Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Post Fans over Forty ~ Part IX
on: October 17, 2006 05:35
Wow! We are indeed a chatty group! LOL Here we are again with a new thread. At least I'm getting a breather at work.

I feel your pain, too, scots. Education does seem to go on and on forever, rather like that road Bilbo and Gandalf sang about. It just seems the end is not so sweet as what the Professor's lyrics promised. *sigh* Ah well...

On to bigger and better things! We've purchased that lovely mountain property in Colorado so I can make at least part of my dream come true. The land won't be all that great for a community, but at least I can have friends come and visit. Maybe later we can build on, keeping the trees and critters intact as much as possible. Don't want to disturb nature too horridly.

Now, post away, my FoFers!

[Edited on 10/17/2006 by BelleBayard]
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part IX
on: October 17, 2006 07:02
I thought I'd like to be first to post after Belle and list some of the Beatle songs I can play, in case some of you want to brush up. A Day in the Life, Across the Universe, Blackbird, I'm only Sleeping, This Boy, Cry Baby Cry, Julia, Piggies, Hide Your Love Away, Let it be, Yesterday, Watching the Wheels, Imagine, I'm so Tired, With a little help from my friends, I'm looking thru you and Free as a bird. I also do quite a number of Neil Young and Crosby, Stills and Nash songs, plus many others by other artists. If we could ever get a bunch of us together, I'd just play and the rest of you could sing, especially Old Tom. Non-singers could shake tamborines, gyrate and dance. I'll bet we could make some noise. Swabby
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2006 02:39
Hi everyone.

Holy Cow!!!!!!!!! Just when you thought it was the end of the FoF, we start another thread. Yeah us. :cheers: :cheers: :disco:

Just to let you all know, that my roommates surgery went well. She is in ICU for the nest 2 days, just in case. They will put her in another room after that. Don't know how long she will be in hospital but at least she is ok. Thanks for the prayers and angels. You all are great friends.

Just made some homemade soup of left over chicken, frozen vegetables, spices and noodles. It will be this weeks stable food for supper. YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Swabby: Maybe we can all gather at Belle's new place, pitch tents, sing songs and have a ball. I would like that very much. Maybe with all of us there we could turn it into ME. Colorado has some nice scenery. Especially the mountains.

Well, I going to have a quite night and watch TTT on my new dvd's.

Belle: I thought I was finsihed with school too but ended up doing the Book Club thing with The Hobbit. I love it. After I read the Hobbit, I might just as well read LOTR. Been awhile since I read it.

Well, I off. Talk to you all later.

Namárië
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: October 17, 2006 03:40
Swabby, You are welcome at my hobbit hole anytime. I will put the kettle on or give you a nice cold drink. I will sail with you if you can promise no stormy seas.

Mith, I am glad you are doing so well. I will pm you that Hobbit link. We will just have to all get together soon.

MTMS , I love Pensacola I have vacationed there four times. I stayed on Santa Rosa Island. So you are just an hour from there. I will know if I ever vacation there again to look you up. I will sing as a back up singer if you are singing loudly to cover me up. I will just smile and look pleasant.

Belle, oh your property sounds nice. I have been to Salada, Colorado in the mountains and it was beautiful. So, good for you and your husband.

Balrog is that a new avatar? I like it. I am glad your friend is doing fine after surgery. The homemade soup sounds yummy.

HT, good to hear from you.

It was a cloudy day here but no rain thank goodness. I am reading way ahead on the Hobbit but I will come back and read the assigned reading on the correct date. We are suppose to have a cool front move through tomorrow. I am ready I have found the warm clothes.
Hello to anyone I missed. Hip Hip Hooray for us having to start a new thread. :disco: :disco: :cheers:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2006 04:02
Ahhh, yes, here we are again. Friends from all lands and races. We are called here, in the very nick of time, to maintain the goodness in the world by sharing our thoughts, joys and sorrows with full hearts and nimble fingers. It is our duty to Middle Earth to protect and preserve the bonds between us.

A day may come when we foresake our friends or break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day! This day - WE WRITE!!!!

(cheers from all 'round - lances thrust into the air (well, maybe marking pencils and letter openers).

OK, OK, that was as big a mishmash of stolen lines as I have seen in some time. But you get the idea, eh? Glad to be here with all of you. :hug:

[Edited on 18/10/2006 by Neenime]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2006 05:26
Hi All,
NeenimeI liked your mishmash of stolen lines. It was very good. I especially liked the way you wrote today WE WRITE!

Excellent!

BalrogGlad to hear your roomy is doing well. Many prayers were sent your way.

My sister-in-law is still in need of your thoughts and prayers. The funeral for her husband is 2 days away and then we are going to have her in our home for a visit. She needs to get away. She has been taking constant care of him for several months and she is exhausted.

Otherwise we are all well in Idaho/Utah.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers that have been sent so far.

Later,
Brandywine
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2006 05:32
I've been shamfully negligent about checking in with you all. You probably don't even remember me. I'll try to do better hereafter.

I am so OF I can barely remember it! My granddaughter will be 3 in December and my new grand will be born in March. Not much else to report right now/
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2006 05:50
Celebrian, I remember you! So don't feel as though you are forgotten. May I be the first to welcome you back to the fold.

My eyes are a bit crossed at the moment. I've been scoring written work all night tonight. I even enlisted the help of the spousal unit. I had him grading tests that just needed a key and someone with a red pen. Bless him, he was more than willing to do it. Gotta love that guy! Whoops, I do already! LOL

It's late here on the PoG, and it's WAY past my beddy-bye time. Take good care all, and see you on the flip-flop.
Scots
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2006 09:23
Neenime, I love those mishmash of lines because I LOVE those lines!
Celebrian, many of us have those MIA moments. Yes, I remember you too, and welcome back.
Balrog, really happy to hear your friend is doing well. I really believe in the power of prayer.
Brandy, I will pray for strength and comfort for your sis-in-law.
Thank you all for the prayers for a safe flight.:heart:
MT, Sanford is just outside Orlando. Thonpson air has flights direct from Manchester to Sanford, no stops. I think you have to hold a British passport though as its a private British company. Then I'm up to Gainesville to see my son, (the one that stayed in the states), then up to Jax to see my sisters and mum. I have been to Pensacola a few times. I like the Gulf waters much more than the Atlantic. It seems much cleaner and prettier.
Swabby, I love 'This Boy'. I used to belt it out along with my friends and sisters. We would sing along to all the Beatle records, holding a brush or anything that could be our 'mike'.
Those were the days , which reminds me I love that song too ♫ "those were the days my friends
we thought they'd never end
we'd sing and dance
forever and a day
we lived the life we'd choose
we'd fight and never lose
for we were young and sure to have our way...♫
Scots, dear me, I hope you get some down time this weekend. You deserve it!
Belle, so when we having this FoF moot on all that wonderful land?
Have a good day mellyn.

vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2006 10:37
Belle when will you have pics up of that mountainous land?

Celebrian forgive me for forgetting... but what are the names
of your children and grandchildren?

OK I missed a bunch of posts the last two days.
I am not kissing Grima... I've been busy kissing Silverleaf!
That is between classes and whatnot. :blush:

It was sunny but not warm today so I only got 3.5 miles in
on my walk after class...

Swabby let me know when your ship is due in Portland OR...
I'll be waiting at the docks... that is if you take Elven Pirates.

I ate the last slice of Lembas a bit ago... and I am down to
chocolate raisins for dessert. I Will have to get more Lembas
made after classes... right after I write that reflection paper.

Brandywine I'm keeping your sis-in-law in my prayers...

Hope everyones week is going well... :love: :hug: :wave:
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: October 18, 2006 01:31
Hey, a shiny new thread.

Glad to hear that your roommate is well, Balrog.

Swabby, your repertoire is rather impressive! Wish I had an opportunity to hear you play some day.

Welcome back, Celebrian! :disco:

Belle, whereabouts in Colorado is your property? I know a couple of people from elsewhere who live in that state, and judging from the photos they've posted, there are really beautiful landscapes there.

Today, it's such a nice weather for a change that it really is a pity to have to sit indoors at work.

Hey, it's the hump day already!
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2006 02:28
Thanks, Morwin, I told you I loved the Beatles and I really do. I know I can play a lot more than I listed, but those were the ones I have in my music binder.
And calle, I'll let you take over on "This Boy" when it comes to the really high part. That's one of my biggest problems with Beatles music---reaching those high notes.

Belle, don't take too long getting to Colorado---I think we're gonna wanna have a Middle Earth frenzy at your house.

Vicarcat, I don't know when I'll get to the west coast. They won't let pirate ships pass through the canal and it's a heck of a long journey around South America and I don't know about me unseasoned crew. You'll always be welcome to come aboard if we can end up on the same side of the world.

I've done some of that "helping wifey with her paperwork" scots. When Mrs Swabby was in college she always had me reading her compositions.

Happy humpday! Swabby
awelyn418
Send Message
on: October 18, 2006 02:42
Celebrain, :wave: welcome back and how is the weather where you live? Two grandchildren and three is such a sweet age. I have a grandson that is three.

Calle I love that song too. Hey a nonstop flight that is great. When I visit my son I always have to have two flights. So, that should work great with those pills. Have a good visit.

Morwin I am glad you are having good weather and I agree it is so hard to stay inside on a beautiful day.

VicarCat I thought of you yesterday my daughter walked three miles and she is so sore today. I am glad she is walking though.

Neenime I love your mishmash of lines and I needed a little pick me up.

Brandywine, I will be in prayer for your sister-in-law and it is probably a good idea that she comes to your house. You can be that house of healing that she needs

Scots, bless your heart and you do have a great husband to help you with your grading of papers. I hope you have a great day.

Happy Wednesday to everybody.
Melianmaia
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2006 04:37
Hello Celebrian (nice avatar) Is it getting colder where all of you are? It is getting colder here and certainly wetter in East Anglia.
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2006 08:15
Hi everyone

Celebrian of course we haven't forgotten you. Once you start with this lot its almost impossible to stop!

Belle How may posts are we up to now? with all the parts it must be an impressive number.

Brandy I am glad Joanne can come to you for a while she will need your love and support.

To everyone hugs and kisses - I paid my weekly visit to my mum today - as she is 86 every day she is here is a blessing She is in good health (thank goodness) but I count my blessings every week when I come away and she is still happy and well.

Went back to my aerobics lunchtime class today and I am knackered!

Love

HT:heart:
awelyn418
Send Message
on: October 18, 2006 09:35
Swabby you and I must have posted at the same time so good day to ye mate.

Melianmaia, yes it is getting colder but we are having a mild day today.

HT, I am glad your mom is well and you should feel blessed which evidently you do and the aerobics if it was me I would have trouble walking. Take care.
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2006 09:51
Was wondering why there were no email notifications for FOF...should have known a new thread was started. I'm curious also as to how many posts.

Belle, your Colorado property sounds wonderful. It is beautiful country there. And thanks for starting the new thread.

Love that word knackered, HT. Will try and remember that one. Good for you doing the aerobics. Glad your mum is doing well, mums are certainly a blessing.

Hello Melian, good to see you back. That is a pretty name...Melian was supposed to be the fairest of the Maia. Just finished reading a part about her and Elwë meeting in Morgoth's Ring. It said he took her hand and they stood while the stars measured out the courses of many years.

Just loved that Hobbit site, Awelyn, thank you. Guess we are just kids at heart. I have visited many Tolkien sites but have never seen that one.

Swabby, is Southern Cross one of the songs you play? I had a friend when I was in Arkansas years ago who played that on the guitar and I fell in love with the song. There is nothing like live music, would sure love to listen to you play. If we manage to have a FOF gathering, be sure to bring your guitar.

Glad to hear your roommate's surgery went well, Balrog. She is fortunate to have you there for when she goes home.

Brandy, it is good your sister-in-law will be with you after this trying time for her. Maybe just getting away a bit will help her plus all the love and support from you.

Welcome back, Celebrian. And a new grand baby on the way, what wonderful news.

It feels cold today on the POG, Scots. Seems like the temperatures bounce back and forth even more than they do in Ohio. That was so sweet of your hubby to help grade tests. Hope you can take some time for yourself soon.

Callë, good you were able to get a non-stop flight. Have a great time in all your visits. I agree, the Gulf water is so much nicer than the Atlantic. Would gladly join you for a swim if Swabby would share his astral projection secrets.

Don't know how you manage to do it all and still have time for those long walks, Cat. Your giving and helping ways remind me of the Bishop in Les Miserables that was so kind and selfless.

Hi :wave: to MT, Sindy, Morwin, Neenime, Rose, Magoleth, Morwen, Jess, Tom, Randi and anyone else I forgot.

Love & hugs to you all & happy hump day! :heart::love: :hug:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2006 04:27
Just getting in under the wire with a Grima-avoiding post.

Yup, like that word knackered, because that is surely what I am. We had a health fair at the university today and I spent all day running around helping my colleague to organize it, as well as talking to students and fellow displayers, making stress balls (from rice-filled balloons) and seeing clients. Then, after supper, off to see my private practice clients. It's good work and very satisfying but some days it takes a lot out of me. And this is one of those days

Mae Govannen , Celebrian! I am glad that you have found your way back into our fold.

Swabby - how cool that you are musical as well as gifted in drawing arts. You would make a great chorus-leader if we had a moot and a sing-along.

HT glad that your mom is doing well. She sounds like a strong lady.

Well, this little Hobbit needs her rest.

Nighty-night. :yawn:
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2006 07:06

Mith your words might well give me a big head! Thanks for the compliment.
Wish I was that good in real life but I am not there yet.
walks, Cat. Your giving and helping ways remind me of the Bishop in Les
Miserables that was so kind and selfless.>

Julie told me that Doris is going in for surgery at noon 10/19
so please keep her in your prayers...

It was cold again today in the low 60's*F for the high and gray
all day so I stayed inside after class and did laundry and homework...
Perhaps it will be drier for Nightwatch on Thursday.

Ohhh maybe we could hold that FoF gathering near Belles land eh?
Hmmm .... are there any nice snow lodges there?
Arrg... How do we get Swabby's boat up the mountains west of the
Missouri River? Can we hire Orcs to tow it?

Ah well I know I've forgotten to reply to many posts...
but I remember all of you in my prayers! :love: :hug: :cheers:

I'm still trying to figure out how to rebuild Rivendel on a shoestring...
Perhaps I need something wider then a shoestring to build the
foundation for the houses on eh?

Silverleaf said my Elven knives will be here on monday so I get to
pick them up between midterm tests... :disco:
And no I will not wear them to class, [sigh] the law wont let me... :cry:

callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2006 08:47
good morning!
Swabby, I forgot to tell you what a lovely thought that was. I indeed will think of sitting behind Gandalf on a giant eagle. Such a calming thought.
I am truly gutted though, that I wont be back until late on the 31st. I had an e-mail from the 'save Perrots Folly' org. (Ya know, Perrots Folly was the inspiration for the two towers. When I was in Birmingham in May for Tolkien weekend I signed a petition to keep Perrots folly and restore it to be a meeting place and also for tourists to be able to visit. I also said I would volunteer to help in any way.) anyway, they are having a big Halloween party and I am invited. There will be refreshments (a delight for any hobbit), fire eating, games, and fireworks (Gandalf would be proud), Lovely lit walks through the elven woods of JRR's past (Truly elvenly), and the special guest is Tim Tolkien. But I cant go! :cry: I wont be back in time. Would anybody in this area like to go in my stead?? Family is invited and it should be great fun.
Remember, the big ring con festival will be in the UK next April. Totally LOTR. Any takers for a FoF meet here?? ah well, if not then Belle should just prepare her land.
Vicarcat..you have pushed your rain over here this morning.
Have a lovely day all!!
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2006 01:26
:disco: :cheers: :rolling:
I'm a Happy Hobbit! I finally got all of those darned writing assignments corrected last night and got to bed at a fairly decent hour. Still later than is my wont, but hey, baby steps. As I was finishing up the last of the papers last night, I told myself that there was a reason that I only did four full-blown writing assignments a year. They take so darned long to correct. Now, when I only had 7 kids, that was one thing, but with 100+...weeel, that's another story. But this weekend's looking like I can finally get down and do the article critiques that are due on Monday for my class. :twitch: :twitch: I will be VERY glad when this class is over and I can veg for a day or two.

callë, I'm so sorry to hear that you won't be able to go to the "do" for Perrots Folly. That sounds amazing! I'd be happy to go in your stead, but I don't think that I will be able to get over there that soon. Drats! See, I *told* you guys, I live on the PoG. Nothing ever exciting happens here except natural disasters, and I think that's something we could all live without.

Hi Ho! Hi Ho! It's off to school I go! Have a good day all. Remember that the weekend is almost here!
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2006 03:19
After stumbling against the locked door of the old FoF thread *rubs nose and bruised wing*, I finally found you all here.

Have read through the posts, smiled, winced and enjoyed the content.

Good to hear you are a happy hobbit, scots :hug:

So wish I could take you up on that offer, calle. As far as RingCon UK is concerned, doubt I or Magoleth will be making the over expensive journey to London to pay hotel bills on top of having to pay for venue tickets. Seems there is only London exists as far as some organisers are concerned. Birmingham would have been the *ideal* venue ~ central and Tolkien's home. *sigh*.

'knackered' is a great UK word isn't it. Really sums the feeling of being utterly exhausted.

I've been a bit out of sorts, in a hole, a void, a bit of a dark place. It's nice to know I am missed, and for that I thank you. :love: Hope no-one minded my sharing that.

Hugest and warmest hugs to one and all and to quote an Andy Williams song:

♪ May each day of the week be a good day
May your God always watch over you
And may all of your daydreams be wishes
And may all of your wishes come true ♪

*Unfurls wings, wheels North East and heads back to the Misty Mountains*

swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2006 05:20
I'm sorry to hear that you've been a bit down, Rose. I think we all get that way from time to time, I know I do. If I can cheer you up with some dirty jokes, sea stories or silly poems, please call on me. I'm sure your other FoF friends would give it their best shot also. You don't have to bear your burdens alone, ya know.

Yes I can play "Southern Cross", Mith. I'd have to practice on it a little, but it's fairly easy to play. My playing style is well-suited for CSN. My brother plays more like Eric Clapton and I play more like James Taylor or Neil Young. If we ever have a get together, I'll bring at least two guitars. Neenime's hubby plays guitar also, so she'll need to bring him along. We could do some traditional Canadian songs like "Oh, I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK". Wouldn't that be a hoot?

Does "knackered" mean the same as "tuckered"? Here in the Ozarks we say "plum wore out", as in "Shoot, Wanda May, I can't go coon huntin' wif you tonight, I'm plum wore out!"

I have already envisioned you and Gandalf swooping across the sky, calle. You're having so much fun that you start requesting Gandalf to make it do stunts. "Weeeee, now let's do some loops Gandalf!" A real natural, you are. You'll be just fine.

I love your new avi, balrog. How's your friend doing? Make sure she has a big soft pillow to hold to her chest.

How are you, Awelyn? Are you enjoying the cooler weather? Are you getting some color in the leaves? We are. I'll bet Neenime and Jessamyn are really enjoying their Autumn.

Now where's MT? I'll bet she spied a dark Ranger-looking fellow down the beach and went to investigate. I hope she took some food and water with her.

Good luck with rebuilding Rivendell, Vicarcat. I might suggest enslaving some orcs and putting them to work on it, but you can't trust their craftmanship. I know, I think they built the Jolly Ranger. (formerly known as the Dirty W*h*o*r*e) All the ladders have such wide spacing on the rungs that I'm constantly splitting me pants.

Scots, don't you have someone you can pull rank on and get them to do that paperwork for ya? You're gonna need a holiday.

Happy Thursday, all you FoFer's! Swabby

HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2006 08:50
Hi everyone

Rose I am glad you are back I think I know how you feel if its anything like 'pull the covers over my head and make the world go away' I have been there.

knackered yes it means tired out or to use another Scottish expression 'fair puggled!"

I keep thinking today is Friday and its not its only Thursday

Take care all of you

Love and hugs

HT:heart:
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2006 10:25
"Fair puggled", HT? That one would be a difficult one for many Americans to grasp...imagine hubby would look at me and say "what did you call me?". But I'll bet Swabby could come up with an interesting explanation. And since we are on the subject, I grew up with the saying "I'm pooped" which means the same thing. Think I'll try the knackered and see what reactions I get.

Good to see you back, Rose. Guess even dragons can't always fly above the shadows. You are always welcome to share your thoughts here. We all have those times of darkness ere the sun rises. :heart:

There was some good artwork on that Hobbit site, Awelyn. Did kids really do those drawings? Some real talent there.

Perrot's Folly sounds like a great place for a party, Callë. And lots of fun. Would so enjoy seeing the beautiful elven woods. Have a great time!

Can almost see Scots behind the pile of paperwork now. The sun is shining today so it must be diminishing.

Hope everyone is having a grand Thursday! Love and hugs. :heart::love: :hug:
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2006 10:27
Forgot to add...and you will appreciate this one, MT. Sister-in-law called to see what I wanted for Christmas and I told her an Aragorn standee. It was on my wish list last year but I told her I didn't really expect hubby to get it. Hope she can find one.
awelyn418
Send Message
on: October 19, 2006 11:15
Rose, I am so glad to see your dragon flying. Sorry you have been down. I have been listening to my LOTR cd ROTK and it is so inspiring. I have been so depressed though that nothing helped. I just had to work my way through or just wait for it to pass. Anyway I am so glad you are back. I remember that Andy Williams song. Shh-Shh don't tell any of the hard rockers here but I like Andy Williams especially Moon River.

Swabby the leaves are getting prettier everyday Even today with the rain and clouds there were some that took my breath away .

Oh yes I have been tuckered,knackered, pooped,fairpuggled and beat. I love different words that have the same meaning. HT.

Mith, some of the drawings are by the kids in that teachers class.
I am having a grand Thursday because I don't have to work tomorrow. :disco: :disco: :rolling:

Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2006 11:57
Wow, this is a fast moving thread! Everyone seems so active and busy. I've had to take disability retirement and don't really do much beyond playing with my granddaughter and reading. I guess I'm sort of a wet blanket.

I've lived in a few places over the years and even though it's been over 20 years since I lived in the UK I still use some of the lingo I picked up there, "knackered" being one of those words Local idioms are interesting and I steadfastly defend the use of "y'all" as plural.

swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2006 12:12
Greetings, Celebrian! I, too, am disabled with a bad heart, and would be playing with my grandaughter if she was here. (She lives in Texas, I live in Arkansas) We're a frisky but loving bunch here, so if you want to mix it up with some live wires and shed that wet blanket, just hang around.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2006 12:58
Rose I think I speak for all of us in reinforcing that we are all here as friends. We share our joys, our sillies, our sorrows and our down days. That's what mature friends do and we are nothing if not mature !

:hug: to you, my dear. I wonder of Awelyn's idea of putting on the LOTR music would help. Then again, the dark side needs its time and maybe there is something in your life that needs you to slow down and really look at it. IN any case, know that you have our support.

"Plum wore out" - I like that one, too.

Hooray for scots and her completed labours! :cheers:

Mith I can inderstand hubby not being keen on bringing a life-like rival into the house. My honey-bunch woud turn his nose up at that, too. Poor dear.

Speaking of my sweetie - here's our latest photo, which will be used on the book he is publishing.

See the other photo with a woman in costume , playing that instrument like a pregnant guitar? That's our good friend and a fellow Uke. We were all in a Ukrainian folk group together - we sang, danced and she was our bandura instructor. (PS - also a big LOTR fan whom I am trying to entice to our site).
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2006 03:05
I keep thinking today is Friday and its not its only Thursday

I can second that emotion. We were talking about this very fact during our team meeting this morning. Tomorrow really *should* be Saturday. harrumph!

Rose, lift your wings and soar over the PoG. I'll have the big screen TV fired up, required movies (you don't have to ask which ones) awaiting your arrival, and comforting mugs of tea or any other beverage of your choice. That will make you feel better. And to the rest of the FoF, the door is always open and the kettle on. I think we should have a cheering up party for those of us who feel down. I know I've been there at least a dozen times the last month, as Rose well knows. Hugs to you, dear friend.

"Fair puggled" I'm going to have to remember that. I try to bring as many new words, and words they should know and don't, into my classroom. On more than one occassion I've heard, "How do you know all that?" Simple says I. I read! LOL I ususally get lots of groans from my non-readers at this point.

A couple of my boys cracked me up today. They were acting out Gollum as he was in TTT. I went off into Gollum's poetry in the cave in The Hobbit and other key scenes in LotR. They couldn't believe that I knew all those lines. "Hey, that wasn't in the movie!" was a comment I heard. *sigh* I wish they'd break out of their rap-laden, mind-numbing-video game worlds into the wonderful world of literature.

We had an early dismissal and professional development day today. Ours was on school safety and what to do if some crazed lunatic stormed the school. The local police department was there and we went over scenerios and possibilites all afternoon. I was quite depressed thank you very much by the end of the day. Ironically, the Friskies plant that's less than a half a mile from our school had a chemical leak (ammonia) which shut down the plant and it was evacuated. That was another one of the scenarios that we went through too. Life imitating simulation.

I did have a very "feel good" moment today though. It was one of those moments that reaffirm just why I'm in teaching. *sigh* I have one young man who is 12 going on 35. His brother is in jail for gang activity, and I'm afraid that this young man may get sucked into it. When that's what you're raised with, that's all you know. Anyhoo, he was outside my classroom the period before he came to me. I happened to look out my window as he was looking in. We both kind of started and he gave me a kind of goofy face which I, in turn, gave back and we both laughed. "José" went back into his room, and one of the girls in my classroom told me, "Did you know that José's favorite class is language arts and you're his favorite teacher? He's been telling everyone that." I about dropped my teeth. Now, language arts usually isn't on the top of the list for kids, so I can tell you that my heart melted. After the little nightmare that's made my life rotten and left me feeling like I was in the wrong profession, it's nice to hear that the kids that others before have pretty much written off is being impacted in a positive way. Makes me happy.

Well, homework beckons, so it's off I go. It's almost the weekend! :disco:

brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2006 04:59
Hello y'all,
I like that phrase too. We are back in Idaho. Many thanks for my sis-in-law. She has a lot of greiving and missing her husband left to do but she gets better everyday. After the funeral today she ate a decent meal for the first time in at least a week. I think she had a nap afterwards as well. She is looking better and while the sadness is by no means gone she is not in shock over it anymore. You are a great bunch to think of someone you don't even know in their time of need.

Scots-Glad you were able to get all the papers checked. That's so tough but what insight you get about the students when you are able to analyze their writing and see how they think.

I was going to say something to each of you but I think the effects of the last few days have me in their grip and I am tired and headachy. Our sister will be staying with us for a bit and is coming up tomorrow. It will be good for her.

Hugs to you all.
Oh! and Rose-Sorry to hear you were down. Hope everything will be upbeat for you again soon.

See you all later. I'm going to hit the sack as I am all in.
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2006 08:40
Well, it is Friday now so TGIF!!
Rose, have been there on too many occasions to remember. Just you remember how special you are to us. Hope you feel better soon. :hug: By the way, that is a gorgeous Misty mountains you are flying over.
Neenime, what a really lovely photo of you and hubby. What a handsome couple!
Scots, that is heartwarming. All it takes to change a life is one positive influence to give a person strength. Bless you. :angel:
Awelyn, My dad was a great music lover as well and always had the hi-fi playing his favourite records. He had many Andy W. records and my favourite song that he sang was 'Exodus'. Beautiful song.
I have to bed early tonight as my flight is early in the a.m., so I probably will sneeekksss onto my sisters pc sometime over the next few days.
Have a good friday mellyn.
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: October 20, 2006 12:31
Yes, now it really is Friday. And, the rain is back, plus that I've got a very persistent cough so, today I'm not going to do anything productive after I get home.

Sorry to hear that you've been a bit down, Rose. et: Hope you'll find a nice thermal that will lift you up again.

Scots, that was a great little story about "José"! Hopefully that kid ends up better than his older brother.

Nice photos again, Neenime!

Yesterday morning, my mom was taken to the hospital. She's over 80, and has suffered from heart problems for several years already. I called her yesterday evening, and she was already feeling better, but she'll probably have to stay there over the weekend.

Anyway, have a great weekend, everybody! :hug:

I'm going to have a coffee break.
Melianmaia
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2006 01:20
Nice Photos Neemine. What is the musical instrument called? and can Swabby play home on the range on it? Also is that a pairs driving wagon the children are sitting on?
It is Friday and I am knackered or as we sometimes say in East Anglia I'm wacked.
Calle, you say the ringcon is in the UK in April, where in the UK?
Prayers on the wings for your mum Morwinyoniel.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email