Register

<< First1314151617Last >>
Author Topic:
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part XII
on: September 11, 2007 08:40
Happy Tuesday to you all. What were you saying about the brain not working, Swabby? Must be contagious as it is spreading to Ohio. All this talk of the Ranger in the shower, hearing HIS voice...don't think you are alone in feeling a bit frisky, lol!

Thanks to the links to photos, songs and such. Have not checked out new gallery additions yet but so enjoy seeing your creativeness. Feels so much more personal than checking out artwork, etc. from some stranger...somehow the FOF just feels like family and seeing your creative endeavors is not only inspiring but touches my heart.

Hubby called yesterday from work to say they started him on 12 hour days...just like that. He was not supposed to start the long hours until Sept. 24. So have been going through recipes and thinking of some dishes I can prepare and take there. He has a small kitchen but think I'd rather prepare most dishes here since I'm still at home and all my supplies are here. I'm thinking of driving up there a couple nights a week and he will most likely drive home for his day(s) off. He will be working nights soon as well. Thought about staying up there but it is just a room with a kitchenette and home is only 1-1/2 hours away. You all know, I'm loving this rare long stretch of time at home! It will be soon enough and we will be on the road again...looks like California in January.

Our kitchen is getting redone next week or so. It was never finished right after the flood damage. Was waiting until then as hubby would be away working. But I will stay while the workers are here. Now to get busy and pack up all those countless trinkets and kitchen stuff. I'm taking most stuff into the bedrooms and covering the rest. The drywall dust always seems to cover everything. One good way to thoroughly clean the kitchen. :cry:

So much I'd like to respond to more but alas have to get the store and get things ready to take to Michigan. Prayers for those of you grieving for loved ones lost, healing prayers for Arienelle & son, prayers for the teachers and loving wishes to each and every one of you. :heart: :hug:
rtittensor
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2007 09:06
Hi luaithrenn and welcome I am one of the other males on hear I am a bit of a newbie not been hear long they are a really friendly bunch hope you enjoy the very serious and mature discussions.
Roger
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: September 11, 2007 10:23
Well, yesterday was all we expected it to be … uplifting, tragic, loving, emotional, nerve-wracking etc etc … but I’ve witnessed an act of extreme bravery that knocked my socks off.

The weather was perfect, just as it was for my Calar nearly four years ago. Sunny and bright, a blue sky with wisps of cloud and high white aircraft trails. The sunlight flooded the church for the whole service. Couldn’t have asked for more.

Ron was cremated privately in the morning. I had a rehearsal for the Thanksgiving at 10am along with two of Ron and Ann’s grandchildren aged 12 and 14 who each did a solo … flute and violin. The idea being that my presence would make them less nervous. I think that worked. Ann had asked if I would record the service too so I went up at 2:00 with the maestro so that I could commandeer a spot and secretly set up my equipment. It worked well, so there is a lovely memento of all the tributes.

The church was packed. People had come from all over, even farmers from Kent … despite the harvest. I had to sing right after the opening prayer and I managed it though I shook from head to foot … visibly. At one point I thought I’d have to reach out and hold on to the piano. The grandchildren were wonderful. A friend from Ron’s early days gave a long tribute. Then, in between the hymns one daughter read the 23rd Psalm, the two sons gave tales from their childhood on the farm, including the make-shift swimming-pool from which an errant horse had to be winched by the fire-brigade, and the second daughter gave a resume of Ron’s last months and how hard he had tried to get moving again … then came the surprise …

Ann herself stepped forward and addressed the congregation, thanked everyone for their friendship, gave thanks for her 52 years of marriage and in a strong clear voice read the poem “Death Is Nothing At All”. Brave or what!!You can hear me blowing my nose on the recording.

The reception lasted until 6:30 after which Ann insisted I come home with them all and it was good to see her in the bosom of her family, four children, spouses, and seven grandchildren. For me it was a privilege to be invited and to see a real family in action, and to be held in affection by them. I walked home in the warm night air around nine.

So now it’s time to move on and get myself ready for Oxonmoot on Friday. I also need to read back over the posts and do some welcoming and commenting. Maybe my head will be more together in the morning.
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2007 11:08
Hi luaithrenn. Glad you found us eventually. I am sure that although you aren't officially of the age to wander these halls of the FoF, we can squeeze you in.

I'm one of the more mature sisters here, although there is one or two amongst us that are older than I.... in human years at least, my being of dragon blood I think I can claim the age of ancients. I have two offspring, live in Manchester, UK and work for 4 Orcs.

Hope you have a great time at the Oxenmoot, cirdaneth, and meeting atalante. Yesterday must have been a difficult time and Ann certainly did well. I'm glad you got through it ok and Ann of course. :hug:

Hi Mith. :hug:

How many posts is that for me, swabby. 5 I think.

Hope everyone enjoyed the video links.

Tatty bye

Rose xx
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2007 11:44
Let a cry go out across the land from valley floor to lofty peak, that this here day shall ever more be known as "Five-Rose Tuesday"!
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2007 02:20
Wow! Five posts today, Rose! I saw you for a bit online e-a-r-l-y this morning.

5:30 a.m. is early?? Wimps! I've been up for over an hour by that time. Of course, at this time of night I'm pretty much a vegetable.

I am looking at my book bag that is full of tests and quizzes that HAVE to be graded. Makes me feel a bit queasy. Darn, here I go working to d*mn hard again.

Welcome, luaithrenn. I have been lurking about these parts for close to 4 years now. I never grow tired. Feels like home. As for me, I am a teacher of orklings of the 13 year-old variety. 7th grade language arts to be precise. And OMG! I got the most recent crop of teacher aides. These are teachers in training that come and help out a semester in my classroom. Just long enough to see how it's NOT supposed to be done.

Well, one of them is...how shall I say..."interesting". The brainy powers-that-be sent me a theater major. He has no intention of teaching, no interest in language arts, and is...did I mention..."interesting." Looks kind of like a gnome. His opening introduction was, "Hi, my name is ____. Even though I live in Nebraska I'm originally from a big town back east. I'm a theater major, so I don't really know why I'm here. And I'm weird, so if I scare you, I'm sorry."

Okay, imagine that with 13 year olds. It's gonna be a L-O-N-G semester. *smacks self on forehead*

Life is never boring on the PoG.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: September 11, 2007 05:09
Cirdaneth that is the most touching thing I have ever heard. Ann is one courageous woman. What a tribute to Ron. Thank you for sharing and you did a great job singing I am sure. Now go to your Oxonmoot and enjoy life I am sure that is what Ron would want for you.

Scots oh my gosh he does sound interesting(weird). Why would he be there if he is a theater major? Well, good luck and maybe he likes Tolkien.

Hip hip hooray for the five-Rose Tuesday. Rose that was a great clip of Elijah. I really enjoyed it thanks.

Aw, Mith California I was hoping for Missouri where your husband's next job would be but I will see a year from now. Maybe you should buy a motor home to travel in and do you feel like a gypsy sometime? Good luck on the kitchen . You and Scots have something in common but her kitchen is in the finishing stage and you are just getting started.

Swabby you are feeling really good aren't you. Welcome committee and cheerleader. You must be taking vitamins. You are a great uncle and brother-in-law. Bless you.

Welcome luaithrenn :wave: . We are glad to have you no matter what age you are. If you are looking for mature and friendly and kind and interesting people you came to the right place. I am married,the mother of 3 and the grandmother of 6 soon to be 7. I love acting and swimming and The Shire and all things Tolkien especially LOTR book and movies. I am a Parents As Teachers Educator in our school system. I live in Southeast Mo. in the USA.

Neenime I have missed you. So good to read your post. Blessings to you.

Roger I am impressed that you can strip a computer down and rebuild it. I would love to do that just to see my son with his mouth open in amazement.

Dimple I love the smell of fresh herbs and of course they taste better than dried herbs too. I had a nice day so you have a nice night.

Brandy how is your daughter? I am sure we would know by now if you were a grandmother. Blessings to you.

MTMS, yes I did see that you posted that link. I went and looked at our lodging and I just love it. The East Family Dwelling was built in 1817. It is so nice.

Arienelle, I am so sorry you are under the weather. It is so hard to be sick but then to take care of others when you don't feel well is so hard. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Morwin get plenty of rest. Thank you for the link.

It is very nice here tonight. I am getting sleepy. It is nice and cool and my family are either gone or retired for the night and it is just me and my pets. One of my bassets is going blind. I am working with her to help her and she is a house dog which is a good thing because she feels safe inside and the vet said she would be ok as a house dog. I walk with her in the yard and I bring a stick and hit the ground beside her and she follows me. But she has lost her appetite and has lost weight. I think she is grieving over her loss of sight. I will start making her food if I have to because it's not her fault. She was a dog I got from a Basset rescue. So, I will not give up on her as long as there is a chance.
Goodnight.

Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2007 01:15
Why thankee kindly, swabs. *sticks the Five-Rose Tuesday badge on her chest ~ ouch!! Lol I caught a scale there* Actually it was 6 posts yesterday, but hey what's one post between friends.

Hi awelyn. Isn't that just a great vid of elijah. :drool: I want to be a vampire *cry* Did you check out the advert link too. On a more sombre note. I am soooo sorry to hear about your basset hound. Poor thing and how lucky to have a caring mistress. :hug: I'm sure you will make her as comfortable as possible. So sad to see your friends, human or animal, grow old. *sigh*

Woohoo scots :wave: Good to see you scramble out from under the mountain of work that seems to engulf you, pet.

Did I tell you more about the spiffy camera I was buying myself. Well, it practically makes breakfast. Lol!! Only kidding ... yes, I am, honest ... only kidding. Anyway, it is pretty impressive, and fairly easy to use for all the attributes it has. But, and the best part is ..... I can download videos onto it. Whoo Hooo!! Full length movies and of course, I managed to download that Elijah vid, so I have it all the time. Oooooh, what a great toy.

I'll need a good camera for my visit to the US, with Magoleth, next month. Wow, only 3 and a half weeks to go. If you feel the ground rumble, you'll know da Dragon has landed!!! Looool!!

*climbs up to an outcrop of rock and basks in the rather pleasant and unexpected sunshine .... oh, here's cousin Smaug....* Excuse me folks, gotta make some lunch for me and cuz.

Hugs to everyone and warm dragon breath. See y'all later.

:hug: Rosie xxxx
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2007 03:13
It sounds like Ron's memorial service was very special. Thank you for playing such a valuable part in all of it, from his days of happiness and good health, through his illness and until his name was called. You were a good friend, indeed, Cirdaneth. Hopefully there will be healing soon.

I'm sorry to have miss-counted your posts, Rose. Let me amend my previous words and call it "Six-Rose Tuesday"! Have fun with that fancy camera. Oh, if you're coming anywhere near the Ozarks, please holler real loud at me and Awelyn.

I'm sorry to hear about your doggy, Awelyn. I guess you're right and I have been feeling pretty good. Either that or my mischievous streak has taken control.

Now scots, if I was a farmer's wife and had all those cows to milk, chickens to throw corn at and pigs to slop, I'd get up at 4:00 am. too. :love:

Blasted ragweed is messing up everyone's sinuses today. I think that stuff should be outlawed, along with skeeters, ticks, chiggers and gals who don't love sailors.

I can tear apart about anything that has nuts and bolts and put it back together, but those danged mysterious electrons simply escape me, Roger.

Have a great Hump day, y'all! Swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2007 03:33
Not a problem, swabby. I think it was I who misguided you in my earlier post saying it might have been 5. Thanks, though I will gladly take the extra *adjusts the five-rose Tuesday badge to six-Rose Tuesday* Lol!!

I watched Happy Feet at my desk on my camera at lunchtime. I am not sure where the Ozarks are, pet. But I'll holler nevertheless. I don't think we'll have the opportunity for diversions. *sniff* That *would* be fun.

I don't think we have ragweed over here, but I agree anything that makes you scratch, itch or sneeze should be banned.

My son is like Roger. He builds his own computers and never ends up with the screw that you just don't know where it came from. Lol!!

Well, better scarper. My sword is turning blue ….. orcs must be around.

*whispers* Buh bye. :heart:

Rose xxx
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2007 04:26
CIRNADETH:very emotional indeed and what Ann did was well''just well ''out of this world""and courageous.It takes a lot of love to do that.Her family seems very special and so are you to them,so now, my good friend get some rest:heart:

SCOTS;did you ask the weird guy if he ever heard of Tolkien?You never know,weird can go pretty far!

AWELYN:It's heartbreaking when our pets are getting old and sick, just like humans isn't it?I'm sure she will be in good loving care.

LUAITHRENN :Welcome to this funny, mature(oh let me think about that one!) talented bunch of people.Tell us a bit about yourself and we will go on from there.Once again warm welcome!

Take care all
Dimple:heart:
luaithrenn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2007 07:09
Wow, what a welcome! I've been reading all of your posts, and I have to say that this is one of the warmest and most caring on-line forums I've ever encountered. What a great group of folks. I'm so glad that I've found you

Okay, a little bit about me. I'm married, one child--a 20 month old girl. Husband and I waited a loonnggg time before diving into parenthood--but now that we're here, we love it! I can't say that I work for any orcs (not right now, at least) because I'm currently working for myself (lawyer type) but that may be changing in the very near future as I'm in discussions with a firm that's trying to recruit my brilliant mind for their own purposes. (No, they're good people...really!)

Tolkein fan? You bet! My uncle gave me a set of LOTR when I was in fifth grade, at the tender age of ten, and, having already read The Hobbit, I dived right in. I've read the entire set at least once a year every year since (with the exception of a brief three year period when I was married to an Uruk), and routinely delve into Tolkein's other works, always looking for more about the First and Second Age of ME. And, yes, I do love the PJ movies...great interpretation (although I have to admit that it did take me a while to warm up to some of the changes!)

Glad to be getting to know all of you!
rtittensor
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2007 08:59
Hi Rosearialelven My house is a bit like a computer graveyard especially in the loft with bits and pieces of computers all over. My daughter told me I am obsessed with them saying that the only rooms without one is the kitchen and bathroom and of course the padded cell they lock me in at night. So you see I have well my family made enquiries to see if there is any ware I can do rehab to wean me off

Hi Swabby its a matter if there are any bits left over hide them and keep your fingers crossed and a fire extinguisher handy and a pair of running shoes just in case the computer goes into melt down when you turn it on, well that is what I do

Take care one and all Roger
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2007 09:10
Hi Roger and please call me Rose, Rosie or Dracella, my Dragon nom de plume.

My mum's house used to be a bit like that, but with motorbike parts. My dad used to build his own bikes.

I daren't describe what my son's room used to be like, but he lives with his dad now, so I don't have to see it. Lol!!

I'm sure you will soon be a little bit crazy, like all of us FoFers, luaith.

I'm off to watch the England v Russia match.

Byeeee :heart:

Rose xx
rtittensor
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2007 09:49
Hi Rose
I do get moaned at a little bit well a lot about the bits and pieces
Roger
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2007 11:40
Rose, the "Ozarks" are a small mountain range that runs across the top of my state (Arkansas) and the bottom of Awelyn's state (Missouri) It used to be known for it's hillbillies and moonshine stills, but nowadays it's a popular destination for bikers, hikers, nature-lovers, photographers, etc. Many of the small towns have grown by leaps and bounds in recent years and it's a very popular area for retirees. It is located south and to the east a bit from Nebraska. I guess you'll need to holler really loud for us to hear you. Roger and Rose, I still have boxes full of mostly Norton parts out in the garage. My small bedroom is stuffed with my pc, stereo, tv, art and guitars.

It's good to see you back today, Luaithrenn. Although two of my sons were born when I was in my twenties, my third son was born when I was 43. I think I'm a far, far better father in my old age than when I was young, although I sometimes don't have the energy and strength to keep up with a sixteen-year-old. (I'm now 59)
A little more about me---I spent about twenty years in the US Navy (1967 to 198, thus my moniker, Swabby. I didn't read the books until after I saw the first movie, then I was hooked all the way. My hobbies/interests are art, music, writing, cooking and motorcycles, mostly. Oh, I often get very un-serious. You could even say I'm silly.

Dimple, you simply must write longer posts, dear. You are so entertaining and make me laugh.

Arienelle, yoohoo, where are you? I do hope that danged sore throat hasn't gotten worse.

Mt, I heard you won't share your Ranger buns. What's up with that?

I'm cooking a big supper today because my son's girlfriend is here. She likes my cooking and I'm only too glad to oblige. Must get back to the kitchen. Swabby
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2007 02:46

I guess you're right and I have been feeling pretty good. Either that or my mischievous streak has taken control.

You, mischievious, swabby??? At this place of deep intellectual discussions of Tolkien and his word???

I've been feeling a bit frisky myself. Thinking about that tattooed ranger in the steam room without his skivvies sorta heats things up.:evil:

Bet you'll have lots of fun with that new camera, Rose. Travelling is always a good excuse to get something new, especially a camera. Now don't you wish that you had an Ara-baby to take with you on your journey??:love:

What a wonderful caregiver you are, awelyn. You tend to your dear pet and help your "students" and their parents.

Guess you're a caregiver also,swabbyproviding support and care for your brother's family and cooking for friends and family. I surely like having a man in the kitchen. Can you teach a ranger how to cook??

My youngest son who lives in the Netherlands is a computer guy. He built the machine I'm using now. He works for the Army and Nato bases there on computers and other forms of information technology: cameras, satelites, audio equipment etc. That talent of his isn't heredity, as I have none of it.

Welcome luaithrenn! :wave: It's so good to have another friend to sit beside the fire and chat with. Hope you find yourself as comfortable here as I have. Feel free to be yourself and have a little bit of fun...or maybe alot of fun.
I appreciate you long-held fondness for Tolkien and his works. Seems to me that Tolkien's writings are like fine wine, they "improve with age"...or is it just my growing love of his creation??

Must rest, as I had a late night. Surprised elderly uncle at a restaurant for his birthday. Had lots of laughs, good food and drinks. We closed the place down and I didn't get home untill 11:00 . 5:30 am seemed a little earlier this morning when the alarm went off. It's off to dreams of rangers cooking delicious seafood and decadent deserts.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2007 02:56

Now scots, if I was a farmer's wife and had all those cows to milk, chickens to throw corn at and pigs to slop, I'd get up at 4:00 am. too.

I guess that would work if I *was* a farmer's wife. I wasn't..last time I checked at any rate. Darn, then why the heck do I keep getting up so dang blamed early then?? Oh, right. Trying to keep my head above water correcting paper wise. Although I would like to mention that I do not have ONE piece of homework tonight.! :disco: :cheers: (oooh, wine sounds good. got that idea from the latter icon) rungs off to grab a glass of the white stuff...not milk

I haven't asked the young man about Tolkien yet. I had him marking library books in my room; something I've been meaning to do for over a year but haven't had the time to do yet. I did ask him if he had any intention of ever teaching...a resounding NO. hmmmmmmm I then asked him if he chose language arts and he said he did because he liked to read. Oooooo-kay. I will do a little bit more talking with him tomorrow to see if he has his priorities in the right spot Tolkien-wise. He'd better!

I'm going to be heading off to Denver tomorrow right after school. tomorrow. The spousal unit is going to drive me to school then come and pick me up right after school and off we go! It's time for the Denver Gem and Mineral Show. It's a yearly thing for us. The spousal unit is quite the amateur geologist and paleontologist. I keep telling him he needs to go back to school and get his degree in it. He tells me then it would be more like work and less like fun. Can't argue with that logic. If any of you ever want to brave the PoG, come and visit and he'll show you all the 250 million year old dead animals he has laying around the house.

Well, wine calleth as does laundry. Plus I have to pack for tomorrow.

Toodles!
Scots

Oooo! Oooo! Oooo! The counter guys came today to do a template of the counter tops. It looks like they'll be installing them on the 9th of October! Just in time for Rose's, Magoleth's, Brandywine's, and Shireling's visit! Another well-placed YAHOO!! I won't have to be embarrassed by the grody counter tops! Life is good.

[Edited on 13/9/2007 by scots56]
awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 12, 2007 04:11
Scots have a good time and good drive. It sounds like fun. I would like to brave the POG one day and see you and your husband's collection. Hooray your kitchen is almost finished.

Thank you MTMS. I got a catalog in the mail today with some great costumes that would work for Ren Fair and ALEP. would you like the web site link?

Arienelle get better soon. Rest your throat. Try honey and lemon. You need some of Dimple's herbs.

Swabby very good definition of the Ozarks. Great imagery in that definition. Thank you about my dog.

Swabby and Roger and they say women are pack rats.

Luaithrenn, aw 20 months is a great age and I agree with Swabby you are more patient as a older parent. We are so glad to have you. It will be nice when the others come and you get to meet them. Randi for instance has a ranch in Texas. Balrog lives in Canada. You will like them too.

Dimple you bet she will. I got her 4 years ago. The rescue found her on the streets of Kansas City rummaging in trash cans looking for food. Some of her front teeth were ground down. I took her and I love her and feed her and give her a huge fenced in yard. I will watch over her until my labor of love is finished. I also have another basset that she can follow around and she is leash broken. But it is sad. But that is the circle of life as my grandson says.

Rose that was a wonderful video of Elijah. Oh by the way could you breath the other way . It has just started to cool off here. So, please don't heat things up again Have a great day at work . Do you have your dragon armor ready in case of Orc attack?
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: September 12, 2007 04:29
You're going to Denver, scots?? Dang... I'll be leaving at zero dark thirty on Saturday, headed that way, but have a feeling once again we'll be missing each other. Drat...

I so wish we could have another get together as we did a few years back. Folks have come and gone, but we had a blast... It was the year Return of the King came out and we came together in L.A. and watched RoTK at the IMAX at Universal Studios. In lieu of that, how about a weekend orgy of watching each one in the various forms? Theatrical, extended, super duper extended with all the goodies that I have yet to finish up. Hehehehe...
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2007 01:11
Dang is right, Belle! We'll be leaving at zero dark thirty on Saturday to head back to the PoG. Like ships passing in the night.

Gotsta go! Enjoy your weekend, all!
Scots
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2007 04:15
SWABBY: Are you feeling better today?Your receipe with rottini is simply delicious!I didn't realise that I was entertaining I just write what comes out of my mind instinctively!Glad I make you laugh Everyone will enjoy your cooking I'm sure chef

SCOTS:That's right,do a little bit of inspector ''Clousot"" talk and get it out of him!!! I would love to see your hubby's collection, interesting!Have a good and fun week-end in Denver

AWELYN: Two years ago my Boxer of 8years old died.The previous 6months ha was really sick, no appetite, loosing weight(30POUNDSin 2 months)vomiting and so on. The vet. didn't know what it was even with all the tests ha had.So we took good care of him until the end.We barried him near the flower bed where he loved to go.And like all the other dogs that we had, he just wrapped his tail around our heart.We will never forget them:heart:

LUDITHRENN:I'm a 55yesrs old french canandian from Quebec.Married and have a daughter who just move to the university campus I live at the foot of a mountain in nature with a lot of wild animals around.Gardening, cooking,reading,music are my hobbies.I started to have a few ideas for a story and I'll try not to make a fool out of myself.My daughter introduced me to Tolkien about 5years ago and encouraged me to come here.And here I am and loving every minute of it.So hope you will enjoy to be with us as I'm sure we'll enjoy to be with you

HAVE A GOOD DAY, ALL OF YOU!
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2007 04:36
I feel fine, Dimple, and yes, I find you very entertaining. So did you try some variation of my recipe? If you have an aptitude for cooking, and I believe you do, then you know that you can dress that dish up and change it around to suit your personal tastes.

I've only ever had one really good dog. It was a male spitz who I raised from a pup. "Malichai" I called him, and he was an outstanding watchdog and very protective of his humans, even the females who he didn't seem to like very much. (That being his worst fault) He loved me and I loved him. One day a pack of wild dogs came by and killed him. He tried to fight them off, but there were too many. I cried when I buried him.
Funny how we can get so attached to our animals.

Happy Thursday everyone, Swabby
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2007 08:10
SWABBY:yes,I didn't have any italian sausages so I've tried it with chicken.Next time, I'll do it with the sausages.We also cried when we baried each and everyone of our dogsBut today we have a Dogue de Bordeaux(125pounds)and he is funny and sweet,he is 2years old. I'm always saying at each dog that we had that it will be the last one:nobody beleives me!
The weather is wonderful today,blue skye,warm sun so,I'm going for a walk right now with my Bruno.

Take care
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2007 09:04
A beautiful sunny day here also. Seems like Summer was too short here. But September is one of my favorite months. Hi back, Rose. You are welcome to breathe some dragon fire this way as I love it warm.

Went to see hubby in Michigan Tuesday night. Took him a cheeseburger pie, salad, fruit & some other stuff. Dolled myself up a bit and it felt like driving to a date…even felt a few butterflies. Yeah, even after 20 years together, lol! He was so grateful and touched. So was glad I decided to go. Today I will go up again with more food and clean laundry. I may spend the night then (or is the second date too soon?). But seriously, his room is small and somewhat drab…serves the purpose but definitely not for two. But since we are close to home it saves a lot of $$$ from renting a bigger place.

Awelyn, where did you see photos of the rooms? I couldn't find any. I've been going over costume ideas in my head. Good thing we do have a year to plan. Still, I'm so excited already!

Ara-baby fell over twice this week. Guess he's a bit excited as well. Of course, once he meets MT's Ara-baby he may never be the same. He will be wanting me to take him on some adventures for sure.

A warm welcome, Luaithrenn. It is very nice to meet you and have you join FOF.

Well I'm off to get ready for my "date". Hubby just called and I'm putting tonight's dinner on hold & we will go out and grab a bite to eat when I get there. An offer I couldn't refuse for sure.

Take care and have a great day/night. Love and hugs :heart::love: :hug:
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: September 13, 2007 12:18
Right! That's me! I'm ready for the Oxonmoot and shall be catching the bus at 7:45 in the morning. I shall of course give a full report afterwards.

Be good :hug:
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2007 03:43
Hi everyone! So many posts to read, i am trying to keep up but I don't seem to be being very successful.

cirdaneth, have a good time! We'll look forward to your report!

Awelyn, you're doing the right thing with the dog. Animals can amaze you sometimes. It's possible that when the other dog understands the problem it will help too. I had a little dog (Chihuahua/Boston terrier cross if you can imagine that) that lived sixteen years. She gradually lost her eyesight but my daughter's huskie which had bowed down to her for years began to watch over her and steer her around when she went outside. Also, many years ago i had a horse boarded at a stable which had one pasture reserved for animals with problems (mostly ASPCA confiscations). One horse in that field was a white mare who was totally blind. All the assorted ponies and horses sort of herded her around and kept her out of trouble. MY horse would routinely jump over the fence and keep her company as well. The only time she had trouble was when she needed to be taken out of the field. She was so familiar with the fence line it was hard to convince her that the gate was open.

Swabby, I grew up as a Navy Brat but I think you were joining around the same time my dad was leaving. We mostly went up and down the south east coast, Pensacola, Jacksonville, Virginia Beach mostly. When I set off on my own I went to work for the Air Force but my Dad was ok with that. Strangely, after all these years, I still feel a sort of affinity with military, especially Navy people.

Well, this post is getting long. My greetings to everyone!

~ Celebrian
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2007 04:34
Pensacola, celebrian?? That's where my eldest son lives and it's not too far from my town-Fairhope, AL. I just LOVE Pensacola and Perdido beach (and Orange Beach, and Destin and Navarre)
Dadgummit it! The V-man was on David Letterman and I missed seeing him!!!! Think I'm going to crawl into a hole!:cry:
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2007 12:17
You remember in an earlier post of mine, Monday maybe, that Cousin Smaug had dropped by ... weeeell!! he dropped by again yesterday and we got into a game of poker ... dang it, if the old dragon didn't sting me for a pair of mithril gloves and a set of gold wing rings. Sheesh!! *guilty look at swabby for not posting*

How's everyone?

Is the doggie doing ok, awelyn?. Is it you and Mith that are meeting up at the Shaker Village event? Oh, I am sooooo envious.

Poor MT, missing the V-man. :hug:

Talking of the V-man, or his alter-ego Da Ranger!! I had an idea earlier today, I am going to make a mini-standee of Ara-baby for my work desk. I think the Orcs would object to a full size one. Lol!! *And* I might think about making the whole Fellowship.

I had a giggle this morning coming into work. I live in Manchester, right...known as the Rainy City. Well it chucked it down all through last night, sooo the pavements and roads were puddled and very wet. .... the next part is what made me giggle .... window cleaners were working on the buildings - externally remember - and had put warning signs up saying 'Wet Floor - Hazard' ..... *Hello!!* It has been raining!! Lol!!

Have a great time cirdaneth. Hope you enjoy meeting atalante And we wants pics, preciousssss.

Hi Celebrian. Lovely to see you

Sorry about the hot breath, awelyn. Lol!! *turns off the flames* We dragons can blow cool air too. I learned that trick from one of my Ice Dragon relations.

*makes mental note .. so that's cool breath for awelyn and warm air for Mith*

Gotta toddle folks. :hug:

Rose xxx
awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 14, 2007 03:14
Mith, it does not show the actually picture of the room but if you go to the Bilbo's desk on that link that ALEP gave you go click on the venues and go to The Shaker Village and they have some pictures not exactly of our house but on the site map you will see a drawing of our hose. It is the east family dwelling. Mith and MTMS there is a waterfall there too. They do show a example of the rooms on your registration page under accommodations. though.

Thank you Rose for making it cooler. My dog does not have much of an appetite so I am experimenting with different things and giving her a vitamin called Nutri-Cal that vet said she could live on that supplement. She gets cold now so I cover her with her own blanket that my daughter made for her. Oh Rose don't turn green with envy but it is Mith and MTMS and I that are going and I am trying to get other FOF ers to go with us but alack and alas I have not heard a word from them. We have one lady coming from England. I say Come one come all and around your waist tie a sash Come one come all to Bilbo and Frodo's birthday bash. :cheers: :disco: Can you tell I am a wee excited.

Mtms and Celebrian , I love Pensacola too especially Santa Maria Island. I have been there 4 times and we always went to the naval museum when we visited.

Oh thank you for sharing that with me Celebrian that makes me feel so much better about my dog. It is so good to read your post. Welcome back.

cirdaneth have a great time.

Dimple yes our pets do wrap themselves around our hearts. My dog is not just a dog to me she is a member of my family. Your adaption of Swabby recipe sounds yummy too. Little did I know years ago when I came here that I would find friends that would teach me about art,dance,herbs,cooking writing and motorcycle info as well as computer. What a treasure I found the day I stumbled in here. Have a good day Dimple

Swabby that is awful about your dog. You sound like you were a very loving master. It is Friday and I am ready for the weekend.

Scots have a Good time. Belle that is a shame.

Well my four grandchildren are coming for a visit today. I am very happy about that if you could see me you would see my smile.
Yesterday afternoon I got a phone call from my oldest grandson . He is 9 He was talking to me on his moms cell phone. I said is everything ok and he said yes I just wanted to talk to you. I said does mommy know you are talking to me and he said no. I said did you ask her if you could use her cell phone and he said no . I said I think you better go ask and at that point he said I have to go. Well, his mom called back and he was in trouble. I thought it was pretty smart of him to remember my phone number
. Have a great Friday and weekend. Roger where are you and the other new ones? Now don't be strangers.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2007 03:40
MITH:How do you make a cheeseburger pie? You may go and sleep there on your second date but, very importantON'T FORGET THE PILL""lol.It's great to have butterflies after 20 years,it doesn't happen too often.

CIRNADETH: Have fun and a good time,dear

CELEBRIAN:Hi! Nice to see you!

MTMS:No V-MAN?poor thingI feel a great loss for you!

ROSE:Mini standee,alright!! go for it!It will be good company when you're feeling bored at workWatch out for the Orcs though!

It is another sunny day but since I have work to do inside the house I won't see much of it,well there will be other days!

Nice week-end,all
BISOUS,BISOUS,Dimple:heart:
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: September 14, 2007 04:24
Welcome to the club, Luaithrenn! As for me, I'm 48, live in Finland, am married with two teenage daughters, and work as a microbiologist in an environmental lab.

Have a good time at the Oxonmoot, Cirdaneth!

MT, always when you mention "V-man", at first I think of someone I know from another site and who is often called that - until I realize that it's Viggo you're talking about... :blush:

Woo hoo, it's Friday! :disco: And this weekend, I don't have to go anywhere for a change...

Have a nice beginning of the weekend, everybody! :hug:
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2007 06:53
First of all, I forgive your one day of slackatudeness, Rose.

Cheeseburger pie! I'm curious about that particular grastronomic oddity too! Can you serve it with fries and a chocolate malt?

Four grandchildren at once Awelyn? They'd have to pump me up with some kind of happy juice to get me through that! My one little grandaughter runs me ragged. (I love it, though)

I know the "V-man" of which you speak, Morwin.

I was stationed at NAS Cecil Field from 1969 to 1971, Celebrian. I got out of the Navy in October '71 and my wife left me. Then I went broke, got drunk and totaled my car, finaly found a girl that'd go out with me, her father chased us down and threaten to have his cousin (the county sheriff) arrest me, so I re-joined the Navy and spent most of the next sixteen years on the west coast.

MT, since you were deprived of seeing the v-man on Letterman, I will send you a picture of sailor-man in his stead. Is it ok if he ain't nekid?

Have a great weekend y'all. Swabby
arienelle666
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2007 07:36
YOU HOO SWABBY! I'M HERE!
*Crawls out from the Houses of Healing feeling more like old self*

Thanks to all who wished me well, I seem to be on the mend now and so do the boys, both came down with the damn thing in the end.

I have not been able to get the time to use the computer much, which is why I haven't posted. The schools have started up again, and between being 'self assigned home tutor' I have to fit work in as well, so I don't get much chance for 'leisure activities' at present. I must say it took me a while to catch up on all the posts while I have been out of it.

Thanks for the honey and lemon tip, I will have a go at that next time, and I would love to try Dimple's herbs! I am well into natural medicines. I did try a 'gargling' tip from a friend of mine, which was interesting to say the least! worked though!

I am glad things went well at Ron's funeral Cirdaneth, and I hope you have a great time at Oxonmoot. I look forward to reading about it.

Hello Luaithrenn, nice to meet you. I am relatively new here too. I am 41 years old, married with two sons and I am an Alternative therapist from Derbyshire, England. I enjoy art and reading, spirituality and motorbikes, and like you, I have a fascination with the First and Second age. A strange 'pull' for Beleriand, and I carry my copy of Silmarillion everywhere. Enjoy the forum, it is great!:love:

Off to make dinner for the 'Fellowship', so have a good weekend everybody.
Love and hugs to all :hug: :hug: :hug:

Arienelle

Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2007 10:00
Suilad and Mae Govannen, all.

Cirdaneth that sounds like a heartfelt farewell to Ron. How lovely that so many people came to share their love and caring, That's what it's all about. I heard your voice on MySpace and can just imagine how beautiful your singing would have been for Ron and Ann.

Have a great good time at Oxonmoot, Woman. You need it!

Mith that hubby of yours is so lucky to have a devoted partner such as you. I hope you two have lots of fun on your dates ! But try not to do anything that will get you arrested, OK? :blush:

Awelyn Awww - I missed you, too. Sorry about your doggie. It's so hard to see them suffer or just not do well. Swabby's story about his doggie just made me cry! Poor wee thing.

Celebrain. I loved the story about animals helping each other. that made me cry too.

Teary today :cry: and have been more emotional than usual all week. Darn those hormones! I just want to enter menopause and be done with it! Mother Nature has other plans for me!

Scots I hope your student teacher comes down to earth. Remember, no matter how bad he is , the relationship is temporary. And hey, if his attitude is bad, there needs to be some feedback about that to his faculty.

My baby is student teacher this week! Twenty years old and facing a class of grade 7's. He got all dressed up in normal clothes (including an Argyle sweater!) and off he went. So far so good. He'll be fine - he'll charm the students and the staff. He's a bit of a Pippin type.

Off to a Japanese restaurant tonight to celebrate #1 son's 25th birthday. Then a family brunch on Sunday for more of same. Bought him 25 pieces of licorice as a gag gift. We threatened to buy him a lovely suit ! He's a Heavy Metaller - so 25 studded bracelets or something like that would have been better, but not very practical. At least he can eat licorice!

Welcome luaithrinn. Glad to have you join us. we're a bit strange but a fun-loving group. I'll send along a bio later this weekend . Duty calls ........................ Ta-ta! :wave:
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
<< First1314151617Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email