<< First1415161718
Author Topic:
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part XIII
on: December 17, 2007 09:26
Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!

Seasons greetings to all my COE friends!

:wave:
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2007 01:35
MTMS: so nice to hear from youyou seems so busy and tired now, where is that ranger with the pretty face?Standing in the corner again!!!!!Please take a little time for yourself and take care!: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your hubby

CALLE: Everytime I read your post I feel like I'm out of breath lol Hopefully those 9 days off will help you to slow down so you can come here more often

SWABBY:Your Christmas card made me laugh with that precioussssss helper inside.Thanks

TOM_ BOMBADIL: Merry Christmas to you too and a very Happy New Year

Dimple:heart:
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: December 17, 2007 03:35
Old Tom Bombadil it is so good to hear from you. It has been such a long time. How are you? Merry Christmas,Happy Holidays and Seasons Greetings.

Dimple,Yes , it is good to have them near if I can get something together for Tolkien.Dimple how much snow did you finally have? You keep warm and don't work to hard and be careful in that snow dear friend.

Swabby my heart just breaks for your sister. I would just feel helpless in your situation on how to comfort her. Because it seems like there is no way to comfort here. Good luck. Bless your heart. Sounds like you had fun at your son's play. I love to go to those things. I called my son last night and he was taking my grandkids to a Christmas pageant that my grandkids had a part in and I said I wish I was in the car with you. They live very far away and I miss doing the grandmotherly thing with them.

Calle you are so busy but I know you will calm down and get some time to relax but you may be the kind of person who likes to be on the go and to keep busy. Whatever it is great to hear from you.

Morwin I love sending e-cards. You take care. My Christmas break begins Thursday :disco: :disco: :rolling: .I am a little excited.

Brandy we need to see some new pictures of that grand baby. He just sounds so precious and you sure love him. Oh you lucky grandmother you.

cirdaneth I hope your chimney is cleaned out soon. I worry about you. I am just a worry wart my family tells me. You keep warm and the new refurbished pub sounds wonderful. Have a drink on me. :cheers: I will look into that Tolkien society idea that you mentioned. Thank you.

MTMS, oh girl you need some time to sing and dance and be jolly. Take care not to get to stressed. I might have to bring out my weapon I use in case of emergencies. It begins with a A don't make me use it. So you chill out and relax when is your Christmas vacation?

Neenime I am taking care of my finger and it is almost as good as new. Well we had snow Saturday night and it melted away by Sunday afternoon. Well over by my house on the shady side there there is a little bit left. So, you take care and keep warm.
I am taking some of my parents tomorrow with their children to see a Christmas tree forest. It is in our town museum and we have organizations and individuals decorate Christmas trees and then you tour them free of charge. Have a good night/day/afternoon.

Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2007 08:44
Awelyn I just love reading your posts. They are so heartfelt and show how much you care about everyone. Even through this busy season I keep thinking about ALEP and how much fun that will be together! Glad your finger is feeling better. I cut mine on a shrimp of all things. It is on the thumb and quite a nuisance.

Received more lovely cards....from Morwin and Magoleth. Thank you both. :heart:

Dimple, I send cards and gifts to people not to receive but to celebrate the birth of Jesus and wish them a Merry Christmas. You are very sweet and so welcome here, don't worry about the cards. Life has too many other things we can worry about.

It was a winter wonderland here this weekend. We went out to dinner with friends (pastor and his wife) Saturday night and it was coming down hard and fast but so pretty. The place where we ate was such a perfect setting...an old historic winery. It was beautifully decorated with lots of white lights along the stone walk to the entrance. We had an excellent seafood buffet. And the best seat...right by the fireplace. Here is the link with some interesting local history if you would like to check it out: http://www.monamiwinery.com/index.html

What a wonderful and memorable time seeing your son's play, Swabby. Sounds like they put their hearts and souls into it. I love watching children perform, they are so spontaneous and fun. And all that energy! Thank God you are with us this year and not in the hospital. Try to dwell on the good memories...warm thoughts and prayers I'm sending your way.

Well I think I'm done baking cookies as I baked about 700 this year. Now is the fun part making the cookie plates and passing them out. I have to do separate plates for hubby's family...they don't want to share my cookies, lol.

A couple last minute things to buy and wrap then I'm pretty much ready for Christmas. We are going to PA on Saturday the 22nd to celebrate with family. Then come back and get ready to leave for California the morning after Christmas. I'm trying to not think of it too much until I have all the holiday stuff done. Unless it is to think of warmer temps.

MT your Ara-baby just needs some special attention. Maybe another photo by the tree. I tried taking a close up of me & my Ara-baby but it just looked goofy. But thought you might understand. You sound really busy also. Prayers for your father-in-law....I'm glad he is improving.

Well I had best get to bed here soon. Lots to go do tomorrow. The roads should be cleared better by then. Oh the boots and gloves and hats and coats and all...makes me long for just a bathing suit and go lay on the beach somewhere warm and sunny. California may not be warm enough for that but it is sure close enough. It is just weird knowing we will be leaving home again for an extended time. Anyways, have a good night/day all. Love and hugs.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2007 04:55
AWELYN: We had about 25in. of snow on monday. Tuesday, it took us my husband and I about 2and a half hours to clear off the driveway and the balconies.I was so tired from shoveling that I could have laid down in the snow but I could'nt because the wind was so strong,it made it harder.Usually in dec. we don't have as much snow, now it looks like the end of january.Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about it so I keep warm with hat and mittens and try and I weigh the word TRY very carefully , to enjoy it as much as I can but you welcome to have doubts about it

MITH:Your dinner sounded very lovely and sittinf by the fireplace was certainly very charming, like a little hall of fire.It makes me think of Bilbo
OMG, Mith!!!! 700 Christmas cookies, I would have loved helping you to bake those wonderful cookies 700 I just can't get over it lol

Well I have to go now.My daughter is coming home tonight for the holidays:heart: She'll stay until the 27th, after that she has to work. It will be good to have her here for more than a week! For tonight I'm making chicken linguine(she loves pasta) a green salad and a dutch apple cake with lemon sauce.I will also put some Christmas decoration in her bedroom and will lit a vanilla candle, she likes the smell of vanilla.

Have a great day
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2007 05:39
Old Tom, I was afraid that giant, invisible buck-toothed hullis had made a meal of you. Where ya been?

Dimple, do you keep Bruno inside when the weather is bad? Does he behave himself when he's indoors?

We didn't get any accumulation of snow at all over here, Awelyn, but they did north of here in the mountains. Thanks for your concerns about my sister. I hope she can pull herself back from the place she's in.

I'm going to start calling you the "cookie lady" Mith! You're a regular one-lady cookie factory! Depending on where in California you go, you might be seeing that warm weather sooner than you think. That restaurant sounds like my kind of place, too. We just discovered a good one here. It is located in the old down-town area in one of the 150 year-old buildings. They have a small menu that changes every day and a fantastic selection of home made desserts. Good ambiance, great food and unbelievable prices----what more could you want? The three of us ate there last night and the bill was only $38.00, and that included many cups of coffee and raspberry tea plus three big pieces of cake. (I had a slice of raspberry white chocolate, but gave half of it to my teenage food disposal unit who had no trouble at all fitting it in with everything else he'd eaten.)

Yes, I do enjoy young people. Sometimes I'm dumb-founded at their lack of knowledge of certain things, but that's probably the fault of their parents. I'm pretty sure that Tommy knows way, way more about life and the world in general than most of his friends do. I've always talked to him as much as he'll allow me to, and of course y'all know me and how I can blabber on about everything under the sun.
Anyway, perhaps I relate to young people because, in some ways, I've never really grown up. Hmmm, could be, I think.

Have a great Tuesday, y'all. Swabby

Whoa! Dimple posted ahead of me. Say, dearest Dimple, if I can dig my way through all of that snow, do you suppose you could fit me in at your supper table? I wouldn't eat that much! (Not as much as Tommy, that is)

[Edited on 18/12/2007 by swabbythewhite]
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: December 18, 2007 07:02
Hey, a Tom sighting! Merry Christmas to you and Goldberry as well!

I've got more cards, from Swabby and Callë yesterday. Swabby, that little Gollum is just precioussss!

Had a crappy day at work today, and am now trying to recover from it... :dizzy:
arienelle666
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2007 08:18
Zooming through again to say a quick hello!
Calle, don't worry, my middle name is 'rush' at the moment!
Cirdaneth, I will e mail you as soon as I get a chance, it would be great to have a meet-up.
Awelyn, seems we are both in the same boat hear my love. My son (youngest, 13) has suffered with depression for quite some time now due to bullying at school and watching his elder brother be so ill, it has really taken its toll on him. He is is off school again at the moment, he just can't face going in. I understand how your son feels, it doesn't matter how old they are, they want Mum. Security. I have it rather hectic at present, as Jon is needing care all day, but usually sleeps through the night, but Wayne can't sleep at night as he can't switch off as his mind keeps going over and over things and he gets very distressed, so I have been managing on about four hours sleep at night for the past six months. :yawn: It makes things a bit difficult, but the poor lad can't help it. You have my complete support with dealing with your son and his issues, and it is very brave of him to admit that he has this illness that has so much stupid stigma attached. People with depressive illness are some of the bravest people in the world, and have my highest respect. Sending love and prayers your way.:heart:

Oh Swabby, I know how you must feel seeing that play knowing Bob was there last year. It is 21 years today since my beloved Grandad died, and his funeral was on Christmas Eve, and even now it saddens me. On the year he died, he knew he wouldn't see Christmas, and he had wrapped presents up and left them in his bedroom for me and my brother and a little note saying that he was sorry that he wouldn't be able to see us open them. It was very heart breaking, but I remember all the wonderful Christmases we had together and the joy he bought with his presence. Each year on this day I light a candle for him in my healing room and remember how much I love him. Our loved ones still live on in our hearts, and even though we miss their physical presence, they never truly leave because nothing can break apart love. Thinking of you and your sister.

A huge thank you to all of you who sent me cards, they are wonderful! I hope the one's I sent got to their destinations OK!

Well, must dash, as usual.
Love to all of you and I will pop in again as soon as I get a moment's peace!
Arienelle
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2007 11:57
Have I not posted for as long as it seems. So many posts.

Thank you for the cards I have received thus far and I loved the little extra, swabby.

Ouch on your cut finger, awelyn. I took a slice off the top of one of mine, years ago now. I was using one of those slicer things, cutting a cucumber up for salad for my son's 16th birthday party. Didn't realise until I noticed that the salad was turning red. Lol!! I stuck it in salt and that stopped the bleeding until I got to the hospital. I now have a strangley shaped finger. lol!!

Just tomorrow and Thursday left in the mines.

Isn't it great news about The Hobbit. Finally, it is going to be made. Albeit 2010 before it is released, but as we in this corner of CoE know, time passes quickly.

Hi Tom, good to see you and Seasons Greetings to you and yours.

Hugs to all and extra hugs to those I haven't mentioned.

Rose/Dracella xx
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: December 18, 2007 12:04
Yay! The Hobbit will Happen!!!

… and my chimney is swept and the stove is lit. I shan’t have to sleep in all my woollies tonight.

Fire is a deep security need for humans, and to be deprived of it, especially in cold climates causes a mood of gloom and helplessness. Even in warm climates it is essential for cooking. I have my suspicions that the automation and electrification of cooking and heating is behind many people’s need to smoke. There are people who only take three puffs of a cig and then leave it to burn out in the ash-tray. Perhaps their need is just to strike a light and make fire!

I’m going to go and make a piece of toast with my long brass fork instead of the pop-up toaster! :disco:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2007 03:01
:disco: Fly-by post here. The Hobbit will happen! My only sadness is that PJ isn't directing. But I'm really happy it will be done, and I'm sure to the highest quality. Yay. Off I go. Homework calls!!
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2007 03:31
OK here is a really short post...
the snow has melted enough for me to get to the post office on foot and so I'll mail cards out tomorrow.

Merry Christmas and :love: :hug: et: for everyone!

Will attempt to be in on thursday to read more postings.
awelyn418
Send Message
on: December 18, 2007 05:35
Vicarcat I am so glad that your snow is melting enough that you are able to get to the post office. How much snow did you get total?

Scots I am with you. I wish P.J. would have directed it but I am glad that The Hobbit will be made into a movie finally.

cirdaneth I am so glad your chimney is clean and you have warmth and fire once more. I agree about us humans needing fire. When we go camping in the summer even if it is so hot we still have to have that fire. It is so relaxing to watch and it brings such comfort to us. Or at least it does to me. I had one of my parents give me a DVD of a fire crackling and popping in a fireplace with Christmas carols in the background or you can leave them off and just listen to the sounds of the fire. I watch that and become so relaxed I have fell asleep twice watching it. So, hurray for fire.

Rose you stuck a fresh cut finger in salt. Didn't that sting? You are a brave woman. My mother had a strangely shaped finger. She held a firecracker in her hand and her brother put a match to it. Of course it exploded in her hand. She always showed us her finger when she gave her fireworks safety lecture. I miss my mom so much since she died especially at holiday time.

arienelle it is so good to hear from people that understand what my son is going through. What a sweet story about your granddad. Thank you for your card. I got it two days ago.

Morwin sorry you had a crappy day. I hope you have a better one tomorrow.

Swabby, your welcome and maybe we will get more snow before the winter is through . Keep your fingers crossed.

Dimple 25 in. I almost fainted. I like snow but I don't know about all that snow. I am only five feet tall. Keep Bruno close okay.

Thank you Mith, I like reading yours too and I can't believe you baked so many cookies. Sarah Lee look out. Take care and I hope you have a smooth move. I know you do this all the time but it must be hard to move about so much. Mith the gypsy. Your night out sounded very pretty with the added snow. Love and hugs right back at you.

Goodnight you wonderful people.

:love:
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2007 04:04
:wave: Good day everyone.

No, awelyn, the salt didn't sting, in fact it's the quickest way I know of stopping blood. It really, really doesn's sting. Makes me wonder where or why the saying 'rub salt in the wound' originated. That saying is supposed to mean that it makes the wound worse, but finding out about staunching blood and it not stinging, it doesn't quite make sense to me now. Lol!!

Hey ho .... oooh, I sounded like Old Tom. *giggles*

One more day to go and I can close the Black Gates behind me. :disco:

Oh, I love a coal fire, cirdaneth. I remember being 12 or 13 and my mum and dad would go out on a Sunday for a motorbike ride, leaving me alone in the house. I would stoke the fire right up the back of the chimney, pull the chair up close, turn on the radio and listen to all the great comedy shows, then wait for The Red Planet! *eyes mist over with the memories*.

It was also my job from being very young, to clear out the ashes from the grate, make paper nuts and set the fire for later in the day. Talk about Cinderella. Lol!!

Tell you what!! I wouldn't mind returning to those days, not meaning I want to be a child again, I mean back to how it was. Surely, it isn't just rose coloured glasses!!

I really despair at today. Is this what Tolkien was purporting to, do you think, with LotR, Sauron, the Ents, evil, even though the man denied allegories. I think there was a meaning in his words. *nods head*

Oh, I know there were wars and people still committed crimes, but at least gansters and gangs killed each other and not innocent people!! Time was you could leave your front door not only unlocked, but open! Neighbours said hello in stead of scuttling past, not wanting to get involved. Probably not so in your part of the world, cirdaneth, but it is like that in the urban areas. *sigh*

I could rant far more severely, especially when I see the UK becoming fuller and fuller and no one is stemming the tide ... we are going to sink!!

*holds hand to head and sways a little unsteadily with the fervour*. Apologies, folks, but something really irritated me this morning on the bus, and it would be crossing some stupid, politically correct line to say. :twitch*

*slides off soapbox*

Well, is everyone have lovely wintery weather? We are bitterly cold here in the steppes of Manchester. Lol! No snow yet, dang it, but lovelly and crisp and cold. I bought a lovely hand knitted hat off one of the Christmas Market stalls..... it was knitted in Nepal ... Fair Trade I might add one politically correct thing I don't mind ... one of those hats with ear flaps, pink and green and brown. Really, reallly warm and a pair of gloves to match. They are fingerless, but with a piece that fits over the ends of the fingers to make them into mittens. They are toasty warm too.

Hope you days get better Morwin. :hug:

Wow, Dimple 25" of snow!! We'll be lucky to see 25 cm.

Hi scots, Cat, Mith :hug:

Hi and hugs to everyone else. :hug:

*lifts wings and hits the nearest thermal. Wheels away into the afternoon sunlight, gliding easily across Mirrormere and onto the Lonely Mountain in time for tea with Uncle Glaurung*

xxxx Rose/Dracella xxxx
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2007 06:22
That really is some fantastic news about the hobbit movie and the other one???? whatever it's about. I just wish they had started on them much sooner because some of us aren't getting any younger.

I've always thought that salt would sting a wound, probably because of that old expression, but it stands to reason that it shouldn't hurt because our sweat and tears contain a lot of salt. Maybe blood does too----does anybody know?

I don't know about smoking cigarettes and any primordial needs, Cirdaneth. Having smoked the awful things for 28 years and nearly dying from it, I truly despise them. I agree though, that there is definitely something fulfilled by watching a nice, big fire burning. I know it meant so many good things to our ancestors, (safety at night, light, warmth and an intrinsic association with food and eating) so I can easily believe that we instinctively enjoy looking into a crackling fire.

I think I know what you're talking about and how you feel, Rose. I can also see the other side of the coin and relate to it as well, however. There is one thing I'll say with a conviction that could not be stronger, and that is that there are good and bad people to be found in all races, religions and nationalities. In my lifetime, I've been offended much more often by my own kind than by any other. A huge influx of Hispanics into America is a big issue right now, and again, I am of two minds about it. One part of me says that I must be a good host and welcome them to my land because 96% of my ancestors did the same thing and came to America from other countries. (They didn't turn out to be very good neighbors either----just ask the Indians) But then, another part of me says "Look how the world that I know and love is being diluted and changed. Look at the burdens they create for our social system" It seems to me that if conditions in their home countries were better, then they wouldn't want to leave. The rich and powerful nations on this planet could help the weaker/poorer ones to improve their conditions if we would do it, but our priorities seem to be elsewhere, or so it seems to me. There is no easy answer, is there? During this season especially, we often hear the words "Peace on Earth, good will to man", but those thoughts are on my mind all year long because I see us getting worse, not better. We seem to be a race with a mind of metal and wheels that is bent on our own self-destruction, and I wish we would stop and look at what we're doing, but in the words of Jethro Tull, "The train keeps going and it won't slow down"
I get irritated when I'm crammed in with a bunch of people, even when they're all behaving themselves, Rose, so I can certainly understand your frustration. I'm just proud of you for not incinerating them with your fiery breath.

Swabby climbs down from the 14 foot-high scafolding he calls a "soapbox"

This is Tommy's last day of school for a while and his Christmas break commences tomorrow. I hope you all get a nice break too.

Have a great Wednesday, Swabby
arienelle666
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2007 07:34
Greetings to all. I had to smile at all the other fly-by postings, I am glad it is not just me in a hectic turmoil, I don't feel so guilty now!
It made some very interesting reading what you were both saying Swabby and Rose. Where I live sounds about the same, and it saddens me to be in a world like it is now. I too look back and think of the community spirit we once had in this little town before it 'expanded' with new estates and cramped together ugly flats and buildings and I often wish we could go back in time where we felt safe to walk down our own street and everybody knew everyone else. At least back then you knew who to avoid! Lol! It is so sad for the youngsters growing up now, as they dare not go out as teenagers unless they are in a gang, and that only draws more trouble. People are becoming more and more isolated, walking everywhere with their heads down and hoping to be invisible so no one starts on them. Very, very 'scourging of the Shire'. I do believe that Tolkien saw this coming and was trying to give us a warning - 'the woods will burn in the fires of industry', 'the age of man is over the time of the orc has come'.....Well, here it is folks! Lots of clues all over LOTR, the Professor knew what he was talking about. Politically correct issues are a strange thing indeed, where does one draw the line between political correctness and self preservation?

You gave me 'food for thought' too Cirdaneth, with your remark about smoking and open fires, and as a smoker myself (politically/socially incorrect habit, lol!) I have to agree you do have a definite point. It is the one habit I have been loathed to give up for reasons of comfort, but I never really gave any thought as to why. Thank you for that intelligent and thought provoking reasoning, something for me to ponder. Unfortunately I actually enjoy a cigarette, though it is a foul habit and I shall master it one day! Once again, each to their own I suppose.

Must dash,
Blessed be all of you,
Arienelle
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2007 07:52
Thank you, awelyn, for your Christmas card.

Old Tom, I was afraid that giant, invisible buck-toothed hullis had made a meal of you. Where ya been?
Nay, no mere Hullis could make a meal of Old Tom.

...None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the Master
His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster!

As to where I've been, I've been spending many hours in cyber Middle-earth (well, at least in Eriador) playing Lord of the Rings Online (primarily) in the guise of an Elven minstrel.

Below is a signature I made for the minstrel some time back. The regular Shirriffs tend to slough off some of their less pleasant tasks on their honourary members, particularly if they are not Hobbits. In this image he may be seen patiently listening to one of the frequent complaints made by Lobelia and Lotho "Pimple" Sackville-Baggins. (Note the two-feathered cap he wears as a badge of his prestigious position.)

Of course Bombadil and his pretty lady appear in LOTRO.

Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2007 08:05
SWABBY:Bruno is always inside with us except when I go for walks with him which are half and hour each time also when it's time to shovel he absolutely wants to help he INSISTS!!!!! He carries the shovel in his mouth and here we go running after him lol !
I understand you and Rose and how much it can be frustating sometimes because I feel the same way!

We are about a week before Christmas and here is my special wish to my FoF friends;
May the light and wisdom of the Valar
The peaceful heart of the Hobbits
The very good will of man for a better
world
Be with you today and forever

With all my heart, love and friendship
Have a Merry Christmas and a wonderful year
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2007 08:09
You might also be interested in reading some very silly tales I've written about Curulinde. These are not meant to be taken seriously, and are not a true reflection of my in-game character.

Link: The Tale of Curulinde (silly version)

I have written a serious backstory for him as well. Unfortunately, it is in a private forum that you all cannot see unless you are a member of my LOTRO kinship. However, if you are really interested I can re-post it here when I am able.
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2007 01:04
Sindy gallops through on a Meara stallion, trailing tinsel and garland......

HOBBIT!!!!!!! Or should I say HOBBITS!!!!!!!

SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2007 01:27
Just a very quick post,Swabby, I forgot to tell you that you can come and eat at my dinner table whenever it pleases you,I'll let you share my kitchen and I promise I'll go easy on you!

Have to go have a good night all
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2007 01:54
If anyone wants an enjoyable read, check out the new magazine on CoE ~ The Realmer's Digest.

Click here

Great pics, OT and loved your Tale of Curulinde. Thanks.

Lol, Sindy. Watch out for Smaug!!

Blood is salty, swabby. Mine is anyway. Having suffered from Epistaxis (heavy nosebleeds), I have tasted enough. Hmmm, perhaps I am a vampire as well as a dragon. Lol!!

Night, Dimple. :hug:

Night all. :hug:

Rose/Dracella/Drusilla the Vampire.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2007 03:09
Greetings all. This is a fly-by post, as I am in a workshop for 4 days. Wanted to share some wonderful news

THE HOBBIT will be a reality !!!!!!!. :disco: :cheers: :disco: :cheers:
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2007 05:07
I am inclined to believe that the professor did, as you said,
see these things coming" Arienelle. I think there is no doubt that he knew about wars and the tremendous suffering they cause, and how technology gives man the even greater means to carry out the evil that is in his heart. I used to think that mankind was slowly evolving, becoming more cerebral and less attuned to his violent animal side, but recent events have shown that some of us are still likely to prefer the heavy, skull-crushing club over the negotiating table. If I say more about it, I risk stepping on someone's toes, and if I keep quiet, I am negligent in my duties as one who wants peace.

Well, that makes perfect sense then, Rose. If blood is salty, then putting salt on a wound shouldn't hurt at all. I had a little two-passenger go-kart when I was about 12 or 13, and I was giving this kid a ride in it one day when the dufus stuck his right hand underneath the right-rear tire. Of course he started hollering and I immediately came to a stop. His hand was missing a good bit of skin and he ran yelping and crying into the house to find his mother. Upon seeing his ground-up, bloody paw, she employed the best mountain folk emergency treatment she could think of and thrust his whole hand into a jar of kerosene, which caused the frequency and volume of his hollering to increase significantly. My young mind being a sponge as it was, I learned that, while kerosene might aid in the prevention of infection, it does nothing for the pain.

That is very sweet of you to offer me a place at your supper table, Dimple. And to share your kitchen too? I wouldn't dare, dear Dimple! That is your exclusive domain! I would be more than content to eat your food, drink your drink and smile.

Have a great Thursday everyone! Swabby
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2007 07:18
Joy of joys, I'm so excited for The Hobbit movie! Thanks for the news, Scots and for the link, Neenime.

This was going to be a bit more but time is running out. The neighbor is stopping over to borrow cookie sheets. Now how would she have guessed that I would have some, lol?

Thanks for the E-card, Dimple!

Rose, hi back at you. Interesting about the salt on the wound thing.

Thought I saw an elvish looking gal riding through here on a beautiful steed. Rumour has it she is off chasing that ranger.

Arienelle, people do indeed keep more to themselves in the city areas. That is sad indeed. But on a positive note, a smile, kind word or gesture can make someone's day and I try to remember and practice that. We may not change the world but we can all brighten it with some kindness here and there.

It is sad but true that much of the mind set of this country is of wheels and metal, Swabby. That was quite a climb from your soapbox but well worth the effort as I quite agree.

Rose we had a coal furnace when I was young also. I remember standing over the register to warm up in the morning while I dressed. The mornings were cold as the fire was covered during the night to keep the coals hot.

It is good to hear you have heat now, Cirdaneth. Stay warm and toasty. I just love hearing about your small town.

Good to see you again, Tom. Merry Christmas to you and Goldberry.

Well this is short but time is slipping by so fast. Today is hubby's last day in Michigan then he's off until Jan 2 in California.

Lots to do but the sun is shining and love abounds. Gotta run...getting my hair done in an hour. Have a blessed and wonderful day!
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2007 09:28
Hi guys

Sorry I haven't been around much there seemed to be so much to do for Christmas and I just got around to reading ll your posts. Mum is still a bit fragile, after the stroke she was choked up with the cold and now she has a virus which meant she was having difficulty keeping food down but she seems to be getting a little better now. I think most of her problems happened when she had to go to the hospital for tests following her stroke. Hospitals are full of sick people and are the last place anyone vulnerable should have to visit!

Finished up today for a fortnight's holiday - I always make Christmas my main time off work and am really looking forward to the break.

Tom it was great to hear from you you have been away too long.

Swabby you have come through so much and are a true survivor I take my hat off to you - at least I would if I ever wore one!

If I dont get back before Christmas Happy holidays everyone.

Love and hugs

HT:heart:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2007 04:11
Thankfully I am now on Christmas holiday and can spend a little more time here with my FoF friends!

I'd like to hear more about that secret weapon of yours Awelyn.

I can only imagine what those Ozark elves look like, swabby. They wouldn't be anything like that unusual Santa-type guy on the Harley commercial, would they?

I'm expecting a Christmas picture of you and Ara-baby, Mith. Looking goofy never stopped me.

Great to see you again, Tom! Now didn't I see you on the children of Hurin site?

I know that you'll enjoy having your daughter at home, Dimple. I hope that it's a special time for both of you.

High praises for chimney sweeps and two hobbit movies, cirdaneth!!! Life is good. :disco:

Met with the social worker at the medical center where my father-in-law is staying. She voiced a concern with his depression and said that he has mentioned commiting suicide. She suggested thinking of having him and his wife move to an assisted living facility,something I had suggested to hubby. We're going to try to let him come home for a few hours on Christmas day so that he can be with family. If prayer is something you do, I would appreciate your remembering him and his family.

I must visit my care-receiver tomorrow. We found out this week that she has throat cancer. If it goes untreated, her throat may swell up and "close". She's in her 90's and may be too fragile for surgery. It may be my job to be with her as her days on earth come to an end, though I pray that she has many more.

I am going out with friends tomorrow night. Hopefully I can focus on some fun for a little while.

Thinking of you all, though I haven't mentioned each one by name. You are all in my heart and my thoughts.

MT
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2007 10:21
Hello and Happy Christmas Season to some of the most wonderful people in the world. I just love our little community here. Not much happening in my neck of the woods. Same old, same old. Did have a few interesting events recently. On Tuesday I filled a prescription for an antibiotic to clear up my sinuses and post nasal drip. I had a severe reaction to it and was violently ill from about 8:00 p.m. til 2:00 a.m. Thought I was going to wretch up my toenails. I spent all day Wenesday trying to regain my strength. Finally on Thursday, after many hours of sleep and just resting I was able to have a normal day.

School is out for our district until January 3. Yesterday, (Thursday,) I slept in til 8:00 a.m. and then promptly got up made breakfast, cleaned up and went back to bed until 12:30. How pleasant to just lie-a-bed until I felt like getting up.

I am enjoying my Christmas tree and my lovely home with all of its winter decorations. I have lots of plans for this Christmas break and I hope I am able to accomplish some of them.

First and foremost is to prepare for the company we will be having over the next few days. My husband's sister and her boyfriend are coming up for a visit today. My almost son-in-law's parents may also be here for dinner. Then they will be here again Saturday afternoon to watch the Dallas Cowboys football game with us. All in all it should be a fun weekend. All of our kids will be here with us on Christmas Eve.

So enough about me and mine. I hope you are all doing well and looking forward to warm family times.

Dimple that is a lot of snow to shovel.

Sindarinelvish-I sent a p.m. to you asking for the list of people to send cards to. I didn't get it because my box was too full, so I emptied my box.

I apologize to all of you because most of you will be getting an e-card from me. I want to make sure my greeting arrives before Chirstmas.

So off I go now to make your cards.
With much joy and love and best wishes for a blessed season.
Brandywine
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2007 10:25
:disco: :cheers: Yay for The Hobbit!!!! What good news for us and very welcome to bring us some happiness from some of lifes sad times.
MT, what a lovely photo matey.
I will pray for your f-i-l MT, and for your care reciever as well.
Go out and have a great time with your friends. You deserve it.
Tom, how lovely to hear from you again. Very merry Christmas to you and Goldberry.
HT, prayers for your mum as well. Thank God the stroke was minor. She sounds like a very strong person so hopefully she will soon shake off these viruses.
Mith, what you said about a kind gesture to people...reminds me, my pastor once asked us what we do every day for God....my thoughts were showing His love by passing it on to others in subtle kind gestures and words of encouragement.
I agree, Swabby. We elves and hobbits of this world are still in constant battle with orcses and evils. The strange thing is I can actually see the elf and hobbit in some people as I walk through the streets. I see the beautiful peaceful green shire in so many areas, and as I walk a lot, I see the gorgeous magical woods where elves dwell. I also see the evil in some people and the awful bits of technology used wrongly and abused that threaten what is left of the goodness.
The Professor must have certainly seen all this as well and much more... as we do. I believe that his world of Middle Earth is very much allegorical.
Hope your last day in the mines passes quickly Rose. Thats very interesting about the salt. I wouldve thought it would sting as well.
Those nice little things you tell us about your mum, Awelyn, keep her very much alive in her wisdom and caring for your family.
I will be looking for that book to come out and will look for your part in it. Did you talk to him anonymously or did you give him your name?
Dimple, hope you have a great time with your daughter. What a lovely wish you wrote for us.:heart:
Cirdaneth, glad you have your fire going. These temps have been a bit chilly of late. Your new pub sounds lovely and just in time to go raise a glass to the Professor on his upcoming birthday!
Arienelle, I cant stand all of this 'political correctness' nonsense. I could go on and on about it but my soapbox would surely give way before I finished. Aww, bless, you need some rest. That is not enough sleep for you to get by on. I will sometime in the next week get some time to send you my schedule. Cant wait!
Blessings to you all that I havent mentioned. Hope your holidays will go smoothly and peacefully and may you see the joy of the season through it all.
Brandy...we sure would like to see a new pic of the gorgeous little lad.

Brandy! you posted when I was. Oooh wow, glad you got over that reaction!! Hey, I know its still night time in the states. What are you doing up at this time? Go back to sleep girl...you have to prepare for company later. Hope it all goes really nice.

[Edited on 21/12/2007 by callë]
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: December 21, 2007 02:26
I haven't forgotten you, there's just been a lot to do, to get the desk clean by Christmas. Soon, I will start my Christmas holiday by going downtown for the last bit of Christmas shopping.

Hooray for the news on the Hobbit movie! Hope it will fulfill our expectations. :cheers:

Swabby, you put it very well, about the minds of people nowadays being set on metal and wheels. But, I believe that some day, the world gets so badly against a wall that the ways of thinking must change. Maybe then, Elves and Hobbits will take over.

This weekend, I'll concentrate on Christmas preparations; but, I'll sure pop in during the holidays.

Have a great weekend, everybody! :hug:
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2007 03:28
Sorry to hear about your father-in-law, MT and your care-receiver. I will keep them in my prayers also.

Hi to everyone else and hope you are ready for the Holidays.

My last day was fine in the Mines. I got my wages, which was the most important bit, lol. No bonus though, but did get a lovely bouquet and a digital radio. :twitch: Well, they are men/orcs, so what can you expect. Lol No offence to the lovely men in the FoF Room. So the Black Gate closes and I am off down the road. I am quite ready for another adventure.

Just wondering if anyone has checked out the CoE Realmer's Digest magazine. It really is a good read. Click here. Go look, make yourself comfortable and enjoy.

Busy weekend ahead, last minutes preparations, etc. A house full of dragon relations can be quite daunting. Lol!!

Hugs everybody.

Rose/Dracella/Drusilla the Vampire.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2007 03:41
SWABBYeople today are more knowledgeable about technology, they read more, they have better access to information with internet and all the papers around the world. but with all that, it does'nt make him(man) a more ''human person'' if you understand what I mean.We must not forget that deep down ,man still a'' primate'' and still fight for the same things than our ancestors: territory possession and power.All the technology and knowledge won't change that!All the men in the world have a very big job to do: work on themselves, the ''inner self'', they have to have faith and will, they have to compromise they have to understand that knowledge without the will to make a better world is nothing!
Einstein said:'' imadination is more important than knowledge'' and I agree with him.Let us be imaginative and create a better world for all the living beings in this world because this is our home and we have no other.
I'm so glad we have the work of the good Prof. with us and so grateful for all of you my FoF friends:heart:

MITH:You're so right about what you said to Arienele.People are so busy most of the time they keep for themselves, they have a hard time to see what is going on around them but a kind word is so welcome and appreciated.You know, when I go downtown and take the bus I always say ''Hi and thank you ''to the bus driver much to his surprise, he seems to like it because everytime he smiles at me.Sometimes we forget the simple things: say hello, open a door for an older person and SMILE.It's just sad

HT:Hope your mom will recover and have a resting Christmas break

MTMS:My prayers go to your family andalso your care-receiver. Hoping you can have a little bit of fun and joy during this time of the year.Take care.
Thanks for your card and I love your pic

BRANDY: I'm glad you're feelinf better now!Have a wonderful Christmas eve with your family.I love Christmas decoration in the house too ,make the house looks like a magic place with all the lights

Thanks AWELYN and RANDI for the lovely cards:heart:

Must go have lots to do before the big day!
A good day to you all

ROSE: Have a joyful adventure during the holidays

MORWIN: have a good Christmas preparations and double hooray for The Hobbit too!!!!!:heart:
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2007 04:30
I hope that you are right, Morwin------I pray to God that you are right, and that we'll pull ourselves back from the abyss before it's too late. I want my children and their children to live in a world that's at least as good as the one I've lived in, but in order for that to happen, much must change, and quickly. Saruman-like thinking (Aggression, greed and hatred) must give way to hobbit-like thinking, and make peace and the love of the good earth our number one priority. If I was all-powerful, I'd go around the world removing all the bad leaders and dropping them off on a tiny island surrounded by sharks, barracuda and stinging jellyfish. They could be bad to one another to thier heart's content and no one would care. Installing the right kind of leaders in their places would be more difficult, however, and I'd have to assemble a council to figure that out. I'd like to say that they'd be elected by "the people", but it has been shown that "the people" can sometimes make the most awful choices. Perhaps I'd limit the candidates to Tolkein-loving grandmothers and gentle fellows who love poetry and like to cook. What do you all think? What qualities should a leader have?

Violently ill is not good, Brandy. I hope your doctor knows about the bad reaction so you won't be prescribed anything similar again.

I'm so sorry that things have been so rough for you, MT. For what it is worth, my dad resisted being put in assisted living mightily, but after he'd been there for a while, he started liking it. They made sure he took his medications properly, fed him nutritious food, dressed him in clean clothes and even fulfilled some of his social needs, so of course he started looking and feeling better. The great score-keeper in the sky has not been blind to your greatful giving of yourself, of that I'm sure.

I acknowledge the removal of your non-existent hat, HT, and I thank you for it. I also hope your mother returns to full health right away.

Dimple, that Bruno sounds like a fine dog. Do you ever give him little treats?

My son is having a little get-together with some of his classmates (plus Jamie, of course) today and I guess I need to go buy some potato chips, corn chips and sodas, etc. We'll probably go see Sweeny Todd this weekend.

Have a great Friday! Swabby

Late entry: Men---orcs? Surely you gest, Rose! I'm kidding, of course. I know only too well the habits and behavior patterns of my gender. May happy times seize you and not let you go.

You're such a sweet person, Dimple. I'll bet that bus driver looks forward to seeing you. I'm going to nominate you for "president of North America"

[Edited on 21/12/2007 by swabbythewhite]
awelyn418
Send Message
on: December 21, 2007 07:19
So many posts. So I will try to answer them all. A Herculean task but I will give it a go.

Old Tom Bombadil I loved the graphics and sir you have a great wit. I read your story and was laughing so hard and as I have said before I think laughter just cleanses the soul. It was a great story that was illustrated very well.

Rose, yes I did read the Realmer's Digest and it is a wonderful read. I submitted a story of my testimony from my realm but I had trouble it was not long enough and I submitted it again but there must have been something wrong with it. But I will prevail I will try again until I get something in there for my realm. Yah you are on your new adventure. I bet a load just dropped off your shoulders. Have a Merry Christmas dear dragon.Thank you for all you do for COE. The salt not stinging was a eye opener and it is just logical that it wouldn't.

Swabby do remember oh I guess maybe it was a year ago that we heard rumors that the Hobbit would be a movie. How excited we were until we found out it was a hoax. But not this time because it will be a reality. You are so busy and is your son home for his Christmas vacation? I agree we need more of a Hobbit, Elf mentality to our world. I am so saddened by all the cutting and clearing of land to make more houses when there are so many empty ones. I want to shout but what about the earth what is the best for the earth. I fear my one voice would not make a difference . Oh wait but yes one small voice can make a difference. I will take the ring,he said,though I do not know the way. Yes, if Frodo can make a difference so can we and I will not fear.

Dimple you are quite welcome for the card. I love sending them and thank you for your note in the card you sent me. Well, have fun with Bruno and cleaning and baking. Have a grand time. Think of me alas not one flake of snow on the ground:cry: . Merry Christmas and thank you for the blessing.

Morwin I sense excitement and contentment in your post have a great holiday and weekend. Thank you for all you do for COE.

Calle so good to hear from you. You are like a refreshing drink of water. No, I gave him my name and by the way he is still looking for people to interview. Yes, I like to find a person especially at this time of year who looks so defeated and down when I am shopping and give them a big smile. People almost always respond by smiling back. Have a wonderful Christmas.

Brandy, I love getting e-cards. I am so glad that you are all right now. Allergies are so crazy because you never know until you take the medicine. My mom was allergic to penicillin and she took it for years until she had a severe reaction. So, God bless you and have a great holiday and hug your grandson often. You lucky grandmother. Did he have a little outfit that said baby's first Christmas?

MTMS, I have been showing a lot of people your picture. My daughter said aw. It was great getting your card. I am going to look at your picture often and think of ALEP. I am sending info to the girl from my play she asked for it. I think I told you about her. She is a ringer too. Have a great time with your friends. I will be praying for your F-I-L and your care-receiver. I think if someone has to go what better person to hold their hand but you dear friend.Merry Christmas.

HT happy holidays to you. Have a great time off from work.

Mith, I know you are going to have a hectic time but take some time for yourself. You are going to have a lot to do and you need to be refreshed and ready for anything. Each day ALEP draws nearer. If I stop and think about it I am so excited. Merry Christmas to you dear friend and room mate.

Neenime , I hope your workshop was not boring.

Arienelle in the words of Treebeard don't be hasty. Relax sometimes.") Have a great holiday and blessings to you.

Can you tell I am re-reading LOTR.

I wanted to share a family tradition that we have at Christmas. It is called the banging of the pots and pans. When my children were smaller they started my youngest out on this tradition. They would get up very early. My husband and I would still be sleeping . Well, sometimes we would pretend to be sleeping The oldest child would fix coffee and they would turn on the Christmas music ,light the candles. Then they would march down the hall beating the pots and pans with big wooden spoons. We would stumble out of bed to be greeted by smiling children and mugs of coffee. We would all hug and say Merry Christmas. We would sit down my husband would read the Christmas story from the Bible and then chaos would begin with the ripping open of the gifts. You would hear Oh thank you just what I wanted or oh look at this. After we were finished. I would put my Christmas casserole in the oven. We have it every year. It consists of breakfast sausage and eggs and cheese. I would serve it with biscuits and cinnamon rolls. It is a Christmas tradition. Then I would sneak back to bed for a little nap. Of course my children are grown now but if my grandchildren are here my youngest daughter has them do it. HMM, maybe I will get up and pay her back this year. no grandkids coming this year. I hope I did not bore anyone. Sorry it was so long. Have a great day.

cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: December 21, 2007 01:04
Oh dear! I can't keep up with all this. Just be sure that I laugh with you, shed tears with you, and worry and pray too.

I've been out in the village delivering cards today. About 40 of them. Temperature sub-zero in thick mist. Had myscarf wrapped round my nose and mouth. At one stage my specs misted up with my breath, and when I went to wipe them it was not mist but frost ... like on a windscreen! Left a white line on my black glove. I guess I walked a couple of miles if you count all the driveways and flights of steps. Many of the houses have steep approaches, others are down rocky little side-tracks, or tucked away behind barns.

At the top of the street (we only have one) area few more modern houses and bungalows. The road steepens here and as I plodded up the hill a little pick-up came down towards me bearing the legend "BYWATER Liquid Propane Gas Supplies" ... told you I live in The Shire didn't I?

My blasted phone is off again ... second time in 10 days. Same probelm at the exchange, but the engineer says the whole unit must be replaced and he's not qualified to do it. I hope they fix it before the holiday. Mobiles don't work from inside the house and I feel very cut off, despite the fact that broadband is working just fine.

Bought a lot of goodies in waitrose yesterday in hope somebody might drop in. If not I'll eat them all myself. Was feeling very emotional and almost broke down in the shop. Not like me at all. A friend phoned my mobile to say she was in town and would pick me up with my loot. I just flopped into her car and burst into tears. I can't understand why the Christmases are getting worse rather than better.

It must be the Winter Solstice. For anyone who's interested the moment of solstice, when the sun enters Capricorn, will be at 6:08am GMT tomorrow morning (22nd). I can usually feel things picking up almost at once.

Had a good laugh at your writing OTB. Cheered me up no end.
<< First1415161718
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email