Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Ranger's Apprentice.KEEP
on: December 27, 2006 11:37
ooc: Welcome friends of old and friends who are new! This is the sequel to Becoming a Ranger, so if any of you people who don't know what we are talking about, just refer to that thread. Anytime you need to speak your mind about this thread just go to the Becoming a Ranger ooc. Please pm me your characters if you have not participated in Becoming a Ranger. Thanks

IC: Benn looked back as he rode out of Rivendell. That had been his home for a while. "Come on boy, we had better get going." Benn said to his horse Stormryne.
Benn was a young boy of eighteen who wanted to become a Ranger. His reasons for this were because he wanted to destory the evil on the earth that had killed his Father.
Benn used to live in a town called Bree. His father had lived there all his life and Benn and his sister had been born there. His mother however was an elven maiden of Rivendell.
Benn's father had been called away to help in a battle not far front heir borders.
Benn had wanted to go, but his mother would not let him. "Listen son, you need to stay here and protect your mother, just in case anything happens." His Father said before he left. Benn lowered his head sadly. His Father lifted his chin. "I love you Benn." That was the last thing his Father said to him.
then his Father left and he never returned. Benn was left to take care of his younger sister, Oriel, and his mother.

Thats when they moved to Rivendell. When they had settled into Rivendell Benn became restless. He knew he could do something to avenge his father, but he didn't know what.
He soon decided he would become a ranger.
He left his mother and sister in tears.
Now we are back to where we left off. Benn rode out, he was at a walk, he felt he should not use all his horse's energy yet.
Benn had found an elven sword to use before he left, he admired the workmanship of it. "I wonder if I shall be the only half elven Ranger?" Benn thought aloud. "I am sure there must be others, I cannot be the only half elf that wants to be a Ranger" Benn said, although he didn't really care.

Benn was riding down a road that was shaded by beautiful trees. He had no time to admire the baeuty however, he wanted to reach the North and fast! He wanted to be a Ranger as soon as possible.
As he came to a turn in the path he saw something, or someone slip into a bush at the side of the road. Benn pulled out his bow and pointed an arrow in the direction where he saw the person run. "Drop your weapon if you carry one and come out!" Benn shouted, he knew you couldn't be too careful around these parts.

[Edited on 3/2/2007 by ElfmaidenofLorien]
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Ranger's Apprentice.KEEP
on: December 27, 2006 05:16
Nathron rode Ross nearby to Rivendell, the 6'3 red-haired elf was glad to have gotten his friend back. After leaving the red stallion to hurry back to Rivendell he had feared for his saftey. Nathron sighed slightly, Amdireth, Silmrahil, and Leassa were all nearby.
He had decided to wander off on his own a bit, he knew his companions would be safe, and he did stay near at hand to keep an eye out. Nathron got off Ross' back, walking beside the horse now. He walked out towards the road, intending to head back to Rivendell, when he saw an armed man on the road.
Nathron shrunk back into the trees, drawing a throwing knife from his belt.
"Drop your weapon if you carry one and come out!

Nathron rolled his eyes, "And why should I? You carry weapons, is it right for you to be able to defend yourself while I can not?" Nathron moved into the tree branches, where he knew that he would be harder to spot.
"Tell me, stranger, what buisness have you here?" He sat perfectly still.

OOC: Yay! It is good to have this
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2006 05:38
(I'm glad you enjoy it)

Benn became annoyed at this person. "I won't shoot if you come out unarmed." Benn said, he still held his bow ready.
The stranger still did not come out. "As for my business, that is my own." Benn said. "Drop it boy." A female voice said firmly.
Benn dropped his bow an arrow. He looked back to see a tall maiden who wore the clothes of a traveler. "You alright Nathron?" Amdireth called to the stranger that had been hidden.
Nathron came out to show he was alright. "What right do you have to stop people on the road boy?" Amdireth asked, she kept her firmness. "Look, I don't want any trouble. I'm just trying to get to the Rangers of the North." Benn said.
Amdireth was surprised by this, she lowered her bow slightly. "Why? Why do you want to join the Rangers?" Amdireth asked, she didn't want to give away the fact that she was a Ranger, yet.
"Because I want to avenge my father. He was killed a long time ago." Benn said. "They will not let you join." Amdireth said simply, she slung her bow on her shoulder. Benn looked at her with surprise. "Why not?" Benn asked. "Because you will get yourself killed with that adittude." Amdireth said. "How come you know so much?" Benn asked, he was getting angry. "Maybe I knew a Ranger once." Amdireth said mysteriously. Amdireth could see Nathron's confusion.
"You knew a Ranger! Tell me all about him!" Benn said excitedly. "What makes you think this Ranger was a he?" Amdireth said. "You mean this Ranger you knew was a girl?" Benn asked, he sounded disgusted. "You don't think girls can do Ranger's work?" Amdireth said, she put her hand on her hip. "I guess they could. Can you tell me all about the Rangers?" Benn begged. "Maybe later. You can come with us, I'll take you to the Rangers. But I will tell you one thing boy, you will need to change your adittude. They won't let you join if you are only going to get yourself killed. Joining the Rangers is not for revenge, its so you can help the free peoples of Middle earth, it isn't for your own victory." Amdireth explained. Benn thought about this for a minute, then nodded. "Come on, follow me." Amdireth said, she led him into the forest where they had set up camp.
"What's your name?" Benn asked while he brushed his horse. "I'm Amdireth, this is Nathron. I have other friends around here somewhere." Amdireth said, she scanned the forest, then got back to cleaning her sword.
After a few minutes she looked up for her sword. "What is your name?" Amdireth asked. "Benn." Benn said. "And where are you from?" Amdireth asked, she looked back at her clean sword. "Rivendell." Benn said simply. Amdireth looked up in surprise. "You don't look like an elf." Amdireth said. "I'm not. I'm a half elf. My mother lived in Rivendell before she got married so after father died we moved there." Benn explained. "I see." Amdireth said. "Where do you come from?" Benn asked. "Why do you want to know?" Amdireth asked. "Well you asked me, so why can't I ask you?" Benn said simply. "I'm from a small town." Amdireth said. Benn nodded, she seemed so mysterious to him.
Benn looked over at Nathron. He seemed mysterious also. Maybe he had gotten himself trapped by some spies of a foreign land. "No, they would have either killed me or had me tied up by now." Benn thought, his mind ran with ideas and thoughts of these new people, but he soon forgot them when food was ready to eat.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2006 06:04
Nathron came out of the trees at Amdireth's intervention. He observed the boy quietly, looking to be a ranger of the north? Interesting. Amdireth was one, though when she said that she might know a ranger it set him back a pace. Of course she knew one, she was one!
Nathron smiled as they walked, Amdireth was getting the better hand of the boy time and time again, he covered his mouth with his hand to stifle his laughter. And he was doing very well...for a while at least.
He had cooked the food while Amdireth had cleaned her sword. So she and Benn both seemed glad for the meal.
"I do hope you like it." he said tonelessly, still trying not to laugh.
"So, Benn, you want to become a ranger...a noble task, and I see you are aware of your surroundings...that is good also..." Nathron came very close to the boy, looking him dead in the eyes, attempting to unnerve him. The boy seemed nervous but did not do anything.
Nathron sat back, pleased, and did not say anything for a few minitues as he ate, he quickly looked at Amdireth, his eyes hinting that he had something in mind for the boy and for her not to do anything, then without warning he lunged at Benn with his bare hand.
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2006 09:44
Leassa regarded the boy with obvious dislike. He seemed to think that women were not capable of anything, and the mere thought made her angry. So when she heard that he was looking to become a ranger, her eyes widened and her lip curled up. He would surely think that he was the only half - elven ranger, though she was half - elven herself.

First impressions were always important to Leassa, and she had decided that this boy was too sure of himself. And then she remembered Amdireth, and what had happened with them originally. They had hated each other openly, but now Amdireth was as near to a friend as Leassa was allowing her to get. And then she saw Nathron lunge for Benn, and leaned back against the tree, a slight smile on her lips.

Leassa twisted a strand of her hair around one finger. It had grown a lot, it was past hip length, but she did not want to cut it. She doubted that the boy would be able to overpower Nathron, and even if he did, she decided to be next in line to challenge the boy.

[Edited on 28/12/2006 by bow_and_arrow]
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2006 11:44
Nathron and Benn were in a struggle for some reason rolling about in a fight. At this moment Simrahil burst out of the bushes around them riding Orin and with an eagle flying beside him.

He quickly analised the situation as much as he could and brought Oring next to the struggling pair. He drew his sharp blade and shot it in betyween the two of them at his first chance, causing them to stop.

"Someone tell me what is going on here"he asked questioningly.
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2006 03:30
"Simrahil!" said Leassa, standing up and frowning. "I wanted to see this boy beaten," she said under her breath so that only he could hear it. Then, so that the others could hear, she said, "This is Benn, he wants to become a ranger. Nathron was just... putting him through his paces." She looked up at Simrahil, whistling to her hawk. It flew to her arm, and she turned on her heel and strode out of the clearing, to find the other rangers who she felt more at home with.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2006 05:42
Benn was shocked at the sudden attack from Nathron. Amdireth sat down and watched, she was quite amused.
Benn tried to fight back as best he could but Nathron was too strong.
Then when the sword came between the two Benn froze, he stared at the sword with wide eyes.
Amdireth started to laugh when Leassa stood and explained what was going on. "Now now Leassa. I think Benn has had enough. But you didn't have to break up such a good fight Simrahil, it's the best fight I've seen Nathron involved in in a while." Amdireth said, she walked over and gave Benn her hand so she could help him to his feet.
Benn hesitated in taking her hand, he was begining to think all these people were crazy. "Maybe I should go now. I've wasted enough of my time with you. I should be on the orad heading to the North." Benn said, he walked over and took his horse's reins. "Do you really think that you can go out on your own with so many dangers around? You can't even beat Nathron." Amdireth said, an idea had come into her head. "I'll be fine, thanks." Benn said, he mounted his steed. "Well, hope you have fun. I hope you do not run into any other Nathron's on the road." Amdireth said with a smile. Benn glared at her then rode off.
Amdireth could see that her friends didn't quite understand her plan. "Don't worry we'll follow him. I just thought we should let him know what it's like to be alone for a while. You know, put him through his paces." Amdireth said, she saw that everyone seemed to understand this test. "We'll follow him and intervene when he gets himself in trouble, which shouldn't take too long." Amdireth said, she knew that Benn was very reckless and would probably get himself caught up with a bunch of orcs soon after he left them.
Amdireth readied her horse Gwenneth for a ride. "Lets go and get that boy out of trouble." Amdireth said, then she mounted and rode out.
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2006 09:46
Mirelwen saw the others first, but Arnarel also spotted them soon after she did.
" Nathron, Amdireth, Leassa, Simrahil! Wait." She called gently so that they heard her, but a human would not have. She trotted to meet them with Arnarel on her tail.
" Well met, tell me how have you been? It has been a while. Did you happen to meet Benn, two certain persons wished us to track him and keep him out of trouble." She gave them a wink and a smile." We figured he would need it, his attitude will get him in trouble for certain, we tried telling him that, but he is hard headed, like another human I know." Again she gave the mysteriuos smile as she waited for a reply. During all of her one breath sentences, Arnarel just shook his head and tried not to laugh as he remembered the talk they gave both humans.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2006 10:56
Amdireth laughed when she heard what Mirelwen said. "He is hard headed, but then I know I must have been the same." Amdireth said, then she realized her mission at hand.

They rode after Benn. "Now remember, we are letting Benn learn things the hard way. If he gets in trouble we don't move until I say. I think this is the only way he is going to learn." Amdireth explained. Then she led her horse off the road and into the forest again. She dismounted and let Gwenneth wander around. They followed Benn in complete silence.
As they followed him they came upon a goblin camp. "Stop here, I know he'll get himself into trouble with these guys." Amdireth said, she knelt down.

Benn rode on, not knowing he was being followed. "I wonder who those people were and why they stopped me. I have a mission to do, I can't be stopped." Benn said.
Then he heard a sound on the side of the road. Benn pulled out his bow and strung an arrow.
Goblins began to race out at him. Benn shot all the arrows he had, but he soon ran out. He pulled out his sword and jumped from his horse. He fought well, but it was a losing battle.

"Come on, we had better help him." Amdireth said, she rose and unsheathed her sword.
Benn heard another sound coming from the forest and in his fright he pulled out his bow and picked up an arrow he found lying on the ground. He shot at the sound that had come from the forest.
He heard a groan and then a thump. The goblins were still going crazy, trying to kill him, and the others that had just come out.
Amdireth had been shot by Benn's arrow. She clutched her wound and took two steps, then she fell down on the road.
Benn stared in terror at the person he had shot. He ran over and knelt by her. "I'm sorry! Is there anything I can do?" Benn asked franticly. " Reckless. So reckless." Amdireth whispered, then she closed her eyes. Benn was pushed out of the way by Leassa.
Benn turned back to his enemies and cut them down. He was so angry with himself, he had shot an innocent person and she might die. Her words to him continued to run through his head. "Reckless. So reckless."
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2006 02:17
Nathron rode near Amdireth silently, contemplating the boy. He was young and reckless, he would probably get himself into a lot of trouble. Nathron shook his head slightly, he knew that he had done so when he was the boy's age.
They eventually came to a goblin camp.
"Stop here, I know he'll get himself into trouble with these guys."

Nathron drew his sword just in case but he got off of Ross' back and crouched down near Amdireth. Watching.
After a while it seemed that Benn was loosing the battle.
"Come on, we had better help him."

Nathron made to follow Amdireth when suddenly an arrow was shot and it struck her.
"Amdireth!!!" Nathron said, he caught her as she fell, he picked her up and carried her away from the battle, to a safer spot. Leassa, and the others were taking care of the goblins. Benn suddenly appeared.
"I'm sorry! Is there anything I can do?"

Nathron grabbed the boy by the collar, "Go get help, If you have any sense still left about you you will go and get some help!" His voice was stone cold, harsh,and angry. Nathron was furious at the boy.
"Reckless. So reckless."
Amdireth kept saying.
Nathron went back to her, and carefully removed the arrow, he did not have the healing plants that might save her, so he took some cloth and pressed it to the wound, trying to stop the blood from flowing.
"It is alright...I'm here. Your going to be ok." He muttered.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2006 04:06
Benn quickly ran and got his horse when Nathron told him to get help.
Benn really wasn't sure what to do, or where to go. "Back to
Rivendell I suppose." Benn thought. He jummped on his horse and rode as fast as possible.
When he came back to Rivendell he called for a healer to come immdiately. a young maiden ran over. "I will help." She said. "Oriel, I don't know if mother would want you to go." Benn said. "If what you say is true, and this girl is going to die by your hand, then you shouldn't be worry about who is going to do the healing." Oriel said. Benn grabbed Oriel's arm and pulled her onto his horse.

Meanwhile Amdireth was fading fast. The arrow had injured her badly and she had lost much blood. She clutched Nathron's hand. She looked at her friends faces as they stood near.
"I can't die Nathron,I need to take care of that reckless boy ." Amdireth whispered.
Then Benn rode up with his sister. "I brought a healer." Benn said, he helped her down. Oriel ran over and knelt beside her. "She is in bad shape. I will need room, so please leave. I will tell you what will happen to her when I am finished." Oriel said.
Oriel immdiately began to work.
Benn could feel everyone glaring at him, if Amdireth died he would be probably be killed by one of her friends.

Once darkness had fallen Oriel was done. She rose, she looked a little sad. "I do not know if she will survive. She seems strong but her wound was bad. It depends on her will, only time will tell how she will fare." Oriel said. "I had better head home now. I will take your horse, Benn, then send him back." Oriel said, she mounted Benn's horse and rode off. She had left healing herbs and other things for them to use later.
Amdireth lay still and quiet on the ground, she was sleeping. Benn looked at her, she was very strong, she would make it. "I hope." Benn thought sadly.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2006 04:22
Nathron held onto Amdireth's hand, he worried to much for his friend.
"I can't die Nathron,I need to take care of that reckless boy ."

Nathron smiled weakly, that was just like Amdireth to care about others first.
"Shh...you won't die, not if I have anything to say about it." He said softly to her.
The healer, led by Benn, arrived.
"She is in bad shape. I will need room, so please leave. I will tell you what will happen to her when I am finished."

Nathron paused, it was a wrench to leave Amdireth like she was, but he knew that he should. He kissed Amdireth's brow, and left with the others. Staying nearby to keep watch. At the moment he did not even think about Benn, he was to worried about Amdireth to really care. But after a while he figured he had better say something to the boy...he was angry.
"Benn, if Amdireth dies her blood will be on your hands. You will have murdered someone who was willing to help you, and someone who is a very dear friend of mine..." he looked at the boy with hard eyes, "I will not be the one to kill you if she does die. Amdireth would not want that. But if she does you will have some very serious concequenses to face. Do I make myself clear?" He said, his voice icy.
The healer was finished by then, and Nathron returned to her side as the healer left. He cradled her gently, watching over her like a mother cat would her newborn kittens.
"Please don't die." He whispered.

[Edited on 1/1/2007 by minstral_of_the_dawn]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2006 04:32
Benn could not move his eyes from Nathron's stare when he spoke to him. Benn knew it was true. If she died he would never be able to live with himself.
Benn felt his heart ache when he saw the sadness on Nathron's face as he cradled her. He quickly walked away and sat down far from everyone else, he needed to think.
"I should never have left home. I am obviously not able to do anything right. I shot a girl that tried to help me." Benn said, he put his face in his hands and wept. He didn't know Amdireth very well, but seeing the pain on all her friendsfaces was too much for him to bear.
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2006 10:43
Leassa walked over and sat down beside Benn. She began to clean her sword, with long flowing movements down the length of the blade. "There is no need to cry, Amdireth is strong, she'll pull through." Benn could not see the shadow of doubt cross her face. "You just need to be less headstrong, Benn. You see...." She wondered whether to tell Benn that they were Rangers, and then decided to wait to ask Amdreth, when she had healed. If she healed. "It's nothing," Leassa said, waving a hand in dismissal. "One day you will know." She sat in silence, realising that Benn might think that she was more friendly and warm - hearted than really she was, and when the night fell she sat as far away from the fire and everyone else as she could, with the hood of her cloak pulled down so that it cast a shadow across her face.
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2006 11:58
mdireth had been shot Simrahil knew there was nothing they could do, until a trained healer arrived, and so he sat on the floor, thinking about the events that had unfolded.

But when the healer did arrive he quickly mounted orin and called for Findel quietly. Then he left the clearing and rode into the wood, in search of herbs. He found many that he would need, and he also filled his water skins from a small stream that trickled through the wood. So he turned and rode back to where Amdireth lay.

He quickly sorted his herbs out, and began to boil the water. When it was steaming he put the herbs into it and placesthe bowl of water and herbs near to Amdireths head. It was a matter of Amdireths will if she survived now, and the sweet scents of the herbs would help to keep her in the real world, and would keep her mind active, though peaceful.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2006 05:28
Benn was surprised that Leassa was being kind to him. He listened but his eyes were always on the limp figure on the ground.
Benn did not sleep at all that night, he saw that everyone else seemed to just want to be alone and were sitting byt themselves.
The only one who was still beside Amdireth was Nathron. Benn stood and walked over. "Why don't you get some sleep Nathron? I can watch her." Benn said, he knew that Nathron wouldn't sleep but he could at least rest a little.
Nathron put up a fight against having Benn watch Amdireth but he soon gave in.
Benn sat down beside her. He watched her calm face, she seemed to be having peaceful dreams.

When the sun sent out its first rays of light Benn suddenly woke. He couldn't remember falling asleep. He looked over at Amdireth. Her face looked very white, and her breathing was almost unnoticeable. "Oh no." Benn whispered. "Please don't die Amdireth, don't give in to it." Benn begged. "Don't die, your friends will miss you too much." Benn whispered.
Benn said these words over and over again, then when the sun rose over the mountains Amdireth's eyes opened.
Color came back into her cheeks, it seemed she would be alright. "You're alright!" Benn shouted happily. "It was so strange. I was walking in a green field, and someone was leading me towards a great light, but then I heard many voices calling to me. then I was sent back." Amdireth said.
She smiled when she saw all her friends around her. "I made it back home." Amdireth said with a smile. Then she looked at Benn and frowned. "You have a lot to learn about fighting boy. We will take you to the Rangers still, but I will teach you things along the way." Amdireth said, she was already making plans and she had just woken from her sleep. "Maybe you should wait on that Amdireth. Wait until you are all better." Benn said. "What do you mean, I could ride a horse if I wanted to." Amdireth protested. "Amdireth, you almost died, just wait a few days more." Benn said, he liked Amdireth a lot now, and admired her for her strength. He new that he would have given into death if he were in her situation.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2006 05:48
Nathron was tired, but he refused to sleep! He had to keep an eye on Amdireth. Then Benn came and offered to take over for him. Nathron glared, but exaution was taking its tole on him, and so he let the boy look after Amdireth. If nothing else then it would teach him a little more of the person.
Nathron stayed near to the two as he could, not even bothering to climb up a tree. He watched until even he had dozed off.
Morning came and he saw ben hunched over Amdireth, worry hit him like a punch in the gut. He limped over, expecting the worst, but Amdireth was alright.
"Amdireth, you almost died, just wait a few days more."

Nathron shook his head, a smile on his lips.
"Benn, one thing you have to learn is that Amdireth is by far more stubborn then you." His voice was gentle and forgiving for the first time in the last two days.
"So we will have to reach a compromise." he glared at Amdireth, telling her that if she argued she would not be allowed up. "We shall eat, and then Amdireth shall ride infront of one of us when we leave." Nathron shook his head and went about preparring some breakfast.
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2006 06:02
" IS she going to be alright and what happened?" Mirelwen looked around as Arnarel asked the questions. She felt uneasy, but that was normal, considering all the goblins around.[/i]I knew we should have kept up, but the horses had to stop for water. So stubborn, everything they want goes. I could have been here to help.[i]She did not realize that she had said aloud what she meant to think. The look on her face was shock and embarrassment when she realized that. Mirelwen felt guilty that she had let her horse be in control, she was thinking too much here lately, but it has all been about her past, the good, the bad, and the deadly.
Aravis17
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2006 08:52
ooc: waiting for the go ahead from elfmaiden so i can post...
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2006 04:45
(go ahead Aravis.)

Amdireth smiled when she heard Nathron say she could ride. "Must you be so stern Nathron?" Amdireth said, she smiled at him.
She slowly pushed herself up into a sitting position. Pain showed on her face as she sat up.
She saw all her friends looked worried. "Please don't worry about me. I'm fine." Amdireth said, she smiled slightly although pain showed on her face.

Amdireth ate the food that was given to her. She noticed Benn was staring at her. She rolled her eyes. "I thought I told you not to worry." Amdireth said. "I'm sorry." Benn said he looked away. "You don't have to get upset about it." Amdireth said, she looked at her empty plate. "When do we ride Nathron?" Amdireth asked, she couldn't wait to leave. Amdireth decided to hide her idenity of being a Ranger until she came to the North, she didn't want Benn to know that he had almost killed a Ranger.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2006 07:06
"Soon, after you have finished eating." Nathron said, smiling slightly.
He whistled and Ross came over, kneeling down beside his friend. Nathron helped Amdireth on, though she protested, and got on behind her.
"We should set out quickly." he said to his friends, and companions.
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2006 09:59
Leassa extinguished the fire and mounted Ira. Her hawk flew to her wrist, and she sat, waiting for everyone else to be ready. Leassa regarded Benn with a cold stare, and soon looked away, down at her clothes. She noticed that she had more tears and rips to stitch up, and her normally clean hair was streaked with blood and mud, as were her clothes.

Leassa sighed, and looked round at everyone. They were nearly ready to go, so, keeping her face impassive, she squeezed Ira's sides with her knees and started off at a steady canter down the path.
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2006 12:11
Simrahil also mounted Orin and loked around at everyone. As soon as Leassa began he also started to take Orin down the path that would take them to the rangers. He looked behind him and saw that there were more people in the group now. Whether this would help or hinder them, he did not know, but at the moment he was prepared to let others do the getting-to-know-each-other part whilst he studied all pof the new people and decided if they would help the group.

He watched the birds around the area flying and wished that he could also fly, above the clouds to where ever he wanted to go.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2006 05:57
Nathron rode between Silmrahil and Leassa, he knew that they would feel more comfortable knowing that Amdireth was near and easier to protect.
Nathron was contemplaiting the boy, Benn, he was young, rash, inexperianced. And probably feeling horrible right now. Nathron felt pity for the boy, knowing to some degree what he was going through.
"Benn...ride beside me." he called out to him.
The boy came rather timidly, "Do not fear, I shall not hurt you. I wanted just to talk with you, and make you understand that you need to stop and think always before you act. That is a very important lesson to learn on your quest. It will save your life, or even the life of a friend, one day." Nathron smiled at the boy.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2006 06:33
Benn nodded his head at what Nathron said.
Benn looked back at Gwenneth, Amdireth's horse, who he was now in charge of.
Amdireth of course complained that she could ride her own horse, but she was quickly told she was to ride with Nathron, and she couldn't argue any longer.
"You had better listen to Nathron Benn, he's a pretty smart elf, and he's been around for a long time. He knows what he is talking about." Amdireth said, she smiled, and she was trying to get Benn to smile as well. She wanted to see excitement back in his eyes, like when she told him she knew a Ranger.
"You know, Rangers are not always solemn. You are only human, and you are inexperianced with weapons, I made it and am alive. Please do not be so hard on yourself any more." Amdireth said kindly. "You are too young to have to carry such a weight on your shoulders." Amdireth said. She recalled when she was sent away from home, she was about his age, maybe a little older. Then comign back to her home and finding her mother dead, and her father died during the battle.
Amdireth shook her head, she remembered what Lady Galadriel had told her when they journeyed to Lorien some time ago. "Do not carry the weight of the dead or you will fall." Amdireth had kept that in her heart ever since she left, she would rarely think about their death's being her fault now, because they really weren't.
Then she came back from her thoughts and noticed that Benn was looking at her with a worried face. Amdireth laughed. "Can't you smile Benn?" Amdireth asked. Benn was so surprised at her laughter that a hint of a smile did cross his face.
They rode on in silence for a while after that. Benn couldn't believe that Amdireth wasn't really angry at him for shooting her, almost killing her.
Aravis17
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2006 09:38
Ariate sat in her tree branch, muttering to herself. She did this often, as most sick or dying people couldn't talk back to her. She was a renowned healer of Rivendell, as well as a respected ally to Lothlorien. She was perched in her tree, thinking about why she left...

"Aria! This one is a few seconds from death!"
"Aria! He just died! What should we do with the body?"
"Aria! There's a new child that just came in, where is a free bed?"
"This one was bitten by a spider, where is the herbs?" Aria was getting a headache. The battle was too fierce, women and children were getting hurt, and she couldn't put up with the noise much longer. How could she heal all of these people in such a short amount of time? Of course, she was the best healer for miles, but not even she was that good! Screaming echoed outside the makeshift "hospital," and Aria held her head. Enough with the screaming! Enough of pain. She was leaving this profession, and not ever coming back.

She was startled to reality when she heard a scream and saw a young female fall, an arrow protruding from her chest, and saw the boy run over, panic-stricken. She still had the healing medicines and herbs on her person, and almost climbed down to help. But she remembered her oath, and how if she saw one more person in her care die, she was going to estrange herself for good. She put the sack she had pulled from her robes back in the pocket, and settled back into her branch. But she continued to watch these people. The young woman eventually healed, and held no grievance or hatred toward the boy who shot her. These people interested Aria, and she decided to follow them.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2006 11:31
Nathron glanced around, something felt out of place. He spotted a figure in the trees, they were being followed. He halted Ross, looking directly at the figure. He moved the horse so that if attacked he would be the one hit and not Amdireth.
"Well met, stranger. Why do you conceal yourself in the trees? Come out so we can speak with you as friends." He said, he kept his hands away from his own weapons, and waited.
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2006 10:14
Leassa also had noticed the figure, and her hand was on the hilt of her sword, her eyes narrowed. When she heard Nathron's words, she almost smiled. That was just like Nathron, to speak like that. And she was glad that he had spoken, she might have shouted a threat. Nathron seemed to think that the person was a friend, but all the same she kept her hand ready on her sword. Ira shifted under her, not knowing why they had stopped, and with her free hand Leassa stroked her neck, never taking her suspicious eyes off the person.
Aravis17
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2006 07:15
Aria jumped when the stranger addressed her. He seemed friendly, but the others were wary of her. She understood why, she was stalking them as if she were their enemy, planning the right time to attack.
"I know you are just making sure that I am not an enemy. I am not, so that should suit you. I was only debating whether or not to speak with you. You have a wounded person among you, and I can tell you right now that she will not completely heal without my medicine. I am a healer from Rivendell," she said, and jumped off of her branch, centimeters from his horse's face. The horse backed up a few paces, but Aria rubbed his muzzle, and whispered kind words into his ear. She stepped back to get a better look at this stranger. The horse made a few steps toward her, and she pet its neck. His owner didn't look very happy that she was handling his horse, but she knew that fact that his horse trusted her was enough to make him realize she was their friend.
"My name is Ariaté Sínaril, but you may call me Aria. May I ask your names, or am I to be shunned away like some insect?" she asked, with a hint of sarcasm. Aria wasn't a very patient elf, unless she was dealing with a patient.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2006 08:28
Nathron watched as the healer called Aria jumped down infront of Ross. The red stallion was nervous, he generally hated new people and was tough to deal with. But this woman spoke kind, soothing, words to the horse and Ross seemed to gain some trust in her. Though Nathron could not help but feel annoyed when she handled the horse, introductions were one thing, carring was another.
"My name is Ariaté Sínaril, but you may call me Aria. May I ask your names, or am I to be shunned away like some insect?"

Nathron nodded, "It is a pleasure to meet you, Aria, I am Nathron, my compnaions are: Amdireth, Silrmahil, Leassa, and Benn." He pointed them out in turn. But he kept a close watch on Amdireth, just in case this Aria was not all that she appeared.
"You say you are a healer, but I can think of no reason a healer would hide." it was a question hidden in a statment.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2006 12:44
Amdireth watched the maiden carefully. She saw nothing wrong with her, in fact she could see something in her eyes, like a pain that could not be healed by medicine alone, it would be healed by time.
When Amdireth heard Aria say that she could not heal without the medicine she held Amdireth was surprised. "I am fine friend, I'm actually surprised you have been watching us for so long a time." Amdireth said, now she felt a hint of suspicion rise in her.

"You say you are a healer,but I can think of no reason why a healer would hide." Nathron said.

Nathron was right, and Amdireth could not wait to hear the answer. She looked over at Benn. He seemed calm, he obviously had learned not to jump to conclusions about people anymore.
Then she looked back at Aria, waiting for her reply.
Aravis17
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2007 04:32
"Like I said before, I wasn't sure if I wanted to help you, I was afraid that you would be like everyone else before, criticizing me even though I know what I am doing. I was healing in a battle before I came here, and there were too many patients, and not enough time. They were dying, and there was nothing I could do. There were children supposedly in my care, but I was too busy with others, and they died. I helped whoever I could, and once the battle ended, I left. I was frightened that if I tried to help anyone else, they would die as well, even though it wasn't really my fault. There were too many. I was hiding because I wasn't sure if I could trust you to let me help, and because I didn't know if you would trust me. Those children on the edge of death began to feel as if I was a demon who was sent to ignore their pain, and I still feel guilty about their deaths. And, Amdireth, is it? You may feel fine, and your wound may be healed, but..." Aria walked over to Benn and pulled out an arrow, ignoring his protests.
"That's what I thought," she said, throwing it down. "The arrow is tipped with an unknown poison, unbeknownst to Benn, and to all others who use these. It's odorless, tasteless, and dissolved completely in liquid. It's almost impossible to tell what arrows contain it. I, however, was trained to tell the difference between poisons. You may feel fine, Amdireth, but unless I help you, you will die in a few months. It is a fatal, but slow, poison, and your body won't even know it's in its system until the last minute. So may I help you, or should I just continue wandering, drifting towards whatever fate life has for me?"

[Edited on 1/1/2007 by Aravis17]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2007 05:21
Benn tried to prevent Aria from grabbing his arrows, but she did anyway.
He was shocked to hear they were poisoned and felt even more guilt.
"Poison." Amdireth whispered, she really didn't know what to say.
They had a very large group and they were only heading to the North to see the Rangers.
Amdireth looked at Nathron. She wanted him to make the decsion, Aria could be lying.
"What do you think Nathron?" Amdireth asked, her voice was a whisper.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2007 05:47
Nathron's eyes grew as large as dinner plates when Aria explained the poison, and how it worked. His mouth went dry, could he trust her?
"What do you think Nathron?"

Nathron took a moment, "If what you say is true, then clearly we need your help. You will tell us what we need, and help us mix the antidote, and I shall taste it, if it is poison...well, we shall just have to deal with it. No arguing. We do not know if we can trust you not to attempt to poison Amdireth, so if anything does happen, it won't affect her greatly." His voice brooked no argument, but even his friends could probably detect the slight note of fear in his voice.

[Edited on 1/1/2007 by minstral_of_the_dawn]
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email