Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
Post Passing Shadows. (see occ)
on: July 11, 2007 04:09
(okay, this story is going to start in Buckland and eventually head out towards Bree, and from there I guess we'll keep going. If you want to join just go to the occ. Thanks!)

Essie Brandybuck sat up in a tree staring out at the lake before her. She liked the water, but would never swim in it, she had once gone boating with friends, and that was all she liked to do on water.

Essie knew something was changing around her. Her cousin, Merry and his friend Pippin, also related to Essie and then Frodo had all disappeared during the night.

Some black figures had been roaming around Buckland, but they disappeared as well.
Essie didn't like this, she didn't like that her cousin was gone either.

As much as she loved Buckland she wanted to leave to find out what was happening. Her mother and father would forbid it, but she felt like she wanted to.

She was the oldest child in her family, therefore most of the chores were set on her, and she had to take care of the youngest while her mother was busy.
She disliked her life, it was too much work.

"I want to be free and travel away. I don't see why hobbits are always so cautious." Essie grumbled. Though in her heart she was scared about leaving home and seeing the wild world.

Of course, she hadn't decided on leaving, she wasn't sure what she wanted to do.
"I want to find Merry and Pippin and Frodo, but what would my mother do if I went missing?" Essie wondered.

She curled a strand of brown curly hair around her finger.
Her hazel eyes watched as the sun began setting.
She sighed. "I want to find him." She murmured.

She wondered if she could even escape. She would maybe go to Bree. She had heard of that place, it was friendly to hobbits. But how in the world would she get there?
Essie sighed.

Then she heard her mother calling her. She climbed down, once she reached the bottom she smoothed her green skirt and dusted the dirt off her white top and black bodice.

Then she ran down to her house. She nearly tripped, but she caught herself and continued running.
When she came into the house her mother shook her head.

"What were you doing out there? You had best stay around the house to help me tomorrow." Her mother said.
Essie bowed her head. She walked in and went to her room which she shared with three other sisters.

Thankfully they were all asleep, except one. Myla opened her brown eyes and smiled at her older sister.
"Essie, what did you do today?" Myla asked with excitement.
She knew her sister always had fun stories to tell.

Essie smirked, but shook her head. "Not tonight Myla. I'm too tired, and I have some thinking to do." Essie whispered.

Myla frowned. "What are you thinking about?" She asked.
Essie shrugged. "Nothing important. Go to sleep." Essie ordered.

Myla snorted and turned over in her bed. When Essie got in bed she stared at the ceiling. She needed to devise a plan to leave Buckland without anyone knowing. She had to.

(okay, theres the start)
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Passing Shadows. (see occ)
on: July 11, 2007 04:50
It was deep in the woods of the shire that many strange and magical folks were said to wander through. Many times of late had elves, magical and fair folk they were, wandered through these forests, before turning west towards the Grey Havens, and from there the white ships and far green lands unseen as of yet by mortal eyes.

His footsteps made narry a whisper as he walked steadily through the leaf covered floor. His dark hair blew softly int he light breeze, seeming as whisps, and mists. His eyes scanned the trees slowly, he had all the time in the world. And to himself he sang a song:

"Silver pools do gather,
Where trickling rivers travel,
Between the pebbles on the forest floor,
And quiet basins fill with water,
Sparkling in the moon-lit night,
That silvers trees,
With pale moon-beams,
That turn the forest alive.

We walk these paths,
Forever lasting,
Passing through time and moment,
And though a shadow is ever looming,
Just above the hearts,
Still we sing out,
Our voices ringing,
To send the darkness back,
And win a time for mortal kind,
And from there to home,
We fair folk will walk,
to havens fair, and upon a ship,
Laden with white sails,
Home to fair Valinor,
Ai! Elbereth Gilthoniel,
Take in your children fair,
Await us upon the shores,
Of our fair home,
Valinor."

The elf's name of course was Raven, no elvish name for him had been given, for as a youth he had been orphaned. But the songs sung in Rivendell, his home, he had heard many times and learned. Near at hand amongst the leaves, a small bird fluttered in and out. His name was Tuillin, Swallow, he was called. And he was Raven's closest companion.
Marnalossiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2007 06:27
Zuleika had taken her leave of Imladris shortly before. She now wandered, unsure exactly of where she should be headed. Noises passed her ears as she trekked, and she became wary of the risk of being attacked.
Zuleika was 6 feet, and had shocking green eyes. Her dress was knee length, and a corset held it to her waist. She had brown hair that fell a great length down her back, and she had skin that was almost white. She held a long, silver knife in her hand, which had an elegant black hilt with engravings set into it, which could no longer be recognised as any alphabet. She looked up, where the sky was golden, and wondered whether perhaps her efforts were in vain. No matter how hard she tried, it was unlikely she would ever be able to pick up the pieces of her past. She had been left alone for so long that it no longer felt sad or even lonely. No, now it felt somewhat peaceful and calming, although her heart ached for something she wanted back..her joy. her joy and the smles of those who had made it. her joy and her family. Her joy..and the love she wanted back. She put the knife away, and carried on, forcing herself to think about where she was going instead.

((Sorry this isn't very long, I've not had the chance to really think up an opening yet!))
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2007 06:46
Essie laid in bed, she couldn't sleep. Then her ears twitched when she heard a faint whisper of a song. She sat up and looked around her room. It was completely dark. Everyone was asleep.

Then an idea came into Essie's mind. She smiled slyly. She could leave easily in the dark while everyone was alright.
Essie stood up silently and grabbed the clothes she had worn during the day and slipped out of her room.

She grabbed her pack and silently threw some food into the bag and then put a warm pair of clothes in the bag, she was already dressed in her green skirt while top and black bodice.

She put her hair into a braid and slung her pack over her shoulder. Then she grabbed her blue cloak and made her way to the door.

She quietly opened the door, it creaked slightly, she cringed, but no one came. Then she took one step and she heard someone behind her.

"Essie? Where are you going?" Myla asked.
Essie cringed and spun around. Her hazel eyes were wide with fear, if her parents heard about this they would be after her in a moment.

Essie dropped her bag and knelt beside her sister.
"Myla, listen to me. I have to go somewhere because Merry and Pippin need some help." Essie whispered.

Myla cocked her head. "Why? Can I go too?" She asked.
Essie shook her head. "No Myla, you're too little. But you have to keep this a secret Myla. If mom and dad find out I'll get in trouble, and you wouldn't want that to happen." Essie whispered.

Myla shook her head. "Okay then, now you go back to bed." Essie said as she brushed a strand of curly hair from Myla's face.
Myla nodded and slipped back into her room.

Essie let out a sigh and went back to the door and grabbed her bag, then she made her way out and closed the door behind.

Then she looked out at the dark night. She took a deep breath and smiled. She was free to do what she wanted now. She would find Merry and Pippin and Frodo without any problems now.

Then she ran down towards a forest she had gone in many times before, but never alone. She knew this place fairly well, but she had never been in the forest at night.

Essie's eyes were wide and she kept an eye out for any danger.
Then she gasped as she heard the song clearer now.
She wondered if it was some sort of ghost singing, but she wasn't even sure if ghosts sang.

Then she remembered something Merry had told her.
Elves were traveling through the lands now. Heading for the West.
Essie became excited and nervous that she might meet with an elf.

Then she thought she saw something and she ran behind a thicket of bushes, her eyes were wide and she watched the forest. She breathed quickly, she was nervous, what if the elf didn't like her.

She knew elves had good vision, but they probably couldn't see her if she remained hidden.
Then she heard a tear as she moved slightly, her sleeve tore.
Essie sighed, feeling exasperated. Her clothes wouldn't last long if she had to keep hiding.

Then she saw a figure, her heart raced.
"Please don't look this way, please don't look this way." Essie whispered, her eyes were now shut as if she was praying the elf wouldn't find her.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2007 08:13
Raven continued to sing quietly to himself as he walked. His outfit was of fine elven silks, a smoke-grey tunic, finely embroidered with pale grey strands. His breaches were of a dark grey also, and his boots were high up to his knees. His cape was a dark blue with grey and gold embroidery, and it flowed out just behind him, not even touching his heels.

Raven was young still, and so had no intention of heading to the West, this world still held so many wonders, so many places he had to see and explore. The Shire was one that he had found pleasant, he would often watch the small shirelings as they went about their chores and tasks. Watching over them with a youthful curiosity.

So when he heard the snapping of the twig he did not panic, for he sensed no evil about him. Raven was aware of the evil that had been slowly spreading over the lands, touching even this little corner of Middle Earth. It troubled him greatly.

Raven stopped in his tracks, he could swear he heard whispering near at hand. He looked carefully about the bushes and the foliage and eventually with the aide of Tuillin his gaze sighted upon the half concealed figure of a young hobbit lass.

Raven smiled, extending his arms peacefully, "Mae Govannen, well met little deer. Come out of those bushses, you need not be afraid of me." He said with a gentle, warm smile.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2007 08:42
(looks great Marnalossiel)

Essie felt herself trembling, but she wasn't sure why. She stood slowly and stepped out of the bushes. She pushed back her braid and looked up with wide hazel eyes. She wasn't sure why she was nervous, he seemed like a nice elf.

"Um...my name is,uh, Essie Brandybuck." Essie said softly.
She stood quietly, waiting for him to reply, she liked the sound of his voice, it was kind and gentle.

She swallowed noticeably and then decided she was being silly. A kind elf stood before her. She didn't need to be afraid.

"I'm trying to find my cousin, Meriadoc Brandybuck. I'm rather worried about him. Have you seen him?" Essie asked.
She kicked a stone with her toe and then looked up, feeling shy again.

Then she heard another sound. She jumped and she clutched her skirt. Her eyes were wide again and she ran to Raven's side.

"Did you hear that?" She whispered, then she realized how stupid the question was. Of course he could hear the sound.
"What was it?" She asked again, feeling scared.

(this is where you can come in Marnalossiel)
Marnalossiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2007 09:40
Zuleika could hear muffled voices. She increased her walking pace, wondering if they were things to fear or not.
She ran until she saw an opening ahead. She pulled back the plants, and saw a young hobbit and an elf.
"What was it?" She asked again, feeling scared.

"I am nothing to fear, little one." Zuleika came down to the hobbit's height. "My name is Zuleika, I am an elf of Rivendell. Who are you?" she tried to smile kindly, but realised it may look otherwise. She stood up, and looked the elf in the eye.
"Suilad, sire." she nodded politely, forcing her eyes away from his. "May I ask what the two of you are doing here?"
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2007 10:30
Raven looked down at the young hobbit with a warm, curious, smile.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Essie Brandybuck. Unfortunetly I have not seen your cousin, but I believe that he has been sighted with several other companions. Four Hobbits, like yourself, were seen passing through here a while back."

He heard the sound nearby, his hand went to the knife at his belt but did not draw the weapon for fear of frightening the Hobbit. But his hand lowered when he saw that it was another elf. From Rivendell no less. As to why he hadn't seen her before he could not guess.

He touched his hand lightly over his heart in greeting to her.

"I was passing through, under the glades when I met up with my young friend here. I am called Raven, I go by no other name." Raven smiled broadly. There was a tense feeling in the air, and he wished to diffuse it as best that he could.

He turned back to Essie, "What brings you to search for your cousin?" He asked.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2007 02:34
Essie had been listening to the two elves speaking when suddenly Raven spoke to her again.
"Well, I suppose...well, I want an adventure. Merry and Pippin always told me stories of adventures and the like. Can't I have an adventure too? They're off with their friends leaving me behind and I rather think it unfair." Essie said, though she didn't know what a burden they beared.

Essie wasn't sure what to do now. She had two elves with her, would they help her? Surely they would at least help her reach Bree.

"My main course is Bree now. Will you help me get there? I should run into Merry there." Essie asked. She looked up earnestly at the elves, she hoped they would. After all, the only way she could protect herself was by running and hiding. She had no weapons, but she knew they did.

"I don't have all day. I need to get far away from home before dawn of my mom and dad will be after me." Essie said, she began tapping her foot.

(I'll be bringing in a human character when they get to Bree.)
elendil2
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2007 06:01
Lilac ran through the woods near Buckland, her hair streaming out behind her. Oh, how she loved to run at night! As she ran, she heard a murmuring sound, like people talking.

She slowed down to a walk, and parted the bushes in front of her. There were two elves, a female with paper white skin, and a male with black hair. And a hobbit! The hobbit, a woman, was talking to the elves, back facing her. Lilac boldly stepped forward and said enthusiastically, "Hi! My name's Lilac! what's yours?"

[Edited on 12/7/2007 by elendil2]
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: July 11, 2007 06:57
I don't mean to ask an obvious question but wouldn't Essie Brandybuck (Merry's cousin) and Lilac Brandybuck (also Merry's cousin) KNOW each other??
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2007 03:12
Raven laughed aloud at Essie's impatient question. His voice rang clear like the song birds in the trees, and his eyes glittered with mirth as he turned to look at Essie.

"Fear not, lady Essie, I can not speak for the lady here, he motioned to Zuleika, "But I shall certainly be of as much service as I can." He smiled warmly. "I can take you to Bree, and to Rivendell if that is where your path shall take you, it is little trouble." Raven would enjoy helping the young hobbit-lass.

He was a little surprised when another hobbit appeared out of the bushes and introduced herself. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Lilac, I am Raven." he bowed low. "Indeed, this seems to be a fine night for meeting." He laughed, to Zuleika his youth would be quite apparent, but to the hobbits he was considered far older then they could fathome. Raven was not so old.

Tuillin fluttered nearby, whistling a tune, and Raven smiled at his friend, as the little bird lighted upon his shoulder.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2007 04:24
(could you edit your post elendil? thanks, as Bereth said they need to know each other, Essie and Lilac)

Essie blushed when Raven called her lady Essie.
"Well, good, I'm glad. Um, Zuleika, will you come too?" Essie asked, she felt a little more nervous around the elf lady.

Then Essie gasped when she saw Lilac. "Lilac, what in the Shire are you doing? You should not be out like this." Essie scolded, then she realized that she was also disobeying her parents.

"Well, I think I have wasted too much time already. My parents are going to find me sooner or later. Can we start going?" Essie asked.

Then she looked around, which way was toward Bree? She had never been there before.
"Well, let's just go to Bree for now. We can decide what to do once I find Merry." Essie decided.

Then she began walked ahead, but stopped. "You had better lead me along, I'm not sure where to go." Essie said as she looked back at Raven.
elendil2
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2007 04:45
Lilac turned to the other hobbit. She saw a quite familiar face.

Then Essie gasped when she saw Lilac. "Lilac, what in the Shire are you doing? You should not be out like this." Essie scolded, then she realized that she was also disobeying her parents.

"What are you doing here?" asked Lilac."Well, I guess you get to know. I'm going to find Merry." Essie flatly stated. "Do you have provisions?" queried Lilac. "Well, yes," Essie blustered. "That's good, 'cause I don't feel like sharing mine," Lilac said. "You're coming?" asked Essie. "Of course," said Lilac with a hint of a smile, "Someone has to look after you. I am your elder by eight years you know." Lilac smiled.

[Edited on 12/7/2007 by elendil2]
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2007 08:05
Raven grinned, "You are on the right track, now all that has to be done is to follow it." He said and moved up alongside the hobbits.

"Will you come?" He asked Zuleika as he walked on ahead with the hobbits.

Raven sent Tuillin flying on up ahead, and he checked his pace so that he walked beside the hobbits, leading them towards Bree. And as he walked he sung many a tune, both new and old.
Marnalossiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2007 08:50
Zuleika had been unsure of the party, but upon Raven's offer she couldn't resist.
"Of course I shall join you."
She smiled eagerly upon the hobbits. They were so small. She had not seen the little folk this close before, but was honoured to be so. She looked at Raven in admiration. She felt a jolt in her stomach, but assumed it was her hunger. She marched on, her smile continuous.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2007 10:04
Raven smiled even more cheerfully if that were possible.

"That makes for good hearing! Come, you shall walk beside me. And such a merry party of companions there will never be seen walking under these trees again." Raven did his best to keep all in good spirits, he could not stand to see people suffer sorrow and despair.

The young elf would do all in his power to make sure that his new companions were well protected. Tuillin, swooped and soared over their heads, the little swallow sung a merry song. Raven returned the song in the tongue of the birds, which he had learned in his youth.

"Happy are the birds in spring!"
"With nests to guard and with friends to sing!"
"With the trees in green!"
"And all their children on the wing!"

Thus he and Tuillin sung back and forth cheerfully.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2007 12:38
Essie wasn't sure she liked having her older cousin along, this was her own adventure after all, but she decided to go along with it.

She began skipping along as Raven sung and Tullin.
"I like your songs Raven. They're very nice." Essie said with a smile.

Then she turned and smiled at Zuleika. "What are you doing in the Shire? Were you planning on leaving? I hear some elves come this way to go to an elven city." Essie said.

Suddenly she froze. She heard a sound that made her shiver.
There was a loud far off scream, followed by two others.
Essie swallowed and looked around.

"What was that?" She whispered. She knew what ever it was it was evil.
"They seem far away, they won't come this way, will they?" Essie asked.

Then suddenly she felt sick to her stomach. "Are they after my cousin? And Pippin and Frodo and Sam?" Essie asked.
Then she took off at a run, she did not want to run into the screaming creatures but she wanted to rescue her cousin and friends.

What on earth are you doing Essie Brandybuck? Running into some woods like this? The elves will scold you for it. Essie thought, but for some reason her feet wouldn't stop, she wanted to rescue Merry.
elendil2
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2007 02:56
Essie took off, heading in the direction of the trees. "Essie!" she screamed. Lilac ran in the direction of Essie. Her feet pounded on the turf, breaking twigs and brittle leaves. As she sprinted, a twig caught her on the face, drawing blood. She didn't notice.

Essie was a fleeting figure ahead of her. As hard as she ran, she could not catch up with her. She was vaguely aware of the two elves passing her. Suddenly she stopped. Essie and the elves were laying down beneath a stone wall. Over the wall, a figure in black, mounted on a black horse, stood. The figure was extremely frightening.

She threw herself next to them. "What is that thing?" "A Nazgul," answered Raven. The name inexplicably filled Lilac with fear. "A what?" "Nazgul. They are wraiths, twisted into service." "By whom?" asked Lilac. "Sauron."
Marnalossiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2007 08:21
Zuleika listened to Essie.
"Ai, I do not leave yet, little one." Zuleika smiled. "I have things I must straighten out before I may go. People say my family leaves soon, I need to find them"

Zuleika drew her knife at the noise that suddenly arrived. She listened again.
"Nasgul" she whispered. She turned and ran as far as she could, and leapt behind a wall. She closed her eyes and waited for the Nasgul to leave.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2007 03:38
Essie shivered in fear as the horse with the dark rider rushed by. One stopped for a mere moment, sniffed the air, then continued along.

"They are after Merry, aren't they?" Essie whispered.
Once the sense of evil had gone they stood up, Essie felt her heart beating hard.

What have you gotten yourself into Essie? Essie thought.
Now she realized that she was walking into a wide world of danger, and there were evil creatures out there that could kill you.

"Raven, what if we run into one of those? Will we all die?" Essie asked nervously.
She really wanted to hurry along to Bree now. She didn't want to be outside at night anymore.

But when she glanced up at the sky she saw it was grey, it was almost dawn.
"Come on, we need to keep going." Essie said as she trudged ahead.

She was questioning herself now. Should she really go? This was dangerous. She had seen her first evil creature and it was in the Shire! That was even more frightening.

"Raven, is there no where safe anymore?" Essie asked sadly.
elendil2
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2007 03:57
Lilac felt extremely relived when the Nazgul left. She sat up, sore after her run. She rubbed the cut on her temple. "By the by, why were those 'Nazgul' things in the shire? We haven't done anything!"

[Edited on 13/7/2007 by elendil2]
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2007 06:18
OOC: elendil2 could you please not use Raven unless asked. Raven has no knowledge of the Nazgul. So please ask me first. I'll make it so he did know so you won't have to change it. Thanks.

IC: Raven could only smile at the hobbits, a shadow suddenly seemed to draw near. Tuillin chirped once "Danger" And vanished amongst the trees. Raven took this as a sign and hid in the undergrowth, soon joined by their hobbit companions and Zuleika.

"What is that thing?" "A Nazgul," answered Raven. The name inexplicably filled Lilac with fear. "A what?" "Nazgul. They are wraiths, twisted into service." "By whom?" asked Lilac. "Sauron."

Raven quietly hid his fear, his face calm and composed. But his hand was on his knife, and that trembled slightly. When the Nazgul had passed he rose to his feet and stood in silence. Listening to the slow return of the forest voices.

"They are after Merry, aren't they?"

"No...no they are ring wraiths. They search for the one ring...and that is their only purpose. Unless your cousin holds the one ring he should be in no danger...alas that it should have been found. If we get in their way our lives will be threatened, we shall stay off the roads. It shall be safer."

He fell silent as they walked. For one so young as he, Raven had little experiance with evil. Though it had grown greatly in recent years.

"Raven, is there no where safe anymore?" Essie asked sadly.

Raven put his hand on the shoulder of the hobbit-lass. "We will be safe in Rivendell, and in all elf havens. But few other places can I think of that are protected. Come, do not let these dark thoughts burden your mind, we will be safe enough if we look out for one another."

Marnalossiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2007 06:43
Zuleika pulled herself up, her face pained to see the hobbits so unhappy. They seemed not to know why the Nasgul were roaming. Raven appeared to know some, but she suddenly felt very wise.
"We will be safe in Rivendell, and in all elf havens. But few other places can I think of that are protected. Come, do not let these dark thoughts burden your mind, we will be safe enough if we look out for one another."

Zuleika sighed. It was a sigh of both relief and annoyance. Of course she wanted to go home, but at the same time, she had backtracked on what she had already done. She had left Rivendell to go far away, and now she had to return. It was, however, only a stop, and that relieved her slightly.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2007 09:02
Essie nodded and managed a smile when Raven spoke.
They began on their way again, going through the forest instead of on the path.

Essie made sure to be quiet, very quiet. Her feet padded almost soundlessly through the woods.
She couldn't wait to get to Bree, then she would find her cousin and they could all go to Rivendell together, but she didn't know her plans would be altered.

When the night had passed and the sun was now rising into the sky they stopped to eat quickly.
Essie sighed when she looked at her now torn and dirty dress.
It didn't last as long as she had hoped.

She would be a sight when they reached Bree.
"Do you know how far Bree is from here Raven?" Essie asked.
Then she looked at Zuleika. "And I'm a might interested about you, Zuleika. If you live in Rivendell why did you leave? Raven said it was safe. Shouldn't you want to stay in a safe place?" Essie asked.
Marnalossiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2007 10:52
"Aye, you should stay in a safe place, young Essie. But I have stayed there in safety too long. I need to get out and find my family. My mother has sailed away, and my father is dead, but my sister is still here, and she has tried to escape me and leave. I have to talk to her."
Zuleika looked down at herself. Her clothes were quite loose, but she'd been wearing her sister's leftover clothes. She had none left since Idrial left.
"What of yourself, Essie? Why have you fled your home?"
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2007 12:33
"Bree is not to far a distance, only a day or so away if we make haste." He listened carefully to Zuleika's story, looking at her with kind eyes.

"I am sorry for your loss." He said sincerely, Raven had not known his parents, nor did he know their story. He had grown up in Rivendell alone, a silent, un-noticed, child. From his adventures he had met Radagast the Brown, and from him he had learned the language of the birds. Which is why he was able to make friends with Tuillin.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2007 01:09
Essie listened quietly. "Well, I left because...well I want my own adventure and I want to find Merry, but I think some of it is because I'm the oldest in my huge family and I'm always having to take care of my siblings. It gets so tiring and I barely get time to myself. I wanted to run away I guess." Essie said, she sounded a little ashamed.

She was glad to know Bree was close. She continued to walk on silence thinking about her companions and wondering if anyone else would join their odd group.
elendil2
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2007 02:26
As Lilac listened to Essie and the elves talking, she wondered, What am I doing here? I have no known ties to the Shire, other than being a hobbit... Right? She searched her memories, and found one link to her past, one that she had not been able to find before now...

"Lilac! Where are you?" cried a voice that she instinctively knew as her mother's. "Coming," her voice replied. Lilac walked down the hill where she had been running. She walked past the stone wall that marked the edge of the fields, swinging her arms. She broke into a jog. The distance between her and the house rapidly dwindled. She went into the backyard and saw her mother, gardening. "What do you want me to-"

Lilac was jolted out of her reverie by a shrill scream. "Nazgul!" she yelled.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2007 10:15
Raven heard the scream, it hurt his ears, made him cringe. Why had they travelled so far intot he country? This he could not answer. But he was determined then and there that he would get them away from this small group.

Raven spotted the foul creature amidst the trees. Drawing his long knife he raised it high, and shouted: "Elbereth Gilthoniel!!!"

He starred the Nazgul down, such furry and anger were in his eyes that he scarcely knew himself. "Get back to wence you came from, devil of Sauron!" His voice, once fair and merry, was as cold, hard, untempered steel. Raven stood there before the hidden band, protecting them with all of his will.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2007 05:50
Essie gasped when she saw Raven standing up to the Nine.
"No Raven!" She gasped. Then she saw one of the Nazgul move towards him on his huge black horse.

Essie grabbed Raven's arm. "We have to run." She cried.
She could not tell if he would follow but she ran into the bushes and began running away from the Nazgul.

She was scared and this unknown shadow was following them.
She turned her head to see if the others were coming but she could not see them.

Then her foot hit a root and she fell forward. Then she looked up and saw a horse before her with a black robed rider.
It dismounted it's horse and walked over to her with his blade in hand.

Essie shrieked. She jumped to her feet and ran farther away.
Eventually she stopped and hid under the roots of a huge tree.
Not far from where she sat she saw a sack that seemed to be full of something.

Essie reached for it, since she couldn't hear the rider following, and she took it into her arms.
The sack was full of mushrooms. Essie smiled in spite of the danger of being alone with riders moving about.

"Well, this will certainly be good for our adventure." Essie whispered. She took one mushroom out and began nibbling on it. She hoped she would find her friends again, and she hoped Raven wouldn't be killed by the Ringwraith.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2007 08:15
Raven stood firm as the nazgul approached, he felt Essie pulling at him, and he heard her plea for him to run. But Raven was determined to see this through. He stood firm on that ground.

The Nazgul had drawn his sword, and Raven knew that it was suicide to keep standing there, but now it was to late, he could not flee if he wished to. The Nazgul attacked, Raven blocked the sword with his knife. But he, not being a very experienced swords man yet, didn't notice the morgul blade in his opponent's other hand.

A searing pain errupted in his stomach. Then a growing numbness. All breath blew from Raven's body as the knife peirced his flesh. The blade withdrew, and Raven grasped at the wound. Falling to his knees.

He held up his hand and marvelled at the blood there on his fingers. Was it really his blood? Was this just a nightmare? Was he really going to die? No. If nothing else, he could not die. He had made a promise to Essie, and he would keep that.

Raven groaned, staggering to his feet, the Nazgul had left, gone somewhere, but where that was Raven did not know. The pain in his stomach was horrid, and he felt numb and chill all over.

None the less, Raven went in search for Essie and the others, where were they? he wondered.

"Essie?" He called out for her. The Nazgul seemed to have gone.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2007 09:58
Essie dropped the sack when she heard a familiar voice. It was Raven.
She jumped to her feet and slipped out of hiding.
"Raven! I'm here, Raven!" She shouted, but she wasn't quite sure where she was herself.

When she heard Raven's voice she could hear pain. She shivered, had the Nazgul harmed him?
Essie began to feel frantic, Raven was her new friend.

"Raven! I'll come and help you!" Essie shouted.
She ran in one direction, then trotted back. That was the wrong way.
She ran down another direction. Wrong way again.
Essie shivered. Raven might be dying.

"Wait...maybe Lilac and Zuleika will find him first." Essie hoped.
None the less she found another path and walked down it.

It took Essie a long time but she saw Raven ahead, blood covered his hands and most of his tunic.
Essie ran over.
"Raven! Lay down...where is Zuleika?" Essie asked.

She wasn't sure how to deal with this sort of thing.
She made sure Raven laid down, then she started calling for Zuleika.

"I can't do this...I don't know what to do. I'm just a hobbit." Essie mumbled. She felt very scared for her friend.
All she had wanted to was to go the Bree and now she might lose Raven.

"Zuleika! Come quickly! Raven's badly hurt!" Essie shouted again.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2007 11:05
Raven smiled when he saw that Essie was unhurt, the pain must have shown through on his face for Essie grew into a panic.

"Raven! Lay down...where is Zuleika?"

Raven forced a laugh, "Relax, little one, I shall be fine. I know not where Zuleika is...but she pribably isn't far." Raven sat down to ease some of Essie's worries.

He gently took one hand and placed it on her shoulder, "Shh...the Nazgul might still be about. I will be fine, I just need some rest and some water is all."

Truth to tell Raven wasn't fine. His head ached and felt strange, his sight was dimmed so that shadows seemed to infest everything near at hand. His stomach hurt greatly, he had heard of poisons being used on Morgul blades to turn the enemy into another wraith. This much Raven feared, and he would sooner kill himself then let that happen to him.

He wondered where Tuillin had gotten to, the little bird must be all afright. He looked at Essie, "Essie, go find Tuillin for me, he will answer if you call. I worry greatly for him, and I am sure he for me. Please do this if you can." Raven asked sincerely.

He had to stop the flow of blood, and he had to find out how infected his wound would become. It was strange for him to think in such terms. Raven had only a few times been wounded, and never more as to warrent but a few stitches. No wound he had recieved had ever been life-threatening. This one might turn out to be.

Raven shut his eyes against the pain, focusing all of his might on staying concious.
elendil2
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2007 12:26
When the nine emerged from the trees, Lilac ran, and a Nazgul pursued her.
She ran like mad, tearing through the woods like a madman. Suddenly a drop appeared in front of her. She tried to stop, but tripped and fell off the edge. The Nazgul barely avoided plunging off the brink. Suddenly, Lilac landed on something soft, but lost consciousness.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email