presently his thoughts wandered to the “orc” that had been in the tent. Hadn’t he heard someone mention a dwarf….?

When Amata’s eyes finally fluttered open he offered her a smile (feeling rather proud to have gotten himself sitting up), “Hello,” he said, and then, “Tell me, Amata… have you seen a dwarf in Imladris? Perhaps I dreamed it, but I seem to remember…”

--------------------------------------------------

Telryn halted the group close to the edge of the woodlands; he pushed his dark hair back, and looked intently ahead.
The soldier knew that there was a growing risk of increased enemy patrols, or lookouts as they drew nearer. So far they had been lucky.

“Dismount” he ordered, “We halt here, this is as far as we can safely go on horseback without the risk of being noticed” .

Telryn slid from his horse’s back and took his bow from the saddle.
“I will station two of you here with the horses, the others will come with me”. Telryn tried desperately hard to sound as confident and as commanding as his Captain –god.

“Bellas”, the young soldier turned to the smith, “From now on you will guide us to the camp, we will stop when we get close enough to assess the situation, and I will give further orders then”.

Telryn took a deep breath and pulled himself up to his full height .
He looked at the group as they dismounted and stood waiting for his command, it seemed still so unreal.

“You, and you” he pointed to two of the group, “You will stay here with the horses”.
Telryn turned to Bellas, “ Do you have anything to brief us on before we leave?”

“We’ll need to watch for patrols,” Bellas said seriously, “And move slowly, though I hate not to hurry… There are many, many orcs and men in the encampment, and if we somehow get captured I doubt we’ll have any chance of escaping. It’s large, and the tent where prisoners are held… and… and tortured,” he gulped at the thought of Neth enduring such treatment, “Is close to the center of the camp. The guard will be tighter and heavier… so, I don’t know how we’ll make it in… and, one more thing…”

He looked at Telyrn just as seriously.

“If you see a dwarven hammer… please pick it up and give it to me!”

(I'm so sorry I take so dang long... I hope this is ok)
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2006 04:28
Time seemed irrelevant as elf and horse worked with well practiced battle moves, and worked harder on new, seemingly impossible ones.

Always striving for perfection Glyndr moved a twist too far, the twinge in his back told the Captain that enough was enough for the moment.
The elf Captain slowed his warhorse to a walk allowing the sweating stallion to cool off before he returned to the stables.

Glyndr pushed his damp hair back out of his eyes, and for the first time in many minutes he took notice of the world around him again.

He noticed that Arianna and Eadoin stood with Elladan and Elrohir.
The Captain had not seen the twins in a very long while, but then he wouldn’t.
Military matters had kept him away .

Easing aching muscles, Glyndr slid from Sylstar’s broad back and cursed loudly as he landed a little unsteadily.
“I WILL be fully fit” he growled to himself angrily, “There is much to do here, and there is the threat of another attack”.
The frustrated elf kicked a stone flying, it ricocheted off a wall and decapitated a sunflower in a shower of yellow petals.
“I will NOT face the enemy with the strength and stamina of a half dead orc , with its arm chopped off and its head in a bucket!”

Glyndr was eager to discuss defence plans and tactics with Arianna and Arato, but thought it wiser not to interrupt the conversation, it seemed of a private nature, and besides the mood he was in now was not conducive to thinking clearly.

The elf made his way back to the stables; Sylstar following quietly for a change, Gyndr had worked him hard, he was tired.
Glyndr glanced back once at the training grounds and the group there.
The Captain smiled his inimitable half smile as he saw his Lalaith had joined them.
The smile grew, was it his imagination? Or could he see already a slight roundness curving his wife’s trim abdomen?

“Lalaith, my beautiful Lalaith” he thought,”What would I do without you beside me? Knowing you are there for me, and your eternal love gives me hope for the future, and the determination to fight for that future”.

Glyndr groomed, and settled Sylstar in his stall, receiving only a minor nip on his ear from the ungrateful stallion for his troubles.
The Captain left strict instructions with the lads as to feed and water, then left for his office.
There was that demonic paperwork to be done.

The Captain strode through the watchroom to his office at the far end; he pushed open the door with very little enthusiasm, and much annoyance.
Once inside, he went to a side room. Glyndr often stayed at his office overnight if work or training dictated it, He had everything he needed there.
Throwing his tunic over a chair, he poured cold water into a large bowl, he was hot, dusty and evil tempered , a wash in cold water might help to cool his temper.

It half worked, Glyndr walked back into the office and stood glaring at the parchment piled desk.
The elf sighed and sat at the offending desk; the piles of parchment neatly arranged and tidy as Telryn had left it.

Glyndr took up a quill and looked with boredom at the first sheet of parchment that was placed noticeably in the middle of the desk.
The Captain’s look of boredom became a dark frown.

“Damned cheeky little upstart!” Glyndr exploded as he read a list of instructions addressed to him, as to what to do first, what needed urgent attention, what to do with new requisition forms and in which order to sign parchments. All neatly written in Telryn’s immaculate handwriting.

“Telryn!” Glyndr screwed the instructions into a ball and threw it hard against the wall.
“Telryn, who in Arda do you think you are soldier? Telling ME what to do? Valar you are living dangerously!”

Glyndr snatched up one of the parchments from the neatly stacked piles, he stared at it blankly for a moment and bit his lip as he scanned the looming parchment mountains.
Telryn was right…there was a method to this madness.

He threw back his chair, and after scrabbling around under a table, he finally retrieved the ‘instructions’.
Seated back at his desk, Glyndr unravelled the screwed up parchment and flattened it on his desk.

“Telryn” he grumbled as he stabbed a paperknife into the parchment to stop it curling, “I could wring your scrawny neck!”

“Ouch!”
Telryn jumped and put his hand to his neck. It felt for all world as if someone had stabbed a sharp instrument in the back of his neck.

“Oh I’m sorry Bellas”, he smiled an embarrassed smile at Bellas,’ look of obvious bewilderment at his outburst , “Do go on”.

The young soldier listened as the smith spoke, his heartbeat quickening as Bellas described the layout of the camp and told of the number of orcs and men they were likely to encounter if they were unlucky.

Telryn swallowed hard, and tried to put on his most impressive impersonation of his Captain –god as he stood tall.
“Thank you Bellas” he said in his ‘Captain’ voice, “Now we know what we must face, we go fr….” Telryn stopped in mid sentence, “What?”
The soldier had just registered Bellas’ last comment.
“A dwarven hammer?” Telryn stared at Bellas for a moment in utter bemusement, all authoritative demeanour lost for a few seconds..“Ummm…er yes, of course I will”, he said quickly before regaining his composure.

“Check all weapons”, he said surprising even himself at the authority in his voice, “We leave here within the hour”.

The young Section leader stared again towards the hidden path they would take, his hand trembling slightly as he weighed his sword in his hand.
“Captain, I won’t fail you” he thought to his invincible idol, “ I will bring Neth back, and you will be proud of me Captain, I promise you on my life”.

OOC Sorry not a lot happening for Glyndy or Telryn in this posty… Just wanted to post something today LOL.
It can only get better!

Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2006 12:38
There was a long pause and Rolan heard Arato get up and pace back and forth. Then - "Rolan... I..." he sighed again. "I hate to tell you this, but you're blind. I guess they decided that you hadn't suffered enough and took out your eyes." Arato crossed back to the bed and sat down. "They went too far."

They. Who were they? He felt as if he should remember, but for some reason, it eluded his grasp. There was a blank space it seemed, where he was out on a wild horse, screaming defiance and then here... Too many questions and too few answers were present. Rolan steadied himself a little and wondered again at the pain he felt. Something of himself had been taken away, he knew, and regretfully wondered if he would ever have it back. From the tone of Arato's voice, though, came the question - Do I even want to?

It took a great effort of will to keep his voice calm and even; more effort than Rolan would have believed possible. But his voice did not shake, and it did not break to betray the confusion and turmoil withing. "Who were they?" Rolan asked. He paused, trying to recall anything - a face, a voice, a name. Nothing came to him at all. "Arato, please - what happened to me?" Narmion. The name came to him, and with it the feeling that Narmion had been with him during this. "What happened to us?" In that strange way of insignificant things standing out most, Rolan noted that his street-speech wasn't as pronounced as it usually was. Even the vowels he usually skipped came out close enough to right. If losin' my mem'ry's bringin' me t' havin' better speakin', mebbie I shoulds lose it more often. He couldn't know.

Eadoin frowned, thinking of Rolan. Quietly he slipped away from his brother and towards the three elves, appearing at Arianna's shoulder.

"Er... sorry to interrupt," he said by way of greeting, nodding respectfully to the twins. "I noticed you were wearing mail. Why?"

Faeringil sighed. Perhaps he had chosen the wrong moment to come and do some practice… Shrugging to himself he chinked over to Arianna, now in the company of the twins and Eadoin the human boy. He greeted them with a pleasant smile. “Good-day to you my lords, Arianna, Eadoin.” He then stood a little self-consciously, hand on his sword hilt.

Laliath approached the group, offering a smile in greeting.
“Good day to you all,” she said, and suddenly remembered that no one else yet knew the ‘news’- that she was pregnant, and with twins. A blush touched her cheeks unbidden and a secret smile crossed her lips. She’d have liked to shout it to the world… but there would come the time for such an announcement later. She didn’t doubt that the other elves could sense *something* different, anyway… and Arianna might very well guess. But, without mentioning it she went on, “It is a day for battle practice, I see…”

Ari smiled gently at Laliath and Eadoin. She had been too absorbed with the Twin's speaking and hadn't heard their approach. Silently she berated herself. "It's all right, Eadoin," she said, knowing Elladan would catch the hint from the human's name. She turned to Laliath, catching the small smile flitting across the Elf's face. Something was different about Glyndr's lady, Ari noticed. She let a gentle smile of her own answer before the conversation unfolding recalled her attention to the Twins and Eadoin.

"We were practicing," Elrohir said, somewhat sourly, to Arianna's thinking. His voice became condensending then. "We are wearing mail to keep from hurting each other." He spoke each word like Eadoin was a toddler or very slow at understanding.

Ari glared at him. "You don't have to be so - so -" she searched for a word that might let him know what she thought of him for talking down to Eadoin.

"So what?" Elrohir asked calmly.

Elladan put a warning hand on his twin's shoulder.

"So churlish," Ari answered.

Elrohir rolled his eyes a bit, but left when Elladan tugged on his arm. The Twins walked off a bit and chose an empty practice court to begin hacking and bashing at each other once again.

Ari turned to look at Eadoin. "I am sorry about Elrohir," she said with a sigh. "He just doesn't seem to understand that humans aren't as weak and contemptible as he thinks. Ever since that first battle and Rolan -" her throat closed for a moment and she swallowed a couple of times. "He's just been difficult with all of you lately," she concluded.

She looked at Faeringil who seemed slightly unnerved by the turn of events. She hadn't properly returned his greeting, had she? "Mae govannen," Ari offered to the scholar who seemed determined to turn warrior. He held a blade in his hands and was attired in chain mail that seemed slightly too big for him. His dark hair was tied back and a determined look burned in his eyes, even as the sword he carried set him a little off balance. What a picture the warrior-scholar made, Ari admitted to herself. She also was carrying a blade and wearing mail. Eadoin was not. Besides the point was the fact that he was a much better swordsman than she could ever hope to be. Perhaps Faeringil was closer to her experience.

"Eadoin," Ari said lightly, "maybe you'd like to get some practice in yourself. The three of us can switch on and off. That is," she paused, wondering if Fae would even want to spar with them. "If you don't mind, of course, Faeringil."

Ari gave Lalaith another smile. "Would you care to join us, perhaps?" she inquired, guessing that Laliath would refuse, but feeling like it was prudent to make the offer anyway.

He was bored. Very bored. Standing in a stall staring at a wall was all well and good for those horses who had never had the knowledge of how to open a stall door. He knew how to open a door. With a head-butt to the top of the stall door, Diablo opened it. The bottom half was the tricky part. After a few false tries, he managed to pull out the pin that held the door shut. Easily now, he pushed the door open and stepped out into the dim corridors. The stable door wasn't too far away. With brisk steps, Diablo approached the door, nudged it open and walked out into the bright sun. It took a moment for him to adjust to the brilliant light. After his eyes made the switch, the stallion snorted a few times for good measure and went trotting off in the direction of the House. He hoped he would find someone he knew along the way.

Luck was with him - as he passed the practice courts on his way to the House, Diablo spotted a few of his friends. He recognized Eadoin right away and then Arianna, though the third standing with them was a mystery to him. Always ready to investigate where he most likely wasn't wanted, Diablo jumped the fence and approached the three, whickering a hello to them. He'd been cooped up too long already and was in need of something interesting to do.

The third party was an Elf, Diablo noted right away. He wondered if the chain mail he was wearing tasted any good. The stallion attempted to chew on the stranger's shoulder and received a few grating noises and a slightly sore mouth instead of anything sweet. With a decisive snort that mail did not taste good, he backed off a bit, complaining to Ari that he hadn't had anything sweet in too long. Maybe Eadoin had something sweet in his pockets, Diablo decided. Right away he went to investigate.

EDIT: Edited to include Lalaith.

[Edited on 28/7/2006 by Salkiethia]
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2006 02:53
((It appears that Aiden has become the invisible man, no?))

"I guess that teaches me to address who I'm asking before I ask a question," Eadoin muttered, glaring at the elf's back as the twins walked away. "I was actually asking you, Ari, seeing as it's not attire I'm used to seeing you in. Why are you here?"

"It's something called observation, Eadoin," Aiden said, coming up behind his brother. "One, she's on the training grounds. Two, she's carrying a sword. Three, she's in mail, as you intelligently noticed. What would she be doing other than sparring? Standing here sweating?" Aiden handed his brother a sword and some mail.

"Wha...? Where'd you get these?" Eadoin asked.

"Pay attention, Eadoin," Aiden sighed. "I went to the armoury when you were occupied with gawking at the Twins. Since we're here, why not do something useful, like train?"

"Er... right." Eadoin shrugged into the mail and buckled his sword around his waist. "Why don't we all switch off every once and a while? I'll start with Aiden so you two can warm up - if you'd like to join us," he added to the elf who's name he didn't know. Little surprise there.

Suddenly, the presence of a large, black horse interuptted them. Diablo came straight for Eadoin after he had tried chewing on the elf's mail, probably looking for something sweet. Eadoin looked helplessly at his brother.

"Eadoin doesn't have anything, Dia," Aiden said, patting the black on the neck. "I've got sugar if you'd like some." He offered a few cubes to the horse from his pockets.

----------

"You don't remember what happened to you?" Arato asked in surprise. Secretly, he thanked the Valar for showing even that much mercy on Rolan. To have gone through that ordeal was bad enough, but to have remembered it would have broken any man, let alone a boy who had already suffered so much.

"The enemy captured you and Narmion during the battle. Apparently, they tortured you for eithe rinformation or pleasure." The dark haired man shrugged to show he didn't know, but realized that Rolan couldn't see him. "I don't know which, but here you are. They are apparently an elf, a dark-skinned man, my brother, and many, many orcs, or so says Eadoin. I'm actually not really sure."
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2006 03:23
[OOC: So sorry I haven’t been posting… Real Life. Uhrgh. This will probably be one of the crappiest posts I’ve done in ages. >< Is it too late to slip in? *sheepish grin*]

Istalë drifted in and out of a fitful sleep, made all the more unrestful by the pokily uncomfortable chair she had chosen to drop off in.

Ten sharp jabs from various parts of the hard wood later, the elleth gave up. She stretched, shaking out the little knots and cramps that seemed to have sprung up in the short time she had been asleep, and with one more look at Hanni on the bed – still snoring uproariously – Istalë left the room.

She was still tired, the few hours of rest she had just snatched making their inadequacy felt even now, but for some inane reason she did not feel like going to bed or doing anything falling remotely into that category. For one, it would probably confuse her body clock, she reasoned with herself, so she might as well rough the remainder of the day out.

Istalë meandered, looking for anywhere she might be needed, and her wanderings took her once more to the stableyard and the adjoining practice fields to find the small area quite cluttered for the second time today.

Her spirits rose just a little as she realised that at the centre of the group stood Elladan and Elrohir, both of them armed and dressed as for sparring. There were two of the Rohirrim lads, who, Istalë realised, were always around and about the stables anyway, Lalaith, and Arianna, and – the elleth’s eyebrows raised and the corner of her lip twitched vaguely upwards ever so slightly – Faeringil. For once, the scholar was decked out in too-large mail, and he was carrying a blade that looked just that little bit too heavy for him; she could see the beads of sweat that stood out on his pale brow, a testimony to the effort he had been exerting. And in the field beyond, Glyndr was putting his demon of a steed through its paces with deadly precision. Istalë could not help but admire the fluid grace of horse and rider, and the way both moved as one being, spirits of fire both.

As she descended the steps to join the group the captain dismounted, the graceful lines of his face hardened in cold fury and frustration, and made his way over, but to the elleth’s relief he skirted the group to enter the guardhouse. Istalë slipped down the last few steps, eager to speak with the twins now that it seemed they were opening up once more.

Just as Istalë reached the yard a large black *thing* cut across her line of vision to circle the group before stopping before Eadoin and nibbling at the man. She flinched a little, still rather wary of the large animal, and moved to stand unobtrusively beside Lalaith.
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 31, 2006 01:37
"Eadoin," Ari said lightly, "maybe you'd like to get some practice in yourself. The three of us can switch on and off. That is," she paused, wondering if Fae would even want to spar with them. "If you don't mind, of course, Faeringil."

He shook his head. “I came here to spar, so… the arrangement is perfectly agreeable to me.” He glanced around a little nervously, a little disappointed that so many people were near by. He would have preferred to practice for a short while before daring to do anything in public. After all, he hadn’t touched a sword in years. Faeringil had once been a very impressive swordsman, but now that was all in the past, and he just felt stupid standing here in the chain mail and holding the sword… which seemed heavier than he remembered it to be. He sighed, and turned away when something suddenly bounded towards him and tried to eat his shoulder. He stared at the huge black horse, momentarily too scared to run away. When Diablo seemed to be dissatisfied with his shoulder, he moved onto Eadoin, leaving Faeringil to smother a gasp of relief.
He turned back to Arianna and Eadoin, feeling even more self-conscious. He shouldn’t have come out here… he was only going to make a fool of himself. “Well, shall we start?”

Amata shifted herself into a more upright position, her body protesting as several parts of her seemed to be aching. She returned his smile readily with a surprised and happy one of her own. Narmion was sitting up! And he had managed it without any help… for the room was deserted – save for themselves.

When Amata’s eyes finally fluttered open he offered her a smile (feeling rather proud to have gotten himself sitting up), “Hello,” he said, and then, “Tell me, Amata… have you seen a dwarf in Imladris? Perhaps I dreamed it, but I seem to remember…”

A dwarf? Yes, she had seen a dwarf. “Hanni,” she mumbled before glancing back at Narmion. “Yes, there is a dwarf here – it was no dream. Hanni is a fearsome fighter, and…” she smiled. “Well, she’s just… you’ll have to wait until you see her, I suppose,” she gave up trying to describe the dwarf’s nature. And after all, she hadn’t actually spoken to Hanni yet. But then suddenly a thought struck her. She hadn’t seen Hanni since the rescue party had left. Her expression changed and she switched her eyes back to Narmion. “Why, did you see her in the camp?”

[Edited on 31/7/2006 by anduril269]
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 02, 2006 03:36
Ari smiled gently at Laliath and Eadoin. She had been too absorbed with the Twin's speaking and hadn't heard their approach. Silently she berated herself. "It's all right, Eadoin," she said,. She turned to Laliath, catching the small smile flitting across the Elf's face. She let a gentle smile of her own answer before the conversation unfolding recalled her attention to the Twins and Eadoin.

"We were practicing," Elrohir said, somewhat sourly, to Arianna's thinking. His voice became condensending then. "We are wearing mail to keep from hurting each other." He spoke each word like Eadoin was a toddler or very slow at understanding.

Ari glared at him. "You don't have to be so - so -" she searched for a word that might let him know what she thought of him for talking down to Eadoin.

"So what?" Elrohir asked calmly.

Elladan put a warning hand on his twin's shoulder.

"So churlish," Ari answered.

Elrohir rolled his eyes a bit, but left when Elladan tugged on his arm. The Twins walked off a bit and chose an empty practice court to begin hacking and bashing at each other once again.

Ari turned to look at Eadoin. "I am sorry about Elrohir," she said with a sigh. "He just doesn't seem to understand that humans aren't as weak and contemptible as he thinks. Ever since that first battle and Rolan -" her throat closed for a moment and she swallowed a couple of times. "He's just been difficult with all of you lately," she concluded.

She looked at Faeringil who seemed slightly unnerved by the turn of events. She hadn't properly returned his greeting, had she? "Mae govannen," Ari offered to the scholar who seemed determined to turn warrior. He held a blade in his hands and was attired in chain mail that seemed slightly too big for him. His dark hair was tied back and a determined look burned in his eyes, even as the sword he carried set him a little off balance. What a picture the warrior-scholar made, Ari admitted to herself. She also was carrying a blade and wearing mail. Eadoin was not. Besides the point was the fact that he was a much better swordsman than she could ever hope to be. Perhaps Faeringil was closer to her experience.

Ari gave Lalaith another smile. "Would you care to join us, perhaps?" she inquired, guessing that Laliath would refuse, but feeling like it was prudent to make the offer anyway.

“No, that’s quite alright,” Lalaith said, “I probably should practice, but I think I will wait for another day.”
She was a little unsettled over Elrohir’s reaction to Eadoin’s question, but mostly she was thinking of Glyndr. He’d finally finished practicing and gone off, probably to his office to grumble and mumble and tend to the boring duties there. Lalaith was convinced he spent far too much time in the stuffy little room, and she was planning on going and interrupting his work as soon as she’d spoken with her friends a little further. Her husband had too much on his mind already… there were pleasant things to discuss so that they could forget the worrisome things. For one, she wanted to know when he planned on announcing that he was a father-to-be. It was indeed amusing to think of the reaction that others would have to the idea of two ‘little Glyndr’s’ running around Imladris. That would be, of course, if Imladris remained standing…. And she felt her happy feelings diminishing again.

“I guess that teaches me to address who I'm asking before I ask a question," Eadoin muttered, glaring at the elf's back as the twins walked away. "I was actually asking you, Ari, seeing as it's not attire I'm used to seeing you in. Why are you here?"

"It's something called observation, Eadoin," Aiden said, coming up behind his brother. "One, she's on the training grounds. Two, she's carrying a sword. Three, she's in mail, as you intelligently noticed. What would she be doing other than sparring? Standing here sweating?" Aiden handed his brother a sword and some mail.

"Wha...? Where'd you get these?" Eadoin asked.

"Pay attention, Eadoin," Aiden sighed. "I went to the armoury when you were occupied with gawking at the Twins. Since we're here, why not do something useful, like train?"

"Er... right." Eadoin shrugged into the mail and buckled his sword around his waist. "Why don't we all switch off every once and a while? I'll start with Aiden so you two can warm up - if you'd like to join us," he added to the elf who's name he didn't know. Little surprise there.

Fae shook his head. “I came here to spar, so… the arrangement is perfectly agreeable to me.” He glanced around a little nervously, a little disappointed that so many people were near by.

Suddenly, the presence of a large, black horse interuptted them. Diablo came straight for Eadoin after he had tried chewing on the elf's mail, probably looking for something sweet. Eadoin looked helplessly at his brother.

"Eadoin doesn't have anything, Dia," Aiden said, patting the black on the neck. "I've got sugar if you'd like some." He offered a few cubes to the horse from his pockets.

Lalaith shook her head, thinking Diablo perfectly silly. She’d never seen another horse who could speak so clearly without words, and she smiled in amusement at the way he more-or-less ‘demanded’ attention from those standing around. The elleth turned to Istale who’d come up beside her and greeted her, noticing that she looked very tired.

“Did you come to practice?” she asked, “Or just to watch the others? I’m certain that I should take up the sword myself, but I’m not prepared at the moment. Are you alright? You look tired…”

She shared an amused glance with the elleth over Faergril, who neither of them had ever seen dressed so- at least, not in the last *several* years. Lalaith was wondering what Amata would think of it, should she see her brother out sparring…

-----------------------------

Amata shifted herself into a more upright position, her body protesting as several parts of her seemed to be aching. She returned his smile readily with a surprised and happy one of her own.

. “Hanni,” she mumbled before glancing back at Narmion. “Yes, there is a dwarf here – it was no dream. Hanni is a fearsome fighter, and…” she smiled. “Well, she’s just… you’ll have to wait until you see her, I suppose,” she gave up trying to describe the dwarf’s nature. And after all, she hadn’t actually spoken to Hanni yet. But then suddenly a thought struck her. She hadn’t seen Hanni since the rescue party had left. Her expression changed and she switched her eyes back to Narmion. “Why, did you see her in the camp?”

“I think so,” he replied, “A very odd-looking orc, anyway… and I seem to remember Glyndr speaking to him-her?- in the tent before Diablo bore me out of the camp. It’s all very confused in my memory from that point on… but it seemed strange to me. Dwarves in Imladris.”

He lapsed into silence and his smile diminished at recalling the tent at all- and of course Amata didn’t know what ‘the tent’ was, though she probably guessed. The dark lair of an evil tormentor- Di’Shan- where the very air smelled of fear and death. Gods, would he ever be able to forget? An involuntary shudder shook him and he cleared his throat, trying to push the dark thoughts away. It didn’t work.

“Have you heard how Rolan is faring?” he asked, his mind going at once to the boy who had shared in his pain- who he’d ‘given’ to their torturer, “I’ve not heard a thing for what seems a terribly long time... I’m worried for him.”

----------------------------------------------------

“Oh I’m sorry Bellas”, he smiled an embarrassed smile at Bellas,’ look of obvious bewilderment at his outburst , “Do go on”.

The young soldier listened as the smith spoke, his heartbeat quickening as Bellas described the layout of the camp and told of the number of orcs and men they were likely to encounter if they were unlucky.

Telryn swallowed hard, and tried to put on his most impressive impersonation of his Captain –god as he stood tall.
“Thank you Bellas” he said in his ‘Captain’ voice, “Now we know what we must face, we go fr….” Telryn stopped in mid sentence, “What?”
The soldier had just registered Bellas’ last comment.
“A dwarven hammer?” Telryn stared at Bellas for a moment in utter bemusement, all authoritative demeanour lost for a few seconds..“Ummm…er yes, of course I will”, he said quickly before regaining his composure.

“Check all weapons”, he said surprising even himself at the authority in his voice, “We leave here within the hour”.

The young Section leader stared again towards the hidden path they would take, his hand trembling slightly as he weighed his sword in his hand.

Bellas could sense Telyrn’s unease as he checked his own weapons. He’d been sure to bring his sword this time- he wouldn’t be caught battling orcs with naught but a dagger and stones again!- and several knives as well. His own hands were trembling too, but not with fear of the danger ahead. He was wondering what evils had befallen Neth by now- his Neth, as he was thinking of her. Surely she would be treated as badly as Narmion, because she was an elf… and worse, because she was an elleth. It mad him nauseous to think of what horrible things she might have already endured at the hands of the one who had hurt the other captives. He wanted to find her, bring her home, care for her like the friend he was supposed to be. He had the secret wish to be more… but, for now, his only concern was rescuing her.

An hour before they would leave the horses behind? The smith sat down and closed his eyes, trying to calm his nerves. To infiltrate the enemy encampment would be nearly impossible… it was *very* possible that they would become captives themselves in the attempt. But, he was willing to risk everything… even himself… to see the elleth of his heart safely to Imladris.

(no Delvan, again *hides* sorry! Hope this is ok!)
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2006 04:41
OOc// Eh, took forever to actually post a reply... Hopefully this will give most people something to do.

Diablo eagerly dove into the suger Aiden offered him. It was good sugar, not like that funny tasting brown stuff that Rodwin liked to give to him. That stuff tasted very odd. He thanked the man-colt with a firm nudge to his shoulder and then flicked his tail as he pranced off, in search of something exciting to do. Maybe train a few colts, or something, thought that wasn't precisely exciting work. It was more like - well, work. And, instead of work, the black stallion was determined to find something interesting to do. His eye caught sight of Glyndr and Sylstar, the pair of them glowing in the sun with the light shimmering through the sweat beading on the Elf's brow and illuminating the shining hide of his warhorse. Diablo took off at a dead run, shooting like a black bolt of lightning towards the pair of them. They were a few courts away now, their backs towards him. He leapt over the fence between them and jumped forward. The sudden movement put him right in front of Sylstar. The warhorse looked startled and Diablo reared onto his back legs and took a small hop forward, his front legs warding the grey horse off. Challenge.

"You don't remember what happened to you?" Arato asked in surprise. Secretly, he thanked the Valar for showing even that much mercy on Rolan. To have gone through that ordeal was bad enough, but to have remembered it would have broken any man, let alone a boy who had already suffered so much.

"Not a thing," Rolan said. "I wish I knew though," he added, nearly inaudibly.

"The enemy captured you and Narmion during the battle. Apparently, they tortured you for eithe rinformation or pleasure." The dark haired man shrugged to show he didn't know, but realized that Rolan couldn't see him. "I don't know which, but here you are. They are apparently an elf, a dark-skinned man, my brother, and many, many orcs, or so says Eadoin. I'm actually not really sure."

Rolan frowned a little. "An Elf?" he asked skeptically. "Are ye sure it wasn't jes a really good-lookin' Gondor-man? Them orcs are - wait; your brother was there? I didn't know ye had a brother, apart from Aiden an; Eadoin, that is." He tried to pull a name up, but nothing came. "Who's this brother of yers?" the boy inquired curiously. "Nah - wait to tell me. I wanna get up and stretch my legs. They're gettin' all cramped like this." They weren't really, but Rolan wanted to get up and move. It felt wrong to be sitting still and just talking. He needed to be doing something physical, whether it be stretching his legs, swinging a sword or cleaning dishes.

He swung his legs to one side, wondering if that was the side of the bed with the wall or not. It was. Ouch. Rubbing a hand on the leg that had contacted the wall, Rolan swung his legs the other direction, and slid down until his feet hit the floor. He stood shakily, trying to remember the layout of the Halls of Healing. Left, left, right? Or is it left, right, right? Ah, doesn' matter t' me. Jest keep walkin' untils I walks right into a wall, or sommat. "'Ere, tell me 'bout this brother yourn on the way, kay?" he said to Arato as he took a few wobbly steps foward. So far, so good. No wall yet, anyway. This was promising to be quite the interesting adventure, indeed. "Wanna race? I'll bet I can beatcha up t' the stables!"

Eadoin shrugged into the mail and buckled his sword around his waist. "Why don't we all switch off every once and a while? I'll start with Aiden so you two can warm up - if you'd like to join us," he added to the elf who's name he didn't know. Little surprise there.

Fae shook his head. “I came here to spar, so… the arrangement is perfectly agreeable to me.” He glanced around a little nervously, a little disappointed that so many people were near by.

"I think that would be good, Eadoin," Ari said, carefully avoiding looking at Faeringil. He seemed to be very tense for some reason. She wondered if this was the first time he'd ever been on the practice courts before. Then she thought again. Elves might not consider themselves to be a warrior race, but they saw fighting frequently enough that every Elf trained on courts at least once in a lifetime. She carefully adjusted her grip on the sword that was still tucked away in its scabbard. "After all," she added as playful banter, smiling at the humans, "you'll need to be really ready before you even think of facing the all-powerful Elven warriors Arianna and Faeringil, won't you?"

Ari indicated with her head to Fae that they should take the abandoned practice court that the Twins had been using earlier before Elrohir's biting remarks to Eadoin. She still couldn't believe he was so shallow. It wasn't as if the humans were to blame for any of this, after all. And they were helping, unlike some Elves she could name who only tried to pretend that the threat did not exist and that their lives were as peaceful as ever. Those were the ones who deserved an awakening call to duty, not Eadoin, nor any other of the humans at Imladris.

As she stepped into the outline of the circle with her practice sword drawn, Ari wondered if this was what real warriors, with live steel blades, felt like. Her blade was steel, but the edge was blunt. She didn't have the power to drive this blunt blade through anyone, though if both combatants weren't careful, someone could get a nasty concussion from it. She swung the sword a couple of times, just to get the feel of it and then grimly pulled her helmet on. She hated the thing. It restricted her view too much for her comfort, but none of the other helms fit correctly. The ones with the nose pieces that extended down and jaw protectors were all either too big and slipped around or were to small to fit on her head at all. She didn't want to think about what sort of warrior wore those. Young warriors - children.

The goal of the circle was to force the other combatant out of it first. Ari looked down at the line chalked as the border, then up, across the ring at her soon-to-be-foe. It's time to see what we're made of, Ari thought to herself. And to hope that what we can do will defeat anything they can muster.

Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2006 07:35
Rolan frowned a little. "An Elf?" he asked skeptically. "Are ye sure it wasn't jes a really good-lookin' Gondor-man? Them orcs are - wait; your brother was there? I didn't know ye had a brother, apart from Aiden an' Eadoin, that is."

"As I've said, I don't know if it is an elf or not," Arato said. Rolan swung his legs into the wall as he attempted to stand up, causing Arato to cringe. As Rolan took a few wobbly, Arato reached out and gently took hold of his elbow. "Keep going that way and you'll walk into a wall," he said, steering Rolan away from the wall and towards the doorway. Once out of the Halls of the Healing, they were in open hallway, so Arato turned Rolan in the right direction and let go of him.

"Aiden and Eadoin aren't really my brothers. I mean, they are, but we're not related by blood. The man I'm speaking of is actually related to me by blood. Keene is the only one who knows he exists. We haven't seen each other in nearly 16 years." Arato sighed. "His name is Morgai."

----------

"Should we find another court?" Eadoin asked. Aiden shook his head.

"Here's just fine," Aiden replied, drawing his sword and waiting for his brother to do the same. Almost as soon as Eadoin's weapon cleared the scabbard, Aiden swung at his brother, who brought his sword up sloppily to block the blow.

"I wasn't ready!" Eadoin growled at his brother, sweeping the sword away.

"Tell that to an orc and see what happens." Aiden sprang at him again, driving Eadoin back as the younger man struggled to get his sword between his body and his brother's blade each time. Aiden managed to land a few strikes to the mail his brother was wearing before Eadoin started to strike back.

The match wound up with Aiden on his behind outside the ring, looking up in surprise. Eadoin helped him to his feet.

"I wasn't expecting that," Aiden admitted.

"You see if you can hold your temper when you're having trouble blocking a sword and feeling the sting of a few bruises," Eadoin returned, stepping back into the ring and waiting for his brother to get ready before attacking him.
<< First56789
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email