<< First1213141516Last >>
Author Topic:
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part XIII
on: December 05, 2007 12:44
Congratulations Mayhri! Well done.

Sorry I'm a bit scarce at the moment folks! Got lots on. I want to explain about the TV licensing thingy and tell you what else I've been up to. ... and I want to congratulate, sympathise, etc etc with all of you, but I've hardly a minute at the the computer ...

Am now up to seven minutes on each of the cardio machines at the gym ... non-stop ... treadmill, bike, rower, but still not breaking a sweat. I will decrease the time next week but increase the resistance and see what happens. I've put on four pounds in weight since I started, but have dropped an inch from my waist ... so I'm obviously losing some fat and gaining some muscle. There should come a point where I start to burn the fat more efficiently but it's probably weeks away yet.

Must go now. Very sleepy. Heaps to do. Maybe I'll have more energy when I get fitter.

Nighty-night :hug:
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: December 05, 2007 05:05
Well done Mayrhi good for you. :disco: Now my memory fails me where do you live again?

Get some rest cirdaneth, you are doing great at the gym. What Christmas things go on in your village?

Dimple, I have studied my lines over and over and it won't happen again. I have three shows this weekend and we will be finished.

Belle so good to read your posts. Oh your poor horse. 2 hours that is some job. I hope you did get more rain but a little at a time as needed. Take care.:heart:

Swabby I think it is great that you cook. Yes, I know of some cultures where the King of the house expects everything from his Queen but it is not very fair. I think there should be sharing. If my husband cooks I do the dishes. We take turns letting our dogs out and doing laundry. You are a fair man and your wife must feel lucky to have you. Not to mention the good example you are showing your son.
arienelle666
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2007 11:24
WOOOOOSH!

Yep, that was just me flying by with sword in hand!
Not much to report here today, except my youngest lost his temper and punched a wall in frustration yesterday, so to hospital we went. Nothing broken, but very bruised knuckles! I felt sorry for the wall actually, he packs a mean punch! So I have him at home again - oh the joys of motherhood!

We have seen a couple of 4x4's that are reasonably affordable which we will go and view when the Ringwraith finishes his shifts. I do hope the weather clears up a bit as it is raining here and very dull (not drawing weather Swabby!). There is nothing worse than crawling around under cars in the wet! Yuk!

Good luck Awelyn! That's a lot of acting to be doing in one weekend, I will be thinking of you.

Keep up the good work in the gym Cirdaneth, you are doing brilliantly! I will be joining my local gym with a friend after Christmas, as I think it is high time I had something for myself, as I don't seem to have left the house for two years! It will do me good and get some lard off my carcass!

Looking forward to Nottingham Calle:love:

Have a great day everyone.
Love and hugs as always, :hug:
Arienelle
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: December 06, 2007 03:11
It's our Independence Day, and that means a day off. I slept late (got up at 8 just to go and hoist the flag, and then crawled back to bed for a couple of hours), and am taking it easy today, sitting at the computer, reading, and watching the TV. Tomorrow will probably be a quiet day at work, because many people have taken the Friday off. I'm saving my holidays for the Christmastime and next spring, though.

Dimple, I sure would love to come to your place for a snow fest; today, it's raining here again, and all the snow we had is gone. That's the backside of living on the coast. Hope we'll get some for Christmas.

Congratulations, Mayrhi! :cheers: That's a great achievement!

Gondor TV would really be something - the shows would beat hands down the stuff they're showing nowadays on most channels. But, on the radio, there's some REAL Tolkien related stuff; someone I know from another site hosts a show called "What Would Arwen Do?" on Thursday mornings 9-10 AM Pacific Time, on on KUCI 88.9 FM (the station is in Irvine, CA), and streams live on the Internet at http://www.kuci.org. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to listen to this show yet, but those who have, have said that it's a good one.

Well, got to go and hang some laundry to dry. 'Til the next time! :hug:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2007 03:53
Swabby said
It's kind of frightening when the healer is in need of healing.

Ahh, dear Swabby, that’s just the way of it. Healers, being human, go through suffering as part of life. When we practice good methods of self-care, we can then speak to our clients with personal experience and not just quote textbook theory. It also helps us to empathize better with our clients . As my children like to say It’s all good.

Speaking of which – a nice young fellow fled his final exam yesterday in a state of panic,. By the time he arrived in my office he was shaking, gasping for breath and hardly knew his own address. Poor thing. The doctor , nurses and I helped him out and we’ll write a note to defer his exam to another time.

Awelyn- METV is only available on wireless - palantir, that is!

Dimple - I think the TV set was developed in a secret lab in Rivendell, with special parts being manufactured by Dwarves coming and going secretly at all hours.

Belle has barnyard woes! Oh dear! Sorry you had all that mess to contend with. Your horse is lucky to have such a diligent mistress.

Go, Cirdaneth, go ! :disco:

Arienelle - oh dear! You might think about getting your son a punching bag for Christmas to spare his poor hands.

Morwin Happy Independence Day ! strains of Finlandia playing in the background I’ll bet the Finns here in Thunder Bay will be celebrating. There is a Finnish consulate here, as this area of Canada has he largest concentration of Finns outside of their native land.

WWAD (What Would Arwen Do?) sounds like a good show. I doubt that I’ll be able to catch it, but it certainly piques my interest.

Mayrhi - congrats on the imminent Bachelor of Science: Psychology. May you go on to fund much satisfaction in whatever aspect of the profession you pursue. For me, it was counselling and it is both a joy and a privilege to work at helping people. The fact that I get paid for it is even nicer. Hahaha!

Well, off to work, or I won’t be earning any money today!

Once again, many thanks for the words of comfort and support. They touch my heart:heart: . Wish I had time to look that up and say it in Elvish. Maybe later.

[Edited on 6/12/2007 by Neenime]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2007 04:11
Happy Independence day Morwin! Now let me reveal my extreme ignorance by asking "independence from who, and when?"

Oh shoot, Neenime, you got some people's hopes up about that ME TV. And that radio program would have to have it's name changed to "What would the pointy-eared elf-witch do if she really was a certain ranger's love interest but she's not because the curly-headed kindergarten teacher is" Otherwise there'd be fireworks, I'm afraid.

The last time I punched a wall (197 I broke my hand, Arienelle. Thankfully your son did not.

Thanks for all the compliments, Awelyn, although I'm not sure they're all true.

I'm so sorry to hear about the latest disturbed person shooting all the innocents before blowing himself away, Scots. It seems that none of us are safe from those kind of nuts.

I've got company coming this morning, so I must run.

Have a great Thursday everyone! Swabby
Starkindler
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2007 05:44
Just trying to 'get a grip' on this thread. :twitch: ummm, what is it about? Yes, I'm over 40 yrs. If anyone would like to private message me and help reduce my ignorance re this thread, then I'd be soooo grateful.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2007 05:51
MAYRHI:Congratulations! :cheers:Hope you'll find a job that you'll like, I think, you have many possibilities in the field of psychology.Good luck

CIRNADETH:Good for you, you're a tough cookie

AWELYN:My heart will be with you this week-end, you go girl!!!:heart:

ARIENELLE: Ohhhhh he must have been very angry!Boys will be boys I guess.Look at it this way: better the wall than a person. I'm so glad you'll have the opportunity to find time for yourself.It's good to be with other peple sometimes and I hope you won't feel guilty about it!

MORWIN:Happy independance day! Like Swabby I like to know: independance from what or who? Take care and have a relaxing day

Tomorrow I'm going Christmas shopping with my daughter:heart: I'm leaving early in the morning and I'll sleep at her place.Friday evening will go see ''The golden compass '' can't wait.
HAVE A GOOD FRIDAY
DIMPLE:heart:
arienelle666
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2007 07:25
Just time for a quick post while the chicken is cooking. This is two in one day! *faints*

Just a couple of things I didn't get time for this morning, and a couple of extras!
Congratulations on your BSc Mayrhil :cheers: I hope all goes well for you with your future, what ever you decide to do.

Neenime, what you said about healers needing healing is so true. I have been through the process myself and it's tough. Being a complimentary therapist myself, the wide range of feelings that I have gone through since my son got ill has helped enormously with my work. It has broadened my horizons somewhat, and I think made me a better person and better able to deal with other people too. Bless you

Dimple, how come you know exactly what I am feeling! I do feel guilty for taking some time out for myself, even though common sense says that I should before I self destruct! It has been a long, long 19 months, and it's not over yet. I am sure I will adjust quickly enough when I make a start. I won't be any use to anybody if I crumble, so I know it is the right thing to do deep down, it's just that nagging feeling that I should be taking care of my child 24/7. I know it will only be for a couple of hours a week at the gym, and I will go when his Dad is at home to be with him, but this is the first tentative step towards my healing. It will be good to be with different company for a change, and it will do Jon good too to be a little more independent. I am planning to do a few things this year just for me, so the gym is good practice! I am planning to meet up with Calle for the Robin Hood exhibition, which I am really excited about, and a couple of things with the Tolkien Society too, so I now have some things to look forward to, especially now Jon has stabilized. I just have to get used to going out again! Thanks for your understanding:heart:

Is it a 'man' thing punching walls Swabby? I tend to be a 'thrower' myself! When I go off on one, the boys shout 'duck!' Wayne punched the wall because his brother said something to him he didn't like, and Wayne is at a very sensitive age. I actually commend him on his self control, as the wall got it instead of Jon! He is quite thoughtful actually! Lol

Hello Starkindler, nice to meet you. I have not been here that long myself, but it's great here. It's just us more 'mature' Tolkien heads sharing our life experiences and giving each other support with the 'daily grind'. A wonderful, caring bunch indeed! We have some good laughs, some good cries, just what friends do best! Please tell us a bit about yourself, as many of us have hobbies that we talk about, and our jobs and families and anything else that is going on! I will introduce myself to you. I am 41 years old and a mother of two teenage boys, one who has a long term illness. I work from home at the moment because of this and I am a complimentary therapist by trade! I enjoy all things Tolkien, I paint in oils and do pencil sketches when I get the chance, I enjoy reading, nature, gardening and burning things in the Kitchen!

Well, the chicken needs a prod, so I must dash.
Take care all
Arienelle
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: December 06, 2007 10:28
Arienelle! Can you get to Matlock? I can get a bus to there from here, or anywhere on the Manchester/Derby bus-route (The TransPeak service) Maybe we could meet for coffee or lunch soon after Christmas.

Gotta dash folks ... things2do/people2see ... etc ... and I have a migraine. All part of the Christmas pattern.
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2007 04:57
Hi Cirdaneth. Oooh, I used to get massive migraines. Take it easy my friend.
Arienelle, I think its great you are joining a gym. You'll soon see that its nothing to feel guilty about as its a great stress reliever and will help you deal with your busy home life even more. I cant wait till we meet for Notingham. It will be fun. Are you planning on attending any of the Tolkien events next year then? I love Tolkien weekend in Birmingham. Let me know if you would like a friend to attend of those things with you. Cirdaneth, you as well....you can join us anytime. It will be good to meet up with like minds.
Dimple, another really nice weekend plan with your daughter. Hope you have a briliant time.
Mayrhi, I have that second family thing as well. I have two grown sons and also a daughter 18 and son 17. It keeps you going though. Many many congratulations on the degree! :cheers: That is fantastic and your family must be very proud of you.
Hiya Swabby. Hope you are feeling better today. You guessed very well, almost. Abby is a mix of daschund and chihuahua. Cocoa is a mix of jack russell, daschund and beagle. Abby's viciousness does apparently come from the chihuahua bit.
I cant wait till you do your drawing of the Professor. I want to see it!
Awelyn, good luck with the remaining days of your play!
Oh no...it just starting really pouring down ice pellets. Hopefully it will melt soon as its sticking for the moment and afternoon driving is fast approaching. I have another 12 hour night shift tonight :yawn: , then yay!, three days off.

Oh! Starkindler...wanted to welcome you. Its a great place to be here. I Hope you will stay with us. I will try to greet you better soon as I have to dash off to get ready for work.

[Edited on 7/12/2007 by callë]
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2007 08:07
I just came back from paying the taxes on wife's new car----ouch that hurts!

I can't believe I came so close to guessing your dog's breeds, Calle. I'm not at all psychic, so it was a very lucky guess.
I think it's awsome that some of you girls live so close together that you can meet up. I hope someone takes a picture of you all together and lets us see it, that would be grand!
I haven't started a picture of the prof yet, Calle, but I plan to, and if it turns out well, I'll share it as always.

I guess hitting is a guy thing, Arienelle. That's what I've always done when I've popped my cork, at least. I was a hot-headed terror when I was young and was always sticking my fist through something. I punched the windshields out of two of my cars because they wouldn't start. Yeah I know, that was really smart. I did learn how to install windshields, however. The other bit of good news is that I usually punched inanimate objects instead of people when I did my Hulk imitation. I'm sorry, y'all must be dissappointed in me to hear that I used to be like that, but it's true. I was shocked to find out years later that I had a reputation in high school of being someone "You didn't want to mess with". I thought I was a quiet, mild-mannered guy that hardly anyone noticed, but then my little sister informed me that no one ever gave her any flack because they were afraid she'd sic her big brother on them. That sure was news to me. Anyhow, I'm much, much more easy-going now that Im a low-testosteroned almost sixty-year-old, and don't think I'll ever bust another windshield.

Have fun shopping, Dimple!

And hey, where's MT? Is she shopping too? And Awelyn, and Mith-----hey, they must all be shopping!

We're going to see "The Golden Compass" Sunday. My son just read the book and said he really liked it.

Happy Friday everyone! Swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2007 09:57
I'm sooo glad I don't have a car. It can be a bit of a pain sometimes having to use public transport, but at least I don't have to pay tax or insurance. We do have a car in the household, but it is my significant other's, so he gets to bear the burden of the cost, although I do help out.

Of course, being a eldar of the town, I do have a bus pass, so I get free travel on local buses, but in April next year that changes and I get to travel further for free.

I have finally made my escape from the Land of Mordor. Lol!! I handed my notice in with the Orcs. :disco: I have a part time job, albeit temporary, at my daughter's office.

Good luck with your fitness regime, cirdaneth.

I was mugged once. That wasn't the most pleasant of experiences, although thankfully I wasn't hurt, just my bag torn off my shoulder. The policeman who came to my house to take details, said it appeared that the little scrote was lucky to get away from me, when I told him I chased after the culprit. I was fizzing. Lol! I swear if I had caught him, he would have been sorry, but he had a bicycle and made his get away.

Hi starkindler. :wave: There's nothing mysterious about this place, just people of a like age, who chat and share their day. I'm sure you will soon feel very comfortable here.

I'm 61, a Secretary, have two grown children, two cats and a wonderful significant other. :love: Oh, and I am the resident dragon here. Long story. Lol!

I still haven't put my Christmas decorations up, but I have written and sent all my cards. And bought most of my pressies too.

Hugs to those I haven't mentioned. :hug:

*extends wings and lifts off on a thermal, heading for the Lonely Mountain and Uncle Glaurung* Gotta deliver his present.

Byeee

Rose/Dracella xxx
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2007 10:47
Hi guys

Sorry I wnet a bit quiet for a while have been a bit busy. Last week my Mum had a (thankfully very mild) stroke. She has lost a bit more of her poor eyesight but otherwise seems ok. She was at the hospital today for tests and they didn't keep her in which I am taking as a good sign. Its funny that I see an 87 year old woman as indestructable but because she never complains and is always cheerfull it gave me a shock. Typically for her when it happened she didn't tell anyone because she 'didn't want to make a fuss' However she did tell me whan I rang the morning after and because she has had operations on her eyes she and I just assumed that at worst she had a detached retina. My borthers and I have told her now that she has to tell us if she starts to feel unwell. I ring her every day as does one of my brothers and we all keep in touch.

Getting on not too badly for Christmas with the shopping and stuff but I must confess much as I enjoy the special times I will be glad when its over and I can relax.

Love and hugs

HT:heart:
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: December 07, 2007 11:22
Hi Starkindler. I’m a widow of 65 and live in the Peak District National Park, Derbyshire, UK. Welcome to our little group.

I’ve been very busy today as I had emptied and defrosted my freezer and have now cooked and frozen 40 meals for myself. They are broths, casseroles and chunky soups with a base of real chicken stock. Ten servings each of …
1. spicy chicken and tomato with pasta wheels, baby corn, courgettes (zucchini), peppers, and mixed roots, a jar of balti mix, a tin of tomatoes and a demi-tasse of Harvey’s Bristol Cream Sherry.
2. Chicken with fusilli, mushroom, French beans, celery, and mixed roots, a jar of thai green curry mix, tarragon and a large dry vermouth,
3. pork and apricot casserole and
4. spicy lamb casserole with mixed roots, peppers, chick peas (garbanzo) a pouch of tagine mix, tinned tomatoes, sultanas and rice (plus the sherry of course!)

I’m off to bed soon as I still have the migraine, although it is somewhat abated. I’ve had to keep busy today as my neighbour moved away this morning. They didn’t want to go but his work means they must move to Suffolk. It was a tearful farewell. When Calar died, Sue was one of the first to know (hard to miss, mind you. There were four police-cars and two ambulances outside), but she was there for me and the night before the funeral she came to the undertakers with me and sat while I sang to him before they put the lid on.

People move on. I’ve said a lot of goodbyes in my time, so I didn’t realise I would feel this blue; but it’s as if I’ve lost another little bit of him; someone who knew him, watched his struggle, and shared the shock. It’s like she’s slipped into the past along with him. It’s not as if she and I were particularly close. We were involved in quite different activities in the village, and have different interests. Sorry to burble on like this. Feeling bewildered (and migrainy).

Anyway, I’ve got that freezer stocked up again, and shall order some Christmas goodies tomorrow. I also need 40 more cards, but they’ll have to wait until Monday. I wasn’t going to bother putting up decs this year. I’m the only person who sees them … but maybe I will after all.

Wonder who my new neighbours will be? Hugs to all :hug:

Ooops HT! You posted while I was writing that. Sorry to hear about your Mum. It must be a dreadful worry. :hug:

[Edited on 7/12/2007 by cirdaneth]
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: December 07, 2007 12:59
Oh cirdaneth I am so sorry about your friend moving away. Is she going to be really far from you or maybe that is not the point so much as it is she knew Calar and that is the part you will miss most. By all means decorate maybe that will cheer you up. I hope your migraine goes away. What a energetic little bee you are. Okay tell me where is your storehouse of energy? I want to borrow some.

Swabby today in the mail I received two drawings that made me smile. That Gandalf is so superb. Aragorn is great but your Gandalf is excellent. Thank you so much.How you acted before is water under the bridge and you can't change it so don't sweat the small stuff. When my sister was in high school she wrote on the back of her school photo she gave me. To a sweat sister. I read it over and over. I was only 11 but thought do I need deodorant. But come to find out it was a spelling error of course she meant sweet. :angel:

Ht I am sorry about your mom and I am glad it was a mild one. I have not finished decorating but I am Sunday and then will start on the gift buying. :dizzy: Take care.

Rose, I bow to you oh resident dragon and I give you a hug :hug:
because I missed you. That is nice that you will be working for your daughter I guess. I could not work with or for my daughters. We would drive each other crazy. Oh I would not have wanted to be that mugger. Have a good weekend and keep those wings dry.

Calle thank you and have a great time with arienelle. Are you finished with your shopping?

arienelle, everyone needs quality time to rejuvenate and recharge so we will be better people so you go girl. You deserve it.

Dimple thank you I will keep you all in my heart tonight. Have a good time with your daughter.

starkindler welcome and I sent you a pm to explain FOF.

Neenime you are back to your silly self. Bless your heart. Have a good week. Morwin happy independence day. :disco: :disco: :rolling: I hope you had a good day.

Well, I am off to transform myself for the play. Have a great Friday.Friday.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2007 04:06
Hi Starkindler! Welcome to the craziness. I'm still a FoF except in my case it's a Fan over Fifty. Gak! How did THAT happen??! I am an educator of adolescent orklings...well, they aren't orklings all of the time. 7th graders to be precise and I try my best to instill some reading and writing in them. I live on the PoG (Nebraska) which is verra, verra snowy at the moment. More snow in the forecast!! But that's me in a nutshell...without the shell actually.

It's been interesting at school lately. The textbook companies are coming in and doing their propaganda thing. I find it amusing. People are getting rather emotional about the whole thing. Change REALLY scares the people in our elementary school. It's been a really rough row to hoe with the kids in our district. Our elementary school is still enamored with the whole language debacle thanks to the local college in our town. :banghead: They are very resistant to change, and so in consequence, the kids we get are 2 years, 3 years, and upwards behind grade level when we get them. Very frustrating. They can't see a problem because "when we have them they're only a year or so behind." What they don't realize is that it snowballs and makes it nearly impossible for me to do my job. It's the same on the math side as well. But I'm hoping that a change is in the wind, and we at the middle school have been looking at some really neat books, so hope abounds.

It looks Christmas-y here. We had 4.5 inches of the white stuff yesterday which made driving home an adventure. Thank goodness for front wheel drive. There is a forecast for another 2-4 inches this weekend and to top it off nicely, ice. It's definitely winter here on the PoG. We're going to be Scrooges here this year. No tree nor trimmings going up. We'll just enjoy everyone else's. Neither the spousal unit or I feel we have the umph to decorate this year. Maybe next year if our son comes home. We did it up proper last year when he brought his girlfriend home to "meet the parents." Its an off year for us.

Scary things happened on the PoG this Wednesday. I'm sure most of you have heard about it, so I won't go into detail. Suffice it to say that many people on the PoG need some good thoughts wafted their way. I can only shake my head and answer, "I have NO clue as to the why," when my kids at school ask me why. I know the young man was mentally ill, but the whole thing just makes me so darned livid when I think of the selfishness of this young man. Neemie, I know you could set me straight...maybe...but I just don't understand.

*off my tirade now. deep cleansing breath...in...out...in...out...going to my happy place

Well, I'm off to go sit on the couch with the spousal unit and just be. No thinking allowed, just being. Gotta recharge them thar batteries. I hope this weekend you all get your batteries charged.
*wink, wink, nudge, nudge*
Nai cuilelya nauva mára!
Scots
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2007 06:42
I'm very glad you liked the prints, Awelyn. I can never predict which of my drawings will be a hit and which one's won't. The Gandalf was way easier to do than the Aragorn, much of that because Gandalf was well-groomed with nice, combed hair and Aragorn was scruffy with lots of little details to define.
Of course I know it's all in the past, Awelyn. I guess I just like to tell people about my journey from there to here and how I've made changes for the better, some intentional and some not.

Congratulations on your new, less-demanding job, Rose. I hope this means we'll be seeing more of you.

Have a great Saturday, everyone! Swabby
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: December 08, 2007 09:07
Hello, Starkindler! Nice to see that you too found this club of more mature Tolkien fans!

Congratulations for the new job, Rose!

My sympathies are with the people on the PoG, Scots.

To those who asked about our Independence Day: From the Medieval Age to the early 19th century, Finland was a part of Sweden. Then, the Russians beat the Swedes at a war, and Finland became an autonomous grand duchy in the Russian Empire. In December 1917, in the aftermath of the Russian Revolution, we declared the country independent. So, it was the 90th anniversary this year. There were many public celebrations, but we preferred to stay at home and have a peaceful day of our own.

Today, I had an exceptional Saturday. My husband, who is a fan of our local ice hockey team, had won a VIP evening for two at today's game. So, we went there together, had a good three course meal at the VIP restaurant, complete with beer or wine, and good seats for the game. To top it all, the home team managed to win.

Have a great and relaxing weekend, everybody! :hug:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2007 06:19
My heart goes out to everyone affected by the tragedy in Omaha. it comes on the heels of a painful anniversary here is Canada. It was 19 years ago that a disgruntled would-be engineering student named Marc Lapine gunned down 14 women, most of whom were engineering students. Several were within days of graduating.

You have to grasp what a man's world engineering is and what harassment many female students endure to fully understand the extent of the tragedy, beyond the horrific way that they died.

Scots I feel your frustration, but can offer only limited insight at present. We'll need t know more about the young man and what his circumstances were, to understand motive and process.

Young Mr. Hawkins apparently said this his suicide note that
I’ve just snapped. I can’t take this meaningless existence anymore I’ve been a constant disappointment and that trend would have only continued............“Just think tho I’m gonna be (expletive) famous,”
and he made some reference to taking some "pieces of ^#%&" with him.

Sounds like a terribly frustrated, self-hating and angry person who had given up on life. Let's remember , though, that we are a society that only truly values success and power. Whoever doesn't measure up is looked upon as a loser . For most of us, that hurts a bit but other factors keep us healthy and out of trouble. For others, it hits too hard. Maybe they lack compassion and so they take it out on others. The process of moving from frustration to massacre is complex and mental health professionals and social scientists don;t completely understand it, tho we keep trying to.

You say he was "mentally ill" That's a big term that tells us very little. It might interest you to note that the following people are "mentally ill":
-Dan Rather (depression)
-Harrison Ford
-Halle Berry
-President Lincoln (depression)
-Alexander the great (depression)
-Leonardo da Vinci (depression)
Winston Churchill (depression)
-Sir Anthony Hopkins (depression and alcoholism)
-Sting
-Robin Williams (bipolar disorder)

Well, the list would fill three columns of an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper, in very fine print. The point is that , with the exception of people who are paranoid , those who are psychopaths (no feeling, no remorse no sense of connection with others), and rare cases of sudden 'snaps", most mentally ill people are not in the least bit dangerous.

It's a sad, sad story and it will take some time to unravel it. we can only pray for the comfort of al those affected
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2007 06:41
And that radio program would have to have it's name changed to "What would the pointy-eared elf-witch do if she really was a certain ranger's love interest but she's not because the curly-headed kindergarten teacher is" Otherwise there'd be fireworks, I'm afraid.

Swabby

How true, my friend, how true! That curly-headed kindergarten teacher is duly devoted to the point of obsession for the certain ranger of whom we speak. A new drawing of his scruffy yet handsome countenance is hanging upon her wall, thanks to a very talented artist who also dabbles in writing, music, cooking and riding motorcycles.

Welcome starkindler. Buckle your seatbelt and enjoy the ride.

Congrats on the BS degree, Mayrhi. May you find just the right job.

I believe that each of us is what Henri Nowen calls a wounded healer, neenime. Those of us who have been injured by life's rough spots share similar pains with those traveling their own rough patch in the road.

I will feel so much better when I return to my normal workout schedule, cirdaneth. I'm glad that it doesn't feel right when I'm not exercising as much as I usually do.

Be careful driving, walking and doing anything when ice pellets are falling, calle.

Congrats on your escape from Mordor, rose. Run far and fast and don't look back!

I'm glad that your mum wasn't affected more severely, HT . I pray that she stays well.

Hope that you're enjoying your time on the stage, awelyn. Time flies when you're having fun!

Thanks for explaining Independence Day, Morwin. I had forgotten the details.

I'm sorry that I haven't been around as much. Last week my father-in-law fell down while he was at home. He got a big bump on his head and didn't respond well when his daughter helped him up. She called an ambulance and they took him to the hospital where his heart stipped beating twice before a stint could be put in. His ribs were broken when CPR was administrated. He as stabalized and later taken into surgery where he received a temporary pacemaker.
And so I have been busy visiting him at the hospital and helping care for his wife, who has Alzheimer's Disease. He helped take care of his wife during the day while sister-in-law went to work. Now we're looking for care-givers for them both.
He's improving slowly and will be put in a long term care facility next week. Still working on what to do with mother-in-law. Hopefully I won't be as busy and can stop by more often.

Thinking of you all with warm thoughts!

MT
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2007 05:22
Thanks all for the good wishes in my new employ. And, yes, I hope it means I will be around more, swabby.

It was a jolt to hear about the shootings in Omaha, scots. Although my encounter with the city was via the airport and your driving us through the city on our way to your home, I felt the news a little more than I would have normally, had I read about it before that.

Depression, or mental illness as some people like to class it sometimes, is I feel, a misunderstood condition. A tree with many branches.

Being diagnosed many years ago as manic depressive, although with no treatment at that time offered, I have managed my condition over the years, dealing with the highs and lows as they come and go. Perhaps I am a strong minded person, I don't know, and maybe only mildly affected.

What does may my teeth itch is when people tell you to 'pull yourself together', 'get a hobby' and other such suggestions. Also when they deride the use of medication and can make the sufferer feel guilty about taking meds. I have personal experience of that with my daughter. She thankfully saw sense and continued with the necessary treatment.

A wise woman once said to me, when I was worried about my daughter, that there was nothing wrong with medication. After all, if you have a heart condition or other illness that requires meds, you don't stop taking those, do you.

Sorry if that was a little off track, but I do get irritated when people lump all depression together.

As far as the young man in Omaha is concerned, if he wanted to leave this world, that was his choice, what gave him the right to take others with him and devastate families.

As always, these are my personal thoughts and opinions and I don't expect anyone to agree or disagree.

Well that gotten off my chest and again apologies, I am in the throes of putting my Christmas decs up, with the help of my cats, lol!! Cards are posted....but I may have already said that .... lol!! Old timer's disease.

So sorry to hear about your father-in-law, MT. Hope he makes a good recovery. et:

Sounds like you had a great night, Morwin.

I hope you are enjoying your time on stage, awelyn. I used to love acting when I was at school and made it onto the legitimate stage .... sweeping up .... lol!! Nooo, only joking, but I did actually work backstage at theatres, as a dresser. That was fun and I have some great memories of working with UK stars.

Echoes congrats to Mayrhi on her BS degress. Way to go!

Still no snow here in Manchester, although further North they did have some.

Well, I am off to finish hanging baubles and tinsel.

Take care everyone and have a lovely Sunday. :heart:

Rose/Dracella xxx
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2007 06:10
It is a dreary, rainy day here at the foot of the Ozarks and the weather lady said there might be some frozen precipitation at the higher elevations later today.

That's great news about your spending more time with us, Rose. I wondered if you related to America differently after having visited here. I have always felt a strong connection to your country and love the motorcycles, the music and much, much more that came (and comes) from England, but I realise that visiting there (Which I've never done) would make it all so much more real.
I agree with your sentiments about the Omaha shooter. Sick, twisted people used to just kill themselves without taking a bunch of innocents with them. Now, no thanks to the irresponsible, ratings-driven media, the exploits of these sickos are played and replayed on the "news" until the other little sick minds see them as some kind of heroes and know that they, too, can become famous if they can just lay their hands on an arsenal, and of course that isn't hard to do here in gun-loving America. Grrrr! If I had my way, there'd be some changes made.

I'm so sorry to hear about your father-in-law and all the other problems caused by his unfortunate accident, MT. You really must remember to take care of yourself also as you deal with all of that. May God give you strength.

Have a good Sunday everyone. Swabby
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2007 06:36
What a tragedy in Omaha. The apartment we rented while hubby worked in Nebraska last year was only a short distance from the mall where the shootings took place. I did some of my Christmas shopping at that mall last year! Scots, thought of you and glad you are not residing in that city.

To quote Rose: "A tree with many branches." An interesting take on depression. I never thought of it that way before but it is a fitting analogy.

Those of us who have been injured by life's rough spots share similar pains with those traveling their own rough patch in the road.
How true that is, MT. Thanks for shoring. Hope all goes well with your father-in-law and that you find suitable caregivers for him and your MIL.

HT, glad your mom's stroke was a mild one. She is the same age as Aragorn in FOTR. Perhaps a touch of that bloodline in her. Hope she is well and you can enjoy the holidays.

Have been busy with Christmas preparations. Cards are done and should be in the mail Monday. Cooking baking and shopping are both about half way there. Wouldn't it be great to have an extra couple of days to squeeze in where we needed them during this busy time of year?

Awelyn, you asked about traditions and I have to stop and think. So much just seems the norm, like the baking choices and holiday menus. Stockings to fill....I always put them where the kids could get at those early...they had to wake Mom & Dad before going to the tree with the presents. Can recall sitting with my kids and waiting for their dad to wake up so we could open gifts. Precious moments, indeed.

What a marvelous fun time that must have been, Morwin. A VIP date. Sounds great. My grandson in WA is playing hockey all the time now. It is an exciting game to watch live and now I think some day maybe I can watch him play.

Speaking of grandsons, daughter and son-in-law just told him there was no Santa. (Even though I think he had figured it out already.) He was not upset in the least and told my daughter to be on the look out. Said he was going on a treasure hunt and would find his presents no matter where she hid them, unless they were too high up for him to reach!

New drawings, Swabby? Good Lord, I have been busy if those were posted and slipped past me. You have such an amazing talent.

Well I'm off to put a roast in the oven for later and give the computer back to hubby. Love and hugs. :heart::love: :hug:
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2007 06:39
*draped with tinsel and baubles the Dragon ambles back into the FoF room*

Hi swabby. Yes, I do relate more to America having visited your wonderful country. Although, I have always had an affection for the Land across the Pond and its inhabitants. :love:

I received this e-mail from a friend, don't know if any of you have seen it, but it had me nodding in enthusiastic agreement. How true it is, sadly!!

'Rather Remarkable Obituary:

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Mr. Common Sense.
Mr. Sense had been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such value lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm and that life isn't always fair. Common Sense lived by simple, sound
financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not kids, are in charge).

His health began to rapidly deteriorate when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Mr. Sense declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student; but, could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense finally gave up the ghost after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, she spilled a bit in her lap, and was awarded a huge financial settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust, his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by two stepbrothers; My Rights and Ima Whiner.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on; if not, join the majority and do nothing.

Had better pop off, as I am making chicken broth. *licks lips*

Bye for now

Hugs

Rose/Dracella xxxx
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2007 08:51
Hi Guys and welcome Starkindler this is a great place to be.

Thanks to everyone who sent me good wishes about my mum and I am thinking of you who have troubles of your own. I thought perhaps a little seasonal humour might be in order and this is what my crazed mind came up with....

The confessions of a mixed up minor supreme being
OK so it caused a bit of hassle at the time but nobody’s perfect are they? Alright already! Being supreme beings we are supposed to be perfect but one little mistake and everyone else gets mad at you? Perhaps I better start at the beginning.
I’m in charge of sending the good guys into the earthly realms, and let me tell you it’s a whole lot more difficult than it looks – the good guys don’t always stay that way once they take on physical form, something in their software goes a bit wonky and before you know it they’re cackling madly and trying to take over whichever world they’ve been sent to.
Anyhow this day I had gotten most of the heroes, mysterious strangers, time lords etc to where they were supposed to be and I was left with these two beings who looked fairly similar. Both were elderly gents with white hair and white beards. The plumper of the two was wearing a red suit and carrying a sack and the other one was dressed in grey and carrying a staff – or was it the grey guy with the sack? I think you can see why I was confused.
So I thought I had it all sussed and sent them off as per instructions – at least what I thought had been the instructions. Fat red suited jolly guy to middle-earth and grey wizard to planet earth. Turns out I got it ever so slightly wrong!
Santa, aka St Nick is in middle-earth and is trying to lure the elves into his workshop to make toys. Given that the last being who got the elves to make something (rings) ended up trying to take the place over they were understandably less than enamoured with the idea. That however paled into insignificance when they saw what he wanted them to wear. I think it was Elrond who threw a complete strop when Santa suggested he put on a green and red suit complete with pointy hat with bells on. Elves even half elves are a bit vain about their appearance and it didn’t go down to well I can tell you.
He was a bit happier when he met up with the hobbits, now they seemed much more like what he had in mind and they quite took to his jolly demeanour. At least they did till he started trying to come in down their chimneys. As one of them put it “Can’t he just knock on the door like anyone else?”
Also Saruman seemed less than impressed when Santa informed him that he had checked his list (twice) and Saruman was definitely naughty and wasn’t getting any presents.
So onto Gandalf who is on planet earth and finds himself in a department store with a child on his lap. Said child pulls Gandalf’s beard. Gandalf growls something that sounds like ‘fool of a Took!’ and threatens to turn the little charmer into a toad. Little charmer promptly starts crying and his mum clocks Gandalf one with her handbag. He did however take well (rather too well it turned out) to all the sherry and mince pies. Have you ever seen a wizard with a massive hangover? Not a pretty sight I can tell you. I think I realised something was wrong after he ate Rudolf instead of harnessing him to the sleigh, apparently reindeer meat tastes like venison which is not what the guys at the top of this particular supreme being HQ were interested in hearing. Still it all got sorted out in the end.
I decided not to tell them about mixing up Robin Hood and Faramir – After all consider the evidence. Forests, green clothes, bows and arrows, feisty girlfriends and absent Kings. Who’s ever going to know?

Hope you like it!

Love and hugs everyone.

HT:heart:
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2007 10:09
Oh, HT, I am sorry. I don't think I mentioned your mum. I sincerely hope she is doing well. *smacks wrist*.

Thank you for your seasonal humour and aren't you clever. That's soooo funny.

~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2007 10:46
Suilad, Mellyn Nin!
Hope that all of you are well ..as well as your families!
I have been keeping VERY busy..as RL has hit us hard here at the ranch.... but all the same...it is a good life!!
I would like to thank all of you ..for the prayers and good wishes for my sons safe return from overseas!! He has returned safely...and I have been to visit him and his family!! Thoroughly enjoyed it too..and getting to visit my one year old granddaughter for the first time!
I hope that all of you have a wonderful holiday season!
love and miss you all,
Randi
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2007 12:39
Mae govannen, Randi. :wave: Good to see you. That's wonderful that your son is home and safe. Seeing your granddaughter must have been a lovely moment.

Take care and we miss you, too.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2007 01:14
Greetings all ! I am back from a day fo freezing my little behind. We had the daft notion of going out to do photos at -25* C (that's pretty close to the same in F). :dizzy: At least it was sunny and my friend and I got some good lessons in both shooting and photo-[processing from hubby.

We had a chance to help out someone in need, too. We watched a big passenger truck (like a Ford 150) go off the road, through a snowbank and end up at a 45* angle in a snow-filled ditch. It was only a few feet from a light pole. Fortunately the snow cushioned the landing The poor young woman was really shaken up , as were her two toddlers, though the infant was blessedly oblivious to it all.

We ran down the embankment and helped them all get out of the vehicle, handing them up to the others who stopped to help. As our car was closest, we kept them warm in it until the rescue vehicles arrived.

Glad that everyone is OK!

HT I hope your mother is doing well. that must have been quite a scare.

And the Supreme Being fiasco was a hoot! You have a great imagination.

MTMS – so sorry about your father-in-law. I am glad that you are all able to help. I hope you get some rest.

Your

I believe that each of us is what Henri Nowen calls a wounded healer, neenime. Those of us who have been injured by life's rough spots share similar pains with those traveling their own rough patch in the road.
Strikes me as true.

Rose- I admire your courage for sharing your story. YOu are a strong and remarkable woman to have gotten through that condition (although sometimes diagnostic labels are thrown about rather freely). I agree on the medication comment. It has a place in treatment, not as a replacement for other forms of help, but it plays a role in stabilizing the chemical imbalances to which human beings are prone.

And congrats :disco: on liberating yourself from Cirith Ungol! May your new situation be much more enjoyable.

Re: the shooter not having right to harm others in his pain, you're so right. That’s what distinguishes the proverbial "sheep" from "goats", in my book. I, too have to wonder whether the media frenzy with these things feeds people's little egos and so the heinous act seems like one powerful thing that the person can do. Who knows?

Anyway, off to do some Christmas cards.

Cheerio :wave:

[Edited on 9/12/2007 by Neenime]
Starkindler
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2007 01:42
Well, thank you for making me feel welcome. I appreciated the private messages too. I am closer to 50 than 40yrs, and have four children aged between 19 and 11: two of whom are members of COE (the other two aren't 13 yet and can't wait to join).
If you want to know a bit about my alter-ego Starkindler then have a look at a thread in the realm of Vaire "The devasting truth revealed" ... I managed to 'hijack' that thread ....
My 'normal' (I use that word loosely!!) self: Australian (Queenslander to put it more precisely), oscillating between professional woman and homemaker (not very good at keeping a house clean and tidy, but a wonderful, warm, caring and intelligent person ... my opinion and most of my friends would agree!! ... the children may not ...); still married after 24.5 yrs; I enjoy gardening (although that can be in a bit of disarray as well), have just started doing 'filet crocheting'; and love reading. Oh, I nearly forgot, yes, I am of the female gender.
It will take me a while to catch up on who you all are. I try to get onto COE once a week or fortnight (two weeks for those who live north of the equator). I love the thought of a warm, supportive thread. Take care.
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2007 04:54
Hi again starkindler and good to read a little about yourself. Unfortunately, unless we are members of Vaire, we are unable to gain access to that Realm.

Two children on CoE. It's lovely when families have several members on the Site. My children are 37 and 34. Children!! Lol!! Well they always are, aren't they.

No problem, Neenime. I don't think my label was one that was thrown around freely. I was 16 when I first went to the doctor's with my symptoms or at least those I felt I could tell him about. However, I won't go into those here. His reaction was ... 'well that usually is the way...'. I thought for a moment ...'What is?' I queried. 'Manic Depression' he replied, 'if you want, I can give you some valium.'

From then on as you can imagine, even at the tender age of 16 and the pathetic concern and help I got ... lol ... I haven't had the greatest confidence in doctors. Of course in those days, people were expected to get on with things and not whine. So I did just that. And here I still am. Somewhat grumpier, a little frayed around the edge on occasion, but I ride the thermals and either people ride with me or they wait until I arrive back in the place I should be.

But enough of me. Us dragons can talk a storm sometimes.

Hope everyone is fine and diddly dandy this lovely day. Yes, in dear old Manchester, the rain has stopped and we have blue sky and sunshine, albeit a bit nippy. Lol!!

Did everyone read 'The Remarkable Obituary' in my post on the page before this one. I really thought it was very good and kinda sad. *sniff*

Well, bye for now, I see smoke signals coming from cousin Smaug's cave, or at least I think that's what they are. He might be having a barbeque.

Hugs

Rose/Dracella xx
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: December 10, 2007 07:09
Well, I've survived another Monday... Even the time card/door pass system at my job, which acted up the whole last week, worked almost normally. :rolleyes:

HT, it was good that I didn't have anything in my mouth when I read your Santa and Gandalf story! Hope your mother is doing well now.

Rose, that obituary seems so true, unfortunately. When did thinking become obsolete? :dizzy:

I wrote the postcards yesterday, and mailed them today. Hope they'll get there by Christmas, but if they don't, they're on their way in any case.

Hope everybody has a good start for the week! :wave:
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2007 09:24
ARIENELLE:I .knew a little bit you might feel that way because of my mother.I have a sister who is mentally handicaped: she has Down Syndrome.My mother took care of her until she was 8 or 9 years old.She never took time for herself as of matter of fact I'm wondering how she could find the time to breath at all.We were young too my brother and I and she had to take care of all of us.Finally she was so exhausted that she had to put my sister in a special home, she was devastated. At the end it worked all very well.My sister still live in that special home ,more like a family home really, but my mother still worry all the same ....

It will be fun to be with Calle and Cirnadeth if you can go.You are so lucky to live close from each other

CIRNADETH:I know what you are going through with the migraine.I have them about twice a year.They made me nauseated and I have to run for the bathroom to throw up.
I hope you're feeling better now. Your meals look deliscious Do you always cook ahead of time?
Sorry you're loosing your good neighbourg,sometimes it's hard to move on, cheer up my friend I'm thinking about you:heart:

CALLE: It's so nice ,to be able to meet some friends from FoF
I envy you!

SWABBY: I saw ''The golden compass'' with my daughter last friday.They made some cuts but in overall I liked it. The daemons are realistic and the bears are just well out of this world, fantastic!! I guess they didn't want to disappoint the people because the end is not at all the same than in the book

ROSE: So nice to have a new job, good luck! I like the way you describe mental illness and depression''a tree with many branches''. I agree with you about the Omaha kid
I read the obituary and it is unfortunately too true
Hope you enjoyed putting up your Christmas decorations as much as your cats and don't worry we like you just the way you are:heart:

MITH: So glad you're not living there anymore!
About Christmas tradition, I have onen Christmas eve when my daughter was small we baked Christmas cookies, only for Santa.During the evening and before she went to bed,she dressed up a full plate of cookies in front of the chimney with a little note.Come Christmas morning,the plate was gone and the cookies and the look on her face was just magnificient.Very nice memories:heart:

HT: Love your little story lol

RANDI: How wonderful to see your son and your granddaughter! Enjoy the holidays with them! Nice to hear from you

NEENIME: The people in that truck were so lucky you were driving by.Glad they were OK Feels good when we're able to help doesn't it

STARKINDLER: Hello and welcome :wave: to this marvelous site.I'm a french canadian from Québec.I have a 19 years old daughter who is a member of CoE. As of matter of fact, she is the one who made me come here and I don't regret it one bit.I love gardening, cooking, reading,taking walks with my dog, sipping tea, drinking wine and coffe.i love the people on this site because they are good loving persons and friends and I hope you'll feel the same very soon.

I had a marvelous time shopping with my daughter friday.We spend the day at the mall and found my husband's gift.She gave me some suggestions for her gifts and I gave her some for mine.We laugh and ate chocolates.During the evening we went to the movie:''The golden compass'.After the movie we ended up at the pizzeria and made our way back to her room.It was a very nice day:heart:

Have a good beginning of the week my good friends
DIMPLE:heart:

Oh I forgot!!!
HT: Sorry about your mother, hope she is feelinf better

AWELYN: How was the play?

MORWIN: Thanks for explaining a little bit of your history
What a great night you had

MTMS:Sorry for what happen to your father in law. Broken ribs are painful and hope he will recover well and that you will be able to find a good and devoted care giver.Don't forget to take care of yourself too

BYE BYE :heart:
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: December 10, 2007 01:05
Time is so short I’ll have to write this like a kind of telegram, but first I want to say I’m thinking of everyone, and reading all the posts even though I can’t get to comment on everything separately.

Had that pesky tooth crowned last Monday and thought I was free of dentists until next May (unless I get to sing at his local folk-club at Cheddleton). Yesterday a completely different tooth started twinging and acting up. Oh dear. Would it flare up for Christmas?

Intended to go to the Bakewell gym this morning, but dentist is in the opposite direction … Buxton. Rang the surgery. He had 10 minutes free at 11:50 so I set off on the 9:45 to Bakewell, did a quick session in the gym and went for the 11 o’clock to Buxton. It was half an hour late, but the driver made up time and got us over 12 miles of switch-back hills in 20 mins. It was a bit queasy-making! I was just in time for my appointment..

Bought a poinsettia for my new neighbours who were due today, but no sign of them when I got back … but … what’s all this activity around our run-down village pub, just across from me ”closed for refurbishment”? I wandered in (closed doesn’t mean the door is locked!!) to find that my neighbours Steve and Jane across the road have taken it on. What a sight! They and their daughter, Steve’s sister and Jane’s mum were all painting the walls and Jane’s dad was papering the ceiling. The loos have been ripped out and the horrible tiles stripped from the walls. Boxes of new tiles stacked in the hallway, new carpet coming Thursday. They reopen Friday. Wow!

As I came out of the pub my new neighbours’ removal van was just leaving, so I took them their plant, and introduced myself. Sadly they will not be living here full time. That’s a shame. We will have to work on them.

Anyway, I feel as if some kind of energy-block has been removed from the village and the air is humming with motivation and happy change. After all the sadness of recent months it’s a real boost.

*Cirdaneth goes of singing tra-la-tra-la!*
<< First1213141516Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email