12345Last >>
Author Topic:
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans Over Forty ~ Part VII
on: June 07, 2006 08:28
Hi everyone

I have never seen a snake in Scotland outside a zoo but what we do have in abundance in the summer is the Scottish midge or midgie. These are small biting bugs that cause great misery for anyone out and about on summer evenings. They are extremely irritating although they do not carry any diseases but the leave you with a very nasty itchy bump if you get bitten. One thing that works for repelling them (and for mosquitoes as well) is Avon skin-so-soft bath or body oil. The highland regiments apparently use it. These kilted soldiers could get bites in some very sensitive places! It worked for me when I was in Cyprus and in Menorca.

I love reading all your posts and hope everyone is coping with the stresses and strains.

Take care my friends

love and hugs

HT:heart:
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2006 10:08
hello everyone! I am still around as well. Just been very busy. I do however have a quick read even when I dont have time to post. Hope everyone with troubles is having a better day today. It's a real shame about you missing the moot Mith. i know I would love to meet the fellow fof ers. Thats a reason I always try to post when I will be attending a Tolkien event, as I would love to meet up with any of you also attending. The way it looks right now, I m going to be going back to the states around Sept. for about six months. My mum is not doing well healthwise. She's alright but not so well that I do fear she may not have that much time left here. She is still in the states with my sister and I really do feel the need to spend more time with her. Its going to be rough but if I dont . I feel I would regret it later.
Anyhoo... I'll be on both sides of the pond for the next while. At least i have a few months to prepare.
The weather has been gorgeous the past week but my hay fever is really battling me. Makes it harder that i so love my walks through fields and woods that I cant stay away from them even if I sneeze my entire way through.
Snakes? ugh! i am not so much afraid of them as I utterly detest them. i am such a lover of the fuzzy and furry creatures of the land that I cant fathom some snake swallowing them. Yes, I know, thats nature and even the others all are either prey or preyors ( you know what I mean). I try not to think about it as it breaks my heart. I dont eat meat myself for that same reason. Sorry for those of you who might like to hunt, but i have never understood that. Seems God made me a tad too sensitive.
on to happier subjects.... Oooh, a midnight dance, sounds fantastic. i love to dance and sing, but cant really do either, so I do it in the privacy of my own home when I am alone.
And bugs...we used to spray them with hairspray when we couldnt find anythig else. At least it stunned an stickied them enough so you had time to through them out of the house.
Hope you are all doing well. Its so nice to be able to keep up with the lives of my friends. I love reading all your posts.
catch up with you later and have a pleasant day!
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2006 02:01
Ara-baby and I are setting off now, out into the wild. We shall return with tales to tell and hopefully pics to show.

Will be thinking of you all and wishing you were alongside us.

:hug:

MT
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: June 08, 2006 02:45
Calle ,it is so good to hear from you. I am so sorry about your mom. I understand your feelings. My mom was sick and I stayed with her and made sacrifices but I don't regret a single one. I was there holding her hand when she left this world. It was a precious moment. So, do what you feel you should do now. Will your kids be coming back to the states? Will you be in Florida?

MTMS, have a great trip and be careful. I swear if my husband had not be sick I would have made arrangements to come..

HT ,oh those bugs sound awful. I am allergic to poison ivy and break out with hives and I swell up like a balloon. I have to go to the doctor and take medicine.

Yesterday my husband and I helped my brother-in-law install his new computer . Talk about technically challenge . They were having trouble installing the printer and they tried over and over and I finally said did you click on add a printer? No, they had not so they did and voila it worked

Morwin,now that is one job I hate,weeding but it is good exercise.
Have a good day everyone.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2006 03:07
May you have A safe trip, free of orc-attacks, bad roadside food and traffic congestion, dear MT. May you have more fun than the law allows and some one captures it all on film so you can share it with us. Wish I could go too but I've got to stay here and guard the house while my 14yo son sleeps 'till noon.

Everyone seems to have something to say about snakes and spiders, huh? Here's A couple more. My brother had gotten out of bed in the middle of the night and went down to his workshop to investigate A noise when, in the dark, he stepped on what he thought was A garden hose with his bare feet. It started moving and you know the rest.
One time the teenage Swabby and some of his wild friends were drinking wine and acting crazy at A very remote swimming hole when they saw A water moccasin swimming across the water. We immediately started throwing rocks at it like A bunch of Hobbits and one of us eventually hit it and it dissappeared. A few minutes later, the snake re-appeared, but it was acting crazy and was swimming around radically. About that time the wine-soaked snake-slayer in me awoke and sprang into action. Shirtless, I picked up A piece of tree limb to use as A club and started wading out into the water. That snake must have thought I was the one who beaned him with the rock because it headed straight for me. Standing in water up to my rib cage with club drawn back, the snake was only inches away when, amid A roar of "Hit "em Sam!", I finally got my momentarily-frozen arm to work and gave him the ol' coup-de-grasse. God, I hope my sleeping 14yo never acts like I did.

Swabby
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2006 03:49
Greetings, friends. I see it's spiders and snakes time at FOF. Ewwwww.

I don't like spiders and snakes,
And that aint what it takes to love me....."

Callë-sorry about your mom. It's a worry not to be able to help those we love, as much as we want. I really feel for people who have elderly parents who are unwell. We are lucky that my mother-in-law is generally well and my parents are both generally healthy. Little episodes are easier to take than ongoing illness and concern.

Mith I'm sorry that your opportuinty didn't work out. A moot would have been a great thing. Do enjoy that lafe therapy!

I just found out something great! :disco: There is Tolkien GAthering in Toronto July 1-4, which is during our vacation time! I am so-o-o-o going to that, even tho' hubby rolled his eyes. I hope to entice eldest son to join me - he would love the sessions on Make Your Own Chain Mail and Middle Earth Battle Strategies. We'll probably manage only one day, but that's better than nothing. John Howe and Ted Masmith will be there, as well as Craig Parker, Kiran Shah and Bruce Hopkins (Gamling). Cooool!
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2006 06:14
MT, have a great time and take photos and report back to us. We'll be waiting for the tails you'll have to tell.
Awelyn and Neenime, thanks for your thoughts. My daughter will jump at the chance to go back to Florida and see old friends. Not sure about son though as school is an issue. Why are things never easy? I cant imagine not seeing my mother again though. My sister says she keeps asking when I am coming to see her.
Awelyn I hope your hubby is on the mend. You are going to be so worn out.
Oh Neenime, how nice. Craig Parker, huh? I love Haldir. It would be great to meet him. Definitely get a photo for us.
Hiya Swabby, Mith, Vicarcat, Belle, Scots, Morwin, Balrog, Rose, OTB. Welcome back Morwenna. Did I leave anyone out?? Do we have an actual list anyway?
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2006 11:00
Well MT and Ara-baby are off on their journey north. I regret not being able to attend but believe everything happens for a reason. And there is always hope...for a future moot when lots of us FOF can meet. So take heart, Swabby, fellow snake slayer!

HT, you really lifted my spirit talking about kilted men, lol! So will dwell on those good thoughts. :drool: :naughty:

Good to see you back, Callë. Sorry to hear about your mom, will keep her in my prayers. Where in Florida will you be staying? (I have some relatives there.) There are many things I don't much care for either such as animals eating others as prey, yet I realize it is all a part of nature. Oh, and the little garter snakes eat nasty bugs, which is why I let them live, except for the one that bit me. Otherwise I have no qualms about killing other snakes.

Awelyn, my thoughts are with you...caring for your hubby and all. That is cool you could offer computer advice...feels good when we can actually comprehend some of this technology. How is your daughter coping with things now?

Neenime, you are so fortunate to be going to the Tolkien gathering. And for the opportunity to see those famous people...of course Craig Parker :heart: would be my choice. Get excited just thinking about you going!

Was reading the part in FOTR about Tom Bombadil today. Made me think of Old Tom here and wonder where he has been...off gathering water lilies for Goldberry, perhaps?

Well time to prepare the evening meal for my ever hungry hobbit hubby. Námarië, for now, my friends! :heart::love: :hug:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2006 04:22
One time the teenage Swabby and some of his wild friends were drinking wine and acting crazy at A very remote swimming hole when they saw A water moccasin swimming across the water. We immediately started throwing rocks at it like A bunch of Hobbits and one of us eventually hit it and it disappeared. A few minutes later, the snake re-appeared, but it was acting crazy and was swimming around radically. About that time the wine-soaked snake-slayer in me awoke and sprang into action. Shirtless, I picked up A piece of tree limb to use as A club and started wading out into the water. That snake must have thought I was the one who beaned him with the rock because it headed straight for me. Standing in water up to my rib cage with club drawn back, the snake was only inches away when, amid A roar of "Hit "em Sam!", I finally got my momentarily-frozen arm to work and gave him the ol' coup-de-grasse.

Reminds me of *another* snake tale. When my spousal unit's parents were still alive, we would take our son and go to the large reservoir/lake that was near to their home. Our son LOVES to fish, and his grandpa was more than willing to take him fishing as much as he wanted. Anyhoo. One evening while we were out in the boat...Scots, spousal unit, son, grandma, grandpa, spousal unit's aunt, spousal unit's uncle...crowded don't you see? Anyhoo. In the southwestern part of the PoG, rattlesnakes are in abundance. And sure enough, there was one swimming RIGHT TOWARD US! Now, considering my experiences with snakes, you can just imagine my reaction. Spousal unit and son were about the only ones who weren't panicking. When it got close enough to the boat, it got smacked with an oar and went under. Darned if the thing didn't come back up and got more aggressive and tried to get into the boat. Smacked again, returned again. It took about five or six hits until the thing was subdued. By that time I was about stroking out. I insisted that I was returned to shore after which everyone else went out to continue fishing. I had had enough fun for one day, thank you very much! *shudder*
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2006 05:04
Oh my, scots not a fun experience! Gives me the wilies, just reading it!

Well the deed is done. Number One Son and I are registered for the Gathering. We'll only manage one day, but it will be worth it! Quite a variety of sessions - making chainmail and costumes.... spirituality...... "Marriage in Middle Earth"...... a son of one of the Inklings....... actors and craftspeople from LOTR and Narnia..... Lord of the Ringos........ Ringers...... Ted Nasmith singing....... discussing the adaptation of LOTR to the stage! Goooooooodness. I'll miss Mithradnir's picnic, complete with fireworks, but we'll be celebrating Canada Day elsewhere.

Will definitely have to pay attention to the photog lessons from hubby and take a few shots for you all. Craig is not my fave heartthrob, but he'll do .

Hmm, have to plan a suitably Middle Earth outfit. Perhaps my long brown dress, worn with the Mallorn Leaf brooch. NOw, does that go wth the Ring of Barahir or Nenya? Decision, decisions.......:dizzy:

“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2006 10:09
Sigh I wish there was a gathering near here [Portland OR]... will have to wait till one comes by. Same goes for the Moots in life...

The one time I came face to face with a snake was in the Mojave by our cabin.
It was a rubber snake an red one. It came up to about ten feet from the cabin and I saw it and pointed in a direction away from the cabin ans shouted Go! and it went the way I pointed really fast... I never saw that snake again.
I did hear a rattle snake near the main road into town but it was more then thirty feet away so I told it to quit rattleing and be quiet because I was going
to town not to it's bush and that rattle snake went all quiet like and I went shopping in town that was in 99.

I haven't seen any snakes in Portland since a baby garter snake jumped out of a shrub at me in 89,
I shreeked and the snake vanished into the street...
All I realy saw was a blur of green, it was the kid behind me on the trike that saw it was a garter snake.

I've one more class tomorrow then two finals on monday then the term is over and I start work to finish all my costuming projects...

Have promised Silverleaf that I will redecorate the studio in Mirkwood style so I've to find more info on that...
If anyone has links to what might be Mirkwood styles please send them my way! :feedback:

Other then that I've got 139 miles on the Eowyn Challenge...
It still seems like 3 miles a day is not good enough, but Swabby set me straight on that account! :blush:

I will post some of my costume pics as soon as I figure out how to put them in the message boxes here at CoE. :dizzy:

I'll check back tomorrow after work and let you know if I spot any Rangers or Elves... :drool:

Hope everybodys weekend is fine! :heart: :love: :cheers:

[Edited on 10/6/2006 by vicarcat]
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2006 11:02
Thanks for the prayers Mith.
I was wondering about old Tom as well. Hmmm. Wonder where he is.
Neenime, your outfit sounds perfect....and your son is still going with you?? Mine absolutely freak out when I dress for the occasion. I settled for just my elven cloak and evenstar necklace when I went to the Tolkien weekend, oh and I got away with taking my middle earth umbrella as it was a bit rainy. . Other than that I just had human jeans and top on. My husband was still nervous until we arrived and he saw costume everywhere.

[url][/url]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f394/calle103/100_1812.jpg

I think I may have attached it. might have to wait for my son to return from school. (yes, they are still in session in the UK).
There is still only so much I can do with a computer.
vicarcat, only one I can find at the moment. Still not very good though. I'll busy myself trying to find more images...but maybe after I take the dogs for their walkies...
http://valarguild.org/varda/Tolkien/encyc/articles/m/Mirkwood/imagesMirkwood.htm

[Edited on 9/6/2006 by callë]
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2006 11:05
oh, forget...if my photo comes up, thats me in front of Tolkiens boyhood home in Birmingham.
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2006 01:11
My goodness, I miss a couple of days and whooosh!! posts galore. Lol!!

Sorry to hear about your mum, calle. Of course you should be there. I spent the last month, travelling backwards and forwards to the hospital every day, before mum passed and don't regret one moment of my time. My thoughts are with you.

Your picture is lovely and aren't you lucky to be stood there, in front of the Professor's boyhood house. Isn't it a lovely house too. Quite shire'ish, isn't it. :love:

Neenime: Firstly, I am happy to hear your mum is doing well. And Secondly!!!! Oh, my, oh, my, *jumps up and down* A gathering and Craig will be there!!!
Craig is not my fave heartthrob, but he'll do .

'but he'll do!!!! ... but he'll do!!!' Rofl, Oh, wow, just wait until you see him, and hopefully meet him. He is such an adorable, adorable person. Yes ... I met him in Manchester at a wonderful, very informal convention, where we just got to mingle with the guests as though they were friends. The best weekend I had spent in a long while.

scots: I loved the snake tales, although I had heard one of them before. *giggles*

MT & Mith: What a shame you wont' meet, but MT is would be great, indeed, to get to meet you all. Alas, I live the other side of the pond, but who knows!!

HT: I know my dad said he used to catch adders and grass snakes when he was young. He came from Beith and lived in Cumnock. But as has been said, I think the weather does have to be warm or hot. .... And Midges... I remember those little blighters. Lol!! Ssssneaky little things. You hardly feel them, then suddenly you have lumps and bumps. Lol!!

Oh, I have a snake story. My granddad was a Sergeant Major in the Black Watch and was stationed in India in the 1920's. He had been having problems with some of the men and decided to make them sit up and take notice, with the aid of a cobra!! Lol!! Apparently, he introduced the snake as a dinner companion .. he threw it into the dining room .... boy did they scatter!!

swabby: I could see the image in my mind. It sounded scary, but I loved the Hobbit reference and how appropriate you should be called Sam!! Glad you came out unscathed and who knows what kids get up to when out of our view. Kids will be kids!!

Weather: It is scorching here at the moment. How long it will last though *shrugs*. It's fine if you can just sit and do nothing, but having to work in it. Yuck!! Lol!! It's making my scales very uncomfortable.

Anyhoo, better fly. Image
The typing is easing ~ a little, but better keep on top of it.

Hugs, hugs and take care, my friends. And extra :wave:s to anyone I didn't mention. :love: *calls Hallooooooo to OTB*

Rosie/Drac xxxxx

swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2006 02:30
Is there some question about the Tolkein gathering in July, Neenime? I was thinking I'd read somewhere that it might not happen, but I certainly hope it does.

That's A terrific picture of Tolkein's boyhood home, calle, but my male eyeballs were distracted by that very attractive lady standing in front.

Mith and HT, I hope you two will contribute A little extra Ranger-lust talk in MT's absence, and I will try to help all I can. What do you suppose Rangers wear when they go swimming? I'll bet they wear nothing at all, just their birthday suits. What do you ladies think?

I'll have to cut this short. I put one of my guitars in the newspaper classifieds and people are already calling about it. I may write more later. Swabby

Alright, I'm back and no one has posted anything yet. I thinned my guitar herd by one. Now if I could get rid of about 5 more of them.

Although the LotR movies set records for attendance here, I think interest has waned considerably. I may have to try and start my own LotR fan club in order to find some folks to watch the movies with. I know I can watch them by myself anytime, but I enjoy them much more if I can share them with somebody. Are any of you like me in that regard? Sometimes I just put on the appendices and watch them to quell my craving if I'm afraid I won't be able to maintain an accute state of awareness through A movie.

We teenage hooligans were much too adventurous for hobbits, Rose, but we were A lot like them in some ways for sure. We did throw A lot of rocks, smoke pipeweed, drank ale (or anything else alcoholic) and could easily eat six times A day. I know I could have wiped out A whole buffet all by myself when I was sixteen.

Have A nice day Neenime, balrog, scots, HT, Mith, Rose, Calle, Vicarcat, Morwin, MT (on the road), Awelyn, Sindy, Belle and our missing deciples, Old Tom, Brandywine and those other three whose names I can't think of right now, Swabby

[Edited on 9/6/2006 by swabby]
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: June 09, 2006 05:28
Neenime, I used to post elsewhere with a woman who worked as a contact person to Craig Parker and Mark Ferguson (Gil-galad from the FOTR movie) in the first Gathering in 2003, and she also told that both of the actors were unbelievably nice guys.

Myself, I considered attending the Gathering at first when I heard about it, but gave up on that when something appeared closer to home to which I rather use my time and money.

Woo hoo, it's Friday - have a great weekend, everybody! :hug:
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2006 08:40
Hi guys

Swabby wanted some ranger lust - I thought about the recent topics and came up with this.

A ranger man went swimming
One hot and humid day
And as it was secluded
He put his clothes away

Ho got into the water
Despite what you might hear
Although they might be scruffy
A cold bath holds no fear

When swimming by our ranger
As he bathed in the lake
With scaly skin and a forked tongue
Came an enormous snake

Our hero was as startled
As anybody would (be)
And as the thing had sharp big fangs
He feared for his manhood

A quite reflex reaction
Made both his hands go down
And as you might imagine
He began to drown

Rushing to the rescue
With no thought for self
To save his friend his only aim
Came our favourite elf

In he dived and chased away
The rather large reptile
I’m glad your here the ranger said
With a heartfelt smile

The moral of the tale is clear
If a skinny dip you seek
Please ensure before you plunge
You choose a snake free creek!

Hope you all like it.

I am thinking of all of you going through troubled times and hope that your fof friends caring thoughts help.

Love and Hugs

swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2006 09:17
Wooohooo! Wasn't that great? HT, you really came through on that one! What A special lady you are! Swabby
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2006 09:31
Good stuff, HT! I enjoyed that thoroughly, no less for the delightful imagery it conjured up. :blush:
callë - lovely photo of you. You look quite Elvish, even in jeans.

Yes, swabby there is some danger of cancellation. In fact, I only came to know about the Gathering through the news item on the Home page. Well, I've added 2 more registrations and will hope that others will follow suit.

Haldir/Craig PArker-lovers do not despair. It's not that I didn't think the man is attractive, he just wasn't top of my list. Your descriptions of his OE (Ordinary Existence) personality gives me something to look forward to.

[Edited on 9/6/2006 by Neenime]
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2006 05:38
Hi everyone.

Just poked my nose in *whew* and man have I missed a lot.

I have been busy lately with work. But I can not tell a lie because with my other free time I have been playing a new videogame. I has taken all my free time up. I think I got hooked. It is great. I decided to take a day off in playing to catch up on my emails.

Nice to see everyone. Great pic Callë. I like those old houses. Also nice to hear everyone is doing good. Want some cool weather, Rose? Our temps here are about 60F. Gets cooler at night.

neenime: Just saw in the stories at the beginning of CoE and theonering.net that The Gathering of the Fellowship could be cancelled. They are having a hard time at attendees. Not enough people are registered for the event. Good luck. I hope it survives. These keep LOTR fans in their own world.

Great stories on snakes. I used to play with them when I was a kid. We would come into the house smelling of garter snakes. My mother hated that smell.

Work is going not bad. Tension was a little high being that we had the Division Manager visit today. But everything worked out.

Going to Winnipeg, Manitoba for a Gala - that is the ending party for our charity work we all do. They have seven course meals and wine till you are full. They seem to never stop pouring the wine. I don't mind. I can drink that stuff. Have trouble with the hard liquor. Acid reflux and all. They also got us rooms to sleep in. This is all free. I like that word - free.

Well, I'm going to my room to read my book - The Blackstone Chronicles by John Saul, and will listen to a little of LOTR.

Talk to you all later.

Namárië

[Edited on 10/6/2006 by balrog]
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2006 11:32
Dear Callë thanks for the link. I've bookmarked the page about elves.
The written descriptions of Mirkwood are the most help.

I am wondering if I post sketches on a webpage will folks look at the sketches
of mine and give me feedback on what seems right and what not for Mirkwood?

I've so many ideas regarding Elves that don't seem to match others
expectations that I'd like some help on this if possible. :banghead:

Sigh I suppose I'm just being over-sensitive again :blush:

It was a quiet night at Nightwatch and I discussed things with Timberwolf afterwards which cleared up some points on the Elfhame Project.

I hope all goes well for everyone! :love: :cheers: :hug:
You and yours are all in my prayers always... :angel: forever.

awelyn418
Send Message
on: June 10, 2006 02:45
Vicarcat have you submitted your sketches to the fan fiction category? You can also go to the gallery and see some of our photos.
Have a good day.

Calle you looked like I picture you in my mind. I think you look a little Elvish too. I hope everything works out for your mom and you.

Hi Balrog, everything sounds better for you at work. Have a good time at your Gala. Free is definitely good.

HT that was a great poem. Did you say you had no snakes in Scotland?

Hi Rose, It is so good to see your dragon flying again and to read your posts.

Neenime , if I could I would sign up for the Gathering. If everyone on FOF could sign up we could save it. That is a dream but a very nice one. I see Fof having a Tolkien gathering. Neenime is teaching dancing. Swabby is drawing portraits and MTMS is giving history lessons on Aragorn with Mith and HT. Rose is drawing dragons and giving the history of dragons. Oh, Swabby is cooking for awhile with Morwin and Balrog. Calle and myself are talking about Elves and showing the skill of archery.(I have never shot an arrow in my life . OTB is giving a reading on Old Tom Bombadil with Goldberry. so many could show off LOTR COLLECTIONS.We would have Tolkien books and movies and games. I know I have left some out post and tell me what you would do if we had a gathering.

Hi Swabby, I know how you feel it is better to see the movies with someone who appreciates the movies. I can't wait until my husband sees them. He will have plenty of time the doctor says he can't go back to work for a month.

Have a great weekend.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2006 04:37
You mean your husband has never seen the movies, Awelyn? I can't understand that. You may as well tell me that he (and all those others who've never seen the movies) has never tasted ice cream. That is how I feel all the time, that I've experienced something so wonderful that it's difficult to describe, and I can't get that across to them. It's like that episode of Spongebob where Squidward turns his nose up at crabby patties, untill he's forced to take A tiny little taste of one, and then he's eating them out of the garbage. Now I do hope I'm not the only one here that watches Spongebob Squarepants.
Anyway, you tie him up if you have to, Awelyn. Hide his cane and put some of those eye-lid holder-openers on him like they used in "A Clockwork Orange". Normally I'm for "to each his own", but in the case of the LotR movies, I think forced viewing is appropriate. Swabby
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2006 06:56
Great pic, Callë! You certainly do look elvish. Perhaps related to Legolas, Glorifindel or Haldir?

HT, the poem was fantastic...lucky elf! Made me want to dive in the water and rescue the ranger. Now I'll be watching the lake waters carefully for any drowning rangers. Even though all we usually see are fully clothed fishermen, fiddlesticks!

Will do my best to keep the Ranger lust alive, Swabby. But many thoughts are not fit for forum fodder. :evil: :naughty: I agree with you about having someone watch the movies with you. My hubby likes them and sits with me through endless viewings, but yet he is not into them as he used to be. Usually he ends up on the computer and not really paying attention.

Awelyn, can't believe your hubby has not seen the movies. But what a marvelous treat he is in for, watching them for the first time.

Well MT must be having lots of fun and surely Ara-baby is one busy man amongst the many shield maidens. I was told he was going along to Bilbo's restaurant. But he would get a rest during the boat ride.

Have fun at the gala party, Balrog. A well-deserved celebration after helping others.

Hi :wave: to Neenime, Vicarcat, Rose, Morwin, Scots and anyone else I forgot! Have a great weekend! :heart: :hug: :love:
awelyn418
Send Message
on: June 10, 2006 08:16
Swabby I think I can get him to watch them without force. I will just use my womanly wiles that you talk about so much. I will say I think I can I think I can I forget he has not seen them and I will try to discuss the difference in some part of the book versus the movie and this is the look I get :twitch: so he has to watch them. Swabby my family only had ice cream on special occasions and you would think I would just crave it.

Mith keep watching the lake. I have started reading the book again. I am on TT I read that when I wait for my husband at the doctors or in the car waiting so I think if I am waiting why waste my time but spend it doing something I really enjoy.
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2006 12:40
Hi everyone

Thanks for the nice words about my poem I hope it cheered you up.

Vicarcat I don't know if this is anything like you imagine but I write fan-fiction although I don't publish much and this is a paragraph from one of my stories about King Thranduil's dining hall -

"The dining hall was lit by dozens of candles, many set in front of mirrors so that they reflected more light. There were also candles floating in bowls of water that also contained rose petals. The upper part of the walls and ceiling were painted in a rich dark blue set with faceted crystals that gave the appearance of the night sky and the rugs underfoot were a soft green as if it were moss."

Take care everyone.

Love

sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2006 02:29
HI everyone!

School is finally out and it has taken me a couple of days to recooperate and read all the posts

I wish there was a Tolkien meeting or moot or gathering somewhere close...I'd love to go.

Mith, is it walleye season? When does perch fishing start? I love deep fried Lake Erie perch. I've been trying to talk the DH into taking a long weekend and going up to Put-In Bay.

Snake tales...excuse the pun. I have many; I hate the evil things. We lived in the country when I was growing up and they were always sssneaking around...black snakes and garter snakes mostly, and a few copperheads since there was strip coal mining down in the valleys behind our house and the blasting would dislodge and irritate them.

When my dad first built our house, I was about six and walking in the yard with my mom and baby sister. I was demonstrating how one could conveniently sit in the grass. As I was lowering my rump toward the ground I looked back and a coiled copperhead was scoping out where to take a chunk out of me. Scream and run.

Once a black snake crawled up the side of the house and wriggled into the attic vent. Witnessing this, I screamed and ran...knowing the door to the attic was in MY BEDROOM CLOSET! My dad who had worked third shift thought I was being murdered. The poor man had to crawl into the attic (I was screaming now for his safety) and poke the snake back through the hole. The stunned snake lay patiently on the ground until Dad could come outside and whack its head off. The mouth snapped open and shut and the body writhed and I set off screaming once more (gave me nightmares for a year!)

I hate snakes!

The animals (sans snakes) are lining up two by two here. It has been raining all day and the weatherman promises more of the same tomorrow. At least my Rivendell garden is getting watered.

Sindy
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2006 10:22
Oh HT lovely description... It makes me wish we had a dining room... How would you describe the study/library?
I ask this because our studio is filled with books, boxes of notebooks,
and art supplies... not to mention a pair of desks with readinglamps.

Sigh, I just found out that my request for funds for garden plants was
submitted to late to get funding. :sob:

Oh but I found some neat images of elves done by Henning Janssen...
I sent him an email asking if I could use his Elven images as a guide
for costume designs but I haven't gotten a response from him yet.
I really like his Dark Fey, as they look like they belong in the
Greenwood to me.

I did laundry today 3 big loads of it...
I have way to many pieces of Human styled clothes for my tastes...
I'll have time over the summer to part some of them out and make
some things more to my liking..

Hope everyones weekend is going well. :love: :cheers:

callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2006 10:28
Swabby, you always flatter with a kind remark. What self esteem would we have without you?
I agree about watching LOTR with company. But my family are much like many of yours. They will watch it with me, but after endless viewings I notice they get distracted or wander away. What is wrong with them?? I love ice cream and feel like you do. Its such a special treat. I'm always ready to loan out my dvd's to anyone who hasnt seen them yet. I feel they are missing some vitally important part of life.
thanks much for the 'elvish looking' comments Mith, Awelyn and Neenime. I am half-elven so I am glad it comes out.
Really, I do find myself looking at people and seeing definite elvish or hobbit or ranger/maiden qualities about them. Unfortunately there are some orcs out there as well.
Awelyn, I love archery and would love that job in our fof gathering. I would also love decorating some of the elvish habitat as well. oh, and holding some elvish language lessons.
Dont forget vicarcat certainly has the ability to lead the walks through the different realms and lands.
What a treat to end our gathering with a long sit down of watching the films together with good food and drink, and sharing the emotional, funnny, sad, and really heart tugging moments with like minded company.
Neenime, I really really hope the gathering takes place. Good for you making that effort. I so fear a fall in gatherings as with some people, its only passing and it doesnt really take on a life long love that we share of the Proffessors world. I cant imagine not having middle earth in my life. The elves, rangers, hobbits and more are very real to me and they are friends that help me through lifes decisions.
Vicarcat, I would love to hear your ideas about elf decor. I find myself looking for decor for my home only if it looks 'elvish'. Cream, some browns, lots of greens, and touches of gold and silver catch my eyes. almost anything ancient looking especially with lovely spirals of any sort. Statues and carvings are lovely. of course lovely english ivy. any more ideas?
Rose, thanks for your thoughts. And speaking of the weather, it is lovely all this sunshine but I am suffering terribly with hay fever right now. I so hope it passes soon as its shortening my walks. Such a beautiful weekend . I had planned to go for a lovely walk around Dovedale, but I cant stop sneezing!
Balrog, the gala sounds fun. Fit for a hobbit...7 courses and fine drink...and free! you deserve it for unselfish things done for others. Hope you have a great time.
HT. absolutely brilliant poem. I really enjoyed it. ahhh, a hero elf :love: Never mind the ranger, i think I would be diving in after that elf! And your description of king Thranduil's dining hall is fantastic. absolutely beautuful. Gives me great ideas. I actually read that last post of yours just now as I was posting and I scrolled down and realised that you posted whilst I was still typing. I'm sure Vicarcat will love that description.
Hiya everyone else! hope all your weekends are turning out nice!
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2006 11:39
Hey, where is everyone today? I wrote A post earlier but forgot to log in beforehand, Duhhh. I'm trying to do better this time.
Is everyone out Ranger hunting today? I'll bet MT is. She may have A couple of nice ones all hog-tied and stowed in her trunk by now. I do hope she and the other Shieldmaidens will take it easy on them and not break out the nice chianti and fava beans. Ooh, that would be bad.
Maybe Ara-baby is jealous, do you suppose? Speaking of the flat Ranger, I wonder how many times MT has had to defend his honour. I can just picture it, "Now look what you've done, he's got A carpet burn!" and "Ara-baby, don't look---they're not real!" Poor Ara-baby. I'd trade places with you if I could, ol' buddy.

We went to see "Over the Hedge" this afternoon. A pretty little four or five year-old girl sitting behind me with her mother provided some interesting commentary. She took it all sooo seriously. Yes, I was the oldest person in the theater.

It's great to know that I'm not the only person who feels the way I do about the LotR movies, calle. They really are very special to me and there is nothing in existance that compares with them.

I enjoyed your snake tails, Sindy, (get it? Snake tails?) and your creative writing is always A pleasure, HT.
Do we have A new LotR convert, Awelyn? Or will we need the eye-lid clamps? Do whatever is necessary, you have my permission.

Is the dragon lady holed up in her lair, counting her gold? How about Old Tom, could Goldberry have him locked in the dog house? Vicarcat, I've got A tip for you----elves don't always have pointy ears. The rare Asian elves have smaller, non-pointy ears. (could I have that confused with eliphaunts?)

Later, my fine friends, Swabby
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2006 06:55
Sigh... I'm floatin...
Henning gave me permission to base some of my Elven clothes on his Elven art! And all he wants is a link to his website and photos of the finished clothes...
I really ought to be mailing out postcards with his art on it... when I send cards out that is...
Here is a link to his website... http://www.henj.nl/

And I also found out that Lacey is going to get some plants for me at
Portland Nursery... so I will get my ferns and flowers after all!

Swabby did anyone ever tell you that Half-Elves have a fifty-fifty chance
of being born with pointed ears... eh?
Oh and Half-Elves are shorter then most full blooded Elves too... like a foot
or so shorter :blush: and we age faster then Elves do too though we are
harder to kill then most Hobits who live longer then Men...
The oldest Half-Elf I know of died at 164 years old back in the 1980's, he
lived in the mountains of Georgia and is listed as having served in the
Crimean Wa,r WW1, and WW2, according to Soviet records.
Most Half-Elves are lucky to make it to 90 if they live in the city...
but in rural areas 115 to 125 is common.

OK Calle don't come after me because I talk to much! :blush:

I am not obsessed with Elves they are my family and how could I be called
obsessed with family? :love:
I mean who doesn't collect photos of family and put them in scrapbboks
and on the walls, and why shouldn't I talk about them all the time...?
Well ok not during mass, or in a class lecture, but most of the rest of time...
like in prayers along with my friends... and chatting in the garden...
Ok so I should email Dad more often...:love: :blush: and Mom prefers
phone calls...:love:
And Scott doesn't return my calls but he works overtime a lot!
And he did send me photos of Ashley by email so they are on the fridge....
Gotta request more new photos...

Ok if you want to see an old photo of me with a friend, it is in the gallery under members just do a search for Leslie-Faye and two images come up;
my sketch of a willow branch, and a photo of me and Hank when he was
speaking at a mufo conferece in San Bernadino CA in 98...
I am not as big now as I was when the photo was taken but that was shortly
after surgery so I wasn't my slim self... [I could still loose ten pounds or so...]

I will post photos after I have converted the studio to a more elven style...
It may take a few months as I don't know when they are going to spray the whole building for bugs and I want things cleaned up for that, before I do
any art work to hang on the walls... :rolleyes: Bugs ewww!

Now if I could find people who carved walking sticks here at CoE I could really bounce off of the walls!:disco: For now I''l just bug Silverleaf for ideas...

Summer is an commin in :cheers: Hope yours is good!
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2006 10:31
Good morning!
Wonder how MT is enjoying herself. Swabby, I'm betting she has rangers at her feet by now. We cant wait to hear MT.
Vicarcat, whad ya mean, dont come after you?? Are you implying I talk a lot too?
I admit, I can be a chatter box. I looked at your photo. Very nice. You have that distinct soft serene look of a half-elf. Do you know that i have one rounded ear and one that has a partial point? If I had my way they both would have come out with that little point. But we cant decide that for ourselves can we? Like you said, its a 50/50 chance.
I added that henj website to my favourites. Its really beautiful stuff. You shall have to post a photo of your finished clothing. It makes me wish i was more talented in the art of clothe making.
I hope everyone had a nice weekend. I woke up to thunder and some blessed rain this morning. Hopefully it will wash some pollen away.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2006 02:03
Happy Monday, All!
Just a quick hello this morning as I wind my way into my busy June; looking back I guess that the busy June has started already. I have a Masters class this week, workshops/ Middle School conferences next week, and another Masters class the last week of June. Hmmmmm If it seems like I've fallen off the side of the earth, you'll know exactly why. :twitch: I really can't complain as this was--for the most part--self-induced. I have to admit that I do love learning. That's why I've started learning Queyna of all things this month. It's not like I have anything else to do with my life! LOL

We had a celebration of rural education at our little school yesterday. It seems very odd that as of Friday I will no longer be there. I have truly mixed feelings about that. No tears but lots of sadness and tugging at my heart along with the excitement of new challenges to come. Life does go on!

Have a good week!
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2006 04:18
:hug:s scots. Aaaaawww *squeeeeeze* It must be sad and strange, but on to bigger and brighter things my girl. :love:

:wave:s to everyone, collapses in a heap, toooooo hot!!! Way, way, way tooooo hot for this English Rose.

*fans face madly*

Brain melting, finishing work soon then off home.

Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: June 12, 2006 05:29
I haven't been Ranger hunting, but gardening - and after that, I didn't have energy for anything but being lazy and practically pouring mineral water down my throat. Today, it was such a boooooring day at work, and the Internet connection was down for half of the day... :angry:

And now, the yard is calling again. :hug: to everyone!
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email