Register

<< First23456Last >>
Author Topic:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part IX
on: October 27, 2006 02:52
It's funny how we never seem to forget certain dates. I entered the Navy on this date in 1967. I distinctly recall it was a beautiful Autumn that year and my girlfriend (who was later my first wife) gave me a very special going away present. I'm sure I had a stupid grin on my face that lasted for days afterwards, and even insulated me from the hell of bootcamp for a while. Ah, youth.

That is a terrific little poem, Neenime, and you just exemplify the talent and creativity found here at FoF. No wild pigs in the great white North? Oh well, you have a lot of other critters like moose that we don't have down here in the warm, muggy south. I don't know if our razorback hogs here in Arkansas are the same as the ones in east Texas, but these suckers are mean! You don't want to tangle with one, I guarrantee.

I like short women, Awelyn. My first wife was (and still is) 4ft 9inches. I like tall, lanky women, too. Heck, I like all shapes and sizes. Y'all know me by now.

I made some apple/raison/nut muffins this morning. I wish I could share them with you all.

May you all have a wonderful Friday and a great weekend, Swabby
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2006 04:04
Randi you're not wrong about any night being pub night, but Pub Night has various specials (as if they need any encouragement to drink and hang out :rolleyes: )

Swabby thanks for the compiment. My sir, you do have a good memory, as well as eclectic taste in women.

Insomnia - have been having a bout of that lately, too, but it's all self-inflicted. Caffeine or food too late in the day. Just silly of me. Tonight, though, I promise to party in moderation and in de-caffeination with my Ring-loving Sisters.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2006 12:21
A bit late posting today but don't think I'd be able to outrun Grima so better late than never. We did have fun last night. We seldom go to those things or even out at night...we were joking as we were actually out after dark! But the wings were great, Awelyn. Tried 2 new flavors...Asian Zing and Habenaro something. Spicy but very tasty. Even participated when they bought a round of shots, which is extremely rare for me.

You're gonna love this one, Swabby....it was called a comfortable orgasm. Tasted like fruit punch...had a few different liquors in it, one being Southern Comfort (hence the name). It was a nice group of people and they didn't dwell on work talk. But we didn't stay long as hubby is still getting up at 3:30 a.m. for work.

Randi, that is sooo cool you have 15 horses. Mud and all, would love it out in the country. If you ever have a white one, you could name it Shadowfax or Nahar (the Vala Oromë's horse). Asfaloth, Windfola, Firefoot and Brego are some other ones that come to mind from Tolkien.

Had a bad bout of insomnia last night also, Brandy. It doesn't seem to matter whether or not I have caffeine, think it is more hormonal. Hope you and the other FOF members who suffer from this get some good peaceful rest this weekend.

Neenime, your poem made me smile. Could just envision it happening, lol! Perhaps naming the one that usually goes nameless will bring MT here waving her sword.

Awelyn, think of posing by that Ranger....wish his healing hands could ease your pain. I do that many times also...keep thinking and thinking and can't stop when it is time to rest. Have done some of my best planning then, lol. But not funny if you have to get up early.

Toilet leaks are no fun, Celebrian. Hope you got everything aired out and in working order.

Take care everyone and have a wonderful weekend! :heart::love: :hug:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2006 03:16
Remember how things are when the children were home from school, emmy. Now-a-days those are my favorite kind. Guess I won't be nominated for teacher of the year again this year.

You are a lady, awelyn. Any part of Middle earth would be honored to call you a citizen. I'd choose Gondor. You see, there's this ruggedly handsome ranger/king in charge there.:love:

Love the poem, neenime. You know me too well.

Accolades to you, brandywine, for being such an honest and positive teacher with your student's parents. I hope that they appreciate all that you do.

What a talented gal you are, mith. Grima-dodging and cooking at the same time!! What's this about cookies with chocolate peanut butter?? Sounds too marvelous to be true. Perhaps those cookies should be named comfortable orgasm..
Wings and shots.......you go girl!! Another one for MT!!

Thought of you rose when one of my students brought up the topic of dragons. I'll never see them in the same light as I used to. Now I smile.

I greatly appreciate the diversion you created for me, swabby. Was that part of your naval training or a some of your ranger scholarship?? And where did you find the ranger cologne?? I want some that smells of salt air, sun on the breeze and a handsome man.:heart::love:

I am high speed now, neenime. My computer and persomality are now on the same level. (Don't know what happened to me, as I used to be shy)

We had a rain event too, celebrian! Spent part of the day in the hallway at school due to a tornado watch! Not a fun thing to do with 150 kindergarten and 1st graders...and that's just on the South Hall!!

Got a busy day tomorrow! Will be dancing in the streets from 6-10. :disco: Our Educational Enrichment Foundation is sponsoring a dance. One of the streets in downtown will be closed off to traffic. There will be a stage for the band with wine and snacks for the party folk. :cheers: The theme is grooving in the 70's. Haven't decided if I will dress 70's style or not. May still have some vintage 70's wear tucked away somewhere. Do you think rangers boogie???

MT
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2006 05:06
Dances seem to be on this weekend. The spousal unit and I just returned from the Middle School Halloween mating ritual. It was hilarious! Of course, you couldn't really talk to anyone because the music was so loud, but I was highly amused at the pairing and social maneuvering going on. They were very well behaved though, and a good time was had by all. I couldn't stay until the end of the dance because the spousal unit has to get up at 5 a.m. to go to work. I wish we could have danced though. But alas, his feet just can't handle that anymore. We used to do quite a bit of dancing and I miss it.

[Edited on 28/10/2006 by scots56]
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2006 06:03
My friends,
cold weather has gotten my right hand acting up .. and it is hard to type.. :sob: so will just wish all of you a wonderful weekend..and hope to see you all later today. :hug: to all..
Randi
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2006 10:54
Oh Randi I sympathize with you...
I've arthritis inevery joint so it's been a pain lately...
Not as bad as Patty's as she was down all of wednesday with it.
Patty is the Volunteer Coordinator for St Francis Dining Hall...

I was at Bread tonight at St Francis with Silverleaf at Peaches.
Counter work counts especially when vlounteers are short...
We could have used 3 more volunteers tonight.

I went to Nightwatch tonight and got a report from a Wood Elf
about the shifting energies in the forests...
and about the need to place the children in a safe space.
He also wants a coat made but he has to gem the materials first.

I keep wondering if one of those Lorien Elves is going to show up
at Nightwatch as we seem to get all varieties of elves except those
of Mirkwood Rivendel and LothLorien...
Perhaps we are located too far west for them.

Sigh gotta nap... will post again later.

Day after TGIF! :cheers: :hug: Boogie Down Rangers!

Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: October 27, 2006 11:34
We had a proper autumn storm last night, and the wind is still quite strong. Here, things are normal, but in some places, the storm fell trees, and there were large areas where the electricity was off for hours.

Hope your hand gets better soon, Randi.

My sympathy to all who suffer from insomnia. It isn't a regular nuisance to me, but I do get bouts of it sometime, and it definitely isn't nice.

Hope everybody who goes to dances or Halloween parties this weekend will have a good time! For me, this day includes mostly vacuuming and laundry, and tomorrow, we're going to see my mother-in-law and help her with some technical issues.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2006 01:15
Greetings from Jessamyn . Her palantir is incapacitated lately. The evil wizard Java Script keeps sending fligts of Error Crebain across her screen. He's doing it intentionally, because only CoE pages are being kicked off. She is hoping her son can help straighten it out.

She's also moving this weekend, so spare some kind thoughts for her.

Our little Ring Moot went well last night, even though we didn't talk that much about our beloved ME and its stories. We're hitting it off very well, so we were on to other topics.

I went back to reading The Book of Lost Tales, about the making of the sun and the moon. *sigh* Tolkien's language just sends mybody and soul into a special place. It was much needed after a week of PMS and poor sleep.

Glad you liked the poem, ladies. Smiling and fondly recalling special moments are known to be good for your health. Chasing about after rivals with swords is perhaps a bit less healthy, but certainly envigorating.
Welcome back Emmy. Nice to have you join us again.

I had the strangest thought as I was lying abed this morning. I suddenly noticed parallels between LOTR and The Three Musketeers. The trilogy of rough-looking leader with a secret noble past (Aragorn and Athos), the saintly one with a warrior side (Legolas and Aramis ) and the portly, pleasure-lover (Gimli and Porthos ).

I recognize this is from the film perspective moreso than the books, but it caught my attention. Funny, huh? And then we have the evil clerics Richelieu and Saruman (oh, but wait, Christopher Lee played the cleric's henchman Rochefort) How wierd is that?

OK, enough literary analysis for now. I hope you all have agreat weekend.

We turn our clocks back tonight (Daylight Savings and all that). Yay - an extra hour of dreamland time!

[Edited on 28/10/2006 by Neenime]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2006 04:11
I've never heard of the drink you mentioned, Mith, but I've heard of something similar. I was with some sailor friends in a bar in Florida one time when one of the guys ordered a "slow comfortable screw". I remember it embarrassed me a bit because I didn't get it right away.
Yes, Mith is a very talented gal, MT. Not only is she keenly clever, but she used to have to cook for some dude who had a very narrow definition of what "food" was. I'm pretty sure I saw her juggling and dancing for a really big primate one time, also.

The "ranger cologne" is a special concoction of my own making, MT. It's very powerful and nearly impossible for any woman who's ever swung a sword to resist. It's a secret recipe, but I'll tell you most of the ingredients. I mix some of that "new car smell" spray with "essence of young male" which I get by steaming my son's dirty skivvies. I add a little dark chocolate and some barley, cook it over a Mallorn wood fire and strain it through a real scottish kilt. It took a lot of experimenting to get it right, you know--- proportions and cooking time and such. Actually, that is how I met Grima's sister. I didn't quite have the formula perfected and made the mistake of driving past the mud-wrestler's convention. I saw a flash out of the corner of my eye and before I realized it, she had lassoed my rear view mirror with her tongue and hitched a ride home with me. I promptly deleted anchovies from the recipe.

You have some intriguing adventures, Vicarcat. I wish I could follow you around one night.

Sorry to hear about your hand, Randi. My arthritis flared up once and I got an infinate number of monkies with typewriters to see if--------nah, it didn't work.

That's an interesting parrallel you've discovered, Neenime. I often make similar observations.

I know why some of you are suffering from insomnia. You clearly have a vitamin "V" deficiency. Perhaps, in lieu of the real thing,(since MT is a little greedy) you could just put a couple of drops of my ranger cologne on a large teddy bear. Hey, it couldn't hurt.

Jess, Rose, HT, Brandy, Morwin, scots plus others who I can't recall right now, I hope y'all have a terrific weekend. I think my brother is coming over today and we'll probably watch
The Two Towers". It'll be his second time and my (approximately) 57th. I love you all! :heart:Swabby
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2006 08:56
Hi everyone.

I just missed Grima around the corner. If I hadn't peeked, then I would have bumped into him. Whew!!!

Well, I have been ok. Roomy is home and being a pain in the you know where. She sleeps in a chair when her bed would be more comfortable. She is eating cough candies like they are going out of style. The doctor wants her to cough all that junk up in her lungs and she's keeping it down there. I can't talk to her. She thinks she knows everything.

Nice to see everyone is doing fine. Swabby, I also love stuffed peppers.

Working on Halloween costumes today. Got to finish the crowns.

We had a nice bout of weather that melted all the snow. It's been around 40F here. Nice fall day. I like the fall because of all the colors the leaves turn. The weather is not cold and the air is crisp. Except for when the leaves turn to dust and my allergies act up. They are doing that right now.

I guess I'll go and do the crowns and work on homework for the Book Club.

Have a Great Weekend, all.

Namárië
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: October 28, 2006 10:26
Randi, I am so sorry about your arthritis as I have a touch in both my hands I know how you feel. I am so glad though that you can post now anytime you want.

Balrog, oh your roomy should listen to you and cough. Maybe she is scared to cough. People who are recovering from surgery can be a pain and I am talking about myself. My family informed me I was being a pain after my surgery. So, hang in there.

Hi ya Swabby, Some concoction it does sound very potent. I hope you have a good time with your brother. You lucky sea dog to be able to enjoy TT with someone who also likes LOTR.

Neenime quite interesting to think on the parallels of those two. Oh poor Jess. Well, I am glad you had a good time. Yes daylight savings starts for us tonight too. I don't like it because it gets dark sooner.

Morwin we had strong winds and heavy rain with thunder and lightening last night. It is nice and sunny here today and mild temperatures. I am so glad because it rained here for three days.

VicarCat I am really impressed now that I know you do all that walking with your arthritis. You go girl.

Oh Scots I am so sorry you did not get to dance. I miss dancing too. Well at least you enjoyed watching

MTMS, thank you for the complement. Two girls I work with laughed at my costume. They think I am crazy because of my passion for LOTR and all things Tolkien. It hurt my feelings. Isn't that silly here I am 54 and I let these two young girls get to me. Then I thought of all of you, how you would have been dressed if you were there and how you are my friends and I was comforted.
You have a good time at your dance I wish I could be there.

Mith isn't the name of that drink a oxymoron. I said that word once to a student who said are you calling me a moron? I am glad you had a good time. I am sorry about your insomnia I hope you rested better last night.

I am from Missouri so here goes Way to go Cards! Yes the St. Louis Cardinals won the Baseball world series last night here in the USA. The last time they won was in 1982 the year my daughter was born. :disco: :disco: :disco: :rolling:

Have a great day everyone.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2006 10:36
Sorry that your roomie is being a pain, balrog. Hope that she doesn't get under your skin too much.

Hope your arthritis eases Randi. I'm sure it must be annoying as well as painful.

I love to dance, scots. My hubby is taking a nap so that he can stay up a bit with me tonight. He has arthritis and doesn't move around too much without discomfort. That doesn't stop me from dancing solo or preying on innocent bystanders. :disco:

It must be fact that rangers boogie, vicarcat. You would be one to know.

It's been very windy here as well, morwin. Had a bit of reisitance during my walk this morning. If the temps were cooler, I'd have needed a heavy coat. Thank goodness it's in the 70's.

Like the comparison between LOTR and The Three Musketeers, neenime. A similar thought crossed my mind at French weekend at the Louisianna ren fest last year. The Three Muskeeters were there and had an encounter that seemed LOTRish.

Thinking of you Jessamyn as you move into your new enviroment. Hope that all goes well.

You just missed Grima, HT. Now, let me know if you run into a handsome ranger/king. I am NOT greedy and would share my "findings" with you, if I were so lucky. (Maybe after I had my turn first)

Your recipe for ranger cologne is very interesting swabby. I like the fact that the ingredients are flitered through a kilt. That process adds so much to the product, I am sure.:heart:
I hope that you enjoy viewing TTT for the umpteenth time. I hope to find a bit of time to watch that dvd myself. It's an excellent source of vitamin V.:love:

Off to find some love beads to wear to the dance tonight. Take care, all.

MT
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2006 05:18
Comfortable Orgasm is NOT an oxymoron, IMHO, it's one of God's better inventions! :naughty: And a really good ione is a darn sight better than "confortable".

Balrog sorry about your roomie. I'll bet she's scared to strain her chest and bust open stitches etc., by coughing. My hubby was like that after his cardiogram. Looked like death warmed over for 2 days but would not go to Emerg. Even though he was trained as a nurse and knows that he should have been looked at . He wouldn't have died of a heart attack, because I would have kliled him first!

BTW - just watched THE PRESTIGE I am certainly a Christian Bale fan, especially after BATMAN BEGINS, but my-o-my-oh-my is Hugh Jackman ever yummy in this one! Excellent film - kept us wondering at all the twists and turns.

[Edited on 29/10/2006 by Neenime]
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2006 06:32
awelyn, forget those girls who made fun of your costume. It's sad that they have nothing to be passionate about. Don't let them steal your joy. Wear it with pride and abandon. If I could, I would be right by your side, wearing my own costume,weilding a sword and shouting to them in elvish. You are special. You are a part of Middle earth. You have elvish blood. They are only human, poor things.
Thought of you all at the dance tonight. Had a marvelous time, even though (or maybe because) hubby didn't go. He didn't take a nap and I was afraid that he'd want to go home early, so I told him that I could go solo. I stayed till the band packed up.
Danced alot, sometimes with myself, with friends or interesting strangers. Came home with a shiney silver tile from the gay man's suit on my pant leg. He was the best dancer among my partners. Near the end of the evening, a handsome stranger came up to me and told me that I rock. Kinda made me feel good, as I was dancing by my lonesome and almost felt goofy doing so. The music was good and I couldn't help myself. Hope my boss doesn't think I'm too flakey, but I really don't care too much if she does.
It's late and I am tired from all that dancing. Will enjoy that extra hour of sleep. Take care, my friends.
And yes, rangers boogie...and so do shieldmaidens!! :disco:

MT
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2006 06:45
MTMS...you go, girl! :disco:
sounds like you has a wonderful time...I envy you..knowing how to dance...something I never had a chance to learn!
My hand is feeling a wee bit better..but my head isn't! :dizzy:
Hugs to all of you...hope you have a wonderful night and day tomorrow..
Perhaps tomorrow..I will be able to be a bit more sociable..
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2006 10:39
Awellyn MTMS is right.
Humans have no consept of Elven Clothes at all...

I had a fellow earlier tonight ask if I was wearing a costume
or regular clothes? He said being it is Portland one could never tell...

I pulled the hood of my Gray Cloak back to reveal my face and said
"My legal sirname is Leslie-Faye. Elves are Real Mi'Lord"... he nodded
respectfuly and I turned and continued my walk to Nightwatch.

Then across the street I ran into another young man who stepped
carefully out of my way and then said "Nice outfit."
I said thanks but didn't break stride as I walked down the sidewalk.

I saw that Wood Elf again tonight. I think he said his name is Hendrick.
He looked like he wanted to sit nearby but the seats by my table were
all full. Perhaps I will see him on the street at Saturday Market after the
apartment party.
Both Timberwolf and Silverhair were tired tonight and left Nightwatch
early. Timberwolf actually left before Silverhair arrived but neither of
them were inside for long.

I haven't gotten my costume finished yet so it may be saved for
the New Years Eve dance...
Then again I might just wear it on a saturday night once it is done.

It is suppose to rain here by morning so I'm hoping to take it easy...

I hope everyone gets to feeling better...
[that includes Roomies, Signifigant Others along with Siblings,
Offspring, Fosterlings and Pets of any and all].

We bombed the apartment for bugs again today... gak. :twitch:
Have too get things clean for All Hallows Day.
I had insomnia last night and now I am really tired so am going
to nap now.

Sorry if I missed you! :hug: :love: For All!
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2006 03:46
Vicarcat,
Sounds like you had a most interesting day!..I had fun shopping with a close friend, :rolling: I think that we hit nearly every garage sale, yard sale, etc..within a 40 mile radius...
First time for THAT in ...far too long...
I FINALLY got my pictures of Bain's son back...and ..will post some..as soon as I figure out HOW to do it! :blush:
I had a bad headache last night and went to bed early..missed a phone call from a dear friend :sob:
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2006 04:11
I've been busy since Friday, tidying up following my window replacement. But the work is more or less done now. Have to find a large tin of paint and start painting walls and ceilings.

I was sat here typing when I hear a strange noise from the hall, then a thump. My coat hooks had fallen off the wall with all the coats. Another job!!

Arthritis and headaches and anything else is booted into the trash can. I just feel in that kind of mood. Lol!!

Sorry I have't commented on all of the wonderful posts and glad I seem to have lost Grima.

Hope to get back to normal postings next week.

Have a great Sunday everyone.

Going for a nap. :yawn:

Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: October 29, 2006 06:01
Hiya all!

I'm just back from visiting my mom-in-law, and have still things to do this evening so, just a flyby post.

MTMS, the dance really seems to have been a hoot!

My sympathy to Jessamyn. Computer problems are a real pain you know where.

Balrog, I wish your roommate a quick recovery!

Rose, good to hear that the window replacement job's practically done. House renovations are such a stress.

Back later with more - have a nice Sunday, everybody! :hug:
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2006 08:29
Just a quick one from me today. We're going to see "The Prestige" at the theater in a little while.
I want to tell you all about a documentary I saw on tv last night. It is a fantastic true story of incredible dedication and possible heavenly intervention. It is about an American ship that crashed on the North African coast in 1815 and the subsequent survival tale of it's crew and captain as they were taken captive by Arabs and enslaved. Abraham Lincoln sited this tale (written later by the ship's Captain James Riley) as one of the most influencial books he'd ever read, and was likely responsible for shaping his views on slavery. One book on this subject is called "Skeletons on the Zahara" (yes, with a Z)
If you will just google "Captain James Riley", I think you will find all you need. I think it is a story that will appeal to most of you. I guess you can tell that I was mightily impressed by it. Have a good Sunday, what's left of it. Swabby
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2006 09:04
Hi guys

If I am to be chased by Grima I will just imagine it's our fave ranger wearing a Halloween mask! He can come trick or treating round here anytime. Of course over this side of the pod its called guising and kids dress up and go round the doors singing songs, or thats how it used to be. If we went out it was always pre-arranged with the neighbors no going around knocking on strange doors.

I am taking my niece out shopping for her birthday next Saturday. She will be 11 soon and is getting a bit too old for toys now. She is a wonderful mixture of sophistication and innocence and knows far more than I knew at her age.Not having children of my own I quite enjoy my baby sitting duties and I am looking forward to taking her for lunch. Being an aunty means you get the best bits with none of the tantrums!

Anyway take care all my friends, if I can't sleep I always find an aspirin and hot milk help - that and imagining my favourite king!

Love and hugs

HT:heart:
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2006 09:26
As always I am highly interested in all of your posts. I feel blest (can I say that here?) to "know" all of you. THis is such a diverse and interesting group.

Thanks to all of the *sleep sympathizers* and I am sorry for any of you who have the same problem. I think it's mostly hormonal and age related for me, but also a bit of, now, learned behavior.

To all who are ill or caring for someone ill: I'm wishing you good health and care.

To all have a happy day.

To Grima: no way man, no way am I gonna kiss you! :nono:

I'll try to be here more often. Need to tighten my organizational habits a bit, so I can find time to do everything I want to.

Swabby thanks for the tip on James Riley. I've always been fascinated by shipwrecks and such.

Have a great day everyone.
Brandy
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2006 09:40
A beautiful and sunny day here today. Going to do a quick post and take a long walk. It was missions Sunday in church and went a bit longer than usual.

Sure sounds like you had fun, MT. I love what you said about people being only human. I still have the beads you sent me. Where do you get all your energy?

Awelyn, wish I could have been there as well to lift your spirits and watch MT fend off the humans. She was right, don't let them steal your joy. You are one of the sweetest, kindest and most loving people. Those others lack understanding and other good qualities.

Is there a Guising Day, HT? Sounds very similar to our Halloween. You are right about the Aunty part. And Ranger dreams...if we are lucky enough to have them.

Sorry this is short today but want to get outside a bit before hubby gets home. Have a great Sunday, everyone! :heart::love: :hug:

MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2006 10:15
I'm sorry for your headache, Randi and the fact that it interferred with you talking with your friend. Hope you don't have another for a very long time. I get migraines and HATE how they incapacitate me. We doesn't like that, no we doesn't, precious.

Hoping your bugs will disappear with Randi's headache, vicarcat. I'd hate to end up wherever it is that bad things disappear to.

Seems like you're in home improvement purgatory, rose . May things appear heavenly very soon.

How sweet of you to visit your mother-in-law, morwin. I hope that all is well with her. Today my hubby and his siblings are going to tell their parents that they are moving from their bedroom upstairs to one downstairs. I pray that it goes smoothly.

I am very interested in the Capt. Riley story, swabby. Thanks for sharing the info. I am a believer in heavenly intervention and have seen it happen.

You're helping me add new words to my vocabulary, HT, as well as making me feel a bit European. Have fun with your niece. I'm sure that she'll have a blast with someone as fun as you are.

We are blessed to know you, brandywine, and yes, you can say that here. Folks here are respectful of the beliefs held dear by other members. That's one of the many reasons that I return here so frequently.

I could feel your presence beside me, mith, as we (along with the other shieldmaidens and rangers) stood beside awelyn to protect her from the orcs that she encountered at work. There are orcs scattered about, and we must be alert to their presence and ready to defend ourselves when necessary. You are not alone, my friends. Send out word, blow your horn or light a beacon and I will be there with my sword to do what I can.

MT
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2006 02:14
Heeeeey, my post disappeared from this morning! Maybe it slipped on The One Ring. Hmmmm.

MTMS, I love what you said:

You are special. You are a part of Middle earth. You have elvish blood. They are only human, poor things.

Those are words of inspiration as I think of all of us Tolkien-lovers this way. Thanks for saying it so well. Awelyn -I hope you always wear your Elvish outfits (and anything else) with pride. if those people were truly happy, they wouldn't need to rain on your parade.

MTMS I am glad you had a great time dancing. Wish I had been there with you. Say, can you imagine a moot with all of us - dancing, great food, copious ale, long stories into the wee hours of the morning. ahhh - some day.

Swabby-cools story. will tell hubby about it, as he is a big history buff.
i hope you enoyed the film.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2006 05:24
Well, the race is on!! I found out Friday afternoon that my Master's thesis paper is due on November 27th. I am *so* thankful that my partner-in-crime from my old school is also my partner-in-crime for this project. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to have someone to bounce ideas off of. Not to mention primal screaming together when the need arises. :banghead: So, I've been one busy Hobbit this weekend writing title pages, significances of study, and literature reviews. :dizzy: But at least my roughs are done and ready to be looked at. That and I also finished correcting and posting grades on the internet. Too bad I didn't get to see the spousal unit from about 4 p.m. on. Poor guy. On the bright side...only one month to go.

Awelyn: Those who scoff at our love of all things Middle Earth are those whose lives are sadly lacking in imagination. How sad. I'm glad that none of us feel that lack.

I watched a good movie this weekend. I had bought Tristan and Isolde what seems like forever ago but haven't had enough time to watch it. I carved some time Saturday morning and was thrilled with the movie. Of course, that's right up my alley. If you haven't seen it, it's worth the time to watch it. IMHO Here is another movie that I'm fully intending to see on more than one occasion over Christmas as well.

Have a good week all. With how things are shaping up, I may not be here this week. I'll have to sharpen my wits to keep that nasty Grima away from me. Maybe new running shoes?? OHIMA strikes again, and it's only Sunday night!!

Cheers.
Scots
awelyn418
Send Message
on: October 29, 2006 06:07
MTMS,Mith,Neenime, VicarCat thank you for your words of encouragement you made me feel so much better. I am so glad you had a good time at your dance MTMS. You and VicarCat seem to have loads of energy.

Scots ,that does look like a good movie at Christmas time to watch.Bless your heart good luck with all your work.

Brandy I hope you are going to be ok this week with your insomnia.

Swabby, I am going to look that up it sounds so interesting. Did you have a good time with your brother?

HT have fun with the niece.

Randi I hope you are feeling so much better tomorrow.

Well, I need to finish my laundry and get ready for bed. Have a good night all.
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2006 06:49
Rose, hope things are going well for you now..and that you find your paint can..What color scheme are you using?
Morwin, hope your visit was a fun one!
Swabby..that really sounds like an interesting story..I hope to have time Mon to look it up.
HT, It is wonderful that you can spend time with your young niece..all mine were so close to my age..that we seemed more like sisters..(and fought like it too!!)
Brandy..folks here are wonderful (at least ..the ones I have met so far!) about others beliefs..
Hope you get your sleep problems straightened out.
Mith..Sounds like you had a good day..at least weatherwise!
MTMS..Thank you for your kind words.. :hug: Haven't had a headache like that in a long time..and will probably talk with my friend tonight...(we often talk at night..as he is a night owl!)
Neenime..a moot would indeed be wonderful! (wants to have sweet dreams of meeting her Tolkien friends tonight)
Would be nice to be able to decide what we are going to dream of..wouldn't it!!
Scots..I wish you luck on your paper.. That movie looks interesting.
Awelyn, Thanks for the well-wishes..I too have been doing laundry today..and feeding and washing dishes..and cooking..and other things to get ready for the BBQ with the family tonight..
I saw my grandkids tonight..they have been visiting in Germany for the past 3 months..and I missed them! How they have grown!! And all came back chattering in German! I kept telling them.."You have to speak English! I don't understand German!" So..then..they would get a confused look on their face..and then try to act out whatever they were saying! *They are 2, 3, and 4 years old*
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2006 12:32
Oh ow Randi... 2 3 and 4 years old? You might have them
teach you German...
Then again you might end up learning their dialect of German
and that might only be inteligible to Germans under the age of 5.
Then you'd have to upgrade your German bigtime...

I could wish I had such problems...

Wel!l
Grima looks satisfied with those chocolate peanutbutter cookies he has.
Wonder where he got them?

Thesis Paper? Eeeek run away....
peeks out from behind a tree... Glad you have help Scots!

Yard sale where? Any nifty things there?
Better then Pirates treasure that! Hope the getting was good!

What I thought was a party wasn't it was a meeting, [sigh] I got it done.

It rained this morning and oh my body didn't want to move till 1 pm.
Lucky for me I had no commitments before 2pm.
I got only 1.5 miles in on my walk today... arthritis gak!

Will post again between classes.
I have TV dinners that is looking good for between class meals.
So will have my mouth full when next posting!

Hope your Monday is great!

awelyn418
Send Message
on: October 30, 2006 03:57
Randi, I have not been to a yard sale, garage sale in about a year. You can get great bargains there. I know alot of people that get up early and they shop the day after Thanksgiving . I can't stand crowds shopping so I have never done that but some of my friends get great bargains. Your grandkids are a precious age . Well, you know research shows younger children pick up a foreign language when they are young 3-5 quicker than when they would be say teenagers. You know Neenime a while back talked about dreams. I think it was stopping a bad dream and dreaming of something good in place of the bad so in that respect you can choose your dreams. Have fun at your Bar-B-Q.

Cat that must have been a bummer to think you were going to a party and it turned out to be a meeting.

Well, I am off to work have a great day. Sun is shining here we have a slight breeze, some grey clouds but it looks to be a nice day. Have a good Monday.

Rose did you see the trailer to the movie Scots was talking about? There is a very nice dragon in it. It looks so good . I can't wait to see it. Does anyone know when the new Harry Potter movie is coming ?
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2006 04:35
Scots that looks like a super film. Can hardly wait to see it. IS it based on Anna McCaffrey's books? I haven't had time to look through the production notes yet.

I know our Rosewil be front and center for the opening!

I am sending good thesis-writing vibes to Scots for the whole month of November.

This is going to be a phenomenally busy week. I am really looking forward to wearing my costume tomorrow. Alas, the circlet has not come yet, unless I am lucky enough to find it in the mail tonight. We shall see. There is always Plan B - necklaces in the hair.

Our department is all decorated and we'll be playing Hallowe'en classics in the waiting room today and tomorrow. Should be fun. We're closing down the department for 2 hours to have a staff pot-luck . Our manager is the coolest.

Wishing you all a delightfully scary and treat-filled All Hallow's Eve, May the spirits of your ancestors walk gently among you tomorrow night.
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2006 04:48
Vicarcat, Their Mom is from Germany..and I would not be afraid to learn from her..but ..after the little ones have been with their young cousins..there is NO telling what I might be saying if they were my teachers! rofl
You have my sympathy with that arthritis!
Awelyn..I LOVE swap meets, and yard sales!
My grand kids have been learning German since they were infants..just so that they would be prepared for when they went to visit kinfolks in Germany and Sweden..
Me?? I don't do too well with it...speaking German with a strong Texas accent...well..it just doesn't sound quite right somehow! rofl
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2006 04:48
I haven't heard anything on the Harry Potter movie, Awelyn, but I am looking forward "The Pathfinder" in January and "Eragond" in December. Of course "The Hobbit" would be the biggest thrill of all if it ever gets made before I become dust in the wind.

The original book written by Captain James Riley is called "sufferings in Africa" and is one of the books that ole Abe read by fire-light. That book is still available and the new one is called "Skeletons on the Zahara". It's a story that would make a wonderful movie, methinks. Although it paints a very unflattering picture of the Arab's treatment and views of "infidels" at that time, the one Muslim who decides to trust James Riley risks everything in order to help him and his crew and offsets much of the malice one might garner towards his kind. I intend to get one of the books and read it, but I'm not sure which one as yet.

I own "Triston and Isolde" on dvd, Scots, and it is a movie which I like very much. Some more of my recent favorites on dvd are "The World's Fastest Indian" with Anthony Hopkins, "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada" with Tommy Lee Jones and "Kingdom of Heaven" with Orlando Bloom.

I'm glad you got to shake your booty, MT. I think you must be the life of the party. May your hips swing like a well-oiled garden gate forever.

Does anyone know any good halloween jokes? Happy Monday! Swabby
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2006 05:00
Neenime,I hope the circlet gets there in time for the event..Have a wonderful time! :hug:
Swabby..These books and movies sound so interesting..I would love to read (and watch) them..and will keep watch for them! How do you find such interesting things all the time?
Reguardless of how you do it...I thank you for sharing with us!:hug:
<< First23456Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email