Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans Over Forty ~ Part VII
on: June 21, 2006 03:59
Hi !

Just thought I post a note...

I found Silverleaf at his favorite occupation this morning; he found a 3d site
full of plant renderings that were all free... and of course he has downloaded
a hundred or so of them... I think he's going to recreate Elvenhame in VR.

Later we went to the HHS office and it looks like he qualifies for free medical...
I hope it is so as that would lift a burden off his shoulders.

After that we went up to the garden, he watered plants while I raked the
compost off of the walkway... nice and sunny today.
Popsicles were the order of the day after that... all in all a low key birthday...

Tom thats a very cute niece you have there... enjoy her while she's young, you'l be helping Dad fend of Rangers soon enough!

Rose I hope you recover from that hit and run truck soon...

Hope all goes well for everyone... :wave:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2006 06:07
Watching that film of the bear and the hammock has got me wondering now about that camping trip I went on when I was seventeen. All this time I've been thinking it was my buddy's big hairy sister Bertha that crawled into my sleeping bag and showed me A good time. Soooo, I guess that wasn't honey-flavored lipstick. At least she didn't turn me into no toad!

Took my son t-shirt shopping today. He likes classic rock t-shirts with Led Zepplin, Rush, AC/DC or Queen on them, but I talked him into getting A really cool Hendrix shirt. I saw one with A rather strong and lewd political message on it that I had to have. I couldn't describe it here without giving the morality police A grand Moll seizure. Let's just say that it doesn't speak well of our little 'tator.

MT, I think you otta give me A shot at some of that standee duty. I have A scruffy beard, A ridden hard and put away wet look, and many shiney tools from the garage I could hang from my belt like A torque wrench, air hammer, very LARGE sockets and gear-pullers that would make me look most intimidating, I believe. When the girls came over to check me out, I could say things like, "Need your chassis straightened?" or "Mmmmm, you smell just like fresh brake fluid". I'd be so much more than A pretty cardboard cut-out could ever be. Waddaya think? Huh, huh?

vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2006 09:08
Hey Swabby! Do you have a set of Biker Leathers to complete the outfit?
Or would we need to supply you with Ranger Leathers instead?

Just wanting to get a clear picture of the Swabby Standee... :blush:
Ahmmm... well perhaps I don't need that clear a picture...

I like the idea anyway!

Much better for a Shieldmaiden to have a warm and cuddly Ranger then to
be alone on a long trek... warmer on cold nights... makes it easier to keep
watch for nasties too...

Yes I know I have a Ranger of my own and he is Half-Elven...
Mind you Silverleaf is sleeping peacefully right now and he'll wake up
about the time I get to sleep... [old habits die hard]. :love:

I did an evening walk and heard a confession at the same time...

We have got to make Peace in this World ASAP! I mean it, we have to... :sob:
Sorry I get mushy at times... It's only because I care.:heart:

Gotta contemplate the Swabby Standee...
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2006 02:48
You would make a fabulous standee swabby! I like the idea of your shiny tools hanging from your belt-how handy that would be. Of course you'd have to wear leather-that's a given. Now all you have to do is think of a pose to strike that would make shieldmaidens quiver and melt at your feet.

Having your own man doesn't stop a shieldmaiden from "admiring" rangers (or elves or men), vicarcat. You're lucky that your man is half-elven as at times I think mine is half-orc. :evil: My "admiration" for rangers is more than skin-deep, it goes to the heart-where the true attributes of a ranger are felt and appreciated.

Today is dad's birthday. Going to his house to help him learn how to use the computer. Later this evening brother and I are taking him out to dinner. Hopefully he'll enjoy himself and not complain too much. Will try to bring a bit of fun into his day, but may need all the luck I can get!

MT
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2006 06:35
I have A perfect pose in mind, MT. Have you ever seen Michelangelo's "King David"? You say I'd need leather? My tool belt is leather!
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2006 05:34
My "admiration" for rangers is more than skin-deep, it goes to the heart-where the true attributes of a ranger are felt and appreciated.

Couldn't agree with you more, MT. It is definitely the true :heart: Ranger qualities that make the perfect, almost fantasy type guy. A great fantasy to dwell on when a certain loved one is behaving orkishly. Luckily the hobbit genes seem to be dominant. :rolling:

Vicarcat, you are fortunate to dwell with elves.

Gotta get one of those Swabby standees. It will go on Christmas list right well right after the Aragorn one. Of course that is a special honor in itself to follow the :heart: Ranger. Anyways, you need time to work on the perfect pose, Swabby. :love:

Last night was like a light show here with all the lightening. Quite entertaining except for the occasional power interruptions. Some areas not too far from us were flooded and also some high winds.

Hi :wave: [b]Awelyn[b], hope you are having fun on your get away weekend.

Well looks like another possible storm so better sign out quick.

:heart::love: :hug: to everyone.

vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2006 09:41
Mith: yes I am fortunate to live with Elves...
but like Lord Elrond I often find myself dealing with all types of people...
As luck would have it I am wed to a lovely Half-Elf who knows the ropes of
urban management better then I do...
I do believe that fortunate is an understatement, blessed is more like it...

Ah well, my Elves are scattered across the Portland metro area...
some have apartments and others sleep in the parks...
We simply don't have the bed space we need to house everyone...
Still waiting on grants to come in...

Sigh, not like you need to here this... sorry about the complaining. :blush:

I sometimes feel like I am trying to run Rivendell from a park bench on a
shoe-string... ok so it isn't quite that bad but at times it is close...
Luckly the Orcs don't bother us and neither do the Trolls [Lorien's blessing].
Street Trolls are nothing to laugh about and Street Orcs are worse...:evil:

Elven is a state of being where all are welcome to dwell...
even Orcs and Trolls who are polite can visit... though they rarely stay.

Swabby do let me know when the first Swabby Standee is available...

MT I hope your Dad's birthday went well...

Happy friday! :cheers:
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2006 02:55
Hi Everyone!

Catching up on posts between working on my scribblings, running errands, and getting ready to go to North Carolina.

OTB, a beautiful niece. I wish her the grace and wisdom of her aunt and uncle!

A Swabby standee! I need one of those! Swabby, you must casually toss your biker jacket over your shoulders sort of like a Ranger cloak.

Mith, I was thinking of you as I watched the Weather Channel this AM with my breakfast coffee. I was hoping the water wasn't rising too high near you. We had some dazzling light shows yesterday evening and a front came through about five with amazing winds! I was outside writing and of course couldn't help but stay for the weather.

MT, hope your outing with your dad went well. Dealing with aging parents can be challenging. The DH's mother is in a nursing home and his siblings who live five miles away don't have time to visit her unless he drives 150 miles and takes her to their house.

Scots, hope you're enjoying the summer!!! Isn't it glorious?

Off to the Raleigh-Durham area on Monday. DH is traveling there for business and I am tagging along to visit friends.

Thought for the day: Ladies, those men in our lives sometimes behave like orcs but they sure kiss like Rangers! :love:

Sindy
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2006 05:40
I had hoped that I could form myself into A "King David"- looking, two-dimensional standee for you ladies, but after spending the night sandwiched between two mattresses with A 300 pound woman on top for weight, I see that my pose is more like that of A starfish. I'm sorry. I tried. That leather jacket over the shoulder is A swell idea, Sindy, but the only way I'm ever going to do standee duty is if I remain in 3-d, I'm afraid. Alas, I cannot join Ara-baby in his 2-d world and so will not be able to conceal my moments of excitement as he does. Yeah, that's right, he doesn't have to worry about those telltale bumps and bulges, but ol' Swabby will! Cursed 3rd dimension!

On A seious note, let's all wish MT A safe journey on her European vacation.

Lucky me! I'm supposed to get my grandaughter this afternoon. My ex is bringing her up from Texas and I am to keep her for about 48 hours. Fatigue and joy---what A combination!

Have A great weekend! Swabby
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2006 06:19
You see, swabby, it's not easy being a standee! And the best ones are rangers!!:heart::love: But do not lose hope. Even the wise do not see all ends.........
Joy and exhaustion-I know what you mean. I'm getting ready to do a bit of that myself. Enjoy your time with your granddaughter, but don't let her dress Aragorn in Barbie clothes. That is sooooooo wrong!

Have fun on your trip to North Carolina, Sindy. Please kick up your heels a bit. Don't want awelyn alone in her merry-making. Let me know when you finish your writing. Love reading your work.

Had a blast with dad, brother and hubby last night. Dad was in a good mood for a change. A neighbor from our childhood days was at the same restaurant. He came over and chatted a bit. Things got a bit funny, as neighbor had been drinking a bit. He kissed the top of dad's bald head and almost didn't let us out of the restaurant without hugs. Boy, did we laugh about that in the parking lot outside!!

Hope you are safe and dry, Mith. It's horribly dry here-19 inches below where we should be in rainfall amount. Could you please send some of that extra you have down here? There's no watering the lawn and more conservation steps may be ahead. Bet the frogs are drying out.

Good to hear from you Brandywine. You're a very busy gal! Hope you're enjoying your freedom. I believe it makes me a better teacher.

Off to do some shopping for goodies for grandkids!

MT
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2006 07:43
We are indeed all blessed, Vicarcat. So much to be thankful for.

The high winds have been elsewhere and the flooding not in our immediate area. Sindy, do you stay outside and watch the winds? (Thought about rewording that one...how does one "see" the wind, lol!) Have fun on your trip to NC.

Will send any rain southward to Alabama. Glad your time with your father went well, MT. It can be difficult dealing with parents as they get older. Good luck with helping on the computer. My parents won't even consider getting one. I spent many hours with mother-in-law as did other family members and she is afraid to get on-line. So give lots of credit to those eldars that do learn the modern ways. Have fun shopping for those grandkids also!

Grandpa Swabbs, how fun to be spending a couple days with your precious granddaughter! I know what you mean about the fatigue, but it is definitely worth it. Oh, and I wanted to ask if we wear the 3D glasses, will that enable us to see you in 2D? Thought perhaps after the sandwiching it would work. :rolling:

Happy Friday to everyone and a great weekend. :cheers: :love: :hug:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2006 02:31
What a great and powerful one you are Mith! It rained today!! :disco: :cheers: Almost forgot what rain looked, felt and sounded like. The trees and other green growing things were dancing with joy. Thanks for the gift of rain!!

I "see" wind. It moves the branches and leaves on the trees, makes clouds go racing past and clangs the wind chimes on the back porch. I enjoy watching wind, rain and storms-especially in the summer. Haven't had much of a chance to enjoy that lately.

Bought another Aragorn action figure. Actually it's a super-poseable Strider. Now I have 6 (Aragorn action figures, that is). If only I could find one that's life-sized. It would be fun "sparring" with him...err them. Surrounded by Aragorn/Striders..........oh my!!!:heart::love:

MT
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2006 05:50
Oh you are kind, MT, I'm anything but great or powerful, lol. Don't think I would want that responsibility since I would just want to make us life size action figures. of a certain well known ranger we love. But I will thank God for sending much needed rain your way.

We had a nice evening. An eldar couple (neighbors) invited us for a glass of wine and a slice of fresh homemade strawberry pie. Was so worth the calories. We enjoy their company as well, they have traveled quite a few places on the globe and have many interesting tales to tell. They are older than our parents but that doesn't seem to matter. The four of us hit it off really well.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: June 23, 2006 06:06
Oh my I hope I remember everyone. MTMS, did you forget the medicine I take when I take off that helped me . I sent you the name last year. Have a great time I will be praying.

OTB, what a pretty baby. She looks content.

Brandywine ,Hello and welcome back. I know you are out for the summer but I bet you still have work on your farm or was it a ranch?

Swabby, It is always so good to read your posts. I am sorry your trip was not exactly what you planned.

Scots are you having a good vacation?

Calle ,I love sunsets myself. How are you?

Balrog bless your heart. It is sad but true but you have to do what you need to do to survive.

Vicarcat keep up the good work.

My trip to Fulton was awesome. The church was magnificent and the museum was grand. There was a small English garden with a sundial and I did get pictures I will try to get them ready this week. I have 3 of my grandkids with me. I have been a tad busy. We watched Return of the King this afternoon and went swimming and watched Nanny McPhee tonight. I have read stories, answered guestions fixed lunch we went out for supper.They keep me hopping. I will have them until Monday. I feel like an activities director. and I love them so much. I am tired so I am off to bed. Glad to be back I missed FOF.
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2006 09:40
Hi! Remember that silver haired Elf I saw last week?
I saw him tonight, so he is ok... I am a worry wart but I have cause.

I am still waiting for the plants and there is a work party tomorrow in the garden, looks like tomorow will be 86*+ with sunday and monday at 96*
or higher... Gotta coverup and sweat like a pig or I'll fry like bacon...

I have a beach trip on tuesday so I got a pair of pale mint green pants and
a matching cap-sleeve teeshirt to wear from the free bin. I already had a
lightweight cotton tunic in mint green to wear, but it is somewhat sheer so
I needed the teeshirt underneath it...

Vacation from school is good, but I'm on call 24/7 for the order so work
continues on, [no rest for the weary or is that the wicked?]...

I had a mac truck hit tonight, just like the truck that got Rose,
[enuf said eh?]...

I was looking all over for gray thread today... I didn't find any among my sewing but I did find an unexpected $5 folded on a drawer so I bought a spool of gray thread, and I'll get that grey outfit done soon...
It was either the Angels or the Elves that put the money in the drawer...
not sure which as they seem to tag team their duties around here.
Nobody admits to doing it but the $5 was there when I needed it!
Hmmm who is the patron saint of drapers? Was probably his or her doing!

Silverleaf let on today that he had gotten some birthday presents online...
He mentioned matching hats for him and I, but he is making me wait until
they come to find out what the rest of the presents are...
I am like a 5 year old kid when it comes to presents...
Silverleaf spoils me perhaps because his grandchildren are in college and
too far away to visit even during the holidays or summer vacation...
He is waiting for great-grandchildren to spoil...

Ok so I probably left folks out of this post... sorry it's just fatigue.

Good travels and all! :cheers:
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: June 24, 2006 02:15
OK, gallery's in order for now, and my younger one's back home... now, life should get a bit easier for a while, and I'll probably be able to pop in more often. But now, I'll just wish a nice weekend for everybody, and say "awwwww!" for Tom's niece! :love:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2006 10:46
Welcome back, Morwin. You've been missed. Glad that things have slowed down a bit for you. Enjoy your weekend.

Those elvish angels are something special, vicarcat. They seem to know just what we need and put it just where we'll be sure to find it. Thanks be to Eru.

I'm to pick up the meds this pm awelyn. I'm still a bit nervous about take off. Please say a prayer for this cowardly shieldmaiden.
Have fun with the grandkids. Give them a hug for me. Can't wait to get my arms around my little Joseph, Sammy and baby Eleanor. :hug:

I think there should be shieldmaiden action figures featuring the famous (and infamous) Mith, Sindy, Neenime, HT, Rose, scots, awelyn, balrog, Morwin, Belle, brandywine and vicarcat. Quite a collection, I'd say!

Here's a link to a picture of most of the folk at the Michigan Moot before the cruise on the Kalamazoo River and out into Lake Michigan. Notice the handsome, scruffy looking guy in the middle, whose feet I'm sitting at :www.photobucket.com/albums/v281/melianndoriath/Ara-baby/009_11A.jpg .

Things did get a bit romantic on board: www.photobucket.com/albums/v281/melianndoriath/Ara-baby/006_8A.jpg.:heart::heart::heart:

MT
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2006 11:05
Thanks for all the fine work you do on the gallery, Morwin. Your efforts are appreciated.

On "seeing wind". We may not know "from whence it cometh" or "to where it goeth", but we certainly do know it's there and can see the results of it. When you're hot and sweaty, A cool breeze can be A wonderful thing.

Good for you that you're able to be friends with older folks, Mith. I would really hate it if I knew someone didn't want to be friends because they thought I was too old. That would be about the lowest blow I can imagine. Don't people I meet know that I'm about 17 inside?

Vicarcat, I hope you'll stay away from those Mac trucks. (Especially the ones that are moving) Also, keep an eye on your mailbox.

What A coincidence, Awelyn, I watched Nanny McPhee with my grandaughter last night. (Friday)

Has MT left for Europe yet? I might survive A trip like that if I could take my comfy chair. Later, Swabby

Oops! MT posted while I was writing. Good luck on that trip, girl. I hope the flight's as smooooth as A gravy sandwich.

[Edited on 24/6/2006 by swabby]
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2006 09:02
The plants came yesterday evening so I planted most of them this morning.
I came back all hot and sweatty from 2 hours of planting Deer and Wood Ferns and Pacific Iris to a lovely surprise...

On my desk was a treasure trove of Elves! :love:
And the Elves had brought friends with them, even a rock star and a President... Oh such lovely art all by Swabby!

MT nice photos of the moot. I will keep you in my prayers as you travel.

It is still hot here tonight at 80* it is going to be hard to sleep... :yawn:
but I only got 3 hours sleep this morning so I best get to bed.
I want to plant Violets before 10 am tomorrow as the high will reach at
least 95* if not 100* by 1 pm... and the Violets need to go in the ground
before the temp rises to 80* again...

Blessings and Joy! :disco: :hug: :wave:
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 25, 2006 03:32
:wave: Greetings everyone

*sends cooling breeze to vc* We have enough here in the UK at the moment. Hope that truck didn't hurt too much, VC.

The longest day came and went and I think our Summer went with it. Lol!!

I had a good night at my Works 18th year celebratory party. No Elves or Rangers or Hobbits, unfortunately, just boring Surveyors, Solicitors and Property Developers. :rolleyes:

I see on the Home News page on CoE, that *the* musical is coming to Britain next year. *jumps around the room*

Swabby: I think that 17 year old is inside us all. It's a shock when you look in the mirror....'Where'd she go...that girl I knew?!'

MT: The pics were cool.

Morwin: Good to see you are home.

Sorry, if I haven't mentioned everyone's post, but you know I think of you. :hug:

Off to make some scrambled egg on toast before the England-v-Ecuador match comes on TV.

Have a good Sunday. TTFN. :hug:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 25, 2006 04:52
Greetings and salutations! Here I am on an unsecured Wi-Fi line. Heheheh. Couldn't get a signal when we first tried, but this one has mysteriously turned up just so that I can catch up with my friends. must be some sort of Maiar magic.

Scots what a scare with your mom. I hope that she is stable and that you all are not too worried. Ill parents are such a worry. I am glad that your sisters were there to help.

MT I know you probably won't read this, (because you are off galavanting in Europe!), but great Arababy photos. He has that faraway lookin his eyes. No doubt from being in the swoon-worthy company of such distinguishged women and perhaps there was a soupcon of fear in his eyes as well. You know, that deer-in-the-headlights look. Wondering whether he would be pounced upon by those same lusty ladies.........

Rose-glad to hear from you. Keep your spirits up.

Yo - Tom an Swabby hope you're well. HT- football brings out the least rational in some people, eh?

Balrog glad that you have that extra opportunity. Hope your energy level holds out OK. We'll be sending our best encouragements.

Vicarcat I hope you and your darling Silverleaf had a good birtday celebration for him. I a sure that your presence in his life is the best gift he could ask for. It's too late now, but you cold always make up some "coupns" for back rubs, a cup of tea, "Get Out of Dishes Duty" cards. etc.......

Well, my conference was great, but complicated by catching a nasty cold. My first in about a year. Bad timing. By the day of my presentation I had a sinus headache, nose running like a tap and a scratchy voice. I worship the Goddess Sinutab- she maketh my nasal secretions to abate whilst clearing my mind for the duties of presenation.

I expected 12-15 people for this somewhat esoteric topic (Therapeutic Use of Dreams . I had 45-50 people! And they thought it was great.The biggest gamble was a live demo of a dream interpretation. The lady who vlunteered as an inspired subject and we hit pay-dirt even in the short time that we had. All in all, a satisfying and inspriing conferec.

And now I am better and enjoying the vacation. Hubby flew in a helicopter over Niagara Falls and got some great shots. We went to the Toronto zoo yesterday and also had a wonderful time, logging MANY kilometers on our tired feet. My shots haven't been processed yet. Will post when they are.

Weather not to humid most of the time. That's a blessing.

Gathering in a week. Convinced my broether to go too. Studying camera technique so as to get some good shots for my FOF friends.

OK, marathon post is over. had to get it all i while I had access!
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 25, 2006 09:05
Rose, thanks for the cooling winds... the truck was loaded with projects so now I have so many projects that my wall is papered with them!

Neenime, we spent a quiet day except for the office visit, it was a popsicle day. Though I found out later that Silverleaf bought some birthday presents online... He is sneaky at times and here I thought he was downloading
3d images...
Oh Neenime your hubby takes great photos...

It was hot again today above 100*...
I planted the violets before 10am and watered them again after 7pm...
no sunburn and I got 5 miles in on my walk after 7pm...

It is still above 80* and I have a vague feeling and am left wondering is Arababy in Europe visiting family with MT?

Hope everyones weekend was good! :wave: :hug:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2006 02:21
:wave: Just another quick pop in to say hi. I'm off in about 15 minutes to my begin my last class for the summer. :disco:

Whoa, Cat! I was watching the Weather Channel today and saw the heat wave that's hitting your part of the world. That's nasty! Keep the popsicles coming and take lots of rests in the shade.

I spent my "down week" this month in workshops and at my mom's. Busy week for me even though I was supposed to be "on break". lol

Must dash. Time to get some more of that there higher edubacashon.

Tah!
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2006 04:35
It's hard for me to picture Oregon being so hot, Vicarcat. I always picture the entire west coast as being A little bit chilly, like San Francisco and Seattle. I hope you all are doing your best to conserve energy and not contribute to global warming any more than you have to. It may already be too late to save our planet.

I had A great time with my granddaughter. As usual, she made out like A bandit with the new clothes and toys. It's funny, she's so small and doesn't possess great language skills, yet she constantly surprises me with how much she knows about the world. I don't think her mother or grandmother in Texas spend much time trying to teach her things, which is A pity because her mind is clearly like A sponge.

I hope all of you are enjoying the summer as much as you can, fishing, swimming, gardening or lying in A hammock reading. (Watch out for bears!) Rose, I think you should tell those orcs and goblins you work for that I said to ease up on you and remind them that Lincoln freed the slaves.

I shall now go to the dinning table where the light is good and see if I can get started on A likeness of the brutally handsome Mr Clooney. Swabby
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: June 26, 2006 05:54
Quite impressive photos by your husband, Neenime! Sorry to hear that you caught a cold at the conference - but, if it's any comfort for you, so did Mr Morwin, just as his vacation was beginning. He's better already, hope that you have recovered as well. I don't wonder why your presentation gathered quite a big audience; the topic sounds interesting!

Vicarcat, you're really having a hot weather there!

Swabby, seems that you should definitely see your granddaughter more often.

Scots, and all the other teachers here, hooray for summer and vacation! I've still got this week to work before leaving for the summer pastures.

I always forget someone if I try and greet you all by name, so just a :hug: to each and everyone!
awelyn418
Send Message
on: June 26, 2006 05:12
Swabby , one of the reasons I love my job so much is I get to teach parents that they are their children's first and most important teacher. We also tell them that the brain of a child has reached 80% of the size of an adult brain by three. They are amazed. I proceed to give them tips and show them things they can do with their children that are fun but the child is learning. I teach parents from prenatal to when the child is five. I am glad you had a good time with your granddaughter. I took my grandkids home today. I love having them but it was time for them to go home. They were missing their parents and younger brother. I was missing my rest. I am not as young as I used to be you know

Morwin, to bad that your husband got a cold on vacation. I know you are glad that you only have one more week of work.

Scots you are so ambitious and where do you get all that energy?
I hope the class is a fun class or that it turns out to be fun.

Vicarcat , You poor dear. I can take the cold but I have a hard time with heat. I have since I almost had that heat stroke and menopause does not help either. I think Ara-baby stayed home to look after things.

Neenime ,your conference sounded so interesting. My sinus just drive me crazy but to have to do all that talking with a scratchy ,sore throat and all that go with it. You poor dear. Have a great vacation.
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2006 10:03
Yes it is hot here the high was 101*... it is 83* now and I've to get some sleep.

I stayed inside until 7pm then I went and swept the brick walkways in the comunity garden... I waited til 9:35 pm to take my 3 mile walk.

There is a church trip tomorrow to Silver Falls and it includes an 8 mile hike.
Not sure how far I'll get but it will be cooler there, then here in Portland.

I've a request to make.
if Vicarcat is too long to type then please use Cat, as VC has a rather
bad connotation for me.

Thanks!

OK so I am picky...
I am after all, a heat frazzled Half Elf on a shoestring budget.

Oh and it is not to late to save Earth we just need to get off of three
addictions, Greed, Fossil Fuels, and the Judgment Game...

If we don't then Humanity may become a thing of legends that the Cats, Dogs
and the Squirrels tell their young horror stories about.

I think we can pull out of those addictions and become the people that God made us to be... of course that type of change of habit is a lifetime project...
but we have the time if we use it right.

Gotta go... hope evryones day was fine! :hug: :heart: :sleepy:
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2006 03:56
vicarcat: Seems the man you would be looking for is St Severus of Avranches. He is a patron saint of Drapers.

You can see a little bit about him here

And apologies for the usage of 'vc', did not mean to cause upset. 'Cat' I like, 'Cat' is good. *nods enthusiastically*

That heat must be pretty unbearable. *puffs cheeks out, fills mouth with ice cubes and breathes huge dragon breath of cold wind across to you*. Btw, I hope you intend to take pics of all these plants and flowers you are growing.

Swabs, me old mate, me old mucker :hug: I have had a word in the orcses shell-likes and watched the look of fear when I said that a certain Rangery-type person in the US had told them to 'lay off' Lol!!! Thank you, my friend.

Scots: Keep going, girl, it'll all be worth it in the end, I am sure

Hugs and more hugs to everyone and especially those I haven't mentioned. Oh, go on then, more hugs. Lol!!!!

Take extra special care :heart:

*sound of running feet, door opens, Rose slides to a stop.....puff.....pant*

I meant to say Neenime, I was stunned by your photos. Absolutely flipping marvellous!! :love:

*gathers skirt and heads off out the door again....*

[Edited on 27/6/2006 by Rosearialelven]
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2006 05:25
Those are some great pics, Neenime. How was the helo ride? I used to give A few lectures on the "Theory of Flight" and helicopters are much more difficult to explain than fixed-wing aircraft.

I wonder, have any of you ever been similarly crazy about anything besides Tolkien? Like "Star Trek" or "Star wars"? I haven't. I mean, I have many interests and have had A great deal of enthusiasm about different things, but I've never been so "into" A story before. But then, the "Lord of the Rings" is no ordinary story.

Except for my patience deficiency and quick temper, I think I might have made A good teacher of some sort, Awelyn. I do love talking to children and explaining things to them, and I'm quite at ease when in that situation. I'm sometimes afraid that people who don't know me will think I'm A "smarty-pants" or "know-it-all" because of my tendancy to elaborate during normal conversation. If I was A teacher, people would expect me to be that way, I think. It's just my nature to care more about what makes the sky blue than who got kicked off the island.

Try to stay cool Vicarcat. Rose, keep that flame-thrower iced down untill the time is right for A little toasting and roasting. Calle, balrog, scots, Mith, etc, Happy Tuesday! MT is probably having such A great time right now that she isn't even thinking about Rangers! How unusual is that? Swabby
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: June 27, 2006 06:12
Swabby, I've been a scifi fan since I was a kid, and I don't think it was odd to become a fan of some scifi shows. In my teens, I was totally hooked on Star Trek (the original series), swooning for Kirk and Spock in turns. And, although I was practically adult when the Star Wars original trilogy was released, I fell in love with those movies, and still watch them every now and then (I found the prequels quite disappointing though). But, LOTR, and Tolkien's works in general, have been the only ones that I've wanted to study and discuss with other people who like them so, they're very special in that respect.
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2006 07:14
Hi everyone

Re action figures of us girls, in my case the "action figure" would have a thickening waist, a few gray hairs and a lot of hot flushes - not quite the action I would like!

Football or soccer as a lot of you call it - not much longer to go thank goodness! I work in a room with 3 guys and there is a lot of talk about footie (over here it is more a guy thing).

Swabby glad you liked having your Granddaughter and I think you would make a good teacher. As for previous interests - yes I was a trekie and I liked a few other things as well but Tolkien always grabbed me and I used to dream about the day when they would get round to filming them.

Best wishes to everyone (I avoid putting down names cos I just know I would leave someone out and I don't mean to.

Love and hugs

HT:heart:
awelyn418
Send Message
on: June 27, 2006 12:17
Swabby, I was a Star Trek Next Generation fan for years but not like I am with LOTR. There is so much I get from the book and the movies. So, your granddaughter has went back home. I know you nust miss her. I am sure MTMS is having such a great time and I think she was going to visit Germany.

Morwin I agree that Tolkien's works are special in that respect . I feel the same way too.

Hello,Ht. How is your weather? It was good to see your post.

Have a good day. I have to go fix my evening meal.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2006 02:21
Good question Swabby. I do detect a pattern. I was a Trekkie in those days. Was a DUNE fan for awhile. A bit of Star Wars. Always a sci-fi fan then branched off into fantasy.

Big-time MILLENNIUM fanatic from 1997-2000 (FOX netwrok show - with Lance (Frank Black) Henriksen, Meghan Gallagher, Terry (Peter Watts) ?????. I ate, breathed, slept it and spent a lot of time on BBds with a fan group. In fact, that was my first experience of threads and such. Had a few minor flame wars with some fundamentalists on religious themes in the program. Ah, those were the days.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2006 02:32
Sending some Ranger thoughts across the sea to the Netherlands where now dwells MT, and some gentle hugs to Ara-baby!

Swabby, that is so cool you got to spend some quality time with your granddaughter. She sounds so precious, that is a fun age when they are learning so much. I've always loved Sci-fi especially when it's space travel, futuristic or medieval (swords, chain mall, dragons, knights/Rangers) themes. But nothing compares with Tolkien's works. Have never been obsessed with anything before but it's a good obsession that enhances my life.

I agree with you, Morwin, it is the only one I would want to study.

HT, we could always alter (or enhance if wanted?) our action figures. :angel:

We played nine holes of golf with a neighbor this afternoon. Was lots of fun. Had some good shots but didn't do great. Oh well, first time out this year and it was a beautiful day to be outdoors. But could have used some cooling dragon air from Rose.

Hi and hugs :hug: to everyone and hope you are having a good week and staying cool.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2006 03:10
Forgot to thank all of you who sent your compliments about my hubby's photos. So - HANNON LE. (or is the plural different?)

WARNING*** DA VINCI SPOILERS AHEAD***

Went to see THE DAVINCI CODE tonight and loved it! I thought the plot moved well and Hans Zimmer's music was excellent (as always). I reacted in all the appropriate spots, despite knowing the plot. . I thought the notorious Hanks hairstylet worked for an inteLlectual who is into esoteric stuff. Quite attractive actually.

The story was a fascinating mix of reality (Council of Nicea stuff) and speculation (Magdalen and Templar stuff). I didn't think it maligned OPUS DEI too badly. The nasty stuff was attributed to a fanatical wing of the group. A book I perused recently alleges the group had some clandestine financial dealings with a rich sherry family in Spain. It bears furtehr reading.

Loved the archetypal theme of coming home to one's true identity.

And no smarmy, hard-to-believe requisite love scenes betwen two people thrown together in a crisis. Loved the strong feminine character who was the protagonist's equal in every way (nice balance of masculine and feminine principles!)

I was insipied by the Divine Feminine theme as it is very close to my heart. I think it's on the cutting edge of Christianity today and therfore controversial. I intend to do some more reading.

<< First34567Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email