Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Ever After (Keeper!)
on: May 06, 2006 02:10
(OOC: Yay! My first post! I do have permission from elflyn to take the actions with Sylstar and to speak for Glyndr at the end.)

A road weary elleth rode slowly into the courtyard. She was armed and dressed for battle, and there were numerous black stains on her clothes. Orc blood. She wore her hair in a single long braid down her back, and warrior braids at the temples, and her blue eyes took in everything.

She slid from her horse's back outside the stables, and one of the stable boys gaped when he saw her. "Nethraueth!"

The elleth smiled at him and said, "Suilad, Conuir." She waited as he pulled open a stall for Berior, her horse. She had just finished wiping down the horse's flanks when suddenly one of the stablehands cried out in fear.

Nethraueth turned to see a cluster of the stablehands gathered around the boy who was attempting to remove the lead from a horse that was stamping and snapping his teeth. She went over and pushed through the crowd. She reached for the horse's head and one of the boys said, "Watch out! He is a demon horse!"

"Oh, he is, is he? And whose horse might he be?" she inquired, never turning from the horse, just looking at the beast with tenderness in her eyes.

"He belongs to Captain Glyndr. His name is Sylstar."

She smiled and said softly, "Suilad, Sylstar, bain roch o Glyndr." She placed her hand gently on the horse's nose, and slowly began stroking it. As the stable boys watched in amazement, the horse stopped all hostile movement and stood there submissively as Nethraueth cooed softly to him in Sindarin and slowly removed the lead rope from him.

She handed the lead to one of the boys and said softly, "All of you, back slowly away and make not a sound as you do so. You make poor Sylstar nervous."

Nethraueth slowly unlatched the stall and slipped inside with the massive animal, continuing to murmur soft words to the horse as she did so.

"Sylstar, beleg roch. Mîl i man le baur." Nethraueth slowly picked up a grooming brush and began lightly brushing Sylstar. The horse nickered softly and turned its head, rubbing against her arm, seeking more strokes on his nose. She giggled and laid her hand on his nose again, continuing to brush Sylstar at the same time. She was so engrossed in what she was doing, she did not hear the stable door open up until a cold voice said, "Who are you and what are you doing near my horse?"

*Translations*
"Suilad, Sylstar, bain roch o Glyndr." -"Greetings, Sylstar, beautiful horse of Glyndr."
"Sylstar, beleg roch. Mîl i man le baur." -"Sylstar, mighty horse. Affection is what you need."
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2006 04:11
A ray of light suddenly shattered Glyndr’s darkness in a myriad of rainbow colours.
Lalaith was there, running towards him.

She was real. Not a bright image in his thoughts any longer.

Glyndr could feel her warmth so close as he helped him towards their chambers. He said nothing yet; afraid that he would break the spell, and all would return to darkness again.

For once he did not argue when she told him to remove what little armour he wore, Always trading protection for the freedom of movement, Glyndr would never wear full battledress.

The evil-tempered Captain even resisted the urge to curse again as she helped him take off his tunic. His back felt as if a thousand orc daggers were embedded in his spine.
He did squeak when she stitched the wound across his stomach.

Glyndr knew that he had to meet Arato at the watchroom. He knew he had to write reports, and make contingency plans for the protection of Imladris.

But.

He did not want to move, he almost purred as Lalaith’s skillfull hands eased the wrenched , aching muscles in his back.

“Arato , battle plans and reports will have to wait a while longer” Glyndr smiled as he pulled his wife into a passionate embrace. His pain stricken back forgotten as he kissed her with as much passion.

It was a very reluctant Captain that a while later, stood at the door with Lalaith.
“I have a few things I must attend to at the watchroom”, he said as he kissed her forehead softly.
“And I must go to Sylstar, I am concerned for the horse, and just as concerned for the stable lads, the animal will only be safe if I am there to tend him”

Glyndr held her face gently in his hands, and kissed her again, “ I will not be long. I want to share whatever time I have with you, as it should be”.

The Captain made his way slowly to the watchroom. All he wanted to do was go back to his wife. He needed her company, and he needed rest.

He kicked open the door to his office, and glared balefully at the pile of parchment on the desk.
The Elf sat down carefully, and took up a quill.

He stared at the blank sheet of parchment before him. How could he write a report?

His head was still full of the screams and noise of battle. Of death.
Arato’s arrival snapped him out of his thoughts.

“Please sit Arato “ Glyndr turned to face the man,”I should not have demanded you come here so soon. You need time to recover”.

The Captain looked closely at the man, intense blue eyes fixed on his. “ I shall come straight to the point. The enemy numbers are growing , I am sure of that. There is the ever present danger of a further attack on Imladris”

Glyndr paused, and stood slowly, “ I need someone who I can trust ,to take the psition of my second in command”.

The Captain looked directly atArato, “I have watched you in battle, I know you well enough, I feel that you have the qualities for that position. Do not answer me straight away; it is an important, life changing decision. Let me know as soon as you are decided”.

Glyndr walked back towards the door, “ Get some rest, whatever you decide, I shall still need your sword in the Elven ranks”.

The Captain stood, a raven apparition in the stable doorway, “Who are you, and what are you doing near my horse?”

Who was this elleth who dared to even get near, let alone touch his precious warhorse.

“I said, who are you?” the apparition swept towards her, He fixed her with an intense ice stare.
“No one touches my stallion without my permission, or without me in attendance”.

Glyndr swept past her , he leant on Sylstar’s broad back and regarded her with a cold derision, yet with a regard and respect he kept hidden.

The female had not been attacked by his evil-tempered stallion, in fact the animal seemed content.

“The animal is a deadly killer, only I can handle him safely . How is it that you are able to get within feet of the demonic creature without having your throat torn out or trampled to death?”

Glyndr was curious. He had never seen the stallion look so calm with any one other than himself before.

“Well elleth, answer my questions” , he demanded.

Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2006 07:40
“Please sit Arato “ Glyndr turned to face the man,”I should not have demanded you come here so soon. You need time to recover."

"Oh, please, Captain," Arato replied, "a few minutes out of my recovery time won't hurt me too much. Besides, the wound isn't that bad, it's merely inconvienient."

The Captain looked closely at the man, intense blue eyes fixed on his. “I shall come straight to the point. The enemy numbers are growing, I am sure of that. There is the ever present danger of a further attack on Imladris”

Glyndr paused, and stood slowly, “ I need someone who I can trust ,to take the psition of my second in command.”

The Captain looked directly at Arato, “I have watched you in battle, I know you well enough, I feel that you have the qualities for that position. Do not answer me straight away; it is an important, life changing decision. Let me know as soon as you are decided.”

Glyndr walked back towards the door, “ Get some rest, whatever you decide, I shall still need your sword in the Elven ranks.”

"I..." Arato opened his mouth as Glyndr moved towards the door. He was speechless. Him, Glyndr's second? Before he could say anything futher, Glyndr had left the watchroom, and Arato was alone. The man dropped his gaze to his hands, which rested on the arms of the chair he was in.

"Wouldn't an elf be better suited to this than me?" he wondered aloud in the silence. "What can I do that an elf can't? Nothing." Sighing, he leaned to the left, resting his chin in the cup of his hand. "Why me?"

A long while later, Arato's stomach growled, reminding him that he hadn't eaten since the morning meal. He hadn't been hungry at noontime, and hadn't had the chance to eat anything on the battle field. Rising, he groaned as his leg gave a twinge of protest at being moved. Using the walls for support, he limped slowly towards the kitchen, where he might be able to wheedle himself a small morsel to eat.

Nearing the kitchen, however, his appitite deserted him. He sat on a bench in the hallway and sighed. What would he do? He knew he didn't have to decide straightaway, but the decision was going to bother him until he made up his mind. How would his brothers react to him running off on patrol all the time? How would the other elves in Glyndr's patrol react to having a human have more power than they did? What were the benefits of him taking the position?

----------

Eadoin had been right. By the time he had arrived back in the armory, there were several new piles of armor to be repaired sitting around. Sighing, he stepped carefully around them and made his way back to the corner where he had been working, taking a seat. The elf there looked at him, sighed, and went back to his work.

"So much to do," the elf muttered to him as the human bent to pick up the bow he had been working on before the patrol had returned and disrupted his routine.

"How much needs repair now?" he asked as he strung the bow and tested the tension on the bowstring before removing the string and setting the bow aside.

"About the same amount as when you came in here earlier," the elf replied. Eadoin groaned and reached for another bow, noting absently that this one was beyond repair. He tossed that one away and reached for another.

"More work for us," the human grumbled.

----------

Although he had already eaten and probably should be sleeping, since he was up before dawn most mornings, Morgai found that he couldn't sleep. There was nothing for him to worry about, however; the prisoners were with Di'shan, and the horse seemed to be under control, at least for the moment. The beast had charged at Ondet, but had stopped short in confusion.

Why couldn't he sleep? There was nothing to fear, except perhaps his comrades. Even then, he hadn't much to worry about. If someone got too close to his tent, Mordome would warn him. If not, he had set up several alarms around his tent, just in case his primary warning was somehow disrupted. He rolled onto his side. Perhaps...? Morgai flopped back onto his back with a chuckle and a smirk at the material of his tent. It was Arato.

He was filled with anticpation towards facing his brother in the near future. It would be even better than their interactions as children, because now Arato could fight back. How would Arato react to seeing him again, Morgai wondered. Would he be afraid, or would he be filled with rage?

"Ah, my wayward brother, you didn't think that you could get away from me that easily, did you?" Morgai asked, sitting up and letting the blankets pool in his lap. He reached for his tunic and put it on, flinging the blankets aside and getting to his feet. He took his sword from where it lay next to him, put on his boots, and stepped out into the camp.

There had to be someone awake at this time, someone who wouldn't be missed if he died. Morgai was itching to have blood on his hands again, after having gone so long without it. He spotted movement a few feet away and came across one of the other men in their camp. The man stared back at Morgai warily, hand resting on the hilt of his sword. Morgai smirked at him.

"Perhaps a little sparring would be in order," he said quietly, coming closer. "To the death, of course. Should you win, you should gain my position." The last was, of course, a lie. Should Morgai lose, Delvan would gain all the power. But his opponent didn't need to know that. The other man nodded and rose to his feet, unsheathing his sword and getting ready to fight Ondet's second in command.

Moments later, the young man gave a gurgle as his throat was slit and his lifeblood began to drown him. Morgai looked at his hands, stained bright red with blood, and watched his opponent die with a smirk. He crouched down next to the young man.

"Did you really think you could beat me?" he asked mockingly, running a hand across the man's cheek, smearing blood all over the place. When he got to his feet, he turned to one of the man's companions. "Get rid of him," Morgai commanded, turning back to his own tent, thrumming with energy. It felt good to be in power.

((I know that didn't do too much, but I really don't know what to do with Morgai. Sorry.))
otterling
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2006 08:04
Five charges.

There had been five separate re-groupings as Glydr, steely-eyed and determined, offered himself up as a symbol of hope to the tattered few who remained to defend the borders of Rivendell. The dark haired captain had ridden into battle seemingly without fear, and always his people, worn and bloodied, gathered a strength they did not realize the possessed and followed their leader back into the fray. Some went to their deaths, others managed to hold their ground against the on-slaught. Hanni was simply trying to keep up. For the third time in less than half an hour, the stout warrior cursed the very word “horse” as she raced to keep up with the cavalry. No sooner would she reach the enemy lines and get in a few good swings than the call to re-group would come and she would find herself scrambling to get back with the rest of the group. She would make it about half way to the cavalry line and then the charge would repeat, leaving Hanni spinning back around to face the enemy again.

After the third charge, Hanni stood panting between the two lines, glaring down the large snorting beasts as their riders reined them in for the next wave. With a huff and a wave of her hand, Hanni whirled back around and marched determinedly toward the enemy front as the orcs looked on, vapid confused expressions evident on their faces. The dwarf was apparently choosing not to re-group with the others, rather she was simply walking in a calm disgruntled manner toward the enemy. The next wave of cavalry raced past her again and Hanni decided that she would miss most of the battle if she spent it trying to keep up with the riders, whose speed and agility were far greater than her own. Her jaw set, Hanni wiped a bit of the grime and gore from her hammer’s handle onto the scrap of jerkin that poked out from under her massive breast plate. The leather wrapped grip of her weapon had become slick with blood and gripping it firmly was becoming more difficult with each passing moment. Hanni squeezed her knuckles a little tighter around the metal, reassuring herself with its solidity and strength that she was a dwarf, one of the proud people whose prowess in battle was well known and well celebrated; she would not go down easily to anything as lowly as an orc.

Thud, crunch, crack. Over and over, Hanni swung her hammer, beating out a rhythm to the deaths of Rivendell’s foes; it was a song that dulled her senses and removed time from her world with each repetitive spray of red and black. The group may have pulled back again, another charge and then another, but Hanni only registered swells in the number of enemies she was left facing. The ringing voice of Glyndr would echo from somewhere above her head signaling a sudden pressing of orcs as the other targets moved out of range to re-group but to Hanni, his voice was little more than a distant ringing bell. His calls to fall back were drowned out as the songs of her forefathers began to fill her mind until, at last, it thrummed in time to the pounding of her hammer. It was only when Hanni found herself chasing after the retreating back of her enemy that reality and time came back to her, and with it a flood of pain. She slowed in her pursuit and finally came to a stumbling halt as the last of the orcs disappeared into the brush. Hanni turned and faced the new allies she had just inadvertently gained. The horses stood on shaking legs, blood flecked foam on their reins and a sweat caked over their heaving sides. The riders themselves did not look much better.

Hanni could only stand and watch impassively as the remaining troops stumbled among the fallen, crying out in anguish as friends were found slain. Hanni glanced down to her right and saw a slender pale hand sticking out at an odd angle from beneath the pock-marked armor of an orc. She moved over and roughly shoved the creature off to one side, revealing beneath it the wide vacant stare of a young elf man. One of the brave captain’s troops. How many would miss this young warrior? Who would cry bitter tears for his fall? Hanni did not even know his name but she reached out her thick fingers and ever so gently closed his eyes for the last time. Her gaze rose up and fell upon the young elf maid who she had aided. The poor girl looked like she was in utter shock and Hanni knew the feeling well. Her thoughts were interrupted by the call of Glyndr.

“We have victory!” Glyndr shouted the tiredness and relief, evident in his voice.

“Well fought . Regroup, but take caution, all those devils that seem dead, may not be as dead as you believe”. he added with a curse.

Hanni was on her feet before she knew it as an orc reached up to take down the captain but her fear was un-necessary as he cut the beast a mighty blow. Its head rolled off into the bushes and Hanni released the breath she had not realized she was holding. The captain announced their return to Rivendell and then rode among the dead, calling several names and receiving no answer. Hanni could only assume they were lost to battle. There would be many names called tonight and many broken hearts that would go un-answered. Hanni slowly shuffled toward where Istale was sitting astride her horse when the Captain’s voice rang out once more. Hazel eyes met ice blue as she turned to meet the Captain’s gaze.

“Dwarf” he called to Hanni, his icicle sharp gaze fixed on her, “ I thank you for your much needed assistance, Will you ride with us to Imladris?”

Hanni tried to think of all the myriad speeches she had prepared in her head over the course of her journey, but all she could manage was a mute nod. Not much of a proper greeting for an emissary from the dwarven kingdom but considering the circumstances and the detached politeness in the captain’s voice, Hanni doubted he’d have the patience for any formal introductions and proclamations of friendship she could possibly offer at that moment.

The Captain frowned slightly, “Do Dwarves ride horses?”
He looked towards a riderless strawberry roan mare. “If they do, take her, she should suit you well enough.

Hanni stopped her shuffling walk and cast a wary eye on the worn shivering mare. The animal looked back at her with intelligent eyes and both of them seemed to come to the same conclusion, the captain had lost his mind. The mare looked none too happy at the thought of a dwarf climbing astride her and Hanni was sure she’d rather face another horde of orcs than try to ride atop the skittish creature who was even now eyeing her with a measure of distrust. Wordlessly, Hanni turned back to Glyndr and raised one bushy eyebrow. Her gaze drifted back and forth between the horse and the captain, obviously trying to decide how best to decline to offer without offending the elf. “My legs work well enough,” she grumbled in her deep rolling voice, “I’ll…uh…walk.” With that, Hanni shuffled off towards the few riders who sat waiting for their leader to guide them home. The worn and weary party ambled back along the road in relative silence and the quiet conversation of the captain and a young human man next to him filtered back to where Hanni was shuffling along. Hanni glanced up several times at the young elf maid she had met, her first ever time seeing an elf, and a little part of her that she would deny vehemently to any who asked was genuinely worried for the frail looking thing. The girl looked so utterly depleted of energy that she was slumped a bit in her saddle, her long hair hanging in stained tendrils around her face. Hanni half worried she’d fall right out of her seat.

The road narrowed as the party crossed a cobblestone bridge and then widened just a bit as the gates of the courtyard came into view. As soon as the first horses loped into the yard, the quiet cries of those who remained behind began, sending the word through the besieged city that her heroes had returned. So very few. It was a phrase that was murmured under many breaths as Hanni made her way into the open yard with the others and several odd stares were sent her direction as she followed along aimlessly with the others. A rush of activity was set off as the elves began to aid the wounded, guiding those who needed the support to the healer’s wing where they would find aid and rest at long last. The young man Glyndr had been speaking with was met by two others who bore a familial resemblance to each other. Hanni could guess easily enough that they were most likely brothers, though she could only guess at thier relationship to the young man. Glyndr, himself, was met by a beautiful young elf woman whose fear and concern over the leader was more than just that of a follower for her captain. The woman caressed his handsome face with long delicate fingers and offered him soft kisses before escorting him away out of sight.

For the next few moments, the courtyard began to empty and the horses were led away to be tended. Hanni stood looking around, a bit lost in the middle of it all. Should she try to find a dining hall? Her growling stomach assured her that this would be the best course of action but Hanni stamped down on her more base instincts and reminded herself that she was a guest…of sorts, in this city and she had not been told where to go or who to talk to. ‘I should seek out their leader and get a full idea of what’s happening,’ she mused. Her mission had seemed simple enough at first, find the elves, determine their current state of affairs and decide if they needed aid. If so, come back and tell the King so he can send re-enforcements. Now that she was here it was beyond obvious that the elves were under heavy attack and could use help more than anyone seemed willing to admit. So pressed were her new hosts that the normally stand-offish elves had not even paid her much heed as they desperately tried to mend the wounds they had just been dealt. Hanni had been warned that she would receive a lot of sneers and patronizing comments when she arrived, but she found neither. What she found were women holding their children and weeping openly for fathers and husbands who would never come home.

Hanni wandered about for a few moments until finally deciding on a low ornate bench which had been carved right into the side of a building. She wasn’t sure where else to go for the moment so she settled for trying to asses her own injuries while she waited. A thick rivulet of blood was running down one leg and Hanni grumbled a few choice Dwarven phrases as she poked at it. A piece of armor from a fallen orc had rammed into her knee at some point and neatly punctured a hole on the left side. Hanni straightened back up with a groan and began fiddling with the straps on her chest plate. The metal weighed over fifty pounds and her aching shoulders were reminding her that they had borne the brunt of many blows. As her aching fingers fumbled over the thick leather which pinned the metal to her body, Hanni heard the light footfalls of someone approaching her. She glanced up and found herself face to face with the young elf maid she had saved in the battle.

“Excuse me…?” she paused, tentative. Her teachers had always said her accent was simply terrible, and she wondered if the dwarf was actually going to understand a word of what she wanted to say. Her face grew warm, she could feel herself coloring up under all the dirt. The rest of the sentence came out in a blurted rush, her tongue seeking to wrap itself around sounds it had not been forced to make for quite some time already, her cheeks growing steadily pinker as she realized just how awkward, how clumsy she must sound in this foreign language. “I only wish to offer my heartfelt gratitude for your help today; and may I know who I have the honor of making an acquaintance with?”

Hanni’s fingers came to a grinding halt as this frail dirty creature before her tried her best to speak the dwarven tongue. The first phrase, while accented horribly, was at least understandable but the rest of what was said seemed to descend into chaos as the flustered elf managed to mutilate the ages old tongue of Hannalisa’s people. Hanni should have been insulted. She should have been irritated that someone would botch her people’s proud language that badly. She should have been doing anything else but what she was, which, at that moment, was trying to stifle the growing laughter that was threatening to burst free. Gore still clung to them both and Hanni had witnessed a tragedy on the field like she had never seen before, yet at this moment she was choking down her mirth at watching the beautiful young woman, whose own tongue was as flowing as a river, while she tried to hack out the rough syllables of the mountain people. As Hanni listened, a low rumble began to form from within her deep chest, it grew until her shoulders began to bob softly and finally it came out from her lips unbidden as a deep chuckle.

Not wanting to offend her new hosts, Hanni managed a few words between chuckles. “You either just thanked me for my aid or told me that my mother is very manly….either way, I thank you.” Hanni grinned openly now at the young woman before her and let the chuckle work its way out of her system. “As for who I am, and I believe that was what you asked seeing as I don’t own any chickens, my name is Hannalisa, daughter of Borlin. And you are?” Hanni smiled pleasantly up at Istale.

((OOC: I'm sorry I took so long to post and I'm afraid Di'shan will have to wait till next time. I'll get back to the torture and torment soon. ))

[Edited on 8/5/2006 by otterling]
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2006 10:06
OOc// Chickens??? lol, Otterling, that exchange was hilarious. I'm still laughing. I blame all typos present in my next post on the fact that I'm laughing so hard I may fall out of my chair.

She heard the whispers throughout the whole of Imladris. They're gone...gone...gone... The words were chasing her, viciously scolding her for sending out the Captain with his recruits, greener than spring wood. The mournful looks on the faces of the families of the dead alone could have broken her heart, but there was more. Three missing - not dead, but perhaps held to a fate to which death was preferable. Captured, they were captured.

Arianna was running, her feet finding the paths of the Elven sanctuary on their own without the aid of her eyes, which was all as well, seeing as how she was half blinded by unshed tears. The armoury, that's where she was headed. She flung the doors open and to the startlement of all those there working dropped down on her knees next to Eadoin and heartbrokenly between sobs told him the whole of what had happened on the patrol.

"T-t-they all w-went out and m-m-most of t-them c-came b-b-back, but, Eadoin - Rolan! H-he, Glyndr s-said he w-was c-c-captured by t-the orcs, and Narmion and Diablo too!" Her voice was steadily rising in pitch and volume as she related the deaths of the Elves that had gone with Glyndr. All the more loss was felt by those who heard her words for most of those that had died were, mostly, barely into their fifth century of life. None of them were older than a millenium...

Silently the Elves there mourned, tears glistening like diamonds on their cheeks in the dim light shining in from the still open doors. Ari stopped trying to talk and let herself shake with silent sobs, tears pouring like torrents out of her own eyes. They depended on me, she though miserably. They thought I knew what I was doing, and I sent them off to die. Glyndr, he tried to warn me, but I was too preoccupied to listen. Why?

"How is your head?"

Rolan looked up at Narmion's face in surprise. He hadn't noticed that the Elf was awake. "'S'alright, I guess," he said softly. He was speaking quietly because he didn't want to alert anyone to them being awake, but mostly because talking any louder than a whisper set his head to pounding like it was trying to shred itself to pieces. "Jest hurts like nothin' ye'ver felt," he added when Narmion's concerned look refused to become less worried. "I'm all right. 'Cept for the leather bindin' me, I'd say I'm better off'en in the streets." He managed a weak smile at the Elf. "We're gonna be fine."

Did I say 'we're gonna be fine'? More like'n to 'we're gonna be half-fried, three-quarters drowneded an' chicken liver baked. That's got to've been the worstest thing I've ever gone through...

He hurt everywhere. But at least he hadn't given away anything really important. Not yet, anyway. He winced as he moved to a more comfortable position. No, not comfortable. Jest less likely t' rip me arm outta tha socket. Closing his eyes tightly, Rolan begged whatever gods were listening to let him fall into oblivion for now. It would feel better than this, at least...

Dirk rolled over in his tent, listening to the sounds outside. It was nighttime, but the normal sounds of the forest never really seemed to be around. Most likely it was the orcs who scared off the wildlife for miles around; the humans weren't that stupid and to Dirk's knowledge, Ondet never left the camp. Restlessly, the man twisted over to his side. Well, to heck with it. He couldn't sleep so he might as well get up and go riding for a time. It would clear his mind. So he got up and opened his tent flap, walked out and took the shortest route from his tent to the place where all the horses were kept.

Ondet had tied the big stallion to the place before his tent so it was out of the question to ride him (not that Dirk really wanted to anyway, after the single-minded way he'd cut up an orc that had gotten too close to him just this morning), but there were other mounts here. Dirk looked them over carefully, taking his time to select a horse that wasn't going to give him much trouble but that also wasn't going to loaf around. A gentle gray mare fit the ticket nicely and he untied her from the string and led her off a little bit before vaulting onto her bare back. She didn't even shy, just waited until he gave her a gentle signal to move off onto a game trail in the woods.

As she calmly took to the trail, Dirk settled himself on her back and began to let his thoughts drift. Invariably, they wandered back to his family in Rohan. Did they know what had happened to him? Did his wife and children think him dead? Was it possible for him to go back to them? That last question he cut off brutally. He knew better than anyone that to go back was to set his lovely wife and children at the mercy of that cruel-beyond-words Di'shan. Absently Dirk patted the mare's neck and after a short time of mourning the loss of his family let his thoughts turn to other matters. They started down the trail of that boy and his strange horse, so Dirk thought on that for a while and then on other things and then the sun was rising and it was time to return to camp.

Camp was bustiling with activity when he returned and he felt slightly lost in it. After re-tying the mare to the string of horses, he wandered aimlessly for a bit before spotting Di'shan. He didn't want to see the man at all, so began to slip off, but didn't quite get away. Wincing at hearing his name, Dirk stopped, turned and contrived to look exceedingly bored and slightly agitated. Maybe this would be a trivial exchange.
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2006 11:51
"My name is Nethraueth." The honey-haired elf's blue eyes flickered over the Captain coldly as he approached her. "How is it that I come to stand so close to Sylstar, you ask? Why, because he let me."

She lightly stroked the stallion's nose and the horse nickered appreciatively at her, turning his head and manuevering himself closer to her. She laughed, a sound like soft bells, and she softly said, "Such a good horse."

She looked at Glyndr and said, "The stable boys were trying to remove his lead, and he was attacking them. I merely took matters into my own hands and began to speak to him. The next thing I knew, he was allowing me to not only remove his lead, but to stand in the stall and brush him. He is a precious and fine animal."

She patted Sylstar and lifted the latch to step out of the stall, and the horse lightly grabbed her tunic in his teeth, refusing to allow her to leave the stall.

Nethraueth looked at Glyndr and shrugged, then ducked under Sylstar's head and began brushing his other side as she talked. "I grew up in Imladris. My brothers and I went away to fight for some smaller villages. The same day I learned of Lord Elrond's death and the blinding of Elladan, both of my brothers were killed in battle. I have returned here, and along the way, heard stories of a mighty and fearless Captain Glyndr. That, I presume, would be you." She turned and looked him in the eyes, not even flinching. "I wish to pledge my sword, my daggers, my bow, my very soul, to serving you, if you will have me."
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2006 12:44
"Nethraueth" Glyndr echoed her name.
"He let you?" the Captain slid his arm from the horse's back, and stepped closer to her.

"Yes, a very good horse", he snapped, "I see you appreciate and understand how a highly trained warhorse thinks",

The Captain's cold , ice frost gaze never left the Elleth.

She was a difficult one to place. Glyndr had years of experience in assessing warriors, She spoke and acted like one, yet, she seemed different somehow.

The Elf Captain eyed her with the same arrogant stare," Yes, I am Glyndr, Captain of the..." he paused..there was no Elite guard .

"I am Captain Glyndr" he continued, "And yes".

Glyndr's ice blue gaze never faltered, " Be you elleth or not, I acccept your pledge, Tomorrow, we train in earnest..be at the watchroom at ten".

Glyndr did not move, his stare became stronger," Nethraueth, tell me of your true past".
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2006 01:09
The elleth's eyes remained locked with the icy stare of the Captain. "My true past? In truth, I have fought more battles in my life than my brothers did combined. I learned early to give no quarter and ask for none. I have bled for Imladris, for Lord Elrond, for his sons, and I will continue to do so until I no longer draw breath." She set the brush down, patted Sylstar one more time, and whispered softly in the horse's ear, never once looking away from the steady glare of the Captain.

Sylstar stepped back and allowed her to exit the stall, and she patted his nose.

"Anything else you want to know about me, Captain, you will have to find out about me through another means. Perhaps a sparring challenge. For every blow you land, I have to tell you something about me. For every blow I land, you have to return the favor." Nethraueth paused and said, "Since I am not officially yous yet, I will now take my leave." She smirked at him, and said, "Tomorrow at 10 at the watchroom. I will be there." She turned on her heel, finally breaking he contact between them and marching from the stable.

Nethraueth went immediately to her home near the heart of Imladris, bathed and changed her clothes into a flowing dress, and let her hair down. It fell in soft waves and curls over her shoulders and she smiled at her reflection in the glass.

She made her way to Elrohir's door, knocking softly.

It was opened and the remaining sighted son of Elrond gasped when he saw her. "Where are...?" He had intended to inquire after her brothers, but at the look on her face he stopped.

"Where is he?"

Elrohir led her to Elladan's side, and when she saw him, he countenance crumbled and she began to sob. Elladan held his arms out to her and said, "Nethraueth, it is good to have you home."

She found comfort in the blind ellon's arms as she sobbed out all her pain and sadness.

[Edited on 8/5/2006 by Iell-daughter-of-elves]
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2006 12:00
[OOC: *rolls all over the floor laughing* Hilarious, otterling!]

She had not felt quite so mortified since… since… Istalë struggled to find another time she had ever been embarrassed in such a way, and then quickly reached the consensus that this degree of utter terrible mortification was indeed a first. Her grey-green eyes widened imperceptibly, palms going to burning cheeks before she ran her fingers through already very mussed-up hair.

The stout little figure before her was starting to shake. Istalë was getting very, very worried. She just *knew* she had said something terribly wrong, and the dwarf was bound to get all offended and…

… Was laughing?

There was no mistaking it. What was visible of the dwarf’s bright little eyes from beneath the bushy beard and the helmet showed a face crinkling up in utter mirth, and then a low, deep rumble that could possibly be interpreted as a chuckle sounded out.

“You either just thanked me for my aid or told me that my mother is very manly….either way, I thank you.” Hanni grinned openly now at the young woman before her and let the chuckle work its way out of her system. “As for who I am, and I believe that was what you asked seeing as I don’t own any chickens, my name is Hannalisa, daughter of Borlin. And you are?” Hanni smiled pleasantly up at Istale.

A noise akin to a whimper escaped the elleth as she backed up against the pillar, the enourmity and surrealism of the situation getting to her, and then she, too, sank onto the floor giggling helplessly in spite of everything, arms wrapped around her sides as she attempted to stem her laughter. She was dirty, grimy, and in bad need of a wash, she had just been involved in the most hopeless, most desperate fight of her life, she had seen more death and destruction in one morning than ever before in her relatively long life, seen friends and comrades felled like young saplings by some of the vilest, most repulsive creatures ever to exist on the face of this good earth… and she had just told this dwarf that her mother was a very manly creature and promptly and totally unrelatedly asked whether her new acquaintance owned any chickens.

It just did not seem real.

An eternity passed before she once more regained her composure and hauled herself upright, and it was then she decided that the strange conversation was one best continued in the common tongue. Istalë dipped the best curtsey she could in the given circumstances, spreading the thin, dusty, and bloodied riding skirts with mock courtliness, and still biting her lower lip occasionally to stop the little fits of laughter that threatened to make themselves heard.

“I am Istalë, and I do apologise if what I said was just absolutely dreadful… Dear Valar… I knew I should not have tried to pull off anything like that, not after what happened with the last group of dwarves I spoke to… There had to be a reason I was kept away from all other visiting dwarvish emissaries afterwards…”

This Hannalisa’s grin was of as gigantic proportions as her hair, and very infectious too. Istalë found herself taken by another bout of giggling before she finally pulled herself together and realised that her filthy, aching body was crying out for a bath “Now!” and Hannalisa would probably need the same.

“Gracious me – you must think we are such dreadful hosts! I am afraid you chose a very inopportune time to grace us with your presence even though your entrance was very timely indeed… There are guest quarters in the wing where my rooms are; I believe you will want to wash up.”

She led the way into the cool entrance hall of the Last Homely House, dark and quiet after the hustle and bustle in the courtyard, with the high, arched vault of a roof holding off the worst of the glaring afternoon sun, allowing only streams of liquid gold to fall from tall windows of stained glass and slitted openings shadowed by verdant foliage across the marbled floor in molten streaks, temporarily illuminating anyone who stepped across these stripes on the way to the stairs and passageways at the other end.

Down a gently sloping corridor, open on one side to a short drop into the gardens of Imladris – now sadly depleted even though they retained last vestiges of their former glory as if in defiance of the shadow that threatened to overtake their lives at any second – and finally a left turn following the cut of the terraces the buildings had been constructed on. This was the quieter side of the house, slightly removed from the kitchens and common halls where most activity took place, and was located conveniently beside what had once been the library of Imladris. For many of those whose daily lives had once revolved around the library and its associated tasks, this was home.

[Edited on 8/5/2006 by Sirithros_Lirenel]
otterling
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2006 04:59
((OOC: Ok, here's another part of the whole Di'shan and such creepiness, please let me know if this needs to be changed or is too graphic. I tried to keep it tame. :/ I also apologise if this isn't as well written as some of the others...I'm tired and this isn't coming out quite right all the time. :/ ))

The solemn still halls of Rivendell were rudely disrupted with the clatter and clank of metal and to those who did not know better, it sounded for all the world like someone had robbed the entire kitchen of every pot and pan in it and was now prancing down the hallway with them. A few curious heads stopped from their assigned chores and turned in the direction of the noise, only to have it revealed that the culprit was a short, dirty dwarf who smiled jovially at them as she followed a willowy, dirty elf. The sight was strange at best and earned many stares but Hanni was oblivious to anything but the structures around her. They seemed so frail, as if made form spiders webs, and she feared that touching any of them would bring the whole of the building down. How on earth did elves live in such places? All the stained glass windows and trellises filled with growing plants seemed a tad frivolous to Hannalisa, who longed once more for the thick and sturdy columns that stretched into the darkness above her. These rooms were light and airy and as far as she could tell, they were completely without thick walls to ward off attacks. How does one defend such a place? Hanni sought some small comfort in the marble flooring and was impressed enough with the stonework (though she would have liked to see a little less shine and a lot more geometric patterning to them) but the amount of wood the place contained left her shaking her head.

Hanni had never been outside her mountain home before. Sure, she’d gotten used to the upper world during her long trip, but Rivendell was something entirely different. Hanni wasn’t sure she felt much safer here than she did out in the open. She followed Istale’s graceful figure out into the garden and was shocked to realize that none of the plants were used for growing food. Why in all the names of her forefathers, did these people insist on sticking part of the wilderness right in their home? They had set up plants in the middle of the house and for all she could tell, it had been for no apparent reason. Hanni snorted a bit in confusion and shook her head. Elves were strange creatures. Still, not wanting to offend her hosts, Hanni held her tongue and simply went where she was led. The bath that had been mentioned sounded like the very ringing of her people’s anvils to her (a very comforting thing to a dwarf) and her shoulders reminded her again that the chest plate was getting heavier by the moment. Istale led the way into a quiet section of the home and as they passed several rooms, Hanni dared a few glances inside. Rows of shelves lined many of the rooms and a few were still over flowing with books. From the looks of things, the battle had been going on for sometime now as all the shelves and their forgotten contents were left undisturbed beneath a thin layer of dust. A few bore the clean spots of some recent fingerprints, the tell tale signs of someone who stole a few moments of their time to peruse these volumes.

Finally, Istale paused at a door and Hanni poked her head inside to see a very ornate room full of flowing decoration. The entrances and windows of the room had been treated with care and were alight with organic, flowing woodwork which mimicked the scenery outside. The bed was well made and the headboard, a delicate carving of thin trees, was built right into the wall. Small alcoves were inset on either side, their shelves extending another five or so inches past the wall and on one of these sat a small candelabrum, inlaid with thin strands of silver. Hanni looked around the room and nodded ever so slightly…she would have to be very careful or she might wind up breaking something. The room was lovely to her in the way that dandelion flowers were lovely. They were nice enough to look at but you couldn’t well sit on one. Hanni was sure that this was just going to go badly. She looked over at the bed and hoped it hadn’t been built to hold up the small forms of elves. She would hate to have to explain that in the morning.

As her eyes roved over the room, they finally fell on the one thing Hanni was ever so glad to see. A large metal tub sat to the right of the door and from the moment her eyes fell on it, all else was forgotten. Hanni licked her dry lips a bit and then frowned and made a face as the taste of orc blood hit her throat. She looked down in distaste and realized that of course her face must be just as filthy as the rest of her. Hanni turned back to Istale and offered an intrepid smile. “The room is lovely…yes..lovely..and, uh, I would like very much to find some water and get this filth off me,” Hanni smiled in earnest and clapped her hands together sending a fine cloud of dirt and grime into the air, “Let’s find your room and I’ll help ya carry the water up to fill your tub. We could both use a good cleanin’ and I can’t very well meet…uh…whoever is in charge, if I look like this, eh?” Hanni roughly patted the young elf maid’s arm in a gesture of friendship and then marched back out of the room determined to find some water that wasn’t gurgling forth from some flowery fountain.

“Dirk, why, where on earth have you been all night,” Di’shan’s smooth easy voice drifted over the din of the camp’s usual morning routines, “we were worried about you.” Di’shan’s tone said it all, he wasn’t worried about Dirk’s safety so much as he was wondering if the man had decided to try his lot with the enemy. The question was there, though not plainly said and a slow smile had begun to work its way onto his handsome features as Di’shan leaned casually back against a post. He was not too far from his tent, the flap of which was still tied tightly shut with two orc guards on either side to ensure no difficulties with the prisoners; mind you, no orc in it’s right mind would willingly walk into that tent under it’s own power. Di’shan had shed his shirt this morning and the sun glistened across smooth bare skin, un-marred by wound or age. A sleeveless calf-length overcoat was all he wore over his leather breeches, a sure sign that he was going to get down to business soon enough. Di’shan always preferred to work without a shirt on. Most rumors whispered that it was because he liked to feel the blood on his skin and Di’shan had never said anything to the contrary.

“I was about to go start on the prisoners, Ondet gave me permission this morning,” a vile sort of glee rose up in his eyes and his voice dropped every so slightly in pitch, “Care to watch?” Di’shan twitched one foot idly as he watched Dirk for a reaction. If the other man was soft on either prisoner, now was a good a time to test it. None of the other men in camp cared to witness the mutilation and pain he wrought on their past captives, though Ondet had graced his tent from time to time and had leaned back to watch him work, always with the same impassive look on his face. Di’shan could never tell if the elf was pleased or not but new victims kept rolling in so he certainly wasn’t displeased or at least not overly so. Di’shan uncrossed his arms and slid to a full up right position. Casting one last look and a raised eyebrow at Dirk, he slipped off to his tent. After a few whispered words to the orc guards and a few pointed glances in Dirk’s direction (presumably to tell them that Dirk was allowed entry) Di’shan slipped into the tent opening and disappeared from view.

Ever since the moment they were dropped roughly in the tent, Di’shan had done very little to interact with the prisoners save for forcing the orc medicine down their throats from time to time. An orc had brought them food at the same time that Di’shan had sat down to eat and water was provided. Their hands were not un-tied for any reason and both of them had endured having the food and water shoved roughly down their throats by their captors. Di’shan had simply eaten quietly and read a small book while this went on. Bathroom breaks and such were all attended to by orcs and, otherwise, the prisoners were allowed a large amount of quiet privacy wherein they could talk amongst themselves. Di’shan had slipped in silently that night and flopped over onto his bed, all but ignoring them. He had slept peacefully with a single orc guard keeping watch just inside the tent opening during the night. For all intents and purposes, the prisoners seemed to have been forgotten up to this moment.

Di’shan’s entry shattered that small hope. As soon as he entered the tent, his eyes fell on his two newest toys and his smile said everything. He had been given free reign. Di’shan had never had the pleasure of torturing an elf before and the challenge of breaking their proud façade was truly intoxicating to him. How much would the elf bear before he broke? The boy was just as much of a treat, for Di’shan had always had a soft spot for the screams of children and his hungry stare fell on the skinny curled form of Rolan first. Without a word and without breaking his gaze, Di’shan moved over to his metal chest, shedding his overcoat along the way. He dropped the heavy fabric onto the bed without even looking at it and only when he sunk to his knees before the strongbox did he turn his eyes elsewhere. He flipped the lid open with a flourish and peered down into the contents as if trying to recall where he’d left something. After a few moments, he reached in and shifted a few things aside, finally pulling out another, much larger, leather strap. He rose to his feet and stretched the thing to its full length. The strap was about 5 inches wide or so at the center but was tapered down to thin cords on each end. He gave it a few good snaps before turning back to Narmion and Rolan.

Di’shan strode over casually, enjoying the fear he saw lurking behind their eyes at his approach. Each of them was doing an admirable job of hiding that emotion from him but soon enough he would have it out in the open. Di’shan passed by Rolan for the moment and grabbed Narmion up by his shirts. Di’shan was not an overly powerful man but he had enough strength to haul the elf across the floor and seat him with his back against the center pole, ignoring any protests offered up by the elf’s young comrade. Set into the support pole of the tent were three small metal spikes, one at the bottom and two about three feet up on either side; it was around one of these that Di’shan tied one of the thin ends of the leather strap. He went back to his box and pulled out a new leather thong, much like those used to tie Narmion’s hands and feet, and he used this to bind Narmion’s already tied hands to the bottom-most spike, thus effectively attaching the elf to the pole.

“Get on your knees,” he instructed softly, “Or I can start with the boy if you like.” Knowing full well that the elf would never sacrifice the boy up for himself, Di'shan smiled evilly as Narmion did what he was told and when the elf had trouble getting his wounded leg to cooperate, Di’shan gladly “helped” fold the appendage under him. Once the elf was kneeling painfully at the post, his arms pulled back behind him, Di’shan moved back to the leather strap and lifted it gingerly in his hands. Humming softly, as if he were doing some pleasant outdoor chore, Di’shan wrapped the thicker part of the strap securely around Narmion’s neck, careful to slip it up under his chin as high as it would ride. Then he looped the other end of the strap around the remaining peg on the opposite side of the pole and pulled down ever so gently. The strap began to tighten around Narmion’s neck but no questions were asked of him. As Di’shan pulled, the thick leather pulled up on Narmion’s head, choking him unless the elf bent up and back with it to ease the pressure. The width of the strap and it’s placement under the elf’s chin meant it would not actually cut off his air entirely no matter what position the elf was in, thus denying him the ability to try taking his own life, but the pressure on his neck and under his jaw was enough to be extremely painful unless Narmion pushed up with his legs to ease the discomfort. Unfortunately, the leather binding on his hands was still tied to the spike at the bottom and so the elf was left arching his back until his body formed a triangle against the pole.

Di’shan stopped when Narmion looked as if he could bend no further and there the tormentor tied off the leather, thus keeping Narmion under a constant strain. The pain of the wounded leg and the pressure being wrought on Narmion’s injured shoulder were as sweet as honey to Di’shan and he drank in each gasp and pained grunt like fine wine. The elf would most likely not last long in that position and eventually his legs would give out, leaving him struggling with the new pain around his neck. This was the problem Di’shan had laid before Narmion. Pick your pain. Chose to relax the old injuries and the new ones would cause suffering, chose to alleviate the new pain at the cost of the old. Neither torment would leave much of a mark on the elf’s perfect skin and Di’shan congratulated himself on this fact as he met Narmion’s defiant gaze. Di’shan waggled his eyebrows at the elf warrior in a display of playful mirth and then chuckled softly as he moved to the tent opening. A few taps were left on the door, a signal to someone outside, and then Di’shan went back to his toy box.

From within it’s dark depths, Di’shan this time pulled out a thick roll of fabric which had been tied with string. He plucked loose the knot and then rolled the fabric out in the floor revealing a series of pockets, each stuffed with various nasty looking instruments. The sharp tools settled into place with a little tinkle and Di’shan set to straightening them out like a surgeon taking inventory. After a moment or two, the tent flap slid open and a very nervous orc shuffled in carrying a metal bowl, the bottom of which was glowing orange. He set the bowl down and rushed back out of the room as fast as he could. Inside the shallow caldron were hot coals still glowing with a faint light and interspersed among them were small metal rods with wooden ends. Di’shan rubbed his hands together and sauntered over to the pot, delicately choosing one of the rods and removing it’s still red hot tip from the coals. He turned his eyes upon Narmion with a grin, “Shall we begin?”

With that, Di’shan began to move toward Rolan with a sinister purpose and a crooked smile spreading across his face.
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2006 09:56
OOc// I think it's written very well, otterling. Sorry this is so short peeps. I couldn't really think of much to write...

Rolan watched Di'shan's movements dully. At one moment he had growled in anger when the man began hurting Narmion, but then the nasueating sense of pleasure Di'shan was deriving from his activities silenced the boy. He winced in sympathy when the Elf's legs began to tremble under the strain resulting from the position he'd been forced into. And then that totally unhuman man turned around with a sinsiter smile on his too-perfect face and Rolan steeled himself. It was his turn to become a plaything of this monster.

He'd thought he was ready for anything.

That was before he was the coals and the red-hot metal Di'shan lifted so carefully. Rolan thought about playing like he'd passed out. It certainly was feasible. He'd been passing out a lot lately, as well as hacking up meals. Narmion had suggested that he was getting fevered. Now Rolan felt hot and cold at the same time, forcing himself to meet his tormentor's gaze. Those eyes were so cold as to almost be dead, but a certain love of the pain of weaker animals was definetly present. Rolan saw it and feared it, knowing there was nothing he could do. Even so, as the man drew nearer, the boy attempted to lash out, snarling like the cornered animal he was. Di'shan didn't even flinch back.

Rolan let his eyes close and prayed that the pain be brief.

“Dirk, why, where on earth have you been all night,” Di’shan’s smooth easy voice drifted over the din of the camp’s usual morning routines, “we were worried about you.” Di’shan’s tone said it all, he wasn’t worried about Dirk’s safety so much as he was wondering if the man had decided to try his lot with the enemy. The question was there, though not plainly said and a slow smile had begun to work its way onto his handsome features as Di’shan leaned casually back against a post.

Dirk merely grunted a response, looking at a point slightly above Di'shan's shoulder and refusing to meet his gaze. He didn't feel like explaining that he couldn't sleep last night and that riding in the forest made him feel more comfortable. Firstly Di'shan probably wouldn't have understood a word of it and secondly Dirk was sure the man would find some way to twist his words into a net meant to trap him. So he was silent. And Di'shan spoke again.

“I was about to go start on the prisoners, Ondet gave me permission this morning,” a vile sort of glee rose up in his eyes and his voice dropped every so slightly in pitch, “Care to watch?” Di’shan twitched one foot idly as he watched Dirk for a reaction.

Dirk refused to give one. He shrugged offhandedly and mumbled something or other before deciding it was time to make his exit whether it be rude or not. Frankly he could care less whether or not he was being rude. All he wanted to do right now was go lay down and get back some of the sleep he'd lost during his nighttime ride.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 09, 2006 12:52
(ooc: Otterling wrote the bit for Di’Shan in this one )

Rolan looked up at Narmion's face in surprise. He hadn't noticed that the Elf was awake. "'S'alright, I guess," he said softly. He was speaking quietly because he didn't want to alert anyone to them being awake, but mostly because talking any louder than a whisper set his head to pounding like it was trying to shred itself to pieces. "Jest hurts like nothin' ye'ver felt," he added when Narmion's concerned look refused to become less worried. "I'm all right. 'Cept for the leather bindin' me, I'd say I'm better off'en in the streets." He managed a weak smile at the Elf. "We're gonna be fine."

Narmion’s spirits were so low that he couldn’t even return Rolan’s dismal smile. Inwardly he just sighed- knowing very well that thinking they’d be fine was stretching the truth a little too far. More than likely they’d both end up dead- or worse, before death actually came. There was a defiant side of him that told him not to give in to that fate, but another side just urged him to accept it. What hope was there, after all? He’d beheld how large a camp this was- and the orcs and men so numerous that their captains could afford to let them kill each other? As much as he lost hope for himself and the boy at his side did the dark-haired ellon lose hope for the rest of his race.

He envisioned this force moving on Imladris. The elves could defend the city for a while, but there would be little chance of escape for them, and even less of victory. Aid needed to be sent for, but there was no knowing if riders could get through with the summons for help, or if anyone would even come. The force they were up against was powerful…. Narmion couldn’t shake the vision of the pale-haired elf he’d passed without the wretched tent. Somehow he hoped he’d imagined it, but there was no chance of that- the cold hate in those eyes was burned into his memory, and he knew he’d never forget it. Could it be that that elf was a leader here? Once again he wondered why- why would any elf want to see his own race destroyed? It was beyond him to imagine, and the thought almost made him physically ill.

As time wore on the captives spoke a bit more, though more often than not they sat in a brooding silence. Narmion’s wrists were on fire, but he didn’t bother trying to wriggle out of the leather bindings- his flesh was already burning and such an action would only make it worse. There was also, of course, his head and the shoulder. The old wound was aching almost as badly as the fresh one on his leg, but there was no comfortable position he could find to lessen the pain- so finally he simply gave up and tried to ignore it.

There was a dull fear in his heart as the day drew to a close (after dealing with more orc medicine, and the humiliation of being hand-fed by the foul creatures) and Di’Shan came in to sleep. No words were said and for the moment Narmion and Rolan were ignored, but the elf knew better than to hope that luck would last. Through the night he dozed fitfully against the tent wall, only because he knew he needed to; no rest came with slumber, and no comfort. Even in his dreams there was an ever present trepidation filling his being, and always there was the sorrow that Rolan had fallen captive… .
Almost as bad was that the lad was obviously ill. The orcish medicine did nothing for him, and he lost his food more than once.
“You must be taking fever,” the elf remarked softly, wishing he could do something to help, “Just try to rest.”

The next day, their “peace” came to an abrupt halt. Their captor left the tent and was gone a while- but when he reentered, the devilish grin on his face clearly said what he was thinking. Narmion shrunk inside, not letting his eyes flick to the metal chest he’d been fearing since their bindings had been produced from it.

When the man’s attention was elsewhere Narmion shared a glance with Rolan, wishing he could offer the boy some comfort- but what was there to say? The most he could do was just look at him briefly before turning his gaze back on Di’Shan, who- by that time- had produced another strip of leather. He wondered wildly what it was for, and knew it couldn’t be pleasant- and as they were approached he shuddered at his own hope that Rolan would be left alone, and he would be the ‘victim’. His face was impassive, though, as he glared at their captor. Let him do what he wanted, the elf thought darkly, he’d learn nothing!

There was no time to think as he was hauled off the ground and basically dragged over to the center-pole of the tent, wincing as he was shoved down with his back against the pole. As his wrists were fastened to the beam he tried only to concentrate on breathing, and not panicking. Even so, he couldn’t help wondering darkly what was in store.

“Get on your knees,” he instructed softly, “Or I can start with the boy if you like.”

Still determined to save Rolan from suffering for as long as he could, Narmion obeyed. It was difficult, though, forcing his legs to cooperate- the thongs on his ankles made them rather numb and awkward to move, but the injury above his knee was the worst. It was stinging and throbbing, despite the attention the orc-doctor had given it- and he wasn’t thankful when Di’Shan ‘helped’ move it into place. Once he was kneeling with his hands bound tightly behind him the elf had to swallow his fear again. He met Rolan’s gaze for a moment and then dropped his eyes to the floor, not wanting the boy to see that he was afraid.

Di’shan moved back to the leather strap and lifted it gingerly in his hands. Humming softly, as if he were doing some pleasant outdoor chore, Di’shan wrapped the thicker part of the strap securely around Narmion’s neck, careful to slip it up under his chin as high as it would ride. Then he looped the other end of the strap around the remaining peg on the opposite side of the pole and pulled down ever so gently. The strap began to tighten around Narmion’s neck but no questions were asked of him. As Di’shan pulled, the thick leather pulled up on Narmion’s head, choking him unless the elf bent up and back with it to ease the pressure. The width of the strap and it’s placement under the elf’s chin meant it would not actually cut off his air entirely no matter what position the elf was in, thus denying him the ability to try taking his own life, but the pressure on his neck and under his jaw was enough to be extremely painful unless Narmion pushed up with his legs to ease the discomfort. Unfortunately, the leather binding on his hands was still tied to the spike at the bottom and so the elf was left arching his back until his body formed a triangle against the pole.

Narmion had had a headache shortly before this- but the blood pounding in his ears now was unmatched by any headache he’d *ever* had. In fact, his entire body was riddled with pain and discomfort- the leather strap pulling against his jaw and throat choked his breath and made his eyes feel as if they might leave his skull. The intense arch of his back and the way his arms were bound was pure agony on the shoulder and spine- but the worst pain was in the wounded leg. He had to use his legs to shift himself so that he could breathe. He hardly noticed when Di’Shan went to the door, and then back to the dreaded metal chest. His own eyes were shut against his suffering, and it wasn’t long before his legs began to tremble under his weight. Biting his tongue to keep from making any sound he relaxed the strain on them, only to have the leather strap mercilessly biting into his throat again.

From within it’s dark depths, Di’shan this time pulled out a thick roll of fabric which had been tied with string. He plucked loose the knot and then rolled the fabric out in the floor revealing a series of pockets, each stuffed with various nasty looking instruments. The sharp tools settled into place with a little tinkle and Di’shan set to straightening them out like a surgeon taking inventory. After a moment or two, the tent flap slid open and a very nervous orc shuffled in carrying a metal bowl, the bottom of which was glowing orange. He set the bowl down and rushed back out of the room as fast as he could.

Narmion couldn’t angle his eyes well enough to look at the metal bowl directly, but he could tell what it held. Inwardly he writhed, thinking at first that the coals, and the metal rods burning hot amidst them, were meant for him. Appalled at the wicked glee in the face of the tormentor as one of the rods was produced from the bowl he attempted to swallow the lump in this throat but couldn’t. Wishing desperately that he were somewhere else- anywhere else!- he went back to biting his tongue and holding silence.

He turned his eyes upon Narmion with a grin, “Shall we begin?”
With that, Di’shan began to move toward Rolan with a sinister purpose and a crooked smile spreading across his face.

Narmion despaired at once, filled with horror to know that his tormentor was going for Rolan – the man would leave him here, under this unimaginable strain, while he tortured the boy!! And here *he* was, the proud elven warrior, completely helpless to do anything about it!
“Don’t you hurt him, filth!” the elf commanded in a rasping voice, grunting in pain as he pushed himself up enough with his wounded leg so that he was able to talk against the leather strap, ‘He’s just a boy!”

--Di'shan paused or the briefest of moments to cast a smirk in Narmion's direction. "I know," was all the response that Di'shan gave, his smile becoming a foul leer before he turned back to the young man before him. As he knelt down beside Rolan, one strong hand wrapped up in the boy's tattered shirt and wrenched him up so that his face was not far from Di'shan's. "You will tell me everything I want to know, master elf. You will spill all the secrets of Rivendell for my enjoyment...but first," he paused, leaned back and snickered softly, "first, you will hear the boy scream." Di'shan moved the heated rod a few inches closer to Rolan's face and thoughtfully chewed his bottom lip for a moment. "Now then, should I take out his eyes first or just scar his youthful face?"—

“Don’t hurt him!” Narmion rasped again, his heart aching for his young friend, “Do what you want with me, but please let the child be!”

It was a plea hopeless and unheeded, he knew, but he couldn’t stop the words from issuing from his lips. A small half-sob escaped as well, for his wounded leg could finally hold him up no longer, and he returned again to struggling for breath against the blasted strip of leather. He feared that the excruciating strain on his body from the awkward way he was trapped would drive him mad if it didn’t kill him first- but now his main concern was Rolan, and the red-hot metal rod still hovering near his face.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He did not want to move, he almost purred as Lalaith’s skillfull hands eased the wrenched , aching muscles in his back.

“Arato , battle plans and reports will have to wait a while longer” Glyndr smiled as he pulled his wife into a passionate embrace. His pain stricken back forgotten as he kissed her with as much passion.

It was a very reluctant Captain that a while later, stood at the door with Lalaith.
“I have a few things I must attend to at the watchroom”, he said as he kissed her forehead softly.
“And I must go to Sylstar, I am concerned for the horse, and just as concerned for the stable lads, the animal will only be safe if I am there to tend him”

Glyndr held her face gently in his hands, and kissed her again, “ I will not be long. I want to share whatever time I have with you, as it should be”.

“I’ll wait for you here,” she replied, tracing the line of his jaw with her fingers, “I love you, Glyndr… please don’t be too long.”

Lalaith stood at the door of their chamber and watched him walk (slowly) down the corridor. The memory of the time they’d shared brought a soft smile to her lips, and she sighed, wishing that he were able to just stay with her. He was a Captain, though… a skilled warrior… and the situation of their city was dire. He simply couldn’t be spared, no matter how much either of them wished it could be so. Recalling his wounds she shook her head, wishing he’d just wear more armor as she shut the door and went to sit at the window. Her husband was a brave and ruthless soldier- she’d seen him in battle before and knew it was a terrible sight to behold- but he wasn’t invincible. How she feared that she would end up one of the mourning wives, left to nothing but grief and loneliness! Without Glyndr, she knew, even her home in Imladris would have little meaning. Her life itself would be meaningless!

Deciding to try not thinking about it she picked up a book, one that hadn’t been in her lap for many nights- a simple collection of tales and stories- and she sat reading by the waning sunlight, until a candle was needed to light the pages. All the while her mind wasn’t really on the volume before her…. It was on Glyndr, and the wish that he would return to her soon.

(I’m cringing over this. Still no idea what to do with Delvan, so I’m still leaving him alone )
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2006 02:59
((GAAAAAAH *hides again* Evil! Poor Rolan! *goes to dive at him to keep him safe, except Morgai stops her* Curse you, you evil follower of a deranged elf!))

Eadoin had registered the doors of the armory opening violently, but he hadn't looked up until he heard the running feet stumbling over piles of armor strewn across the ground. He had barely enough time to throw the bow and tools aside before Arianna dropped to her knees next to him.

"T-t-they all w-went out and m-m-most of t-them c-came b-b-back, but, Eadoin - Rolan! H-he, Glyndr s-said he w-was c-c-captured by t-the orcs, and Narmion and Diablo too!"

"Rolan?" Eadoin asked, pulling Arianna against him and holding her as she cried. "Captured?" Suddenly, he was at a loss for words. Numbly, he listened to her relay the deaths of the elves in the battle, but he never really heard her.

Rolan was captured? he thought. How? WHY?! Hasn't he suffered enough in this war? And why didn’t Arato tell me?! Suddenly unable to contain himself, Eadoin abruptly stood, leaving Arianna where she was on the ground. He picked up a helmet, studied it for a moment, and promptly threw it clean across the room, where it slammed into a wall with a loud clatter. All sound stopped as the elves stopped to stare at him in disbelief.

“Why now?” the man snarled, pacing angrily back and forth in the small area of clean space he found. “Why did this have to happen *now*, of all times? We’re losing soldiers every time we send a patrol out, and now two – three – of our number are taken!” He brushed his bangs from his eyes and continued to pace. “And why did it have to be Rolan who was taken, and Narmion and Diablo?” He stopped. “WHAT DO THEY WANT OF US?!?!” he screamed at the ceiling.

There was only silence in for his answer. The elves were stunned at his outburst. Although they hardly knew him, they had expected him to be calm and level-headed, and here he was, his temper exploding without warning. Eadoin waited a few moments, chest heaving as he struggled to draw breath through a tightening throat. Without warning, he snatched his weapons up from where he had set them and bolted, heading straight for the stables.

“Eadoin?” Aiden asked, stepping out of the stall as his brother stormed past. He stepped out of the stall housing the red mare that his brother had returned on in time to see Eadoin snatch up his bridle and enter the stall holding his horse. A few short moments later, the man led the horse down the corridor, without a saddle. “Eadoin, what are you doing?!” Aiden asked in shock as his brother vaulted onto his horse’s back and turned her towards the entrance of the courtyard.

“Leaving,” Eadoin replied calmly, spurring his horse forward and across the bridge. He kicked her into a gallop once across.

“EADOIN!”

----------

When Morgai awoke, it was well past dawn, midmorning, actually. Luxuriously, the man stretched out on the furs and skins that made his bed, rolling to one side and burrowing further under them. He hoped that Ondet wouldn’t have need of him today – he felt like being a bedbug.

Just then, there was a tapping at the flap of his tent. Groaning, Morgai rolled onto his back and sat up, fondling a few daggers beneath his blanket.

“Enter,” he called. The flap lifted and an orc looked in at him.

“Ondet wants t’ see yew. ‘E’s waiting for you near Di’shan’s tent,” the orc said, voice rasping horribly on Morgai’s nerves. Giving a slight bow, the orc turned and began to walk away, only to fall a few feet from Morgai’s tent with a blade in his back. Morgai stepped out after him, shirtless, to retrieve the dagger and wipe it on the orc’s back. A few orcs looked at him.

“Never refer to Ondet by his name, scum. You have no right. Am I understood?” Morgai snapped. The orcs nodded, and Morgai returned to his tent to dress. A few moments later, he stepped out and crossed the camp to where he could see the Captain waiting for him, buckling his sword belt around his waist as he walked. He never went anywhere without it. “Sir,” Morgai said, bowing his head in respect.

“Come with me,” Ondet commanded, and the man did as he was told, ducking to step into Di’shan’s tent. The Gondorian shivered in distaste, understanding that Ondet wanted him to watch Di’shan doing his work... again. Seeing the elf bound to the center pole of his tent and Di’shan approaching the boy, Morgai clasped his hands tightly behind his back to keep them from shaking.

He hated it when Ondet made him watch. He would admit, Di’shan had his uses, information “gathering” being one of them, but watching the man made him lose his appetite for several hours afterwards. The good part to it was that it gave him a high for those few hours, so he didn’t suffer for not wanting to eat. It was as exhilarating as it was disgusting to watch the man work.

((EDIT - the word processor screwed up my post, and I discovered it was italicised because I forgot to close one of my italics brackets correctly... ^_^;;
EDIT AGAIN - I saw some stupid mistakes that I had to fix. *sigh* ))

[Edited on 10/5/06 by Nimeneth]

Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2006 12:55
They paused at the door of the guest rooms, and Istalë watched as the dwarf surveyed the layout, looking rather dubious as far as she could tell from what little was visible of Hanni’s facial features. Hanni’s body language spoke realms of discomfort, from the way her rough, leather-gloved hand rested so tremulously lightly on the doorframe to her exaggeratedly gentle footsteps across the threshold, and then the way she stood stock-still in the middle of the doorway, just looking all around her, bright hazel eyes seeming to poke and prod and caress every piece of furniture ever so gingerly. The elleth realised it was probably something novel for Hanni – she had obviously never been here before, and from the looks of it her companion was rather young, perhaps too used to her own peoples’ underground caverns and halls of stone.

Not for the first time she wondered how dwarves could bear to live the way they did. She had been to Erebor and the Lonely Mountain, decades, even maybe centuries ago, and it had definitely been something of a major culture shock. How did they stand the enclosed feeling of being underground, almost never seeing the sky or even the light of day for that matter? Or the stark, sharp geometrics with which they seemed to design and build? Why did they delight so in unliving stone and rock, to the point that their cold halls and homes were so entirely devoid of plant life?

Her musings were broken as the dwarf turned around to face her with a grin curling the corners of her bushy beard. Yet another enigma, Istalë thought with a mental chuckle. What was it dwarves had for all the *hair* and leather and metal?

“The room is lovely…yes..lovely..and, uh, I would like very much to find some water and get this filth off me,” (Istalë cringed a little as Hanni clapped her hands almost mischeviously, releasing clods of dirt and dust particles into the air that twinkled slightly as they fell languidly, backlit by the sun’s rays as they streamed in through the “open” side of the room.) “Let’s find your room and I’ll help ya carry the water up to fill your tub. We could both use a good cleanin’ and I can’t very well meet…uh…whoever is in charge, if I look like this, eh?”

Then the stout little figure turned again and marched out the door, the din and clamour caused by the sheer amount of metal she had on her starting up again. It was somewhat amusing to Istalë, who personally never wore armour or even protective clothing of any sort at all, and was quite foreign to the idea that chain mail, plates, and thick leather were fashion statements in the way the dwarves used such materials.

It seemed that Hanni’s aversion to water gurgling forth from flowery fountains was not to be avoided.

“But… Hannalisa…” Istalë called after the receding figure, puzzled. “Where are you going? I thought you wanted to wash up? There’s no need to carry water in here…”

There was a small antechamber off the main room that led into a washroom much more enclosed than the rest of the house. An ornate, carved set of wooden screens partitioned off one side of this area, while the other half of the rectangular construction dipped into a sunken bath, filled continuously by water trickling from the pointed tip a granite spout molded into a long, thin leaf shape. It was one of the little perks of living in a mountain chain – you were saved the trouble of plumbing (or lack thereof) by nature’s own, much more efficient system: springs. They were a very convenient source of warm or even hot water.

She took her leave of Hanni then and returned to the welcome comfort of her own rooms just down the corridor, saying she would be back once she was done cleaning up.

Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2006 04:43
Nethraueth finished sobbing, and merely clung to Elladan as the shadows in the room grew long. She whispered, "So much has happened, so much evil. Lord Elrond's death, your blindness, the death of my brothers...I am sorry to have wept like a child, but I could not bear the pain any longer."

Elladan soothingly stroked her hair and said, "Hush, child. There is no shame in your tears. You have seen much and had to bear more than you were expecting. Your brothers will be returned here and their bodies given the respect in death that they deserve, do not fear."

She nodded, and then responded, "I have spoken to Captain Glyndr. I am joining his men."

Elrohir stopped the writing he was doing at the desk and said, "No, Neth. I will not allow it."

Nethraueth raised her eyebrows and said, "You have not a choice in this, my dear Ehrohir."

Elladan's words were soft. "And if I should forbid it?"

She kissed his temple softly and said, "I woud be heartbroken and helpless to avenge the crimes committed upon you and Lord Elrond. I would despair and become a shell of my own self, Elladan. You would not wish that, would you?"

Elladan heaved a sigh, and raised his hand to quet his brother, who was about to intervene. "No, i would not wish that."

Nethraueth stood and kissed Elladan's cheek. "If you will excuse me then, I will go and rest now." She swept out of the House of Elrond and back to her own rooms.
otterling
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2006 07:58
((OOC: Ok, sorry this one is short but it’s the edited version where you don’t have to bear witness to all the horrors the boys went through. If you don’t read the full version, don’t worry, you’ll still find out what happened to them later in the story, you’ll just be spared the details))

For 3 full hours, the horrendous screams echoed through the encampment, sending shivers up the spines of the gathered orcs. The cries seemed to be rent from the captive’s very souls, tormented and despairing; first the screams of a child, set forth in chorus with the pleading voice of a an adult, then when mercy took the child from consciousness, the pleas turned to intermittent screams pulled from the boy’s companion. Horses shied and pulled at their tethers sensing the pain that was felt in those cries, birds took flight in the woods nearby and a strange sort of quiet fell over the camp as the time wore on. The orcish hordes went about their usual chores but stayed hushed for some reason; for some it was to better enjoy the sounds of torment, for others it was out of some sense of fear upon hearing those screams, a disconcerting nagging in their heads that said they should not disrupt the song of Di’shan’s playtime.

Finally, the calls echoed out into the mountains and faded away into an eerie silence. The flap to Di’shan’s tent slid aside and the imposing form of Ondet emerged into the stillness of the afternoon, flowed closely by Morgai. Di’shan followed both men out and sauntered over to a nearby basin to wash his hands, the stench of burned flesh still clinging to his clothes. “I am confident we will get more answers when they wake,” he drawled slowly as his hands sank below the surface of the water. Di’shan watched with the morbid fascination of a child as the blood which covered his hands and lower arms swirled out into the pool and stained it, content to twitch his fingers and send the little spirals of color whirling. Ondet stood silent, listening to voices that no one else could hear and all but ignoring the other men. “I will be told the moment they wake,” the soft spoken phrase was not a question and Di’shan nodded his head once to show his understanding.

“It will be as you say, M’Lord,” Di’shan smiled at the elf’s retreating form as Ondet moved away. His eyes fell next on Morgai and he smiled pleasantly, “I’m famished, care to join me for lunch?” Di’shan grinned openly at the man, knowing his invitation would not be accepted, just as it had been declined the un-counted number of times previous to this one. Each time though, Di’shan felt obliged to offer and even gained a little kick out of the look he usually got in response. He finished his washing, leaving the water a deep scarlet in his wake, and then headed off into the camp to find something to eat.

Hanni was halted in her exit of the elvish room by the soft voice of Istale.

“But… Hannalisa…” Istalë called after the receding figure, puzzled. “Where are you going? I thought you wanted to wash up? There’s no need to carry water in here…”

Hanni turned back around to face the young woman who was leaning out of the door to her room with a perplexed look on her lovely features. Hanni sighed inwardly, she could only imagine how the elves were bringing the water into her room. The sudden image of several infant deer bearing water to her in buckets held between their teeth raced through her head unbidden and Hanni almost snorted a chuckle aloud. Certainly the elves were fancy, but she doubted they would go that far…or at least she sincerely hoped not. Shuffling back into the room, Hanni made her way in the direction pointed out to her and found an ornate screen separating off part of a bathing room; leaves and vines seemed to abound in this place and where the elves could not coax them to grow, they had a fondness for replicating them in every known material. A metal spout trickled water over a lovingly sculpted leaf where it fell from the tip into a sunken bath. Hanni stared at it for a few moments and resigned herself to the fact that she would have to climb down into the tub.

Istale took her leave once Hanni had found the bath and the dwarf waited until the door swung shut before she set back to unclasping the buckles on her armor. Just from looking at the thick nubby appendages of dwarves, one would not guess the sheer dexterity found there in, when, in fact, Dwarves can untie knots in the thinnest of threads. They had developed this unexpected skill after many eons of intricate work wrought of stone and inlaid with the finest of gems. Dwarvish fingers could set two blocks of marble together with such skill as to fool the eye into thinking it had become whole, and it was this fortunate characteristic that had Hanni’s filthy armor off within moments of her door clicking shut. The breastplate hit the floor with a resounding clang, followed by her boots, shoulder plating, and greaves. Hannalisa glanced around the open space and shugged a bit; if someone attacked Rivendell right at that moment, then she doubted the room would be very secure, however, her need to get the orc stench off of her had Hanni shedding the stained leather jerkins and breeches as fast as she could. ‘They’ll have to kill me naked,’ she thought wryly and with that, the hairy little woman sat down on the edge of the tub and allowed herself to slide in.

Bare dirty feet hit the floor with a light splosh and Hanni shuffled over to the spout. Upon closer inspection she found only one small knob and when she turned this, the water gurgled forth reassuringly from the leaf at a much faster pace. Soon her bath had begun to fill up, though it was already a dingy grey by the time it hit her knees. Hanni flopped backward into the water, wanting ever so much to feel the heat of it soak into her skin. Instead, what she felt was much different. A sharp stinging pain lanced through Hannalisa’s left cheek (and not those of the face) sending the dwarf scrabbling in the water as she tried to stand back up. The dwarf spun about in a circle cursing every orc she had ever met as well as all their kin. Across her pale skin, amidst the auburn curls of hair, an angry red line was traced; some particularly vicious orc had managed a lucky blow to her buttocks. Hanni rubbed the red welt and gingerly lowered herself back into the water, sucking air in through her teeth to stop the flood of foul language she wanted to utter.

After quite some time soaking, Hanni emerged from the water leaving a black pool swirling behind her. She sat naked on the floor and washed her cloths and armor in the tub until they were as clean as they had been when she set out so many days ago. With that, Hanni re-dressed herself, hissing in pain as each nick, cut and scratch yelled at her in protest.

((OOC: Darn, I had to cut this short due to time constraints))

[Edited on 10/5/2006 by otterling]
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2006 04:15
The high-pitched screaming of a child hurt his ears. It was ragged, like whoever was yelling had been doing so for quite a while. The screams were punctuated by silences that were, if anything, worse than the yells. Curled up in his tent, Dirk could hear just about everything that Di'shan was doing to the prisoners. The voices carried extrodinarily well. At first he'd tried to drown out the sound by covering his ears, but then he'd given up on escaping them. Like the rest of the camp, he stayed out of view and let the sounds penetrate the thin flaps of his tent. There really wasn't much he could do, after all...

Abruptly the child's screams cut off. Thinking Di'shan had probably just stopped inflicting pain for a moment, Dirk waited for the cries of pain to begin again. But they didn't. He heard someone calling and then adult screams. Almost before he realized what he was doing Dirk had scrambled to his feet and gotten ready to run across the camp towhere Di'shan's tent was. He was halfway out the tent flap before he caught himself and again withdrew, albiet reluctantly. This was really no time for him to go harring after some child. After all, he just looked like Jeth. He wasn't really. So, it obviously followed that the child didn't matter as much. Dirk knew he'd hardly be doing his family a favor by getting ondet to issue a command allowing Di'shan to go a hunting them. His blood ran cold at the thought. But, he reflected, as he lay down again and shut his eyes, it didn't make listening to the screams any easier to bear.

He must have drifted to sleep. When his eyes opened again, he could not hear the only-slightly muffled sounds of inflicted pain. It must have finished. Again Dirk rose and opened the tent flap, carefully schooling his face into a chilled and impassive expression before exiting the tent.

The camp had pretty much resumed its normal activities. No one was sneaking around and though the orcs still avoided coming too close to Di'shan's tent, they weren't completely shunning the area as they did when Di'shan was in residence. A cold chuckle worked its way out of Dirk's mouth. It was as obvious as if there had been a sign posted, banners waving and heralds crying the news that Di'shan had enjoyed himself. There weren't orc corpses before his tent, for one thing. The cold settled into Dirk and he let his feet take him around the camp, cooly noting little things that marked Di'shan's passage; the orcs still cowering, horses shivering, utter silence.

His feet brought him to a place he'd avoided thus far, for fear of getting into trouble with Ondet. He found himself before the Elf's tent and leaning against a tree, admiring the horse that still remained tethered before the Master's home. After a short pause, Dirk strode forward purposefully and let his hand rest on the horse's flank.
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2006 11:36
Nethraueth had remained awake most of the night, in her room, stripped out of her dress and garbed instead in armor, practicing her fighting skills. She was not about to let Captain Glyndr have an easy time of getting information out of her. There were too many secrets, too many things she needed to keep hidden for her to be complacent in her training.

In her mind's eye, she saw her brothers fall, and she saw the blades that had cut them down. She worked furiously through defensive movements, and she could almost hear the clang of metal on metal, hear the shouts on the battlefield, smell the sharp tang of death. This was what propelled her on, her dual knives working in a fluid display of perfect synchronicity, a ballet of sharp blades flashing in the light.

Nethraueth dropped one blade down and kicked it away with a booted foot, drawing her sword in exchange, working short stabs in between the longer slashes, backhand and forehand, over and over, overlapping her movements, advancing and retreating, timing her footwork with each and every beat of her heart. She could hear it now, roaring in her ears, drowning out all other sounds around her, including the panting of her own breath as she forced herself toward her goal of perfection. There could not be any room for error, not the slightest mistake.

She had too much to protect.

Finally, when her muscles stopped their screaming protests at being worked so harshly, and began to go numb, and she began to feel the lightheadedness begin to over take her, she suddenly stopped her movements and allowed the weapons to drop to the floor with a clatter.

Nethraueth peeled off her armor, and that followed the weapons to the polished wood, clanging and thumping as she dumped it all and went into her bathing room. She slipped into the tub, warmed by an underground spring, and she bega to scrub the sweat from her hair and body, braiding her hair into two long braids at the back and then cinching them together with cord, warrior braids in the front at her temples. She dressed quickly, a body-forming leather jerkin that would protect her from blows, leggings and boots. Then she went to her pack and pulled out some dried fruit she had from making the journey back. This she munched on in between buckling on her daggers and sword, and slinging her bow and quiver over her shoulder, in the event that the icy Captain wished to have her demonstrate her skills at archery as well.

She stepped out into the morning air, and a slight breeze assailed her senses and made them come alive and alert. Her muscles tingled in anticipation of her sparring with an opponent. It was going to be a good day. A very good day.
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2006 02:02
Riding from Imladris alone and unprovisioned had been one of the stupider things he had done, Eadoin admitted as he looked around himself. He hadn't even thought to bring a map! He had left the road some miles back and was now horribly and hopelessly lost. Sighing, the young man slipped from his horse's back and led her along through the trees, pushing branches aside as he went.

Long moments later, Eadoin spotted some tracks in the dirt and bent to study them. What he found annoyed him. These were the hoofprints of his own horse! He was going in circles! Growling in disbelief at himself, he picked a direction at random and started in it, hoping that somehow, he'd find something worth finding. Finally, he found the edge of the woods and looked around him.

"Ah," he muttered, glancing in one direction. "Imladris lies in that way, so I should go... that way." Mounting his mare again, he nudged her into a trot across the open country, in hopes of finding either the battle site or something else.

As the sun began to set, Eadoin dismounted and set up a small camp. Finding a few edible plants and a stream of water, he ate and drank his fill, before filling the waterskin that had, miraculously, made it into his possession before leaving Imladris. Looking at the ground and then up at the trees, he decided it safer to sleep above ground. Grumbling about it, he climbed into a tree and settled down for a broken night of sleep.

---

It had been pure chance that had led him close enough to the camp to hear the screams. When he had heard the first one, he had almost fallen off his horse in shock and surprise. Dismoutning, he tied her to a tree with enough of a lead to allow her to graze and reach the small brook bubbling nearby, he crept forward, slinging his bow over his shoulder.

The first sign of the camp he had found was the smoke rising above the trees, and the faint flickering of a fire somewhere through the trees. As he crept closer, he began to hear the screams more clearly. They sounded like... like a child! Eadoin sped up.

Now, where he was perched in a tree, holding on for dear life as his hands and the rest of his body shook from fear and rage, he wished he had never come. About an hour and a half before, he had identified Narmion's voice above the screaming, just moments before it stopped. Judging it was *Narmion* in the tent guarded by orcs, Eadoin figured that Rolan had been the one screaming. And then - probably worse - Narmion had started screaming.

"Valar," Eadoin said, choking on the urge to retch lest he reveal himself. Then, the screams had stopped, as suddenly as they had begun. Moments later, the flap of the tent opened, and a tall, pale elf left the tent, followed closely by the form of a dark-haired man. The man was white in the face, and even from where he perched, he could see the trembling of his body.

After them came a dark-skinned man, forearms covered in blood. Calmly, the man had plunged his hands into a basin of water and began to wash up. Eadoin had only spared the dark-skinned man a glance before his attention was drawn, once again, to the dark-haired man behind the elf. He appeared to be of height with Arato, and they had the same dark hair... There was something about the way the man carried himself that reminded Eadoin of Arato. Perhaps they were related? He filed the information away for another use.

Glancing up at the sun, he judged it time to leave - it was nearly noon. Climbing back down the tree, he slithered through the underbrush back towards his horse, who was nervous from the screams. Vaulting onto her back, he nudged her in the ribs. As soon as he felt he was safe, he kicked her into a gallop, turning her back towards Imladris. The information he held was valueable.

The thought struck him a little bit before he left the forest. Drawing his bow and an arrow, he turned on the horse's back and shot an arrow into a tree to mark where he had been. Afterwards, he had bent close to his horse's neck and urged her on quietly.

----------

His eyes fell next on Morgai and he smiled pleasantly, “I’m famished, care to join me for lunch?” Di’shan grinned openly at the man, knowing his invitation would not be accepted, just as it had been declined the un-counted number of times previous to this one.

With a look of total disbelief and a disgusted glance to Di'shan's hand, Morgai wordlessly turned his back on the other man and walked hurriedly to his own tent. There was a basin of water outside his tent, so he knelt and studied his reflection.

His face was pale, and his eyes were slightly feverish. Looking to his hands, Morgai noticed they, like much of the rest of his body, were shaking. However, he was full of energy. Rising to his feet, he took his tack from inside his tent and readied his horse for a ride. Mounting, he left the camp and went for a ride iin the surrounding forest, hoping to work off some of the nervous energy that would hinder other activities later.

----------

"Aiden?" Arato called as he limped into the stables the next morning. He had been unable to find either brother, but he figured that the middle one would be in the stables. Sure enough, Aiden stepped from a stall, followed closely by the red head of a horse. The animal nibbled daintily on Aiden's hair and snorted in greeting to Arato.

"Her name's Carloth, I found out from the stablehands," Aiden announced, patting the horse on the neck. Arato limped down the row of stalls, as horses poked their heads out to look at him in curiousity.

"Carloth, mellon nin," Arato said, rubbing the red on her nose. She butted his shoulder. "I suppose I should apologize, so I'm sorry."

"Arato?" Aiden asked, feeling his brother's forehead. "Are you feeling alright?"

"I'm perfectly fine, just sore," the elder replied. He turned to the younger man. "Where's Eadoin?"

"Eadoin?" Aiden suddenly seemed very interested in the ceiling. "Haven't seen him since yesterday."

"What happened?"

"Nothing. I'm sure he's still around somewhere."

"Then where's his horse."

"In her stall."

"Tell that to the empty stall," Arato said, leaning on the closed door. "Where is he?"

"He rode out yesterday afternoon," Aiden said with a sigh. "I think he went off to search for Rolan and Narmion and Diablo. And before you ask me, did you really expect me to step out in front of a horse to stop him?"

"I suppose you're right," Arato sighed.

"All we can do is hope for the best. Perhaps he found something."

"Perhaps."

((I'll probably come back and edit this later, if I'm not happy with it. *sigh*))
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2006 03:16
OOc// Anyone know where Ondet is right now?

Diablo shrank back from the man's hand on his flank. He wasn't at all interested in seeing anyone at the moment. His horsey mind was still in a bit of shock and there was still hot blood coursing through his veins, screaming at him that he had done nothing to help his little boy-colt. The stallion drew away from Dirk, showing his teeth, but not attempting to bite the man at all. He just wanted to be left alone in his misery right now. He didn't want anyone or anything near him. Well, maybe one of those orc-things so he could pound in their skulls, but other than that, no one. The man didn't seem to get the message, though. He just came forward a few steps, and put his other hand on the horse as well. Diablo snorted and walked backward to the end of his tether. The man followed him, speaking in a slightly roughened voice that was pleasant to listen to. With a sigh, the black horse let his head droop. Right now he didn't feel up to fighting off the unwanted attentions of this man. He nosed the ground absently, shivering every once in awhile when the man's hands touched a sore spot on his body.

This wasn't right. Dirk let curses float around in his head as he examined the stallion. The horse was too thin, and the lack of spirit when before he had been so alive frightened him more than the ribs showing and the hollows on his flank. The horse was continually drawing away from him, but Dirk followed, even knowing the stallion wanted to be left alone. He wanted to see if the horse could be roused to more than a shadow of its former glory. He wanted to see if the proud beast would fight him. But no light shone in the horse's eyes as it regarded him. Those eyes were dead, devoid of any emotion whatsoever. Dirk shook his head. No, the horse wasn't dead yet, but its spirit surely was...

He'd seen enough. He turned and walked away, leaving the stallion to the solitude it so clearly desired. A few thoughts asked to be considered and he examined them but then dismissed them. After all, a horse's spirit couldn't break just because his owner was in distress, could it? No - no of course it couldn't. But still, he couldn't help but wonder if the inablility of the stallion to help the boy who looked like Jeth had had an effect on the horse at all.

He was vaguely aware of pain through his dream-haze. He was cold and hot at the same time, shivering though his skin was on fire. Rolan's breathing was labored, heavy and he didn't want to open his eyes. He could recall the terrifying look of the man Di'shan as he'd inflicted the tortures on him... Almost crying, the boy struggled to find a more comforable position than this, with his legs twisted at unnatural angles beneath him. With a gasp of pain, he finally managed to straighten himself out and the flood of pain lessened to just a deep, dull ache throughout his body. His throat was on fire from screaming. Experimentally he tried to call Narmion's name but no sound emerged at all. Still shivering, he curled up into a little ball in one corner of the tent and tried to fall back asleep, hoping for the darkness to enevelope his mind and never release him.
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2006 02:21
[OOC: Ethnocentrism!]

Istalë had had at least some more experience than Hanni when it came to jumping into a bath after a fight, and the first thing she did after removing her torn, soiled clothes was to take mental stock of what would probably hurt, where, and what majorly needed a good hard cleaning, although today it seemed like she would never be able to get the stench of putrid blood out of herself. The elleth bit her lower lip as the steaming water contacted the first of her raw wounds, but in the end the overwhelming need to get clean forced her to grit her teeth and submerse herself entirely in the bath, scrubbing obsessively-compulsively in an attempt to get rid of all the blood, grime, and perspiration that covered most of her.

But she could not afford to spend so much time in the bath – there were probably more tasks all lining up already, just waiting to be done, she thought to herself with more than a trace of bitterness. She rinsed the last of the soapsuds off into the water now swirling with red and black tendrils around her feet, and moved to the wardrobe. With a sigh Istalë selected yet another roughwear dress, a plain, single-piece affair of washed out green silk cotton, and a far cry from her preferred styles that were all elaborate and decorated and flowy. Those had long been regaled to the very back of her wardrobe, to remind herself that there was just about no time for such frivolities.

Try as she might, Istalë did not feel much like being productive for what little was left of the day. She could feel the emotional aftermath of the day’s labours finally creeping up on her as she let her guard down for a few moments. The elleth knew she should be going to see to Hanni, or at least making herself useful somewhere, seeing as how Imladris was stretched so badly right now, but instead found herself sinking onto the chaise lounge placed by the open picture window. From her room, facing out of the edge of a sheer cliff and a great rocky drop into the vale below, she had an excellent view of the valley and its surrounding mountain chain.

The sun was setting. But tonight, there was none of its usual brilliant splendour of gold infused with fiery reds and yellows and softened with streaks of lavender, a sunset that left the valley warm in the glow of the sun’s last rays suffused through a silver-tinted layer of cloud, the resident bird populations all the while trilling and serenading as they sought their roosts for the night. Instead, the sun seemed to go out like an already dim candle suddenly snuffed, plunging the world into shadows of deep crimson and black haze. An ominous silence fell over the vale; it seemed even Rivendell’s usual activity was muted, subdued. Was this the way they were going to end, too? Istalë felt fear, deep rooted and ice cold, stealing through her very being. The strain of battle, of the whole situation, of how everything was getting just so drawn out and tiring, was beginning to tell on her, and not for the first time she lamented her own uselessness. There had been many times already when she felt like some ant on a soggy leaf being swept through white water, headed for imminent disaster on some distant waterfall, and there was nothing she could do about it.

As the sun’s dying light disappeared over the tops of the Misty Mountains she finally surrendered to the sense of dread that waited in the darkest corners of her mind to claim her, and for the first time in a long, long while, Istalë curled up into herself and willingly let the tears flow.
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 13, 2006 04:11
((The Return of Amata... It's great to be back! And I'm sorry if this post is a little scrappy - I only spent about 15 mins on it..))

A horse picked its way through the forest, taking broken and fallen branches in its stride as the rider hastened on her way. Amata's pale face was marked with scratches from an unusually dense thicked she hadn't skirted around. Perhaps the most direct route wasn't always best, she now mused with a black scowl upon her face, but she was renowned in her Rohan village for charging through things head-first - whether metaphorically or literally, it didn't matter.

But Amata was concerned. As as had headed up through Eriador with the intention of making for Bree, she had hidden from all news of Rivendell. After promising her friends and companions that she would return to them after a short spell in Rohan, she had vowed personally to herself never to set foot in the place again. It was too risky - what with her brother there to cause strife, and with Narmion...
Amata was not romantic, and casting her mind back, she wondered if she'd already made up her mind to leave from the very moment she'd tripped over Narmion in the peaceful woods of Rivendell.

However, as she had travelled, startling and distrubing rumours had gradually trickled through to her unwilling ears, and these rumours seemed to be backed up by the peculiar increase of goblin bands and raids she had crossed paths with. Her frown deepened as she remembered numerous skirmishes in which she had both fought and fled.

But now, she was speeding towards Rivendell, worry gnawing at her soul. Could the stories about the death toll really be true? She didn't care an ounce about her brother Faeringil, but her thoughts repeatedly turned to her old companions.

Suddenly the trees before her seemed to thin, and her stallion plunged forwards in an unexpected burst of speed. However, before a single curse could pass her lips, she caught sight of movement from the corner of her eye. Hooves seemed to fly through the air as a collision was unavoidable, and as Amata found herself rolling onto the muddy ground, she groped for her bow and raised it to defend herself from this new enemy.

But her eyes widened in shock, and feeling as if all breath had been knocked out of her body, she gasped. "Eadoin!"
Scrambling to her feet, she wiped her filthy hands on her tunic and stared up at Eadoin, wondering if she should believe her eyes or not. Somehow, he looked different to how she remembered him. "Eadoin, please... tell me of the others. I heard rumours, terrible rumours. Tell me they're not true... about Lord Elrond." Her chestnut eyes were raised to his, pleading with him and willing him to deny the rumours. Thoughts racing from the supposed tale of Elrond, she continued, "what of Glyndr and Lalaith? Your brothers and Rolan? And... Narmion?"

[Edited on 13/5/2006 by anduril269]
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2006 05:37
“So Nethraueth, tamer of wild horses, you do have a past?” Glyndr leant back against Sylstar’s stall door as he watched the elleth leave.

“So, mistress of many battles, you think you can tame me as you have my stallion?” The self assured, arrogant Captain’s cold gaze watched her unfalteringly until she was out of sight. “ You think yourself capable to even land a single blow? Well, we shall see my feisty female. Tomorrow we shall see, and I shall find out exactly your true skills”.

The Captain spent some time with Sylstar. He was very concerned for the stallion.
The horse was exhausted he needed rest.

“As do we all my lad”, Glyndr , rested his head against the stallions shoulder, “We all need to gain time to recover, Yet I must search for what few new recruits I can find amongst those that remain here in Imladris.
So many lost in the last battle, and so few to replace them”.

The Elf Captain sighed , he ran his hand the length of the horse’s back as he left the stall, “And so little time. The enemy waits for no one”.

Glyndr walked slowly across the courtyard towards the chambers he shared with Lalaith.
He suddenly felt very tired; he looked up at the windows, a candle still burned there.

“Lalaith”, he smiled , He knew that she would be waiting for him, her warmth and love would drive all thoughts of battle, all worries from him.

Glyndr opened the door quietly, and walked silently to stand behind her where she sat. .
She had been reading, her book lay open still on her lap.
Suddenly, she became aware of him there as she looked up into the arched mirror, his eyes met hers in the mirrored glass.

“Lalaith my love”, Glyndr leant; he brushed back her hair, and kissed the back of her neck softly.
“Come to me, let these few hours of darkness be ours alone”.
He took her hand in his, “ Come Lalaith, let us be together, forget the world and the evil outside. Now is ours”.

The Captain watched as the pale ethereal light of a pink dawn crept slowly across the walls of the room.
He lay on his back, the warm closeness of Lalaith entwined at his side.
The Captain had not felt such calm, as in his wife’s love and warmth.
Yet , he knew once again he had to leave her.

Glyndr slid carefully from beside her, so as not to wake her.
He washed, and dressed, then went to sit on the edge of the bed.

“ Lalaith,” he stroked her face tenderly, and kissed her, “ I must go now, but only to the watchroom, and to tend to military matters”.

He smiled, she looked so delicate, so beautiful in her half waking. Glyndr loved her beyond life itself.

“ Come to meet me later if you have the time, about midday? Perhaps we could walk together for a while, as we used to do?”

The Captain left with one last glance as he closed the door.
He walked across the courtyard towards the watchroom. He still felt tired, although the night’s rest had had some effect.
His wounds felt sore, and his back still a little uncomfortable. Glyndr knew for certain that the patrol would be going nowhere for a while.

“Captain”, the eager voice of Telryn stopped him as the young soldier ran to his side.
“ The soldiers are asking , what do we do now?” Telryn tried to bow and stop at the same time, and only just succeeded in not falling flat on his face.

The ice Captain fixed the soldier with his infamous , viper’s paralysing stare. “Soldier”, he began , his voice as venomous as his glare, “ We wait, we recover our strength, whilst we plan”.

Glyndr tossed his hair back in his usual arrogant way, “ I need to recruit as many as is possible”, He looked closely at Telryn.

“Soldier, I leave that task to you, have all those willing, report to the watchroom late this afternoon,” Glyndr paused , “ There is also the problem of the rescue of Narmion, the brat Rolan , and that animal, We all must meet to decide who is to go, and how. Organise a meeting “.

“Yes Captain” Telryn bowed again,”Of course..I”, he began, his attention taken by a striking elleth he had not noticed before.
“Who is that?” He asked without thinking.

“That is my latest recruit”, Glyndr’s cold gaze moved from Telryn to Nethraueth.

“Soldier, go, do as I command”, Glyndr dismissed a bemused Telryn and swept towards Nethraueth.

“Well , tamer of demons,” the Captain looked at her with a cold light in ice blue eyes.
“Prove your worth with sword and bow, and I shall have those truths of your past you promised”.

[Edited on 13/5/2006 by elflyn]
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2006 09:11
Eadoin hadn't had any time to reign in his mare before he had collided soundly with another rider. Twining a hand into his horse's mane, he had barely managed to keep his seat as he reached for a long knife he kept on his belt. Seeing who it was on the ground, his own eyes widened in shock.

"Amata?" Eadoin asked, putting the knife away and sliding from his horse to make sure she was okay. "It's been months since we saw you! Are you well? We were all worried about you!" He put his hands on her shoulders to make sure she was actually real. "You're not hurt from that tumble, are you? I should have been watching where I was going!"

"Eadoin, please... tell me of the others. I heard rumours, terrible rumours. Tell me they're not true... about Lord Elrond." Her chestnut eyes were raised to his, pleading with him and willing him to deny the rumours. Thoughts racing from the supposed tale of Elrond, she continued, "what of Glyndr and Lalaith? Your brothers and Rolan? And... Narmion?"

"I... er... well..." Eadoin stumbled for words. He knew he should tell her what had happened, but he didn't want to see her get upset. "The rumors about Lord Elrond being dead are true. He died 4 months ago. Lord Elrohir is... well, he's not exactly completely sane. Lord Elladan is blind, so the ruling of Imladris falls on Arianna, who's struggling with it. Lalaith is fine, if a bit sad. I haven't seen much of her since the battle, as she tends to keep to herself. Captain Glyndr is mostly uninjured, if angry at our attackers. Arato lost a finger, and recently had his leg opened up, but he's alive. Aiden's well, but..."

Eadoin faltered for a moment, hearing the screams again in his head. He mounted up and waited for Amata to do the same. "Rolan and Narmion were captured in the most recent patrol that went out. They were tortured, I think, for information. I'm not sure how they are, since I wasn't able to see them..." He trailed off.

"Mount up. We've got to get back to Imladris, because I know where they are. We need to get them out of there as soon as possible!"

----------

As Arato and Aiden cared for the Carloth, Arato was still tossing Glyndr's offer to become his second around in his head. He looked at his brother over the horse's back, and met Aiden's eyes.

"What's wrong?" Aiden asked, having been watching his brother for several minutes. "You've got something on your mind."

"Captain Glyndr offered me the position as his second in command," Arato replied. "I want to take it because it means that I can help more with the defenses. But at the same time, I don't want to take it because I know you and Eadoin will worry too much about me!"

"Arato," Aiden said with a sigh, reaching across the back of the horse to clasp his brother's shoulder, "even if you didn't take the command, we'd be worried about you. But you've got to take the command. Glyndr needs someone like you at his side on the battlefield. Even as much as it sounds weird to say this, Glyndr needs to be looked after."

"Glyndr?" Arato asked in surprise. Aiden nodded sagely.

"He looks out for and tries to protect his soldiers. Who's he got to look after and protect him?" Aiden scratched his scars. "He's the only one who's really had a command in wartime. He knows what he's doing. We don't. We need him, because without him, we're lost."

"But I don't want to worry you!"

"We'll be alright, Arato."

"I still need to think about it."

"Then think about it."

((*sigh* Not my best post, but that's only because I've been having some ADD moments with my new retainer.))
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 13, 2006 10:29
Lalaith had been reading for what seemed several hours; she’d finally actually started paying attention to the words on the page and gotten drawn into the volume. It was one way, at least, to forget all of the sorrows hovering over Imladris. So caught up in the story was she, in fact, that she never noticed the door opening, and her most beloved husband entering their chamber. Finally she became aware of his presence, and she lifted her eyes to the mirror and smiled softly to see him standing behind her.

“Lalaith my love”, Glyndr leant; he brushed back her hair, and kissed the back of her neck softly.
“Come to me, let these few hours of darkness be ours alone”.
He took her hand in his, “ Come Lalaith, let us be together, forget the world and the evil outside. Now is ours”.

Glyndr’s kiss made her tingle from head to toe, and without speaking Lalaith set aside the book from her lap and stood to bury her face against his chest, seeking comfort for herself in the circle of his strong arms. Pulling back just a bit she caressed his cheek and idly let her fingers tangle in his dark hair. She admired how the flickering candlelight danced over his features and made his handsome face glow. So blessed, the Lalaith thought, she was *so* blessed to have found him amidst her grief.
“I love you, Captain,” she sighed, gazing into his eyes, and then drew his face down for a deep and tender kiss.

She’d been sleeping peacefully, dreaming of only pleasant things for the first time in a long time, when Glyndr’s voice woke her, and his fingers on her cheek. Almost just as she opened her eyes his lips touched hers (which she returned happily), and then she gave him a muzzy smile. Lalaith was certainly ready to pull him down beside her for another morning kiss, but he explained that he had to leave. Of course. Only to the watchroom, he said, but that was little comfort. She wanted to go with him, but it was no place for her.

“ Come to meet me later if you have the time, about midday? Perhaps we could walk together for a while, as we used to do?”

“I will,” she responded, and offered him another smile as he left. After the door clicked shut she sighed and lay back down on the pillow, stretching luxuriously and trying not to think about the fact that there was work to be done. The day before she’d done mostly nothing but worry and fret until the patrol returned, and then she’d given all of her time to her husband. She simply couldn’t stay here and laze about any longer- there was too much to do. Eventually she did get up, now thinking morosely of Rolan, and Diablo, and Narmion as she bathed and pulled on a simple green dress. She’d come to know all of her husband’s friends well- though he sometimes referred to them as anything but friends (and she knew better). She hated to think of what horrors they were facing- if they were even alive…

Before long she headed out and to the place where the wounded waited. The morning wore away as she joined in helping tend their hurts, and inwardly being thankful that Glyndr was able to be up and about instead of grievously wounded and bedridden…

------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Narmion woke it was with the sensation of floating up from deep water; he couldn’t see, he couldn’t breathe, and any thoughts he had were first overridden by the pain singing throughout his body. How long he’d been unconscious he didn’t know, but throughout that time there had been nothing to keep the pressure of the leather strap from his throat and jaw, and his head was pounding from the force of it. Worse than that, though- and worse than the leg, or his back, or the dagger wounds on his chest and side, was the shoulder. It throbbed unmercifully, sending a blinding pain all the way down his left arm and half-way across his chest. If the limb hadn’t been useless before, it certainly was now… though, what did it matter? Both he and Rolan would probably be dead in a matter of hours- and that despairing thought entered his muddled mind quite clearly.

The elf was almost afraid to open his eyes, but he forced himself to do so. He couldn’t see much of anything- his vision was clouded, and of course he couldn’t raise his hands to rub his bleary eyes. Vaguely he could tell that the tormentor was not present- and he shuddered involuntarily at the awful memories that came to him, unable to find relief in Di’Shan’s absence… the smell of burning flesh where their ‘wounds’ had been cauterized still lingered in the air, making a stinging bile rise in his parched throat.

Narmion wanted to check on Rolan. He remembered well what had been threatened when he’d spat in Di’Shan’s face- and now he felt foolish, for his action would only bring more suffering to the child. What the boy had already endured had been terrible. Drawing a ragged breath the captive attempted to push himself up so he could take some of the painful pressure away from his already-raw throat and avert his eyes to where the boy lay. His legs wouldn’t cooperate- having his ankles bound, and sitting in such an awkward position for so long had put both legs to sleep- they were almost completely numb!

He could see the child, though, if he strained hard enough. He’d managed to move himself into a more comfortable position- if comfortable it could be called. Less painful, perhaps- but Rolan was unmoving. The elf felt his insides twist when he heard movement outside the tent, over the awful pounding in his ears. His fear couldn’t be denied- what if the harad man was returning to inflict more pain upon them? Surprising even himself, Narmion wished for death- for, in his despairing mind there would be no other escape from the nightmare they’d fallen into.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delvan had heard the screams, of course- they’d woken him from his nap rudely. He’d cursed Di’Shan for not waiting until later, but for now he was content to lie awake (with his trusty flask) and listen to the pain-filled cries of first the boy-captive, and then the elf. Well, the child had come to some use, at least- the resident “information gatherer” was obviously enjoying himself. The Gondorian soldier had no desire for torture, though; his delight was in battle, a few moments of utter fear and pain, broken bones, brute strength—his bloodlust was on the battlefield. But he wouldn’t begrudge the harad fellow his fun. The sooner they had all they needed to know, the sooner Delvan would see battle.

After the screams came to a stop he drained his flask and went back to sleep and had wonderful dreams of bloodletting.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Bellas stood in the smithy as he had for what seemed days on end, the familiar hammer in his hand as he worked to create yet another new sword. It was tiring work, and his muscles were sore- but now there was always the need for new swords, or new armor. He’d been at work on this one through the night, and finally it was coming close to completion. Lifting the hot steel he placed it in the quenching pot and let it sit, stepping back and grabbing a rag to wipe the sweat from his face. Sighing, he turned and left his smithy, deciding that he was in desperate need of a few things- and a bath not the least of them.

Thus far he’d not joined any of the patrols, his skills being to valuable (one of the very few left in Rivendell who could forge weaponry). He’d spoken with Glyndr a few times in order to repair his blade, but he didn’t know the Captain well. After the elven smith had bathed and was scouting out something to eat he decided to go to the watchroom. If anyone was meeting there now he could tally up the armor and weapons needed, and see if any repairs were required. What he found, however, was the cold-faced Captain and an elleth he thought he recognized. She and Glyndr were glaring at eachother, but that didn’t stop Bellas from entering.

“Captain,” he greeted Glyndr, “I’m here to take a tally on the amour and weaponry….” he then looked to the elleth, and recalled her name. “Nethraueth?”

(eeermgh. I hope its ok that my blacksmith recognizes your charrie from somewhere, Iell yall feel free to chase him away… )

[Edited on 13/5/2006 by dreamdancer]
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2006 02:37
In his hyper-alert state, Rolan heard tiny noises that normally he would never have been able to hear. With each one he froze, praying that it wasn't Di'shan, returning to continue his games. Only when the noises changed slightly did he dare to lift his head. The breathing pattern which had been short and thin, marked by the Elf's position while unconcious, had changed slightly. Rolan lifted his head up so quickly it spun and the room swam before his eyes. He would have shaken his head to clear it, but knew that it would only make the pounding worse. Instead he rolled onto his stomach and inched over to Narmion, seeing the open eyes of the Elf.

He couldn't talk - his voice was no more, but it hardly mattered. Narmion knew what a hopeless cause this was. He knew as well as Rolan that there really was no way they could escape this place alive. However, the boy told that knowing part of himself to take a long walk for now. He was alive and so was Narmion. And - still he held the barest flicker of light - someone might yet come to get them. To rescue them. It was possible...wasn't it?

Rolan turned his back to Narmion and pulled his protesting body into a sitting position. Scooting back, he found the knot Di'shan had tied, the one keeping the poor Elven warrior in torment. With his wrists pressed together in such an ackward position by the rawhide, it was really difficult to get a decent grip on the rope, but after a few false tries Rolan managed. He tried to tell Narmion to brace himself when the support gave out, but his voice still refused to work. The knot came undone and the Elf fell into a heap ungracefully when it came apart.

If his hands hadn't been tied and he hadn't been so bone tired, Rolan might have rushed over to Narmion to check him, to see if he was okay. Instead, he had to content himself with half-pushing, half-wriggling his way back to the Elf.

When Rolan got a good look at what had been done to Narmion, he was glad he hadn't been concious for it. An ugly burn/scar adorned his left shoulder, undoubtedly causing him agony still. He made a half-choked sound, then froze as the sound of someone walking closer sounded ominously.

Ari stared dully out the window. It had been a day since Eadoin had left the armoury so suddenly. She no longer really cared about anything. Let Elladan and Elrohir attempt to run Imladris on their own. Right now she was beyond caring about it. All she wanted was to be left alone. Just alone so she could reflect on everything she had done wrong and all the terrible things that had happened as a result.

So absorbed was she in self-loathing and despair that she didn't hear the soft knock at the door and then the creaking when the door opened. All Arianna knew was that one moment she was looking at the clouds but not seeing them, and then the next there was a person blocking her view. She shook her head slightly, and pulled the back of her hand roughly across her eyes before looking at her visitor.

It was Elrohir. He wasn't looking at her. After a moment of studying his face, Ari knew that. She also could guess his eyes were fixed slightly above her head, so he was studying the mantlepiece instead of her face. Angry without really knowing why she was, Ari stood up and demanded, "What do you want?" She wasn't bothered enough to use the customary 'Lord' or even the informality of his name. She really didn't care what he wanted. She just wanted to be alone with all her mistakes. Maybe time would show her a cure for them.

Elrohir had started slightly when he heard the unconcealed emotion in Ari's voice. It surprised him. He'd always assumed that Ari was always a calm, level-headed Elf. Wrong again, he told himself. You must learn not to judge so quickly, even one you have known over millenia. They are not always as they seem.

"Ari," he faltered. "I - I, that is to say we..." he trailed off at the cold look she fixed him with. No one had told him asking for advice could be so difficult, the Elven lord reflected wryly. If he'd known, he might have skipped the visit and made up a story. He was good at that. Not at much else besides that, but everyone had certain talents...

"What do you want?" Ari repeated. The frost in her voice was enough to put a skin of ice over a cup of water. Inadverdantly Elrohir backed up a pace when confronted with that voice. Did he really want to stay any longer? No, but we need the answer or we'll have a bigger mess than the one we're in right now. So ask. Ask, you thrice-cursed fool!

"Ari - they want to know," Elrohir burst out. "They want to know when you're going to send a rescue party for the three left behind."

Left behind? Left as if they were extra pieces of baggage? Ari was appalled at the very idea behind the thought. As much as she wanted to tell Elrohir that they should send out a rescue party immediately, she knew that unless the troops had time to rebuild morale, there would be no successful rescue. More, probably would end up caught like Rolan, Narmion and Diablo were.

Though why we include the horse as captured when he might very well have stayed just to keep an eye on the other two is beyond me...

"No one's going out to look for them," she snapped. Seeing Elrohir's hurt look, she added more gently, "We need a time for rest, my lord. They need it. We have nothing if the soldiers fighting for Imaldris do not believe we have a chance. If they do not believe, then our walls will fall. We were founded on belief, and that belief is the only thing keeping us going now, my lord Elrohir.

"Now I think it is time for you to leave. Give my greetings to your brother, please. I have things to attend to." She ushered him from her room and after the door closed swallowed the tears that were welling in her eyes once again. It wouldn't do for her to cry anymore. Her mother's words about tears lept to her mind and she whispered them. Though her voice shook, the tears still did not fall and she felt a little better.

"Tears add salt to the ocean, salt you must cross on your final journey home. Do not cry for it makes your journey harder."

Dirk wandered aimlessly through the camp, kicking rocks and glowering at orcs. Once or twice he wandered by Di'shan's tent, keeping a reasonable distance. He couldn't hear anything inside. That worried him...

Once more he made his rounds around the camp, wondering idly what would happen if he just walked off for a day. With that half-formed idea still in his head he began to make his way towards the string of horses when he was intercepted by Ondet. The Elf seemed to have appeared from out of nowhere, though Dirk knew the Elf had probably been following him. Ondet had a very twisted sense of what was funny and what wasn't. Maybe he'd done the hunter-thing just for something a little out of the ordinary. Whatever it was, Dirk held his peace, waiting for the Elf to say something. Strangely enough, he didn't speak at first, just fell into step beside the Rohirrim man. It made Dirk incredibly edgy, like he was being escorted to a trial, or something. Finally, when he thought he'd crack from the stress of having the Elf so close to him, Ondet started speaking.

It was amazing how many different tones the Elf had. He could say one word and have it convey so many different meanings just depending on the tone of voice he used when saying it. That didn't even include all the facial expressions he used at times, either. Truly, it boggled the imagination.

"Dirk," Ondet said, a half-smile pulling at his lips. "You've been by that horse, haven't you?" His tone was mild, pleasant, even. It scared Dirk. He knew Ondet was not pleased, and only a mad person could sound so genuinely friendly when they were contemplating murder.

"Yes, I was," Dirk replied shortly. He wondered briefly if Ondet would hit him or something for his insolence. His brain caught up with him and immediately he began wishing that that would be all the Elf would think of doing. Horse Lords, don't let that have made him mad...

"I told you to stay away from it, did I not?"

"Yes," Dirk said, pausing a split second before adding, "Master."

Ondet chuckled. "You seem to constantly break rules I have set down. Does it seem like fun to you to push the boundaries I have set to their limits? Perhaps I would do well to remind you just who is in charge here. Maybe send Di'shan to pay a visit to your lovely family?"

Dirk blanched. This was it, what he'd dreaded hearing. Horse Lords, no! his mind screamed.

Ondet must have seen his expression for he laughed. Dirk felt repulsed at the very sound. Someone so twisted shouldn't have a laugh that normal sounding. "I don't think I will send Di'shan off quite yet, but be aware that if you do refuse to toe the line, I shall. In the meantime, do deliver a message for me, would you?"

Dirk nodded mutely.

"Good. Tell Di'shan that if he can get some information regarding Imladris' security tonight, he can have that horse you seemed so keen on." A twisted smile lingered at the edge of Ondet's lips as he walked away from Dirk.

It didn't take too long to find Di'shan and deliver the message. Before the other man could begin to look pleased, Dirk had absented himself and hidden in his tent. Life felt like too much of a burden at the moment. He wanted to sleep. There wasn't any ale in the camp at all, so sleep was the next best thing. Thankfully it came quickly.
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 14, 2006 03:17
When Eadoin finished speaking, Amata stood stock-still, hearing nothing but her own heavy breathing. Elrond dead, Elladan blind, Elrohir’s mind damaged… Her ears ringing with Eadoin’s final words, she stumbled towards her horse and awkwardly climbed back into the sadle. Rolan and Narmion. Tortured. Her gaze drifted to Eadoin’s face. No wonder he looked different.
Together they spurred their horses into a gallop, hastening towards Rivendell.
“I should never have left,” Amata said half to herself. “I might have been able to make a difference… I promised to return.” She glanced towards Eadoin. “I promised you I would return, but I never intended to. I’m so sorry it had to happen this way. But at least now I can help. We shall rescue them.” Her eyes suddenly clouded with unshed tears, and she dashed the rough back of her hand across her face.

((Sorry it's short - I'll probably only be able to manage little posts like these until after the exams ))
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2006 04:55
"'S Narmion, isn't it?" Eadoin asked as they gallped down the path. The land was becoming more familiar to him as they went. "You're worried about him." He spared a glance at Amata's face as he ducked underneath a low-hanging branch. "We're definitely going to get them out of there, Amata. Glyndr values Narmion as one of his closest friends... at least, that's what I gather. The Captain won't leave him there once he's heard what's happened."

((GACK! Short, I'm sorry! *grovels for forgiveness* I don't know what to do with everyone else at this point, so I'll wait to post them.))
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2006 07:51
A very short time after Glyndr had left the stables, Sylstar became very restless.
The highly strung stallion hated confinement, like his master Glyndr , the spirited animal craved freedom.

The stallion snorted and tossed his head, pawing at the ground with a fore hoof, and pacing the stall.
Glyndr ensured his precious warhorse was always kept in peak condition; Sylstar had already begun to recover his strength.
He wanted out.

“Steady Sylstar”, one of the lads called from where he was tacking up a large Palomino stallion with the distinctive silver and black battle harness of the Kellquenti guard. Captain Glyndr’s original, ill-fated regiment.

Glyndr had kept the old harness with its emerald dragon with a ruby eye emblazoned on the breastplate. Sylstar still always wore it in battle. Glyndr kept it in remembrance of his brave section of Kellquenti warriors of which only he survived.
Sylstar wore the same emblem as a coloured brand on his shoulder, identifying the animal as the warhorse of a leader in the Kellquenti Elven Guard.

The Captain had chosen the Palomino to replace Sylstar for as long as the stallion needed to recover fully.
He would be trying the animal out later that day.

Sylstar lunged at the Palomino as the lad led the stallion past the silver grey’s stall.
He squealed in rage as he gripped the Palomino by the neck.
The golden stallion reared, and fought back. It took six terrified lads to separate them and lead the Palomino to safety.

Sylstar plunged and reared, kicking out at the stable walls, and throwing himself at the door.
“Open the door!” the head lad shouted, “Open it before the mad animal kills itself!”.
Another, more braver lad , slid the latch, and threw himself backwards as a silver grey demon bolted for freedom.

Sylstar flew across the courtyard and out along the road, mud and stones flying from beneath his hooves.
The stallion moved like liquid quicksilver , The freedom of the air was his.

After a while he slowed to a steady canter, then to a walk, He had run for quite a distance.

Suddenly he froze , his perfect head held high, ears pricked as he scented the air.
Humans.
And scents he knew well , one he recognised as the stallion he had met so long ago. Diablo.

Sylstar snorted in disgust at the scent of humans, he pawed the ground , ears flat against his skull.
The stallion’s battle training, and natural instinctive hatred of humans grew fiercer in him now.

The grey moved quietly , at an easy walk.
Following the familiar scent, he found himself on the edge of a camp.

The black stallion he saw trapped there, resembled a mere ghost of the Diablo he knew, a pale image of the powerful horse .

Sylstar nickered softly in greeting to Diablo. He waited, ears swivelling to catch any sound of human or enemy, his powerful muscles tense, ready to bolt at the slightest hint of danger.

Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2006 10:45
“Captain,” he greeted Glyndr, “I’m here to take a tally on the amour and weaponry….” he then looked to the elleth, and recalled her name. “Nethraueth?”

"Hello, Bellas. Long time." She half-smiled at him. "I am glad to see you are still working your forge." Her arms folded, she said, almost as an afterthought, "Your handiwork is always exceptional. The armour you made my brothers lasted a long while. Unfortunately, not long enough."
A smirk appeared for a split second and then her face went blank. She stared at the smith for a moment, and then she said, "The armour served them well. You should be proud."

Nethraueth turned and looked at Captain Glyndr. "So, I assume you have somewhere for us to spar in mind? Mind you, I will not shy away from fighting you, Captain or not. An opponent is an opponent, regardless of rank."

Several of the stable boys came running to the door to tell Glyndr Sylstar had attacked the Palomino and then bolted, and Neth refolded her arms across her chest and said, "Well, what now, my Captain?"
otterling
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2006 05:16
((OOC: Blarg. It is late but I managed to work up a post. I hated being gone so long but I hope I have caught my charries back up nicely.))

It had taken an hour for Hanni to convince herself she would not need to wear a full suit of armor while she wandered around Rivendell. The dwarf had repeatedly taken it off and put it back on as her mind replayed the day’s events. Each time she managed to put it back down, the wind would rustle through the trees and a little spark of nervous energy would work its way up her spine, reminding her how unfortified this place was. As far as Hanni could tell, the building had more holes than a wheel of cheese and she saw orcs lurking in every shadow. Finally good sense, along with the pain in her behind, won out and Hanni set the armor as gently as she could onto the foot of the bed, opting to simply wander about in her leather jerkins and breeches. Having no other clothes to change into, Hanni slipped out into the hallway determined to find Istale and, hopefully, get a sewing kit, as each step sent a nice breeze across her rump to remind her of the slash that had been rent in her britches. Hanni could just see the look of abject humiliation on her father’s face if he discovered she had gone to see the leader of the elves with one cheek exposed, and the thought spurred her further down the hall.

After checking a few doors, Hanni hear the soft faint sounds of what almost sounded like a bird in distress. When she approached, she found that the soft cries were coming from a door just down the hall where a sliver of light indicated someone was in occupation at that moment. Hanni placed her hand on the wisp of a doorknob and ever so gently she pushed it open. The door swung inward without a sound and revealed another luscious room filled with delicate carvings and rich fabrics. In a small chaise by the balcony, the tiny lithe figure of Istale was curled up, her shoulders bobbing ever so slightly in the meager light of dusk. She was crying. Hanni lowered her eyes and her head, moved for the pain the poor thing was obviously enduring. The battle had been harsh, far worse than anything the dwarf had yet faced but it was not her friends or kinsmen that had died at the hands of foul beasts. Hanni would not grieve for the loss of the elvish warriors the way this young woman would. Somewhere beneath the three inches of calluses that wrapped the hearts of most dwarven kind, Hanni felt something pull at her. She barely knew this slip of a creature, this tiny frail elf woman, and yet Hanni wanted so much to say something that would ease her heartbreak. Pretty words and comfort were not something Hanni was used to, however, and she doubted the elf would appreciate a swift punch in the arm, as most dwarves would when feeling down.

Hanni slid the door shut with a tiny click and shuffled off down the hall back towards the main buildings, the rip in her pants all but forgotten. Too many things raced through her mind as she mulled over all that had happened and all that would yet come to pass. Certainly the elves needed help, that much anyone could see, and her people had sent her specifically to determine just that…the only problem now was where she should go next. Do I talk to thier leader and simply head back out tomorrow?, Hanni thought, It took more than a week to get here on foot and from the looks of things, they simply don’t have that long left. Help would not get here in time if they do not head out soon. Hanni bit her bottom lip and scratched her sideburns. There had to be something she could do. Perhaps the elves would have another form of contact, they just didn’t know who to go to. Hanni’s head snapped up and she quickened her pace down the hall. She hadn’t been introduced to anyone! Of course they didn’t know she was here! Perhaps all the elves needed was to know that the dwarves would offer aid, then they could send a message to the Great Hall and the dwarves would come pouring out to help.

Hanni spent a good hour searching the castle and earning many odd looks but got no where very quickly. She could not for the life of her find the leader of the elves (though she had much better luck finding a sewing kit) and eventually Hanni made her way back to her flamboyant room. The screams of her muscles and the cloud forming in her brain told her that it was time for sleep at any rate and that the leader would most likely not be too pleased at her interruption at this hour anyway. Hanni laid her hammer on one of the pillows and arranged her armor so as to be as easily accessible as possible. Despite a little bit of nervousness at her new sleeping arrangements, Hanni eventually drifted off to sleep.

Morning found its way, bright and clear into Hannalisa’s room. The sunlight ran long golden fingers over the tiny details of the magnificent housing, caressing the fine craftsmanship of every piece of furniture until it settled at last on the lump of covers sprawled out across the bed. A deep guttural rumbling, like someone rolling a boulder down a hill, sounded from beneath a pile of blankets and one chubby little hand still gripped the hilt of a massive war hammer. The hammer lay on one pillow, glinting in the sunlight, but it alone was the only thing still unmoved. The covers had mostly been pulled and moved until they were half off the bed, the armor had fallen onto the floor at some point during the night, and the left arm of the bed’s occupant was dangling awkwardly off the mattress. The sun did it’s best to pierce the thin sheets covering Hanni’s eyes and eventually she managed a half hearted grunt at it. Two whole weeks at the surface so far and Hannalisa still couldn’t fathom how in the world anyone could stand being woken by copious amounts of light being forced through their eyelids. For what would not be the last time, she longed to be woken by the gentle swing of hammers on the forges.

Hanni fell out of the bed and shoved on her clothes and armor, the latter of which earned a protest from every screaming muscle she owned. The loud thump of boots preceded her out of her room and she moved off down the many halls to see about finding the leader of this place. That noble thought was once again cut short, this time by the tempting smells of food which wafted down from the kitchens. Hanni followed her nose and came to a large set of doors which she promptly pushed open. Several elvish women stopped dead in their tracks when finding themselves suddenly faced with a dwarf in their midst but Hanni ignored them entirely, instead heading straight for a table where the cooks had laid out several serving plates with copper covers. Her progress was halted as one of the women stepped forward nervously and placed herself between the dwarf and the food. “All due respect,” she began hesitantly, “but may we help you?” Hanni pulled up short and stared at the obstacle now between her and breakfast, contemplating how someone could ask such a silly question. “No, I can help myself,” she grumbled as pleasantly as she could on an empty stomach, “I’m just getting a touch of breakfast before I head out.”

The elvish women all glanced at one another and the leader spoke up once more, “I’m sorry master Dwarf but breakfast has been over for some hours now. This is the beginnings of lunch. I assure you we will have it on the table soon enough and we will call everyone to eat at that time.” Her tone was friendly if a bit confused and she spoke to Hanni as one talking to a wayward child. Hannalisa huffed unhappily and headed back out of the kitchens. Lunch indeed. It suddenly seemed perfectly elf like to be up at dawn and eating before the day had really even begun. Hanni snorted and shuffled off down the hall once more. After a few minutes spent wandering aimlessly, Hanni recognized the voice of the icy elf captain, whose party she had stumbled into, emanating from one large set of doors to her left. She headed straight for it in the hopes that he could point her to Lord Elrond so she could get this whole ordeal over with. It was high time she delivered her message of peace and friendship and then got out of there and back to the forges where she belonged. Hanni marched up and pushed the doors open without preamble. There in the center of the room stood Glndyr and a beautiful elf woman, both looking fully prepared for battle, as well as a young stable boy who was very out of breath and a tall elvish man in the ever so familiar smock which marked him as a blacksmith. Hanni took to this last figure right away as an elf after her own heart. The smell of the hot iron and coals still clung to him like sweat and it was all Hanni could do not to just rush over and hug him. It seemed like forever since she had smelled those reminders of home and the song of the mountain called ever more loudly in her heart.

Hanni offered him a particularly warm smile and suddenly her mood was lifted considerably. “Not interrupting anything, am I?” she asked jovially.

----------------------------------------***********************---------------------------------

Di-shan had spent the day soaking in the after effects of his little play session in the camp. Everywhere he went, orcs shied away or cringed involuntarily. Several of them offered him congratulatory nods on his most recent symphony of pain and a few comments of “When do we get our turn?” were tossed about jokingly. It was well known that Di’shan’s temperament would be much warmer and friendlier to everyone else now that he’d gotten a taste of his favorite medicine. Di’shan rarely harmed the rest of the camp immediately after a session of torment and more than just a few sighs of relief were released when the screams were over, signifying a few uneasy moments of peace. Di’shan had sat down near one of the fires and had eaten some of the better food they had to offer, his eyes locking every now and then onto the drifting form of Dirk as the other man wandered about the site, moving in and out of Di’shan’s vision. It was only after the whole afternoon had worn away that Dirk finally approached him, his face pale and drawn, with word from Ondet.

A grin spread across Di’shan’s face as he was given some of the best news he had received thus far. He was to be given the horse, that magnificent animal, just so long as he gained some information from the captives. Tonight, Di’shan would revel in tormenting that forsaken elf and when morning came, he would be rewarded with a mount truly worthy of himself. Di’shan could hardly contain his own excitement. Had Dirk handed Di’shan his own child, the Harad man doubted he could be happier. Dirk, however, did not seem thrilled at the news and he turned away quickly and disappeared once more in the direction of his own tent. Di’shan stood and swiftly moved back toward the center of the camp. As he neared his tent and the two orcs standing guard at its entrance, the large forlorn shape of Diablo caught Di’shan’s eye. The animal was tethered just outside Ondet’s tent, nosing the dirt at its feet. It seemed to have given up on fighting and was simply waiting for a fate it knew was coming. A horse with no spirit did Di’shan little good but the vile man was always quite capable of getting a rise out of anyone. He stood just out of the animal’s considerable reach and whistled to it. The only acknowledgement he received was the twitching of one ear to signify the horse had heard him.

Di’shan smiled warmly and crossed his arms in front of him, “Tonight, you will listen to me rip every last scream I can find out of your master and his boy…and tomorrow, you will belong to me.” Di’shan watched the horse’s head come up and the dark brown eyes met his own. Di’shan could not imagine that the animal would belong to the child and had mistakenly associated Narmion as the master. It mattered little to him in the end, he would have even more fun this night and then horse would bear him into battle. Perhaps I will have Sahkar break him in for me, Di’shan mused with a crooked smile, For now though, let us see if his master’s cries will stir him to action once more.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 15, 2006 08:21
Narmion watched Rolan move about with half-closed eyes. It made his heart ache to see the boy inching forward on his stomach, and even through the pain Narmion’s elven ears could hear movement without the tent and the rasping breaths that Rolan drew. He was only half-aware of what his young companion was doing, though, still gripped in the agonizing vice-hold that his shoulder kept over the rest of his hurts. He found out soon enough when he was somehow released from the excruciating position in which he’d been for several hours. The pressure on his throat was suddenly gone, and he toppled onto the floor, landing nearly face-down with a grunt of pain. When he hit with the floor tears came to his eyes, for the impact jarred every hurt he’d received. Afterwards he simply lay still, taking deep (if ragged) breaths without even attempting to lift his head.

Perhaps the leather strap had finally snapped, or had come untied- either way, he could breathe more easily, and he had Rolan to be grateful to. The elf couldn’t bring himself, at the moment, to thank the child. It was no surprise in his own foggy mind that he couldn’t summon the strength to move; he was exhausted in every way possible and still hurting as he’d never thought he could. Not only that- Narmion was still afraid of Di’Shan, and of what was inevitable for himself and Rolan at that man’s hands. Doubtless that the tormentor wouldn’t be pleased to find one of his prisoners had been released from those painful bonds… and it wouldn’t be long before he found out. The elf was certain there would be punishment for both of them- and the fear of that fact was clear in his dulled eyes when he looked on Rolan, who had frozen at another sound from outside.

Someone was coming.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hello, Bellas. Long time." She half-smiled at him. "I am glad to see you are still working your forge." Her arms folded, she said, almost as an afterthought, "Your handiwork is always exceptional. The armour you made my brothers lasted a long while. Unfortunately, not long enough."
A smirk appeared for a split second and then her face went blank. She stared at the smith for a moment, and then she said, "The armour served them well. You should be proud."

Bellas just blinked at her in surprise and dismay. He’d known he’d remembered Neth- he’d enjoyed conversations with her, and her brothers, on many, many occasions… had she just told him her brothers were dead? It was sobering news, and the blacksmith turned his eyes to the ground. He wanted to ask the elleth what had happened, and how long they’d been dead, but the look that had been on her face as she’d shared the news convinced him to let it rest unanswered- at least for now. She’d almost appeared amused….

Nethraueth turned and looked at Captain Glyndr. "So, I assume you have somewhere for us to spar in mind? Mind you, I will not shy away from fighting you, Captain or not. An opponent is an opponent, regardless of rank."

Several of the stable boys came running to the door to tell Glyndr Sylstar had attacked the Palomino and then bolted, and Neth refolded her arms across her chest and said, "Well, what now, my Captain?"

“I really do need the armor and weaponry tally,” Bellas sighed, rubbing the back of his neck and keeping his eyes on Glyndr (which wasn’t much more comforting than keeping them on Neth), “Before you begin sparring, Captain- I must get back to work.”

Just then the door opened, and another person entered- but, much to the blacksmoth’s surprise it was no elf. A short, sturdy female dwarf came right into the watchroom, looking as if she had just as much business being there as everyone else. It made Bellas grin inwardly to see her there, looking up at them all pointedly. He’d never disliked dwarves, really- they could be uncouth at times, but their skills with working metal and stone had always fascinated him, and he’d always admired that trait. A desire he’d never admitted to anyone was to work with a dwarf and take some tips on different techniques in the forging of weaponry.

Hanni offered him a particularly warm smile and suddenly her mood was lifted considerably. “Not interrupting anything, am I?” she asked jovially.

“The Captain and Nethraureth were planning on sparring, but I came to take a tally for my work- I am Bellas, Blacksmith of Imadlris.”
Ignoring the other elves for the moment, Bellas gave Hanni a slight bow and returned her smile. He wondered if she worked with metals, and guessed that she probably did…

“I will have to get back to work shortly, and you’re welcome to join me if you wish.”

With that said, he looked back to Glyndr, now very eager to get back to the comfort of his smithy…mostly because he was finding it very awkward to be around Neth, and not knowing whether to ask about her brothers or to save it for later.

(this is short, and total crap, but I’m writing at 2:30 am so that’s my excuse no Delvan or Lalaith this time around! )
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2006 05:14
[OOC: Random thought – why is it that you feel more awake after three hours of sleep than when you’ve slept five? Anyways, I’d needed a de-stresser, but am not sure if Istalë should be here at all seeing as some of you might have plans, so please do tell me if I’m messing them up and you want Istalë out of the way or anything like that.]

She did not know when the welcome darkness of a deep dreamless sleep overcame her, but when Istalë was herself once again the bright midmorning sun was streaming through the loose curtains onto her curled form. It was surprisingly and even pleasantly warm for a change, though it did little to ease the aches in both the elleth’s complaining body and her weary soul.

Starting a little, she realised suddenly that she had neglected Hanni, and guilt made her jump lightly to her feet and run barefoot out of the room in search of the stout little creature. Good grief! She had all but forgotten, and in the space of one night Hanni could have been anywhere, could have done anything… Oh, if she had gotten into trouble anywhere Istalë would never be able to forgive herself… With that, she nearly pelted down the hall to the guest quarters where the door stood ajar, fanned slightly by a light breeze…

But her fears were unfounded and soon assuaged by the sight of a small lump twisted within the sheets of the bed in the guestroom, snoring softly, the bed surrounded by a pile of discarded covers and – of all things – random pieces of armour scattered all over the floor. Was it some strange dwarvish custom, to sleep surrounded by armour and weaponry? In spite of herself, Istalë had to stifle a ghost of a smile and she backed softly out of the room, pulling the door shut behind her and then continuing downstairs. It looked like Hannalisa would be missing breakfast today.

A half-morning spent in the healing wing for a very worrying stock-taking later, the scholar found herself gravitating back towards the guardroom even if she did not seem to be needed there at the moment. Quite ironic, really, Istalë thought wryly to herself. She wondered if Hanni was awake yet, and made a quick mental note to look for the dwarf should she not appear at lunch.

She did not have far to go. The door to the guardroom had been flung wide open and a very strange scene greeted Istalë’s eyes as she rounded the corner to find the captain Glyndr and another elleth – Istalë knew the blonde by sight, at least, as Nethraueth – standing smack dab in the middle of the floor, glaring at each other like each was the other elf’s nemesis, both of them looking very much like a fight was going to break out anytime soon. A stable boy, quite out of breath and rather pale and shaken as well, stood to one side, eyes big and wide as he stared at the combatants before him; the tension in the air was palpable, all thick and heavy and strung tight as a drawn bow, just crying out to be released. And Istalë did *not* really want to be around when the bowstring snapped.

Then her eyes, roving over the frozen tableau, came to rest on the one person she would have been truly glad to see here – Hanni! It was an amusing and yet strangely fitting sight, because the short, stout figure of the dwarf-lass seemed to have trudged in and planted herself right before the smith Bellas, and he was looking as if he harboured a little grin inside him as humoured Hanni with a short bob of a bow and invited her to join him in the smithy. She was also getting the distinct feeling that he would be happy to get out of the icy, oppressive atmosphere permeating the small space as soon as possible, and had to agree that she shared his sentiments, because the staring match that Glyndr and Nethraueth were appearing to have was reaching very intense levels indeed. If eye contact could create friction, she thought, a full-fledged inferno was well on the way to engulfing the rest of Imladris as well.

[OOC: I hereby contest DD for title of best (or should it be ‘worse’) crappy post. Wooziness is a very… uh… *amusing* thing, to say the least.]
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 16, 2006 06:24
"'S Narmion, isn't it?" Eadoin asked as they gallped down the path. The land was becoming more familiar to him as they went. "You're worried about him." He spared a glance at Amata's face as he ducked underneath a low-hanging branch. "We're definitely going to get them out of there, Amata. Glyndr values Narmion as one of his closest friends... at least, that's what I gather. The Captain won't leave him there once he's heard what's happened."

Amata did not answer for a while, then, "I'm worried about both of them," she said. Still, Eadoin's words brought a tiny bit of comfort, even if it was just a tiny bit.
He had seen through her thoughts, somehow. Though she may deny it again and again out loud, she was terribly worried. And of course she was worried about not just Narmion, but Rolan too... but it was Narmion who was making her seat so uneasy. She could barely think to see where she was going while her thoughts ran on what he might have endured in captivity.

The pair covered the ground before them swiftly, until Amata began to recognise more land-marks and felt sure that they were drawing near Rivendell.

((gah... rubbish post, I know...))
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2006 08:05
Glyndr nodded a curt nod in acknowledgement of Bellas’ greeting, “Yes, smith, your services will surely be required. Many weapons need attention, and I fear we must forge more, many were lost in the battle”.

The Captain had kept his eyes fixed on Nethraueth as he spoke, he turned his icicle sharp gaze to Bellas briefly, “ At least half of the warhorses need shoeing” Glyndr frowned slightly, “ Smith, you will have more than your share of work to do”.

The cold Elf turned his piercing glare back to Nethraueth, “ Indeed,” he replied slowly, his voice now the familiar low growl, “ Rank in battle serves no purpose, except for command and tactics”.

Glyndr turned sharply as a stable lad ran to tell him of Sylstar’s break for freedom.
“What!” Glyndr grabbed the terrified lad by the throat, lifting him off his feet,
The lads that had come with him scattered, and ran.

“You are trusted with the safety and care of my horses” Glyndr’s eyes flashed dangerously as he shook the gasping lad. The Captain’s gold ringed fingers tight around the lad’s scrawny throat”.

“Stupid idiots, all of you!” Glyndr threw the lad face down on the floor, “ Sylstar will return when he is ready, Make sure the Palomino is tended”.
The lad scrambled to his feet and stood back to one side, to scared to say a word.

The furious Captain snapped his demon stare back to Nethraueth, “ What do we do now?….We do what we came here to do, my feisty elleth. We spar. And you can demonstrate just how good you are”.
Glyndr tossed his long hair back out of his eyes, and nodded towards the side door. “The cobbled courtyard outside is a good a place as any”.

Turning again to Bellas , he answered, “ Smith, you shall have your tally, I shall send Telryn to your forge as soon as I have finished here”.

Glyndr was suddenly aware of a stout, broad figure at the door, then almost at his side, “Dwarf,” he said with a slight spark of amusement in vicious ice blue eyes, “ As the smith says, you have not interrupted here.”

He glanced back at Nethraurth, “The she warrior and I are about to ..er…practice a little swordplay and fighting skills,”
Glyndr arched an eyebrow at Hanni, “ skills I have seen that you are no stranger to, even if you are half our stature and use a damned great axe, Stay watch if you like, before you go to the forge with the smith”.

The Captain stepped back a pace, and looked towards the side door, “Well tamer of demons, do we go outside, or do we practice here?” he said , none of the cold fire had left his eyes, Glyndr enjoyed a challenge.

“ Make up your mind, I have an important appointment at midday, I do not want to be late”. The Captain would not allow himself to be late for the few hours he had promised Lalaith.
“ Ah….Istalle”, the Captain had seen her near the door, “ Why don’t you come and watch our practice,” Glyndr asked , but in truth commanded, “As a new recruit, you may learn a thing or two” .

Sylstar stayed at the edge of the camp, Diablo had not yet responded to his greeting.
The stallion was nervous, yet like his master Glyndr, he was proud and reckless at times. He was intrigued, why did the black not respond?

Sylstar lifted his head sharply, his ears pricked forward, then flattened.
He heard the ugly whistle of a human creature, Sylstar looked at the man with as much cold venom as Glyndr .
Every battle instinct told him to kill. Yet , something in his natural instinct for survival told him to stay where he was.

The powerful, silver grey waited until the man had gone, and no others seemed close, and then moved forward a few paces.
He nickered again, softly to Diablo.
Still no response.

Sylstar moved closer , he snorted softly, then nudged the black with his nose, trying to get some response.
Sylstar hated this place, every nerve in his body sharp, he trusted no one here,the scents and smells made him nervous.

To the highly sensitive stallion the whole place felt like, and smelled of death and pain. Sylstar wanted to leave this hell hole.

Yet, some other more primeval instinct told him he must stay with the black stallion, Sylstar knew Diablo craved freedom as much as he did.

Horses like them were born to run, to be free .
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email