Register

<< First1011121314Last >>
Author Topic:
callë
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part VIII
on: September 29, 2006 09:50
Hiya. Its friday night and here I am, very tired from a long day at work. Husband and two sons went to see a film at the cinema, daughter is watching tv, and I am already sleepy. Busy tomorrow though as I plan a trip to Plymouth so I am checking in tonight.
Emmyarwin, I am between Stoke-on-trent and Leek. I have two teenagers, 16 and 17. Round two....as my first two are now 26 and 29. And yes, I do now colour my hair as too much of it is gray. But anyway, welcome here. you will not find another forum that could be more caring than the fellowship of this one.:love:
OK, I am up for the holiday cards. Do we exchange addresses through PM's or just post it?
Mith, now you and Scots are meeting up again? Oh, I am sooo envious.
Swabby, d'ya think that whiplash has loosened the bolts? If you feel your head isnt screwed on right, maybe you should back to get it checked out again. Only kidding.... I do hope you are feeling better and wont have any problems from the accident.
Ok, I am getting in a silly, sub-standard mood myself, and you wont believe how many times I have had to correct my typing. Time to say good night. :sleepy:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2006 12:38
No Grima kissing for me. No way, no how.

I had a lovely meeting with Mith this afternoon. Lots of good talk, and she is quite lovely! I was so excited! We decided that we were both just like high school/junior high school kids. LOL

Swabby, in regards to insurance company woes. I feel your pain...neck and insurance company wise. What I could say about a certain insurance company and their less than ethical but legal maneuverings would fill an entire web page! :angry: I have never been made to feel responsibility for an accident that wasn't my fault like I was here. It was so obvious that they were trying to trip me up by saying anything that could be construed as my fault. GRRRRRR Better get off that particular soapbox before my blood pressure spikes.

Last but not least...free spyware programs downloaded from online... I use Ad-Aware and Spy Bot. Both of them work well in conjunction with the program Spy Sweeper that I purchased. That program has caught several programs trying to hijack things from me, so I am more than glad to pay the $19 it took to renew my subscription (got it on sale at Best Buy. Gotta love it!)

Well, must pull out the old heating pad tonight. Man, these accidents have long range problems. *sigh* It may make a radical out of me yet! LOL Well, maybe not.

Take good care, all
Scots
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2006 01:22
Hi everyone,

I think last year everyone who wanted to participate e-mailed their address to my COE e-mail and then I sent the entire list to everyone who had sent their address. Since some of us are in new places (Mith, will you still be there at Christmas?) and we have some new faces, shall we restart the list?

My master list is on my desktop. If everyone who wants to participate sends their address to me by Oct. 31 (BOO!) I'd be willing to create the list again and send it back to evryone.

Sindy
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2006 03:32
sindy, thanks for being in charge of the addresses for holiday cards. My addy is the same and I certainly want to participate!
Back to Viggo/Jesus: I wouldn't mind the V-man doing a laying on of hands. :love:

RANGER NIGHT, Tom!! You surely know how to get a girls' heart beating fast.
Good luck with you kitchen re-do. Wish mine was at the same phase of it's "life."

He is "heavenly indeed", neenime. I feel the need for a dose of "vitamin V". Perhaps I should wath ROTK.:heart:

Welcome emmy! :wave: There are some parts of your avatar that I ADORE!!:heart: And then there are those "other" parts. It's a shieldmaiden thing! And no, I did not draw moustaches on the Arwen pictures at the LOTR exhibition, even though I had black marks on my hands! :nono:

I've said the same thing to Aragorn in that scene with Eowyn, mith. We shieldmaidens think alike, especially when it comes to thoughts of our rugged ranger!

Hope your week off was great, HT. Did yo do any writing?

Hope that you have alot of fun with your grandchildren, awelyn. You are so lucky to have them close by and they are blessed to have you as their grandmother.

Prayer works, cat. I am so glad for your friend!

Saying a teacher's prayer for you, scots! Know that you thoroughly enjoyed spending time with mith. I know she's a delightful gal.

I am ready for our moot, calle. Feels as if I need to lay eyes and arms around these members of FoF family that I haven't met yet.

Attack monkeys, swabby??? I could send you some off-the-wall kindergarteners. They can be just as frightening, let me assure you.
A combination of Viggo, Santa and Sean sounds like my soul mate. You just may be in my dreams tonight, swabby.

MT

awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: September 29, 2006 04:27
I am so sentimental as I was reading the posts I thought this is like being home with family. I am very envious of Jess and Neenime and Scots and Mith but happy at the same time at your good fortune.

Sindy count me in for the Christmas card exchange. I just loved it last year. This rest of the FOF ers that don't want to give out their address I send e-mail cards to them.

Scots I am so glad you and Mith got to meet and I am glad you had some fun after your stressful week.

Calle I am tired too. I find if I don't eat healthy I have no energy and I ate so very unhealthy tonight. I need to stop being so naughty :naughty: and eat better. So, I am so tired too . I am going to bed early.

MTMS, I will have fun . I sometimes feel sorry for myself because my grandchildren live so far away but then you help me put things in prospective. Thank you and I am sorry yours don"t live closer.
I am ready for a moot myself. I am going to start saving money.

Swabby are you taking pain medication? Take care of yourself.

Rose, I am having sniffles but I will live:heart: . My daughter is 36 my son is 34. My youngest is 23 will be 24 October 5th. You are lucky to have met those COE members. Rose what do you think about Apple computer? I am thinking about getting one.
Have a great night. I am off to bed .
jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2006 05:46
Oh my goodness, am I ever missing a lot. Had to go to Vancouver unexpectedly for a few days and came back just in time to meet Neenime for coffee. I am so happy to meet a fellow FOFer. We had a great time, both of us I think we are definitely kindred spirits. Unbelievable that the two of us live in the small town of Thunder Bay! :disco: Cannot wait until we meet again.

Emmyarwen: Many welcomes to you. Coromamin lindua elle lle (my heart sings to see you) :wave:

Scots: Its great that you and Mith met up. Hope you had as good a time as Neenime and I did.

Sindy: Would love to participate in the card exchange. Will definitely send you my e-mail address

Swabby: So sad to hear about the accident. I do hope everything is Ok with you and your son. I remember the day I realised that my eldest son had discovered girls. He had just got out of the shower and yelled, "Hey mom, can I borrow your deodorant." Definitely a desperate teen.

Have not read all the posts yet, but will later. All of you that believe in the higher power. Pray for a young friend of mine. She's 25 and a mom and in desperate need of a kidney transplant. We're holding a benefit for her tomorrow night and hoping to raise a bunch of cash, which she needs to be able to stay in Toronto after she receives her kidney for 3 months.

Gotta go get my beauty sleep. Not that it does me much good these days!!! lol :yawn:
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2006 07:09
Had the most wonderful visit with Scots today. Was also so excited...yes, we were like two schoolgirls. She is a beautiful person and I am so happy to have met her in person. And to all who are anxiously awaiting the kitchen report...the cabinets are indeed finished and beautifully painted and the new floor tile looks great as well. She made me feel right at home in her warm and lovely home, as did Raisin, her cat.

Sindy, I will use my home address, the same as last year. We should be home for Christmas, although there is always the possibility the job here could be extended. But in any case, I have a neighbor who collects and sends my mail once a week or more. I'll send you the address.

I laughed so much reading your post, Swabby! A dreamy combination, for sure!

Awelyn, hope you are having lots of fun with your grandchildren. You are fortunate to have some of them close.

Oh, MT, talk about Viggo laying on hands, what good bedtime thoughts. Only in my dreams he may look a bit more like Santa or Sean. Imagine how crazy it would be if we had the chance to watch the LOTR together!

Getting a bit sleepy here and my brain is not focusing. Good night, all my friends! :yawn: :sleepy: :hug:

scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2006 08:10
Time: Saturday morning 1:07 a.m.

What the heck am I doing up so late you ask?? Just finished watching A History of Violence. You're so right, LOVED the stair scene. I'm just gonna have to smile each and every time I take the stairs up to my reading room from now on. :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Good night all!
Scots
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2006 12:13
Saturday morning here too, scots, but a little more of a civilised hour. Lol. 11:00 am. Glad you enjoyed the movie. Did you like the twist at the end. And it wasn't until I watched it a second or third time, that I realised the people were of Irish connections. Lol!! I just assumed it was the Mafia. Silly me. :dizzy:

Thanks Sindy, for doing the Card List. My addy is still the same. Just a scary thought....12 weeks to Christmas

Awelyn: Good to hear you are none the worse for your drenching. As far as computers are concerned, I am really no expert. I have heard good and bad reviews of Apple comps. I think it depends what you want to do on it. Some computers are capable of different things, I think. Like the Macintosh. Sorry, I can't be of more help. I think buying a computer is, to quote Forrest Gump, like buying a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get. Lol!!

Wonderful to read about the meetings between FoFers.

Have a good weekend, all. Off to tidy up and do some shopping.

Byeee

Rosie xx
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: September 30, 2006 01:02
Hi everyone. I'm Cirdaneth, widow of a one-time shipwright. (Yarrow's). I live in the Derbyshire Peak District, not too far from Rosie and Calle. It's a National Park, full of ME type scenery, so if you're planning a visit let me know and I can point you at good eateries etc.

Fresh runner-beans and raspberries today from my neighbour's plot. They like me to keep them picked when they are away. Such a chore!!
jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2006 01:42
:wave: Many welcomes Cirdaneth (love the name). Wish I could join you picking raspberries. Mmmh, having visions of warm raspberry pie & icecream (the diet is killing me)

I've not seen History of Violence yet. But I think I have to rent it sometime this week and see what its all about. You all have me intrigued. Anyway, its the ranger, so its got to be a definite droolfest! :drool:

My visit to Aus this Christmas to see my new granddaughter has had to be postponed :cry: :sob: Lots of stuff going on, not least the move at the end of this month. So hopefully I'll be going now in March. The only advantage to this is that I MIGHT be down the 45 lbs I'm trying to lose. Love to be elf slim, but if I can stuff the bod into a size 12 swimsuit - well I will be soooo happy.

Neenime has got me interested in elvish script. So I'm going to try my hand at making a welcome sign for my new door in sindarin. Will probably take me a while, but when I finish it I'll try posting it. Neenime I will have to run it by you, don't want to be saying anything I should'nt!

I'm going back to bed. Need more shut eye. Besides I can dream of Rangers and raspberry cheesecake, yum.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2006 04:04
I slept a little late this morning. Whew, did I need the extra rest! It's tough on an old guy like me hopping from dream to dream lugging that sack of toys, and those cursed STAIRS! Couldn't you gals have your nocturnal shinnanigans on the living room couch? The only easy part was driving the Astin Martin. Boy, I just don't know if I can maintain this level of dedication for long.

The highschool dance is over and a certain reluctant teenager did go. I saw multitudes of extremely cute young ladies pouring into the place as I dropped him off and I thought "Oh, if I could just be 16 again", and then my son gets out of the car and acts as if he's being made to walk the plank. I'm trying now to remember any tell-tale signs of the mailman or milkman having been in my house back in the fall of 1990.
When I picked him up after just one hour (it lasted two) he told me "I hope you know I just sat by myself all that time".

I'm not taking anything as a result of the whiplash, Awelyn, but I was given a prescription for some kind of pain-reliever. Yesterday I started getting a stabbing pain on my right temple and I still have a slightly stiff neck, so I may end up going back to see a doctor come monday.

How terrific it must be for those lucky few of you who have been able to have a face-to-face meet-up. I've got my brother reading the books, so he may become the closest thing I've got to a "fellow fanatic". I know he is really trying hard to be my "friend" after our five year estrangement.

I'm going to drag my son out of his room again tonight so we can go hear my brother play some classic rock music at a benefit concert. He's filling in untill they can find a replacement for their lead guitar player who recently quit. He says he's been playing off and on with these guys for a few years, but they're all young (in their 40's) and he's three years younger than me (55) so they tire him out with their late hours and beer-drinking.

I want you to know, jessamyn, that you and these other ladies who worry about your weight all the time have a beauty that goes beyond your physical being. I can honestly say that because I only know you all from your words, and have never met any of you. Every time I watch those extra dvd's and I see Philipa Boyens, I think "Boy, I'd like a little cuddle with her!". She's not skinny but she gets my attention.

Welcome to you cirdaneth! Please hang out with us mature folks and you'll not regret it! (Unless you're allergic to love) I'm Swabby, the least mentally stable of the bunch, but I'm quite harmless.

If I'm to maintain my Santa Clause physique I'm going to have to close now and go get myself some breakfast! Besides, I'm going to need my strength for whatever awaits me tonight in dreamland. Like Frodo and the ring, it is my burden to bear.:love: Have a great Saturday! Swabby
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: September 30, 2006 04:14
Hello FoF!

Scots and Mith, it's great that you had a chance to meet! I would have been surprised if you wouldn't have come along!

Emmy, I don't think that I've welcomed you yet. You're from Oxford? I've visited the city twice now, meeting a bunch of other Tolkien nuts (none were from CoE, though). I have teenage kids as well, and they're definitely giving me grey hairs!

Welcome to Cirdaneth as well! Nice to get new people to the club!

Sindy, I'm in for the Christmas card exchange this year too; if you don't have my address from last year, please PM me.

Jessamyn, hope that you'll really get to see your granddaughter in March. It might actually be a better time weatherwise, not so hot (at least that's what my Australian friends say).

Awelyn, I hope you're having a good time with your grandkids!

Have a nice weekend, everybody! :hug:
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2006 06:23
Hi everyone

Welcome Emmy and Cirdaneth you have found the maddest nicest people on the planet!

Swabby

Your son sounds just very shy and its easier to communicate with people at a distance sometimes (after all we do it don't we?) I sure he will grow out of it you are doing just fine.

Love and hugs

HT:heart:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2006 09:43
Welcome, cirdaneth! This is a wonderfully uniue, talented, loving group of Tolkien devotees. We also have alot of fun. Make yourself at home and please tell us more about yourself. :wave:

How wonderful for you to meet up with neenime, Jess. I surely want to get together with some of the wonderful folk of FoF!
I am praying for your friend. Hope you can hold out until March to see your grandchild. I see mine once a year and I know how long the time is between the visits and how short the time is that I am there.
Rangers and raspberries make wonderful dreams!!:heart::love:

My dreams would come true, mith, if we could watch LOTR together. Know that there is another Michigan Moot coming up in June and you're invited!!

What a man he is, scots !! Lots of good moments to hit the pause button and take in some gorgeous manflesh!:evil::love:

Speaking of gorgeous manflesh, swabby, it may be that your handsome son is a bit bewildered by females. We gals can be a bit hard to understand. With a bit more experience under his belt (Oh, I didn't mean it like THAT!), I'm sure he'll be the Cassanova that his father was/is.
Try not to stay out too late tonight. You've got those rounds to make. And don't forget the ranger and raspberries, please. I've been a verrrry good girl!:evil:

MT
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2006 11:22
Whew! Just got done writing a three page anecdotal record on a student. There are some days that even with the huge raise in pay and benefits, it's SO not worth it. *sigh*

Cirdaneth: Welcome to the madness! I live in the PoG (Plains of Gorgoroth--formerly known as the state of Nebraska, U.S.A.). It's pretty boring around here truth be told.

Swabby, I would have to heartily agree with the intimidation factor of middle school/early high school girls. We were a scary lot as I recall. Recall, heck, I see it every day! It's a wonder that they get together at all. I am so glad I raised a son! Hormonal adolescent girls are just too much sometimes. I'll bet he feels safer with them at a distance; I know I do. I'm thinking that I'm going to need vaccinations sometime soon so I don't catch adolescent-itis. That and he was not going to have a good time just to prove you wrong. Darn you, Dad--trying to make him have a good time in life. How could you??!! This too shall pass, just as the evil of the Ring. A short bump in the road of romance.

Well, the ribs are calling. What, you ask? Me cook! NEVER! There's a rib place not too far from us with pretty good ribs. Not great, but a whole lot better than I could ever scare up.

Take good care.
Scots
emmyarwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2006 11:40
Mae govannan, jessamyn, and thank you for the welcome. I will pray for your friend who needs a kidney transplant. Hope that gets done really soon.

Welcome Cirdaneth. I am sure you will enjoy your time here.

hello HeriTavari! thank you I am looking forward to getting to know everyone here.

Morwinyoniel, so you have been to Oxford to meet fans. would they be in the Tolkien Society? I have never actually met that group though I haveheard they exist. Are you in England too?

Wow it is really great that some of you have met up. I do not know many other Tolkien fans (well apart my children's freinds). l
[Edited on 30/9/2006 by emmyarwen]

sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2006 11:53
Swabby, don't give up yet on sonny-boy: it's the nature of the beast. The girls are all 15 going on 45 and the boys are running for their lives. If the girls have called, believe me, they all know he is alive, and probably spent the second hour of the dance wondering where he went.

Mae govannen, new folks!

Holiday card update. For anyone new and newly participating, it's old fashioned real mail cards so it's your home mailing address I'm after (probably need a real name unless your postal person will deliver to your Elvish one).

Magoleth
Morwenna
MinasTirithMs
Morwinyoniel
Rosearialelven
Awelyn418
Neenime
Miththoliel
Sindarinelvish

This is my names list from last year. Anyone who needs added or updated please e-mail me either here or at [email protected].

(By the way, Swabby was afeared of the "repaircussings" he would get from Mrs. Swabby if a flock of cards arrived from a bevy of beautiful shield maidens. I think you should get a PO Box, my dear.) :love:

Hey, sailor, get yourself to the doctor!

Have a beautiful autumnal Saturday. No paper grading today, Scots (although I've done a few myself.)

Sindy
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2006 12:25
Hey dol! merry dol! and welcome to our new friends, cirdaneth and emmyarwen! :wave:

We are a silly lot, so come in and be silly with us!

I slept a little late this morning. Whew, did I need the extra rest! It's tough on an old guy like me hopping from dream to dream lugging that sack of toys, and those cursed STAIRS! Couldn't you gals have your nocturnal shinnanigans on the living room couch? The only easy part was driving the Astin Martin. Boy, I just don't know if I can maintain this level of dedication for long.
An Astin Martin? Is it a gold one with the shield thingy that pops up in the back and the machine guns that pop out of the headlights? Cool!

I got a tip for you: Instead of hiking up all those stairs, just jump in the air and fly up them. It makes things A LOT easier.

Every time I watch those extra dvd's and I see Philipa Boyens, I think "Boy, I'd like a little cuddle with her!". She's not skinny but she gets my attention.
It's that cute Kiwi accent and that infectious giggle of hers. And she's so passionate about Tolkien! I can see why you'd want to cuddle with her, Swabby.

With a bit more experience under his belt (Oh, I didn't mean it like THAT!), I'm sure he'll be the Cassanova that his father was/is.
LOL!

I had an arborist peruse the trees in my front and backyard. To get them all whipped into shape (or cut down where appropriate) it'll cost about $900 USD. All told that's pretty reasonable, but added to the expense of my kitchen renovation it just seems like a lot.

I really enjoyed talking with the guy. I wonder how one becomes an arborist? I think that would be such a cool occupation, and being in the outdoors has a lot of appeal to me after spending the last 15 years crammed in a cubicle for nearly all of the work day. Of course there's a lot of learning that must take place...

brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2006 01:20
My goodness, my absence of the last several days has been terribly vexing. I have not had a moment to get online with anyone. Heri Tavaril I couldn't have said it any better "...maddest, nicest people on the planet!" That we truly are.
Cirdaneth and Emmyarwen: Welcome to Fans Over Forty. It's a great place with caring, lovely people.

Mith So glad you got to meet Scots. She is totally awesome.

Swabby sorry to hear about the accident. Providence put you between that teenager and the pedestrian. Thank goodness you and your son are okay.

Sindarinelvish :May I call you Sindy? Thanks for being in charge of the card list. I will be sending along my addy so you can addy me to the list.

Calle Love the avatar.

Morwinyoniel thanks for the info about pictures and posting in the gallery. I'll try again to get them in the right place.

Rose You may be the oldest but I don't think of you as a dragon. You're awesome.

This is getting rather long and I really should stop so, I will just let you all know that all is well in Idaho, U.S.A. It's a quiet Saturday, probably the last warm one for the year. It's in the 80's outside. Cooling trend on the way.
Took the little kiddies in the 3rd and 4th grade on a field trip to the Old State Pen, the Idaho Historical Museum and the Boise Zoo on Thursday. It was exhausting but worth it.
I'll stop now and maybe post later on. Good autumn day to you all.
Brandywine
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2006 04:42
MT
Back to Viggo/Jesus: I wouldn't mind the V-man doing a laying on of hands.

You said, it Shield-Sister! His touch would raise almost any woman from the dead!

Jess , your greeting
Coromamin lindua elle lle (my heart sings to see you)
sound so musical! I must check the correct stress and the learn to say it "trippingly off the tongue".

Oh, and by the way, don't ever think you're not attractive. You've a very warm presence and your effective use of colour, texture and the jewellry accessories really works!

Sindythanks for volunteering to do the list. My info is the same.

Cirdaneth and Emmyarwen Mae govannen! So good to see some new peple here. Not that there is anything wrong with the "old ones", but I love to share the wealth.

My costume is slowly coming together. No ears, yet, but got the long black wig. It's almost too long at 60"(about my height!). Tried to make little braids with the front parts but the hair is too long and got all tangled. I'll just use some jewellry as headpieces and hope for a good effect.

Nighty-night,all. :yawn: Even tho TTT is on the TV tonight, my eyes are failing and I need to sleep. May you all dream of your favourite Elf, Man, dwarf mermaid or whatever!

And a prayer for Jess's friend. :angel:
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2006 05:18
Thanks for all the prayers for my friend. The Saturday night benefit was a big success. Lots of people, so hopefully lots of cash. But the music was heavy metal and LOUD!!!! Not for these old ears!! She has to stay in Toronto for about 3 months after the transplant and its not covered, so that's what the cash is for. Hoping a match comes along soon.

Neenime: Thanks for the compliment. We may be older but we can still show the youngsters a thing or two, don't yah think!

Rose: Age is just a state of mind. Some people are old at 20 and others are still young at 80. Its all in your outlook on life. Remember even dragons have the most beautiful irridescent scales and even on bad days, they're still hot - and I don't mean hot flushes!!!

Emmyarwen: I went to Magdalene College, Oxford and spent many happy/not so happy student days there. A truly beautiful city and I am a member of the Tolkien Society, but I really don't do anything to much with it anymore.

Swabby: Thanks so much for trying to cheer me up re: THE DIET. Just realised what the first three letters in THAT word spell and that is just how I feel about the whole thing. Is'nt it weird how cravings get worse when you can't have what you really want. Like the elvish looks, figure, Viggo, Sean, Swabby etc., etc. Did I really say that. I can't believe I said that!! Ah well, back to dreaming. :blush:

Sleep tight all.
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2006 09:48
Aiya Cirdaneth and Emmyarwen!

Jess I have been praying for your friend and will continue to do so.

I have been busy since St Michaels feast was held on Saturday rather then on thursday as was traditional...

I came back from Saturday Market with oak leaves in my ears and
on a necklace along with a diadem with leaves and jewels...
[I found a little Mermaid who does fantastic jeweled and enameled work]
Silverleaf's reaction was the statement of
"I wondered when you would do that..." like he had expected it of me.?.
Elves like Dervishes do not force a path on anyone.
I did mention to Silverleaf that he could drop occasional favorable hints...
regarding right path actions... mysterious Elves sigh.

Other then that it has all been homework and volunteering at Nightwatch,
with occasional shopping to get necessities.
Except for the Swabby/Ranger dreams of course...

I did get a letter from Randi and I will send my response later today.

Is late and I've to be up early so better cat nap.

I hope everyone's Sunday is great!:love: :hug: !!!

Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2006 03:08
:wave: Cirdaneth, sooo glad you came to join us here is our little corner of CoE. :love: I am sure that must be such a chore, picking rasberries and runner beans. And who knows, I might just pop over to your neck of the woods.

Jess: You will not be disappointed in the movie. That's a shame you won't make your visit to Oz, and you are moving again! As far as my age is concerned, I have absolutely no problems. Lol!! It gets a bit frustrating sometimes, when I can't do everything I used to do with ease, but I still have a go, to the groaning of muscles. Lol!! Your friend is in my prayers.

Regarding being a dragon. If you missed my explanation, ooh must be threads ago now. I have two extra ribs that sit just above my collarbones. Doing a bit of research, apart from strictly medical stuff, I found that these ribs stem back to prehistoric times and flying dinosaurs/dragons. These were the nubs that would form the wings. Soooo, I was meant to be a dragon. Lol!!

swabby: Yes, get to the doctor's. Please. I giggled at your description of your son, walking the plank. Typical teenager sulky face and draggin feet, I imagine. :rolleyes: But I think you are on the right track in the way you are handling him.

Talking of Santa, I ride the bus to work on occasion with that very gentleman. He actually does look like Santa and does appearances over the Christmas period. I asked could I take a pic of him, when it gets nearer the holidays, as he grows his beard and hair more. You see the looks he gets from people. I remember one little girl being mesmerised. Lol!!

:hug:s scots. Hope the ribs were good. And your brain is recovering from doing the student record. :hug:

Thanks again, Sindy, for taking on the Card List. :love:

Hi Tom: Silly!! Us!! Nah! Careful with the trees, Tom, Treebeard might be watching.

Brandeeeee: :hug: Hi. I'm a friendly dragon, pet. Well, unless someone gets me riled. :evil:

Neenime: You will be taking pics of your costume, won't you, dear. Must see. :love:

Cat: Love the sound of your newly acquired jewellery. Very Elvish.

Happy Sunday everyone. I am going to relax now, with a pipe. Lol!!

Rosie/Dracella xxx
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2006 03:51
Another rough night for this busy guy. It was a little more than an hour's drive south to the tiny little town where my brother was playing. They closed off the center of town and had bands playing on the bed of a large trailor. It was after midnight when I finally got to bed and began my second tour of duty.

I thought it was a good sign yesterday when a local girl telephoned my son. They talked for a long time.

Fresh peaches have been in season for a while, and yesterday I made a kind of peach up-side down cake that really turned out well. In a shallow pan I put butter (margarine) and brown sugar then layered in fresh sliced peaches. A little cinnamon over that, some pecans and then I poured a "cake" batter over that that I made from ordinary pancake mix. I added to the mix one egg, corn oil, sugar and buttermilk. I baked it at 400 degrees F untill browned on top. Everyone really liked it.

I couldn't agree with you more about the age thing being a state of mind, Jess. Also, I hope your friend has a good outcome. She is much too young to be so ill.

I'v been forgetting to say hello to my fellow poet HT. Hello HT!
How's things in the great city of Edinburgh?

That sounds a bit "tree-ish" Vicarcat, "leaves in your ears". Have you been drinking from a spring in the woods? If so, could I buy a pint of that water from you? I'm thinking it might strengthen my back, which has really been getting a workout lately.

I'd like to say more this morning, but I'm just too pooped. Have a nice, relaxing Sunday my friends. Swabby

Hello Rose! I didn't know about your extra ribs. That is really interesting. You were "right-on" about my son--- his long face and draggin feet.

[Edited on 1/10/2006 by swabby]
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: October 01, 2006 04:31
Hello all!

It's been a rainy day here, and there was a even a thunderstorm about an hour ago. Not much fun in poking one's nose outside so, it's a good afternoon for surfing the web...

Emmy, I'm from Finland. It hasn't been the Oxonmoot of the Tolkien Society that I've attended, just a very unofficial gathering of people who post on another Tolkien messageboard (theonering.com). Some years ago, a few of them got the idea of arranging a moot in Oxford, and it became an annual tradition. Most of the participants are from the British Isles of course, but there are also people from other European countries, and sometimes even some Americans; last year, there was one participant from Australia who was touring Europe at that time. We actually talk very little Tolkien in those meetings, but mostly concentrate on general socializing.

Jessamyn, it's great that the benefit was successful! I'm wishing all the best for your friend!

Swabby, the phone call from a local girl to your son looks like a good sign. At that age, members of the opposite sex sure feel like aliens from another planet, although they're strangely interesting...

Got to move on - have a nice and peaceful Sunday, everybody! :hug:
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2006 04:58
Suilad, (Hello) my dear friends,
How I have missed all of you the past two weeks! (Randi looks around to make sure that Grima is nowhere near) This is the first time I have had a chance to get online in..seems like ..forever!! *sends a hug to everyone*
I have not yet had a chance to read the posts..but hope that everone is doing ok...
We have a new baby at the farm! :disco: Susie Q pulled a sneaky and had her baby nearly a month early!! The baby is small..but doing well now...at first we had to milk the mare and bottle feed the baby..but she is now nursing well on her own! She is a little red roan..with a white blanket on her rump..and a white star on her forehead...
As of last night when I left the farm..Bain Caraniel..my Arabian mare had not yet had her baby..but she may have by now!!
:hug:
all of you take care..:wave:
Randi
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2006 05:53
Hi Randi and welcome back.

Oh, you must take pics of the foals. Would love to see them.

We have rain now Morwin and it's fairly chilly. Is the Autumn faerie about her work?

Leaves on trees try hard to linger.
The Autum faerie points her finger.
Rain and storms and chilly breezes.
Hope these don't mean coughs and sneezes.

Hues of yellow, red and gold.
Autumn's beauty to behold.
Hallowe'en, witches and black cats,
Pumpkin lanterns, spooks and bats.

October passes and we greet November.
The 5th and 15th, we should remember,
The UK ~ Bonfire Night and burning the Guy.
The US ~ Thanksgiving, turkey, pumpkin pie.

Now December and winter looms.
Fires burn brightly in cosy rooms.
Thoughts of Christmas, wreaths of holly,
Baubles, tinsel, all things jolly.

Dear ones and near ones come to mind.
Cards to buy and gifts to find.
We raise our glasses to absent friends.
Wishing for happiness that never ends.

Hugs to everyone.

Rosie xxx
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2006 06:16
Rosie! *hugs*
Thanks for the welcome back..I have missed all of you here SOOOO much! And look forward to the time when I can be online everyday!!
I love your little poem! You and Swabby are SO talented! Wish I could have some of that kind of talent!! But I was bypassed when that was passed out! lol Not sure exactly where my talents lie...anything outdoorsy..I guess!
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2006 07:32
Hi everyone

For you Swabby (I am flattered to be called a fellow poet!)

Hi there from this place of mine
Which used to be called Dunedin
Which is as I'm sure you know
A place where Rangers want to go!

I happen to think Edinburgh is the best place in this world to live but then I am biased!

Today we have had rain and sun and rainbows but the weather isn't at all bad for the 1 October its quite warm I still haven't put on the central heating yet. I heard on the news fuel prices are going up again! I am fortunate that I have a decent job but when it gets cold some old people here struggle to afford to keep warm. The government does give what it calls cold weather payments and its better than nothing but I feel its scandalous that in a wealthy country like ours that people die of cold in the winter.

Off the soap box now!

Back to work tomorrow I feel almost ready after my week off.

I read the latest Terry Pratchett this week "Wintersmith" he is my favourite living author if you haven't read him give him a go he is brill and very funny.

Love and hugs to all my friends old and new

HT:heart:
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2006 11:09
Summer has returned here. It's about 90 outside and supposed to be quite hot the next couple days. I'm ready to head to your pool, Awelyn, as they have closed the outdoor ones here.

Although if rangers are heading your way, HT, would certainly love to head there also! What say you, MT and other fellow shield gals?

Randi, that is so cool hearing about the foals. I'd also love to see photos.

Rose, loved your poem. We have so much talent in here...enjoy all the poems and posts.

Mae govannen, Cirdaneth! Fresh raspberries are one of my favorites. It is great to have you join us.

Sounds like you have been one busy sailor lately, Swabby. Perhaps a lighter load of gifts in your bag and a few less stairs would help. Glad to hear your son was talking to a local gal...sounds like things are heading in the right direction. That peach upside down cake sounded delicious. We get fresh peaches late Summer in Ohio so will keep that in mind for next year. Oh, and thanks for all the lovely things you say about us ladies.

Wanted to say thanks to you, Sindy, for doing the address list again!

It has been a busy Sunday and almost hobbit feeding time. Take care, all my friends and enjoy what is left of the weekend. Love and hugs! :heart::love: :hug:
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2006 11:26
Hi Tom: Silly!! Us!! Nah! Careful with the trees, Tom, Treebeard might be watching.
No need to worry about that, Rosie gal. Old Tom is mighty fond of trees and wouldn't have one put to rest unless he was doing the poor old thing a kindness.

It hasn't been the Oxonmoot of the Tolkien Society that I've attended, just a very unofficial gathering of people who post on another Tolkien messageboard (theonering.com).
So you're a member of TORC, too, eh Morwinyoniel? While many folks have left since the last of Peter Jackson's LOTR movies have aired, there are still some of us who have stuck around. Some of the folks who used to post on TORC post on a few other messageboards now, so I now post on a couple of them, too. Thirty of us had a moot in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago.

I thought it was a good sign yesterday when a local girl telephoned my son. They talked for a long time.
That is a good sign, Swabby. It's good to know your lad is doing okay.
emmyarwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2006 11:45
Wow there are so many posts and so many names to remeber. Please forgive me if I get a bit muddled up.

I had to smile at the report about the tree person and Tom Bombadil considering training as one. we have a great old Willow in our front garden and my husband (pratical person that he is) decided he needed to get rid of it so that its roots would not damage the foindations of the house and also so that he would not need to go on sweeping up the copious leaves in the autumn. The children and I were heartbroken and tried to persuade him otherwise but he would not change his mind. However when the tree surgeon arrived he was troubled and asked me "Why would you want to fell this tree? It is happy where it is and it is has been here longer than you have. It would be wrong and expensive to fell it." I was delighted. He assured us that the tree would not go into the foundations of the house and that it was healthy and would go on and on. Hurray! We were so delighted. We are hoping to build some sort of tree house round the tree now and there is a swing that we all use hanging from one of the branches.

Morwinyoniel , that is great that you meet up with the other people from the board. And in Oxford too!

Jess, I know someone here who was inthat society too when he was at university though I think he is not involved any more. Life just gets too busy.

[Edited on 1/10/2006 by emmyarwen]

[Edited on 1/10/2006 by emmyarwen]
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2006 02:22
Rose- what a cool story about the origin of your alter ego! I missed that earlier. Thanks for repeating it. I had assumed that you were woman of tremendously good taste and imagination, and therefore had a natural affinity for dragons!

Cat - hope you’ve had a good Sunday. You work so hard at your volunteer activities and school, that you must be sure to look after yourself well!

The necklace sounds cool. I am looking for necklaces to wear as headpieces with my Elvish costume.

Jess- diets are such a pain, aren't they? I don’t use them because there is no way that I would stick to one! I lost weight by reducing portion sizes, and cutting back on starchy carbohydrates and increasing exercise. I hope that yours works out well for you.

And as for the age thing – ditto on the others’ comments

And I am glad that the benefit went well. Were your ears ringing after all that loud music?

Emyarwen, I’ll tell you my secret for remembering Who’s Who here (but don't tell the others). I wrote out a little chart that has everyone’s name, location, and a few bits of personal info that they have shared. And when I read posts I either jot a note or two on paper or simultaneously open up a word processing program and go back and forth between screens. So there you go – it works for me.

I had PMS today and was not fit company for my hubby, who wanted to go photo shooting with a friend. Instead, I read, walked the dog and worked with my dreams. Then I went to see a children's theatre do EAST OF THE SUN, WEST Of THE MOON. I laughed a lot, had coffee with a dear friend (at Seattle again, Jess) and the black cloud went away. *my darling husband is much relieved! hehehe *

Love to all. Haver a good sleep and may our week be full mof good things :hug:
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: October 01, 2006 02:37
I'm back. I sent a post on my husband 's lap top yesterday but it was not posted. My monitor on my computer went kaput yesterday. The electric went off 3 times in 3 second intervals after that it would not work. I have a new monitor now.

Hello Randi, you sound like you have been very busy. I missed you. Did you get my letter? I am glad you are back for a while. I would like to see photos of the new foal.

Sindy, I want to participate and my address is the same.

Scots three pages. My goodness I just hate paper work. I hope you have a good week.

Mith and all those that hoped I was having a good time with my grandchildren I DID.

Hello emmyarwen That was a great story about the tree. I am glad it did not get cut down. A swing in a tree man that takes me back.

Mith it has been very warm here and my husband did not put our cover on yet and I am tempted to jump in that pool. You have a good weekend.

MTMS I can't remember all you said but I am so glad you are back. You help me to be grateful that I get to see my grandkids as often as I do. Thanks for the wake-up call.

HT just ease back in to work. I agree that Edinburgh is a pretty city. I saw it on the travel channel.

Old_Tom_ Bombadil that does sound like a interesting occupation. It would be nice to be a tree herder.

Swabby, that is a good sign that he is talking on the phone to a girl. He will work it out just let nature take its course. You take care of yourself my friend.

Rose I loved that big dragon. I loved the poem, now who wrote it?

Morwin I know you wrote a post but I can't remember what you said so hello and have a good night. I think you said something about having a teenager.

Hello Jess I am glad you had a good time with Neenime . I am exhausted and can't think I will write tomorrow.

Hello Cirdaneth, you will like it here. We listen we give advice if you ask for it. We are not judgmental but are friendly and tolerant. So, welcome.

Cat it sounds like you found a bargain. They sound lovely.

Goodnight and if I have forgot someone I am sorry.
<< First1011121314Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email