Register

<< First23456Last >>
Author Topic:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part VIII
on: September 04, 2006 03:49
Here's a gal who's glad not to have to "labor" today. I am going to the local coffee establishment to meet friends and chat a good, long while. Afterwards, I'll probably return home (can't go far, as my car's acting up-DRAT!!) and do whatever suits my fancy.

I also, was saddened to hear of Steve Irwin's death. Such a dynamic personality and enviromentalist he was! He reminded me of Feanor, with a firey spirit whose body could scarce contain it. I imagine Steve coming to the "Pearly Gates" with lots of smiling animals greeting him with "welcome home" signs and roaring accolades of love.

MT
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 04, 2006 05:39
*claps hands* Yay!! I got it right. :love: I think it was the mouth and the stare, swabby that gave it away.

Have any of you seen 'Cars'. What a little gem of an animated film it is. I love it!!! The characters are so adorable ... I thought 'Mater' was just the most huggable. And Paul Newman (voice) was the Judge. It is well worth a look. Well, that's if you like animated films.

MT: Your coffee day with friends sounds great. Enjoy, and enjoy the company and coffee too.

I agree, swabby, about Steve Irwin and those of that ilk, living on a very thin edge. One could almost say it was inevitable. He really did push it to the 'N'th degree. And I would imagine that Terri is in bits by now.

MT: I loved the image of Steve Irwin at the Pearly Gates. Bless him. And the comparison between him and Feanor is on the button. Steve Irwin was so intense, it came out of his ears, his eyes, everywhere. lol!!

Well I am just winding up at work, thank the Lord. Really didn't feel like it today. But needs must, the devil drives, so they say, and at the moment 'needs must'. Lol!!

Another 18 months, I think then I will definitely turn it in. I've worked since I left School, apart from a year or two when my kids were born. I left school on the Friday and started work on the Monday. None of this 'year-out' malarky and mother waited on pay day for half my wages. Half!!! Good lord, kids today would squeal like the proverbial pig!! lol!!

So I think 40 odd years at the grindstone is enough, although I will probably get a part time job. Can't see me not working, it would drive me potty. Lol!!

Well, I have yammered on for longer than I meant. Orcs are approaching, so I'll take my farewell of you dear people and tootle off.

Hugs, take care y'all.

Rosie xxxx
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: September 04, 2006 06:58
Well, another week has kicked in... Hope it's a good one for everyone.

Thank you all for your sympathy and good thoughts last week, when I had had a strenuous time. :hug: Now, it's been a bit easier; and yesterday, I really relaxed by going to the local amusement park with Mr Morwin and the younger daughter. It's a pity that my head and stomach don't suffer too many rides anymore, and the wildest ones I pass altogether, but I'll never be too old to get my face sticky with cotton candy...

Maybe we can't do much to relieve suffering in this world, but we can all do something. I remember that at least some of you do or have done some volunteering, for example. My personal contribution is a monthly donation to Unicef which I have directed to the education of girls in the Third World countries.

Got to go now; :hug: to everybody.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 04, 2006 08:11
Aiya! It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood!

Boy, has this three day vacation been ever so short! Spent too much of it working on school stuff. I wish that sometime I would learn how to be able to leave things at work and not be overwhelmed when I get back. Maybe in another 27 years worth of warping...uh...erm...shaping I mean, young orklings' minds.

I heard about Steve Irwin. How tragic but not a total shock beings that he had a very dangerous job really. I guess that he died doing what he loved which is something we could all wish for. My heart just aches for those little children now left behind. That's the tragic part.

Well, off to do a bit of writing. Cheers, all.
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 04, 2006 10:02
I must admit I felt really down all day at work. I feel like I lost a friend as well. I really loved Steve Irwin. Such a tragedy.
Yes...we can all help a little bit. My donations go to animal organisations, and otherwise I just do what I can as far as picking up the odd bit of litter or whatever.
Hope all you on the other side have a great labor day.
Swabby, your artistic ability astounds me...
g'night friends.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: September 04, 2006 10:39
Oh no, I loved Steve Irwin. BTW he has a daughter Binky and a son. His wife is American but I feel she will stay there and keep doing the work Stevo loved doing. I could be wrong she may pack it up and come back to the states. It makes me so sad. I feel like I lost a friend too.

There is no way that I can remember all the posts but here goes. Old_Tom_Bombadil your holiday weekend sounds full and fun. Have a great time.

MTMS,there have been times that I woke up and was shocked at my dreams. I agree with Neenime though as what the cause is for my scandalous dreams. Whee thank goodness I would not want to have multiple personalities. The grandkids did make me feel better.

Driving home I was stopped for 20 minutes because of an accident.It was a camper and it was awful.The highway patrolman looked so sad as did the others helping. I just appreciated the job they do for us.

Swabby,I can't wait to see the drawings.

Hi,Mith how are you adjusting to NEB.? Relaxing sounds so great. The roast does sound so good. I will be right over.

Hi Scots how was the gem show? You will be fine.
Hi, Vicarcat,Calle,Neenime,Jess,Mel

Well, Rose you have flying in quite often maybe it is all the feathers helping you fly. Rose when did Steve Irwin die?

Morwin have a great time and eat cotton candy for me too. I can't ride any rides that I use to ride because I get to sick.
I am glad I am back home and home with you all.
:heart:
awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 04, 2006 10:57
His daughter's name is Bindy and his son's is Bob. What a freak accident.
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 04, 2006 12:13
Hi awelyn. I hate to see traffic accidents. And yes, I have had my fair share of feathers. Watch out for the next pillow. Lol!!

Steve Irwin died today, filming a documentary off the coast of Australia. A freak accident indeed. Stingrays are supposed to be one of the most placid creatures in the sea, but then no one seems to know exactly what happened and any creature will defend itself.

Morwin, I am happy to hear things are becoming easier. Belated hugs to you. Mmmmm cotton candy, or candy floss as we call it over here. Fascinating stuff to watch being made.

Well it's getting late, so I'll be hitting the hay soon. :yawn:

Night, night everyone.
awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 04, 2006 12:52
Goodnight Rose. Sleep well.

Swabby I have just been catching up on your drawings. I am in awe of your talent. I can draw stick figures. So when any thing is created from nothing like drawing or sculpting or painting or even crocheting I am just amazed.

I am going to do some laundry and I am off for a early night. I don't get to sleep late around my grandchildren. So, I am very tired.:0
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 04, 2006 05:10
Hi everyone.

Just a note to say I did nothing this weekend. All I did was sit, watch movies, and put a glow in the dark puzzle of Gandalf together. I picked it up at Walmart. I will be putting glue on it and placing it up on the wall above the TV so that I can look at him all day when I'm on the couch.

I'm sorry to hear about Steve Irwin. I loved that guy when he did his shows. Loved his word "crikey" whenever he used it. Now I won't hear it anymore.:cry:

Well, I guess I will go do some writing also and then head for bed.

Namárië
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 04, 2006 05:24
Thanks for the hugs, Morwin. Glad things are going better for you.

It's good to see you again, Rose. Your presence was missed here!

Awelyn, sounds like you had a fun time with your grandkids. Automobile accidents are not fun to see. Thank God you were not a part of it and only had the bit of delay. We are getting settled here. Finally made it to one of the pools here. They have three, two outdoor and one indoor. And an awesome fitness center. No more excuses here, lol! Hope you get some much needed rest.

Swabby, your drawings are amazing as usual. I love how you truly capture a certain look with each character. Love what you said about the passion and dreams. The pill would be a good idea. An overall love potion for all those who live in hate would be even better.

Hope everyone had a good Labor Day weekend. It was a long one here. Guess I was missing family amidst too many football games and a bit of turmoil on the home front. Think I will put in some LOTR as soon as hubby goes to bed. Always seems to put me in a better frame of mind.

Love and hugs to all. I read all of your posts, just impossible without writing a book to reply to them all. But you are all in my thoughts and prayers. :heart::love: :hug:

Council Member
Send Message
on: September 04, 2006 11:16
Hi Mith, and thank you for your welcome back. It was getting a bit itchy in that cave. My cousin dragons are wonderful, but well, sometimes it's good to get away. You know what families are. Lol!! Braug enjoyed my stories of our fellowship though. He became *quite* a fan.

Where you are staying sounds lovely. Three pools. I so enjoy swimming but rarely get the chance. Well, no one to swim with I suppose and it can get a bit boring splashing around by yourself. I may make a concerted effort one of these days.

A pill!! Did I miss something??? Oh, I think an overall love potion would be grand, Mith. Could we put in the world water systems. Yeah!!

Hey Balrog. The Gandalf puzzle sounds awesome. Glad you seem to be more stress free lately. :hug:

Hi to everyone else. *leaves some sweetmeats for each person who comes in the FoF room*

Gotta fly. Ta ta for now. :heart:
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 04, 2006 11:38
Rose I don't post anything under manymeetings...
I've enough other stuff to read...
I do check the shields page at Eowyn Challenge when I make
my evening update on my miles to see how folks are doing...

I'm sad about Steve's death...:cry: His family needs our prayers...
And is there a way to send them E-cards? :heart:

Sigh much to do and I'm up late again... :yawn:

Hope Tuesday is better... :hug:

scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2006 01:23
Hope everyone had a good Labor Day weekend. It was a long one here. Guess I was missing family amidst too many football games and a bit of turmoil on the home front.

et: :hug: Awww, Mith, I'm sorry you had a bummer of a weekend. Hmmmmm, too much football in the PoG on a home game day???!!! That never happens! *Gag!* I truly dislike football intensely just because of that fact...well, other factors as well. If you think it's nuts in the Big "O", you ought to try it here in the capital of the PoG. I stick close to home and don't venture out during game days/weekends. It's truly insane! You have my number, so if you need to hear a friendly voice, give me a holler. I even figured out how to get the voice mail option working! May wonders never cease. :disco:

The spousal unit and I spent yesterday evening ripping out yew bushes that were in front of our hobbit hole. They had been there 40+ years and were seriously overgrown. The spousal unit is violently opposed to cutting down any kind of plant material but had to admit these had to go after we got going on them. We saw that they were more than half dead once we started working. A new flagstone patio will grace the spot this next spring along with a hedge of Rose of Sharon bushes for the privacy this hobbit craves. But it does let in the lovely light which the room desperately needs as well.

No school again today...well, there's school but not with kids. Inservice days. Think of me please...I'll be spending *all* afternoon at a language arts committee meeting. :yawn: :sleepy: I may need to think of something to liven things up...say venture an opinion or two when asked. Heck, I think I'll venture one even if not asked. When I was talking about said meeting last night over a small family gathering, the spousal unit asked me not to get fired so soon after starting. *giggle* I'm more diplomatic than he realizes.

Off I go to the Mines. At least there won't be orklings there today.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2006 03:43
I'm sorry you had to endure football torture, Mith. I agree with Scots in that I just detest the stuff. Why most men go so wild over it I'll never know. And the public schools, how the arts always take a back seat to sports. Boy, that really chaps my rear end. For me, art, music and literature are far more important than any sport. That's me, though, and I know I'm in the minority. I wish you and I and some of the others could have spent the weekend just having a regular Tolkien-frenzy and not even hearing that most vile of "F-words".

Thanks again to those of you who said nice things about my drawings. It is your opinions that really matter to me. I think some of you may have missed the new Samwise, though, because he wasn't on the same page with Glorfindel. I never liked any of the other drawings I had done of Sam, so I really took my time with this one and tried to get it right. I was a little disappointed that the scanner didn't pick up nearly all the details, however. Some drawings copy very well but others don't because they have a lot of very fine and subtle details that just don't get picked up. Oh I know, hang me with a new rope, right?

Rose, I had said in an earlier post that it would be nice if someone would invent a pill that would refresh one's relationships and restore the sparkle and electricity they once had. I would probably o-d on them.

Happy Tuesday! Swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2006 05:01
That's no problem Cat. Just wondered and I could keep a better eye on your progress. Lol. There aren't a lot of posts in the Éowyn Challenge thread on MM, to read. Crikey!! I sound like a Sales Rep. :naughty:

I presume you are referring to American Football. Not a game I understand. I enjoyed Rudy though with the lovely Sean

Soccer or our football is great. Nough said. Lol!! Don't want to bore the pants of you. hehehehe.

Ooops, missed Sam ... not a think I do lightly, let me tell you. I'll check it when I have left the FoF room.

A pill to refresh one's relationships, swabby. Hmmmm ... wouldn't mind a pill to refresh my memory. Lol. Or like a beer ad over here ... one to refresh the parts that other pills cannot reach. Lol!!

Thinking of you, Scots. *squeezes eyes and thinks hard ... scots, scots, scots* :love:

Well, short and sweet, off I go. Huggles y'all. Catch ya later. :love:
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2006 07:00
Yes, Rose, it's American football. Hubby is into the college football more so than the professional. Personally I understand and respect that he loves it but I have tried and like Scots, detest the game, lol. Swabby, love your way of thinking...a Tolkien frenzy weekend with all of us together and no mentionn of that f word. If only there were more men like you...but then, there can be only one, right?
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2006 07:03
:heart:Hi everyone

Swabby I checked out your new drawings they are awesome as always.

At the weekend I went into the city centre as I usually do. On the bus were several kilted men (Soccer shirts on top not the best look in the world) Indian ladies wearing Saris and loads of other tourists. Because I live here all the time I rarely stop to think about what a colourful place I live in. It will be a bit quieter now the festival is over but it picks up again at new year when Edinburgh hosts one of the biggest new year street parties in Europe.

One of the magazine publishers over here is bringing out a magazine series in which each issue will have a LOTR chess piece - the first one is Aragorn. I haven't seen it but it will be quite expensive. The first issue is £2.99 but after that the price goes up to £6.99 to give you a comparison my monthly cross stitch magazine has a cover price of £3.99. my mum would say I have too much stuff anyway. Isn't amazing how you never grow up as far as your parents are concerned? I'm not complaining I am lucky she is still here.

Love and hugs

HT:heart:
awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 05, 2006 12:47
Swabby I did see the new Sam and I adore it. It is wonderful . I don't give out compliments unless I mean it. It would have been great to have a Tolkien frenzy. I want that pill Swabby now please.

I like high school football if I know someone who is playing that I can root for on the field. I do not understand any of it though Rose. Thanks for dropping or should I say flying by.

HT, it does sound very colorful. I got my first FOTR new CD today. I may have to order them individually as I get the money. I hope they last. I am so excited I can't hardly wait to watch it.

Mith you are very diplomatic .

Scots how was the in service?
I hope I did not miss anyone. I have to get supper on the table.
Bye for now.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2006 01:10
Swabby just saw some more of your sketches. Whew! Eomer (muscles, sweat, etc) makes ME sweat! Faramir just needs a hug so badly that I almost grabbed my monitor. And Glorfindel looks great! Wow - you sure capture the essence of a character in the expressions.

Rose you'd appreciate some driftwood that I saw while hiking on Sunday. It looked like the head of a dragon! See the image second from bottom on right column of thimbnail sketches?

Our weekend hike was just magical. The temperature was warm but not crazy-hot and a fair, gentle wind blew around us. The volcanic rock in some places was polished like black glass. Elsewhere, striations of minerals (probably iron) produced an effect like marbleized caramel in something dark and gray. We had a wonderful time. Found a quiet beach full of driftwood where we sat and read for awhile.

The evening before was comedy of errors. The small town where we stayed apparently shut down for the weekend. There was one restaurant open and (we found out later) they were running out of food. Service was so slow, we could have cleaned the restaurant and cooked our own meal in the time to took to get fed. We could hear the staff panicking in the kitchen -no clean plates, no clean utensils,.....

My husband was served about half of what he ordered, but the teen aged waitress either lacked the training or the courage to apologize and offer something else. She just put the plate down and scooted away.

Hubby handled it very well. He was assertive but not blaming her. We finally got the story out of her and she called her supervisor, who said not to charge us for hubby's meal I finished my souvlaki with wilted salad (with cheddar cheese because they ran out of feta). So we repaired to the nearest A&W so hubby would get a burger.

The saving grace was drinking chianti in the motel room while watching The Four Musketeers (the 70's version with Oliver (be still my heart) Reed, Michael (the scarecrow) York, Richard (priest/fencer) Chamberlain, Faye (Milday) Dunaway and our friend Christopher (eye patch) Lee.

Good times!

[Edited on 5/9/2006 by Neenime]

[Edited on 5/9/2006 by Neenime]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2006 01:34
swabby, your drawing of Sam is wonderful! You caught his essence absolutely.

Thanks Neenime. That driftwood really looks like a dragon. Quite resembles my cousin, Braug. Lol!! Isn't it amazing what appears in a photograph that you don't expect.

Glad you enjoyed your weekend. Oh, I love that film. You didn't mention Frank Finlay. A very attractive musketeer, but I have to still my heart too at Oliver Reed. What a man!! I had the pleasure of bumping into him once in Manchester, literally!!!

It was years ago though, when I was about 18. He had just made 'Curse of the Werewolf' and I was on my lunch hour. I came out of the sandwich shop and ran straight into him, ending up on the floor at his feet. Lol!! Very gentlemanly, he helped me up, made sure I was ok and gave me a kiss on the cheek. Over the years, people often wonder why I have a dirty patch on my face. Lol!! Joking of course. *grins*. But it *was* a week before I did actually wash that part of my face. The things you do when you are 18. *rolls eyes* So I've always had a soft spot for Olly Reed. *sigh*

HT: They always do that, charge a small amount for the first issue of those kinds of mags, then whap, from then on it costs so much more. It would cost roughly £220 pounds to collect the chess set, and then of course there would be the board, unless they give that away as a bonus. Sheesh!!

I got hooked like that once, began collecting an Encylopedia of Horses. Cost me over £100 by the time I had finished. And that must have been, oooh 30 or so years ago. A lot of money then. Mind you, a lot of money now. Lol!!

Awelyn, enjoy your CD and your supper.

Night everyone. :heart:

MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2006 02:44
That pill to refresh the "spice" in a relationship is called romance, swabby. At least that's what works for me.:heart: A renaissance festival, trip to the beach, lots of attention and a little wine or marguerita are part of the ingredients of that pill. I'm easy! No high maintenence here!

Sounds like you're in an exercise haven, mith. Wish I were so lucky.
Sorry that you dislike college football. I've been a bit partial to SEC football since birth, as my father played for the University of Alabama and is in the Hall of Fame there on campus. I'm also partial to Mississippi State University where both sons graduated. Love those cowbells!!!
I felt a bit lonely on Labor Day as well, mith. Took myself to the beach, where I saw families having a wonderful time TOGETHER.

Good to see you around Rose. Missed you much!! :hug:

That glow-in-the-dark Gandalf puzzle sounds very wizzardly, balrog!

Hurrah for being around kilted men, HT.
Know what you mean about never growing up. To my father, I am a perpetual child. Never mind that I have a college degree, raised two sons and have a full time job and husband. I need him to tell me what to do....end of rant with smile on my face.

Got word from my sis-in-law that there's a celtic festival in Jackson,MS this weekend. Not sure if I can work things out to go, but how wonderful to know that something like this is in driving range for me. Kilts, bagpipes, whiskey tasting...sounds like lots of fun.

Maybe I'll dream of kilted men serving me margueritas on the beach.:love::evil:

MT

[Edited on 9/6/2006 by BelleBayard]
awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 05, 2006 03:51
Neenime I think that the other driftwood photo looks like a camel. I play the cloud game with my grandkids all the time. I am amazed that we can see the same cloud but it looks different to all of us. I loved all the photos they made you feel like you were there .

MTMS, romance huh? Well, my husband has forgot that part! I guess I need to remind him. Celtic anything sounds like fun. Now if I had a Jetson car I could just zoom over. We could go together.

Rose you interesting woman. A famous man kisses you and you kept it to yourself. What a great experience for an 18 year old.

Rose it is the new DVD the extended and the theatrical but someone is watching TV so it won't be tonight for me. My supper was good thank you. It was a broccoli and cheese and chicken pasta bake.

Grandson had the tooth pulled today but he cried. He was not suppose to feel a thing and I wanted it to be a good experience for him . When your three things can be scary. My daughter almost fainted though. She is really a very calm mom and has always impressed me with her strength. I fall apart if it is a family member I am glad it is over and he is ok.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2006 04:04
For me, art, music and literature are far more important than any sport.

I second that! I do realize that sports do have their place. It's just what "chaps my buns" as Swabby would say, is the overemphasis on the importance of it. It just seems so sad. The football players here don't behave all that well and get away with it, so that may color my whole perspective. *Hobbit jumps down off of very high soap box*

My workshops went okay. It feels weird to feel very lonely in a building full of people though. Almost like high school again but with more mature people. I'm glad that I have good friends in other places. Keeps me sane!

Actually I'm pretty excited about the language arts committee that I'm on. It's very challenging and makes me think outside of the very comfortable box that I've made myself over the last 20 years or so. We're rewriting the district's curriculum AND adopting new books/curriculum district-wide. I was particularly excited about the modeling of writing that we were talking about today. I didn't get the nerve to tell people that I write myself ,but eventually I will. I love reading and English. Weird, I know, but I'm funny that way.

Well, I really must go. I was feeling pretty blue and lonely coming home from the day, so I soaked in a REALLY hot tub with a REALLY cold glass of wine whilest listening to Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Now I'm pretty much in a puddle and must go to dream of rangers in kilts. *sigh* Life is good!

Take good care, all!

:hug: Scots
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2006 05:41
Hi everyone.

So much for having a stress free week. It was customer appreciation day today and last day of summer holidays for the kids. The way the schedule was, it left me all alone after 6 p.m. and I was sooo far behind in my work that I left work for the ladies to do in the morning. I did not like doing that but what was I to do? I was so stressed by 8 p.m. I was ready to :cry::cry::cry:. It was nuts today.

To those who don't know what Customer Appreciation Day is at Safeway: It is a day where the customer gets 10 times the Air miles or 10% off their grocery bill.

There was one thing I liked about the deli today: we got a new cooler in to replace the old rusted one. It was gross. This one has nice stainless steel covering. Only thing about it is that it will be hard to keep clean of fingerprints.

The Gandalf Puzzle looks great. I have to get a brush to paint on the Hodge Podge glue so that it stays together.

Well, I'm going to listen to some music to relieve this stress and play some games.

I will talk to you all later.

Namárië
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2006 02:33
I spent some time stationed on Whidbey Island, Washington in the early seventies, and the beaches there were just covered with driftwood. I guess all the logging that went on in the area had something to do with it. Not only did you find the most beautiful and interesting shapes, but much of the wood was bleached white and scrubbed smooth, apparently from it's long journey from the mountain rivers and streams, across salty seas, and finally coming to rest on a beach where it basked in the sun and was rinsed with rain untill it was found.

I'm sorry to hear about your rough time, balrog. If you get a little angry and have to scorch a few butts, we'll understand.

So, Rose, you got smootched by a movie star. I wonder if Salma would pick me up and give me a smooch?

We're still enjoying some cooler weather here and I'm hoping it will continue. We haven't had a proper Autumn in three years, which chaps my buns almost as much as football.

Happy humpday! Swabby
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2006 02:42
Hey, check this out! Chad Vader , Supermarket Manager (Darth's underachieving brother). Too funny!

Awelyn , yes I saw the camel, too. it could also be a lion with a Mohawk haircut! My friend found an awesome piece of driftwood about 6 feet tall and polished smooth. We smuggled it out of the park and she's put it on sisplay at her apartment. She's also an LOTR fan and said that it looked like Gandalf's staff.

Sorry about your grandson hurting. Poor fellow. I hope he feels better soon.

Rose a smooch from Mr. Reed! *swoon* I wouldn't have washed that patch either! Did you like him in The Assassination Bureau? I thought that film was a hoot!

Balrog sorry you got stuck with so much work. Our youngest also works at Safeway and the sometimes give him crazy shifts -ending at 11:30PM then starting at 6AM the next day!!!

...art, literature and music Amen to that!

[Edited on 6/9/2006 by Neenime]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: September 06, 2006 02:55
ROTFLMAO, Neenime! As a SW fan for years (since '77), I found that just too funny. Been too busy lately to comment, but couldn't resist this. Heh...

Sorry to hear you had such a horrid time, balrog. Yeah, I know what you mean and I'm sure the teachers and others who work in service related areas know how you feel.

TTFN!
awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 06, 2006 01:32
I agree about the sports issue. When I was going to college I was in my 40's and was amazed at the special attention and changing of the class room rules for them. One day I finally had it and ask the three cheerleaders who where also on the girls softball team to be quiet They would talk loudly through the entire class. I would sit on the front row but that day all the sports people were sitting there . I was so angry when they rolled their eyes and said pardon me. I think art,literature and music are very important too.

Swabby I hope you have a beautiful Autumn. How far from Seattle where you? My son is 5 hours from Seattle.

Hi Belle, it has been a long time since you were here. Are you still really busy at COE?

Sorry Balrog but at least it will be awhile before you have another customer appreciation day. Relax and play your game.

Yes Neenime it could be a lion with a mohawk I have not called today but I will call him later he said I am his favorite. He gets me all choked up sometimes.

Scots you go girl. I know what you mean about feeling lonely in a room full of people. You will make some great friends and then you won't feel so lonely. You have good friends here.
Have a good night or day.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2006 02:15
I was in college in my mid 30's awelyn. We "older students" were called non-traditional. I found that I was non-traditional in many ways. Studying, not partying; paying attention in class; actually showing up to class and having done my homework! Imagine a student behaving like that!

Hope that after a stressful day you can chill out, balrog, or maybe even warm it up in the hot tub as scots did. Turns me into jelly as well, especially after a glass of wine.

What a funny video, neenime. Makes me want to don my renaissance garb and weild my sword among the vegetables and produce next time I enter the grocery store.

Well, I got fired today....by one of my students. Asperger syndrome (a type of autism) boy #2 (yes, I have 2 of them!) got confused when he sat at a different table from his own today at centertime. When I asked him to return to his regular table, he insisted that he belonged elsewhere. I tried to explain, but he became infuriated and banged his fists against his legs and shouted vehemently "You're bad!" If looks could kill, then I'd be a dead woman now. He then announced "You're fired!", with the same weight that Donald Trump throws around.
Wonder if I should show up at school tomorrow????

MT
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2006 09:27
MT I think I'm doing your college experience ten year later.

Do show up for class as the other students didn't fire you...
and if you don't show they might just want their money back!

Balrog I hope your week gets better...

Football Gak! Can we do Archery instead Please?
Much more fun to watch Rangers put arrows into a target...
that is if I'm not watching them act in a play...!
Arts and Letters all the way!

OK who did I miss?

Ah Swabby, I got some new soaps... orange, mimosa, margarite,
primrose, and petunia... gotta keep my Ranger clean.. :naughty:

Scots, sorry about your grandsons tooth...
I hope he gets to feeling better soon.

OK who else? I forget... :blush: :blush: :blush: !!!
awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 07, 2006 02:46
Vicarcat it was my grandson's tooth and he is feeling better. He is three but it was infected so badly they had to pull it. His jaw is a little swollen. The day it was pulled my daughter felt so badly because my grandson had tears streaming down his little face when they pulled the tooth. The ped. dentist had said he would not feel pain. She was in the kitchen about 6 hours after the tooth was pulled and was feeling guilty and was in the freezer crying so none of her family could hear her and she heard a little voice say why you crying ma? It was the three year old and my daughter said I am sad you were hurting when they pulled your tooth. He gave her a big hug. He calls her mommy I guess he was trying to make her feel better. The new soaps sound wonderful.

MTMS, when Kindergarten students start to fire teachers what is the world coming to but on the other hand he knew the meaning of the phrase and used in correctly in a sentence. I was considered non-traditional also. Professors loved to see us coming to class.

Does anyone know of a free anti-virus program I can download off line that works?

I watched old footage of Steve Irwin last night I am sure going to miss him. I know his family is still in the throes of grieving and I understand how it feels to lose a parent but it is different for little Bindi. Have you seen Rose's banner it is a tribute to Steve. It is very nice.

I have to go take a shower and go to work See you later have a good day.:love:
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2006 04:18
*runs in, hugs scots, balrog and ... oh heck... everyone*

Just got a minute while the Orcs are out. HT mentioned a magazine in the UK with chess figures depicted by LOTR characters. .... No!! I heard myself saying .... no we won'ts buy the mag. ... *sly look for other self* Yesssss, we will precioussss. *other self raises chin* We won't you know. *narrowing of eyes* We'll see precioussss, we'll see!

Well, we saw. Lol!! I bought the first issue. It was only £2.99 and Aragorn was smiling at me I am sure. But between you me and the bedpost, I don't think I will buy the whole set. Way too expensive. I think I will just buy the Fellowship and maybe ... *leans back and looks either way ... leans forward again* Gollum!!

That's all. Gotta buzz. Huge hugs.

Rosie
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2006 04:54
Thanks for the hugs, Rose. They were so big I felt them way over here. And your Gollum imitation was so funny - loved it!

Awelyn, that was a cute story about your grandson. He sounds adorable. I'm not sure of a totally free anti virus program but I do use another program in conjunction with my Norton that is free called Spybot Search & Destroy. It is designed to detect and remove unwanted spy ware and is totally free.

Loved the Chad Vadar video, Neenime. I've been a Star Wars fan since they first came out long ago. I can still remember seeing the first one at the theater, just me and my son. He was young then, so was definitely some time ago.

MT, that must be quite a difficult situation. They seem to ask so much of teachers these days. I doesn't seem quite fair to anyone but then I guess life never is fair. You and Scots have really opened my eyes to what teachers go through. Both of you (and other teachers) deserve medals for your efforts. Hang in there and I'll keep you and the child in my prayers. Just close your eyes for a second when it happens and think Viggo:heart:Aragorn:heart:Viggo:heart:Aragorn:heart: .

Finally braved the cold water in the pool yesterday. It was very refreshing but definitely cold. I dove in twice and swam a bit but couldn't stay in long. I was told the indoor one is much warmer so will try that out when the weather gets a bit cooler. Meanwhile, I love getting a bit of sun, really makes me feel better.

Happy Thursday everyone! :love::heart: :hug:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2006 09:49
Vicarcat, would it be ok if I send Silverleaf out for a set of articulated pad eye-stretchers at his next bath time and slip a part ranger/elf/hobbit/human/sailor in his place? Mongrels like nice fancy baths, too.

Fired, eh? You can't let him get away with that, MT. If you do, just think what he'll be doing by the end of the year. Tell him that Barney hired you and only he can fire you.

Mith, if i went for a chilly swim, I'd come out looking like a big raisin. I'd have wrinkles on my wrinkles.

I had a terrible time with teeth when I was a kid. I think I was about ten when I had to go to the dentist and get a rotten molar pulled. The dentist shot me up with novacain and then went to mow his lawn--or something. About half the feeling had returned when he just blew in and ripped it outa me.
Then I had the most horrific bicycle wreck ever. I flew over the handlebars and landed on my chin. On a rock. Not only did I knock all the bark off of my chin, exposing my chin-bone, but I shattered two jaw-teeth and got up spitting pieces of teeth out. Luckily a man came out of his house with a first-aid kit and wrapped me up and took me to a doctor. (We had no hospital) It took several months before I could get on a bike again without getting sick to my stomach. Swabby
<< First23456Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email