Register

<< First1112131415Last >>
Author Topic:
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
Post RE: Fans Over Forty ~ Part VII
on: August 01, 2006 01:23
Hello,Melianmaia old as dirt I do not believe it I would say that you are aged like fine wine. Anyway welcome we always have room for more.

Swabby, I love your new avatar. It is very peaceful. You old sea dog acting all innocent.I think Randi has you figured out all ready.

Scots I am so glad you are doing ok. I need to lose weight and I will by golly.

Hi,HT and Morwin. I am sorry your first day back was awful. Keep your chin up. HT ,good luck with the writing.

Calling all cars, calling all cars, be on the lookout for one Belle,Rose and OTB and Balrog, Mag and many others. That is all over and out. We do miss you all come home to FOF.
Well, I am going for a dip in the pool. Bye for now
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2006 03:03
Mae govannes Melian. We must have been posting at the same time, as I would have "spoken" to you sooner. Glad to have you join this "merry band." Like your name. I am a melian on another site. Powerful women need to have powerful names.

How lucky for you to meet with other Tolkien fans, morwin. I would LOVE to meet you fantastic FoF folks...and I will some day!
ERIC CLAPTON!!! WOW!!! I think I'd be rockin' round the house or at work if I'd been to his concert.

Your writings make me laugh/smile HT. Looking forward to reading your LOTR/POTC story.

I thought I recognized a southern lady, Randi. Awelyn, swabby and I are also from below the Mason-Dixon line, though we love all the nuts..err, folk here. I live in LA..Lower Alabama-along the Gulf Coast. I' m a beach loving, sword weilding, ranger adorerer.

Not sure if I'd want the heart and chest of a 14 year old, scots. Remember that 14 year-old heart being broken a time or two and that chest wasn't very womanly. (Relax, swabby, I'm not telling by bra size!)
Life after school: I'm thinking that I want to be involved with renaissance festivals. Perhaps I'll be one of the Washing Well Wenches, a squire to the jousters, or a merchant who sells swords and shields and cool stuff.

MT
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2006 04:18
Would also like to wish you both mae govannen, Randi and Melian. You've found a wonderful forum here. 'Tis a great place to share your love of Tolkien and much more. We do tend to get a bit silly here but are a loving and supportive group.

Awelyn, I like what you said about aging like fine wine. Have you started watching the movies yet?

Has been hot here as well. Not even the lake breezes are cooling right now. Determined to be cool I bought a new sun dress. Very cool and comfy and hold on Swabby, no bra required. Size, well let's just say somewhere in between and feeling fortunate to wear that dress, lol.

HT, I know what you mean about writing being therapeutic. I keep a journal and it always seems to help writing. What is your name on the Henneth Annûn site? Would love to read your stories. Would love to try that some time for fun. But I am a creature of mood :rolling: and have to be in a certain one for any creativity to flow.

Stay cool, everyone and have a great day/night! :heart::love: :hug:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2006 04:27
Scots you poor thing! Don't melt in those beastly hot temperatures. Does it make you think of the Cracks of Doom? Stay cool, Woman ! Glad your check-up went well.

Randi and Melian a big welcome from all of us. I think you will find us a wild and entertaining bunch with big hearts, lots of soul. We are mischievious and full of interesting life experiences.

I am from the far nothern kingdom of Arnor, where we must be careful not to roll out of bed in winter, else we might break our pajamas! Unfortunately, we are not spared hot weather either. Had more severe thuinderstorms go rolling through yesterday, but the night was calm and everyone slept. Yay! :disco:

Tell us a bit about yourselves. We all love to tell and read each other's stories. **settling in with a goblet of cool wine punch, ready for a story **

(Say, where can we find an emoticon of someone fanning? or a wind blowing?)
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2006 04:50
Miththoliel, and Neenime,
Hannon le..(thank you) for the warm welcome...and Swabby...if I offended you with my remarks about boots...please accept my apology..no offense intended..
Tell you something about myself, hmm??
Well...what to write...that will not be rated....umm..bad...
I come from a large family...(where we learned to keep knee-high boots on..!) Eight of us kids.. I am a widow with three kids...2 boys and 1 girl..both boys were in the service..spent time overseas...In fact..I was visiting my son who was stationed in England..when I first got acquainted with LotR..
My son was sent out into the field..and my daughter-in-law was trying to find a way for us to pass the time...(since we were just getting acquainted..) She put FotR in...and I was hooked...right away..Made her take me out the next day to find the LotR books...
This was two and a half years ago..
I live in East Texas ..on a farm..and my daughter and I are getting into raising horses.. At present we have 14..also have dogs, cats, rabbits, goats, chickens and one turtle..
I love all things outdoors..riding, camping, fishing, swimming..hiking..gardening..flowers..oh! yes! must not forget archery! I have a Lothlorien bow..which I practice with every chance I get..
ummm.. is that enough info for now??
Whew!! now it is someone else's turn..
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2006 09:02
Mae Govannen!
Lots of posts since I last came by... and a new friend I hope in Melian?

Scots nice to hear you are doing well.
Heart and chest of a 14 year old... wish I was that well off,
what is your secret?

I am still working on projects but finally have some photos of the
bathroom after I redecorated it... I'll post them after I finish typing this...

Timberwolf and I ran into another Half-Elf in the park, her aussie-sheepdog
is named Sam short for Samwise... looks like she might be a cousin.
Haven't found out if she is a LoTR fan yet, but she lives 2 blocks from
where I do so I might run into her again soon.

I am still grouchy about that fellow who thinks Seelie Court Elves
dececrate sacred grounds...
I did remind Timberwolf that diplomacy is the best in this situation,
though he wants to use Apache diplomacy and I told him I wanted
Lorien style diplomacy... Timberwolf agreed in the end as he always does.

I will get photos of Silverleafs belt when he has it finished along with a
photo of what the belts look like before Elves get to them...
and also a photo of the armguards that he put eylets into for me...
I will get eyelets into the shorter set tomorrrow I hope.
I am to meet with Timberwolf aftet 1 pm tomorrow so don't know how
much I'll get done here.

Had a fellow under the bridge for the feed ask if he could come home
with me, I said I'd have to ask my husband as he would be sleeping at
my husbands feet... Timberwolf having dibbs on the bathtub!
Need to get a large house on the outskirts of Portland for homeless Elves
and their allies... [sigh] I'm dreaming again right?

Nightwatch is closed for two weeks while they repair all the site including
the paint and floor and whatnots... so the gang is helping those who
normaly get goods at nightwatch to find other resources [so far so good].

I got 7 miles in walking today picking up thread and going to the feed....

Would love to have a LothLorien Bow, but will have to use my crossbow
pistol for now...

Hope it cools off for everyone...
It was in the 90*s today so can't complain here.

OK 'am off to post bathroom photos in the members area...

callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2006 09:41
Ok these posts are coming up faster than I can keep up!
A big welcome Melian. I am rather an older elf myself. Sometimes I feel I was planted here about the time of the two trees of Valar and other times as A new young elf full of mischief.
This is great, like a big family gathering with more family coming through the door with each passing hour. I am so glad you new ones have found us. We are a happy family with lots of fine storytellers and loads of comfort for each other through darker times.
Have Butterbur send me a pint as well Sindy. On second thought, Neenime ..I'll have a cool wine punch please.
Hannon le! and now...I have four children Randi and Melian, two grown sons and a teenage son and daughter. I am in the UK, my birthplace, after having grown up mostly in the states in Florida. I am in a sort of limbo right now as I am very settled and happy here but I have a very ill Mum in the states that wants me back there. Still dont know what to do.... (need prayers my friends)! I am very close to nature, my big love alongside Tolkiens world. I love to run and I like archery too Randi, but my dodgy shoulder is not liking that right now. Not a good thing for an elf.
Randi, 115 animals!? ah, heaven! You can be our keeper of the horses when we build our own ME.
Scots, good on your checkup I think we all sort of have that higher cholesterol thing. My weakness is sweets. :drool:
Do watch out for those fires though, we will all be blowing hard to keep those winds blowing away from you.
Swabby, you and I both with the older son. MT, dont forget my son in those matrimony prayers please! Oh, MT, what a great thought to get involved in Renaissance festivals! How fun would that be!
Morwin, I love Eric Clapton. I'd be rockin' too! Have a great time in Oxford. We know you will as you will be amongst other Tolkien fans. ah bliss...
Sindi and HT, keep those fine stories coming. I have a great imagination but cannot put it into words. I am so thankful the Proffessor could! And so you too, should keep sharing your lovely stories. There is something very special about the story tellers.
No i melain na le...may the valar be with you...
awelyn418
Send Message
on: August 02, 2006 03:30
Mith, I know what you mean I have to feel in the mod to write a poem.

Oh for the Newcomers. I live in Southeast Missouri. I am married with three adult children. My 23 year old baby still lives at home There is a story there but won't get into that now. I have 6 grandchildren. I have a passion for all things Tolkien. I am an instructor at my school as a Parents As Teachers educator. I love swimming and dancing ,reading,children, working in the garden. I love ghost stories but not the blood and gore horror stories. I think that is enough for now.

Calle, I have been wondering about your mom. I will keep you in my prayers. My weakness is sweets also. If I had no desire for sweets I would have no weight problem. I did not know you liked to run. I am very sore because I have been exercising in the pool and I think I over did it. I will not exercise just swim and I will rest my arm today. It was the rotator cuff problem flaring up.

Who is the other Tolkien fofer that owns a farm. Is it Brandywine?
Randi and her would have alot in common.

Cat , You do so much good work. Do you ever get weary with all the things you do? I mean you are a priest and a wife,half-elf.
You walk everyday. I bet your bathroom looks nice.

Hi Neenime have a good day.

Yesterday, I got the coolest TT posters. I put it into a poster frame and put it downstairs with my other Tolkien things. It looks so good. It has Gandalf holding a sword and then there is Aragorn and Legolas Theoden,Frodo Faramir,Eomer ,Sam,Pippin ,Merry,Eowyn,Gimli. I don't know why they did not have Arwen on it. I love it though.
I had fun at the pool party I had for my Sunday school class. The little girls can swim like fish and I introduce one to wheat bread,and salami. She loved both. It was turkey salami I have been trying to eat healthier.

I need to go run some errands so I will stop by later.
Melianmaia
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2006 04:35
I am overwhelmed by all your welcomes!! I do feel at home. Maybe I was exagerating my age (fairly new dirt I guess) I live in Suffolk haveing grown up in New England. I have a horse and donkey (so cute) and a 14 year old daughter who uses the name Luthien. I say, Calle fancy coming over for some target practice. I have long bow I shoot in the garden (mostly plastic bottles and buckets). Sweets are my (and Luthien's) downfall as well, I just can't give them up. I am a professional bean counter (accountant) and former professional horseman (too dangerous) so Mae govannen and warm sunshine to you all.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2006 04:46
Things were getting A little slow around here for A while, but now we're really hopping! All these over-forty newbies (say, isn't that an oxymoron?) wandering in and joining our clan is just great! Ya know what it tells me? This means that interest in Middle Earth is still strong. I think my one-year anniversery is coming up and we've still got the same folks(with A couple of exceptions) posting now that we had back then, plus some extras. We have grown, Yippeeee!

Sindy, I really liked that kiss, but now I'm all red-faced. You probably didn't know I was A shy old sea dog. I read A little bit of your writing and it is terrific! Of course we all know how terrific you are, so naturally we would expect nothing less.

Previously, I have tried to "define" us here at FoF, and one attribute that most of us seem to have, other than A love of music, is A keen interest in, or A flare for, writing. We do love the written word, don't we? Belle, Sindy, HT, MT, Mith, Awelyn, Rose------I know there's more, have all impressed me at one time or another with their writing skills. What A special and unique group we have!

Scots----you say you have A 14 year old chest? I'm 58 but I think my heart came from A junkyard, so it must be about 88. I'm jealous! Now if you could be more explicit in describing this chest of yours----.

Have no fear, Randi, I knew just what you meant about the boots. You got the joke I meant to convey and played along. That's good. I'm A little bit of A performing monkey here at FoF and will do almost anything for A laugh, so you may need to just overlook my shinanigans at times.

For the sake of the very few of you who might not already know, I live in Northwest Arkansas now, but am A twenty-year Navy veteran and have done A good bit of sailing around the world. I've spent time in Europe and Asia and have lived in several different states, including Mississippi, Florida, Washington, California and Texas. I've been married twice and have two sons by my first wife, ages 31 and 37. (They both live in Houston) I have A son by my second wife who just turned 15. (He is my sun, moon and stars)
I am obviously A big fan of the Professor and his works and call myself an amatuer artist. (I have A gallery in "fan art") I also dabble with poetry and have A few poems in "fan fiction". I'm A motorcycle enthusiast and used to repair and restore motorcycles, both professionally and as A hobby. I play and collect guitars, like to cook and just have way too many hobbies and interests in general.

Mith, I'd sure like to see you in that dress! You ladies either make me feel young or endanger my health with your vivid decriptions of your hot looks. Please don't stop!:evil: Swabby
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2006 05:59
Who is the other Tolkien fofer that owns a farm. Is it Brandywine?

That would be her! I was fortunate to spend a couple days with Brandywine in May, and she has a lovely farm in absolutely georgous surroundings.
Now if you could be more explicit in describing this chest of yours----.

I wouldn't want to excite your anticipation. Nothing...and I mean nothing...exciting there. LOL I am glad to know my heart is healthy especially with my family history of heart disease.

Me in a Nutshell

- I teach language arts to 7th grade orklings.
- Live in the PoG (formerly known as Nebraska)
- Family: I'm the youngest of seven siblings. I've been married to a wonderful man for nearly 27 years. We have an absolutely fabulous son who is a Navy man like Swabby although he's only been in just over four years. He's the light of my life for sure.
- Interests: reading (The Professor of course, Love Harry Potter, any kind of fantasy really, mystery, historical fiction, biography. I'll read just about anything that I can get my hands on to tell the truth. I like to write as well although I don't claim to have any talent towards that bent at all! I write with the FoF writer's group which is a great deal of fun. I think that's why I like to write. I like to garden and walk.

I think that's the Reader's Digest Condensed Version of my life at the moment. Not really exciting stuff, but it's me.

Have a good day all.
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2006 11:55
On reading back over the previous posts:
Swabby..Theme of Tolkiens masterpiece? I agree with you, love has a much greater role..and also..I think..hope and friendship..
at the farm..we don't bother with a push-mower..we just use our "redneck riding mower" a horse!! Not only does it mow the grass..but it fertilizes as it goes..and you can ride it..or not..as you desire!! Can't beat that for a mower!!
glad I didn't offend you..it just sorta slipped out!! :blush:
You sound like a fun-loving guy..I have enjoyed..(and laughed at) what you have posted! Keep up the good work! A good laugh is ALWAYS better than any medicine!
Ladies with hot looks, huh? 'Fraid I don't fit that discription..*whispers* but we still don't mind hearing it!! lol
If you are interested in seeing some "ladies" with hot looks..a friend of mine posted some pics of three of our "redneck riding mowers" at War of the Ring..under Cuiel Rilwen's gallery..
one of them is of our new baby..she is only about 18 hours old here...(my daughter is also in the pic with mama and baby)
I did not ..and still don't ..know how to post pics...so Cuiel very kindly posted them for me...
Sindarinelvish, where DID you get that word.."harr" It is a new word to me also..and ..what is your pen name..(for your stories) ? I love to read fan-fic..
Awelyn418..glad the party went well for you.. Entertaining a bunch of youngsters is always...entertaining!
Vicarcat, you said the weather is getting cooler..WHERE in Middle Earth are you located? It is still over 100 degrees in the shade here! *wipes sweat off face*
Would love to see the Silverleaf belt..
Calle..what.. and where..is the Robin Hood festival? I know..of course.. who Robin Hood is..but did not know of a festival in his honor.. lol
Awelyn418, hehe..we are a pair then..as far as computer knowledge goes!!??
About grandchildren..My oldest son has three little girls..ages..2, 3, and 4 years old..My youngest son..who is still in the service..has a step-daughter..age 7 and a step-son, age 9..and one on the way!! My daughter (age 25) isn't married yet..so her only babies are the four-legged kind..(horses, dogs, cats, goats, etc) lol
Scots 56.. elegant?? you have to be elegant to be Elven?? Oooops!! Someone forgot to mention that to my ancestors!! 'Cause I surely don't fit that description!! (If you want to see what I look like..you'd have to go to War of the Ring and look in Members Photos..page 6, 2nd row..)lol
ummm..a question...what is PoG?? and where exactly are these wildfires located??
Sindy...what kind of bow do you have?? and what is a DH??
Vicarcat..ummm Seelie Court Elves??
Calle..hehe I am known as the zookeeper in certain areas..(for more that 30 plus years) so a few more horses would be welcomed!!
So you speak some sindarin..huh? Good for you! I am still trying to learn it..tho the process is slow...
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2006 12:29
Sends another kiss in Swabby's direction for the kind writing remarks. (Swabs, no one here believes you are blushing .)

Back to the busty discussion...a college room mate once said that anything more than a champagne glass is unnecessary extra. Well, I've "eye-balled" it and decided somewhere between a red wine goblet and a brandy snifter is about right. (Bet that description unfurled the sails, Swabby!)

Now can we get back to the ranger in kilts discussion?

Randiriel, my pen name is Sindarinelvish and my stories are at Henneth-Annun.net.

Who did first use harr? Hervi?

I have a long bow, the draw is about 22 lbs. I think, and I shoot wooden arows with red and black flights. I have a target but I'm practicing to get my evil, flower eating ground hog one day (not! Just dreaming; he's safe.)

DH is dear husband. And he is!

Sindy

SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2006 01:44
OK I have the bathroom photos up, and have submitted the photos of
Silverleaf my hubby and of his belt...
Silverleaf will be under members Vicarcat'sSilverleaf and his belt will be
in costumes under either Vicarcat'sSilverleaf'sBelt or just Silverleaf'sBelt...
Not sure how soon the belt photos or silverleafs photo will be up as I
just submitted then a few minutes ago...

Silverleaf and I are in Portland Oregon at PSU in campus housing...
We are both religious and finishing degrees at PSU.
Silverleaf is 65 and I am 45. We have been married for 16 years and
are wanting another 32 if we can live so long...
I have no children but Slverleaf has one daughter Nicole age 45 and
two sons David 41 and Ian 34... and grandchildren that live far away....
I think both Rochelle and Patrick are at College now but they may be
in Europe for the summer.

Silverleaf and I have our hands full with all the elven and Half-Elven
who are in Poartland... We are the local representatives of Seelie Court.

Oh! Seelie Court is the Elven court that seeks peacefull accord with
Humanity.. Whereas Unseelie Court seeks no accord with anyone!
You can find more info about the Faerie Courts under Scottish
Mythology... If you want history look up the tale of Jonny Faa....
he stole the Earl of Dalhousie's daughter and took her for wife.
Ah such venerable ancestors I have
[right along with Captain Morgan terror of the Seas...].

I have begun to wonder if the Elves of Seelei Court are decended from
those Elves who didn't see the light of the Two Trees...
Hmm that would make Seelie elves Moriquendi...
[gak not sure how to spell that]... though we behave more like Sindar.
Have to ponder that for a while...

Haven't gotten my walk in yet but I think I need to put my wash in the
dryer now so will post again later!

MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2006 04:37
Calle, matrimonial prayers for your son and healing prayers for your mum are being lifted up. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to be so far away for an ailing parent. My dad's near by and is doing well and I still worry about him.

Like that TT poster your described, awelyn, especially since there was NO ARWEN in it.

I agree with you, sindy. Now is a good time to discuss the great value of rangers in kilts.:love:
Like the comment about the champagne glass, though I think I'm just a wee bit more...maybe a small marguerita glass?? Now I'm thirsty for a frozen one! :cheers:

I'm so sorry, swabby to have brought the discussion back to bra size again. You are such a good man for putting up with us bawdy women. What would we do without you?

Don't worry about being "hot", Randi, swabby's eyesight isn't what it used to be and if you are nice to him, you'll "make the grade."

I can't believe that school will start a week from tomorrow! Summer vacation sped by. I'm going to reward myself for being such a hard worker by going shopping-tax free weekend on back to school stuff-clothes included! Will also try to squeeze in some LOTR viewing. Ahhh, I feel better already!

MT
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2006 09:26
really quick before I go to work....
Good morning!
Awelyn, thank you so much for your prayers and thinking about my mum. I am glad to hear your sunday school party was fun. How wonderful to have your own pool to dip in when all this heat is amongst us! Even though yesterday here in the UK, we had loads of rain and it was quite a bit cooler. Very refreshing.
Vivarcat, I tried looking at your photos but they wouldnt come up. Maybe its too soon. I will try again later.
Also, Randi, I couldnt find your photos either at WOTR. Maybe its just me and my lack of computer skills :blush:
Randi, the festival is in Nottingham UK, in Sherwood Forest
http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/robinhoodfestival/
I only speak a little Sindarin, but I am ever learning more. I have only my dog to speak to as my other family members roll their eyes, whereas Cocoa (cecolas in Sindarin) understands elvish and likes it when I speak it to him . small phrases like, 'tele naneth cecolas' (come to mummy Cocoa), 'Aniral Sogad?' (do you want to drink?), And 'melen gen an urieb' ( I'll love you forever)...and more, but it helps learning when you can use little bits daily on someone. Forgive my spelling on some of it, but I am in a hurry, so may be off on some spelling.
MT, please may I say thank you for your prayers also...they mean a lot to me as I am a firm believer.
I'll get back to looking up those photos later as I must run...
garo arad vaer! (have a good day)
Melianmaia
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2006 03:51
I too speak some sindarin like calle mainly to the dog or to the horse...noro lim fatty lumpkin noro lim!
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2006 04:09
I, Swabby Abner Tobias Chumcutter, having an insatiable appetite for learning and sometimes blurred vision, report to you now my scientific findings concerning female chinoobies and what size drinking vessels they might fill. (Not really) I must say all that talk yesterday has caused me to have endless visions of various vino, brandy, margarita and jelly jars filled with something both peculiar and highly mesmerizing. This old sailor has enough trouble distinguishing manatees and walruses from beautiful women, and now I'll be forever seein' boobies in me flagon! All these kisses and explicit details have got something unfurled alright, but I wouldn't call it A sail! Now you girls behave yourselves!

Whew, my motor's really runnin' this morning! MT knows me too well, Randi. I already have an image of you forming in my mind----long dark hair, galloping across an east Texas landscape with nice big jelly jars--------I'd better stop right there. A feller could get A little too unfurled.

Vicarcat, I'm sorry for all this rather ribald talk, but THEY made me do it.

Ah yes, Rangers in kilts, bendin' over to tie their shoe laces. I know what you girls think about. Poor Aragorn---if he only knew. Later, Swabby
Melianmaia
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2006 04:17
Perhaps a quick capsize in the sea would cool you down Swabby. I too am forever learning all the time. I have really bitten off a huge chunk (maybe not more than I can chew but it is a slow grind) and taken up violin. That is a challenge!!
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2006 04:27
Goodness, what will Randi and Melian think of us? We really are a mischievious bunch. And [b/]vicarcat[/b] is no doubt praying mightily for our salvation...........

Callë I want to add my prayers for you and your mother. I hope that you both are restored to good health and untroubled mind. You know that a lot of love flows from the people here.:love:

Prayers for all our children and grandchildren, also. May they be blessed with good health, good friends, loving partners and work that gladdens their hearts.

Randi I looked for you photo in the Members GAllery but couldn't find it either by Search function or manual. Not sure what I'm dong wrong. Are you listed by your screen name? A short version?

Thanks for the Elvish lessons, all you speakers. I sort of read and write , that is read the letters, but not understand the words unless they are spelling something in English. I can't generate sentences and my vocabulary is very limited. Really must resume practicing.

Cat - a question (I hope you don't mind it in the forum. PM me if you would prefer that). I wasn't aware of any woman priests, vicars or any other clerics in the Eastern Orders, aside from nuns. Any Eastern Catholics or even Orthodox people that I have know have tended to be more conservative than the Roman Catholics. My former Chruch (Eastern Rite Catholic) didn't even have "altar girls" until there were absolutely no more boys left in the parish. Please enlighten me.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2006 08:35
Hi everyone

Mith I haven't posted on Henneth Annuin but have on fanfiction.net my name there is Tavaril2000 but only a couple of stories up so far.

Sindi Yes! Rangers in Kilts not nearly enough of these lately
Rugged manly men with big swords (I may have to go for a cold shower!)

Re Haar; I think I used it first it is a Scottish word but according to Swabby its what hillbillies call the stuff that grows on your head. Here is another good Scottish word Sittootery meaning a conservatory or a place you "sit out". I have never found a kilted Ranger in one though. While we are on the subject of kilts I think elves might look good in them too.

Love and Hugs to all especially our newbies who must be rather baffled by all the kilted Ranger references!

HT:heart:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2006 09:01
Yes, let's return to that most popular subject---"Rangers in kilts" I think it would be safer for me. You new folks must know that we have spent considerable time on that subject previously. I even wrote A silly poem about it that can be found at "fan fiction".

Melian, yes, A quick capsize in the icey ink-black Atlantic, that's what I need. Hey, wait A dogone minute, this isn't A diving board I'm on! ................... to be continued
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2006 12:02
Sindy..Hannon le (thank you) for the info about your stories..will try to find time to look them up soon..thanks also for the info about your long bow..What kind is it and where did you find it..same with the arrows??
My longbow is a 35 lb. Lothlorien bow..2nd edition.from Arms of Valor..also got some wooden cedar arrows to go with it..tho..I shoot a variety of different types and weights of arrows..just to see which works best..(my strength only allows me to be about 35-50 feet from the target to be able to hit it!) :blush: OH!! The sorrows of getting older! lol (I am 60 years old and have problems with my neck and shoulders resulting from being thrown from a horse years ago..)
Vicarcat..YAY!!! I know where Portland, Or. is..My son and his family lived near Medford, Or. for some years..I moved there to help care for the 3 grandbabies while they were still babies..three years old and under!!
I wish you and Silverleaf (what a beautiful name! so Elvish sounding!) many more years together..
Thanks for the info about Seelie Court..
:drool: I like the idea of rangers in kilts!! :drool: *wipes drool off mouth*
Calle, Hannon le (thank you) for the link to the festival! OH!! It looks like SO much fun! Wish I could be there!
I probably didn't give very good instructions about WotR..If you go to the Photo-Forum (located at top of main page just underneath the diamond shaped heading) click on Photo-Forum, then scroll down to "Personal Favorites", then down to "Favorite Places".click on any of Cassandrias pictures..then below her name..click on "see this user's gallery".. you will find pictures of Cass and I at Sandia Peak, NM. Sept 4, 2005.
I was lucky enough to get to meet her..the first ..and only..LotR fan I have ever personally met!! Long story there tho!!
or...you could go to Member of the Month (upper right hand corner of the page) to the MotM Gallery..I'm on page 2, Jan. 2005 or..Member Photos Page 6
I am still working on the Sindarin also...
Melianmaia,
I'm afraid that I would not be saying to my horse..."Noro lim, Bain Caraniel, noro lim !" but instead..."Daro! Bain! Daro! Avam noro lim!" (Stop! Bain! Stop! We won't run fast!)
(Thank Eru..*and CoE* for dictionaries!! lol
Swabby..How'd you know I have long dark hair?? and I can understand the part.."galloping across an ET landscape" since you know I have several horses.....but.. honestly!!! JELLY JARS!!!??? *falls out of chair laughtilng* my friend, you just made my day!! roflmao Thank you!!
Melianmaia ..You are learning to play the violin?? That is wonderful!! Playing a musical instrument is something I have always wanted to do..but alas..*put back of hand to forehead*
No talent in that direction..I have attempted (note that word!) to learn the Indian flute..but not much luck..tho it is fun to try...as long as I am in the north east pasture...!! Hang in there!! You'll make it!!
Neenime.. Yes I am listed in WotR as Randiriel of Wilderland..
I ..too.. need to practice my Sindarin more..need to take the course again too! Which I plan to do..soon as we have our phone back on at home!!
HeriTavaril Suilad. (Hello) I love Swabby's defination of "haar" and if I happen to see a "sittootery" I'll definately search it for a kilted Ranger..or Elf!!
*goes with HT to look for a "sittootery" filled with kilted Rangers/Elves*
Thanks for the warm welcome...
Swabby..WHAT are you using for a diving board?? or..Perhaps I shouldn't ask?? lol
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2006 04:39
Rangers and Elves in kilts, oh yes! :heart::love: :naughty: Now that's enough to get any shield maiden's attention for sure. While that inspires endless fantasies and daydreams, I wonder if anyone has written a story on kilted Rangers?

HT, thanks for the info. I saved the site on my favorites and will read them. Will have a bit more time in September if I don't get to them before when hubby is not around all the time, lol. And hopefully resume Sindarin studies. Sitottery is an interesting word. I look forward to Swabby's interpretation.

One of my sisters called last night and complained for an hour. I worry about her, she is so stressed and tries to do too much. My brother-in-law quit his job of 30 years recently and they are having quite a time. Sorry to ramble on, just wish she would or could be happy.

Take care, everyone. I read and enjoy all of your posts. Calle, will say a special prayer for your mom and you as well.
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2006 05:20
Miththoliel..I agree..Rangers and Elves in kilts are enough to get anyones' attention! Sure got mine!!
You are gonna resume Sindarin studies? Have much have you done on the lessons? I am going to try to redo the lessons..it has been over a year since I have had a chance to do much with them..so plan to just start over..
*hugs* hope that your sister can get things worked out..being stressed out is NOT any fun! Unload any time you want to..feel free to PM me if you like..*hugs*
Randi
awelyn418
Send Message
on: August 03, 2006 05:46
Melian, I hope you don't mind if I shorten your name. I think it is great you learning to play violin I love that instrument. I try to learn to play piano when I was younger. It was to stressful for me. I know the basics but when I was taking lessons a 72 year lady was taking lessons.

Mith ,Sorry about your sister. She must be very frustrated and you must be also. I have not finished the movies yet but I am almost finished with reading the book again.

Swabby , Are you up to your old pranks? My son has his new CD out and he got a great review from Music of America. His CD is called A Thousand Miles Long.

Randi,my husband bow hunts and I can't even pull his string back. I forget what kind he has but I am not strong enough. I like kilts and especially if they talk with a Scottish or Irish accent I hooked.
I love horses and I really miss riding. I have not rode in ages.

HT,what an interesting word. I want to read your stories too.

Hi Neenime, how is your weather?
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2006 06:05
I wonder was it the Jelly Jars that were making Swabby walk the plank?
Then again they might have me walking that plank if I don't resume my
study of Sindarin... :blush:

Regarding Female Priests;
to my knowledge of the Catholics only the Gothic Rite Byzantine Catholics
have Female Clergy above Abbesses.
Though some of the Coptic and Syrian Orthodox have Female Deacons
they do not have Female Priests.
We Goths have our own ideas regarding women...

I have been praying for cooler weather [say below 95*F for the high temp]
for everyone and also for everyones good health...

Sorry to hear about people being stressed... who do I add to the prayer-list under stressed out? PM me with names ok?

Awelyn where do I get that cd?

Elven Rangers in kilts, Where? :drool: :blush:
Sigh, gotta get Silverleaf a new kilt[ his old one is worn out...].

Weekend starts tomorrow! TGIF :cheers:
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2006 08:55
Neenime, thank you...and what a lovely prayer for our children and grandchildren!
Mith, thank you as well and I hope your sister can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Good thing is she has a sister like you. That probably brings her greater joy than you are aware of.
Awelyn your son is doing so well. Perhaps you can put that link back up so our newcomers can listen to your son.
Melian, the violin huh? The violin plays such beautiful soul full sounds. Not to mention learning an instrument opens up parts of the brain that nothing else can. I tried the guitar at my youthful teenage years, but I didnt get very far.
Randi, I managed to find the pic taken in NM. Its lovely. 60?? Your elvenness has graced you with youthful looks. Wow, Swabby was right about the hair (or harr) (we are loving these little Scottish words HT, even if Swabbs changes them)
And Swabby, what would we do if you didnt add laughter to our every day.
Hey, its Friday! Ummm, going to the chippy for lunch today with the work mates. Fish n' chips loaded with vinegar. yum!
I'll take photos tomorrow at the festival.
have a good Friday every one!
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2006 05:03
Happy Friday y'all! I finally found your pictures, Randi, and you look somewhat how I pictured you, except for the long pigtails. I pictured your hair loose and flowing. Oh well, you look very nice and mermaid-like. Just try not to lure me onto any jagged rocks, ok?
I was A naughty old scalawag yesterday and someone tricked me into walking the plank. I wasn't plannin' on A swim so soon after me breakfast. There could've been A cruel ending to it all, but I was picked up by some lady pirates who needed A man to open some jars for 'em and knock A little rust off of some of their fittings. Of course I was only too happy to oblige the nice darlin's for the ride they gave me.

Up to my old pranks, Awelyn? Uh, yeah, I guess so. It's not all my fault though----I've had some encouragement. I'm trying to behave, but it's just so hard!
Will we be able to listen to your son's new album the way we did last time? You and MT are so fortunate to have musician sons who you can brag on. My middle son is trying to go somewhere with his music, so I may be able to join your club one day. Heck, I'd be playing some saloons myself if I could teach this danged parrot to sing some decent songs! (He likes to slip in too many "colorful" words. His version of "Blow the man down" is absolutely x-rated)

I wish you luck with the violin, Melian. I picked one up A couple of times but all I could do was make A terrible screeching sound.

Mith, you are A very wise and competent lady, so I know you will handle the situation with your sister well.

Alright, now who would look the sexiest in A kilt, Hugh Jackman, Clive Owen or the Viggo-man?

Have A great weekend all you hotties! Swabby

Oh, calle, I'm just wild about fish and chips with lots of malt vinegar all over it! Do they still use cod there? I heard it was getting in short supply.

[Edited on 4/8/2006 by swabby]
awelyn418
Send Message
on: August 04, 2006 07:04
Cat you can buy it here brian_holbrook.com You can also listen to some of his songs there. I am very proud of him but what is more important this has always been his dream. I did not encourage him when he was a teenager. He wanted to be a rock star and all I saw was drugs and the debauchery of my son. I should have encouraged him. He always said he did not feel I was behind him 100% and he felt betrayed. I also knew he was not good enough and would have been hurt. I know I should have let him find things out for himself. Well, I am behind him 100% now. His songs are not rock but folk,country and alternative mixed in. Sorry to run on but I am his mom. It is important for him but bittersweet for me because he will not live much past 50 and I want him to have as much of that dream as possible. So give him a listen.

Do you see how supportive we are all of each other. Cat we have had a break in this heat wave and even a little rain. I am so glad . I love to swim but not if the water is so hot it is not refreshing.

Swabby, I would not say you are old,but maybe naughty scalawag
fits you sometimes. Happy Friday to you.

I really miss OTB , Mag,Balrog,Rose Brandywine,Belle and . Belle might be busy with the gallery though.

Calle I love Fish and chips. I love the Geico commercial where the little gecko talks about fish and chips. You have fun tomorrow.

I have never taken a single lesson in Elvish. I would like to learn though. What do my fellow FOFERS suggest.
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2006 08:21
Hi everyone,

Mith for you and all the other kiltophiles out there here is a short story about our favourite man.

King Elessar looked doubtfully at the gift brought by an ambassador from the far north.

“Are you sure it’s supposed to be worn by a male?” he asked the man.

“Oh yes sire!” the emissary assured him. “All the men in my land wear this garment on festive occasions.”

Later in the privacy of his own apartments with the written instructions and a little help from a smirking Legolas, the King of Gondor donned the brightly coloured and chequered ‘skirt’.

He was checking his appearance in the mirror when Arwen came in.

“Legolas,” she said sweetly, “I need to discuss something with my husband in private, would you please leave us?”

…………….
Later that day a rather dazed Aragorn began to understand why the men from the North always seemed tired but happy.

Sorry it had to mention Arwen but I am not sure they would want slash on this site.

Swabby I am surprised you have to ask what man looks best in a kilt to quote from highlander "there can be only one" and we all know who he is don't we girls?"

Have a good weekend everyone.

Love and hugs

HT:heart:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2006 05:07
Oh, Heri! Too funny kilt story! And
kiltophile
is a grand new word!

Ahhh family dynamics , eh, Mith? Gotta love 'em. Here we are on the eve of our big anniversary ce;ebration and hubby is in a snit about an inconvenience from a habitually late relative. Gotta love it. Someone ALWAYS starts something before these things. Hopefully it will blow over by morning and we'll be all smiles and sweetness for our guests. Come to think of it, his mother was in a snit before the other family get-together. Must run in the family........

Awelyn 'tis a fine line we parents tread between letting our young ones explore for themsleves and holding them back from what seems like certain danger. I hope that your son will understand that your intenton was loving, not selfish and that your backing now is what matters. " That was then, and this is now.", I tell my clients.

Vicarcat you're making me wish I were a Gothic-Byzantine Catholic. Totally awesome. I know that there are break-away groups that have ordained women priests and bishops, but they get ex-communicated right smartly, once Il Papa gets wind of them. The Ukrainian- and Greek-Byzantine contingent have married clergy, but the Vatican has been pressuring them to stop that for decades, if not centuries. Well, it's too late for me, but you rock on, Woman!

OK, off to collect #3 son form late shift at Safeway and then off to get my beauty sleep for the big day. Goodness, still have to re-do the toe-nail polish, put on finger-nail polish, polish swords (er, no, not for this gathering, only if hubby stays in Snitsville. Just kidding! I can appreciate where he's coming from and we'll make nice shortly)

Nighty-night :yawn:

Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2006 05:13
Hey dol! merry dol! and welcome to new members of the FoF! :wave:

Just poppin' in after getting a prodding from a little birdie who whispered in my ear that I'm overdue for a visit.

So cockle-doodle doo to you!

Old Tom and his pretty lady went for a drive through the California gold country up to Calaveras Big Tree State Park last Saturday. We left shortly after 8 AM before it got too hot and before too many cars were on the road. Truthfully, driving out to Calaveras County is nothing like driving to the San Francisco Bay Area...and that's a good thing.

We drove through the oak woodlands of the valley and foothills until we reached the Stanislaus National Forest, a mixed conifer forest consisting of pines, cedars, and, of course, the Giant Sequoia, along with the smaller dogwood and hazelnut trees. It is beautiful and oh what a smell! Enjoyed all the much more in my two-seat convertible Hondel del sol.

When we reached Big Tree we checked out the visitors' center before going on a 1.5 mile leisurely hike through the North Grove. I imagined that if we went off the trail a bit--a definite no-no--we'd eventually wind up in Rivendell. Yes, it's that kind of place.

Sadly, one of the key sites is a grand tree that had been hewed down by a bunch of addle-brained yahoos back in the mid-19th century. While we were there tourists were climbing up on the great stump to have their picture taken. That's the thing to do, I guess. I couldn't bare to get up on the bones of that once great tree.

I could go on and on about the wonderful experiences we had communing with the great out of doors, but it's time for our weekly Friday night grocery shopping so I better skedaddle.

Auf wiedersehen!

[Edited on 8/5/2006 by Old_Tom_Bombadil]
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2006 06:08
Hannon le, Randi, Awelyn, Cat, Calle and Swabby for your kind words and support regarding my sister. :heart: :hug:

Mith for you and all the other kiltophiles out there here is a short story about our favourite man.

Now that sounds like an ideal location for this shield maiden. :heart: :naughty: HT, I loved this short story, thank you!! That was a fitting quote from the Highlander. I remember watching it long ago and liking the kilt thing but the person wearing it just wasn't quite right. Now I understand why.

Neenime, hope all is clear and everyone is smiling by morning. So often family members seem to misunderstand one another instead of just loving, forgiving and not assuming we know what the other person is feeling. Not easy either when the one closest to us....(hmmm, now who could that be?) is well, let's say out of sorts. Sending prayers and happy thoughts your way.

A beautiful park, OTB. Great to hear from you.

Today was a perfect day by the lake. Blue skies and sunny, low 80's and a nice breeze off the lake. Trying to enjoy it before we leave in a couple weeks for a job. But not thinking about that any more than necessary for the moment!

Trying to get through Les Misérables. Always wanted to read it and finally tackled the 1463 pages. Only 400 or so to go. Long, but definitely a worthwhile read.

Have a great weekend, everyone! :hug: :heart::love:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2006 06:33
Love the Aragorn/kilt story, HT, even if what's-her-name was mentioned. We know that "there can be only one" who wears the sexiest in a kilt title, don't we Mith, sindy, neenime and HT! It's the Great Dane, the Delicious Dunedain, Ara-baby, the V-man-no question!!:heart::love:

I hope that you have a great celebration, neenime and all the trivial family annoyances can be laid aside. Enjoy the interesting folk that are your family.

Hey swabby, maybe you can teach that parrot of yours a few songs so that you two can work at Bilge water Bob's tavern at the renaissance festival. Hear that he has an opening. Let me know if you need an assistant, as I'm looking for some interesting work to do as well.

Have a blast at the Robin Hood festival, calle!!

Glad to hear from you OTB. Knew that you and your fair lady were enjoying yourselves in some wonderful way. That state park looked magnificent. It's so regenerating to spend time "out in the wild"...even if you're not with a ranger.

I know what you mean about supporting your son in his music career, awelyn. It's a very difficult thing to do. You did what you thought was best and it seems that his dream is coming true. My son has that same dream, but I think that music will always be his passion but not his career. He's smart enough to know that architecture pays the bills much better than cd sales or public appearances-at least so far. I pray that your son becomes what God has planned him to be. He will truly find fullfillment when that happens.

Am having a "share the vacation pictures"/birthday party for my sister-in-law tomorrow. The in-laws, son and his fiancee and maybe some "outlaws" will be there. Gifting the birthday gal with a Bilbo's restaurant t-shirt (she's a LOTR fan) and a foam sword I picked up at the toy store today (along with a Treebeard action figure). Now she'll be a shieldmaiden like me!! Well, actually no one can be like me, but at least I can have someone to do a little swordplay with.

MT
<< First1112131415Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email