Register

<< First34567Last >>
Author Topic:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part VIII
on: September 07, 2006 01:46
Chad Vader videos - glad that you're enjoying them. I saw Star Wars when I was in high school or maybe early university. Amazing - the combination of John Williams' music and the incredible visual effects will stay with me forever. I still get shivers. And I thought Sir Alec Guiness was pretty sexy-lookin'. *sigh* I have this thing for distinguished older gentlemen.

MT that's a tough situation. Kids with Asperger's are a real challenge. And because they have no noticeable physical deformities (like people with Down's Syndrome do), a lot of folks don't believe that they have problems with emotional maturity and handling information. So they get dismissed as "bad attitudes". That young fellow is lucky to have someone as patient and understanding as you.

Well, #1 son has moved back in with us. He's tired of being poor and wants to save some money for further education or to take a real stab at a music career. Living with other young guys makes it too easy to party. We're glad to have him home. Although he looks and sounds like a Heavy Metal Rocker (and has some rather opinionated ideas), he's easy to get along with. It's a good trade-off: extra mouth to feed and an extra pair of hands to do chores.

Work is crazy-busy this week especially as I have taken on extra administrative/supervisory duties. Good learning oportunity, excellent mentor in my manager but (surprise, surprise) no extra $$$. C'est la vie. things should settle into a better rhythm soon. I have blocked off significant admin time, so that I don';t get inundated with students to treat. Ahhhm, time management, the bane of my existence.

OK, off to do some treadmill. Watching old episodes of Millennium whilst I tread away the kilometers.

Namarie. :wave:
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2006 02:50
Hi everyone. It's been crazy at school and I haven't had time to post although I have been reading and had to enjoy Swabby's new pictures and of course, Chad Vadar....he probably calls Darth to send him extra emergency cash especially when his '88 Citation breaks down!

I have to say I am a football fan: Mith, NEB can't be crazier than Columbus on autumn Saturdays. In fact, I need to head upstairs and lay out my scarlet and gray and my buckeye necklace for school tomorrow...Longhorn what???? Those cows will soon be hamburger. OK, I'll stop.

The orklings have breathed on me and given me a cold! Actually, I have a fine crop of orklings this year; there may even be a few elflings mixed in. And we have a new principal and asst. definitely elven warriors from Gondolin! They have tamed the wildest of the orklings already. It is going to be a peaceful, productive year.

Scots, I'm heading off to a workshop in two weeks to learn all about the Collins writing program. After reading the blurb about it, lo and behold, I've been doing it for years and didn't know it had a name...I think the Sindarin writing program sounds better.

To commerate the start of school and because I wantsss it, preciousssss, I bought a very nice LOTR sweatshirt black with the ring icon in gold. It'sss warm, oh yessss, it issss.

Anyone know when we are starting THE HOBBIT in the reading club? My Honors class is going to start reading it at the end of the month.

Sindy
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2006 03:25
A fly-by posting here before I head to my on-line grading site to input grades.

LOVED the Chad Vader movie. Combine the Star Wars fanatics that are my spousal unit and son with the fact that the spousal unit is the produce guy at one of the local grocery stores, it had me in stitched. WAY too much fun!

MT: I know what you're going through with the Asperger's kids. In the last period of my day I have TWO. Yep, that's right, two. Pair that with 4 ADHDs, and 3 SLDs, and you've got half of my class. It's a challenge to be sure, but I'm fortunate to have a couple of paras in there with me. It takes all three of us to ride herd on them thar orklings. Keeps me young though.

Well, off I go to post grades. I'm bound and determined to have some time to myself tonight and read. Sheesh! I don't like feeling guilty about taking time and reading.
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2006 05:01
Hi everyone.

Well, I definitely had a great day today. My boss at the Lottery booth was training a new girl and I think she will work out great. My boss told me today that she would never fire me because I came there with experience and if I quit she would kick my *** to you know where. I'm glad of that. She is a great boss.

Sindy: I believe that The Hobbit will be starting at the beginning of October. I still have not dusted off my copy of The Hobbit yet. It right behind me in the bookshelf. You should do well in that class. You will have this site and school to do the book. You are sooo lucky.

awelyn: Go to avg.com and download the free anti-virus 7.0. You can set it up so that it opens the upgrade every night when you are on computer. If you don't shut your computer off, then you can also set it up so that it runs when you are at work. You can do all kinds of things with it.

Neenime: It's nice to know that children can always come home. Sometimes after a while, they seem to settle in and think mom and dad would do all the work. I know it happened in my family and it was not a pretty picture. So be warned!!!!!!!!!!! I remember Millennium. It was great.

I picked up the second season of LOST today. I will watch it sometimes next week. I missed the two hour season finally so now I will be able to watch it anytime. I might be able to get the new trilogy of LOTR. I might have to purchase it on ebay. Right now I'm still waiting to see if it shows up here.

Well, I'm off to play some Harry Potter on my Gameboy Advance. Some relax time. I get to sleep in in the morning. Yippee!!!!!!!! :disco: :rolling:

Talk to you all later.

Namárië
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2006 05:48
Just stopped in since hubby is watching Football. Think I'm footballed out already and the season is just starting, lol! Sindy, I understand about you being a fan. Much of my family is, including my Mom. I've tried and even though they are showing all those guys running around in tight pants, it just puts me to sleep. Now, if it were Rangers running around in kilts, bending down to pick up those balls or reaching high (kilts rising :naughty: ) then for sure I would be all eyes.

Had to take the new FOTR dvd back to Walmart. Both versions were sticking in the same place and would not play...I had to advance and skip some. Of course, I had to talk about LOTR to the Customer Service lady there. She said she has never seen the movies! Maybe you have a point, Scots, about this being the POG. Now I'm feeling like I want to spread the word about it here, lol. To any who would listen anyhow.

Balrog, I checked out that site and it looks really good. I saved it on my favorites for when my Norton expires. Thank you! Nice to hear you had a great day.

Eye pad stretchers, Swabby? That is too funny. Oh and by the way, the secret to not shriveling is to keep moisturized. As well as not staying in the water too long. Sounds like you were quite a handful as a youngster. Do you ever miss those wild and crazy times?

Well, the game is almost over and then it will be my time to watch something. I'm still on the new LOTR's. The commentary on TTT has some hilarious parts, especially right at the beginning with Billy and Dom.

Goodnight (day) all. :hug: :hug:
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2006 10:15
Swabby I don't think Silverleaf needs those eye patches...
Shall I pencil you in before or after my next bath?
And do you want the Regererative Shampoo or the
Tangerine Restorative Shampoo?
I think the Yardleys Oatmeal Soap goes best with the
Regenerative Shampoo...
and the orange soap with the Tangerine restorative
Shampoo..
Any one else need penciled in for a bath with a Ranger
in the tub?
I'm dreamin again I know! LOL!!!

I am almost done with the Gray Dressing-gown and
the Black Overgown...
I'll attempt to get them done over the weekend and
pressed and photoed to put up in the coming week...
I'll also photo a few waist cinchers I have finished.

Is the Hobbit on the list to read then?
I am so behind it isn't funny...
Perhaps I can get it read before the term starts.

Not much happened at Nightwatch it was quiet all
the while I was there... It was first thursday [I think].

It is friday already so TGIF! :yawn: And :hug: for Everyone!
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2006 11:54
You can't close your eyes for a moment. Lol!! *scans the posts*.

MT, Scots and Sindy, I really hope things get back on an even keel for you. I have had 12 months of varying kinds of stress, not least the horrendous time at work. But thankfully that has eased. Hugest hugs to all three of you. :hug: Hang in there girls, we are Shieldbearers, Warriors!!

Swabby: OUCH!!!! That had to hurt ~ slight understatement I know. Unfortunately, bikers usually come of worse in any kind of accident. Aren't we lucky that you survived and are here now so that we ladies have the good fortune to know you. *Is that slushy, or what!!!* Rofl!!!

Yes, Cat, the Book Club will be reading The Hobbit, I have an inkling (ho ho, excuse the pun!) that it is starting at the beginning of October. I am really looking forward to that.

Sindy: *points up* Book Club, October.

Here's a link to Potbelly's post: Book Club ~ The Hobbit

Balrog: LOST is sooooo good. Mind you I have been through about half a dozen theories. Lol!! My daughter has seen the last episode of Series 2. She said if I was expecting to understand what was happening ... forget it!! Lol!! :twitch: It must be about one of the most addictive series I have watched, except perhaps for '24'.

Awelyn: I was also going to suggest Grisoft AVG. A really good free anti-virus programme, and pretty reliable. I have used it and was very happy with it.

Neenime: It is good that kids can come back to the nest, and why not. My home will always be my kids home. Who laid out these rules that try to make you feel uncomfortable if your children don't fly away, and the children for that matter.

Ooops. *notices a soap box sliding close.* But it's made of Oatmeal, so I'll use it in my bath instead.

Mith: Yes, there are people out there, who haven't seen the movies, and I bet not even read the books. *shock, horror*. Even in a big city like Manchester, there will be those poor lost souls. Mind you, in my office, there are four lost souls who haven't seen the films or read the books. I am in a desert from 9 - 5, five days a week, unless I sneaksss on here of course.

Okey dokey ... sneaking done. Huggles y'all. :wave: for now.
jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2006 02:00
Been trying to catch up with all the posts. Have'nt been here for a week and my head is spinning. I'm packing up, selling up and moving into an apartment. So life is busy. Will miss my garden, but not shovelling snow.

OK Football is not my thing. Do not understand it and probably never will. Now rugby is another thing. Great game and there is nothing like being in the stands at an All Blacks game in the stadium in Wellington, with everybody doing the Haka (traditional Maori war chant).

Rose: love your Steve Irwin tribute banner. My son lives very close to Australia Zoo in Queensland. Definitely a much loved man.

Swabby: Glad you are OK. Owned a bike for a year when I was 18. Thought I was God's gift to mankind then (did'nt last)

Tom: Signed up for the Hobbit. Looking forward to reading it for the umpteenth time.

Awelyn: I have the AVG. Its great, well worth downloading. Love the Lost series. Wish I could figure out what is going on. Also a 24 fan, that really keeps me on the edge of my seat.

This is so brief. Ah well. Gotta go sort, pack and generally chuck out everything thats associated with years of being a packrat. Not throwing out any of my LOTR stuff though - that stays!
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: September 08, 2006 03:29
Jess I too am a pack rat so I understand what you are going through with packing and throwing things away. I sometimes have to be tough with myself and make me throw things away when I am cleaning. What makes it worse my husband is a pack rat too. I hope you enjoy your new apartment. I tried AVG and was not happy with it. I found a new one last night it is Kapersky labs or something like that I am trying out for 30 days.

Rose, do you know of a address that you could send condolences to the Irwin family? I have looked on the Internet and can't find one.
I to have joined the book club to read the Hobbit. I can't wait.
I agree about children coming back and the way it is today it is very difficult to get your own place because of lack of funds.
I am a Lost fan and the new episodes start in October. I just love Dom on that show. Sorry you had a stressful time and no one at my office has read the books or seen the movies. It is a good thing we found each other. We are an oasis for each other.

Cat, How good the soaps must smell. They sound lovely. Yes the hobbit is the book COE book club is reading in October. Yes, I do thank God it is Friday. I am ready for the weekend.

Mith I have not been able to see my FOTR new dvd yet. My daughter is a TV hog. I am going to watch it tomorrow. You must be getting so healthy and fit (like you needed it) . I think you were looking fit in your last photos. You were swimming you lucky thing. How do you like your apartment so far?

Balrog good for you. You sound like you had a relaxing time. Lucky you that you get to sleep late. Have a good Friday

Swabby, you poor thing. What a scary thing for a little boy. My brother had a bicycle accident when he was 8 on gravel it was awful. It was not as bad as yours but he came in our house with blood all over his face from a cut over his eye and he had cut his lip. You have to watch that gravel. I am glad you did not have a injury to your hands. What we do without the Swabby drawings that we all love .

I have to get ready and go to work. :twitch:
awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 08, 2006 03:37
Sindy, sorry you have a cold. I am getting a flu shot this year. I was sick so often last year. Have a good weekend.

Scots, you have so many of the special kids .It is a great thing that you have 2 para professionals to help. You have a good time this weekend and do some reading.

Neenime, no extra money with the added duties bummer. I am glad you get along with your son. The problem we have with our daughter is she does not pickup after herself. She drives me crazy.
Well, have a great weekend.
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2006 03:44
Awelyn: This looks like a good place. Steve Irwin's programmes appeared on animal.discovery. Looks like it might be well policed. I think I'll browse it tonight an take part. animal.discovery/condolences.

Sorry you didn't like the AVG anti virus, but glad you have found one to try out.

Chuckled about your daughter not picking up after herself, Awelyn. My son's room was a disaster area. He had things growing in there that could cure diseases. Lol!! He had never heard of closing doors or switching lights off. He would fall asleep with his computer on, his tv on, his stereo on. Touch them if you dare. He would wake and say ' what are you doing, I was watching that.' Lol. I would have him back in a shake of a lamb's tail, and my daughter too. :love:

Don't envy you moving Jess. Where will your apartment be. And you won't be throwing out any of your LotR stuff, really!! Here's me thinking you would. lol. I enjoy Rugby too, maybe even a little more than football. A man's game. I enjoy seeing the Haka performed.

When I went to the LotR Convention in Manchester, UK, Lawrence was a guest and entertained us briefly with a demonstration of using the Maori poi balls. He was funny, said he hadn't done it since he was young. I love that man.

Thank you, Jess, about the little banner. I couldn't let such a lovely man go into the West without a little recognition.

Sindy: Sorry I missed that you had a cold. Hope it soon leaves you. :hug:

Well, back to the grindstone. *ouch, my nose* lol!!

Rosie/Dracella xxxxx

[Edited on 8/9/2006 by Rosearialelven]
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: September 08, 2006 05:12
Hello, FoFers! TGIF!

MT and Scots, you've got my full sympathy for dealing with autistic or Asperger kids. Any kind of change confuses them, and their tantrums can be really over the top. :hug:

Hope you get well soon, Sindy. et:

Awelyn, in addition to an antivirus program, you should also have a proper firewall to protect your computer; the Windows firewall isn't quite sufficient. Some of my friends use ZoneAlarm, there's a free version for home users. I would also recommend getting Spybot to get rid of any possible spyware.

Have a great weekend, everybody!
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2006 05:23
That was a very sweet thing to say about my hands, Awelyn. My chin, it seems, is near enough to my head to share in it's indestructability. I've had many minor mishaps on motorcycles over the years (whew! a lot of m's) but I've never been hurt as badly as I was on that dumb bicycle. As I have said before about my childhood, I was very curious and high-spirited and had no one watching after me, so it's a miracle that I ever made it to 16. And then I started driving cars! (Oh boy!) My guardian angel has won it's wings a thousand times over.

I think my comment about "pad-eye stretchers" was totally misinterpreted. A "pad-eye" is a specially designed attachment point for a tie-down hook, used for securing aircraft or cargo, etc to the deck of a ship, aircraft or parking ramp. It was an old Navy joke to send a young recruit on a wild goose chase looking for something that didn't exist. Sometimes they were sent out to get a "gallon of prop-wash". If any of you ever watch Spongebob Squarepants, he was sent on such an errand once for a non-existant, really ridiculas spatula. Of course he found one within a short while. Cartoons.
So what I meant was, I'd send Silverleaf on a very long errand while I took his place and got me a fancy bath.

Good luck with that move, Jessamyn, and I hope you'll like your new place. One question, though, can you fit us all in there, in case we wanna come over? (I like oatmeal cookies and coffee)

It's a dern good thing you come from sturdy stock, Scots. I'd probably pull my beard out if I had to deal with all those difficult kids.

I think I'll wait untill later to take a dip in that pool, Mith. Later like about....July!

It's nice to have you back with us on a regular basis, Rose. I know I speak for everyone when I say that you were sorely missed.

And where the heck is MT? I do hope she didn't go off to drown her troubles in a bottle after that kid fired her. Booze will just turn her Ranger-attracting wiggle-walk into a wino-attracking wriggle-walk. That wouldn't do at all.

Balrog, I'm glad to hear that you're in better spirits. Sindy, I still love you, even though you're a...gulp....fubah fan. After all, there are fouler things in the dark places of the world that you could be. (politics)

Calle, Mel, Neenime, Randi, old Tom, HT, etc, etc, I hope your all doing well. Happy Friday! Swabby
jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2006 09:51
Oh for a pint in the Green Dragon and a pipe of Old Toby!! :banghead: I'm feeling the need for a good stiff drink. I feel like Smaug hovering over his hoard. I am really trying to be ruthless, but the keep pile is getting bigger and my sis keeps adding to it. I'm about to throw a hissy fit and maybe do deeds most foul! :evil: Came back for a sanity break. Hey MT you wanna join me in a bottle. We can drown our sorrows together!!

Thanks for the explanation re: the pad-eye stretchers Swabby. Will definitely make you some oatmeal cookies and anyone who loves coffee can come as well. May even throw together some lembas bread (cheesecake might be a better idea). Scots you can come too. You sound like you need a break from all those kids. I think all you teachers are definite candidates for sainthood.

Rose: You saw Lawrence using the poi balls? He is so tall. Tried that once myself and nearly brained my old dog with them. He was not impressed.

If you go to the Australia Zoo site. I do believe they have something up there where you can leave your condolences. Steve was a very quirky, different guy. A true loss. Feel sad. May cry. :sob: Need a hug. :hug: :hug:

OK. Sanity break over. If my sister moves one more thing into the keep pile. I will personally do......................grrr
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2006 10:28
Thanks swabby. Good to be back. :love:

Jess, this is Nemi, a cartoon strip in our local paper. Nemi is a great character, a Norwegian Goth girl. This one seemed to suit your situation. Lol!!

And thanks for the heads up on the Australian Zoo site.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2006 12:36
Sindy-I am glad that you feel confident about the year. Having Elvish warriors on your side is a good thing!

Nissssse T-shirt. We’re glad that our Precious Sssssindy hasss gotsss it in itsssss hot little handssss!

Balrog – I know what you mean. Our guys DO help but it’s very much o their timeframe. Sometimes it seems by invitation only. It sure is a far cry from the heavy-duty, over-responsible approach that was instilled in me. Now, if we can fid soe balance between those extremes we’ll be doing well.
[/url]
Rose – I tend to agree that children should feel comfortable returning home if they want or need to. Sometimes, though, it’s too easy and they don't develop their own strengths . Also , hubby and I are at an age that it would be nice to have a little privacy now and again ( if you takes my meanin’). Mind you, between his arthritis, diabetes, the cardiac medication and my own stress and tiredness –well we won’t be missing that much “whoopee” time. LOL :blush:

Jess I feel for you. am real packrat too so it's hard to let go of things. Let me offer a lovely Raspberry Tiramisu for dessert at our Green Dragon meeting. (PS, it's really good and easy to make.

here is a link to the recipe.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2006 02:26
Did yiou all notice the moon was full? The orklings did!!! Thank God it's Friday!

A good teacher friend works evenings at an auto repair shop *that one that sells their own brand of tires), He said last night the customers were absolutely wacko and as he locked up and drove away, he thought it's like there's a full moon and WHAM! he turned onto the main street and there it was rising round and orange above the trees,

Rosie, regarding LOST, I sse dead people...yes, I'm pretty sure I see dead people,

Thanks for the cold sympathy! I found a Tylenol flu capsuile in the hall closet (plenty of Advil cold, Advil flu, Advil migraine) but I can't take it since my surgery. It worked really well but I woke up bright eyed at 4:00 AM. Wish I was just as awake at 11:30 with the kiddies!!!

I think I'll leave the DH to watch Stargate alone tonight and hit the hay early.

Swabby, I've got great bike injury stories from my childhood. You know, the era of survival of the fittest. No helmets, or kneepads, or in some cases brakes. We constantly had bandages dangling from our knees but never a broken bone (must have been all that milk). And if a dog bit you, your parents knew it was your own fault. "What were you doing to it?":cry:

It was in the time when there wasn't a child molestor hanging from each tree and we used to pack bolongie sandwiches (without any coolpak devices) usually with mayo and ride out after breakfast to the reclaimed (ha!) strip fields behind our house and spend the entire day riding...getting home dirty and sweaty just in time for dinner. There were three steep hills with big swooping bends between my house and the flatter plateau with its dirt roads between sharp limestone outcropping and patches of alflafa and ground hogs. These bends of course ended in 100 foot strip walls so missing them wasn't optional.

Ta, the tabby cat is encouraging me to bed early.

Sindy

MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2006 04:19
Appreciate the prayers for me and student that fired me, mith. God knows that he's going to have a more difficult path through life to travel than most of us.
A game with rangers in kilts that involves leaning over to pick up balls...................:evil:

Sounds like you had an extremely bad case of road rash and crashitis, swabby. You healed up well enough to be a handsome man,though. Guess that's due to your clean living.
Chatted with the neighbor today and hubby told him that I salivate when he cranks up his motorcycle. I told him that next time I hear that roar, I'll be out in the driveway with my thumb out. Bet he won't get near that motorcycle for an age!!!

I do wonder what this world is coming to when a kindergartener can fire his teacher and then I hear about your grandson comforting your daughter, awelyn, and I think everything will be alright. Hope that both of them have gotten over the tooth ordeal.

How great it is for #1 son to be coming home for a bit, neenime. Seems as if he has good reasons to do so and a sound plan to get back out on his own as soon as possible. Says alot about your relationship with him that he feels comfortable in returning to the nest. Hope that each of you enjoys this time together.

Hugs to you, sister-in-thralldon, scots. :hug: Have you been fired yet???

Thanks for the encouragement, Rose. Yes, we are warriors, brave shieldmaidens who don't flinch in the face of horrific orclings and their mischief. Having a ranger (and a sword) would surely come in handy!!:love:

MT

vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2006 12:24
Hmmm packrats yes I am a confirmed packrat myself...
so I decided to pack soaps that way they disapear and I can get more...
same with bubble bath.LOL!

I've to get a house soon so the grandkids can visit...

I do hope that all the teachers get some good rest this weekend...
I'm posting late so I'll go take a nap now.

Will let you know when the photos I submitted are up.

swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2006 04:35
Did you get that stiff drink, jess? (Not too many, I hope) I look forward to hanging out with you and the gang and sampling those oatmeal cookies. How nice of you to say you'll make them. I'll be over as soon as I get this old transporter back up. It came off of an old Ferangay (Is that how you spell it?) vessel and it's really hard to get parts for. Also, it does terrible things to your teeth when it's not working right.

You are right about the past, Sindy. I feel badly for todays kids because they don't have near the freedoms that we had.
Another quick bicycle story-- I was about 7 or 8 and hadn't been riding long when my handle bars came off while speeding down a hill. Unable to steer, I was at the mercy of the laws of physics and was most likely about to meet my doom, or so I thought. I veered off the road and went straight into a ditch, which sent me flying, handle bars in hand, and I came down on my back in the middle of someone's garden. Another quick intervention by my guardian angel, no doubt, as I fell softly on a patch of green beans that was so thick and lush that it may as well have been a feather bed. Nary a bruise did I suffer. A few minutes later I held my first wrench in my hand and tightened my first bolt. I learned much that day.

Funny cartoon, Rose. Hoarding can be a very unfunny thing, however. I'm bad about saving things, too, but a real "hoarder" won't even throw away the box their new shoes came in. I know two women who are like that. Both of them live alone and the interiors of their houses are just shocking to behold. Couches and chairs everywhere, but not a single place to sit because absolutely everything is piled high with magazines, clothes, empty boxes and you-name-it.

Aw shucks, MT, you're gonna embarrass me. Maybe I could beat poor Gimli in a handsome man contest, but I'd never make the stud-muffin "A" team. Maybe when I was young and hadn't been ridden hard and put away wet so many times. When I bend over to pick up some balls, it is usually to keep them from getting stepped on.:cry:

Happy Saturday all you FoF'ers! Swabby

Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: September 09, 2006 07:02
I just put Cat's photos up. Lovely dress!

Today, I arranged myself some "me-time" and went shopping; I had noticed that, all of my tops and T-shirts except the tank tops I wear in the summer were black or white, and many of the different bands' tour T-shirts are quite big and loose, so I went and found myself a few brighter and more close-fitting tops. Tomorrow, I'm planning to take a long walk, if the weather is as nice as the forecast let us understand.

Hope everybody's having a nice Saturday! :hug:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2006 07:28
If we shieldmaidens were the judges, you'd win the handsome man contest, swabby. Handsome is as handsome does, you know. And you "do" handsomely.

Love those swan boats in your avatar, morwin. Makes me want to sail away to some peaceful shore. Cirdan, take me away.

How did you know that I wiggle-walk, swabby? Have you been talking with my brother? He's teased me about my doing so for years, as if I had any control over the matter. That part of my anatomy has a mind of it's own. I've told it to be still, hide, and act like it's not there. Could've been talking to the moon. Maybe things will change when I transition to my "walker days."

Have a swig, Jess dear, then please pass the bottle back to me. It's been a long "short" week. And I do intend to relax a bit this weekend.
Sainthood...me??? Don't think that's a possibility. but then again you don't know me very well yet.:evil:

Noticed the full moon, sindy. I was out setting a trap for....err, trying to spot a ranger.
Ranger in the night, exchanging glances. Ranger in the night, I hope he dances in the glade with me. Don't think I'll let him go. Oh no!!!:love:

I must find some time to rest, as vicarcat has suggested. She's a health conscious elf, so I must do as she says. Any words concerning ranger acquisition, vicarcat??

Hugs to awelyn, HT, Tom, Mith, Rose, balrog, Belle, neenime and any other FoF'ers my fried brain has "misplaced"

MT
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2006 08:05
Quote "Couches and chairs everywhere, but not a single place to sit because absolutely everything is piled high with magazines, clothes, empty boxes and you-name-it. "

Oh dear Swabby! I didn't realise you could see into my house in Edinburgh all the way from Arizona! You must have elven eyes.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

Love and hugs

HT:heart:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2006 04:35
I fear our site is quite ill from all the trouble I've had getting on, and then you must have the patience of a rock while waiting for each page to load. I'll not tax it's feebleness with too many words.

From afar I have peered into Roses' drawers and spied her frilly things, envisioned Randi's long dark hair flowing with the wind, observed a certain wiggle-walking shieldmaiden from behind, and now I've seen HT's old magazines piled high on her furnature. If any of you ladies feel an unexplained warmth on certain parts of your anatomy, you'll know that old "elven eyes" has fired up his radar. :evil:

Happy Sunday! Swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2006 05:19
Thank goodness, swabby, I thought it was just me regarding the site. I bought a new computer and was worried that it was that.

I'm surprised you could find my drawers Lol. HT's house and your observations, sound like mine too, although I do have to have my books in height order and piles of clothes have to look like a pyramid. A mild case of compulsive order syndrome. Lol!! Well, more than mild maybe.

And thanks for the warning about unexplained warmth. I was wondering what that was. Lol.

Hugs to everyone :love: Have a lovely Sunday.

Rosie xx
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2006 06:31
It is a beautiful Sunday! Enjoyed church this morning and then took a long walk with my doggy, sat on a hill on the grass and closed my eyes listening to the birdses. Times like that restore my elven half. Just gorgeous.
Pack rat? well I do collect and hoard LOTR items but other than that, no, I cant stand clutter. I have to be very organised. Even a crooked picture can drive me mad.
I remember those lessons learned on bikes. I remember once when my foot slid off the pedal and going down a small hill on the street I literally was on my knees at the mercy of my bike stopping using my knees for brakes. When i finally came to a stop and lookes at my knees they were a few layers of skin slimmer and pure white..for a second, then came the blood and lots of it. Ugh. I wont forget that day.
Awelyn, I sure hope your little grandson wont keep those memories of the dentist. Poor little lad. So sweet though to comfort his mum.
MT, could you pass that bottle to me please? A good swig of fine ale sounds nice. I could bring some fine summer pudding to our gathering. Fresh blackberries, rasberries and strawberries are abundant just now. yum!
hello to all of you mellyn. Always brings a smile to my face to read all the posts and feel at home with you lot.
awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 10, 2006 08:32
Swabby I tried for hours last night and I could never get connected to COE. I tried this morning and could not get on either. I was frustrated to the point of tears.

Calle that three year old grandson has a way with words. I put on a denim house dress that has a nautical theme light houses and gulls and boats on it. My husband hates the dress but the first time my grandson saw me in it he said I fink you look pretty Grammy. I treasure that dress to this day. Of course he got a kiss and a big hug from his Grammy. Your walk and hill sounds lovely.

HT, I have a neat side and it fights with my sloppy side all the time and at times wins the fight. I try to be neat but at times it is a losing battle.

Rose it is comforting to know that I am not the only one with piles of clothes. I have a mailing address to send a card snail mail to the Irwin's. I sent a e-mail but that seems so impersonal.

Morwin I could not see cat's costume yesterday . Do you think it was all the trouble COE was having that I couldn't? I wonder if a hacker was trying to hack in to our beloved site.

MTMS, come to my house I will fix you a bahama mama or a margarita. We will watch the new extended theatrical version of the movies and sing and dance with the hobbits at Bilbo's B-party. Jess can come to and Scots,Sindy and anyone that feels the need for rest and relaxation. What a grand dream. I wish it could come true. What a wonderful time we would have together.
Time for my Sunday nap. Be back later.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2006 08:47
For me, art, music and literature are far more important than any sport.

I second that! I do realize that sports do have their place. It's just what "chaps my buns" as Swabby would say, is the overemphasis on the importance of it.
I enjoy both sports and art (including music, drama, etc.) and I agree that sports take preeminence in the U.S. I wish things were a bit more balanced.

A perfect example was my visit in June of 1991 to the University of Tennesee in Knoxville when I was considering pursuing a masters degree in music there and participating in their opera program (not Grand Ole Opry ). The music facilities were rundown and pretty sad. On the other hand, their football stadium and athletic facilities were state of the art. I know their football program brings in a lot of money, but how about spreading it around the rest of campus?

We have an NBA franchise here in Sacramento. As the only big league sport the city has, it's pretty important in the minds of a lot of people. They play in the Arco Arena, built in 1988 for $40 million dollars. The arena sits not too far from downtown out near the airport.

In November there will be a bill on the ballot to increase sales tax by .25% to create revenue to build a new arena in the downtown area. The proposed site, a former railroad yard, is fraught with potential difficulties including what may be a HUGE toxic waste cleanup. The politicians who wrote the bill finagled the wording of it so that it only requires a simple majority vote rather than a two-thirds majority vote as dictated by law. It’s pretty shameful, if you ask me.

Furthermore, the basketball team is owned by a quartet of hotshot brothers whose fortune includes gambling casinos in Las Vegas, Hollywood studios, and recording labels. You're telling me these guys can't afford to build their own arena? Of course the threat is if these guys don't get their new arena they'll move the basketball to some city who'll pony up the $500 milliion for a new arena. How's that for gratitude to a region that has faithfully supported their team in good times and bad?

My wife and I are voting a big "NO" on the measure. We're not basketball fans, and believe that somehow the city will survive without the mega-wealthy playboy owners and their toy. Now if they want to create a .25% sales tax increase to repair the levees that protect our county from becoming another New Orleans, something we really need by the way, we'll vote "YES" on that.
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2006 09:10
Awelyn, I'm on my way and a pitcher of margaritas would be nice. I'll bring some chips and salsa and maybe someone will make some of those little meatballs in the BBQ and jelly sauce---yummy! Appetizers...why are they so much tastier thyan the meal? Wings, and jalapeno poppers, and stuffed mushrooms...yummy again!

What's everyone's favorite? And what sort of appetizers do you think they serve at the T.G.I. Friday's in Bree? (I've been grading papers and I think I need to go get lunch!)

One of my secret sins...the Weather Channel. When I'm home alone (except for the tabby cat) I turn it on and let it run for background noise sometimes. It's really relaxing when I'm gradng or doing laundry---like today. DH has gone off to visit mom in nursing home.

Beware Football.....Oh, I know I shouldn't say it but...what about those Buckeyes? So sad for the Longhorns...Plenty of shredded beef for those scarlet and gray fans to tailgate with :evil:...OK, I'm done. (Is your hubby happy, Mith?) OK, I AM done.

MTMS and Swabby, any shaking your way this morning? Gotta watch that New Madris fault line. :dizzy:

One more set of expectations essays to grade...better go.

Sindy

MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2006 09:18
The raspberries sound lovely, calle. Here's a good sized swig of ale for you, shared among friends. :cheers:
Here's to us raising a glass together one day in the future. It is my fondest wish that such a thing come to pass: the FoF Moot-make it happen!!

I also have neat/messy sides to my personality, awelyn. I bet we would be good roommates. (file this info for our future get-together)

I am enjoying the weekend greatly, HT, but it's going by much too fast! Church should be that last place to feel envious, but a friend who sat behind me today is recently retired. He was telling me how great retirement is. Hope I can last till then. :dizzy:

Glad that you took some "me time", morwin. It's so very important to renew and refresh yourself every so often. Sounds like you found some attractive items. Watch out for "swabby vision." Bet he'll be looking your way.

I agree with your thoughts on music/arts and sports, Tom. Balance is the key. Why is it that so many things in this world are so far out of balance??? I pray that wisdom, justice and balance are evidenced in the outcome of the voting in your part of the world.

Watched the "extras" on the dvd from the latest limited edition dvd of TTT. Liked it better than those on FOTR. Saw some footage that I hadn't seen anywhere before-Eowyn fighting Uruks in the caves. That girl can handle a sword! Saw a kid "twirling" the long pole used to light the candles in church this morning. I wanted to take it from him and show him some neat sword moves. I have to fight these shieldmaiden "want-to's" all the time!!!

MT

Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2006 11:11
I got wrapped up in that sports/arts discussion that I forgot the main purpose of my posting earlier, that is, to mention that yesterday was our annual Hobbit Picnic in the San Francsico Bay Area commemorating Bilbo and Frodo's birthday.

The past few years we've met at a fog-shrouded Stern Grove in San Francisco. However, the park got a bit torn up during the winter storms this past year so it's closed. Instead, we had the picnic on the sunny oak tree laden hills of Sonoma County, specifically, Olompali State Park.

The gathering was smaller than usual, as there were other competing events this weekend, and fewer people came in costume, but it was still great fun. We set up on picnic tables under the shade of some stately old oak trees, and enjoyed a very fine potluck picnic.

The weather was just right, not too warm and not too cool. When it did start to warm up a bit in the afternoon a lovely breeze wafted in to cool things off.

We had a trivia contest, a hobbit-inspired food cookoof, and some lovely readings and recitations of our favorite author. Naturally, I did my dramatization of "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil". To give it some new life, I recited the first two lines in German.

Tom, der alte Bombadil, stets vergnügt und munter,
Trug den Kittel himmelblau, gelbe Stiefel drunter…

Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2006 03:30
If we shieldmaidens were the judges, you'd win the handsome man contest, swabby. Handsome is as handsome does, you know. And you "do" handsomely.

Yes, in fact, I would go further and say that ALL our men-folk (Swabby and Tom) here are the greatest. They have shown us their quality time and time again. :cheers:

Slow site? Glad it wasn't just me. Thought we were having computer problems.:killcomp:

Cat's dress? For some reason I'm notfinding it in the Gallery. Tried Members and tried the costumes section. Where is it?

Weather channel, Sindy? Have never been that desperate. We have satellite TV and I go to the New Age -Instrumental channel for great background music. Drives my men-folk nuts. They like rock-n-roll, techno-dance and that sort of thing. Too bad! Hubby and I had to listen to a lot of "
jam sessions" with their garage bands. SO they can put up with a little Enya, David Arkenstone, Enigma, etc.

Full Moon? You bet I noticed. I go out and do y little ritual during the full moon. Hubby also took some great shots of my stone circle by moonlight for a contest his photo club was having.

[Edited on 11/9/2006 by Neenime]
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2006 09:18
:cheers:
I agree wholeheartedly. We have the best guys on our side. Heres to you Tom and Swabby! :cheers: :cheers:
MT, I am all for a fof-moot. And why cant we?? With enough time and planning, why cant we? 'All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us'. One thing I have learned through the passing of time is if you want something you have to go after it.
Tom, the picnic sounded great fun. Wish we could all have joined you and your friends.
Sindy I thought I was the only sad one to actually listen to the weather channel. We dont have it over here in the UK and I must admit thats one thing I miss. I used to be fascinated with it. Dont know why?!? :dizzy:
Awelyn, nothing like the honesty of a child. Cant blame you for treasuring that dress. Thats so preciousss.
I had trouble with the site yesturday as well. I finally had time for a quick post and it took two tries and about 15 minutes to submit it. ahg! frustrating! I cant seem to find Cats dress either.
Well, time for work. Have a good day everyone!
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2006 10:48
OK to find my whitedress and armguards look under http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=My_eGallery&file=index&do=showgall&gid=569

Or if the link doesn't work look under - fan art, members art, misellaneous.
I have three pics of armguards and two pics of the white dress up on the
first page.

Sigh....
I will get more photos up as I have Silverleaf take photos of me in the
outfits...

I will pray for peace later today as it is 9/11/06.
Not an easy day but will work on projects between services and prayers.

I have :hug: for Everyone.
And Silverleaf makes a lemon Lembas that melts in your mouth so anyone want some?

I've to nap now so will post later...
Thaks for the kindness everyone has been sending my way!

swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2006 04:48
Thank you kind ladies for speaking so well of us menfolk, although I'm pretty sure old Tom is much better behaved than I. I was much too quiet and shy around the girls when I was a youngling, so now I must make up for it.

Nothing shaking around here except my old hound dog trying to pass a peach pit, Sindy. I think MT was much closer than I am to the tremor in the Gulf, but who can tell if it was seismic activity or just her doing the jitterbug?

calle, please forgive me if I'm too bold, but I can't believe a lady as pretty as you would need the weather channel to keep her company. Surely you jest.

Neenime, I like that new age music also. My dad always slept with the radio on. Sometimes I would turn it off in the middle of the night and then he'd often wake up.

I also am a mixture of messy/neat. My workbench in the garage is messy right now, but I hate a messy kitchen or a car with a dirty interior. I could buy MRS Swabby a new Mercedes, and within two weeks, it's interior would look like the city dump. Makes Swabby have crazy wild fit, it does.

Vicarcat, I saw something on TV about runaways in Portland. Do you work with those? They all had rings in their noses, which makes me wonder how they got out in the first place.

Happy Monday! Swabby

<< First34567Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email