Register

<< First1213141516Last >>
Author Topic:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part VIII
on: October 04, 2006 04:56
I'm sorry to have to tell you this MT. I would write you a prescription for a Ranger back-rub and pattycake session, but I'm not a real doctor. Any prescription I wrote would immediately be identified as fake because it would be much too legible. I'm sorry, you must be very disappointed in me.

Re the furniture thing. Your words are comforting to me, Neenime. I'll leave it at that.

I grew up in a hunting culture and used to do a little of it myself, although I never was very good at it. We actually did need the meat or fish that I could sometimes bring home when I was a kid. I was much better at fishing than hunting. I guess it's been over 40 years since I went hunting and I have no desire to do so anymore. I'd rather shoot animals with a camera now.

I took my little car to the body shop this morning and they said it would take them about ten days to fix it. In the meantime I have to drive a rather large, gadget-encrusted rental car that barely fits in my garage.

Tommy is still sick and staying home from school today. The poor boy threw up his oatmeal on the carpet yesterday---boy was that hard to clean up! (I had to go get my shop vacuum)

I hope you all have a great day, Swabby
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2006 06:40
Geeze, Swabby, sailor, ranger, santa, secret agent, cook, husband, father, etc.....no wonder there is no time to be a doctor. Just know you are loved for what you are! Hope Tommy is feeling better and no more messes to clean up.

The LA Renfest sounds like fun, MT. I'll be with you in spirit, okay?

As for "things", being away from home so much keeps me from getting too attached to anything. And it adds an new appreciation for all the simple "things" we take for granted. And of course, I appreciate and treasure each and every one of the FOF. It is like you are with me everywhere.

Love and hugs to you all! :heart::love: :hug:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2006 09:13
Rose – I know what you mean about the shooter. Roberts must have been a tortured soul. I believe that there must be something fundamentally wrong with someone who would do that. And the wrong is either in basic wiring from the word GO ( some sociopaths seem to be that way) or something truly awful that happened later. I am willing to bet that his abuse of the relatives when he was 12 is related to some abuse that he himself endured. It leaves black marks on some people’s souls and many never recover.

I know that a lot of twisted, hurtful people have been abused in childhood. By no means does that excuse their hurtful behaviour. I have worked actively with abuse survivors as my specialty area for over 15 years. Most of them do NOT victimize others.

No doubt the story of Mr. Roberts will unfold over time and some parts of it will never be told. That leaves us all struggling to make sense of tragedy. Ultimately, the “Why?” of things like this daunts even the most brilliant and talented philosophers, theologians and others. What we seem to do with it as individuals is get through the pain, hunker down with our own lives and loved ones and pray that it never happens again.

On another note – crushed raspberry neck warmer Awesome! I love that colour. And Runes to boot! Enjoy!

Cat I am praying for Barry’s safe surgery and recovery.
:angel:

and ditto the hugs and messages of love and caring to all of you, my friends.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
emmyarwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2006 12:41
hello everyone. I have been shocked too by the senseless killings in the Amish school The Amish do not even retaliate, they are such peaceful people. It is hard to believe that such a crime could happen in their community.

Here in the UK we do not have guns on the steet, even the police do not carry guns except in a specific emergency. yet we still do have gun crimes from time to time. Mostly gang crimes I suppose, with innocent people caught in the crossfire.

I know what you mean, callë about walking through the trees. We have a tiny nature reserve near us and i walk our dog through it. I love looking up at the trees towering overhead and hearing the wind in their branches. Trees are like a present from God. They are so old and so big and really lovely. Did you hear about the giant redwood in CA that they recon is the largest living thing on earth? I would love to see the redwoods in northern CA and Oregon!

swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2006 01:10
As most of you probably know, gun control here in the US is a hugely political subject. It is one of those wedge issues that is used to great advantage by the republican party. Even the Democrats here in Arkansas have to be seen in commercials with their huntin' gear on and a gun in their hand or they will have no chance of getting elected. Our constitution guarantees citizens the right to "bear arms" and I can't see that being ammended any time soon. Some people even advocate arming all school teachers as a way of preventing school shootings. We have way too many John Wayne wannabees. I am for common sense gun laws, but even that gets me labled a "radical liberal" by many. I really don't know if there's any hope for America to ever shed it's "wild west" image, but I certainly wish we could. Swabby
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2006 01:27
I agree Swabby. Why would anyone need an assault rifle to go deer hunting?

As a teacher it becomes increasingly frightening to me each time we hear about a school shooting. If your school is a small suburban one or a rural school, I can almost guarantee someone could get into your building if they really wanted to. No one is constantly watching the doors and kids are in and out, using the facilities during the day and the community in the evenings. We teachers talked about it all the time.

On a brighter note, I need to get over to the Hobbit board.

Sindy
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2006 06:57
Hi everyone.

I'm sorry that I have not been here in such a long time. My life was turning upside down and had to take control of it. I took care of it, alright. My stress is gone, my muscle spasms are gone and so is the pain in the neck I worked with. I QUIT MY JOB AT SAFEWAY!!!!!!!!!!!! I still have my other job so I will not be broke. I have never felt better. The second in command was riding me all last week and then I became a joke in a meeting that was uncalled for. I had enough of this, so I quit. Just think, I did this before Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada. They can have the busiest weekend just before Christmas to themselves.

Sorry I got hot under the collar, but this balrog was on the verge of breathing her last breath of fire. Might have to use my whip to control someone. (hey, hey,hey):evil:

It is nice to see new faces here. I welcome you to our little rabble. We do have fun. I'm just blowing off steam. We also do that here too.

There has been so many posts. I hope I can get back into the swing of things around here. Just bear with me.

Well, I just found out that The Hobbit already began in the Book Club so I have homework to do. See you all on the flip side.

Namárië
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2006 09:53
Well the workmen are here, my house is in turmoil, the cats are *not* happy and I wanna cry. :cry: It's wet and cold, quite frosty last night, but all the stars were out, which was lovely.

:wave: Hi balrog and you go girl!!
I became a joke in a meeting that was uncalled for
Were you talking about LotR again, pet. But seriously, I think people who make other people the butt of a joke, should have *their* butts severely kicked!!!

And get yourself down to The Hobbit discussion, dear.

Looking forward to seeing you there, too, Sindy.

Yes, swabby, it is a shame when people/countries get labelled. The usual image of Britons is either a stiff upper lip, walking round saying 'top hole' or 'what ho', or else we are hooligans and yobs. The human who first decided to produce a killing machine should have been strung up!!

How's your neck, dear? How's Tommy?

I'm off to make the workmen a brew.

TTFN

Rosie xx

vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2006 10:07
Aiya Balrog, good to hear you got rid of that bad job! It was too much!

I had a headache most of the day until after Minky was done being sick...
Once she was done with her upset stomach my headache went away.
I wonder if she had a killer headache that made her sick...???
She is sleeping and I am feeling only a bit tired now.
Wish I could figure out this pet and pet owner symbiosis thingy.

It rained today so I only got 3.5 miles in on my walk.
I did get a load of laundry done this evening.

I wish I could do something about all the anger and fear in the world
these days but the best I can do is not fall into the fear and anger traps
when they spring open on me.

I get to walk through a century old stand of Elms every day on the way to class so I count myself lucky even if PSU is a very anti-Christian campus.
I can dress in Elven clothes and not get bothered, but if I wear habit then
I get dirty language....
Sigh... I really need to visit Middle Eartyh for a long vacation once I have
my capstone finished.

I'll post an update on Barry's condition as soon as I get one.
Thanks for your prayers. :angel: :love:

Well I'll attempt to post later today...
but no guarantees on what time I'll be here.

Gotta Nap! :sleepy:

Sweet dreams everyone! :hug: :love: :cheers:
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2006 11:59
Good to read everyone's posts. The comsuming thought seems to be all of the school tragedies. I work in a small, rural school and while I don't live with fear daily the thought does come to mind that one irritated parent or psycho student would be all it would take to shift the whole world here to just off kilter. In our small community the public is still pretty intimidated by education and teachers.

It's my 27th anniversary. We were married 27 years ago. Great husband, wound't change a thing. And he is so appreciative of me.

I have to work today. The boss to the day of. She is going to the Dr. Phil show taping and then Disnyland for the extended weekend. Teachers in Idaho get the first Thursday and Friday of October out for Teacher In-Servie. Since we all did a days worth of training we only have to work Thursday and then we have Friday off.

Need to make a list of things to do for Friday. Like stay in bed, read, mending, putter around. We are expecting more rain and cooler temps.

Have a great day everyone.
jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2006 11:59
Way to go, Balrog! Looks like you've found the silver lining in the cloud :cheers: You definitely did'nt need all the angst that you were being put through. Those people you worked with sound like a real charming bunch of bananas, and you're already feeling the benefits. Terrific!

Rosie: I hope you get through the upheaval soon and may you find peace amongst the turmoil.

I feel like its the middle of the night. Been awake since 2:30 and did'nt hit the sack until 1 am. Hate sleepless nights. Anyone got an insomnia remedy.

Well its a quick post. I'm going back to bed for (I hope) a little more shut eye. Feeling horrible, need lots of TLC. Catch you all later.

Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2006 12:52

To Brandywine and her hubby. :love: Enjoy your long weekend.

Thanks Jesse. I am sat freezing at the moment with doors open, workmen trudging in and out, the rain is incessant, no water so can't make a brew. Lol!! Cats are hiding under the bed in the front bedroom. But a bit of brightness was the fact that the electrician is an LotR fan. He has read The Hobbit and LotR numerous times and seen all the films. Good man!! I say.

Hope you catch up on your sleep.

Have a good cat nap, Cat.

Going to find a blanket to wrap around myself. Lol!!

Rosie xx
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: October 05, 2006 02:12
Happy Anniversary, Brandy! :disco: :cheers:

Balrog, congratulations for making the right decision! There just isn't any sense in staying in a job that wrecks you both physically and psychologically, if you don't have to! You will definitely find something nicer!

Swabby, hope your son is already feeling better.

Hang in there, Rose! :hug: It sure was a nice surprise about the electrician!

Not even an hour before I can go home today. And, tomorrow is Friday...
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2006 03:10
Congrats to brandywine on a special occasion. :disco: :disco: :disco:

Three cheers for balrog!:cheers::cheers::cheers:

swabby I'm with you on the gun control thing. It blows me away that some Americans have this need to arm themselves (ostensibly against oppressive governments) yet some American administrations are among the more nefarious on the globe (but they dress in nice suits and get henchmen to do their dirty work f or them, so they stay clean-looking). And then most of the danger from guns comes from fellow citizens. * knock knock * "Is anyone home there? Anyone listening?"

Yes, in the UK where police don't carry guns as a rule, there is and always has been considerably less gun crime. Ah well, let's not confuse the issue with facts. Posturing and attitude are far more important.

OK, off the soapbox now.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: October 05, 2006 03:28
Balrog good for you. It sounded like you needed to quit that job a long time ago. I don't understand why people think they can make fun of others just to feel superior to them when in actuality they really feel inferior. So hang in there.

Brandy Happy Anniversary!:heart: Have a good Friday off. I am taking off a day today it is my daughter's birthday. We are having cooler temps. too. I am so glad. It was so strange but it was warm enough the last two days for me to swim in the pool..

Rose, wrap in your blanket and repeat after me. It's going to be worth it. Hey I think I would be in that front bedroom. Does it have a door? Oh maybe you have to be there with the workman to tell them what you want done. What good fortune to find a LOTR fan working for you.

Jess, so sorry about your insomnia. I read boring books and try warm milk or cold either one. I soak in a warm bath with a glass of wine or I do tedious tasks and sometimes it works. Sometimes I am just up. My doctor recommended me taking a herb Melatonin I just tried one pill so I can't tell you if it works. Good luck.

Cat, you say you had a headache and Minky was sick I assume you are at your apartment when this happens have you ever had your apartment tested for levels of carbon monoxide? Sometimes you might have a leak if you have gas instead of electric heat and you described two of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. If you have gas the gas company will usually do a check for free or your health department sometimes fire stations too. It is probably nothing but something you might want to check.

Morwin,hello and how is your backyard coming along? Yes, thank God it is Friday tomorrow.

Have a good day.
Melianmaia
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2006 03:49
I have heard on the news that Roberts the gun killer was intending to torture the little girls for his own sexual depravity when the police turned up. It seems the "incedent" that occured 20 years ago was when he molested 2 family members when they were about 4years of age. It would have been even worse that our imaginations could picture had the police not turned up when they did.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2006 03:53
Please accept my wishes for a happy anniversary also, Brandywine. It's so wonderful to hear of couples like you and your hubby who are still happy after many years. May you enjoy many, many more years together!

No water for brew, Rose ? (I guess you're talking about brewing tea, right?) Can't you call on a neighbor? We have bottled, already-made tea here, but I'm sure it wouldn't qualify as "proper" tea. I'm picky about my coffee and always want it fresh-brewed, so I guess it's the same thing. I hope the workers get done quickly so you and your kitties can breathe easy.

Good for you balrog! Those folks should have treated you better. I hope everything works out well for you and that you'll have more time to spend with us now.

Tommy returned to school this morning, Morwin. He's not back to 100% but he said he was feeling much better. I found out that the local girl who now calls him every day is a senior, which means that she's probably a couple of years older than him. Hey, I don't mind. Maybe she's a little more mature.

I'm sorry you're having sleep problems, jess. That happens to me from time to time also. If I was a real doctor I'd write you one of those "special" prescriptions, but alas, I am not. Perhaps MT could share a bit of her vitamin "V" with you.

I can't even picture an anti-Christian university, Vicarcat. It's just the opposite here. Anyone caught bad-mouthing a person of the cloth around here would be tarred and feathered. Want to come to Arkansas? We have some very Middle Earth-looking terrain here that you're sure to enjoy, and it probably rains a lot less than Oregon.

I've been trying to do a little drawing but have had too many distractions. I tell ya, I'd sure like to have a big ol' mallorn tree with a little house way up in the top of it. No phone, no doorbells, no noisy cars with tomato-can mufflers. Just the sound of the wind in the branches and an occassional chirping bird. Oh well, back down to the ground with me. Happy Thursday, my beautiful friends. Swabby

Whoa! Three of you posted while I was writing mine.

Neenime, you're a very wise lady and I wish a lot more folks saw things the way you do.

Awelyn, I'm glad you got to do a little more swimming before those north winds start to blow.

Melian, it is more than I can bear to think of those little girl's last moments, and I am indeed glad that the sicko didn't get a chance to defile them as well. There is too much ugliness in this world.

[Edited on 5/10/2006 by swabby]
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2006 04:20
Happy Anniversary, Brandywine! :disco: That is wonderful to hear in this day and age that you have been together so long and would not have changed a thing. May you continue to be blessed!

Balrog, good to see you back. Sounds like you did the right thing. Life is way too short to be unhappy. That was a cruel thing they did with the joke. But know you are loved here!

Have a good day off, Awelyn. Hope your daughter has a Happy Birthday also.

Jess, the insomnia is not fun. Seems to be one of those curses of getting, well, Eldar. There have been some good recommendations in the posts but unfortunately seems to be no one magic cure. Hope you get some relief and rest.

It does not seem right, Cat, that the students would be so anti-Christian. One would think they would be more open minded. Hope your friend's recovery is going well.

Time to get over to the Book Club. Got some sniffles, think from the sudden drop in temperature. Have a great day! :love::heart: :hug:
jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2006 04:43
Well, I'm up. What more does anyone want!. Feel like I've been hit by a semi. Next time I'm going to avail myself of that warm bath and the glass of vino Awelyn. Maybe I'll just do it anyway, sounds too good to pass up.

OK so I may feel miserable, but good news is always a great way to cheer me up. So here's to you Brandywine :cheers: :heart: :love: Its always great to hear of a long term marriage. Makes the heart feel good. I hope you and hubby have a lovely romantic day.

Swabby: Being British and living in Canada, I have come across the bottled and the powdered "tea." Trust me, its nothing like a real brew. You Americans definitely do the coffee thing right, but the tea - well, it leaves a lot to be desired. You Brits are probably going to throw your coffee mugs at me, but I've never had a good cup of java in G.B. yet. Glad to hear Tommy's feeling better. An older women hey! The boy definitely has a lot of taste and good sense.

Vicarcat: I'm so sorry that there are still kids, at uni no less that have not learned a little tolerance and respect for an obvious person of faith. Makes me wonder what they'll be like when they "grow up." We in Middle Earth salute you. I'm pretty sure you will be an example to all of them. :wave: Maybe if they'd tread the streets with you at Night Watch they might have a different attitude.

Rosie: Glad you have a fellow ringer working at the house. Along with Swabby - go call the neighbour and have a good brew, nothing quite like it for soothing the soul.

Guess I'd better get the bod moving and go do some grocery shopping. Gotta put on my smiley face for the rest of the world. I need an escape!!!
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2006 07:01
Happy Anniversary Brandy!!! :love: How wonderful that you are happy together after so many years. Hope you have a great day and have the chance to celebrate together.
Balrog- good for you! If they can treat you like that, then they dont deserve you. And we get the benefit of having you around here more!
Vicarcat, hope you friend is recovering well, and all I can say to someone who disrespects the cloth is 'may God be merciful to forgive you', for you know not what you do.
Rose, its been raining here in Stoke all day. Took the day off for shopping and it was miserably wet the whole time. I still managed to find an outfit for our work dinner tomorrow night though. We are having a leaving do for one of the supervisors. I do hope your workmen have finished for the day. I had one in the other day to fix the drier and my moggy flew from room to room in a panic. Oh, how they dont like any upset to their space.
Jess, I second the wine for a good nights sleep. If I feel restless at bedtime, I will do a word puzzle or read a little, and have a nice glass of wine. It works! I wont be thowing my mug at you as most of mine are LOTR mugs, but I dont drink coffee anyway. I'll have a nice brew of tea anytime.
Awelyn, hope you have a great mother/daughter day for your daughters birthday.
Swabby, glad to hear Tommy is feeling better...and how wise of him to notice that older women are better. (that coming from someone who's husband is ten years her junior)
Oh yeah, Awelyn, wow that is something for Vicarcat to think about. Maybe some fumes or something...hmmm...worth checking into.
Hiya to anyone I have missed. :wave:
Must go downstairs now and prepare a good old standby for wet, cool days.....hot soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.
Ooooh! almost forgot, the new Robin Hood series starts here on tv this Saturday. Cant wait!
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2006 08:08
Hi everyone and happy birthdays and anniversaries and anything else that people are celebrating.

Balrog congratulations on having the courage to quit and say enough is enough. I wish you all the best for the future and given what a hard worker you are I can't see you having a problem finding something when you are ready.

For all you Ranger girls October on my LOTR calendar is Ara baby! every night I see my king before I go to sleep and every morning he is there when I wake up he is there. I like October! October is good!

Now what was that old song? "If I had a talking picture of you"

Yup I could go for that.

Love and hugs

Don't tell Swabby but it isn't Grima I have been kissing!

HT:heart:
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2006 02:12
Swabby, glad to hear Tommy is feeling better.

Happy Anniversary, Brandywine, and many more.

Awelyn, my tabby hates when anyone comes into his house. He especially dislikes the mowers that (purposely in his mind) show up just as soon as Mom gets home to let him out.

Had some horrendous storms last night. The power went off for 1 1/2 hours. Today it's freezing! Has gotten colder as the day went on and is about 45 degrees now. BBBRRRRRRR It was 85 yesterday.

I've got to post over at The Hobbit.

Sindy
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2006 03:15
Just jump aboard the Ren fest cart, Jess.We'll have some wine and a good ole time on the way and when we get there. Try to get a little rest, cause I don't want you pooping out on me at the jousting tournament! It'll be hard enough to keep me on my own two feet without having to hold anyone else up.

I can picture Rose in her scarf ordering the workmen with a shout of "Forth Eorllingas!!"

I am NEVER disappointed in you, swabby.
I'm sorry, but I don't agree with arming teachers with guns. As one of my students reminded me the other day "There's no firing at school!"

Proud of you, balrog!! You did the right thing and I know that you will be rewarded for taking the stance that you did!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY brandywine! I wish you two a special time to celebrate your years together. May your time together continue be blessed.

How wonderful to take a day off to spend with your daughter on her birthday, awelyn You're a special lady and loving mom. Hope you have a great day!

You know the right way to start and end your day, HT. I give my Aragorn poster a kiss each morning before I face the world. That vitamin-V helps, Mith. We shieldmaidens swear by it!:love::heart:

Am so glad that the weekend starts soon. Need a little self-indulgence!! :evil::heart:

MT
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2006 11:13
Happy Aniversery Brandywine.!!!

Rose I hope your renovations are done soon. I'm sure they will be nice.

No rain today so I got 6 miles in on my walk after class today.
Nightwatch was quiet.
Timberwolf was fussy as he always is on a full moon night.
S. Sara still is looking for a low cost board for her laptop.
Her Archbishop wants to elevate her to bishop but she is not ready
for that yet so she is turning down his offer of promotion.
Smart Lady to wait until she has her current projects finished
before seeking more complex duties.

We have an electric stove and 2 hot water radiators for heat...
so the only fumes we get are from the cars driving by.
I think it was just feline anxiety again.

Silverleaf and I will be volunteering at Rosehaven and
serving under Sister Kathie...
I don't have my schedule yet but it will be flexible.

I finaly sucumbed and bought a copy of Alan Lee's
Lord of the Rings Sketchbook...
now I have all kinds of ideas running through my head,
and no room to make the projects or to set out the finished products.

Sigh I will make good use of all my scraps this year...
though it may take me a while to do so.

TGIF! Hope the weekend is fine! :love: :hug:

Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2006 01:09
Thanks everyone for your encouragement. And MT, do you have a Galadriel mirror? You saw into my house Lol!!

The workmen have gone and my Kitchen ceiling is beautiful, after years of lumps and bumps and not being able to afford to have it smoothed over. *big big smile* And my Bathroom suite is fitted and you can't imagine the relief to see the back of the one that has gone. *double big big smile*.

I have a joiner in at the moment, boarding out the Bathroom floor, but that's no biggie. Water is back on and I am enjoying brews galore. Yes, swabby, brew = cup of tea. As far as asking neighbours. Well, they aren't really that type of people, anymore. The days have gone, sadly, where I live anyway, where doors are left open and people can call on others hospitality. A sign of the times, unfortunately. Although, as in any case, there are exceptions. The ones I could have counted on were either at work or out. But being the stalwart dragon that I am, I survived. Lol!!

Next on the refurbishment list are two windows to replace and a new back gate. Then decorating will be necessary. And I can then consider myself a happy bunny.

Alan Lee's Sketchbook is a treasure, Cat, isn't it. And I have been meaning to say that I love the names you use in your posts. They are delightful.

HT, I have the same calendar. Ary watches me as I wash the dishes and cook meals.

Calle, I thought the rain was never going to stop. Lol! Ooops, as I speak, here it comes again. :rolleyes:

Good to hear Tommy is doing fine, swabby, and yourself. Like, MT though, I don't like the idea of arming teachers. As has been said in other UKers posts, 'armed' anyone is alien to us, unless it is the Forces. But who knows what the future may bring. And disappointed in you, swabby .... never. :hug:

Well, off to enjoy another brew. Take care and blessings to everyone. :love:

Rosie xx
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2006 01:29
Rose Hang in there! And just piture how lovely it will all look when it's done. I wish I could magically transport a lovely cup of tea to you.

Melianmaia , ys there was that incident when Roberts was 12 or so, but there was reference to some other undisclosed incident that he experienced. That's what makes me suspicous that he might have been victmized himself. Children who are abused often show unusual sexual activity with younger kids afterwards.

Mith I see I am not the only one who kisses posters. just let's be careful that we don't wear out the image!

CAt It is sad that so many people react to people of the cloth like that. By and large they are faithful, loving people. Unfortunately the heavy-handedness and sometimes outright corruption of many religious, and the overall oppressiveness of church hierarchy has left you exceptions tarred with the same nasty brush. I feel for you.

TTFN - have the day off with hubby. have to clean the house for Jess and my friend's visit tonight. FOTR on the big screen at 7 PM

Luv to all
awelyn418
Send Message
on: October 06, 2006 03:17
Rose Swabby did not say that he thought teachers should be armed but he said some people in Arkansas have said that . He is against arming teachers.I am glad you can brew your tea. I would one day like to try a cup of freshly brewed British tea. I guess I would just have to pay you a visit.

I think pepper spray or mace might help. I worked at a school where there was a drug house across the street from the school. There had been drive by shootings and one day we came to school to find someone had shot all of the windows out on the top level. I have had to make a game with the children to get them on the buses quickly and out of harms way. It was a scary and stressful time. I was always looking over my shoulder and watching and being observant. Parents naturally stopped bringing their kids to school.We don't have our school at that location anymore and then I stared working with Parents As Teachers.

Swabby I am glad Tommy is better and an older women . He is probably feeling a little special.

Neenime, I agree with you about the shooter. I have seen that so many times at daycare. A child was abused and tries something sexual on a younger child. I am so impressed with the Amish community that has offered forgiveness for the family of the shooter. I know they don't believe in violence and are a pacifist community. It would have to be God to help me forgive a person that had shot and killed my child.

VicarCat glad to hear that you have electric. I am so sorry for the injustice and ignorance of others. You have a good day. I love Allen Lee's drawings.

Sindy I have a yellow tabby who is so independent but I love him. He is about 13 years old.

MTMS, have you had a bad week? I am glad the weekend is here. I have been told by my doctor that I have an incisional hernia. I will have to have surgery again. This will be the third one. What a bummer. I can decide when but I would like to wait until my Christmas break or the end of school. It will be what my body says that I listen too. I also was off yesterday but my Autumn worked but I got things ready for her birthday. She thought she would not have a cake. I bought her one and she got one from her coworkers and she made one for herself . We had three cakes! Hobbits would have loved that much cake It was so funny.

Well, I am off to work. Have a good one. Farmers in my area say that all the time.

swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2006 04:10
Just to be sure there is no misunderstanding, no, I don't advocate arming teachers. If that ever becomes necessary then we really have some big problems. I'd like to see fewer guns, not more, but that idea makes a lot of men in the US furious. They think they ought to be able to buy a gun as easy as buying a pair of socks. They've got too much testosterone and too little Gray matter.

I'm not especially fond of my neighbors either, Rose. I'm so different than they are that I may as well be a Buddhist living amongst Christians. I'd really like to live in the country where my only neighbors would be squirrels, sparrows and other assorted furry or feathered life-forms.

Tommy is going to a female friend's birthday party this coming Sunday. I think he thinks of her as just a buddy because she has been a member of their little school "lunch club" for a couple of years now, but I suspect that she doesn't see him that way. I told him that he should get her something nice. What would be a hot item for a 15 or 16 year old girl right now, in the 25 to 50 dollar range? Any suggestions?
The main thing is that he's getting out of his room and socializing with real live people.

We've been on some serious subjects lately, so I'd like to try and inject a little fun if I could. Would any of you care to divulge your most embarrasing moment? I'll start with one of mine (I've had several, I think) When I was in the Navy, stationed at a shore station, I went to work one morning and had been there for maybe an hour or so when one of my friends said "What the.... Swabby, you've got something hanging out of the rear of your trousers!" He grabbed hold and pulled, and out it came. I'd been walking around with a pair of my wife's pantyhose hanging out the rear of my trousers. I guess she had dried them together and the pantyhose had hitched a ride on my uniform pants.

Have a terrific Friday, my fantastic friends! Swabby

Awelyn posted while I was writing. Thankyou my dear for clarifying my position on gunslinging teachers.
The Amish people are displaying trully exceptional behavior by showing such an willingness to forgive. It reminds me of when the Pope forgave the guy who'd shot him. Thinking about it though, I could forgive someone for shooting me a lot easier than I could for shooting my child. I can't bear to even think about that.

[Edited on 6/10/2006 by swabby]
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2006 06:14
awelyn: I didn't say that I thought swabby was saying he agreed with arming teachers. I was saying that I didn't agree with arming them, as MT had said.

Good to hear Tommy is getting out and about, swabby.

Perhaps one of my embarassing moments was when I rode my horse round to my friend's house. Living in an inner city area, horse riders were not the norm. I was about 18 at the time. There were quite a few people stood around. I put my foot in the stirrup, swung my leg over the horse's back, missed the saddle and landed in a heap on the other side. :blush: Did I feel stupid. Lol!!

Have a good Friday.

Rosie xx
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2006 08:24
Hi everyone

I think one of my most embarassing moments was several years ago when I said to a young male shop assistant - "Can I try that skirt on in the window?" Well I knew what I meant!

Swabby if I was 15 or 16 and having friennds round I would have been realy pleased to receive flowers either sent or from the friend in person.

Perfume is always a good choice but it helps to know what brands the girl prefers.

Silver necklaces or bracelts and bangles can go down well or books if she likes to read. I have no idea what these things cost in the states I haven't been across the water in about 30 years and I am hazy on the exchange rates at the moment.

Love and hugs

HT:heart:
jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2006 09:02
Embarrassing moments. Well I've had a few, but the one that sticks most in my mind was many years ago when I was 18 and God's gift to the male population. I was uptown on a busy Saturday afternoon, dressed in my brand new white circle skirt and heels, when the need to use the ladies room come over me. Did what I had to do. Came out and was sashaying down the main street, with my girl friend to the tune of some wolf whistles from a group of very cute guys. When a lady tapped me on the shoulder from behind and uttered the immortal words, "Dearie, you've got your skirt stuck in the back of your knickers." Well, that dented the ego and of course, I did not show myself in town for weeks. Still blush when I think about it. :blush:

With regard to the Amish. Maybe we could take a leaf out of their books. Forgiveness is a truly freeing thing. I too would find it difficult to do especially in the case of a child. They are an amazing people. I agree that religion has been used by unscrupulous people over the centuries for their own ends. Would'nt it be wonderful if we could love and treat others the way that we would want to be treated. I think it is absolutely wonderful the way they have reached out to Roberts family, because they are the other victims in this whole tragedy.

Neenime: Looking forward to the movie night! I'm bringing Sam's trail mix and Striders favourite brownies. Blow the diet. I'm going to have a binge weekend and start over again on Monday! :naughty: :disco: :cheers:

I tried the bath and bottle cure for insomnia last night. It worked, I actually slept in until 5:30 am. Now I just need to know how to sleep a little longer. I have this inbuilt alarm clock that says, however late you go to bed, you still have to get up early for work! It's not got the message yet! I'm retired!!

Rosie: So glad everything has been finished and you are happy with the results. Sad, sad about the neighbours. Those days are gone. I'm fortunate here that I have some good ones. But who knows what they'll be like in the new place.

Swabby: I've got no idea what a 15 year old would like. Most of the ones I know would probably like a gift certificate for the tattoo/piercing shop. Has she read LOTR? Maybe buy her a copy. Wish you luck.

Everybody have a lovely weekend. I know I'm going to. :angel:
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2006 10:29
Hi everyone.

I would like to thank all who gave their "Horrays" about me quiting my job. You are right about some of the people who work there. Anyways, I'm feeling much better. I still have my lottery booth job so I'm not without money.

It was aweful about the Amish children. It was horrible.

Yes, Rose, I will get my butt over to The Hobbit.

This weekend I'm taking it off and will be playing video games. I need some down time and my roommate and I will be Giving Thanks on Monday. A little chicken, (turkey is too big for the 2 of us), dressing, mashed p-o-t-a-t-o-s, carrots and for dessert, strawberry shortcake.

As for weather, it's been nice but cloudy. We're supposed to get rain tomorrow.

Well, I'm signing off till Monday. Hope everyone has a great weekend. Until then.....

Namárië
awelyn418
Send Message
on: October 06, 2006 10:44
Sorry Rose I misunderstood you. Oh Rose that must have been embarrassing.

Swabby does he know what kind of music she likes? I think a CD would be a great idea if he knew her favorite group or singer. Flowers and candy is good and bracelets but he should ask her girlfriends what kind of jewelry she likes. My husband has had my undies stuck to the inside of his shirt before

Jess, I am sorry but I laughed at your most embarrassing moment it reminded me of mine which I have many. I was teaching a almost all male Sunday School class of 10 year olds. As I was walking and talking the elastic on my half slip suddenly broke and fell at a puddle at my feet without missing a step I bent down scooped it up and smashed it in my purse. My dress was so see through and all the boys in that room had their mouths gaping open when my slip fell my face was very red, the girls all 3 of them giggled. I am glad you are sleeping longer.

HT, I knew what you meant about the skirt.lol.

Have a good weekend.
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2006 10:58
That's ok awelyn. :hug: And yes, not only my pride was hurt, sitting on the floor, with people and a horse staring at me, but my nether regions were stinging too. Lol!!

Talking of skirts stuck in knickers ... that must have been soooo embarrassing, jesse ... who has ever come out of the public toilets with loo paper stuck to their shoe. Oh my. lol!!

And, isn't it strange, I thought I was God's gift to the male population.

HT: I could imagine the shop assistant's face. Don't we say some silly things sometimes.

Have an excellent weekend, balrog. The food sounds great.

Oooh, no swabby. I bet you had the proverbial taken out of you. Rofl!!

Have a good weekend, y'all

Blessings and hugs

Rose xx
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2006 02:48
Balrog I am so glad you are feeling better about life now. It's very liberating to make changes that make such a difference in your own life. I'm glad for you.

Rose I am excited for you that the main work is over and you will now be able to get the windows done and then re-decorate. We are going to have to do that here soon as wel. Some water damage in the bathroom and den will bring some definite changes in the look of those rooms.

Thanks to everyone for the anniversary wishes. the hubby was hauling spuds and I was at a Cub Scout meeting. I stopped to get a hot dog at a local 'C' store and mentioned that it was my anniversary. The clerk asked how many years and dropped her jaw when I said 27. She asked what the hubby had gotten me and I told her I didn't need anything. Being married to him was like having a present everyday. It's been a good time. We are still young and really enjoy seeing each other at the end of the day. We call each other often, thanks to technological advances.

Hello and all my best to everyone else I didn't mention.

[Edited on 7/10/2006 by brandywine]
<< First1213141516Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email