Register

<< First1415161718
Author Topic:
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part VIII
on: October 16, 2006 06:07
Brandywine, that is so sad to hear about Joanne's husband. I will keep her in my prayers. And a hope that our loving thoughts here will also offer her some comfort.

Thanks so much for sending the Christmas card addresses, Sindy. Always feel closer to home when I read your posts.

Not quite what I was thinking on Ara-baby, MT, but it made me laugh and always love looking at that handsome ranger!

Oh, what a lot of paperwork, Scots. Too much of it in many aspects of life these days. Good thing your fingers are thawed. A good dose of ME should help as well. It always helps me put things in perspective.

What an awesome experience, Awelyn, to feel us there with you. Perhaps since we are in a sense, family? Anyhow, love how you express yourself and have such a caring love and concern for others.

LOL at your proposed names for your ship, Swabby. Let us know if you get that astral projection thing figured out.

A great day to you all. :heart::love: :hug:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2006 10:03
Brandywine How sad about your friend's husband. She will surely be in my prayers. May her heart be comforted by the love and caring of others.

Balrog . Prayers coming right up for your roommate. I hope all goes well for her and that the surgeon's hands move the grace and skill of a dancer!

BTW- your Lottery Ticket idea for a costume sounds great! Looking forward to photos.

Scots I hope you've had a wonderful, rejuvenating day at the workshop. I know you're a dedicated teacher, but DO take time for yourself, woman!

Swabby I know that song The Cabin Boy.! Not that good ex-Catholic girl like me would have learned it on purpose. My mischievious husband sang it to me when we were courting. He sometimes launches into the first few words (which are OK) at inappropriate times, looking for a reaction from me. He gets one - a jab in the gut or a severe look!:evil:

Awelyn your reaction at Church doesn't suprise me at all. You obviously have us associated with good and wonderful things. It all went into the same folder in your computer-brain. :angel:

MTMS "The Frozen Chosen" ? Too funny! Reminds me of the joke in the Rob Roy movie (Liam Neeson, Jessica Lange et. al). Will PM you and anyone else who wants it .
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2006 10:19
Really, really quick as I must get things done and get some sleep.
Awelyn and MT, thanks bundles.
Brandy I will say prayers for your sister in law. May God comfort her and the family.
Sindy, thanks for the list. I recieved mine ok. Now to get some pretty cards.
Swabby, I am pretty sea-worthy. I have sailed across the Atlantic twice now. Can I sail on your ship? Maybe you can sail me across and I wont have to fly...
Scots, you work so hard for your students...you are the kind of teacher that is never forgotten.
MT, Ara baby is hilarious....not quite what I was thinking either.:evil:
Awelyn, we are all linked together in thought and you felt it.:love:
Simply must go now, got so much to do. I am already worrying that my doggy will miss me and wont know where I am. I'll have to bring him a special treat from my trip.
My daughter is putting the lotr cd's on her mp3 player for me to calm my nerves on the plane. She doesnt want me try drive her mad.
Have a good night my friends.
Oh, i havent even had time to post anything in the book club, but I sure am enjoying the Hobbit again. I am quilty too of reading ahead. Just cant help it.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: October 16, 2006 02:27
Calle you are welcome, when are you leaving? Remember take one or two one hour before your plane takes off. I would recommend you try them about a day before you leave and then you would know if you could take one or two. I still got a little butterfly feeling in my stomach but no panic or terror they were just great and helped me so much . Have a good trip .

Neenime, I like the sound of that, your computer brain. You know wives are so good with jabbing.

Mith, you always make me feel special.:heart: I hope you are finding more friends in Nebraska.

MTMS, you and me share some of the same feelings but I have never been on stage shaking a tail-feather I think Swabby said. Ara-baby was to funny.

Swabby ,my daughter and I watched the limited edition ROTK Saturday. I sobbed most of the way through,in the happy parts and the sad. My daughter cried her eyes out when Frodo and Sam parted. I cry when Pippin finds Merry and rolls the dead Orc of and poor Merry is injured underneath. The love both Hobbits have for each other is so touching. Anyway a good time was had by all. Sorry you and your brother did not get together for your weekly LOTR movie watching.
I need to go finish a poem I am writing for my granddaughter.
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2006 03:04
Mith, I think of you nearly every day when I watch the leaves change. I found an orange maple leaf and a green and pink sweet gum (maybe) leaf by the mailbox yesterday and thought of you. I know there must be trees on the POG amongst the wheat fields and corn fields. :hug:

Scots, sister paper grader. As our esteemed former president said, "I feel your pain." Next Friday is the last day of the quarter and I gave a huge vocab unit test, assigned a describe the worst villain of all time paper, and have the usual weekly grades and next week the day one of the gods came to visit you story is due and the final Hobbit test....Urgh!!!! Why do I do this? They begin clamoring the moment they turn in a paper "do you have it graded yet?" Something's got to give so Grima needs to be practicing his smooches. :cry:

Swabby, get out there and dance! If Mick Jagger and Bob Dylan still have it, I bet Swabby does too! :disco:

Awelyn, let's have a cup of cyber-tea and relax. It's been a long and rainy Monday.

Prayers and thoughts to all of you and your loved ones.

Sindy
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: October 16, 2006 04:12
Sindy I will accept that cyber-tea and relax. It has been so dreary here today. It sounds so pretty at your house.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2006 04:30
9:20 p.m. and all's well!! I don't think I'd make a very good ship's mate. I get seasick even in little boats. The spousal has hinted that he'd like to go on a cruise--and apart from the cost-- the thought of getting out in the ocean blue makes me turn an interesting shade of green.

I'd like to hear the Rob Roy joke, please. I've watched the movie lord knows how many times but can't get the brain around what joke you're talking about....OH, wait a minute! The dancing one??? *snort* NOW I remember!! Gotta love that movie though. *sigh* I SO want to go back to Scotland. Mayhaps to live. I can dream, can't I??

Sindy, I have a bunch of character sketches (biographical sketches) sitting in my teacher bag. I got the last of last week's daily grades up and out of my hair, but those written pieces are still there. They *have* to be done by Wednesday though as grades have to be turned in Thursday morning. Tomorrow is the last day of the quarter. Yippee! One down three to go!

Since it's so late, no more correcting for me tonight though. I've been going full tilt on school stuff and am ready to quit for tonight. I wonder why it is that I feel guilty when I take time for me? I'm really going to have to get over that.

I guess that it's supposed to get cold tomorrow. Ick. I want some of the lovely sunny and 60 degree fall weather when the leaves are glorious and it just begs for you to get out and take a stroll. None of that so far.

Well, the alarm goes off way too early, and I'm ready for a rest. Take good care all. Oooh, I see that we've hit the magic number. Where's Belle to get us started once again??
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: October 16, 2006 08:25
Sorry I haven't been around much. I'll start a new thread tomorrow. Been up to my hiney at work and with homework (dratted online Master's program). Just now turned in my PowerPoint project on illegal aliens and how they impact healthcare in California. Ugh... I'll be so glad when this class is over. Have about seven more to go before I'm done. I swear I'll never be finished with school! Argh!
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2006 09:00
Cyber tea..what a good idea.
Awelyn, thanks. I leave on Saturday at 8 in the morning. I have to wake up around 4 to leave at 5 to make it to the airport by 6.ugh! By 12:30 Sat. I should be in Sanford, Fla.
Its a nine hour flight but with a 5 hour time distance. Hmmm. too bad you cant go far back enough in time to be in ME.
I love the love that is shared by the hobbits and others of the fellowship too. So very special and touching. A pure love that some people actually cant understand.
We are still having pretty mild weather here for October. I mean I am still out in short sleeves most days, but there is more fog and gray working its way in. (mornie utulie) Darkness is coming sooner each day. I dont mind up until Christmas but after that I am ready for some warmth and longer and lighter days.
Ah well, heres to lots of hot tea and cocoa, the warmth of friends, good films to watch, books to read, and our lovely FoF forum. :cheers:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2006 12:50
Been up to my hiney at work and with homework (dratted online Master's program). Just now turned in my PowerPoint project on illegal aliens and how they impact healthcare in California. Ugh... I'll be so glad when this class is over. Have about seven more to go before I'm done. I swear I'll never be finished with school! Argh!

Belle, I feel your pain! I'm taking my research methods class this semester in preparation for doing my thesis. URG! After that I have nine more hours to take. At that point I'll have my Masters, but then I have to take nine *more* hours before I move over on the pay scale. URG again. I must have been nuts to take a class first semester in a new school. *smacks self on forehead*
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2006 02:59
Sindy, thanks so much for the holiday card list. Keeping in touch is one of those things that helps foster that feeling of family here.
Sindy's right! If Mick Jagger and Bob Dylan can prance around on the stage, then so can you, swabby!! I can see it now...Mick singing, Bob playing his harmonica, swabby strumming his guitar with awelyn, mith and me as the background singers/shakers. The sight would be worth the ticket price! :disco:

I've a deep longing to visit Scotland, scots. Maybe you're rubbing off on me a little bit (I HOPE so, as that would be a very good thing!)

I admire you, Belle for taking on coursework to complete your master's degree. I just can't make myself do so. Wishing you strength, sanity and all the things that you will need to get you through this busy time.

Will be praying for travel mercies for you, calle. Are you going through airline purgatory, aka Hartsell airport in Atlanta?? :evil: Though I love the town, the airport is like a black hole.
Where is Sanford, FL? My son lives in Pensacola (on the panhandle), which is just an hour away from me.

For some reason, you are on my mind, HT. Hope all is well with you. You are another one of the reasons that I want to visit Scotland. You and Rose, calle and all my other UK pals! :hug:

Loved the joke, neenime. Thanks for sharing. For some folks , it's how things are for them!!

Man, I surely want to have a FoF get together. Think I'm gonna start pondering on the matter.

MT
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2006 03:23
Scots- glad you got the joke. It was worth a good snort wasn't it?

:angel: :angel: :angel: for Balrog's friend as she goes into surgery today.

:angel: :angel: :angel: for Joanne and her family.

:angel: :angel: :angel: For the teachers, ever at their toil.

:angel: :angel: :angel: for Callë . The music idea is brliiant - your brain will be recalling associated scenes and feelings from the films. Less time to fret about things that might (but seldom DO) go wrong. You have my sympathy - I am a former nervous flyer but I have pretty much trained myself out of it with self-talk, relaxation and a little ritual that I do just before we take off. I bless the plane, all its parts, the crew and all the space around us.

Does it work? Who knows? It makes me feel good. And the info coming out of the scientific world, expecially the cross-over between disciplines (physics -spirituality-psychiatry-chemistry) strongly suggests that thoughts are a form of energy that can affect matter.

I saw the film WHAT THE BLEEP DO WE KNOW and plan to do some follow-up reading from the impressive list of scholars and scientists who spoke in it.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2006 03:59
Let's all keep balrog's friend in our thoughts and prayers today as she has a very serious surgery.

I'm sorry, Neenime, I don't know about a song called "Cabin Boy". I was referring to the Tim Burton movie by that title. In it, a spoiled rich dandy (Chris Elliot) is abducted by pirates and forced to serve as their cabin boy on a ship called the "Dirty W*H*O*R*E" . I had to write it that way because of our word-censor thingy.
As for this song, perhaps you could teach it to me.

I'd certainly allow you passage on the Jolly Ranger, calle, but I haven't collected a proper crew just yet. So far, I've only got a wise*ss parrot and seaman Wildtongue. When I can catch---uh, I mean "hire" Jennifer Connelly and Salma Hyek, I'll be ready to shove-off. Otherwise, good luck on that giant silver bird. Just take those chill-pills and imagine you're sitting behind Gandalf on a giant eagle.

I think I'll leave the dancing to MT, Sindy. I'm sure she looks great shaking what she's got. If someone saw me shaking like that, they'd probably think I was having a seizure. I'll let my fingers dance on the guitar strings and we'll all be much happier. Just think of Eric Clapton---he doesn't jump and hop around on stage because all of his concentration is going into his playing. I might sway back and forth a little, like I was on a ship.

Rose has gone missing again. Aren't dragons supposed to be chained up?

We need some of your clever rhymes, HT. Don't you still dream of kilted chocolate Rangers?

You can take a cruise with me on the Jolly Ranger (as soon as I get that crew) if I can come visit you in your hobbit hole, Awelyn. What say ye?

When are you going to come to Arkansas, Mith? Then you could make some cabbage rolls and I could make cornbread and your hubby would get fat. (like me) Sound like a deal?

If you see a Jolly Roger flying over a fine wooden ship out in the bay, you'll know I got that crew, MT, and you'll be more than welcome to come out and join us. I might need you to whip 'em into shape, ya know.

Happy Tuesday, all you lucious land-lubbers! Swabby
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2006 05:13
The get together sure sounds like fun, MT. Although it would be best for me to lip sync so to not scare away the crowd. But then they would be watching the strumming sailor anyhow. Forgot to say this in my last post but always knew we had lots in common and now to find out you are not only a shield maiden sister but also Presbyterian. :love:

Sindy, loved your description of the trees/leaves. You are right, this country girl is missing home. But thanks to you, can visualize and almost feel like I'm back for a while. There are some trees here around the city but they still look mostly green. Thanks so much for the hugs! :hug:

Have met quite a few people at the church here, Awelyn. Have not found any Tolkien fans but some wonderful souls all the same. I love what you said last in the Book Club although I did not respond there at least not yet. But would love to hear more on that site you were talking about.

Would love to come to Arkansas, Swabby. I can remember the beautiful country there. How about I stop and pick up Awelyn and MT on the way? And would gladly make the cabbage rolls, especially if I could have some of your cornbread. Hubby says he's going to lose 30 pounds but would certainly not pass on the good food. We certainly feed our spouses well, don't we? Oh, and how about we take a day each to cook for each other? That would be a real treat and know you can appreciate that thought.

Callë, hope you have a safe and good flight.

Balrog, hope your friend's surgery goes well.

Is it too late to request the joke, Neenime? Would love to read it.

:love: & :hug: 's to all the FOF family :heart: here.
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2006 05:27
Hi everyone

Brandy My condolences I wish you and Joanne every sympathy.

MT like the Ranger pic! Are you coming to Scotland or just thinking about it? We have been having unseasonably warm weather (at least for us) You folks from warmer climes would probably not find it warm.

Swabby I don't have to kiss Grima every day do I? As long as I read the posts can I get away with just thinking about kissing him?

Love and Hugs to all

HT

:heart:
<< First1415161718
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email