<< First56789
Author Topic:
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Ever After (Keeper!)
on: August 12, 2006 03:35
[OOC: And I post!]

The elleth turned to Istale who’d come up beside her and greeted her, noticing that she looked very tired.

“Did you come to practice?” she asked, “Or just to watch the others? I’m certain that I should take up the sword myself, but I’m not prepared at the moment. Are you alright? You look tired…”

She started a little as she realised that Lalaith was talking to her, and shook her head hastily.

“No, no. I’m perfectly normal.” Istalë quipped, the slightest hint of a dry smile curling the corners of her lips. “Skipping a night once in a while won’t do much harm. Although I’m not too sure I will do much.”

With a short pause as she wondered whether it was safe to confess her fears without being labeled a coward or anything of the sort, Istalë glanced down at her calloused hands, sighed, and decided to continue.

“I know I should take up the blade again, being able and all, but I just don’t want to,” the elleth said quietly. “The blade has never held much appeal for me, save as an ornament or a part of history.”

Istalë fingered the long knife that still hung, ready and waiting, by her side. She did not look up to meet her friend’s eyes.

“Silly of me, I know. I don’t want to have to do this. There are days I don’t even want to see a sword or a knife of any shape or size ever again, let along touch one. The only reason I ever let myself get dragged into all this is because it’s probably the only thing I could do at the moment. Even Fae has realised there is no place for a soft-handed scholar in these times.” She trailed off, a soft laugh escaping in spite of her. But Faeringil did indeed cut a very amusing image in his overlarge mail and obviously too-heavy sword, his jaw set and lower lip slightly protruding in an expression of belligerent determination.

Eadoin shrugged into the mail and buckled his sword around his waist. "Why don't we all switch off every once and a while? I'll start with Aiden so you two can warm up - if you'd like to join us," he added to the elf who's name he didn't know. Little surprise there.

Fae shook his head. “I came here to spar, so… the arrangement is perfectly agreeable to me.” He glanced around a little nervously, a little disappointed that so many people were near by.

"I think that would be good, Eadoin," Ari said, carefully avoiding looking at Faeringil. He seemed to be very tense for some reason. She wondered if this was the first time he'd ever been on the practice courts before. Then she thought again. Elves might not consider themselves to be a warrior race, but they saw fighting frequently enough that every Elf trained on courts at least once in a lifetime. She carefully adjusted her grip on the sword that was still tucked away in its scabbard. "After all," she added as playful banter, smiling at the humans, "you'll need to be really ready before you even think of facing the all-powerful Elven warriors Arianna and Faeringil, won't you?"

Ari indicated with her head to Fae that they should take the abandoned practice court that the Twins had been using earlier before Elrohir's biting remarks to Eadoin. She still couldn't believe he was so shallow. It wasn't as if the humans were to blame for any of this, after all. And they were helping, unlike some Elves she could name who only tried to pretend that the threat did not exist and that their lives were as peaceful as ever. Those were the ones who deserved an awakening call to duty, not Eadoin, nor any other of the humans at Imladris.

As Arianna and Faeringil slipped into a hesitant, somewhat clumsy pattern of slash-and-retreat, the two Rohirrim brothers had started a fight of their own – and these two were definitely of a much higher caliber than their rusty counterparts. Istalë and Lalaith backed away a short distance, so as to be out of range of their flashing blades. Those were not the blunted practice weapons Arianna and Faeringil held; they were truly pieces of cold steel, tried and tested on the field of battle.

The elleth turned to Lalaith.

“If you’re not prepared, mellon nin, perhaps now is as good a time as any…?” she tilted her head, questing and invitation hanging. “I’m probably about as good as you are.”
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2006 03:51
Ondet was patiently waiting for the arrival of Di'shan at his tent, until he realized that he had brought back a child with him. When he learned this from one of the men, his eyes glinted for a moment and then he said sharply, "Morgai! You and your men, go saddle up horses. Prepare one for little Neth here. She will be along in a moment or two."

Once the two of them were alone, Ondet stood above the elleth who was lying on the ground, bruised and in pain. "Look at me, elleth."

She looked up, afraid to refuse to, but afraid to have him do more damage when she did, so she flinched slightly. That made Ondet smile.

"You have been spared immeasurable pain. For now." He crouched down and stroked her hair back out of her face and said, "If you fail me, Morgai will die, and you will belong to me. Your life will be mine. Your very soul will be mine." He tilted her chin up and said, in a whisper, "So if you are smart, you will not fail me."

He pulled her to her feet and allowed her to wash some of the dirt and blood from her face, and then sent her out to her waiting horse.

As she mounted, she glanced at Morgai, and tried to smile. "I'm alright," she whispered.

She turned her head and looked at Ondet's tent and a shiver went through her.

Quietly, she said, " Let's go. The plan is now in motion." Once they had passed out of camp and a good distance into the woods, she said softly, "Morgai, Ondet told me if I fail him, he intends to have you killed and have me for his own."

[Edited on 13/8/2006 by Iell-daughter-of-elves]
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2006 11:24
Had he not been outnumbered five to one by the orcs that were holding him down, Morgai would have slain Ondet where he stood. However, being unable to move, he had to rethink his plan. That, however, could wait. For now, he settled for throwing his weight against the orcs, trying to break free to get Neth out of there.

KILL HIM! the animal inside him snarled.

When you get out of this, Morgai, the rational part of his brain said, you’d better kill someone before you try to kill Ondet. You’ll be the one bleeding, and that wouldn’t be good for Neth, now would it? Although he hated it, the little voice did have a point. Still trembling with rage, he sank back onto his heels, glaring at the backs of the men beating the elleth. One of them was going to die that night.

Ondet finally dismissed the men and Morgai, allowing them to saddle horses. Morgai saddled Mordome for himself and a blue roan for Neth and then stood, wrapping the reins tightly around his hands to keep him from knifing someone right then. Neth exited the tent a moment later and mounted. Morgai swung up onto his horse and wrapped the lead rope around the pommel of his saddle, to make it appear she was his prisoner.

"I'm alright," she whispered.

Inwardly, Morgai snorted. He highly doubted it. However, he didn’t say it, turning the horses towards the forest and spurring his and the roan a few feet in front of the men.

Once they had passed out of camp and a good distance into the woods, she said softly, "Morgai, Ondet told me if I fail him, he intends to have you killed and have me for his own."

That caused him to stare at her in shock. He certainly wasn’t expecting Ondet to go *that* far. Delvan was incompetent even when he wasn’t drunk, and power hungry to boot, so wouldn’t Ondet be putting himself in danger if Morgai disappeared? On second thought, probably not – Ondet was still an elf, and Delvan was a human. He should have expected that, now shouldn’t he?

“I guess that means we shouldn’t fail, now doesn’t it?” Morgai asked quietly, still very upset about what happened. He fell silent while they rode, wishing there was something he could do to comfort her. He couldn’t risk it, though, because he imagined that one of the men wouldn’t be above reporting it back to Ondet to gain power.

An hour or so passed, and they were crossing a clearing, lit by the stars shining down from the heaven. It would have been a pleasant sight, had it only been he and Neth, but it was ruined by the plod of six other horses behind him. Twisting in his saddle, he beckoned one of the brothers and another man forward. They rode up next to him.

“Take her horse,” he said to one, handing the lead rope of Neth’s horse to the brother. “If any of you do anything to hinder this mission or go beyond Ondet’s orders, I will make sure Ondet hears of it. You,” he said to the other man, “with me. We’re going to scout ahead a bit.” He spurred Mordome into action, leaving his men behind with Neth. He shot her a glance as he left, saying, I’ll come back soon.

Morgai and the man he had picked to scout ahead rode for a while, until they came to the rise that Morgai had been using to look out over the woods before he had encountered Neth. The man looked confused, until Morgai dismounted and drew a dagger, slashing it at the horse’s throat. The beast shied away from the blade, and the man in the saddle struggled to keep his mare away from the cliff.

Morgai kept driving it back until, finally, the beast reared up on her back legs too close to the edge of the cliff. He slipped his blade between the ribs and gave a hard shove to the blade to get it loose, toppling horse and rider over the cliff and crashing into the trees below. The horse gave a shriek that sounded almost human as it went down. Morgai stood on the edge, watching with satisfaction as the two disappeared beneath the trees. He remounted and rode back to the group.

“Where’s Halwine, sir?” one of the men asked as they saw him returning alone. Morgai took the lead of Neth’s horse once more.

“We were looking for a way down a steep slope and the idiot’s horse slipped. He’s dead,” Morgai replied, riding on. He began to pick up the pace – they had to get closer to Imladris before dawn.

((‘flyn, DD, feel free to spring your rescue mission at any time!))

[Edited on 13/8/06 by Nimeneth]
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2006 11:41
“Take her horse,” he said to one, handing the lead rope of Neth’s horse to the brother. “If any of you do anything to hinder this mission or go beyond Ondet’s orders, I will make sure Ondet hears of it. You,” he said to the other man, “with me. We’re going to scout ahead a bit.” He spurred Mordome into action, leaving his men behind with Neth. He shot her a glance as he left, saying, I’ll come back soon.

Neth was startled and more than a little afraid, when Morgai handed her over to another man and then rode off. Her chin trembled and she began to shake.
She tried to believe that he was going to return, but she feared he would not. She looked down, frightened, and tried to be as small as possible in the saddle of her roan.

“Where’s Halwine, sir?” one of the men asked as they saw him returning alone. Morgai took the lead of Neth’s horse once more.

“We were looking for a way down a steep slope and the idiot’s horse slipped. He’s dead,” Morgai replied, riding on. He began to pick up the pace – they had to get closer to Imladris before dawn.

Neth breathed a sigh of relief when Morgai reappeared, and she studied his face as he spoke, explaining what happened.

He's lying. A tiny smile pursed her lips for a moment. She knew it. The man would not return, but not because of his own carelessness. Morgai had killed him. In her heart, she knew he had, and she was not a bit sorry, even for knowing that.

After riding a while, Neth whispered, "Morgai, we're being folowed. Have been for a while now. They have followed us from nearer the camp. Elves, at least a half-dozen." She said, "Perhaps you should remind your men that they are supposed to let me be taken, Morgai."
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2006 07:59
“We leave now”, Telryn took a deep breath and prayed to the Valar, the knuckles of his right hand white as he gripped his sword so tightly.

“Follow Bellas and me”, he ordered, “keep to the shadows, and keep silent. When we get to the camp, Bellas will be our guide, listen to him, do as he says; it may save your life”.
Telryn paused, the thought hit home suddenly, this was no practice, this was for real. They could lose their lives. He shuddered, then glanced towards Bellas.

The young soldier tensed, he could sense that the smith was deeply concerned, and that one wrong word could get a very sharp answer.
Telryn pitied the enemy, should they be unlucky to encounter any.

“Bellas” , Telryn moved closer to the smith, “ Bellas, I know you are worried for Neth, we all are” he spoke quietly, so only Bellas could hear, his eyes betraying the nervousness he felt..
“Don’t let anger rule your head, think before you act, Please,” he added, those blue eyes pleading with the smith.
The young Section Leader patted Bellas on the shoulder, and stepped back, “Come on, we have a task to complete”.

The section moved silent, and purposefully through woodland, dark and dense, moving ever closer towards the camp.
Before they had got within range of the camp, and were some way off Telryn suddenly froze, he signalled the section to halt.

He had heard the sound of horses, and knew that the others had too.
“Neth!” Telryn’s heart missed a beat. He could not believe their luck.
She was being led through the woodlands, well away from the camp; they would not have to face the hordes at the camp now.

The young soldier cursed himself, he had sacrificed the advantage of their horses for the advantage of silent surprise at the camp, He did not need that now, he needed the horses to follow them.
“Valar” he thought desperately, “Captain Glyndr will kill me if I lose her”.

Ever the optimist, Telryn took a deep breath and turned back to the section. They would have to do what they could on foot.

“We track them at a distance, until they stop, or are slowed sufficiently. I will give you your instructions then….Then we will make our move”.

Telryn rubbed at his ear again, the nail still driving its way through the tip, “Give me the courage,” he prayed, “ Please don’t let us fail”.

OOC hope ok DD, please add anything you want for Bellas. And let me know if you want me to change anything to fit with your posty.

otterling
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2006 05:35
((OOC: Okay, this is part 2 of the Di'shan story and I'm trying to sum this up as fast as possible. I never meant for this to go on as long as it has, but I keep getting sidetracked by real life and Di'shan is not helping by prodding me un-happily everytime I try to take a shortcut while writing. :/ I hope you all enjoy it. Please let me know if I need to edit anything. I will do my best to wrap up this little side arc in the next installment so I can get back to Hanni and Di'shan can get back to the camp. *sigh* ))

A gentle warm breeze drifted in through the open window, ruffling the small tendrils of hair around Melanie’s face. Suds dripped down her arms and another chipped dish slid on top of the stack to her right, water gathering in a glistening pool around its lip. Melanie wiped her forehead with the back of one arm, succeeding only in driving the ever present wayward strand right back into her field of vision and she offered it a playful frown. Behind her, the sounds of Trevan playing with a toy could be heard resonating from the hallway. Her eldest son, Rynan was out in the fields tracking down a mare who had wandered off to foal, she expected the boy to be back soon. Melanie smiled as she thought of her children. At only 10 years old, Rynan had stepped up to fill his father’s shoes as the man of the house, shouldering the responsibility of caring for their small herd and hunting for game to feed the family. In such a short time he had grown so much, his childhood sadly stripped away in a matter of days. Melanie frowned heavily as she thought of the night they had received their mysterious visitor. The man had been tall and thin, an elf, and though his manner of speaking was terribly polite, there was something about him that set the hair on her neck to standing on end.

Dirk had welcomed the traveler warmly at first, he had always been a kind man for as long as she had known him, but as she prepared dinner in the kitchen, Melanie could hear the light notes of her husband’s voice go cold. The men spoke in hushed whispers and when Dirk finally appeared again in the doorway to the kitchen, he had looked at her so very oddly…as if he was trying to drink her in for the last time. There was sorrow and strain in his eyes though he would not speak of it. That was the night their youngest child had died. He had insisted on going out to the barn with Dirk and the elf as the two discussed business, ever at his father’s heels like some adoring puppy, but that night, it had cost him his life. Dirk’s scream of anguish had brought Melanie running. She found the men there, kneeling in the barn over the limp form of her youngest boy. Blood had pooled around his body and the warmth of life was stealing away from him even as she held the boy to her chest, sobbing her grief into his dark hair. Melanie never thought she could feel such pain. The elf said that the boy had been playing too close to the wheat scythe and it had fallen on him, slicing the boy’s throat before either man could react. The stained tool lay at an awkward angle on the floor, matted with hay and dirt.

Jeth had never before been so careless as to play near the dangerous scythe and she had looked up questioningly to Dirk for an answer, but she was met with nothing more than a blank gaze. That night, they had lain together as husband and wife, and Dirk had clung to her like a drowning man. The next morning, he had told his small family that he had to go with the elf. He gave some off-handed excuse of it being his duty or some such thing but the details of this journey were not forthcoming from either party and Melanie was left with more questions than answers. The last time any of them had seen Dirk, he had kissed her passionately and hugged her so tight that it had stolen Melanie’s breath. Then he was gone, a whispered “I love you” on his lips, and Melanie was left to her grief and solitude with her sons as her only company.

Melanie’s reverie was broken at the shrill cry of a horse. She recognized the responding echoes as being from their own herd but before she could process another thought, Trevan had bolted out the front door. Through the open window she heard him scream “Father!” and her heart skipped a beat. Could it be true? Was he home at long last? Melanie dried her hands quickly on the apron that was tied loosely about her waist. She rushed over to a silvered mirror in their hallway, now darkened a bit with age, and despite chiding herself for being silly, Melanie carefully tucked the wisps of hair back behind her ears, vainly attempting to smooth her ruffled appearance. The sound of hooves grew louder as the rider approached and Melanie was practically shaking by the time she reached the front door. How many years had it been since he’d left? Would he still think she was pretty? Would he be different? Melanie could not know just how different.

The front door swung open and as it did, a bitter cold clamped down on Melanie’s heart. It was not Dirk. She was not sure who this man was but he was not her beloved one. He stood in the open doorway smiling at her, a handsome man to be sure, and Trevan stood in front of him beaming as if he’d just been given a new toy. The man rested one hand on Trevan’s shoulder with a familiarity that Melanie wasn’t sure she liked. “Mother,” Trevan’s words rushed out breathily, “Father’s back! He came home!” Confusion slipped over Melanie’s face as she glanced from her son to the man behind him, but it faded away into mute shock as the man stepped to one side revealing that his other hand was resting easily on a dagger hilt. He had not relinquished his grip on Trevan’s shoulder and pleading fear was in her eyes as Melanie met the man’s cold gaze. The smile had not slipped an inch on his face but it was the grin of a predator now and Melanie was bombarded with a thousand mental images of this man killing her son. He patted Trevan on the shoulder gently and smiled down at him. “Your mom and I need to talk for a little while, son. We need some grown-up time alone. Why don’t you go find Rynan for me?” Trevan smiled up at Di’shan, his face alight with innocent joy, and he nodded enthusiastically before rushing back out the front door. Melanie waited until her youngest son was out of earshot before she managed to find her voice again. “Who are you and what do you want?”

Di’shan shrugged playfully and nudged the door shut behind him with one foot. “Do you love your husband?” he asked, his gaze shifting down to the muddy tip of his boot. Melanie stood stock still and tried to think of an answer that would keep this man busy until the opportunity presented itself to rush into the kitchen. There, gleaming on the counter in a shaft of sunlight, was a large carving knife. She had never had to take a man’s life before, but for the sake of her sons, she would kill this man in a heartbeat. “Uh..of course….of course I love him. What does that…” she stammered. Di’shan’s mellow voice cut her off, “Well, he doesn’t love you. Not very much anyway. Do you even know him?” A vile grin cut across Di’shan’s face. “Your husband isn’t a good man, you know. He’s waging a war on innocent elves. He brought back a child prisoner and then tormented the poor thing. The boy was about your son’s age.” Melanie shook her head in denial. Her Dirk would never commit such acts. “You lie,” she whispered harshly. Di’shan chuckled, an entirely unpleasant sound, “My dear Lady, I couldn’t make this stuff up if I tried. Your husband works for Ondet now. A master elf who found out about your husband’s more…shall we say, less than savory past. You met Ondet, several years ago,” Di’shan looked up at Melanie and he grinned like a Cheshire cat, “the night your husband watched as Ondet killed your youngest child.”

Melanie felt her knees tremble. No. NO. He wouldn’t. He didn’t. The image of Dirk’s impassive face, pale and drawn in the barn that night. Dirk wouldn’t let someone just kill our child. He had just stared at her. Unmoving. He hadn’t said a word. Melanie felt a sob rip it’s way out of her chest and she moved a hand up to cover her mouth as if she could stop it from escaping. Mercilessly, Di’shan continued, “Several days ago, your husband was given a choice: do as he was told or forfeit your lives. He chose to forfeit you, Melanie. He chose to let you and his so-called family die.” Di’shan clucked and shook his head. “But I am not entirely without mercy. Do as you are told and I will let your sons live. I have come all the way out here with express orders to kill you. I can be persuaded to leave you in peace.” His dark eyes roamed over Melanie’s small form and she shuddered under that gaze. “Cause me any problems and I’ll kill both your sons in front of you.” Melanie froze, her gaze flickering to the knife in the kitchen and back to Di’shan. Suddenly, she sprang for it, her last salvation against this monster and was surprised to find he didn’t follow. When she wheeled about with the knife in her grip, she realized why. Di’shan had drawn a long sword from its scabbard and he leaned in her kitchen doorway testing it’s weight in his hand. “Don’t be a fool Melanie. You can’t outfight me with a simple knife.”

Melanie’s fingers felt numb as she laid the knife back on the counter. He was right, she couldn’t outright beat him, but she could try to out smart him. She would have to bide her time and there was some small reassurance in the weight of the stiletto dagger strapped to one thigh. Melanie was no helpless fool and this man would be in for a handful if he tried to harm her children. The thunder of hooves outside marked the arrival of her sons and Melanie nodded slowly at Di’shan, her jaw set as she realized what she would have to do. For now, the man seemed to want the boys to think he was their father. For now, she would let him have his way. Trevan burst back into the house just as Di’shan whipped his sword into its sheath. In one smooth motion, he turned toward the dark haired boy and swept him up into a hug. Melanie remarked inwardly how the man was able to go from terrifying to outwardly pleasant in the blink of an eye. Di’shan perched Trevan on one hip and wrapped an arm about the boy to support his weight. “I’m still surprised at how BIG you’ve gotten!” Trevan grinned with pride and nodded, “I was only three when you left father! I’m MUCH bigger now!” From behind him Di’shan heard the soft cough of the other lad and he turned to see a boy of ten summers standing expectantly before him. Rynan was not what Di’shan expected. The boy did not have his father’s hair, but instead bore the flame red locks of some distant ancestor. His eyes were distinctly his mother’s though and the set to his jaw reminded him very much of Dirk whenever the Rohan man would get suspicious of something.

Di’shan smiled and kneeled down to put himself closer to Rynan’s height. “Hello, son,” he said softly, “I know it’s been a very long time. But do I warrant a hug?” Rynan stared hard at the man kneeling before him. After so many years, he had honestly not expected his father to return and he wasn’t entirely sure that he had. The man before him matched his father’s description well enough and Trevan seemed to have made up his mind, but Rynan was not so quick to welcome back this man, if it WAS his father. “You left us,” Rynan said coldly, “You left and we haven’t heard form you in many years. Why did you come back now?” For countless days, Rynan had held vigil at the edge of their lands, waiting for this day to come, but now he was not so willing to rush back to into his father’s arms. Di’shan nodded sadly and cast his gaze to the floor in mock guilt, “I know, son. I had…business that I could not put off. I had to do what I did. I know you don’t understand now, but someday…I hope you’ll understand and forgive me. Not a day has gone by that I haven’t wanted to come to you. To get you all and bring you with me where ever I go, but the places I’ve been are dangerous and I would not risk you.” The was such an earnest note to his voice that Melanie found herself trying not to cry again. How she’d longed to hear those words from her husband…now she heard them spilled forth from the lips of a man who wanted nothing more than to kill them all.

Rynan looked up to his mother and mistook her tears as a testament to the truth behind Di’shan’s words. He glanced back to where Trevan was still clinging to the man before them, their father, and his resolve melted a bit more. Slowly, Rynan shuffled forward, the hard edge of his features melting away as he finally reached Di’shan. The boy curled himself into the outstretched arm that he was offered and Di’shan hugged the boy close, whispering kindness in his ear. “Shhh, it’s alright now. We won’t be parted again.” Di’shan’s gaze rose to meet Melanie’s. “We’re all one happy family now.”
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2006 01:03
Neth knew that it would not be long before the elves that were trailing them would come out of hiding and attack, to "rescue" her. If it were not for the sake of the mission, and the fact that she HAD to return to Imladris to exact the revenge Ondet wanted from her, she would gladly let Morgai and his men slaughter each and every one of them, and then she would gladly kill every one of the remaining men who had put their hands on her, had kicked her and bruised and beaten her.

She had to swallow her anger, and look wide-eyed and innocent, her spirit broken just as her flesh was. That was the only way they were going to believe that she had been beaten, tortured and held prisoner.

She rode alongside Morgai, at the end of the lead rope, hoping against hope that he would have the good sense to ride hard with his men and get out of there before he could be hurt. Neth feared the possibility of it being Glyndr that was hiding in the shadows. Glyndr would not be content with saving her. He would want the head of the man at the end of that rope, and in that event, she would have to kill the Captain. She simply could not allow Morgai to be killed.

She loved him too much.
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2006 01:59
Morgai grew more uneasy the closer to Imladris they rode. He couldn't explain why, but he felt like they were being watched. He glanced around him, looking for any clue as to where the eyes were coming from. He found none, but in his search, discovered a stream ahead of them.

"We stop here to water the horses," he called to his men, reining in and dismounting, leading Mordome to the water before seeing to Neth's blue roan. Meeting Neth's eyes and hoping she would understand what he was trying to do, he roughly pulled her from the horse and shoved her against a tree a few feet away. He leaned forward as if to kiss her.

"I feel like I'm being watched, so fight me," he hissed to her before his lips met hers fiercely. "Can you tell me any reason why I might be getting this feeling?" he muttered against her mouth.

He could feel the eyes of his men boring into his back and prayed that Neth would fight him, so perhaps he could dispel some of the ideas that Ondet had about him and Neth. If they played this right, one of the men might report to Ondet that there were no feelings whatsoever between he and Neth, at least on her side, so they could be free from further suspicion.
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2006 02:26
Neth realized after he hissed the words to her what it was Morgai was trying to do, and she braced herself as she whispered, "They are watching you because you hold the rope I am at the end of." She cried out loudly, "No, you animal!" and struck him in the face, as his mouth descended on hers. As his lips ripped a kiss from her mouth, she "struggled" against him, valiantly fighting the urge to succumb to the desire to wrap herself around him. "It will be you that whoever leads them comes after," she whispered in his ear as his lips made their way to her throat, and she shoved and batted at him, trying to "save" herself from this "assault". "It may well be Captain Glyndr. He will stop at nothing to see you killed."

[Edited on 19/8/2006 by Iell-daughter-of-elves]
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2006 04:17
"This is our chance", Telryn hissed, his voice barely audible,through nervousness, as he signalled again for the section to halt.

"You two", he ordered two soldiers, "get up into the trees, one, there", he indicated to the left of the stream, "and you there", he directed the other to the right.
"cover us when we go in".

The nervous young soldier turned to the others, "The rest of you spread out,surround them".

Telryn ran a shaking hand through his hair, "I will shoot the man on the grey horse, when he falls , that will be the signal to attack, Bellas, " he turned anxious blue eyes to the smith, "I leave you to fight as you wish".

Telryn fixed his stare on Neth and Morgai, desperate to go to her aid, " I will take the one who has Neth" he said coldly, his voice frightenly identical to his Captain -god Glyndr's.

Telryn waited until his section were in position, then loosed an arrow at his target, it found its mark, swiftly and accurately, the man dead before he hit the ground.
The signal had been given.

The section moved in swiftly , silent phantoms dealing in death.
The Section Leader leapt forward, sword drawn .
In three agile bounds he covered the distance between himself and Neth.
He thought of his father, and of his Captain Glyndr. Now was the chance to prove himself, terrified as he was.

The elven sword glinted blue silver as it arced towards Morgai.
"Neth", Telryn's dark blue eyes met hers with a strange calmness now in their depths," You are safe now".

Telryn faced Morgai unafraid, the young soldier had found his courage.

OOC as before DD , add as you want to for Bellas

[Edited on 19/8/2006 by elflyn]
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 20, 2006 07:21
She started a little as she realised that Lalaith was talking to her, and shook her head hastily.
“No, no. I’m perfectly normal.” Istalë quipped, the slightest hint of a dry smile curling the corners of her lips. “Skipping a night once in a while won’t do much harm. Although I’m not too sure I will do much.”

With a short pause, Istalë glanced down at her calloused hands, sighed, and decided to continue.

“I know I should take up the blade again, being able and all, but I just don’t want to,” the elleth said quietly. “The blade has never held much appeal for me, save as an ornament or a part of history.”

Istalë fingered the long knife that still hung, ready and waiting, by her side. She did not look up to meet her friend’s eyes.

“Silly of me, I know. I don’t want to have to do this. There are days I don’t even want to see a sword or a knife of any shape or size ever again, let along touch one. The only reason I ever let myself get dragged into all this is because it’s probably the only thing I could do at the moment. Even Fae has realised there is no place for a soft-handed scholar in these times.” She trailed off, a soft laugh escaping in spite of her.

Lalaith was silent, listening to Istale’s words closely. Oh, she could identify well with what her friend said… she herself had never liked fighting. In fact, she hated it- and though she felt guilty for not lending herself to the fighting when she *could* use a blade, it was with more than a bit of relief she accepted her husband’s urgings that she stay out of danger. The few times she’d ever ended up in battle were still clear in her memory… those were the things she tried to forget. She watched the others practicing without expression as she thought.

The elleth turned to Lalaith.

“If you’re not prepared, mellon nin, perhaps now is as good a time as any…?” she tilted her head, questing and invitation hanging. “I’m probably about as good as you are.”

“You may be better,” the elleth replied with a small smile. It was a clear invitation to practice- and, she felt fine, as if she could use a work-out. But, there was her ‘condition’… that she still hadn’t told anyone but Glyndr about. Her thoughts went to her promise that she would run away from danger if it came to that, in order to protect the unborn twins… still, it couldn’t hurt to have a bit of practice, could it?

“Let us fetch some practice blades,” she said, “And see which of us is the best learned?”

It didn’t take long to fetch the blades, and Lalaith thought of asking Istale to be careful of her abdomen, but she decided not to. She let her friend begin, and since they both had *some* skill with the weapons their motions were fluid and graceful, if a little awkward to begin with. It wasn’t long they practiced- the mother-to-be was afraid to push herself too hard- but by the time they finished it was obvious that the dark-headed elleth was the most skilled of the two.

Lalaith bowed a little and gave her friend a smile.
“You win,” she said, then glanced to the others, who were still going at it, “I am afraid that is all I can muster for now.”

She thought she would burst, waiting for the good news to get out. She wondered how long Glyndr would wait before announcing his new status as father-to-be officially. Either way, Lalaith wanted her friend to know. So, with a secret smile she took her hand.
“Will you keep a secret for me?” she asked, “Walk with me to take these blades back to the armoury, and I’ll tell you.”

And as they walked she did, whispering to her friend that she was with child- two- and having to bite back a squeal of delight. After a while longer she stayed with Istale, sensing that her friend needed the company… but, she wished to find Glyndr. He certainly should be done practicing by now! So, bidding the elleth farewell for now (and smilingly asking her again to keep her secret) she made her way to the place she was almost certain her husband would be…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“We leave now”, Telryn took a deep breath and prayed to the Valar, the knuckles of his right hand white as he gripped his sword so tightly.

“Follow Bellas and me”, he ordered, “keep to the shadows, and keep silent. When we get to the camp, Bellas will be our guide, listen to him, do as he says; it may save your life”.

Bellas didn’t speak. His brow was furrowed and his expression stony- he was worried for Neth, his shoulder was aching, and his mood was dark. He was just ready to get a move on so that they could get it over with- he wanted the elleth back safely, or he wanted to die attempting to rescue her. Still he blamed himself for driving her into danger in the first place….

The section moved silent, and purposefully through woodland, dark and dense, moving ever closer towards the camp.Before they had got within range of the camp, and were some way off Telryn suddenly froze, he signalled the section to halt.

The smith had heard the sound of horses too, and peering through the trees he could see that they’d hit a stroke of luck. There were 6 men, and among them was a golden-haired woman. From the distance Bellas couldn’t see very clearly, but he didn’t doubt at all that it was Neth. His entire body went riged as he fought to keep from running after them. Telyrn turned back to himself and the rest of the group.

“We track them at a distance, until they stop, or are slowed sufficiently. I will give you your instructions then….Then we will make our move”.

Tracking was excruciating. As he came nearer Bellas could see what bad shape Neth was in, and it made him angry. He gripped his sword hilt tightly, snarling silently and swearing that he’d see every last one of those men dead- the one ‘leading’ the female captive would feel the worst pain! He waited, agonized, for Telyrn’s signal. Finally, the men stopped. As Bellas watched what happened, though, the mortal filth against his Neth, treating her roughly, kissing her- a fire as nothing he’d ever known touched his senses. Oh, he would slaughter that scum! He glanced at the young elf who was leading them, irritated and impatient. What was he waiting for?!

"You two", he ordered two soldiers, "get up into the trees, one, there", he indicated to the left of the stream, "and you there", he directed the other to the right.
"cover us when we go in".

The nervous young soldier turned to the others, "The rest of you spread out,surround them".

Telryn ran a shaking hand through his hair, "I will shoot the man on the grey horse, when he falls , that will be the signal to attack, Bellas, " he turned anxious blue eyes to the smith, "I leave you to fight as you wish".

Telryn fixed his stare on Neth and Morgai, desperate to go to her aid, " I will take the one who has Neth" he said coldly, his voice frightenly identical to his Captain -god Glyndr's.

Bellas almost growled. No, he would be the one to kill that worm… the look he saw in Telyrn’s eyes reminded him of Glyndr when he was angry. Did he have some affection for Neth? Gods, did she return it? Oh well, it was no matter now- all that mattered was getting her to safety, no matter what it took. He was prepared to die if that be the price. Whatever it took.

[quote[Telryn waited until his section were in position, then loosed an arrow at his target, it found its mark, swiftly and accurately, the man dead before he hit the ground.
The signal had been given.

Bellas’s sword was already in his hand as he slipped through the trees, his handsome face a mask of rage. He was unable to make for the man he’d wanted to kill- another came before him, and at once he was locked in combat. He dove into battle, his eyes ever searching for Neth, sweeping over the rest of their company. The enemy’s weapon came to close and opened a thin cut on his forehead, but he countered it quickly. A hard shove, a strike blocked, another near-miss. This man was better skilled than he’d expected- Bellas was glancing at the others when his opponent’s gauntleted wrist slammed into his stomach, forcing him to double over. Gasping for breath he bent, reaching out with one hand to ward off another attack. The attempt failed- he felt the man’s blade rake across his back, but then he was upright again, lashing out at his attacker with a ferocity even he himself hadn’t known he possessed. In a few more moments the man lay dead, and Bellas ripped his sword from the corpse’s chest, whirling to search again for Neth. He saw Telyrn locked in combat with the man who appeared to be leading. Yes, Bellas thought, if they doubled up against the rat then he wouldn’t have a chance!

Before he made it there he spotted Neth on the ground, huddled against the base of a tree as if frightened. The smith forgot the fight instantly- he hurried to her side and dropped to his knee, ignoring the pain raging across his back and the blood matting his hair and trying to drip into his eye. All of his worst thoughts seemed to be true- she’d obviously been treated badly. He felt his eyes dampen.

“Neth?” he said, thick-voiced, his heart breaking at the sight of her injuries as he oh-so-gently turned her face toward his, “Come, let me bear you away from this place… Don’t be afraid any longer, we’ve come to save you!”

He sheathed his sword and gathered her (carefully!) into his strong arms, just hoping Telyrn and the others would be alright- and that he could get away without being attacked again… for, he wouldn’t be able to ward off an attack with the elleth of his heart in his arms.

(no narmion or delvan. Sorry >< not sure what to do with my baddie at the moment. Please let me know if anything here needs editing!)

[Edited on 20/8/2006 by dreamdancer]
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2006 02:04
The elven sword glinted blue silver as it arced towards Morgai.
"Neth", Telryn's dark blue eyes met hers with a strange calmness now in their depths," You are safe now".
Telryn faced Morgai unafraid, the young soldier had found his courage.

Neth took the chance of shoving Morgai away, making it appear that he was so distracted that she was able to escape, and then as she heard his unsheath his sword, she dropped to the ground, feigning more serious injuries than the ones she had.

“Neth?” he said, thick-voiced, his heart breaking at the sight of her injuries as he oh-so-gently turned her face toward his, “Come, let me bear you away from this place… Don’t be afraid any longer, we’ve come to save you!”

She slowly wrapped her arms around Bellas's neck and whispered, "Bellas...Bellas, save me..." Neth then went limp in his arms so it was a struggle for him to get her onto the horse and ready to go. She cracked one eye open, not wanting to be obvious, but also not wanting Morgai to be hurt. She settled into Bellas's arms as he prepared them to flee.
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2006 08:02
Telryn was very aware that Neth had collapsed behind him. His concentration focussed entirely on Morgai, he dare not go to her.

The young soldier glanced back once to see Bellas fighting his way towards them, he was glad of it , the smith was an excellent fighter, he would protect Neth.

Telryn gripped his sword in both hands as he made another powerful attack on Morgai, trying to push him back, away from Neth, and towards the deep river.
The man was a good fighter, much more skilled than Telryn had expected from a human.
It was as if the man had been trained in the elven military style. Telryn found it very hard to get the advantage he desperately needed, and had to use his well-learned fighting skills to the limit.

Telryn turned briefly to see Bellas lift Neth onto the horse.
The Section Leader knew by the look in the smith’s eyes what he was about to do.

Telryn turned back sharply to face Morgai, he could not afford to be distracted any longer.
Bellas would take Neth home. She would be safe now.

Glyndr chewed listlessly at the end of a quill feather, four reports written, and seven screwed into unbelievable shapes at his feet.
His mind on Telryn and Neth, he could not concentrate.

“I have had enough!” The Captain slammed the quill onto his desk, then stood, kicking his chair across the room.

“I will NOT be trapped in this rabbit hutch one moment longer..I am going out”.
The irate Captain swept all the remaining parchments into the bin, then placed them on Telryn’s small desk in the corner of the office.
“You love them so much….you do them!”

Pausing briefly to close the window Glyndr smiled his impish smile as he saw Lalaith approaching.
Closing the window with a much gentler attitude, Glyndr opened the door as she arrived.

“Lalaith” he swept her up in his arms and carried her into the office, the door kicked firmly closed behind them.

“ I have missed you”, he said with feeling as he kissed her hard, “Where have you been?”
Glyndr looked at her with a slight frown, “Lalaith my love, you are very warm” he said slowly, concern creeping into his voice,“What have you been doing since last I saw you at the training grounds talking to the others?

Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2006 09:04
((Morgai is very glad that Bellas is otherwise engaged at the moment... angry smith = dead brother of Arato.))

"It may well be Captain Glyndr. He will stop at nothing to see you killed."

I'm being watched by the Captain? Morgai thought as he continued his "assault" on the elleth pinned to the tree before him. I better be careful, then.

"Thank you," he whispered into her neck just before she shoved him away from her and, as he noticed, well away from the sword of the elf that stepped between himself and Neth. Morgai drew his swords, readying himself for the oncoming attack.

Surprisingly, the elf wasn't nearly as good as he had anticipated. He was strong, though, seeing as he was pushing Morgai steadily back towards the river. Ducking under the slice that was aimed at his head, he spun around the elf to get away from the trecherous footing the riverbank provided.

Out of the corner of his eye, Morgai saw Neth being helped up onto a horse by a very strong-looking elf, who mounted behind her before kicking the poor beast into a gallop away from the battle and back towards Imladris. Morgai inwardly smiled with satisfaction. Ondet's plan was going very well.

"No!" Morgai cried, trying to get to Mordome to look like he was putting up a chase. He was stopped as another one of the rescuers stepped into his path and thrusting a sword at him. Morgai found himself jumping back to avoid being impaled on the blade. He finally realized it was time to pull back, seeing as he only had two men left fighting.

"Back to camp!" the dark-haired man yelled, fighting his way back to the horses. "Back to camp, now! We're outnumbered!" Springing up onto his horse's back, he grabbed the lead of the blue that Neth had been riding on and then one of the other horses, kicking his own into a gallop. He could hear the two men and the other horses following him.
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2006 11:34
"As I've said, I don't know if it is an elf or not," Arato said. Rolan swung his legs into the wall as he attempted to stand up, causing Arato to cringe. As Rolan took a few wobbly, Arato reached out and gently took hold of his elbow. "Keep going that way and you'll walk into a wall," he said, steering Rolan away from the wall and towards the doorway. Once out of the Halls of the Healing, they were in open hallway, so Arato turned Rolan in the right direction and let go of him.

"Aiden and Eadoin aren't really my brothers. I mean, they are, but we're not related by blood. The man I'm speaking of is actually related to me by blood. Keene is the only one who knows he exists. We haven't seen each other in nearly 16 years." Arato sighed. "His name is Morgai."

"Fancy name, that," Rolan commented, roaming forward, trusting Arato to keep him from running into anything. He wanted to be outside, in the open air. Elves were marvelous at building things, but there were little flaws that were evident now to Rolan's senses. He wanted to feel the slight stirring of the air that marked being outside. Elves couldn't recreate that indoors - no one could.

He wandered the hallways with Arato until finally he found his way out. He felt the gentle half-breeze ruffle his blonde hair lightly. He could smell the dew and feel the slight chill that meant a storm was coming. A slight bitter scent, like charred brush told him that it was a thunder storm, and there would be lightning. It was a few marks away, at least.

"Where is ev'ryone?"

Ari exchanged a few clumsy strikes and blocks with Faeringil, always being careful not to hit too hard. But as she began to fall back into a rhythm, Ari's body began to remember the training she'd gone through centuries ago. She had been a good fighter then - not the hero of wars or the undefeated champion of tournaments, but a decently good fighter among Elves. Her favorite move came to her, and she began to pull the setup, inching back towards the chalked boundary of the circle, letting her opponent - Fae ceased to be anyone, became just another thing to beat - feel as if he had gained the upper hand. She was waiting, her reflexes rusty and slow, but quick enough to perhaps drive him out of the circle with the double cresant.

He came. She swung, turning as she did so, and the sword made hard contact right below the collarbone. Ari snapped out of her meditative state and dropped her sword, pulled of her helmet and rushed forward. "Are you all right?" she asked quickly, setting a hand on Fae's shoulder. "I'm so sorry - I didn't mean that. " She paused, "Are you okay?"

The camp was quiet. Too quiet. There was a presence missing from here. Not Di'shan - Dirk knew that much. It was more subtle than Di'shan's terror-inspiring presence. He cast about for a name, a face - anything. Then he had it, after about a mark and a half of slinking through the camp, over and over. Morgai was missing. Why that should be so was beyond Dirk's understanding. Why would Morgai risk Ondet's anger by slipping off wihtout permission. At least, Dirk assumed it was without permission. He hadn't heard of any orders that would require the second to leave camp. Morgai could jeopardize his position by pulling this stunt. Dirk smiled grimly. He liked that prospect.

The Rohirrim slipped off into the woods, thinking as he wandered aimlessly, marking his passage with a little x carved onto trees he passed. It was plausible for him to return home now, and on several occasions he almost had. Di'shan was gone on an errand, and by the time he returned and Ondet sent him off after Dirk's family, Dirk would have them all to saftey. He could have gone back, and they would be safe. There was a nagging feeling in him that he was needed back home - but he hadn't gone.

And I don't think I will, Dirk thought to himself, resting his head against a tree trunk. It's been - ye gods! - it's been six years since I've seen them. Jeth would have been near fourteen now. My sweet summer child. Trevan's nine now and Rynan ten. How could I have left them? he thought mournfully. Even as he questioned himself, he knew the answer. He couldn't have let the threat posed by Ondet come to passing when the Elf had first passed through the Rohirrim's land. 'Come with me or they all die -' that had been his message, his warning. And Dirk had gone.

He wondered if they would know him if he returned. His hair had become very, very long. Much longer than he used to wear it. So much time spent in the sun had weathered his skin beyond the gentle tan color it had used to be. So much horror in this place had tempered his spirit and dimmed the light in his eyes. Would they recognize him in this cowardly man? Did he even dare return home, attempting to reclaim his spot in their lives? The possibility of rebuke, of being turned away was too much for him to bear. He would not leave, but he sent his love to them on the winds.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 06, 2006 06:20
(I’m not sure about what time of day bellas would make it back, so I’ll leave that open Hope this is ok with everyone... if I need to edit, let me know! )

"Bellas...Bellas, save me..." Neth then went limp in his arms

Bellas felt his throat tightening, but he swung up on the horse with her in his arms (with more than a little difficulty) and then settled her before him, sparing only a glance to the others before spurring the stallion and taking off through the trees. They would be alright without him- he had to get Neth back.

He pounded through the woods for a short distance and then slowed, and listened. He heard one of their enemies calling a retreat, and with a satisfied grunt the smith headed for Imladris, the wounded elleth held close against his broad chest and the heart that beat for her. The trees flew by as the ground became steeper, but the sure footed horse didn’t falter. They rode for a good long while without stopping, and his passenger didn’t do more than stir once or twice. At one point he simply buried his face in her pale hair, agonized for her pain and wishing he could have borne it for her.

Finally they made it back to Imladris, coming into the courtyard. Many people rushed out to meet them.
“Send for Captain Glyndr,” he said to one of them, still holding Neth in his arms as he dismounted, “And tell him that Telyrn and the rest are on their way.”

The elven smith carried her to the healing houses himself- he trusted no one else with her care. Once he’d let her gently down on a bed two elleths told him he had to leave while they undressed and bathed her, but before he went he gently caressed her bruised cheek and kissed her brow.
“Everything will be fine,” he told her in a voice soft and low, then allowed himself to be pushed outside, where he waited for Glyndr to come, and for the rest of the rescue party to arrive.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Lalaith was walking to Glyndr’s study when she heard her husband’s voice from within it, shouting at his work and at Telyrn in his absence. She smiled fondly and shook her head, merely amused by his temper. He had never shouted at her out of anger, though nearly everyone else in Imladris had heard from him at one time or another. She knew that he could be… ‘difficult’… but she absolutely adored even that of his traits. Before she even knocked the door was opened, and he stood there smiling. “Lalaith,” he said, and she giggled with delight when he swept her off her feet and carried her back inside.

“ I have missed you”, he said with feeling as he kissed her hard, “Where have you been?”
Glyndr looked at her with a slight frown, “Lalaith my love, you are very warm” he said slowly, concern creeping into his voice,“What have you been doing since last I saw you at the training grounds talking to the others?

Slightly breathless from his kiss, she smiled and traced her fingers through his coal black locks.
“Istale and I did some practice with swords out under the sunlight- with the blunt wooden ones, my love, and I didn’t overexert myself.”
She slipped her arms around his waist and hugged him tightly, resting her golden head against his chest.
“The time may come when I have to fight to defend myself, my love… but I promise that I am in perfect health, as are our little ones. I told Istale the news… I hope you don’t mind, but I just had to tell someone, Glyndr. I was very near bursting with it.”

A playful smile touched her lips and she tugged at his hair.
“If you scold me for playing with swords then I shall scold you for playing with an invisible enemy on that insane horse of yours.”

---------------------------------------------------------

Narmion had been enjoying speaking with Amata… more than he’d expected he could… but he was getting antsy, and was weary with just ‘sitting’ in the bed. So he suggested to Amata that he walk outside. He wasn’t quite sure if he could manage it- but he was feeling stronger, was getting stronger as time passed, and was desperate to get out of that sickroom.

It took an ellon to aid him up, and he tried to hide the fact that his muscles blatantly protested the movement- but with some doing he got into some more appropriate robes for going out, and was given a cane to lean on. The badly injured arm was resting in a sling, and in ached- the badly cut leg hurt too, not to mention the countless other wounds that were slowly healing into nothing but scars that stung. But Narmion was able to ignore it for the most part as he made his slow way outside, Amata on one side and the ellon on the other though he refused any help but that of the cane.

When they’d made it out under the sunlight he drew in a deep breath and sighed, then gladly accepted aid to sit on a bench. He’d not looked at himself in any mirrors they’d passed but he guessed that he still had a sickly, battered look about him- the elves that passed glanced quickly at him then turned away. He ignored them too, and concentrated on drinking in the warmth of the sun and the freshness of the air… and the delight of having Amata with him.

(still no idea what to do with delvan >< anyone can approach narmion… he’d like some conversation )
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2006 12:17
As he and Rolan wandered the hallways of Imladris, Arato was surprised at how little help Rolan needed to get around the place. Whenever he did need to change the boy's direction, he only needed to place a hand on his shoulder and give a gentle push to get Rolan moving in the right direction. The way Rolan was adapting to moving without his sight was very impressive.

"Where is ev'ryone?"

The question woke Arato from his daze as they stepped outside. Rolan hadn't spoken much as they had walked.

"I think Narmion is still in the healing wing, or he was when we left," Arato said. "I would imagine that Captain Glyndr is dealing with defenses and possibly reports. As for the others, I'm sure they've found some way to amuse themselves." His leg gave a twinge, reminding him that the wound he had recieved a while before when they had met that force of orcs north of Imladris hadn't quite healed. Wincing, Arato limped to a bench and sat down with a soft groan. "They're very good at that sort of thing.

----------

After many tense minutes of retreat from the battle, Morgai signalled his two remaining men to halt. Dismounting, he patted Mordome on the neck and walked a few feet further into the trees to listen for pursuit. Satisfied that there was none, he turned to his men, the two brothers he had recruited.

"I'm going to take the blue roan with me," he said. "Take my horse and the others and head back to camp. Tell Lord Ondet that everything has gone as planned so far and inform him that I've doubled back to be certain that none of the elves have followed us."

"Yes sir," the elder said, taking the reins of one of the horses that Morgai had been leading. The younger hesitated for a moment.

"What of the she-elf, sir?" he asked quietly.

"I'll deal with her on my own," Morgai growled.

"You're certain she'll return?"

"She'll return, I'm almost certain. I wouldn't think that she'd want any harm to come to the one she loves."

"The strong-looking elf that carried her away?" the elder asked. Morgai nodded and mounted the roan that Neth had been riding, nudging it into a trot back the way they had come. His men turned and returned to camp with their news.

((It's short, yeah, but it's the best I can do right now.))
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2006 06:13
...before he went he gently caressed her bruised cheek and kissed her brow.
“Everything will be fine,” he told her in a voice soft and low, then allowed himself to be pushed outside, where he waited for Glyndr to come, and for the rest of the rescue party to arrive.

Neth wanted to call out to Bellas, but she knew she had to continue to pretend she was only semiconscious. She allowed herself to be bathed and dressed in fresh clothes, and then to have her bruises and cuts attended by the healers. Once it was established that she had no broken bones, she asked the healer softly, "Would it be alright if I go to my own bed? I will be able to better rest there. I promise, I will stay in bed once I get there."

Her voice was soft and slightly hesitant, and after several minutes of consultation, the healer agreed to allow her to rest in her own quarters.

She was escorted there by the elleths who had tended her, and once there, she asked them to please open her window so she could get fresh air. Neth climbed obediently into her bed, and waited for them to leave, and then she leaned out the window and hung a piece of her dress she had been wearing when she was "rescued" outside the window, waiting for dark to come.

Neth knew that Morgai would come to her, to ensure that she was still his, if nothing else. She also knew that both of them feared Ondet making good on his threat. Neth had come upon the only solution. She and Morgai had no other option but to speak vows to one another.

At least if they wed, there might be a chance that the love they shared might sustain them in the most dire of circumstances.

"Morgai, I have all faith in you. I know you will come to me, and I know you know that I will do what is right," she whispered softly.

There was a knock on the door, and she said softly, "Come in." One of the elleths came in with some tea, and Neth asked softly for her to find Bellas and give him a note from her.

Dearest Bellas,
Thank you, for all your faith, for your strength and determination to save me. I always knew there was a special connection between us. Perhaps one day we can explore that connection and find out what it is that makes us such good friends.

With affection,
Nethraueth

She smiled after the elleth left the room. The stage was being set. Now she just needed to wait for nightfall.

[Edited on 8/9/2006 by Iell-daughter-of-elves]

[Edited on 9/9/2006 by Iell-daughter-of-elves]
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2006 11:23
Telryn stumbled backwards, twisting to try to get the advantage over Morgai.
The young soldier trying desperately to drive the man back into the river, cursing as Morgai regained the ground he had taken.

Telryn steadied himself, then flew after Morgai as he ran to try to stop Bellas from taking Neth to safety.
“No!” Telryn screamed, knowing that he was too far away to even try to stop Morgai.
“Oh no, I am lost..Captain Glyndr will..” Telryn slowed, a look of slight relief on his face as another tried to stop Morgai from preventing Bellas from escaping, Neth safe in his arms.

The frantic young Section Leader stood gasping for breath as Morgai called to his dwindling forces to fall back to safety.
He walked slowly towards a fallen tree, and then throwing his sword down with a resounding clang, he sat down on the tree, his head in his hands.

“We did it!” he whispered as he ran shaking hands through his battle tangled hair, “Neth is safe now…. she is going home to Imladris…thank the Valar”.

Telryn had never felt so exhilarated, or so nervous, afraid of his Captain god’s wrath.
It was Bellas who would bear Neth home safely in his strong arms…. when the whole task had been given to him by his Captain…… under his command.

Telryn hoped that as Neth had been brought back safely, that Captain Glyndr would consider the task, and the, oh so needed trust in him, complete.

“Regroup!” the tired , yet still eager Telryn commanded, “We are going back to Imladris, Well done! We have succeeded in our task”
The dark haired soldier stood slowly, “We go back to the horses..then home”.

“Practicing?” Glyndr frowned, he was not convinced it was a good idea, “I do not want you taking any unnecessary risks, and wooden swords can still cause damage!”

The raven haired Captain kissed his wife tenderly, “yet I suppose you must know how to defend yourself”, he said softly, a dark tone in his cold voice, “ I cannot always be with you…. and the evil draws ever closer, I want only for you, and our precious new lives to be safe”.

Glyndr’s wicked half smile replaced the familiar darkness that glowed in the depths of his ice blue eyes, “ Of course I don’t mind who you share our secret with….It will soon become evident” he grinned as he placed his hand gently on her already , he thought, slightly rounded abdomen.

“ Lalaith….Glyndr pulled her closer to him as he nuzzled her neck with soft kisses.. “Lalaith…I..”

A sudden knock at the door drove the Captain mad…” Valar! …What is it?” he snarled as he pulled open the door sharply, death written in his demon glare.
“Telryn is on his way back?” Glyndr held the unfortunate messenger by the throat, “ is that what you said? And Neth is back ..here in Imladris ???”

Glyndr dropped the poor unfortunate, and then grabbing Lalaith by the hand trampled the messenger on his way to the house of healing.

“That little brat Telryn surprises me, my trust was well given, although in that I doubted myself”, Glyndr growled, “ Valar, I had my doubts about him, …. yet he still has to explain why he is not here and Neth is!”

The Captain slowed as he reached the house of healing, he had seen Bellas waiting.

“Smith”, Glyndr appeared beside him in his usual subtle way.. Lalaith still at his side, “ Tell me”, the ice blue gaze bore deep into his eyes …searching… “ Where is Telryn… why are you here alone…and more importantly, Glyndr’s ice sharp eyes narrowed …tell me of Neth….I must speak with her”.

Glyndr’s frost sharp eyes betrayed nothing of his thoughts. “Yes, Neth….” he thought darkly.. … “There is much I must learn from you”.

[Edited on 11/9/2006 by elflyn]
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 12, 2006 06:09
(Sal, Nimmy, hope its ok to let narmion go talk to rolan and arato… and for lalaith dragging glyndr all over the place, Flyn… if I need to edit, please let me know!)

“Practicing?” Glyndr frowned, he was not convinced it was a good idea, “I do not want you taking any unnecessary risks, and wooden swords can still cause damage!”

The raven haired Captain kissed his wife tenderly, “yet I suppose you must know how to defend yourself”, he said softly, a dark tone in his cold voice, “ I cannot always be with you…. and the evil draws ever closer, I want only for you, and our precious new lives to be safe”.

“I know,” she said, idly fingering his collar as she gazed into his blue eyes. It did feel as if darkness was growing over Imladris, and she feared its coming. The rumor of one of their own kin turned against them was unnerving. An elf that would ally himself with orcs and evil men… she sighed, wishing she wouldn’t think about it.

Glyndr’s wicked half smile replaced the familiar darkness that glowed in the depths of his ice blue eyes, “ Of course I don’t mind who you share our secret with….It will soon become evident” he grinned as he placed his hand gently on her already , he thought, slightly rounded abdomen.

“ Lalaith….Glyndr pulled her closer to him as he nuzzled her neck with soft kisses.. “Lalaith…I..”

A sudden knock at the door drove the Captain mad…” Valar! …What is it?” he snarled as he pulled open the door sharply, death written in his demon glare.
“Telryn is on his way back?” Glyndr held the unfortunate messenger by the throat, “ is that what you said? And Neth is back ..here in Imladris ???”

Glyndr dropped the poor unfortunate, and then grabbing Lalaith by the hand trampled the messenger on his way to the house of healing.

Lalaith looked down on the unlucky messenger as she walked pass, bending slightly to touch his shoulder, turning after her husband since he seemed to be hurrying (and not letting go of her hand). He was mumbling and grumbling, and the elleth pursed her lips against scolding him for his treatment of the elf.

Bellas had been waiting solemnly, not entirely sure what to think of himself or what was in his heart. He was wringing his hands as he waited. Glyndr almost seemed to appear out of nowhere beside him, and the smith turned to look at him in slight annoyance. He noticed Lalaith standing there as well, an apologetic look already on her fair face.

“Smith”, Glyndr appeared beside him in his usual subtle way.. Lalaith still at his side, “ Tell me”, the ice blue gaze bore deep into his eyes …searching… “ Where is Telryn… why are you here alone…and more importantly, Glyndr’s ice sharp eyes narrowed …tell me of Neth….I must speak with her”.

“First,” Bellas said, “We will move away from this place. Please walk with me.”

Lalaith held Glyndr’s hand tightly and squeezed to remind him not to snap as they walked with the smith, although she kept silent.

“I am here with Neth because Telyrn and the others were engaged in battle,” Bellas began, “As we neared the camp we saw a group of men with Neth, though I don’t know where they were taking her. It was as the leader seemingly began to abuse her that we attacked, and found ourselves battling trained soldiers. If Telyrn had been the one closest to Neth, he would be the one who had brought her home- but, as things go, he was fighting the leader of the rabble, and I was the only one of our company near enough to rescue her. So I took her onto my horse and fled, and Telyrn and the rest stayed behind to cover our escape. I heard the enemy calling retreat, but I dared not wait for the company. Neth needed to see healers as quickly as possible…. She has been badly wounded.”

He went on to list her hurts that he had seen, adding that when he’d left her shortly before she’d been in no condition to talk at all.
“I beg you to let her rest for now, Captain,” Bellas sighed, looking levelly at Glyndr, “Give her time. Telyrn and the others will return soon, and they will have reports that tell more than I can.”

“Thank-you, Bellas,” Lalaith said, wrapping her arm around her love’s waist, “You should take rest as well. We will send for you if you’re needed again.”

After a few more words the smith bowed politely and then did as asked, sighing and running his hands through his hair as he made his way to the smithy. The furnaces had been cold for hours now, but he didn’t feel up to working- he sought only to rest, and to think, in his most comfortable place.

Lalaith turned to Glyndr as Bellas left, and she kissed his lips lightly.
“You really must master that temper of yours, my love,” she said, twisting some of his hair between her fingers, “It’s a miracle that the messenger isn’t still laying at the door of your study like a throw rug. Come, we can at least speak to the healers and find out how Neth is doing, if we can’t speak to her directly.”

When they arrived back to the healing houses they were told that Neth had been escorted to her old chambers, and that she was resting. Then they went outside to find Narmion and Amata sitting under the sunlight. Lalaith blinked in surprise, for the last time she’d seen Narmion he’d looked frailer, more ashen- and he definitely hadn’t been smiling. When he turned to look at them there was a slightly haunted look about his eyes, though she guessed it would always be there. She smiled warmly and greeted them both, noticing that the dark haired ellon had Amata’s hand in his own, then, “How are you feeling, Narmion?”

“Warmer,” he said with a smile, “I am healing quickly, thank you. And what about you, Lalaith, Glyndr? You look… different.”

“Oh,” Lalaith said, and blushed a little as she glanced at Glyndr, “We, ahm… we are ‘expecting’, you see…”

“Really?” Narmion smiled broadly, a large, genuine smile that made his eyes light up, “Congratulations, then, Glyndr! That means I will be an uncle... wonderful news!”

They spoke for a bit longer but then someone shouted that Telyrn’s company was returning… and so Lalaith and Glyndr swept off to meet them, the elleth still holding her love’s hand tightly in her own. She knew, or could guess, how hard Telyrn had worked, and she- for one- was proud of him. She only hoped Glyndr would see his accomplishment, and not only any faults.

Narmion watched them walk away with a faint smile. Children! Glyndr was to be a father. He chuckled and looked at Amata, smiling into her beautiful eyes.
“What a family that will be,” he said, “I wonder if the little ones will shout as much as their Ada?”

Presently he grew tired of sitting- again- and asked Amata to walk with him around to the other entrance of the healing houses. He wouldn’t wander too far from these halls, anyway, though he longed for his own chambers. He knew he would still need tending. With the cane and Amata’s aid he made his slow way around, delighting in the feel of the breeze and the sound of leaves and birds… but when they rounded the corner he saw someone he’d certainly not expected to see. There sat Arato, and nearby stood Rolan. The elf swallowed the lump in his throat as he stopped walking, just staring at the boy. He was thinner and paler than he used to be, and his eyes would be forever unseeing- but he stood with his head cocked, as though he were listening. Memories of what had occurred in the enemy camp, in Di’Shan’s tent, came back to the elf like a flood and he nearly faltered in his step, feeling his legs weaken considerably. Still, he blamed himself for what the boy had endured- still, he was ashamed of himself for breaking down and letting go important information, and for being the cause of the lad's pain.
Somehow Narmion knew Rolan could tell he was approaching, though he couldn’t see it, so there was no going in the other direction… so, swallowing again, for the elf was suddenly very anxious, he continued on his way.

“Good day, Arato,” he greeted, “And you too, R-Rolan…. H-how are you?”

Bellas had been resting in the smithy, eyes closed, thinking of Neth, when an elleth brought a message from her. With shaking hands he unfolded the missive and read it.

Dearest Bellas,
Thank you, for all your faith, for your strength and determination to save me. I always knew there was a special connection between us. Perhaps one day we can explore that connection and find out what it is that makes us such good friends.

With affection,
Nethraueth

His eyes scanned the parchment many times as he took in these words. She felt it too..? Did that mean- could she possibly return his love? Maybe not… but, at least he had her affection. With a slight smile he folded the paper and put it inside his tunic breast-pocket, next to his heart. As soon as he deemed it proper he would go to her, and try to explain how he felt… and apologize for driving her away in the first place…
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2006 04:08
"Where is ev'ryone?"

The question woke Arato from his daze as they stepped outside. Rolan hadn't spoken much as they had walked.

"I think Narmion is still in the healing wing, or he was when we left," Arato said. "I would imagine that Captain Glyndr is dealing with defenses and possibly reports. As for the others, I'm sure they've found some way to amuse themselves." His leg gave a twinge, reminding him that the wound he had recieved a while before when they had met that force of orcs north of Imladris hadn't quite healed. Wincing, Arato limped to a bench and sat down with a soft groan. "They're very good at that sort of thing."

Mutely Rolan nodded, his ears trained on the other human, but his face looking off at some distant point nothing could guess at. Then there were footsteps and he knew someone was coming. Someone he knew.

“Good day, Arato,” he greeted, “And you too, R-Rolan…. H-how are you?”

He knew that voice. He knew that voice! But somehow or other, his mind refused to place it. "I know yer voice," Rolan stated blandly, still appearing to be looking out into space with his ruined eyes. "But I'm not sure where I know it from..." he trailed off, fiddling with a corner of his too-big tunic in one hand. It was one of the Elves' they had told him. They meaning the Healers. He knew who the Healers were. They were the ones who brought so many strange smelling concoctions to him and told him that he should drink them, that it may help him. He'd often just knocked them over by 'accident' because the foul smelling liquid tasted little better than its odor suggested.

He knew the voice! So why couldn't he place it?

This whole thing about being blind - he remembered colors and places, but faces were fading and scenery was bluring to black and white that faded into gray behind his closed eyelids. There seemed to be gaps in memories, and people and places that he knew nothing about appeared in them at strange times. What was happening to him? And why didn't he know the name of the owner of The Voice?

OOc// Sorry it's so short. Gotta run.
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2006 09:10
The Captain remained calm as Bellas spoke, the warning squeeze from Lalaith’s hand noted with only a slight indignant glance at her.

Glyndr’s attention focussed sharply on the smith as he told of the battle, and of Neth.
He frowned as he heard of the injuries she had suffered.
His anger grew with the hatred of those foul humans who had harmed her, and more so of that traitor to the elven race, one who did not deserve the right to be even named as an elf, that anger drove deeper into the dark side of his soul.

Glyndr sought revenge in whatever way he could; he would do everything to destroy the evil that threatened those that still survived in Imladris, those unspeakable creatures that threatened his race and everything he lived for…who threatened his Lalaith and the unborn new lives.

“I shall go to Neth, when the time is right”, the Captain said coldly, “ she must rest, as you say” he added, “ It is very important that I speak with her”.

Glyndr merely nodded in reply to Bellas’ departing bow, he left Lalaith to speak for them both, the elf’s thoughts on Neth , and the return of Telryn.

He needed so many answers to so many questions. Time, he feared, was running out fast, and he was desperate to get the defences for the already battle torn Imladris in place quickly.

“Messengers are always the bringers of bad news” Glyndr countered Lalaith’s light hearted scolding about his treatment of the messenger that had come to his office, the sharpness fading from his voice as she kissed him.
“They deserve what they get”, he added in his thoughts with a grin.

Following after his wife swiftly to the houses of healing, Glyndr was not surprised to learn that Neth was resting, that she had been taken to her old rooms surprised him a little, but he said nothing, there had to be some reason.

“ An uncle”, Glyndr nodded, “ Narmion my friend, I could not wish for a better-suited elf than you to become uncle to our elflings, in fact you will make a perfect elfling sitter”.
The Captain smiled secretly to himself,as he nodded a greeting to Amata.
He was more than pleased to see Narmion free from the cold, clinical healing room he had last seen him in.
Yet, Glyndr saw the horrors that still lived behind Narmion’s smile….Glyndr knew exactly how his close friend fought those terrors…Glyndr had faced his own terrors…alike….yet ….so different, many years ago. They had made him what he was.

“I am pleased to hear that you are feeling better” Glyndr regarded Narmion with a genuine look of concern, “But you must take care, do don't try to rush your healing”
He turned his gaze to Amata, “ Make sure he does not”, he instructed her as if she were one of his soldiers, “He needs someone to keep a watch on him”.

Turning to go towards the gate at which Telryn would be returning, Glyndr nodded a farewell to Narmion and Amata.
“ I will visit you soon Narmion,” the Captain said with a smile, “ I need an escape from the mountain of parchment, and besides Telryn is back…he can sort the hideous stuff out”.

“So”, Glyndr stood facing the gate, his arms folded as he watched Telryn and his battle worn section returning, “So, the warrior returns”.

The Captain cast a glance over the remaining soldiers, assessing for injuries and losses.
“ Hmm, better than I thought”, he mused, “very few soldiers and horses missing, and from what I can tell, very few injuries. Impressive for a little quill wielder like Telryn”.
Glyndr glanced at Lalaith and arched an eyebrow as he walked sedately forward to meet the section.

His arms still folded across his chest, Glyndr stopped and waited for Telryn to come to him.

Telryn’s heart missed a beat as he saw the tall elf Captain watching him, as still, and as cold as a marble statue.
“Please Valar…please let the Captain not be angry with me” the anxious young soldier ran a trembling hand through tangled, dark hair as he prayed desperately; “Please let him be proud of me”.

Telryn slid from his horse’s back, stumbling a little as he landed, the horse shied back, Telryn stumbled again, “No” he cursed under his breath, the soldier had wanted to make a good first impression on his return.
He felt so stupid now.

Taking a deep breath, he walked slowly to face his Captain god.
“Captain,” Telryn nodded a bow before looking up at his Captain with anxious dark blue eyes.
“Captain, I hope that Neth has returned here safely with Bellas” , he swallowed hard, his eyes locked onto his captain’s unblinking gaze, “ I….I am so sorry that I did not ….” He began.

“Soldier, I do not need excuses,” Glyndr’s cold voice stopped him sharply, “ You are not an errant elfling pleading forgiveness …so stop acting like one, it does not suit you ….. You have carried out my orders, Neth has been brought back to Imladris safely, and that is all that concerns me”.

Glyndr flicked a stray lock of hair from his eyes then turned away.
“Come with me Section Leader” he ordered brusquely, yet with a hint of his approval of the young soldier, “ I want a full report, now”.

The Captain took Lalaith’s hand, and smiled a secret smile at her as he led them back towards his office, the long way round that took them close to the healing houses.

Glyndr slowed as he recognised Rolan with Arato, he noticed that Narmion and Amata were also there.
The look on Narmion’s face worried Glyndr, he sensed keenly his friend’s distress, and was concerned that meeting Rolan again did not fire too many dark memories and fears.
The Captain also needed to speak with Arato.

Squeezing Lalaith’s hand, Glyndr moved towards the group, aware that his Lalaith could also probably sense Narmion’s fears.

“ Please excuse the interruption”, Glyndr said calmly, “I must speak quickly with Arato”.

“Arato, Telryn and I are on our way to my office, I have asked for a full report on what has happened during the rescue attempt. I think it may be beneficial if you join us, I leave the decision to you”.

The elf Captain turned his gaze to Rolan, he had heard the conversation, and it unnerved him slightly, remembering vividly the scene that had met him and Arato in the tent at the camp.
“Rolan”, he said quietly, “Do not try to remember too quickly, and do not be afraid when some things seem so distant, others so unfamiliar…just give yourself all the time you need, you have friends here who will be here for you when you need them”.

Feeling still a little uneasy, Glyndr stepped back a few paces before turning to leave, “If I am needed, I shall be found in my office for the next half hour”, he said as he once again took Lalaith’s hand in his, “Telryn and I have much to discuss”.

[Edited on 15/9/2006 by elflyn]
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 15, 2006 09:27
(( *rants and raves* This post should have been up at least an hour ago... but I got called away from the computer, and then had difficulty with copying files, and installing a driver thing (whatever it was) and then it goes mad, and then... aaarggghhh!!!! *rips hair out*
Anyway, I've posted. Please don't faint with shock! ))

He came. She swung, turning as she did so, and the sword made hard contact right below the collarbone. Ari snapped out of her meditative state and dropped her sword, pulled of her helmet and rushed forward. "Are you all right?" she asked quickly, setting a hand on Fae's shoulder. "I'm so sorry - I didn't mean that. " She paused, "Are you okay?"

Faeringil staggered and fell under the force of the blow, his senses erupting in a flash of pain. Although wearing chain mail, it didn’t quite cover all of that area of his body and as he dropped his own sword, he raised a hand. Blood spilled over it, and he watched in vague interest, as if not quite understanding. It wasn’t exactly a major flow, only a small cut, really. The blood was insignificant – it was the pain which bit into him like nothing he’d ever felt before. He raised his brown eyes to Arianna, and smiled faintly. “No, I don’t think I am.” He pressed his hands against the floor in an attempt to get to his feet, but gasped out in agony.

Amata would love to see me, now, he thought bitterly. She would laugh to see this… me, trying to spar. He sat on the ground, breathing in short sharp gasps, his face half screwed up. He felt like screaming until the sky fell on his head, but he wouldn’t. Glancing up at Arianna, he saw the worry on his face. “Not your fault.” He frowned deeply, and gingerly touched the place at the seat of his neck. “I… I think I must have broken…” he pressed his fingers against the area, and drew his breath through his teeth in a hiss as a result of the pain. “I must have broken my collarbone.”

Faeringil shut his eyes tight against the pain, thinking of Amata again. What was it to her if he failed or not… I am a wimp, I am… he tried not to think the words, but they just came and plagued him. Arianna hadn’t even meant to hurt him, and she was rusty at sparring.
After trying to raise himself once more and failing, “I think I need a hand up,” he said quietly.

“Have you heard how Rolan is faring?” he asked, his mind going at once to the boy who had shared in his pain- who he’d ‘given’ to their torturer, “I’ve not heard a thing for what seems a terribly long time... I’m worried for him.”

Amata shook her head, but was too embarrassed to say that she had thought primarily of Narmion himself. Her eyes lingered thoughtfully on him, having noticed him shudder. She could not even begin to image what he and Rolan must have been through…in the ‘tent’.

“What a family that will be,” he said, “I wonder if the little ones will shout as much as their Ada?”

“I’m sure they shall,” Amata said with a wicked smile, before continuing, “though I hope Lalaith manages to pass on her share of… sense. Glyndr is reckless, and I hope his children will be more careful than he.” Amata paused in her speech. She wouldn’t wish Glyndr any other way, actually – and could now see why Lalaith had fallen for him. A year ago, she had heartily disliked Glyndr, and couldn’t imagine why Lalaith loved him, but now it was different. She knew Glyndr was someone to be admired… but still, she didn’t think she could ever have married someone like him. Perhaps children would soften him?

Amata looked at Narmion, and studied his face – though not blatantly. She did not want him to feel under scrutiny. He was a great deal paler than she was used to seeing him, and although seemingly in fair spirits, she sensed an air of discomfort about him. This was accentuated when he suddenly stopped in the sight of Arato and Rolan.
She looked at the poor child, and felt her heart skip a beat. She wanted to run to the enemy camp and kill them all with her bare hands… how could they? How could they do this to Rolan… and Narmion, too.
The half-elf remained silent as Narmion nervously spoke, but her hand subconsciously tightened around his.

"I know yer voice," Rolan stated blandly, still appearing to be looking out into space with his ruined eyes. "But I'm not sure where I know it from..."

Her eyes flickering in something like shock, Amata’s gaze darted between the three males. Could Rolan not remember? She did not understand. Amata suddenly felt like running away and bursting into tears again. If Rolan could not recall Narmion, then he had no chance of remembering her. She’d been away so long.

Then Glyndr appeared, and she watched him talk with Rolan, still remaining silent herself. Her heart was heavy, and she did not feel moved to speak. No words seemed right.

[Edited on 15/9/2006 by anduril269]
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2006 11:22
((Whoo, good posties! Thanks to everybuggy for giving me so many ideas to work with! Further.... ANDY!*hugs*))

"Aiden, stop!" Eadoin cried, bringing up his sword to block his brother's. He had seen Faeringil fall, and he could see the blood seeping from the cut he had sustained. Being the son of a healer as he was, his sympathetic side was taking the fore and forcing him to stop what he was doing to help the elf.

"What?" Aiden asked in reply, lowering his sword and brushing his hair out of his eyes.

"Faeringil's hurt," Eadoin explained, sheathing his sword and hurrying over to the other training ring. He crouched at the elf's side in time to hear him speak of his injuries.

“I… I think I must have broken…” he pressed his fingers against the area, and drew his breath through his teeth in a hiss as a result of the pain. “I must have broken my collarbone.”

"Broken it?" Eadoin asked. He frowned. It would probably be best to let the healers see to this. They probably could do a better job of setting it without causing Faeringil more pain. He stood up. "Here," he said, offering the ellon a hand. "Let's go to the healing halls so you can have this taken care of."

---------

"Narmion, Amata" Arato said in greeting. He hadn't realized the two had approached them until Narmion spoke, but he assumed that Rolan had. He had heard that the loss of one sense made the others sharper, and now he believed it, since he was seeing it himself.

"I know yer voice," Rolan stated blandly, still appearing to be looking out into space with his ruined eyes. "But I'm not sure where I know it from..."

Well, that was a surpising development. Arato had assumed that Rolan would at least remember the names of people he knew, like he had identified Arato by his voice. Of course, on second thought, Arato mused, his name and voice didn't really have any... unpleasant memories attached to them.

As he thought about it, the man realized he was somewhat grateful that Rolan couldn't place Narmion's voice.It would probably bring up some things that were better left forgotten, for the time being. He'd have to keep an eye on the boy...

"I'm glad to see you're walking around," Arato said to the elf. "How are you feeling? You look better, but looks can be decieving." His eyes briefly met Amata's, which looked to be filled with shock. He made a mental note to speak to her, but decided to delay that conversation and the one he was attempting to have with Narmion as Glyndr and Lalaith came around the corner.

"I'll be there shortly, Captain," Arato replied a Glyndr informed him of the report. He turned and approached Rolan. "Do you think you'd be alright here for a while?"

((Short, sorry, but I suppose you'll forgive me when I tell you that Iell and I have something juicy planned for later...))
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2006 06:08
Morgai reigned in the roan a few feet within the tree cover. Dismounting, he tied the horse to the tree and crept forward so he could look down upon the valley of Imladris and observe without being observed himself. He needed to know where Neth was being held... no, where she was staying, he reminded himself. This was not Ondet's camp

There! He caught sight of something being hung from a window. He recognized it, more for the color of the cloth than anything else. It was the same bright blue as the dress Neth was wearing when she was "rescued". Nodding, the dark-haired man resumed his vigil, waiting for nightfall before he made his move.
--
Once she was rid of the elleth with the note, Neth once again got out of bed, this time to cross to the shelves across from her bed. She ran her fingers down the spines of the books there, most of them gifts from Lord Elrond when she was much younger, before she became a warrioress and everyone stopped caring about her. She bit her lip and yanked a book off the shelf, not even caring what it was. She went over by the window seat and sat down, pulling open the book and reading the cover page.

The Art of Elvish Weaponry

Neth snorted derisively. After all, Morgai's sword was as fine as any she had seen forged in Imladris, and it was forged by a Man.
--
Minutes slowly turned into hours as Morgai sat on that hill, creating plan after plan in his head only to discard them moments later when he realized what the weak points were and how vulnerable they would leave him if he was discovered. After nearly an hour of wracking his brain, the Man finally stopped caring about how he was getting in and sat staring down at that little piece of cloth that flapped in the breeze. It was so close, so close...!

Finally, after what seemed like millenia, the sun set and the valley fell into shadow. It was time. Rising halfway to his feet, Morgai carefully picked his way down the slope, keeping to what little cover it provided him with so he wouldn't be seen by the sharp-eyed elf sentries that whoever was in charge must have posted.
--
Neth had bored herself almost to sleep with the book, and she moved closer to the window, hoping to catch a breeze to refresh herself. It would not do for her to be asleep when Morgai came to her, and she still had faith that he would.

She leaned on her hands on the windowsill and closed her eyes, inhaling the scent of the trees...and something else...

A smile crept over her face, though her eyes remained closed for the moment.

Morgai.
--
'Curse those brambles!' Morgai thought as he reached relative safety behind a large screen of bushes, only a short dash from the window he assumed led to the room housing Neth. Pausing to catch his breath, he plucked a few burrs from his sleeves and looked around for any signs of movement. Seeing nothing, he took one last deep breath and looked at the window he was aiming for.

And there she was.

His heart nearly stopped, seeing how beautiful she was once again. And she was going to be his, his beautiful elleth, his love, his Neth, for the rest of his life. Seeing her in the window firmed his resolve, and with one last glance, he stood up and hurried to the window.

"Neth," he whispered once he was below her.
--
She smiled softly and looked down, her eyes sparkling. "Morgai. I knew you would come," she whispered. She gestured towards the tree closest to him and said, "That one is the easiest to climb, but once you get into the branches even with my window, you have to move quickly, or you run the risk of being seen."

Just then there was a knock on her door. Her eyes went wide and she said, "Who is it?" as she hurried to the bed.

"It is Anareil, my lady. I am bringing a message that Lord Elladan wishes to speak with you as soon as you are well."

Neth sighed. "Thank you, Anareil. I do not wish to be disturbed for a while now, as i am going to try to sleep. Please tell the guards at the end of the hall that."

The elleth quickly assented, and her voice retreated from the door. Neth got out of bed and hurried to the window. "Hurry up and get up here, all this jumping under the covers is going to waste," she teased.
--
Morgai cursed silently as they were interrupted and slipped into the shadows behind the tree, waiting until he heard Neth teasing him from above.

“Not to worry, my love, for I shall be there just as soon as this tree allows me up in its branches,” Morgai teased back, climbing into the tree as swiftly as he could manage without falling on his behind.

Creeping along the branches nearing even with her window, Morgai took one last glance around, judged the distance between him and the windowsill, and dove for the window, landing topsy-turvy on the rug at her feet.

"Here I am, my love."
--
Neth giggled, and then crossed to the door and listened for a moment before helping the Man to his feet and embracing him.

"You know what they will do to you if they catch you here, right?"

"Yes, I understand what I'm risking." Morgai leaned forward and kissed her gently on the cheek. "But remember it's all for you."

Neth shook her head as she placed her hands on either side of his face and brushed her lips against his. "This is all for us, Morgai. You and me. If the rest of the world fell away, everyone else disappeared, I wouldn't care as long as we remained." Her second kiss was much firmer and more insistant.

"Neth," Morgai whispered against her lips. "My Neth. I love you." His arms snaked around her body and pressed her firmly against him. "I love you."

"And I love you, Morgai," she whispered as she cradled his face in her hands. "No one else may even understand me and the things I did, but I know you do, and that makes me very happy, my darling."

"Neth, I..." for some reason, Morgai choked on his next words. Gathering himself, he took her hands in his own. "I want to be with you for the rest of my life, Neth. Can we do this, you and I? Can we be together?"

Neth's eyes burned with tears for a moment before they filled. "Morgai, do you mean that? Are you...are you asking me what I think you are?"

"Yes."

Neth stepped back, the tears falling from her eyes and an incredulous look upon her face. "You want me to be...your wife?"

"Do I need to be totally obvious, sweetling?" Morgai asked, kneeling down in front of her and kissing her knuckles one by one. "If you would accept me, I want you to be my wife."

She didn't trust her voice, so she threw her arms around him and nodded her head yes, hoping that that would be enough.

"I don't mean to sound ignorant, sweetling," Morgai said gently, "but is there some sort of ceremony elves go through when wedding?"

"Yes, there is. One in which we make our vows in front of the Valar and then we consummate the marriage."

Morgai sat back on his heels to think for a moment before getting to his feet. Taking her hand, he led her closer to the window so he could see her better. Slowly, softly, he began to speak more eloquently than he knew he could, promising devotion, caring, love to her.

Neth smiled at him as he spoke, her heart fluttering in her chest with love for him, love she never thought she would feel for anyone else.

When he finished, she opened her mouth and began to respond in kind, her words reaching out and wrapping him in a comforting embrace as they wound their way to the ears of the Valar. She spoke of the love she had for him, promising to remain devoted and loving to him for all time. Then she stepped back at her eyes flickered to the part of her room where they would next go.

Morgai's eyes slipped closed as he listened to her voice speak her vows. His heart was feeling fuller than it had since he could remember. He felt warm inside, and safe. When she finished, his eyes opened to watch her face. A wicked grin crossed his own when he noticed where her eyes were looking, and he swept her off her feet.

"Shall we, my songbird?" he asked, taking two steps towards the bed.

"Morgai! You could at least pretend that this has not been on your mind since we met!"

"I could. But I don't want to."

Neth started giggling and kissed him. "I do love you so," she whispered.

"I know," he replied, kissing her back. "I love you as well." He gently set her down in the bed, mindful of the injuries she had sustained from the beating back in Ondet's tent, kicked off his boots, and sat down on the edge of the bed.

Neth put her toes against the back on his ribs and prodded him, to see if he was ticklish.

Neth had found his weak spot on her first try. He squirmed away and mock glared at her. She did it again and licked her lips.

"I think that's enough of that, dear," Morgai said softly, pushing her foot away from his ribs and climbing fully onto the bed, looking down into her face with another wicked grin.

Neth reached up and softly said, "Then find something else for me to do, my love."

"Gladly," he whispered, sitting back to take off his tunic before lowering himself to cover her fully.
--
Sometime later, Neth was lying in Morgai's arms, whispering words softly in his ear.

Morgai gave a contented groan as he listened to her, burrowing back deeper into her bed. It had been a while since he had slept in a bed as nice as this one. He pulled her closer and buried his face in her hair.

"Mmmm... Neth, you're beautiful," he murmured sleepily.

She giggled again and said softly, "No regrets, hervenn nin (my husband)?"

"No regrets, love. Except perhaps not having a knowledge of elvish," Morgai replied, lifting his face long enough to look at her. "What does he - hervenn nin mean?" His tongue stumbled awkwardly over the unfamiliar words.

"Hervenn nin is what you are, Morgai. It means, my husband." Neth snuggled deeper into his arms.

"Oh." Morgai thought about that for a moment. "Then how would I say 'my wife'?"

"Hervess nin." She said it twice slowly, to make sure his tongue didn't trip him up.

"Hervess nin," Morgai repeated obediently. He filed it away for later use. "Do you have any regrets, hervess nin?"

"Only that I had to walk away from you for several hours after we first met."

"Mmm, yes, that was regretful." Morgai sat up and stretched. "I do have regrets now. I regret to say that I may have to leave soon. We wouldn't want to be caught, would we?"

"Who is going to catch us, Morgai? The healers said I need to rest-" she broke off and listened for a moment and then pushed him out of bed and toward his clothes. "Hurry!" she hissed.

“Someone's coming?" Morgai asked in surprise. "I didn't think that... Void, you're right." He could hear the footsteps coming down the hall now, faint as they were. He slithered into his breeches, stepped into his boots and started for the window before he realized his tunic was still in the middle of the floor. He darted back for it and then again for the window.
--
Arato knocked on Neth’s door. He *had* to know if Morgai was in the enemy camp or not, or he would find no sleep wondering. He had to ask the one person who would know for certain – Nethraueth. He knocked again, wondering why she hadn’t answered her door. Was she sleeping? Realizing that he could no longer wait, he placed his hand on the doorknob and turned it.

“Lady Nethraueth? Forgive me for intruding…”

Neth was standing next to the bed and quickly dropped to the floor, crying.

"Thank the Valar! He was going to do something horrible to me!"

Something red flashed over the windowsill as the elleth dropped to the ground crying. Arato sprang to the window to see if he could catch sight of her assailiant, but whoever it was pulled a nice disappearing act. Arato turned around and knelt next to the crying elleth.

"Who was that?" he asked sharply. "Who was about to do something to you? Tell me who it was and I'll inform the guards."

She looked up into Arato's face and pulled back and stared at him, completely startled.

“Who...who are you?"

"Me, my lady?" Arato asked, equally startled by the look of near-recognition in her eyes. "Im Arato, hiril nin."

"Arato?" She looked from him to the window, and then grabbed his head and turned it. "You're a Man."

"Yes, I'm a Man."

She shook her head, confused. "But...But...you look just like Mor..." her voice trailed off. How can this be? Morgai didn't tell me…

"Mor...?" Arato repeated, glancing from her face to the window again.

She drew back from him and said softly, "What are you doing here?" Neth was not sure who this Arato was, and so didn't know if she could trust him. Arato might want to ask about the one who went out the window again.
--
In the thorny bushes beneath Neth's window, Morgai was silently cursing his luck as he ignored the blood dripping down his torso from his ungraceful tumble. He could hear her talking to someone up in her room, and he thought he recognized the voice. He couldn't linger, so he put his cloak on and darted across the open ground. He'd have to ask Neth later.
--
"I... er, forgive me for intruding, hiril nin. I actually had a question to ask you. But first, you were saying 'Mor...' Why?"

Neth closed her eyes and bit the inside of her lip. There was no way of getting out of this. She was going to have to say her beloved husband's name, and see if this Man knew anything about him.

"Morgai." She said softly. "He is one of the Captains in the camp. He came here, following when the elves fought him and his men off to try to take me back. He...he wants me."

She looked at Arato and said, "He was the one you saw go out the window."

The color drained from Arato's face at the mention of his brother's name. Hearing it from someone else's lips brought up memories he would rather keep buried, but there they were anyways, stabbing at him. He started to shake.

"Did you j-just say M-m-Morgai?" he asked.

Then Arato did something he had never done before in his life. He fainted clean away on the floor.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 22, 2006 06:33
(hope this is ok… let me know if anything needs editing)

"I know yer voice," Rolan stated blandly, still appearing to be looking out into space with his ruined eyes. "But I'm not sure where I know it from..." he trailed off, fiddling with a corner of his too-big tunic in one hand

Narmion wasn’t quite sure what to make of that. He swallowed the lump in his throat, watching Rolan. Although he couldn’t see, the boy was looking in his general direction, and fidgeting with his tunic. He couldn’t deny that it hurt that his young friend didn’t remember him… but then, perhaps it was ‘best’ that he didn’t. If he didn’t remember what he’d been through, then all the better for him. The elf only wished that he himself could forget.

He felt Amata’s hand tighten around his and something stirred in his heart, calming the distress aching there.

"I'm glad to see you're walking around," Arato said to the elf. "How are you feeling? You look better, but looks can be decieving."

“Just tired,” Narmion said, “Sore.”
His good mood was dampened considerably, with the dark memories entering his mind and now the fact that Rolan couldn’t- and didn’t need to- remember him. He no longer felt like conversing at all… he felt like retreating back to the sickroom and hiding from the world there, with only Amata at his side. The sunlight now seemed to hurt his eyes and make him weak. Suddenly Glyndr and Lalaith were there.

“ Please excuse the interruption”, Glyndr said calmly, “I must speak quickly with Arato”.

“Arato, Telryn and I are on our way to my office, I have asked for a full report on what has happened during the rescue attempt. I think it may be beneficial if you join us, I leave the decision to you”.

The elf Captain turned his gaze to Rolan, he had heard the conversation, and it unnerved him slightly, remembering vividly the scene that had met him and Arato in the tent at the camp.
“Rolan”, he said quietly, “Do not try to remember too quickly, and do not be afraid when some things seem so distant, others so unfamiliar…just give yourself all the time you need, you have friends here who will be here for you when you need them”.

Feeling still a little uneasy, Glyndr stepped back a few paces before turning to leave, “If I am needed, I shall be found in my office for the next half hour”, he said as he once again took Lalaith’s hand in his, “Telryn and I have much to discuss”.

Lalaith had been satisfied with Glyndr’s treatment of Telyrn- though the younger elf had seemed surprised, to say the least. And now she watched the people before her with sad eyes. At least Rolan and Narmion were both up and about… but, she wondered when, or if, they would be healed completely from what they’d experienced. It was not only their physical health she was concerned with… well she understood how one’s spirit could wither. She had believed them both strong of will, but now she was troubled. But, Rolan had Arato, and Narmion and Amata. Neither of them should be alone, she thought… and took her husband’s hand to walk with him to his study. As they left the group she squeezed his hand and looked earnestly at him.

“My heart aches for them, Glyndr,” she said, but that was all. She was thinking of what was to come… she didn’t want her love to go to battle. She didn’t want her friends to go to battle… but, it seemed fated, something they couldn’t escape. Even with the sun shining in the valley, an ominous cloud of gloom hung over Imladris, and troubled the mother-to-be.

- -

Narmion watched Glyndr and Lalaith walk away, then turned uncertainly back to Arato. He wasn’t quite sure what to say.

“As Glyndr said,” he said tentatively, “Don’t push yourself too quickly, Rolan. Things will come as they must.”

He squeezed Amata’s hand again, wanting very badly to just ‘get away’… even as he gazed on the lad he seemed to hear his pain-filled voice as an echo from the past. Almost he could smell burning flesh. His heart pounded in alarm and he felt sick… quicklt, he cleared his throat.

“Arato, take care with that leg… I’ll, erm, I’ll speak to you two later…”

Turning a little too quickly (and nearly losing his balance) he tugged on Amata’s hand, needing to find something else to occupy his thoughts. Wordlessly he headed for the gardens, though it was a fair distance for his wounded leg, and once there he sat on a bench (the same one, if he’d noticed, that he’d slept away many hours on due to a mischievous prank months before) and let out a sigh. His body was aching from the movement and he felt winded… but he drank in a deep breath of the garden air, smelling the blossoms blooming there.

When Amata sat beside him he smiled wanly at her, happy to have her near… and then almost before he knew what he was doing he’d buried his face in her shoulder, sighing deeply once again and seeking comfort in her presence. He breathed in the scent of her, longing to feel her arms around him. Not since his rescue had he sought comfort from another person, having chosen to keep to himself… but now… now he needed it, and he knew that there was no one else he would rather have to ease his sorrows than the beautiful half-elf beside him.

Delvan hadn’t known exactly what Morgai’s plans were… but, he’d been making plans of his own, drawing up strategies for an attack on Imladris- *if* Ondet ever decided to actually go through with the attack. Sometimes he really wondered, and now with his most despised ‘comrade’ going off into the woods with his elf-wench and a company of men? But, the captain had spent hours on his designs and had finally gone to present them to the elf, who had looked at them without comment. Indeed, he hadn’t spoken at all, his emotionless face never changing expression as he looked from one page to another. Delvan had stood by nervously, wishing for a flask. If Ondet didn’t like the plans there was a very good chance he’d give the man who’d created them a good beating- his face still ached from the last time.

Finally, however, Ondet nodded, and set the papers aside on his own ‘desk’.
“They are not bad,” he said, turning his cold eyes on Delvan, “With the information we retrieved from the elf and child, before you let them be stolen out from under your very nose, you have outdone your drunkard-self. There is a commander of war under your filthy façade.”

The man only nodded in compliance. He didn’t take to being insulted, but with Ondet, one simply endured it; especially when the slightest compliment was thrown out as well.

“Morgai should return soon,” Ondet went on, reaching for a bottle of wine, “Do me a favor, and watch for him. Make sure he reports to me. I don’t like either of you, you know… he keeps secrets behind his eyes, and you smell almost as bad as the orcs you command. But I need you both.”

“Yes, my lord,” Delvan said, his voice barely a growl. He bit his lip when the elf’s eyes cut sharply to him, their coldness sparking into an icy fire.

“Get out of my sight, before I decide I only need one Captain!”

With a hurried bow Delvan was quickly out of the tent, grumbling as he moved off toward his own. The flask was calling his name, but now he waited… waited for Morgai.

[Edited on 28/9/2006 by dreamdancer]
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 27, 2006 03:49
((Okay, 'tis been a while since I've posted, so I shall post now.))

"Arato?" she said softly. "Arato?" she said a little louder. She knelt at his side and shook him. "Arato!" Neth raised her hand and slapped him. She didn't know who this Man was, but it was obvious that her impressions were correct. He definitely knew her new husband, and seemed afraid of him.

"Someone? Anyone?" Neth went to the door and called to the guards. "Can someone find some help for Arato? He is ...um...unconscious on my floor."

"Arato?" one of the guards asked, surprised. He was gone in a moment, seeking the two boys he knew were Arato's younger brothers.
--
"Rauko!" the guard called, using Aiden's nickname. Aiden stiffened upon hearing it, and both he and Eadoin turned around.

"What?" Aiden asked, annoyed.

"It's Arato. He's unconscious in Lady Nethraueth's room," the guard replied. He barely finished his sentence before the two humans went racing into the Last Homely House and through the halls.

Reaching the door, Eadoin was the first through it and kneeling at Arato's side. "Arato!" he called.

"What happened?" Aiden asked Neth as he knelt on his brother's other side. Eadoin, who was checking for a pulse, sighed in relief.

"I think he just fainted," he said. Aiden let out the breath he had been holding. "I'm sure he's fine," Eadoin continued, reaching down and taking Arato under the armpits. Aiden took his legs.

"We're just going to get him out of the way," Aiden said as they carefully began to manuver Arato from the room. "I'm sure you would like some rest." He smiled kindly over his shoulder at the elleth and nodded a farewell to her.

Carrying their brother through the halls as carefully as they could (his six foot, well built frame was not making the going any easier), Aiden and Eadoin tried to figure out what could have made their brother faint.

"Perhaps she knocked him out?" Aiden suggested at length. Eadoin snorted.

"I doubt it. She doesn't look like she could hurt Arato in that state," Eadoin replied.

"Well, I've never known him to faint before."

"That doesn't mean he can't." Eadoin opened the door to Arato's rooms and led the way to their elder brother's bed. Setting him down on it, the two brothers stripped off his boots and covered him up with a light blanket. "We'll ask him what happened when he comes around, alright?"

"Yeah, that's fine," Aiden replied, taking a seat in the chair by the unused fireplace. Eadoin settled on the windowsill, staring out into the night and still trying to figure out exactly what had happened there.

----------

The connotations of what he had just done with Neth didn't sink into Morgai's mind until he was atop the roan and riding away from Imladris to exersize the horse, who had been standing in the same spot for several hours. When they finally did, a silly grin made it's presence known on his face.

He, Morgai, formerly a foot soldier of the Gondorian Army, had wedded an elf! He felt honored that she had fallen in love with him, a *man*, for Valar's sake. Letting his head loll to one side, Morgai closed his eyes for a moment and let out a happy sigh. It seemed that the Valar were favoring him now.

It felt good to be himself, for once in his life. He felt content, as if his purpose in life had been fufilled finally. Although, once he thought about it, he supposed it had. If it wouldn't drive Neth crazy with grief, he could have died at that moment and been happy.

Suddenly, something thick and unwielding connected solidly with his stomach. With a grunt, his eyes flew open just as his backside left the saddle and met the ground with a thud. The horse kept walking, seeming to ignore the fact that its rider had disappeared. Cursing, Morgai painfully picked him up, forgetting about the branch that had knocked him from his horse and knocking his head against it. He cursed again, louder this time.

He'd have to remember to watch where he was bloodly gong from now on, he thought to himself, running after the horse, which had picked up some spead. As pleasant as the thought of Neth was, it was probably not the thing to be thinking about when riding through a bloody forest with lots of bloodly, low hanging branches. He cursed again as he stumbled after his horse.

((Will edit if anyone has any problems with it.))

[Edited on 28/9/06 by Nimeneth]
Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 27, 2006 06:58
Neth was sitting there, still stunned over the human's reaction to Morgai's name. What could possibly have caused such a thing?

Slowly it began to dawn on the elleth that if he had reacted in such utter fear to the name of her husband, he must be working against his brother.

Her chin went up, and her eyes narrowed. That made Arato an enemy.

The elleth jumped to her feet and began to pace. She didn't like the fact that an enemy had been able to take her so completely unawares, simply because he looked like her beloved Morgai. That would not happen again. From now on, she would be on her guard against such a lapse in judgement.

She closed her eyes and groaned. Arato had believed her story about Morgai trying to kidnap her. It would look suspicious if she was supposed to be so afraid, but yet was willing to be alone in her room. She couldn't have that, not at all.

She went back to the door and said to the guard tearfully, "Could you send word to Bellas that I want to see him? I just had a terrible experience, and with Arato becoming unconscious, well, I...I would feel much better if I had Bellas here with me." Tears rolled down her cheeks in perfect accompaniment to the bold lie she told. She only hoped that Bellas would come to her.

He had to. She needed to set the stage for the next part of her charade.
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2006 03:40
“They have my sympathy too”, Glyndr replied as Lalaith squeezed his hand, “But war is war, and we cannot dwell on the past or remain too long in sorrows, we must think of the future”.
The Captain looked at his beautiful wife, the harshness and callousness in his voice softened as he looked into the eyes of the one, now soon to be three, who were his whole life.
“Come Lalaith, let us get this over with, and then you and I shall have time alone, before duty calls again”.

“Right Section Leader”, Glyndr closed the door behind him with a dull thud, “tell me everything that happened, what you saw of their forces, and their camp”.

The elf Captain pulled out a chair for Lalaith and helped her to sit, making sure she was comfortable, “Lalaith, if this bores you, please feel free to leave”, he said , hoping secretly that she would stay, any time spent with his Lalaith was precious.

Glyndr perched himself on the edge of his desk and indicated to Telryn to sit down.
“If Arato does not arrive in time, I shall inform him of what he needs to know”, the Captain said brusquely, “I have not the time or inclination to wait for that human”.

Folding his arms across his chest, Glyndr , fixed his all too familiar icicle stare on the young soldier, “Well soldier?” the voice just as icy.
“Er..um…well Captain, where do ..er ..I” Telryn faltered, cursing himself again for his hesitation.

“Section Leader”, Glyndr’s voice distinctively ominous, “I have told you to act like an adult and not an elfling! Valar soldier you are no better than a…”
The Captain remembered Lalaith’s presence and only just stopped himself from referring to Telryn in a very rude manner.

“Yes Captain”, Telryn recovered his composure, and sat straight as he told his Captain –god every detail in his efficient manner.

Glyndr sat in silence for some time after Telryn had finished speaking, his military mind working quickly with the information, adding it to the information he already had from Narmion.
Now, he had only Neth to speak with before he put his plans into action.

“You are dismissed soldier”, Glyndr finally spoke, his voice sounding preoccupied, “Find Arato on your way back to the barracks, and tell him what he needs to know, and to expect me to send for him as soon as I have formulated our next actions”.
“Captain”, Telryn bowed as he stood, “My Lady” he bowed again to Lalaith before leaving, closing the door with a soft click, very unlike his Captain.

With a sigh, Glyndr pushed his dark hair behind his bejewelled, pointed ears, “Lalaith”, he said as he watched Telryn walk across the courtyard to find Arato, “Lalaith my love, let us go home”.

A while later

“Lalaith”, Glyndr nuzzled contentedly at his wife’s ear as they sat curled together on the sofa in the warm privacy of their chambers, the snatched time together was rapidly drawing to an end.
“Lalaith, I must go to visit Neth, the information she will have is of vital importance”
The Captain moved closer, her face held gently in his hands, he kissed her softly, yet with a hidden passion, “I shall return as soon as I can, duty once again has claimed my life”.

Glyndr kissed his Lalaith again as he untangled himself from her, and reluctantly walked to the door that was their shield from the outside world.
He smiled back at her once, a sad smile, before leaving to return to that world of war and evil.

The Captain’s mood changed sharply to one of serious thoughts on military matters and the protection of Imladris , the mood becoming darker as he thought of that traitor , that so called elf . Glyndr’s thoughts set on the destruction of that betrayer, and all his minions.

Moving swiftly and secretly Glyndr made his way to the place he knew he would find Neth.
Keeping hidden, he did not want to be stopped by an officious healer, he found her door.
Luckily the guard was noticeable by his absence.

The elf Captain knocked once before entering unbidden, he was never one to keep to rules , when needs must.

“Neth” , Glyndr stopped just behind the closed door, his back against the wood, Neth, I am relieved to have you back here in Imladris safely”, he paused , “I must speak with you as one warrior to another”, he said firmly, before moving slowly towards her.

“Valar elleth! Glyndr cursed very un elf like as he saw the extent of her injuries, “Neth, those who did this to you will pay the price, elleth , I will make certain of that” he said , his voice as dark as his mood.
He moved closer, and placed his hand against her face, wincing himself as he cupped her chin gently in his hand, the dark bruises vivid against her pale skin.

“ I must know Neth, tell me ,as a she – warrior under my command, tell me of the enemy”, Glyndr’s winter pale eyes darkened as he looked intently into her own, his hand still held her chin, his grip a little tighter now.
“Tell me of their defences, of the extent of their forces”, the Captain lifted his chin, his eyes never leaving hers.
“Tell me of this devil that has betrayed his kin” he said, his voice held all the hatred he felt, that hatred reflected in his eyes, “I have heard of him from Narmion”.

“ Neth,as yet, I have not met with Arianna and the twins to discuss the defence of Imladris against the coming threat, so , as Captain of the Imladris forces, I have taken it on myself to make plans to ensure we are protected. Time is running out, and we must work fast”.

Glyndr stepped back, releasing his grip on her chin, his blue gaze still unwavering, “The ruined defences will be rebuilt, weapons forged, we will work day and night to build a power that will defend Imladris from that evil that threatens us, believe me it can be done”.

Running his hands through his hair, the elf finally looked away, his gaze now at the window, “ I will train every ellon , elleth, and elfling that is fit enough to hold a weapon, humans too, We will be ready”.

Returning the gaze to Neth, Glyndr took another step forward, “ Neth, tell me everything, for the survival of Imladris , I must know”.

OOC….DD , Iell , I know Iell wanted Glyndy to go to speak with Neth ASAP , and also that Bellas needs to see her, I posted for Glyndy…if you wanted Bellas to see her first , just let me know, and I’ll delete, and keep the post on Word till you need it !

Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2006 10:59
((Oh dear, Glyndr doesn't seem to be in a very good mood right now.))

Arato's eyes snapped open and he sat up with a sharp cry. Aiden and Eadoin were out of their seats in a moment, sitting down on either side of Arato and staring at their older brother in concern. Arato, meanwhile, was trying to catch his breath. The memories brought up by the mention of Morgai's name were... he shivered, refusing to finish that train of thought.

"Arato?" Eadoin's hesitant voice brought him out of his thoughts and back to the present. He looked at his brothers, who were staring at him. "Are you alright?"

"Yes, I'm fine," Arato replied, throwing the blanket off of him and gently brushing Eadoin out of the way to get at his boots. He pulled them on and stood up.

"Why did you faint?" Aiden asked.

"Lady Nethraueth brought up some bad memories in mentioning my brother's name," Arato growled, getting to his feet. "I need to talk to her again." He started for the door. "Don't worry, that will not happen again."

"You have a brother?" Eadoin began, but Arato had left the room and was hurrying down the halls before he had even finished his question. Looking at each other, the two Rohirric brothers hurried after the older man.

--

Arato, in his single-minded desire to speak to Neth again about his brother, why Morgai had been in Imladris, had failed to knock on the elleth's door before entering. He stopped once inside, looking at Captain Glyndr and the elleth beyond him. He blinked owlishly for a moment.

"Captain," he said in thinly hidden surprise. "I thought that Telryn was giving his report." He blinked again. Surely he hadn't been out for *that* long - had he? Suddenly, he realized that he hadn't been present for that report. He hoped Glyndr wasn't upset with him for shirking his duties...

"Er, forgive me for intruding without knocking, but I have a question to ask of Lady Nethraueth," he continued after a moment's pause. "It will only take a moment, Captain."

"I hope he knows what he's doing," Eadoin whispered from the doorway as he and his brother watched the proceedings inside the room.

"The Captain hasn't been in the best mood lately, so I hope so as well," Aiden replied from the other side of the door.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 30, 2006 03:42
“They have my sympathy too”, Glyndr replied as Lalaith squeezed his hand, “But war is war, and we cannot dwell on the past or remain too long in sorrows, we must think of the future”.
The Captain looked at his beautiful wife, the harshness and callousness in his voice softened as he looked into the eyes of the one, now soon to be three, who were his whole life.
“Come Lalaith, let us get this over with, and then you and I shall have time alone, before duty calls again”.

She smiled softly at him but didn’t answer. Truly, she mused, he was an ellon of duty, a Captain in every sense of the word. He was really so very caring, she knew, and he hated what had happened to Narmion and Rolan- and she knew he hated when his soldiers were cut down in battle, felt for the families of those killed. At times she suspected he felt overwhelmed, and could sense the cold fingers of despair threatening to clutch his heart… but, he also knew that as the leader he had to be strong, and he had to appear that way to those under him. Despite what everyone else might have believed he was not emotionless…

“Right Section Leader”, Glyndr closed the door behind him with a dull thud, “tell me everything that happened, what you saw of their forces, and their camp”.

The elf Captain pulled out a chair for Lalaith and helped her to sit, making sure she was comfortable, “Lalaith, if this bores you, please feel free to leave”, he said , hoping secretly that she would stay, any time spent with his Lalaith was precious.

She grinned at him, laughing inwardly at how he fussed over her. She was perfectly capable of getting herself seated… and, she had no intention of leaving, however boring the meeting was. Too well she knew that in the coming days she might find herself without Glyndr more and more often, and even to sit quietly with him while he did his duty was important. Her lip twitched into a slight grin at the way he sat himself on the desk.

“If Arato does not arrive in time, I shall inform him of what he needs to know”, the Captain said brusquely, “I have not the time or inclination to wait for that human”.

Folding his arms across his chest, Glyndr , fixed his all too familiar icicle stare on the young soldier, “Well soldier?” the voice just as icy.
“Er..um…well Captain, where do ..er ..I” Telryn faltered, cursing himself again for his hesitation.

“Section Leader”, Glyndr’s voice distinctively ominous, “I have told you to act like an adult and not an elfling! Valar soldier you are no better than a…”
The Captain remembered Lalaith’s presence and only just stopped himself from referring to Telryn in a very rude manner.

“Yes Captain”, Telryn recovered his composure, and sat straight as he told his Captain –god every detail in his efficient manner.

Glyndr sat in silence for some time after Telryn had finished speaking, his military mind working quickly with the information, adding it to the information he already had from Narmion.
Now, he had only Neth to speak with before he put his plans into action.

“You are dismissed soldier”, Glyndr finally spoke, his voice sounding preoccupied, “Find Arato on your way back to the barracks, and tell him what he needs to know, and to expect me to send for him as soon as I have formulated our next actions”.
“Captain”, Telryn bowed as he stood, “My Lady” he bowed again to Lalaith before leaving, closing the door with a soft click, very unlike his Captain.

With a sigh, Glyndr pushed his dark hair behind his bejewelled, pointed ears, “Lalaith”, he said as he watched Telryn walk across the courtyard to find Arato, “Lalaith my love, let us go home”.

*later*

“Lalaith”, Glyndr nuzzled contentedly at his wife’s ear as they sat curled together on the sofa in the warm privacy of their chambers, the snatched time together was rapidly drawing to an end.
“Lalaith, I must go to visit Neth, the information she will have is of vital importance”
The Captain moved closer, her face held gently in his hands, he kissed her softly, yet with a hidden passion, “I shall return as soon as I can, duty once again has claimed my life”.

“I know it, love,” she answered, a sad smile touching her lips, “I will be waiting for you when you return.”

Glyndr kissed his Lalaith again as he untangled himself from her, and reluctantly walked to the door that was their shield from the outside world.
He smiled back at her once, a sad smile, before leaving to return to that world of war and evil.

Lalaith watched the door shut and then leaned back in the couch, closing her eyes. Things were mounting up… she could feel a tension in the air. She feared that something would happen soon, something that would have a great impact on their fortunes.. and she feared that it would not be in their favor.

Bellas had been sitting in the smithy for some time, thinking silently of Neth. Neth, the elleth of his heart. He was sure now of himself… he loved her, and there was simply no denying it. He hadn’t let himself realize it until he’d nearly lost her forever- but, having her run away and be captured, coming so close to never seeing her again, had made him look into his heart. But, did she feel the same? Oh, he hoped she did! He’d already read her note over and over, finding himself imagining her slender hands writing it, and then envisioning her beautiful face. Almost, though, he was afraid to go to her… he was anxious, and almost giddy. It was strange.

So, much later, when an elleth brought another message, his heart thumped loudly in his chest. She wanted to see him! But, then he was told of what had happened… and, he was instantly concerned. Quickly he hurried to her chamber, only to find the two rohirric lads, Aiden and Eadoin, peeking into her room… and, looking beyond them, he saw both Glyndr and Arato inside. Biting his lip, he sidled up to the door and looked in over Eadoin’s shoulder quite nervously.

“Are you alright, Neth?” he asked, not bothering to even acknowledge Glyndr or Arato.

(hope this works… if not, poke me and I’ll edit )

Iell-daughter-of-elves
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2006 07:42
Neth had held Captain Glyndr's gaze for a while, but when he began asking questions and insulting those her husband and she were aligned with, she had to look away as if thinking about them was painful for her. In truth, she was afraid he would read something in her eyes.

When Glyndr reached up and touched her face, she wanted to rip his hand from his arm, and feed it to him, but she couldn't. She had to be patient and find out everything she could.

By the time that Arato returned, Neth had spilled the entire made up story to Glyndr, and had filed away for reference in her mind, the defense information that Glyndr was forthcoming with. Ondet and Morgai would be pleased with her, she knew it.

When she saw Arato, she began to let tears fill her eyes and she whimpered, and leaned over toward Glyndr. "He looks just like one of the men that held me hostage. He wanted to take me for his own, and was planning on doing so as soon as their new camp was set up." She turned her face away from both of them and she fought back the urge to laugh at their gullibility.

Just then, she heard Bellas's voice, and Neth's eyes opened wide. "Bellas!" The elleth ran to him and buried her face in his neck, sobbing horribly. "One of them tried to come in here and take me away, Bellas. I am not safe without someone to protect me." She sobbed harder and whispered hoarsely, "Will you protect me, Bellas? Do you care enough about me to do that?"

All the while, inside her head, thoughts and plans were whirling...
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2006 05:57

Rolan smiled a little. He could recognize Glyndr's voice easily. The Captain's formidable nature was seemingly absent however, right now. The boy could feel the concern generated by the Elf. "I'll be fine," he assured the Elf.

Rolan felt the 'presence' of Glyndr and Laliath absent themselves from the balcony. He sighed a little bit and leaned on the railing.

Narmion watched Glyndr and Lalaith walk away, then turned uncertainly back to Arato. He wasn’t quite sure what to say.

“As Glyndr said,” he said tentatively, “Don’t push yourself too quickly, Rolan. Things will come as they must.”

The lad didn't say anything. He nodded his head mutely, playing absently with a lock of hair fallen into his face. Then two more presences absented themselves from the balcony. One was Amata. The other was the one who he couldn't remember. The one who held unpleasant memories just out of reach. In frustration, Rolan slammed a fist down onto the railing. He wanted to know what his mind was holding out of reach of him! What had happened that everyone refused to talk about? Why was everyone tinged with a bittersweet feeling whenever they were around him?

Where's Diablo? Suddenly he just wanted to be alone with the huge black stallion. He stumbled towards the door, catching himself on the frame with one hand. Which way was it? Left or right, straight?

Faeringil staggered and fell under the force of the blow, his senses erupting in a flash of pain. Although wearing chain mail, it didn’t quite cover all of that area of his body and as he dropped his own sword, he raised a hand. Blood spilled over it, and he watched in vague interest, as if not quite understanding. It wasn’t exactly a major flow, only a small cut, really. The blood was insignificant – it was the pain which bit into him like nothing he’d ever felt before. He raised his brown eyes to Arianna, and smiled faintly. “No, I don’t think I am.” He pressed his hands against the floor in an attempt to get to his feet, but gasped out in agony.

Amata would love to see me, now, he thought bitterly. She would laugh to see this… me, trying to spar. He sat on the ground, breathing in short sharp gasps, his face half screwed up. He felt like screaming until the sky fell on his head, but he wouldn’t. Glancing up at Arianna, he saw the worry on his face. “Not your fault.” He frowned deeply, and gingerly touched the place at the seat of his neck. “I… I think I must have broken…” he pressed his fingers against the area, and drew his breath through his teeth in a hiss as a result of the pain. “I must have broken my collarbone.”

"Broken it?" Eadoin asked. He frowned. It would probably be best to let the healers see to this. They probably could do a better job of setting it without causing Faeringil more pain. He stood up. "Here," he said, offering the ellon a hand. "Let's go to the healing halls so you can have this taken care of."

Ari had dropped her sword to the ground. She collected it now, berating herself for being so wrapped up in the fight to not notice that she was quick enough to hurt Fae. That shouldn't have happened! Now one more Elf who could be called upon at any time to defend Imladris was out of action because of her recklessness. Dejected, Ari collected the discarded weaponry left behind by Eadoin when he and Aiden rushed over to help Faeringil. She carried it over to the armoury, and set it down on the floor.

With a sigh, the Elf exited the dark building and stepped back out into the punishing sunlight. She shielded her eyes, watching as Aiden, Eadoin and Faeringil disappeared into the Last Homely House together. Ari cast a glance over at the practice ring Glyndr and Sylstar had been using before. It was empty.

OOc// Sorry it's been so long since I last posted. I promise I'll try to be better.
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 03, 2007 05:15
((... and two months later...))

When Amata sat beside him he smiled wanly at her, happy to have her near… and then almost before he knew what he was doing he’d buried his face in her shoulder, sighing deeply once again and seeking comfort in her presence. He breathed in the scent of her, longing to feel her arms around him. Not since his rescue had he sought comfort from another person, having chosen to keep to himself… but now… now he needed it, and he knew that there was no one else he would rather have to ease his sorrows than the beautiful half-elf beside him.

She was taken aback by Narmion’s action, but did not move away. It was obvious that he needed her there, that he needed some sort of reassurance, to escape from his torturous memories of his imprisonment. She put an arm round his shoulder, knowing that he would not mind. She sighed, wanting to know how she could help Narmion. She turned her eyes down to look at him – only seeing the top of his head as he rested against her shoulder. She wished she could take revenge on the evil creatures who had hurt the gentle-minded elf. Her hand touched the wood of the bench she was sitting on and a small smile crossed her lips as she recalled the episode of a year ago, when she had discovered the same Narmion lying there, deeply asleep. It was then that she had been touched by his appearance… A spot of heat rose to her cheeks. She had run away. And then only a few days or so later she had had to flee even further away – all the way back to Rohan.
No more running, Amata, she told herself. If you had stayed in Imladris then maybe Narmion and Rolan would not have been captured. You would have fought alongside them.
She sighed again, thinking of the change which had come over Narmion. He had looked so serene and peaceful when asleep on the bench, but now the enemy had tormented him and overcast him with worries he should not have to bear.
Several minutes later she spoke. “I’m sorry I didn’t come back sooner than this. I’ve been thinking, and I wish I’d never left at all. I could have made a difference.” She paused. “At any rate, I’ll start making a difference from now on.” She turned her gaze to the ground. “I’m going to find Glyndr and offer my services to him as a fighter.”

Faeringil sat on the couch, his arm incapacitated by a sling, and his shoulder bandaged. .He cursed inwardly, berating his luck. He couldn’t even read his precious scrolls like this. See – that was what weaponry did to you. He should never have trained. He scowled as an elleth helped asked if he was alright. Of course I’m not alright, he felt like yelling at her, but in fact replied, “I’m fine.” He would not be a whiner, even if he was a pathetic swordsman. To be wounded by Adrianna, of all people. True, she wasn’t a complete novice, but still…
“How long will I have to be like this?” He inquired of the elleth.
“At least two weeks,” she informed him. “More likely three, or even four.”
He nodded, but when she turned away he cursed again under his breath.

((Long Live Ever After!))

[Edited on 3/1/2007 by anduril269]
elflyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2007 08:30
“Telryn has long ago given his report, soldier”, Glyndr’s icy voice matched the accusing glare he shot at Arato, cutting right through his second in command like cold steel.
“Which you would have known, had you been present”, he added with pointed venom.
“Obviously in your eagerness to question Nethraueth, you seem to have forgotten your manners as well as the courtesy to attend reports when you are ordered”.

The Captain took a step back and looked from Arato back to Neth briefly, before returning his glare to Arato again, “be quick then”, he snapped, “Then go, we have much to prepare, you, as second in command will have much more to do than others”.

Glyndr leant back against the wall; he frowned as he watched Neth and Arato closely, noticing how the sight of his second had seemingly upset Neth.
The Nethrauth who fought as a she-warrior under his command was not one to be easily brought to tears as he remembered.
The elf Captain felt instinctively that something was not right.

“He what?” Glyndr’s thoughts were interrupted when Neth told him of Arato’s likeness to one of those at the enemy camp.
“So, he resembles one of the enemy does he?” Glyndr moved closer to Arato, then stopped suddenly as Neth suddenly threw herself at the door and into Bellas’ arms.
“Arato…you and I need to talk”, he said, a serious tone in his voice, “Find me when you have the time”, he added as he turned to face the door.

“Bellas”, Glyndr said as he swept across the room towards the door, “ Do as she asks…” the Captain paused beside them in the doorway, his ice blue eyes again fixed on Neth as once again his brave she-warrior succumbed to uncharacteristic tears, “Protect her, the one who dared to try to take her back may be stupid enough to try again, I shall set extra guards on watch around the walls…Let the wretch try again”.

Glyndr lifted his chin in his arrogant manner, his eyes never leaving Neth, “ I would like nothing more than to take one of them prisoner”, he smiled an almost evil half smile, “ He and I would have so much to discuss, I am sure I could ‘persuade’ him to tell me all about the camp, their leader and their plans”.

Turning sharply, Glyndr strode past them and out of the door, “ OUT of my way brats!” he snarled as he pushed past Aiden and Eadoin, “go and find something useful to do, and stop listening at doors!”

He moved swiftly across the courtyard then stopped suddenly turning to look over his shoulder at the window of Neth’s room.
The Captain stared at the window for a moment, then turned away to walk back to his office.
He would work there for a short time, before returning to what he wanted most, to be with his Lalaith for as long as duty and war allowed.

YAY! E/A lives!:love:

<< First56789
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email