Register

<< First23456Last >>
Author Topic:
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Ever After (Keeper!)
on: May 16, 2006 08:34
OOC-Just in case anyone is wondering, I do have elflyn's complete permission to do what I did in this post.
Hanni offered him a particularly warm smile and suddenly her mood was lifted considerably. “Not interrupting anything, am I?” she asked jovially.

"Not at all, not at all. Just about to do a little practicing." Neth never moved her eyes from Glyndr's.

The furious Captain snapped his demon stare back to Nethraueth, “ What do we do now?….We do what we came here to do, my feisty elleth. We spar. And you can demonstrate just how good you are”.
Glyndr tossed his long hair back out of his eyes, and nodded towards the side door. “The cobbled courtyard outside is a good a place as any”...The Captain stepped back a pace, and looked towards the side door, “Well tamer of demons, do we go outside, or do we practice here?” he said , none of the cold fire had left his eyes, Glyndr enjoyed a challenge.“ Make up your mind, I have an important appointment at midday, I do not want to be late”

"Oh, my mind is made up, Captain." Neth strode out to the courtyard and turned toward the doorway to watch the Captain come out to the courtyard. She had not yet taken a fighting stance, not until Glyndr did, because she wanted to prepare herself to counter whatever he did.
“ Ah….Istalle”, the Captain had seen her near the door, “ Why don’t you come and watch our practice,” Glyndr asked , but in truth commanded, “As a new recruit, you may learn a thing or two” .

"Yes, please, do come watch. I always feel better with an audience," she called to the elleth. She looked vaguely familiar to Neth, and she was eager for others to see her bring Glyndr down a few pegs. She knew he thought she was just some female. She would show him otherwise.
Glyndr was waiting for her to attack, she could feel it. So she feinted to one side, and when he went to defend, she backed off and slapped his arm with the flat of her sword. A wicked smile flitted across her face and lit up her blue eyes. She was going to enjoy this.

As the two of them circled, there were several times she left herself open, but Glyndr was not tagging her as hard as he could, and none of the blows would have been fatal in combat. He knocked her back once, and cracked her across the lower leg, and she retaliated by bringing her foot up to his stomach and delivering a hard kick. She whipped out her second dagger and flipped it end over end at him, and Glyndr managed to knock it away with his sword at the last second. He snarled something under his breath and came on full force after that, and soon the two sparring combatants looked as if they had fought off a group of thirty orcs single handedly. Neither one was willing to concede to the other one, and soon were beating each other up pretty severely.

They got dangled up together, and Nethraueth brought up her elbow and hit him in the face at the same moment that he struck her in the side of her head with his fist. Both of them stumbled away from each other, and stood there staring at each other for a minute before Glyndr cracked a smile and said, "You're in."

Neth bowed her head to him and then said, "I think I shall head over and have the edge sharpened on my daggers and sword." She smirked at the Captain and cracked, "Oh, and Captain. You might want to do something about that eye before it swells completely shut." She wiped a trickle of blood from the corner of her mouth, laughed and walked away.

[Edited on 16/5/2006 by Iell-daughter-of-elves]

[Edited on 18/5/2006 by Iell-daughter-of-elves]
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2006 10:09
Soon after familiar landmarks began to appear, Eadoin and Amata reached the slope leading down into the gorge that housed Imladris. Eadoin reined his bay mare as they began to descend the side. It wouldn't do anyone any good if she broke her leg. Once at the bottom, he spurred her across the bridge and through the gates, startling the guards staioned there.

Arato and Aiden, having heard the sound of metal horseshoes striking the cobbles, came out of the stables. Carloth accompanied them, as Arato was using her for support. She wickered to Eadoin's horse, who wickered back in greeting.

"Eadoin!" Aiden said, coming forward to meet his brother. Eadoin slipped from his horse's back and shoved the reins into his brother's hands.

"No time to talk, have to see the Captain, important news! Take care of her," he said as he started to walk away.

"Eadoin, wait a moment!" Arato said, limping forward. He passed Amata and looked up at her with a smile. "Welcome back." Eadoin paused for Arato to catch up and let his brother lean on him for support. "Glyndr should be in the guardroom."

"Why are you coming with me?"

"He offered me a position as his second in command. I plan to take it, so I need to see him."

"Good for you. He needs looking after."

"I swear you and Aiden share a mind sometimes." Their conversation died off as they walked further from the stables.

Aiden, meanwhile, still stood outside the stables, staring after his brothers. Eadon's bay was walking towards the stables, trying to get Aiden to let her into her stall. Finally, Aiden sighed and tured to Amata.

"Welcome back," he said with a grin. "I'll take care of your horse, since I'm heading back into the stables anyways." He walked forward to took her reins. "You'll notice that a lot has changed since you left, I hope you'll somehow get used to it." The young man winced slightly as he looked sadly around the mostly empty courtyard.

---

As they rounded the corner of the Last Homely House, Arato and Eadoin spotted one of the elleths who had gone out with Glyndr walking away from the Captain.

"Captain," Arato said in greeting. Eadoin nodded nervously to the elf before starting to speak.

"Captain, I found where our enemies have made camp," he said. "They've got Narmion and Rolan and..." Eadoin trailed off, shuddering. "They were torturing them. For information, I think. I... I though you'd like to know..."

((Will post Morgai in another post... *sighs*

EDIT: Realized that my post was a tad confusing, so I edited it to hopefully make more sense...))

[Edited on 17/5/06 by Nimeneth]
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2006 11:28
OOc// o.o looks like I missed a bit... *rolls up sleeves* Here we goes!

Diablo heard movement. He lifted his head slightly, gazing dully out at the forest that was so close, and yet so impossible to reach. His eyes lighted upon a silver shadow in the trees, horse-shaped. His nose picked up the sharp odor of the stables and horse sweat. Another odor caught his attention and Diablo had almost placed it when he caught the movement of someone coming towards him. Immediately his head dropped and he nosed at the dirt, sighing unhappily.

He knew the smell of that one; didn't even have to look to know who it was. The smell of fear and hate, cruelty, blood and twisted pleasure was almost tangible to the black stallion. The man made some cruel-happy-twisted-bad sounds. Diablo ignored him, still nosing the ground as if it would suddenly sprout grass for him to eat. His ears caught the sound of the retreat of the one Diablo called in his mind 'Fear'.

It was a good description of the aura that surrounded the man, the horse though. It incorporated most of the scent that the man had, and his demeanor too was captured by the name. Not that Diablo was really concious of having named the Haradrim. Unconciously, like most animals, he had placed a detailed label on the person he associated with. This one was Fear. But, the stallion though, lifting his head as the man left, he refused to be afraid of Fear.

The nicker came again. Diablo refused to respond. He shifted slightly, wondering if Sylstar would come to him. He'd identified the warhorse by the lingering smell of Glynder-ness still present on the other from so much time spent with the Elf. The warhorse did come, nosing Diablo from withers to rump, pushing him gently, then more insistantly with his nose. Diablo remained perfectly still until Sylstar had stopped nudging him so roughly. Then, fast as ever, he spun on his heels and caught a hold of Sylstar's mane between his teeth, giving a horse-laugh at the other's wide-eyed surprise.

Diablo released the warhorse's crest, giving a snort of very insincere apology for ruining Sylstar's dignity. He prodded the other horse into action, explaining quickly in their own language of soft snorts and whinnies what the warhorse could do to help. The tethering system used to keep Diablo from being able to leave was an iron stake nailed into the ground along with a rope too short for the stallion to get a grip on with his teeth. He couldn't slip out of it and pulling away cut off his supply of air immediately. Diablo asked Sylstar to bite through the heavy rope. He wanted to be free again. He wanted to save his boy-colt. He wanted to feel the sickening crack of a certain man's skull as his hooves pounded into it...

He couldn't seem to content himself with staying in one place. Even after retiring to his tent, Dirk still itched to be moving, walking, pacing - something! He couldn't stand the way his muscles kept knotting up and how jumpy he was becoming. Even perfectly normal sounds - like a set of orcs joking a trifle too loudly - were making him start as though thunder had roared unexpectedly. The third time it happened, Dirk lept to his feet, cursing heatedly and left his tent yet again. He knew why he was so jumpy. He knew why he was having a crisis of conscience. It was that thrice-cursed boy he'd pulled off the stallion's back that was doing it.

Dirk stalked around the ceremony, carefully avoiding being in Di'shan's line-of-sight. He knew what he had planned wasn't entirely plausible, given the situation, but he hoped the main stream idea behind it would at least go through. He wanted the captives out of here. Now. If he had to sit up one more night listening to their screaming voices... Granted, the screams should be quite a bit quieter tonight - Don't even think that! he scolded himself. You're going to get them out of here and if it's possible, you're going to get yourself out as well. With them or without them, so long as you get baack to Melanie and the kids. So that was his plan, was it? Dirk would have laughed if the situation hadn't been so grim. He'd never had much of a head for plans outside battle...

His boots crunched outside Di'shan's tent. For a long moment Dirk debated the wisdom of carrying through this course of action. He always could try to talk Ondet into releasing these two by making it seem a tactical advantage. The Elf had no idea of how tactics worked...

No. I won't do that. He couldn't. Taking a deep breath, Dirk stealed himself for the results of Di'shan's latest session and opened the tent flap, stepping inside.

OOc/// grr. will edit if gets time.
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2006 11:53
The Captain walked slowly to face Neth, moving easily in his feline suppleness.
She seemed sure of herself, the Captain was cautious..."Let's play it slowly" he thought.."just to start with".

After a few close contact clashes Glyndr became only too aware that this female was no new recruit. She knew what she was doing.

The agonising kick to his stomach,and the closeness of the daggers sharpened his mind to battle mode....She would get no quarter....this was for real.

The Captain fought as if with the enemy, he used every well practiced military move, and some vicious ones of his own.
This was no ordinary sparring amongst warriors.
This was very different. She met him , blow for blow.

At the final clash the Captain's experience, and instinctive assessment of his warriors told him that this Nethraueth was his equal in skill.. Both acknowledged the other...a sort of truce was given.

The Elf Captain would value her skills in the depleted ranks..she has proved her worth.

Glyndr returned her bow , and watched as she left.

He took a deep breath, and let his sword drop to the ground.It fell with a clatter on the cobbles.
Glyndr had suffered many more bruises and cuts, this intense sparring had taken much out of him.

He looked up suddenly as Arato and Eadoin approached, "Arato, what is it?" he could see the man was anxious.

" You know where they are? the enemy?" he frowned, "Torture..Narmion? the brat?"

The Captain picked up his fallen sword and replaced it in the scabbard, "Arato, Eadoin, I have called a meeting late this afternoon..be there...we must plan ".

Glyndr winced as he eased his shoulders, " Eadoin thank you for this information" The Captain placed a grazed, bloodied hand on the man's shoulder. " Go get some rest..we will not leave Narmion and the child to torture..they will be brought back here , to safety.I promise you".

The Captain blinked, and pushed his damp hair back from his face.."he was in a great deal of pain,"Go both of you..I shall wait here a while...and remember Arato , I still await your answer".

OOC thanks for pm Nimmy...edited too!

[Edited on 17/5/2006 by elflyn]
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2006 02:43
"Actually, Captain," Arato began, leaving his brother's supporting arm, "I came to give you my answer." He bowed to the elf, leg protesting every movement. "I'm honored that you'd ask me to become your second-in-command. I wish to take that position as soon as I may."

Straightening up, Arato winced slightly as his leg once again reminded him of his current state of health. "We will be at the meeting this afternoon, but between now and then, is there anything in particular that you'd like me to do?"

"Arato...?" Eadoin asked softly of his brother, glancing at Glyndr before stepping forward next to Arato again. "I should go find Arianna, so..."

"Go," Arato replied to his brother. "I'll manage on my own, somehow."

"Thank you." Eadoin hurried off in search of the elven woman in question.

----------

A short search led Eadoin straight to Arianna. She was sitting by the window, staring dully at the scenery as he entered. He crossed the room to her as quickly as he could, kneeling next to her and putting a hand on her arm.

"Ari?" he asked softly. "About yesterday... I know I should have stayed for you. I-I don't know why I ran off like that, but I have good news." He paused for a moment. "I found out where Rolan, Narmion, and Diablo are. Glyndr's called a meeting this afternoon regarding how and when we're going to get them home safely."

When she didn't respond right away, Eadoin dropped his gaze guiltily and took one of her hands between his own. "I... I'm sorry that I ran off like that. Forgive me?"

((*is picturing Eadoin as a puppy there, for some reason* There. Posty done!))
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2006 04:15
Nethraueth went back again to her bathing chamber and sank into the water slowly. Bruises had begun to sprout on her skin, and as she splashed water onto her face, she had to bite back a cry of pain caused by the water splashed into the cut caused by Glyndr's punch and the small cut near her mouth. She closed her eyes and sighed, sinking into the water and letting it soothe her aches.

She dozed, and began to dream, drifting along, dreaming of the furious battle that had taken the lives of her brothers. She saw the blade thrust into the younger, and then turned to see her other brother rushing to his aid, just before he was cut down.

Her eyes popped open and she found herself staring at the wall opposite her. Neth shivered in spite of the hot water, and slowly pulled herself out of the water, dressed, and exited the room quickly, looking for nourishment and the dull drone of voices that would drown out the screams of her brothers that echoed inside her head.
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2006 06:50
The Captain almost smiled as Arato said that he would accept the post of his second in command..
“Thank you Arato”, he said , the relief evident in his voice, “ I have every faith in your abilities, As I have said, it will be no easy task, Much will depend on you and I to boost the morale of the warriors we command, and to give courage to those new recruits”.
Glyndr frowned, he hoped and prayed that Telryn had managed to recruit as many new warriors as he could. They would be needed.

The Captain nodded a bow , and watched as Eadion left.
He turned back to Arato,“I must return to my office for a while, You ask what you can do?” the Captain eyed the man ,the frown deeper, “Go rest, you are obviously not fit, just be at the meeting this afternoon”.

Glyndr walked slowly back to the office, and although he tried to hide it, he limped noticeably, every step agony.
He cursed Nethraueth to goblin hell and back.

The Captain kicked the door of his office closed behind him and went to sit at his desk; he had no intention of working.
He felt as if a whole army of orcs had attacked him, then thrown him into a pit of starving wargs, the spreading warmth across his stomach told him that the wound had been reopened by Neth’s well-aimed kick.

Glyndr could not, would not, go back to Lalaith until he had cleaned himself up, but for now, all he wanted to do was rest.
He lay, sprawled across his desk, and closed his eyes to rest.

“Captain”, Telryn knocked hard on the door and burst energetically into the room , “ I have organised the mee…” he stopped in mid sentence ,his mouth open in shocked surprise.

“ Damn you soldier! Glyndr sat up sharply and swore as viciously as he had during the battle, “ are you forever haunting me? and stop that impersonation of a stranded fish”.

Telryn snapped his mouth closed, “ What happened Captain?” the soldier walked slowly towards his Captain –god, “ You look..”.

“I know how I look soldier” Glyndr snarled, “Make yourself useful, and fetch me hot water, towels and a bandage” he demanded .The glare ice daggers.

“Yes Captain…” Telryn backed towards the door, afraid that if he turned his back, his Captain would throw something very hard at him., “I will not be long”.

“And soldier,” Glyndr growled as he began to take off what little armour he wore, and his tunic, “Hurry ,I have to be out of here in a half hour , I have an appointment at midday…DO NOT say anything to anyone ..Understand?”

Telryn nodded and ran.

Sylstar shook his head and snorted, as he backed away a pace, Diablo had surprised him with the grip on his neck and mane.
The grey moved back closer; he nudged the black again and nickered in acceptance of the apology. His pride hurt more than he was.

Sylstar’s ears pricked forward as he listened to Diablo’s request, the hatred of humans growing stronger as he realised what the cruel contraption that held Diablo captive could do.

The warhorse gripped the tether in his sharp teeth, close to the stake.
He bit hard and twisted, working at the tether in furious rage.
It split, Sylstar tossed his head and snorted in defiance…he kicked out in a triumphant buck…Diablo was free.

[Edited on 18/5/2006 by elflyn]
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2006 01:58
[OOC: Good grief, school really squeezes the creative juices rather unmercifully. Have almost *no* idea what to do/say/write/etc. >< Sorry if I’m just repeating what happened over again. Needed to work off some steam with some writing.]

The captain’s voice held too much of an edge, too much of an undercurrent of steel, to be a simple request, and so it was Istalë followed the strange pair nearly unwillingly out into the courtyard, lagging a little behind in the shade of the large double doors. At the end of the day she was still no warrior and had a very strong wish not to get involved in any such scraps. She watched the captain and elleth stalk out into the centre of the cobbled area, each with his or her eyes still trained, hawk-like, on one another, the cool yet blazing intensity of the glares becoming very disconcerting indeed. In the golden glow of filtered sunrays Istalë found herself seeing the two of them as a pair of illuminated shapes, lamps, even – one dark and emanating a colder, more subtle light, the other bright and blazing with barely hidden fire, revelling in her own power. They reminded her of a pair of predators, or perhaps stallions (in a purely figurative sense, of course), circling, sizing each other up, coiling, preparing to spring. Here were two individuals almost born and bred to the sword, both with auras of supreme confidence, of anticipation, even, of a good fight.

Istalë had never really known or figured out her own views on this area. On one side, she was grateful that such skilled warriors existed to protect their home against the seemingly never-ending advance of shadow. In fact, she sometimes thought that proper usage of the blade and other such weaponry was an art form in itself, beautiful in its own right, the wielders artists rather than fighters. On the other hand, she had wondered not a few times why sparring, why such gloriously open displays of strength and prowess were necessary. The scholar fully understood the need for warriors to hone their skills, to keep themselves in top form, but was it really necessary to take these displays out of the realm of function and show off just because of that elusive thing called “honour”? What was it that made them challenge each other to fights just because their perceived honour, or name, or reputation was at stake; what made them get so riled up as to have to demonstrate their skills against their own allies at the slightest provocation? What made the otherwise great captain and this beautiful elleth view each other as sworn enemies rather than comrades, to waste time and strength on each other instead of working together against the much larger and very real threat at hand? For some reason, Istalë was not quite sure she would ever comprehend this.

The fight unfolding in front of her was slowly but steadily reaching more brutal levels, the adversaries becoming bloodier, more violent with every stroke. What had started as a fluid dance between two partners was turning into an all-out grievance-airing session, each fighting like the other was some vile creature of darkness, every sweep, every stab, every precisely calculated move aimed to kill or at least to hurt. They had broken the usual conventions of a sparring match; apart from the sharp, almost melodious “tsing!” of metal meeting and sliding off metal, amidst the blur of whipping, lashing raven and gold locks and flashes of silver-white steel, she could hear the characteristic dull thud of flesh on flesh, see them endeavour to inflict as much physical harm on each other with actual bodily contact. It was not long before even the weapons glinted, discarded, on the ground.

And then as quickly as it had begun, it was over. They stood frozen in the middle of the courtyard, as if in shock; Glyndr’s fist was deep in the side of Nethrauth’s head, the elleth’s lithe form twisted under his grasp as a sharp, pointed elbow positioned itself delicately in his own face. They remained so for a good few tense moments, moments so drawn out that the silence itself was loud, before the stillness was shattered as the two broke apart, stumbling, limping a little, seemingly in their haste to put distance between themselves.

To Istalë’s immense surprise, the captain grinned through a swelling eyelid and bruised jaw, and Nethraueth returned the favour. Stiffly, they honoured each other with short, curt bows that accentuated the many wounds and bruises they had sustained, and then the elleth turned smartly on her heel with a smirk to Glyndr’s grudging approval, and left them.

She would have left then, perhaps to find something to occupy herself with, when the frantic three-beat clatter of shod hooves on cobblestones announced the imminent arrival of a pair of riders on a single cantering horse, all three in an obvious hurry as they rounded the final corner and were greeted by several people rushing out of the stables in anticipation. It was Arato’s brother Eadoin, and riding pillion behind him was a lady Istalë knew – the half-elven Amata! [OOC: I figured if Istalë’s been around Rivendell she *should* have known Amata, though maybe not well. Feel free to correct me on this if the following it needs changing!] What was she doing, coming back from Rohan? As Arato took his brother aside and the pair of them approached the captain (who still looked the worse for wear), the third brother Aiden took Amata’s horse, and so Istalë bounded down the steps and made for her.

“Amata! What’s happened to put the both of you in such a fluster, and why are you back?”

She paused for a moment.

"I must say you chose a very opportune time to return though." Istalë added wryly and with the slightest hint of a dry sarcasm. She did mean it, both ways.
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2006 04:36
"Ari?" he asked softly. "About yesterday... I know I should have stayed for you. I-I don't know why I ran off like that, but I have good news." He paused for a moment. "I found out where Rolan, Narmion, and Diablo are. Glyndr's called a meeting this afternoon regarding how and when we're going to get them home safely."

When she didn't respond right away, Eadoin dropped his gaze guiltily and took one of her hands between his own. "I... I'm sorry that I ran off like that. Forgive me?"

Ari glared past him, still not really sure if she wanted to answer him. But the silence stretched longer and finally it was too much for her. She didn't really want to be angry at him anyway. She didn't want to alienate him.

Ari let a smile drift across her face, but she was afraid it was too forced. She tried again and it felt a little more natural. "Eadoin -" she said, "I - I..." she let her voice fade and just wrapped her arms around Eadoin. "Where did you go?" she asked after a little bit. She wasn't really sure she wanted to know, but it felt better to talk right now than to just sit in silence. It was a flaw of hers, she supposed, that she needed to speak to understand people. It just seemed to open her up to a myriad of problems and even if useful, hurt sometimes as well.

"I missed you," she added. "I wouldn't want to see you hurt. I love you, Eadoin." That last bit had come out without her permission. She flinched back from Eadoin, withdrawing from the comfort she felt when around him. You've really put your foot into it now, Arianna, she scolded herself. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Now if you're lucky he'll pretend he still feels comfortable around you... She thought about trying to take the words back, or dismiss them as stress talking, but she knew Eadoin would pick up on it. He knew her almost better than she knew herself.

So she waited, and hoped.

The warhorse gripped the tether in his sharp teeth, close to the stake.
He bit hard and twisted, working at the tether in furious rage.
It split, Sylstar tossed his head and snorted in defiance…he kicked out in a triumphant buck…Diablo was free.

He was free. The black stallion would have screamed his challenge to the camp if he hadn't been so tired. Silence was much more refreshing than vicious defiance, anyway. Or that's how it felt now. Diablo started towards the forest, then paused. Instead of going with Sylstar the way the warhorse obviously expected, the black horse turned toward the camp and began to slink through it, like a whipped dog returning to its master. He only dimly registered Sylstar's protests. He had a boy-colt and friend to rescue. This was, after all, the reason he had stayed.

Dirk took one look at the captives and their paralyzed expressions upon seeing him and fled. He hadn't expected the gruesome hurts that he'd seen on them. Actually, if he was honest with himself, he hadn't expected much of a difference from what they'd looked like before they were handed over to Di'shan. He regretted that assumption now. Unless he was very quick, someone would know he'd been to Di'shan's tent. He had to find someplace to retch. Now.

Everything in his stomach seemed determined to escape. Each time he thought he'd finished coughing up bile, the scars and petrified expressions of the two captives swam before his face and he retched again.

If anything, the sight of the two captives made him less inclined to go try to save them. He saw in them the tortures that could befall his own family. He didn't want that! Dirk knew he had a family to protect. It was his duty, even so far away from them. And Dirk had a way of being fanatically devoted to duty. He wouldn't fail his remaining children and wife by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It had been madness to try to rescue the captive anyway. They probably would have made a ruckus and roused the whole camp.

Finally - finally! - he regained control of his violent rejection of lunch. He wiped his mouth on a corner of his sleeve and slipped away from the puddle of sick. He thought he'd gotten away clean. And maybe he had, but the nagging sense that someone was watchig him followed him. Then the sensation vanished and a big, black shadow appeared in front of him. It was that horse.

Dirk had no idea how the horse had freed itself. There really was no way that it could have contorted its neck to bite the tether and the stake was hooked - even if it could have been pulled up, the stallion would have been strangled before the task was accomplished. He shook his head, thinking maybe he was seeing things, but the menacing stallion before him - teeth bared, red toned eyes, ears flat against the skull - convinced him otherwise. He retreated to the main camp, badly shaken and hoping no one would notice.
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 20, 2006 02:02
"Welcome back," he said with a grin. "I'll take care of your horse, since I'm heading back into the stables anyways." He walked forward to took her reins. "You'll notice that a lot has changed since you left, I hope you'll somehow get used to it." The young man winced slightly as he looked sadly around the mostly empty courtyard.

Amata nodded slowly, following Aiden’s gaze. “I can see the difference.” A pang of bitterness rippled through her as she remembered the last time she’d stood outside the stables. She had still had pink hair…
"It's still good to be back, though."
She was about to follow her horse into the stable, wanting to spend a few cautionary moments to check that no damage had been done in the collision with Eadoin when a voice alerted her attention.

“Amata! What’s happened to put the both of you in such a fluster, and why are you back?”

She paused for a moment.

"I must say you chose a very opportune time to return though." Istalë added wryly and with the slightest hint of a dry sarcasm. She did mean it, both ways.

Amata managed a smile as she turned to see Istalë. It was so strange being among her old acquaintances again, even though only a year (?) of separation had passed. Seeing the scholar reminded her of her brother, but instead of making inquiries, she answered Istalë’s questions.
“Better opportune than inopportune.” She sighed. “And as for me being back – I didn’t intend to be back… but, I’d have to blame the rumours for recalling me. How could I stay away when news reaches me that my friends are being ruthlessly slaughtered?” She paused, and apologised to Istalë. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to sound so… pessimistic.” Then, lowering her gaze to the ground, she said quietly, “Narmion and Rolan have been tortured.” After a brief silence she continued in a forced tone of brightness. “There’s going to be a meeting this afternoon… but first I think I need to clean myself up.” She glanced around. “I don’t suppose you could remind me where the bathrooms are?”

She knew their whereabouts of course, but she felt it imperative that the subject be changed.

[Edited on 20/5/2006 by anduril269]
otterling
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2006 04:49
((OOC: Sorry, I had to back track a little to catch up Hanni. Also, yes, Otterling knows that Lord Elrond is dead but Hanni and the dwarves don’t. They didn’t even know Balin had been killed until long after the fact. They suck at keeping up to date on upper world news.  ))

Suddenly the guard room had just become a lot more crowded as Istale entered behind Hanni. The little dwarf woman took almost no notice at first, her concentration locked on the tall elfish captain who had just acknowledged her own presence.

He glanced back at Nethraurth, “The she warrior and I are about to ..er…practice a little swordplay and fighting skills,”
Glyndr arched an eyebrow at Hanni, “ skills I have seen that you are no stranger to, even if you are half our stature and use a damned great axe, Stay watch if you like, before you go to the forge with the smith”.

Hanni, no stranger to friendly rough challenges, allowed herself to do as most dwarves would in her place. She ruffled up like a great wet hen and set her bushy sideburns to twitching lightly. “I’m not half your stature so much as you’re just twice mine, master elf. And it’s NOT an axe,” she gruffed, holding up the massive weapon for added clarification, “it’s a hammer.”

“And as to whether or not it’s damned,” she added with an equally playful smile, “That depends on which side you’re on.” She let out a deep throated chuckle and then let her attentions fall back to the young woman standing across from Glyndr. The elf was certainly beautiful; she was everything Hanni expected of elves, she was tall with flawless porcelain skin and big clear eyes. Her hair was like spun gold and it caught every ounce of light and reflected it back in shining waves. Truly the woman was lovely. However, there was something not so lovely in her eyes…an anger and dangerous fire there that made her seem a little on the dangerous side. Hanni snorted once, hitched up her belts and nodded to Glyndr. “Have at it then, I’ll watch yer fight.” She marched back over towards Bellas and smiled as she passed him on the way to the door. “And as for you, master smith, You’d better believe I’ll be down there to make sure you’re doing a good job on that metalwork. I’m here to help protect this place to and I’ll not have shoddy work.” Her tone was playful and she headed out to the courtyard to watch the battle. As she left, Hanni smiled up at Istale, “This should be interesting. Join us.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sound of steel still hung like echoing bells in the air. The two elvish warriors had just parted a final time and weapons were strewn about the courtyard. Hanni was still standing in the doorway watching with one raised, bushy eyebrow. Now, it is perfectly common and even expected for dwarves who like each other very much to fight viciously amongst themselves. The many brawls that took place in the halls of dwarvish kingdoms would leave most people wondering whether the dwarves were at an almost constant state of war with each other, or if they simply all hated one another. However, neither would be true for indeed, dwarves are very close knit families with cousins spread far and wide. The fights were simply a bonding experience for most and in this respect Hanni could appreciate the battle these two elves had just had before her. It was the dangerous gleam in both their eyes, however, that told Hanni something more dangerous…more subtle was going on inside those fair heads. For all her beauty, Neth had a hunger in her eyes that Hanni couldn’t quite place, and she wasn’t all that sure that the icy captain wouldn’t have killed the elf woman had he been given the chance. So it was that Hanni stood shaking her head slowly as the two gathered their things and limped away. “And they say MY people enjoy the call of battle too much,” she mumbled softly her eyes locked on the retreating form of Neth.

Once the combatants had left, it dawned at last on the dwarf that she had neglected to ask about the elvish leader. She turned to find Bellas but it seemed the smith had returned to his work and she could not find sight of him. Istale had moved off toward the main yard and was talking with another young woman who seemed human for the most part, though her fair features and long blond hair had Hanni wondering what other relations might exist when seeing her in comparison with the elvish woman. Hanni, at a loss on where to find the smith, tromped across the yard, watching as two young humans, whom she recognized from earlier, were headed in the other direction. The two made their way past her, headed for Glyndr, but the woman stayed to talk to Istale. She seemed upset and from the look that crossed the face of her elvish companion, the news she bore was not pleasant. The dwarf pushed down on the feelings of silly protectiveness with a growl, reminding herself fiercely that she hardly knew the frail elf woman.

As she finally reached the two figures, Hanni cleared her throat, feeling like she had interrupted for the second time that day. Then, folding her hands behind her and thrusting out her chest so as to look more official, the emissary of the dwarves spoke up, “Ahem. I need to find Lord Elrond as soon as possible. I know it’s a bit late in saying this, but I originally came here to speak to the elvish lord on the behalf of my people and it’s about high time I did so.” She smiled pleasantly at the two, feeling one step closer to getting home. As soon as she’d gotten a chance to speak to the elf leader, she would go hunt down the smith and then it would be back to doing her favorite hobby. She could at least prove useful until she was to go home with the elves’ reply to her message.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Diablo had proven no fun, Di’shan lost his patience for the animal quickly. There were other things to do and other toys to play with which he knew would keep him occupied for the time being; there would be plenty of time to play with the horse later, Sahkar could help with that. The Harad man slipped off quickly towards his tent, eager to get back to work when he noticed that the water bin near his tent was still bloody. The orcs were doing a poor job of keeping his things clean. Di’shan curled one lip into a sneer and rolled his eyes over to one of the orcs guarding his tent flap. “Let’s go take a little walk and I’ll show you how I want my water basin kept.” With that, he moved off quickly towards the edge of camp, trailed by a very nervous looking orc who was sloshing bloody water over himself as he stumbled along carrying the tub.

Half an hour later, Di’shan walked calmly back toward his tent, this time followed by an entirely different orc who looked equally nervous. The front of Di’shan’s shirt and breeches were soaked with water and it was obvious he’d waded in to about his knees. No one bothered to ask though and after two days there was no need, as the body of a drowned orc washed up on the shore some three miles downstream. The basin was ever so carefully put back on its pedestal as Di’shan slowly unbuttoned his shirt in preparation. He stepped toward his tent flap and pulled loose his cuffs. The orc guards smiled truly wretched little grins at one another, knowing full well what would happen next as the human disappeared behind the flap.

Di’shan froze as he stepped through the door, his shirt half off his shoulders. Narmion was on the floor, his strap left dangling against the side of the pole, and the boy had moved over next to him. The two were huddled together, their eyes wide and startled as they stared at him. The boy had obviously made his way over to the elf and managed to let him down. Di’shan chuckled softly. Good. They still had hope left; crushing an enemy with no hope was a pointless gesture. “Impressive little one,” he drawled lazily as his eyes strayed over Rolan once more. The boy’s neck was crusted with his own dried blood and his hair was dirty and matted. The fresh burns still showed brightly across the pale flesh of his chest and elicited a slimy grin from the corners of Di’shan’s mouth, “Impressive but futile.” Moving with the swiftness of a predator circling its prey, Di’shan crossed to Rolan, avoiding Narmion’s range. He roughly grabbed the boy’s bound arms and all but tossed him back over to the tent wall, snorting his amusement as the Rolan’s body hit the hides with a heavy thump. He dropped down next to Narmion and wrenched the elf upright, wrapping his fingers in the elf’s hair. Di’shan leaned in once more, breathing hot threats against fevered skin, “I told you that you would weep for the insult you dared earlier. I’m going to give you a chance to choose his pain. Tell me where to hurt him next. Tell me, do I blind him or do I cut off his hands?”

Di’shan’s voice was a harsh whisper, like the hissing of a serpent in Narmion’s ear. “Tell me which Elf…or I’ll do both. And when I’m done, you will answer my questions….fail to do so…lie to me…and we will keep playing this game.”

((OOC: Yay! I actually posted something. It sucketh the big one, but hey! I posted! Yay! The usual disclaimers apply, if I messed anything up too much, let me know. Oh, and Sal, I figured the whole water basin thing should give Dirk enough time to get in and out. ))
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2006 01:37
Nethraueth heard the now slightly familiar voices of Hanni and Istalë. Under normal circumstances, she would not hesitate to join them, but seeing as how they had just borne witness to the ferocity of the fight between her and the Captain, and might have seen more than she had intended them to, she made a circuit around them and headed toward the smithy.

As she passed by the kitchen, she literally ran into an ellon carrying a bucket of steaming water in one hand, and a roll of bandages in the other, along with a small pouch of herbs. "Oh, I am sorry!" she cried, brushing the water off that had sloshed out of the bucket and onto the ellon's clothes. "Please forgive me, I should have been watching where I was going. That's what comes of my thinking about one thing while doing another." Her blue eyes lit up with the bright smile she gave him. "You must be headed somewhere important with those bandages and the hot water. Would you like some help?" She took the bandages from him and began walking with him to his destination. It was soon apparent that he was headed toward Captain Glyndr's office, and she stopped.

Neth was debating within herself whether or not she should enter. Obviously, the wounds she had inflicted upon the Captain were not all minor, or there would be no need for bandaging them. She could either stop here and not go inside, or go inside and appear to be gloating about the pain he was in.

She took a breath and decided. "I'm sorry, I just realized I did not introduce myself. I am Nethraueth, long a resident of Imladris, and new to the company of Captain Glyndr. I was just headed to the smithy, and I realized I probably have detained you longer than necessary. So I will head back there, and should you have a mind to, I would like to meet up with you again soon...I'm sorry, I have not caught your name."

When Telryn introduced himself, she smiled and said, "Tis truly a pleasure." She tilted her head to one side, and then quickly departed, moving fast in the opposite direction.

When Neth arrived at the smithy, she stepped inside and smiled. Here were the sounds and smells she was most accustomed to. The pungent smell of hot metal was one of her favorites.

She folded her arms and called out, "Bellas! I hope you don't mind my coming to visit."
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2006 07:22
“Hot water I can get from the kitchens, maybe towels too”. Telryn grumbled to himself as he made his way across the courtyard towards the kitchens, “The bandages I shall have to get from the medical supplies somehow”, but how in the Valar’s name am I to do all that unnoticed?”

The soldier stopped at the back door to the kitchens, he glanced around furtively before sneaking in through the door, hoping no one had seen him .
“Why the Captain has told me to be secretive I do not know” Telryn continued grumbling, “So, he has somehow managed to get himself badly beaten up, probably sparring … Why the secrecy?”.
Telryn could not understand.

With everything that was needed begged , borrowed or stolen, the dark haired soldier left the back door of the kitchen hurriedly. He knew from painful experience, never to keep the bad tempered Captain waiting.

With his thoughts on the meeting, and the still very real threat of another attack on Imladris, Telryn did not see Nethraueth until it was too late.

“No….n.. no, the fault was all mine”, Telryn rescued the bucket, and looked up with a smile as his dark blue eyes met those of Nethraueth.
He recognised her as the new recruit that had made such an impression on his mind earlier that day.

“ My thoughts were elsewhere too”, he said as the smile widened, “A bad habit I must try to stop”.
Telryn tried hard not to stare at the obvious signs of battle on her pale skin, Bruises as perfect a shade of purple as his Captain’s marred her luminous skin.

Telryn was more than eager for her to go with him and handed over the bandages without a thought.
The ellon found himself very disappointed when Nethraurth , as he had learned her name was, left for the forge. He had hoped she would have stayed.

“It has been a pleasure to meet you too Nethraueth”, he called after her. He loved the sound of her name.
“And yes”, he said a little too eagerly, “I would very much like to meet later”.

He watched her walk away, He was confused, some strange, unexplained magnetism drew him to her.
Telryn shook his head and turned back to knock on the office door.

Glyndr had been again sprawled over his desk, asleep, and had not long woken .
He knew that he had to write a report; he had no interest in report writing whatsoever. The thought of being with Lalaith soon drove him to at least try to begin a sentence.
The sooner he had the damn thing written, the sooner he could be with his Lalaith.

The Captain sat with his feet up on the desk; he chewed lazily at the top of the quill. He did not look round as Telryn entered, yet he knew the soldier was there.

Glyndr took his feet slowly off the desk , and threw the quill aside, He turned slowly, to look at the soldier.
“ Good”, he said, “You have what I asked for”. The elf Captain nodded towards a table beneath the window, “ Put them over there”.
Glyndr frowned slightly as he watched Telryn move towards the table, “What is it soldier?” he ran his fingertip over the still pristine parchment in front of him on his desk. “You look flustered”.

“Nothing”, Telryn replied hastily as he placed the bucket, herbs, towel and bandages on the table.

“Hmm” Glyndr looked up from the parchment, then stood and walked towards the table, his keen gaze fixed on the soldier, “ I am not so sure”, he said as he began to pour some of the water into a bowl to wash the grime ,dust and blood of the fight from his skin and hair.

Telryn looked a little embarrassed, then covered the embarrassment by saying, “Captain, you are hurt, let me help”. The soldier was concerned as he saw the crimson soaking the bandage already at the Captain’s stomach.
He stepped forward towards the herbs and remaining water.

“Valar soldier, I do not need a nursemaid!” Glyndr turned on Telryn ,“I can do that myself!”

Telryn jumped, “but I thought ..I just..” he finished lamely.

“Then don’t think soldier”, Glyndr ran his fingers through his long , wet hair, “ I thank you for bringing me the things I need….now go”.

Telryn bit his lip, torn between obeying his Captain and staying. Glyndr would find it difficult to fasten the bandage.

“I said go,” Glyndr turned from preparing the herbs, his voice the dangerous low growl, “ Do as you are told soldier!”

Telryn bowed and almost ran from the office, his mind made up.
To remain alive was more important.

Telryn slowed as he reached the edge of the courtyard.
He found himself on his way to the forge.
His blunted blade needed sharpening.
Didn't it?

Glyndr winced as he dabbed at the re opened wound, it bled freely. He cursed Nethraueth again.
She had not told him of her past , nor he to her of his own as they had agreed. He would not forget.He would know more of her.

The Captain needed her skills in the ranks, and he would welcome such skills. But a deep, angry fire still burned in his ice demon soul.
They were two of a kind, he and Nethraueth, well matched in skill and fire.
A dangerous fire.

A while later the Captain left the office, report still unwritten.
He sat on a low wall near the gardens. Midday.
He waited for Lalaith to join him for what little time they had before the meeting.

Sylstar pranced, tossing his head, and turning in agitated circles.

Diablo was not following him. Had he not freed the black? All instincts should have told the black to run, to live the freedom he craved.

The grey stopped, he pawed at the ground, uncertain of what to do.
He hated this place; the creeping death and evil seeped into the air and very earth.

Sylstar’s strong instinct for survival, that primeval force that ran deep inside, that force that had saved his life so many times, told him ,flee.

The grey could not leave his kin alone here, he turned and followed Diablo, keeping a distance between him and the vile humans.

[

[Edited on 21/5/2006 by elflyn]
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2006 11:21
“Better opportune than inopportune.” She sighed. “And as for me being back – I didn’t intend to be back… but, I’d have to blame the rumours for recalling me. How could I stay away when news reaches me that my friends are being ruthlessly slaughtered?” She paused, and apologised to Istalë. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to sound so… pessimistic.”

The elleth shrugged impassively – she was somewhat used to pessimism, really. The sentiment was not at all rare around Imladris these days, and even Istalë had had more than her fair share of “Oh we’re all going to die and I can’t and don’t want to and won’t do anything about it” moments. But the most unsettling thing of it all was that some days, she really did believe it. There had been more than enough times when she felt like they were facing a certain, long and slow and drawn-out death. Times when it seemed as if nobody would see the night fall once more, let alone the next sunrise. Hours when the skies were so dark she believed against all rationality that the new day would never dawn, when the oppressive, creeping doom hung so heavy in the air that it was hard to even move, and all she felt like doing was just curling up and dozing off never to wake up again.

Then, lowering her gaze to the ground, she said quietly, “Narmion and Rolan have been tortured.”

That jerked Istalë sharply away from her runaway thoughts. She spun around to face the halfelven, mind working quickly so that a dozen questions all rose to her lips at once, clamouring to be asked and answered; and she did not know where to begin asking, or even if she should be doing so. Torture? Where? How? How were Narmion and Rolan? What atrocities had been committed upon them? What of Rolan’s equine friend – she was quite sure the stallion had been taken too. More practically, if Amata had chanced upon Narmion and Rolan being tortured, she would have seen the enemy encampment – if so, did she have any valuable information on their adversaries? Their numbers? Positions? Their condition?

She took a deep breath, and shut her mouth, wondering how she could start. The pause that followed was long and slightly awkward. Neither elleth was sure what to say. Once upon a time they would have make small talk, been able to find something – anything – to keep the conversation going while their minds cast about for news that was usually good, or at least trivial. Times had indeed changed. Istalë was silent as she led the slow way back up to the House, across the cobbled courtyard, but then Amata broke the heavy silence, voice tight and perhaps more highly-strung than usual, carrying with it a subtle hint of forced cheer.

“There’s going to be a meeting this afternoon… but first I think I need to clean myself up.” She glanced around. “I don’t suppose you could remind me where the bathrooms are?”

Her right eyebrow quirked itself into an upwards sweep. Her companion must be truly desperate for a change of topic, to ask after less than a year or so of absence where the *baths* were, but Istalë bit down the slightly acerbic retort that was forming in her head. Tactfully she gestured down the side corridor that led to the washroom, and then excused herself.

“If you’ll go ahead first, I need to look for someone.”

Istalë turned back to the yard, eyes roving over the fast thinning activity to seek out Hanni. She needed to talk to the dwarf, at least to ask why she was here. Besides, it could not be denied that the stout little being was quite interesting, to say the least.

She did not have to look long - Hanni plodded out of the small crowd that was slowly dispersing to their respective tasks now that the entertainment was over, and made for them with a resolute look on her face. It amused Istalë no end to see the dwarf clink up to them and then clear her throat in what was obviously meant to be an officious manner, folding her arms behind her back as if in an effort to appear taller.

“Ahem. I need to find Lord Elrond as soon as possible. I know it’s a bit late in saying this, but I originally came here to speak to the elvish lord on the behalf of my people and it’s about high time I did so.”

The scholar froze. Elrond's loss had been a sore, merciless blow and was still very much an open, festering wound for all of Rivendell's inhabitants, even more so for Istalë who had grown up alongside his own children and had known the elf lord to an extent. He had been something of an informal uncle, in the way small children view the affable parents of a particularly good friend.

When she did manage to find her voice it came out rather strangled, but she managed to rein in the wayward emotions that threatened to spill again, hot and raw and now salt-sprinkled as well.

"I'm afraid you... won't find Lord Elrond around, Hannalisa... He... was killed by orcs some time ago; I would suppose in the same battle that brought news to your mountain..."

Oh, but how could they have not known? Sometimes it seemed as if the very earth, the very rock of Middle Earth grieved with the elves of Imladris for their loss. Istalë bit on her lower lip, a quizzical look taking over as she expressed her unspoken question.

[Edited to include Hanni!]

[Edited on 22/5/2006 by Sirithros_Lirenel]
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2006 10:54
“Tell me which Elf…or I’ll do both. And when I’m done, you will answer my questions….fail to do so…lie to me…and we will keep playing this game.”

"Leave 'im alone!" Rolan rasped. Speaking hurt so much! He coughed and the soreness in his throat amplified. "Leave 'im alone, " the boy asserted again, more quietly this time with Di'shan's cold eyes fixed on him. "'E doesn't know anythin' anyways." Rolan didn't think for one moment that he was believed in the least, but his words were flowing now, with the occasional body-racking cough. Every moment he let his throat burn as words came out was another moment of stalling the torturer. Maybe some concern would arise for Di'shan to have to see to.

Rolan had lost hope for a rescue. Even if he hadn't known it to be almost certain death, Di'shan's presence made such an attempt highly unlikey. He may only have been here for a while, but he picked up things fast. You only crossed Di'shan once. Then you were dead.

"Ye want news o' the Elfs's place, ye gotsed the wrong 'uns for askerin'. Ye'd a been better offen wit cap'rin somman who knowed whats they be talkin' 'bout." Rolan attempted a laugh, but it came out more like a strangled sob and left his throat even rawer than before, if that was even possible. The boy made several attempts to speak again, but his voice had decided to desert him. Rolan still glared into the Haradrim's eyes, anger and terror intermingling in his body.

A shadow of a man stumbled across the black's path. He looked like he'd seen a ghost, and his skin was more ashen that tanned. Diablo recognized him. He bared his teeth in contempt for the puny man, flared his nostrils and flattened his ears against his skull before leaping out from behind a tree to confront the man.

He noticably blanched, turning paler - if that was even possible - and fleeing off toward camp. Satisfied with himself, Diablo pranced around in a circle, waiting for Sylstar to come to him. The gray warhorse was still quite timid, for reasons Diablo could not fathom. These were only orcs after all! A good kick dispatched them easily enough, even if it was a bother trying to clean hooves afterward...

The black stallion moved restlessly, waiting for some sign so he could find the exact tent where his boy-colt was. Sylstar's edginess was beginning to wear on his nerves. He wanted to be rid of this place now as well. With a glance over his shoulder, the stallion reluctantly followed the warhorse out, back toward the forest. And home.

He came pounding into the Elven refuge, trumpeting his distress to anyone who could possibly hear him. With the open buildings of the sanctuary, most could. Stablehands rushed around in confusion, some attempting to calm him. The ones who recognized him, however, did not attempt anything of the sort. To the contrary, one of them yelled out, "Somebody get the Captain an' Lady Arianna down here's a once!"

Two figures shot off to find the requested persons. Diablo calmed visibly, though he was still agitated, snapping at boys who ventured too close to him. The eldest stableboy, the one who'd sent for Glyndr and Ari, dragged the other boys away from Diablo, saying "He's a nasty one, but you can bet anything that he's the smartest thing around here." Diablo nodded absently, as if in confirmation of the statement. "See that lads? He's agreeing with me, there, so get back to your work. Stalls don't clean themselves, you know."

Diablo whistled, that piercing, ear-splitting whistle that called for immediate attention and half reared. He saw Arianna hurrying towards him. Glyndr wouldn't be far behind. The stallion was ready to go back. He wanted his boy-colt back.

OOc//...um...*blinkblink* For some reason I kept hearing the oldest stableboy's words spoken with an Irish accent... can anyone explain this?
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2006 01:19
(( :disco: I've been *waiting* for Ari to say that for the past 4 pages! :disco: Anyways, time to catch up... *sighs*))

"I missed you," she added. "I wouldn't want to see you hurt. I love you, Eadoin."

Eadoin was so surprised to hear those words coming from Arianna's mouth that he let her pull away somewhat. When he finally registered what she had said, he smiled gently at her and pulled her more closely against him.

"I was beginning to wonder if I was just imagining things," Eadoin whispered to her. "I was so worried that maybe this was unrequited love. Guess not." He looked up at her and leaned up until his face was only inches from hers. Genly, his lips met her in a short kiss before he pulled back. "I love you too. I said as much at Glyndr and Lalaith's wedding feast, after I drank a little too much." He smiled again.

"I won't run off like that again without telling you beforehand. I'm sorry that I scared you. I think my initial idea was to rude off to find where Rolan and Narmion had been taken. I realized afterwards that it was probably a stupid idea, since I had no idea where I was going..." Sheepishly, the young man scratched the bak of his neck before moving to sit next to Arianna. He took one of her hands between his own. "I found their camp this morning, but it appears that we might be a little too late to get them out without harm - they've already been tortured." He looked to their entertwined hands and stroked the tops of her fingers.

"They're camped somewhere northwest of here. I'm not sure of the exact location, but I could find it again. Glyndr appears to be planning to go after them shortly. I have to go with them, Ari. I have to go because I'm the only one who knows where hte camp is. I have to lead them there. But for now, I'm not going to move."

----------

Morgai reined in his horse at the top of a rise overlooking the forest. This was the farthest he had ridden from camp in a long while, and he enjoyed the freedom of having no orcs around. Dismounting, he rubbed his horse's nose and stood staring at the forest.

He had a lucky lot in life, he mused. He didn't have any family endangered by any reckless deeds, like Dirk did. He was Ondet's second, meaning he got some say in what went on. He had almost unlimited power over the orcs, which was a blessing in itself, seeing as they were vile creatures. He had never had his loyalty tested by Ondet because he had been his first follower.

Even if he had this luck, he didn't want to test the limits of it by being absent from the camp for much too long. Ondet had this paranoia that all his men were deserting him whenever they left the camp for too long... and in an elf that unstable, paranoia was a bad thing. He remounted again and turned his horse back to the camp.

On his way through the forest, he saw a strange sight when he crossed a small path in the woods. There was an arrow sticking from a tree. Reining in again, he reached up and pulled the arrow from the tree and turned it over in his hands. Mordome snorted at him, reminding him of his current rush. Gripping the arrow in one hand, he took the reins up in the other and kicked Mordome into a canter back to camp.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 22, 2006 05:50
Narmion had been waiting fearfully for Di’Shan’s return- knowing it was inevitable- when the man who’d captured Rolan in the first place showed up. The elf didn’t know why he was here, of course, but he could only assume that it meant more torment for himself and the child- so he could only look toward the tent entrance with an expression of fear, mingled with the pain that was now ever-present. After only a few moments that man turned and ran, and the elf let out a sigh of relief. For a few moments, at least, they had some respite. Neither did he have any hope of rescue, and certainly no silly notions of escape- without a doubt he knew he’d probably not be able to get to his feet (even if they weren’t bound) and then there was forcing his wounded leg to work. It didn’t seem likely- and Rolan’s condition was no better. It was a terrible thing to see the child in so much pain, and so tired. As far as the elf was concerned they were both doomed to die in the wretched tent, far away from Imladris and their friends. He was quite ready for that end- for himself and Rolan. They were both exhausted in every way- it was a weariness that Narmion felt down in his bones, in his very soul.

The moment of strained peace was ended at once, when the tent flap was pushed aside again and the torturer returned. Narmion felt his heart leap into his throat as terror returned. The chuckle that emitted from Di’Shan’s throat chilled him, and he had to choke back the sob that threatened to come forth. It had almost nothing to do with dignity- he no longer cared about his own.

“Impressive little one,” he drawled lazily as his eyes strayed over Rolan once more. The boy’s neck was crusted with his own dried blood and his hair was dirty and matted. The fresh burns still showed brightly across the pale flesh of his chest and elicited a slimy grin from the corners of Di’shan’s mouth, “Impressive but futile.”

In a movement so swift that it made the elf dizzy the man had grabbed Rolan and hurled him across the tent. When he fell Narmion winced, aching for his young friend- but he didn’t have time to wonder fearfully what was coming next before Di’Shan had dropped down beside him and wrenched him upright by a fistful of hair. That single motion seemed to make every one of his hurts throb without relent, and he hissed in pain but had no strength to pull away.

Di’shan leaned in once more, breathing hot threats against fevered skin, “I told you that you would weep for the insult you dared earlier. I’m going to give you a chance to choose his pain. Tell me where to hurt him next. Tell me, do I blind him or do I cut off his hands?” Di’shan’s voice was a harsh whisper, like the hissing of a serpent in Narmion’s ear. “Tell me which Elf…or I’ll do both. And when I’m done, you will answer my questions….fail to do so…lie to me…and we will keep playing this game.”

Narmion’s mind raced and his heart pounded. How could he make such a decision?! His clouded eyes found Rolan’s form and he fought to catch his breath and find his voice- he’d rather have both evils done to himself, but he knew that Di’Shan would definitely carry out his gruesome threat. A choice had to be made- but how could he be forced to make such an awful choice?!

"Leave 'im alone!" Rolan rasped. He coughed and the soreness in his throat amplified. "Leave 'im alone, " the boy asserted again, more quietly this time with Di'shan's cold eyes fixed on him. "'E doesn't know anythin' anyways/ "Ye want news o' the Elfs's place, ye gotsed the wrong 'uns for askerin'. Ye'd a been better offen wit cap'rin somman who knowed whats they be talkin' 'bout." Rolan attempted a laugh, but it came out more like a strangled sob and left his throat even rawer than before, if that was even possible. The boy made several attempts to speak again, but his voice had decided to desert him. Rolan still glared into the Haradrim's eyes, anger and terror intermingling in his body.

Rolan didn’t seem to have heard Di’Shans harsh whispers- but the fierce way that he rasped for his immortal companion-in-misery to be left alone only made the elf’s heartache worse. It would be far more terrible for the boy to suffer both the loss of his hands and his sight- it was for his sake to decide on one or the other… but such an awful burden was the guilt and horror of being faced with the choice that Narmion couldn’t keep in the sob any longer, and it came, followed by others that were raw and grating as they erupted from his parched throat. And then, shutting his eyes to avoid meeting Rolan’s gaze, he found his voice and spoke, shuddering inwardly as the words passed his cracked lips.

“Blind him.”

When he was released he fell heavily back onto the floor and grunted in pain, wishing desperately that they were both free of their miserable prison. His eyes he kept shut, but tears still came freely. He knew that he’d give in and tell the tormentor what he knew- and he was dreadfully ashamed, thinking morosely of his friends in Imladris, and the storm that he would be responsible for sending upon them…. but he simply had no choice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lalaith had spent more time than she meant to with the wounded- but there were so many in need of aid. Ever her thoughts were with Glyndr, though, and when the hours rolled away to midday she was already on her way to the place where she was expected to meet her beloved husband. Their time together would be precious, she knew- it wouldn’t be long before he had another meeting, and then would be leaving. Her heart quailed to think of being parted from him again- what if he was captured like poor Rolan and Narmion? Or worse- what if he was killed? The she-elf didn’t know what she’d do without him. He was all she had- her father and brother were dead, killed in the battle that had claimed so many- the one that had sent Glyndr to Rohan, where she found him. He'd become her whole life... she often wished he would let her accompany him on patrol, simply so she could be at his side. If he died, she wanted to die with him- and if he was hurt, she wanted to be there to take care of him. The only way she'd get on a patrol would be if she followed secretly, though- she knew her husband would never let her go willingly.

She spotted him sitting on a low wall near the gardens, looking as if he were lost in thought. Before she came very close she could tell that he was more badly hurt than before- though he’d obviously cleaned up- and as she approached she put her hands on her hips and shook her head at him, sending her blond locks swaying back and forth.

“What have you gotten into now?” she scolded lovingly, then went to gently stroke the side of his face that was showing the clear signs of a fight, “You are worse than a tom-cat, my love! How is your stomach? Don’t tell me it needs re-stitching…”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bellas usually tried to stay out of Glyndr’s way, except when it was necessary- and when the Captain promised to send him the tally that was enough. The elf was quite ready to get back to the smithy and leave the two obviously- angry-and-ready-to-fight elves to their sparring. He was a gifted swordsman, but he preferred to make the blades instead of use them- especially in a duel with someone as ruthless as the kelquinti. He’d hoped that Hanni would join him, but when the two elves left the watchroom she seemed far too interested in the fight.

She marched back over towards Bellas and smiled as she passed him on the way to the door. “And as for you, master smith, You’d better believe I’ll be down there to make sure you’re doing a good job on that metalwork. I’m here to help protect this place to and I’ll not have shoddy work.” Her tone was playful and she headed out to the courtyard to watch the battle. As she left, Hanni smiled up at Istale, “This should be interesting. Join us.”

Bellas grinned at her playful note, rather thinking he could get on well with her- but made no moves to follow, and shook his head slightly when Istale went with the dwarf outside. Even without the tally, there was much work to be done… so, deciding that he’d let Hanni tell him all about the sparring match later, he headed back to the smithy. Once there he removed the shirt (not wanting to get it any dirtier than was necessary) and hung it on a peg near the door before going back to work on the sword he’d been near completing earlier. Removing it, he looked it over and tsked inwardly at the faults he saw- and, after reheating the blade, was back to work.

He was deep into what he was doing, raising and dropping the hammer,lost in the music of the anvil and the fluidity of the familiar motions when a voice penetrated his metal-working song.

She folded her arms and called out, "Bellas! I hope you don't mind my coming to visit!"

Surprised when Neth shouted his name, the elf looked up and let the hammer fall a few inches from its mark, putting a hefty dent in the sword where it was not meant to be. Cursing himself for his carelessness he dropped the hammer and moved to put the steel back into the fire.

“I don’t mind!” he called back, though he was really not very happy she’d come. She’d survived the match with Glyndr, obviously, and that was good- but something about her made the smith feel unsettled. Why, he couldn’t guess- they’d always been friends before, and more than once he’d found his heart stirring when he saw her beautiful face- but whether it was because she’d lost her brothers, or another cause, there was something… disconcerting about her aura when she was near.

“Come on in!” he called again (never one to be rude), and returned the blade to the anvil, retrieving the hammer and (now painfully conscious of the fact that he was shirtless) offered her a friendly smile when she did, “I’m afraid I can’t stop working, but if you don’t mind the noise then you’re welcome.”

Tearing his eyes away from her he went back to hammering, working out the dent in the blade and shaping it some more, then going and sticking it back in the cooling pot. It gave off a hiss and sent up smoke, and then Bellas grabbed a cloth and wiped the sweat from his brow before turning back to his (beautiful) visitor.

“It hasn’t changed much,” he said with a grin, waving his hands around him at the smithy, “Just more cluttered.”

(no Delvan… I’m feeling very rusty after being away from writing, but I hope this is ok with yall. Please ignore all of the errors, as I'm much too lazy to go back and fix them )

elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2006 02:18
His thoughts on wings, Glyndr seemed to sense her presence before he saw her.
He looked up at his Lalaith as she stood before him, her hands on her hips.
Glyndr knew that look.
Her voice scolding, yet the light in her eyes told another story.

The Captain took no notice of her words at first.
He saw only her golden hair, bright gossamer in the sunlight, the blue of her eyes and the beauty of her form.
“Lalaith”, he said, his voice unusually quiet as she stroked his face..

“Tomcat?” Glyndr dared a twitch of a smile at the thought, “ yes, I suppose I could be likened to such an animal”.
The Captain tried hard to think of some excuse for the sorry state he was in. He failed miserably.
Even if he could explain his still wet hair, the fresh bruises would still betray him.

“No,” Glyndr shook his head, “ Er..I have taken care of the wound”. How did she know?

Captain Glyndr, the commander of Elven warriors, and who had faced armies of orcs and goblins unafraid, looked and felt very chastised.
Lalaith had done with a few words what the legions of evil could not do.

Glyndr regained his usual demeanour, and then stood. He smiled as he drew his wife into a passionate embrace., oblivious as who saw them.

“That walk I think”, Glyndr slid his arm around her waist and led her to the gardens.
After they had walked a while in a silence that spoke a thousand words between them, Glyndr stopped at a willow.

The raven-haired elf pulled Lalaith down to sit beside him beneath the tree, memories of what seemed aeons ago returned as if only yesterday.
Glyndr drew her to him in a soft embrace, afraid to let her go, in fear that she would vanish as the sun was now, dimmed by a dark cloud.

“Lalaith, I do not know what I would do without you at my side”, Glyndr stroked her face, his fingertip tracing the outline of her jaw to the tip of her ear.
“ Without you I am nothing, you are my strength and weakness Lalaith, I love you”.

The Captain smiled his wicked elfling smile, “Remember when we sat beneath a willow, much the same as we are now? When we first met?”
Glyndr fished a small linen bundle from the front of his tunic.
“Strawberries” he whispered with an even wickeder grin. He opened the bundle to reveal six large strawberries.

“We ate strawberries then” he said the grin wider. “I am sure the gardener won’t miss these”.
Glyndr placed a juicy red berry in Lalaith’s mouth before she could scold him again for stealing strawberries.

The Captain could not be happier. He had time with Lalaith, uninterrupted time.
Or so he thought.
A while later a breathless lad came to tell Glyndr that Diablo and Sylstar had returned, and that he was needed .
The Captain cursed, angry that again his time with Lalaith was so short. Yet, duty was duty, and they needed whatever news of Narmion and Rolan they could get.

He stood and took Lalaith by the hand as they returned, following the lad.
Ari was already there Glyndr nodded a bow in acknowledgement to her, then looked at the black horse , “ I think, that by your return, the meeting scheduled for later will have to be brought forward”.
The Captain waited.
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2006 02:59
“I don’t mind!”...“Come on in!”...“I’m afraid I can’t stop working, but if you don’t mind the noise then you’re welcome.”

"The noise is fine with me. Actually helps me quite a bit, if you want to know." She could tell something was wrong. Bellas seemed nervous about her being there. She scanned him up and down, and she smiled softly. She had often thought about the smith, and had been attracted to him for sometime, but he had never seemed to be interested in her, so she had let her feelings lie dormant.
“It hasn’t changed much,” he said with a grin, waving his hands around him at the smithy, “Just more cluttered.”

She sat down on a low stool for a few minutes and watched him work, and soon found herself overwhelmed by tears. So much had changed, it seemed. Her brothers were gone, and now it seemed, her old friend Bellas didn't want her around. She hastily brushed away her tears with the back of her hand and said, "I'm...I'm sorry for disturbing you. I thought...maybe...you could sharpen these for me...I lost my whetstone..." More tears welled up and took the place of those that had been brushed away, and the elleth stood. She bit her lip and whispered, "I'm sorry..." and then turned and fled from the smithy, hastily sheathing her weapons as she ran.

Blinded by the tears in her eyes, she stumbled several times on her way to the stable, and somehow managed to get her horse saddled up and mounted him. She galloped out of the stable, almost running over two or three hapless young hands on the way, and headed toward the gate, not really caring where she ended up. Out of the corner of her eye, she caught sight of Sylstar and a gray, but she didn't even pause as she went through the gate and disappeared from sight.

Nethraueth knew the area around Imladris well, and soon found the one place she knew she could feel safe. It was a small clearing on the edge of a stream, and she slid exhausted from Berior's back, letting herself tumble to the ground. She pulled herself back against a tree and rested her head on her knees and began to sob, trying desperately to squelch the screams and voices she heard inside her head.

"No, no, no! Stop this!" she sobbed, uncontrollably, covering her ears with her hands and trying to block everything out. She couldn't though, and as she raised her head from her knees, she saw a shadow moving swiftly on horseback through the trees. She froze in place for a minute, and then sprang to her feet. She didn't know who it was, but she couldn't take a chance that it was someone who would report back to Glyndr that there was something wrong with her.

Neth quickly remounted Berior and headed off at speed to pursue the one she had seen, giving the horse his head and guiding him solely with her knees She had a blade in her boot, and she knew she could throw it true, if need be, to stop her quarry from getting word back to Imladris. In her disoriented state, she didn't even realize she was travelling away from Imladris. She just knew she had to somehow prevent Captain Glyndr from finding out she was unstable.

She followed in pursuit for sometime, at a distance, and eventually lost sight of him for a moment or two. She reined in Berior suddenly when she realized it was not Imladris she was seeing before her, but an encampment. She slid to the ground, and turned Berior around, whispering to him in Sindarin, "Bar, Berior."* The horse snorted at her, and she slapped his rump to get him moving. He hesitated, and then headed off, toward his home, confused as to why his mistress was choosing not to return with him.

Neth quickly scrambled up into a tree and positioned herself so that she had a clear view of the camp, but had enough cover so that she would not be seen easily by those present.

Berior, made his way swiftly back to the camp, and one of the stablehands spottd him and cried out, "Cap'n Glyndr! It's Nethraueth's horse. But she isn't with him!"

OOC: Yes, it is Morgai that Neth was following, and if you want to have him aware he was being followed, that's fine...
OOC: Sorry! (grins sheepishly) "Bar, Berior" means simply "Home, Berior."
[Edited on 23/5/2006 by Iell-daughter-of-elves]

[Edited on 24/5/2006 by Iell-daughter-of-elves]
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2006 04:15
OOc// Everybugger's running away now...

"They're camped somewhere northwest of here. I'm not sure of the exact location, but I could find it again. Glyndr appears to be planning to go after them shortly. I have to go with them, Ari. I have to go because I'm the only one who knows where hte camp is. I have to lead them there. But for now, I'm not going to move."

Ari smiled hesitantly back. "Then neither will I," she replied, a slight blush creeping over her features. "I think I should have told you a long time ago, but I was scared you hadn't meant it. And after all, it was a year ago... That's a long time for you little humans." She snuggled up to Eadoin, grinning as a pair of bluebirds outside the window did the same. "Mimics."

Someone tapped on the door. Ari was on her feet and halfway to the door before she realized she'd moved at all. She threw a grin over her shoulder at Eadoin and opened the door a crack. "Yes?"

"M'lady," the stableboy panted. He was a little dirty, but not as bad as some. His hair was slightly fly-away, indicating that he'd probably been running around to find her. "Diablo's back. Sylstar's with him. Terrin sent me. Wants you in the yard. Glyndr'll be there too." The boy paused for a deep breath between each sentance. It worried Ari. If the news hadn't been so important, he probably would have taken the time to catch his breath.

Grimly, she turned back into the room and motioned for Eadoin to join her. "Looks like you won't have to go off alone, Eadoin," she said flatly. "If Diablo's back, then it's bad. He would never leave Rolan unless something terrible was happening." The thought was there, hanging unspoken between them as the stableboy disappeared down the hall. Was it possible that Rolan was dead now? Ari shook off the frightening idea and flew down the hallway out towards the stableyard.

When she arrived, Diablo was there, and Glyndr too. Ari flew to the stallion's side, running a hand over his well-muscled neck and asking what had happened.

“ I think, that by your return, the meeting scheduled for later will have to be brought forward”.

Glyndr seemed to be waiting for an answer from Diablo. The stallion gave the Captain a long look and pawed the ground with his front hoof, scratching out a rough layout of the camp. Ari, understanding the planning the horse was showing, picked up a few little sticks and placed them where the stallion indicated. From the odd positioning, she guessed they were to represent tents. The rough ground - forest? Or was it places to hide?

“Blind him.”

Rolan surprised even himself by the mocking grin that found its way to his face. Blinded - somethig about it seemed so fitting. After all, there was an Elf in Imladris, blind because of him. Elladan was blind, because of him. So it was, justice, though the instrument of that justice terrified Rolan no little bit. Perhaps the gods did have a warped sense of humor, as his friend in the streets had said.

Friend? Nah, no friend. Burned and scarred by one like 'im, that's ter be tellin' ye 'e ain't no friend o' mine.

Rolan let that insane grin spread across his face. He did it to cover the cowardly child in him, already shrinking away from the thought of more pain. If Narmion was suffering because of him, Rolan determined that he would not induce more guilt on the Elf's conscience than necessary. This was not his fault. He willed the Elf to realize that as Di'shan spoke to him. He wanted Narmion to know that whatever happened, he was forgiven by Rolan, even if he couldn't forgive himself.

Come and get me, ye fatherless son of a stinkin' orc. I'm waitin'.

Dirk was pacing when Mordane arrived back in camp. The man had been looking over the string of horses earlier; spending time with them calmed him as nothing else did. He'd curried them, and made them as immaculate as the conditions would allow for, a task that had consummed most of the afternoon.

But, there had been one horse missing. Mordane, Morgai's black mare. So Dirk had waited, walking back and forth until he'd worn a shallow rut in the turf.

"Where have you been, lady-love?" Dirk asked the black mare. He looked around, wondering if Morgai had just dismounted a little ways off and left her to wander. Seeing her reins dangling in front of her feet sent him into a cold rage. "Don't bother taking care of her - I'll do that. Just hop along and hope Ondet doesn't go into one of his paranoid rants from you being gone so long," he growled at the forest.

Dirk knew he'd probably catch something from the other man later, for taking charge of his horse, but he didn't care right now. If he wasn't going to be in trouble with Ondet or Di'shan, he didn't give a drop of water from the ocean.

"Come on, lady," he said cheerfully as he could manage to Mordane. "Let's go get you cleaned up."

OOc// Can't think...
Edited because I could think, and now I think my brain's dying agian. ...
Edited second time because Morgai is in the forest with Neth.

[Edited on 23/5/2006 by Salkiethia]

[Edited on 25/5/2006 by Salkiethia]
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2006 11:38
((Iell - can you translate "Bar, Berior" for us?))

"Looks like you won't have to go off alone, Eadoin," she said flatly. "If Diablo's back, then it's bad. He would never leave Rolan unless something terrible was happening."

Eadoin sighed as Arianna beckoned him to follow her. Getting to his feet, he hurried to her side and linked his arm with hers.

"You know, I was hoping for a little more time alone with you," he muttered as they walked. "Why is it that something always manages to interrupt us?" Once they reached the courtyard, Arianna rushed to Diablo's side. Aiden and Arato were coming towards him, having heard all the fuss in the courtyard.

“I think, that by your return, the meeting scheduled for later will have to be brought forward.”

"Shouldn't you wait for the soldiers to arrive before we discuss this?" Arato asked Glyndr, approaching the captain haltingly. "After all, we may need volunteers for the rescue, and they should have the benefit of knowing everything that we know beforehand."

"Are you alright, Diablo?" Eadoin asked, approaching the large black hesitantly. "They didn't hurt you, I hope..." He put a hand on the stallion's neck. "We're probably going to need you too, to find the camp again..."

"Eadoin," Aiden said, shaking his head. "Diablo looks fine. We probably should be a little more concerned for Narmion and Rolan. There's no telling what could happen to them now."

----------

Morgai had been unaware that he had been followed at first, but slowly he realized that Mordome was a tad restless beneath him. Although not raised with horses as the Rohirrim were, the man understood enough about the quadrapeds to realize that she had probably scented some of her own kind, and probably not those from camp.

"Someone's following...?" he muttered to himself. He risked a glance over his shoulder and spotted a blur of momvement behind him. "I see." He frowned. Ondet would probably kill him if he didn't try to stop his pursuer from returning with news of their location. Grimly, he turned Mordome into the trees once they neared camp.

"Head into camp, girl," Morgai whispered as he dismounted, "I've got something to look into." Slapping her rump gently, he watched as the black horse moseyed through the trees towards camp. Turning back, he crept through the trees, hoping that his pursuer wouldn't notice him.

As he moved, he found the muddled trail of hoofprints, leading both towards and away from their camp. Not a tracker by profession, Morgai was however efficient enough to follow the trail until it stopped and doubled back on itself. Glancing around as he slid quietly into the underbrush, he hoped to spot someone nearby.

It was then he spotted a bit of yellow-gold in the treetops. He did a doubletake and after a bit of squinting, was able to make out the form of someone in the treetops. Cursing his luck that he had no chance of attacking while the watcher was in the tree, he shifted his cloak around himself and unsheathing one of his swords. Hunkering down in the underbrush and covering himself the best he could, he prepared for along wait.

((Peekaboo, Morgai sees you, Neth...))
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2006 01:27
“So, we have what we need”, Glyndr said almost under his breath, as he stared at the sticks on the ground, plans already forming in his military mind, “We have Eadoin’s information, and now Diablo returns with this little gem of information, and of course, the horse can lead us straight to them”.

The Captain snapped his gaze from the sticks to Arato, pinning the man with his stare, “Yes, Arato,” he said slowly, an icy tone creeping into his voice, “The soldiers will be informed, the meeting will be held now.All warriors, and those replacements that I hope Telryn has managed to recruit will attend”. He smiled his infamous half smile, “Thank you for your concern, second in command”.

Glyndr turned sharply, “You”, he commanded a passing soldier, “Assemble all those of the troops who are in any fit state to ride, and all new recruits at the courtyard, now. We have no time to lose; we must choose those who will join the section, Oh and find the dwarf”, he added as an afterthought. “ The miniature tornado will be useful, It will not be an easy task, I fear we may have to fight for Narmion and Rolan’s freedom ”.

“Sylstar”, Glyndr strode towards his warhorse, he gripped the stallion by the ear and pulled the horse’s head down to him.
The Captain spoke sternly to the horse, whispering in Elvish , telling him exactly what he would do to him if he ever ran away again .
The stallion stood trembling, he knew of Glyndr’s angry displeasure.
“Get back to the stables!”Glyndr released the horse’s ear and slapped its rump hard.

Sylstar waited until the elf had turned his back then snapped at him in sheer wickedness, catching Glyndr on the shoulder.
The Captain spun round with a curse, “Sylstar!” the elf ran at the horse.
Sylstar ran faster, back to the stables.

“We go to the meeting” Glyndr rubbed at his shoulder ignoring the embarrassment he felt.”Diablo, we need you there too, I am afraid hay and water willl have to wait a while”.

“Cap’n Glyndr”…. The stable lad’s anxious voice stopped him dead.

Neth was missing....

“What!” The Captain felt both anxious and angry.
Anxious in case she had been captured or killed, and angry that she should be missing the meeting. As much as he hated to admit it, he needed her skills for the section that would ride out.
Another part of him was curious, she was not stupid, a skilled rider he guessed, and not one to be taken unawares by the enemy.

“Then we search for the female too!” he snapped as he turned to go to the courtyard.
Glyndr stopped , he put his hand to his head with a sigh.
Lalaith, he had forgotten Lalaith was with him.

The Captain turned and walked back to his wife, he ran his hand through her hair , and slid his hand to the back of her neck.
“Lalaith “, he pulled her head forward gently , to rest against his shoulder.
“My love, I shall leave you again soon, I must. Come with me to the meeting if you wish”.
He kissed the top of her head, “Or go to our chambers, I will come to you before we leave”.

The Captain stood back, and with one last glance, went to the courtyard.

“We have information that will lead us to find our captive comrades” Glyndr addressed the assembled troops.
“ I need volunteers, to form a section, Only those fit to ride and wield a sword will be considered. It will be no easy task, and we will have to fight for their freedom no doubt.” He looked at Diablo, “The horse will lead us there if he is willing”.
The Captain scanned the faces before him. Faces he knew well.
Tired faces, faces that showed fear in their eyes, other eyes burned with a courage the Captain respected and needed.
“We leave soon, we have no time to waste, Eadoin , Arato,” Glyndr turned to the men, “Tell us all you know”.

OOC Iell , please tell me if I need to edit /add for any of your plans ! And everyone , please go ahead with rescue plans...We have to get going ASAP!

[Edited on 24/5/2006 by elflyn]
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2006 04:04
OOC: No Lynnie, it's fine! Oh, and thanks for the heads up that I forgot to translate. I added it to my last post, but I'll just say here she told the horse to go home. This post turned out longer than I had intended it to, but I swear, it is all Neth's fault! She took over and just would not let me stop typing! And, yes, she is very aware of the fact that her actions could be construed as flirtatious, but she is female after all...

Neth spied the horse she had been following, but not the rider. Her instincts told her something was wrong. Very wrong. She shifted slightly in the tree, cautiously looking around. Neth was positive she was being watched, but whether it was by one or by several, she was not sure.

Her eyes widened when she saw a small cluster of orcs in the camp and she whispered, "Orcs..." Her hand went immediately to her sword hilt and her expression hardened. Was it an orc she had been chasing? One would not have thought so, not on horseback. What exactly is going on here? she thought. I fought orcs in the village with my brothers and there were no horses...Why are there horses and orcs in the same place now? Her thoughts were muddled, confused.

She slowly slid down from the tree and listened to the sounds around her. She was far enough from the camp yet for their beady little eyes not to see her, and dressed in the dark browns and greens as she was, she would blend in fairly well. Her hair could be seen as sunlight in the trees, at least to those stupid orcs. It was with sudden dismay that she realized she had no armor on, only her leathers.

Well, I am armed, and should any orcs attack me, they will see I will not go down easily. She turned in a semicircle around the tree she had been perched in, her eyes watching for any movement, her ears alert for any sound, her feet in constant motion, turning her body slightly with every step, so that she was a constantly moving target.

She thanked the Valar that the trunks of the trees were relatively thin here, so she could see no orcs hiding behind them. True, there was thicker underbrush, but if that was all she needed focus her attention on, so much the better. She bit her lip and wished now she had not sent Berior away, for just a moment, and then realized that had she not, her beloved friend, the only one who had always stuck by her, would himself become a target, and she could not have that.

As her eyes flicked over a section of underbrush, they stopped and narrowed. There was someone there.

Her eyes quickly flickered to the area around her. She was essentially boxed in by trees, and they would never allow her freedom of movement. To get past whoever was in the brush, she would be putting herself in a tough position. Then she looked up, and Neth smiled broadly.

She jumped up and grabbed a branch, swinging herself up and lying on the branch for a moment and saying softly, so as to not be heard in the camp, "I see you. Granted it is not clearly, and I admire your skill at getting so close to me. The last time someone got that close, they ended up eventually with a dagger sunk into the base of their skull. That is not my desire today. I mistook you for someone else, and in no way did I intend to interfere with anything." She pulled herself to a standing position on the branch, one arm raised above her head, lightly grasping the branch above her, the other hand resting on her hip, far enough from her sword hilt to obviously not be touching it, but not so far she could not defend herself. Besides, her second dagger rested an inch from her fingers, wedged in the back of her belt, so she felt confident in her ability to defend herself. "So, why don't you rise from the brush and we can talk like civilized parties? After all, you don't smell like an orc, so you must be civilized, at least somewhat." She cracked a smile, and tossed her braids back over her shoulders. She hoped the response would be quick and civil. Standing on a tree branch in hot, skintight leather was not exactly her idea of fun, especially with the sun filtering through the trees and beating down on her the way it was. Neth shifted her arm slightly to block a ray of the sun from striking her in the eyes, and that simple movement was enough to cast a shadow across her face that seemed to deepen the color of her eyes to a sapphire blue.

As she waited for a response, a tiny voice in her head kept whispering to her, reminding her of her sins of the past, and of the need to kill to protect her secrets. Her fingers began to itch for the feel of her sword hilt, and she had to fight back the desire to simply leap out of the tree and land sword first in the brush.

She remained there, stockstill, an angelic elleth perched high in the tree, a smile on her face.

otterling
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2006 08:29
"I'm afraid you... won't find Lord Elrond around, Hannalisa... He... was killed by orcs some time ago; I would suppose in the same battle that brought news to your mountain..."

Hanni raised one bushy eyebrow at Istale; she would have been convinced it was a sad attempt at a joke had it not been for the deep sorrow that seemed to roll off the young elf in heavy waves. The girl’s voice was choked, as if it were an act of will just to utter the words. The unspoken question in her eyes left Hanni scrambling to try and explain. How could the elves understand? Her own people would go for month, years, and even whole lifetimes without making contact with other Dwarves; eventually some emissary would venture forth and break bread with their cousins in some other hall, gain news and then travel back. The problems of the upper world often went unheard and unknown. Only small tidbits of information, rumors and gossip, would trickle down to the mountain halls in reassurance that the world above them still existed at all. Hanni stood staring at the elf while her mind busily processed this shocking news. “well, I…uh,” the flustered dwarf coughed out a lame apology, the only thing she could think to say, “I’m sorry to hear that…..we….w..uh…didn’t know that.” Hanni coughed a bit to cover her embarrassment. ‘Wonderful job being an emissary so far,’ she chided herself.

Hanni scratched her sideburns, rubbed her chin, and just generally looked flustered. “We don’t get much news from Rivendell down in the Hall,” she said finally, “but I suppose I will need to speak to whom ever is in charge now.” Hanni almost dreaded to know what had happened to the rest of Lord Elrond’s family. She had been given a few long briefings, during which she had allowed the many, many names of the elvish family members to drone on into a jumble of funny sounding words that made little sense, and now she found herself unable to remember the elf Lord’s sons. Ellalir? Ellyhoo? Enanar? She rambled through all the names she could remember (and a few new ones to boot) trying to remember the right one to use. Hanni’s train of thought, however, was suddenly interrupted by the screeching wail of some demon that had stumbled into Rivendell. Hanni reached instinctively for her hammer and began moving with purpose for the noise. If the enemy had summoned some horrible beast to destroy Rivendell, then she would help speed the monster back to the depths of the abyss.

A crowd was beginning to rush in the same direction and Hanni turned to see if Istale was going to follow. “C’mon lass, sounds like that aren’t natural, they’ll be needin’ help!” she growled out, slapping the hammer into her palm to emphasize the point. Hanni turned back and rushed (as much as dwarves really can rush anywhere) towards the site of the commotion. Her short stubby little legs left her clanking along slower than most and she saw several people rushing out of a small building to her left, closest to the stables. She could only assume it was the smithy as the thick plume of smoke wafted out of several chimneys on its sloped roof. In the center of the main courtyard there stood what she could only assume was the source of all the commotion; a large black horse, larger than any she had ever seen, stood panting and snorting as it pawed at the ground before it. The familiar form of the captain stood to one side, staring down at the ground as if watching the horse’s hooves with interest. Slowly a crowd began to gather about them and the horse, if it really was a horse and Hanni wasn’t all that sure, was now trying to maintain some sense of calm. The animal’s eyes were wide and angry, its ears flat against its head, and its flanks twitched as if the animal simply could not hold still. Another large grey warhorse stood to its side, equally as twitchy, and Hanni recognized the beast as the one the ice captain rode.

The beautiful elf lady who had escorted the captain away so quickly before was standing to one side, looking lost in the hustle of activity. There was a forlorn longing in her eyes as she stared at the broad shoulders of the captain. It dawned on Hanni that she didn’t even know their names. She had been in Rivendell a full twenty-four hours and the only people she had been introduced to were Istale and Bellas. The rest of Rivendell remained an enigma. The cluster broke up a bit as the captain sent the large grey away (receiving a nip on the shoulder for his efforts) and then in hushed and angry tones, he ordered one of the young soldiers around him to be off on some errand or another. The subordinate looked about ready to fly out of his skin in his haste to do his commander’s bidding and Hanni’s respect for the captain raised another notch. He was tough, this one. Though and mean but he had a good sense of humor and that counted for a lot. The young soldier was headed her way when he skidded to a halt, taken aback by the sudden appearance of a dwarf headed in the other direction, and after staring at the small ball of clanking metal, he shook himself back to reality and stated in breathless tones, “The captain wishes to see you, we are leaving soon to find Narmion and Rolan.” Without awaiting a response, the soldier tore off once more.

Hanni cast his retreating form an odd look. Narmion and Rolan? Who in all the dark….? The names suddenly came back in a flood, an image of the captain on his horse calling out those very two names as he waded through the bodies of the dead and dying. Hanni had been mistaken, they were not among the dead, they were among the captured. Suppressing a shudder at the idea of what that meant, Hanni continued her slow but tireless progress toward the crowd and the captain. She finally slowed her noisy jog when she came to the slowly spreading ring of onlookers, and, panting a bit from the effort, she clomped her way over to the ice captain. Without a word she simply moved to stand next to him. It was obvious enough that the never-shy captain would tell her what he wanted when he was ready; in the meantime she merely contented herself to cast her gaze around the ring of elves and humans, taking in their reactions and their positions in relation to each other. The captain’s gaze had fixed on two of the humans and he seemed to be waiting for some sort of reply.

((OOC: Sorry, Di'shan is busy torturing so he won't be in this one. I'll let you know when I'm done with that one. ))
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2006 11:14
"I... er... well..." Eadoin was very flustered to find the attention of the garrison of Imladris focused suddenly and solely on him. Aiden prodded him in the back to get him speaking. Eadoin coughed to clear his throat.

"Right. So um, I found the enemy camp this morning. It's about 6 leagues* northwest of here, by my measure. It's pretty well hidden in the woods, and it's pretty big..." Eadoin trailed off uncertainly for a moment to glance at Glyndr before continuing. "I'm not sure how many there are, but I estimate about 200 or so orcs, and maybe 50 men around. Rolan and Narmion are being kept in a tent close to the edge of camp." Crouching down, Eadoin took a stick into his hands and began to sketch a rough layout of the camp.

"There's a large tent here, in the center," he said, drawing a large triangle. "It might belong to the leader. The horse picket is over here," he drew a dahsed line. and there are tents everywhere else. There's a stream on the western side of the camp. The tent that Rolan and Narmion are being held in is about here." Eadoin sketched a triangle near the edge of the trees and circled it.

"From what I saw, I'd have to say that the leader was an elf?" Without his permission, the statement had come out sounding more like a question. Flushing, he quickly tried to cover for himself. "O' course, I could be just seeing things, I'm not sure. The torturer appears to be Haradhrim - he's dark skinned and he's got dark hair. There was another man that I saw, coming out of the tent with the other two. He looked like a Gondorian, but I can't be sure."

"And, uh, that's pretty much all I can tell you... 'cept that the Gondorian looked a lot like Arato..."

"Like... me?" Arato whispered. His eyes widened with an indescribable emotion, and he blanched. Was it... Morgai? Shaking his head, he regained his composure. Couldn't be him. Arato didn't think that he would have deserted, no matter the reasons.

"Arato?" Aiden asked in a whisper, leaning closer to his older brother. "Anything wrong?"

"Nothing, I'm fine," Arato replied, taking a few calming breaths.

----------

As the form in the tree descended to the ground, Morgai finally got a good look at him. Pointed ears were framed by a few whisps of flyaway golden hair. An elf. The ellon turned around, apparently looking for Morgai, but moving as he did so, presenting a moving target. Oh, the temptation Morgai had to just put a dagger in his leg! His hands inched towards the daggers in his sleeves, but he stopped himself before they closed on the hilts.

Wait, Morgai, he told himself. Going after him now won't be a good idea. Wait until he fully turns around before attacking. See what you could be up against.

Morgai was very startled when the elf turned fully around, almost falling onto his behind in surprise. The he-elf was clearly a she-elf! She was quite beautiful... until her eyes found where he was hiding and she climbed into a tree, well above his reach.

Blast! Morgai cursed himself for being so careless. However, he was pleased that he had had the opportunity to sneak up on an elf and go unnoticed for several long moments, so he decided to oblige her and show himself. Standing up to his full 6 foot height, he brushed dirt and leaves from his brown leggings.

"No, I'm not an orc," he called up to her, stepping from the underbrush so he wouldn't get his feet tangled up. Grinning at Nethraueth, he crossed his arms over his chest, hands also far away from his sword but very close to his daggers, hidden in his sleeves and further hidden in his cloak. "Nasty creatures, aren't they?"

"But I take it you're not here to talk about orcs, my little songbird. Come, sing me your tale, little bird! Why are you here?"

(( Two can play at the 'I'm not going to act like you're my enemy' game, Neth. Anyways, if the numbers seem a bit much, I'll edit and tone them down. Further, keep an eye out on the OOC thread, I'll be drawing a map of the camp as seen by Eadoin.))
EDIT: Oops. For reference: 6 leagues translates to roughly 18 miles.

[Edited on 24/5/06 by Nimeneth]
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 24, 2006 01:27
After they had walked a while in a silence that spoke a thousand words between them, Glyndr stopped at a willow.

The raven-haired elf pulled Lalaith down to sit beside him beneath the tree, memories of what seemed aeons ago returned as if only yesterday.
Glyndr drew her to him in a soft embrace, afraid to let her go, in fear that she would vanish as the sun was now, dimmed by a dark cloud.

“Lalaith, I do not know what I would do without you at my side”, Glyndr stroked her face, his fingertip tracing the outline of her jaw to the tip of her ear.
“ Without you I am nothing, you are my strength and weakness Lalaith, I love you”.

“I love you too,” Lalaith sighed, smiling as he traced the line of her face and sent a soft thrill through her, “More than I could ever express with words.”
Inwardly she thought (but didn’t say) she didn’t know what she’d do without him either- which was why she so hated knowing he would be leaving her again. She couldn’t imagine having to go on without him- and though he was a skilled, ruthless warrior, she knew that he could still fall in battle. Had the blade that raked his stomach gone any deeper he might have died, or not even be able to leave the bed. Even as the elleth sought not to dwell on such thoughts they filled her mind and heart. At least they would have this time together.

Suddenly a grin touched his lips- the wicked, playful one that often came when he’d been up to some sort of mischief. Despite herself she smiled and raised an eyebrow, wondering what her tom-cat-of-a-husband had gone and done this time.

, “Remember when we sat beneath a willow, much the same as we are now? When we first met?”
Glyndr fished a small linen bundle from the front of his tunic.
“Strawberries” he whispered with an even wickeder grin. He opened the bundle to reveal six large strawberries.
“We ate strawberries then” he said the grin wider. “I am sure the gardener won’t miss these”.

She remembered it well- the memories of the time they’d shared then- when he’d first admitted his love for her… she thought on those happier days often. Just as she opened her mouth to get onto him for robbing the gardener of fruit Glyndr put one of the berries to her lips, and she smiled at him as she ate it.

“Very well,” she said softly, offering one of the morsels to him, “I will let you get away with it this time, my love.”

The time passed too quickly for Lalaith- every moment she rested in her love’s arms was precious, and when a stable-hand came to tell Glyndr that his horse had returned, she all but had to bite back tears. She knew she was being selfish- the matters at hand were important, more important than she was- but she didn’t want her time with her husband to end!
She went silently with him back to the city, but ended up staying out of the way at first. She watched him take charge and spit orders, no longer unsettled by the way he seemed to lose his temper- but she was silent. He seemed to forget she was there, and she sighed inwardly- it was much better to have him smiling playfully than to see him acting thus.

The Captain turned and walked back to his wife, he ran his hand through her hair , and slid his hand to the back of her neck.
“Lalaith “, he pulled her head forward gently , to rest against his shoulder.
“My love, I shall leave you again soon, I must. Come with me to the meeting if you wish”.
He kissed the top of her head, “Or go to our chambers, I will come to you before we leave”.

The Captain stood back, and with one last glance, went to the courtyard.

For a moment she stood, blinking after him. She really had no place in a strategic meeting- but there was no way she wouldn’t take every moment she could get in his presence. Picking up her skirts she hurried after, being jostled by the crowd gathering there. As she listened to first her husband, than Eadoin speaking, she wished desperately that there was something *she* could do… but she was no warrior, and she could offer no advice. She hated to think of Narmion and Rolan- both dear friends- being tortured. She couldn’t even imagine what sort of horrors they were suffering. What if they weren’t even alive?

The elleth’s eyes were on Glyndr throughout the meeting- she hardly noticed the dwarf, or anyone else present. Presently she grew tired of standing off alone and went to be at his side, looping her arm through his. His muscles were tense- Lalaith could sense that he was eager to begin planning his friends’ rescue, but she didn’t want him to go trying to sneak into the enemy camp. There was no point in trying to convince him… he was an ellon of duty, and he always had been. That filled her with pride for him, and love- but also with worry. She didn’t want to be here, talking of such dark matters- she wanted to be with him, in the comforting circle of his arms, hearing the thrumming of the heart that beat for her.

-------------------------------------------------------

Bellas hadn’t had time to say anything before Neth had run off. Then he just stood there with the hammer hanging at his side for a few moments. What had he done to upset her?! He truly couldn’t stop working- she should have known that! She must have sensed his unease. Wiping his brow again, and becoming worried (for something was definitely wrong with his old friend to have her acting so) he left the smithy and went after her. She was nowhere to be seen, though, and he glowered at himself as he headed back to work. She needed a friend now, after losing her brothers- not someone avoiding her as if she were a disease. Some good friend he’d turned out to be to her!

He went on morosely, wondering why Hanni didn’t come… and as he finally completed the metal work for the sword he decided he’d best locate Neth and apologize, if she’d hear it. Plus, Glyndr still hadn’t sent the tally.

What he found, however, was a meeting in the courtyard. Something important must have happened…. Sighing, and aware again that he was still shirtless, the elf walked over to where the crowd was gathered. Looking over someone’s shoulder he saw a map etched in the dirt. Shaking his head he stood back and listened- Narmion and Rolan had both been captured, and were being tortured. That made him wince inwardly. He hadn’t known Narmion very well, but the child had run errands for him often, and he’d spoke with both of them on many occasions.

He noticed Arato’s unsettlement- but he disregarded it, moving instead over to where Hanni stood. When she met his gaze he offered her a grim smile, noting that she seemed very interested in the proceedings. He wondered if she’d offer her help in the rescue. For himself, he wasn’t so sure- he would go if it was asked of him, but his place was in the smithy.

(bleh, tis really a ‘nothing’ post… but its something, right? )
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2006 02:37
"Are you alright, Diablo?" Eadoin asked, approaching the large black hesitantly. "They didn't hurt you, I hope..." He put a hand on the stallion's neck. "We're probably going to need you too, to find the camp again..."

Diablo nuzzled Eadoin's hand to assure him that he was indeed all right. Everything with him was fine - it was Rolan the stallion was truly worried about. And Narmion as well. Diablo flattened his ears against his skull as an involuntary shudder ran the length of his body. Those screams... Well, it was time to convice the humans to come, strange priorities or no.

“We have information that will lead us to find our captive comrades” Glyndr addressed the assembled troops.
“ I need volunteers, to form a section, Only those fit to ride and wield a sword will be considered. It will be no easy task, and we will have to fight for their freedom no doubt.” He looked at Diablo, “The horse will lead us there if he is willing”.

Diablo delicately bared his teeth and shook his head. He was more than willing. If these two-leggers would hurry up and start moving, he would be much happier. This was a delicate procedure to be carried out, after all. No matter how much squeaking at each other they did, the operation would still be risky - best to take a few of the most trusted two-leggers and get this over with quickly. If Glyndr couldn't make a choice, Diablo decided he would choose.

The Captain scanned the faces before him. Faces he knew well.
Tired faces, faces that showed fear in their eyes, other eyes burned with a courage the Captain respected and needed.
“We leave soon, we have no time to waste, Eadoin , Arato,” Glyndr turned to the men, “Tell us all you know”.

Eadoin began making those noises that meant something to the two-leggers, and drawing in the dirt. Diablo watched with detatched interest for a moment. Then he shook his head and backed out of the circle.

The powerful black horse started circling the group, assessing all of the members there. He wanted stealth to come with him - that would have been Rolan. Now... He picked his target and came in, grabbing the loose fabric of Eadoin's shirt in his teeth to drag the young man off to the side where he snorted at him to stay put.

The stallion noticed the arrival of several new people, most noticably a strong-looking Elf without a shirt (Diablo heartily approved - it was too hot for the two-legger stallions to go around wearing clothing...) and a short orange-ish, fuzzy bush that moved. In his quick, horse way of thinking, he surmised that these two would do well on the mission as well and attempted to herd them over to join Eadoin. They did not cooperate. Diablo bared his teeth and hissed at them, threatening them with no oats, or worse, if they didn't cooperate. Ari had to intervene to keep him from biting the fuzzy bush.

Just a few more, then. The stallion had already decided Glyndr would be coming - there was no stopping that, obviously. But not his lovely mate, though Diablo could almost feel the distress rolling off her. One more. Arato stood out in his mind immediately and he tugged the man over to Eadoin before prancing over to Glyndr to proudly announce his selection. He couldn't understand why they weren't leaving already. Let's go, he nickered, already set to go. He sidled back to Eadoin and Arato and impatiently motioned for them to mount up.

Ari attempted to suppress and exasperated sigh when she saw Diablo tugging people hither, thither and yon across the courtyard. She knew what the horse was doing. He'd taken it upon himself to choose his own rescue party, because Glyndr obviously wasn't doing it quickly enough. She would have let herself watch in amusement, but then the stallion turned to Bellas and the dwarf and she had to cut between them because it looked as if the large, black horse was being a little too forward.

"No, Diablo - back," she growled at him, pushing on his heavily muscled chest, trying to get him away from Bellas. He only seemed intent on grabbing the Elf. She pulled his ear down and whispered something into it and he backed off right away, going on to drag Arato away from the group. The Elf rolled her eyes and pulled the horse away again. When Diablo made it clear he didn't approve of her interrupting his selection, she held up a hand to signal him to wait. He bobbed his head once.

When the circle went all silent, Arianna stepped into them and said quietly, "We have a member of the group who really does wish to be on his way, Captain." Being around Glyndr always left her slightly flustered. He was a very imposing Elf, to say the least. "Diablo has made it quite clear he wishes to be off at once, and from what I know of him, I would assume it is because there is - or will be - great harm coming to Narmion and Rolan.

"Furthermore," she continued, a little more confident now, "he has also indicated his selection of members to go. You may wish to modify the list somewhat, Captain. He chose Eadoin, Bellas, Hannalisa and Arato to go." She indicated the mounts even now making their way from the stables to the courtyard. "I believe he is trying to make certain they come. Please bring everyone home safely."

She backed out of the ring quickly and moved over to Eadoin, wrapping her arms around him and whispering into his ear "If you manage to get yourself hurt, I'll lock you in the deepest, darkest dungeon I can find to keep you from doing it again. Take care, love."

Dirk stripped Mordane of her saddle, grumbling over irresponsible owners who let their mares wander around free. "Look at this lass," he said to her, holding up her reins. "You could have tripped over this, and that foul man you call master wouldn't have had a beast to ride at all. He thinks he knows horses. They all think they know horses. What they know is the outside of you lovely creatures. They don't know anything about what's inside your pretty skulls, do they now?"

As if in agreement, Mordane butted him playfully in the chest. "Yes, that's my girl," Dirk said cheerfully. "Now that you're all cleaned up beautiful, go play nice with the other horses, lady."
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2006 08:20
"No, I'm not an orc," he called up to her, stepping from the underbrush so he wouldn't get his feet tangled up. Grinning at Nethraueth, he crossed his arms over his chest, hands also far away from his sword but very close to his daggers, hidden in his sleeves and further hidden in his cloak. "Nasty creatures, aren't they?"

"Yes, I can see you are not a orc," Neth said softly, the tiny smile never leaving her face as her eyes scanned over his six foot frame, starting at his feet and ending at his brown eyes. There was something masked in those eyes, and she couldn't help but wonder what secrets lay hidden inside him. She had seen that look before, had seen it in her own mirror that morning. She decided she would have to size him up a bit more. "And yes, they are rather vile, and disgusting."

"But I take it you're not here to talk about orcs, my little songbird. Come, sing me your tale, little bird! Why are you here?"

Neth chuckled softly. "I told you already. I thought you were someone else. So I followed you." She shrugged and sat down on the branch, dangling her legs and swinging them back and forth a bit. "I didn't mean to intrude, honestly. I had no idea that there was a camp here, and I thought about actually going into the camp and looking around, perhaps find someone who might be willing to let me share a meal with them." She tilted her head to one side as she was talking, and twirled one of her braids with a finger as she looked up at the sky. Her eyes settled back on his then and she said almost wistfully, "It has been a dreadfully long time since I have had even a semi-decent meal." She smiled again, and it appeared almost sad, as she whispered, "But then I saw the orcs in the camp, and I knew I couldn't." She looked down at the ground and then back up at him. "My brothers and I were trying to defend a small village that was being attacked by orcs and in the course of the battle, my brothers were killed. Since then, I have been wandering alone, with no companionship, no friends..." Her voice dwindled away and Nethraueth cleared her throat and said, "No one to protect me." She caught his eyes and held them, and said softly, "I am not a great fighter or anything. It was by pure luck that the orcs thought I was dead, because one of my brothers' bodies fell on me and I was knocked unconscious when my head hit the ground. When I woke up, it was nearly dark and everyone around me was dead. So I took my brothers' weapons and strapped them on, and have hoped that I would not have to use them."

Neth fell silent and played with a leaf from the tree, letting it catch the dappled sunlight and then letting it slowly spin its way to the ground. She looked up suddenly and looked at him in shock. "I'm sorry! I just realized I never even bothered to introduce myself. I am Neth." She smiled at him and said, "I would shake your hand in the manner of Men, but that would prove difficult, I expect, seeing as how I am all the way up here, and you are down there." She leaned casually against the tree and asked, "So, tell me, what is your name and why are you camping with orcs? You don't seem like that kind of man. I mean, you seem relatively friendly for someone who was just followed by a stranger because of a case of mistaken identity." Neth adjusted the front of her leather vest as she spoke, smoothing it down over her stomach. She could smell the warm leather, heated by the sun, and she tucked her warrior's braids behind her ears and smiled sweetly at him, her eyes sparkling with the joy she was deriving from this game of cat and mouse.

Neth was watching the stranger's face and body movements. She didn't trust him in the slightest, knowing he travelled with those vile creatures, but she kept smiling and semi-flirting with him for two reasons. One, because he was not a bad looking man, and two, because she was hoping he would believe her story. Part of it was true. Her brothers had fallen during the battle with the orcs in the village, and she hadn't had a decent meal in weeks. Besides, she had heard of women using their beauty to their advantage, and she had noticed that Men and ellyn alike had seemed charmed by her smile and her soft manner of speaking when she was not doing battle. So perhaps there was a chance that it might work with this Man.

[Edited on 25/5/2006 by Iell-daughter-of-elves]
Autumn_Winds
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2006 12:50
[OOC: Major catching up to do! Goodness. >.< Will skim to avoid too much back-tracking and lousy-by-comparison writing!]

Alcina had been tending to her horse when the screams started. Her movements having become entirely too jerky, she debated between leaving the camp to do a little convenient scouting, or retiring to her tent to wait out the torture session. In the end, she decided to stay in camp. The last time she had chosen to leave, she had stayed out entirely too long; the derisory glances had been a little too high a price to pay for such a short period of peace.

~*~

When the screams finally ended, Alcina took a moment to steady her shaking hands, before trying once more to tidy up her already rather tidy tent. A *boy* had been tortured.

With a sudden angry movement, she turned and stalked out of her tent for lunch.

~*~

After lunch, Alcina headed straight back to her tent to collect herself. It was, perhaps, a little antisocial of her, but she wasn’t there to make friends, anyway. She was there so she could survive another day; she was there so she had food to eat and water (and other interesting liquids) to drink; she was there so she did not have to constantly worry about being seen by some family friend and thus incurring her parents’ wrath; she was there so she did not have to go home. Or to what others referred to as her home, in any case.

That is, if they were ever told that she actually had one.

She wasn’t there so she could have a hand in slaughter. The jobs she had taken before this had been tame; she had not experienced such violence and bloodshed – well, at least not anything as deliberately violent and bloody as this. It was not battle that disturbed her – she had gotten used to that soon enough – it was the cruel, inhuman way captives were treated that left her with doubts as to the wisdom of her decision to take up the job. Of course, she had not known that was how things would turn out, when she had sought out Ondet.

With a sigh, Alcina realized that her thoughts were taking a dangerous turn. The torture was necessary, of course. Information about Rivendell was not so easy to come by – the few who fell into their hands after visiting the place seldom remembered much besides the pretty buildings and natural feel of things. Those who knew more tended to feel a sense of loyalty towards the place, and were rather suspicious of these odd, vaguely threatening, and rather sinister people who were looking for information. Torture helped adjust their view on things.

It was the boy that was getting to her. The elves deserved what was coming to them, perhaps, for having offended Ondet. But the boy! How old was he; how could he possibly have played a part in whatever it was Ondet was seeking revenge for? It had to be revenge he was seeking; the cold light in his eyes might have been caused by madness, but his single-mindedness could only be the product of an over-powering hunger for revenge. But all the crime the boy had committed was making the wrong friends. Chances were he didn’t even know of Ondet’s existence, had never heard of him, and probably wouldn’t have been concerned if he had. The incident had probably occurred too long ago to have any importance to a boy, a human boy – after all, humans were not blessed (or cursed?) with the immortality that the elves possessed.

But that was enough of that. She could not afford to be sympathetic; it would interfere with her job. The world was never fair; and cruelty was an inescapable part of human nature, really. Standing up resolutely, Alcina changed into very slightly inconvenient, but very, very socially acceptable feminine garb. She always believed that it was most important to be as inconspicuous as possible. A woman out in the woods all alone when it was getting a little late would always be curious, but it was better to be thought foolish than suspicious.

As she left her tent, Alcina remembered that she had not really taken proper care of Kalina that morning. A little guiltily, she headed over to check on the mare before leaving camp.

~*~

And Dirk was with the horses. Alcina stopped short. If he was with the horses, they were probably all fine; the Rohirrim took good care of their animals.

She was reluctant to move closer. Many people in the camp preferred their solitude. Or at least she did. Better to be alone, even lonely, than be in the company of one such as Di’Shan, or Ondet, or some of the others. They sent chills down the spine of any normal person. Their minds were unnatural, unfeeling.

And so she was loathe to disturb him.

Until she saw that he had finished tending to a horse that had recently entered the camp – Morgai’s, actually, if she wasn’t mistaken – and she could not help but try to re-affirm her humanity.

“Hello, Dirk,” she said quietly, walking up to him. “We probably ought to be grateful to you for taking such good care of the horses.”

[OOC: Hope you don’t mind me disturbing him like that!]
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2006 04:06
OOc// Dirky doesn't mind being disturbed.

Dirk looked up to see Alcina, but it took a moment for him to register that she was talking to him. "Oh," he said, a little too fast. "Yes - thank you... What are you doing here?" The appearence of the only female in Ondet's considerable group slightly unnerved him. It wasn't that she repulsed him as Di'shan did, or that she made him wary as being around Morgai did, but something a little less obvious about her. Maybe it was because she reminded him of Melanie, though the two of them looked nothing alike. That would be it, Dirk surmised. Because she was female, she reminded him of his lovely wife and drove home the feeling of being lost.

He carefully finished his braiding in the mane of a sweet buckskin filly. She nuzzled his shoulder before trotting off to show off her beautiful new 'hair-style' to her fellow year-mates. Dirk had let the delicate work distract him from having to listen to Alcina, but now that the filly was no longer there, he guessed he had to be polite for the time being. Maybe he could plead weariness and escape. However, no matter how he was feeling, he took care to carefully mask his emotions. It would not do much good to seem to slight anyone.

A couple of horses came up to Dirk and rested their heads on his shoulders, peering interestedly at Alcina. Dirk had been among them long enough to almost be able to read their thoughts. They wondered who the newcomer was. Absently the Rohirrim ran a hand over their noses, acknowledging their presence while he waited for a response from the female mercenary.

He flowed through camp, barely noticing the way the orcs threw themselves upon the ground as he passed. It was more than fear - they almost worshipped him. In their eyes he was akin to a god. And right now, he was a rather angry god. The horse was gone. There were two possibilities that presented themselves to Ondet: either Di'shan had overstepped his bounds - possible, but unlikely - or Dirk had. The latter was much more likely than the former. Ondet had seen the man's reaction to the horse when Sakhar had been choking it. He'd noted the smothered anger that still filled Dirk's eyes whenever he passed by the gorgeous creature.

So, Dirk was responsible for the horse's absense. Therefore, Ondet would make Dirk pay. The man could start with losing his youngest child to Di'shan. The Elf would send out the man this very day - after the interrogation, of course. Now to find him. Di'shan could hide a little too well for Ondet's comfort.

One orc wasn't quick enough to throw himself prostrate as Ondet passed. The Elf seized the orc by the throat and cooly imparted his instructions. "Find Di'shan. Tell him I wish to speak with him. If he's busy, inform him that it is imperitive I speak with him. It's about Dirk. Now go, scum." Ondet dropped the orc, who rushed off at once, still gasping for breath, but elated that its god-figure had spoken to it. The stupid thing.

Ondet swept back to his tent and went inside, settling himself on the floor and entering a reverie while he waited.

OOc// Just let Di'shan get the message after torture-time, ookies?
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2006 05:14
[OOC: Fuzzy bushes… LOL!!!!!!!! Nothingness post ahead, but I have to bring Istalë up to date, and ‘m not quite sure what else to do ><]

Hanni seemed more than a bit dumbstruck at the revelation, and for a moment the boisterous little dwarf seemed unable to find anything to say. She opened and closed her mouth a few times, as if she wanted to speak, but each time deciding otherwise at the last moment. Not that there was much she could say, and personally Istalë was glad that the dwarf did not try to offer any useless condolences. She had heard such canned phrases all too often too recently, said to herself, said by herself, said to others, by others… There were just too many things to be sorry for, and they were all things for which mere words held little to no comfort. In fact, the usual sayings all held a strange, hard and impersonal quality to them now, and they almost always sounded insincere no matter the intentions of the speaker; such was the extent to which they had been used.

“well, I…uh,” the flustered dwarf coughed out a lame apology, the only thing she could think to say, “I’m sorry to hear that…..we….w..uh…didn’t know that.” Hanni coughed a bit to cover her embarrassment.

Istalë shook her head semi-good-naturedly as her frazzled, wrong-footed acquaintance scratched a flaming sideburn with thick, muscled fingers, tugging on the wiry, wayward hair in frustration. Oh, but how could Hanni not know? The dwarves were such a strange race indeed. But observing the other’s discomfort, the elleth decided not to pursue the subject any further, at least for the time being.

“but I suppose I will need to speak to whom ever is in charge now.”

She nodded mutely. It would have to be Arianna, seeing as how neither Elladan nor Elrohir seemed to be in any position to carry out their duties by birthright. She turned to lead Hanni indoors, to seek out the other elleth, but before they had advanced a foot down the shadowy hallway a loud scream resounded from beyond, followed by an immediate commotion.

Suddenly it seemed all of Rivendell in the immediate vicinity sprang to life; the screams were so terrifying, almost an unearthly wail, full of unspeakable anger and torment. Istalë’s eyes widened – somewhere in the depths of her mind she knew what (or rather, who) that sound was coming from, but panic overcame her as it was many of the elves who were speeding by her on their way to the stableyard, and for a few brief, terrifying seconds that felt like hours each, she contemplated what manner of vile creature had been dredged up from the very depths of nameless childhood nightmares to invade what little peace was left in Imladris.

Before she knew what was happening Istalë was speeding full pelt after Hanni’s clomping, clanging form back down the way they had come to the stables, where they found an already substantial crowd gathered around the large black horse – Diablo, the boy had called him, had returned. The captain Glyndr stood flanked by Eadoin and Arato at the centre of it all, arms crossed as he watched the stallion’s tirade impassively, the horse circling and stamping in obvious agitation. He began stalking a way through the throng, scrutinising people with a horsey glare. With a slight pang of pity and empathy Istalë noticed the captain’s wife Lalaith standing quietly to one side, paces behind Glyndr and a bittersweet, anxious expression gracing her elegant face. When the tension seemed to become too much, the blonde moved forward to stand beside her husband, slipping a slender arm through his, trying to meet his eyes, but the ellon was already in the thick of action, barking out orders to his pale, trembling subordinates who scurried to do his bidding, thoroughly intimidated. The captain was in a terrible mood, and he was making it felt.

Then the activity was intensified as a large black thing began dragging people out of the crowd randomly, starting with the Rohirrim man Eadoin, which was when Istalë identified the unknown assailant as Diablo. He next turned his attentions to the smith Bellas, shirtless, grimy, and perspiring, looking very much as if he had arrived fresh from the smithy. Arianna chose that moment to attempt to intervene, stepping in between the pushy animal and the perplexed ellon. There was a brief moment when the stallion stopped short at the sight of Hanni, who stood by the elven smith, staring curiously up at the horse through her shock of carrot-hued hair. He snorted, cocked his great head, lowered it as if trying to make out what this foreign object might be, and then decided he wanted Hanni for whatever purpose (Istalë has a shrewd idea just what it was) he had in mind, and nipped at the dwarf’s flyaway locks unceremoniously before Arianna finally restrained him and signalled the horse to patience.

Finally the group fell silent, and Istalë could hear what was being said, and what exactly was going on.

"We have a member of the group who really does wish to be on his way, Captain." Being around Glyndr always left her slightly flustered. He was a very imposing Elf, to say the least. "Diablo has made it quite clear he wishes to be off at once, and from what I know of him, I would assume it is because there is - or will be - great harm coming to Narmion and Rolan.

"Furthermore," she continued, a little more confident now, "he has also indicated his selection of members to go. You may wish to modify the list somewhat, Captain. He chose Eadoin, Bellas, Hannalisa and Arato to go." She indicated the mounts even now making their way from the stables to the courtyard. "I believe he is trying to make certain they come. Please bring everyone home safely."

So the stallion knew of the whereabouts of their missing members of company, and from what she could tell from the animal’s obvious sense of urgency, they were not in the most pleasant of situations.
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2006 08:28
Glyndr was only vaguely aware of the dwarf’s arrival at his side. His attention focussed fully on Edoin as he spoke.
The Captain was concerned, the camp was much larger than he had expected. Small orc camps had been sighted at the borders, but none as large as this.

The thought worried him that the enemy could be so close to Imladris, He had not the warriors in his depleted ranks to stave off any attack.
He slipped his hand into Lalaith’s and entwined his fingers with hers. Glyndr was acutely aware of her intense feelings.
As always they needed no words between them, they knew each other’s very soul.
Their love bond unbreakable.
He was glad that she had stayed and not returned to their chambers.

The Elf Captain knew the group that would ride out to rescue Narmion and Rolan must be few in numbers. Secrecy must be their weapon,
He watched, bemused as Diablo chose for them.

“Yes ,” Glyndr turned his gaze to Ari, “ The animal is keen to be off, yet I think we must at least plan our moves, and carefully”
Ever the Captain, Glyndr was cautious. He trusted nothing to luck.
He nodded a bow to Ari , “ I shall do all within my power to bring them home safely, you need not fear on that account”.

The Captain looked at the chosen few.
Eadoin…Glyndr arched an eyebrow. Yes they needed the information from the lad. But how would he react if they met with opposition? Would the lad. COULD the lad fight?

The dwarf….The Captain thought the short hairy tornado was an excellent choice. The skill… he? Or was it she? (Glyndr could never tell the gender of dwarven kind), well, whatever the dwarf was, the skill with the hammer would be very useful.

Arato…..Glyndr frowned slightly, Yes, a good choice, but the Captain had hoped to have left his second in command in charge of the troops left in Imladris.
Glyndr would not leave the haven unprotected. However , Diablo had selected the human, and Glyndr would not disagree that Arato would be very useful if it came to a fight.

Bellas…. Well that one threw the Captain….Why would Diablo choose a smith ?
Diablo must have his reasons.

“ No ,” Glyndr replied to Ari as his icebright eyes scanned those chosen, “I do not need to modify the choice, Save, that I ask if any of those chosen does not wish to go, then he says so now”.

“Very well,” Glyndr nodded to Diablo.”We leave now”.
The Captain moved towards the circle edge a predator closing on its prey , his prey a young soldier .
“Telryn” . Glyndr stood facing the soldier, his intense stare almost hypnotic.
“Telryn, I temporarily promote you to Section Leader, I expect you to take charge of military matters while I , and my second are away”.
The stare became almost a threat, “I put my trust in you soldier…do not fail me”.

Telryn stood in shocked silence. He could not believe what he had just heard.
His Captain –god who he idolised had just given HIM a position of authority. Telryn knew his Captain would not have done this lightly.

“ I….I shall not fail you Captain” Telryn said his words sounding more confident than he felt.

“ No”, Glyndr stepped back a pace and surveyed the soldier with a critical eye, “ You had better not. You have been in service for a time now…you should damned well know what you are doing”.

The Captain turned and walked back to Lalaith.
“My love, it will not be forever” he took her face in his hands and kissed her softly, “ I shall have returned before you even know it, and with our friends, Lalaith I will not leave Narmion and the child as a sacrifice, and at the mercy of those depraved devils”.

Glyndr Kissed her once more, a featherlight kiss before mounting Sylstar . The animal now made ready for him. Glyndr took the reins of the palomino from the lad.
Narmion would need a horse to ride back.

“Lead us to them” Glyndr said to Diablo.
The Captain’s thoughts returned to Nethraueth.. Something was not right . The female who had almost bested him in a mere sparring match that had turned to a battle, would not have been stupid enough to have let herself be caught.
This elleth who matched his fire, both puzzled and worried him.

OOC..EEK had to edit typos. Grr must cut my fingernails! LOL

[Edited on 25/5/2006 by elflyn]
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2006 02:55
((Thanks for the elf, he really helped me finish my lab quickly!))

Mordome trotted into camp and made directly for the human Dirk, who was just finishing up with the other horses. She had been very careful with her reins dangling in front of her, but was nonetheless pleased when the two-legs took them into his hand.

Although Mordome liked her dark-haired two-leg stallion well enough, because he treated her well - most of time - she liked the blonde two-leg stallion more, because he made those nice sounds at her when he took care of her. She liked those sounds, especially the one that he made to her all the time. It made her feel special.

As he sent her off, she looked once to see if he was coming, but found he wasn't. Turning back, she butted him in the shoulder and whickered to make him feel better before going off to be with the other horses.

A while later, after Mordome had affectionetly nipped at the buckskin that had held Dirk's attention for a bit, another two-legs approached. Trotting over to Dirk in curiousity, Mordome looked over his shoulder in curiousity and snorted at the two-legs.

'Who are you?' she was asking.

----------

"Woah, Dia!" Eadoin said as he was pulled rougly from the circle by the back of his tunic. He flinched when the horse snorted in his face. If the horse had facial expressions, Eadoin imagined that he would be looking stern right now. "Okay, Dia, I get it. Stay put. You got it." He watched as the big black selected the others.

"Insistant horse, isn't he?" Arato asked, limping over as the stallion herded him over, along with the smith and the - wait, when had the dwarf arrived? And was it a he or a she? Eadoin peered at the flame-haired dwarf until Arato whacked him upside the head. "Manners, Eadoin. The dwarf has feelings like the rest of us, and I doubt she likes being stared at."

"She?"

"I really don't know, so I'm taking a guess. I have half a chance of being right," Arato whispered back. His attention was drawn once again to Diablo as the black stepped up to them and motioned them to mount.

"I can fight, Captain, if that's what you're wondering" Eadoin said as he felt Glyndr scrutinizing him. He adjusted his weapon harness as horses were lead out to them.

-----

When Eadoin had been chosen by Diablo to go on the mission, Aiden had joined the flurry of movement back to the stables. He had one horse to saddle and another to convince to wear a bridle at least. Since Eadoin was going, he assumed that Arato would be going as well - unlikely that the elder man would allow the younger to go off without supervision.

Saddling Eadoin's horse proved the easy part. Staring at Carloth over her stall door, Aiden decided that this would be the hard part. The red stared back at him, almost daring him to try anything. Shifting the soft halter in his hands, he opened her stall and approached her carefully. She back as far away from him as she could.

"Now come on, girl," he said, extending the halter in her direction. "It's got no bit, 's not going to hurt ya!" Carloth snorted at him. "Arato's gotta have some support! And it's not like I'm putting a saddle on your back. I know you wouldn't like that."

Carloth continued to withdraw from Aiden's advances with the halter until Aiden sighed and let the halter fall, stepping towards the horse and patting her on the neck with his free hand. He pulled her head down to the level of his mouth.

"You listen here, Carloth," he said to her. "You don't like bridles - that much I can tell. But do you think you could do Arato and I a little favor? Let me put this halter on you. This isn't going to be like that battle, girl, so he needs some way to stay balanced on you rather than pulling your mane. You wouldn't like that, would ya?"

As if almost in response, the red mare shook her head. With another snort at him, (Aiden translated it to mean 'I'm only doing this for Arato') she lowered her head towards the halter and stayed still as he slipped it over her head and set about making it secure.

When he finally got both horses out of the stables (a task in itself, since Carloth seemed to want to say her farewells to all the horses in the stables before leaving), Glyndr was already mounted. Aiden hurried over to his brothers, handing the reins of the horses to their respective riders. Eadoin swung easily up before Aiden handed him a belt of knives.

"You might need these," the older man said quietly, grinning up at his brother.

"Thanks," Eadoin replied. Aiden turned to Arato and gave him a leg up.

"Stay on that horse if you can, Arato," Aiden advised. "It's a wonder I got Carloth into the halter, so she won't be letting me get a saddle on her. Further," he grabbed Carloth's halter as Arato went to turn the horse, "be careful and don't get any more sliced up than you already are! I'll kill ya if you do."

"Ari," Eadoin said, leaning down from his saddle to kiss her on the forehead. "I'm gonna be as careful as I can. And if you were my captor," he said, grinning, "I don't think I'd mind being locked in a dungeon very much."

----------

Valar, she's playing with me! Morgai thought as he watched Neth sit down on the branch. It amused him to no end. Her change in position had allowed him to catch a glimpse of a dagger glinting in the sunlight at the back of her belt. Judging from the positioning of her hand on her hip, he gathered she knew full well how to use it, and wouldn't hesitate to use it on him if pressed.

"My condolences to you on your loss," Morgai replied, "and a pleasure to meet you, fair Neth. I'm Morgai. As to the orcs..." he shrugged. "I'm not sure why they were here. I came here with a few of my companions, and we set up camp. However, the man I follow said nothing about there being orcs involved, so when he arrived, he brought with him this large force you see here." Morgai was going to enjoy this game very much.

"I would leave this group if I could, but unfortunately, should I leave, my younger brother and sisters would be in danger of being killed in a most horrible manner. I really don't want anything to happen to them, so I have to reside here with them." He put on his sorriest face and called tears to his eyes, only to wipe them away a moment later. "Forgive me, I... I can't help it. I get upset thinking about them."

Even with his act going on, he kept a bit of his attention focused on the elleth in the tree. He hoped that she wouldn't try anything while he was distracted, but he did hope that she would try something eventually. It would get a little boring to sit around and act like they weren't enemies, which they most likely were.
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2006 06:47
Neth listened to the man's explanation, and noted wryly the tears that came to his eyes. She kept her expression blank, however, until he finished.

She twisted her legs over the branch and landed on the far side of it and stepped behind the tree momentarily, planting the dagger at her back into the bark so that she could retrieve it at a moment's notice.

She didn't believe a word of what he said. But she didn't let on to that.

She came around the tree several seconds after landing and paused for a moment, leaning against it and regarding him with a sorrowed expression, her hands behind her back as she leaned on the trunk. "You poor man. To have your family's well-being held out before you like that? What kind of a man do you work for?" She clucked her tongue and then took several steps toward him, keeping her hands behind her until she reached him. Then she drew both hands out empty and stroked his cheek with one of them as her own eyes filled with tears. "Sounds like you could use a new friend, as much as I could," she said huskily. Her hand dropped to his tunic front and her fingertips rubbed the crimson fabric against his chest and stomach as her hand drifted down, all the while her eyes were locked on his. She smiled her tender smile and then stepped back to lean against the tree once more.

So, Morgai, you are armed, she thought. My guess is better armed than I even now know. I wonder, how much steel do you have on your person?

"So, Morgai, explain something to me, if you will. You're a big, strong, smart man. Obviously the man you work for trusts you a great deal, or you would not have been so far from the camp when I first saw you, and travelling alone, no less. So how is it that someone such as yourself, who is free to wander as he pleases, has not managed to get word to someone to get his family to safety?" She smiled at him again, and this time it took a flicker of a second for the smile to reach her eyes.

In that second, the voices in her head began to scream for her to kill him.

She shook her head slightly, a barely perceptible motion, and she quickly recovered and murmured, "Do I make you nervous, Morgai? Would the man you say you work for be upset with you if he knew that there was an elleth armed with a sword and a dagger on the front of her belt standing so close to the edge of his encampment, and that that particular elleth despises orcs with every fiber of her being? Irregardless of the fact that I am not a good fighter, I think that might make him a bit jumpy." A smirk quickly flickered across her features and then was replaced by her innocent look again.

"So tell me, what were you doing so far away from camp, Morgai? I am guessing you were not visiting an Elvish haven, or searching for a way to save the family you allege you have, so I am curious. I will tell you what I was doing wandering around the area I happened to see you in, but first I would like to hear from you. Oh, and I would appreciate the truth this time. Being lied to tends to make me very angry, and I am so much more... pleasurable to be around when I am not angry."

She knew he would take the inflection as innuendo, but she didn't care. The part of her that was currently in control found Morgai even more attractive now that she was on the same level, especially now that she knew he was armed with more than simply a sword. She was beginning to wonder how long she could keep this up before one of them had the idea to either try to kill...or kiss...the other.

She had opened her mouth to say something else when suddenly a loud shriek was heard coming from the camp, a sound of someone in horrible pain, and it didn't sound like an orc. Neth's head snapped to the side for just a second and then her eyes went back to the man standing in front of her.

[Edited on 26/5/2006 by Iell-daughter-of-elves]
otterling
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2006 04:56
Hanni watched one of the two young humans step forward and begin to speak. The man seemed nervous under the un-blinking stare of his imposing captain and the stout little dwarf risked a glance up at the elf to make sure he hadn’t suddenly grown fangs or sprouted some horrible deformity that would evoke such a reaction. The face that met her gaze was still as stoic as ever, a blank slate of thin luminous alabaster, beneath which, stirred a maelstrom of anger and determination. The ice captain’s eyes were the only exit for all the irritation which seethed just below the surface and they blazed with a ferocity Hanni had never seen. Suddenly, the dwarf understood why the other man seemed so nervous. Indeed, the captain seemed right ready to kill something…a state she found he managed to maintain on a constant basis. Hanni had to repress a chuckle as she wondered if he was this angry when he slept as well. Woe is the pillow that gets in the way of this elf. A small giggle was choked down, a testament to Hanni’s short lived training as an emissary, and she instead satisfied herself with a cough and the straightening of her armor.

The human began to detail a camp site and Hanni blanched just a tad when he mentioned the approximated number of orcs which swarmed about the area. Hanni liked a good fight, but charging into this camp with the rag tag soldiers the elves had left was not her idea of a good time. A figure moved over next to Hanni and she glanced up, shielding her eyes from the afternoon sun with one thick gloved hand, to find the smith Bellas standing at her side. He looked down at her and offered a smile which Hanni was all too happy to return. The elf was not dressed in the frilly clothes that his people usually preferred, but was instead shirtless and garbed only in high boots, leather breeches, and the heavy working apron which protected his vulnerable skin from the flames of the forge. His arms held the subtle caramel browns that attested to his working shirtless near heat on a routine basis and his chest was smudged with various streaks of coal dust and soot. Overall, it was a look Hanni wished more elves would adopt and after a few moments of careful contemplation, she was sure that if he put on some more weight and grew himself a mighty beard, he might be passable as cute. Unfortunately, Hanni at this point was just glad he had his shirt off so she could be certain he was a he. These elves all looked a little too alike for her tastes and all of them favored the image of pretty young women.

As the human male was speaking and drawing the outline of the camp, the large devil horse, which had brought them all running with its terrible shrieks, was now wandering to and fro amidst the group. It slipped in and out, a massive black form flowing like a dark specter among the gathered until, at last, it chose its intended victim. With a delicate precision, it plucked the shirt of the kneeling human in its great teeth and pulled him back out of the group. No one seemed to notice this as being odd and Hanni glanced up at Bellas again to check if the elf deemed this behavior as note worthy. Her thoughts were cut short though as the horse-beast moved over toward them and attempted to go for the smith as his next chosen. As he stretched out his great neck to reach for the elf man, a lovely young woman stepped in his path, effectively cutting the animal off. She was a truly lovely thing, not that Hanni had seen an elf yet who wasn’t, and she held a note of command to her posture which set the animal back from its intended course. The beast decided instead to move around and it began to head in Hanni’s direction. She stared at it with obvious mistrust and readied her hammer in her grip. The beast sniffed at her fly-away locks and, having decided evidently that she was either edible or useful in some other way, it reached for her next. Hanni skittered back and brought her hammer up in front of her but the scuffle was short lived as the elf maid once again came to the rescue. She shooed the horse back the way it had come, much to its chagrin, and then spoke up to the captain.

"We have a member of the group who really does wish to be on his way, Captain." Being around Glyndr always left her slightly flustered. He was a very imposing Elf, to say the least. "Diablo has made it quite clear he wishes to be off at once, and from what I know of him, I would assume it is because there is - or will be - great harm coming to Narmion and Rolan.

Hanni stared at the elf maid incredulously. Somehow this woman she had never met already knew her name. Did everyone know her name now? What secretive rumor mill did these thin little tree hugging elves have? Furthermore, Hanni was a bit dubious that the beast-horse was capable of such intelligence as the elf woman seemed to think, though it seemed to certainly be impatient to be on its way. The ice captain finally spoke up.

“Yes ,” Glyndr turned his gaze to Ari, “ The animal is keen to be off, yet I think we must at least plan our moves, and carefully”
Ever the Captain, Glyndr was cautious. He trusted nothing to luck.
He nodded a bow to Ari , “ I shall do all within my power to bring them home safely, you need not fear on that account”.

He looked to each of those whom the horse had gone after in turn and then, his decision made he spoke once more, “ No ,” Glyndr replied to Ari as his ice bright eyes scanned those chosen, “I do not need to modify the choice, Save, that I ask if any of those chosen does not wish to go, then he says so now”.

Hanni looked between the captain and the dark monstrosity which had apparently chosen her to go along. She raised her chin and set her bristly sideburns to twitching in the bravest and most intimidating manner she could muster before stating clearly, “I doubt you’ll find a coward here, Master Elf. Aye, I’ll come with ye. But I’ll not take orders from a horse so you’ll have to speak up if you have a plan.” Hanni had firmly decided she would not take orders from a beast of burden, especially one she was convinced had spewed forth from some forgotten abyss. The captain made his way to the animal’s side and he spoke to it as if addressing a person.

Elves were decidedly strange.

The captain picked out a soldier from the gathered crowd and let him know, in no uncertain terms, that a doom far worse than orcs awaited him should the soldier fail in his duties during the captain’s absence. Then, the captain headed back toward the woman who had been clinging to his arm during the meeting. She stood, frail and shining in the sunlight and Hanni likened her to a thin golden thread shivering in the breeze. Should the captain fall in battle, she feared that thread would break. The elf maid looked upon her ice captain and there passed between them unspoken words before he stole one last kiss and then mounted into the saddle of his warhorse. The stable boy who had led the horse back out in full livery now handed the captain the reigns of another mare and Hanni had the sinking realization that they were going to ride out to the camp. The chosen humans mounted up onto their horses and Hanni shuffled over, hammer still at the ready, stopping near the ring of mounts. The only ones not on a horse at this point were Bellas and herself. Hanni wondered if the smith would also mount onto a horse, or chose the more sensible option and just walk.

The second round of screaming finally subsided, leaving the forests echoing with the last fading cries of the elf captive. The boy had long since given over to darkness once more and Di’shan had turned at last to Narmion for the information he wanted. With names and a scant bit of valuable knowledge in hand, Di’shan stepped once more from his tent. From the foul smell that lingered just to the left of his lodging, Di’shan could well guess that one of the orc guards had vomited during this last session. It stood on shaky legs and visibly flinched when Di’shan threw back the tent flap, its skin going a shade more olive than was normal. The other orc was busy suppressing a chuckle at his companion’s discomfort though he straightened and went silent at Di’shan’s appearance. Di’shan moved over to his basin again and once more he cleaned his arms and hands of the crimson marks which speckled his skin. One of the many orcs at Ondet’s command came scurrying over then, its head lowered in respect. It’s gurgled through a layer of mucus as it finally spoke to the Harad man, “The Lord wants to speak with you. He said it’s of great importance.” Di’shan sneered at the foul beast and calmly reached for a towel with which to dry himself.

“Tell Lord Ondet that I am almost finished with the prisoners and I will be with him shortly,” Di’shan drawled before turning back to his tent, tossing his towel over one shoulder as he moved.

“He says it’s about Dirk,” a sly smile crept onto the twisted face of the orc messenger; in this short moment, the vile thing knew it had caught the torturer’s attention. The steady stride of Di’shan’s boots faltered and he spun in place with one fluid motion, his attention now fixed on the foul little abomination still bent over before him. He stood silent for a moment watching the orc and trying to decide how much truth there was to its words. If Dirk had finally over stepped his bounds, then surely Ondet was sending him forth for more fun. What wonderful thing had Di’shan done to deserve such a windfall? He had been handed an elf, a boy, and a magnificent horse, now he was being offered Dirk’s family as well. A truly ecstatic grin began to form on Di’shan’s face as all the many dreams he’d had about what awaited Dirk’s children filtered back to his mind. Di’shan turned and poked his head into the tent for just a moment. “I’m afraid our little session will have to be put on hold for the time being. I have other business to attend,” he stated mockingly to the limp and shivering form of Narmion, “Now don’t go anywhere.”

Di’shan pulled back and looked at the two orcs who were standing guard, his voice was smooth and rich, like melted chocolate as he spoke, “Watch them carefully, I would be most upset if they aren’t here when I get back.” Leaving two visibly stiff and nervous forms in his wake, Di’shan moved off toward Ondet’s tent, whistling softly as he went. The orc messenger was loping along in front of him, leading the way despite the fact that Di’shan knew full well where to go.

The Harad man could not have been happier.
<< First23456Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email