Author Topic:
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part IX
on: October 30, 2006 06:51
OHIMA... (That one's very useful! )

Good luck with your thesis, Scots!

MT, here's hoping that your husband and his siblings manage to move their old folks downstairs smoothly! In the end, it sure will be easier for them.

My M-I-L is one of the real-world hobbits that I've met, both by size and character. Fortunately, she's relatively healthy, just her memory isn't quite accurate any longer, and for example, Mr Morwin takes care of all her bills nowadays.

Swabby and Awelyn, according to mugglenet.com, the next Harry Potter movie will open July 13, if there won't be any last minute changes.

:hug: to all of you, and nyah nyah nyah to Gríma!
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2006 08:07
Morwin, :hug:
*falls out of chair laughing at Morwin's response to Grima*
Way to go..Morwin! Just be sure he doesn't catch you now! :rolling:
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2006 11:22
Out of chocolate peanut butter cookies so thought I'd better either post or bake more cookies. Since I've eaten way too many, the choice was simple.

The Halloween festivities in your office sound like lots of fun, Neenime. Hope your circlet is in today's mail. Would love to see a photo of you in costume.

Randi, could just visualize your grandkids speaking German. What a great time in their lives to learn a second language. I can sympathize with you on the pronunciations...takes me quite a while to get any right. Good to know I'm not alone there, lol!

The book you mentioned seems very interesting, Swabby. Will have to write the title and author down for future reading reference. Are you cooking any tasty Halloween foods?

Scots, good luck with your thesis. Bet you will be celebrating when all this work is behind you. Did you manage to get outside yesterday? It sure was a beautiful day here in Nebraska.

I'm with you on avoiding stores the day after Thanksgiving, Awelyn. Much too crowded for me as well.

MT and other sister shield-maidens...found out from my sister-in-law today that I will be receiving my very own Ara-baby for Christmas! I am really excited about that. He may be two dimensional but every bit the handsome ranger we adore.

Hope you all have fun in your Halloween celebrations. Not much going on here and I doubt we get any trick or treaters as we're on the 3rd floor and very few children in this neighborhood. Will look forward to hearing all about your celebrations and seeing photos of you all in costume if possible.

Take care and have a great day. :love::heart: :hug:

cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: October 30, 2006 11:39
Just flying by. Was off-line for a fortnight while BT found an engineer with time to fix my line. Have now ordered my broadband connection and hope for more time on CoE soon.

Meanwhile, all sorts of bizarre stuff has been happening, which is strange for someone so uninvolved with the world. I just sit in my cottage, minding my own business and the weird stuff finds me.

Take care of yourselves and I wish you recovery from ills, pain-free joints, restful sleep, and paint that dries quickly and doesn't smell.
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2006 03:40
Hi all, Sindy says dodging swiftly to avoid Grima. My quarter grades are done! Yeah! Time to start over!

Eragon I think was written by a teenaged boy and he has added several volumes to the story. I have the book but haven't read it yet.

Wishing all of my arthritic friends a nice, warm cup of their preference and a snuggly sweater.

Tomorrow is All Hallow's Eve where the ghosts and goblins come aknocking. Rain is unfortunately predicted but I hope to get rid of the Skittles, Crunch Bars, and Starbursts. I have three new rope light pumpkins I am very pleased with. I dislike the really scary decorations like severed heads that scare the little kids to death....I was a real impressionable child and was terrified by vampires, werewolves, and especially Frankenstein so I can't imagine what Saw, Night of the Living Dead, and such does to today's sensitive children.

Scots, good luck on writing your thesis. Do you get the NEA magazine? They did a story this month on the disappearing prairie small schools. I thought of you.

bye all,

Sindy
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2006 03:46
Wishing you the best as you work on your thesis paper, scots. Know that you will do a marvelous job on it. Be sure to reward yourself with something wonderful when the task is completed. I give you permission.

How exciting for your grandkids to speak german, Randi. My 5 year old grandson lives in the Netherlands, but is learning german. He's taught me a few things. German with a southern twang is what comes out. Dutch has some german characteristics, but sounds more "smooth", like "southern-ese." Maybe if I lived there for a few years I could pick it right up.

I own Kingdom of Heaven as well, swabby. Love it's message. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of Alatriste. Viggo on a ship!! Oh let me sail off into the sunset on that boat!!:heart::love: :naughty:

My in-laws have agreed to moving downstairs. They seemed to appreciate the love and concern that went into making the decision. Hubby's going out of town to do some fishing and the project will begin when he returns. Thanks for the kind thoughts, morwin.

Your own Ara-baby, mith!!?? It just doesn't get much better!!:love::heart: What a wonderful sis you have, to gift you with such a priceless treasure. What's hubby going to say about your boyfriend/his rival living under the same roof?
When we have our moot, you can bring your Ara-baby and he can play with mine. (I REALLY want to make this happen one day!)

Glad to have you back with us, cirdaneth. Hope that trouble keeps iits distance from you.

Tomorrow is a "wash" at school. We'll do some math, decorate mini-pumpkins for the nursing home residents next door to the school, have our Halloween party, go trick or treating at the stores downtown in our jack-o-lantern t-shirts, read Halloween stories, eat lunch, write about our day, take a nap, go to p.e. and go home. I feel exhausted just telling about it.
I hope that Frankenstein fellow isn't around this year. He dresses up in an elaborate costume, wanders the streets of downtown moaning and groaning at the children as we trick or treat. I may have to bring my sword and dispatch of his gruesomeness.

MT
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2006 05:48
Mith..those chocolate peanut butter cookies sound delicious...*drool*
*hugs* no ..you're not alone with the pronunciation difficulty..I'm right up there at the top..
Cirdaneth..hope you get your computer fixed soon..being off line is a major PAIN! Believe me..I know..was off line for nearly a year!!
Weird stuff happening...careful...for tomorrow is the time for REALLY weird stuff!! l
Sindy...Quickly..Sindy! Hide here behind me..maybe Grima won't find you.. Thanks for the warm wishes..*gets a couple of cups of hot spiced apple cider with chamomile tea in it and hands one to Sindy* Join me?
MTMS..I know EXACTLY what you mean by the southern twang! lol Even worse with a strong Texas accent!! :blush:
Been busy all day..doing laundry..and getting things ready for three baby showers in Nov..and one of them is for my granddaughter!! :disco:
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2006 10:30
OK I know it is halloween but would someone else explain to Grima
that an Orc costume is a bad idea for him!

I will be in costume all through the day even for my capstone class.
I'll be in my gray Elven dressing gown with white undergown.
Will attempt to get a photo of it up asap.

OK Randi where do you get the time to do everything you do... eh?

Happy Halloween!
:disco:[dragons]:angel:[ghost]:evil:[fairy][pirate][cowpoke]:cheers::love:
Not enough types of smileys to get all the little gouls on the posting...

brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2006 10:39
I was so happy to read all of your posts. I always am.
Scots-Good luck with the thesis and thanks for the link to the Eragon movie. I have read the sequel as well and am eagerly anticipating the next book. The books are written by Christpher Paolini, who was only 19 when Eragon was published.

I am also eagerly awaiting the next Potter movie but in the meantime will content myelf with watching Happy Feet in November. Elijah and Hugo both have voice parts in that movie and Robin Williams has several voices. He's an amazingly funny man. We are taking all of the children in K-5 to the movie.

Tomorrow is Halloween here in the US. My students are so excited. Every year the PE teacher teaches them a couple of line dances to which their parents are invited. This year, unbeknowns to the students and parents, we teachers have developed a little song and dance of our own which we will perform in costume of witches for the assembled students and parents. It should be fun. Our whole idea was to surprise our kids with the silliness and fun of their teachers and staff. I can't wait.

Tomorrow evening we have an event called Trunk or Treat. It is sponsored by my local church. We invite our entire far flung community to come to the church and decorate the trunks of their cars and pass out candy to the kids. It grows every year and I'll bet we get over 200 children, plus thier families. We sere chili and donuts to everyone who comes and it a great safe, place for rural kids to trick or treat. It should be awesome.

Well time to crawl back into bed after my late night ramble (they are getting shorter), and get some more sleep.

Brandy
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2006 02:28

This is a very short one. I was off work yesterday feeling really poorly. Slept for 10 hours solid. Feel a bit better today.

I still feel queazy so am being lazy and wishing you all a Happy Halloween here. I would have sent cards, but my eyes keep drooping.

I'll have to give answering your posts a miss, although I have read through them. Honestly. :angel:

I really will get back on track tomorrow. Must run, Grima has just come through the door and I have been feeling quite nauseous enough. Lol!!

Bye for now and blessings.

Rosie xxx
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: October 31, 2006 04:12
Let me see if I can remember everyone. First Happy Halloween!
Rose I am sorry that you have been under the weather.Thank you for the Halloween graphics Get better soon.

Brandywine, I had heard that about Happy Feet and I am looking forward to seeing it myself. Your little music debut as witches sounds so funny.
One of the churches in our area is doing Trunk or Treat also. I know it is a safe way for kids to trick or treat. I hope we don't get the rain that is being predicted.

Cat, I wish I could be in costume all day but it is not allowed at my work:cry:

Randi, I am with Cat where do you get your energy. You have quite an interesting life. How was the Bar-B-Q? Granddaughter in November congratulations. You have a great day. Do you have many trick or treaters?

MTMS, how great that your in-laws were not angry but did feel the love. My mom always thought I was butting in to her business and would not do anything we asked of her. It was very frustrating. I hope you find some fun in your wash day at school. Have a Happy Halloween.

Hi Sindy, I remember when I was about 5 my aunt dressing like a witch and scared my brother and my sisters and me. I wet myself. I was so scared it was an awful experience and I remember it to this day. I have never had scary type of decorations or costumes around my children.

Cirdaneth, when you say your cottage I picture you sitting in a quaint cottage drinking tea with a cat on your lap and a fire in a fireplace. Weird huh it is Halloween what say you to a tale about your strange things?

Thank you Morwin for the HP info.

Mith your own Aragorn ,I know you are happy. Mith I love to shop off line . It is so easy and I have found bargains. They wrap it, put a card in it and they mail it. I love it.
Homemade cookies sounds yummy. Have a good day.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2006 05:07
I'm glad you could make it by, even though you're not feeling 100% Rose. Are you sure they know how to properly care for dragons at your house? If you can just manage to cross the big pond and come to my house, I will give you the royal treatment-----everything from scale alignment to pilot light cleaning and adjustment. What say ye?

Brandy, you serve chili and dough nuts? I usually serve crackers and cornbread with my chili. Of course I'm kidding! I serve corn chips and cornbread. I don't know who makes your chili, but make sure it's made with plenty of onions and Camino (cumin).

I've been thinking, Vicarcat, maybe an orc costume isn't such a bad idea for Grima. Folks won't recognize him and he may just be able to sneak up and collect some of those kisses he's owed.

Now Randi, your joints will never heal if you keep doing that back-breaking farm work. Let the young-lings handle that for a while.

Two Ara-babys? Oh Mith and MT, I think you're asking for trouble. Especially with yours, MT. Think about it, he used to be number one, but now he has competition. Neither of you should ever come home with the scent of the other's standee on you. Be most careful, girls-----you're playing with fire.

Awelyn, I want you to give me the names of anyone who ever makes fun of you so I can put a swabby hex on them. They'll be sorry for what they did when they find themselves eating six meals a day.

balrog, the last thing a person who's just had their breast-bone split wants to do is cough. That is how I quit smoking.

Now Sindy, you and the others who've been negligent with your posting are going to have to pay the piper at some point, so be sure to keep your lips moist and don't let this cooler weather dry them out, ok?

Happy Halloween! Swabby
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2006 06:56
Brandywine Trunk or treat – wha a terrific idea.

Randi Grandkids speaking German. Good for them. Their minds are so flexible at a young age, that they can pick up new information readily. My niece and nephews in Norway speak English, Norwegian, Finn and a little Ukraininan. Goodness!

cirdaneth I hope the bizarre stuff isn't all bad.

Hallowe'en is literally a scream at work today. we all dressed up -mostly wtches, a devil, a Teeny -Bopper. Even the doctor sewed some spiders on teh back of her lab coat. And one Nurse is dressed as a Cave Woman.

I am resplendent in my Elvish constume. Got hubby to take photos and will post them later. Unfortunately, the circlet did not arrive, but I made do.

Funniest things - wathing the witch type with her long nails Then she speared a bit of sausage with one of them! The other is figuring out how to go to the bathroom without dunking my 4 ft long hair or my train into the toilet AND manging it without taking off the body suit I am wearing underneath!. Won't reveal that secret.

Have a great Hallowe'en, everyone.

We're all inot thspirit of it - the students love it. Our manager convinced all the other dept.s in our section to take part in a decorating and cotume contest, which has been reat fun
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: October 31, 2006 07:13
Happy Halloween, everybody! :cheers: Here, it isn't celebrated generally because it's a fairly newly imported holiday, although some people arrange Halloween parties. I've celebrated by lighting the lanterns on the back porch and a candle here in the study.

We got the first snow today, or actually, the first slosh. I think I'll take the train to work for a few days; the roads are slippery, I've still got summer tires, and there are always some idiots who don't get it in their heads that they should drive slower than usual.

Get well soon, Rose! et: My older one's also caught a cold, and was off school today.

Brandy, the "trunk or treat" event sounds fun!

I think that I won't do much anything this evening - I was on an aerobics lesson after a three weeks break, we did a lot of thigh exercise, and my legs feel something like overcooked spaghetti...

Hope you all have a good day/evening! :hug:
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2006 08:29
Vicarcat, would love to see you in your grey Elven outfit! sounds lovely!
Brandy,that sounds like such a lovely idea, and a fun time for teachers, students, and parents.
I always tried to go to every school event my kids were involved in..and usually succeeded..except for when the boys were in football..at the same time.., but on different teams..Then I just went to the one who was playing the home game...then waited until the other one returned from his "away from home" game..(sometimes a wait of 2 hours or more!)
Great idea about the Trunk or Treat!
hehe (good thing I am proof-reading! found out that I had left out the letter *r* in treat! ) :blush: rofl
Rose..Glad you are feeling better now..(Hands Rose a cup of hot herbal (Elvish) tea, to help her feel better fast)
Awelyn :hug: I don't have time to NOT have energy! lol
Swabby..lol my joints are probably as good right now as they will ever be again! I subscribe to the theory.."We rest, we rust!" Especially in this weather! Very dampish...
Besides the younger ones are busy running the hog traps and dressing out hogs!! 11 in one week kept them moving...lol
Vicarcat and Awelyn..Where do I get my time and energy? "I gets up early and goes to bed late!" lol literally ..in somecases..I am usually up around 7:00am (sometimes earlier) relax on the front porch with a couple of cups of coffee..and just listen to the world wake up..then just mosey along thru the day...With frequent stops to smell the roses, 4 o'clocks, and any other flower; love on the horses, dogs, and cats, check the rabbits, goats, etc..do laundry, and hang out the clothers..(we have solar powered dryers here!) Just a routine day..and there is always lots of extra things to do..at night..after everyone else is in bed..I visit with a friend in NY city..He usuallycalls around 12ish and we visit for anywhere from 30 min. to 3-4 hours..It's a whole new world up there!!
Neenime, wish my mind was still able to absorb information as easily as kids do!
Really, really want to see the pictures!
Morwin, hope that you did not pull some muscles in your legs..:hug:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2006 08:57
Randi that sounds like a good pace at which to live. I also like to start my slowly, but that's a weekend luxury for me. Ah well, I get to enjoy all the more.

Snow storm headed our way. poor little Hallowe'en kids. It's such a pain to have to put the costume over a snow suit. I remember fighting with our kids about that. Ah well, the fun soon takes over, no matter the weather.

Rose - I hope you feel better soon. Sending some chicken soup and perhaps an Ent-draught by Special Dragon Delivery:love:
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2006 12:16
Happy Halloween!!! Rose, hope you are soon feeling better and flying in fine dragon form again. Saw some really cool calendars at the book store today and thought of you.

Can finally announce I will be a grandma again next May. My daughter was a bit cautious this time since she had miscarried on her last pregnancy. But the ultrasound showed everything looked perfect at this point. She said my grandson is full of questions about the baby and was particularly concerned about how the baby would come out. She eventually told him women are made special for those things. He replied, "does that mean you have a secret compartment?"

Two Ara-baby's together, MT? I think it sounds grand. The more the merrier. At least one for every shield-maiden. Now two Swabby's, is a different story. But we would know the real one by his special cologne. and superb culinary talents.

Neenime, sounds like you are having a fun day dressing up at work. Sorry your circlet didn't arrive in time. Hope there are no traces of tp on your hair.

It is very cool here today. Bought a couple logs for the fireplace. We just use the fake ones since we're here such a short while.

Thought I spotted an Orc earlier and realized it was most likely Grima in disguise. Nevertheless, it got me posting promptly.

Love and hugs to you all! :heart::love: :hug:

MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2006 04:47
Hope that you're feeling better soon, Rose. :hug:

My in-laws have changed their minds about moving downstairs. Hubby and his siblings are going to take things in hand and see that it happens. I'm concerned that hubby's father is depressed. His mom has Alzheimer's disease and is in no position to make any decisions.

There will be NO playing with fire abound Ara-baby I or Ara-baby II, swabby. They both have highly "ignitable" chatacteristics. They also get wobbly-kneed around water, so I have to keep A-B I in the dunes.:love::heart:

Dying to see your elvish costume, neenime. Elvishness seems to fit you so well.

First snow, Morwin?? It will be 80 degrees tomorrow- November weather on the Gulf Coast.

Congrats on the new additions to the family, mith!! :disco: Not only Ara-baby but another grandchild!! I pray that everything goes well with mom and baby.
Two swabbys?? Whatever would we do then????

It's been a long day and I am exhausted. Field trips, especially walking as means of transportation, wear me out. Been handing out candy all night too.
I wonder what trick or treating would be like in Middle earth? Know a certain ranger/king I'd like to treat!!

MT
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2006 06:32
Neenime, snow...already? My! It's been 70 degrees here today..
But we heard the geese heading south tonight! So they are warning us to get ready!!
Mith..congrats on the "grandma to be": such a wonderful feeling..isn't it?
MTMS hope things get straightened out with your in-laws.
Get some rest..mellon nin, (my friend)
I'll bet trick or treating in ME would be interesting! lol
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2006 07:32
Sigh was cold today... not cold enough for snow
but cold just the same.
I saw maybe 5 people in costume on campus today
not counting Silverleaf and myself...
Saw more folks in costume hats on my walk after
class but alas no visitors to our door tonight.

I did meet one friendly Traveler Witch who took a
few pics of Silverleaf and myself after he had
caught her in a shot of me...
I have submitted those photos under VicarcatsHalloween
but don't know when they will be up.
I may never learn the name of that witch but I do know
she is a PSU student with a black pull bag
as I have seen her going to class sans costume.!
Hmmm.... come to think of it she is alwasy wearing black
when on campus so perhaps that costume was her real self...
just done in caracature for the holliday.

Brandy I'm glad that everyone had a good time at school...

Rose I do hope you get to feeling better.

Congrats Mith on the incoming grandson...

I am waiting for piccies with baited breath as always!
Especially piccies of our own Elves...

2 Swabbys? We'd have to get another dozen shield maidens
just to keep them both happy! What with all the dinner
invites they'd be sending and all... we'd be plum wore out!

Trick or Treating in ME...
Like the Halls of Moria as a Dwarven haunted house?
They could make those Orcs work for their room and board
that way...
And pale riders on white horses playing at being ghosties
in Lothlorien?
And Rangers of Rohan as Cowboys in Gondor?
I wonder then would Ciridan make a good Pirate?
I know Aragorn would. I could go for Halloween in ME...

Ah well back to reality... have to read for class then off to bed.

Hope your humpday is easy...
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2006 09:34
Oh What a fun day we had at school. I had 3 ghouls in my class today. Two of them could make blood flow in their chest cavities. The other just had a very gruesome expression. I had a lady pirate, a Ninja Turtle, a lovely Diva, A home boy and his home girl, a chica from the 60's, a Ninja Warrior and Freddy Kruger.
I was their as the Lady Arwen with my blue and red dress, and a headpiece. We had fun. One of the moms had this awesome idea for the treats. She built a dead body under a sheet, using pans, towels, a pair of boots , etc. and covered it with a sheet. She then invited us to participate in an autopsy of the poor fellow. We got to taste eyeballs, (white Chocolate covered peanut butter balls with a dollop of chocolate where the iris was. We got to see the brain but weren't allowed to taste. She had combed several cooties out of the guys hair and wouldn't you know those kooties were huge and edible. The man also had a frog in his throat when he die, so we ate one of them. It was an afternoon of great fun topped off by the students line dances in the Gym and then our teachers doing their dance. I have a few poster I will try to get up in a week or so.
I have had restful sleep the last two nights. Yahoo!Must go now I afear I am asleep the comupteron

Enjoy the rest of the week . Geting sleepy Night
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: November 01, 2006 03:52
Brandywine it does sound like you had a very fun time . I must be out of the groove though the body refreshments would have freaked me out I have watched fear factor on TV and the freaky food part would be what would do me in but then I have a weak stomach. Your students were not grossed out? What age do you teach? I know you have told us before. I am glad you have slept the last 2 maybe three nights now. How was the dance?

Cat, aw ME does sound like a great place for Halloween. I think the Barrow Downs would be the scariest or Shelob's lair. Happy Hump day to you.

Randi, I heard this huge flock of geese fly over last night. It took all of ten minutes for the birds to fly over it was a so big. I love their honking sound it is so relaxing to me. So, I stood out and it was so cloudy and dark and I could not see a thing but I was looking where the sound was coming from and grinning from ear to ear. No snow but a cold front is moving through tomorrow and our temps will be in the 20's brrr.

MTMS my mom always felt like we were taking her independence away bit by bit but it was not us but her aging. I wish there would be a easy solution I think before I get elderly and I still have my wits about me I will make arrangements and also move to a house that does not have stairs so it won't be so hard on my kids.
We only had 13 trick or treaters tonight. I worked at my church tonight and one of my little girls from my Sunday School class had a medieval lady costume on she was so pretty.

Mith, congratulations on the new grandbaby. How special and exciting. I love a fire at night. Have a good day.

Neenime ,snow ah the poor kids last night. Did you get very much snow? Isn't Jess moving this weekend?

Swabby your hex sounds very scary. Thank you for caring my friend.

Morwin, my legs do that to me too. Did you warm up? Bless your heart and I hope you have a good day.

Rose I hope you are feeling better on this first day of November. When I was a child we sang a song about grey November skies this would be a great day for that as that is exactly how it looks.Take care of your self.
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2006 04:50
We had a good many ghosts, goblins, witches, etc come to our door last night, but we were able to fend them off with candy. As usual, the preacher across the street didn't participate in Halloween and seems not to have suffered any tricks because of it. I hope a hound dog makes off with his turkey, come Thanksgiving.

I'm afraid I made a terrible mistake revealing so much about my Ranger cologne secret formula. If Mith and MT guess the missing ingredient and smear some on their Ara-babies, there will be a shieldmaden frenzy for sure. They'll each have to defend their respective Ara-babies from hoards of crazed, out-of-control housewives. Their best defense then would be the previously unthinkable-----they'll have to deploy the two- Swabby emegency shieldmaden appeasement plan. It will probably be my doom, but I will do it for you, my friends. Yes, I, Swabby the ol' bravefart,(and my standee double) will draw the shrieking female multitudes away from my loved ones. I know y'all would do the same for me, wouldn't you? Swabby
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2006 06:06
Hi everyone. I hope you are all happy and not too sleep-deprived or sugar-crashed after Hallowe'en.

We had a blast at work. Our whole division of the university got right into the decorating thing. Lots of imaginative costumes and decorations. We won 2nd prize - a pizza party for our department. My costume worked out really well, once I stopped getting that blasted hair tangled in everything from coat zippers to earrings, to Nenya. Hubby took a few photos -I don't think the expression is suitably Elvish. I look either stunned or stuck up. But hey, it was 7 AM and my brain wasn't all there. No circlet, but managed with other jewellry.

Later last night our church had a Women's Spirituality gathering. There was chanting, readings, howling,meditating, spiral dancing and learning about the ancient goddess Hecate. Very inspiring, yet so sad that many rich spiritual traditions were all but destoyed by patriarchal iinstituations. This has left women without an image of the Divine that they can fully relate to. Never mind the millions tortured and destroyed in the insane Inquisition and Witch trials. Well, I won't get on that soap-box this morning.

brandywine What a wild autopsy idea! Ewwwww, yet oh, so clever.

Cat I am gald that you had fun. As for how many Shield Maidens it would take to keep up wtih our own swabby, I think a squadron should do.

Mith Congrats on the terrific news. Sending blessings to the wee one under construction

Snow in OCtober? is quite normal for us. It usually flies about and doesn't stay on the ground until early November. Yesterday was cold and blustery so not many kiddies out. Too bad

Haven't heard from Jess yet. She may nmot have phone hooked up yet for Internet access. Will try to call her tonight and report back to you.

Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2006 06:22
Never fear, Swabby, will guard your secret formula with my life. And I applaud you for your heroic efforts. A true friend, indeed. Yet, MT and I would not want to risk the safety of our very own Ara-baby(s). For my part, he's mine, my own, my precious...at least he will be after Christmas. :heart:

Hearing about the geese made me think of home, Awelyn. Always so many near the lake in late summer and fall. That was certainly an impressive number to take that long to fly over. Did your grandkids (the ones living close to you) dress up this year? I love seeing the little ones especially dressed up.

Brandy, what a cool Halloween party. The kids must have loved that gruesome treat. My grandsons would go crazy over something like that. Your costume sounds lovely. Glad to hear you had some restful sleep nights.

Good ideas of Halloween in ME, Cat. Look forward to seeing the photo of you in costume also.

Randi, lets pretend we didn't hear that "s" word. I'm just not ready for it. Better yet, let's all go to the warm shores of Alabama and visit our sister shield-maiden. Seriously, this cold weather makes me want to move to a warmer climate.

A wonderful day to you all! :heart::love: :hug:

Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2006 06:31
Oh, missed this while posting:

Love your costume, Neenime! I think it looks very elvish. That was indeed an early hour for photos. You are a brave one for facing the camera that early in the morning. What a cool sword...is it an Andúril replica? Thanks so much for sharing!
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2006 10:23
You look really groovy in those elvish threads, Neenime. (And HOT, too, I might add) Wow, that sword's nearly as tall as you are. I guess, like Awelyn, you're pretty low to the ground like a sports car. A pair of Porches, you two.

Thanks for the assurance, Mith. I know you shieldmadens are trustworthy and honorable.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2006 04:03
Your pictures are lovely, neenime. Your elvishness shows. LOVE that sword. Have one just like it. Where did you find that lovely dress? It looks fabulous with your coloring. Think I may dress like that everyday if I looked that good.

What an interesting day at school, brandy. We've had to curtail alot of Halloween stuff. I'm just glad that we get to walk downtown to trick or treat. The nursing home was alot of fun too. What else can you do on such a day ??

Yes, please come on down to the warm climate of LA (Lower Alabama), mith and all shieldmaidens of like mind.... Where the sun shines warmly and ara-babies romp in the sand.:love:

Don't know about you gals, but I want to see this 2-swabby Emergency Shieldmaiden Appeasement Plan in action. Bravefart and His Standee facing hordes of fanatic females!! What a sacrafice, dear swabby. I rest in the comfort of knowing that my Ara-baby is safe from all harm. He's mine, my own, my preciousssssss.

I'm going to be mindful of changing things as I grow older, awelyn. I believe that it's a very loving thing to do for your children. My grandmother went over her funeral plans with me for over and over again. She also had them written in explicit detail. When the time came, it was so much easier for me to handle, knowing what she wanted. I wish more folk would think like she did.

I think that the Halls of Moria would be very Halloweeny, vicarcat, as would the Barrow Downs. Those wights are "wight" spooky, if you ask me.

Been very busy at school and home. Have LOTS to do in both places nevertheless. Hubby is out of town fishing till Sunday, so maybe I can focus on conquering the items on my to do list. Wish me luck!!

MT
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2006 05:17
Vicarcat, So you had a chance to meet a witch, eh? Sounds interesting!
I have a friend who always dresses up in a witch outfit..she was born on Halloween! She accidently broke her broom just before Halloween..I did not have an extra one to give her..but did give her a vaccum cleaner. but she said she couldn't get that sucker off the ground...that she wanted her broom!
Brandy- Sounds like you had a wonderful time at school..and what an awesome idea that Mom had!
Awelyn, WOW!! That was a large flock of geese!! I love to listen to them also..
Swabby..you are such a brave man..to be willing to do that for Mith and MT.
Know they would appreciate it! rofl
(loved the play on words there!)
Neenime..congrats on winning 2nd place! Pizza party sounds delicious! Love your costume..too..Elvish indeed!! Did you make it?
Mith..rofl when you mentioned the "s" word..I thought...uh-oh!! WHAT did I say!? I had to go back and re-read what I had written!! You had me worried there for a minute! lol
MTMS..that warm climate sounds wonderful right now..It's getting colder here in East Texas..Good luck on your "to-do" list.
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2006 09:20
Just checking in...

Could we put that squadron of Shieldmaidens on
electric scooters?Would be easier on the environment
and they cost less then motorbikes.
Just a thought...

Silverleaf and I got some figures for gaming tonight...
3 wood elves and 3 dwarves. I
will post pics when they are painted.

Midterm grades C- art, A- lit., no midterm for capstone.

Barrow Wights are a bit too much for me these days.
I would have to ask some of Aragron"s Ghost Kings for
aid with the Wights.
Unless of course Swabby wanted to use the Wights for
motorcross speed bumps...
they would make good moving obsticals for the races...

Sigh I'm dreamin' again...

Will post tomorrow... will be tgith.... the day before tgif! :yawn:
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2006 10:14
Good morning!!! Oh, I have really missed you all!
I had a safe flight and I really thank you for any prayers or well wishes.:heart:
I arrived back on Tues. morning but have not posted till now as I wanted to catch up reading all the posts to see what you all have been up to.
My visit was nice. Not very holiday like as I didnt get out much, but spending all that time sitting with my mum was a blessing. She actually looked stronger to me than when I left last year. She still cant get around except brief walks with her walker, but she couldnt even stand unaided last time. She still has a catheter and colostomy bag, but she doesnt have a feeding tube now and can eat on her own again. Its hard to see your mother get so frail, but her spirits were good and I am thankful to spend more time with her. God willing, I will visit her on her birthday again in April. It was strange to be in Florida again and still very warm! I came back to morning frost...but it was really good to come home. As you all know I am extremely atttached to my dog and I missed him so much but I am happy to say he is fine and happy to see his 'mum'.
Wow, so much I would like to say to you all, but just know I have read all the posts even though there's too much to respond to. I must say though...Neenime, that is a gorgeous outfit and you look very elvenly. Great photo!
I am so happy to be back and missed you all. I didnt even get to the CoE once while I was gone. I did spend endless hours playing scrabble with my mum and untangled miles of wool for her. She has parkinsons and she loves to knit but cant control all her movements so tangles much of her work.
When I left Jax, I went to Gainesville for one day to visit my son there. That was really a great visit. I never thought I'd see the day when I would stay at his house instead of him staying at mine. For any of you with kids that keep coming back home, you will know what I mean.
Rose, only a few more weeks until Collectormania in Manchester! Cant wait to meet you!
Randi, how about Amdir...means 'hope'. theres always hope in the newly born.
till later, mellon nin.
jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 02, 2006 02:55
Cannot stay for long. Hopefully the java script errors have been fixed and are now gone for good. Definitely don't want to jinx anything here.

Have missed all of you. The move went really well and I'm all set up now in my new place. Still got a few boxes to unpack and as a bunch of my pals decided to organize my small kitchen and other stuff, trying to find things is next to impossible. I sold most of my oversized furniture and I'm planning on doing the little space I have in celtic/lotr style. Any ideas or suggestions will be welcome.

Have not caught up with all the posts yet, but will soon. Neenime: You look fantastic in the elvish outfit. You could grace the cover of any fantasy novel and make us believe!

Took a look at the trailer for Eragorn. Is it based on The Dragons of Pern or is it based on another book entirely. The movie looks great. Definitely one to go drool over.

Well I'm going to go and make some coffee and grab some lembas bread. Keeping my fingers crossed and my hopes up that the java does not come up again. Java/coffee, hmmm!
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 02, 2006 03:15
Welcome back, Jess. So glad the Orcs have been chased ut of your computer (or so we hope). If it would help, I'd come and smack it with Narsil!

Callë . So nice to see that you're back safe and sound. How wonderful for your mom and you to ahve that time together. I hope she continues to improve. Here are some prayers for her : :angel: :angel: :angel:

Vicarcat- yes, electric scooters are a fine idea. After all, no sense slaying Orcs and Wraiths whilst allowing the rest Earth to deteriorate!

Hey - the costumes look great! Very authentic. Silverleaf could be mistaken for a Wizard, even a Warrior Wizard. And the staff is really nice. I can just imagine the smooth finish on it. You're very talented. Is the Witch using her audio-pPalantir there?

Thanks for the kind words on my costume , The sword is Narsil (i.e. pre-shattering). Gotta love e-bay. I bought it for a very good price. You're right, swabby it's almost as tall as I am!

The costume was an adapted dress that I had bought years ago in Ukraine. I love the rich colours. And since I am NOT a sewer (is that spelled right? I mean that I don't really sew - LOL), I knew that I could not make one. So I took off the sleeves and faked together some medieval-like sleeves that I could just hand sew. I must say that I am pleased with the results.

Oh, and as fate would have it, the circlet arrived the day AFTER Hallowe'en. Darn! Maybe I will wear it to our next Ring Moot, when we play LOTR Trivial Pursuit.

[Edited on 2/11/2006 by Neenime]
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: November 02, 2006 03:33
Congratulations to the grandmothers-to-be! Hope everything goes well for the expecting mothers!

Welcome back, Callë and Jess!

No, I didn't pull any muscles, they were just sore after the long break. We have a very good and skilled instructor who makes us warm up properly and sees that all the exercises are done correctly to avoid injuries.

Brrr, it's been cold for the last couple of days! And, the strong wind makes it feel even colder. *is really envious to MT for the Gulf weather at the moment*

:hug: to all! I hope that tomorrow will be a bit less busy... *runs away and tries to avoid bumping into Gríma*
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 02, 2006 03:44
*steams in ... pounces on everyone and hugs madly*

I am feeling so much better, thanks to all your lovely thoughts, herbal teas, chicken soups, etc. I think it was a concoction of a lot of things, stress, tiredness, worry, oh and a cold, that knocked me for six, some.

And where was our sailorman when I needed someone to put me on an even keel. Hi swabby!! *flutters eyelashes*

I am sincerely sorry but I doubt I can comment on everyone's posts, there are soooo many since I have posted properly here.

*We is extremely sorry precioussessss, yes we is .... speaks for yourself, we never said we was sorry .. yes we is ... no we never said any such sort of thing.... *sneaksy look* shall we gets her to say sorry*

*Ahem* sorry about that. Lol!!

Anyway, how about I congratulate some, commiserate with some, share pain with others, offer advice to others. :hug:

Calle!!!!! Squeeeeee. Yes, not long now, pet. :love:

Btw I think Amdir is a beautiful name.

Hi Jesse, good to see you.

*Drop tackles Grima as he tries to nab Jesse and Calle. Holds him in a half nelson and nibbles his ear.* :evil:

Hugest hugs to everyone.

Take care. See ya!!

Rosie xxxxxx
<< First34567Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email