Register

<< First1011121314Last >>
Author Topic:
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
Post RE: Fans Over Forty ~ Part VII
on: July 28, 2006 06:30
Scots that was so funny. My favorite part of that poem was the birds having to use potholders to grab the worms. That's a riot. Keep cool. How is the kitchen coming?

Thank you all for the condolences. She was the Aunt who use to serve me ice cream in crystal goblets. I felt like such a lady. She sent me a beautiful silk and velvet pink hankie for my 7th birthday. I kept it for years until it just fell apart. She had 2 children and had lost her baby to pneumonia when he was 8 months old. She was a great mom and aunt I will miss her.

Hi Magoleth, it is so good to hear from you. Souls over 60 why not. Thank you for filling us in on your life. I imagine it is wonderful to see Rose when ever you want and share Tolkien things.

Well, Mith I am painting today. I did some yesterday but I will finish today. Happy Friday to you.

Morwin. I have a cell phone but I do not know how to text a message or use the other features. Your dad is lucky that you taught him.

MTMS, The move is over and my niece's boyfriend was at work. She had movers so it was not to hard. She is back living at my sister's and we feel good about it. Your PB sandwich sounds good I think I will have to try it. I like marshmallow cream on graham crackers. Have a good day.

Belle, I have been watching the weather channel and I know you have had very hot temperatures. To live a hundred years ago before global warming started. It would have been nice. Keep cool.

Neenime, your sandwich sounds yummy too. Not the polish pickle one I don't think I would like that one. I like to eat ice cream with potato chips. People look at me and say yuck but I think it is the salt and the sweet that makes it good. :wave:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 28, 2006 06:34
Great googalee-moogalee! What A glob of posters--all at once and even some we haven't heard from in A dunedain coon's age.
I'm busy barbequing another brisket for my son's birthday party tomorrow, so I'll be brief.

Sorry about your loss, Awelyn. I have noticed that the older we get, the more losses we seem to have. Witnessing the cycle of life can be A sad experience if one does not believe in the here-after.
Peanut butter, banana and honey---that's how I make them. Sometimes, for A special treat, I like to grill them as well. A simple but very satisfying taste sensation. Try one with your tea, Rose.

I don't do the open-faced thing with gooey stuff, MT(leastways, not with food). I've got A moustache, ya know.

Help with your hydraulics---I'd be glad to, ladies. Pistons and rods pumping liquids around and squishing through spherical orifices, making things rise and fall is A subject I like very much.

Have A great weekend, y'all! Swabby
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 28, 2006 08:22
Hi everyone

still very hot and sticky here in Edinburgh but we just had rain! It was wonderful.

Awelyn sorry about your aunt.

Vicarcat I am a double D lady myself but am a bit more generously proportioned all round _ I could never be mistaken for an elf.. On the subject of large bosoms I like Joan Rivers' joke..."I got my nipple pierced but I had to take it out - every time I had a shower the ring caught in my big toe!"

It's like when I was at aerobics one week and we were lying down for one exercise, the teacher said "now for this move your breasts should be touching your knees" and before I could stop myself I had blurted out "Mine do that when I'm standing up!" well at least I made all the other girls laugh I don't think I would have said it in a mixed class. I am sure Swabby won't mind my humour though and I think Old Tom is fairly broad minded as well.

Have a good weekend everyone

Love and hugs

HT:heart:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 28, 2006 08:54
Never fear, fair HT, your humour is great, and I like A woman who has A bit of meat on her bones! Swabby
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 28, 2006 10:23
HT I am sooo glad you understand my situation!
I get looks some times and I get asked if they are real too...
Right now my hips are bigger then my bust and I've lost a bit in
the ribcage so I've to take in my blouses again...

HT How do you get your clothes to fit so well?

And now for something totally different...
I just got copies of The Return of The Shadow,
The Treason of Isengard, The War of The Ring, and
The End of The Third Age,
so I will have more background in Middle Earth History.
I'll have to sell old books to get the rest of the series...

It was cooler this morning... when we went to the store it
was 63*F but this afternoon it was 85*F
and this evening it was 70*F so I've to make sure that my
jackets fit... Cold evenings in a few months and then I be
busy with my capstone...

I am wanting jackets akin to what Arwen wore when she
kept Frodo from the Nazgul in FoTR....
not sure how close I'll come but I'' do my best.
OK shoot me for mentioning Her name,
but how else could I describe the scene?

Gak! I've too much to do before the start of Fall term...
And Silverleaf has more to do then I do!
And Timberwolf...
well lets all just pray for him as his load is a heavy one, OK?

Now, other then switching from internal combustion engines
to electric ones how do we cut down on Global Warming?
I know, less concrete and more moss-covered paths in the parks
and gardens... More plantings along the streetside, and more
folks on bikes or on foot...

Aha post mental not to self....
More moss in Rivendell plan and not so much stone...
hmmm wooden rails and benches in the gazebos too...
I am slowly getting the picture...

Hope the weekend is good for everyone! :hug:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2006 11:11
Belle, do whatever it takes to stay cool and comfortable. Water guns can help.

Happy belated birthday magoleth! You've been a busy gal.

It's the personality behind the eyes that "do it" for me, neenime. Viggo's soulful eyes "absorb" me.:heart:

How sweet of you to teach your dad how to use the cell phone, morwin. I wish you patience and him understanding. (Wish I knew how to use all the features on mine!)

You are lucky to have a "handy" husband, mith. Mr. MT cuts the grass, changes the ac filter and hangs heavy pictures for me. Wish that I had the know-how and courage to lay my own floor in the kitchen. It desperately needs to be re-done.

Funny Joan Rivers joke, HT. Sometimes you've gotta laugh to keep from crying.

It's okay to mention the name of Arwen, vicarcat. We just don't want to hear alot of talk about her. I know she's there in the story, but if I don't focus on her presence, I can sort of pretend she's elving around the woods somewhere. And no, it wasn't me who drew a moustache on that Arwen poster!:evil:

MT
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2006 02:05
Morning MT!
It is the Elven clothes I want, well and maybe the slim figure too...
I'd be happy enough to wander off with Legolas and discuss the replanting
of the forests of Mordor if I could get there...
Imagine if you will, one overweight Half-Elf with 10,000 Fir trees for the high mountains, and 20,000 Birch trees for the elevations below 2,500 feet....
You think maybe Leggy would like that? I do hope so...

OK so I was dreaming again... sigh. I best get going... no rest for the weary.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2006 05:28
My brother came by yesterday and we watched "The Return of the King". We had several interuptions since it was my youngest son's birthday and he had some of his friends over, but I think my brother was pretty much "into" the story and is now A ME fan. He's never as outwardly emotional or compassionate about things as I am, but he borrowed my hard-bound copy of "The Fellowship" to take home and read, so that is A good sign.

Some have said that "death" is the dominate theme of Tolkien's masterpiece, and while there is A lot of that in the story, I feel that "love" plays A greater role. To me, there is no greater love than to place the welfare of others above one's own. What do you all think? Happy Sunday! Swabby
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2006 08:02
Hello everyone. I'm back from my travels. Scorching the temperatures were the whole time.

On our way out, drove through a harr in Indiana (warm ground and cold moist air created spooky fog) and thought of you all. Told DH it was a harr and he said where ever do you get these words from?

As most of you probably know, the power was out in St. Louis for over a week due to wicked storms. We arrived the day after for lunch just east of the city as another massive storm hit...it was certainly something conjured by Saruman. We took shelter in a Bob Evans as the rains slammed sideways into the building and although the lights were on when we arrived, they quickly died. So we lunched on soup and salad and waited out the storm. There was a branch laying on the car when the rains finally stopped (not of the same species as the tree next to it or any around that I could see) but there was no damage done. You know of my love of storms so I thought it added to the adventure of the trip. (DH looks at her likes she's crazy)

One interesting fact about Joplin, MO, is that the wind almost always is blowing so it was pleasant outside in the shade until about 1:00. Then even the blue-tailed lizard run for shade!!!

Swabby, we drove down to Little Rock and went to the President Clinton museum. The progress in many areas made then has come to such a grinding halt, it's enough to make you weep. (Middle East) Sindy dances over soap box trying to avoid tripping on corner.

Now the heat and humidity has followed me back to Ohio...it's beastly outside! The tabby cat sprawled in the shade this morning waiting for me to finish pulling up the weeds encroaching in my garden and then he led me back inside.

I have but three weeks left of summer vacation :cry: but I love fall and some of the suede-y/leather fall jackets have a definite ranger/elven look to them.

I came back to find our assistant principal has left for a new job so now we have a new principal and will have a new assistant. Seems to be shaping up as an interesting year.

We have no AC at school so I will wait for a break in the weather before I venture in. I did go off to Staples and beyween my Teacher Rewards certificate and my Discover reward check, "bought" some needed supplies.

This will be the beginning of my 22nd year in the classroom and I am starting to think about what I might do with my life when I get to 30. (Yes, that would be the slamming of the back door and the revving of my car engine on that day.)

Awelyn, so sorry about your aunt. Perhaps visiting her grave and honoring her in your own way (maybe take two crystal dishes and a pint of Toffee Almond Fudge with you) would be a fitting tribute.

The DH and I saw Lady in the Water. We also liked it; it wasn't fantastic but it was good which is the best I can say about all of the summer movies that were supposed to be great.

Thanks MT (I think) for the story compliment. I really need to do some serious work on some other chapters I have done and post them.

Hoping a cool breeze blows up everyone's skirt or kilt.

Sindy
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
awelyn418
Send Message
on: July 30, 2006 09:17
Sindy, that is a fantastic idea. I think I will do that for me. Thank you for the idea. My daughter lives in Washington Mo. 45 minutes from St. Louis and she had many stories about the storm. She was never without electric thank God. 3 weeks left huh I have one:cry: The summer has flown.

Swabby I agree that love is flowing through the book and I think hope and a faith in your friends. Did your son have a great birthday? I plan on watching the rest of the LOTR movies before school starts so I better hurry and get that done but I have faith in myself that I can.

MTMS, yes I think you are correct about his eyes. I saw a movie about ball room dancing and charm school last night with Sean Astin.
It was hard to understand but midway it started getting better. My daughter and I enjoyed it. I still want to give Sean a hug when I see him. He seems so huggable to me. MTMS,
what is that black on your hands?

Have a great Sunday, rest and relax for the coming week.
:wave:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2006 02:57
Seems as if Saruman has been brewing up storms to send your way, sindy instead of hurricanes in the Gulf. I appreciate your taking the brunt of his malovence. We need a respite from storms, at least for a bit.
I am in my 21st year in the classroom and KNOW I can't make it to 30! If I can hang in 4 more, it'll be by the grace of God. It's not teaching the children that's draining, it's all the other hoops that the state and feds make you jump through.
Retirement could be the begining of your writing career, sindy. You are one of my faves.

I agree with love as the overall theme of LOTR, swabby, along with hope and the knowledge of an unseen guiding force of good that affects this world and beyond. All that can be said in one word, though....love.:heart:

Sean Astin in charm school, awelyn ?? For some reason, that makes me smile. When I see Sean I think of Samwise and therefore expect the "uncultured" ways of Sam.

You must be mistaken ,my dear. I have no black marks on my hand. (I scrubbed very hard with Lava soap) I used a RED marker to make the devil horns anyway!!:evil:

She said yes!! Eldest son's girlfriend accepted his proposal and was surprised to have us (friends and family) waiting with food and drink to celebrate the occasion. Son is a class act-though I'm not sure where he picked that up. He had friends at the house decorating, cooking and mingling while he was on the beach popping the question. The ring was wrapped up in a napkin placed inside a ziploc bag. They were supposed to be canoeing, but lightening was threatening and he thought it best not to be in a boat. He told her that he had picked up some desert for her and handed her the bag. He said that she looked a little disappointed at first not to see chocolate.
He asked her father earlier in the week for his permission for them to marry. She said that she had called home just to say hello and her grandfather told her to give her "buddy" (my son) his love. She said that should've made her suspicious.
Had a great time with their friends. I found a fellow Tolkien lover. I've adopted her into the family. Great son, wonderful daughter-in-law to be...I am richly blessed.

Hope that each of you have a fantastic begining to your week.

MT
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2006 03:25
MTMS woo-hoo! Congrats on the upcoming wedding. That son of yours sounds like a real sweetie! Good thing the surprise didn't get blown.

Bra size discussion. OK, I think that's a first for this forum. swabby must think he's died and gone to heaven . I, too was generously endowed by the Goddess, but with extra padding all 'round it doen't seem all that big a deal. I was a 38C until I lost weight recently, More like a 36B or C, depending on the style. If I get the wrong one then "My cup runneth over", if ya takes my meanin' .

It's another reason to hate hot, muggy days and the way that flesh sticks to flesh! Blechhhh! Thank the gods for baby-powder!

I was out hiking with hubby and our mutual friend today. A three-hour foray along rough country, including a steep goat-path lined with broken shale. "And this we call fun..." I kept thinking about the Hobbits "off to see the Elves". Unfortunately, no Elves anywhere to be seen.

ANyway, it was muggy and I was soaked by the time we got to the top of the butte. Took off my tank top (yes, I was wearing somthing underneath!) because comfort out-weighed modesty by then. I just hope that no one at the camps nearby had their binoculars trained on us. The butte is on a peninsula, so there is almost 360* of water and forest (we call it bush).

We laughed - we were all groaning when we got out of the car after the 30 minute ride home because muscles and joints had seized up. My friend is in her early 40's (I think) , I'm 49 and hubby is 57). We looked like a a bunch of escapees from a nursing home! Ah, but we had lots of fun and we have Advil and ice packs for tomorrow.

OK, this little Hobbit is off to bed.:yawn:
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2006 09:02
MTMS Congrats to the young couple! Hope all goes well for them...

Swabby nice to hear about your youngest Son and Brother.

Sindy sounds like that is where our warm weather went to...

Neenime you and yours have my sympathy. I did 9 miles yesterday and had to do 4.5 miles this evening just to get the kinks out!

No ice packs here as it is getting colder in the mornings and evenings, thanks be to God!

I thought I'd stay home all day and get projects done but my spirit guides had other thoughts...
At 6:45 pm they pounced on me and asked me if I was going to the feed under the bridge after fifteen minutes of this I left for the feed.
Didn't get any food there, but did meet up with Timberwolf and we got some stuff done that we didn't know we were to do... [sigh] work done on the fly.

Hope everyones week is good!:love:
awelyn418
Send Message
on: July 31, 2006 02:38
MTMS, congratulations. It is great when ever you like your future in laws. What a sweet proposal. You talking about Sindy stories had me reading some yesterday and I agree with you they are quite good.Madame something's Ballroom Dance and Charm School was the name of the movie. I see you were caught red-handed Madame.

Neenime I am amazed at the stamina that you and others here have with the hiking and the walking I am so impressed. I would have needed ice packs and pain meds and someone to carry me down. I do exercise in the pool. I will not divulge my bra size I will keep it secret keep it safe.

Cat I was sleeping just great when my daughter woke me up taking a shower. I needed to get up. Today is my sister's 50th birthday and I am having my little girl's from my Sunday School class over for a pool party tomorrow and I want to clean and make things special for both events.

Have a good day.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2006 06:18
Ol' Swabby's imagination is active enough without knowing which of you have the good ol' biguns and the lil'o good'ns. I assure you that I love them all. If any of you do not wish to divulge your intimate details, that is perfectly alright with me.

Sindy, that is great that you got to go to the Clinton library. Mrs Swabby was there for the grand opening and we all went there for A visit A while back. It's pretty nice, isn't it? I know exactly what you mean about how sad it is to think about then and now. Did you go down the street to the souvenier shop? We've got stickers on our cars, coffee mugs, etc from there. I wish I had known you were coming through Little Rock, I could have suggested some restaraunts and other attractions for you to visit.

Weather-wise, we have been very hot and dry here. The rain has all gone north and south of us. At least I don't have to mow my grass all the time. It's as dead as the white tree of Gondor.

Congratulations on that good news, MT. I wish I could be announcing the marriage of one of my two available sons. I wish my oldest son just had A girlfriend, but you already know about that. Happy monday all you busty gals! (Likewise to all you not-so-busty gals) Swabby
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2006 07:13
Some have said that "death" is the dominate theme of Tolkien's masterpiece, and while there is A lot of that in the story, I feel that "love" plays A greater role. To me, there is no greater love than to place the welfare of others above one's own. What do you all think? Happy Sunday! Swabby

I agree, Swabby. Although I would add loyalty and honor to the mix as well. It must be a wonderful experience to share the movies with your brother. Perhaps when he reads the books he will begin to be more passionate about it all. That is what did it for me.

Awelyn, I'm planning on watching the movies once more on the big screen before we leave home in a few weeks. Any reason to watch them again is a good one.

Your soon to be daughter-in-law a Tolkien lover, MT? Your son has made an excellent choice for sure. Sounds like she will fit right in the family. You are indeed blessed!

No a/c at school, Sindy? Think that would drive me to the water cooler...probably would not be a pretty sight as I'd be sticking my toes and head in the cool water, lol. Hope the heat eases up by then for your sake.

Neenime and Vicarcat, you are both inspiring with your walking and hiking. Difficult to keep up with that in this heat.

We went out to dinner and to see POTC Saturday evening with a neighbor couple. Had a wonderful time and enjoyed the movie. But alas, all four of us missed the subtitles...is that a sign of aging when one cannot understand everything that is said? Will definitely buy the DVD when it comes out and use the subtitles!

Hope you all have a great week and enjoy what bit of vacation is remaining for those of you headed back to work soon. :heart::love: :hug:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2006 07:24
Greetings ** sleepy-eyed Neenime struggles to stay conscious. ** Man, that was some thunderstorm last night. It either lasted 3 hours or a few smaller ones took turns. Our dog paced the house from midnight until 3 AM, because she was too afraid to sleep. I tried calling her into bed, petting her, hugging...... not much comfort to be had. Poor thing. We took many trips outside, as I know that fear makes the bladder very active. I imagine that exhaustion finally made her fall asleep.

Good thing I went to bed early post-hike. At least I got a little shut-eye before the heavens decided to do a re-enactment of the Battle of Helm's Deep!Today we were to get more storms, but they're holding off for now.

Feeling virtuous after hiking, but applying ice packs to knees, hip and shoulders. * cre-e-e-e-ak *

Awelyn the only reason we can do this kind of hiking is because we started small. Regular walks, increasing the pace and frequency, small hikes. Hot weather has kept us indoors lately so we were huffing and pufing more than usual.

As we get older, the connective tissue is less elastic, so stretching becomes a maintenance activity and not just something that dancers and athletes do. Stretching feels good

Swabby sorry if we girls made you uncomfortable (same for Old Tom if he's lurkin' about). We discuss such matters easily and may forget that it could start a chain reaction of hormones and body parts in the menfolk. We'll behave now, right Shield-Sisters?

[Edited on 31/7/2006 by Neenime]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2006 01:54
Greetings from the Cracks of Doom formerly known as the PoG.

Holy Cow! It just keeps getting worse and worse! We've topped out today at about 103 with a heat index of 105. I had gone to school to meet with the previous teacher, who by the way has the same name as I do! How freaky is that??? Anyway, I went down early this morning, met with her, and came home just after lunch. I'm sure that asphalt is liquefying all over the PoG here! I was so wiped that when I got home I laid down and took a nap for 2.5 hours. I feel much better now, but I know that sleep won't be happening for me tonight.

MTMS, congratulations on the engagement of your son! Has there been a date set as of yet?

My son is bringing his girlfriend home to meet the family this Christmas. Well, he will be if he's not in Monterrey. I don't know if this one is "the one" but he seems pretty serious about her. Bless her heart, she was the one who took care of him for six weeks after he had his surgery and couldn't drive or do anything for himself. The mommie in me felt *so* bad that I couldn't get there to take care of my baby. So, if she can take care of a male from my family when he was sick, she's got to be pretty special.

I found some awesome LotR posters that I ordered for my classroom. They are from The American Library Association and have to do with reading. One is Frodo in a tree with the caption, "Read: Make it a Hobbit", then there's one with Arwen that is captioned "Fantasize New Worlds: Read" and Gandalf which says "Discover Magic: Read". I am so excited. If any of you are interested in the website, you'll find it here. I first saw the Frodo poster when I was taking my kids to the library right before FotR came out. I kept telling our local librarian that I was going to steal it, and that if it ever came up missing, she would have a pretty good idea of where to find it. A very dear friend of mine sent me the Frodo one this last winter, and I have that framed and in my office. I just wish they'd do one with The King. You know, there are screen shots with him and a book. That I would get multiple copies of.

Well, I'm going to go melt into a chair and watch a little mindless television and eventually go grocery shopping. We've been going to do that, but it's just been too darned hot to venture out.

Here's hoping it's cooler where you are! *raises a pint in your honor*
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2006 04:29
Oh, Scots! Thanks so much! I am now the proud owner of the three posters...they will look great in my classroom (except I think I'll hang Arwen in my office at home).
I thought of you when I saw there were wildfires raging across the PoG. Hope you're upwind! I think they were started by spontaneous combustion.

The temperature was 97 today and the heat index was 105. I think I saw Satan buying ice at the grocery store. I had the AC in the car cranked up so high my hair was blowing in the wind!!! I wish it was winter so we could b*t*h about the cold!

Congrats to your son, MTMS! She sounds like an inductee to the shield maidens' club.

:blush: A belated blush to those who complimented my stories. Yes, I have considered that as a retirement job and since I will not have to earn money, I can write yarns of Middle Earth and publish them on-line. Actually, I have a new idea rattling around called Songs of the Herald. It is the story of Elrond. I've scribbled just a bit about Gil-galad sending him to make amends for insulting Thranduil.....

Sindy

~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2006 06:23
Suilad, (hello)
I have just found this thread..and ..since I am slightly OVER forty..thought that I would post here and say that I have really enjoyed reading what you folks have posted...and look forward to getting to know you all better in the future..tho..my computer time is rather limited...but will visit as often as possible..if that is ok with you folks??
Navaer..(farewell) for now..
Randi

[Edited on 1/8/2006 by ~Randiriel~of_Wilderland]
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2006 07:23
Hello Randiriel! I hope you like it here.
We are a wild bunch of shield maidens and sailors...

I am the pet Half-Elf of the group so please forgive my
ocassional zanyness...
Oh and no I don't know what the other half is...
except that it is not Orc.

The weather is getting cooler here so I am looking at my
light jackets... can't afford any of the new Elven like styles
I am seeing in the stores. Could be worse I might not be
able to sew then I'd be in a real fix! As is I've to get things
done before school starts again in late September.

I will be walking more until the rains make it into
puddlejumping, then I'll shorten my miles-per-day to
about 3....

Hmmm I'm thinking of posting photos of the belt that
Silverleaf has altered...
Would anyone be interested in seeing them?

Mith I walk in the cool of the mornings and evenings
when it is below 90*F and on good days below 80*F...

Neenime does Ice Packs I do Hot Soaks in the bath
with epson salts... Not sure what Rose does...

Scots I'll pray for cooler weather for you and yours,
will 90*F be cool enough for a high temp?
I want to get my prayer right the first time!
Also thanks for the link to the posters...
I will get some in September.

Hope the weather gets cooler for everyone!:love:
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2006 07:43
Suilad, (Hello) Vicarcat,
*Randi bows to Vicarcat* It is so nice to meet you! I also am Peredhel...My ancestors came from Doriath area...where they were rescued by wolves..after being abandoned as young children in the forest..to starve..
I thank you for your warm welcome...and look forward to getting better acquainted...
Randi
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2006 08:23
mae govannen Randi. I too am half-elf. Welcome to our humble abode.
MT, ah, congrats to your son. He sounds such a sweetie!
The weather is much more pleasant here now, but some of you are still baking! I hope relief is in sight for you all soon.
I cant believe its almost school time already for you teachers. Wow, the time flew by.
Vicarcat, I would love to see your photos. And I will take photos at the Robin Hood festival this weekend.
Swabby, what a great thing that you are spending such quality time with your brother. And if he really is getting pulled in to the proffesor's world, you and he will have a very special bond.
A good morning to you all!
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2006 09:51
Suilad, (Hello) Calle..*bows to Calle* I am most pleased to make your acquaintance also. Hannon le..(thank you) for the warm welcome...
Tho I have been a member here for some time...circumstances have prevented me from spending much time here...Mainly..traveling...and helping care for my grandchildren... also...:blush: lack of computer knowledge...:blush: but I am learning more all the time about that...tho I may have some questions sometimes..If that is alright???
awelyn418
Send Message
on: August 01, 2006 02:41
Sulad Randi, I love reading all the Elvish spoken to each other here. We are a lively bunch and we hold to Tolkien dearly.How many grandchildren do you have? My knowledge of computers is limited but we have so many here that really know their computers. So, Welcome -Randiriel-of_Wilderland.

Scots I loved those posters and I think I am going to get those for my daughter. Her children will love them. Have the fires came close? Be careful.

Calle I had forgot about the Robin Hood festival. You have a great time and I am glad you are taking photos. We have alot of half-elves here don't we

Cat I am so glad it is cooling down for you. We are having high heat with heat indexes in the 105 range but a cool front is suppose to move in by Thursday I can stand anything for a few days. I would love to see your photos.

Have a good day.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2006 03:23
Aiya, ~Randiriel~of_Wilderland! Welcome to the insanity...errrm, I mean fun! :blush: Truly though, these are a great bunch of people. You'll enjoy yourself mightily I'm sure. I myself am not nearly elegant enough to be elven, or even half elven. I think I lean more toward the Hobbit end of the spectrum. Either that or I have an affinity towards the Rohirrim as well. My job in Middle Earth is to keep the pre-adolescent orklings in line and try to teach them the art of communication. Do you suppose that I might institute a new program...E.L.L.?? Elvish Language Learner. *giggle* What keeps you busy and out of trouble during the day?

Re: Fires on the PoG. I am on the other end of the PoG from the wildfires, but it is scary to see them nonetheless. I reside in the capital of the PoG, and things are just drying up something horrible. We are under water restrictions, which the spousal unit and I follow of our own accord even when there isn't one in place. Things here are just tinder dry although we don't have the expanses of prairie land that they do up in the northwest part of the state which is one of the factors for the wildfires. Of course, wildfires are part of the natural order here on the PoG, so it's not wholly unexpected. It's sad to see all that beautiful land burn though; the High Plains is my favorite part of the state. In the 80s there was a devastating fire up by Crawford and Fort Robinson which laid low many trees and grassland. Now though, it is growing back beautifully. I hope this set of fires is soon put down.

We had a few drops of rain last night--and I DO mean a *few*--; I would have sworn you could hear the water sizzle as it hit the pavement. It's cloudy at the moment and we're supposed to get some relief from the heat in the next day or two. That will be most welcome.

Time for me to be off to the doctor's for all those lovely exams that we of a certain age must submit to. Ick. Here's hoping you are all well and in fine spirits.

Namárië

Melianmaia
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2006 03:29
I suppose like Randiriel I too have just found this thread. I am older than dirt itself. I suppose I am an elf.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2006 04:10
It is sad to see things burned and made to look barren and lifeless, scots. I try to remind myself that sometimes that's nature's way (take out the global warming factor and human error). Wish that I could've sent the deluge we experienced yesterday over your parched area. As neenime said, I felt it was a re-enactment of Helm's Deep weather. It feels so good to be able to say those words to folks who know what I'm talking about!

Yes, we want pics of Robin Hood and (selected) men in tights, calle. I will be there with you in spirit, and would be in person if you weren't so far away....

Mae govannen Randi. This gathering of half-elves, shieldmaidens, sailors, writers, artists, story-tellers, healers, sages and kind-hearted souls is glad to have you amongst us. You will soon learn that we are a diverse group who respects/celebrates our differences. Love of Tolkien and his works unite us, and that unity is strong. It feels like family here. Welcome to the family! :hug:

Arwen poster, sindy???? You'd best hide the markers when I come around. Love your Song of the Herald story idea. Wish I had it sitting before me to read NOW!!

I will order some posters too, scots. Thanks for the link.

Who needs subtitles at POTC, mith, when you have all that eye candy to keep your mind occupied???

"Dead as the White Tree of Gondor"- love that line, swabby. One of my Leland cypress trees out back resembles that remark. Don't think it would resurrect if the King did return...but I sure would!:love:
Now swabby, do not worry about your son finding someone. I've been praying for a while for my eldest to choose a wonderful gal to settle down with. He's dated, but the gals didn't seem like wife material to him. He worried a bit himself, especially as his friends married and had children. I told him that God hasn't finished preparing his intended one just yet. Be patient. It happened for him and it can happen for your son. I'm praying so.

Have a great day, friends!

MT

[Edited on 8/2/2006 by BelleBayard]
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2006 04:12
Welcome Randi! I am one of the very few male species who dares to tread these waters. Actually, the FoF members are A bunch of real sweethearts who treat me much better than I deserve. I hope you're not easily shocked or embarrassed though, because there is A tendancy for some of the members to stray off course and bring up subjects that are---gulp---"Naughty". Why, just recently they started broadcasting their BRA-SIZES to the world! I was shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you! What was A poor innocent old sailor like me to do but brace himself against A sturdy bulkhead and hope we'd go back to talkin' about the weather and knot-tyin' and such. Now me, I stay on course like A good sailor and never venture into those dark waters of controversial subjects. And if some one tells ye that I didn't necessarily get me brown eyes from me dear old mama, and that they might be brown for another reason, don't pay any attention to 'em!

I hope you're right about my brother and I, calle. Robin Hood festival, huh? I wish I could go, but since I can't, I hope you have A very merry old time!

My son and I went to see "Lady in the Water" yesterday. I must say I don't know what the critics were griping about because I liked it. I think it would have been better if the author had just done A cameo like PJ and Alfred Hitchcock instead of playing A full role. It's sort of like that time that Joan Rivers and her daughter played themselves in their own life story. It just doesn't seem right.

Has anyone seen Rose? She's playing hookey again, isn't she?

Happy Tuesday, all you terrific gals! (and OTB wherever you are) Swabby

Whoa! What the great barrier reef is going on here? Another well-seasoned Tolkien-lover has wandered in from the wastelands? Greetings Melian! By all means, join us in our sometimes wise and sometimes silly talk!

[Edited on 1/8/2006 by swabby]
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2006 04:54
Suilad,(hello) awelyn418, scots56, Melianmaia, MinasTirithMS, and swabby...
Hannon le (thank you) all so very much for the warm welcome..
I am so glad that I DID wander in here..and get to make your acquaintance!!
you are indeed..very brave..swabby..to venture into areas like this..that seem to be mostly female..
lol and..swabby...don't worry...I learned long ago...to wear at least...knee-high boots nearly everywhere I go! lol 'cause I know that it can get rather deep at times!
Scots56, what keeps me busy and out of trouble during the day?? hmmm? *is thinking* :blush: I am ALWAYS getting into trouble of one sort or another...What's the fun in not doing so? lol I guess..working on the farm and caring for about..umm. 115 animals, yardwork, and gardening..help a bit with the "trouble" thing.. lol
again..hannon le...(thank you) all for your warm welcome ..
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2006 05:41
Mae Govannen to our new elvish (half and otherwise) members!

(Sindy bows deeply to the new arrivals and blows a kiss to Swabby.) I am sometimes a story teller and in the cooler months a teacher of adolescent orklings. I try to teach them what should be their native tongue. I live here just at the uplands of the valley of the Bainduin (Beautiful River which in Shawnee is O-ha-yo) where Satan has come for his summer vacation. 107 is really too hot for existence!!!! I have (in order of importance ) a sword, a bow, a tabby cat, and a DH.

I hope you enjoy the company here so pull up a chair and I'll get Butterbur to draw you a pint!

Sindy
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: August 01, 2006 06:56
MT, congratulations for your son's engagement! :hug: Your future daughter-in-law sounds like a great addition to your family!

Welcome to the madhouse, Randiriel and Melianmaia! :cheers: Nice to get new people along!

Yesterday was my first back at work, and the whole show was immediately going on. Fortunately, the rest of this week seems somewhat easier. And on Friday, I'll fly to Oxford for the weekend, to meet some other Tolkien fans...

Yesterday, I was with the hubby and the younger daugter at Eric Clapton's concert, which meant that the evening went quite late, and I only slept some five hours last night. So, today I'll crawl into my bed very early... I enjoyed the concert a lot, and the warm-up set was played by another great blues guitarist, Robert Cray (who also joined Clapton's band in a couple of pieces).

Have a good start of the week, everyone! :hug:
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2006 06:57
Hi everyone especially Randiriel and Melianmai

Sindi I meant to say I had read your stories before and thought they were good it was great when I discovered I knew the author! (albeit just via this forum) I don't know about you but I find writing very therapeutic.

I am still working on my LOTR POTC crossover (14 pages and counting) I may post it to fanfiction.net when finished.

Take care everyone

Love and hugs

HT:heart:
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2006 07:28
sindarinelvish, Morwinyoniel, HeriTavaril,
Hannon le (thank you) also for the warm welcome..I am having lots of fun here already..and look forward to getting to know you all better...
Sindy..so you try to instruct young yrch, huh? You must be a VERY brave person!! my hat..(if I had one on) would be off to you!
Sounds indeed as tho Satan is visiting your area..It gets hot enough here in Wilderland..(Texas) to suit me..tho I don't think it has quite reached THAT high ...YET!! and I hope it doesn't..'tho Aug is just starting..
I also have a bow...a Lothlorien bow..from Arms of Valor..Are you then..an archer? How wonderful!! And do you get a chance to practice much? What weight is your bow?? And what size and weight arrows do you use? Oppps! sorry! :blush: Here I go again...playing Pippin with all the questions...:blush:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2006 08:15
Melianmaia, welcome to the fold! Good times to be had here.

The doctor's appointment went fine. I check out healthy and ready for another year of orkling herding. The doc said I have the heart and chest of a 14 year old. Down, Swabby! Get your mind out of the gutter!! LOL Cholesterol is a bit high, so on to the meds for that. But other than that I am healthy as a horse. Well, as a horse that's in need of losing about 20 pounds or so. :blush: But all in all it was a good report. I'm glad to know I'm going to live another year at least.

Re: Life after school. I think that I would like to take up writing after I leave school as well. Now, I'm not nearly so talented as I would like to be. Maybe some classes are in the offing for me, but that's something I've been thinking of.

Well, off I go to play on the internet. I'm staying out of the elements today. It's shaping up to be another HOT one. It rained a bit this morning; just enough to drive the humidity up. So special.

Take care, all.
<< First1011121314Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email