Register

<< First45678Last >>
Author Topic:
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Ever After (Keeper!)
on: June 07, 2006 01:02
Bellas saw the hurried pursuit being thrown together and cringed, not knowing if he should ready the horses or not. They needed to escape, but what were the chances of moving fast enough to out-run that mess of orcs and men?
When he spotted Hanni tossing rocks he understood, and moved as close to the camp as he dared. Doing his best to stay hidden (and ignoring the discomfort of the wound on his arm) he began hurling stones in the other direction, whacking a few orcs on the head and getting things stirred up.

He didn’t go to ready the horses- instead he remained where he was until Glyndr and the others arrived, then followed them deeper into the Forest. Hanni was absent, back in the camp causing trouble- this worried him. If they had to make a last-minute flight (which would most definitely happen) they wouldn’t be able to go back to search for her- and with her disguised as an orc it would be difficult to find here even if they *could*. He just hoped she’d be able to sneak away unharmed..

“Follow me”, the Captain hissed as he leapt a fallen log and moved easily into the undergrowth, “We cannot hope to reach the horses without being caught” he called back quietly, “ Again secrecy must be our weapon”.
Glyndr was acutely aware that the tracking enemy were very close now the thought concerned him greatly.

Always looking back to see that the others were close behind him, Glyndr led them deeper into the forest, where the undergrowth afforded them more cover.
“Keep hidden, and silence, until Valar willing the danger is past, Wait for my signal before we move”, he commanded.

The Captain looked at the others with an intense blue stare, “If any of you should be discovered, I will promise you I shall be there, and do all that I can to help”.
The look became deeper., “I do not expect any of you to do the same, the choice is yours alone. Survival is what counts. Now hide”.

Bellas made no answer, but hid himself between two bushes, keeping an eye on the others so he’d know where they would be. Then he sat in silence, perfectly still as he waited. Each second that ticked by seemed agonizingly slow, and when several noisy figures came crashing through the woods his heart leapt into his throat. He held his breath and watched from his hiding spot as several dark shapes on horseback passed, grumbling and cursing. More came behind, orcs that peered this way and that as they searched. On impulse the smith gripped the dagger at his belt, expecting one of the men or orcs to look his way at any moment and see him through the bushes. His mind raced over many thoughts- he was still worried for Neth and now the dwarf, and the glimpse he’d caught of the liberated captives still haunted his memory. Mostly he was worried about being discovered along with his comrades- no doubt that death, or worse, would await them if such a chance befell.

Delvan had circled with his horse two or three times and hadn’t seen a single thing- he was becoming annoyed. The idiots under him had no better luck, and the man became enraged at the thought of anyone making it into their camp and out again. What had happened to the stupid orcs guarding the tent? And why had no one noticed what was happening sooner? The celebration had been a bad idea- things had become less ordered and the blasted elves had taken their chance.
Imagining how angry Ondet would be, and somehow blaming everyone but himself, the Second dismounted and left his horse to go into a thicker part of the woods. On foot he moved swiftly, looking this way and that. As he passed one area he thought he heard something and stopped, listening. Yes, there it was- the unmistakable sound of someone afraid, trying hard not to breathe loud enough to be heard but failing miserably. A dark smile crept over Delvan’s face and he slowly drew his sword from its sheath, turning toward the sound.

“Come out, little rabbit,” he said smoothly, stepping toward the shadows, “Stop hiding like a coward, and meet your death head-on!”

There was a sudden crashing as of someone bursting from the undergrowth- but it came from behind. Whirling around, Delvan only had time to make out that a dark-haired elf was flying right at him before he was nearly knocked over. Cursing loudly he regained his feet and stood off, observing his opponent. He was an elf with dark hair and piercing blue eyes that were full of wrath; for a moment the mortal warrior felt intimidated, but the feeling quickly passed. A chuckle escaped him and he tensed with the sword.

“Good,” he said, “My sword has been longing to taste the blood of another elf!”

Bloodlust was filling all of his thoughts as he made the obvious cruel reference to the many Imladris elves already slaughtered, wanting to push his enemy's buttons. With a cry he lunged, attacking with full force with the intent to kill mercilessly..

(I’m leaving Narmion and Lalaith alone for now… let me know if I need to edit this... a note: it can be eadoin or arato hiding in the bushes if you'd like, Nimmy )

Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2006 02:38
Eadoin crouched as low in the bushes as he could, trying to hid the light color of his hair so he wouldn't be noticed. Diablo had left the area, so for now, Rolan and Narmion were safe. They, however, were not.

Eadoin found himself trembling and trying to keep his breathing under control. Arato, pressed against a tree a little further back, was watching his brother as carefully as his position would allow. He hoped that, if discovered, Eadoin wouldn't freeze up and cause himself to get injured.

Suddenly, one of their pursuers came into sight. Arato froze in sudden fear for his brother, noticing how loud Eadoin's breathing was in the night. Their pursuer apparently noticed that too, because he turned towards the bushes.

“Come out, little rabbit,” he said smoothly, stepping toward the shadows, “Stop hiding like a coward, and meet your death head-on!”

Arato prepared to step out to keep his brother safe, only someone else beat him to it, flying at the man from the shadows. When the movement finally stopped, Arato breathed a sigh of relief - it was Glyndr.

----------

"The prisoners we were keeping have escaped," Morgai growled, rounding angrily on Neth and slamming her back against the tree she had been hiding in. "We needed them!"

In his anger, he had forgotten that he had been trying to keep a facade of innocence up for Neth. He almost put it back in place, but decided that it didn't matter so much now.

"Were you sent here to scout out our camp, to see which was was the easiest to penetrate?" he hissed in her face. "Did you have *anything* to do with this?"

((Ooh, angry Morgai - Neth beware...))
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2006 04:48
Neth's head and back struck the tree hard when Morgai slammed her backwards. It took her a moment to regain both her senses and her breath and she managed to only choke out, "Morgai, stop," before he got in her face.

"Were you sent here to scout out our camp, to see which was was the easiest to penetrate?" he hissed in her face. "Did you have *anything* to do with this?"

"No, Morgai, I had nothing to do with this. I handed you two of my weapons earlier and turned my back to you. I trusted you not to put a blade in my back, and I asked you to trust me." She swallowed hard. "Why would I have come back here, to this clearing, if I had anything to do with this? Why, Morgai? That would be a death wish on my part and at this precise moment..." she wriggled a bit to get away from a sharp piece of bark that was stabbing her in the back "...I have no such wish."

She stared up into his angry eyes and said softly, "I meant what I said earlier. Imladris is no longer my home, and I no longer care what happens to her, or the elves that remain there."

Neth took a deep breath and said, "My name is Nethraueth of Imladris, and I commanded the third battalion of elven soldiers that left Imladris to perform sweeps of the area villages. We were engaged in battle several times, and were pinned down during the time that Lord Elrond was killed. I suffered a great loss of my entire battalion, and I returned to Imladris, and found it not the same place it once was. It is no longer my home. I choose instead to join you, your master and the army he commands."

She looked deep into his eyes not blinking, and said, "Now, you have a choice, Morgai. Trust me, and help me, or kill me right now with one of your blades. Whichever you chose, do it quickly. This tree is not exactly comfortable to be pressed into."

She then held up her hands and said, "But if you kill me, I wish to be unarmed at the time." With that she dropped her hands to her buckle and unfastened it, letting her weapons fall again to the ground at Morgai's feet. Her hands then returned to their original position, held out at her sides.

Sapphire eyes burned into deep brown ones as she awaited his answer.

[Edited on 8/6/2006 by Iell-daughter-of-elves]
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2006 08:32
Laying low, flat on his stomach beneath a fallen tree, Glyndr watched for the enemy.
His elven senses heightened, his muscles as tense as a hunted animal. The elf waited.

The Captain moved imperceptibly, cursing as vicious bramble thorns clawed at his back and stomach, His tunic he had wrapped around Rolan’s frail, abused body before Diablo had borne them, a flying angel, to freedom.

Glyndr was relieved that both Narmion and Rolan were now away from this place of evil.
The Captain had now to get the rest of the group to safety. To the horses.
A safety that was so near, yet now in this situation they found themselves in ,was so far away .
The Captain accounted for all the group in their hiding places. All that was , except Hanni.
Glyndr had not seen the dwarf since the tent. He was vaguely aware of Hanni saying something to him before they fled.
Now she was not with them. Glyndr was concerned.
First Neth’s disappearance, now the dwarf.

The thoughts and thorns just served to fuel the already bottled up, seething anger that burned in his soul.

“Come out little rabbit”.

Glyndr turned sharply towards the sound. One of those damned humans moved too close, too threateningly towards where he knew Eadoin lay hidden.

In one powerful cat like leap, the Captain flew at the man, knocking him back.

“ Take care rat, not only rabbits lie hidden in the ferns” Glyndr hissed, his eyes burning with pure hatred, and an uncontrollable anger. Glyndr wanted this foul creature dead.

Dead, for all the pain, all the suffering he and his puny mortal kind had inflicted on Narmion and Rolan.

The elf Captain drew back , as the man recovered to his feet, his unblinking glare fixed on the man’s eyes.
Glyndr had no sword, he had left it on Sylstar’s saddle, He had three daggers, and a hatred powerful enough to stand against any weapon the mortal could wield at him.

Delvan lunged forward with a cry, Glyndr leapt to meet him head on.
The elf ducked and twisted sideways, narrowly avoiding the lethal blade.
With an agile move , he twisted back , a slender blade held in both hands he brought it down hard on the man’s sword hand to make him drop the sword.
Glyndr kicked the sword across the ground. It flew clattering over the rocks.

“Now , let us see how good you are human” , the elf growled , his voice low and threatening, held all the hatred he felt.
Half maddened by that hatred, Glyndr flew at Delvan again , with a vicious punch, then held him by the throat in a deadly grip, pushing the man back hard against a tree..

“ This is for all those innocents”, Glyndr’s slender fingers tightened slowly around Delvan’s neck, “This is is for all those of my race that you slaughtered”
The grip tightened further, “What does it feel like mortal? What does staring death in the face feel like?” he snarled, the ice cold, indigo hued eyes flashed dangerously.

The Captain shook the man, “ Now you will know exactly how your victims felt”.

OOC DD, Please let me know if you are not happy with this and I’ll edit!
Good luck Delvan!

dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 09, 2006 10:22
Delvan lunged forward with a cry, Glyndr leapt to meet him head on.
The elf ducked and twisted sideways, narrowly avoiding the lethal blade.
With an agile move , he twisted back , a slender blade held in both hands he brought it down hard on the man’s sword hand to make him drop the sword.
Glyndr kicked the sword across the ground. It flew clattering over the rocks.

“Now , let us see how good you are human” , the elf growled , his voice low and threatening, held all the hatred he felt.
Half maddened by that hatred, Glyndr flew at Delvan again , with a vicious punch, then held him by the throat in a deadly grip, pushing the man back hard against a tree..

Delvan growled when the elf avoided his blade, and when a dagger came out of nowhere into his sword-hand he gave a loud curse. He dropped his trusted weapon and the elf kicked it out of reach. Before the man could regain his feet his enemy came on again, delivering a painful punch- and the next thing the Second knew he was slammed against a tree, the impact making his head pound. The grip on his throat was like iron, and his lips curled back into an almost animal like snarl- no one treated him like this!!

“ This is for all those innocents”, Glyndr’s slender fingers tightened slowly around Delvan’s neck, “This is is for all those of my race that you slaughtered”
The grip tightened further, “What does it feel like mortal? What does staring death in the face feel like?” he snarled, the ice cold, indigo hued eyes flashed dangerously.

The Captain shook the man, “ Now you will know exactly how your victims felt”.

“I don’t feel fear!” Delvan rasped against the hold on his throat, and calling on all his strength he grabbed the elf’s arm and twisted, taking a deep breath as the long fingers left his neck. Before Glyndr could react the man brought his other arm up and slammed his gauntleted forearm into his adversary’s head as hard as he could. His hand was stinging and throbbing- there was a nasty gash in it- but he’d been trained to ignore such pain. Drawing out his own dagger he lashed out again, but only managing to catch the dodging elf across the shoulder instead of in his heart.

“Do you have a family?” he taunted gruffly as he grappled with the elf then, trying to force him to drop his weapons, “After you’re dead I’ll see to them! Your stinking race will be gone from the face of Middle-Earth!”

For the next several minutes they tore at eachother like a couple of tom-cats, Delvan becoming more infuriated by the moment at having met his match. One moment he had the upper hand and was certain he’d be the victor- the next he’d be trying to just avoid being killed, unable to get a hit in himself. Suddenly a horn sounded back in the camp- a summons for all soldiers to return. The warrior ignored it, determined to see the blasted elf dead before leaving the fight- he had gained the advantage again and was so close to driving his blade into the elf’s heart! – but the horn sounded again, and Glyndr shoved him off. Tired and annoyed, Delvan stood off, preparing to attack once more- when someone else emerged from the bushes. A man with dark hair, bearing a striking resemblance to Morgai… but the sword in his hands was more important. Delvan grunted in annoyance- he knew he couldn’t win against two… so, stepping back, hed held his dagger at arms length. A blade-wound in his side was aching terribly, and he could feel the warmth of the blood that had seeped from it creeping into his shirt.

“Run,” he commanded them, chest heaving, “Take your ruined friends back home- we’ve gotten all we need from them! But We’ll meet again, and I promise next time you will die!”

He turned his back and crashed through the bushes, hurrying to his horse lest his opponent would attack him from behind, and then mounted. He was angry as he headed back for the camp. Ondet had commanded the horn to be sounded, obviously- had he decided to let the trespassers get away freely? True, they had all the information they needed- and the impudent elves would meet their deaths eventually- but it gnawed at Delvan’s pride to leave a fight without vanquishing anyone.

When he arrived back to camp his eyes widened. Several tents had been burned to nothing… the fires were still being worked down… the horses were gone… dead orcs were scattered here and there. The man cursed under his breath- their trespassing friends had caused this much damage, and they were being allowed to escape?! Grumbling he dismounted and went to find Ondet, wanting to know what he intended on doing about all of it…

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Narmion continued to fade in and out of consciousness, trying when he could to assure Rolan that he was near, and trusting Diablo to take them to safety. Through the intense pain of riding he’d mostly just gone into a numb stupor, trying to ignore everything in the agonizingly slow-passing moments until he could just lie still and go to sleep.

-------------------------------------------------------

Lalaith had taken to pacing in the healing room with Istale and Amata, becoming more worried by the moment. Where was her husband? Why wasn’t he back? The fear that he’d been captured or killed was heavy on her heart and mind, and it took all she had not to break down into tears. Finally she sat on the bed and rubbed her hands together nervously.

“Why don’t they come?”” she asked, though she knew that neither of the women could answer her…

-----------------------------------

Bellas wasn’t close enough to see well the fight with Glyndr and Delvan- and though he felt that he should intervene, he knew his one dagger wouldn’t be much aid. So he waited, preparing to make a run for it if he had to- but things took a turn for the better… not until the man had ridden off did Bellas emerge, going over to where Glyndr and Arato stood.

“Are you alright? What is our next move?” he asked, “Do we leave for Imladris without the dwarf?”

(lemme know if anything needs editing... )

[Edited on 9/6/2006 by dreamdancer]
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2006 11:36
Growling, Morgai threw Neth to the ground beside him and glared at her.

"I will believe you - for now," he snarled at her. "But if I find any evidence that leads me to believe otherwise..." He let the threat hang and began to pace back and forth angrily. "The master will not be happy."

At that moment, as if hearing what Morgai said, the honr Ondet kept to call the soldiers back to camp sounded. Cursing under his breath at his bad luck, Morgai lifted Neth to her feet and became strangely gentle towards her. He placed his hands on her waist.

"I will try to keep anything from happening to you in there," he whispered to her, leaning forward and kissing her on the lips. He heard someone coming and pulled away, becoming violent-tempered once again. He grabbed Neth's arm and dragged her towards the camp, pausing only to scoop up her weapons and sling them over one shoulder.

"Sir!" one of the soldiers said, crashing through the underbrush. "No sign of the... what?" he stared at Neth. Morgai glared at him.

"You weren't looking hard enough." The entered the camp and began the trek through to Ondet's tent.

----------

Arato had watched Glyndr fight the man for several minutes. Those minutes dragged like hours as he prayed silently that the battle wouldn't be discovered and their cover blown. Finally, Arato had enough.

"We have to end this," he whispered, drawing his sword. He stepped from his hiding spot and advanced on them. The man disengaged a moment after noticing him and began back to camp after a blast from a horn in that direction. Arato breathed a sigh of relief as he left and turned to the captain.

EDIT: Ooops. Iell pointed out something that I missed, so I fixed it.

[Edited on 9/6/06 by Nimeneth]
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2006 12:04
When Neth hit the ground, her normal first instinct would have been to grab for her weapons laying on the ground, but she didn't. She half lay, half sat there, watching Morgai begin to pace, not knowing what to say to him to get him to calm down.

When the horn sounded, she jumped. She wasn't sure what was going to happen to her now, and she didn't like being in that predicament. She preferred knowing exactly what to expect. Neth did know, however, that she did not like the sound of the Master, and she doubted seriously she would like the man himself.

Morgai lifted Neth to her feet and became strangely gentle towards her. He placed his hands on her waist.

"I will try to keep anything from happening to you in there," he whispered to her, leaning forward and kissing her on the lips. He heard someone coming and pulled away, becoming violent-tempered once again. He grabbed Neth's arm and dragged her towards the camp.

Neth's lips tingled at the touch of his, and she wanted to stand there in the moonlight-caressed trees for eternity with his lips on hers, but she too heard the man coming through the brush and so said nothing when Morgai grabbed her arm and began dragging her off.

She didn't even look up when the man came up to them, nor when they crossed out of the trees and into the camp. She smelled burnt canvas, and had to step over a few dead orcs, but Morgai's grip on her arm supported her moreso than it dragged her, so aside from a stumble or two, she was doing well.

They stopped outside a tent for a moment, and Neth took a deep breath before being pushed through the flap. Once inside, Morgai's grip shifted so that she dropped to her knees, but without much force.

There she knelt, eyes lowered, until she heard a voice say softly, 'So, this is the she-elf, Morgai? Look at me, elleth."

The words were soft, but the tone was not, and Neth raised her eyes to the one speaking. She almost fell over from shock when she realized she was looking up at an elf.
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2006 05:19
It was dark, too dark.

She had thought she was more than used to such despairingly starless and moonless nights by now - she had seen so many since this whole Valar-forsaken affair began – but tonight seemed to hold an extra dimension of dread. Istalë could almost understand why so many mortals were afraid of the dark. Everything seemed to just hang in the still, heavily charged air. So many questions, so many doubts, so many worries, and all unanswerable until the rescue party returned.

If they did return at all. Tonight, Istalë felt like a pessimist.

The night was the kind of dark where nothing much could be seen beyond the small circle of fading light that was Imladris. The kind of dark that did justice to the expression "inky blackness". In fact, it was the inky blackness of black ink in a closed cupboard. Istalë did not like to be left in the dark, pun very much intended, and right now there was just too much she did not know.

Lalaith paced the room like a caged beast of the sort some mortals kept - impatient and helpless and highly-strung as the theoretical drawn bowstring.

Istalë could think of nothing to say to assuage her friend's fears, nothing to allay the many doubts that assailed all three of them. It was nearly infuriating, to be left behind, to have to wait and not be able to do anything at all. She had gone over the room at least ten times, and leafed through her book twice as much, registering nothing except for the quiet crackle of the low fire, the slow drip and characteristic smell of candle wax, the loud silence and lack of movement of the still woods beyond.

It was quiet, too quiet.

She felt panic arise, the bile hot and stingy and bitter in her throat - it was almost like claustrophobia, except instead of having actual constricting surroundings it seemed as if the very silence was a living thing, was a substance of matter that could and would crush her in its heavy grip. Gone was the comfortable companionship the trio had shared out on the porch in the early afternoon sun; now Istalë found herself prey to the sudden overwhelming urge to break the silence. She had to do something, say something - now! - before the fist closed in and took them all, before it broke them. Her eardrums felt just about ready to burst in the imagined ringing that was often referred to as the "sound of silence". It was pressing in on her, it was coming... The elleth swayed on the spot, and quickly stumbled to the window, forcing herself back to sanity with deep breaths of the cold night air.

"You know, Lalaith," her voice came out soft and quavered, as if afraid to pierce the gloom, but Istalë pressed on, if only for some mindless chatter to end the dreadful quietness. "I always wondered what you saw in the captain Glyndr..."
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2006 06:28
Wincing in pain as Delvan twisted his arm, Glyndr kept the death grip on the man’s throat for as long as he could, trying to silence the hideous mortal forever.

He fell back , stumbling a few paces as Delvan smashed a metal clad arm across his head, then only by trained skill was he able to avoid a lethal blow of the man’s dagger.
The Captain shook his head to clear it, cursing as he felt the bite of cold steel across his shoulder. Glyndr knew the dagger was meant to run deeper, aimed at his heart .
That knowledge just fired his insane anger more.

“Family”. The Elf Captain allowed his thoughts briefly to return to his Lalaith, and the hopes that the Valar would bless them with elflings some day.
The thought of this evil mortal and his kind destroying what was his whole life, drove the dark demon in his soul into a terrible fury.

“Family!” the elf almost screamed at the man, “You shall never live long enough to find out!”
The Captain flew at Delvan, nothing would stop him, he would kill this man, or be killed himself .
They fought , trading blow for blow, vicious kick for kick, each desiring only the death of the other.

Glyndr was vaguely aware of the horn to recall the enemy, and it was only when Arato appeared and Delvan seemed to back off that he realised what had happened.

“Oh yes mortal”, Glyndr backed away a few steps , breathing as hard as the human, “We shall meet again, and I welcome it!” he spat after the man.

“Arato”, Glyndr took a deep, shuddering breath, the fight had taken more out of him than he realised, his anger his driving force. “Arato, thank you”, the Captain placed a bloodied hand on the man’s shoulder.

“We get out of here now, and fast,” Glyndr turned to where the others were hidden.

“Back to the horses, we are going home . Move!” he ordered , Counting each member as present as they made the dash to where the horses were hidden.

“Get up!” the Captain pulled on Sylstar’s bridle, and nudged the horse with his foot none to gently. The stallion was being deliberately stubborn. First he did not want to lay down , now he would not get up.

“ Sylstar! Get up damn you animal!” Glyndr growled as the stallion laid back his ears and shook his head with a squeal of defiance.
The Captain pulled harder , cursing ever having this stallion as his warhorse. They were two of a kind. Evil tempered, and stubborn.

A short battle of wills, and as usual Glyndr won.

The Captain dragged himself very un elf like and ungraciously into the saddle, he hurt too much .
“Arato”, he looked at his second with a look that said, “Don’t you dare say a word”.
“Arato, lead the others , back towards Imaldris, I hope that diablo already has Rolan and Narmion there, or we meet them on the road”
Glyndr paused and looked back towards the camp, “I will ride back a way to search for the dwarf, Ride fast, I will catch you up…now GO!”

The Captain turned Sylstar’s head back towards the camp . Keeping well to the hidden paths. He would not dare get closer.

After a while he stopped .No sign of the dwarf , Glyndr was concerned, but the could not linger here any longer it was not safe so close.

Just as he turned to go back his keen sight caught two figures, One seemed to be dragging the other towards the camp.
“Neth!” Glyndr froze, “Valar it’s Neth”.

Every instinct told him to go to her aid, to get her out of there. He made as if to charge the man and sweep her up onto Sylstar’s back.

But.
He stopped. His heart and duty did not agree. Glyndr ‘s responsibility was to get the group and the prisoners back to Imladris.

With a deep reluctance, Glyndr did what he knew he had to. He turned back towards the road to Imladris, hating himself for leaving her there. And for leaving the dwarf.

It was never easy in his profession, decisions had to be made, and not all were those he wanted.

The Captain urged Sylstar forward into a gallop , his thoughts on Neth and the dwarf, they could not be abandoned. Something must be done.

Other thoughts drove a deep fear into his soul. He remembered Delvan’s words, “Run, We have all we need from your friends”.

“What did they have?” The Captain needed to speak with Narmion.

Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2006 12:12
A small smirk crossed Ondet's lips at the expression of disbelief on the face of the elleth on her knees in front of him. "Not quite what you were expecting?" he inquired lazily, almost nonchalantly, as he circled the she-elf and Morgai. "Do tell, I would like to know what your expectations were." As he spoke he picked up the wicked blade off the stand.

"I...I thought you were of the Race of Men. Like him." She nodded toward morgai. "I never dreamed...not even once did the thought cross my mind that you could be an Elf."

Ondet stopped behind her and pressed the blade into her throat from behind. "Give me a reason not to cut your throat right now, she-elf."

Neth swallowed hard against the cold metal of the blade and she nearly whispered, "Because I am the only one in this camp that could possibly get into Imladris and set the stage for her destruction."

Ondet did not move, but the blade did. Neth took this as a good sign and continued, "It is obvious that you are planning a strike against Imladris. You may have information regarding the Elven haven, but you need more than that. You are going to need someone inside to create a diversion, to take down some of the defenses of Imladris, to keep them occupied. That is what I can do."

Neth's eyes shifted to Morgai, and she said, "I gave up my weapons and surrendered to him. If this was a set-up, or I could not be trusted, why would I have been there to even surrender? I would be long gone."

Ondet slowly walked around her, the blade hovering near her neck. "Morgai? What say you? Can the she-elf be trusted?"
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2006 05:35
Morgai took a few steps to the side as he saw Ondet pick up his blade, allowing the elf full access to Neth's neck. He watched her as Ondet spoke with her, hoping that, for her sake, she was telling the truth.

Ondet slowly walked around her, the blade hovering near her neck. "Morgai? What say you? Can the she-elf be trusted?"

"I would say she could be trusted, my lord, not only because she surrendered two weapons to me when we first met, but because she gave me the option of killing her during the rescue mounted by those from Imladris," Morgai said carefully. "That, and she laid down the rest of her arms when giving me that choice."

Briefly, when Ondet's back was to him, Morgai allowed his eyes to meet Neth's silently encouraging her to continue along the path she was taking. His eyes flickered to his leader's as Ondet's faced him once again in his restless circling of the elleth. It seemed that Ondet was intrigued by Neth's offer to create a diversion in camp, and to Morgai, that was a good sign.

Ondet continued circling, turning his back, once again, to his second. Morgai took this instance to smile and nod to Neth, trying to convey to Neth that Ondet was likely to trust her. And if not... well, there really wasn't anything he could do about that, now was there?

----------

Eadoin nearly fainted when the man called out for the 'rabbit' to come out of hiding, looking directly at his hiding spot. In those few seconds before Glyndr had come to his rescue and the man had been coming towards him, he had feared that those few seconds would be his last alive.

When Glyndr had come out, Eadoin was so relieved that he could have kissed the Captain, had it not have ended with him getting personally acquainted with the Captain's blades.

Now, as he struggled to get Carloth, who was being stubborn, back to her feet, the fear was back again. It wasn't paralyzing fear, more of a heart-beating-in-your-throat kind of fear, but it was uncomfortable. He finally got the horse to his feet and waited for Arato to mount before swinging up onto his own bay. Arato looked around at the group, as if seeing who remained with them, and then turned Carloth to the road.

"You heard the Captain," Arato growled, seeming to become hard as he commanded those with him, "we ride home. Go!"
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2006 11:13
*Okay, here is the rest of the initial meeting with Ondet and Neth. I know his tactics may seem a little odd, but he has not dealt with a female 'prisoner' before, and he seems to me the kind of guy who would definitely want to make sure the female understands her place.*

"I would say she could be trusted, my lord, not only because she surrendered two weapons to me when we first met, but because she gave me the option of killing her during the rescue mounted by those from Imladris," Morgai said carefully. "That, and she laid down the rest of her arms when giving me that choice."

Ondet stopped directly in front of Neth. "Look up at me." When she raised her eyes, he smiled and said softly, "You did not flinch when my blade touched your neck. You do not fear death?"

"No, my Lord. My only fear is that Imladris will grow strong again. That cannot be allowed to happen. The elves that remain there know nothing of the world outside their gates. They do not realize that their time is long since past. Even Lord Elrond did not realize it. They are caught up in attempting to preserve that which has passed on into fading memory."

Ondet considered this for a moment and then said, "Morgai. You found her. She is your responsibility. She will be remaining here, under your guidance. I do believe she will be an excellent spy." He looked down at her and she said softly, "I will do my best, my Lord."

Again the cold smirk crossed his face, and he looked from one to the other, and he thought he caught just a glimpse of a look between them before either of them could hide it. His lips twisted into a wicked grin and he commanded, "Go and make a bed up for the elleth in your tent. She will remain at your side at all times."

Ondet watched the flap of the tent for a moment, looking past Nethraueth's shoulder. When he was certain that Morgai was no longer nearby, his cold gaze moved to the elleth. "You seem to think that this will be an easy task for you. I am telling you now, it will not be. I have a very specific job in mind for you, besides being my eyes and ears in Imladris."

He turned away for a moment and said, "Morgai is one of my most devoted followers. I trust his judgment, which is why you are still breathing." He turned his head and looked at her through narrow slits. "However, even the most devoted grow weary and may long for something else."

He reached out a hand and lightly stroked her chin, and then tightened his grip on it so that the elleth winced. "You are to make sure that Morgai is content. That he has everything he could ever want or need right here in our camp. Do you understand? You will devote yourself not only to serving me, but serving Morgai and keeping him happy." He slid his hand along her cheek and into her hair, yanking her head back forcefully. "Do not fail me in this. If you fail, and you cost me Morgai's skills, I will hunt him down and you will watch him die slowly and painfully, and you will be forced to live with that memory while continuing to serve me in whatever way I see fit, until the end of time. Do you understand me?"

Nethraueth swallowed hard and refused to wince against the pain. She held his gaze as she whispered, "Yes, my Lord. I understand perfectly."

He released her and then said, "Oh, and if I find out you have not told me the truth, and that you are here to spy for the elves at Imladris..." he paused, and then smirked as he turned his back to her. "Then Morgai will be given the task of killing you, after Di'shan has some of his...fun...with your flesh." He folded his arms and said, "You are to go directly to Morgai's tent. Do not stop anywhere else along the way."

He instructed her on how to get to Morgai's tent and she left his tent, shaking so badly inside she thought she might vomit. Never before had she felt the presence of such innate evil. It seemed to ooze out of every pore in his body. Even the voices in her head had been silenced in his presence.

She stumbled past orcs and Men, and made her way to Morgai's tent. She pushed open the flap and said softly, "Morgai?" as she stepped inside.

One of the orc captains, after seeing neth twice, once going into the tent with Morgai, and coming back out, was now sure he recognized her. Suddenly he knew exactly where he knew her from.

He went to Ondet's tent, knowing he stood a good chance of being killed, and said, "Lord, a word about the she-elf."

"Enter."

The orc kept his eyes downcast as he spoke. "When my men and I attacked the outlying villages, we came across one where a she-elf was fleeing as we approached. I got a look at her before she disappeared from sight. When we arrived in the village, we found the elven soldiers that had survived the battle the day before slain, many of them still in their bedrolls." He took a step back and said, "My Lord, it was the she-elf that just left your presence I saw riding away, I am sure of it."

Ondet smiled and dismissed the orc captain with instructions to say nothing about this. He seated himself in the center of his tent, his back to the opening in his tent, still smiling his cold smile.

It seemed that the she-elf would be more of an asset than he had first believed. Now he had something to use against her that strengthened the odds against her leaving. She belonged to him. Permanently.

[Edited on 11/6/2006 by Iell-daughter-of-elves]

Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2006 12:51
Again the cold smirk crossed his face, and he looked from one to the other, and he thought he caught just a glimpse of a look between them before either of them could hide it. His lips twisted into a wicked grin and he commanded, "Go and make a bed up for the elleth in your tent. She will remain at your side at all times."

"Yes, my lord," Morgai said, bowing his way out of the tent. Once outside, he turned and went away from his tent in search of more blankets and furs for Neth's bed. The supply tent, unfortunately, was on the other side of camp, and seeing as the camp was rather large and in complete disarray, it took him several long minutes to pick his way across.

"Oh, Captain Morgai," the man in charge of the supplies said when he saw the second. "May I help you?"

"Blankets, enough for a bed," Morgai snapped, not in the mood to be delayed any longer than he had to be. The man hurried to dig through the piles of supplies, sensing Morgai's rush. He handed Morgai a pile of blankets a moment later. Without a word, the dark-haired man turned and walked back across the camp to his tent.

She pushed open the flap and said softly, "Morgai?" as she stepped inside.

"Behind you," he muttered, ducking through the tent flap behind her. He stepped around her and set the blankets off to one side. "For your bed, if you wish to sleep in your own space. Otherwise, my furs are big enough for two, if you so wish." He paused for a moment and glanced sidelong at her.

"You look flustered, my dear," he said softly, sitting down on his furs and looking up on her. "What's the matter?"
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2006 01:17
"You look flustered, my dear," he said softly, sitting down on his furs and looking up on her. "What's the matter?

Neth blushed when he mentioned them sharing a sleeping space. She looked at him and said softly, "As much as I would...would like to ..uhm, share a sleeping space with you. I can't." She paused for a minute and then said in a rush. "It is not that I was playing with you when I kissed you, it is just that I am an elf, and although it would be nice, for me to sleep with you without some sort of ...well, if we were, perhaps, together officially..." She was becoming more flustered by the minute and she stopped and took a breath, letting it out slowly and saying, "If we were wed, it would be appropriate, but as we are not, I cannot allow myself to sleep in your bed as a human woman might."

She quickly looked away and gathered the furs and bedding together, placing them close to Morgai's bed, but with a small space between them. "There," she said, settling herself down on them, and then adjusting them until they felt right when she lay down.

Neth lay there for a moment and then sat up. "Morgai, I have to confess something." She paused and said, "Ondet scares me. Very much. And he has asked me to do something, and I need to know if you are aware of this." She moved over next to him and whispered, "Do you know that I am to keep you happy and serve you, so that you will not betray Ondet?" Her sapphire blue eyes bored into his.

Neth wanted so badly to close her eyes and kiss him, let the union of their lips wash away her fear, but she couldn't. Not until she knew exactly where she stood with him.

Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2006 01:40
Morgai snorted angrily as she mentioned Ondet. Getting up, he walked to the far end of his tent and turned around to face her again. Opening his mouth, he went say something but decided against it. Turning his back to her again, he unclasped his belt and laid it on top of the chest he kept there. Onde that was accomplished, he began to further unarm himself, pulling a multitude of knives and daggers from various other hiding spots in his clothing, piling them on the chest as well.

Finished once again, he flung his cloak from his shoulders, draping it over his multitude of blades. He didn't know what to say that wouldn't make him - or her, for that matter - too angry with him. Sighing quietly, he pulled his tunic over his head and folded it, setting it on top of everything else. Selecting a few blades, he kicked off his boots and crossed to his bedding, sitting down and facing her again. The knives he stowed under his pillow.

"Had I known, I wouldn't have asked," Morgai muttered, berating himself for making her uncomfortable. Absently, he scratched at the scars on his shoulder. "I'm sorry."

"And I should have guessed he'd do this to you, making sure that I was loyal to him." Morgai snorted again. "Ondet is paranoid about his men abandoning him. He's been like this since I first met him, five years ago. He should know by now I've got nowhere else to go. Sometimes I really dispies him, but I won't leave him. It seems that sometimes I'm the only one that keeps him sane - especially when he's raging about something."

Reaching out, he touched her shoulder, gently. "Ondet scares everyone, sweetling, not just you." Leaning forward, he kissed her on the cheek gently. "I promised that I wouldn't let anything happen to you, didn't I? I won't let anyone hurt you, especially not him." He drew back a moment later, giving her an encouraging smile. He lay down on his side, facing her, seeing how she would react...
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2006 02:28
Neth sat there wide-eyed as she watched him disarm himself. The realization hit her then of just how much danger she had actually been in out there in the woods.

She stared at the scars on his back and studied them for a moment. He was obviously experienced at warfare, and had seen many battles. She ached to touch those scars, to hear the tales behind each one, but she dared not interrupt.

As he sat down and began to speak softly to her, some of her apprehension drifted away. She watched him place the blades under his pillow, but she knew they would be used to protect her as well as himself.

Reaching out, he touched her shoulder, gently. "Ondet scares everyone, sweetling, not just you." Leaning forward, he kissed her on the cheek gently. "I promised that I wouldn't let anything happen to you, didn't I? I won't let anyone hurt you, especially not him." He drew back a moment later, giving her an encouraging smile. He lay down on his side, facing her, seeing how she would react...

She blushed when he referred to her as sweetling, and touched his cheek as he kissed hers. "I know you will protect me, Morgai. I have all the faith in the world in you."

When he stretched out, she blushed again. "I..I, uhm, need to get ready for bed myself." She tried not to sound flustered, and crawled under the top fur on her bedding, quickly removing her boots and leggings and leaving her tunic on. It was long enough to cover her completely, and if she remained under the covers, then it would be okay. She pulled the leggings and boots out from under the covers, and neatly set them in the space between the two beds.

Neth arranged a small fur for under her head and curled up on her side, facing Morgai and staring into his eyes. "Good night, Morgai," she said softly. She closed her eyes and lay there for several moments, finally cracking her eyes back open and finding Morgai staring at her. She chuckled softly and closed her eyes again, and she tried desperately to go to sleep.

Neth spent the night tossing and turning, finally falling into an exhausted sleep two hours before the dawn.

Then the dreams began again.

dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 12, 2006 10:01
When Delvan entered Ondet’s tent he found the elf looking completely calm and collected, despite the chaos raging outside. Nonchalantly he turned and looked at his Second in Command, smirking when he saw the blood coloring his side.
“I see you got into a spat,” he said smoothly, “Did you bring me a prize?”

“No, my lord,” Delvan replied somewhat breathlessly, nodding in a slight bow, “I battled an elf… and I couldn’t beat him before the horn sounded. I believe he was leading the rescuers… and now they have escaped.”

He held his breath, almost expecting his Captain to lash out at hearing those words… but he didn’t. The elf simply narrowed his eyes dangerously and took a step forward.
“And you let them escape?”

“Because the horn sounded,” Delvan responded, feeling extremely irritated. The emotion showed in his grimace, and the way his eyes burned. He didn’t openly question his master, but every annoyed and rebellious thought was easily descried. He thought the elf a fool for letting trespassers escape so freely, for leaving stupid orcs to guard Di’Shan’s tent… he believed the whole affair was silly, and that they should go ahead and strike out at the elven fortress without waiting…

The grimace was wiped off his face in an instant when Ondet’s fist slammed into it out of nowhere. With a grunt Delvan stumbled and dropped to his knees, reeling from the force of the blow. Blinking up with wide eyes he saw that the _expression on the elf’s face hadn’t changed- it was still calm and cool, with only the slightest hint of a snarl.

“Get out of my sight,” Ondet breathed, “That you couldn’t catch them in time is your fault- and it is no real loss that they are gone. Their suffering will continue until it is ended when we attack Imladris- although the orcs might have been deprived of the wait if you hadn’t been roaming around with that blasted flask in your fist! But don’t fear, Delvan… if my thinking is correct then Morgai will make up for your mistake tenfold. Now, leave.”

With a mumbled ‘Yes, my lord’ Delvan scrambled out of the tent, holding his good hand against his aching jaw. Inwardly he was shaking- it was nigh on a miracle that he was still alive at all. Cursing he spat blood and shook his head slowly at himself as he weaved back to his tent. Leave the clean-up to the blasted underlings… he was going to bed!

As he was entering the tent, though, he turned and saw Morgai crossing the camp… with a golden-haired elleth. At first he just blinked- had *that* man managed to catch one of the trespassers when *he* hadn’t? That thought made him bristle like an angry dog… but he retreated to his tent. He’d worry about it tomorrow… for now he was in pain and incredibly mad…for, not only had he met a match in battle, let prisoners get away, been knocked down by Ondet and bested by Morgai- he’d lost his flask.

It didn’t take long for him to go to sleep.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Bellas didn’t have a hard time convincing his horse to stand up- but as he mounted he glanced worriedly over his shoulder. He didn’t like leaving Hanni behind- perhaps she would be safe disguised as an orc, but one of the men could certainly tell that she wasn’t once the sun rose. When Glyndr urged them to go on as he went back for the dwarf the smith prayed that she would be found-and if not, that she’d gotten out of the camp and would be able to make her way back to Imladris.

Arato ordered them to move as well- so Bellas urged his mount on and they moved through the trees at a pace as fast as they could manage, headed for home. They didn’t slow the whole way- and though they didn’t catch up with Diablo they could make his form out in the distance ahead from time to time.
There were no words traded with the elf and anyone else. His mind was too busy with too many thoughts- the rescue hadn’t gone as they’d hoped it would. True, the captives were liberated… but would they even live? And had it been worth it if others had been taken prisoner in the attempt?

The sun was close to rising when they finally arrived in Rivendell- and when they entered the courtyard they found elves already lifting Rolan and Narmion down from Diablo’s back.
Bellas dismounted wearily and patted his horse’s neck, then sent him off with a stable hand. He was tired and his shoulder was stinging- and when an elleth ushered him toward the healing rooms to be tended he went without question, his mind mostly on Neth and Hanni.

----------------------------------------------------

"You know, Lalaith," her voice came out soft and quavered, as if afraid to pierce the gloom, but Istalë pressed on, if only for some mindless chatter to end the dreadful quietness. "I always wondered what you saw in the captain Glyndr..."

“Oh,” Lalaith said, her worrisome thoughts interrupted. With a dismal smile she met Istale’s eyes, “It’s difficult to explain… at first I saw a cold, burdened soul who was sorely lonely and a bit frightening… and then I saw someone who needed to be loved… and then I loved him. It happened very quickly… I know he seems harsh and distant to everyone else, but there is another side of him.”
Her eyes went back to the window, where the night outside was slowly crawling toward its end. She thought sadly that he just *had* to come back… there were things they needed to discuss… but mostly, she just needed him. She needed his love and to be in his arms, to have him close.
“He is really a wonderful ellon. I can’t imagine what I’d have done if I’d never found him.”

Just then a call came from somewhere outside, and the clatter of hoofbeats on cobblestone. Jumping to her feet and sparing only a moment to share a glance with her two friends she rushed out of the room and down to the courtyard. There was only Diablo and two bedraggled forms on his back. With a withering heart she realized she was looking at Rolan and Narmion- neither seeming aware of where they were… and they looked absolutely terrible. But, swallowing the tears that had come to her throat Lalaith ordered some elves to aid the rescued prisoners down and to carry them to where bedding had been prepared. She observed them both quickly, her heart breaking for Rolan most of all when she beheld the evils done to him.

The worried elleth then looked to the gate when other horses arrived, and she waited eagerly for a sign of her husband… but she didn’t see him. There were Arato and Eadoin, and Bellas… but she saw neither the dwarf nor Glyndr. A fear worse than any she’d ever felt gripped her soul and squeezed. Shakily she approached Arato, unable to find her voice to ask if the Captain had fallen or if he was just lagging behind…

-----------------

Narmion was half aware of being lifted down from Diablo’s back, and he grunted in pain at the movement- though he should have been used to it after the ride back to Rivendell. Some part of him was offended that Glyndr hadn’t kept his promise, but mostly he just didn’t care… all he wanted was to sleep and escape the burdens of being awake… his scathing guilt most of all.

(hope this is alright- I figured Glyndr would be lagging behind a bit since he went back to look for Hanni. And Bellas is prepared to go back and find her if she needs it- and when he hears that Neth has been 'captured' he'll be ready and willing, of course. Lemme know if I need to edit- Iell I’ll bring the messenger in my next post)

[Edited on 12/6/2006 by dreamdancer]
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2006 04:49
She had listened, toying with imaginary creases and flaws in the embroidery on her skirt, only half aware of what Lalaith was saying, when a cry went up from the courtyard. Istalë’s head shot up, and for the umpteenth time that night she glanced down from her seat at the window. Except this time, there was not just pitch-black gloom out there. She could hear hooves clattering on cobblestone, hushed voices, and then see lanterns bobbing as elves rushed out of the house to the returning party, illuminating the form of a large black horse carrying… something. A large burden, perhaps, if she was to judge from the animal’s slow, measured steps.

Narmion and Rolan! It took Istalë more than a few seconds to realise who the two battered, limp figures in the harness on Diablo’s back were, and when she did, it was with utter shock that anyone would do anything remotely like that to a fellow living thing. How much they must have suffered at the hands of their captors!

Lalaith was first out of the room, followed closely by Istalë, and they pelted down the corridors to the porch. By the time they emerged into the courtyard the others had returned too, among them the smith Bellas and the brothers from Rohan. She looked around the sudden milling activity in the small space, taking stock of everyone who had returned. Where was Hanni? And Glyndr? Another glance at the road told her that neither of them was on their way back, or at least not close to home. Her heart froze, the hope that had been kindled with the sight of the returning group sinking quickly, knotting cold and hard and heavy in the pit of her stomach, and she glanced over to Lalaith. Her friend seemed to have no more news than she herself did, or if she did, it was all bad, because the poor elleth looked even more distraught than before. Istalë had not the heart to go up to her and ask, as if she feared what she might hear.

But there was work to be done. Forcing down waves of nausea and pity and the urge to just break down in her horror, she guided the elves who bore Narmion and Rolan up to the rooms they had prepared, where the healers took over. Istalë could only hope the healers would work their miracles, because both of them looked more dead than alive. Just who would have committed such atrocities on the child? For the next hour the elleth was kept busy running back and forth, fetching and carrying things around the healing wing of the house, all the while consumed with her concern for Hanni and – to some extent – the captain, if only for the sake of her friend Lalaith, fear and anger combined at the enemy, and the physical and mental fatigue that stemmed from a night of being strung as tightly as a hundred-over-pound taut bowstring.

It was then she caught sight of Bellas, being tended to in a corner, and although the ellon looked more than exhausted, Istalë simply could not take her twanging nerves any longer. She all but ran up to him, brows furrowed.

“What of the others? Hanni and Glyndr?”

[OOC: Short post, I know, and I do believe I seem to be totally neglecting poor(?!) Sakhar... Will attempt to work him in somewhere later but my muses seem to be AWOL lately... Or maybe the pencil-wielding bunnies have completely taken over my head. ><]
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2006 04:15
OOc// Let's see whats I can post here...

The stallion's sure steps carried him easily through the forest, even with the extra weight of two bodies on his back. Neither could ride lightly, the way most riders did when it was apparent a mount was overburdened, but in the blinding anger and worry Diablo felt for the two, he was barely aware of the fact he shouldn't be able to carry them both. Logic had no place in the stallion's mind as he lengthened his strides, impossibly gaining speed and leaving the rest of the party behind. For the sake of the pathetic, broken souls on his back, he needed to get to Imladris quickly!

Hoofbeats inevitably slowed when he reached the Elven refuge. He couldn't hold onto the injurious pace he'd been running at. No, unless he wanted to collapse beside the Elf and boy, he needed to slow down. Diablo's steps were heavy and his legs were trembling as his great heart raced, still working furiously to keep up with the demands he'd placed on it. He would have called out for an Elf or two to come get these two off of him and into a bed, but they were there before he could muster the energy. He watched Narmion be carried off, carefully supported by two Elves and then Rolan taken as well. The stallion reached out and gently ruffled the boy's hair before letting the unfortunate lad be carried off. Then Diablo himself was led off, an Elf on either side, supporting the trembling stallion.

He didn't even remember crossing the threshold of the stable. Somehow he was just there, leaning against the stall wall and hoping it wouldn't collapse. He was so tired...

Dirk had just gotten the last of the horses back into camp when morning dawned. He was irritable, angry and in no mood to face any of the others in the camp. One of the recruits came a little too close to the agitated Rohirim and recieved a hearty blow to the face. Dirk spat in the downed man's face and stalked off, hoping that he wouldn't see anyone else in the time it would take him to cross camp and get to his own tent. For once, luck seemed to be with him. He made it to his own tent, all right, and encountered no more people. With a grimace, Dirk opened the flap of his tent and grabbed a few supplies he needed to finish tending the horses. Then he could rest.

Right now though, the strawberry roan had ear mites, a pair of foals had twisted ankles, one mare had a bad wound on her left flank - one that was sure to be infected if it wasn't taken care of right away. And the horses needed his own soothing presence, too. Dirk sighed. He couldn't yet take the rest he needed. Maybe one of these days he'd fall over dead from overwork. He'd like to see what Ondet would do in that case. The horses would all rebel, if that ever happened. At the very least they'd run off. Possibly they'd stay around long enough to cause substantial damage to the camp.
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2006 06:11
She was cold. It wasn't an ordinary cold, that cold that is easily warmed by a cheery crackling fire and a fur wrapped around the shoulders. This cold seemed to come from the very depths of her soul, its icy grip holding fast to her.

Nethraueth heard a soft moan behind her, and she turned around to find a wall of thick fog looming up behind her, beginning to surround her. As she watched, it seemed to her eyes that the smothering murkiness was actually advancing in on her, as if it were...an army.

The moan sounded again, and this time, it was drawn out and clear enough that she could hear that it wasn't a moan at all, but her name. She called out in a shaky voice, "Who calls for me?" The only response was another moaning utterance of her name, so she pulled out her sword and advanced forward.

Neth was looking from side to side and stepping carefully when a figure loomed out of the fog. She was startled and nearly dropped her sword as she skidded to a halt when she realized who it was.

It was Criston, the younger of her two brothers. He stood before her, covered in blood, staring at her, not moving, not speaking.

"Cris-Criston? You are dead...aren't you? How can you stand before me if you are dead?"

"Oh, yes, Nethraueth, I am most definitely dead. I'm dead thanks to the betrayal of my sister, who thrust her dagger into the base of my skull, because she was far too cowardly to challenge me to my face. Far too cowardly and desperate for attention, attention that was being divided amongst all of us that were fighting in the battalion. You couldn't handle that could you, Nethraueth. You had to be the one with the glory. So you became a Kinslayer." His voice had become a low, hate-filled hiss.

Nethraueth opened her mouth to say something, and a hand landed on her arm and turned her around. Now she was face to face with her other brother, Beredhraw, his face creased with a gash inflicted by her sword, the very one she held in her hand now. It was split from right temple to left jaw, and Nethraueth felt nauseous being that close to him.

He smiled a gruesome, twisted smile and said, "But you know what is so fortunate for us, Nethraueth? We are dead, but you have to live with the nightmares for the rest of your life."

More figures began coming out of the fog, all muttering and surrounding her, reaching for her, and no matter how hard Neth tried to fight them off, they kept coming at her. She heard her brothers laughing, and Beredhraw called out, "You cannot kill what is already dead, Nethraueth."

She began swinging, trying to fight her way clear. She finally managed to clear a path, and began running, but she could hear the laughter surrounding her on all sides.

The fog swirled around her and then vanished, and she found herself standing on the edge of the village she had been sent to protect. The ground was muddy and dark with blood, her armor coated with it. The bodies of the slain were scattered everywhere, and Nethraueth grew angry. "You deserved it! I had fought longer than any of you, and I deserved the glory and praise for commanding you! You were nothing without me!" Her voice echoed outward, and was met with utter silence, and an overwhelming feeling of loneliness.

Then she heard the voice of Criston, right next to her ear, although when she whirled around, he was not there.

"You will always feel the loneliness, deep inside you, Nethraueth. Even with that Man, Morgai, by your side, should he choose to remain a part of your life after finding out what you have done, the loneliness will eat away at you until there is nothing left. Why have you not told him? Because you are too afraid, too cowardly, fearful he will be repulsed by you."

Criston suddenly lunged at her out of nowhere, catching her throat and beginning to choke her. Neth struggled, beating at his arms, and trying to twist away from his grip.

"I loved you Nethraueth, and I was proud of you. Now I want only to watch you die."

Neth could see all of the others gathering around the two of them, watching her dead baby brother, the first of her Kin she had slain, slowly choke the life out of her.

The voices in her head began screaming for her to wake up...

Aerien moved swiftly through the trees, communicating with the others in the patrol with silent hand gestures. There were rumours that had recently come to light that those of the Eldar that remained in Middle Earth were in grave danger, and so the patrols had been started.

Four groups at a time, one for each direction, would fan out and move through the forest to the very border of Mirkwood, and into the Rhovanion plains, watching for any signs of anyone approaching. So far, they had not had any sightings, but it was always better to be safe than sorry.

Aerien was the last of her family, along with her twin brother, who remained in Middle Earth. Her parents had sailed long before, and her and her brother had remained, together, not willing to give up their love of home, both of them feeling the need to protect it at all costs.

She glanced to the left, and just barely caught a glimpse of her twin, Noridthen, as he passed behind a tree. Their movements were in complete synchronization with each other, as always, and the two of them always led patrols together, working as a single unit split into two bodies. Aerien was proud of her brother, as he was of her, and neither one of them would accept praise directed at themselves if there was no recognition for the other.

The patrol finally began its long sweep back into the forest, having reached the border, and spent the next several hours retracing their steps. As they passed the next group to head out, Aerien looked at Noridthen and grinned. The twins suddenly sprinted off in the direction of the dining hall, racing each other to get to the food first.

Aerien won this time, and as she laughed and caught her breath, Noridthen picked her up and swung her around. Depositing her in a chair at one of the tables, and bowing low before her, he said, "I shall fetch your meal for you, my dear sister, that your winged feet might rest." He grinned at her and she laughed again.

"My winged feet?" She rolled her eyes as Noridthen swept off and joined the line. When he returned several moments later, and presented her with her plate, she dug into it heartily, and then paused after several mouthfuls. "Noridthen, do you suppose any of the rumours are true? Do you believe that Lord Elrond of Imladris is dead and that his son Elladan is blind?"

Noridthen considered her words for a moment, and then said quietly, "I think if it were untrue, that there would be proof by now that Lord Elrond still lives, Aerien."

She nodded slowly and whispered, "Valar, protect us."

[Edited on 13/6/2006 by Iell-daughter-of-elves]
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2006 07:55
A pale pink light of another dawn hovered, a pale glow on the horizon, as Glyndr rode the last few miles towards home, and the so precious love of his Lalaith.

The Captain had ridden far to try to find any sign of the dwarf, and was at least an hour behind the others of the group. He had at least found Neth.

Glyndr needed Neth’s skills in the ever-diminishing ranks, even though he had not, and would never; forgive her for almost besting him in the sparring match.
His male pride had taken as much battering as his body had.

The haven, and Lalaith, only a heartbeat away now, Glyndr rode slowly.
He was tired and in pain, and was deeply concerned. Delvan’s words still echoed in his head.

The Captain shivered slightly in the cool, sharp air of early morning, the cold air welcome on his bruised and torn skin.
He winced as he glanced down at his shoulder, the blood almost congealed now on the ripped flesh.

That human would suffer greatly at their next meeting.

Glyndr rode into the cobbled courtyard as the morning sun was above the horizon.
He slid from Sylstar’s back as un elf like, and as ungracious as he had dragged himself onto the stallion.

Glyndr did not care who saw.
His thoughts only on Lalaith.
He did not see her there, “but of course”, he thought, “She will be with Narmion and Rolan, and with the wounded”.

“ Cap’n sir, shall I take the ‘orse?” A grubby stable lad squeaked at Glyndr’s side, “nice t’ see yer back safe an’ all like”.

“Yes”, the Captain handed the boy the reins, “ Just take him to the stable, and see he is fed and watered, I’ll tend to him later”.
Glyndr frowned as he looked at the boy, he wondered how anything so scrawny even had the strength to stand, let alone cope with warhorses.

Sylstar had other ideas.
A very interesting liver chestnut mare was being led back to the stables. The stallion went off in hot pursuit, the lad hanging onto the reins for dear life, as he was dragged across the yard.

“Valar!” Glyndr strode after the horse, “Sylstar, you will be the death of me you wretched animal, leave that damned mare alone”.
The elf grabbed Sylstar’s bridle and pushed hard against the horse’s shoulder with his own, “Back off will you!”

Sylstar squealed and lifted his head high, a hind hoof raised, threatening, and ready to swing round and kick hard.
“Don’t you dare!!” Glyndr slapped the stallion’s neck hard and pushed him back a few paces. “Get back, you evil horse from an orc pit!”

The grey lunged forward, dragging Glyndr with him, the elf cursing the animal in words unmentionable as he finally got the stallion under some sort of control.

“Get that mare in the stable, NOW!” Glyndr ordered the wide-eyed lad. “Out of the way”.

“Take the thing” Glyndr gave Sylstar’s reins back to the lad once the excitement had died down, “Get it out of my sight!”

Glyndr ran both his hands through his hair, and then went to sit on a low wall. He dod not need this.

Telryn sat at Glyndr’s desk, in Glyndr’s office writing out requisitions for supplies, organising training and generally making a much better job of the paperwork than his Captain –god ever could , or even wanted to.

Glyndr hated paperwork that went with his position, a warrior, his skills were with a sword, not a quill!

“Sylstar!” the young soldier , now section leader, recognised his Captain’s warhorse’s squeal. The animal squealed enough most times for Telryn not to have mistaken it.

The soldier quickly tidied the parchments, then ran from the office. He had feared for his Captain’s life ..now he was back..Safe.

“Captain” Telryn gasped , almost out of breath, “ I am so pleased to see you back safe ..I ..er…that is we all , were so concerned” .

The smart young, eager soldier looked closely at his Captain, “ Are you alright Captain?” he asked , then mentally kicked himself for asking such a stupidly obvious question.

Glyndr looked up at the section leader, “ What does it look like soldier? Have some sense will you” .

The Captain stood slowly , and faced Telryn. “ I want a full report on all that has happened here since I have been away..”

Glyndr paused, and looked intently at Telryn. The young soldier was just the one to lead a group to find the dwarf, and rescue Neth.

Telryn was a good fighter, and dedicatedly loyal to Imladris and his race. Glyndr put trust in this young soldier.

“Section Leader, I have a task for you. You will lead a group from Imladris on a mission not so much unlike the one we have just undertaken. I will brief you, and those chosen in my office in three hours time. I need volunteers. If none are forthcoming, then I shall have to order all those who shall go”.

The Captain eased his shoulders , and sighed, “ Section leader, find me a rescue group, then have them meet at my office in three hours”.

Telryn blinked.he could not believe that his Captain –god had just put complete trust in him to lead a rescue group “Yes Captain..certainly …I thank you ..I” he began.

“Section Leader..” Glyndr’s icicle tinged voice, and the sharp frost look told Telryn to say no more, “ Just do as I command, you will not thank me for it by the time you return”.

Telryn bowed “Captain” he said politely before he almost ran to organise the group.

Glyndr stood , his hands to his head, his head bowed.
He knew that he must speak with his friend Narmion, and soon. The Captain hated the thought of almost interrogating his friend..But. It had to be done.

Glyndr had to know how much truth Delvan spoke. What did the enemy know ?

For now , Narmion would have to wait. All Glyndr needed was to hear the gentle voice of his wife, his Lalaith, and to have her soft warmth close again in his arms.

By the Valar , he needed her now.

OOC will edity/ deletey as usual if needed! IELLLL! That posty was awesome!

anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 13, 2006 07:59
Throughout the painful night the distracted half-elf had alternately sat down and stood up, and wandered around the room in agitation, impatiently waiting for the rescue-party to return… hearing Istalë and Lalaith talking, but not really listening. Running her hands through her distressed hair, Amata was just sitting down again when an urgent shout sounded from the courtyard. Lalaith and Istalë seemed to vanish from the room instantly, and fast on the heels of her friends, Amata also dashed outside, nerves suddenly screaming and her heart in her mouth.

Her gaze rested on the two figures being gently lifted down, and she gave a strangled choke, her hands ripping into her tunic. Lalaith approached Arato in distress, while Istalë took control of the situation and guided the group to the healing rooms. Amata remained as still as a statue, save for her horrified eyes following the two forlorn individuals. All night she’d been preparing herself for helping the healers, but now… she couldn’t breathe. When her body finally responded to her call, she cast a hopeless glance around the courtyard, seeing the others for the first time. They all looked exhausted, but Amata could not go up to them. She turned, and walked out of the courtyard, melting away into the dark trees.

She found the bench – the same one that she’d sat upon all that time ago – and covered her face with her hands, tears streaming from her eyes. Narmion and Rolan… How could anyone do that to another living thing? Amata felt sick, and she hated herself for running off alone. She couldn’t even lend a hand now… she hadn’t known how weak she was. She struck the wood of the bench in anger. Her words to her brother suddenly rang in her ears, and her grief increased. How could she have been so heartless towards him, when she herself had abandoned Imladris to return to peaceful Rohan, ignoring her friends… even now.

fter the third try, Ari admitted defeat. "I guess whoever wrote this either forgot something or they're right in saying that reincarnation is just man's myth." She sighed. "I do wish it might have worked, though..."

Faeringil sighed. “Well, it was worth a try. A shame it didn’t work.” He rolled back the scroll, and sat down back at his desk with another sigh, not really knowing what else to say. “I suppose I could write an annex to this scroll telling everyone that it isn’t true.”

Presently the door opened once more, and there stood Amata, looking strangely lost. Her face was streaked with what looked like tears, and Faeringil stared at her in amazement. Amata’s eyes were on Arianna. “They’re back… I… I thought you might like to know.” Then she turned and disappeared into the corridor – heading for the healing rooms.

((LOVE the post, Iell!))
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2006 12:24
As Neth drifted off to sleep, Morgai smiled again and rolled onto his other side to give her at least a little more privacy, not that there was much to begin with. Quietly, he drifted off to sleep and into dreamland...

Morgai wandered the open plains of Rohan, looking for something - or someone, he couldn't tell. Below him the grass stretched out in a green carpet that looked the same in all directions. Above him, the sky was eerily grey, like it had been above the mountains bordering Mordor those six years before.

Suddenly, in the distance, he saw someone climbing a hill. He started to run, not knowing why, opening his mouth to cry out to the figure. No sound came from his lips, though, so he kept running. The figure disappeared over the hilltop as he gained the bottom. Struggling up the rise, Morgai gained the top and stared down…

… down at Imladris, which he had never seen before. The sky above him was even darker than it had been before, and he could see why. A fire had been set to one of the buildings, and it blazed merrily while figures rushed to put it out. The smoke fueled the sky’s clouds. At that moment, someone turned and spotted him. Arato – little Arato, who had grown so big – appeared next to him, except he grew larger every second. Morgai turned to run.

Behind him there was forest – he knew where he was! In northern Ithilien, there was forest similar to this, and he recognized it. Something struck his lower back then, and as he turned around to see who it was, he was met with the demonic looking Arato behind him. He ran again, and again something hit him in the back. A rock hit the ground beside him as he ran, and again something hit his back, but this time it was in his shoulderblade and it hurt! The object fell again, hitting him in one of the more tenderly scarred areas of his back…

With a curse, Morgai shot up from his furs and reached up to feel his back, checking for blood.

“That’s the last time I ever drink before bed,” Morgai muttered to himself. It was then he heard it – moaning, beside him! Almost frantically, he grabbed a knife from underneath his pillow and turned to see if Neth was hurt, and Valar knew if she was there’d be hell to pay!

Instead, he found a thrashing elleth behind him. Her hands flailed around wildly. So that was what had woken him – her punching him in the back. However, the elleth wasn’t waking up, and Morgai was getting worried. Throwing the furs off of him, he reached out and tried to grab her shoulder to wake him, only he wound up barely dodging a fist. Several other attempts were met with the same result, so he finally settled for climbing on top of her and pinning her to the furs and blankets beneath her.

“Neth!” Morgai hissed. “Neth, wake up!

----------

Arato breathed a sigh of relief as they entered the courtyard of Imladris. It appeared that Diablo had gotten Rolan and Narmion home safely, as there was a bustle in the courtyard and he could see the black’s tail disappearing into the stables. He patted Carloth on the neck and dismounted, standing next to her and surveying the activity going on around him. Lalaith came to stand staring at him.

“Captain Glyndr is safe, Lalaith,” he said as she said nothing, probably due to worry for her husband. “The dwarf was sent into the camp as a diversion, and the Captain went looking for her after we had rescued Narmion and Rolan. He should be coming in shortly.”

As if hearing his words, the Captain’s grey warhorse carried him into the courtyard. With a bow to Lalaith, Arato left Carloth in the care of one of the stable hands, seeing as Aiden was pressing Eadoin for details of the rescue, and headed for the Halls of Healing. He hoped to find information regarding the states of Narmion and Rolan, and most importantly, he wanted the boy to have someone he knew nearby when – and if – he awoke. Besides, he figured the healers might be in need of help.

---

“I… I saw them when they came in,” Aiden muttered, helping Eadoin down from his horse and following his brother as he led his horse into the stables. “They don’t look good.”

“I never got a chance to see them,” Eadoin said as he unsaddled his horse and began rubbing her down. Worriedly, he looked at Aiden. “How bad?”

“It’s a wonder they’re still alive,” Aiden said. He brushed a hand through his short hair and sighed, straightening out Eadoin’s tack – the younger man always made a mess of it. “Rolan especially.” Eadoin whirled, startled at the words.

“What happened to Rolan?” he demanded. Aiden opened his mouth, decided against speaking, and shut it with a click. Wordlessly, he turned from the stall and moved to set the saddle and bridle down in the back. “Aiden!” Eadoin whined again, following him.

“You’ll have to wait,” Aiden said firmly.

“But!”

“They need time to recover!” Aiden snapped at Eadoin, whirling around to face him. His eyes were hard and angry. “Right now, they don’t need someone hovering over them gawking at them like they’re some sort of freaks!”

“But I just want to make sure Rolan’s alright…” Eadoin muttered, looking to the ground between his feet. “You don’t have to yell at me…”

“I do, Eadoin,” Aiden said harshly, walking past his brother and into Diablo’s stall, shooing the other stable boys from inside. “Otherwise you won’t listen to me.”

“I’d listen!” Eadoin said, coming to the door. Aiden calmly pushed him away and shoved him down the isles to the door. Outside, away from the prying eyes and ears of the stable lads, they could talk.

“Frankly, Eadoin, you wouldn’t,” Aiden said softly. “Ever since that battle, you’ve been treating me as if I’m the younger of us two, and that’s insulting. There are some things that you don’t know a whit about. Stop trying to control everything, especially me. No matter how much you think you’ve grown up during this experience, you’re still a boy, Eadoin!” Aiden’s voice had risen several notches, and now there were several people staring at them. Aiden continued, “A stupid, naïve little boy! Stop acting like you’re better than everyone else, before someone decides they’ve had enough of you and teaches you your place. And if it falls to me, don’t expect me to go easy on you because I’m your brother. It’s time for you to grow up!” Turning, Aiden stalked back into the stables and disappeared from sight.

Eadoin stood staring at the doors, feeling as if he had just been slapped in the face. Feeling the eyes of those who had watched the exchange on him, he turned and fled into the gardens. He wanted Ari. And he wanted her now. Stumbling on the uneven walkways, which hadn’t been maintained since before the battle, he reached where she sat with another elf and stopped.

“Ari,” he choked out, stumbling for her. Tears started rolling down his cheeks as he only made it a few steps before sinking to his knees and burying his face in his hands.

((That wasn’t planned, I swear... After that, Aiden is going to want to get out of Imladris to steam, so consider him volunteered for the Hanni rescue!))
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2006 03:07
"Yes, it really is a shame," Ari agreed. "We could have used the help, or at least a little inspiration." She was about to stand, getting ready to leave to attend one of the hundred thousand little matters that demanded her attention when Eadoin came into sight. He said her name and stumbled towards her before falling to his knees, tears streaming down his face. Ari leapt up and rushed to his side, her mind already working frantically. Eadoin - returned! Rolan, Narmion - are they okay? Rescue - successful? Others safe? Her thoughts flew in fragmented sections, battering themselves to death on the inside of her skull. She threw her arms around Eadoin and held him close to her, talking softly in Elvish. She didn't even know what she was saying, just hoped the sound of her voice could calm him, bring him back.

"Eadoin, Eadoin. `Melamin, oio naa elealla alasse'. Mani marte? What is wrong?" She wasn't sure she expected an answer. Still her mind was reeling over the quite possible - probable really - idea that Rolan or Narmion or both of them were dead. Someone was dead. Something was wrong. She wanted to soothe Eadoin right now, to comfort him. He needed her, as no one else did right now. "Melamin, stay with me; calm yourself please. Mani marte, melamin? What is wrong?"

Dirk smiled at the strawberry roan. She butted him roughly in the chest, almost knocking him over. He retaliated by tapping her on the flank as she sped away. He chuckled as he watched the horses. They were beautiful creatures. He wanted to spend time with them always. If he remembered correctly - and it had been a long time, so maybe his memory was not as sharp as it should have been - his eldest son had been just as infatuated with horses as Dirk himself was. Dirk hoped it was still true. Rynan was a cynical old man living in a child's body at times - perhaps time had cured him of that, though Dirk severly doubted it. Rynan, his own son, the strangely aloof and reserved oldest son - he missed him. He missed his wife as well and little Trevan. He wanted to be with them.

Dirk sighed and turned. There were a million and one things he wanted to have done that refused to line up and stay still long enough for him to knock them down. "Come here, Desidra," he called softly. The mare with the wounded flank came up to him then and he cleaned the deep cut. "There you go, beautiful lady of my heart," he said, and clucked to her with his tongue. She swatted him gently with her tail before slowly ambling off. The frisky foals surrounded him then, taking Desidra's exit as an excuse to come attack their favorite human. Perhaps he had treats! they screamed to each other in their high, baby voices. Dirk laughed and put up his arms to shield his body from their tiny hooves. "Calm down, and I'll give you all something," he said, still laughing. They knew what that meant. As one, their little hooves dropped to the ground and they stood still, all of them contriving to look as innocent as possible. For their efforts, they each recieved a cube of sugar.

Dirk watched them gallop off. One mare gave him a disgusted look, as if she was saying, 'Now I have to contend with the sugar-high colts, you crazy human.'

"My appologies," Dirk told her before excusing himself. He desperately wanted to remain, to watch the beautiful horses at play, but he needed to do a few other things - and sleep was very far down on the list, even though the darkness was enveloping everything, painting the world in different shades of gray.

Everything hurt! He wanted to scream in agony, but somewhere along the line he'd determined he wouldn't cry out. Or maybe it was just that he couldn't cry out. He couldn't remember. But everything was on fire! He was freezing and the flames were licking at his skin! Feebly the boy thrashed, living in half-dreams and nightmares that weren't all imagination.

Help me! his mind called, and he was sure he'd said it, but nothing came, and he shrunk farther into himself. The pain - it was too much for him now. He fled along the tunnel of darkness, wondering why there was no light at the end. Hadn't everyone said there was light? And he didn't have all the answers, either. That's them, though, he thought dully. Claimin' they's holds the keys's to ev'rthin' an' never really knowin' at all...

OOc// Trans (up by that ` thing): "My love, ever is thy sight a joy. What happened?" Then, "My love...what happened my love?"

Yes, it's a bit lame... Blame the sugar!
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2006 07:06
A voice cut through the screams inside her head.

“Neth!” Morgai hissed. “Neth, wake up!"

Morgai.

She stopped flailing as she opened her eyes and saw his face inches away from hers. "Mor-Morgai." Tears filled her eyes and she began to quietly shake as they began to flow down the sides of her face. She wrenched her wrists free from him and wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him down closer as she sobbed into his shoulder.

After several minutes, her tears eased slightly, and she pulled back from him and murmured, "Morgai, I have something I need to tell you, and I don't want you to be angry with me for not telling you this in the first place." She took a deep breath and kissed him softly, and then whispered, "I am a Kinslayer. I killed my brothers, and what remained of my battalion. The elves at Imladris will hunt me down if they find out, and that is why I came to you for protection. I hate them. I hate all of them. I have given so much of myself, and yet they never bothered to acknowledge the things I did for them. There was always someone else that they felt was better than me, deserved more praise, deserved the glory that my blood and sweat brought them, and I was pushed aside." She looked into Morgai's face and said, "I swear to you, you will never be in any danger from me, Morgai. I have put my life into your hands, because I know it was the right thing for me to do. Please don't hate me, and don't tell anyone what I have told you. I will do whatever you ask of me, serve you faithfully. Just please do not hate me. I...I need you, Morgai."

She brought her hands up to wipe away the tears on her face as she looked into his eyes, hoping that she had not just made the biggest mistake of her life.
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2006 12:49
((Er... yeah. That last post really got away from me. Now to figure out how to follow it up...))

Arato, after looking for several long minutes for Narmion or Rolan, found the boy. He was lying on one of the beds in the Halls of Healing, surrounded by several healers, all of whom were working to stabilize him. Meanwhile, Rolan was thrashing around weakly, caught in the midst of horrible fever-dreams if his temperature had been any indication. Arato stepped into the room.

"I - I'm sorry Arato," one of the healers said, recognizing the man as she hurried past. "I don't think there's much you can do for him. We're trying our best, but I don't know how well he'll recover."

"I know, and I may not be able to help, but perhaps it would calm him to have someone he knows nearby?" Arato suggested. Nodding, the healer continued on her way. The human crossed to the bed and sat down on the side of it, moving back to get out of the way. He took one of Rolan's smaller hands between his own and held it tightly. He hoped that, somehow, the boy would recover.

----------

"Kinslayer, hmm?" Morgai asked softly as he rocked Neth back and forth in his arms. "All the more reason to protect you, sweetling - except this time from your dreams. If you think about it broadly, I, too, am a kinslayer. I know it's not the same thing, my dear, but most of my life has been slaying my kind for my country." Morgai shrugged, pulling back to stretch for a few moments.

"That secret's not going to change the way I think of you, Neth," Morgai said, placing one hand beneath her chin. "In fact, I'm glad you told me - I was worried about your nightmares, sweetling."

----------

"I..." Eadoin choked, burying his face in Ari's shoulder. As she talked to him, he felt himself calming down. Before speaking again, he realized he needed to take stock of the thoughts bouncing around his head and form coherent sentences.

Alright. So Aiden had just yelled at him to grow up. What was the big idea with crying over it? It wasn't that upsetting, right? A replay of the event sent him back into tears. Alright. So it was a big deal, mostly because he was trying so hard to do something right, something helpful for once in his life. And Aiden had thrown it back into his face, calling him naive and stupid. That had stung a bit.

Second, Rolan and Narmion were injured - Eadoin cursed himself internally. That of itself was enough to send him into fresh waves of sobbing. The worst part of it was, he couldn't help them!

After many long minutes of sobbing into Arianna's shoulder, the sobs and tears turned into hiccups and he pulled back somewhat, wiping his face on his sleeve.

"I..." Eadoin began again. "I... 'm sorry if I worried you. Er... 'm just upset because... well... Aiden yelled at me... and I know it probably shouldn't be a big deal, 'cause I probably deserved it... and..." he trailed off uncertainly, realizing how stupid it sounded to his own ears. "'m sorry... But we got Rolan and Narmion home, if it's any reconciliation..."

EDIT: *grumble* One sentence didn't make any sense at all so I had to fix it.

[Edited on 20/6/06 by Nimeneth]
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2006 04:33
He felt something holding him. No! He wanted to get away from that world of pain - there was nothing there left for him. That insistant little voice in his head came again, pleading with him to consider turning around. He didn't want to. But the voice went on. It changed, echoing in the tunnel. Come home, it whispered to him. You're back, you're safe. Come home, little one; return to us. The voice wore away his resistance. He didn't want to fight and then couldn't remember why he'd ran away in the first place. He followed the echoes. They led him forward, towards a place that was still dark, but somehow welcoming. Rolan took the last few steps out of the blessed unfeeling and suddenly was in agony. But beyond that - he felt someone holding onto him gently. His eyes fluttered open, a few eyelashes caught in crusted blood still on his face. Nothing. Just dark. He knew dispair.

Ari kept her arms wrapped around Eadoin and pulled him to his feet along with her. "Come," she said gently. "Maybe talk will ease your mind. It is good that Rolan and Narmion have returned, though I worry for them both." She sighed, wanting to go out now and rip out the heart of whoever had held her precious friends captive. She still hadn't seen the results of the torture. If she had, perhaps rationale would not have held her in check and she would have gone hunting Di'shan. But as it was, Arianna had no idea yet how truly dreadful the results had been.

She led Eadoin through the complex hallways, keeping an arm wrapped around his waist, holding him close. In times such as this, little things hurt as much - if not more - than the big ones. She could understand his tears, even if she did not really approve of them.

"I love you Eadoin - never forget it. We need each other to get through this. We will not get through whole, but perhaps there will be something left of tattered lives that we can repair. That is all anyone who has known war can hope." She wasn't sure where the words had come from - generally she wasn't much for speeches. But they had the right feel, and even if her wording was a bit aloof sounding, she hoped it conveyed her meaning well enough. This was bigger than any of them, though it was nearly impossible to look beyond the selfish 'I' in times such as these. The hurts inflicted to someone loved cut much deeper than ones done to yourself. Ari knew. She didn't want anything tearing her Eadoin apart or she wouldn't be able to do what she needed to do. Selfishly, she wanted to keep Eadoin safe, even against the best interests of Imladris.

He might have been breathing before, but he hadn't been able to hear it. Now he could - his breath rattled like the wind when it attacked shutters. He felt pain, sharp and clear, and wondered for a moment why he had come back at all. Then the sound of voices caught him and after a moment of severe confusion he realized where he was. Elvish voices - he was home. Imladris.
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2006 07:18
As Morgai rocked her and spoke softly to her, Neth began feeling more and more safe in his arms. She looked up into his face as his hand tenderly cupped her chin, and in that instant, she knew.

She knew why she had felt such a strong attraction to Morgai, why even when separated from him for several hours, he was all she could think about.

Why even in the face of danger, even with the possibility of death looming before her, she had surrendered her weapons and herself to him.

You are meant to be with him.

Nethraueth had no idea where that thought had come from. She noticed something else too. Cradled here in Morgai's arms, the voices in her head were silent. She smiled at him, softly and said, "Thank you, Morgai. I was afraid you would not want me near you once you knew." Neth lifted her head to his and kissed him deeply. She would not tell him of the thought, just in case it might anger him.

She snuggled into him and then heard the call for breakfast. Her stomach growled, and she laughed. "Shall we go find something to eat, Morgai? I never did eat yesterday."

Neth was pulling on her leggings and boots seconds after asking the question, and she reached for her weapons and stopped short, staring at him. "May- may I take these?"

[Edited on 15/6/2006 by Iell-daughter-of-elves]
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 15, 2006 04:54
Narmion continued to fade in and out of consciousness as he was taken care of. When water was brought to his lips he drank greedily, having thirsted for what seemed days- but because his throat was raw he started choking. After that he was vaguely aware of being bathed and having his wounds treated. Everything was painful- every time he was touched, or moved… even the voices that kept falling into his dreams pounded in his ears. The sleep he so desperately sought kept eluding him as he was called back again and again to wakefulness. He didn’t speak to anyone in the moments when he was able to form a coherent thought- mostly he just moaned and groaned as his injuries were slowly sent on the path to healing.
When his shoulder was handled, though, he did cry out, and finally moved as if to pull away from the offending hands. Despite that the elven healers were being as gentle as possible Narmion blacked out again from the pain of it, this time unable to be woken again at once.

When he did wake he was alone- or mostly alone. One healer was sitting in a chair by the bed, watching him. Narmion didn’t turn his head to meet her gaze; indeed, he feared to move at all. His pain was lessened, though only to an awful ache, and he had bandaging wrapped around him in several places. He’d been scrubbed clean of the dirt and blood caking his body and dressed in a simple sleeping garment. Had he not been so dreadfully weary he might have blushed at the thought of someone else changing his clothes… but with a sigh he glanced around, deciding it wasn’t worth thinking about.

The sun was shining through the room’s one window, though how early or late it was in the day couldn’t be told. There was a certain relief at being home, out of the dreadful tent and away from the tormentor… but Narmion found himself feeling incredibly hollow inside. Yes, he was home… safe because his friends had come for him… the same friends that he had betrayed in his weakness and fear. He was no better than a traitor- he’d given away several of Imladris’s secrets to the enemy. His thoughts went to Rolan, undoubtedly in another room with healers… even if he did live, how could he ever return to a normal life? Sighing again, he finally turned his head and looked at the healer.

“How is Rolan?” he asked, his voice not as rasping but still scratchy. The elleth offered him water instead of an answer, and only when he refused to drink did she speak.
“He has a very high fever, “ she said, “And many hurts… the healers are still with him, as is Arato.”

He drank the water then, painfully aware of the pity in the elleth’s eyes. He didn’t want pity… for one, he didn’t deserve it… and for another, it made him feel even more helpless. The elf closed his eyes and tried to will himself to stop hurting, or to sleep again… but all he could do was wait uneasily until the time when Glyndr would arrive, so he could confess to the Captain the awful things he had done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

“Captain Glyndr is safe, Lalaith,” he said as she said nothing, probably due to worry for her husband. “The dwarf was sent into the camp as a diversion, and the Captain went looking for her after we had rescued Narmion and Rolan. He should be coming in shortly.”

As if hearing his words, the Captain’s grey warhorse carried him into the courtyard. With a bow to Lalaith, Arato left Carloth in the care of one of the stable hands, seeing as Aiden was pressing Eadoin for details of the rescue, and headed for the Halls of Healing.

Lalaith thanked Arato for his words, but they didn’t comfort her much. This just meant that Glyndr had been alright when last Arato had seen him- what if he’d gone back for Hanni and gotten into trouble? For a few minutes she stood where she was, watching the gates and wishing he’d come riding through them. He didn’t though… so, fretting and worrying she went to the healing halls to see what she could do to help. While not especially gifted as a healer she’d been working in the halls since the whole mess had started, and with teary eyes (both from her worry and for her wounded friends) she did much the same tasks as Istale, though more often than not she was looking out of a window, praying to see her husband’s familiar form appear.

When she heard the familiar squeal of Sylstar she almost dropped the bowl of herbal water she’d been carrying… but, holding up her skirts with one hand and balancing the bowl with the other she hurried to the room where Rolan had been taken, handing it off to one of the elves inside and then hurrying to find her husband.

When she spotted him he was speaking with Telyrn, and for just a moment she slowed her gait. The way he stood told her that he was weary and in pain. After the younger soldier left Glyndr put his hands to his head, looking even more tired. Lalaith’s heart ached for her love, and in only another moment she’d crossed the space between them and looped her arms about his waist in a gentle embrace, resting her golden head against his chest. She wondered if this day be the right ‘time’ to talk with him about what was on her mind…
“You worry me so,” she sighed, looking up into his face and then glancing at his bleeding shoulder. With a wan but very loving smile she drew his head down so that she could kiss him, then took his hands, “Come, my love, let me see to your hurts.”

And she did, tending every scratch with gentle hands behind the closed door of their chamber. She didn’t ask him what had befallen during the rescue or scold him for not wearing enough armor (though that was on the tip of her tongue). She only filled him in on the freed captives’ conditions as she worked, and told him how much she loved him. Once all of his wounds were taken care of she sat beside him on the bed, idly brushing his dark hair back from his so-handsome face.

“My love,” she started, “I have something to tell you… I have been meaning to share it with you for the last several days, but it never seemed the right time. I suppose with the way things have become, it will be best to stop waiting… the time will never really be ‘right’ for such an announcement.”

With a genuine smile- one that was neither tired, nor worried, nor forced, the elleth lay down and rested her head next to his on the pillow. Despite all that had befallen, all of the misery and pain suffered by so many- their closest friends included- this was happy news.
“I have become aware of a new presence, new life growing within me.. and not just one, but two. Glyndr-my-love, you’re going to be a father... and to two children!”

Lalaith’s smile was still present as she leaned close to kiss his cheek, waiting to see how he would react to her words.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bellas hadn’t been paying much attention to anything save the healer tending his shoulder when Istale seemingly popped out of nowhere, her pretty face masked with worry. Before he could greet her she spat out a question.

“What of the others? Hanni and Glyndr?”

“We couldn’t find Hanni,” he said after blinking at her for a moment, “she was disguised as an orc, and she decided to stay behind and keep causing havoc in the camp. She didn’t join us at the rendezvous point and we couldn’t wait long. Glyndr went back to look for her, so he will arrive eventually… hopefully with the dwarf.”

He didn’t mention Neth, not wanting to talk about it. Instead he looked up at Istale and offered her a dismal smile.
“Perhaps you should seek some rest… the healers have things well in hand, and I am sure you’ve been awake all night.”

(hope this is ok... I'm going to wait on Delvan and the messenger until everyone has moved further into the day a bit. pooped again from work, but hopefully being half-asleep didn't hinder my writing too badly)
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2006 03:30
Within seconds, the dark thoughts that had haunted Glyndr’s soul were shattered, and his prayer answered.

Lalaith was suddenly there in his arms ,her warmth close against his cold body.
“My Lalaith”, he whispered so softly, that only she could have heard him, “ Valar, I need nothing now except you, you are my life, you are my sanctuary my love, you keep me safe from evil’s curse..I need you with me ”.

Delvan’s words shouted louder in his mind as he kissed her soft, scented hair.
The Captain’s hatred, and determination to keep the man and his hideous race from Imladris and from his Lalaith grew stronger, into a dark obsession.

The Captain went with her to their chambers, longing for that clunk of the door behind them. It would then be just him, and his beloved Lalaith alone.

Safe in the haven behind their doors, and in Lalaith’s loving care Glyndr relaxed enough to listen as she told him of Rolan and Narmion.
How could he tell her that he must now go to question Narmion? He said nothing, although he guessed that she already knew.

Glyndr’s heart froze; a hand seemed to grip his heart with long, icy fingers, slowly crushing it.
She said she had something to tell him.
He looked at her, an anxious fear in ice blue, “Lalaith?” he asked, an icy fear in ihis voice, “What is it? Tell me, are you ill?”.

Glyndr had faced death many times with no fear in his soul, but now he feared death in a different way. He feared Lalaith’s illness or more terrifying, her death.

“You are going to be a father”.

The words did not register at first. Glyndr blinked .
Then it hit him with the full force of a demented dwarf swinging a war hammer at his stomach.

For a brief moment he said nothing , his ice blue eyes full of every emotion.

“Lalaith,…..my wonderful,, beautiful Lalaith”, all pains forgotten, the Captain rolled over pulling her with him off the bed.

“Lalaith!” he swept her off her feet, and swung her round, then pulled her to him in a powerful embrace , before rolling back with her onto the bed.

“My love”, Glyndr said softly , his voice trembling as much as he was .
He held her close, her head resting on his chest, “You have given me the most precious gift I should ever hope for, you have given me the gift of two new lives”.

“Thank you” he whispered as he buried his face in her soft hair, he kissed her neck softly , crystal tears of happiness soaking her hair and running like icicle raindrops down her neck..

Nothing would harm them, Lalaith and the new lives she carried. Glyndr would protect them with his life.

In a while he knew he must go to Narmion. Then to brief the rescue group, after that he must find Arianna and Arato…the Captain needed to discuss the defences for Imaldris …For now ..the outside world could wait.

Telryn sat at Glyndr’s desk exasperated.
He had been busy trying to find volunteers; he had found only half of the numbers needed, and he did not want Glyndr to have to order any soldier to go.

Telryn had said that he would find enough volunteers.
He hadn’t as yet.
And there was only another hour left before the Captain would be here to brief them.

The young soldier ran his hands through his hair; he was desperate for this command. To lead a rescue group ,and to be successful would prove to his Captain –god that he was worthy of the trust and responsibility put in him.

Telryn sighed , he stood and went to stand in the open door. “
I will give it one last try”, he said determinedly as he strode across the courtyard towards the training grounds.

OOC will get Glyndy to question Narmy in next post...He's too stunned at the moment to make any sense of anything :love:
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2006 06:07
The smith’s words were accompanied by a loud, angry equine squeal from the stableyard that announced the return of the captain and his ill-tempered demon of a steed. There were the sounds of a brief, vicious tussle, and Glyndr sounded furious as he berated just about every hapless thing within cursing range. She broke off the brief exchange with Bellas, all but flying to the window to see if he had succeeded in bringing Hanni back, but the sight of the battered captain alone, seated on the stone wall and glaring balefully up at the world at large through a curtain of loose, grimy strands of hair, cut through Istalë’s already fast evaporating hopes like a well-honed steel blade through spiderweb. If Hanni was lost among the vast enemy encampment, and given up for dead, it was almost certain she would not be making it out of there alive. Not with the kind of force they seemed to have. Not after she had seen the kind of things they were capable of doing.

A lump seemed to rise in her throat, constricting it as a noose with an almost tangible physical feeling. She let out the breath she had been holding all night, but it was not with relief. Rather, it only served to sink Istalë further into the state of trancelike depression she had been in for most of the night. She felt suddenly numb. Not numb with the cold fear that had first struck as Diablo returned alone with the two captives; it was the kind of cold of feeling yet not feeling, the kind that stemmed from her emotions struggling to catch up with wave after wave of unpleasantry and other such events carrying her forward so quickly that her thoughts floundered behind, not quite sure of where to begin digesting everything.

She did not trust herself to speak. With a wordless nod to Bellas, Istalë turned away quickly so that he would be spared the sight of her striving desperately to gain the upper hand over the burning sensation in her eyes. Dear Valar, why did she have to be so emotional? Just like some silly little elleth, she thought bitterly to herself. Always so delightfully frank with the world, always hoping things would turn out all right in the end, that they would be able to scrape together the happiest ending possible. And she had thought she had given optimism up long ago. She did not even know why she should be so concerned over the dwarf either – they had been acquainted barely a day, and Istalë had never known herself to be the type to take to anyyone immediately - but something about the stout, gregarious little creature had so entirely won her over. Hanni was strange, yes, but in an amusing, beign way, and more than friendly.

Istalë fled the room but was quickly cornered by the apprentice healers and coerced into running several more errands. She could not think of much else to do either, and so obliged, schooling her face into some semblance of composure.

[OOC: GAH. Brain is STUCK. Like lizards in a pot of uhu glue. O.o]
otterling
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2006 04:29
((OOC: I'm soooooooo sorry this took so long to get up. I hope you like it))

The squirrel chittered its disapproval once more at having its secret stash of nuts trampled by the unpleasant smelling intruder. Not one to be easily ignored, and with the bravado and self-righteous indignance that only small animals can truly posses, the squirrel reached for the nearest acorn it could find and hurled the tiny projectile at its foe. *plink* Hanni glared up at the creature from her hiding spot within the brush and growled, “Do that one more time, ye wee little monstrosity, and I’ll have ye for breakfast.” The threat was answered by a whole stream of angry noises from the impudent rodent and Hanni huffed, turning her back to it once more in favor of scanning the undergrowth for more dangerous enemies.

Her flight from the camp hadn’t been too difficult, despite a few close calls where her disguise had failed to trick a couple of more intelligent orcs. It was almost a pity that she had to remove them from the breeding pool, seeing as intelligence was so hard to find among their race, but she figured their mangled bodies would be found eventually and there was little doubt no one would weep their passing. She’d managed to do some pretty hearty damage to the camp before her exit and in the turmoil, Hanni had slipped as best she could out of the rings of firelight and into the dark cover of the forest. Her only exit presented itself all the way on the backside of the camp and she cursed her bad luck, knowing then she would be in for a long night of sneaking and hiding in the woods just to get back to the starting point without getting caught.

The armor she wore did little to aid with stealth, and indeed it seemed made to do just the opposite, clanking and clanging with every step until Hanni was sure she had alerted the whole of the forest to her whereabouts. Vines reached up to ensnare her legs, making the going slow, and Hanni struggled to free herself, muttering all the while that there were “plenty enough vines out here” and “why would the blasted elves need any vines inside their homes seeing as the forsaken things were EVERYWHERE else??” She was about ten feet within the wood line when a horn blasted out into the night air. “Blast!” she cried and then, without really thinking about it, Hanni threw herself bodily onto the ground, face first into some bushes, utterly convinced that someone had spotted her escape. Even as she lay there, spitting leaves out of her mouth and making sour faces as she tried to swat away the plant which had reached right up her left nostril, Hanni was certain the enemy must be bearing down on her. The sounds of the camp echoed behind her and she closed her eyes, held her breath and waited.

Nothing.

The frantic noises of the enemy did not advance on her position. They had not seen her. Hanni laid still for another few moments, ensuring that she was not just imagining things, then, slowly, she pushed up onto her arms and peered out of the brambles which concealed her like a great bristly cocoon. The night air was still and quiet, no birds sounded, no insects chirped around her and Hanni glanced around to make sure that legions of orcs were not waiting just around a tree to take off her head. The tents on the edge of camp swarmed with activity and through the haze of smoke and the swirling mass of bodies, Hanni could see men on horseback returning. They returned without prisoners. The breath she hadn’t realized she’d been holding slid out between her large lips, letting out a tiny whistle. She made to stand up, ready to head into the deeper woods and then skirt around the camp to get back to the rescue party, but the thicket she was in had better ideas and she instead found herself struggling just to get her legs under her. Many, many dwarven curses were laid upon the feet of that thicket and after much tugging, biting, and wrestling, Hanni broke free of its accursed grip. She stumbled a few moments and then gained what little balance she possessed, heading off into the deeper woods.

After about an hour of walking and trampling through the brush, Hanni had made it half way to the starting point. It was then that she noticed the ice captain, astride his large grey demon horse, drifting in an out of the shadows like a specter as he hunted along the wood line. He seemed to be looking for something, his gaze fixed on the chaos of the camp and it took a moment to realize what he was looking for…her. She waved her arms frantically but had to stop when she thought a few orcs had turned her way. The captain, sadly, did not see her and in an instant, he was gone into the night, vanishing with out a trace, leaving no hint of his passing. Hanni’s heart dropped into her feet. He’d left. They must have thought her dead or captured…that or the captain was an utter ass. She hadn’t decided which yet. Sighing with the realization that her night had just gotten a lot longer, Hanni began to trudge her way back to the spot she had last seen him, with any luck she could follow his trail back to Rivendell…not that luck was with her this night.

After another hour of plowing through the woods, Hanni came at long last to the spot where she had last seen the smithy Bellas. She wrenched the helmet off her head and tossed it into the bushes, grateful to be rid of its stench. Hanni hurried over to the spot where she had watched Bellas place her hammer and found, much to her dismay, that it was gone. Panic set in. Surely her prized weapon wasn’t in the hands of some stinking orc!! Hanni tried to decide which offence would have her throttling Bellas more: leaving the hammer in the woods for her, only to have it taken by the scum they were fighting, or him taking the hammer with him to keep it out of the enemy’s clutches...leaving her defenseless. She decided the latter one would earn him more leniency and thus she opted to only toss him around a little as opposed to stuffing his anvil in places it truly shouldn’t fit.

The next few hours were long and wearisome but not all that dangerous. The orcs had, for the most part, vacated the woods and retreated to their tents, trying to control the mess she had made earlier, and the way had become open for her as she slinked off into the darkness. The hoof prints had been surprisingly easy to pick up though she did not realize that this was only due to Diablo having to carry a lot more weight than usual, and Hanni was fairly proud of her “rangerly” skills as she tromped along the trail after them. The ride from Rivendell had taken them quite sometime and now Hanni was on foot, a much slower pace indeed for the stout little dwarf and she had only been wandering for about a half hour before a noise just up ahead stopped her dead in her tracks. The grunting squeal of an orc sounded just up to her left and before Hanni could leap off the road, the brute broke free of the undergrowth. Both of them stood staring at each other in shock and it was Hanni who reacted first, reaching for a weapon that was not there. The orc curled one hideous lip back in a victorious snarl, knowing he had a dwarf, alone and defenseless out on the trail. The wicked curve of his blade slid from its sheath with the sinister whine of metal on metal and Hanni retreated a step, bringing her hands up before her in a defensive posture. Phlegm gurgled in his throat, a mockery of laughter, as he inched closer to her, all the while waving his grimy sword menacingly. Hanni looked around desperately, searching the ground for something to use in her defense but nothing presented itself.

Time stood still for a moment and Hanni stared in disbelief as the orc rushed in on her. His blade seemed to take forever to descend and she found herself back pedaling as fast as she could to move out of harm’s way. The blade sliced down just as Hanni’s heel found a root sending her over backwards; her mind took a moment to process the swell of pain in her chest as the blade sliced through the armor, followed by a pain in her skull as her head connected firmly with a rock. The darkness of night gave way to a world of bright lights and dazzling flashes behind her eyes, leaving Hanni stunned and cross-eyed for a few moments; they were moments the orc did not waste. He had overstretched himself with his killing strike and when his target suddenly disappeared from in front of him, the orc went tumbling down after her, landing soundly on Hanni’s chest and slamming his own head into the metal plating. His recovery was faster, unfortunately, and Hanni came back to reality to find two strong hands wrapped around her throat. Her breathing became constricted, desperate gasps for air as the orc pressed his soiled fingers into her windpipe, a gleeful look of pure enjoyment on his face. Hanni’s thick fingers reached up and scraped against his armor uselessly, trying to find some hold which would allow her to remove him from her chest. Finally, she found purchase on his collar and with the last bits of her strength, she bucked her hips and heaved him up over her head. The orc tumbled to the ground behind her and Hanni coughed violently as her throat suddenly opened to the sweetness of air once more.

Hanni rolled onto her side, using the tree she had tripped over as leverage, and reached for the fallen blade that the orc had dropped. The creature came barreling towards her, the sword was barely lifted in time, the clang of two breastplates connecting echoed in the night and then all went silent. The orc twitched a bit, then slowly, he rolled off to one side, his own blade sticking out of his chest. Hanni lay still for a long while after that, fighting her body’s desire to doze off and save its remaining energy for healing the injuries she had just sustained. With some convincing, she had battled her way back to her feet, ignoring the throbbing in her head, and then weaved off into the night.

*plink*

Hanni’s train of though and all memory of the night’s events were gone in an instant as another acorn whacked her right between the shoulder blades. She turned slowly to face the squirrel once more. *whack* An acorn connected right between her eyes. Hanni’s face suddenly matched her flaming hair as all the blood rushed to it, setting her whiskers twitching and her eyebrows bristling. The night had been a horrendous one. First the brambles, then her hammer missing, then the orc, followed by an entire night of wandering through the brush until her hair (including the sideburns) was one gigantic matt of sticker burs and twigs. Hanni growled incoherently. The squirrel was the last straw. With a mighty roar, Hanni launched herself at the rodent and a battle ensured which left the bushes rocking, the ground rumbling and the tree shaking so hard that it could be seen from a half mile away. At last Hanni burst forth from the tree, panting and snarling like a wild animal, her face all red and her hair sticking up at odd angles; her foe, at last, had been vanquished.

*plink*

Hanni cussed, screamed, and almost burst into tears as she leapt back into the brush after the elusive squirrel. It was only after another fifteen or so minutes of struggle that Hanni finally re-emerged and stormed off towards Rivendell. Behind her, deep in the bushes, the squirrel chattered unhappily and re-covered the store of nuts she had so thoughtlessly crushed when the dwarf had first entered the undergrowth to rest. Hanni stumbled along the trail, hoping and calling to all the dwarven lords from times ancient that the elven city was close at hand. Her head throbbed and pulsed, her chest burned, and her body cried out for much needed rest, weak from blood loss. Someone, somewhere, granted her wish. Hanni shuffled dizzily over a hill and there before her, laid out like thin strands of pearls in the afternoon sun, was the city of the elves, its polished stone shining against the rough backdrop of water and woods. Hanni had never been happier to see elves. They could coat her room in flowers and she wouldn’t have cared, so long as they had good food, rest and perhaps some very strong ale to ease her pain. Her tired feet carried on long after the rest of the dwarf had given up, and it was by sheer force of will that she managed to stumble at last into the courtyard, to the astonishment and confusion of several stable boys.

The dwarf stood in the midst of the courtyard for a few moments, swaying uneasily, with her hair a mess of brambles and blood smearing the side of her face and the front of her armor. She stood glaring at the lads with the look of one possessed and it took a moment for the sudden appearance of the dwarf to register. One of the stable boys took off as fast as he could through the halls of Imladris, calling out as best he could, “Captain!! The dwarf is back! Captain!!”

Hanni watched him retreat but in her confused state of mind, she could only register one thought, and one thought alone.

“BELLAS!! Get me my hammer!!”

With that, the dwarf collapsed face first onto the cobblestones in a heap of armor and blood.
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2006 07:48
Aiden had been tending to Diablo very carefully, making sure that the horse was uninjured and able to stand on his own when he heard the cry out in the courtyard. He practically jumped out of his skin. Leaving Diablo for a moment, he stepped out of the stall and noticed the dwarf collapsed in the middle of the courtyard. Cursing, he hurried out of the stables and to the fallen dwarf.

Aiden rolled the dwarf over. More correctly, he tried to roll the dwarf over. The stout being, however, refused to budge. He pushed harder and finally managed to roll the dwarf onto its back. Looking it over, he turned to look around to see if anyone was moving to get an actual healer, but found the stable hands all staring at him. He glared back.

"Look, I know it's not every day you see a dwarf, but staring at it isn't going to help," he snapped at them. They shuffled their feet. "Can someone go get a healer?" One of the stable lads hurried off into the Last Homely House. The others slunk back to the stables. Aiden returned his attention to the dwarf.

The dwarf didn't look to be too badly injured. He was relieved for that - too many had already come back from patrols badly injured, leaving them with fewer soldiers than they needed. It did appear to be deeply asleep, which Aiden figured was a good thing, after having treked the six or so leagues, if Eadoin had judged correctly, from the camp back to Imladris in the middle of the night. A healer arrived at that moment. Aiden looked up.

"Sleeping," he declared. "Not sure how badly the dwarf was injured. I figured it was best for one of you to see to the dwarf, as there could be a chance the dwarf's injured more than it appears." He rose and allowed the healer to take his place before heading back to see Diablo again.

"You pushed yourself too hard out there, you know," Aiden commented to the black, finally getting down to brushing him down. "We are grateful you did, though. Just don't do it again unless you have to." He patted Diablo's neck and offered him an apple from his pocket. He rubbed his eyes with the back of his arm and stifled a yawn. It had been a long night.

----------

"If it makes you feel better, you may take your weapons with you to breakfast," Morgai said, untangling himself from the furs and blankets that were still clinging to his legs. He crossed to his clothing and picked up his tunic, wrinkling his nose in disgust at the soot stains that he had picked up from the previous night. Shoving everything unceremoniously to the ground, he opened it and pulled out a clean tunic before arming himself once again.

“Let’s go see if we can find something to eat,” the human said, offering his arm and a kind smile to the blonde elleth. Before he received an answer, an orc fell through the opening to his tent. The beast realized his mistake several seconds to late as it tried to scramble out of the way. It died while one of his brethren looked on, laughing. The laughing orc was met with the same end.

“Of all the times they could have interrupted!” he muttered, stooping to retrieve his weapons. Cleaning them and shoving them back into their sheaths, he stood and kicked one of the corpses roughly. “Just when I had a peaceful moment alone with her!” He prayed for another moment like that – perhaps they could talk later.

----------

“I know, Ari,” Eadoin mumbled, wiping the tears from his eyes as she led him along. “I know you do, and I love you too.” For a moment, he considered kissing her again, but decided against it – this was neither the time or place for it, considering their friends were lying wounded somewhere within the house. “Sometimes it’s just hard to remember that people do care for me – especially during times like these.”

For many long minutes, Arianna led Eadoin further and further into the house. Eadoin looked around curiously, not recognizing the path they were taking. His experience of the Last Homely House was limited – he only knew the gardens and how to get from the kitchens to his room and back again. He was very disoriented.

“Er… Ari?” he asked after a long silence. “Where are we going?”

----------

Arato was very surprised when Rolan’s eyelids fluttered over where his eyes had been. He shifted a little bit over the boy, hoping that he was awake to stay this time. He placed his four-fingered hand on Rolan’s head.

“Rolan,” he said softly. “Rolan, can you hear me?

((It's about time I posted, now isn't it?))
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2006 09:13
OOc// Er, Ari? I was wondering the same thing. Where *are* you taking him?

Diablo relaxed into the skilled hands of his groomer, Aiden. He was enjoying the brushing very much and somewhere in his horsey mind decided he was going to carry injured Elves around more often if this was his reward. A sharp cry interrupted the black stallion's happiness for a minute, however, as Aiden rushed out to go see what was causing the commotion. Briefly Diablo entertained notions of screeching at the two-legger to get his scrawny self back in here now, but thought better of it. Aiden would be back, the horse was sure of it. After all, the man-colt didn't have anything better to do than attend the most amazing horse in the world, now did he? With a snort, Diablo shook his head in agreement with himself. No, he didn't. Aiden would be back. Preferably soon.

He was.

"You pushed yourself too hard out there, you know," Aiden commented to the black, finally getting down to brushing him down.

Diablo gave Aiden The Look, telling the young man he knew exactly where his limits lay and he had not pushed himself too hard, thank you very much!

"We are grateful you did, though. Just don't do it again unless you have to." He patted Diablo's neck and offered him an apple from his pocket. He rubbed his eyes with the back of his arm and stifled a yawn. It had been a long night.

The stallion nodded his head. Of course they were happy he did that! None of the other horses would have been able to carry double without severe repercussions. Speaking of which.... After Diablo accepted the apple and gave the core back to Aiden (by dropping it on his head, of course) he fell asleep, dreaming happily of little horses running in circles chasing leaves. Life was good. For the moment, anyway.

Ari paused a little and gave Eadoin a small, sad smile. "We're in the Healer's place," she told him quietly. "I was hoping Rolan and Narmion might be a little better." She had a fierce belief that Rolan was too fiery to give up on life. He wouldn't! All the same, she wanted to be there, possibly to offer comfort if necessary to any of the Healers who felt they had failed should the boy...die. Even the thought of the word made her heart cleanch and her grip tighten on Eadoin's hand. Be glad it isn't your love dying, her mind whispered to her. Be glad it is only a very, very dear friend. But how could she be happy about that?

The door swung open at her gentle touch and she stepped into the Healer's rooms, looking around at the pale greens and ivory that decorated the wing. Nothing in the coloring was somber, but there was an air of mourning here nonetheless. It might have made it easier to have had blacks and deep reds clinging to every surface rather than the crisp white-green. Maybe in some way it would have made it feel less like walking into a tomb and more like entering a sanctuary of sorts. The thoughts running in her head made her dizzy. She dismissed them.

A Healer hustling by paused and looked at Ari. "Are you here to see someone, Arianna?" the Elf asked softly. Everyone's voice was soft here. Mutely, she nodded. The look in her eyes must have told the Healer exactly who it was she was here to see. Her hand still holding tightly to Eadoin's she followed the Healer as the Elf led them to a room not too far away. A door, partly ajar showed yet another room connected. "The boy is here," the Healer said briskly, "and Narmion is in there." He indicated the other room with a vague wave of his hand before leaving, no doubt to attend one of the numerous little tasks that had to be done. Ari wanted to sink into the floor.

Instead, however, she took slow steps forward, her eyes trained on the mangled wreck that was the first human she'd ever met. The little rascal had squirmed his way into everyone's lives and it felt like they were just now realizing how hard it would be to lose him. Oh my brave, foolish friend, she thought sadly, kneeling by his bedside, across from Arato. You were so strong and so full of life - how can life change so much from someone so little?

His eyes fluttered briefly and she strangled the startled sound that threatened to come forth. Yes, she knew he was blind, but knowing it and seeing it were two things entirely different, worlds apart. She looked up hopelessly at first Eadoin then Arato. This was beyond her. Now she wanted to be the one to be comforted, though she dared not ask for it.

Rolan, Rolan can you hear me?

Yea, I 'ear ye.

He fought the blackness once more, fought the weight pressing down on him from all sides. Something was holding him - curse it all! Fire poured through his veins and he felt as though smoke were rising from his body. No longer did cold chills overwhelm him.The fires flickered and died.

But he still could not see anything but the dark, unyeilding black of the underworld. Time and space were two different things entirely, warped now. Who and what? Where and when? Then the alwasy insistant pain - why?

He recognized the voice. It was the one he'd heard all the time while he was walking down the tunnel of black. He heard it call to him and designed to answer. "I'm here."
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2006 08:24
"If it makes you feel better, you may take your weapons with you to breakfast," Morgai said, untangling himself from the furs and blankets that were still clinging to his legs.

Neth grinned and began strapping on her sword belt. She turned and was about to ask Morgai about the two blades she had originally given up, but she stopped as she watched him assess his tunic and then sort through and find a new one.

She was amused by the fact that this man was so neat and careful with his clothing. From what she had seen of the men in the camp, he was just about the only one, save Ondet, who cared about his appearance. And Ondet didn't count. He was, after all, an elf, so his meticulousness was not at all surprising. As her eyes scanned over the man standing before her as he pulled on the fresh tunic, covering the scars that adorned his back, Neth was overwhelmed by a flood of desire, one that rivalled the feeling she had had in the woods while waiting for nightfall.

Then, she had promised herself she would have Morgai. Now she promised herself that she would give herself to him at the first opportunity. She knew that he, not being Elven, would not understand the ways of the Elven ritual that bound one elf to another, but she also knew that Men did say vows as well as a means of binding themselves to another. Something could be done. It would simply require a bit of thought and planning.

After all, she reasoned, it was obvious that Morgai desired her.

Why else would he have invited her to share his bed, and tried tempting her the night before? Why would he be sworn to protect her, and why would he have been so abrupt in backing off when she explained how inappropriate them sharing a bed would be?

Then the thought of Ondet skittered through her mind. He had sworn if she failed him that Morgai would be the one to kill her. But could Morgai do that if she were bound to him by marriage vows? She doubted it, but he had faithfully served Ondet for five years. What would his master think of him taking the elleth for his wife?

She shook her head. All this thinking before breakfast was making her head hurt. She needed to eat and stop thinking about Morgai that way. After all, she couldn't plan out his life for him...or could she?

“Let’s go see if we can find something to eat,” the human said, offering his arm and a kind smile to the blonde elleth.

Nethraueth reached for his arm, and suddenly the orc fell through the tent flap. her hand flashed to her belt, but Morgai was quicker and both the orc on the ground and his laughing companion were dead in a matter of seconds. She heard Morgai mutter under his breath, and what she heard made her heart leap.

“Of all the times they could have interrupted! Just when I had a peaceful moment alone with her!”

A sparkle came into her eyes and she knew then exactly how Morgai felt.

She took his arm after he had retrieved his weapons, and as they headed for the tent flap, she intentionally stepped on the dead orc lying inside, grinding his face into mush with her boot. She kicked the one outside the tent in the head as she and Morgai walked past, and stared down several orcs that dared growl at her for it.

Once they got their breakfast sorted out, Neth went to retrieve something to drink for herself and Morgai, and as she turned to return to his side, she found the way blocked by a man who obviously was still drunk from the night before. He made a grab for her, and she punched him in the face, and the resulting sound caused several others to turn and look at them.

When the man spun around from the force of the punch, Neth kicked him in the kidneys and sent him to his knees, and then brought her dagger to rest against his throat. "Maybe you'll think twice before trying to paw me again," she hissed. Then she smiled and said, "Too late." She drew the blade across and let the man drop dead at her feet.

She walked back over to where Morgai was and said softly, "Here you go," handing him his goblet. She sat down and resumed eating as if nothing had just happened.

On the way back to Morgai's tent, Nethraueth commented nonchalantly, "Oh, by the way, Morgai. I am a better fighter than i originally led you to believe. I hope you can forgive me for that, but I was afraid if you knew I was a warrior that you would deny me aid or fight me, and I could never beat you."
<< First45678Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email