Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Post Fans Over Forty ~ Part VII
on: June 02, 2006 11:15
Yay! We've hit the magic number again, my friends. Time for a new thread. Hopefully things will be improving for a number of us as it seems summer is bringing plenty of stress for more than one of the FoF.

So post away and let us again remember our love for the Professor and the world he created. :love:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans Over Forty ~ Part VII
on: June 02, 2006 11:53
Thanks for the new thread, Belle! :heart: Love for Tolkien, Middle earth and its inhabitants (especially rangers) help us make it through the stressful times.

Thanks to you fantastic FoF friends for the anniversary wishes. I think that most folks that know hubby and I are astounded that we've remained together for so long. It just so happens that things are better now than they've ever been (Thank you, Lord!). As I've said, I'm blessed.

Bless you, scots, for having to deal with 7th graders all day long! You have to be special to deal with "those kind of folks." I know you will do a good job. Remember what you've done in your life so far. Everything's been preparation.

I'm a dragon lover too, neenime and Rose. Like Tolkien, I choose to believe that dragons did at one time live, or at least they should have.

I don't like copperheads, moccasins or any type of snake, swabby. They give me the creeps! When we first moved into our present home there were pecan trees very close to the house, one with a good-sized hole in it. One afternoon we watched a very long rat snake climb the tree (yuuckk!) and go into the hole. I imagined it slithering across the roof and down the chimney into the house. Horrors!! A few weeks later, we say a tangled mass of snakes in that hole, apparently having a snake orgy. :twitch: Didn't sleep well for days and days. I'm so glad that tree had to be cut down!!
I do have a pic with the Wonder Woman goggles, swabby. The water bazooka isn't included, though. I would re-stage it, but I think I gave the Wonder Woman goggles away to a 4 year-old. May have to buy more.

May have talked Mith into going to the Michigan Moot . Ara-baby has no idea what he's in for.:heart::love: :naughty: :twitch:

MT
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2006 01:55
Oh there are times I wished I lived further east and this is one of them...
I've heard talk of that moot and all of it good!

Ah well I've the starlight parade tomorow night to enjoy..

Swabby you could always get a pedomiter to wear around the house and
see how many miles you do in housework.
On the Eowyn challenge there is a spot for posting miles and it does
include housework...
Hmm I should get one for Silverleaf then he could post his miles...

The presentation in German went well this morning all that is left now
is studying for the final...

Will post more later... :cheers:

[Edited on 3/6/2006 by vicarcat]
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2006 03:58
Thanks for the new thread, Belle. :love: I was also born in the year of the dragon and love dragons. But the nice ones, like in the movie, Dragonheart. Makes me think now of Rose...good to see you back, you have been missed.

Bedbugs and such, yuck!! Fortunately, have not had any personal dealings with them. Was bad enough when my daughter caught head lice when she was in pre-school. Didn't catch them but my head was itchy for weeks just thinking about it.

A starlight parade sounds really cool, Vicarcat. Would love to see that.

Where is the Eowyn challenge? Mother-in-law bought me a pedometer for Christmas...put on lots of miles just doing housework and not sitting still for long.

Looks like I'm going to the Michigan moot after all. I'm so excited and can't wait to meet my fellow shield maiden and ranger lover, MT! And for the opportunity to meet Ara-baby :drool: :heart: in person. He will be one busy and popular guy for sure. :disco: :rolling: :rolling:

LOL at the bug bomb experiments, Swabby. By the way, is the offer still good if I snap a photo of MT without the Wonder Woman goggles?

Wishes for a great weekend to all!! :wave: :heart: :hug:

scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2006 04:19
If a ragnarök would burn all the slums and gas-works, and shabby garages, and long arc-lit suburbs, it could for me burn all the works of art — and I'd go back to trees..”
J.R.R. Tolkien

I found this quote from Tolkien on a site that has---amazingly enough--quotes. I thought it was appropriate.
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2006 09:21
OK here is the link for the Eowyn Challenge:

http://shieldmaidens.net/mileagedatabase/index.php

I think the link is live but you can copy and paste it into a browser
window and it should work fine...

Still wish I could go to the moot... [someday :wave:]
Lucky are those who go this year!

I also could do with most of the modern world gone and I don't mean
the people gone just the "advanced civilization" that alows us to kill so efficently ect...:evil:

Would love to keep the good things in life like medical technology!

Ah I am dreaming again... :blush:

Happy weekend vacation summer all! :disco: :cheers:

[Edited on 3/6/2006 by vicarcat]
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2006 03:07
If there was something called A "dextometer" and I could attach it to my right wrist, it might show me to be some kind of athlete. All of my drawing, dragging A mouse around, playing guitar, typing, scratching my head and throwing rocks at orcs should really add up.

Snakes don't bother me as long as I can see them, MT. I don't like to get surprised by one, though. Of course there were no video games when I was A kid, so snakes played A prominent roll in my entertainment. I was always smashing them with rocks or (balrog should like this) snapping them like A whip and making their heads fly off. Sometimes I just caught them and played with them A while----then I killed them. I was very cruel to snakes and spiders, but never to other animals. I guess I thought they were vile and evil, so it was ok for me to be their tormentor. Now I know that I wrongly killed A lot of harmless, even usefull snakes.
I also treated rats and mice pretty poorly. There was an old house next door when I was about 15 that had some rocks missing from it's foundation. One summer day I happened to look out the window and saw several large rats playing around near that hole, so, with nothing else to do at that particular time, I decided to see if I could catch rats with my fishing pole. I put A piece of cheese on A hook and cast it out my window so it landed right outside that hole in the rocks. I then closed the bale and stuck the rod's tip out the window and waited. Sure enough I soon had A bite and I reeled in A nice big fat one. My buddies soon learned of the new sport of "rat fishing" at Swabby's house and were there with their fishing poles every day untill we had wiped out the entire rat population underneath the Blagg's house. I guess A true Ranger will seek out and destroy evil where ever he finds it.

By all means, Mith, any kind of pictures of your gathering would be most interesting to see. I hope there are many pictures that can be shared with us folks who would love to have been there.

Swabby, slayer of snakes, spiders, rats, ugly bugs and other assorted evil-appearing things. (except mothers-in-law)
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: June 03, 2006 08:28
I wonder if we are the most active group of people on this site?

Belated Happy Anniversary to MTMS! :cheers:

Balrog, I wonder when the bosses learn that, with all too few employees to take care of things, everything will go to the dogs? :angry: Hope the situaton improves soon.

In the last couple of days, I've had a couple of proud mommy moments. First, my younger daughter's class performed a song in their end-of-term celebration, and my daughter sang the solo parts. For a normal teenager, that would be nothing - but, this girl is autistic, and has problems with speech production. And, the older one got an award for propagating environmentally friendly actions at her school.

Tomorrow morning, I can sleep late...

Have a nice weekend, everybody! :hug:
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2006 06:29
Hi everyone.

Yeehaw!!!!!!! :disco: :cheers: :rolling: Wwe have posted another thread. Cheers to everyone. Thanks Bellefor the new thread.

Well, things at work have gone from bad to worse. But enough said. This is a happy time for a new thread.

Seems like everyone is having fun. Loved the poem on Rose, swabby. But for Rose to post twice in one day, that's a record.

We're having rain right now. It got to 33C with the humidex. I don't know what this is in F but it was definitely hot.

My day off tomorrow so I will be with my RP writing cohorts and having a grand time. My way of escaping reality. I will live in Tolkien's world tomorrow. I love his world. I can relax, enjoy life with my characters and live in Middle Earth all at once. So I would like to thank J. R. R. Tolkienfor creating this world and letting all of us escape this world. It gives me peace in my soul and in my mind. I would like to thank my roommate for making me explore this new world.

Well, I am ready for bed. I have had a tough week and hope it peters out next week.

All of you have a great weekend.

Namárië

[Edited on 4/6/2006 by balrog]
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2006 10:53
Sigh, I had to work this evening so I only got to see the last 45 minutes of the Starlight Parade... and in my rush to get out I forgot both stool and camera...
I will look for photos of the parade in the papers... as what I saw was nice
and the floats were all worthy of a photo shoot!

It was raining but the kids in the bands oh how they strutted and I was at
the end of the parade too...
All the bands were good but my favorits was the Pirates, two of which were
over 70 and got stuck behind the float following the main bands of pirates!
Which is proof that old pirates never die they just find a port in the storm
and drop anchor...:heart: They were a most lovely pair!
OK I'll admit I think Pirates are just Rangers at Sea... which allows me to
combign two of my favorite obsessions, Rangers and Ships at Sea!

Morwinyoniel, your daughter sings the solo parts WOW! I've sang solo parts and they take skill and talent even for normal people and she is doing this with Autism WOW like Virtuoso! And her sister got an award for propegating environmentaly friendly actions at school. Another WOW!
Hey can you send your girls to PSU when they choose a college?
We could really use them here! I know I'm dreaming again...

I hope sunday is sunny so I can do gardening... :wave:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2006 03:04
Congratulations on your daughter's achievements, Morwin. I know you must be very proud of them.

I regret that I wasn't there for my two oldest son's when they were in school. I never saw either of them recieve an award or graduate or anything. Deployments overseas and then divorce kept us seperated by hundreds or thousands of miles, plus I didn't realize the importance of "being there for them" at the time. Thank God I got A second chance with my youngest son. A much older Swabby, no longer in the Navy and with clipped wings (in the form of heart disease) has been there for his 14yo son from the very beginning and for absolutely everything. Some have said that "youth is wasted on the young", and that is definately true in my case. I truly believe that bad parents have children who grow up to be bad parents and so on and so on, untill something happens that breaks the trend, such as it has with me. Thirty years ago I would probably have gotten A "D" on my parenting report card, but now I think I would get an "A".

You're too tough for them to get you down, balrog. Just keep those shoulders back and your chin high----you'll be fine.

Happy Sunday! Swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2006 06:48
Image *peers out of cave*

Thank you for the lovely poem swabby. :hug:

So we are on yet another thread. Whoo Hoo!!

Congratulations to your daughter, Morwin. You must be a proud Mum.

Balrog: I certainly hope work gets better for you. :hug:

Vicarcat: Would love to see pics of the parade. Hope you manage to find some.

Snakes: Eeeuuuww! swabby. Poor snakes, mind you we had little boys in the UK who would pull wings of flies and crane flies (Daddylonglegs) *shudder* Hate Daddylonglegs. But boys will be boys. Lol!!

Well, we only have two kinds of snakes in the UK... the grass snake ... a harmless little chap and the Viper or Adder .... poisonous, but not deadly ... I think! I saw one in the wild once, a beautiful little creature, but then I like snakes and spiders and sharks, not that I would necessarily like to be up close and personal with snakes and sharks, but they are beautiful. Lol!!

By the way, CoE has a thread for Éowyn's Challenge in the Many Meetings Forum. Here you can join in with other members of CoE and register as part of the CoE walkers. Here is the link to the thread. ........

Éowyn's Challenge Thread

I am almost at Rivendell.

I am going to see The Da Vinci Code film tomorrow night. I have read the book and am interested to see how it will come across on celluloid. I also read Angels and Demons, which was a much more excitng and interesting book.

Enjoy the rest of your weekends, everyone. :hug:

Rose/Drac.... oh and thank you Mith for thinking of me in context with Dragonheart.... what a beautiful story and film that was. Yes....I cried. :rolleyes:

[Edited on 4/6/2006 by Rosearialelven]
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2006 07:08
Has been a bit cooler here but comfortable weather. Yesterday there were hundreds of boats on the water as they were having a fishing tournament. That's what happens when you live near the Walleye capital.

Thanks for the Eowyn Challenge link, Vicarcat. It is a really cool site and good motivation to keep moving. Now to start walking.... Hope to see some links to photos or articles about the starlight parade.

What an amazing and wonderful accomplishment for your daughter, Morwin! Singing in front of people is not an easy thing for anyone. Anyways, you certainly have a right to be proud of both daughters!

Hope things ease up for you at work, Balrog. And I, too, am so thankful we have Tolkien's world for an escape when the stress in this modern world takes over.

Swabby, think we all have slipped on a few banana peels along the way. There are many things I would have done differently but yet don't really want to relive those times. And I suppose all those experiences made us who we are now, hopefully older and wiser.

Finished The Hobbit (once again, lol) and now reading FOTR. Always so look forward to reading LOTR, just love getting lost in those books. :heart: :hug: :love:
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2006 08:14
Well I found a few photos of the starlight parade at the link below...

http://www.oregonlive.com/rosefest/photos/

They don't have all the photos up yet but give them a few days and more will
be up. They also have archives of older parade photos too...

I am at mile 124 not to the Prancing Pony yet but give me a few days and
I'll have a pint there... 'am as always ploding my way towards Rivendell.

Dead Week at PSU starts tomorrow so if I sound dragged out on my next
few posts please forgive me... :twitch:

Rose Parade is next saturday :disco: Will have my camera with me for sure!

Does anyone here carve walking sticks, or am I the only one?
I put up a post under creations about hand carved walking sticks but no
responses yet...
Anyone here have ideas for elven staves?
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2006 03:05
I thought the cool English weather would be too inhospitable for cold-blooded reptiles, Rose. It seems that your two snake varieties should only get frisky enough to come out and slither around during especially warm weather. Is that the case? All of our snakes here in Arkansas den up for the winter, but can sometimes be spotted coming out for some sun on increasingly warm winter days. We have A lot of different kinds of snake species here, but only A few are poisonous---water moccasins,(more than one variety) copperheads, rattlesnakes and, although I've never seen one, coral snakes. There may be others, but that's all I'm aware of.

That's A great way to describe our life mistakes, Mith. "Slipping on banana peels". I like that. I have referred to those things as "bumps in the road", but slipping on A banana peel seems potentially more serious.
We have A few walleye around here too, Mith. They're not indiginous but they're doing well in one lake that I know of, and they're supposed to be some in the Arkansas River. I used to fish quite A bit, but don't do it much anymore. The very best fishing I've ever seen was in Alaska. I caught A LOT of fish up there.

We went and saw the new "X-Men" movie yesterday. It was pretty good, but seemed more "comic book-like" than the previous movies. Of course Ian and Jean-Luc (I still call him that) were there and the handsome hunk Hughe Jackman as "Wolverine".

I guess MT is about to commence her journey to the north, where she will join up with some others and no doubt have the time of her life. I am envious, for sure, but I'll have to just be happy for her and wish her A safe trip. May you have smooth sailing, gentle seas and an awesome time with Mith and the others, MT my friend. Most of all, though, may you return safely to your Alabama home. Swabby

Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2006 03:35
Oh, what a shame Vicarcat. You have to register, I think, to see that site. I am in the UK and have no zip code and I am a bit wary of registering with sites. I am sure the parade was lovely. I'll just use my imagination.

Swabby: No, we do have our two national snakes and there are plenty of two-legged cold-blooded reptiles too. .... I'll let you into a little secret, our snakes wear fur coats and mufflers. *giggles* I'll try and find a pic of one.

Mith: 'slipping on banana peels' ... oh boy have I slipped on those in my life. A whole crateful probably, and I agree with swabby, a very good expression.

Weatherwise, it was a very hot Saturday, and a pleasant Sunday, but it's dull again and cloudy today. *sigh*.

I had to laugh today, at work ... yes, I do laugh sometimes at work ... anyhooo, one of the bosses said it was warm and were the radiators on, the other boss said 'no' unless someone had sneaked and turned them on ... I know for a fact he was referring to me. I corrected him, quietly and ladylike that I do not sneak.....*Sneak!!! Sneak!!!* I sounded like Gollum. Lol!! Ok, so you had to be there. :twitch:

*dashes off with the sound of the Orc Alarm sounding in her ears* That pile of typing is just not getting any lessssss. Waaahhhh!!!

:wave: Byeeeeee HUGE HUGS
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2006 06:22
What a deep joy you must have felt, morwin in your daughters' performances. Those moments make it all worth while.

Hang in there, balrog. Hoping that things will calm down a bit, or that you can "rise above" the calamities at work and return home each evening "unscathed."

Saw the DaVinci Code this weekend, Rose. I enjoyed it, but had read the book and knew the story. Hubby had no background knowledge and said it was a bit hard to follow. I loved hearing that beautiful french language and seeing the wonderful streets and sites of Paris and France.:heart: I am ready to go back!

Don't know anyone who carves walking sticks or canes, vicarcat, but always see marvelous ones at our local arts and crafts festival in the spring. Several renaissance festivals that I frequent also have them.

Appreciate the kind thoughts on my trip, swabby. I am finishing up preparations. Took a pic of Ara-baby waiting to load up in the car. Had to tell him that we're leaving Thursday, not today. He's very excited about going. I don't let him out much.

Received a dvd of movies my son has taken of the grandkids from Oct. to March. Saw Sammy's 2nd birthday, Joseph's school program, Christmas with Eleanor, scenes of dancing Sammy (that boy's a hoot!), Eleanor trying to talk and lots of other precious moments. At the end, son made a slide show with wonderful pics and a touching song. Had me in tears. Can't wait to see those wonderful children and hug my own wonderful son.:love:

Thining of you all, even if I dont' mention each by name. You are all in my heart.:heart:

MT
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: June 05, 2006 10:45
Oh here you are I was looking for you on the old thread.

I have a snake story. Today I was outside in my back yard and one of my bassets were barking at something. She would swoop down and bite at something and jump back. I thought it was a bee and I saw it was a snake. I went running to the garage to get a hoe yelling to my husband that our dog was bitten by a snake. Bless his heart he struggled outside just as I got to the snake as I was lifting the shovel to kill him my husband said stop it is a grass snake. Jeff Corwin would have been angry with me. I scooped the snake up and put him in my neighbors yard who does not have dogs.

I am exhausted taking care of my husband after his surgery is harder than I thought.

Morwin what an accomplishment for both of your daughters I know you are proud.

Swabby, I loved your poem as always.

MTMS,and Mith I am so envious. MTMS, you just swing by and pick me up. Have fun girls and I want details.

Balrog, I am sorry if things are so bad there is no way but up hang in there.
Vicarcat I am going to the challenge and get that fixed. Have a good week.

Neenime hello and thanks Belle for the new thread. You take such good care of us. Hey,Calle are you vacation and hello Mag and OTB. Rose it is so good to see you back and I loved the peeking out of the cave.
If I have left anyone please forgive me and chalk it up to exhaustion.

I am going and go relax in my pool.

Edited by Belle to change "snack" to "snake" - one mean meal there, awelyn! LOL

[Edited on 6/5/2006 by BelleBayard]
awelyn418
Send Message
on: June 05, 2006 10:48
Actually she was bitten by a snake not a snack. :blush: Boy am I tired
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2006 01:37
Rose here is a link to the starlight parade. It only has two photos but you don't have to register... :hug:
Maybe it will help your imagination as it does have lists of the bands and floats...

http://www.rosefestival.org/events/starlightparade/

:wave:
morwenna
News Admin and Taste Tester for LHH
Send Message
on: June 05, 2006 01:51
Apologies for my lack of posting but real life has been so busy so at work and home.

It’s nice to see that this thread is still going strong and with some new members too. I wonder if are we the busiest thread in the forum?

One of the reasons for my absence is that I’m in the process of moving house sorting through 18 years of things. Numerous bags of clothes have been dispatched to charity shops and jumble sales. Mainly clothes that my alter ego appears to have bought in a moment or three of madness . Can’t bear to part with the original 70’s clothes I’ve kept though I don’t think I’ll ever wear a fringed waistcoat again! Seem to recall a discussion about the clothes used to wear a few threads back.

The biggest sorting out I have to do is my books. There are 10 boxes in the loft, 4 in the spare room and 5 full to bursting bookcases in the house, not to mention the books in the bedroom and bathroom. Naturally nothing Tolkien related will be parted with but I’m not so sure about the Peanuts lunch bag cook book!

Daddylonglegs – I have a real fear of them Rose, thankfully they are only around for a few weeks a year. I’ve seen a couple of adders in the South of England during hot summers but none up here in the North.

Congratulations to your daughters on their achievements Morwin. I only sing in the privacy of my car! Sorry to hear of your work difficulties Balrog and Belle

Finally, greetings to one and all, hopefully from now on I’ll post more often
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2006 02:12
Thanks for the link, Vicarcat. Only two pics, but yes they helped my imagination. *holds hand to ear..* I can almost hear the marching bands.

It's good to be back awelyn, thanks.

MT: The DV Code film was wonderful. I had read the book also, and went to watch the film with a little trepidation as I thought it might not do it justice, but I was blown away. Wow!!! Funny you should say that you hubby was confused some, as that was my thought for those people who haven't read the book. There were considerable chunks missed out in the film which would leave the unitiated thinking....what!!

Hi Morwenna :love: I think adders do frequent the southern part of the UK more than the North, but my encounter with the snake was in the Lake District, and it was a particularly hot summer, when I was a child. Why don't we have summers like that anymore. :cry:

Are you moving away from Manchester, or just to another area of our lovely City?

Well, bed calls. :yawn:

Hugs to all. Bye for now.

swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2006 02:56
You have bipedal reptiles in England, Rose? Oh yes, I believe my distant cousin Charles Dickens wrote about some of those. We have them here as well. Even when they disguise themselves as human, you can still recognize them by how they vote.

What kind of floor coverings do dinosaurs prefer? Rep-tiles.

Awelyn, if I was surviving in the wilderness, all snakes would be snacks to me except for the very large ones, and they would be dinner. Snake on A stick--mmmm, tastes jes' like chicken ya know.

I hope Ara-baby survives another trip, MT. How do get all that lipstick off of him? I'd be glad to stand in for him, really.

Daddy longlegs aren't harmful! You can pick them up and let them crawl around on you, no problem. They aren't even real spiders----they've got too many legs. The ones I watch out for are the brown recluse and the black widow.
I don't like preying mantises, even though they are harmless to humans. People used to say they could spit in your eye and blind you, but I don't think they can. The fact that the females like to gnaw their sex-partner's head off is enough to send me running. Not nice! Ahrrrrg! Swabby
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2006 02:56
We have insects that I call "daddylonglegs" down here in the southern US, Rose. As a child, I would play with them and let them crawl on me, as they didn't bite and actually tickled when they'd walk on your arm. They don't look too spidery to me, so I didn't have a problem with them at all. (Boy, do I feel brave and fearless!)

Great seeing you again Morwenna! You have a big job ahead of you. I dislike packing, clearing out closets and the like. How do we ever accumulate so much stuff? Guess it was your alter ego. I had a similar person in my life, know as my evil twin.:evil: She disappeared somehow, but folks tell me that now I am a little like she was.

Awelyn, be careful! I wouldn't want you to bite a snake instead of a snack. I guess that running the Houses of Healing has you worn out. Wish I could wisk you away with Ara-baby, mith and me.

Do they have "throws" at your parades, vicarcat? We Mardi Gras folks turn any type of parade into one with "throws". Curiosity has me asking.

Missing your wisdom and humor, Old Tom. Hope you're well.

Praying for the snakes in Arkansas and hoping that swabby doesn't get bitten by a snack.

Greetings to HT, Calle and Morwin.

Keep the home fires burning, balrog !:evil:

Enjoy these wonderful days of freedom scots, sindy and brandywine.

Many thanks for the e-card, neenime. I appreciate you kind thoughts. :hug:

MT

[Edited on 6/6/2006 by MinasTirithMS]
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2006 03:34
I have two snake stories. Now you have to understand that snakes are not my favorite animal.

Anyway, one night the spousal unit, our son, and I set out to the country to my little school to look at a meteor shower. Being in the country not town, would enable us to see it better. WRONG. The yard light bleached the night sky. Anyway....I digress.

I happened to look at the door that leads down to my room--a.k.a. the fire escape--and noticed that it wasn't completely closed. Ashley had taken the trash out to the burn barrel and didn't get the door closed completely behind her. So I went over, opened it, put my hand on the knob to check that the little lock button was on and put my hand on something that was on the knob, soft, dry, and slightly warm which immediately wrapped itself around my wrist and upper arm. *shivering as I write this...throat constricting) Now, in the flash of an instant I thought...Snake...probably a garter snake, small bull snake, maybe a rat snake...not poisonous, life not in danger. Then the old limbic system kicked in and I lost total control. I think I made it to the center of the drive (about 50 feet away) in three steps screaming unintelligibly SNAKE! SNAKE! and hopping around like a a lunatic. I'm sure you get the picture. The spousal unit and our son ran to the door and pulled out what turned out to be a garter snake, hanging limply. The door had evidently shut on its head when I let go. The poor little thing was dead. *GOOD!* I thought to myself. Not really. I do admire snakes...from a long distance. This incident happened about 9 years ago and it's still as clear as if it happened last night. *shudder*

The second snake story happened at my school as well. At that time there was no air conditioning in the building, so we had to open all the windows wide to coax at least some air flow through. After lunch I was at my desk reading to the kids, and they were shuffling around whispering and muttering. I looked up from my book and told them that I thought it was rude of them to talk while I was reading to them. Then Andrea said, "But Mrs. U. there's a SNAKE coming in through the window!" I looked over my shoulder, and sure enough, right above my head about a foot away was most of the body of a bull snake! It was extended out in midair looking evidently for a place to crawl on to. Man those things are strong to be able to do that. Well, again I was out of my seat in a shot and across the classroom in a nanosecond along with several inappropriate adjectives floating in the air behind me. It then dropped to the floor (my classroom is/was in the basement of the school) and my brave boys caught it and took it outside to release it. The screens got fixed that very afternoon after an almost hysterical teacher called one of the board members pleading for them to be fixed...NOW! LOL

Those are some of the fond memories that I will take with me as our school district is dissolved on the 15th of this month. I feel truly grateful that I was able to spend those years with such wonderful people. I feel blessed.
awelyn418
Send Message
on: June 06, 2006 05:52
Oh my gosh Scots I would have wet my self. I am sorry I could not help myself I laughed at both stories you are a great story teller. I know you will take so many fond memories of your life in your little school. Are you having a closing ceremony?

Swabby, I would have to be starving to eat snake. My husband told me I could not tell the difference in venison or beef but I can and I don't like it. I was bitten once by a brown recluse I had to take antibiotics and steroid pills. I had done research on the computer before I went to the doctor and I put meat tenderizer
on the bite 4 hours before my appointment and I really think it helped. My doctor did not agree but that is what you put on a jelly fish sting or vinegar. So, I don't like them spiders.

MTMS, I like those to and still rescue them when I can do you know they eat pesky insects? Oh, I wish I could come with you and Mith what a treat . We would have so much fun. Oh well that is life. I am having a struggle with everything but it is getting easier.

Morwenna, I hate moving. Oh you do have the books. I hope you have plenty of help. I would not get rid of the 70's clothes as clothing history repeats itself. Good luck.

Rose it is just wonderful to read your posts again. Oh, I have missed you.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2006 06:54
HI everyone. I see that we're still going strong. That's wonderful!

Great snake stories. We would have a grand old time around a firepit, exchanging tales of deeds past and imagined. I hate bugs, but would p[rpbably react like Scots to snakes as well.

Balrog sorry that things are still not going well. Heat and humidity certainly do not help!

BTW here is a place where you can do temperature conversions on- line.

Morwenna and vicarcat have their hands full, what with moving and studying. Keep up your spirits, ladies.

I had an opportunity to dance again yesterday. Hadn't done much, for about the last month , as I was in the background for our recital. Oh, Lordy it felt good to move my body again. It was a nice, slow, lyrical piece to a song one of our members wrote. She's an awesome musician, as well as a dancer.

That's one of the things that I love about dancing - the feeling of luxuriating in movement and grace. Better than drugs! And few side-effects (of the odd strained muscle or presssing on a corn).

My mom had surgery yesterday to some bone poking into the burst blood vessel she'd had in February. She's resting comfortably at home. Siblings and I are taking turns helping out. It's a blessing, no matter what I may about our dysfunctional clan..

Leaving for vacation in a few days. Excitement starting to build. Won't be seeing LOTR again as hubby and son and I decided to hit the Shakespearean Festival in Stratford. We'll be seeing Corialoanus . Haven;t ever read it, so that will be a chalenge. Maybe I can scare up a copy at the used bookstore.

Well, off to work again. Have a good day, all.

Oh, and swabby, dear thanks for the offer to meet your slithery friends but...uh....I'll pass.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2006 08:29
Thankyou for your well-wishes, MT, and I hope no snacks try to bite you either. If you see any pudding cups or copper kettle candies about to chomp down on you, I want you to bite them first!

Of course I was only kidding Neenime about visiting me here in the hot, humid, bug and snack-infested south. A fine lady like you from the great frozen north would probably think you'd died and gone to hillbilly hell if I took you out into the sticks for some fishin' or frog giggin'. Even I'm reluctant to do that anymore. You really have to grow up with all of that in order to enjoy it, I think. Swabby
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2006 09:13
Well, swabby fishing in bug-infested swamps is actually a favourite pasttime for most folks in my part of the country. In fact, it's close to being a religious ritual! I was never big on fishing. More of a bookworm, myself, though in my middle years I really appreciate hiking or just spending time in Nature, away from it all.

I knew you was just joshin'.

Thanks anyway.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2006 02:44
MS don't know what you mean by "throws"... what we cal throws here are car blankets that you can throw in the washer and dryer and they come out like new.
If your talking about the folks in the floats who toss out candy then yes we have them, and also some who toss our flowers too. We sometimes have folks who give out cupons for free restaurant food and drink but not every year...

I've never seen Mardi Gras would love to look at photos if you have some.

I've class in a bit so I best get going... :wave:

Life is what you make it so create a masterpiece and awe us all!
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2006 06:48
Spiders and snakes...will take the snakes any day, so long as they aren't poisonous. Once removed a garter snake from a hysterical elderly neighbor lady.

Another time a girlfriend, my daughter and myself were spending the night in her camper. There was a rather large snake that crawled in our wood pile which we wanted for the fire. Both girls promptly sat on top of the picnic table while I moved the firewood only to have the snake crawl in where I moved it. I moved it for a second time further away and pinned the snake down with a long stick. It took quite a bit of convincing to talk my friend into holding the stick while I got assistance from nearby campers. It turned out to be non-venomous but wasn't taking any chances!

Spiders....I am deathly afraid of! Had nightmares of giant daddy long-legs as a child. I'm a bit braver now but still resort to spraying them with anything handy such as window cleaner if there is a chance they could fall on me. That is definitely one good thing about having a man around...to get rid of the spiders, lol!

Neenime, hope you have a great vacation. And glad your mom is doing well after the surgery.

Moving...have done way too much of that. Good luck with it all, Vicarcat and Morwenna.

Looks like I won't be able to attend the Moot after all. Will miss meeting MT and Ara-baby :heart: most of all but will be with them in spirit. And won't be able to trade pics for Swabby's secret recipes. :cry:

On the plus side, am really enjoying being home. Hubby is usually laid off during the summer which is about the only time we are home for long. And the perfect time to spend time by the lake, taking in the island views and sunsets and working on my tan.

:wave: :heart::love: :hug: to all!
awelyn418
Send Message
on: June 07, 2006 02:56
Oh, MIth how disappointing I know you wanted to meet MTMS and I know you wanted to go to a moot. You enjoy your lake and make sure you are using a sunscreen. I don't like spiders or snakes.

Vicarcat thanks for all the links and for the photos.Good luck with your classes.

I hate swamps well, that is not exactly a true statement because even swamps have a beauty all their own. I saw a movie as a child about a swamp monster and it scared me so much I had bad dreams for months. I saw the picture as an adult and laughed because it was so cheesy.

Neenime I am glad your mom is doing well. I am also glad you got to dance. I feel that is a therapy in itself. As a child you feel that freedom and you just dance and spin .

Swabby,I went on a swamp tour in La. with my sister who is deathly afraid of insects. We were doing fine until the guide caught a huge grasshopper. I was fascinated but my sister threatened to jump out of the boat if he did not let it out of the boat. He said ma'am we have bigger critters in the water and she said I don't care and so he let the grasshopper jump back onto the swamp grass. It was actually billed as a river tour but it went into the swamp areas.

Have a good day.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2006 03:06
I have known grown men who would jump up and run away at the very mention of the word "snake", so you are A unique gal, Mith, but I think we already knew that. I've never known of A female that would even think about confronting A snake. Even my mother, who was A real out-doorsey-type with many rough edges would scream and run away at the sight of one.
No, snakes don't bother me too much, but I'll tell you about something that does. Some of the best large-mouth bass fishing can be found in ponds that were built for cattle to drink from and cool off in. Consequently, people often have close-encounters with bulls as they trek across the fields on their way to these ponds, and that is something that really scares me. It is no fun at all to suddenly be faced with an angry bull that doesn't want you in his field, and if you've worn your favorite red shirt, you can be extra worried.

Mith, you're not going to see MT? I really had hoped the two of you could have met. I'm dissapointed, but I guess I'll get over it. No tiny banana-juggling blonde, no fountain of youth, and now no pictures of two of my favorite girls together. Is there any reason for me to wake up tomorrow?

It's interesting that Mith used window cleaner to blast insects. It does kill some bugs and slows down others so you can squash them. I think it might be the ammonia that's in it. There was one place I was stationed in the Navy where we had A real serious cricket problem. At certain times of the year tens of thousands of crickets would invade our work spaces. At the time, I worked in A shop where we rebuilt and tested aircraft hydraulic and pneumatic components and we used A solvent called "trichlorethene" for washing off hydraulic leaks and general cleaning of the components. One day A few drops of this solvent fell on the floor next to some crickets and we noticed that they died instantly. I mean, they didn't even wiggle or kick one time. They may have even died before any of it got on them. It was amazing. I suppose you can guess what we did for fun after that. Swabby
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2006 05:11
Mith, Ara-baby is grieved that he won't be seeing you this weekend. :cry: I told him not to cry or he would "hurt" himself. Limp and soggy are words that should never accompany the names of Aragorn or Viggo!!

I soo want to meet you folk face to face. Am considering a "moot" in my part of the world, maybe in early Nov. Veteran's day will make it a long weekend. Mayhaps it will be if any are interested.

Placing the last items in the suitcase, ready to blast off in the am. Will miss each one of you and think of you often. Should return on Tuesday pm. and will "report in" as soon as I can.

Take care, dear FoF friends!

MT
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: June 07, 2006 05:36
I'm still hanging around, although I haven't posted in a few days.

Scots, what snake stories! I'm not awfully afraid of snakes, we've only got one poisonous species here - the viper - but, I definitely wouldn't want to encounter even a harmless colubrid that way!

Mith, sorry to hear that you can't make the moot after all. et: But, I don't believe for a moment that this will be the last moot so, maybe you'll get there next time!

Swabby, I don't wonder that those crickets died; TCE is harmful even to humans if handled carelessly. Soap water is good against most bugs; and, if nothing else helps, I use the good old Raid.

Have a good time, MTMS!

I've spent the last couple of evenings weeding the back yard. Really a nice job, especially under the rose bushes... :rolleyes:

:hug: to all of you FoF:ers! Hope you'll have a nice day!
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email